2008 Consortium MBA Admissions Chat with Jackie Olden

2008 Consortium MBA Admissions Chat with Jackie Olden

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Feb 5, 2008 7:59:25 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat.  First I want to welcome all applicants to the Consortium chat today to learn more about its program from the student perspective. You need to know as much as you can to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice. Being here today allows you to ask the Consortium experts about this outstanding program and their experience in business school.  I also want to welcome our special guests for this evening:

• Jackie M. Olden, Director of Recruiting

• Ricardo A. Alvarado, BSBA '05, MBA '09, JD '09 Dual Degree Graduate Student Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University School of Law, University of Pittsburgh
  • Bernie Traywick, Goizueta Business School at Emory University, MBA Class of 2008
  • April L. Taylor, Indiana University, Bloomington Class of 2008, Kelley School of Business
  • Liz Lopez-Diaz, Indiana University, Bloomington Class of 2008, Kelley School of Business
  • Brian A. Jones, NYU Stern School of Business, Class of 2008 
  • Ray Hernandez, Darden University of Virginia, Class of 2008
  • Andrea Burgess, Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California, Class of 2008
  • Shara Senior, Ross School of Business, University of Michigan, Class of 2008
  • Wendy Ortega Wheless, MBA Class of 2008, McCombs School of Business The University of Texas at Austin
  • Ammanuel Metta MBA, Class of 2008, McCombs School of Business The University of Texas at Austin
  • Robert Stewart, MBA 2008, Olin Business School Washington University
  • Felicia Austin, MBA 2008, Olin Business School Washington University
  • Felipe Izquierdo, MBA 2008, University of Wisconsin

Thanks to everyone for joining

Linda Abraham (Feb 5, 2008 8:01:53 PM)
I am going to post a few logistical details. As I do so, could the Consortium students please tell us a little about themselves? We would like to know: • What did you do before b-school? • What are you concentrating in and what extra-curricular activities are you involved in? • What do you want to do after your MBA?

Linda Abraham (Feb 5, 2008 8:03:19 PM)
This is your chance to ask questions about the Consortium and the guests’ schools as well as their experience at those schools. Please note that this chat is a chance for Consortium student members to chat with applicants and tell what its like as a Consortium member. You can also ask about the experience of transitioning back from income earning adult to (starving) student. Please post your questions.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:03:28 PM)
I worked in the Defense industry as a Systems Engineer for several years, bouncing between LA and Boston. I'm an Admissions Counselor at Kelley and I'm pursuing opportunities in HR and General Management.

WendyOrtegaWhelessTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:03:38 PM)
(This user is now known as WendyTEXAS)

Linda Abraham (Feb 5, 2008 8:04:39 PM)
They're typing away.

SharaSeniorROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:04:44 PM)
I was an engineer at Nissan for five years before school. I also had a real estate and property management business part time for three years. At Ross I am focusing on strategy and international business. For the next year, I will be writing a business plan to develop products and services for uninsured customers for Ascension Health, the largest Catholic hospital chain in the U.S. I plan to own my own social enterprise in the next few years.

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:05:18 PM)
How much did the fellowship play into your decision?

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:05:31 PM)
Hi Everyone! Before school I worked in television advertising sales for ABC. At school, I am focusing in marketing, and I am the former president of the Graduate Marketing Network, I'm on the McCombs Admissions Committee, and I'm a member of the Graduate Women in Business and the Sports, Entertainment and Media Association. After school I will be working in Sports Marketing for Miller Brewing Co. in Chicago. Glad to be here tonight!

Andy (Feb 5, 2008 8:05:45 PM)
Ms. Olden, I missed the application deadline--Jan 2008. Can I start applying now for the Sept intake?

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:05:51 PM)
It was a big part of my decision, bigd.

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:06:00 PM)
Before B-School I was a Sales Engineer for Rockwell Automation. My concentration is in Healthcare Management. During B-School I have been involved with the Healthcare Club, Finance Club, Consortium, and many recruiting events. I have also been a TA for IT & OPS class. I am interviewing with healthcare providers for a full time position now.

FelipeIzquierdoWISCONSIN (Feb 5, 2008 8:06:07 PM)
Before coming back for my MBA I worked in Infrastructure and Land Development as a Civil Engineer in Florida. I enjoy all water related activities….I’ll be going to work for Bank of America Corporate Real Estate Group in Charlotte, NC.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:06:07 PM)
The fellowship made a big difference!

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:06:17 PM)
Hi...Brian from NYU Stern here. I have a background in Finance. I worked at Deutsche Bank in Sales & Trading for 4 years before coming to Stern. I spent my summer at Merrill Lynch in their Global Markets Associate program. I'm headed back there to join their Credit Sales desk after graduation. At Stern my specializations are Finance and Financial Instruments and Markets.

SuperTuesday (Feb 5, 2008 8:06:21 PM)
Question for Brian-NYU Stern prides itself on a supportive culture, do you find that to be true? Did you participate in Stern's Diversity Interview Weekend, if so can you share your experience?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:06:25 PM)
Andy, the application for fall 09 will be available Sept 08.

MBA4me37 (Feb 5, 2008 8:06:31 PM)
Ray Hernandez---where else were you admitted?

SharaSeniorROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:06:40 PM)
As someone who knew I wanted to own my own business in the near future right after school, and wanted to do something very entrepreneurial (like join a start up) immediately after school, having the flexibility of not being burdened my MBA debt was very important.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:06:45 PM)
It was between Darden and McCombs.

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:06:53 PM)
Wrong choice. ;)

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:07:00 PM)
Just kidding Ray!

Linda Abraham (Feb 5, 2008 8:07:07 PM)
For second year students, did the Consortium help you obtain your internship or even your post-MBA job? If so, how?

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:07:33 PM)
Hi....that is absolutely true of Stern. Our community is our strength. The environment is very collegian and supportive. We work together both in and out of the classroom. That is the reason why I chose Stern.

SharaSeniorROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:08:26 PM)
Yes, I got one of my three internships at a Consortium company, Cargill. I first met them at OP. Even though I didn't interview with them then, I continued building the relationship with them at the National Black MBA conference, and got the job on campus.

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:08:41 PM)
To answer Linda's question, yes, the Consortium did help me obtain my internship, though indirectly...

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:08:47 PM)
I interned for a Consortium and I'll be heading to a sponsoring company, as well. I made the best contacts at OP and kept those. I interned with P&G and I'll be working for Eaton Corporation full-time in their Global Leadership Development Program, which I learned about at the roundtables at OP.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:08:55 PM)
I did not, but the Consortium prepared me for my on-grounds interviews. I did get an offer for a summer internship, but did not accept. However, I am still in touch with almost all the recruiters I met through the Consortium, which has been great.

Linda Abraham (Feb 5, 2008 8:08:55 PM)
Wendy, where are you interning?

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:08:58 PM)
I interviewed with several firms at OP before my first year, and was offered two internships.

cMoore (Feb 5, 2008 8:08:59 PM)
Outside of the fellowship opportunity, what additional benefits does being a Consortium member provide?

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:09:18 PM)
A great NETWORK!

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:09:32 PM)
I ended up interning at Miller Brewing Co, and my interview process was accelerated because of the offers I received from other companies at OP.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:09:33 PM)
It allows me to network with other MBA students at other schools. I feel comfortable contacting other CGSM students at members schools.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:09:54 PM)
SuperTuesday - I did attend the diversity weekend. It was during that weekend that I interviewed. I will be there for parts of this year's weekend as well. There were a lot of alumni and current students there. We had a dinner the night before interviews and there was a panel for interview prep. I met a lot of my current classmates at Stern's Diversity Weekend. It will be a great opportunity for you to meet us and for us to meet you!

mba2008 (Feb 5, 2008 8:10:33 PM)
What advice would you give us in preparation for returning to (a) the orientation program and (b) returning to school?

FelipeIzquierdoWISCONSIN (Feb 5, 2008 8:10:37 PM)
A great network of friends! Great contacts for internship and full time job opportunities.

SharaSeniorROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:10:42 PM)
Going to OP before school is a huge advantage. You have the opportunity to meet (and possibly interview) with many different companies. Once they come on campus, you have a leg up over everyone else. You come into school knowing tons of people already (at Ross we have 50 Consortium students per class)!

motorious (Feb 5, 2008 8:10:55 PM)
Question for SharaSeniorROSS: I have a particular interest in the auto industry, and I'm wondering if your proximity to the Big 3 at all enhances your ability as students to explore opportunities in that industry? Though that may not be the direction I take post mba, I am wondering if I should factor it into my decision should I be accepted there.

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:10:56 PM)
cMoore- At Emory once you get on campus you will have a core group of students that will help each other manage the demands of an MBA education.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:11:37 PM)
School can be overwhelming when you start. If this link still works, this talks about transitioning into the first year http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/sep2007/bs2007096_544524.htm

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:11:41 PM)
Definitely get some rest before starting school...It goes by fast!

SharaSeniorROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:11:55 PM)
Hi Motorious - of course if you want to end up at one of the big 3, the best place is here. Execs from those firms are on campus all the time.

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:11:57 PM)
For all: I am sure many of us have considered and reconsidered our school rankings. Any tips on how to deal with this other than beg and plead with the adcom that you really meant to rank them #1???

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:12:04 PM)
Hi MBA4me37. We get that question a lot. For me it was more about the people. Everyone that I met at Stern made me feel like they wanted me to be there as much as I wanted to be there. They reached out to me from day one and made me feel at home every time I came to campus. It was definitely the right fit for me. I do not regret it all. It has been a blast.

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:12:44 PM)
BigD, I know this sounds cliche, but seriously - go with what really feels like the best fit for you....Not where you think you will have the best chance of getting in because in the end, it will work itself out best for you to get a fellowship from the program you're most interested in.

SharaSeniorROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:13:40 PM)
(This user is now known as SharaROSS)

mike (Feb 5, 2008 8:14:09 PM)
Have any of you felt there is a stigma for Consortium applicants?

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:14:09 PM)
Wendy is correct, it has a lot to do with fit....not just rankings. If you fit well within a school, you will do much better. I know people who passed up the money and went with the school that was a better fit.

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:14:35 PM)
SharaRoss, Cargill is at the top of my list and I have been admitted to Ross...how do I get in contact with you?

Xavier (Feb 5, 2008 8:14:39 PM)
Brian Jones- Regarding living in New York, do most Stern students live on campus? Was it difficult finding housing?

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:14:47 PM)
MBA 2008 -The OP will be a great advantage for you. Make sure you research the companies you may be interested in so that you can have a good interview. It will give you a great head start in your search for an internship. You may have the internship before you start B-School which will make it easier for you to focus on school.

SharaROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:14:50 PM)
I think there can be some jealously when other students find out many of us got offers from the summer, but there isn't animosity I would say.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:14:56 PM)
It depends on how well the Consortium is integrated in the MBA program, Mike.

rd (Feb 5, 2008 8:14:56 PM)
Felipe- I'm a Civil Engineer also in Land Development in California. Any tips on how to transition from engineering into business? How can I sell my self with my Civil engineering background?

SuperTuesday (Feb 5, 2008 8:14:59 PM)
Thanks Brian, I appreciate your feedback.

FelipeIzquierdoWISCONSIN (Feb 5, 2008 8:15:00 PM)
Its all about fit, people, and placement! I think really going with what feels right is the way to go. Every school offers the right opportunity for the right candidate. It’s what you make of it once you're at the school.

Shara ROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:15:04 PM)
BigD - feel free to email me. ssenior@umich.edu

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:15:20 PM)
BigD...you have to be ready to go to your #6 school as you are to your #1 school. You never know where you may get in. This process is difficult to navigate. If a school is your #1, then you should have engaged them and visited and let them know that that is where you want to be. There is a lot of competition to get into all schools!

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:15:22 PM)
Take accounting beforehand, and read anything on business math.

Sade (Feb 5, 2008 8:15:45 PM)
If you're not offered a fellowship at one of your choice schools, does the Consortium disseminate your application to other schools within the Consortium (as a default)?

Godfrey Powell (Feb 5, 2008 8:16:03 PM)
I just received an invitation to interview at NYU during diversity weekend. What advice can you give me to excel at my interview?

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:16:15 PM)
Mike...not at all. I work in the Admissions office and Consortium apps. aren't reviewed any differently. Many of the students here have some type of financial assistance. Here at IU, we have more Dean's Fellows, than Consortium Fellows.

malvi (Feb 5, 2008 8:16:17 PM)
All: do consortium students meet periodically?

Natasha (Feb 5, 2008 8:16:37 PM)
I am wondering if there is anyone experiencing going to B-school while raising a child and the how you balance the challenge of this?

Shara ROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:16:43 PM)
Sade - not sure I completely understand, but if you rank Ross #2 and change your mind and decide to go there, sometimes Ross will offer you a fellowship anyways.

Ben (Feb 5, 2008 8:16:47 PM)
Ray Hernandez, I just received an admit from Darden and am very excited, but curious how the whole fellowship process will work out. I had ranked Darden #3, but I did not get into either my #1 or #2 schools. How was the process for you and what choices did you have going into April?

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:16:55 PM)
Wendy, where were you prior to the December deadline :)

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:16:56 PM)
I know a CGSM student, and he is always balancing everything, but he is doing well.  He is in my class and they had another while in school.

Yoli (Feb 5, 2008 8:16:59 PM)
SharaSeniorROSS - Any advice on the Ross interview?

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:17:02 PM)
I was in NYC before Stern, so I am still living in my old neighborhood. Most students do not live on campus and live in various areas of the city. It is easy to find a place in NYC. Stern has a housing office and many current students will list ad for roommates, etc. The on-campus housing is also an option. Its really close to campus and will come in handy on those late nights.

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:17:21 PM)
Aha, bigd - sorry to miss you before December :)

Shara ROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:17:29 PM)
Yoli - make sure you understand why Ross is different than other schools ex: action based learning.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:17:34 PM)
Sade - occasionally your application will be viewed by other schools. Let's talk in detail offline. Call me tomorrow.

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:17:47 PM)
Natasha - I had a baby girl during my second semester.

Andy (Feb 5, 2008 8:17:55 PM)
Brian, I plan to study finance, maybe at NYC, any advice for someone without a business background?

Sade (Feb 5, 2008 8:18:28 PM)

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:18:31 PM)
Jackie, why no Tuck reps ever at CGSM chats?

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:18:37 PM)
Bigd, you're welcome to reach out if you ended up applying to McCombs! wendy.wheless@mccombs.utexas.edu - the same goes for anyone.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:19:10 PM)
Hi Godfrey - Just be yourself! Make sure that Stern gets the complete picture of you that weekend. You will be there with all the other Consortium candidates. Know your story. Your interviewer will have read your file and may ask you questions about anything in your app.

motorious (Feb 5, 2008 8:19:18 PM)
BrianJonesNYU: Before applying to schools, my earliest work experience was in finance on Wall street. As far as you know, does NYU's proximity to the financial center of the world enhance one's ability to network and enter in that community?

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:19:24 PM)
Wendy, accepted at McCombs, got the call on Friday..3/3 so far.

Natasha (Feb 5, 2008 8:19:29 PM)
Congrats Bernie. How did that work out for you ? I have a 1 year old and I live in NYC. Emory was my 1st pick.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:19:37 PM)
Bigd- Tuck student reps had class tonight.

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:19:38 PM)
GREAT! Congrats! And surely, you ranked McCombs first :)

FelipeIzquierdoWISCONSIN (Feb 5, 2008 8:19:57 PM)
rxd- I think as an engineer you will have no problem with the quantitative material but most engineering programs( I went to University of Florida) do not do the best job giving you any exposure to business classes; marketing, etc. The program you attend should provide you with the tools necessary. I don’t think you should have any problem “selling yourself.” You just need to know where you were in your career and where you want to go. I transitioned from civil engineering to a real estate program so I believe it might have been a good sell. Each program will have a career center to help you with this.

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:20:03 PM)
Natasha - It has been very difficult for me to balance the requirements of being a new dad and school. Fortunately 2nd year has been easier for me and I realized I should not over commit. The best advice is to not commit to many things until you know how much time your school work and internship search will take.

Linda Abraham (Feb 5, 2008 8:20:31 PM)
All: What advice would you give applicants who want to prepare for the start of school? What should they do before matriculating?

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:20:37 PM)
Um...yes! ;)

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:21:04 PM)
Hi Andy...we have a core based curriculum. If you do not have a business background you will definitely pick it up in the core. You can also apply for a spot in our Summer Start program after you have been admitted. This will give you a heads up by allowing you to take courses over the summer (for credit) before you join the class in the fall!

Monica_Grisales (Feb 5, 2008 8:21:14 PM)
Brian - Are all Consortium applicants invited to interview at Stern?

Andy (Feb 5, 2008 8:21:39 PM)
Thanks Brian.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:21:44 PM)
Take financial accounting and statistics beforehand if you need a refresher. Darden offers pre-matriculation workshops the week before school starts.

Shara ROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:21:52 PM)
All - just to clarify. OP stand for the Orientation Program held in the summer. This is where you meet all the Consortium students for the first time. There is a big career fair and a lot of workshops. It's a big help to go through this before school starts.

Natasha (Feb 5, 2008 8:22:10 PM)
This whole process has taught me a lot about over-committing. Thanks Bernie.

FelipeIzquierdoWISCONSIN (Feb 5, 2008 8:22:15 PM)

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:22:16 PM)
Hi Motorius....Absolutely. That is another one our advantages. We are only a $2 subway ride away from many fortune 500 companies and Wall Street. Many students visit firms in between classes.

motorious (Feb 5, 2008 8:22:17 PM)
RicardoCMU: What really interested me when researching Tepper was the focus on an analytical approach to teaching. Was that a factor in your decision to go, and now that you are there, do you find that to be the case?

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:22:50 PM)
For all: Did any of the reps tonight receive a fellowship offer ranked 3rd or beyond?

Yoli (Feb 5, 2008 8:22:58 PM)
Shara - Do you mind if I follow the interview conversation over email? I am interviewing @ Ross next week.

Shara ROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:23:12 PM)
Yoli - no prob.

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:23:17 PM)
Bigd - I ranked Texas 1st.

Linda Abraham (Feb 5, 2008 8:23:23 PM)
Yoli, you can also find excellent interview feedback in Accepted's MBA Interview Feedback Database.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:23:24 PM)
Andy - for finance we have a relationship with all bulge bracket firms on Wall St and many of the boutiques. You will definitely have an opportunity to meet lots of firms!

Xavier (Feb 5, 2008 8:23:29 PM)
Brian Jones- May I have your contact information to chat offline sometime this week?

Xavier (Feb 5, 2008 8:23:33 PM)
Wendy- May I have your contact information to chat sometime this week in case I have other questions?

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:23:33 PM)
Bigd: No, but I only applied to 3 schools.

MBA Tron (Feb 5, 2008 8:23:38 PM)
Ray...Greetings...How has the Darden experience been for you as a non-traditional age student? I remember this info from Discover Darden...it was great to meet you there...

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:23:41 PM)
Same here, ranked UVa 1st (even coming from Houston).

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:23:52 PM)
Xavier - wendy.wheless@mccombs.utexas.edu

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:24:17 PM)
It has been an advantage to be honest, having a few more years of experience, but I have to workout more to keep up with them ;)  To be honest, no one has made a deal about the age difference...glad to see you on MBA Tron.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:24:29 PM)
Hi Monica...I remember you! Not all applicants are invited to the weekend. Some interviews happen outside of the Diversity Weekend.

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:24:46 PM)
Natasha- Great. Hope to see you down here in the Fall when I come back to visit as an alum. It is easy to get sucked into all kinds of activities which will pull you away from your family. I did manage to get Dean's list last semester so it is possible to do well with kids.

Linda Abraham (Feb 5, 2008 8:25:09 PM)
The USC rep has arrived so if you have specific interest in USC please post your questions.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:25:17 PM)
Hi Xavier...my email address is brian.jones@stern.nyu.edu. Please reach out to me.

Andy (Feb 5, 2008 8:25:24 PM)
Brian, what is the average size of your typical class at NYU?

SuperTuesday (Feb 5, 2008 8:25:26 PM)
Not sure if Andrea is present. Andrea-USC--Can you speak to your USC/Consortium experience?

MBA Tron (Feb 5, 2008 8:25:28 PM)
Ray...greetings...I had the opportunity to meet you at Discover Darden...how many current Consortium students does Darden currently have in both classes?

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:25:57 PM)
Bigd - fellowship from first choice (can't help).

Sade (Feb 5, 2008 8:26:08 PM)
I'm waiting on admissions decisions from Consortium schools, any advice on additional information to send in while waiting (i.e., letters of rec's, etc.)?

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:26:09 PM)
Sure, like many others it has been extraordinary. So many of us had such an advantage by having internships from the OP.

Yoli (Feb 5, 2008 8:26:17 PM)
Linda - Thank you, I have been looking at the DB it is VERY HELPFUL :)

Linda Abraham (Feb 5, 2008 8:26:29 PM)
You're welcome. Please add to it after you interview.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:26:31 PM)
We have 19 FY and 17 SY.

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:26:34 PM)
Gonna be a busy week Wendy!

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:26:44 PM)
Hi Andy...it depends on the class and the professor. My smallest class has been 15 and my larget has been 400! (The professor was a rock star). I would say the average in your 1st year is 60 or so. In the second year, the elective classes are a bit smaller.

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:26:47 PM)
Natasha- send me an email to bernie_traywick@bus.emory.edu. We can schedule a time to talk offline.

Yeny (Feb 5, 2008 8:26:55 PM)
JackieOlden, I was admitted to my school #3 and #4. I am still waiting to hear from school #1 and #2, but I was sent to the waitlist by school #4. They asked me if I was interested in staying on the waitlist. If I say: "no", would that hurt my possible Consortium acceptance with the other schools?

SuperTuesday (Feb 5, 2008 8:27:07 PM)
Brian NYU- another question about the NYU Diversity Interview. Is the interview conducted by alumni or students?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:27:09 PM)
ALL - many students receive internship offers but not all.

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:27:17 PM)
Great? tron...perhaps the other reps can respond respective to their school?

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:27:31 PM)
Hi ST - the interview will be conducted by alumni.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:27:36 PM)
Sade: I'd say wait until the first of March and if you haven't heard from your choices, then contact the schools. Admissions offices are pretty busy right now and if there's any additional info needed, you'll be contacted.

Simoon (Feb 5, 2008 8:27:52 PM)
All: Any advice for students specializing in entrepreneurship at b-school?

Andy (Feb 5, 2008 8:28:19 PM)
Jackie, I'm having a very hard time getting a recommendation letter from my supervisor.  Jackie, any suggestion?

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:28:27 PM)
Sade- I did not hear until the middle of February so you may want to hold on.

Yoli (Feb 5, 2008 8:28:34 PM)
BrianJonesNYU - Diversity Weekend is NOT the same as Discover Stern, right?

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:28:35 PM)
Simoon: I hope Kelley was your top choice, as we have the #1 Entrepreneurship program ;o)

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:28:43 PM)
Hi Simoon...my advice would be to look at if the school has a Business Plan competition where seed money is awarded.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:28:57 PM)
We have an excellent program, get to meet the professors outside of class, and have ideas. I am finding out that there are plenty of resources, especially with the resources in Washington DC/Northern Virginia.

Shara ROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:28:58 PM)
Simoon - go to a program with good entrepreneurial activities. Ex: at Ross, we have 3 student run venture funds, to give you experience on how to evaluate business plans. Also, we offer paid internships at start ups.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:29:04 PM)
Yeny - if you are on the waitlist, you will be considered for the fellowship at only the schools where you received a positive admission decision. Once a fellowship offer is made, schools #1 and #2 will be unable to offer you a fellowship...this year.

Yeny (Feb 5, 2008 8:29:08 PM)
Bernie, what is the percentage of applicants that get a full merit scholarship at Emory?

Natasha (Feb 5, 2008 8:29:15 PM)
I am definitely looking forward to being accepted to Emory and congrats on you dean's list ranking too!

SuperTuesday (Feb 5, 2008 8:29:18 PM)
Andrea USC - Aside from the Consortium interview, does USC require an additional interview as part of the application process?

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:29:27 PM)
Simoon - while in school, seek opportunities with local businesses with whom your school has relationships - local business oftentimes look to the well-ranked business school in town for help, talent etc.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:29:30 PM)
Hi Yoli...Discover Stern was in October and Stern Perspectives (Diversity Interview Weekend) is this month.

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:29:37 PM)
No, the interview is done once.

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:29:50 PM)
Andy - I did not get a letter of recommendation from my supervisor. I got it from another manager I had worked with on some projects.

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:29:52 PM)
And yes, I second the idea of entering business plan competitions that pay.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:29:55 PM)
Godfrey-it depends on the school.  Are you asking me specifically about NYU?

Simoon (Feb 5, 2008 8:30:16 PM)
Thanks Brian and April.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:30:18 PM)
Professors and career centers also get requests for help from students (business plan, strategic help, etc). Darden allows this to substitute for class credit.

DCM (Feb 5, 2008 8:30:26 PM)
All: Has anyone consider obtaining a dual-masters? If so, in what and how does the Consortium work you if that is your goal?

MBA Tron (Feb 5, 2008 8:30:30 PM)
Ray...thanks...I am just waiting for Darden Decision on March 10...

Sade (Feb 5, 2008 8:30:35 PM)
Jackie, if your application was submitted on the Jan. 5th deadline, what's the very latest date to retake the GMAT to boost a weak score?

Monica_Grisales (Feb 5, 2008 8:30:55 PM)
Wendy - I meant to ask... does Texas communicate admissions decisions in late Feb. or does it wait until Consortium decisions are made?

Andy (Feb 5, 2008 8:30:58 PM)
Thanx Bernie.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:31:00 PM)
Good luck Tron, send me any questions HernandezR08@darden.virginia.edu.

mba2010 (Feb 5, 2008 8:31:09 PM)
AndreaUSC, when can December round applicants expect to begin hearing from USC?

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:31:11 PM)
DCM - I thought about HPM but I would have to pay for the additional time it required.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:31:19 PM)
Hi imposter - We have a diversity interview weekend coming up and invitations have been sent. If you are not invited it does not mean that you will not be given an interview. Stern gets a lot of Consortium apps, and unfortunately everyone cannot be invited to our interview day. Does that help?

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:31:56 PM)
mba2010-I am not exactly sure, because the Admissions office makes those decision independently. I can definitely find out for you.

Monica_Grisales (Feb 5, 2008 8:32:00 PM)
Brian - Good to see you here!! Besides knowing our story in detail and why Stern... any other tips for the interview? How long does it take after the interview to receive a decision from the School?

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:32:01 PM)
Andy- No problem. I was in sales and would have lost my job. The Consortium and Emory must have been OK with my recommendation letter from this other manager because I got accepted and got the fellowship.

Yoli (Feb 5, 2008 8:32:10 PM)
To Consortium applicants - are you all round 1/round 2 applicants? Two of my schools are still under review (Tuck and NYU) and I just heard from Michigan today.  Is this atypical?

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:32:18 PM)
mba2010-I applied in December and heard the first week of Feb.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:32:32 PM)
Sade - lets talk offline.

Yeny (Feb 5, 2008 8:32:44 PM)
BrianJones, I applied to NYU in the first Consortium round. I have not heard from NYU, when do you think I will hear from you guys?

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:32:52 PM)
Shara-did you go on an M-Trek?

cMoore (Feb 5, 2008 8:33:05 PM)
Jackie: Are there formal obligations or commitments when being a Consortium member or a Consortium Fellow?

DCM (Feb 5, 2008 8:33:08 PM)
Thanks Bernie!

MBA Tron (Feb 5, 2008 8:33:14 PM)
Ray..will do...have a great night...hopefully I will see you at Darden Days!! Go Wahoos!!

WendyOrtegaWhelessTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:33:17 PM)
Monica, McCombs has a rolling admissions process... we have deadlines and our class tends to fill by the time the deadline comes around, but if we have yet to fill our class, we will consider applications that come in beyond the deadline.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:33:22 PM)
Hi Monica - Stern will let you know within 2-3 weeks after your interview date. As far as tips...just be yourself and know your story!

Sade (Feb 5, 2008 8:33:31 PM)
Ok, thanks...

Shara ROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:33:31 PM)
Bigd - no, I didn't. But most of my friends did! Would be happy to put you in touch with anyone if you have questions.

WendyOrtegaWhelessTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:33:31 PM)
(This user is now known as WendyTEXAS)

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:33:33 PM)
Wahoo-wa see you at Darden Days.

motorious (Feb 5, 2008 8:33:56 PM)
BrianJonesNYU: I know that NYU interviews are by invitation only, but they had concluded them before January 5. Were most of the students accepted invited to interview?

mba2008 (Feb 5, 2008 8:34:10 PM)
All: How much does the GMAT and GPA weigh into a school's decision to award a fellowship?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:34:13 PM)
CMoore - no formal commitments but many of our students and alumni are willing to give their time and treasures $.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:34:14 PM)
Hi Yeny - It is a rolling admissions process. You could hear any day now.

imposter (Feb 5, 2008 8:34:25 PM)
Brian, I applied through the Consortium to NYU R1, but haven't heard a thing yet. When did you hear? How long did it take? I should add that I think very few people are hearing anything from NYU.

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:34:33 PM)
Simoon - one more thing about entrepreneurship - McCombs hosts a competition that is now known as the Super Bowl of all business plan competitions! Check out www.mootcorp.org

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:34:44 PM)
Hi Mototorius...What was concluded by Jan 5th?

Linda Abraham (Feb 5, 2008 8:34:56 PM)
All: What do you like best (other than the people) about your program?

Simoon (Feb 5, 2008 8:35:01 PM)
Great...Thanks Wendy.

Shara ROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:35:04 PM)
mba2008- not sure about your question.

zena (Feb 5, 2008 8:35:11 PM)
BrianNYU -- if I haven't heard from NYU, can I assume that I won't be receiving an invite to the Diversity Interview Weekend?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:35:12 PM)
mba 2008 - that varies by school. You should contact the school of interest directly.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:35:13 PM)
For Darden-UVa....there are other factors, my advice is to stay within the ranges from the year before.

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:35:27 PM)
I love that we are a general management school and so I now have a network of classmates interested in ALL aspects of business.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:35:31 PM)
Hi imposter....see above. I responded to that question.

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:35:48 PM)
Yoli- Round 1, heard from Ross in mid-Jan, Indiana a week later, and Texas last week...still awaiting Tuck decision

imposter (Feb 5, 2008 8:35:52 PM)
Hi Brian. Thanks. I guess it means I'm probably not getting in? If NYU has rolling admission, and I submitted my application to the Consortium at the end of October (and NYU got it December 1, with my official GMAT following December 14th), then I cannot hazard a guess as to why I've heard nothing except that I'm pre-dinged. Oh well.

Shara ROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:36:04 PM)
The best part of Ross is the diversity in the way ideas are taught (case, action based, traditional), and the amount of hands on experience you can get (MAP and other classes).

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:36:30 PM)
I like the industry-focused Academies. I'm a member of the Supply Chain and Global Management Academy and I like working on live case studies. The multiple opportunities are great too. I was turning interviews down last semester.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:36:48 PM)
I like the fact that alumni are fiercely loyal, and that we pride ourselves on being well-rounded.

Sade (Feb 5, 2008 8:37:22 PM)
AndreaBurgess, any idea when 2nd round (Jan. 5) applicants hears a decision from USC?

Natasha (Feb 5, 2008 8:37:27 PM)
I sent you an email Bernie. Thanks again.

carlacori (Feb 5, 2008 8:37:35 PM)
Hi Wendy! I applied to McCombs r2, and I sent my transcripts in early December to the Consortium address but my application status page says they haven't received them, what should I do?

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:37:41 PM)
Emory - Has a small class (150 -200 students) which allows you to get to know many of your professors. I even got help on my internship project from some of my professors. Great open door policy.

zena (Feb 5, 2008 8:37:49 PM)
JackieCONSORTIUM -- when can we expect to hear fellowship decisions? March or April?

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:37:57 PM)
Sade-I'm not sure as I applied in the first round, but I can find out for you from the Admissions contact.

Andy (Feb 5, 2008 8:37:57 PM)
Jackie, any input to my question?

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:38:21 PM)
Jackie when is d-day for the fellowships this year? (read-->when do the schools get together and conduct the draft?)

Andy (Feb 5, 2008 8:38:32 PM)
Brian, what are the hours for a typical day as a trader?

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:38:33 PM)
Hi Zena - not necessarily. Unfortunately everyone can't be invited to the weekend. There are people in my class that did not come to the weekend.

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:38:37 PM)
Sade-I would say 5-6 weeks as an estimate.

Medina2 (Feb 5, 2008 8:38:43 PM)
AprilTaylorINDIANA, can you tell me about the bid system for on-campus recruiting at Indiana?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:38:45 PM)
ALL - fellowship letters will be mailed around 10 March.

Xavier (Feb 5, 2008 8:38:49 PM)
Andrea- what is your contact info if I have any questions later?

mba2008 (Feb 5, 2008 8:38:54 PM)
Yoli - did you submit r1 or r2?

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:39:26 PM)

SuperTuesday (Feb 5, 2008 8:39:28 PM)
JackieConsortium, What is the Consortium "draft" refer to?

Yoli (Feb 5, 2008 8:39:31 PM)

motorious (Feb 5, 2008 8:39:47 PM)
BrianJonesNYU: Applications were due for Consortium and second round NYU on January 5th.  And that was the day I submitted.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:39:49 PM)
Andy - repost your question.

SuperTuesday (Feb 5, 2008 8:40:02 PM)
Brian NYU - would you say that a good portion of the Diversity Interview candidates are accepted? Sorry for all the Diversity Interview Questions, I just want to be prepared!

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:40:04 PM)
Hi Imposter....there is no advantage to applying early to NYU through the Consortium. I can't comment on your chances of getting in, but I will say that not everyone in my class came to the weekend!

Monica_Grisales (Feb 5, 2008 8:40:11 PM)
Wendy - What I meant to ask is...if I applied in R2, would I be notified about admissions (expected Feb 22) and then the fellowship (April) or would I be notified about all decisions at once?

Sade (Feb 5, 2008 8:40:31 PM)
Thanks Andrea.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:40:33 PM)
Medina2: There's 2 ways to get an interview with a company. You can be preferenced by the company or you can bid for a slot.

rxd (Feb 5, 2008 8:40:48 PM)
All-How much did money play in your decision to attend a specific school? If offered another school fellowship as opposed to the Consortium which should you take? Can you still be a Consortium member if you are not attending a Consortium school?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:41:03 PM)
All - our deadline to accept Consortium fellowships is April 15.

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:41:19 PM)
Jackie (Monica) - I think I might need you to answer Monica's question since it's in regards to Consortium deadlines, not McCombs deadlines.

rxd (Feb 5, 2008 8:41:20 PM)
Felipe-Thanks for answering my question can I ask you other career related questions off line?

FelipeIzquierdoWISCONSIN (Feb 5, 2008 8:41:32 PM)
RXD yeah.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:41:43 PM)
rxd, money did play a role for me. In-state at Texas was half the tuition than out-of-state at UVa.

André (Feb 5, 2008 8:41:43 PM)
Jackie- what is the approximate percentage of Consortium applicants that receive a fellowship?

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:41:51 PM)
rxd-The money is really only 1 part of the Consortium's gift to you. The network and OP are priceless.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:41:51 PM)
Hi Andy - my day was long this summer. I was in the office from 6a - 7p. I'm actually President of the Sales & Trading Club here at Stern. Take a look at our website: http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~stclub

Shara ROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:41:53 PM)
rxd - money played into it, but it was just one of many factors.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:42:07 PM)
Graduate Career Services opens and closes the bidding online, based on when the interview is. (There is usually a 2 week window.) Your bidding on the interview is based on your interest, as well, A for really interested, B, or C.

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:42:11 PM)
Felipe Izquierdo - Hope life is treating you well.

Yoli (Feb 5, 2008 8:42:13 PM)
NYU sent me an email that my application was under review January 28, so apparently it took some days to get to them. I guess I still have hope for an interview?

Andy (Feb 5, 2008 8:42:23 PM)
Jackie--my supervisor won't give me a recommendation letter, any suggestion?

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:42:55 PM)
All, how many of you received non-fellowship scholarship awards from schools not able to offer a fellowship?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:43:03 PM)
Monica - sometime they arrive within days of each other, but you should receive a letter of admission prior to receiving notification from the Consortium.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:43:08 PM)
Hi Motorius....I am not following your question. I understand that Jan 5th was the deadline. But you are referencing something being concluded before then???

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:43:10 PM)
Andy, I was in the same boat, I talked to people I worked with in non-profits and also called previous managers, as far back as 5 years previous.

FelipeIzquierdoWISCONSIN (Feb 5, 2008 8:43:22 PM)
Bernie. I'll be back in Charlotte soon. We have to meet up. Everything is great in Wisconsin! Are you staying in ATL?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:43:26 PM)
Andy - let's talk offline.

zena (Feb 5, 2008 8:43:33 PM)
All current students -- are most of your classes taught by professors or TAs? (especially 1st year classes)?

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:43:46 PM)
Zena-TAs do not teach any classes.  The TAs are typically 2nd year students.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:43:50 PM)
All professors (no TA's)-Zena.

Shara ROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:43:50 PM)
Zena - all classes are taught by professors.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:43:56 PM)
Hi ST....you can email me offline at brian.jones@stern.nyu.edu. I would say that a good number of people from that weekend are accepted. I see them all in my classes!

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:43:57 PM)
Zena: All of our classes are taught by professors.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:44:19 PM)
Andre - the Consortium will pay for the b-school portion only.

Xavier (Feb 5, 2008 8:44:20 PM)
Students: Does the Consortium fellowship cover fees such as room and board for on campus living? I have heard contrasting answers.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:44:30 PM)
No, tuition only.

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:44:42 PM)
Xavier-tuition only.

MBA 2010 (Feb 5, 2008 8:44:54 PM)
Jackie (Consortium) Hello, could you apprise of the average GMAT and GPA of Consortium applicants this year? Not sure if I missed this. Thanks.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:44:56 PM)
Xavier: No. Tuition and fees only (healthcare, technology fees etc).

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:45:04 PM)
Felipe Iz- Yeah I will be hanging out in the ATL for at least a year until Carmen finishes derm residency. Jose (my brother) still has a job with BoA!!

SuperTuesday (Feb 5, 2008 8:45:23 PM)
Thanks Brian, I will definitely email you before the event.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:45:24 PM)
Yoli - It's not over until yet. It's not over unless you get declined. If you get accepted that great! If you get waitlisted, there are things you can do to strengthen your candidacy.

Andy (Feb 5, 2008 8:45:26 PM)
Good to know Ray, Thanks.

Kari (Feb 5, 2008 8:45:32 PM)
Hello ALL – Do you think it is still worthwhile to visit schools while waiting for a decision? I was not able to visit all of my ranked schools, but I would still like to do so.

MBA08 (Feb 5, 2008 8:45:51 PM)
Brian, roughly how many fellowships did NYU give out last year?

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:45:53 PM)
kari-you should REALLY visit the schools as they are all very different.

mba2008 (Feb 5, 2008 8:46:02 PM)
Shara ROSS - You mentioned that Ross has ~50 consortium students per year...would you say that all 50 get fellowships? Are there Consortium students at Ross that were not offered a fellowship?

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:46:14 PM)
Kari-I'm sorry, did you mean a 2nd visit?

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:46:14 PM)
Big D - I got a non-fellowship scholarship from Carnegie Mellon when I was going through the process.

ronmexico (Feb 5, 2008 8:46:15 PM)
Jackie - I am a US Navy fighter pilot on an exchange assignment in the United Kingdom. I plan on applying to several schools next year - has the Consortium taken applications from people living overseas? Do I need to book a ticket to the US in order to conduct interviews?

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:46:15 PM)
Kari- absolutely visit! Definitely not too late.

RayHernandezDARDEN (Feb 5, 2008 8:46:24 PM)
Kari, yes, you should always take an opportunity to visit.

FelipeIzquierdoWISCONSIN (Feb 5, 2008 8:46:29 PM)
rxd- I'm offline.

Shara ROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:46:32 PM)
mba2008 - my year we all got fellowships.  For 2009 I think some people got partial fellowships.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:46:51 PM)
mba 2010 - Our average GMAT and GPA is not as important as the schools. Check their website for averages. We do not calculate.

motorious (Feb 5, 2008 8:47:10 PM)
BrianJonesNYU: I had submitted the question about interviews by invitation only, and you asked: "what was due on January 5th?"

rxd (Feb 5, 2008 8:47:35 PM)
Felipe-I'm sorry, I meant via email, when I've had some time to formulate more questions, I'm no good at this chat stuff.

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:47:46 PM)
Kari- If the school has not made a decision then it may help you. Otherwise only if you are unsure about what school you want to attend. The culture of the school is hard to understand unless you spend some time with the students.

mba2008 (Feb 5, 2008 8:47:53 PM)
Thanks Shara.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:47:54 PM)
Hi MBA08 - I am not sure. Believe it or not at Stern we do not really discuss who got fellowships and who did not. I'm not even sure how many were given to my class. It sounds like a cliche, but we really are one big happy family.

FelipeIzquierdoWISCONSIN (Feb 5, 2008 8:48:04 PM)
rxd- no problem fizquierdo@wisc.edu

carlacori (Feb 5, 2008 8:48:24 PM)
Hi Jackie! I sent my transcripts to the Consortium address in early December and the application status page at McCombs says they haven't received them. Can I contact anyone at the Consortium or should I contact the school directly?

Monica_Grisales (Feb 5, 2008 8:48:49 PM)
All students- what things can we do to strengthen our candidacy if waitlisted?

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:48:52 PM)
Motorius - email me offline. brian.jones@stern.nyu.edu

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Feb 5, 2008 8:49:31 PM)
Goodnight all! Sorry I have to sign-off early. If anyone has any other questions about Kelley or the Consortium, feel free to e-mail me at: taylor33@indiana.edu.

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:49:56 PM)
Monica/Godfrey-perhaps improve your GMAT depending on the score, really look at your application from the perspective of the admissions team, it will depend on your own app. Taking courses always helps!

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:49:57 PM)
Ronmexico - yes we do accept applications from students living internationally. Contact your schools of interest to see if they are interviewing in your area.

SkiC (Feb 5, 2008 8:49:58 PM)
Ken Simpson: Sorry for jumping in late, but I just arrived. Where can I find out more information about the Consortium?

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:50:01 PM)
Monica- Godfrey - if you have not visited the school then you may want to make the trip there. Make sure you contact admissions and see if you can get some time.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:50:01 PM)
Waitlist - submit additional recs, retake GMAT, explain parts or app.

imposter (Feb 5, 2008 8:50:03 PM)
Brian, I hate to continue pestering you, but I wonder around what time of year you got your initial decision from NYU. I was told by admissions that though we applied through the Consortium R1, Admissions couldn't guarantee that we would get an initial decision by the regular R1 deadline of February 15th. That's why I wanted to know when you first heard anything.

roberto (Feb 5, 2008 8:50:25 PM)
Jackie, I received an email from Michigan saying their admission decisions would posted on embark on March 15th, but I applied through the consortium so I don't have an embark account with them... How then do I find out the admission decision?

Monica_Grisales (Feb 5, 2008 8:50:32 PM)
Carlacori - you should have received an email letting you know that this is normal. It will show that way for a while because the transcripts were sent to Consortium. However, Texas will get them. Monica Fortune sent the email.

SuperTuesday (Feb 5, 2008 8:50:35 PM)
Andrea USC - does admissions call or email with a decision?

rxd (Feb 5, 2008 8:50:40 PM)

AndreaBurgessUSC (Feb 5, 2008 8:50:51 PM)
Supertuesday- I received a phone call for both decisions.

Jackson Browne (Feb 5, 2008 8:50:51 PM)
Hi All and Jackie--I feel I have a strong application yet my GMAT is below the school's average. I have taken the test twice and spent big money on a GMAT course. I feel this may be still a weak area....would you advise that I take the GMAT again in the next month and then report my score to schools in the hopes that it will help??  Thank you.

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:50:59 PM)
Hi imposter - I heard in March. NYU sometimes holds Consortium apps until the second deadline. There is actually no real advantage to applying early to NYU.

KenSimpsonCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:51:06 PM)
SkiC, the best place to find out more information is www.cgsm.org.

SkiC (Feb 5, 2008 8:52:02 PM)

carlacori (Feb 5, 2008 8:52:04 PM)
Ok thanks!

ed (Feb 5, 2008 8:52:15 PM)
I haven't heard anything from NYU. Is that normal?  I applied 2nd round on Jan 4.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:52:21 PM)
Jackson Browne - lets talk offline.

Linda Abraham (Feb 5, 2008 8:52:35 PM)
Last call for questions...

Shara ROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:52:41 PM)
Roberto - not sure about your question. I can put you in touch with admissions if you'd like. ssenior@umich.edu

BernieTraywickEmory (Feb 5, 2008 8:52:41 PM)
Jackson- As long as your GMAT is not huge outlier then the schools will consider the whole package - at least for Emory.

MBA 2010 (Feb 5, 2008 8:52:48 PM)
Jackie: How many students have applied to the Consortium this year? About how many will be offered fellowships?

FRobinson (Feb 5, 2008 8:53:02 PM)
Ken: How heavily is age weighed in the Consortium process? Can strong extracurriculars in undergrad and advancement in my career take the place of the status quo 3-5 years work experience?

KenSimpsonCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:53:07 PM)
SkiC: Or you can contact us directly via phone or e-mail.

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:53:17 PM)
Roberto- if you get admitted you get a phone call from Ross.

Monica_Grisales (Feb 5, 2008 8:53:26 PM)
Jackie - have the same issue as Jackson - Can I email you / call you to discuss?

FelipeIzquierdoWISCONSIN (Feb 5, 2008 8:53:32 PM)
Anyone with additional questions about the process can email me at fizquierdo@wisc.edu.

Xavier (Feb 5, 2008 8:53:40 PM)
Were any of you part of INROADS as undergraduate students? How is the Consortium different or similar?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:54:02 PM)
mba2010 - we expect over 800 applications. We won't know how many offers until the meeting in March.

imposter (Feb 5, 2008 8:54:04 PM)
Brian, if you heard in March, how is it that you were invited to the Diversity Weekend? You didn't have an interview that weekend? I'm kind of confused!

Linda Abraham (Feb 5, 2008 8:54:28 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to all the Consortium representatives here this evening.  We look forward to seeing you at future events. Here is a list of currently scheduled events:

• Telethon (For 2009 Applicants) – Feb. 6 
  • Cornell Johnson Waitlist Chat – Feb. 27
Please check http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.aspx#mba for exact times and details. Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

Shara ROSS (Feb 5, 2008 8:54:58 PM)
Nice chatting with you all!

bigd (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:03 PM)
Another great Consortium chat...thanks Linda for hosting and thanks to all the folks at the Consortium...you guys rock.

Monica_Grisales (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:06 PM)
Xavier - I was part of INROADS. You can email me to discuss further because it is very different - monica.grisales@gmail.com.

Simoon (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:09 PM)
Thanks everyone!

Xavier (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:12 PM)
Good night! :)

Kari (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:15 PM)
Hi Bernie - What would you consider a "huge outlier?"

mba2008 (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:17 PM)
Thank you all

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:19 PM)
Imposter - Diversity Weekend is at the end of February. I interviewed there. And I heard a few weeks later in early March.

SuperTuesday (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:22 PM)
Thank You ALL.

KenSimpsonCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:24 PM)
FRobinson I don't know that age is heavily weighed, I do think full time work experience is valued.

Andy (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:29 PM)
Thx everyone.

Yeny (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:33 PM)
Bernie, I was invited to the Welcome Weekend, but I do not think I will know by then if I will attend Goizueta, is it ok if I do not go to the Welcome Weeked and then end up going to Goizueta?

Linda Abraham (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:39 PM)
You're most welcome.

Sade (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:47 PM)
Peace everyone...Go Obama!

Jackson Browne (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:49 PM)
Jackie how may I contact you?

FRobinson (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:55 PM)
Thank you Ken.

FelipeIzquierdoWISCONSIN (Feb 5, 2008 8:55:58 PM)
Goodnight everyone! Good luck all applicants and 2nd years going into the market!

BrianJonesNYU (Feb 5, 2008 8:56:02 PM)
All - thanks for the great NYU questions. Please email me offline if you have any more! brian.jones@stern.nyu.edu

imposter (Feb 5, 2008 8:56:19 PM)
Thank you all for your time. And thanks, Brian, for humoring me.

WendyTEXAS (Feb 5, 2008 8:56:24 PM)
Nice talking to and hearing from everyone! Good night!

Kari (Feb 5, 2008 8:57:16 PM)
Jackie - Jackson's question is a popular one! I am also interested in your response to his concern.

Sade (Feb 5, 2008 8:57:39 PM)
Jackie, me as well...

Kari (Feb 5, 2008 8:58:22 PM)
Thank you all (in advance for those that are signing off now), this is greatly appreciated!

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Feb 5, 2008 8:58:45 PM)
oldenj@cgsm.org or 314-877-5540.  Anyone in the recruiting department can assist, recruiting@cgsm.org.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room