2008 Consortium MBA Admissions Chat with Jackie Olden

2008 Consortium MBA Admissions Chat with Jackie Olden

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending an e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Dec 11, 2007 8:02:45 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com’s Consortium Chat.  I also want to welcome our special guests for this evening.

• Jackie M. Olden, Director of Recruiting Consortium for Graduate Study in Management
  • Rebecca Smith, Recruiting Manager Consortium for Graduate Study in Management
  • Ken Simpson, Recruiting Coordinator, Consortium for Graduate Study in Management
  • Ken Keeley, Executive Director, Career Opportunities Center Carnegie Mellon
  • Keosha Moon, Associate Director of Recruiting, MBA Career Management Center Emory University
  • Erik Medina, Associate Director of Career Development Indiana University
  • Mrim Boutla, Associate Director of Career Development Indiana University
  • Tammy Simmons, Senior Career Counselor, Office of Career Development New York University
  • Lisa Hurst, Senior Associate Director, Office of Career Development Univ. of Michigan
  • Wendy Dukes, Associate Director, MBA Career Management Center Univ. of North Carolina
  • Sandy Gerow, Associate Director, MBA Career Management Center Univ. of North Carolina
  • Harriette Royer, Director, Education & Counseling Univ. of Rochester
  • Michael Payne, Associate Director, Fred V. Keenan Career Resource Center Univ. of Southern California
  • Denise Karaoli, Assistant Director of Career Development Univ. of Virginia
  • Alicia Schetter, Associate Director of MBA Career Services Univ. of Wisconsin

Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Dec 11, 2007 8:05:41 PM)
This is your chance to ask questions about the Consortium and career management and opportunity at the schools listed above. But I would like to take advantage of my position as host and ask the first question: What should applicants be doing now, if anything, to prepare themselves for their internship and post MBA job search?

Linda Abraham (Dec 11, 2007 8:06:21 PM)
While our guests are answering my question, please feel free to post your questions. They can be specific to a given school or more general career management and career change questions.

WendyDukesUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:07:18 PM)
Begin doing your information interviews---specifically good for preparing for your internship.

AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN (Dec 11, 2007 8:07:34 PM)
Applicants can begin reviewing interviewing resources and begin to also put together target company lists of interest.

HarrietteRoyerROCHESTER (Dec 11, 2007 8:07:38 PM)
Linda, the Simon School recommends that you begin with research. Find out as much as you can about the functions you're interested in studying in the MBA program, talk to a few people who do that job, and the qualifications employers look for.

Andre Llewellyn (Dec 11, 2007 8:07:46 PM)
Given that the recruiting process happens fairly early in the first semester, what systems/training does the Consortium or any of its member schools have in place to help career-switchers who may not yet be qualified in or familiar with their "new" career field of choice?

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:07:53 PM)
Hi, Lisa. When will Michigan begin sending interview invites to Consortium Applicants? Or at least an email confirming documentation has been received?

James (Dec 11, 2007 8:08:34 PM)
If I did not score high enough during the recommended time to take the GMAT, can I retake it and send the new results to the Consortium and the ranked schools? If so, how far past the deadline ie....Jan 15th?

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 8:08:35 PM)
Linda, I would suggest first confirm their interest by doing a self assessment and then consider from their skills and values what their career interests are and then confirm with research and informational students.

bmoney (Dec 11, 2007 8:08:42 PM)
TammySimmons, I applied to Stern weeks before the deadline but have not been invited to interview. Since Stern uses rolling admissions and others who submitted on the deadline already have been invited, does that reflect negatively on my chances of being interviewed?

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:09:12 PM)
Tombrokaw, UM is not on the line yet, can this question be answered by another school?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:09:39 PM)
Tombrokaw, Lisa hasn't signed on yet. However, you can watch the "application status" on the top of your application checklist to find out when your application has been forwarded to the school. It will change from "in progress" to "submitted" to "released".  Released means your info has been forwarded to the school.

HarrietteRoyerROCHESTER (Dec 11, 2007 8:09:45 PM)
Andre, most of the incoming MBA students at our school ARE career switchers. We emphasize the importance of personal branding and differentiating yourself from other candidates. In addition, we assist you in finding the language that enables you to project your uniqueness in relation to the opportunity you are pursuing.

MBA08 (Dec 11, 2007 8:09:51 PM)
Roughly how many Consortium students receive internship offers during the Consortium orientation last year?

ED (Dec 11, 2007 8:10:07 PM)
I took my GMAT (1st time)and got a 620.  I would like to take it again but it would be after the deadline (Jan 5). Could I still retake and send those scores after the deadline?  I would like to retake the GMAT Jan. 12, 2008.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:10:41 PM)
MBA08- we don't keep that information on record.

Linda Abraham (Dec 11, 2007 8:10:53 PM)
What are the most active sectors hiring MBAs at each of your schools?

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 8:10:57 PM)
Bmoney, since I am not directly involved in the admissions process I cannot say if that would negatively impact your admission to Stern, but know that there are cases when students may still have an opportunity to interview - or be waitlisted. I can also send you more information regarding that if you e-mail me.

dannyboy (Dec 11, 2007 8:11:15 PM)
How are the opportunities for transitioning military officers in the world of consulting?

WendyDukesUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:11:26 PM)
At UNC, most active hiring sectors are Finance, Marketing, and Real Estate.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:11:33 PM)
ED- Yes, you may take the GMAT on Jan. 12. When you finish the test, fax me the unofficial score report and we can use that until we get the official version from Pearsons. Don't forget to have them send us the official report.

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 8:11:38 PM)
At USC, the biggest sectors are Financial Services, Marketing, and Consulting.

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:12:07 PM)
MBA08: I heard of about 4-5 offers (out of our 13 consortium students at Kelley - Indiana University). Although most of our Consortium students did not come back from OP with an offer, these offers were related to contacts made at OP.

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 8:12:31 PM)
Linda, I would say financial services, which would include research, investment banking, sales and trading within financial services, second to that would be consulting, marketing and general finance within a corporation, and then investment management.

Tunde (Dec 11, 2007 8:12:35 PM)
So does that mean there is no set amount of offers per year from the Consortium?

Will (Dec 11, 2007 8:12:37 PM)
Do any of the Consortium schools specialize in transportation?

AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN (Dec 11, 2007 8:12:40 PM)
The active sectors hiring at Wisconsin are Marketing, Real Estate, Supply Chain.

WendyDukesUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:12:41 PM)
Dannyboy, oppoortunity for military is HUGE. Companies do look for a military background which = leadership in their minds.

HarrietteRoyerROCHESTER (Dec 11, 2007 8:12:49 PM)
At the Simon School, Linda, the most active sectors for recruiting are finance and marketing. We have recruiting opportunities, of course, for all other areas but we are known for our finance education.

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:13:22 PM)
Linda Abraham - at Kelley, our most active sectors are Finance/Marketing/Operations.

WendyDukesUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:13:50 PM)
Will- transportation as in what specifically?

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 8:14:13 PM)
Hello I am having my Consortium interview on Thursday. I would like to know if I will be asked specific questions about the schools I am interested in or my interview will be based solely on the Consortium Fellowship?

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 8:14:20 PM)
MBA08: If you are very directed you can definitely improve your chances of an offer from OP. The problem has been lately that students have not thought enough about what they want to do and where they want to work, so the companies tend to take a wait and see attitude.

Big'n'Buff (Dec 11, 2007 8:14:55 PM)
Just curious if anyone wants to take this question ... how does age play into the recruiting? I've heard conflicting stories that some recruiters like older students and some don't. Thoughts?

Linda Abraham (Dec 11, 2007 8:15:38 PM)
Are the banks pulling back on hiring as a result of the credit crunch and sub-prime problems?

TN2010 (Dec 11, 2007 8:15:58 PM)
What are the time frames that Round 1 Consortium applicants can expect to hear from the schools and what is the medium of communication?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:16:01 PM)
Wazee- The interview is focused on admission, not to determine your eligibility to become a part of The Consortium. You should treat it like a job interview- be prepared to answer questions about your academic and professional background, your short term and long term goals, and your teamwork and leadership experience.

HarrietteRoyerROCHESTER (Dec 11, 2007 8:16:48 PM)
Big'n'Buff, we notice that companies with rotation and development programs tend to prefer less experienced candidates, but companies looking for more seasoned talent gravitate to the older candidates. There are a number of companies who relish a mature candidate with a fresh MBA.

Shani (Dec 11, 2007 8:17:05 PM)
Most of the MBA programs that I've looked at have a focus on the big four as far as concentrations: Finance, Strategic, Operations, Marketing, but what about other concentrations specifically non-profit management. Is this something that is more likely under the General Management concentrations? This is directed to any of the schools, but interested in what Emory, NYU, Indiana has to say.

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:17:19 PM)
Jackie: Are applications up for the Consortium this year for the first round?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:17:22 PM)
TN2010- You should expect a response in about 6-8 weeks from each school. The results will come either in the mail, via email, or via phone depending on the school.

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:17:28 PM)
Big'n'Buff - the more you can make your case in terms of what you bring to the company that will be assets to them, the less the age will play a role. However, some companies with very structured post-MBA programs might want to keep more of a homogeneous group, it's hard to tell.

AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN (Dec 11, 2007 8:17:38 PM)
Linda, our banks have been on campus as they have been in the past, however, we do anticipate that hiring will slow a bit. They have been a bit slow to provide us with the exact number of recruits they are looking to hire.

Nestor Camargo (Dec 11, 2007 8:18:01 PM)
With regards to the GMAT, does it have to be sent to every school individually as well as to the Consortium or sending them to the Consortium is enough?

Jieto (Dec 11, 2007 8:18:14 PM)
Should first round Consortium applicants (Dec. 1), expect to hear responses from the schools on time lines commensurate with general 1st round applicants?

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:18:24 PM)
Tombrokaw, our apps are up slightly compared to last year.

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 8:18:25 PM)
Linda, we have experienced the same with the banks as WI.

Vegui (Dec 11, 2007 8:18:26 PM)
How is demand in Consortium schools for Spanish speaking graduates?

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 8:18:35 PM)
Big'n Buff - I believe while some companies may not mention it, depending upon the industry, sometimes age may not be discussed, but if you conduct informational interviews with second year students, you can get a sense of which industries favor those who are not as seasoned; the reason being that they sometimes prefer to mold candidates to the company culture. That being said, it would also be a matter of articulating to the company that you are making a career change and therefore are willing to start entry level.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:18:36 PM)
Nestor- You need to send the GMAT score to the Consortium. You should also send it to UNC if you are applying there.

Jackson (Dec 11, 2007 8:18:58 PM)
Rebecca: Hello, I have reached out to two alums to schedule my Consortium interview and have not heard back from either one yet (it has been a week) should I reach out to other ones? I know that we should schedule the interview by Dec.16.

James (Dec 11, 2007 8:19:02 PM)
Tammy, when does the fellowship decision process start at NYU?

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 8:19:32 PM)
Hello Eric, I am very interested in your program and would like to ask three questions:  First, what do you look for in your candidates? Second, how many years of work experience is required to be a "competitive" candidate? And finally, how many Consortium candidates do you currently have among your 1st year students?

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:19:38 PM)
Shani - Our social entrepreneurship certificate at Kelley (IU) would be a great fit for your goals: http://www.indiana.edu/~socent/index.html.  I would be happy to talk to you more about this offline (mboutla@indiana.edu).

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:19:40 PM)
Jackson- This time of year, interviewers are in VERY high demand. If you haven't received a response, you should move on to another interviewer.

caraspin (Dec 11, 2007 8:19:47 PM)
For any school, what are your thoughts on the importance of location for specific industries? Specifically, is it important to be in NY or CA for Media/Entertainment?

HarrietteRoyerROCHESTER (Dec 11, 2007 8:19:55 PM)
Shani, the Simon School has a health care management concentration that some students have leveraged into administrative/management opportunities in non-profit hospitals and related environments.

Big'n'Buff (Dec 11, 2007 8:19:58 PM)
Thank you Harriette.

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 8:20:10 PM)
RebeccaSmith: Thank you very much. So what exactly do you look for in your fellowship candidates?

AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN (Dec 11, 2007 8:20:57 PM)
Vegui, demand is high. Many companies are also looking for bilingual candidates, especially since many job opportunities can lead to global careers. There are also specific career fairs more focused on candidates which speak Spanish, such as NSHMBA at the MBA level.

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 8:21:16 PM)
James, since I am in career services and not in the admissions, cannot speak to the specific deadline process; I do know that by March we are in contact with students who are considering Stern; if you would like to know more specifics regarding the fellowship process - please e-mail me and I can check with our Admissions office for more details.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:21:18 PM)
Wazee- Fellowship offers are determined by the individual schools. The fellowship is merit-based, and the number available varies each year and by each school.

LisaHurstMichigan (Dec 11, 2007 8:21:19 PM)
Caraspin: This can be done through a self-directed job search, therefore location is not important.

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 8:21:46 PM)
Caraspin, M/E is VERY relationship based. Hiring in that industry, especially for MBAs, is still evolving.

Beatrice (Dec 11, 2007 8:21:47 PM)
Does length of work experience prior to going to grad school play a major role with the admissions process? Is it better to work for a period of time after your undergrad?

Athena08 (Dec 11, 2007 8:22:19 PM)
How critical is the summer internship? I'm considering a career in marketing (brand mgmt) or consulting. If I pursued an internship in Marketing, would I still have a good chance of getting a job in Consulting if I decided to go that route after MBA (with no internship experience)?

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:22:19 PM)
Wazee - Erik Medina and I are both at GCS (the career center at Kelley). Your admission questions would be best answered by Kenndra Thompson (kennthom@indiana.edu). Currently, we have 13 Consortium fellows in our class of 2009. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about our career center or Kelley during this chat or offline (mboutla@indiana.edu).

AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN (Dec 11, 2007 8:23:02 PM)
Beatrice, we like to see applicants with 3-5 years of work experience. This is also important from an employer standpoint...many are looking for candidates with relevant work experience prior to their program.

mdh (Dec 11, 2007 8:23:12 PM)
I am 36, and 10 years experience with management abilities, do you recommend me an MBA or EMBA?

WendyDukesUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:23:14 PM)
Athena08-I think you will be able to get a FT position in consulting even if you had a summer internship in marketing.

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:23:15 PM)
Beatrice check with your schools of interest. It varies by school.

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:23:24 PM)
Rebecca: Is it true that if your first choice school offers you a tuition fellowship, your second school may not match the offer?

cdj2008 (Dec 11, 2007 8:23:32 PM)
Jackie: If I have taken the GMAT twice and sent both scores to the Consortium are both scores sent to the schools or just the higher one?

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:23:45 PM)
Lisa: By what percent if any are applications up at Michigan this year? Also, how many reviewers see the applications at Ross? Can you give me a window into the process?

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:24:11 PM)
cdj, both scores are sent to the schools but most schools go with the highest score.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:24:12 PM)
Tombrokaw- You can only receive one Consortium fellowship offer. That does not mean that you can't be considered for other forms of financial aid, including other scholarships that you might qualify for.

Big'n'Buff (Dec 11, 2007 8:24:18 PM)
Thank you all for replying to my age question. Do you feel that a person who was an entrepreneur before has a disadvantage with recruiters? I have owned four different companies and have a very clear idea of what I want to do. But, I'm concerned that many will view me as not teachable or too free-spirited.

Jieto (Dec 11, 2007 8:24:35 PM)
Jackie: If the overall GMAT score is respectable (720), should there be concern if the Quantitative score is below the 80% threshold?

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 8:24:48 PM)
Beatrice, I would say in the case of Stern we are seeking fellows who have 3-4 years experience previous to business school. I would certainly say that it would be best to have some work experience before applying to graduate school. It will also help when marketing yourself to companies in that you will be able to speak of your previous experiences and skills developed.

Anthony (Dec 11, 2007 8:24:52 PM)
Rebecca: Hello - I'm having trouble with a part of the Consortium application (essay 3 and the corresponding recommendation) and I'm wondering if that means I should forgo it and just apply to the schools directly. While I am interested in furthering the Consortium mission, I don't have much to show in my past to that effect. I've volunteered at the Harlem Children's School Zone but that was just one event. Please advise.

HarrietteRoyerROCHESTER (Dec 11, 2007 8:25:07 PM)
Athena08, internships are very helpful in demonstrating your ability to perform in the career area, but are not necessarily a deal breaker if you don't have one. The key is the fit with the organization and what you bring them. Companies need to be confident that you can bring them a return on investment - can you make them money and contribute to the growth of the firm.

AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN (Dec 11, 2007 8:25:25 PM)
Athena08, I think the internship in your field of interest is helpful to assist you in entering into a specific industry. However, if you were to complete an internship in marketing and then decide consulting is the path your would like to pursue, I would recommend networking to assist entry into that industry - even during the marketing internship.

Andre Llewellyn (Dec 11, 2007 8:25:27 PM)
TammySimmons: Are there any specializations at Stern that are especially geared to a career in the emerging tech field?

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:25:31 PM)
Athena08 - an internship between your first and second year in an MBA program is central to your FT hiring success. An increasing number of companies hire their interns for FT. In addition, the experience you get as an MBA intern can give you great insights regarding careers and corporate cultures. My advice would be for you to talk to your career coach and see what strategies you can use to have an internship experience that might work with other commitments you might have.

MBA08 (Dec 11, 2007 8:25:48 PM)
On the note of experience how much of an emphasis is placed on quality versus having depth of experience?

LisaHurstMichigan (Dec 11, 2007 8:25:52 PM)
Tombrokaw - I know applications are up this year but not sure of the actual %. Each application normally goes through at least two reads before a decision is made.

Vegui (Dec 11, 2007 8:25:58 PM)
Thank you Alicia. I am also concerned that my GMAT will not be as competitive as to those students who studied in the states. I studied in a Spanish speaking school. Can this affect my chances or is this evaluated separately?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:26:16 PM)
Anthony- Unfortunately, I can't give a good answer to that one. The school admissions committees make all admission, membership, and fellowship decisions. Consortium staff members don't participate in those conversations, so I can't comment on how the decisions are made.

SandyGerowUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:26:27 PM)
Big'n'Buff, your opportunities post-MBA will depend on your entrepreneurial experiences. Were you successful? Did you lead or have opportunity to work with teams?  It depends on what your goal is. Are there transferable skills from your experiences?

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:26:28 PM)
Jieto, if you have a strong math background the 80% threshold is definitely acceptable.

Beatrice (Dec 11, 2007 8:26:53 PM)
What do you consider the best GMAT prep course?

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:27:06 PM)
Mrim: Is there a consultant presence at Indiana? Do consulting companies actively recruit there?

ED (Dec 11, 2007 8:27:21 PM)
Rebecca: I noticed when I was taking the GMAT there was no opportunity to input the Consortium code. And Consortium wasn't an option on the drop down menu. Was I looking at the wrong place or is the option to send the scores after you take the test and pay $28?

Linda Abraham (Dec 11, 2007 8:27:43 PM)
What should the applicant who isn’t sure about his or her post-MBA goals do?

LisaHurstMichigan (Dec 11, 2007 8:27:45 PM)
MBA08, we have our career changers focus on skills (i.e. transferable skills being the key here) they have used in the past.

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:27:49 PM)
Beatrice, sorry we do not promote any GMAT courses.

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 8:27:52 PM)
MBA08: Our experience is 1) you need the 3 - 5 years of experience, and 2) the experience you do have should help tell the story of WHY you want the job you want.

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:28:04 PM)
Big'n'Buff - I think that in some fields your experience might actually be a great asset (venture capital, consulting, operations, just to name a few)! What is your goal?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:28:04 PM)
ED- From what the folks at GMAT tell me, there are 2 lists. The first list has schools, and the second list has fellowship and scholarship opportunities. We are on the second list.....

HarrietteRoyerROCHESTER (Dec 11, 2007 8:28:04 PM)
Athena, Mrim gave you solid advice. There are other ways to demonstrate your abilities than an internship. Projects, research, and part time work are 3 other examples. Depending on the size of the firm, many do use the internship as a screening or "try before you buy" strategy, but certainly not all.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:28:34 PM)
ED- Call the GMAT 800 number and explain the situation. From feedback I've heard from other applicants, they tend to be very helpful.

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 8:28:58 PM)
Andre, we do have an entertainment, media and technology specialization for students interested in technology firms.  Students interested in business development, strategic planning and other functions within technology will pursue this specialization. Are you considering a specific function within this field?

Roberto (Dec 11, 2007 8:29:54 PM)
Mrim - How many Consortium applicants are members of this year's (given that 13 are fellows)?

MBA Candidate (Dec 11, 2007 8:30:12 PM)
Jackie: Can you provide some insight on the GMAT? I have a strong engineering background (BS and MS), with a very strong GPA. However, my GMAT score was in the 32% percentile.... Will this ruin my chances?

Jackson (Dec 11, 2007 8:30:21 PM)
Tammy Simmons, I applied to the part time program at NYU and was recently accepted... however circumstances at my job have caused me to re-think my career. I now would like to apply to Stern FT through the Consortium. Do I have to forego my part time acceptance or can I wait to see if I am accepted into Stern?

James (Dec 11, 2007 8:30:31 PM)
Thanks Tammy.

Athena08 (Dec 11, 2007 8:30:34 PM)
Thank you all for your responses to my questions!

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:30:35 PM)
Tombrokaw - we have a great consulting academy and every year we have great internship or FT opportunities - it is extremely competitive though so it is crucial for you to start thinking about why you would be a good consultant, and then really focus on your networking. Don't hesitate to email me with further questions you might have (mboutla@indiana.edu).

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:30:46 PM)
Lisa: How important is the 80/80 split at Michigan for Liberal Arts majors? What courses do you recommend for an alternative transcript?

Big'n'Buff (Dec 11, 2007 8:30:55 PM)
Sandy at UNC - My largest organization was a 35 person company and my smallest was a 5 person org. My last company was a real estate investment and management company. I was successful in that but realized I needed to gain a more formal education for larger projects and future success.

ED (Dec 11, 2007 8:31:01 PM)
Thanks Rebecca I will.

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 8:31:49 PM)
For the question of not knowing what you want to do after the MBA - you will have a VERY difficult time explaining your value proposition to a prospective employer and you hurt you chances at the very time you have your best opportunities with them.

Jieto (Dec 11, 2007 8:32:20 PM)
Mrim - I have heard a few people mention pre-MBA internships; are those coordinated with the Career Services of the school you plan to attend?

dannyboy (Dec 11, 2007 8:32:30 PM)
Rebecca, my application has been released to the schools. As I understand it, the picture I uploaded is only for the OP book...that being said....can I upload a different one? Not sure that the pic of me wearing a wookie costume is appropriate.

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:32:38 PM)
Roberto - all 13 of our Consortium candidates received a fellowship for the class of 2009. Kenndra Thompson (kennthom@indiana.edu) would be best to assist you with questions regarding fellowships/members for other class years.

Florence (Dec 11, 2007 8:33:00 PM)
Are there sectors that have an inclination to recruit from Consortium students? I have an interest in the health and the non-profit sector as well.

SandyGerowUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:33:13 PM)
Big'n'Buff - it sounds as though your entrepreneurial experiences are similar to the experiences recruiters expect from an MBA candidate. Our experience at UNC is that recruiters are more interested in the total of your skills and experience and how you present them than in where you got them.

LisaHurstMichigan (Dec 11, 2007 8:33:33 PM)
Tombrokaw - You should focus on scoring well on both portions of the exam. I would recommend taking a calculus course if not already taken.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:33:37 PM)
Dannyboy- Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to look that one up. :-) Yes, you may change your photo in the online application, or you can mail one to me. Just be sure to put your name on the back.

Shani (Dec 11, 2007 8:33:38 PM)
What about internships that CGSM fellows might be interested in pursuing, that might NOT be part of the roster of companies that support Consortium? Do these outside internship opportunities get promoted equally by the schools?

Elle (Dec 11, 2007 8:34:03 PM)
TammySimmonsNYU: In undergrad I was an engineering major with a sub- 3.0 GPA. I took the GMAT and got a 650 but will be taking it yet again in January. Since I will already have submitted my application, what is the best way to inform you of my new score? With a GPA under 3.0 how critical is it that I achieve the 700 mark on the GMAT?

Roberto (Dec 11, 2007 8:34:07 PM)
Mrim - thank you.

Anthony (Dec 11, 2007 8:34:16 PM)
Is there school admissions officers in the chat who can answer my question above? USC, Ross, Tuck?

dannyboy (Dec 11, 2007 8:34:20 PM)
Thanks Rebecca!

AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN (Dec 11, 2007 8:34:21 PM)
Florence, many of our Consortium students have had marketing career interest specifically, however, overall many employers from various sectors have been interested in reviewing the qualifications of our students in general.

cdj2008 (Dec 11, 2007 8:34:58 PM)
Does applying to the second round deadline place applicants at a severe disadvantage?

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:35:07 PM)
Lisa: What if I took calculus in high school? It won't appear on my transcripts. Should I mention it?

SandyGerowUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:35:17 PM)
Shani - At UNC, we encourage our students to look at all internships, whether posted for on-campus interviews, through Consortium, or through the student's own network.

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:35:33 PM)
Jieto - Yes, some companies sometimes offer pre-MBA internships. While we do not coordinate a Pre-MBA internship program per se, we are happy to provide our incoming MBAs with contacts and resources to facilitate their pre-MBA internship search. Understand though that your ability to secure an internship will primarily depend on your ability to convey your value as an MBA candidate for any given company. I would suggest that you connect with me offline (mboutla@indiana.edu) so that we can see how our office can help you with career self-assessment, exploration and your internship search through Kelley.

Big'n'Buff (Dec 11, 2007 8:35:37 PM)
MrimINDIANA - my goal is to eventually open another real estate investment biz. However, I would really like to work somewhere for 5 years or so, specifically a large investment firm to gain experience.

Shani (Dec 11, 2007 8:35:58 PM)
Given that each potential MBA student is choosing to forego some form of income during the 2 year period, what are suggested alternative resources that can help support the students during their 2 years? I noticed some of the programs are very intense especially the first year, so does that mean the schools who are considering us for the fellowships are mostly looking at financial aid offerings to cover such things as living expenses, books etc?

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 8:35:58 PM)
Anthony, I'm not in Admissions, but I suspect that even if you come directly to us you will be encouraged to eventually circle back to Consortium.

LisaHurstMichigan (Dec 11, 2007 8:36:00 PM)
Tombrokaw - Unless you received AP credit, this course will not have much impact. You may want to consider taking it now through a Community College.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:36:14 PM)
cdj- The main difference between the 2 deadlines is the timeline for communication of decisions. Admission decisions come out 6-8 weeks after the application is submitted. Membership and fellowship decisions are all made on one day in one meeting in early March.

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:36:23 PM)
Alicia: How well does Wisconsin recruit to top tier firms like General Mills, Pepsico, etc?

HarrietteRoyerROCHESTER (Dec 11, 2007 8:36:39 PM)
Shani, most schools, including the Simon School, will encourage you to explore internships in the environments (industries, niches) that are the best fit for your career preferences. We help you identify those options, initiate outreach and pursue them, whether or not they are listed as internship opportunities that other students apply for. Many of our students locate internships "off the beaten trail" that turn out to valuable experiences to leverage in the FT search.

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 8:36:40 PM)
Jackson, I would first determine when you need to let Stern know about accepting the part-time program, and then check with Stern Admissions to find out when the admissions process would be completed- and when you would know whether are not you were accepted to Consortium. If there is an overlap between the deadlines, then you may need to make a decision regarding the part-time program.

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:36:42 PM)
Florence, our sponsors are from various sectors. The list can be found on our website, www.cgsm.org. Our sponsors have the first opportunity to talk to Consortium students.

WendyDukesUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:37:15 PM)
Shani- best advice is to start living like a student NOW so that the transition will not be a shock. In addition, consider working as close as possible to your start day at school.

Athena08 (Dec 11, 2007 8:37:16 PM)
Question to all school reps: do you keep track of how many recruitment events your applicants attend? I know NYU has an essay about personal experience or fit with NYU. Is it a disadvantage if I haven't attended any events?

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:37:27 PM)
Jackie: Can the Toigo Fellowship be used to supplement housing if a student receives the Consortium as well?

Beatrice (Dec 11, 2007 8:37:38 PM)
My goal is to do hospital administration in finance. I plan to obtain a dual degree MBA/ MHA- is this a smart move?

AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN (Dec 11, 2007 8:38:04 PM)
Tombrokaw, our brand and product students have the benefit of being recruited by many of the top CPGs in the country. If a company does not recruit at WI we work with students to identify companies of interest and then develop strategies to assist in searches with these companies in mind.

WendyDukesUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:38:20 PM)
Athena08 - not attending events is a disadvantage to you. These are prime opportunities to network, gain additional skills, and get that job you want.

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:39:11 PM)
Big'n'Buff - your ability to compete will primarily depend on how you can convey your transferable skills and knowledge and show how you can successfully generate maximum return with minimal risk. If you manage your own portfolio successfully, or have been able to successfully run your businesses in the past, that's great and will definitely be a good selling point. I would be happy to have a follow up conversation with you offline (mboutla@indiana.edu).

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 8:39:12 PM)
Beatrice, I suppose the dual degree would be helpful, but you should be able to achieve the same end by concentrating in finance and getting well versed (and get an internship) in hospital administration.

SandyGerowUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:39:20 PM)
Beatrice, Our MBA/MHA dual degree students go into many areas of hospital admin.

HarrietteRoyerROCHESTER (Dec 11, 2007 8:39:22 PM)
Beatrice, we recently had a student with the dual MHA/MBA and she was extremely popular with recruiters and employers that she identified as good prospects. I think that companies in general view candidates with multiple degrees as value-add.

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:39:33 PM)
Tombrokaw, if Toigo offers you cash, yes you can use it for books and living expenses.

Beatrice (Dec 11, 2007 8:40:22 PM)
Thanks Sandy, I've done my research for your school, so I know.

Linda Abraham (Dec 11, 2007 8:40:55 PM)
How would a low GMAT affect a post-MBA job search?

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:41:00 PM)
Jackie: Toigo is supposed to be for tuition only. Is there a way to circumvent that?

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 8:41:20 PM)
Andre, business development in high tech is difficult to get into directly from MBA school. It's better to go to Marketing of Finance and work your way over.

cdj2008 (Dec 11, 2007 8:41:24 PM)
Usually how many candidates apply with military backgrounds?

Roberto (Dec 11, 2007 8:41:33 PM)
LisaHurst: When will construction of the new business school facility be completed?

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:42:13 PM)
Athena08 - it is really important that recruiters know you before they read your name on your resume. There are different ways for you to build and maintain good contacts with your companies of interest (info interviews, prior networking, etc) but while you are in an MBA program, the easiest way is to attend career events and learn while conveying your value to recruiters. These opportunities are great for you to also learn more about which companies would be a great fit for you in terms of corporate culture preferences.

mdh (Dec 11, 2007 8:42:23 PM)
I am 36 with 10 years working experience. Any recommendation about going for MBA or EMBA instead?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:42:48 PM)
cdj- We don't keep numbers on that, but it is not unusual at all for people with military backgrounds to apply.

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:42:50 PM)
Tombrokaw, tuition-only fellowships can not be used for anything except tuition. You can not take advantage of two tuition-only offers.

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 8:42:54 PM)
mdh - what is your current job title?

MBA Candidate (Dec 11, 2007 8:43:00 PM)
Jackie: Can you provide some insight to the GMAT? I have a very strong engineering background (BS and MS) with a very strong GPA (3.8). However, my GMAT score was in the 32% percentile. I have historically been a horrible standardize test taker. My experiences are all stellar. If everything is great with my current GMAT will this ruin my chances?

Tuck Stern Texan (Dec 11, 2007 8:43:07 PM)
TammySimmons... Are First Round Consortium applicants reviewed in the same group as the first round non-Consortium applicants?

SandyGerowUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:43:27 PM)
mdh- you have more experience than many MBA recruiters are looking for, so it may be more of a challenge for you during the job search process.

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 8:43:57 PM)
Athena08, attending at least one provides both yourself and Stern an opportunity to see whether or not there is a fit and where your interest lies with regard to the school. While I am not in Admissions, I would say that they would consider a number of factors but not exclusively your attendance of events.

Anthony (Dec 11, 2007 8:44:04 PM)
Michael - thanks so much for answering my question - much appreciated. Is there a school admission person who can address the question from their perspective? I had actually assumed that someone at the Consortium would be best to answer but was told that school admin person would be best.

Roberto (Dec 11, 2007 8:44:08 PM)
Consortium: I know that anyone is welcome to apply through the Consortium, but is priority given to minorities for the fellowships?

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:44:22 PM)
MBA Candidate, call me offline tomorrow. I will give you some additional guidance.

Elle (Dec 11, 2007 8:44:27 PM)
TammySimmonsNYU: In undergrad I was an engineering major with a sub- 3.0 GPA. I took the GMAT and initially got a 650 but will be retaking it in late January. Since I will have already submitted my application, what is the best way to inform you of my updated score? And how important is it that I reach that 700 mark due to my GPA?

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 8:44:38 PM)
MrimIndiana: I am interested in investment management. How strong is the portfolio management presence at Kelley? Also, how do you help students looking to pursue equity analyst positions for their internships and post-MBA positions? Also, which investment management companies recruit at Kelley?

Shani (Dec 11, 2007 8:44:56 PM)
Piggy backing off Beatrice's question, I wasn't clear but can the Consortium fellowship be used as part of an intended dual degree? Or if there is interest in a dual degree, but that 2nd program would not take effect until after the majority of the MBA program is finishes, is this still allowable to accept the CGSM fellowship for the MBA part and just find your own resources for the dual degree later?

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 8:45:03 PM)
Anthony, best to go to the general admissions email address which should be on the website.

Big'n'Buff (Dec 11, 2007 8:45:06 PM)
MrimBoutlaINDIANA - I just sent you an email. Thanks for the help.

Jackson (Dec 11, 2007 8:45:21 PM)
To whom it may concern (USC, Stern?): I have 5 years in media/entertainment. I work for a small ME company now in corporate finance and have recognized that I need the skills that an MBA will provide...post MBA I'd like to get into ME consulting and/or ME strategic planning. Can I make this transition? How?

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 8:45:29 PM)
Consortium: Can international students apply to the Consortium, and how do you assess their transcripts?

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:45:33 PM)
Shani, The Consortium supports dual degree programs.

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:45:40 PM)
Lisa: When will Michigan begin reviewing the first round Consortium applications?

leroi (Dec 11, 2007 8:45:59 PM)
Jackie: I am planning to retake my GMAT second week of January and submit the results after the CGSM January 5 deadline. How would that affect my admissions and what do I need to make sure the schools wait for the score before taking a look at my file?

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 8:46:08 PM)
Tuck Stern Texan, While I am not in Admission, I believe that the process does overlap. If you would like more details feel, free to e-mail and I can obtain more information with regard to both processes.

MBA Candidate (Dec 11, 2007 8:46:08 PM)
Thanks Jackie! For your response...I will give you call tomorrow afternoon... Thanks!

Beatrice (Dec 11, 2007 8:46:10 PM)
Thanks Harriette.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:46:21 PM)
Wazee- All Consortium applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents. If you fit either of those categories and have a degree from outside the US, you should send in an original language transcript and a certified translation.

AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN (Dec 11, 2007 8:46:22 PM)
mdh, I would recommend exploring both types of programs and investigating what type of job opportunities would be available to you at a specific school after graduating. Researching opportunities grads have taken may assist you in making this decision. Also, there are organizations which will value your 10 years of experience and other companies that are targeting candidates with the 3-5 years of experience specifically.

LisaHurstMichigan (Dec 11, 2007 8:46:26 PM)
Tombrokaw - If you applied Dec 1. You can anticipate a decision no later than Jan. 15th.

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:46:26 PM)
Shani, absolutely!

Linda Abraham (Dec 11, 2007 8:46:41 PM)
To the school reps, what do you recommend applicants ask in informational interviews between now and matriculation, assuming they have career direction?

Florence (Dec 11, 2007 8:46:52 PM)
Jackie: Do the schools have access to the Consortium interview? If yes, how does this impact their decision to interview candidates?

Tuck Stern Texan (Dec 11, 2007 8:46:57 PM)
Thanks Tammy.

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 8:47:05 PM)
Jackson, this should be possible, but you may have to work your way over using the finance background as a basis. Consulting in ME is a bit hard to plan.

mdh (Dec 11, 2007 8:47:09 PM)
thanks AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN.

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:47:36 PM)
Lisa: That's the admissions deadline. My question is when will Ross actually begin reviewing the applications?

Shani (Dec 11, 2007 8:47:41 PM)
Thank you Jackie.

LisaHurstMichigan (Dec 11, 2007 8:48:09 PM)
Linda - During the informational interview you should focus on asking for advice.

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:48:17 PM)
Leroi, you must state on your application that you are taking the GMAT later. Or feel free to contact the schools directly.

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:48:20 PM)
Jackie: For Darden/VA: I heard if a student puts your school lower than two, you refuse to give them the Fellowship. Is that true?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:48:31 PM)
Florence- The interview submitted with your Consortium application is forwarded to all schools you have ranked within the application. The interview is used for admission, not membership.

leroi (Dec 11, 2007 8:48:50 PM)
Thanks Jackie!

LisaHurstMichigan (Dec 11, 2007 8:48:51 PM)
Tombrokaw - I'm not sure of the admissions team time line to review applications. I only know decisions will be communicated by Jan. 15th.

dannyboy (Dec 11, 2007 8:49:22 PM)
Everyone seems to be avoiding salary questions...how do individual programs assist with negotiating offers of employment? I don't want to be "that guy" but being in the military, my salary is kind of dictated.

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:49:31 PM)
Wazee - our students focusing on IM have been successful in a variety of firms. I would be happy to provide you with more information (send me an email - mboutla@indiana.edu - for specifics). Also, as you know, we have an industry-based academy focusing on investment management. The academy director is very involved in facilitating contacts between students and a variety of employers. I would suggest that you contact the academy director (http://kelley.iu.edu/mba/academy/investmentmanagement/) to gain more information about academy activities (there are 3 intensive weeks with trips to companies that are great networking opportunities).

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:49:43 PM)
Tombrokaw, Darden is not on the call. I do not believe that to be true. I would talk to someone in admissions.

Roberto (Dec 11, 2007 8:49:52 PM)
All reps: If you are planning to pursue a career in consulting, should you follow the consulting path or specialize in finance (for example) and try to get into consulting that way?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:49:58 PM)
Tombrokaw- Fellowship offers vary every year, depending on the resources the school has available. People get offers from their number 1 school, and people get offers from their number 6 school. Some candidates don't get any fellowship offers.

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 8:50:18 PM)
Thank you very much Mrim.

SandyGerowUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:50:48 PM)
Dannyboy - at UNC, we will have several workshops on negotiating offers, as well as salary information from past years and meetings with career counselors to talk about your specific questions.

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 8:50:58 PM)
Linda, I would suggest that they try to gain a better sense of the job itself and also how their previous background would be perceived by someone in that industry; they could also ask the contact if they can suggest additional resources that would help them learn more about the function and industry in addition to activities that would allow the student to show a demonstrated interest in the field.

HarrietteRoyerROCHESTER (Dec 11, 2007 8:51:20 PM)
Dannyboy, at Simon we would meet with you personally to review your offer and help you identify the areas to negotiate and the strategy for countering the offer. We also offer 2 hour training programs each quarter so that our candidates are aware of important language and behavioral issues BEFORE they get the offer. This allows candidates the greatest flexibility in the negotiation process.

Linda Abraham (Dec 11, 2007 8:51:36 PM)
Tammy would you recommend that they also ask about classes they found beneficial or beneficial in recent hires?

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:51:36 PM)
Dannyboy - at Kelley, we help our students with salary/job offer negotiation through workshops and individual coaching sessions. To help with salary research, we also provide our students with an access to Vault GOLD, which has good salary data for various industries and careers.

AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN (Dec 11, 2007 8:52:14 PM)
Roberto, in our program students may choose our Applied Corporate Finance career specialization as an entry point into consulting, but overall utilizing a network of contacts is another good approach to landing a position in this field.

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:52:24 PM)
Lisa: How well does Michigan recruit to Bain and Mckinsey?

Shani (Dec 11, 2007 8:52:29 PM)
Are graduate assistants fellowships available to the fellows? Or do we have freedom, to pursue part-time jobs if necessary? Or maybe that is not recommended?

Jackson (Dec 11, 2007 8:52:51 PM)
Thank you all for your answers. Consortium--if I wish to apply to multiple schools yet I am to interview with only 1 alum from my first choice. This same interview results will be passed on to my other schools? How does that work?

dannyboy (Dec 11, 2007 8:53:00 PM)
Thank you all.

TN2010 (Dec 11, 2007 8:53:04 PM)
Do any of the schools require an additional interview or is the Consortium interview sufficient?

LisaHurstMichigan (Dec 11, 2007 8:53:11 PM)
Tombrokaw - Both Bain and McKinsey are on our top employer list.

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 8:53:49 PM)
Jackson, your interview is shared with all the schools on your application. The same way we share the recs and transcript.

Anthony (Dec 11, 2007 8:53:50 PM)
Michael thank you very much for YOUR help.

Big'n'Buff (Dec 11, 2007 8:53:58 PM)
Do the concentrations that most programs now have really matter in the recruiting process? For example, USC and UNC have very good real estate programs. Do real estate companies really target these schools for talent specifically because of the concentrations or are those concentrations really not that significant in the process?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:54:08 PM)
Jackson- The alum you interviewed with will submit an evaluation form to us. That evaluation will be forwarded to all of your school choices. In some cases, schools will ask for an additional interview. You can call each school's admissions office for their specific policies.

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 8:54:08 PM)
Roberto, I would recommend that a student aim to go into consulting or if you are unable to work in a consulting firm, to work with a corporation or small company on a project that would allow you to assess a problem and make recommendations. These type of internships may provide more opportunity for you to transition into consulting full-time than finance.

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 8:54:13 PM)
Consortium: Although I am an American Citizen, I've schooled in Nigeria all my life and I haven't had too much experience in helping underrepresented minorities. While I've been active in several social endeavors in Nigeria, I am at a loss with a good instance to put down. Please do you have any good tips for the third essay?

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 8:54:36 PM)
Roberto - It depends on a number of things: your prior work experience, your track record in terms of academic achievement, and your ability to convey your value as a candidate. I would encourage you to conduct a few info interviews with people in consulting to see what are the areas you would need to improve upon to become the best candidate you can for a career in consulting.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:54:43 PM)
Wazee- Call me tomorrow and we'll talk it over.

Tunde (Dec 11, 2007 8:55:23 PM)
To all schools, do investment banks directly recruit non-quant majors for their trading desks?

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:55:38 PM)
Lisa: Are you a second year or former Ross MBA? If so, what was your field of interest?

dannyboy (Dec 11, 2007 8:55:46 PM)
Was the low GMAT effect on the post-MBA search question answered?

WendyDukesUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:56:08 PM)
Dannyboy, low GMAT is a concern with some consulting firms and investment firms.

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 8:56:18 PM)
Big'n'Buff: we have a very strong RE center at USC (related to, but not part of Marshall). It is relationship based, so the concentration is needed to be most effective.

HarrietteRoyerROCHESTER (Dec 11, 2007 8:56:53 PM)
Tunde, at Simon we had an author as well as a former DJ get internships and later job offers at investment banks, the author went with Lehman Bros.

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 8:57:01 PM)
Thank you Rebecca.

SandyGerowUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:57:05 PM)
Big'n'Buff- recruiters tell us that they come to UNC specifically for our real estate program; in fact, I debriefed a recruiter today who told me we are one of only two programs where they recruit. The number of students here in real estate (or in any concentration) attracts recruiters as well. There needs to be a critical mass to make it worth their time.

tombrokaw (Dec 11, 2007 8:57:08 PM)
Lisa: Michigan recently plummeted in the WSJ recruiter rankings. Do you feel this will have any affect on future students employment process?

LisaHurstMichigan (Dec 11, 2007 8:57:14 PM)
Tombrokaw - Neither, prior experience working on the admissions team and now working in OCD.

ED (Dec 11, 2007 8:57:26 PM)
Rebecca- Is your fax number posted on the consortium site somewhere?

WendyDukesUNC (Dec 11, 2007 8:57:29 PM)
Big'N'Buff - Real Estate is a significant functional area at UNC. You can email us for more info wendy_dukes@unc.edu.

AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN (Dec 11, 2007 8:57:29 PM)
Tunde, it is a possibility, however many investment banks look at our Applied Securities Analysis and Applied Corporate Finance students - more quant. A student from a non-quant area may have an opportunity to be added to an interview schedule who has great interest...and perhaps related quant experience.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 8:57:41 PM)
ED- The fax number is 314-877-5505.

Big'n'Buff (Dec 11, 2007 8:57:45 PM)
Thank you MichaelPayneUSC.

dannyboy (Dec 11, 2007 8:57:52 PM)
I am not afraid to share my GMAT score to get a better feel so...my score is a 650 skewed towards the verbal end. Is this considered low for my consulting pursuits?

Tunde (Dec 11, 2007 8:57:58 PM)
Thank you Harriett.

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 8:58:51 PM)
Tunde, some investment banks will look for other attributes in addition to quantitative skills, but if you are able to develop and showcase your analytical and quantitative skills while in graduate schools that would be beneficial. Students who are able to develop those skills while in graduate school and can also showcase their decision making skills would be attractive. Typically most programs for graduate schools will have students go through a rotational program for both sales and trading, and will look to see how well you are able to network and build relationships with company representatives - so they consider many factors.

Roberto (Dec 11, 2007 8:59:43 PM)
Rebecca: I know that anyone is welcome to apply through the Consortium, but is priority given to minority applicants for the fellowships?

Florence (Dec 11, 2007 8:59:51 PM)
What is the best strategy for obtaining informational interviews at companies that one is interested in?

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 8:59:57 PM)
Thank you Rebecca.

Big'n'Buff (Dec 11, 2007 9:00:00 PM)
Thank you Sandy and Wendy.

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 9:00:05 PM)
Dannyboy - we have seen the big firms have a hard cut-off at 700. The smaller, more specialized firms are more flexible.

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 9:00:44 PM)
Dannyboy - top consulting firms are very competitive, and ask for GMAT scores. Some of our consulting firms have a cut-off between 650-700 as a minimum. However, more than your GMAT number, your effective and persistent networking will definitely help your pursuit.

dannyboy (Dec 11, 2007 9:00:46 PM)
Michael- ouch, brand management here I come.

LisaHurstMichigan (Dec 11, 2007 9:00:58 PM)
Tombrokaw - The drop in the WSJ rankings was a disappointment but when the Class of 2007 completed their job search, we actually saw the highest rate of student with job offers at graduation than in previous years.

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 9:01:00 PM)

Tunde (Dec 11, 2007 9:01:03 PM)
AliciaSchetterWisconsin: Can I take classes to make up for a lack of experience trading securities?

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 9:01:05 PM)
Florence - Networking, Networking, Networking.

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 9:01:14 PM)
LisaHurst: How frequently do your students end up on Wall Street as investment bankers?

SandyGerowUNC (Dec 11, 2007 9:01:14 PM)
Florence - working with your network and through your school's alumni is one of the best strategies for getting informational interviews.

Elle (Dec 11, 2007 9:01:19 PM)
Tammy - In undergrad I was an engineering major with a sub- 3.0 GPA. I took the GMAT and initially got a 650 but will be retaking it in late January? Since I will have already submitted my application, what is the best way to inform you of my updated score? And how important is it that I reach that 700 mark due to my GPA?

WendyDukesUNC (Dec 11, 2007 9:01:24 PM)
Dannyboy - we have a great marketing program at UNC.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 9:01:24 PM)
Roberto- Decisions are made in 3 steps- admission, membership, and fellowship. You must achieve each step before the next one is considered. That means you have to pass the membership test by showing your committment to The Consortium's mission of assisting people of underrepresented groups before any fellowship consideration even starts. However, once the fellowship consideration begins, the awards are merit-based.

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 9:01:53 PM)
Dannyboy - Marketing rocks at Kelley :)!

LisaHurstMichigan (Dec 11, 2007 9:01:55 PM)
Wazee - I believe the figure is 10% but please check the employment profile which is located on our website.

AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN (Dec 11, 2007 9:01:55 PM)
Tunde, in our program you would be able to take specific classes or electives, it you did not choose a related career specialization. Yes, this is an option.

Athena08 (Dec 11, 2007 9:01:59 PM)
Simon and NYU: I've attended some recruitment events, but I don't feel like the admissions office "knows" me. Any advice on how to "get to know" the admissions staff at this stage in the application process??

HarrietteRoyerROCHESTER (Dec 11, 2007 9:02:02 PM)
Florence, start with people you know who work there or who can introduce you. Alumni of the school you plan to attend may be particularly open to talking with you, as would alumni from your undergraduate school.

LVS (Dec 11, 2007 9:02:05 PM)
MichaelPayneUSC - this may have already been asked, but I would like to know if an additional interview is required/recommended if one has already completed a Consortium interview.

dannyboy (Dec 11, 2007 9:02:12 PM)
Michael perhaps you could learn bedside manner from Mrim :)

Roberto (Dec 11, 2007 9:02:17 PM)
Thanks Rebecca!

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 9:02:27 PM)
Thank you Lisa.

Hassan J. (Dec 11, 2007 9:02:34 PM)
PayneUSC, is it possible to retake the exam during school and use your new GMAT score with the larger firms?

ED (Dec 11, 2007 9:03:13 PM)
Wow the response to Dannyboy's question was quite depressing I got a 620 so unless I score better on the GMAT my dreams as working at an investment bank are pretty much shattered. Right?

Tunde (Dec 11, 2007 9:03:15 PM)
Thank you TammySimmons.

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 9:03:31 PM)
Hassan - I don't think so. Networking is best (how's that, dannyboy? :-)

Florence (Dec 11, 2007 9:03:43 PM)
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions. The session has been very helpful.

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 9:04:15 PM)
LVS, I would say so, if you can get the opportunity.

Andre Llewellyn (Dec 11, 2007 9:04:30 PM)
Tammy: You seemed as though you were willing to give advice on the EMT-based careers based on my last question... can I contact you via e-mail to discuss further?

HarrietteRoyerROCHESTER (Dec 11, 2007 9:04:35 PM)
Athena, at Simon we welcome you to call us and to chat with current students, alumni, and other administrative staff about your interest in Simon and why our school might be especially a good fit for you. We're a small school, know each other, and talk with each other. We would be happy to introduce you to other Consortium students currently at Simon who could help connect you to Admissions and coach you on what we're looking for in admits.

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 9:04:47 PM)
Mrim...just out of curiosity, how well does Kelley place students interested in investment banking on Wall Street? And how far does the CFA designation help in the process?

SandyGerowUNC (Dec 11, 2007 9:04:51 PM)
Ed - You might want to consider re-taking the GMAT if you're interested in investment banking.

JD - More Info (Dec 11, 2007 9:04:56 PM)
How do consulting recruiters view someone with a JD/MBA? I'm just finishing the JD and would like to know if it is an asset or a detriment. Thanks in advance!

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 9:05:10 PM)
Elle, I would contact Admissions now to inform them that you will be taking the GMAT again and find out if that would be in time for the decision making process; that way you will know whether they can still factor the results in before making their final decision

Linda Abraham (Dec 11, 2007 9:05:46 PM)
Last call for questions...

WendyDukesUNC (Dec 11, 2007 9:05:47 PM)
JD - this is not a detriment...you just have to spin it the right way with recruiters.

SandyGerowUNC (Dec 11, 2007 9:06:03 PM)
JD - it would depend on the type of consulting, but unless it's very specialized, it would probably not be a value-added to them.

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 9:06:33 PM)
Andre, Sure...wanted to get a sense of what your career interest are; feel free to contact me to discuss further.

Linda Abraham (Dec 11, 2007 9:06:42 PM)
What are five fatal flaws in cover letters?

SandyGerowUNC (Dec 11, 2007 9:06:50 PM)
Typos. Wrong company name.  Not writing to the job description.

Tunde (Dec 11, 2007 9:06:52 PM)
Thank you TammySimmonsNYU, also is there a low end score NYU would be willing to consider for admissions with regards to the quantitative portion of the gmat?

dannyboy (Dec 11, 2007 9:07:01 PM)
What recommendations would you have for those attending the OP with regards to being prepared to make every attempt to land a quality internship?

WendyDukesUNC (Dec 11, 2007 9:07:05 PM)
Beginning your letter with "I am writing to express my interest in xxx company..."

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 9:07:39 PM)
Dannyboy - you really want to know what you want before you go. Don't window shop.

Tunde (Dec 11, 2007 9:07:45 PM)
To all schools: So is there an unofficial cut-off point for investment banking? 700 and above?

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 9:07:50 PM)
Consortium: Do you consider undergraduate GPAs in its entirety or do you analyze the actual grades for signs of progress?

AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN (Dec 11, 2007 9:07:55 PM)
Dannyboy, work on resume development, your networking message and interviewing prep.

Andre Llewellyn (Dec 11, 2007 9:08:06 PM)
Tammy: Short-term interest is marketing in the tech sector. Longer-term interest is business development in the tech sector.

Tunde (Dec 11, 2007 9:08:24 PM)
May I call you at NYU and WISCONSIN, TammySimmons and AliciaSchetter?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Dec 11, 2007 9:08:35 PM)
Wazee- Each school evaluates its applicants and makes its own decisions. You should check with each admissions office individually.

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 9:08:50 PM)
Thank you Rebecca.

AliciaSchetterWISCONSIN (Dec 11, 2007 9:09:06 PM)
Tunde, yes please call 608-265-2353. Look forward to speaking with you further.

Linda Abraham (Dec 11, 2007 9:09:14 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to all the Consortium representatives here this evening.

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 9:09:22 PM)
Wazee - we have four ways to help our students interested in IBanking - specialized coach for IBanking, companies coming to recruit on campus, our IBanking academy and our alumni network. In the last few years, our Kelley student placement was great across the board, including IBanking. I would be happy to have a conversation with you regarding additional questions you might have. Send me an email and we'll set up a time to talk (mboutla@indiana.edu).

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 9:09:27 PM)
Goodnight All, thanks for your participation.

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 9:09:28 PM)
Thank you everyone.

dannyboy (Dec 11, 2007 9:09:30 PM)
Based on those responses, can an admitted student receive help with all of your recommendations prior to the start of OP?

Linda Abraham (Dec 11, 2007 9:09:34 PM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats. Here is a list of currently scheduled chats:

• London Business School Dec. 12 (tomorrow!) 
  • Notre Dame Jan. 9, 2008 
  • Emory Jan. 14, 2008

Please check http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.aspx#mba for exact times and details.

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 9:09:39 PM)
Tunde, I cannot speak to whether are not there is a low end, since I am directly involved in the Admissions process.

JD - More Info (Dec 11, 2007 9:09:49 PM)
Thank you everyone!

Tunde (Dec 11, 2007 9:10:06 PM)
Thank you both.

LVS (Dec 11, 2007 9:10:08 PM)
MichaelPayneUSC - Can you please expand some more regarding interviewing at USC after the Consortium interview is complete? Thanks.

wazee (Dec 11, 2007 9:10:19 PM)
Thank you everyone.

JackieOldenConsortium (Dec 11, 2007 9:10:20 PM)
Dannyboy...career services work with CGSM students prior to OP and during OP.

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 9:10:58 PM)
Tune, feel free to contact me at 212-998-0992 or tsimmons@stern.nyu.edu

MrimBoutlaINDIANA (Dec 11, 2007 9:11:05 PM)
Dannyboy - do your research, and be able to answer 2 questions: What do you bring to the table that will be an asset to the company, and why a specific career and company would be a good fit for you.

MichaelPayneUSC (Dec 11, 2007 9:11:07 PM)
LVS - best to send an email to our general admissions email on the website. They will give you better info than I.

Linda Abraham (Dec 11, 2007 9:11:07 PM)
Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

TammySimmonsNYU (Dec 11, 2007 9:13:23 PM)
Tunde, ee will not be available during winter break - which is from December 20 - through January 3rd. FYI. Will speak with you soon.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room