2009 MIT Sloan MBA Admissions Chat with Jennifer Burke Barba

2009 MIT Sloan MBA Admissions Chat with Jennifer Burke Barba

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Oct 7, 2008 12:01:07 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome all applicants to the MIT Sloan chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Sloan . To make a sound decision and to get accepted, you know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask the experts about this outstanding business school.

I also want to welcome our special guests: Jennifer Burke Barba, Assistant Director of MBA Admissions; Shauna Barry, Assistant Director MBA Admissions, Hassani Turner (Class of ‘2010), and Divya Jani (Class of '2010).

Hassani and Divya, I am going to provided some chat logistics information. As I am doing so, can you provide a brief bio telling us where you are from, what you did before coming to MIT, what you are involved in at MIT, and what you want to do after earning your MBA?

Thanks to everyone for joining.

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:02:51 PM)
Linda, before Sloan, I worked as an analyst in investment banking. I went to undergrad at Smith College. I was an Economics and Government major.

p123 (Oct 7, 2008 12:03:05 PM)
Jen: How will applying without a current job affect my chances of admissions?

Brian L. (Oct 7, 2008 12:03:17 PM)
Shauna: When do the interviews for Round I take place?

mba-fall09 (Oct 7, 2008 12:03:55 PM)
Hassani: I'm interested in learning more about marketing at Sloan. Can you talk a little bit about the strengths of the program?

cK (Oct 7, 2008 12:04:11 PM)
Hassani: Can you tell us more about the Sloan Innovation Period?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:04:20 PM)
Hi P123- We're looking at all of your experiences outside of the classroom when considering "work experience", so if you are currently not working, it's important for you to share with us what you've done in the past and what you're currently doing now.

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:04:21 PM)
Linda, I am currently participating in various organizations at Sloan. I am a member of the Social Enterprise Club (SEID) where we participate in various projects related to small businesses in developing countries. I am also in the entrepreneurship and innovation program, as well as participating in the 100K business plan competition. So many opportunities, so little time :)!

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:04:39 PM)
Brian, It takes approximately 6-8 weeks for the Professional Admissions Committee to review all applications (please note- students and alumni do not take part in this process). We anticipate interview invitations to go out through December and January.

Irshad (Oct 7, 2008 12:04:57 PM)
Shauna: Do you accept a transcript if one is registered with WES (an international transcript evaluation service)?

Nat (Oct 7, 2008 12:05:25 PM)
Hassani: What about the MIT Sloan program makes it stand apart from other top-rated MBA programs?

kev (Oct 7, 2008 12:05:55 PM)
Jen: Do the essays have to be work experience related or can they be about personal experiences?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:06:11 PM)
MBA-fall09, First year students get two options for an elective, marketing or finance. I am currently taking the finance elective.

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:06:24 PM)
Irshad, yes, we do accept transcripts from WES.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:06:25 PM)
Kev, essays can be about anything you think is relevant to your business school application.

ABC (Oct 7, 2008 12:06:38 PM)
Jen: Entrepreneurship is the flagship focus at MIT, but the number of grads that go into entrepreneurship is tiny..... why?

tria (Oct 7, 2008 12:06:53 PM)
Shauna: Do you encourage students without any work experience to apply?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:07:31 PM)
ABC, many of our students do actually pursue entrepreneurial things after graduation, but are also fully employed by companies that are able to pay them a salary.

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:07:45 PM)
Nat, in one word - entrepreneurship. MIT fosters a community of innovators and entrepreneurs. It provides you with the necessary foundation to start or expand a business. Beyond academics, the network is amazing. I have already formed a start up team and I am thrilled about the market we are entering into.

FG (Oct 7, 2008 12:08:07 PM)
Hassani, a related question: What do you feel differentiates the MIT program (student body, culture, curricular focus) from other top programs?

kylehawke (Oct 7, 2008 12:08:30 PM)
Shauna: Relative to the other schools which I am applying to, MIT's application seems to lack an area to highlight activities during undergrad or after college. Why is that?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:09:06 PM)
Tria, We do actually encourage college seniors to apply. We have a very diverse population of students. and consider all experience outside of the classroom to be "work experience". In fact, college seniors who apply are the only population of applicants who are able to defer their acceptance for 2 years if they choose.

ohaqqi (Oct 7, 2008 12:09:47 PM)
Jen: Thanks for spending time to chat with prospective applicants today. I would like to ask how the current market has affected overall recruiting/hiring trends at MIT, specifically investment banking and finance recruiting/hiring.

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:10:19 PM)
Wilson, to answer your question to Jen, this year, students will be able to attend an information session on the E&I track once they matriculate at MIT Sloan. Then, you will have the opportunity to take part in the E&I track and all of its offerings. Most students who participate in the E&I track are looking for the cohort experience. Some, already have entrepreneurial experience, and the majority is interested in entrepreneurship either now, in the near future or down the road.

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:10:20 PM)
FG, In my opinion, Sloan provides a great mix of qualitative and quantitative content. The student body is incredibly diverse with impressive backgrounds, yet they all remain humble. There are so many innovators here who are trying to figure out solutions to unmet needs. The atmosphere is very inspiring.

collegestudent (Oct 7, 2008 12:10:27 PM)
Jen: Can you tell us more about students in previous years who got into Sloan right out of college?

A. Bennett (Oct 7, 2008 12:10:41 PM)
Shauna: Aside from GPA/GMAT scores and work experience, what are contributing factors that an applicant may disregard as a strength or possibly a weakness in getting into Sloan Business School?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:11:28 PM)
Kylehawke: We are interested in your extra-curricular experiences. Please highlight those that are important to you in your essays and resume.

Linda Abraham (Oct 7, 2008 12:11:37 PM)
Hassani: Why did you choose Sloan? Did it meet your expectations?

C. Rocker (Oct 7, 2008 12:11:52 PM)
Shauna: What can students who are interested in the Biomedical Enterprise Program do to learn more about its offerings? Are there specific admissions events being conducted? How do we get in touch with students involved in that program?

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:11:53 PM)
Hi All! I am also a first year student at Sloan along with Hassani. I just moved to Boston from Austin, TX.  My prior work experience has been at Dell in the engineering and operations departments. I'm happy to take questions as well.

Dana (Oct 7, 2008 12:11:59 PM)
Jen: Do candidates applying in round 1 have an advantage over candidates applying in round 2?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:12:04 PM)
Collegestudent, students who have come directly from school are as successful as those with work experience. They've had great internship experiences, and were holding significant leadership roles in their student organizations.

Linda Abraham (Oct 7, 2008 12:12:52 PM)
Welcome Divya. Thanks for joining.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:13:16 PM)
Ohaqqi- The current market is sure to impact our application pool this year. But at this point we do not know by how much or the specific capacity.

Brian L. (Oct 7, 2008 12:13:16 PM)
Thanks, Shauna.

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:13:18 PM)
Linda, Sloan has exceeded my expectations. I chose Sloan because I wanted to be in an environment that fostered outside of the box thinking. Further, real life application was essential and Sloan offers that experience.

Buck (Oct 7, 2008 12:13:27 PM)
Hassani: Can you tell me more about the entrepreneurship and innovation program? Is it a specialization of the MBA or a club?

Vivek Pai (Oct 7, 2008 12:13:56 PM)
Shauna: Is the Ambassadors Program active this month? Ideally I would like to sit in on a class. From the website it seems H1 classes end on the 17th, so is this month a wrong time if I want to sit in on a class?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:14:20 PM)
Dana, strong candidates are going to have an advantage in either round they apply.

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:14:24 PM)
Buck, the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Program (E&I) is a special track that Sloan offers. You have to apply for it in the application process.

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:14:27 PM)
A. Bennett, we use a competency modeling approach when evaluating applicants- so we will be looking at the stories you provide in your cover letter, essays and also the data provided in your letters of recommendation. Competencies such as being goal oriented or having a history of impacting change at the organizations in which you work/are affiliated with are all strengths.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:14:54 PM)
Dana, we admit half the class in each round, and typically do receive more applications in round 2, so statistically there tends to be a higher acceptance rate in round 1 vs. Round 2.

Prem kumar (Oct 7, 2008 12:15:41 PM)
Shauna: If we have shared some information in essays, should we avoid it sharing again in extra-curricular or other relevant section?

Israel Feuerberg (Oct 7, 2008 12:16:03 PM)
Hassani and Divya: What would you say is the most important thing Sloan has taught you, either inside the classroom or outside?

Lorena MIT 11 (Oct 7, 2008 12:17:28 PM)
Jen: How can a 610 in the GMAT affect admissions? Would you recommend retaking the exam?

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:17:32 PM)
Vivek Pai, Yes our ambassadors program is active this month and all the way through the beginning of December. The class visit slots have been filling up quickly. H2 classes and full semester classes will still be available after the 25th of October. Please note, we have added a new opportunity for you to interact with students on campus- Friday Breakfast Information sessions. We held our first one last Friday and it was incredibly successful. Over 65 students attended and we had Admissions staff and student lead roundtables. Our next Friday information session will be October 14 from 8-9:30AM (and there are still a few openings).

prosper2008 (Oct 7, 2008 12:17:39 PM)
Shauna: I took the GMAT last year and designated MIT as a score recipient. If I apply this year, do I need to re-send the score?

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:18:33 PM)
Israel, Outside of everything I have learned in the classes, Sloan has really taught be how to me a leader in any setting. There are tremendous opportunities here to get involved in activities and make an impact. You can do everything from leading a club, organizing a trek to another country to being a part of the senate.

Nishant (Oct 7, 2008 12:18:35 PM)
Hassani: As you were involved in the 100K as well as the SEID, I wanted to know what are the other avenues available to hone social entrepreneurship skills at Sloan? Also, how much is the focus on having a deep social impact at Sloan?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:18:45 PM)
Lorena, a 610 is at the very bottom of our range. In fact, our 80% range of GMAT for this year's class is 650-760, which means that only 10% scored below 650. If your score is below this, it is VERY important that you have other parts of your application that are strong enough to balance out the lower score.

Jason (Oct 7, 2008 12:19:05 PM)
Jen: What percentage of students receives any financial aid in the form of scholarships?

Linda Abraham (Oct 7, 2008 12:19:33 PM)
Divya: Why did you choose Sloan? Did it meet your expectations?

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:19:42 PM)
Prem Kumar, we have eliminated the supplemental/extra curricular section from this year's application. Since the Admissions readers read your entire application, it makes sense to only put information in one spot (for example, you cover letter, your resume or essay #4). Our goal is that you will speak about the extra curricular activities that you are most passionate about and will provide in depth details and stories about them in your application.

Apaar (Oct 7, 2008 12:19:48 PM)
Shauna: How do you view students from family businesses? Are there many candidates who are enrolled for MBA and come from this background?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:19:48 PM)
Israel, that is a tough question. At this point, one week before midterms, I would have to say that "No man is an island" comes to mind. Team work is essential to making it through b-school. Gaining input from your peers on projects or ideas is essential. Study groups are a must. ; )

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:20:40 PM)
Jason, we do not have an exact statistic on scholarship/fellowships. but many students do receive some type of aid. In fact, last year, our new Dean was able to double the fellowship aid we award to the incoming class. There are also many other ways to get scholarships, many are funded through outside organizations, and something that is unique to MIT Sloan is that about 30% of our students are able to fund their education by being a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant here at MIT Sloan.

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:20:43 PM)
Prosper 2008: If you sent your score last year to MIT Sloan- it will still be relevant for this year's application. There is no need to re-send it.

Leo Barros (Oct 7, 2008 12:20:53 PM)
Shauna: What about students that are international, graduated from a University in the US, worked with the OPT for one year and feel ready for the MBA; Do you think they should go back to their country and get some work experience before applying?

Midwest (Oct 7, 2008 12:21:10 PM)
Jennifer: You have limited the essays to discuss experiences within the last 3 years. How critical is it to stick to this guideline?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:21:56 PM)
Nishant, there are many opportunities to get involved in social enterprise; Organizations such as SEID and Net Impact are a great resource. My 100K project actually has a focus in the developing world. Also, Sloan is very involved in sustainability.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:21:59 PM)
Midwest, Please follow the instructions that we have asked for. We ask for experiences only within the past 3 years because we look at your past performance as an indicator of your future success and the more recent your experiences, the more indicative they are of your success.

Ranjit (Oct 7, 2008 12:22:02 PM)
Hassani: Since you've taken finance as an elective, this question goes to you. How does Sloan differentiate itself from the popular 'Finance schools' such as Stern, as far as the syllabus / teaching is concerned?

dmw (Oct 7, 2008 12:22:04 PM)
Jen: I am an avid entrepreneur (started 3 different apparel companies - still working on/in my third at $500k in first year sales). However I still find I need some more education to reach the goals I have set for myself. I am bent towards entrepreneurship, but not as much tech or engineering; Do you think this would be a good fit?

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:23:00 PM)
Linda: Choosing Sloan was really easy after I visited here for admit weekend. During that time I met some really interesting and accomplished students, but what really stood out was how humble and genuine everyone was. It made me feel at home right away. Prior to visiting, my focus was on Sloan for its strength in technology and analytical skills.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:23:00 PM)
DMW, wow, congrats, sounds like you would have a fun and interesting application to read. I think MIT is a perfect match for you. We have many entrepreneurs here and the E&I track within the MBA is a great match.

MK (Oct 7, 2008 12:23:13 PM)
Hi Divya, coming from an engineering background what has your experience at MIT been?

mba-fall09 (Oct 7, 2008 12:23:17 PM)
Is there anyone who can speak about marketing at Sloan? Strengths?

Linda Abraham (Oct 7, 2008 12:23:40 PM)
Jen, could you answer mba-fall09?

FG (Oct 7, 2008 12:24:53 PM)
Hassani: Could you please elaborate on how Sloan offers real life application? Thank you!

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:25:54 PM)
Leo Barros, it really depends on the quality of professional experiences you have had....from your internships, your Optional Practical Training (OPT) and prior. If you feel the time is right for you to attend an MBA program at MIT Sloan and that you can contribute to a diverse and active student body- then apply now. If you feel that you would benefit from more years in the work environment, then you may want to consider waiting. The timing of when you apply for an MBA is a personal one. So there is a lot of introspection and research that goes into this personal process of when to apply. You are definitely doing your due diligence in this area!

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:25:55 PM)
MBA 09, MIT Sloan is very strong in Marketing. Prof. John Little was one of the leaders in the field of marketing science. We also have a great class called Market Lab where students are able to work as consultants for leading consumer products companies. Samples of projects this semester include work with Estee Lauder, Reebok, Fidelity, HBO and Dunkin Donuts. There's also a market trek to visit companies in NYC and many students find internships and full time employment in marketing. Please review our employment report .

Badger (Oct 7, 2008 12:25:58 PM)
Jen, a follow-up on work experience. I've been in the workforce for 12 years - I realize that this is atypical of prospective full-time MBA students; my question is how atypical is this at Sloan?

HJ (Oct 7, 2008 12:25:59 PM)
Hi Shauna, is there any differences for applicants who have not joined the info sessions or campus visits?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:26:23 PM)
Ranjit, Sloan has a finance track which tailors course load for students who are interested in finance. It is very much like E&I and a great foundation for anyone interested in a finance career.

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:26:37 PM)
MK, Sloan has been a great fit for me given my background. My past focus in terms of both school and work has been very engineering oriented. The class here is very diverse in terms of work experience. It has been great talking to all the other students to truly understand what their old jobs were and how that may help me determine my future career goals.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:26:48 PM)
Hi Badger, we have students with all types of backgrounds and varied amounts of experience. Currently there are students in the class with 0-15 years of experience. However, we're much more interested in the quality of your experiences than the brand name of the company you're working for or how long you've been there.

JKeymoore (Oct 7, 2008 12:26:50 PM)
Divya, how many years of work experience did you have prior to Sloan?

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:27:50 PM)
JKeymoore, I had 4 years of work experience prior to Sloan. I spent 2 years doing product engineering and 2 years doing operations.

rogerhc (Oct 7, 2008 12:27:57 PM)
Divya: I would like to know the choices for housing in Boston, is there an on-campus choice?

tria (Oct 7, 2008 12:28:30 PM)
Jen: the MIT website says that you accept GRE scores in place of GMAT. Are the students submitting GRE scores at a disadvantage as compared to people submitting a GMAT score? What is the average GRE score expected?

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:28:46 PM)
HJ, the more you know about the program, the better you can determine if the fit between you and the MIT Sloan community is a good one. MIT Sloan is a unique community- a small class size- approximately 340 in our entering class and students who are intellectually strong and "doers." I think it makes sense to step foot on campus and also to interact with current students/alumni if this is possible. That said, many students apply and THEN come to visit - the choice is yours.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:28:47 PM)
Tria, we take either test score. No disadvantage if you use the GRE!

MK (Oct 7, 2008 12:28:48 PM)
Shauna: How many applicants do you typically interview?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:28:51 PM)
FG, The MIT motto is Mens et Manus "Mind in Hand." Sloan is very focused on real life application. Sloan has various labs which allow students to receive real life application, China-Lab, India-Lab, G-Lab, Sustainability Lab, etc. In these labs, students have the opportunity to work with real companies on real issues.

Sanjay (Oct 7, 2008 12:28:55 PM)
Hi Jennifer, Is there any truth to the fact that engineers are people preferred to other professional backgrounds?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:30:00 PM)
Sanjay, that is not true. We are the management school at MIT, but we are a General Management program for people from all different backgrounds. Currently, about 30% of our students have an undergraduate degree in engineering.

Lorena MIT 11 (Oct 7, 2008 12:30:09 PM)
Jennifer: What makes a strong Sloan candidate? What is the difference between a strong candidate for Sloan vs. a strong candidate for LFM?

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:30:23 PM)
Rogerhc: There are a lot of on-campus housing options available to you - you can get a studio or share an apartment with another graduate student. There is a pretty good mix of students living on campus vs. surrounding neighborhoods - such as Kendall Square, Central Square and Beacon Hill.

D_Cho (Oct 7, 2008 12:30:28 PM)
Hassani: I would like to ask the current students how they feel about Sloan's Independent Activities Period. Are they popular?

Jie Huang (Oct 7, 2008 12:30:30 PM)
Divya: I also work in the operations department, for Shenzhen Airlines. Are you a student in Supply Chain Management Program?

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:31:16 PM)
MK, last year we had 4,000 applicants and we interviewed approximately 1,000. Everyone who is accepted to MIT Sloan has been interviewed by the Admissions Committee. The great new is that the Admissions committee travels to almost all major cities to interview candidates.

Vivek Pai (Oct 7, 2008 12:31:20 PM)
Shauna: Are there any students at MIT Sloan with a post-MBA focus in HR Management (or who want to get into consulting with a Human Resources focus)? If so, how can I get in touch with them?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:31:32 PM)
Lorena, there is no difference. Because you need to be admitted to both MBA and Engineering in order to do LFM. We are looking for students who have interesting experiences, who are academically strong and find MIT Sloan to be a good fit.

A. Bennett (Oct 7, 2008 12:31:49 PM)
Shauna: I own a real estate investment company- does this help my chances of getting into Sloan? Or, is this commitment looked upon as a potential weakness as a student?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:32:30 PM)
D_Cho, the SIP period is popular because it's required. We are required to take a certain amount of SIP credits to graduate. The classes offered during SIP week are informative and fun.

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:32:36 PM)
Jie Huang, I'm not in the Supply Chain program. However, if you are interested in the supply chain program, you can pursue an operations focus within the MBA program or do the LFM program which is a dual engineering and MBA degree.

MK (Oct 7, 2008 12:32:52 PM)
Divya: What have your favorite classes/professors been and why?

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:33:05 PM)
Vivek Pai, all of our organization processes courses are a valuable part of the MBA experience. We also offer courses in HR management. It would be best for you to attend an information session or the Ambassadors program to connect with students with similar backgrounds/future interests.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:33:36 PM)
Mba 2011, at MIT Sloan, we have a mixed pedagogy of teaching styles. It is not just the case method and every class will incorporate an experiential component.

NJ (Oct 7, 2008 12:33:40 PM)
Shauna: How do you go about applying for a position as a teaching assistant or research assistant?

Brian S (Oct 7, 2008 12:34:53 PM)
Jen: From an admissions standpoint, how much does a year of international work experience tend to boost a candidates standing?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:34:57 PM)
D-Cho, just to give you an example, during SIP week I am taking an Entrepreneurship and Leadership Class, as well as a class on Credit Risk analysis. I also know that there is an acting class being offered (Hamlet) where you get to apply leadership in art form. The one week of SIP offers so many diverse classes, so yes, it is very popular.

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:35:00 PM)
MK, I'm taking required core classes right now - So far I have really enjoyed accounting and finance. Prof Weber is an awesome accounting teacher. Finance has been fun because we spend a lot of time talking about everything that is going on in the markets right now.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:35:29 PM)
Brian, it's no different than any other experience. We're looking at the quality of your experience and how you measured against your peers. It doesn't matter where it happened.

Sam (Oct 7, 2008 12:35:57 PM)
Jen, for a re-applicant who applied in R-2 for 2008, does MIT expect me to come up with all new stories for my essays since there has only been an 8 month gap?

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:36:03 PM)
NJ, the TA positions and RA positions are a fabulous way to fund a portion of your education. Approximately 1/3 of our students participate in these roles. Applying for a TA position is a competitive one, but typically student apply via faculty who they have established relationships with in class or in whose class they have done particularly well in. Applications are submitted in the fall for spring TA/RA internships. The only semester that students do not TA/RA is during the core.

Midwest (Oct 7, 2008 12:36:06 PM)
Shauna: It seems that Sloan is interested in candidates from entrepreneurial backgrounds as well as engineering. Is Sloan interested in candidates with investment banking/private equity backgrounds? Are there a lot of candidates who apply with these finance histories?

nj24 (Oct 7, 2008 12:36:25 PM)
Divya: How flexible is the curriculum for someone who is keen in looking at a career in VC/private equity? Should I be looking at the E&I program, or a finance track instead? How are the opportunities like, post-MBA? Are VC funds active recruiters at Sloan?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:36:41 PM)
if any of you will be on the West Coast next week, we're having recruiting events in 4 cities in CA next week, details are online at http://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/attend-event.php

Paul M (Oct 7, 2008 12:37:05 PM)
Jen, I am involved in a number of activities and organizations. One of my key contributing positions is that I am a youth Director and a BOD member at a church. I am very active in management and leadership issues there. Given MIT’s academic and cerebral focus and, to some extent, academic bias against faith based organizations, do you suggest omitting my leadership involvement with the church?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:37:23 PM)
Hi Sam, I realize this will be tough, but we are looking for you to re-write the whole application. We'll have your old application alongside your new one, so the more info you can share the better.

Jacob (Oct 7, 2008 12:37:44 PM)
Jen: Having worked in teams all throughout my university degree (diploma engineering) at a university with problem-based learning (PBL), and having gotten the same grade as the rest of the group in situations with quite different work efforts/performance in the group, is it crucial for me to make up for some of these not so optimal grades, or is understood that grades in this case depends on 4-5 other people also?

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:37:46 PM)
All, Since I've been seeing a lot of questions around engineering backgrounds - I just wanted to mention that my current core team has an engineer, a lawyer, a general manager, a consultant, a marketing manager and a banker - so there is definitely a lot of diversity.

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:38:04 PM)
Midwest, we are looking for a diverse entering class. Almost 20 percent of our 2010 came from a finance/investment job prior to matriculation at MIT Sloan.

MK (Oct 7, 2008 12:38:07 PM)
That was really helpful Divya, Thanks! I also have an engineering background which is part of the reason I'm looking for a fit at Sloan.

Brian L. (Oct 7, 2008 12:38:14 PM)
Shauna, you mentioned that students and alumni review the application after the professional committee. Could you speak more about this process and each group's role?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:38:20 PM)
Paul, I'm not aware of any MIT bias against faith-based organizations. You should explain your experiences as you see best fit and in a way that can highlight you in the best possible way.

davidbrent (Oct 7, 2008 12:38:25 PM)
Hi Jennifer - at the Ambassadors program last week, I was told that Sloan considers the cover letter as just another essay. However, the semantics of writing a cover letter are very different from those of an essay (i.e. you can be slightly more informal with essays than with cover letters). So, I wanted to find out Sloan's rationale behind calling it a cover letter when in fact, it is read as an essay.

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:39:11 PM)
FV, here is my take: Entrepreneurship is about creating something that meets an unmet need, social enterprise is also about creating something to meet an unmet need. Regardless of interest, the tools that you will gain here at Sloan prepare you to think critically about your approach to meeting this unmet need. Sloan has a diverse student body with many interests, including non-profit and social enterprise. My experience has been one of encouragement and support. The resources and the support are here.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:39:13 PM)
David Brent, please think of the cover letter as your marketing piece. It should answer the specific question about professional impacts you've had, along with indicate why you're applying to MIT Sloan.

MECK (Oct 7, 2008 12:39:17 PM)
Divya: I'm interested in IT Portfolio Management, particularly from a large company point of view. Does MIT Sloan offer specific courses or a track that would help focus on Portfolio Management?

HJ (Oct 7, 2008 12:39:38 PM)
Thank you Shauna!

Ranjit (Oct 7, 2008 12:39:58 PM)
Jennifer / Shauna, From an admissions standpoint, would one's application to the MBA program be viewed more favorably if one has taken prior classes in subjects such as Business, Finance, and Strategy (assuming that's where one wants to be post-MBA)?

Avnashjha (Oct 7, 2008 12:40:10 PM)
Hi Jen, In the current credit crisis scenario, will there be any impact on student loans (especially international students without US co-signer)?

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:40:11 PM)
Brian L, to clarify - only professional admissions staff review the application and conduct interviews. We work very hard to keep the evaluation process fair - in fact, all the Admission committee meets regularly to "calibrate" our evaluation methodology- to ensure that each applicant is receiving a similar review.

college (Oct 7, 2008 12:40:19 PM)
Shauna: What percentage of the typical incoming class has one to two years of work experience?

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:40:26 PM)
Nj24, I'm also interested in the VC industry. The curriculum is really flexible in that you only have one semester of required classes. After that you can focus on whatever you want. As far as VC recruiting goes, a lot of it is relationship based - and you get a lot of opportunity to build those relationships. We have regular speaker and breakfast series as a part of the VC PE club. I'm also one of the organizers of the upcoming VC conference - another great way to meet people from the industry.

MK (Oct 7, 2008 12:41:16 PM)
Thanks Shauna!

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:41:19 PM)
Ranjit -- We do ask that students take micro economics, finance accounting and calculus before matriculating, if they haven't had exposure to these subjects before, but we do not require this for application process, just before matriculation.

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:41:26 PM)
College- Hassani had 2 years of work experience. In our Class of 2010- we have 40 students (out of 340) with less than 2 years of work experience. Our early career students do amazingly well in the MBA program.

future sloanie (Oct 7, 2008 12:41:28 PM)
Jen: Hi I'm interested in pursuing an MBA as a springboard to a future career in the Film/Entertainment industry. Will a Sloan MBA help me or am I setting an unrealistic goal?

Aziz (Oct 7, 2008 12:41:36 PM)
Shauna: Speaking about financial aid, as a student from the republic of Uzbekistan, I am currently studying at one of the top 5 economic Universities in the Russian Federation, AFAIK.  Does MIT Sloan offer financial aid to cover full enrollment?

FV (Oct 7, 2008 12:42:06 PM)
Hassani: What level of math or quantitative proficiency should an applicant have to be successful at Sloan?

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:42:09 PM)
Meck, our course listing online is a great way to find out what courses we offer - there is certainly a great breadth in finance courses. Clubs are another way to get more involved in the field.

Katie (Oct 7, 2008 12:42:20 PM)
Divya: How closely can students at Sloan work with the Center for Real Estate? I'm currently working in commercial real estate and may be a career changer, but may decide to pursue the industry further post-MBA.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:42:25 PM)
Hi Future Sloanie, we have had several students do this exact thing. We have a great club in media and entertainment so check out their website, and media tech club.

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:43:04 PM)
FV, there is nothing required in terms of quantitative proficiency.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:43:26 PM)
Lu Fong, we have a lot of international students with prior military experience.

Sam (Oct 7, 2008 12:43:41 PM)
Jen, since MIT Sloan doesn't provide any feedback to re-applicants, what advice can you provide on approaching the re-application in terms of essays & other application requirements?

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:43:44 PM)
Aziz, MIT Sloan offers a wide variety of funding solutions, including fellowship, Teaching Assistant internships and merit scholarships. The majority of our students also fund their degree through independent loans.

Jacob (Oct 7, 2008 12:43:46 PM)
Shauna: To decide whether to apply for 2009, 2010 or 2011: If I can work 6 months in a full-time University internship + 2 months full-time internship and I find myself + 7 months of full-time work afterwards – is that very different in your book to having 13 months of full time professional experience?

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:43:52 PM)
Katie, you can cross register and take classes. Several students have been known to get both degrees. The real estate club is also very active on campus.

Buck (Oct 7, 2008 12:45:02 PM)
Divya and Hassani: Does Sloan allow students the freedom to tailor their MBA curriculum to meet their individual learning needs?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:45:05 PM)
Sam, reapplicants are typically very successful in our process, and usually know what went wrong the first time. Last year was extremely competitive, we had a 28% increase in applications. We ask you to apply in round 1 and give all re-applicants first chance at a seat in the class. Just be sure that your new application compliments your old one, we'll have both this year when reviewing your candidacy.

Brian L. (Oct 7, 2008 12:45:15 PM)
Jen: Does the AdCom take graduate-level GPA into account (Master's degree in another field) or is it strictly undergraduate GPA?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:46:00 PM)
Brian, we will look at of your academic experiences, but use your UG GPA as a baseline to compare with the rest of the applicant pool.

FV (Oct 7, 2008 12:46:11 PM)
Jennifer, how many of your students are in the joint MBA/MPP program with Harvard? Is this a popular track?

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:46:39 PM)
Jacob, it really depends on the quality of your experience versus the quantity. You need to make the decision that is most appropriate for your career/personal goals. If you can make an impact on an organization in just 2 months, that may be fine. If you feel that you need a longer time to initiate a positive change at the organization, then a longer internship opportunity may work better for you.

Paul M (Oct 7, 2008 12:46:43 PM)
Shauna: What makes a strong BEP candidate at Sloan?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:46:50 PM)
FV, yes the HKS program is popular, but there are only about 15-20 slots per year for students.

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:47:05 PM)
Buck - Absolutely! As I mentioned before, we only have one semester of required classes. Beyond that you have a lot of freedom in what you want to focus on. The program also allows you to take up to 2 classes at MIT (outside of the business school) and at Harvard.

Dana (Oct 7, 2008 12:47:58 PM)
Divya: I intend to diversify an existing successful family business, but its not based in the US. How useful and relevant do you think the course is for businesses based outside the US?

david (Oct 7, 2008 12:48:06 PM)
Jen: Thanks for this chance. I have two questions. 1. How do you judge applicants with an art background, who did not take any courses in calculus or other advanced math courses? 2. Does MIT offer No-cosigner loan to international student in the coming year?

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:48:13 PM)
Paul M, we are looking for students with a strong background in science, medicine and technology. I strongly encourage you to contact the BEP admissions department- Traci Anderson.

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:49:10 PM)
Dana. We have such a diverse student body that everything here has a global twist. There are a lot of students who intend to go back to their home country once they are done.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:49:14 PM)
David, 1. We look at all applicants with different backgrounds, we have plenty of students who haven't taken any of those classes before, don't worry! 2. Unfortunately, due to very recent events, CitiBank has cancelled our custom loan program which used to provide a "no-cosigner " loan program for all students. The school is in the process of finding a solution to this and hopes to have a custom loan program for next year, soon.

JC Urencio (Oct 7, 2008 12:49:32 PM)
Hassani and Divya: Hi, I am working at a Development Bank that finances bio-energy and energy related projects. Is there an Energy club or special classes for people interested in alternative energy?

Lu-Fong (Oct 7, 2008 12:49:41 PM)
Jen: How interested is Sloan in candidates with military experience, looking for a transition to a business career?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:50:21 PM)
JC, if you want to go into Energy, this is the place to be. There are 700 people in the Energy club. So much innovation around that area.

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:50:33 PM)
JKeymoore, letters of recommendation are very important to help us determine your work success and to evaluate how you compare with your peers in a work situation. I would actively work with your recommenders and let them know what you are writing about. That way they can enhance/provide more detail and perspective to your application. If you provide a little coaching to them, I am sure they will be able to fill in the gaps/add to your application.

nj24 (Oct 7, 2008 12:50:40 PM)
Divya and Hassani: Given the rigor of the Sloan program (it is MIT after all), how active is student life? I would like to be involved actively in some extracurricular activities and clubs, and possibly apply for TAship. Am I in over my head?

Badger (Oct 7, 2008 12:51:10 PM)
Jen, There have been a few questions/comments regarding the economic conditions. I started exploring an MBA several months ago, but my position within the company was eliminated last week. I'm confident in my ability to find another position, but - how would this affect my viability as a candidate?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:52:29 PM)
Badger, we understand many people will be in your similar situation. It should not impact your candidacy, please just talk about your experiences from the past, and if you have a new position at the time you apply, include that info as well.

Israel Feuerberg (Oct 7, 2008 12:52:31 PM)
Jen: Is it a disadvantage for international students to have an unbalanced score with a lower verbal part?

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:53:02 PM)
Nj24, the program is rigorous but you can definitely get involved in other activities. To give you a better idea, I'm taking core classes this semester, still make it to the gym 3-4 times a week and I'm very involved in the upcoming Elevator Pitch Contest and the VC conference. I'm also a member of the Student Activities Board and Mobile Tech clubs. And like Hassani, I'm working on a SEID project!

FV (Oct 7, 2008 12:53:09 PM)
Divya or Hassani: Considering our nation's need for renewable energy alternatives, what advantages or unique programs does Sloan offer its students in this field as compared with other top programs?

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:53:09 PM)
Rgilyard, your GPA is just one part of your application. GPA can be impacted by a variety of factors (such as the school you went to, the program you were involved in, if you worked during school etc). We do not have a cut off for GPA or GMAT. Try to focus on other parts of your application which you can now control, i.e. - your essays, cover letter and resume.

Brian L. (Oct 7, 2008 12:53:12 PM)
Thanks Shauna. So students and alumni have no role in the review of the application?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:53:15 PM)
Israel, we do look at the GMAT breakdown of verbal/quant. if you feel that part of your score is low, then find other areas in your application to help balance it out, i.e. : work experience, recommendations, etc.

rogerhc (Oct 7, 2008 12:54:17 PM)
Jennifer: I would like to know if there is a regional quota in the admission process. I mean, do applicants from South America have to struggle for positions in the MBA 11 Class? Sometimes quotas are not explicitly written, but, for example- how many Peruvian students are there in each of the two MBA classes studying right now at Sloan?

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:54:34 PM)
Brian L, you are correct. We do not outsource our application/interview review process to students or alumni.

N Lindenbaum (Oct 7, 2008 12:54:50 PM)
Shauna: I took Calculus I and Calculus II in high school. The application asks for grades received in Calculus. Should I include these high school grades?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:55:19 PM)
FV, there are 700 students in the Energy Club. There are also 12 electives focused on energy right now. Prof Rick Locke is involved in sustainability/energy initiatives. He is working to make MIT Sloan the best management school regarding this initiative.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:55:41 PM)
Rogerhc, it is illegal for us to have quotas in our admissions process. We take the strongest people who apply, no matter where they come from. In fact we work VERY hard (just look at our recruiting calendar) to get a diverse applicant pool, and are fortunate enough to admit the strongest who apply, no matter where they come from.

Ranjit (Oct 7, 2008 12:55:45 PM)
Jennifer, Thank you for your response! How would students with a prior Masters, say MSc in Management, be viewed when applying to the MBA program? Would it affect the chances of getting admitted in any way?

Vani Punam (Oct 7, 2008 12:56:19 PM)
Divya & Hassani: Considering the economic environment today, what efforts are you and the school putting in to ensure that you have a good placement season?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:56:47 PM)
Ranjit, we have a lot of students with other graduate degrees. But you would not be looked at any differently than those with just an UG degree, as we are comparing the applicant pool based on UG degrees only.

John (Oct 7, 2008 12:57:15 PM)
Jen: What if you wish to take a new direction with your essays on a reapplication; should you explain this change?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:57:31 PM)
John, its' completely your call.

rohit (Oct 7, 2008 12:57:37 PM)
Hi Jennifer. Does the admissions committee look unfavorably at an average undergrad GPA, even though it might be from a top engineering school in another part of the world known for its strict grading system?

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:58:11 PM)
Vani, The career development office has had more companies visit campus this year than ever before. Also, they are working very hard to reach out to smaller companies in more geographically diverse regions.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:58:16 PM)
Rohit, we look at all of your data points, and will consider the school and degree you received when evaluating your GPA.

Dana (Oct 7, 2008 12:59:12 PM)
Jen: I've studied in an institution that does not have a GPA system. Should I convert my scores or report them as they are?

Sarah (Oct 7, 2008 12:59:28 PM)
Divya and Hassani: I am really interested in entrepreneurship, which I noticed was a focus at MIT. I am also interested in International Business. If I wanted to pursue this focus is the best curriculum option the Global Entrepreneurship Lab?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:59:42 PM)
Dana, don't worry, just report your grades as they appear on your transcript.

Aziz (Oct 7, 2008 1:01:01 PM)
Jen: Thank you for your help! Could you tell us (for international applicants) the exact percentage of foreign students in the 2010 class? And which priorities do you look for when screening all applications? First top score on GRE+GMAT, then an application, essays, education funding? How popular is MIT Sloan is among investment bankers?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:01:26 PM)
Sarah, In my opinion, Sloan offers a diverse curriculum that will definitely prepare you for international business. G-Lab is very popular, I am going to try to get into that course next Fall.

JC Urencio (Oct 7, 2008 1:01:41 PM)
Thanks Hassani, I agree it is the best place to be if you are into Energy.

FV (Oct 7, 2008 1:02:14 PM)
Hassani; Wow, that's great to hear such level of focus on this pressing need.

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:02:37 PM)
Mike, yes, all candidates receive an invitation and the actual interview before the acceptance decision is made.

Ranjit (Oct 7, 2008 1:02:41 PM)
Shauna, would post-graduate GPA serve to offset a possibly lower undergraduate GPA score at the time of application evaluation?

Vani Punam (Oct 7, 2008 1:02:51 PM)
Thanks Divya. I have a related question - do you see international placements increasing this year?

Aziz (Oct 7, 2008 1:03:03 PM)
Shauna, are you aware of how many students from Uzbekistan have studied or are studying at MIT Sloan? Does the committee pay attention to students who are under-represented at Sloan and seek diversity? Additionally, there are no quotas for international students, right?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:03:04 PM)
Ranjit, relax ; )

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:03:25 PM)
Vani, there is increasing interest in working internationally - so we do see those placements increasing.

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:03:29 PM)
Ranjit, it would show that you were committed to intellectual development and learning. It would definitely enhance your application.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:03:29 PM)
Aziz, big question! there are 42% international students in 2010. We look for a complete application package - essays, tests, etc. There is not any single item that is more important than any other.

ify (Oct 7, 2008 1:03:46 PM)
Shauna: How does the very rigorous curriculum supports mothers? I am currently pregnant and still wish to attend Sloan in 2009. I am attracted to the entrepreneurship program because of my intentions to take the lessons home in Africa.

FV (Oct 7, 2008 1:04:14 PM)
Jennifer; regarding GMAT/GRE scores, does Sloan place more weight on the quant score? If so, can a lower-than average quant score be offset by a higher-than average verbal score?

stevendel (Oct 7, 2008 1:05:09 PM)
Hassani and Divya: I would guess there are some students with children in the program. Is it difficult for them to balance their MBA focus with their family life?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:05:13 PM)
FV relax! GMAT/GRE is only one data point. ONE. That's it. Do the best you can and try to get your total score in our range, then move on :0) !

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:05:36 PM)
Aziz, I do not know specifically about Uzbekistan and our students, but we have about 10% of our 2010 Class from Europe. We strive to bring in a diverse class and we do not have application quotas.

Aravind (Oct 7, 2008 1:06:02 PM)
Jennifer, the prerequisite to an MBA program says the applicant must have completed one year's study in Economic Theory and Calculus. If the applicant doesn't meet these, you expect formal studies to have been completed before enrollment. Could you please clarify what these formal studies include as subjects?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:06:03 PM)
3 of the guys in my core team (7 total) have children. Lots of kiddies. Additionally, they are doing quite well.

shah (Oct 7, 2008 1:06:34 PM)
Shauna: Since the transcripts and GPA questions are flowing around - here is one from my end: My college did not use a GPA grading system but they have a conversion chart behind the transcripts. However, I don't believe they reflect the academic results properly. Do you think mentioning the class rank in the optional essay will be helpful?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:06:57 PM)
Aravind, if you don't have these courses, and we admit you, you'll be given a conditional acceptance, meaning that you can only enroll once you've completed the courses. This does not impact the application process.

Tom (Oct 7, 2008 1:07:08 PM)
Aravind: Thanks, this has been informative. If I scored a 680 on the GMAT, but feel I could do better, would you recommend I retake the test?

tariq (Oct 7, 2008 1:07:15 PM)
Hey Hassani, I would like to know the importance or relevance of part-time job and part-time work experience. Is part-time work counted in work experience?

iplawyer (Oct 7, 2008 1:07:41 PM)
Jen: In the application process and for statistic purposes, do you view foreign & U.S. educated dual U.S./other country citizens as minority U.S., international students or both?

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:07:46 PM)
IFY, congratulations on your pregnancy! We have a number of mothers/mothers-to-be in the program. We provide support to them (i.e.- lactation room etc), however, are unable to provide extended leaves due to the short nature of the program. Sloan Women in Management, a female professional club on campus, also actively supports its members as does the MBA Administrative team.

Ranjit (Oct 7, 2008 1:07:52 PM)
Hassani: I will try to ! Thanks for replying ! : )

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:07:52 PM)
Tom, I would work on your essays and the rest of application first, then retake Gmat, if you're sure you can do better.

Vani Punam (Oct 7, 2008 1:08:13 PM)
Shauna: Does MIT Sloan offer interviews in Indian cities? If yes, could you please name a few?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:08:26 PM)
Tariq, No.

Will (Oct 7, 2008 1:08:34 PM)
Hassani: You mention G-lab is very popular and you will try to get in next fall. In general, are there courses that are difficult to gain entry in? I am particularly interested in S-Lab and would want to be sure I had the chance to participate. Are classes awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis, or something else? Thanks!

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:08:36 PM)
Ip, minority students are defined by those who are US Citizens.

Chong Xu (Oct 7, 2008 1:08:52 PM)
Jen: I am interested in the biotech industry. How does Sloan interact with the local biotech industry in the Boston area, and the leading life science research groups in MIT?

dmw (Oct 7, 2008 1:09:10 PM)
Shauna: I would like to arrange a campus visit for the first week of December. Is that an okay time to come? Would I be able to meet with anyone and take a tour?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:09:28 PM)
Will, we have a bidding system for courses, as long as you bid enough points, you will get in. The system is very fair.

wannabie_sloanie (Oct 7, 2008 1:09:38 PM)
Hassani, can you talk a bit more how the core team is setup? Is there a bigger organized structure that composes many core teams such as a cohort?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:09:41 PM)
Chong Xu, biotech is a hot topic on campus, with lots of connections to local companies, the BEP program, and a list of electives for students to take here at Sloan.

FV (Oct 7, 2008 1:09:49 PM)
 Divya: Do you have any experience with the S.O.S. (Significant other of Sloan) group at Sloan. How big/small is this group and what sort of activities do they do?

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:09:52 PM)
Vani Punam, we set up our Admissions interview schedule based on where the majority of applicants are located. I know that this year, we have a member of the Admissions committee who just moved to Delhi- so I imagine Delhi would be one of the cities. Possibly, Bangalore/Mumbai. It is too soon to tell right now.

jcullina (Oct 7, 2008 1:10:11 PM)
Shauna, what dates are Round 1 applicants typically notified to set up an interview, and during what weeks would these interviews typically occur? Do these often take place on the phone, or are they always in person? I'm asking because I will be doing some international business travel in November, and am slightly wary as to how flexible my schedule will be.

Israel Feuerberg (Oct 7, 2008 1:10:18 PM)
Jen: Thanks for your answers! What would my options be for an interview if invited given that I'm currently living in Venezuela?

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:10:37 PM)
FV, I'm not a member of S.O.S, but about a third of the students here are married.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:10:52 PM)
Israel, you'd probably be invited to come to Miami, but we ask to you list your top 3 interview locations on the app, and we'll invite you accordingly.

Linda Abraham (Oct 7, 2008 1:11:11 PM)
MIT’s R1 deadline is around the corner (Oct. 28). Any final words of advice for Sloan applicants planning to apply for your R1 deadline?

HassaniTurnerMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:12:01 PM)
Wannabie: We have 6 oceans of students (seventy students per ocean) and within your ocean there is your cohort or core team (6-7 students) that you do projects with and study with. The core team is named after a bird. So, I am a Baltic Penguin. Baltic is my ocean and Penguin is the name of my core team. The way you find out your oceans and core teams is quite exciting and so much fun!

ShaunaBarryMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:12:43 PM)
Jcullina, Round I applicants are typically notified for interviews in December/January. We will interview up until the decision deadline. The majority of interviews are conducted in person- we feel it is a significant disadvantage for candidates to interview over the phone. That said, in rare cases, such as if you are serving in Iraq etc, we will provide a phone interview.

dmw (Oct 7, 2008 1:12:43 PM)
(By the way- this is a fascinating experience! All these people on one chat...amazing!)

Linda Abraham (Oct 7, 2008 1:12:47 PM)
I agree.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:13:02 PM)
R1 Apps, take time to carefully answer our questions and follow directions. We are looking for applicants who are successful in their past experiences and looking to expand their opportunities by pursuing an MBA at MIT Sloan.

Linda Abraham (Oct 7, 2008 1:13:21 PM)
Thank you again all for participating. Special thanks to Jen, Shauna, Divya, and Hassani for joining us today.

We will post the transcript from this chat sometime late next week. You will be able to access it from Accepted.com's MIT Sloan MBA Zone .
We look forward to seeing you at future chats. On deck:

Cornell Johnson    October 13th
MIT Sloan            October 23rd
Consortium          October 23rd
Haas                   October 29th
Wharton              November 5th
Kellogg                November 10th

Please check the website for exact times and a complete listing of scheduled chats.

Good luck with your applications!

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:13:36 PM)
Thanks Linda, and thanks to everyone for participating!!!

DivyaJaniMIT (Oct 7, 2008 1:13:41 PM)
Thanks everyone!

HJ (Oct 7, 2008 1:14:00 PM)
Thank you Linda!

Brian L. (Oct 7, 2008 1:14:03 PM)
Thank you all!

Ranjit (Oct 7, 2008 1:14:10 PM)
Thank you Jen / Shauna / Hassani / Divya and Linda !!

Vivek Pai (Oct 7, 2008 1:14:18 PM)
Thank you Linda!

Jacob (Oct 7, 2008 1:14:23 PM)
Thank you Jen, Shauna, and Linda, as well as alumni Hassani and Divya :)!

Aziz (Oct 7, 2008 1:14:31 PM)
Thanks Everybody, I wish I could contact with MIT people again! :(

FG (Oct 7, 2008 1:14:33 PM)
Thank you; it was extremely helpful!

Antonio Zarza (Oct 7, 2008 1:14:34 PM)
Gracias!

ify (Oct 7, 2008 1:14:47 PM)
Thank you all, participants and hosts. I learned a lot from all the concerns and questions raised.

FV (Oct 7, 2008 1:14:48 PM)
Thanks everyone from around the globe!

fee (Oct 7, 2008 1:14:53 PM)
Extremely helpful. Thanks a lot!

Apaar (Oct 7, 2008 1:14:57 PM)
Thanx!! Very insightful!

Vivek Pai (Oct 7, 2008 1:15:03 PM)
Thanks Jennifer, Shauna, Divya and Hassani! This was very informative. I will be at the MIT Sloan on the Road event in NYC on the 14th - I look forward to it and maybe meeting you then.

Israel Feuerberg (Oct 7, 2008 1:15:34 PM)
Thanks a lot for your time and help!

chezhiyan (Oct 7, 2008 1:15:35 PM)
God bless MIT :-)

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room