2008 London Business School MBA Admissions Chat with Zoë McLoughlin & Peter Johnson

2008 London Business School MBA Admissions Chat with Zoë McLoughlin & Peter Johnson

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 1:00:37 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome all applicants to the London Business School chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about London Business School. Whether you are working hard on your application to prepare for London Business School’s May 2 deadline or you are doing research with the intention of submitting in the fall, you need to know as much as you can to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice. Being here today allows you to ask the London Business School experts about this outstanding business school. I also want to welcome the impressive team London Business School has assembled to answer your questions today:

Amy Hugo – MBA Programme Office, Marketing and Admissions.

Zoë McLoughlin - MBA Programme Office, Marketing and Admissions

Peter Johnson - Finance Progammes Office, Admissions.

David Morris - Business Development Manager, Career Services.

Helen Green - Recruitment Manager (Finance), Career Services.

Geetu Sharma,– Current first year MBA student. Geetu is from India. She is about to start the summer term of her first year. She studied Finance and Accounting at University of New Delhi and prior to the MBA she worked as a Relationship Manager (European Business) at CRISIL Ltd.

See-Wan Lam – Current first year MBA student. See-Wan is from Canada and is also about to start the summer term of her first year. She studied European Studies and German literature as an undergrad  in Canada and prior to the MBA she worked as Trade and Pricing Manager, Mediterranean Region, APL Liner Spain, subsidiary of NOL Group. She was based in Barcelona.

Varun Goyal,– Current full-time Masters in Finance student. Varun is about to start his final term on the full-time Masters in Finance programme. His undergrad was in Mechanical Engineering. Prior to the Masters in Finance, Varun worked as a Trader - Fx Derivatives, in Treasury at Reliance ADA Group in Mumbai.

Anthony Rosen – Current full-time Masters in Finance student. Anthony is originally from the United States where he followed an undergrad in Economics. Prior to starting the full-time Masters in Finance he worked as a Senior Associate at Alvarez & Marsal (management consulting) in London.

As you can tell from the guest list, today’s chat also represents an opportunity not only to gain insight into London’s MBA program, but also to explore the Masters in Finance program at London Business School, located in one of the leading financial centers of the world. We invite questions about London’s Masters in Finance program as well as its MBA program. Welcome. Thanks to everyone for joining. It’s your turn now. Please post your questions.

Mackenzie (Apr 7, 2008 1:03:07 PM)
Zoe, when will the '09 application be posted?

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:03:18 PM)
Thank you Linda. We look forward to chatting with you all.

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:03:39 PM)
Mackenzie - The application form for 09 entry will be available online from Sept 08.

DerivativesGuy (Apr 7, 2008 1:04:07 PM)
Peter: Why is the Masters in Finance course different from most traditional Masters courses in terms of the prior work-experience required?

Mackenzie (Apr 7, 2008 1:04:11 PM)
Great. Thank you.

Lily (Apr 7, 2008 1:04:30 PM)
Zoe: What is the percentage of applicants receiving an interview call in round 3?

LBS_Aspirant2010 (Apr 7, 2008 1:04:57 PM)
Hi Amy, I applied in Round 2 and have been waitlisted. I plan to schedule a class visit in mid April. Is it possible for me to get an appointment with the Admissions Committee during my visit?

DavidMorrisLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:05:08 PM)
Hello I am David from Career Services covering Industry.

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:05:18 PM)
Lily - there are no set percentages or quotas for any of our application rounds. If you submit a good application, you'll get short-listed!

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:05:26 PM)
Derivatives Guy: The MiF is a very practical and applied programme, so experience is very important. It aids classroom discussion and group study.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 1:05:30 PM)
Geetu and Seewan: Could you also tell us what you are concentrating in? What do you hope to do this summer and post MBA?

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 1:05:37 PM)
Varun and Anthony, why did you choose to do a MiF and not an MBA?

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:05:41 PM)
Hello, I am Varun, MiF Full Time 2008 !!

HelenGreenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:06:04 PM)
Hello I'm Helen from Career Services, I cover Finance recruitment

MG7164 (Apr 7, 2008 1:06:05 PM)
Peter: For the Masters in Finance Program, is Financial Services in public accounting considered relevant work experience?

andrew (Apr 7, 2008 1:06:25 PM)
Zoe: has the admissions office noticed a large influx of applications this year? If so, please elaborate. Thank you.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 1:06:37 PM)
David & Helen: do you see MBA recruiting at the MBA and the MiF programs affected by the credit crunch and sub-prime mess in the US? Do your graduates have jobs?

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:06:59 PM)
Linda, Good question. I chose an MBA because I wanted a one-year program and I knew that I wanted to focus in finance, so for me it was exactly the type of program I was looking for. Plus our finance courses are often shared with MBAs so much of the curriculum overlaps.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:07:03 PM)
MG7164 yes, it is relevant experience. Note that we offer a CV (resume) review service via www.london.edu/mif .

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:07:16 PM)
Andrew - yes, we have noticed an increase in quantity but there are always places for good candidates, even in Stage 4.

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:07:23 PM)
Linda, In my case, I have already done an MBA from IIM Lucknow, India. However, while working in treasury, I felt the need for more advanced finance knowledge. MiF provides excellent training for Derivatives and related products.

Quant Finance (Apr 7, 2008 1:07:24 PM)
Peter: Hi, Thanks for providing opportunity to discuss the live admission queries. I hold double masters degree in engineering and financial engineering. However, after working for few years in finance sector, I am looking to change my career track into specific debt placement sector. I was wondering how my already holding double masters degree will be seen for my application to Masters in Finance program.

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:07:24 PM)
Linda: During the 1st year, we mostly have core courses that provide us a foundation in specific sectors as well as an overall general management perspective. For the summer I will be working in asset management industry and I think I will continue in that after MBA.

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:07:28 PM)
Oops, I meant I chose the MiF instead of the MBA for the reasons I mentioned above.

SeewanLamLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:07:30 PM)
Linda, I haven't really picked out a concentration yet but I am particularly interested in marketing and strategy, which is also the area I am interested in working post MBA.

Mackenzie (Apr 7, 2008 1:07:38 PM)
Zoe: Do you have an early decision option?

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 1:08:13 PM)
Geetu and Seewan: Why did you choose to do an MBA as opposed to an MiF?

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:08:15 PM)
LBS_Aspirant2010: Firstly let me say congratulations on getting this far in the application process; it has been a very competitive year and being placed on the waitlist is a sign that you have a strong profile. Unfortunately the Admissions Committee cannot schedule individual appointments with waitlisted candidates but may contact you directly if they wish to meet with you. You can, however, contact your regional representative to see if you can arrange a meeting with them.

Tk-QuantJock (Apr 7, 2008 1:08:29 PM)
Amy: This is a question for anyone from LBS who can answer, what % of LBS' admitted students come from the Hedge Fund industry.

ana (Apr 7, 2008 1:08:45 PM)
To Helen Green: What can we expect from a Masters in Finance in terms of career opportunities?

HelenGreenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:08:48 PM)
Linda, recruitment has continued to be strong on campus this year with more recruiters than ever coming to meet with our students. Although the market is competitive, there are still considerable opportunities available and recruiters clearly continue to value our students’ wealth of experience and diverse backgrounds. We are seeing recruiters taking a long term view and continuing to maintain their ranks of associates from the MBA and MiF programmes.

maria (Apr 7, 2008 1:09:05 PM)
For Amy, Zoe, and David: Good evening Linda: my question is as following: What makes a strong candidate? Exceptional performance at BA level or even masters? A promising GMAT score would be around ...? If the academic background in terms of grades is not excellent?

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:09:11 PM)
Mackenzie - No, unfortunately we don't. As our Admissions Committee meets on the set dates advertised in our admissions timetable, it is very hard for us to give early decisions. Please do get in touch with your admissions contact once you've applied though, as there may be a chance of some flexibility.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:09:21 PM)
Hi Quant Finance: we consider the whole of your education background so a double masters, while relatively uncommon, is no disadvantage.

DavidMorrisLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:09:23 PM)
Linda, building on Helen's answer, there is also a growing number of companies from the Industry sector recruiting at the school, either coming to campus and/or posting jobs.

Lily (Apr 7, 2008 1:09:25 PM)
Thanks, Zoe.

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:09:49 PM)
Lily - no problem. Good luck with your applications!

rolinstn (Apr 7, 2008 1:09:57 PM)
Zoe: If accepted for Fall 08, are deferrals until Fall 09 available?

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:10:03 PM)
Linda: I wanted to enhance my skill sets beyond just finance and have a more management/leadership perspective. Moreover, the 2 year MBA gave me the option to evaluate different career opportunities through the internship process.

Sachin (Apr 7, 2008 1:10:05 PM)
Hi Geetu and Varun, I'm from Hyderabad, an IT Consultant. My questions are: 1) Because I'm applying in the 4th round of application, will it reduce my chances of getting an admission? Will I get a feedback on my application if not chosen? How will my application be looked upon and will my chances be bleak if I need to apply again for next fall?

Ivaylo Dimitrov (Apr 7, 2008 1:10:21 PM)
Amy: Hi, thanks for holding this chat session. I would like to know just how strict is the "two year work experience" when you consider a candidate? I would have around 15 months of experience by the time I would like to apply, would that make me eligible to apply? Thank you!

Jack (Apr 7, 2008 1:11:05 PM)
Helen, is it difficult to find an investment banking job in London if you only speak English?

SeewanLamLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:11:12 PM)
Linda, the main reason for that is really my post MBA goal. I wanted a general management programme that would help me change into brand management and strategy while the MiF programme is really for people with some finance background wanting to go back into finance. Therefore the MBA was a logical choice for me.

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:11:13 PM)
Rolinstn - deferrals are only granted in exceptional circumstances, so it is probably not a good idea to apply this year if you know that you won't be able to start until Fall 09. If you do need to request a deferral, just get in touch with your admissions contact and they will liaise with the AdCom on your behalf.

hopefulforR3 (Apr 7, 2008 1:11:21 PM)
Hi Zoe ... I had applied in R3... have you started sending out the interview invitations ? Please let me know

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:11:52 PM)
Hey Sachin !! Good luck for your application process. Someone from the admissions office would take your question.

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:11:59 PM)
HopefulforR3 - we will be sending out all short-list decisions for St 3 on 11 April. Good luck!

Sumit (Apr 7, 2008 1:12:12 PM)
Zoe: while applying for LBS, other than the GMAT score, what else things should I be focusing on in order to have depth in my application. Although the answer can be broad, some bullet points would suffice.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:12:13 PM)
Hi Sachin We try to maintain the same level of selectivity in all rounds and there is still space available. We do not give detailed feedback to unsuccessful applicants - but if you reapply in a later intake the previous lack of success does not count against you. There must be new information to consider though.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 1:12:33 PM)
Students: What attracted you to London Business School? Has your experience met your expectations?

HelenGreenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:12:40 PM)
Ana, based in London with unparalleled access to top financial recruiters and with a great alumni network, our MiF students benefit from a wide range of employment opportunities; we have a traditionally strong relationship with investment banks and asset managers and have also diversified our finance offering to include private equity, finance within industry and hedge funds.

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:12:47 PM)
Hi Sachin, applying in 4th round does mean that there are some places that have already been filled up. But at the same time, the MBA office is impressed with your application, it does not matter. I don’t think you get feedback on your application.

Sumit (Apr 7, 2008 1:13:08 PM)
David and Helen: how much effective will a 1 year MBA be in case I plan to switch my career to a different industry vertical?

HelenGreenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:13:25 PM)
Jack - no, having a second language is an advantage but not a requirement.

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:13:36 PM)
Sachin: you should apply again next year if you think there has been a material change in your profile that can influence the decision

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:13:46 PM)
Hi Ivaylo, two years is a minimum - 6-7 years is the average for the MiF. Less experience = less contribution to the class and you will benefit less.

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:14:01 PM)
Linda, among so many things, top three factors for me to come to LBS were : Best-in-class Finance Faculty, MiF course content, London location.

annakool1009 (Apr 7, 2008 1:14:14 PM)
Peter and Amy: Hello, how important is the GMAT score in shortlisting applicants, and what is the expected range for the next round?

DavidMorrisLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:14:33 PM)
Sumit, by taking part in a two year MBA this will give you an opportunity of working on various projects and your summer internship which will give you an opportunity of trying different industry verticals.

DerivativesGuy (Apr 7, 2008 1:14:40 PM)
Peter: Is it true that LBS does not look favorably at candidates < 3 years work-exp for the MBA?

Quant Finance (Apr 7, 2008 1:14:44 PM)
Thanks Peter.

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:15:15 PM)
Linda, for me LBS because of international diversity, great location and excellent faculty.

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:15:19 PM)
Linda, what attracted met to LBS: location location location, but also the wide range of courses on offer and faculty reputation. It has most definitely met my expectations thus far, with two terms done and one more to go it has been a great experience.

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:15:20 PM)
Sumit - as you guessed, the answer is pretty broad! Essentially, we are looking for a good overall profile. The GMAT, along with your undergraduate GPA, attests to your academic strength; your work experience should show that you will have some interesting perspectives to bring to the MBA classroom; some evidence of international awareness is also important as we have a truly global learning environment. Apart from this, bear in mind that extra-curricular activities are important at the School, so we like evidence that you are passionate about things outside work and have gained team/leadership experience both in and out of your career. Does that help?

LBS_Aspirant2010 (Apr 7, 2008 1:15:22 PM)
Thank you Amy. Also, can we send additional information and updates in our career paths post submission of the application?

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:15:29 PM)
Maria: thank you for your question. We consider a variety of things when reviewing candidates: GMAT score, past academic performance, work experience and also the overall quality of the application and the research and effort that has gone into it. Also those intangible things such as leadership potential, drive and ambition are important. We do take a very holistic approach , so everything is important. If your past academic performance was not particularly strong, this can be outweighed by a stronger GMAT. Our current average GMAT score is 690 and the range is 600-780.

Mackenzie (Apr 7, 2008 1:15:53 PM)
Amy: Can you tell me how the class selection/election process works for first year and second year MBAs? I am trying to gauge how many of the courses are elected and how many are required.

SeewanLamLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:15:59 PM)
Linda, what attracted me most to London Business School is its diversity and school culture. I wanted to be in an environment where I can learn from people from all over the world. So far the school has exceeded my expectations in both learning experience and career opportunities.

juju (Apr 7, 2008 1:16:22 PM)
Zoe: Is it true that it's better to have a gap year before applying for MBA - than to be working in "not so high profile job" .. will it weigh your score down just because you're not working in the big company?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:16:38 PM)
Hi Anna. GMAT is an important factor, but just as a strong GMAT does not guarantee an interview, a weaker GMAT does not rule you out if the rest of your application is strong. The range for the MiF is currently 620 - 790 and the mean is 705. It may be a bit higher in the 4th stage.

Quant Finance (Apr 7, 2008 1:17:25 PM)
Peter: I understand MiF is tailored for finance guys. How do industry (especially I-banks) regard MiF relative to MBA at LBS?

andrew (Apr 7, 2008 1:17:38 PM)
Thank you, Zoë.

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:17:40 PM)
Juju - we accept candidates who work in all types of industry and organization, so you shouldn't worry about this. Your career path should show progression in terms of your own personal development, even if that means you have moved from a 'blue chip' to a smaller firm/start up.

Orhan (Apr 7, 2008 1:17:55 PM)
Zoe: Hello I'm from Azerbaijan. My name is Orhan. I want to ask which is priority choosing the persons in MBA?

kals (Apr 7, 2008 1:18:15 PM)
David: Hi, How good are the placements in brand management/advertising industry? I am presently a product marketing manager with around 7 yrs of work experience. Is the work permit a problem in London?

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:18:31 PM)
LBA_Aspirant2010: If you are on the waitlist and you have a significant update in your professional or personal profile, please send thorough details to your regional representative and they will ensure this is added to your file for review by the Admissions Committee.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 1:18:39 PM)
Helen and Peter: do you see any industries as being particularly active in recruiting LBS graduates and interns?

Lily (Apr 7, 2008 1:19:04 PM)
Amy: My doubt is regarding financing the MBA. How exactly does finance need busters work? Are they open for international candidates?

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:19:30 PM)
Orhan - my answer to Sumit shows the main factors that we look at when reviewing an application. None of these things - work experience, academics, or soft skills - take precedence over any other. We have a holistic approach to applications - we look at everything you've done.

Ivaylo Dimitrov (Apr 7, 2008 1:19:44 PM)
Zoe: I would like to know just how strict is the "two year work experience" requirement? By the time I would like to apply (for academic year 2009/10) I would have 15 months of experience. Would that make me eligible to apply? Thank you.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:19:55 PM)
QuantFinance: recruiters look at the MiF and MBA equally - what's important to them is the School's reputation, the quality of the faculty and the programmes, and the quality of the students we select.

MG7164 (Apr 7, 2008 1:20:10 PM)
Peter: I understand the average student in the MIF program has 5-6 years of work experience. I also see that the minimum is two years. In order to gain acceptance after 2-3 years of work experience, does that entail the applicant must have extraordinary qualifications in relation to other applicants?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:20:18 PM)
Hi Ivaylo - I have already answered this!

DavidMorrisLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:20:24 PM)
Hi Kals, we having very strong relationships with companies recruiting in the FMCG, Internet and Media sectors looking to recruiting Brand Manager/adverting roles. We also have strong student clubs focused on Marketing, Media and Industry that will hold various events looking at that area. In terms of work permits we have relationships with law firms who help students with their work permit applications.

Lily (Apr 7, 2008 1:20:36 PM)
David: I have a non-finance background and plan to go for a career switch through the MBA.. Given that I have no background in finance at all, how difficult would that be for me to find a finance job post MBA?

wsfuva (Apr 7, 2008 1:21:12 PM)
Anthony: Is their any specific reasons you chose the 1 year MiF program over 1-year MBA or accelerated MBA programs at other school? What are the advantages of doing a program focused on finance?

vishalgoswami (Apr 7, 2008 1:21:26 PM)
@Geetu and Varun: How would you describe the pace of the course?

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:21:33 PM)
Ivaylo Dimitrov - it is not a 'strict' requirement, but we believe that 2 years is a good minimum to ensure that you would make a significant contribution to the MBA classroom. There are always exceptions, so if you believe that your 15 months of experience has adequately prepared you to make an equal contribution as peers with much more experience, then you are very welcome to apply.

HelenGreenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:21:36 PM)
Linda, finance is always strong at London Business School with 46% of last year's MBAs going into a finance role post-graduation. 31% of our graduates went into industry and 23% into consulting. Our top recruiters last year were Barclays, Booz Allen Hamilton, Mckinsey, Lehman Brothers, Deutsche, Google and BP.. we have strong relationships with top firms across the finance, industry and consulting sectors.

rolinstn (Apr 7, 2008 1:22:05 PM)
David & Helen: Does anyone have insight into a post MBA career in real estate - banking, development, consulting - and LBS strengths in preparing students for this path?

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:22:07 PM)
Hey Vishal, I am doing MiF. Are you asking about MiF or MBA.

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:22:07 PM)
Lily: There are many students in my class as well as earlier batches who have moved from non-finance to a finance career. You are of course competing with the experts in finance, but opportunities are abound.

DavidMorrisLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:22:10 PM)
Hi Lily, we have students with non-finance roles who will go into areas such as retail finance and some finance roles within industry. This can benefit from conducting your summer internship in these roles.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:22:43 PM)
Hi Ivaylo - perhaps I should expand my reply. Experience is not a matter on months: it's about depth and quality. More experience generally means that you will benefit more, and contribute more. Your academic background, motivation and commitment are also very important.

Sachin (Apr 7, 2008 1:22:46 PM)
Zoe: How many students opt for Entrepreneurship and how many successfully start their own business? What kind of help will I get in building my business plan and conduct a mock? What would be the advantage of considering LBS for Entrepreneurship over other B-Schools?

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:22:50 PM)
Wsfuva, LBS doesn’t really offer a one-year MBA except for the Sloan program. I did consider INSEAD with its 1-year program but since I really wanted to focus on finance I didn't want to spend part of that precious year on other topics. Plus I knew I wanted to work in London after graduation so from a recruiting perspective LBS just made the most sense. Plus it has a reputation for the best finance faculty in the world.

ana (Apr 7, 2008 1:23:07 PM)
For Amy: I applied for the MBA 2010 in February but did not get an answer yet. Does that mean I was not accepted?

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:23:35 PM)
Mackenzie: First year is required core courses to give all students a solid grounding in general management theory as well as practice. This then rolls out to our elective portfolio where students can choose from a wide range of subjects where they are learning at a more sophisticated level. Students need to pass a minimum of 9 electives in order to be awarded their MBA but they can choose to take up to a maximum of 12. Please take a look at our website for more detailed information on the programme's core and elective courses: http://www.london.edu/mba/programme.html .

Mackenzie (Apr 7, 2008 1:24:13 PM)
Amy: Can you tell me when your next visit to the US will be - specifically NYC? I noticed you are having an EMBA event tonight at Columbia.

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:24:13 PM)
Vishalgoswami: I would say that you decide the pace of the course. The MBA is not just about academics but also an overall experience in terms if your participation in club activities and other competitions on campus. Also the course provides you the flexibility of completing in 15-21 months depending upon your preferences.

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:24:32 PM)
Wsfuva, the advantages of a program focused on finance really depends on your career choice after graduation, but keep in mind finance is a very broad subject and includes corporate finance, markets, etc. Plus we are actually able to take a few courses that are not so finance based, like Strategy for MiFs which I took last term and found extremely good.

Lily (Apr 7, 2008 1:24:52 PM)
David: Does LBS incubate entrepreneurial ventures?

ana (Apr 7, 2008 1:24:56 PM)
To Helen: I meant with the credit crunch, how is that affecting your job market?

DavidMorrisLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:24:59 PM)
Hi Rolinstn, we have relationships with a growing number of companies in Real Estate ranging across development through to Private Equity. The student Clubs within these areas (i.e. PE, Finance, Consulting and Real Estate) will run various work shops to help train students on different aspects of working in those sectors. Career Services will also run workshops to assist students in getting into these roles.

wsfuva (Apr 7, 2008 1:25:08 PM)
Anthony: Other than the time factor (1yr compared to 2 years), what were other factors that you chose the MiF program over MBA?

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:25:29 PM)
Sachin - 80% of our students will choose to do at least one entrepreneurship elective. We also have an Entrepreneurship core course for all MBA students, which culminates in a trade fair attended by 'Angels'. There is also the option of the Entrepreneurship Summer School between the first and second year where you work with a faculty mentor on your business plan, pitching skills etc. London has the advantage because of its location - more access to PPE and VC than anywhere else in the world at the moment. 5% of last year's graduating class set up their own venture post-grad, but many more will do this 3 or 4 years down the line (once their loans are paid off!).

DavidMorrisLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:26:00 PM)
Hi Lily, the school runs a summer entrepreneurial school where students get the opportunity to work on new ventures with professionals from the start-up and VC sectors.

Sumit (Apr 7, 2008 1:26:10 PM)
Zoe: how much emphasis does LBS give to diversity in the class? I mean do I have better chance in case I have a much more diverse portfolio than another applicant with similar GMAT and academic profile?

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:26:19 PM)
WSFUVA, The main factors were time and of course cost (including opportunity cost). I am 29 and have 6 years work experience so for me I didn't want to be out of the job market for 2 years. If I was doing this when I was younger (i.e. 24 or 25) then perhaps a 2-year program would be more suitable.

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:26:37 PM)
Vishalgoswami, MiF is fast paced program. Though you get breaks between the terms, during the terms one is kept busy with lots of group as well as individual assignments and readings. Plus there are lots on events happening on campus - professional as well as social. Also, one factor is the number and nature of electives you choose.

Marjonie (Apr 7, 2008 1:27:19 PM)
Peter: With respect to MBA v. MiF, aside from verticals, are there differences with respect to admissions (one is more/less competitive)?

DB (Apr 7, 2008 1:27:29 PM)
Helen: I understand that for the MiF's, the Milkround is tough going. If so, how do the MiF's generally get placements?

annakool1009 (Apr 7, 2008 1:27:54 PM)
Peter : thanks!

Sumit (Apr 7, 2008 1:27:56 PM)
That's great Zoe, thanks a ton!

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:28:02 PM)
Mackenzie - Our next event in the US will take place in September this year. Please keep an eye on our website for further information on events happening worldwide. You can also sign-up to these events via our website: http://www.london.edu/programmes/informationsessions/global_usacanada.html .

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:28:03 PM)
Sumit - diversity is important to our students' learning experience so we are proud of our international classroom, but we don't use quotas in the admissions process. The more diverse your own experiences have been, e.g. working abroad, the more impressive your profile will be.

TINAR (Apr 7, 2008 1:28:13 PM)
Good evening everybody. Amy , my questions are about reapplications: 1. I applied last year and was invited to reapply to LBS again. Later I received feedback asking me to wait a couple of years but I strongly feel that I have gained valuable experience in the last 15 months and I plan to apply in Round 4 this year. Would I be harming my chances to get in to the school if I apply in 1 year which is not in line with the feedback provided?? Question 2: If my aspirations have changed(increased) as a result of getting closer to my earlier targets earlier than I expected, my essays would not be totally in line with my essays of last year. Would this be read as being "No Focus" by the Admissions team?

hopefulforR3 (Apr 7, 2008 1:29:02 PM)
Hi Geetu - do you have any suggestions for Indian candidates coming from IT background ? I believe this is a big pool of candidates... so any particular aspect in the application that might be of interest to the AdComs... please suggest.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:29:14 PM)
Hi Marjonie The MiF and the MBA are equally competitive in terms of work experience, academic background etc. Finance experience is a requirement for the MiF where it is not for the MBA.

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:29:19 PM)
Hello Tinar

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 1:29:22 PM)
Students: You’re all active in a number of different extra-curricular activities. How do you find the time, and could you tell us a little about them?

HelenGreenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:30:40 PM)
Hi Ana, this year the finance recruitment has remained competitive - all the top banks continue to come to campus to recruit for Summer and full time roles. We have expanded our portfolio of recruiters to include more private equity, asset management and hedge funds as well lots of exciting finance opportunities within industry.

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:30:51 PM)
DerivativesGuy - not necessarily. When we ask you about international experience, this can be travel you have taken for personal reasons. Alternatively, it can mean times when you have worked with teams of people who are not from your home country. It is definitely important that you at least have a commitment to gaining an international perspective, even if you haven't had a great deal of experience outside your home country, as 'global' is key to the London experience.

MG7164 (Apr 7, 2008 1:31:05 PM)
Helen: With LBS’ great reputation globally, do banks and other investment firms in Asia (specifically China) recruit MIF students?

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:31:09 PM)
Hi hopeful: there are a lot of students with IT background in our class. the key is to answer the following questions when making your application: Why you? Why MBA/LBS? As long as you can integrate the 2 you are good.

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:31:15 PM)
Linda, honestly it is difficult to find the time in the MiF Program, but with good time management skills there are certainly plenty of opportunities. I am involved with a few sporting activities (tennis, softball) which are quite flexible so if you are too busy to go one week its not an issue. There are also lots of events (dances, casino nights, guest speakers, etc) which you can either just attend or if you really want to get involved be on the organizing committees.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 1:31:50 PM)
AH, my personal advice would be to take a couse to improve your quant skills, show you can do the math, and then apply. This is a competitive process.

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:32:18 PM)
Linda, having missed upon the extra-curricula’s while working in the last jobs, I want to make the most of my student life. That's a big motivation. Plus I interact with lots of students from other courses in these activities which adds to the overall LBS experience. So, its a tradeoff with the time that I devote on academics and it pays off !!

DB (Apr 7, 2008 1:32:21 PM)
Peter: Do most students achieve their financing needs just through the HSBC loan program? If not, what other loan programs are available?

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:32:45 PM)
Tinar- regarding reapplying. The best thing is to reapply when you feel that you are ready both in terms of personal approach as well as how your professional experience so far can contribute to the class room and study group experience. So, really this is going to be quite a personal decision for you in terms of when you think the time is right for you as an individual. We shall certainly make offers to suitable candidates who apply in both Stages 3 and 4 of this year's application pool. However, as Zoe has mentioned earlier, we have received a significant increase in MBA applications this year.

annakool1009 (Apr 7, 2008 1:33:08 PM)
Geetu/Varun : Do Indian students need to accompany the GMAT scores with Toefel?

SeewanLamLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:33:16 PM)
Linda, the amount of time you put into club activities are entirely up to you, I am on the executive committee in both the industry club and marketing club. I spend about 3-4 hours every week organizing different events and planning future events for the clubs. I also work very closely with career services to bring more industry companies on campus throughout the year, so there is really no limit in how much you can do.

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:33:42 PM)
Linda, I agree with Varun. the extra-curricular activities is what make the whole experience more rewarding. Plus it enables you to develop the long-lasting relationships / networks with your colleagues. I try and be active in both professional and social clubs.

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:33:46 PM)
Ah - if your quant score is low on your GMAT, then we may note it as an issue of concern but it wouldn't stop your application from being short-listed if everything else was good. As Linda says however, this is a competitive year so if you can retest, then maybe you should. Good luck with it!

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 1:33:49 PM)
Seewan (and actually all the students) what is your favorite extra-curricular activity?

hopefulforR3 (Apr 7, 2008 1:33:55 PM)
Thanks Zoe... Another question... I was advised by my friends to apply early. But as I wanted to improve my GMAT score, I was forced to apply in R3. Does the AdCom feel that the candidate is not much interested if he doesn't apply in R1 ?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:34:10 PM)
Hi DB - many people opt for the HSBC scheme but we list other options athttp://www.london.edu/mif/feesandfinancing.html .

annakool1009 (Apr 7, 2008 1:34:16 PM)
Peter : Is it true that the possibility of availing a waiver of fees/scholarship reduces in the 4th round for international students ?

HelenGreenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:34:19 PM)
DB, The full-time recruitment milkround starts two weeks after the MiFs arrive on campus. For this reason, many chose to defer their job search until the second term to allow themselves time to evaluate where their interests lie. Many are also over-qualified for associate level roles so prefer to wait for more senior opportunities later in the year. On average about 20% of our MiF students get offers during the milkround. Last year 96% of our MiFs had secured offers within 3 months of graduation. For more details of where they chose to go post-graduation, download our MiF Employment report at http://www.london.edu/recruiters.html .

Quant Finance (Apr 7, 2008 1:34:36 PM)
Varun, would you like to share how your trading experience helps in your current MiF program?

Lily (Apr 7, 2008 1:35:08 PM)
Thank you David.

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:35:20 PM)
hopefulforR3 - not at all. There are many reasons why candidates choose to apply in later stages and that is after all why we run a 4 stage process. R3 is a valid stage and we take as much time to consider these applications as we do for the ones in R1!

maria (Apr 7, 2008 1:35:39 PM)
Zoe: thank you Amy...but one more thing: How can you define leadership potential drive and ambition? Does it always show when there is no in person contact when scanning through an application? A strong cover letter may tell for instance?

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:35:39 PM)
Annakool: I did not take the Toefl. But I explained in my application that my education was in English language and English was the medium of communication in my work place.

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:35:42 PM)
Linda, favorite extra-curricular activity has not actually happened yet, its the Summer Ball which is in July and is the biggest social event of the year. I am on the organizing committee so am having a great time working on planning the entertainment and other activities. I also enjoy practicing with the tennis team each Friday afternoon.

vishalgoswami (Apr 7, 2008 1:36:44 PM)
Thanks Varun. Would you know any folks with pure IT experience in your class? How are they coping with the courseware? Would you say that they feel a significant gap between them and the folks who come from pure Finance background?

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:37:03 PM)
Hey QF !! I had one year of experience working on FX derivatives for a corporate. It helps me a lot in terms of looking for specific inputs that I need from the course, in course selection. I have some questions or challenges from my work life that I seek answers to during the courses. Also, the courses being 10 weeks only, it definitely gives me a head start in understanding.

MG7164 (Apr 7, 2008 1:37:04 PM)
Peter: Does the MIF program consider community service and other experiences unrelated to work ?

Sumit (Apr 7, 2008 1:37:19 PM)
Amy: A very basic question. Though its very important. If I go for a 1 year MBA in LBS, will I be able to support my MBA all by myself? And what will be the payback time for the loans I’ll avail from the banks?

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:37:31 PM)
Maria - your essays should reflect your leadership potential and ambition, through your post-grad goals and examples of team-work and leadership (essay Q3). If you've written them and they don't, then make sure they do!

Lily (Apr 7, 2008 1:37:46 PM)
Zoe, if you do not have enough work experience to substantiate the reason to pursue an MBA but can show great interest in it, would that be considered a weak application?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:38:25 PM)
Hi Vishal : no-one in the MiF class has pure IT experience. IT people we accept will also have finance experience (e.g. IT software development in a finance organization)

SeewanLamLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:38:34 PM)
Linda, I really enjoy working for the different professional clubs on campus, it gives me the opportunity to practice my project management skills and I also get to interact with many students from different programs. Aside from that, I also really enjoy attending the different social events on campus, there is always a party going on somewhere and it's great to get to know your classmates in a fun and relaxing setting.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 1:38:48 PM)
Folks, realize that this is a competitive process. Thus all your application are read in the context of an applicant pool. The person with the quant background or with the experience may be the app read before or after yours. You do not apply in a vacuum.

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:38:49 PM)
Div: We find recommendations very useful when reviewing applications as they can give us an idea of your character, your strengths and weaknesses, team working abilities, leadership skills etc. There is an option to tell us that your current employer is not aware of your application. This way, we are aware of why you do not have a reference from your current employer (i.e.. it's not simply because you are a bad employee!). In terms of who else to ask, try someone who you have worked closely with and who knows you well. Also, the more recent, the better. Some candidates ask for recommendations from clients, as well.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:39:24 PM)
MG7164: yes we consider community service etc as part of the "background picture" but not as part of your work experience.

ana (Apr 7, 2008 1:39:29 PM)
Peter, if recruiters don't care if we have a MIF or MBA why do you not accept non financial background in your MIF?

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:39:39 PM)
Lily - it would be a weak application if we did not think you had enough experience to make the most of the programme and also make a valid contribution in the classroom, regardless of how passionate you might be about wanting to do the MBA. Enthusiasm is important though and, equally, having lots of great experience will not make up for showing a lack of passion for the MBA and our School in your application.

Gavi (Apr 7, 2008 1:40:04 PM)
Amy: Hi, I am waitlisted at second round. Do you accept additional documents and materials to support my candidacy?

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:40:41 PM)
Linda, the wine and cheese club is my favorite. I enjoy tasting new wines and experience different cultures. I also make some great friends in the process.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:40:52 PM)
Ana: recruiters expect MiFs to have previous experience - this is part of the counterbalance for it being a one year rather than two year programme.

vishalgoswami (Apr 7, 2008 1:40:54 PM)
@Geetu: Thanks. You said earlier that people with non-finance background are competing with finance experts ... I was wondering if the course runs at a pace that gets everyone at the same level by graduation ...

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:41:06 PM)
Sumit: We do not offer a one year MBA programme at London Business School. However, our 2 year programme is flexible. You can now choose to complete in 15, 18 or 21 months.

anon2 (Apr 7, 2008 1:41:08 PM)
Peter: Who is LBS competition on MiF?

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:41:47 PM)
Vishalgoswami, There are 2-3 students that came from IT background. However, they've been working on financial services project for last 2-3 years and had developed good understanding of the business side of their projects. However, they definitely need to put extra efforts especially in accounting related courses. But, with a lot of group work involved in the courses, they have opportunities to pick up the basics from there peers who have the relevant background. However, I would suggest to you that you should start developing your finance knowledge and other soft skills.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:41:52 PM)
Sorry Anon2 - can you expand on your question - I did not understand it

wsfuva (Apr 7, 2008 1:42:17 PM)
Anthony and David: You mentioned time and cost as issues. That is my situation as well. I am 27 with IB/hedge fund experience. Does the MiF program provide solid broad-based experience for people aspiring to go in private-equity or non-quantitative hedge funds?

hopefulforR3 (Apr 7, 2008 1:42:22 PM)
Thanks a ton Geetu.... I hope the AdCom finds me good enough...

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:42:26 PM)
Vishalgoswani: there are tutorial sessions in course in Corporate Finance which are optional. This provides students with non-finance background to come up to speed.

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:42:42 PM)
Sumit: (2nd part of question): the HSBC loan will need to be paid back within 7 years and our graduates need to start paying it off within 6 months of graduating. For further details, please visit: http://www.london.edu .

Quant Finance (Apr 7, 2008 1:42:44 PM)
Thanks Varun. Also, along with work experience, how much it weighs upon how many promotions one has achieved. Currently the firm I work has very few levels so I only have one promotion as of now and another might be on its way soon....does only one promotion looks negative on 2 years of work ex?

vishalgoswami (Apr 7, 2008 1:42:49 PM)
Thanks Geetu and Varun !

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:42:49 PM)
Hopeful: All the best.

humanity (Apr 7, 2008 1:43:24 PM)
Peter: Sorry if my question is not very relevant to what's been discussed here. Just joined.--- for part-time MiF. Did it happen that the employer was not happy to see their employee taking such good program for fear that their marketability will increase and their likelihood of leaving the company will increase as well? So the employer don't say no and not willing to support in terms of time if sometimes leaving earlier is needed. Don't know how others may deal with this delicate situation.

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:44:08 PM)
Wsfuva, yes definitely, private equity is a big part of the course if you want it to be, and I think last year around 10% of graduates went into private equity. There are a few really good courses focused just on PE and venture capital, I took one last term and it was taught by real professionals who worked for 3i, Apax, etc and we did case studies each week that focused on different issues. We had top notch guest speakers as well.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 1:44:34 PM)
Students: Who are you favorite professors? What have been your best classes?

Tk-QuantJock (Apr 7, 2008 1:45:06 PM)
Amy - what % of your MBA class is from the financial services industry ?

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:45:15 PM)
Annakool1009 - any postgraduate qualifies you have will contribute to your academic profile, so will carry some weight in this area. It helps if the courses have been relevant to your professional development.

Al (Apr 7, 2008 1:45:33 PM)
To Zoe: I intend to apply to the MBA programme in 2-3 yrs time. At that stage I would have 4-5 yrs work experience. Could you please elaborate on how you gauge leadership potential from an individual's work experience.

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:45:39 PM)
QuantFinance: I would just like to add that it is not the promotions that are important but increase in responsibilities which may be demonstrated through increase in scale of activities / larger teams. They just want to know how well you progressed.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:45:40 PM)
Hi Humanity: this has never happened in my experience - good employers see our programmes as a way of developing and rewarding talent. We would suggest though that if you are worried about this you get admission first then use this to leverage discussion with your employer about their support. Employer support is vital for part time study due to the time commitment.

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:46:03 PM)
Gavi: Well done on getting this far, it has been a very competitive year and being placed on the waitlist shows you have a strong profile. As I previously mentioned, if you feel you have a significant update in your professional or personal profile that you feel will add weight to your application, then please send this through to your regional contact and they will ensure it is added to your file for the next waitlist review.

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:46:22 PM)
Hey QF, I would say that one promotion in 2 years is not that bad. It's good !! I would suggest that you mention the roles that you handled and responsibilities that you had in last two years. Rather than the promotion in the designation, the depth of your professional experience would create more impact.

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:46:25 PM)
Linda, favorite professors so far have been for the private equity class I took last term (Martyn Williams) and the strategy class (Brandon Lee). Hard to say which class has been my favorite since they focus on different things, but again I would say Financing the Entrepreneurial business (which is basically a PE class) and strategy. As you can see there is a strong link between favorite professor and favorite class!!

andrew (Apr 7, 2008 1:46:32 PM)
Amy: what percentage of current students are over the age of thirty?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:46:33 PM)
Hi Annakool - having a post grad degree can be an advantage. There is no specific advantage to this being a non-UK post grad.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 1:46:41 PM)
David: How did the class of 2009 fare in the internship market?

rolinstn (Apr 7, 2008 1:47:28 PM)
Thanks, David. Again regarding real estate - would most career prospects be available through active searches with the career services office or can we expect campus recruiting to increase in the next few years?

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:47:30 PM)
Al - we would look for evidence of projects, people or budgets that you may have managed. A lot of it depends on the industry you're working in, as different careers develop differently. We would definitely want to see that you have progressed in the 4-5 years and a strong reference from your current or former manager would also help.

Garfield (Apr 7, 2008 1:47:44 PM)
Peter: what is the acceptance ratio for the Master in Finance? And what would you say are the main factor causing exclusion: poor grades, lack of relevant work experience, etc?

DavidMorrisLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:47:47 PM)
Linda, we are still collating the statistics for 2009’s classes with plenty more companies promoting their jobs at the school for both permanent and internship roles.

ana (Apr 7, 2008 1:47:58 PM)
To students: How is the study environment at LBS? I hear is very competitive, do you feel that competition has a negative effect?

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:48:01 PM)
Linda, Stephen Schaefer has been my favorite so far. The course he taught - Foundations of Finance - would really go a long way in my understanding of continuous time finance.

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:48:01 PM)
Tk-QuantJock - approximately 30% of our MBA 2009 class came from a finance background.

vishalgoswami (Apr 7, 2008 1:48:25 PM)
@Helen Green: Pardon me if this hits a new low ... but what exactly is a "milkround"?

hopefulforR3 (Apr 7, 2008 1:48:29 PM)
Thanks a ton Zoe... I was a little worried about this... thanks again.

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:48:30 PM)
I have largely enjoyed all my courses - I have learnt new things and enjoyed them all. At the same time, I would say Prof Cornelli (Corporate Finance) is my favorite - She is brilliant in terms of knowledge as well as her ability to keep the class going.

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:48:48 PM)
HopefulforR3 - I hope it goes well for you!

Div (Apr 7, 2008 1:49:00 PM)
Amy: I have an IT background and am of Indian descent. It is widely believed that Indian IT applicants form the biggest pool of candidates and as such have a higher GMAT cutoff. For e.g. is average GMAT is 690, is it true that an Indian IT applicants should have somewhere north of 720 to be considered favorably?

Sumit (Apr 7, 2008 1:49:03 PM)
Hi Linda. Can I save this chat in order to go through it later?

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:49:12 PM)
Ana, I actually don't find the environment competitive at all. Unlike undergraduate degrees people are not as focus on grades, plus a large portion of the work is group work so its hard to be that competitive since you are usually in several different groups that are always changing each term.

SeewanLamLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:49:18 PM)
Linda, my two favorite classes so far are finance taught by Professor Francesca Cornelli and Decision& Risk analysis by Professor Bert de Reyk. Coming from a language background, I never had the chance to learn about these subjects, even though they were very challenging for me, I learned a lot. Besides, both professors are brilliant!

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 1:49:24 PM)
To my knowledge you can't save it, but we have set the chat to save a transcript. We will post the transcript in about a week.

DavidMorrisLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:49:28 PM)
Rolinstn, a lot of the real estate roles are taken via networking, although we have had companies such as Tishman Speyer, Jones Lang LaSalle, Westfield, and Macquarie come to campus to recruit. The Real Estate club will also bring speakers to campus which give a great opportunity to network.

Al (Apr 7, 2008 1:50:00 PM)
Zoe: Would there be an MBA marketing event in Amsterdam this calendar year?

Annick (Apr 7, 2008 1:50:21 PM)
David and Helen: have you had cases of people coming to do their MBA from continental Europe and later going back to work in their home countries (I mean specifically courtiers like Belgium, France, and Luxembourg)? I'm wondering if the MBA can also enhance career perspectives of such people (without necessarily moving to London or another metropolis to work after the degree)?

HelenGreenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:50:43 PM)
Hi Vishalgoswami, the milkround is what we call the on-campus recruitment - the full time process in the autumn and Summer internship in the spring.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:50:48 PM)
Hi Garfield - as we offer to review CVs and put a lot of work into encouraging only the strongest applicants to apply, the acceptance ratio really does not tell you very much. The MiF is as selective as our MBA or the MBA at any other top School. In this scenario, it's not about what rules weaker candidates out - it's about what leads us to select the best candidates from a very competitive pool.

DavidMorrisLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:51:00 PM)
Rolinstn. We also have a number of industry companies recruiting for their real estate divisions such as Tesco Property. One of our MBA2007 students is also working in the real estate division of Google.

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:51:33 PM)
Ana: I think, any good MBA education should be competitive. You are after all the best of the lot, with great experiences and knowledge. But at the same time, its highly collaborative - students help each other be it academics, recruitment or any other thing. I just love the environment.

Sachin (Apr 7, 2008 1:51:43 PM)
Geetu and Varun: 3) Not an excuse but due to my busy work schedule I hardly seem to find time to prepare well for GMAT and score good. Can a low GMAT(590) compensate with my 9 yrs good experience in International market?

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:51:43 PM)
Al - we will run an information session in Amsterdam some time between Oct-Dec 08. By the way, you may also be interested to know that half of our current 1st year class are coming to Amsterdam this month for their Ops and Tech Mgmt field-trip (they're checking out the flower markets!) The rest of the class are off to Leipzig to meet with BMW.

DB (Apr 7, 2008 1:52:08 PM)
Peter: Under what circumstances would you agree to defer a student's admission until the following year?

SeewanLamLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:52:11 PM)
Ana, I think the school environment is more collaborative than competitive. We are always working in groups for most of our classes and everyone is extremely helpful, which is what I love about the school.

DavidMorrisLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:52:44 PM)
Annick: We do have companies recruiting from Benelux such as Milicom and Amazon (European HQ in Luxembourg). Companies in these regions do value the MBA and will recruit from the school.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:53:01 PM)
DB - we would agree to defer a place if there was a good professional or business reason to do so. It is decided on a case by case basis.

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:53:08 PM)
Hi Andrew: I do not know what % of our students are over 30. Our average MBA student age is 28 but the range is 22-36. We consider the quality of your work experience and what you have managed to achieve in that time. It is more about what you have to contribute and bring to the class than how old you are.

Marco2008 (Apr 7, 2008 1:53:12 PM)
Amy, I read that the number of offers in R1, which was already high last year, increased again this year, and this will consequently impact the other rounds. Are the people in R3 and R4 going to be penalized in their chances of obtaining an offer?

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:53:41 PM)
Sachin: The MBA office looks at the overall application and a weak GMAT score may not be a disadvantage if your profile is attractive.

Garfield (Apr 7, 2008 1:53:42 PM)
Helen: Hi, are most MiF graduates recruited for associate position in funds and I-banks or are many overqualified for that? What is the typical role and level of employment after graduation: associate, senior associate, VP... ?

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:54:09 PM), It depends on the electives you choose. I have Fixed Income Securities, Option & Futures, Credit Risk, Financial Engineering & Risk Management et al. I would say these courses cover a lot that's been taught in the area of Computational Finance around the world. Plus there are some electives in form of PHD seminars which deal with the specific mathematical tools that are required to handle exotic derivative products. So, I would say, quant coverage is comprehensive.

AH (Apr 7, 2008 1:54:13 PM)
To a student who is interested: How do you think LBS compares to Said on issues of sustainability? In doing my research on business schools in general I have been fairly shocked by the lack of emphasis on this, given that Climate Change is without doubt the biggest thing happening in the world economy...

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:54:41 PM)
Civil Engineer - we accept a lot of candidates from non-traditional business backgrounds (doctors, lawyers, ex-military and plenty of engineers) It is one of the strengths of our diversity as we believe that these people bring plenty of valuable transferable skills to the classroom. Management of any projects - technical or business - is relevant but a lot would depend on your goals. Have you researched the career you want to switch into? Will your lack of business background be a challenge and, if so, how would you impress recruiters?

AH (Apr 7, 2008 1:54:47 PM)
Zoe - In terms of the essays, do you favor writing that is 'professional' and 'businesslike', or is it a breath of fresh air when people are expressive and show a bit of flair?

Lily (Apr 7, 2008 1:55:46 PM)
Geetu, how are you able to cope with the high living expense at London? Does that restrict your student life in anyway?

vishalgoswami (Apr 7, 2008 1:56:04 PM)
Thanks Helen.

rolinstn (Apr 7, 2008 1:56:07 PM)
Good info David, thanks!

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:56:16 PM)
Marco2008, hello! Firstly remember that offers don't always convert to acceptances. Secondly, by Stage 3 and 4 the competition has naturally got a bit tougher but this certainly doesn't mean that you do not have a chance. Our waitlist system ensures that there are always going to be spaces available at each stage. We want the best 300, not the first 300!

Gavi (Apr 7, 2008 1:56:28 PM)
Zoe: I heard that there are already more than 310 admitted students for class of 2010. I would like to know the yield of recent years and my chance to be admitted out of waitlist.

Tk-QuantJock (Apr 7, 2008 1:56:35 PM)
Amy - like all business schools I am sure LBS looks for leadership skills in the applicants. Can you tell us how LBS defines leadership?

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:56:43 PM)
Hey Sachin, I would say that it would have been so much more easier with a score around 650. However, given your exceptional work experience, you could still make a strong application.

Al (Apr 7, 2008 1:56:51 PM)
Peter: What is the ratio of accepted applications to those turned down?

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:57:15 PM)
AH - essays should reflect your personality, but to a suitable degree! You should definitely avoid being wacky, but you can tell us a story as it helps us to really get a picture of you and your goals. My best advice is to get a few friends and family members to vet your essays and give you their honest feeedback...

HelenGreenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:57:31 PM)
Hi Garfield, the majority of the MiFs are associate level, but some MiFs do have more experience and enter into senior associate or VP roles.

rolinstn (Apr 7, 2008 1:57:47 PM)
Students: did any of you have a gap in employment pre MBA? Committee: Is the optional essay #6 the best place to explain a gap in employment?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:58:22 PM)
Hi AI: we will call about 30% of applicants for interview, and admit about 70% of the people we call for interview. About 85% will accept our offer or defer

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:58:24 PM)
Lily: No doubt pound is expensive, but then it also depends upon your lifestyle. The most expensive is living cost,  especially near the school. But you can choose to live a little away or share.

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:58:25 PM)
Civil Engineer - by the way, we have some great scholarships for engineers so please do check out our financing pages: www.london.edu/mba/feesandfinancing.html

Quant Finance (Apr 7, 2008 1:58:26 PM)
Geetu: I work for portfolio strategies. All the guys, my juniors, myself or seniors keeps pitching strategies to handle our portfolio...so responsibilities seems same...its just the smarter performance guys get promoted to higher level....so in terms of responsibilities, its not much different.

TINAR (Apr 7, 2008 1:58:53 PM)
Thank you Amy.. could you please give me an insight on how you would read a slightly different yet more enhanced set of aspirations in my essays? Would it be read as No-focus? Or is it expected with reapplications?

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:59:17 PM)
I am in the MIF and I did have a gap of about 7 seven months as I moved from the US to London 4 years ago without a job. It was a great life experience in which I learned a lot about myself and did some volunteer work during this break, so I was able to explain it fully through my essays.

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:59:25 PM)
Lily: Also it is an issue mostly in the first year as your internship enables you to live through the 2nd year well.

Al (Apr 7, 2008 1:59:25 PM)
David: What percentage of your LBS MBA intake get summer placements? Or is it part of the MBA programmme?

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 1:59:54 PM)
Gavi - I'm not sure where you heard that figure but it's not right. It is very hard to advise you on your chances as everything depends on how many offered Stage 2 candidates accept their offers and also what applications come through in Stages 3 and 4.

AH (Apr 7, 2008 1:59:56 PM)
Students: For someone who has never studied economics before, how good an introduction does one get at LBS?

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:00:05 PM)
Tk-QuantJock - I cannot really say how we define leadership at London Business School, but I can tell you where and how we look for your leadership potential. Firstly this will be in your work experience; have you had the opportunity to lead a team? Or it may be demonstrated in extra-curricular activities such as sport and charity work, where you may have had the opportunity to lead. We can also look for your leadership abilities/potential in the references we receive for you from current/previous employers.

DavidMorrisLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:00:06 PM)
Hi Al, 100% of our MBAs will take a summer internship

wsfuva (Apr 7, 2008 2:00:16 PM)
Zoe: How does the admission committee view people who changed jobs quickly early in their career for better opportunities (2 jobs in 1.5 years) . 2004-2005 was such a good time that I switched twice for better options.

juju (Apr 7, 2008 2:00:27 PM)
Amy: I am wondering about being self-employed, is it a disadvantage? In this case, who will be the best to write letter of recommendations, besides your clients?

Sumit (Apr 7, 2008 2:00:38 PM)
Linda, that's great....do we need to register somewhere in order to receive the transcript? or any specific links?

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 2:01:19 PM)
No you don't need to register. You can check out Accepted's LBS Zone page and the link to it will be posted there as well as the Accepted blog at http://blog.accepted.com.

andrew (Apr 7, 2008 2:01:28 PM)
Thank you, Amy. Thirty is the new twenty four anyway...

annakool1009 (Apr 7, 2008 2:01:37 PM)
Peter/Zoe : If an applicant has appeared for GMAT 2- times to get the desired GMAT score, does it weaken the application ?

Lily (Apr 7, 2008 2:01:44 PM)
Thank you, Geetu.

Quant Finance (Apr 7, 2008 2:01:56 PM)
Peter/Varun: How does MiF admission committee looks at international education and work experience?

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:02:21 PM)
QuantFinance: I cant say much from what you have stated but maybe you can talk about the size of your portfolio, if it has grown or even the profile of your portfolio, if that has changed over time. How do you see yourself different from new joiners? What is the basis of allocating portfolios to new guys?

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:02:21 PM)
Wsfuva - if the options really were better, then of course we'll understand why you made the switches. You have the opportunity to comment on this in the application (Reason for Leaving Position), and can also add something in Optional Essay Q6 if you're worried about how it comes across.

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:02:56 PM)
TINAR: As long as you include a logical explanation for this change in career goal then I think that will be fine. We will be looking for evidence of how you have grown and developed over the past year or two so make sure you explain this clearly.

vishalgoswami (Apr 7, 2008 2:03:09 PM)
@ AnthonyRosen: What percentage of coursework would you say involves some form of group work? Could you give some examples please?

AH (Apr 7, 2008 2:03:15 PM)
Zoe: I am someone who has worked in three very diverse fields in my career to date. When it comes to references should I prioritize my most recent employer?

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:03:24 PM)
Andrew - I wholeheartedly agree!

SeewanLamLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:03:25 PM)
AH, I had never studied business nor economics before the MBA, so I was a bit overwhelmed at the start of the program. But professors and the MBA program office are aware that there are many students without a business background and all classes are designed with that in mind. Obviously, the pace of the program means you will have to put in more time than others who have studied that subject before but it's definitely manageable.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:03:33 PM)
Hi Annkool: we will consider your highest GMAT score. We apply the principle that you can have a bad day and get a bad score, but you can't score higher than your ability.

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:04:03 PM)
Andrew: Ditto!

Garfield (Apr 7, 2008 2:04:03 PM)
David and Helen: Thanks for the previous answers! About the MiF, would you say there are banks or other employers who prefer to hire MiF rather than MBA graduates, or vice versa, or do the two programs provide comparable opportunities to those interested in finance, and not, say, consulting, marketing, etc.?

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:04:11 PM)
AH: In the MBA program we have 2 core courses in economics - micro eco and international macro eco. There is also a portfolio of electives in economics if you are really interested.

Jack (Apr 7, 2008 2:04:18 PM)
Amy: I read something from a few years ago that said that LBS was planning to construct some new facilities/buildings. Is that true? If so, has construction commenced yet?

DB (Apr 7, 2008 2:04:36 PM)
Varun and Anthony: How did you go about your job searches?

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:04:36 PM)
Vishalgoswami, The first term I would say 50% was group work but last term in my electives it was closer to 75%, it will depend on which electives you take. Examples range from weekly problem sets to term-long projects (i.e. in my strategy class I did a 20-page report in a group of 3 students that we worked on all term). Also in my PE class all of the work was in groups and consisted of reviewing case studies and doing valuations.

Sumit (Apr 7, 2008 2:04:39 PM)
Many thanks Linda.

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:04:54 PM)
DB I had done an exchange term at Copenhagen Business School and did a project for a Danish Company. I highlighted that experience. I assume, it was taken in a very positive manner. It shows how you adapt to different situations and have this ability to work with people from different cultures. A big plus, I guess.

Al (Apr 7, 2008 2:05:00 PM)
David and Helen: For the people who switch from industry to finance/consulting, can you indicate the level at which they join the mainstream I-banks or consulting firms?

annakool1009 (Apr 7, 2008 2:05:04 PM)
Thanks Peter.

Garfield (Apr 7, 2008 2:05:20 PM)
Peter: On the MiF: can we provide 3 references? If not, is it best to provide 1 professional and 1 academic (dissertation supervisor) or 2 professional ones?

vishalgoswami (Apr 7, 2008 2:05:25 PM)
Thanks Anthony.

TINAR (Apr 7, 2008 2:05:44 PM)
Thank you again, Amy. I look forward to submitting my application :)

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:05:59 PM)
Hi Jack - Amy is on another answer at the moment. We have been looking at adding to our campus, but not necessarily by constructing new buildings. At the moment, the campus is the same as ever.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 2:06:16 PM)
Peter, Zoe, and Amy: What advice would you give to applicants working towards your respective May 1 or 2 deadlines? Any advice for applicants planning to apply next year?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:06:37 PM)
Hi Garfield. You should provide two references in the online system, If you think a third reference will add value you should contact us for the soft copy form via mifadmissions@london.edu .

DavidMorrisLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:06:39 PM)
Al: individuals moving from the Industry sector will go in at an Associate level.

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:07:41 PM)
DB: I applied during the milk round (during the first term). Got couple of shortlists, couldn't make it to any of them. That ended in November. Since then, I have focused on my course. I would start looking again around May-June. This time, I would be contacting alumni and also some head hunters.

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:07:51 PM)
Juju: This will not be a disadvantage to you at all, we have a fair few entrepreneurs on our Programme and it really adds to the diversity of the class. Regarding recommenders, I think clients would be a good idea. However, other possibilities could be previous employers, suppliers (or people you deal with in a business environment) or academics references.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 2:08:14 PM)
Helen, David, Peter, Zoe, and Amy If someone is interested in investment banking or mergers and acquisitions, should that person apply for an MBA or an MiF? Or perhaps when should an applicant apply for one or the other?

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:08:44 PM)
Linda - for the MBA programme, candidates should just be working hard on their essays. These really are vital in convincing the AdCom that you are the right fit and caliber for the School. If you can visit campus and get a feel for the place, or contact some of our current students via email, that might also help with writing the essays.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:08:45 PM)
Hi Linda. If people plan to apply for our May deadline they should move fast and register for GMAT if they have not yet sat the test. For next year the best advise - for any school - is start your preparation as early as possible. Think about your essays. Contact your referees, Get your CV (resume) in good order.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 2:08:46 PM)
Students: What do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you?

HelenGreenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:08:54 PM)
Garfield, If you from a finance background and want to stay in Finance, you should consider both MBA and MiF. Employers consider MiFs for technical finance roles but the MBA have the advantage of the summer internship.

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:09:25 PM)
My job search is primarily based on the contacts that I have since I have worked in London for the past 4 years. Plus for me there is a very good chance that I will go back to my previous employer as technically I am just on a leave of absence from them and they very much want me back (however I have been able to secure a promotion and raise if I return so that just shows the benefit of the degree).

vishalgoswami (Apr 7, 2008 2:10:36 PM)
@all: What would be a good resource to research career options and career paths that MBAs and MiFs usually take?

Quant Finance (Apr 7, 2008 2:10:48 PM)
Thanks Varun!

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:11:45 PM)
Vishalgoswani: I think the MBA Employment report (on LBS website is a good source of information).

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:12:20 PM)
Hi Linda - as a general piece of advice if people aren't sure whether to choose the MiF or the MBA then almost by definition the MBA is the better choice as the curriculum is wider (all the MBA core courses and the full elective range). The MiF is an equally good choice for people from a finance background who want a "pure diet of finance".

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 2:12:30 PM)
I agree Geetu.

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:12:42 PM)
Vishal : Same for MiFs - Employment reports, Also if you can access the portal, it has the directory of where Alumni are working..

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 2:13:09 PM)

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 2:13:10 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Peter, Zoe, Amy, David, Helen, Geetu, Seewan, Varun and Anthony for giving of their time and joining us today.

SeewanLamLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:13:14 PM)
Linda, I think it's a good idea to take some time off before starting the program to think about your post MBA goal and what you want to get out of the program. The MBA is a very intensive and fast paced program, sometimes you almost can't find the time to just sit back and plan.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 2:13:23 PM)
Upcoming chats: Michigan Evening Program Apr. 15 IMD May 14! Good luck with your applications!

vishalgoswami (Apr 7, 2008 2:13:44 PM)
Thanks Geetu, Linda and Varun!

Gavi (Apr 7, 2008 2:13:47 PM)
Thank you very much, Amy and Zoe!

ZoeMcLoughlinLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:13:49 PM)
Yes, good luck everyone!

VarunGoyalLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:13:53 PM)
Good luck with the process !! MiF is the best !!

DB (Apr 7, 2008 2:13:55 PM)
Helen: In your experience, how difficult is it for a MiF to shift over to a different area of finance (e.g., someone with a corp. finance background moving to hedge funds or with an M&A background and getting a sales/trading job)?

DavidMorrisLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:13:57 PM)
Good luck everybody!

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:14:01 PM)
Thanks everyone and good luck with your applications!

AnthonyRosenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:14:02 PM)
Good luck to everyone! Hope this was of some help. Anthony.

SeewanLamLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:14:03 PM)
Thanks, good luck to everyone!

GeetuSharmaLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:14:21 PM)
Thank you everyone and all the best.

AmyHugoLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:14:22 PM)
It was a pleasure talking to you and best of luck with your applications!

wsfuva (Apr 7, 2008 2:14:57 PM)
What are the job search opportunities provided by career services for people from the U.S. who want to return to the U.S.?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:15:04 PM)
Just FYI, our next London Information Session is on 23 April http://www.london.edu/programmes/informationsessions.html

yogesh (Apr 7, 2008 2:16:00 PM)
I am interested in MiF, is it too late to apply for the May end deadline?

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 2:16:14 PM)
Yogesh, no.

HelenGreenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:16:23 PM)
Hi DB, students are able to move into different areas of finance depending on your experience and the transferable skills (e.g.. team working, leadership qualities) demonstrated on your CV and in interview.

HelenGreenLONDON (Apr 7, 2008 2:17:08 PM)
Thanks everyone

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2008 2:17:14 PM)
Good luck!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room