2008 Michigan Ross MBA Waitlist Chat with Soojin Kwon Koh

2008 Michigan Ross MBA Waitlist Chat with Soojin Kwon Koh

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Mar 24, 2008 1:02:33 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com’s Ross waitlist chat.
I also want to welcome Soojin Kwon Koh, Director of Admissions, and Maureen Shay, member of Ross’ MBA Class of ‘08. Maureen has had some technical difficulties and will be joining in a couple of minutes.  Thanks to everyone for joining. Please post your questions, and I will choose as many as possible from the ones you post and our guests will respond. You can also post follow up questions.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:04:11 PM)
Let me start by saying that all of the folks on our waitlist are an impressive bunch. I wish we had a bigger class size so we could've admitted everyone earlier in the process. But there's still a real possibility of being admitted to our class!

CouplesWaitLTogeth (Mar 24, 2008 1:04:44 PM)
Are couples considered together as a package, especially, if both are waitlisted?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:05:17 PM)
We do take personal situations into consideration. But I wouldn't say that it necessarily gives someone a leg up or a leg down.

smilinj28 (Mar 24, 2008 1:05:25 PM)
Soojin, thanks for joining us today. Under what criterias/decision process does Ross Adcom choose to wait list a candidate?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:06:35 PM)
There are a variety of reasons someone may be waitlisted. All of the components of the application are part of the decision process so any one of those things could've been the contributing factor (e.g., GMAT, work experience, recommendations, essays, interview or achievements). Each situation varies.

CouplesWaitLTogeth (Mar 24, 2008 1:07:15 PM)
If an applicant perceives quant as a weakness, what may she/he do besides GMAT to off set the weakness?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:08:20 PM)
The GMAT is certainly one measure. Taking post-undergrad courses in quant classes and getting a good grade can help as well. Some folks may already be working in a highly quantitative field (e.g., accounting, finance, etc.), so that can offset a lower quant score.

Daniel B. (Mar 24, 2008 1:08:23 PM)
Hello, thanks for the opportunity. I will retake the GMAT soon. My second guess is that the interview could have being better. What can I do to improve this component?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:09:21 PM)
We only offer one interview opportunity to prospective students. It is rare that the only issue for an applicant was a weak interview. There is usually something else that comes into play for waitlist decisions.

Linda Abraham (Mar 24, 2008 1:09:53 PM)
Soojin, as a follow up on the quant question, do you consider taking a course like the course offered at MBAMath.COM to be helpful?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:10:52 PM)
We generally recommend taking a college-level math course (e.g., algebra, calculus), if an applicant hasn't already taken one or is very rusty. These courses can be taken at a local college or online.

Andrew (Mar 24, 2008 1:10:52 PM)
Do you accept additional recommendations? If yes, do you prefer professional or character recommendations?

Linda Abraham (Mar 24, 2008 1:11:05 PM)
Welcome Maureen! I'm glad you can join us. Maureen is a member of Ross' Class of 08.

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:11:17 PM)
Thanks Linda - happy to be here.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:11:19 PM)
Andrew -We do not recommend getting additional recommendation letters.

Chris (Mar 24, 2008 1:11:59 PM)
Maureen: How does the Ross School prefer for waitlisted applicants to communicate with the school?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:12:51 PM)
We don't have different percentages of admits for international vs. U.S. waitlisted applicants. We really look at the class and see how it's shaping up.

WhitneyJohn (Mar 24, 2008 1:13:03 PM)
Soojin: What type of supplemental information are you looking for from waitlisted candidates that may help you make your decision?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:13:24 PM)
Hi Chris. Initially, it is important to let the school know you are interested in remaining on the waitlist. Subsequently, you are going to want to update admissions if you have any significant changes that may impact your candidacy (i.e. increased GMAT, awards, job changes).

Aman (Mar 24, 2008 1:13:34 PM)
Maureen: I do not have much to add to my application, how would my application be reviewed?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:14:49 PM)
Whitney John, generally, we encourage applicants to let us know about significant changes since their original application (e.g., promotions, awards, new GMAT scores, post-undergrad coursework grades). of course, we do want to know whether you're still interested in being considered. And if so, you should confirm your interest by emailing RossMBA@umich.edu and noting "Waitlist" in the subject line. If we don't hear from you, then we will assume that you have made alternate plans and don't wish to be considered further.

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:15:16 PM)
Aman - the applications of waitlisted candidates are reviewed on an on-going basis and the people that are ultimately accepted are those that will best round out the class.

Chris (Mar 24, 2008 1:15:20 PM)
Soojin: I will be on campus the first week of April to attend the Ford School Open House. Is it possible to set up an appointment with a Ross School admissions counselor?

maxchen (Mar 24, 2008 1:15:34 PM)
Maureen: I was waitlisted without an interview, is that a normal situation, can I request the interview?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:16:16 PM)
Max - it is my understanding that admissions will reach out to you if they would like to interview you.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:16:38 PM)
Chris, we do not encourage waitlisted applicants to meet with Admissions Counselors during the consideration process. I do encourage you, however, to visit the school if you haven't already done so. You can schedule an official school visit via VisitRoss@umich.edu. You'll be able to meet with current students and sit in on a class.

Adam K (Mar 24, 2008 1:16:43 PM)
Maureen, thank you for hosting this chat. How important is it at Ross to continually stay in contact with the admissions office in order to remain waitlisted? How much is too much contact?

Chris (Mar 24, 2008 1:17:04 PM)
Soojin: How can a wait listed candidate identify how he/she can improve his/her application?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:17:11 PM)
Max - Maureen is correct. You cannot request an interview. We will reach out to you if we would like to interview you.

Linda Abraham (Mar 24, 2008 1:18:14 PM)
Soojin, does visiting Ross help an applicant's chances?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:18:21 PM)
Chris - I would recommend first reviewing your stats against our current student stats (e.g., years of full-time work experience, GMAT score, GPA). If those seem to be in line with our stats, then I would look to the type of work experience you have and your essays.

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:19:41 PM)
Adam - great question. It is good to be proactive but you do not want to be overly communicative. By that, I mean ensure that Ross knows you want to remain on the waitlist, update them if you have any significant changes to your application and generally 'keep in touch'. I don't recommend emailing or calling every week or month if you don't have anything relevant to add. If you have been in communication with the school, they know you are still interested.

Suyash (Mar 24, 2008 1:20:09 PM)
Maureen: Hard to make quantum changes in the next 90 days (outside of GMAT scores, job promotions) and clearly no reason to burden the committee with lesser information. Best to wait and watch ?

James Boomis (Mar 24, 2008 1:20:16 PM)
Hi Soojin. Can you describe the process that the admissions committee follows over the next several weeks for considering waitlisted candidates?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:20:19 PM)
Linda, visiting Ross is helpful to the applicant in that he/she will have a much better sense if Ross is truly the best fit for them. But it will not really help in the admissions process as we don't give extra consideration to those who visit. That would disadvantage folks who aren't able to visit for financial or scheduling reasons. We want to keep the playing field as fair as possible. That said, I always encourage applicants to visit the schools they are considering so they can make an informed decision.

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:21:03 PM)
Suyash - yes, as difficult as it is, it is best to wait and watch if you don't have anything significant to add.

pepe691 (Mar 24, 2008 1:21:19 PM)
Maureen: Does Ross accept only updates? Would addressing perceived weakness in a few short paragraphs be considered OK?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:22:23 PM)
James - we're currently in the process of reviewing Round 3 applications. We will re-review all waitlisted candidates during this round. Any whose decisions we'd like to change (either to admit or deny), we will notify with our Round 3 decisions on May 15. If you DON'T hear from us, that means you will continue to be on our waitlist and we will make decisions on a rolling basis after we have an idea of how many slots we have left in our class. Admitted students from Rounds 1 and 2 need to give us their decisions on May 1; Round 3 admits on June 1. So after those dates, we will move to a rolling review basis.

maxchen (Mar 24, 2008 1:22:42 PM)
What percentage of people get waitlisted first and finally get admission later in the year?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:23:18 PM)
Pepe691 - I would only address significant weaknesses if you have proactively done something to address the weakness. Otherwise, I wouldn't send anything in, as that is what the optional essay is for in the application.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:23:43 PM)
Max - the percentage of students admitted from the waitlist varies greatly each year. Knowing the percentage from any given year is not indicative of what we will plan to do this year. It really depends on the number of people who are admitted and decide to decline our admission offer.

Quiver (Mar 24, 2008 1:23:47 PM)
Maureen: Have decisions already been made on Round 1 waitlisted candidates? Will Round 2 candidates be notified only on Round 3 deadline?

VinitaRossMBA (Mar 24, 2008 1:23:50 PM)
Soojin, thanks for signing on. How many individuals are currently on the wait list? What do our chances look like at this point? Do you expect the yield to be lower or higher this year compared to other years?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:25:09 PM)
Vinita - it's hard to say at this point what the chances of admission are. It depends on how many admits decide to matriculate. If we have a low yield, then the chances of someone on the waitlist being admitted are high. If our yield is high, then the chances for waitlist folks are lower. Right now it's too early to tell what our yield will be. We'll have a better sense after May 1.

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:25:43 PM)
Quiver - if you are still on the waitlist, you are still in the running. A few waitlisted candidates were notified with Round 2 decisions and some will be notified with Round 3 decisions. After that, it will be more of a rolling admissions process for waitlisted candidates throughout the summer.

maxchen (Mar 24, 2008 1:25:55 PM)
Maureen: I think my GPA may be one of my weakness, what can I do to improve academic weakness?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:26:15 PM)
Deepak - waitlisted folks are evaluated anew each round. So really, you're getting multiple evaluations. There is no advantage or disadvantage in subsequent review processes.

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:27:53 PM)
Maxchen - it is difficult for me to comment on this without knowing more information. However, if your GPA is the issue, a high GMAT helps. It also is sometimes beneficial to take classes in your weaker areas before entering b-school to demonstrate your academic abilities.

sachin (Mar 24, 2008 1:28:02 PM)
Maureen: Is there a disadvantage to Waitlisted students in terms of housing opportunities etc.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:28:46 PM)
It really varies so widely that it is not a useful number to share. It's a simple math equation - it depends on the number of slots available and the number of folks we put on the waitlist. Both the numerator and the denominator can vary greatly each year, so trying to figure your "odds" at this point is really not a good way to think about things. I do not set a target percentage to admit from the waitlist; it truly depends on the numerator and the denominator.

Wait_TX (Mar 24, 2008 1:28:48 PM)
Soojin: Is more than one update to our current situation/application discouraged once placed on the wait list?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:29:50 PM)
Sachin - well, it depends on when a waitlisted student gets accepted. Everyone I know, including people accepted very late in the process, were able to secure housing. The difficulty in doing so will depend on where you want to live in AA.

Linda Abraham (Mar 24, 2008 1:30:05 PM)
While I understand curiosity about those stats, from my vantage point, they are usually unhelpful because they are nonpredictive. Don't focus on those stats. Focus on you and Ross. And your options now.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:30:28 PM)
Wait TX -The only updates that are valuable to us are the ones that report significant changes in your status - GMAT scores, grades, promotions, awards. Simply reiterating your interest on a weekly basis (as some have done) can hurt you. How you manage your waitlist status is a matter of judgment (good or bad), so we take that into consideration as well.

mug (Mar 24, 2008 1:30:36 PM)
Maureen: are waitlisted candidates still able to schedule a visit to Ross with a tour if we have not yet been on grounds?

mba2010 (Mar 24, 2008 1:30:46 PM)
Soojin, will Consortium waitlist applicants be considered for a Consortium fellowship if they are accepted off the waitlist?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:31:20 PM)
Mug - Sure, you can visit the school and take a tour. Dates and times of tours are posted on the website.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:31:32 PM)
MBA 2010- All of our Consortium fellowships (and all other scholarships) have already been awarded to admits from Rounds 1 and 2.

Mari (Mar 24, 2008 1:31:54 PM)
Maureen: Are scholarships/fellowships/financial aid less for those accepted off the waitlist?

JL (Mar 24, 2008 1:32:07 PM)
Soojin: What can we expect on May 15? Will most of us receive an admit/deny decision or will the bulk of candidates continue on the WL?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:32:12 PM)
Mari - as stated above, all of our awards will have been exhausted.

VinitaRossMBA (Mar 24, 2008 1:32:32 PM)
Soojin, I received acceptance from another school but Ross is my number 1 choice for an MBA. However, I will need to notify the other school by May 1st of my decision to attend. The deposit is pretty expensive. Is there any possibility that a decision may be rendered before the mid may date?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:32:57 PM)
Mari - financial aid is not impacted in terms of loans. You can still secure full funding if you are admitted over the summer.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:33:31 PM)
JL - it's hard to say whether "most" will receive an update on their decision. It really depends on the number of folks from Rounds 1 & 2 who decide to tell us they're coming on May 1. If all of them say yes (which is highly unlikely), then we wouldn't have any news for waitlisted folks on May 15. If all of them say no (which is highly unlikely), we would probably admit a large number from the waitlist then.

Marvin C. (Mar 24, 2008 1:33:38 PM)
Maureen: Would retaking the GMAT improve my chances of getting in?

Vidya (Mar 24, 2008 1:33:48 PM)
Hi Soojin, I have some significant updates on my professional front. Is an additional essay preferred or an email update in terms of processing for the adcom?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:34:51 PM)
Vinita, We will not give decisions on a one-off basis before May 15. We need to know what the status of the incoming class is before making those decisions. My recommendation would be to make the decisions you need to with the information you have at the given time and then if you need to change your decision with subsequent information, consider that as a possibility when the time comes.

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:35:33 PM)
Marvin C - well, it depends on what your GMAT was and if you have identified it as a weakness in your application. If it is clearly well below the average, re-taking it could help.

sebastian moraga (Mar 24, 2008 1:35:35 PM)
Maureen: To whom should we send updated information?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:35:55 PM)
I know this is a difficult waiting period for all of you. I appreciate your interest in Ross and for participating on the waitlist chat. Hopefully you will be among the bunch that hears from us soon!

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:36:31 PM)
Sebastian - waitlist info can be sent to RossMBA@umich.edu with "waitlist update" in the subject line. Or you can send it to the Associate Director who signed your decision notice.

Chris (Mar 24, 2008 1:36:41 PM)
Soojin:Can you recommend common pitfalls, or actions to avoid as a waitlisted candidate?

pepe691 (Mar 24, 2008 1:36:55 PM)
Maureen: Does Ross accept letters of endorsements from current students (who know the applicant well) to gauge "fit"? Or, have WL candidates already demonstrated "fit"?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:37:01 PM)
Sebastian - send updates to: RossMBA@umich.edu

JL (Mar 24, 2008 1:38:09 PM)
Maureen: Is there a deadline by when we should provide information about significant updates?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:39:18 PM)
Pepe691 - Ross does accept letters of support; however, my advice would be to only have people that really know you well and can comment on your candidacy in detail send in letters of support. You wouldn’t want people that you have only met a few times sending in letters as they can't add a lot of value beyond what is included in your application.

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:40:00 PM)
JL - you can send in updates as long as you are still on the waitlist.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:40:03 PM)
Chris - common pitfalls are not addressing clear competitive disadvantages in the app (e.g., low GMAT score, low quant grades), insisting upon meeting with an Admissions staff member, sending weekly updates about insignificant changes. On the scores front, if your scores and quant grades are below our average, the easiest way to strengthen your app may be to increase those scores/grades. For those on the waitlist with scores/grades in our median or above, it may be a bit harder to self-assess what the improvement area may be.

WhitneyJohn (Mar 24, 2008 1:40:05 PM)
Maureen: If you determined that a low GMAT was a reason for a candidate to be waitlisted, would you have asked the candidate to retake the test? I understand that each person has different circumstances but how do we determine what supplemental information you would like to see?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:40:21 PM)
Whitney - see my answer above

Chris H (Mar 24, 2008 1:40:43 PM)
Soojin: Hi, I hope this isn't repeating anyone else’s question. Is it correct to assume that 2nd and 1st round waitlisters will be reconsidered alongside 3rd round applicants? If this is the case, will an improved GMAT score, for example, make a difference; will the waitlisters be "re-ranked" if the areas of their application are improved ?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:41:53 PM)
Chris- Yes, all waitlisters will be reconsidered alongside Round 3 applicants. We do not rank any of our waitlisters; you are evaluated fresh. A higher GMAT score can certainly help if that was the primary area of concern for us.

zhu (Mar 24, 2008 1:42:05 PM)
Soojin: due to space and the way the questions were asked, I did not expand on my full experiences in my essays. If I wanted to highlight on my other experiences that could give the admissions committee a better idea of who I am, can I submit an email or essay?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:42:48 PM)
Zhu- No, we do not encourage anyone to submit additional essays or rewrite their essays. In order to be fair, everyone has one shot at their essays and interviews.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:43:58 PM)
Depends on the type of activity. If it is a course grade, that is useful to send us. If you already mentioned something other than a course being in progress, we took that into consideration and don't need to know that you completed it.

CouplesWaitLTogeth (Mar 24, 2008 1:44:23 PM)
Soojin: What is the difference between someone who is interviewed and waitlisted vs. someone who is waitlisted without the interview?

Aman (Mar 24, 2008 1:44:41 PM)
Maureen: I wrote the required email expressing my interest to remain on the waitlist on March 16th. I did not get any confirmation, except an invitation to this chat today. Is this normal?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:45:15 PM)
Couples- Nothing. It was just a matter of timing for us and how many waitlist interviews we were able to fit into our Round 2 schedule. If we had more time and staff, we likely would've tried to invite all waitlisters for interviews.

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:45:24 PM)
Aman - yes, that is normal.

pepe691 (Mar 24, 2008 1:45:25 PM)
Soojin, when you say you will see how the class is shaping up, do you mean that at this point demographics play a larger role for WL candidates than any significant updates?

Cesar M. (Mar 24, 2008 1:45:40 PM)
Maureen, if an applicant improves his GMAT score, may it guarantee the admission acceptance or not?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:46:06 PM)
Pepe- No, that is not the case. Class profile is part of the decision process, but quality of the individual waitlisted applicant's file also plays a role.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:46:35 PM)
Cesar-An improved GMAT score is not a guarantee of admission. We've denied people with 800s.

devguy (Mar 24, 2008 1:46:37 PM)
Soojin: Typically what percentage of the student population is comprised of students who were initially waitlisted?

Vidya (Mar 24, 2008 1:47:01 PM)
Maureen: I have some updates on my professional front. Is an additional essay the best way to update to the adcom? What is the preferred method?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:47:18 PM)
Cesar M - no, it doesn't guarantee admission. If that was your area of weakness, it can help your chances, but certainly, there are no guarantees.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:47:35 PM)
Devguy - It varies from year to year. Past percentages are not an indicator of future plans for us. I would really recommend trying not to second guess what your chances of admission are.

JL (Mar 24, 2008 1:47:48 PM)
Soojin: Was application volume up this year compared to last year? Was the change significant?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:48:03 PM)
Vidya - I would communicate your updates to the admission committee member who signed your waitlist letter.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:48:35 PM)
JL- Yes, we experienced an increase in applications this year. And the quality of the applications seems to have increased as well. It was an extremely difficult decision year for us as the strength of the applications was quite high!

Danielle (Mar 24, 2008 1:49:12 PM)
Maureen: Is it safe to assume that an invitation to this chat means that Ross has received my email regarding my desire to remain on the Waitlist? I did not receive confirmation back. Thanks!

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:49:18 PM)
Send any new scores or grades as soon as possible!

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:49:26 PM)
goblue2010 - No, not having updates is not viewed as a negative. Admissions understands that the timeframe for having significant updates to your application is very tight. So, they are encouraged but not expected.

Andrew (Mar 24, 2008 1:49:46 PM)
Maureen: Is it possible to find out if there is a current MAP project in my area in order to meet with the students to further determine if Ross is a good fit?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:50:20 PM)
Andrew - we don't release current MAP project locations outside the immediate Ross student body.

tx_dac (Mar 24, 2008 1:50:33 PM)
Soojin, do you anticipate inviting any candidates for an interview before May 15 (if they haven't already been interviewed)?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:50:38 PM)
Danielle - yes, if you sent an email confirming your interest, you are fine.

Andrew (Mar 24, 2008 1:51:00 PM)
Maureen. . . is it golfing weather in Ann Arbor yet?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:51:04 PM)
TX- It is possible that you may be invited for an interview before May 15, but not guaranteed. Keep in mind that an invitation to interview doesn't guarantee admission.

pepe691 (Mar 24, 2008 1:51:13 PM)
Soojin-if my stats and WE are in line with those of current students, and if I believe that I haven't done justice to my career progression in Essay 1 (since essay 1 was forward looking and since I don't know what my recommenders have written), would you consider it appropriate for us to address it now?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:51:23 PM)
Andrew - well, it depends on if you can find your golf ball in a pile of snow!

Andrew (Mar 24, 2008 1:51:59 PM)
Maureen: What are the disadvantages of being admitted from the waitlist?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:52:09 PM)
Pep- No, I would not recommend sending an updated Essay 1. In order to preserve the integrity of the process, we can't give select folks an additional "chance" at rewriting their essays.

Deepak JK (Mar 24, 2008 1:52:12 PM)
Soojin - thank you. Is it possible for us to know some of the common reasons why Ross waitlists applicants?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:52:41 PM)
Deepak - that was addressed at the beginning of this chat. Any portion of your application could've been the concern for us.

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:52:54 PM)
Andrew - the only disadvantage is that you miss GBR. Other than that, there is absolutely no differentiation among waitlisted student and those who were directly admitted.

mug (Mar 24, 2008 1:52:59 PM)
Soojin: Can you give us an idea of how Ross helps accepted waitlist students transition to Ross on short notice? By the time we hear back, a number of us will have made deposits at other MBA programs and even moved to those locations... Are there any logistical problems if we secure a position at another school while waiting to hear back from Ross?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:53:13 PM)
Deepak-The primary reason that folks are waitlisted is simply that we have fewer slots available in our class than the number of qualified applicants.

Vidya (Mar 24, 2008 1:53:39 PM)
Maureen: As a follow up to Sachin's question. As an international applicant, it takes longer for the visa formalities. During the rolling admissions, would international applicants be considered earlier to facilitate the visa processing?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:54:24 PM)
Vidya - I am going to defer to Soojin on this one...

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:54:39 PM)
Mug - each year, we have many waitlisted students who have already deposited elsewhere come here and successfully make a transition. We've had some who already started in orientation programs at other schools, some who thought they were out of the running so they were on worldwide travel, some who literally turned their moving vans around after getting a call from us. Thought it can be tough to make such a quick move, many have managed to do it.

Ross_aspirant (Mar 24, 2008 1:55:21 PM)
Maureen: Are mentioning admits from other schools in order to get an early decision a bad idea?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:55:24 PM)
Vidya - as stated in our waitlist notification letter, all international waitlist applicants will hear from us by July 1. After that time, we will be unable to further consider international waitlisters due to visa issues.

Marvin C. (Mar 24, 2008 1:55:43 PM)
Soojin: what percent of the student at Ross are from the New Zealand/Australia area?  The stat says it's 0%, does that mean none?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:56:05 PM)
Very few. Right now I think we have one admitted from that region.

Marvin C. (Mar 24, 2008 1:56:34 PM)
Soojin, why are additional recommendations not encouraged? If I have been recently promoted, wouldn't a letter from my boss be helpful?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:56:37 PM)
Ross_aspirant - your admittance in to other schools has no bearing on your admittance to Ross, so it is really not a factor.

JL (Mar 24, 2008 1:57:00 PM)
Maureen: If we haven't already completed a FAFSA, should we do so ASAP?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:57:27 PM)
Marvin - We assume that the recommenders you chose for your application know you well and have positive things to say about you. Those would still stand.

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:57:48 PM)
JL - If you have been admitted elsewhere, then you can go ahead and do it. If you are waiting on Ross, you can complete it once you are admitted, even if it is late in the summer.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 1:58:01 PM)
JL - yes! Fill out your FAFSA ASAP so you can still be considered for all types of aid.

Marvin C. (Mar 24, 2008 1:58:59 PM)
Maureen: if I plan to re-take the GMAT, by what date would you suggest that I submit the new score  to be considered in evaluating my application?

Linda Abraham (Mar 24, 2008 1:59:46 PM)
If a waitlisted applicant stays on the waitlist and doesn’t get accepted this year, does he or she have a better chance when reapplying next year?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:00:27 PM)
Marvin C - I would do it as soon as you feel best prepared to improve your score. That said, I would try to do it sooner rather than later.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:01:01 PM)
Great question! Yes, we invite waitlisted applicants who ultimately are not admitted to get feedback appointments from an admissions counselor if they are interested in reapplying to Ross next year. If the applicant addresses the issues outlined in the counseling session, they should have a good chance of admission.

Chris H (Mar 24, 2008 2:01:08 PM)
Soojin: My employer is very supportive but is becoming a little frustrated with my application situation; we cannot commit my time to long term projects. Do you have any advice?

Linda Abraham (Mar 24, 2008 2:01:19 PM)
Thanks.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:01:43 PM)
Chris H. - that's one of those professional judgment challenges that you'll have to make throughout your career. I can't really advise you on how best to handle that.

Cesar M. (Mar 24, 2008 2:01:48 PM)
Is there any difference between WL of 1rst round and WL of 2nd round?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:02:07 PM)
Cesar- no, there is no difference. We consider your app anew with each round.

Vidya (Mar 24, 2008 2:02:12 PM)
Maureen: You mentioned that the adcom did not prefer additional essays. However, if I have taken on substantial leadership role in my organization in the last couple of months, would it be a bad idea to elaborate my experiences in an essay?

Chris (Mar 24, 2008 2:02:40 PM)
Maureen: Is the size and prestige of one's undergraduate institution an admissions consideration?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:02:59 PM)
Chris - it is one consideration among many.

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:03:14 PM)
Vidya - it is a judgment call. I would only send in additional information if it really adds value.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:03:22 PM)
Yixin - there is nothing you can do to address your interview performance. We offer only one interview per applicant.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:03:50 PM)
DC - yes, we will take grades throughout the summer, if you are not admitted on May 15.

James Boomis (Mar 24, 2008 2:03:51 PM)
Soojin: Can you comment on whether being accepted from the waitlist would affect our ability to take part in various Ross student activities/programs (e.g., interviewing to be a Frankel Fellow or to take part in the Wolverine Venture Fund)?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:04:37 PM)
Chris - I think it is a factor to some extent but there are people from all types of UG schools (private, Ivy, State, etc.) I went to Ohio State - so they even admit Buckeyes!

Andrew (Mar 24, 2008 2:04:45 PM)
Maureen – did you use any tactics other than the ones already discussed to gain admission from the waitlist?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:04:54 PM)
James - no there is no impact on your ability to get involved in any clubs, classes or activities if you are admitted from the waitlist. If you are admitted right before classes, you may miss some of the Ross Leadership Initiative foundation session and orientation, but you would not miss out on classes, clubs or competitions.

Daniel B. (Mar 24, 2008 2:05:17 PM)
Soojin: If finally I got accepted but by then I have already decided to re-apply for next year (maybe for awards), is that spot valid for the following class?

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:05:26 PM)
Andrew - no, I knew my weakness (GMAT) so I re-took it and communicated my updated score accordingly. I know the wait is tough...

mug (Mar 24, 2008 2:05:48 PM)
Maureen: How does Ross contact waitlisted applicants to let them know they've been accepted? Phone, email, website?

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:06:01 PM)
James - some of our best student leaders and the most involved students in the class were admitted from the waitlist. Perhaps it has something to do with their deep commitment to coming to Ross. But I continue to be extremely impressed with the quality and the involvement of folks admitted from the waitlist. We have many who serve in leadership roles around the school.

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:06:16 PM)
mug - I received a phone call and I believe that is typical, unless there are geographic constraints.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:06:37 PM)
Daniel B. - admission cannot be deferred. If we admit you from the waitlist this year, it is only valid for this coming fall.

Linda Abraham (Mar 24, 2008 2:08:01 PM)
It is time to bring this chat to a close. Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Soojin and Maureen for taking the time to virtually meet with you, provide this information, and make this process as transparent and humane as possible.
Have a very good day! Good luck with your applications!

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:08:21 PM)
Just a bit of advice - I'd encourage you to keep in touch with your Associate Director (the one who signed your decision letter). They will be your advocate in this process so use good judgment about what you communicate with them.

alexm123 (Mar 24, 2008 2:08:34 PM)
Thank you very much!

VinitaRossMBA (Mar 24, 2008 2:08:37 PM)
Thanks Maureen and Soojin!

Deepak JK (Mar 24, 2008 2:08:57 PM)
Thank you Maureen and Soojin for your time.

SoojinKwonKohROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:09:04 PM)
Good luck all! I hope all of you end up at Ross because we do truly have a great bunch of folks on the waitlist!

Chris H (Mar 24, 2008 2:09:08 PM)
Thanks very much!

CouplesWaitLTogeth (Mar 24, 2008 2:09:11 PM)
Thank You Soojin, Linda, and Maureen.

MaureenShayROSS (Mar 24, 2008 2:09:18 PM)
Best of Luck and hang in there - it is worth the wait!

Linda Abraham (Mar 24, 2008 2:09:29 PM)
You're all most welcome. The transcript should be posted late next week.

tx_dac (Mar 24, 2008 2:10:12 PM)
Linda, what about the previous waitlist chat transcript? It was held back in January.

Linda Abraham (Mar 24, 2008 2:10:27 PM)
Unfortunately, that was lost.
Good luck to you all. Thanks for coming.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room