2009 Kellogg MBA Admissions Chat with Beth Flye

2009 Kellogg MBA Admissions Chat with Beth Flye

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:00:00 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com’s Kellogg Admissions Chat and congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management. It is critical to your decision making process and your admission chances that you know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask experts about this top business school.

I also want to welcome our special guests today:

• Beth Flye is the Assistant Dean & Director of Admissions and Financial Aid at Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management. Prior to this position, Beth served as Senior Associate Director of Admissions for the Darden Graduate School of Business Administration at the University of Virginia.
  • Leigh Nagy Frasher is an Associate Director in the Career Management Center at Kellogg. Prior to this position, she spent 9 years in brand management in the consumer packaged goods industry. While at Kraft Foods, she ran the Wharton Undergraduate On Campus Recruiting team and at Little Tikes, she led all recruiting efforts, hiring undergrads, MBAs and experienced hires through both on campus and off campus channels. She has researched extensively generations X and Y. Leigh received her undergrad degree from Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania.
  • Jennifer Stoltz, Kellogg’s Senior Associate Director of Admissions, has been with the Kellogg School of Management since 2003. Her responsibilities at the Kellogg School include managing the One-Year MBA Program and women’s initiatives. Prior to joining the Kellogg School, Jennifer worked in recruitment for an investment consulting firm.
  • Lionel Charmetant is a second-year student in the full-time MBA program at Kellogg. He is French and got married 3 months prior to moving to Evanston. Prior to Kellogg, he spent 4 years at Morgan Stanley in London, and 3 years at Barclays Capital in Paris. He recently interned at BCG Paris, and is very excited to soon go on exchange in SASIN, Bangkok, for the winter quarter.
  • Blaire Fraser is also a 2nd year student, with intended majors in Marketing, Management & Strategy and Decision Science. Additionally, she is Co-chair of the Admissions Committee, Co-chair of the Annual Kellogg Marketing Competition and leads the marketing efforts for the Kellogg Women’s Leadership Workshop. Prior to Kellogg, she received her BA in International Relations from Stanford University, and then moved to New York where she spent four years in a variety of marketing and business development roles at American Express. Blaire spent this past summer as a brand management intern at Diageo, where she helped develop strategy and marketing plans for Bushmills and Johnnie Walker. She intends to return to Diageo as an assistant brand manager following graduation.

Thanks to everyone for joining.

Aravind (Nov 10, 2008 12:01:54 PM)
Beth: Have you started sending interview invites? If so what percentage has been sent?

Aravind (Nov 10, 2008 12:02:20 PM)
Jennifer: For a reapplicant who received an interview call last year, how likely is it that he will receive an interview call this year also?

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:02:39 PM)
Leigh, In light of the current economic climate, how is recruiting going this year?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:02:46 PM)
Hi Aravind. As you may know, we do not have an invitational interview policy. However, we have begun matching alumni with candidates who have requested an alumni interview.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:03:15 PM)
Aravind: As Beth just mentioned, interviews are not done by invitation so I can't really make a guess as to whether you will receive notice for an interview this year.

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:03:19 PM)
Lionel & Blaire, what do you like best at Kellogg? What would you like to see improved?

Vani Punam (Nov 10, 2008 12:03:49 PM)
Jennifer: Hello and thanks very much for this opportunity today. I have applied in R1, have completed my interview, and am waiting with baited breath. Could you please help me understand the process of admission once the interview has been completed?

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:04:12 PM)
Linda, I think the best thing about Kellogg is the energy and passion of the student body.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:04:30 PM)
Vani, there is a very complete review process and typically your file is first read by a student on the Admissions Committee. Then a file is passed on to an Admissions Officer, like myself, and finally reviewed by Beth Flye, the head of Admissions.

Aravind (Nov 10, 2008 12:04:49 PM)
Jennifer: What is the increase in applicant pool?

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:05:08 PM)
Linda, what I like best is actually two things: First how incredibly involved students are in the school life, and second, the level of access to top-notch recruiters, faculty and speakers.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:05:20 PM)
Linda, recruiting is mixed this year. There are certain industries that are definitely challenging for second years, such as financial services and real estate this year due to the economy. Luckily at Kellogg, we have a diversity of industries that recruit here. So we have a nice balance with heavy manufacturing, pharma/biotech, high tech, etc. They are all recruiting this fall.

chrissie (Nov 10, 2008 12:05:25 PM)
Blaire & Lionel: What is unique about the Kellogg MBA?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:05:39 PM)
Vani, we make decisions based on consensus, so you can feel good about the fact that your application received a complete review. We do begin releasing decisions once we have made them - some schools hold all decisions until the very end. Please note that an early or late decision release doesn't mean anything about the quality of your application.

Vani Punam (Nov 10, 2008 12:05:55 PM)
Beth: Could you please talk about the weight given to the interview in the entire admissions process?

VK (Nov 10, 2008 12:06:33 PM)
Leigh: How is the summer internship recruitment shaping up for the class of 2010?

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:06:55 PM)
Also, on recruiting we are preparing for what might happen for the rest of the year. Which included reaching out to over 100 companies this summer, more companies this fall, and we expect to knock on doors for the rest of this year.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:07:09 PM)
Hi Vani. Our evaluation process is completely holistic so no weight is assigned to the interview or any element of criteria. The interview is valuable in that it provides the "person" perspective in addition to the "file" perspective.

chrissie (Nov 10, 2008 12:07:17 PM)
Beth: How important is undergrad performance and what makes a strong candidate?

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:07:47 PM)
Chrissie, I think one of the things that is unique about the Kellogg MBA is how involved students are in the school. We have a truly student-driven culture where we have an opportunity to lead everything from clubs, to conferences to events like DAK for incoming students. This gives you great leadership opportunities across the board. It also gives us a chance to help shape the school and leave our mark on the culture and community. The undergraduate record is important because we want to see evidence that a candidate can come in and succeed academically at Kellogg.

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:08:26 PM)
Lionel & Blaire, at this point in time what is the biggest take-away from your Kellogg experience? How will you lead or manage differently as a result of it?

TonyZ (Nov 10, 2008 12:08:36 PM)
Beth, have the acceptance and rejection offers started to be given out? If not yet, when will it start?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:08:54 PM)
Tony - I'll answer this one for Beth!

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:09:17 PM)
VK, for summer internship recruiting, we are hearing from companies that pretty much everyone is coming back to recruit. Again, in industries such as financial services and real estate, we expect hiring numbers to be down compared to last year, but we all know that they need a pipeline for full time, 2010 employees, which they will hire from their interns. So, we feel more positive on the internship front, because companies are coming back, but still cautious and realistic.

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:09:21 PM)
Chrissie, the uniqueness that I perceive - the highlight being on "I",  is how incredibly generalist the school is. If you could see the data for the subscribers to the different email lists, you would see a very balanced picture across general management, finance, marketing and consulting.

Tony Robb (Nov 10, 2008 12:09:24 PM)
Leigh: I am applying to Kellogg as an international student. Is there a facility that will help students like myself get jobs upon graduation, given that I would require HB1 sponsorship and many companies are reluctant to sponsor?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:09:32 PM)
Tony Z: Decisions have not begun to be released but they will be shortly. We don't have an exact date as we need to feel as though we've gotten a sense for the Round 1 pool before decisions are released. But know that you will receive a decision by the final deadline of January 7th and Kellogg will let you know when your status has changed.
BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:09:37 PM)
Chrissie, there is no template or formula to give a firm definition of a great candidate as there are so many elements that go into the mix; and every applicant is different which is of course a very positive thing!

Vani Punam (Nov 10, 2008 12:10:33 PM)
Thanks for your reply, Jennifer. By when are all decisions expected to be released for Round 1? Will we get to know earlier if we are denied admission?

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:10:47 PM)
Linda- I think the biggest takeaway from my Kellogg experience is the power of teams and how critical it is as a leader to be able to engage and empower everyone in your group/organization. I think that this is something that Kellogg prepares us for better than anywhere else.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:11:44 PM)
Vani: All decisions are released by January 7th and let me assure you that the good news and bad news are released at the same time. Don't try to read too much into when we are releasing decisions as it's really all about when an application has made its way through the review process.

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:11:45 PM)
Lionel & Blaire, why did you choose Kellogg? Did it meet your expectations?

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:11:58 PM)
Linda, for me the biggest takeaway at Kellogg so far is an awareness of the huge gap between management theory and practice. The best strategy in the world will never make a difference if not followed-through properly. The school's focus on experiential learning is critical in understanding that gap and addressing its implications as a future business leader.

gyggles (Nov 10, 2008 12:12:21 PM)
Jennifer: Hi, I live in Canada, but due to visa restrictions cannot visit the US. I know a lot of schools encourage visiting the campus before applying, Will not visiting Kellogg before applying count against me?

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:12:51 PM)
Tony Robb, We have a number of resources at Kellogg to help international students get placement in the US. We have an internal taskforce made up of career management, Kellogg Student Association (student government) reps on global affairs, Student Affairs people dedicated to visa issues, and a student affairs staff member for global affairs. We all work together with outside legal counsel to update you on recent trends, issues, etc. We also do outreach and stay up to date with companies on what their feelings are.

em (Nov 10, 2008 12:13:04 PM)
Jennifer, I'm really interested in starting up my own business - what kind of support is there for me at Kellogg?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:13:13 PM)
Gyggles: We feel the visit to Kellogg can really help you decide whether this is a school you would like to be at for 1,2 3 years but we don't track whether you've visited and weigh this in our decision. People can learn about Kellogg in many different ways so we encourage you to do your online research and connect with students in the clubs that may interest you.

Adi (Nov 10, 2008 12:13:46 PM)
Leigh: How does Kellogg help in making a career switch from marketing to finance, after having 6 years of experience in the same field?

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:14:00 PM)
Linda, For me personally, it was mainly the promise of a collaborative environment - after 7 years in banking, I was looking forward to a different type of working relationship. Second- was the very generalist nature of the program, to correct my "finance bias". Third was the fact that partners seemed to be very welcome.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:14:04 PM)
Tony, I think all of us are very eager to see what happens with the H1B issue with the change of government. We are hopeful that things will change in our favor.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:14:19 PM)
Gyggles: We certainly do hope that if someone is admitted though, that they visit campus before a final decision is made.

MBA_London (Nov 10, 2008 12:14:32 PM)
Blaire: What is the percentage of international students in your MBA class?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:14:37 PM)
EM: There are many resources for a potential entrepreneur. First, you can take Entrepreneurship courses that are taught by people who have bought and sold MANY companies. There is also a business plan competition where students present to venture capitalists - some have started their business this way. Check out Andrew Yoon online to learn more about him. You can also be a part of the PEEK (Private Equity and Entrepreneurship Club) to generate ideas, gain feedback and be surrounded by like-minded people.

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:14:37 PM)
Linda, I chose Kellogg for its combination of outstanding academics, collaborative culture and great career opportunities, particularly in Marketing. It was also really important for me to find a place where I "fit" and both through speaking to alums and visiting the campus, I knew this was the right place for me.

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:15:01 PM)
MBA_London, the percent of international students in my class is 34%.

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:15:32 PM)
Lionel & Blaire what has been your favorite class? Professor?

em (Nov 10, 2008 12:15:38 PM)
Blaire: thanks - that sounds good.

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:15:38 PM)
Linda, Kellogg definitely delivered on all three promises plus nice add-ons.

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:16:07 PM)
Linda--my favorite class by far has been "Marketing Strategy" with Professor Julie Hennessy.

TonyZ (Nov 10, 2008 12:16:15 PM)
Thanks Jennifer! So I guess the only thing we can do is to wait patiently and check our application status online every Tuesday and Friday afternoon? Will I be informed first by an email from the admission or through online status change?

Kai_Zeng (Nov 10, 2008 12:16:36 PM)
Lionel & Blaire: As everyone knows that leadership is the most important trait that an MBA teaches, how would you think Kellogg shapes students' leadership and in what aspects compared to other top schools?

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:17:25 PM)
Adi, almost all of Kellogg students are career switchers, so this is pretty common for us. It really comes down to figuring out what you want to do, what you can leverage from your background (leading teams, analytical skills, strategic thinking) that is relevant to marketing, immersing yourself in marketing when you are here (marketing competitions, marketing club) and then pitching yourself appropriately. We have workshops, one on one counseling sessions and we work with companies to bring them here for educational events and competitions all to help you make the switch. We also work with the companies to remind them that most of our students are career switchers.

MBA_London (Nov 10, 2008 12:17:31 PM)
Hi Leigh, I'm planning on moving to the US for B-School, but I've grown up in London. What kinds of prospects do I have for international career development at Kellogg?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:17:39 PM)
TonyZ: You will be notified by Kellogg when your status has changed so no need to be hitting refresh on a schedule. You will drive yourself crazy waiting, so just sit back and wait for Kellogg to notify you!

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:17:51 PM)
Kai_Zeng, I think that one of the most important characteristics of Kellogg's perspective on leadership is the importance of "team leadership" and the ability to influence without direct authority.

VK (Nov 10, 2008 12:18:03 PM)
Beth: How is Kellogg different from other top B-schools?

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:18:06 PM)
MBA_London, Can you be more specific? What do you want to do?

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:18:24 PM)
Favorite class(es): Cross-cultural negotiations with professor Bauman, an outstanding experience. Marketing Strategy with professor Calkins, which provides a very thorough perspective on marketing. Third, Leadership in Organization, the first class taught to first years at Kellogg with professor Medvec. She is incredibly charismatic and knowledgeable on how to best operate in an organization and best influence teams.

sudhir (Nov 10, 2008 12:18:34 PM)
Hi Leigh, how good are finance placements at Kellogg? How helpful will it be for someone who intends to do his MBA in finance?
LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:18:59 PM)
Sudhir, we generally have 25-30% of the class go into financial services. All of the major investment banks recruit at Kellogg and we expect that to continue. We have a strong and passionate alumni base on Wall Street. Now, the bigger question is what will financial services look like due to the economy in the next 2-3 years, but that impacts all of the schools.

MBA_London (Nov 10, 2008 12:19:06 PM)
Sure Leigh. I currently work in Pharma but I am looking to move into consulting.

VK (Nov 10, 2008 12:19:07 PM)
Jennifer: What has been the average GMAT score for R1 applicants?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:19:08 PM)
Hi VK. I could offer a lot with my response, but I will focus on one particular element which is collaboration. Collaboration is very core to the entire fabric of the Kellogg culture. By having a collaborative environment inside and outside of the classroom, our students learn to harness the best ideas and solutions through the power of many minds working together versus relying on the thoughts of one person alone. VK, if you enjoy a collaborative environment, you would love Kellogg!

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:19:09 PM)
Kai- One thing that is different in Kellogg is that we don't have a fixed "learning team" in the 1st year, so throughout your classes, you're continually learning how to work with a range of people (which I feel is much more realistic for our future careers).

em (Nov 10, 2008 12:19:40 PM)
Blaire, are there many women in your class?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:19:46 PM)
VK: Actually, I don't know. You can look at our profile online to see the averages for the entering class of 2008, but this is only one data point we look at - don't get stuck on it.
Kai_Zeng (Nov 10, 2008 12:19:48 PM)
Yes, that's one reason Kellogg attracts me. Besides team, any other aspects?

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:20:18 PM)
Kai_Zeng, to me the experiential learning component that Kellogg insists on is key, it is not just about reading 1,000 cases, it is about PRACTICING and in that respect we have loads of "labs", simulations, games, etc. In addition to an extremely - almost too much - active student body.

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:20:35 PM)
Em--yes, there are a lot of very talented women in my class! Across all programs we're at about 34% but it's a bit higher for the 2 Year program.

em (Nov 10, 2008 12:20:44 PM)
Blaire: Do you plan to work in the US when you graduate?

Vani Punam (Nov 10, 2008 12:20:54 PM)
Beth: I can imagine that interviewing every applicant must be a very difficult task. I am curious to understand why you do it, since most other schools have interviews by invitation only. However, it's great that you give everyone the opportunity to interview!

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:20:55 PM)
MBA_London, consulting firms are very open to international students and we have huge relationships with all of the top, midsize, and even small consulting companies. Your career development would be quite good here. We have many students from London who wanted to move to the US for consulting. Specifically, we bring the companies to campus, the consulting club has tons of events each week to prepare you, we bring in alumni to help revise your resumes and learn more about the field, etc.

Kai_Zeng (Nov 10, 2008 12:21:16 PM)
Beth: I applied in R1, and although at first I was scheduled for an interview, the assigned interviewer became too busy. As I was waiting for a new interviewer, I received an interview waive letter. Can I ask for another interview opportunity?  Especially in light of my entrepreneur background in Education and Art industry, which I think is very special.

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:21:16 PM)
Em: Yes, I am planning to return to Diageo (which is based in NY) after graduation.

em (Nov 10, 2008 12:21:27 PM)
Jennifer: What is the earliest that I can get a decision for the 2009 intake?

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:21:45 PM)
Kai_Zeng: There is also this class called "leadership in organization", the first seminar you are given in first year,  which has completely changed my vision of leadership and what it implies. I have written a 3-page summary of it, and it will be the most critical paper to keep with me for the rest of my career.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:22:20 PM)
EM: I can tell you that we have not begun to release Round 1 decisions yet and I don't have a target date for when we will begin to do so. I can tell you that you will hear from us when a decision is made!

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:22:39 PM)
Hi Vani. We want as much information as possible about each applicant as that enables us to make the most informed decision. The interview helps to serve that purpose in our evaluative efforts.

gyggles (Nov 10, 2008 12:22:41 PM)
Jennifer: , Do you plan on organizing any receptions in Canada? Specifically Toronto? How can I get in touch with alumni in the Toronto/Waterloo area?

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:23:15 PM)
Kai_Zeng: I've also had the chance to take a great class called "Managerial Leadership" taught by Harry Kraemer, the former CEO of Baxter, and it's been incredibly helpful in my own personal leadership development.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:23:16 PM)
Gyggles: We do have events in Toronto! The Toronto info session has already taken place but I believe there may be some student led events over winter break. Gyggles: Make sure that you have registered yourself in our system to hear about events and we'll send you invitation information.

tkno (Nov 10, 2008 12:23:23 PM)
Lionel and Blaire: Hi, can someone tell me more about Kellogg Corps? Do companies allow recently hired Kellogg grads to go off for volunteering projects? If so, what has been the Kellogg Corp's longest mission ? I am interested in volunteering for NGOs when I graduate (but not willing to make this a career yet). I know some Kellogg students in the SEEK program do that after they graduate. I just want to find out about the logistics

gyggles (Nov 10, 2008 12:23:51 PM)
I plan on visiting next year, I should have a visa by then, so I will certainly visit before making any final decisions. Thank you!

rb (Nov 10, 2008 12:24:07 PM)
Jennifer: What kind of qualities are you looking for in a prospective student?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:24:16 PM)
Hi Kai. You do not need to worry as this occasionally happens as we do this to remain timely with the evaluations. We will reach out to you if we should need to discuss anything in your application.

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:24:20 PM)
Kai_Zeng, I think another reason is the international opportunities you are offered: the school really offers a lot: KWEST program takes place a week before school starts where students spend a week abroad. Then there are 2-wk GIM trips where about two thirds of the class goes abroad during spring break. We also have more than 20 exchange programs.

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:24:32 PM)
Leigh: What is Kellogg doing differently this year than it did last year or two years ago?

VK (Nov 10, 2008 12:24:42 PM)
Beth: What is the current status on loans to international students without a US co-signor?

sudhir (Nov 10, 2008 12:25:15 PM)
I am an Indian applicant and financing my MBA is something very important to me. I don't have any co- signor in US. After the global meltdown and Citi backing out from students loans, how is Kellogg helping international students with loans?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:25:33 PM)
RB: Oh boy, this is a tough question. Let me say that you should think about who you are and what is most important to you and tell us about this in your application. This is important to us b/c we are looking for a very diverse class. There truly is not an easy way to answer this question I'm afraid.

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:25:45 PM)
Tkno--I don't specifically know a lot about Kellogg Corps but their website should have some more information.

em (Nov 10, 2008 12:26:04 PM)
Blaire: Wow - 34% is pretty high for an MBA Program isn't it? That sounds encouraging.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:26:25 PM)
Hello VK. The Northwestern Loan Program is still intact and we remain very optimistic that Kellogg/Northwestern will continue its commitment to make financial assistance available for candidates who want to join Kellogg.

Kai_Zeng (Nov 10, 2008 12:26:30 PM)
Beth, how do you evaluate the reapplicant versus the new applicant?

Javier (Nov 10, 2008 12:26:41 PM)
Jennifer: Regarding accepting candidates, is there any weight given to foreign applicants vs. US applicants?

em (Nov 10, 2008 12:27:23 PM)
Blaire: Do you have a job lined up or are you still looking? How have you found your Careers Team has helped in your job search?

rb (Nov 10, 2008 12:27:42 PM)
For All: When you talk about a "Collaborative Environment" what do you mean? Can you give some examples please?

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:27:57 PM)
Em-Yes, we're really excited about the pool of women at Kellogg and I think it points to a positive trend overall. Luckily we're seeing a similar trend at many of the top MBA programs in the US.

Kai_Zeng (Nov 10, 2008 12:28:07 PM)
Leigh, as I want to start up my own Art Company in the future, what kind of related resource does Kellogg have that can help people like me who are in special industries? I have already talked to many alumni and students, but unfortunately, none are familiar with the career opportunities or other practical aspects.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:28:12 PM)
Kai, the new application will be the focal point for the decision, not the prior application. Since we must keep applications on file for 2 years, we will be checking to see what has changed/improved with the new application versus the previous one, if you had applied during the last 2 years of course.

Kai_Zeng (Nov 10, 2008 12:28:17 PM)
Lionel, yes, these special opportunities are what I am looking for in my MBA study.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:28:23 PM)
Javier, It's really important for us to have a class that is very diverse. Where you are from, where you've been educated or where you have worked is one form of diversity. However, how you think and the perspective that you will bring is also very important. There is not more or less weight given to International students in the process and we are evaluating people as individuals.

kelloggmba (Nov 10, 2008 12:28:44 PM)
Blaire: How easy/difficult is it to major in more than one area at Kellogg? I plan to start my own business in a few years, and am looking to major in Entrepreneurship, Finance & Strategy.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:29:06 PM)
Linda, in anticipation of a challenging year, all of us in the Career Management Center went out on the road this summer and reached out to more than 100 companies to ask for them to recruit our students. Also, we developed a new workshop series of 8 different workshops covering how to do an independent job search/off campus job search. Our director is currently on the road talking to companies to get them to recruit. In addition, once on campus recruiting is over and we get a sense of where our students are in regards to job search needs - we will put into place a number of tactics - outreach to alumni, getting our Senior Administrators involved, etc.

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:29:48 PM)
Em-Yes, I have recently decided to accept my summer internship offer from Diageo in brand management. I found the CMC very helpful throughout the recruiting process last year. They provided counseling, training, mock interviews (with video recording) as well as direct access to a multitude of recruiters.

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:29:53 PM)
RB: To me, collaborative means that when you want to practice case recruiting, you can ask anyone with a consulting background and you will get 20 sessions lined up even if everyone is incredibly busy.

MBA_London (Nov 10, 2008 12:30:03 PM)
Blaire: Is there much opportunity to go on an exchange program?

sudhir (Nov 10, 2008 12:30:20 PM)
Jennifer: Kellogg has traditionally been known to be a marketing and General Management school. How do you intend to attract the students who want to major in Finance?

MBA_London (Nov 10, 2008 12:30:33 PM)
Beth: Do you use quotas when recruiting - I'm living in London, but I have Australian citizenship - would it be better to emphasize this on my application?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:31:08 PM)
Sudhir: It's interesting for me to hear from Alumni at all of our information sessions that they felt they had excellent finance courses and they feel as though it's "undiscovered" at Kellogg.

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:31:14 PM)
KelloggMBA: It is relatively easy to major in more than one area at Kellogg. For example, I am majoring in marketing, decision science and management and strategy. One of the great things about Kellogg is that you can truly personalize your MBA experience and take classes across a range of subjects that interest you. As early as Winter quarter of my first year, I was already able to take electives.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:32:01 PM)
Hi MBA_London. We do not use quotas. Our evaluation philosophy is to focus on quality, meaning admitting the best applicants. Beyond the quality factor, we also want to build a very diverse and interesting class. As for whether or not you should focus on your London experience, that is entirely up to you.

Vani Punam (Nov 10, 2008 12:32:08 PM)
Beth: Do you encourage applicants to contact the Admissions office or send additional material while waiting for the decision to show continued interest in the program?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:32:09 PM)
Sudhir: I think we all have to think about perception vs. reality and the reality is that Kellogg has some top professors in finance who are also top in terms of research. One of the professors who teaches Derivatives wrote the book that's used at most B-School around the world. I think people need to talk to students about the reality of finance at Kellogg - we have people going into top banks from Kellogg just like other schools!

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:32:10 PM)
RB, another example of collaboration: I am writing a business plan about a retail concept. I know nothing about it, but sent an email to the retail club. I got 12 offers to help from students with a background in retail within the first 45 minutes!

MBA_London (Nov 10, 2008 12:32:12 PM)
Lionel: I'd be looking to move my partner out to the states (from UK) with me. Are there any opportunities for him to be involved in School life?

MPEREZ (Nov 10, 2008 12:32:25 PM)
Jennifer: Are their courses or any plans to offer courses in interactive marketing?

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:32:27 PM)
MBA_London: Yes, there are several opportunities to go on exchange. Most students who do this take advantage of the opportunity in their second year (either fall or winter). We also have the GIM program, which many Kellogg students take advantage of 1st year which is kind of like a "mini-exchange".

Vivien (Nov 10, 2008 12:32:36 PM)
Beth: What are some of the criteria you look at in interviews?

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:33:13 PM)
Kai_Zeng, you're right, that's a pretty specific industry choice. I work every year with people who are very focused on what they want to do. For example last year a student wanted to work only in the wine industry. What we do is a lot of one on one work (in addition to our independent job search workshop series). First, in the counseling appointments, we figured out what he wanted to do. Then we talked through all of the different avenues to expand his network, fine tuned his networking strategies, and offered support every step of the way. In the end he got a job at a company out west in marketing at Bottlenotes, which is a wine company.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:33:26 PM)
MPEREZ: To be honest, I am not that familiar with the marketing curriculum. I would encourage you to reach out to students in the marketing club to learn about any course developments in interactive marketing.

MPEREZ (Nov 10, 2008 12:33:45 PM)
Jennifer: What are the major differences between attending Kellogg part time vs. full time?

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:34:24 PM)
MBA_London - Absolutely - all partners can be part of clubs. My wife took 3 or 4 marketing classes as an auditor. Some spouses work at Kellogg, although I am not sure of the process. My wife was looking for a job in the art industry, so she could take part to a team within the "Neighborhood Initiative" club (NBI), and worked with a team of students on a marketing strategy for the Field Museum, which allowed her to kick-start her networking here.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:34:24 PM)
MPEREZ: The classes are often the same, but the experience is very different. In a Part-time program you are working all day and going to class at night and then in whatever free time you have you are studying, attending group meetings, etc. In a FT Program you can fully dedicate yourself to learning - attending speaker events, conferences, leading clubs, etc. The PT program doesn't leave a lot of time to do these things. But these programs exist b/c it's an individual decision and both are valuable ways to get an MBA.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:34:55 PM)
Vani, candidates are welcome to contact us anytime, particularly if someone has any questions. As for sending additional materials, my advice is that use your best judgment, i.e. if you believe that sending in X material would be pertinent and valuable to the admissions team with regard to your candidacy, then you could send it in. If that would not be the case, I would advise not doing so.

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:35:12 PM)
Leigh, is there anything applicants can do before they start their MBA to improve their chances of finding a job after their MBA?

TonyZ (Nov 10, 2008 12:35:25 PM)
Beth: Do 1Y program applicants have equal opportunities to be granted a scholarship compare to 2Y applicants?

sudhir (Nov 10, 2008 12:36:17 PM)
Hi Leigh: How challenging would it for Kellogg to place students in Financial services and Investment banking after the Global meltdown?

em (Nov 10, 2008 12:36:21 PM)
Blaire: How did you arrange your summer internship? Did you have to apply for it like a regular job?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:36:32 PM)
Hi Vivien. Some of the things that come to my mind about what we are assessing in interviews include maturity, presence, good communication/interpersonal skills, confidence, clear reasons about goals and why Kellogg, etc.

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:36:33 PM)
MPEREZ: We do have a class on tech marketing as well as one on internet marketing.

Javier (Nov 10, 2008 12:37:02 PM)
Jennifer: What is the minimum grade required for the TOEFL (IBT)? I could not find that info on the website.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:37:13 PM)
Javier: There are no minimums for test scores but you can find information on averages in our class profile.

Kai_Zeng (Nov 10, 2008 12:37:14 PM)
Will that be a disadvantage of the application because it is not so popular compared to Banking and Consulting?

Vani Punam (Nov 10, 2008 12:37:39 PM)
Thanks very much for your responses, Jennifer and Beth.

MBA_London (Nov 10, 2008 12:37:42 PM)
Lionel: That sounds like a great opportunity - does a partner have to pay to audit a course/are there any restrictions? I'm not sure how my boyfriend would feel about taking the GMAT!

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:38:10 PM)
Linda, yes, absolutely. The first would be self-assessment. The easiest is to think about what you liked/disliked about your last jobs. Your favorite projects you worked on, favorite skills you used, etc. Then boil that down into your favorite skills/experiences that you'd like to use in the future. Think also about what you are passionate about industry-wise - Do you love the markets, interested in technology, passionate about emerging markets? Then brainstorm about what jobs might combine your interests and skills that you like to use. Go out and talk to people who do those jobs to figure out if you really do like what they do. If you can come into Kellogg knowing what you want to do, you will make your life so much easier.

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:38:12 PM)
Em: My summer internship employer participated in on-campus recruiting. In terms of process, I applied for an interview slot with the CMC and then completed multiple interviews on campus. I believe I had to submit my resume and a cover letter upfront. I also attended a company presentation in the Fall.

Bryan Mulholland (Nov 10, 2008 12:38:12 PM)
Jennifer: Aloha from Hawaii! I have a question regarding military students within the Kellogg Program. Is there an average percent that you have within the full time program of ex-military students?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:38:35 PM)
Hi TonyZ. Generally speaking, the answer is yes. Some of our scholarships may have specific criteria that may sometimes include the designation of a particular program, i.e. some scholarships may be just for MMM and 2Y, another for just international students, etc.

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:38:40 PM)
MBA_London: No it's free (kind of, considering my tuition fees ;-) )! Also no GMAT required for him/her, just a quick email to the professor!

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:38:54 PM)
It's "included."

Kai_Zeng (Nov 10, 2008 12:38:59 PM)
Lionel & Blaire: What surprised you most at Kellogg? Maybe something that you didn't expect or imagine before getting into Kellogg?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:38:59 PM)
Kai-Zeng: We try to build the most diverse class as possible at Kellogg, so no, you would absolutely NOT be at a disadvantage if you are coming from an industry other than banking or consulting.

VK (Nov 10, 2008 12:39:24 PM)
Beth: Can you give us a sense of increase in applications this year?

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:39:37 PM)
Em: Students at Kellogg get their internships in a bunch of different ways--On campus recruiting, off campus recruiting and independent searches (which are a bit more like regular job searching).

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:39:41 PM)
What you should NOT do - as soon as you get your acceptance, is quit before the year is out. Don't have a gap of a year between when your last job ended and next job began.

Niraj (Nov 10, 2008 12:39:44 PM)
Jennifer: When the class profile outlines the amount of work-experience for the most recent class, does it reflect the amount of work-experience accumulated at the time of application, or is the amount accumulated by the time the program starts?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:39:56 PM)
VK, at the present time, our applications are up by 17% compared to this time last year.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:40:02 PM)
Bryan: I actually don't know about the % of military, ex-military, folks at Kellogg. If you wanted to get connected to this community at Kellogg I'd encourage you to reach out to the Veterans Club.

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:40:07 PM)
Great point, Leigh.

VK (Nov 10, 2008 12:40:29 PM)
Jennifer: When talking about collaborative environment, what qualities do you look for in prospective students?

TonyZ (Nov 10, 2008 12:40:41 PM)
Leigh, can you comment on the recruitment prospects for Kellogg students in the East Asia region? Are they actively recruiting top US MBAs? How much do they evaluate Kellogg brand compared to other schools?

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:40:54 PM)
Kai: One of the things that surprised me at Kellogg was how busy I would be! I thought I was good at time management coming into school, but the MBA experience takes it to a whole new level with the combination of classes, clubs, recruiting and social opportunities.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:41:06 PM)
Niraj: You will see in Part One of the application that we ask for the number of years of experience upon matriculation. This is how it's calculated!

saharasnow (Nov 10, 2008 12:41:44 PM)
To Kellogg Admissions, When an off campus interview is scheduled, will the Admission office make sure the alumni interviewer submit feedback on time? Will I be notified when my interviewer submitted feedback? Thanks.

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:41:59 PM)
Kai_Zeng, my surprise at Kellogg? The absolutely stellar reputation of the school in the US. From France it was sometimes difficult to perceive differences between US MBAs. Also, how much you need to work at school!

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:42:03 PM)
VK: To start, do you want this environment for B-school? It may not be for everyone and we want to know that you appreciate a collaborative environment and why.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:42:10 PM)
Sudhir, The credit crisis has impacted all of us (regardless of what business school you are at). Many companies are on a hiring freeze which impacted our second year students who were hoping to interview for banking. There were only a handful of companies who are still going to hire full time applicants. For internships, it looks more promising as they still are looking to hire (reduced numbers) to fill their pipeline in case the market does turn around.

sudhir (Nov 10, 2008 12:42:15 PM)
Beth: I realize that a well rounded application is what all "top" schools look for and Kellogg is no exception. But how big of a factor is diversity?  My demographic doesn't do anything to help me in terms of being an Indian, but since I am a Chartered Accountant and different from the rest of the IT pool, will this work to my advantage?

em (Nov 10, 2008 12:42:16 PM)
Leigh: How many companies come to campus to recruit?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:43:09 PM)
Hello Saharasnow. Our alumni are quite good about sending in their evaluative reports, however we do contact them when necessary.

MBA_London (Nov 10, 2008 12:43:18 PM)
Lionel: Does my partner get any rights to work in the US if I'm an MBA student?

GGSF (Nov 10, 2008 12:43:36 PM)
Beth: what is the best way to address a career gap of a year on your resume?

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:43:48 PM)
What we are hearing from the firms who are on hiring freezes is that our students should stay in touch because there is a lot of money sitting on the sidelines, and when the markets open up that money will come into play and firms will need to hire. We are hoping that there could be opportunistic hiring at the end of the year if the markets turn around.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:43:55 PM)
Bryan: It's a great community of Veterans so enjoy your communication with students!

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:44:37 PM)
Lionel & Blaire, what do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:44:45 PM)
Hi Sudhir. I cannot say how advantageous that would be for you. I strongly encourage you to remember that every applicant is unique and different. Stay focused on who you are and share that in your application; that is how your diversity and differentiation will shine.

Vivien (Nov 10, 2008 12:45:04 PM)
Jennifer: From past experience, what other quality could a successful applicant show that he/she can manage the academic, despite having a GPA and GMAT score lower than the average of admitted class? Could professional designations after undergrad be considered helpful?

sudhir (Nov 10, 2008 12:45:09 PM)
Hi Beth, I am a Chartered Accountant (from India) and our curriculum asks for mandatory full time Articleship during the course. It's not post-qualification experience, although I have had friends admitted at LBS where articleship is considered as experience. Does Kellogg consider this as work experience as well?
Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:45:33 PM)
Leigh, are there ANY sectors where hiring is holding up?

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:45:34 PM)
MBA_London I am NOT qualified to provide visa advice, but with this caveat it depends on your type of visa: with an F-1 she cannot get a work permit, but with a J-1 visa (if you're sponsored basically) she can. She also can ask a company in the US to apply for an H1-B visa, but that would be done independently from your visa application. Another thing you can do it apply for the Green card lottery. We won last year and it makes things much simpler. Deadline is beginning of December.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:45:39 PM)
Hello GGSF. I would encourage you to address the gap in your resume, during your interview and in the "additional information" area.

Kai_Zeng (Nov 10, 2008 12:45:49 PM)
Beth: How do you evaluate people who are responsible for social impact and want to make a change in the industry or society? As an entrepreneur who wants to help people, I may not earn as much money or be involved in projects with as much money as banking or fortune 500 companies. For example, my business is trying to educate college students to make career plans and begin self-discovery before graduation.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:45:50 PM)
Em, I just looked, and for summer internships we have 265 companies in our system who will be coming on campus to recruit. The diversity of industries within that number is very large for Kellogg.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:46:16 PM)
Sudhir, we would view your Articleship as part of your experience.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:46:18 PM)
Vivien: We do look for academic excellence so we can feel comfortable that you can handle the rigor of Kellogg. We would look at grades (whether they improved over time) and the rigor of someone's work experience in a qualitative/quantitative sense.

Javier (Nov 10, 2008 12:46:23 PM)
Jennifer: How important are extra-curricular activities in an applicant's assessment?

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:46:29 PM)
Linda: I would have arrived in Evanston more than 4 days before school started with no place to stay! Really, that is what we did!

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:46:46 PM)
Vivien: Sometimes people do choose to take a course in order to best prepare themselves for the rigor of Kellogg. I see this more on the quant side of things.

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:47:06 PM)
Beth, what will Kellogg's waitlist procedures be this year?

em (Nov 10, 2008 12:47:13 PM)
Wow, Leigh. That's impressive. Are companies mainly finance and consulting or is there a lot of industry representation as well?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:47:17 PM)
Javier: I can tell you that pulling a list together makes it seem like you did this just to look good in the application process! :)

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:47:31 PM)
Linda--I felt pretty prepared coming into Kellogg. I think the only thing I wish I'd spent a bit more time thinking about was where I wanted to focus my internship recruiting. I ended up recruiting for consulting and brand which was a lot to handle. Ideally students should have a bit more focus coming in to make the job search process easier.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:47:56 PM)
Kai, that evaluation would be based on the information that you give us, in your essays, the interview, and also via the feedback from your recommendations. So, the more information that you can provide for us, the more thorough evaluation we can make.

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:48:02 PM)
Linda, joking aside, I wish I had taken part of the KWEST trip. I was on my honeymoon, so I really could not, but the bonds which are created between students during this one-week abroad are really impressive!

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:48:28 PM)
Linda, the industries that are holding up are pharma/healthcare/biotech, energy and heavy manufacturing for full time, and many more for summer internships. We are very happy that we have strong relationships with companies in these industries right now. General management interest is way up in our first year class and luckily we have a lot of companies that hire for this. Please check out our employment statistics which show a good representation of the diversity of industries.

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:48:35 PM)
Jennifer: Is there any advice that you have specifically for international applicants?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:48:56 PM)
Javier: We know that some people have incredibly demanding jobs that may not allow for continual involvement in activities. We want to know how you spend your time outside of work, assuming you do more than work and sleep SOME days, and how you may be engaged at Kellogg. As you probably know, Kellogg students are very active and we want to know that you will do the same!

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:48:57 PM)
It's nice to look at the bright side. Thanks, Leigh.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:49:05 PM)
Thanks for the question, Linda. Our waitlist procedures for this year will be similar to the recent years in that we will periodically review it, and admit from the waitlist as we need to do so through out the season.

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:49:29 PM)
Linda-I think one of the best things I did was go on a KWEST trip before the start of class. This was one of my most memorable experiences and I think it is pretty unique to Kellogg. You come into school with an established sense of community and a group of 20 people you know inside and out.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:49:41 PM)
Linda: Nothing other than be yourself! This goes for any applicant but it is VERY important for you to not think about what we want to hear, rather what is important to you.

Kai_Zeng (Nov 10, 2008 12:49:53 PM)
Jennifer & Beth: After seeing so many students, how do you feel Kellogg has impacted them the most after two-years life? What kind of improvement do you see they gained, both personally and professionally, and specifically from Kellogg?

Bryan Mulholland (Nov 10, 2008 12:50:39 PM)
Jennifer: I desire to learn a second language (Arabic) while attending an MBA program. Is it possible to integrate the language into the F/T Program effectively without disrupting the core curriculum and electives? Is this something that Kellogg would encourage completing while pursuing an MBA focusing on International Business and Markets?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:50:41 PM)
Kai_Zeng: It's great to see students develop while at Kellogg. In terms of improvements I see growth in terms of leadership.  I am fortunate to work with many student groups and as 2nd year students, I see them as more confident leaders who can identify problems and resolve them before they negatively impact a group. It's great!

em (Nov 10, 2008 12:50:42 PM)
Thanks Leigh, I'll check that out.

gyggles (Nov 10, 2008 12:51:05 PM)
Beth: Hi, I have a background in Arts. Are there particular courses you recommend that I take before starting the MBA?

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:51:09 PM)
Em, Check out our summers internships too. While consulting is big at Kellogg, it's still only 20% of the summer class. The diversity is strong.

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:51:56 PM)
Bryan: You can take a Berlitz class and I believe there are also opportunities through Northwestern to take language classes without disrupting your core curriculum.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:52:25 PM)
Kai_Zeng, I would say that each student departs with more confidence, and an exceptionally stronger ability to frame issues, challenges and problems. I.e., an ability to put structure around unstructured and ambiguous situations in order to assess a situation, and make recommendations for approaches and solutions.

em (Nov 10, 2008 12:52:25 PM)
Leigh: do you think that consulting is less well-represented because there simply aren't that many companies located nearby?

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:52:52 PM)
Who should apply to the 1 year program and who should apply to the 2 year program?

Bryan Mulholland (Nov 10, 2008 12:53:24 PM)
Blaire, thank you! I will research the Berlitz class on your website.

LeighNagyFrasherKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:53:31 PM)
Em, don't misinterpret my answer. Consulting is huge at Kellogg and people go all over the world. The firms recruit globally for all of their consulting offices, but Chicago is also huge.

Kai_Zeng (Nov 10, 2008 12:53:43 PM)
Jennifer: Can you be a little more specific about turning negative impacts into positive one? Thanks!

LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:53:50 PM)
Em, just anecdotal evidence, I interned at BCG and they definitely have one of their bigger offices in the US in Chicago.

Kai_Zeng (Nov 10, 2008 12:53:59 PM)
Beth: Oh, yes. I can see that from my friends who graduated from Kellogg.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:54:05 PM)
Hi Gyggles. If you have not had any quantitative coursework, I would encourage you to take a statistics, calculus, and/or a quantitative methods class as you will see this material in business school.

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:54:15 PM)
Bryan: I'm not sure if there is direct communication on the website. It's something that gets communicated internally at Kellogg once you're here. At the beginning of each quarter, they evaluate demand and schedule classes accordingly.

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:54:43 PM)
Linda: Our One Year Program is a great option for people who want to get back to their career, and earning a paycheck, faster! It's 4 quarters of class rather than 6 and is 1.5 core courses rather than 9.5. It requires that people meet the course requirements, but for those that want to stay in the same career path/industry they are in currently, this is a great program. The One Year Program does not have a summer internship and therefore is not for people who want to make a dramatic career change.

sudhir (Nov 10, 2008 12:54:52 PM)
Jennifer: My friend is a Doctor in India and is planning to apply to Kellogg. She wants to know more about that the healthcare and biotech club at Kellogg.

em (Nov 10, 2008 12:55:07 PM)
Thank you all - this was very helpful.

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:55:33 PM)
Why should European candidates apply to Kellogg when there are great MBA programs in Europe?

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:55:51 PM)
Sudhir: Here's a link to the club website for Healthcare club.

Bryan Mulholland (Nov 10, 2008 12:55:58 PM)
Blaire, I see. Is there a demand for Arabic within the Berlitz program?

JenniferStoltzKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:56:03 PM)
Sudhir: There is information on the Health Enterprise Management major online as well as information on what the HC and Biotech club has planned for the year. This is a great way to learn about academics as well as the student community.

BlaireFraserKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:57:05 PM)
Bryan: Honestly, I'm not sure. My guess is that it's less demanded than something like Spanish or Mandarin.
Bryan Mulholland (Nov 10, 2008 12:57:28 PM)
Blaire, thank you. I see that you have many student clubs and organizations. I will write the Middle East Business Association, on "Ask a Student".
VK (Nov 10, 2008 12:57:34 PM)
To current students: What do Kellogg students do for fun and how is life at Evanston?
LionelCharmetantKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:57:41 PM)
Linda, great question - I actually hesitated to go to INSEAD and preferred Kellogg - a big part is the value of going outside your comfort zone, and being based in London or Paris definitely is quite comfortable for a European. I learnt so much about the US business culture, politics, etc. It's quite amazing!

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:57:53 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Beth, Leigh, Jennifer and Lionel & Blaire.

We look forward to seeing you at future chats, and here is a list of the upcoming scheduled chats:
Consortium         November 19th
MIT Sloan           November 24th
CMU Tepper        December 4th
LBS                   December 8th
NYU Stern          December 15th
If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list.  Please check out our chat schedule page for additional details.
Good luck with your applications!

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 10, 2008 12:58:10 PM)
Thanks for giving us this opportunity, Linda!

Kai_Zeng (Nov 10, 2008 12:58:44 PM)
Best wishes!

Javier (Nov 10, 2008 12:58:50 PM)
Thanks Linda!

Kai_Zeng (Nov 10, 2008 12:58:54 PM)
Thanks for all your answers.

sudhir (Nov 10, 2008 12:59:00 PM)
thanks a lot!

Adi (Nov 10, 2008 12:59:05 PM)
Thanks Linda!

Linda Abraham (Nov 10, 2008 12:59:09 PM)
You're welcome.

kelloggmba (Nov 10, 2008 12:59:19 PM)
Thanks all!

Javier (Nov 10, 2008 12:59:23 PM)
Kellogg, thanks for your time and answers!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room