2008 INSEAD MBA Admissions Chat with Anne Fazio-Bresman and Mark Norbury

2008 INSEAD MBA Admissions Chat with Anne Fazio-Bresman and Mark Norbury

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending an e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 12:55:09 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome all applicants to the INSEAD chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about INSEAD. To make a sound application decision and get accepted at the school of your choice, you need to know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask the experts about this outstanding business school.  I also want to welcome from INSEAD: Anne Fazio-Bresman, Assistant Director of Marketing; Mark Norbury, Director EMBA program.

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 12:55:38 PM)
Thank you for having us.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 12:55:43 PM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 12:56:02 PM)
We'll obviously focus on the full time MBA despite what my role suggests...

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 12:56:06 PM)
Please post your questions, and I will choose as many as possible from the ones you post and our guests will respond. You can also post follow up questions.

MBA2010 (Dec 3, 2007 12:56:14 PM)
Hello there. Will INSEAD send final decisions for Round 1 on December 21st or can applicants expect decisions to be sent earlier?

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 12:56:39 PM)
Mark- OK.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 12:57:03 PM)
Hi MBA2010 - that is the deadline for decisions and these are all sent out concurrently.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 12:57:26 PM)
What is new at INSEAD?

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 12:58:06 PM)
Well, that is a difficult question - there are always exciting things happening here!

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 12:58:16 PM)
Could you give us an example or two?

cray (Dec 3, 2007 12:58:47 PM)
Mark, can we ask questions about EMBA as well?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 12:58:53 PM)
We're seeing a striking increase in applications with Singapore as busy as France; we are still increasing entrepreneurship modules all the time; we have innovative experiential learning in Africa and many other exciting courses.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 12:59:03 PM)
Hi Cray - sure, no problem re: EMBA questions.

Hopeful08 (Dec 3, 2007 12:59:20 PM)
Is INSEAD receptive to updates from applicants before the decision date, such as promotions, new test scores, etc?

funme (Dec 3, 2007 1:00:12 PM)
So when are the final decisions coming out for Round 1?

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:00:21 PM)
Hi Hopeful08 - you can certainly send updates, but there is no guarantee that the information will be considered past the official deadline.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:00:35 PM)
Hi funme - 21 Dec. for final decisions.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:00:53 PM)
Mark, could you address some of INSEAD's initiatives in entrepreneurship?

cray (Dec 3, 2007 1:01:06 PM)
Anne, how important are recommendations on a scale of 1-10?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:01:59 PM)
Yes Linda: we have a new business ventures course, a management buyout course with a managing partner from Permira, a reality TV turnaround course ("24" meets business simulation), as well as field trips in Silicon Valley, China and India.

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:02:10 PM)
Cray - Recommendations are clearly important. They are a way in which for us to assess a candidate from a third-party perspective. Please carefully consider who you ask.

asa (Dec 3, 2007 1:02:25 PM)
Anne: Same questions as for the alumni interview feedback.

andytran (Dec 3, 2007 1:02:51 PM)
Mark: I applied for class starting in Jan 2008 earlier this year. Earlier I was waitlisted and then later I did not receive any seat...does INSEAD encourage such applicants to reapply...and if so do I submit all the essays or only the re-applicant one?

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:03:50 PM)
Asa - absolutely it is very important. Our alumni have completed the programme and understand a potential candidate's fit at the school.

Hopeful08 (Dec 3, 2007 1:03:54 PM)
Anne, can you talk a little more about INSEAD's career services, particularly for candidates looking to go into less-traditional fields (not MC, finance, etc) or smaller companies?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:04:16 PM)
Hi Andytran - if something in your application has materially changed such as a new job, new GMAT score etc, then do reapply; otherwise it would be tough.

asa (Dec 3, 2007 1:04:30 PM)
Mark: How are the consulting opportunities for the Middle East compared to those in Europe?  Is there any increase in recruitment for this region?

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:05:34 PM)
Hopeful08 - as with any top MBA programme career services plays a vital role. We work with hundreds of companies with regards to recruiting. I would recommend taking a look at our website: www.insead.edu/mba and download the PDF on career decisions. There is a wealth of valuable information in the booklet.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:05:35 PM)
Hi asa - Middle East is increasing in importance for us with the new Abud Dhabi research and education centre. At the same time Europe & Asia remain the centres of gravity for consulting firms- but these centres of gravity (London, NYC, Paris, Singapore, HK), can be for global roles.

cray (Dec 3, 2007 1:05:53 PM)
Anne: I am an entrepreneur and I will be glad to be involved with INSEAD because I feel that I do some things wrong. Is there a chance to get a better offer in terms of tuition based on the fact that I am located in a not so wealthy country?

cray (Dec 3, 2007 1:06:04 PM)
Mark: For the EMBA, what are the accommodation facilities?

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:06:43 PM)
Mark, what percentage of students study at more than one campus?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:06:44 PM)
Hi cray - on campus residences (hotels), not included in the tuition fee.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:07:06 PM)
Hi Linda, 73% of MBAs study at more than one campus.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:07:13 PM)

goenka (Dec 3, 2007 1:07:22 PM)
Mark: hHaving a family business work experience of 9 years, knowledge of French and German and GMAT of 640, what else should one work on to improve the application.....applying for Jan 09's first deadline?

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:07:45 PM)
Cray - the tuition fee is the same regardless of which country you are from and which position you hold. We offer a number of scholarships - I would suggest taking a look at our website: www.insead.edu/mba - there is an entire section on financing your MBA which will be helpful.

asa (Dec 3, 2007 1:08:11 PM)
Anne: Can a person move to Singapore for just one term - considering he/she was selected for the Fontainebleau campus?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:08:12 PM)
Linda - for the triple campus experience (Wharton as well as both INSEAD campuses) is about 15% or 120 a year.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:08:39 PM)
Very impressive. How do the participants at multiple campuses handle job search?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:09:14 PM)
Hi goenka - it will depend very much on career aspirations (or growth aspirations for the business); you may actually want to think about EMBA which is a great model for entrepreneurs and business owners, since you're still in the business while getting a world class degree.

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:09:21 PM)
Asa - yes of course. We have 5 periods of 2 months each - you are required to remain on your starting campus through your core course work (mid-P3). After that you may exchange for 1 period to the other campus. We guarantee 1 period of campus exchange.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:09:38 PM)
Linda - we find people using the Wharton Exchange are clear that they want a job in the US.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:09:52 PM)
So it actually enhances their job search.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:10:26 PM)
Yes. It's a big part of the value (similarly Wharton MBAs coming to INSEAD love access to the top European and Asian opportunities).

cray (Dec 3, 2007 1:10:27 PM)
I am highly trained in new developed technologies: NLP, Non-violent communication and I am improving everyday my Emotional inteligence, however I am a bit old (37). Do I have a real chance?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:11:02 PM)
Hi cray - you're an EMBA profile from my intuitive reaction.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:11:17 PM)
Do you have advice for applicants aiming for your deadline in two days? For applicants aiming for your February deadline?

goenka (Dec 3, 2007 1:11:57 PM)
Mark: Yes, but, I was interested in switching over to finance, and hence would like to do a regular MBA...so, since I have a year before I start my MBA, how can I bring more importance to my application?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:12:17 PM)
Linda - for the deadline in two days, if you do not feel confident about the full file including essays, references, GMAT etc, then you should wait for the next round.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:13:20 PM)
Goenka - then you're thinking the right way in going for full time; see if you can work on finance related projects in your business; work hard on your GMAT, particularly quant & see if you can get a referee from the finance sector.

rajesh (Dec 3, 2007 1:13:41 PM)
Anne: Is it true that one needs a co-signer for getting a loan in France? I was told that this is a recent development.

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:14:17 PM)
Rajesh - yes, it is true you do need a co-signer for a getting a loan in France.

spatel (Dec 3, 2007 1:14:47 PM)
Anne: Hi I had a question about the word limits for the essays.. are the questions that do not say "approx." ridgid word counts?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:15:35 PM)
Spatel - you should stick to your word count given: remember you have tired alumni and team members reading through thousands of these applications - make them happy with concise brilliance.

cray (Dec 3, 2007 1:16:05 PM)
Mark: For EMBA what are the most important factors to consider? 

pm (Dec 3, 2007 1:16:22 PM)
Anne: For people with experience of less than 4 years - what factors would the admissions committee consider important?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:17:15 PM)
Cray - leadership & managerial experience; ambition & drive to develop further, even if senior - plus the usual INSEAD requirements: internationalism, analytics, emotional intelligence.

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:17:21 PM)
Hi pm - you should consider 4 facets: leadership potential, international mindset, the ability to contribute and academic excellence - this applies for all applicants.  You should ensure however that you have a minimum of 2 years of experience.

MBA2010 (Dec 3, 2007 1:17:26 PM)
Mark: Were applications up this year? If yes, by how many percent?

caro (Dec 3, 2007 1:17:53 PM)
Anne: Hello, I have done my interviews two weeks ago for Sept R1. Question 1) Is it possible for me to get the reply before the 21st? 2) What are the criteria to qualify for an early decision?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:18:25 PM)
MBA2010 - applications have been growing strongly, but we do not release percentages (suffice to say easily double digit).

cray (Dec 3, 2007 1:18:51 PM)
Mark, what do you understand by analytics? 

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:19:01 PM)
Caro- the decisions will be sent on the 21st regardless - we don't have an early decision response round.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:19:32 PM)
Anne: Many schools have been encouraging early career candidates with less than two years to apply if they feel they are ready. Is INSEAD planning to do so?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:19:54 PM)
Cray - reasonable quant in GMAT, or a track record of performance in quantitative subjects (e.g. mechanics, software development, finance), or a science undergrad (at a good level in a good school).

spatel (Dec 3, 2007 1:20:25 PM)
Mark: what emphasis does the GMAT score have in relation to the other parts of the application. Can solid work experience, references, etc. make up for a lower score?

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:20:26 PM)
We really recommend a minimum of 2 years - the INSEAD benefit is from peer-to-peer learning and therefore you need experience.

inseadaspir (Dec 3, 2007 1:20:34 PM)
Anne: Hi, have you sent out admits to any R1 applicants yet?

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:21:28 PM)
Anne, how is recruiting for your December grads? How is interviewing going for your July grads?

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:21:44 PM)
Inseadaspir - not to my knowledge - the date of admit notifications is Dec 21st.

pm (Dec 3, 2007 1:22:00 PM)
Mark: Would a score of 680 and 5.5 for Essay be considered to be a competitive score?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:22:40 PM)
Spatel - GMAT is one part of the whole and it's usually a threshold factor i.e. you need a reasonable score (we advise about 70 -75% in both quant & verbal without a formal minimum) to have a solid application: the rest is in essays, experience and the interviews.

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:23:09 PM)
Linda - recruitment is going very well - for July grads at graduation job placement was over 90% and December is looking just as strong!

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:23:27 PM)
pm - the average is 703 but that sounds like a fine score if you have other good elements in your application e.g. work experience, undergrad, essays, references.

jb (Dec 3, 2007 1:23:48 PM)
Mark: I see there are no guaranteed loans for the INSEAD admitted candidates. Almost all US top schools provide this. I am from India and I am relying on guaranteed loans without co-signer for doing MBA. Why doesn't INSEAD make loans available?

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:24:09 PM)
Anne, so you're not feeling any fallout from the credit crunch so far?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:25:14 PM)
Hi jb - US schools have access to US loan programmes; INSEAD's international set of candidates and residencies means that we need a global offering across a number of fragmented American, European and Asian service providers: which has so far proven impossible (we've tried incredibly hard, but regulation is regulation).

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:25:18 PM)
Linda, no this hasn't affected us so much - I think this is more of an issue for those looking for jobs in the United States. INSEAD placement is global with approx. 8% placement in the US.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:25:46 PM)
Anne, what percentage of INSEAD grads do NOT return to their home countries?

inseadaspir (Dec 3, 2007 1:26:09 PM)
Mark: thanks, I have another question: do you have any data on September intake grads getting placed in Investment Banks (specifically for career switchers)?

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:26:41 PM)
Linda, there is so much global movement among our graduates that this is rather difficult to pinpoint.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:27:06 PM)
How does INSEAD's career center help grads not returning to their home countries?  Or not staying in Europe?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:27:32 PM)
Inseadaspir - I do not have the data but I can look it up: send me an email at mark.norbury@insead.edu or look at the URL for careers: http://www.insead.edu/mba/careers/faqs.cfm

spatel (Dec 3, 2007 1:27:40 PM)
Mark: If I submit 2 GMAT scores will both be taken into consideration?  Where I have a high verbal in one and a high math in the other.

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:28:08 PM)
Linda, this is clearly a strength at INSEAD - a large number of our students come to INSEAD because they want to transition geographically. The Career Services team is extremely sophisticated in working with students regarding this.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:28:28 PM)
Spatel - the higher score is the one taken principally into consideration.

jb (Dec 3, 2007 1:28:35 PM)
Anne: Typically one year MBA is recommended for career advancer and not switcher. I have to switch career. Why would you recommend INSEAD and not a US 2 year MBA?

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:29:13 PM)
Mark, is it the highest total, or the highest verbal and the highest quant?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:29:23 PM)
Spatel - we would take the higher aggregate score and you should seek to complement the insights from your GMAT scores in your essays (without getting overly concerned by it).

pm (Dec 3, 2007 1:29:49 PM)
Mark: The goals essay is for self-analysis to pin point where one is aiming to be in 5-10 years. Whilst there is an element of business management post-MBA, how precise should one be or what factors must one consider? For example, stating one wants to be a CEO, can be a flat/over-reaching statement.

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:30:15 PM)
jb - it is entirely up to you and comes down to fit. We have a number of career switchers - of course with 10 months the programme is extremely intense. Additionally you will not have summer internship unless you apply for Jan intake. That said as I mentioned we have just as many career switchers as we do advancers.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:30:44 PM)
pm - be honest about your real aspiration and give us a sense of how you will get there: candour and real insight into "who you are" gets you the best results.

VirginieFougeaINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:30:50 PM)
We like to have about 70% in both the quant and the verbal section if possible. Then a total above 600 is a competitive score for the MBA selection process.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:31:16 PM)
Anne, going back to the int'l career management question I asked earlier, does the INSEAD office just have a lot of ties around the world? How does it manage global career mgmt?

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:31:40 PM)
Welcome to Virginie Fougea, Admissions Manager at INSEAD, who has joined us for the chat.

jb (Dec 3, 2007 1:32:26 PM)
Virginie: Any difference in Jan. and Sept. intake in terms of volume of application and chances of getting admitted?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:32:48 PM)
Hi Linda - taking the global career management question: we have relationships with the top world players (e.g. i-banks, consulting firms, private equity, industry etc.), who tend to hire from us globally, so we are competitive on this front, it's just the relationship is managed out of e.g. London, Brussels or Paris, not NYC.

inseadaspir (Dec 3, 2007 1:33:05 PM)
Mark: Thanks, will drop you an email. How is your placement in the US? Do you have instances when INSEAD grads got jobs in the US market without any prior work experience in the US?

Hopeful08 (Dec 3, 2007 1:33:22 PM)
Anne: I am surprised at hearing from many alums who went in with one set of goals but ended up working in a different area. How frequently does that happen in such a short, focused program? And what are the typical changes you see?

VirginieFougeaINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:33:35 PM)
Good applicants are always admitted regardless of the rounds and the intake. You should apply to the intake which is more convenient for you.

spatel (Dec 3, 2007 1:33:55 PM)
Virginie: If you have a lower than average GMAT score should I specifically talk about my score in the essay or is it safe to write about other experiences/ qualities that make me more well rounded and that highlight my quant /verbal skills.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:34:12 PM)
Inseadaspir - it's mostly US residents or citizens that get placement direct back in US; however, we do find that for the second career step, there is often movement to the US from e.g. London.

jb (Dec 3, 2007 1:34:28 PM)
Mark: My former superviser is doing MBA at INSEAD. She knows me very well and I have asked her for recommendation. How would INSEAD's adcom  treat a recommendation from an existing student?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:35:00 PM)
jb - recommendations from INSEAD alumni (even if current MBA) are well received.

VirginieFougeaINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:35:31 PM)
You can indeed balance your "weaker" GMAT with other elements in your application. We can also encourage you to retake this test if we think that your score is not reflecting/matching the overall quality of your application.

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:35:53 PM)
hopeful08 - an MBA is about self discovery and many find something that may have interested them (ex: investment banking) does not after taking a finance course. There are no typical changes as it really comes down to the individual. We find entering the class 1/3 are interested in each finance, consulting and industry and the output is approximately the same.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:35:57 PM)
To all of you: if you are looking at an application and the numbers and basic profile is in the ballpark for an INSEAD student, what distinguishes an application that is accepted from one that is rejected?

VirginieFougeaINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:37:17 PM)
Linda- the personality (ip skills, charisma, etc) will make the difference.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:37:39 PM)
Hi Linda - diversity: a spark that shows that you are different, whether it is exceptional civic duty, leadership track record, extra-curricular drive; the interviews are really important for those who have profiles which are 'middling' (in an already top quality group).

cray (Dec 3, 2007 1:39:01 PM)
How can you measure personality?

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:39:14 PM)
You don't measure it; you recognize it.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:39:15 PM)
Hi Cray - you do not, you assess it qualitatively.

rajesh (Dec 3, 2007 1:39:46 PM)
Mark: Given the fact that a co-signer is required for loans from IEFC, does "INSEAD MBA Finance Office" facilitate loans from banks that do not require co-signers, say ones in the UK? Do students normally avail loans from their home country and the remaining amount from an international bank?

VirginieFougeaINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:39:47 PM)
Cray- it shows in the interview and in the recommendations.

jb (Dec 3, 2007 1:40:19 PM)
Virginie: I am from India and I would like to do MBA from INSEAD France rather than Singapore. What are the chances I will get my preferred location, if selected?

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:40:54 PM)
Mark: How is the interview used in the evaluation process?

VirginieFougeaINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:42:01 PM)
Chances are very high. We usually try to accomodate everyone with the campus of their choice.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:42:05 PM)
Hi Linda - notes from the interview (with various criteria included in the sheet) are filled out by the alumni and included in the file that goes before the admissions committee.

spatel (Dec 3, 2007 1:42:05 PM)
Verginie- so if you feel that I am a quality applicant who perhaps has a weak GMAT score the admissions committee can ask me to retake the GMAT i.e. an offer will be granted based on my ability to produce a higher score?

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:42:10 PM)
Rajesh - to build on what Mark mentioned earlier - as we work with a global set of students it is very difficult for us to facilitate loans (we have tried very hard to do this, but to date it has not worked out). Therefore, yes, students avail loans from their home countries and may further offset costs with scholarships, personal savings, etc.

pm (Dec 3, 2007 1:42:19 PM)
Anne: Which industry has been the highest recruiter of MBA graduates? Also, would you know in which country the highest percentage of MBA graduates started work in?

VirginieFougeaINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:43:15 PM)
Spatel- you are right, but the encouragement to retake the test is done before getting admitted usually, i.e. during the selection process.

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:44:13 PM)
pm - in terms of recruitment it is a relatively equal split between banking, industry and consulting. Our data from graduates in 2006 showed that the UK employed the most number of graduates from our programme. For more information and details please visit www.insead.edu/mba and download the career decision PDF - it contains a wealth of information.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:44:30 PM)
Mark: In many chats sustainable development and social responsibility have gotten a lot of attention. What does INSEAD offer applicants interested in sustainable development and corporate social responsibility?

klepto (Dec 3, 2007 1:45:27 PM)
Anne: How does Insead look at multiple GMAT attempts?

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:46:04 PM)
Klepto - we really recommend not taking the GMAT more than 3 times and we consider your best score.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:46:06 PM)
Hi Linda - we have a range of courses: International Development Field Projects (mostly in Africa); social entrepreneurship; public-private partnerships; ethics & governance; we are also a NetImpact member and we have an MBA club, INDEVOR which is our most active club, which has 100s of MBAs gathering for speaker events, conferences, as well as a range of career services.  The head of the INSEAD Social Innovation centre is an MBA alumna who was INDEVOR President until July 2007 when she graduated: this is one of our 3 centres of excellence.

cray (Dec 3, 2007 1:46:26 PM)
Virginie: What are the lowest GMAT and TOEFL scores accepted?

VirginieFougeaINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:47:41 PM)
For the GMAT, we do not have a cut-off score but it is around 600. For the TOEFL it is 105.

spatel (Dec 3, 2007 1:47:56 PM)
Virginie: hi I was wondering what would be a weak score considering your range of people in your classes is typically 580-780.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:48:18 PM)
Mark: what are the other two centers of excellence?

pm (Dec 3, 2007 1:48:46 PM)
Anne: I am from India, but have spent 7 years in the UK studying and working. Would I be required to take the TOEFL?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:48:47 PM)
Linda - Blue Ocean Strategy (value innovation - Kim & Mauborgne) & Leadership.

cray (Dec 3, 2007 1:49:01 PM)
Mark: what is student life for EMBA participants?

VirginieFougeaINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:49:07 PM)
Spatel- below 600, it is a "weak" score.

querybound (Dec 3, 2007 1:49:46 PM)
Virginie: For someone who feels that the application isn't in great shape for Sept 2008 intake, would it make sense to wait for the Jan 2009 intake or apply in the 3rd round for Sept 2008. The problem is compounded by the fact that I am one of the ubiquitous male Indian IT guy. In the NetApplyform, I already chose Sep 2008 as the intake and the reco links have been sent out too. A very frank opinion will be much appreciated :-)

VirginieFougeaINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:49:56 PM)
pm- people from India with a degree from an Indian Univ do not need to the TOEFL.

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:50:02 PM)
pm - the TOEFL is required if you are not a native English speaker. That said the TOEFL may be waived if you received a degree (undergraduate or masters) from a programme in which the language of instruction was English.

klepto (Dec 3, 2007 1:50:03 PM)
Anne: Does Insead offer TOEFL waiver to Indian candidates?

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:50:19 PM)
klepto - please see my response to pm above.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:50:45 PM)
Hi cray - I'm an alum of the programme so I can vouch for the student life in the EMBA: the lively city of Singapore is a little more appealing than the forest of Fontainebleau, but the cohesion, humor and vitality of the EMBA group during the modules is fantastic and remarkable; our alumni remain incredibly close and see each other often - clearly the 12 weeks on campus bring you together strongly.

klepto (Dec 3, 2007 1:50:52 PM)
Thank you very much!!!

cray (Dec 3, 2007 1:51:12 PM)
Mark: How many Eastern European participants do you have usually?

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:51:24 PM)
Last call for questions.

spatel (Dec 3, 2007 1:51:30 PM)
Thank you very much for your responses

VirginieFougeaINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:51:41 PM)
Querybound- honest answer: I strongly encourage to send in a well prepared application. The competition is very high, so it is best to be proud of your application and put all the chances on your side.

AnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:51:42 PM)
jb - when evaluating an application we are really looking at full-time experience.

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:51:46 PM)
Hi Ray - it's about 15% actually: a good group from Russia, Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary this year.

pm (Dec 3, 2007 1:52:04 PM)
Mark: If one were to focus on entrepreneurship for about a year, but then decided to change focus to another theme - say Sales and Marketing. Will Insead facilitate that?

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:52:32 PM)
All: What are the most common and most serious mistakes applicants make?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:52:56 PM)
Hi pm - the MBA is general management, and the core courses (first 50% or so) are the same for everyone; in the electives you can do both entrepreneurship and sales & marketing: hedge your bets!!

spatel (Dec 3, 2007 1:53:48 PM)
Virginie: what percentage of applicants get interviews?

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:54:11 PM)
Hi Linda - for EMBA the most common mistake is to try to impress rather than to be yourself and reveal your full character; the most serious mistake is to not to be proud of your application.

pm (Dec 3, 2007 1:54:38 PM)
Thanks very much for your advice, it has been very useful. (I'm glad I ran home after work :) , this was worth it).

VirginieFougeaINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:54:44 PM)
Linda- I don't know if I can call it a mistake, but something candidates failed to demonstrate is their ability to contribute to the programme. What will you bring to the class both in and outside the classroom. I strongly encourage applicants not to be shy and to really tell us who they are.

jb (Dec 3, 2007 1:55:09 PM)
Anne, so you mean a candidate with a full time job who tries to build a marketing business working part time has no advantage than another candidate with same full time job but doing nothing?

VirginieFougeaINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:56:26 PM)
jb - we evaluate each application individually - we are looking for something unique that you may bring to the programme so it is not a question of either or.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:56:45 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to Mark, Virginie, and Anne for joining us.

AnneFazioINSEADAnneFazioINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:56:54 PM)
Thank you. Have a nice night!

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:56:55 PM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats.

• Consortium: Dec. 11 
  • LBS Dec. 12 
  • Notre Dame Jan. 9
If you would like to be notified of future MBA admissions events, please subscribe at http://www.accepted.com/chat/subscribe.aspx#MBA_Admissions

MarkNorburyINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:57:01 PM)
Many thanks everyone: Be well and good luck.

VirginieFougeaINSEAD (Dec 3, 2007 1:57:17 PM)
Thank you everyone, and good luck!

Linda AbrahamLinda Abraham (Dec 3, 2007 1:57:19 PM)
Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

Please check the Web site for details and exact time, because we are varying our chat times this year to facilitate attendance from applicants in different time zones. Good luck with your applications!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room