2008 London Business School MBA Admissions Chat with Tamsin Shillitoe

2008 London Business School MBA Admissions Chat with Tamsin Shillitoe

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending an e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 1:02:08 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat.  First I want to welcome all applicants to the London Business School chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about London Business School. Whether you are working hard on your application to prepare for London Business School’s Round 2 deadline on January 4 or you are doing research with the intention of submitting later this year, you need to know as much as you can to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice. Being here today allows you to ask the London Business School experts about this outstanding business school.  I also want to welcome the impressive team London Business School has assembled to answer your questions today:

• Tamsin Shiltoe is MBA Marketing and Admissions Manager and oversees all regions in terms of MBA admissions. Tamsin is also the MBA lead in relation to loan financing and MBA scholarships portfolio.
  • Emma Bond, Marketing Communications and Admissions Manager –not only takes the lead with several of the key corporate scholarship companies but she also possesses much valuable experience in MBA admissions - with particular expertise in relation to the Japan market.
  • Graeme Harper, MBA Marketing Manager –Along with Emma Bond, Graeme is part of the team that decides on a lot of the London Business School MBA web content that is aimed towards prospective and current candidates. The latter includes the latest video clips, podcasts as well as all their MBA facts and figures. He also oversees the official London Business School MBA student blog - known as “Inside the London MBA” (http://mbablog.london.edu/), Graeme also supports a football (soccer) team called Newcastle United which may be known by some of our Accepted.com chat participants.
  • Kitty Lee, MBA2009. Kitty is a first year MBA student. She is one of the MBA student ambassadors. Kitty is a UK/Canadian national. She followed undergraduate studies in Business Administration at the University of Michigan. Prior to the MBA Kitty worked as a consultant with Mercer Management Consulting in the United States.
  • Megh Kamath of MBA2009. Megh is also a first year MBA student and he is also one of the MBA student ambassadors. Megh is from India and followed undergraduate studies in Mechanical Engineering at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. Prior to joining London Business School, Megh’s most recent professional experience was in the UK as an Assistant Vice President at Credit Suisse.

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 1:03:08 PM)
Welcome. Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 1:03:49 PM)
Kitty and Megh: Could you also tell us what you are concentrating in? What you hope to do this summer and post MBA?

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 1:04:11 PM)
I guess Kitty will be here in a minute, so that question right now is just for Megh.

Abhinav (Dec 12, 2007 1:04:26 PM)
Tamsin, I am interested in helping/consulting for small and medium businesses. Do you have any courses which are related to the same?

NR (Dec 12, 2007 1:04:37 PM)
Graeme: I wanted to know more about the summer consulting team? Is it only people who have prior experience with consulting?

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:04:37 PM)
I'm looking at investment banking opportunities for the summer and post MBA.....at the moment we have finished some of our core subjects but second year it would be finance.

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 1:05:22 PM)
Emma, how is recruiting looking overall for 2008 grads? And for the class of 2009 which is now seeking internships?

aaalbs (Dec 12, 2007 1:06:09 PM)
Tamsin, Emma, and Graeme: What are you specifically looking for? If that is too broad, then what are some of the things that are a strict 'no' from adcom point of view?

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:06:35 PM)
NR: The Summer Consulting Team is actually well suited to those that have no prior consulting experience. This is a good chance to build that experience. Manish from the blog is a good example of this. You can find more info at http://www.london.edu/programmes/summerconsulting.html.

entrepreneur (Dec 12, 2007 1:07:12 PM)
Graeme: Could you elaborate on the entrepreneurship opportunities available at LBS (apart from the summer school). I am interested in the potential to meet VC's, Business Plan Contests and such... I know a few US schools have 50k/100k competitions for entrepreneurs - does LBS have something similar? Also, how does the admissions committee look at a prospective student with only 2-3 years professional work experience but significant entrepreneurial experience? Thanks!

lbs_for_08 (Dec 12, 2007 1:07:18 PM)
Can you tell me what resources LBS has for students interested in entrepreneurship particularly for candidates who are currently entrepreneurs themselves and are looking at LBS to build a firm foundation?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:07:38 PM)
Linda, generally recruiting is looking very strong. We are pleased to see that recruiting remains very strong in finance, but also that the number of industry firms where students are interning and taking final positions continues to grow. Increasing numbers of students are taking up positions with companies like 3i, Google, Pepsico, BP - and of course the number of people going into the very top consulting firms like McKinsey, BCG, Bain etc remains high.

Amit (Dec 12, 2007 1:07:59 PM)
Megh and Kitty: For the new interns- I am interested in your background work experience prior to having been admitted.

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:08:05 PM)
NR: Manish came from many years of tech experience and through a combination of working in the Summer Consulting Team and activities in the Consulting Club made the transition to consulting.

Manoj (Dec 12, 2007 1:08:15 PM)
Emma: Hi, I wish to make a career shift from IT to Finance, and have 12 years experience in construction and IT, will it be good idea to go for MBA at LBS?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:08:34 PM)
aaalbs - that would be giving too much away! I guess what we don't want to see is a generic application form - we want to know why people feel London is the right fit for them, and what they would contribute here on campus.

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:08:37 PM)
Hi Amit, I was in strategy and operations consulting for 6 years with Oliver Wyman.

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:09:19 PM)
Hello Abhinav, firstly you will be learning not only from our faculty and their experiences and business contacts who will come in for events or lectures to share their experiences but from your fellow students. Your class mates will boast a wealth of experience from the consulting field and this is brought together in the Consulting student club. Amongst other courses, we do have a specific first year summer elective entitled 'Strategies for growth' which focuses on the SMEs. You also have opportunities to put theory into practice with the second year consulting project, your summer internship or joining the London Business School summer consulting team.

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:09:23 PM)
Amit: I spent just five years with Credit Suisse working in the risk management department in Singapore and then London. In Singapore I covered Equities trading and in London FX and Interest Rates.

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 1:09:27 PM)
Tamsin: I know that LBS looks at your "international" experience when considering your application? How big a role does this play and what types of experiences do you look for if you haven't worked abroad?

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:10:01 PM)
Entrepreneur: Firstly, several of our students have entered the programme with only 2-3 years of post-grad work experience. If you have entrepreneurial experience in addition to this then that is a plus.

streich (Dec 12, 2007 1:10:02 PM)
Graeme: I will be in London the week of January 14. Are Admissions Interviews decided far later than that date? With whom can I meet that week to learn more about the school, and how do I arrange those meetings?

vish (Dec 12, 2007 1:10:18 PM)
Emma: I have a Gmat of 640.  I wanted to check- with that score do I need to have an exceptionally strong story to get in or a good story that relates well to my goals and background will keep me in competition?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:10:23 PM)
Manoj - Hi, well we have an extremely strong reputation in finance, and students going into this sector are starting to diversify more into areas like asset management and real estate. So if you are wanting to make a shift into this area then we are definitely a positive choice, and we are located in a global financial capital as well.

Fernando (Dec 12, 2007 1:10:58 PM)
Emma: When looking for the best Letter of Recommendation, is it better someone from your own company, a customer, someone from the government, another education institution or the best is to look just for someone with a very high position? Thank you.

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 1:11:44 PM)
Students: What attracted you to London Business School?  Has your experience met your expectations?

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:11:57 PM)
Manoj: We had a student, I believe in 2006, who was a professional soccer player in the US in MLS and then moved to investment banking after graduation. It is definitely possible to move from non-finance to finance.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:12:02 PM)
Vish - Hi, we look at applicants from a holistic perspective, so whilst GMAT and academics are important, it's not just about that. 640 is a good score but you might want to remember that our average is currently about 690. Whatever your GMAT score, you'll need to convince us with a strong career track, good essays, strong references, and a polished application.

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 1:12:15 PM)
I also want to welcome Mary Ferreira from London Business School's admissions office. Welcome Mary.

maly (Dec 12, 2007 1:12:33 PM)
Mary: Do most students spend their internships in the UK? Or are there many that intern throughout Western Europe or the US, and if so, how difficult is it to find? I am specifically interested in finance/banking ops.

Taha (Dec 12, 2007 1:12:35 PM)
Emma: Would applying in the third round would be a good idea for international candidates?

NR (Dec 12, 2007 1:12:56 PM)
Graeme: I checked the profile of the consulting team at present, and it looked like everybody had a background in consulting, How is the team chosen? I am looking to do pharmaceutical consulting post MBA and it would be very beneficial to be a part of the summer consulting team.

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:13:06 PM)
For me London business School offered the following....strength in finance....brilliant faculty and community...and the city of London...this was backed up by a very strong career services group which was critical for my career.

gautam (Dec 12, 2007 1:13:14 PM)
Tamsin: Given the emphasis that LBS places on diversity, are there fixed targets of nationality, functional experience, etc that the adcom looks to meet?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:13:38 PM)
lbs_for_08, the School offers a range of opportunities for students looking to take an entrepreneurial route through their MBA. Last year we introduced a new core course called Discovering Entrepreneurial Opportunities which gives students the tools to identifying new opportunities. There are also electives available from our vast portfolio and the Entrepreneurship Summer School for those who have a business idea they wish to work on to see if it will be feasible. The GEM - Global Entrepreneurship Monitor is one of the faculty research areas and also of great interest to students.

streich (Dec 12, 2007 1:13:56 PM)
Is it possible to get a transcript of this session, so I can have all the links and answers? When will that be available?

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:14:01 PM)
Linda, London Business School is parallel to none in terms of diversity. The international flavor permeates not only the academics but the student body and internship/full time work opportunities here. Our students are recruited into positions in Asia, all over Europe, the Middle East and the US. In terms of expectations, I think it has exceeded my expectations in that I have learned far more about myself, my interests and my strengths/areas for improvement.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:14:21 PM)
Fernando - Hi, we recommend that you avoid recommendations from someone in a very high position, unless you work closely with them on a regular basis. This is because we much prefer that your recommenders can comment intelligently on your capacity to contribute in the classroom, and your leadership potential. It's fine to use a supervisor or a client if going to your direct supervisor is difficult; educational references are fine but it's better to get professional ones if you can unless you have only had one position since graduating.

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 1:14:25 PM)
Yes. The transcript should be posted in about a week. It will be accessible from the London Business School page on Accepted.com.

sandro (Dec 12, 2007 1:14:42 PM)
Emma: I am interested in the Decision, Risk, and operation concentration, does LBS have a specific area that focuses on that?

aaalbs (Dec 12, 2007 1:15:22 PM)
Megh: Were you working on the IT side of risk management/equities trading or were you on the business side and actually trading yourself?

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 1:15:55 PM)
Students: Who are you favorite professors? What have been your best classes?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:16:00 PM)
Taha - Hi, we recommend that any candidate applies as early as possible - and don't forget that nearly all our candidates are international! Currently 89% of our class comes from outside the UK. There are still places in the third round of course, but it inevitably gets tighter the later in the year it gets. And of course, if you apply in Round 4 you also cut yourself out of the running for most of our scholarship portfolio.

Applicant08 (Dec 12, 2007 1:16:03 PM)
Graeme and Emma: I have heard about the active media club at LBS, could you tell us a little more about any connections with media companies at the school, and how students wishing to go into that field can take advantage?

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:16:12 PM)
Maly: Many student do their internships outside the UK.....there is a US trek organized for students who are interested to pursue opportunities in the US...similarly it is possible to work in Western Europe by letting companies know your preference.

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 1:16:19 PM)
Mary: I have a marketing background but am looking at both schools with strong marketing programs (since this career field) as well as schools with strong finance programs (since this is a personal weakness of mine). I'd consider LBS more of a finance school. In your opinion as I'm considering schools, does it make sense as a marketing person to go to LBS or is it better for me to pick more of a "marketing" school (like Kellogg)?

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:16:54 PM)
aaalbs: I worked on the business side as a risk manager. My job involved supporting the trading desks so I wasn't trading but helping senior traders manage and measure the risk in their portfolios.

MaryFerreiraLONDONN (Dec 12, 2007 1:17:08 PM)
Hello Linda - my PC is playing up a bit today so my typing may be slow. Must be time for our Christmas holidays! Many students undertake internships in the UK but also in other countries. Our 2nd year class for example took summer jobs in Dubai, China, India, USA, Switzerland - in fact all over the globe. It is the same with many of the 2nd year project clients. Many of these projects include an international element. in fact over 50 of the MBA2007 class followed projects in countries outside the UK - that were also not their home country. FYI: Average internship weekly earnings for MBA2008 were US$2,000.

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:17:18 PM)
Linda, my best classes have been Strategy - the professor has been outstanding. The reason I liked it so much was because it took a class which is typically seen as "soft" and taught some very interesting frameworks and taught a new way of thinking. However, my favorite professor was Prof. Cornelli, who taught our Corporate Finance class.

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:18:08 PM)
Entrepreneur: With regard to case and business plan competitions, there are many. Just to name a few are the European Business Plan of the Year competition that was won by our students in Milan earlier this year, the HSBC Global Deal comp, and the Alpha Challenge which was won by students from our Investment Management Club.

Gundeep (Dec 12, 2007 1:18:11 PM)
Emma: Hello I am working in Motorola, UK for last 4 years as a Software Engineer, and would like to do part-time MBA. I think EMBA is part-time, but is only for people with background in management. So I am not sure if there is any program suitable for me in LBS. Can you please advise?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:18:13 PM)
Sandro - hi, we have courses in Decision and Risk analysis and a number of electives in Management Science and Operations. The best thing is to look at our website for a full rundown of courses that are currently available.

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 1:18:40 PM)
Graeme: One concern I have about going to LBS is that looking at the 2008 and 2009 classes, most people have finance or consulting backgrounds and after school, go into finance or consulting. Will I have trouble finding a job if I'm looking at Industry positions -- I feel the milkround for Industry isn't quite as organized or strong as finance/consulting milkround.

NR (Dec 12, 2007 1:19:25 PM)
Megh or Kitty: Could you please elaborate on how study groups are chosen? Does everyone get their opinions heard in the group studies? Would it be difficult for someone with little management experience to contribute effectively to the group?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:19:41 PM)
Lauraumn, As you know London Business School is 'global' in all aspects. So from an admissions point of view we are really looking for students who will fit in and thrive in this kind of environment. You will be working in a study group during your core courses throughout the first year. It is very unlikely that you will have anyone from your group who is from the same nationality. Most students joining the programme have some international experience or exposure whether from their studies or work experience. Whilst in some cases this may vary depending on their individual situation it is important that you are open to working in a multi-cultural environment and appreciate the value this will bring to your learning experience and career. We also receive feedback from recruiters that additional languages are a plus to your profile.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:19:50 PM)
Gundeep - Hi, our EMBA programme is a general management degree, but people come to it from all different backgrounds. The main thing to remember is that this is a programme that requires you to be on campus every second consecutive Friday and Saturday, so you remain in employment whilst you are studying.

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 1:20:03 PM)
Emma: I've been reading a lot online about strategy around applying first round versus second round (I'm applying in fall '08 for class of '09). What are your thoughts on your chances of getting in if you apply 1st vs 2nd? Does it really matter? Are there advantages to one over the other?

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:20:29 PM)
Linda: To add onto strategy and finance, I have enjoyed and learned so much from the soft courses: Business Communication, Negotiations and Art of communication with the latter 2 being part of the leadership program, a core requirement for first year student

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:21:21 PM)
Lauraumn: Although London Business School may be perceived as "finance" school, it has some very strong marketing classes in Brand Management and International Marketing. We also have a number of very strong marketing relationships with large companies where we place many of students such as PepsiCo, L'Oreal, etc. The key difference is that London Business School gives you opportunities to work more heavily in international markets and we have a number of very strong retail chains in the UK. Finally, you should also consider a school for multiple reasons beyond academics - the culture, the location, the types of job opportunities thereafter.

entrepreneur (Dec 12, 2007 1:21:26 PM)
Graeme: Thank you for answering the admissions section of my question - still looking for more on what other entrepreneurial opportunities LBS provides - i.e. business plan contest, connections with VC's...

TN2010 (Dec 12, 2007 1:21:38 PM)
Students, how have you found the strategy curriculum thus far?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:22:29 PM)
Lauraumn - Hi, there really isn't any difference between the first and second rounds to be honest - there will still be plenty of places available even after round 2. The only real difference is that some of the scholarships may have already been given out in Stage 1, but even the majority of those are not decided until after the completion of Stage 3.

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:22:32 PM)
Streich: It depends in which Stage you submit an application as to when you might receive an interview. Stage 2 applicants will hear if they have been invited for an interview on 12 Feb. A full list of dates can be found at http://www.london.edu/mba/admissions.html.

cdeneo (Dec 12, 2007 1:22:42 PM)
Hi Tamsin, I have a GMAT of 640 and am planning to retake it a couple weeks after the round 2 admission deadline - would my new GMAT score be considered if higher or would a decision be made on my current GMAT score?

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:22:53 PM)
Entrepreneur: I have competed in 3 case competitions within 3 months and have made it to final rounds in 2. There is a plethora of competitions / business plan writing competitions where you can get very specific feedback and the potential to win cash prizes.

Sergio_NL (Dec 12, 2007 1:22:56 PM)
Greetings from The Netherlands! Emma: Could you comment on the increased volume of applications in this year's R1 with respect to the previous year? Will this have an effect in class size? Thanks.

Taha (Dec 12, 2007 1:23:25 PM)
Graeme: Is it possible to send a recommendation letter other than the two references to be completed online?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:23:47 PM)
Oscar, as I was mentioning earlier the value of your learning on the MBA programme is two fold, both from our world class professors and the high caliber students. As such, at London Business School we are keen to see students who can contribute to the learning environment, e.g. class discussion. We do not relate our admissions to age guidelines but do look closely at the what you have achieved to date in your career and how this will fit in with the class as well as impact your overall recruitment opportunities.

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 1:24:01 PM)
Tamsin: For scholarships, are there separate applications or are you automatically considered with your main application packet?

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:24:32 PM)
Entrepreneur: We have an Entrepreneurship Club here at London Business School. There are also many students here that are interested in entrepreneurship that are doing things on the side - for example, I am actually in the process of developing a new business idea with 3 or 4 of my colleagues which we hope to launch in the next 9-12 months.

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:24:51 PM)
NR: Study groups are allocated by the program office. They ensure that each group has a breadth of diversity and experience....for example in my group I have 2 from finance, 1 from strategy, 1 from family business, 1 from marketing and 1 from industry....similarly they are from all over the world...for contributions it is up to each individual...perspectives matter a lot for an efficient group result...there are 2 members in the group with limited management experience but that is not a limitation...in fact it brings fresh perspective in the group...we also ensure that each member becomes a project manager for one of the group projects...this way you get to manage people, improve your managerial experience and become a better manager.

MaryFerreiraLONDONN (Dec 12, 2007 1:25:02 PM)
Hello Lauramn. We are certainly proud of our excellent reputation in finance but we also have fantastic offering across marketing, strategy and entrepreneurship for example. I think the key is to find some some schools that are a good "fit" for you and think honestly about the weighting that you give the different criteria that are important for you - location, brand, profile of class, firms that hire, global networks for alumni, opportunities for student partners to work/study, ambiance of the campus, practical opportunities. As well as the curriculum and teaching staff. We certainly have graduates who move into some of the more classic marketing roles. For example, one of our student ambassadors from last year is now working in quite a senior role linked to global brands with an FMCG in Switzerland . We also have great marketing electives and of course a very active student organised marketing club as well as all the opportunities afforded by our location and recruiter and alumni contacts.

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:25:46 PM)
Entrepreneur: You can find a load of information on our Entrep. Club website at http://www.entrepreneurship-club.org/ including details of the annual Entrep. conference.

Manoj (Dec 12, 2007 1:25:53 PM)
Tamsin: What is the age group of the students in LSB, is being in mid thirties a disadvantage?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:26:03 PM)
Sergio - Hi, we've had a substantial increase in Stage 1 applications so competition is going to be tough again this year. We don't have any plans to increase class size in response to the increase in apps; we believe our current class size is optimum - big enough to create a lot of opportunities through your peer group, but small enough to ensure a comfortable MBA experience. I'm not sure where you are based in the Netherlands, but if you are near Amsterdam please feel free to come along to our Information Session at the Sheraton Airport hotel next Monday night!

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 1:26:15 PM)
Emma: I'm looking at doing an exchange my 2nd year of my MBA -- do you see it as a disadvantage to be away from London when searching for a FT position? Is it easier to do exchange fall or spring term in order to have minimal impact on job hunting?

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:26:26 PM)
Taha: We don't recommend that candidates send more than the 2 required references.

Abhinav (Dec 12, 2007 1:26:33 PM)
Graeme: My college grades were not good, but I worked hard to get a professional degree in finance (CPA) is that sufficient for a consideration from the adcom all other things being equal?

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:27:39 PM)
TN2010: Strategy is new to me so it was a brilliant course to take.....each session was a case study to explain different concepts...for example porters five forces...we also had a mid -term strategy paper on Zara....I have found the course to be excellent...for a novice in strategy I have taken away understanding and application of different frameworks to real business issues...something which will always be helpful in my career.

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 1:27:56 PM)
Megh and Student09: Who are you favorite professors? What have been your best classes?

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:28:12 PM)
TN2010: Even coming from a consulting background, I found the strategy class to be outstanding.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:29:04 PM)
Lauraumn - hi again, there are always some trade-offs when going on exchange, but I think most people who do take the opportunity to go would say that the benefits far outweigh these. As you may know, we currently exchange with over 30 top schools.  In terms of choosing between exchange terms, it's probably better to be away in the fall.

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:29:11 PM)
Hello cdeneo, if you are retaking your GMAT after the deadline, please update the Admissions team with your unofficial score that you receive on the day you take your test so that we can update your application.

Amit (Dec 12, 2007 1:29:17 PM)
Emma: Does LBS offer programs on Technology Transfer (i.e. early stage technology to license or start-up opportunities)?

vish (Dec 12, 2007 1:29:23 PM)
Tamsin: I am an engineer and cannot get a recommendation from my direct supervisor. I can either get it from a senior engineer who I worked closely with or a vendor. Which would be a better choice?

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:29:41 PM)
Linda: Prof Mateo, Strategy and Prof Cornelli, Finance are my favorite teachers......classes would be finance, strategy, leadership courses such as negotiations and communication.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:30:12 PM)
Amit - hi, this is quite a specific question so rather than put you wrong on this, I'd suggest you check out our suite of electives around technology and entrepreneurship on the website.

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:30:21 PM)
We also have an outstanding professor Freek Vermuelen who is a professor with the Strategy department.

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 1:30:21 PM)
Mary: If I have a 680 on my GMAT, does my college GPA have any impact on getting accepted? I know it's a part of my application packet and you take a holistic approach, but I've heard that a decent GMAT makes the college GPA fairly unimportant (I have a 3.3 college GPA).

redcliffe (Dec 12, 2007 1:30:31 PM)
Emma: I recently took my GMAT, and got a score which is in line with your current average, and so normally would not be concerned. But I scored far higher on the verbal than the maths - is the maths score considered more important and in those circumstances is it considered that this may harm an application enough for it to be worth retaking?

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:30:56 PM)
NR: I believe 4 or 5 of this year's team did have some previous consulting experience, but this is contrary to previous years. It is not required, but the Career Services team (who select the SCT) do choose the best people from those that apply, so I guess that's the way it worked this year.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:31:10 PM)
Redcliffe - Hi, obviously quant is important on the GMAT, but unless it's really low (and you maybe have an arts background) we generally look at the overall score.

entrepreneur (Dec 12, 2007 1:31:54 PM)
Graeme: The exchange program you guys have seems quite interesting. What is the competition for this? For example, if I wanted to go to Wharton/MIT on exchange, what are the chances of me being able to go?

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:33:05 PM)
Jaime: The first year core courses are an introduction to finance......basic stuff...the second year has more intense electives which will be more quantitative...please note that there are many first year students with no background in finance so an introduction to the concepts is necessary...MiF is an intense one year finance program...so the modules will be more intense and quantitative than the MBA.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:33:24 PM)
Aldo - hi, as we are based in such a large global capital the core of our recruiting base does come from London, but given that companies know how international our student body is they are often looking for people to fill overseas positions, including in Latin America. Interestingly, it looks like we may have an increase in Latin American scholarships in the near future.

streich (Dec 12, 2007 1:33:33 PM)
Emma: Would it be possible to chat with local (Silicon Valley) alum in the VC community? How would I set that up?

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 1:33:52 PM)
Megh and Student 09: You’re active in a number of different extra-curricular activities. How do you find the time, and could you tell us a little about them?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:34:44 PM)
Streich - Hi, this should be no problem. Let me know where you are based and I'll give you the email address of the relevant person in the admissions team so you can contact them for this information away from the public chat.

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:34:54 PM)
Abhinav: Professional qualifications and a good GMAT will help to counter-balance a below-par GPA, so it will then also depend upon the remainder of your application.

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:34:55 PM)
Manoj, the age range for the class of MBA 2009 at London Business School was 23 - 39. We are looking at what applicants are able to contribute to the class and how this will tie in with their goals post MBA. For candidates applying with relatively low work experience, we would expect them to have progressed above their peers and be able to fit into a class where the average experience is around 5-6 years. Students with more relative work experience would need to demonstrate progression in line with the amount of work experience they have, e.g. demonstrating strong leadership skills.

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 1:34:59 PM)
I'm concerned about first year fall term -- I don't have a strong finance background and know that more than one fall term required class is quantitative. Do students without quantitative background struggle first term or is it not that bad?

Chawdley (Dec 12, 2007 1:35:31 PM)
Emma: I have a broad question: LBS seems to be, as are many MBA programs, highly focused on finance and wealth management (as lauraumn just pointed to). For someone interested in Business and organization change management, what does LBS offer?

cdeneo (Dec 12, 2007 1:35:56 PM)
Graeme - can you shed some light into how many seats are open for admissions comparing round 2 vs round 3? Is it much harder to get into round 3 just because fewer seats are left to fill at that point?

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 1:37:01 PM)
Mary: On average, how much do students get paid for their second year projects? What factors into how much they get paid?

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:37:03 PM)
Linda: I am active in Young Enterprise (mentoring high school students in entrepreneurship), informal student VC club and case competitions. I also find time to participate in various Women in Business events. For me, the MBA is about exploration about my various areas of interest and this has given the me opportunity to learn in and outside the classroom. I find time by prioritizing - I came into the MBA with 2-3 goals and prioritize those I think meet those. I also tend to plan ahead as many activities here require inputs and efforts of multiple parties.

MaryFerreiraLONDONN (Dec 12, 2007 1:37:05 PM)
Hello Aldo. Our students are covered in terms of working in the UK for their internships between years 1 and 2 of the MBA. I am not sure of the exact legislation in terms of non-EU students working in the EU during the internship and if firms need to obtain temporary work permits on their behalf. If you post your email address then we will follow up with you on that question early next week. Our Career Services colleagues will be able to give us the most accurate and up to date information. All I do know, is that I know several second year students who are not from the EU and who worked in continental Europe during the summer.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:37:16 PM)
Chawdley - Hi, yes, we do have a reputation as a finance school largely because we also offer the MiF programme, have a very strong faculty and are based in a financial capital where lots of finance jobs are on offer. But if you look at our elective portfolio you'll see that there is a concentration in Change Management, and some fabulous gurus like Lynda Gratton.

BT (Dec 12, 2007 1:37:34 PM)
Emma: Hi, I wanted to know how companies (top consulting firms and inv-banks) look at a 15-month LBS degree, 12-month INSEAD degree and a 24-month Harvard degree. I am sure they're all top schools. But does the length matter? If not, what is the rationale?

sandro (Dec 12, 2007 1:38:31 PM)
Tamsin: What are the scholarships opportunities for Americans at LBS. In other words, how can you obtain one if you are from the U.S.?

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:38:54 PM)
Linda: I am a student ambassador for the school...I work closely with the program office to help prospective students get a better understanding of the school and the program. I'm also an active member of the finance, private equity and energy club...and attend career events such as corporate presentations ......time management can be an issue but it helps to prioritize...a lot of time is spent getting to know my peers...there are really brilliant students in my class....so I try to prioritize my activities and take it from there.

Max_2010 (Dec 12, 2007 1:39:04 PM)
Students: In case one chooses to concentrate, is it feasible to pursue more than one concentration at LBS? Also, what electives are included in the PE concentration?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:39:20 PM)
BT - Hi, as you may know, our MBA is based around flexibility, so you can choose to complete in 15, 18 or 21 months. As to how recruiters view the three schools - I don't really think length matters. All the top companies recruit from all three schools, so at the end of the day they will be looking for caliber of the individual, rather than the length of the programme.

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:39:29 PM)
Vish, The Admissions Committee are of course aware that this may be the case for some applicants. Either options you give would be suitable. You should select the person who is familiar with your work and able to comment on this in some detail. If they are able to speak about any progression and development, this would also be helpful. It would be worth looking at the questions, if you have not already done so, to see who you think would be most suitable to answer them.

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:39:51 PM)
Lauraumn: Many of the students in our class did not come with a finance background - there are core classes that are quantitative. However, I think the professors are very good at balancing the class so that those with no background can pick it up. However, those with non finance background obviously must work harder (i.e., many of them attend the non-mandatory tutorials, meet up with professors) -- for me, I also relied upon my study group to work through projects or study.

cdeneo (Dec 12, 2007 1:40:03 PM)
Emma: How does applying in round 3 compare to round 2? Are fewer spots left to fill in round 3 vs round 2?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:40:15 PM)
AB, I believe my colleague Emma Bond has already responded to similar queries. Please do refer to her responses earlier on in the chat.

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 1:40:23 PM)
Tamsin: Speaking of other languages... I only speak English. I know some people come into the LBS MBA program with no proficiency and take classes throughout their first year and pass the proficiency exam without huge issues. How common is it to have students with no language other than their native? How hard is the proficiency exam? Is not having a language a disadvantage as I'm considered as a candidate for LBS?

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:41:10 PM)
Entrepreneur: I'm afraid I do not know the exact stats but the percentage is high. Some schools are more competitive than others and this differs year on year. The process is that students are invited to apply (they must write a short essay on why they wish to attend that exchange school), and the essays are marked by a panel of programme office staff and second year students. The process is anonymous and grades are not considered when making any decision.

Pankaj (Dec 12, 2007 1:41:14 PM)
Students: What schools did you apply to when you were an applicant? Why did you choose LBS over others as an applicant?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:41:16 PM)
Cdeneo - Hi, see my earlier answers re applying in the different rounds. The overall response is that the earlier the better, there are spots in all rounds, but it gets progressively more full the later you leave it.

LBSMBA (Dec 12, 2007 1:41:33 PM)
Emma: Could you please provide rough estimate of the number of students that are from the US? How easy is it to get a job in USA from campus recruitment? Are there companies hiring for the US?

Taha (Dec 12, 2007 1:42:01 PM)
Graeme: My question is regarding interviews, if the alum is not in my country of residence would I have to travel for the interview?

MaryFerreiraLONDONN (Dec 12, 2007 1:42:11 PM)
Hello Lauraumn - I can see that you are super prepared with your questions for this chat. Are you about to submit an MBA application in Round 2?! The weekly average earnings for the internships for the MBA2008 class were US$2,000. In terms of projects there is quite a wide range as many students undertake projects with Not For Profits and so ask for minimal payment or they waive payment, whilst other students earn considerable income. The average for 2nd year project earnings was US$6,800.

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 1:42:33 PM)
Mary: Is there a way for me to contact alumni or an alumni association in my city/state/country? I'd like to talk to people about why they chose LBS and get their opinions. How would I go about doing this - is there a website? Or do I contact the LBS office?

streich (Dec 12, 2007 1:42:51 PM)
Students: Do most courses require some type of group presentation? [useful skill to develop]

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:43:05 PM)
Pankaj: I applied only to London Business School, Harvard and Stanford. For me, my desire to pursue an international career made London Business School an obvious choice for me.

Aldo L (Dec 12, 2007 1:43:28 PM)
Kitty, Megh - So far, what is it that you don't find as expected about London and LBS? Any improvements that you'd like to see?

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:43:36 PM)
Pankaj: I applied to Wharton and London Business School in the first round. I had also considered NYU and Columbia but had deferred applications for later rounds. I chose London business school for its strength in finance, its brilliant faculty and students (I had met many when I was working in London), its strong career service team and the fact that it is in London.

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:44:13 PM)
Streich: Yes. There is often oral presentations, class discussions and many communication classes that target developing presentation skills and personal presence as well as interviewing.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:45:17 PM)
LBSMBA - Hi, there are about 23% of students from the USA and Canada, but a lot of these have dual nationality. And yes, our brand continues to gain strength in the US so more and more students are returning there to work following their degree in London. Employers are beginning to recognize the value of recruiting people back to the US who have had an international MBA experience, and that combined with the excellence of our programme and the caliber of people we recruit makes our students excellent prospects for US employers.

Gundeep (Dec 12, 2007 1:45:21 PM)
Thanks Emma. Can you please tell if the EMBA can be done while doing a non-management related job in parallel. Are there any course projects, internships etc. which are job specific, and hence may require changing my nature of the job to be managerial?

Pankaj (Dec 12, 2007 1:46:07 PM)
Hola from New York! Students: What is 'one' key aspect that sets LBS apart?

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:46:36 PM)
Taha: We attempt to match candidates with alumni interviewers in their home country wherever possible. Last year we conducted interviews in over 50 countries and with alumni based in over 100 countries it normally isn't a problem. Where are you based?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:46:58 PM)
Gundeep - Hi, I'm afraid I'm not an expert on the EMBA programme, so I'd prefer to put you in touch with someone in the EMBA admissions team. Try emailing Balbir Guru (bguru@london.edu) to get your questions answered - she'll be very happy to help.

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 1:47:12 PM)
Graeme: I'm concerned about getting a letter of recommendation within my company -- I'm in a sales organization and no one with whom I work on a regular basis has their MBA, and people generally have a "why would you need your MBA? It's not necessary" attitude. How would you advise I handle this?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:47:19 PM)
Sandro, The majority of our scholarships are open to all nationalities although we do have some that focus on certain nationalities. For example last year saw the launch of 2 Summer Consulting Team Scholarships and this year we have a new CSR scholarship from Style Research for £20,000. We have 2 Annual Fund scholarships for students from USA/Canada for £12,000 each. Around 25% of our incoming class receive some form of scholarship from us each year. You can view further information on our corporate, alumni, foundation and club scholarships on our website: http://www.london.edu/mba/feesandfinancing/scholarships.html

BT (Dec 12, 2007 1:47:25 PM)
Tamsin: Hi, I wanted to know if LBS will only look at the highest GMAT score that you received or you will take an average of multiple scores?

streich (Dec 12, 2007 1:47:45 PM)
Emma: Do you see much interest from Chinese companies in your graduates?

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:48:03 PM)
Aldo: I was (pleasantly) surprised by how down-to-earth yet driven the student body was. I am finding I am amongst a group of peers whom I am not only good friends with but respect professionally.

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:49:03 PM)
Aldo L: I have been in London for the last two years prior to the MBA. ...I love London as it is a great city to live in...however it is an expensive city to live in...given that London Business School is in the heart of London campus space can be an issue.

MaryFerreiraLONDONN (Dec 12, 2007 1:49:53 PM)
Hello Lauraumn. We put people in touch with current MBA students as a first step. If you tell me where you are based then I can start you off with the name and email of my colleague who will be able to start you off. By the way, candidates to the MBA programme who are successful in having their MBA application shortlisted through to the interview stage are interviewed by an MBA alumnus or alumna. This is great way to meet someone who knows the MBA programme first hand as the interview is also an opportunity for you, the candidate to ask more questions about the school.

MBA2008 (Dec 12, 2007 1:50:11 PM)
Hello Mary: What is considered a weak GMAT score? Secondly, if my GMAT is weak and the rest of the portfolio is great would you ask me to re-take the exam and offer conditional admission? Thanks.

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:50:38 PM)
Pankaj: I think the diversity sets us apart. For me personally, I also am really happy by how flexible the academic curriculum is and how much the school, faculty and staff continues to look for opportunities to improve by asking and incorporating student feedback on a regular basis.

Aldo L (Dec 12, 2007 1:50:38 PM)
Thank you Tamsin.

sandro (Dec 12, 2007 1:51:20 PM)
Emma: What if you decided to pursue a career in Europe rather than your home country after graduation? How does LBS help you establish?

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:51:24 PM)
Lauramn: If you can't ask for a reference from your current employer you could try a former employer; a client or peer.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:51:30 PM)
Streich - Hi, China is obviously a growth region - our business development associates in Career Services are currently working with our Asia Club in organising a Banking Trek to increase our presence. Recent companies that have been recruiting for positions in China and HK include TimeWarner, GSK and Intel, and it looks likely that more opportunities will continue to arise.

Amit (Dec 12, 2007 1:51:55 PM)
Graeme: Would LBS be a good option for technology transfer experience?

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:52:53 PM)
Amit: Can you elaborate? Do you mean for making a transition from technology to another industry?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:52:59 PM)
Lauraumn, this would not be a disadvantage for you applying to the programme. We take a holistic approach to applications looking at every part of your profile. And of course the purpose of the MBA is to fill in any gaps that you have. As a result not only will you benefit from the language tuition as part of the course but you get the opportunities to speak to practice your languages with fellow class mates, travel and go on exchange.

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:53:00 PM)
Pankaj: To add to Kitty's response: Location, London : Strong Financial Centre, gateway to Middle East, Asia and Africa as well as close proximity to US.

vish (Dec 12, 2007 1:53:09 PM)
Tamsin: If there is a candidate who has strong community service is he at a better place than one with minimal?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:53:41 PM)
Sandro - Hi, our graduates take up positions all around the world, although many are in London by virtue of the number of multinationals based here. If there is a particular country in Europe you are interested in our Careers team will work with you to help you establish networks and reach out to alumni who may be based there.

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 1:53:50 PM)
Tamsin: How did London’s R1 application volume this year compare to last year’s?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:54:29 PM)
BT, We will consider your highest GMAT score and do not take an average. To avoid taking multiple times, we would recommend familiarising yourself with the practice tests first.

MaryFerreiraLONDONN (Dec 12, 2007 1:54:42 PM)
Hello MBA2008. As you will see on the MBA pages of the London Business School website (www.london.edu) the GMAT is one element of the application package. Our GMAT range starts from 600 on the MBA. The average for the first year MBA class is 690. We would look at the GMAT split in the context of the rest of your MBA application. If the score was poor but we thought you had potential then it might be that your application is given a waitlist offer and that you are asked to retake the GMAT. The most constructive advice would be to submit the strongest overall application package that you can. So, if you are very concerned with your GMAT score, I would spend more time following the different practice routes and retake the test before your submit your MBA application. We have 4 MBA application stages and the last application deadline is on 2 May so you still have plenty of time to prepare. Many candidates take the GMAT at least a couple of times - the latter is not at all unusual.

Leo (Dec 12, 2007 1:55:07 PM)
Mary: Is there a LBS alumni club in India with whom one can get in touch with?

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:55:49 PM)
All: As a student, just to give you a flavor of my experience at London Business School so far - I have been exposed to so many new experiences and have made new friends from all over the world. Right now, some of my closest friends are from my study group (which includes people from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Argentina, Denmark and Egypt). At the same time, having London Business School as part of my network, I have been in touch with many former alumni in all the top brand companies and I have even been working with some former alumni whom are now entrepreneurs to help them write a business plan for a new concepts they want to launch in London this year.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:56:16 PM)
Applying2010 - Hi, decisions are due out on December 19, so keep an eye on your email inbox! We do try and call applicants when we can, but due to the fact that our applicant pool is based literally all around the world, we cover our bases and make sure everyone gets an email.

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:56:34 PM)
Cdeneo: There's not a great deal of difference between your chances in Stage 1, 2 or 3. We do advise candidates to try and avoid Stage 4 if possible as this is where there are fewer places available, although we do reserve places for Stage 4. It very much depends upon the quality of the candidates that come through in each of the stages, which is impossible to predict.

Pankaj (Dec 12, 2007 1:56:54 PM)
Emma: How do you look at international transcripts? I do not have a GPA but rather a flat grade.

Abhinav (Dec 12, 2007 1:57:13 PM)
Graeme: I had reported my GMAT score three years back when I took my GMAT. Do I have to report it again as a part of my application?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:57:52 PM)
Pankaj - Hi, because our class is almost all international we are used to assessing transcripts from all over the world. There shouldn't be any problem with yours, but don't worry, if we have any questions we will be in touch.

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 1:58:46 PM)
There are several questions from applicants seeking to contact alumni in their country or city. What should they do in order to be put in contact with local alumni if that is possible?

Luis Banson (Dec 12, 2007 1:59:15 PM)
Students: Please describe your campus life. Is the LBS experience a pleasant one? Socially, what can LBS offer its student body?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:59:38 PM)
Vish, we will consider this in balance with your other experience. Students applying from different countries do have varying levels of community service as part of their profile, although most are involved in activities outside their work environment. This is important as students are expected to get involved within the London Business School Community. As you may be aware we have a number of very active and influential clubs on campus. In terms of whether this would be an advantage to your application, it may be an opportunity for you to demonstrate a time you have stepped up and taken the lead in an event or project. So overall it could well compliment the opportunities in your work experience.

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 1:59:41 PM)
Abhinav: We accept scores up to 5 years old, so we will just use the score that you provided 3 years ago. There is no need to report this again.

MBA2008 (Dec 12, 2007 2:00:27 PM)
Hi Graeme, I know the average GMAT is 690, what is the GMAT range?

vin (Dec 12, 2007 2:00:45 PM)
Tamsin: Apologies, if you already answered this. But can you tell us when the admit calls/emails start going out for Round 1 (earlier than 19th)?

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 2:01:10 PM)
I guess Mary answered Graeme's question. I'll get you another one.

Pankaj (Dec 12, 2007 2:01:28 PM)
Graeme: Does it matter if you apply early in Round 2 like right now as against a day before the deadline?

Zaki (Dec 12, 2007 2:02:02 PM)
Emma: My work history has been strictly oil and gas, specifically in Financial Analyst roles. I am interested in pursuing my MBA in International Business. How is LBS's IB program and how is it viewed from a global scale?

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 2:02:15 PM)
Mary: How important are extracurricular events on your resume in your application? I know when applying for undergrad, that was something they valued. Does LBS / MBA value if you have activities outside of your job? How much weight is placed on this type of activity?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:02:25 PM)
Linda - Hi, in the first instance, applicants should send a request to our Info Office email (mbainfo@london.edu) who will then put them in contact with their regional admissions officer. I should point out that we recommend people try and attend an event or a class if possible before getting in touch with alumni.

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:02:32 PM)
Linda, as Emma mentioned we have seen a substantial increase in Stage 1 applications compared to last year, although this is typically one of our smaller stages for application numbers. It will of course be difficult to see what the overall trend will be until much later on in the admissions year.

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:03:18 PM)
Vin, All decision will go out on the 19th

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:03:45 PM)
Pankaj: There's no advantage to applying way ahead of the deadline, although I would advise submitting earlier than the final day because the server can get very busy in everyone's rush to submit just before the deadline!

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:03:54 PM)
Zaki - Hi, we are seeing more people come in from Oil and Gas, as well as people moving into this industry during their MBA. We have a concentration in International Business, but I think the thing that differentiates us from other schools is the learning from an extremely international peer group and faculty body.

Taha (Dec 12, 2007 2:04:00 PM)
Tamsin: Regarding the timing of application, do I miss out on most of the scholarships if I apply in round 3?

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:04:07 PM)
MBA2008: The current GMAT range is 600-800.

jon (Dec 12, 2007 2:04:11 PM)
Megh - what kind of activities is the energy club at LBS active in?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:04:27 PM)
Aldo - Hi, Round 1 offers have not been made yet, and we have no idea of numbers for Round 2 or 3 until after those application deadlines.

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:04:33 PM)
Luis: It has been an exciting term. There are two brilliant events held in the first term. Tattoo is the international event where we have students from different parts of the world showcase their culture. Then we have Santa Pub Crawl...imagine this- 400 Santas on the roads of London celebrating Christmas...these are two of the main events...we also have Sundowners...a weekly Thursday event (read: free drinks) sponsored by some of the top global companies...besides these there are many other social events such as wine and cheese events, salsa, classical music events and sporting events such as football and rugby....I have enjoyed the campus experience this term...first of all it was great to meet so many diverse students (I met someone from Belarus for the first time in my life!!!), then it was getting to know them mostly in our next door pub....Windsor..there are so many more events to come....MBAT, winter and summer ball, summer play..the list goes on.

wondering (Dec 12, 2007 2:04:52 PM)
Hi Emma: LBS in known for its finance , but I was wondering if you could comment on creatives that you have admitted in recent years? What percentage of the class has come from marketing/design/creative backgrounds in the past couple of years?

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 2:05:48 PM)
Students: What % of LBS students are married? I've been looking for that statistic in materials / website but don't know if you publish that or keep track of it.

streich (Dec 12, 2007 2:06:31 PM)
Tamsin: Regarding languages... If I was interested in Mandarin, would the language test be only spoken, or written as well?

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:07:18 PM)
Lauraumn: Many students are married or have serious partners. The Partner Club is extremely active (many of them also participate in our student social events). Many spouses are also able to find employment and have the right to work here in London.

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:07:21 PM)
Jon: The Energy club organized an energy conference a few weeks back...it attracted some of the top researchers, policy makers, politicians, business leaders in the energy sector. It has also invited companies to come down onto campus and host events......the club has also worked with career services to produce a cv book purely for energy...there is a strong relationship between the club and the industry.

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 2:08:35 PM)
For those of you interested in contacting current LBS students from your native countries, please go to http://www.london.edu/mba/contact.html and call or email . The school will put you in touch with someone that matches your interests.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:08:43 PM)
Wondering - Hi, yes, we're known for finance but we have a huge variety of backgrounds in our class - law, medicine, the armed forces...and certainly some creative types! Over the years we've had an opera singer, a TV soapstar, and a theatre director or two. The majority of the intake is still from more traditional backgrounds, but to help give you some idea - in our first year class 4% come from a marketing/publishing/media background, with 3% from the public sector. Then of course there are other niche areas like Energy, FMCG/Retail, and Healthcare/Pharma.

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:09:07 PM)
Streich: I'm learning Mandarin at the moment.....level 1 is over two terms and you are expected to write in Mandarin, recognise the characters as well as speak in the language....

Amit (Dec 12, 2007 2:09:16 PM)
Emma: Can someone elaborate on "international experience"?

Pankaj (Dec 12, 2007 2:09:43 PM)
Graeme: How do you look at a layoff on the resume? I was working in the fixed-income/mortgage banks for an i-bank and lost my job recently due to the crisis in the US mortgage market.

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:10:11 PM)
Alfirst, It would be impossible to recommend you for either programme purely based on your age. We are looking at your relevant work experience and also fit. It is important for you that you select the best programme for your needs. Whilst the programmes have similar offerings, there are some major difference in format, e.g. internship and exchange options. When speaking to Sloan candidates for example they told me that one of the things they really valued was being able to study with like minded people - professionals who had reached a similar stage in their career and were looking for the next step.

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:10:25 PM)
Brian: We don't record a class average GPA as so many of our students come from countries with non-GPA reporting. However, to give you an idea of what the admissions committee are looking for, if a candidate has a GPA of 3.2 or below, they will be looking more closely at the GMAT score and perhaps other postgrad/professional qualifications.

Taha (Dec 12, 2007 2:10:52 PM)
Students: Finally the question I've been wanting to ask... Does LBS have a Cricket team?

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:11:39 PM)
Pankaj: I too was laid off when I first started my career with Arthur Andersen (post Enron)...it is definitely not an issue...important thing (thats what I did) was to explain how I handled the layoff and the positives from it.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:11:42 PM)
Amit - Hi, international experience can mean any number of things - you could have worked abroad, worked with international clients, spent some of your education overseas, or traveled extensively in your personal time. Above all, we are looking for people with a global outlook, who will fit into our very multicultural campus, and who show ambition to become true global citizens in the future.

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:11:46 PM)
Taha: Yes, there is cricket team. As London Business School, we also have access to play down at Lord's Cricket Grounds.

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:11:54 PM)
Taha: Yes :)

Rose (Dec 12, 2007 2:11:58 PM)
Emma: What opportunities exist for someone interested in an eventual move to the nonprofit sector? Are there classes or activities with a focus on nonprofit or corporate social responsibility?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:12:55 PM)
Taha, no. As long as you apply and are offered in Stages 1, 2 or 3 you will be able to access our full scholarship portfolio. Applicants applying in Stage 4 will not be able to apply for our awards as the deadlines will have passed.

lauraumn (Dec 12, 2007 2:13:12 PM)
Tamsin: How important is visiting campus prior to applying / beginning school? Is making a campus visit weighed in as an advantage in my application packet?

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 2:14:06 PM)
Students: If you had to point to one “take-away” lesson or benefit from your time or part at London Business School, what would it be?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:14:11 PM)
Rose - Hi, every year we have a number of students who move into the nonprofit sector (more who move a few years out when they have paid back some of their loans!) There are a number of electives on campus, and the Responsible Business Club has a strong presence. In addition, we are seeing a number of donors beginning to focus awards in this area so keep your eyes on our scholarship pages.

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:14:12 PM)
Jon: The Energy Club also have a very good website you can checkout at http://www.londonenergyclub.org.uk/

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:14:25 PM)
Aldo, whilst we will review your application with the information you submit by the deadline, if you are retaking, please do update us with your unofficial scores as soon as you take the test.

MaryFerreiraLONDONN (Dec 12, 2007 2:14:43 PM)
Lauramn- as mentioned before, we will consider the entire application package at the MBA review stage, so it is quite a holistic view across work, aspirations, extra curricular activity etc. Yes, we are interested in people's extra curricular experiences and interests but we also realise that this can vary widely across cultures and geographies. Therefore, I think it is helpful to include extra curricular activities in which you are really interested . It often helps to think of the MBA application as your opportunity to tell us your story. It is also important to be honest so don't be afraid about noting down things that might not have gone so smoothly. I expect that Megh and Kitty would be happy to tell you about some of the student clubs with which they have managed to be involved during their first, pretty intense term on the MBA programme. In addition our student blog is a great way to see some of the "outside" London Business School events that are lined up from sailing in Thailand to getting involved...

Leo (Dec 12, 2007 2:16:23 PM)
Graeme: Is prior work experience in the UK considered an advantage while applying to LBS?

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:16:26 PM)
Linda: My key takeaway would be that there is always going to be more things you want to do than you have time for - academically, in extracurriculars and socially. Therefore, learn to prioritize what is most important to you.

streich (Dec 12, 2007 2:16:51 PM)
Students: Are there many functions that include spouses in the activities?

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:17:16 PM)
Sam - Hi, we continue to see strong numbers going into consulting, and some of these are in the US (often New York). However, a lot of graduates choose to stay here for a couple of years before moving to the US simply because they are enjoying life in London - a case in point I know of from MBA 2005 is someone who started working for McKinsey in London but has since moved to Boston.

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:17:22 PM)
Lauramn: With regard to visiting campus, it's not essential and we don't count it in an applicants favour. However we would recommend anyone that can to visit so you can get a feel for the place and the culture, which will often make the difference. Admits get the chance to visit during the Admits weekend at the beginning of June.

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:17:23 PM)
Linda: Perspectives: I have learned so much from my fellow peer's experiences.

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:17:38 PM)
Streich: Yes all spouses are invited to our events (Tattoo, Santa pub crawl, etc.). They are definitely part of our community.

cmg912 (Dec 12, 2007 2:19:08 PM)
Emma: Would you say there's a "wrong" response to the optional essay? Should it be less of a creative/descriptive piece, and more of an expansion on explaining any additional skill sets?

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 2:19:27 PM)
Tamsin, Emma, and Graeme: Do you believe applicants should “clean up” their Facebook and MySpace pages before applying to b-school?  Before starting their job searches?

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:19:57 PM)
Samuel: It depends. To waive the English testing requirement you need to have studied at least a 2 year programme. There are several caveats however. As this is quite detailed I would advise checking out our website at http://www.london.edu/index.html#7_English_tests

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 2:20:36 PM)
Do you ever check student Facebook or MySpace pages?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:21:09 PM)
Hello Rodrigo, The MBA class is made up of candidates from many different professional backgrounds. This is what makes the class room and learning experience so unique. We would be looking at how you are going to move into your post MBA goals based on your work experience and so you would need to demonstrate how you have thought this through, especially if it is a big career switch. The class is very collaborative so it is likely you would find candidates who do not have such technical skills and would be keen to have you help in this area. Also, I would recommend highlighting any areas outside your work field that would show other dimensions to your experience and skills.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:21:44 PM)
cmg912 - Hi, there is no wrong response to this optional question, but you should think carefully about what impression this additional piece will have on the admissions committee. You should use it for useful information that you think will add value to your application, not just take up extra time to read!

MaryFerreiraLONDONN (Dec 12, 2007 2:21:56 PM)
Hello Thapar. If you were not selected but invited to reapply then that would have been an indication from London Business School that we think you could, potentially, be a London Business School MBA student in the future. As I know you will be aware, we are rigorous in terms of MBA admissions and it is a competitive process! However, we do have people who have reapplied who are now London Business School students. You should submit a brand new MBA application as this will be considered in the context of this year's applicant pool. You can ask for your university transcript and for your GMAT score to be transferred. Otherwise, I would start from scratch and ensure that you include the new information that you referred to. It will also be helpful for you to supply references that are up to date.

Pankaj (Dec 12, 2007 2:23:33 PM)
Mary: How do you look at candidates with a Master's already? I have a BS and MS in ComSci. Does it act as a deterrent?

sandro (Dec 12, 2007 2:24:45 PM)

MaryFerreiraLONDONN (Dec 12, 2007 2:25:22 PM)
Linda We don't look at Facebook as we don't use those social sites in relation to our admissions. We would probably be working 24/7 if we got sucked into the networking sites! We only consider the information that we ask for that is posted in the application/admissions side of the London Business School website.

Taha (Dec 12, 2007 2:25:37 PM)
Mary: When accepted does LBS support me in obtaining a HSMP visa?

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:25:39 PM)
NR: There is no limit but each leadership position involves significant investment of time.  For example if you are in finance club, you would be working closely with company representatives for campus events, off-campus events etc...you would also work to organize mock interviews for students...among many other activities.  All of this takes a lot of time; it is suggested to be focused on one club for leadership positions but you can always be an active participant in others....Given how hectic our schedule has been it is important to prioritize.

TW (Dec 12, 2007 2:25:46 PM)
Emma: I am interested in entering the energy industry after graduation. What current clubs, internships and other opportunities are there for people interested in this field?

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:25:58 PM)
Samuel: One benefit of being a graduate of Kings College is that you qualify for an application fee waiver (£145). This applies to all graduates of our partner institutions the University of London, Columbia Uni, and University of Hong Kong.

Max_2010 (Dec 12, 2007 2:26:07 PM)
Tamsin: How imp.ortant is it to adhere to word limits in admissions essays? LBS is the only school I have come across that asks applicants to report the word count

Sergio_NL (Dec 12, 2007 2:26:21 PM)
Graeme: Regarding scholarships offered by LBS to certain applicants, is this notified at the same time the candidate is accepted or does it happen at a later stage? Thanks.

jon (Dec 12, 2007 2:27:05 PM)
Megh, thanks for the answer - I think that covered everything.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:28:21 PM)
TW - Hi, we are seeing more people moving into the energy sector and an increase in the number of students interning in this sector. Recent employers include Shell, BP and Investec - the BP Helios programme is big for summer internships at the moment. We also have an active Energy Club on campus (see Megh's previous post).

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:28:24 PM)
Taha: With regard to HSMP, students get the benefit of advice and the expertise of the School's lawyers in terms of HSMP briefings prior to the job search. The eventual application is the responsibility of the individual.

Conns (Dec 12, 2007 2:28:37 PM)
Emma: Hi! My future husband and I are a Mexican couple that is working very hard to prepare the the LBS application to enter in the same generation (2008 or 2009). We are worried because to need two acceptances is the double of difficult. Should we be worried about it? To be a couple that wants to study at LBS together is more an advantage? Disadvantage? Or maybe it is not important. Is there anything we should know before the application? Thanks!

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:28:37 PM)
Pankaj, some students joining us do already have masters, whilst it is not a deterrent, we take into consideration the relevance of your Masters in combination with the relevant work experience you have.

Pankaj (Dec 12, 2007 2:28:46 PM)
Emma, Graeme, Tamsin, Megh, Students: All of you have been wonderful. Thanks for all the responses.

jon (Dec 12, 2007 2:28:56 PM)
Thanks Graeme.

MBA2008 (Dec 12, 2007 2:29:20 PM)
Tamsin: Are early academic failures (First Yr undergrad) a huge discouragement, even if you graduated your final year with excellent academic standing and have since had great professional success?

Max_2010 (Dec 12, 2007 2:29:39 PM)
Mary: It appears that as an LBS reapplicant you come in with a negative baggage. That is no matter how good an application you put together, you are at a disadvantage to first-time applicants. Is this a fair assessment?

Perpetuum_Mobile (Dec 12, 2007 2:29:47 PM)
Thanks guys, valuable info.

Taha (Dec 12, 2007 2:29:50 PM)
Thanks Graeme.

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:30:32 PM)
Sergio_NL: A small number of scholarships are awarded at the time of offer. The majority are available for the admits to apply for in May. This is why it is important to apply in stage 1-3 if you wish to go for these awards.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:30:52 PM)
Conns - Hi, there is no real disadvantage or advantage to applying as a couple, and we have had couples accepted before. However, it does help if you advise us when you submit your application that you are applying together and I certainly advise thinking about financing early - if the two of you are successful it is obviously an additional strain on funding.

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 2:31:03 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Tamsin, Emma, Graeme, Mary, MBA 2009, and Megh for answering all these questions.

Upcoming chats:

• Notre Dame Jan. 9, 2008 
  • Emory Jan. 14, 2008 
  • UCLA Jan. 24, 2008

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:31:20 PM)
Max_2010, it is important to adhere to the word limits that have been set. The ability to summarize your answers to the given question is an important skill and something that we will be looking at as we are reviewing your application. It is also fair to all candidates to be given the same amount of space and words to convince the admissions team.

MaryFerreiraLONDONN (Dec 12, 2007 2:31:28 PM)
Hello Taha. We have a large Career Services team at London Business School. They run a whole programme of coaching and briefings for students. This includes briefings about the right to work in different parts of the world depending on where our students come from. The briefings also include information on how - and when to apply for the HSMP. In addition we have links with a couple of the leading law firms in the country and the MBA students are eligible for an initial free consultation if they require it.

noam (Dec 12, 2007 2:31:35 PM)
Regarding the word limit for essays - is it acceptable to exceed the required limit by a little?

buddy (Dec 12, 2007 2:31:58 PM)
Very interesting questions and answers.

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:32:05 PM)
Thank you Linda, goodbye.

EmmaBondLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:32:10 PM)
Thanks Linda - good luck with your applications, everybody.

cmg912 (Dec 12, 2007 2:32:34 PM)
Thanks Emma!

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:32:34 PM)
Noam: Yes, we give a little allowance in the word limit.

Sergio_NL (Dec 12, 2007 2:32:38 PM)
Thank you very much to all of you for the information. A very informative session.

KittyLeeLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:32:39 PM)
Good luck!

MeghKamathLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:32:52 PM)
Thanks Linda and the rest. good luck everyone.

GraemeHarperLONDON (Dec 12, 2007 2:32:54 PM)
Thanks everyone!

Linda Abraham (Dec 12, 2007 2:34:11 PM)
For those of you who still have questions, we will probably organize an additional London Business School chat in late January or early February.

Hornblower (Dec 12, 2007 2:34:39 PM)
Ok great. The earlier the better.

MaryFerreiraLONDONN (Dec 12, 2007 2:34:45 PM)
Thanks to everyone for taking part. We'll have the transcript posted on Accepted.com and on the London Business School website in a few weeks' time and we'll schedule another date for the first quarter of 2008 if people would find it helpful. Happy holidays to everyone who is scheduled to celebrate.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room