2009 London Business School MBA Admissions with Zoë McLoughlin

2009 London Business School MBA Admissions with Zoë McLoughlin

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 12:00:47 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome all applicants to the London Business School chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about London Business School. Whether you are working hard on your application to prepare for London Business School’s Round 2 deadline on January 6th or you are doing research with the intention of submitting later this year, to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice, you need to know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask the London Business School experts about this outstanding business school.

I also want to welcome the impressive team London Business School has assembled to answer your questions today:
  • Emma Blundell, Information Officer, MBA Programme. Emma has a vast bank of knowledge about the full-time MBA programme as well as the wider London Business School portfolio of degree programmes. Emma works on the front line in our MBA information office and has contact with our worldwide enquiry base on a daily basis. She is also a regular singer in one of the London Business School bands which is called “No Donuts for Hilda”.
  • Zoë McLoughlin, Events and Marketing Manager, MBA Programme. Zoë looks after admissions for London Business School candidates who are based in the UK. She also organises and attends many of the MBA marketing events and has been to numerous cities to meet with prospective candidates and alumni across the past couple of months.
  • Tamsin Shillitoe, Marketing and Admissions Manager. Tamsin looks after the MBA scholarships portfolio and works closely with donors as well as overseeing the entire MBA admissions process. She is also a regular host of the London Business School MBA TV series.
  • Vlad Gudov, MBA2010 student. Vlad is coming to the end of his first term (which lasts approximately 16 weeks) at London Business School. He is originally from Romania where he studied Economics and International Business at university. Prior to starting the MBA, Vlad worked as a Marketing Research Manager with Ringier Romania. He is a member of many of the London Business School student clubs including being a member of the Media Club and the Tennis Club. Vlad is also an MBA student ambassador.
  • Daniela Gruebel, MBA2010 student. Daniela is also an MBA student ambassador who is about to complete the first term of her MBA. Daniela is from Germany where she studied International Business Administration in Wiesbaden. Daniela’s most recent job before becoming a London Business School student was in the finance sector where she worked as Head of Marketing and Communication at LHI Leasing GmbH in Munich. She is also a member of several of the London Business School student clubs including the Women in Business Club and the Responsible Business Club.
  • Claire Hewitson, Senior Marketing and Communications Manager, Career Services.
  • Louise Weir, Marketing and Communications Officer, Career Services
Welcome to our chat newcomers and veterans. Thanks to everyone for joining.
It’s your turn now. Please post your questions.

Jorge Huaman (Peru) (Dec 8, 2008 12:03:15 PM)
Hi Tamsin: I have a very specific question: I've done the GMAT before and scored 4.3 in the AWA. I'll be doing it again since the score was not so good. Is it possible to avoid writing again the AWA or you will consider it as necessary?

blueiceman (Dec 8, 2008 12:03:20 PM)
Claire, have you seen any specific change in this year's recruitment trend?

Damian K. (Dec 8, 2008 12:03:40 PM)
Zoe: Hello! Could you please talk a little bit about the LSE Msc in Management? I only have two years of post-graduate full-time work experience, but I did 6 internships while in college (in addition to other part-time jobs) and, thus, I am not exactly sure which degree, MBA or Msc in Management, will be more suited for me. Also, is it possible to apply to both programs simultaneously? Thank you!

Prakash (Dec 8, 2008 12:03:55 PM)
Emma: Just a general question here for the LBS crowd in the know: Can you comment on whether the volume of apps for R1 this year has been significantly larger than what LBS is used to receiving?

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 12:04:05 PM)
Hi Daniela, Can you tell us more about your experiences this year with the Women in Business Club?

alex08 (Dec 8, 2008 12:04:17 PM)
Vlad: I could not find much information on your website about the social clubs and the study groups; is there another source of information? Thanks!

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:04:39 PM)
Hello Jorge, thank you for your query. I can confirm that we will consider your overall score, but it will need to be complete.

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:05:09 PM)
Hi Prakash, applying for the MBA this year is as competitive as ever.

Frankie (Dec 8, 2008 12:05:38 PM)
Tamsin: If we end up being waitlisted until late - is it better to continue on the wait list or get off and reapply in the future?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:05:52 PM)
Damian K: The best place to find out about LSE's programmes is on their web-site. You would be able to apply for the London Business School MBA with 2 years of work experience, but you would need to ensure that your essays convey your readiness for the programme and that you could contribute as much to the class as someone with 6-8 years of experience.

VK (Dec 8, 2008 12:05:56 PM)
Emma: I wanted to find out if LBS would be visiting New Delhi, India for an admissions/student-led winter event ??

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:06:03 PM)
Hi Alex08, you can find more information on our website about the social clubs.
TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:06:25 PM)
Jorge, please also keep in mind that the GMAT is just one aspect of your application. We will be looking at your work experience and essays in details in conjunction with your degree qualifications.

jjaspirant (Dec 8, 2008 12:06:29 PM)
Zoe: I've been working on my essays. I wanted to check if I can refer to the school as LBS in the essays? I read somewhere on the web that I shouldn't. I'm sure a lot of applicants have this concern. "LBS" will help me conserve word count.

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:06:59 PM)
Hi Sarah, the Women in Business Club (WiB) is one of the most active student clubs on campus. We offer a whole range of activities to our female students, from career-related workshops and presentations, breakfasts with alums to fun stuff (last week we had a guided tour around Deutsche Bank's art collection). Do you have questions on any specific topics? In the end, the WiB is above all a fantastic networking platform.

Prakash (Dec 8, 2008 12:07:02 PM)
Hi Daniela/Vlad. What about LBS attracted you to apply to the school? Has the MBA program met all your expectations to date? And after being in the program for a year, are there any areas of improvements you'd like to see?

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:07:33 PM)
Well VK, there are no winter events planned for India. We are looking into the possibility of visiting in the Spring, but it depends on many factors including the availability of Faculty. For updates please keep an eye on our information session pages.

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 12:07:39 PM)
Louise, how does it look for the current first years in terms of summer internships?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:07:44 PM)
Jjaspirant: We usually call ourselves London Business School externally to avoid any confusion with LSE, but on our application, using the acronym LBS is fine.

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:07:55 PM)
Alex08, regarding the study group, here is the brief overview: You get assigned to a study group of 6-7 people during orientation week. You are a member of that group for the entire first year. The groups are put together to be diverse (in terms of background, interests, nationalities, etc.) and they actually make the learning experience very rich. Please ask me any specific questions that you are interested in re: study groups,  and I would be happy to discuss further.

Ido P (Dec 8, 2008 12:08:07 PM)
Emma: What is the school's policy concerning an additional recommender (besides the "regular" 2 recommenders)? Is it allowed/recommended to add an additional recommendation?

Frankie (Dec 8, 2008 12:08:27 PM)
Tamsin - do you see LBS being affected by the same endowment issues as other Universities? Will this affect enrollment & scholarships next year?

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 12:09:22 PM)
Daniela & Vlad: What do you like best at London Business School? What would you like to see improved?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:09:23 PM)
Frankie, thank you for your question. This really depends on your personal position and other factors such as work that may affect your ability to join the class at a later stage. We do continue to offer spaces to waitlist candidates throughout the year so if you are still interested and able to join, you should stay on the WL. We ask candidates to re-apply separately and do not keep candidates on the WL unless we are still considering them for a place in the class that year.

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:10:01 PM)
Hi Ido, we only ask for 2 recommendations because this is all we require in order to assess a candidate. If you have more than 2 employment references, then I would encourage you to pick the two strongest. If however, you are interested in a third reference that may highlight another part of your life such as any charity or volunteer work, then you may submit a third reference by emailing it to apply.mba@london.edu .

Mayank Sethi (Dec 8, 2008 12:10:07 PM)
Emma, adding to the question that Prakash asked, what percentage of people are called for interviews and of those, what percentage typically gets accepted?

EhsanIran (Dec 8, 2008 12:10:43 PM)
Tamsin: Could you please tell us what sort of students (character traits) are you looking for in your MBA Program?

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:10:53 PM)
Hi Prakash. LBS completely charmed me when I first visited it: The vibrant community, the diversity of the student body, the top faculty (I sat in a class during my visit), the location (right off Regents' Park, in the heart of London) and I could go on and on. :) Yes, the MBA programme has far exceeded my expectations, you actually discover so many opportunities once you start the programme, you constantly regret the day is only 24-hour long. As for your third question, I haven't yet finished my first year (I just finish the first term of the first year with the last exam, on Saturday),

mbaclass11 (Dec 8, 2008 12:11:03 PM)
Zoe: Hello, do you have any classes that I can take or any other opportunities as part of the MBA program to study Islamic Finance?

VK (Dec 8, 2008 12:11:19 PM)
Vlad: Can you please clarify the concept of Student Ambassadors?

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:11:27 PM)
Prakash: For me, there were 3 main points for applying: 1. International split of participants (we have 60 nations in our class). 2. Individual program (I appreciate the opportunity to customize the MBA, content-wise [electives] and time-wise [15-21mths]) 3. London: We are in the midst of one of the most exciting cities in Europe and really close to a lot of companies and networking contacts.

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 12:11:28 PM)
Vlad: What do student ambassadors do?

radbut (Dec 8, 2008 12:12:03 PM)
Claire and Louise: Is there a great decrease in the number of employers that are interested in hiring LBS’s Alumni after the crisis?

Damian K. (Dec 8, 2008 12:12:18 PM)
Emma: I will be taking the GMAT two weeks past the 2nd Round MBA application deadline. Would it be possible to submit the application by the deadline and provide the GMAT score right after the test? Thank you!

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:12:23 PM)
Frankie, this is a strong priority for the School and has been building for some time now. Scholarships are also key factors to ensure we attract the best talent and we will continue to offer a range of donor-funded scholarships, including class, company and student club awards. These are also complimented with a range of financial bursaries.

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:12:32 PM)
Mayank: there are no rigid percentages for selection. It depends on the applicant pool in each stage as well as the number that we will pursue. If an application is strong, then an interview will be offered regardless of the state of other applicants in that stage.

blueiceman (Dec 8, 2008 12:12:51 PM)
Daniela & Vlad: Have you started looking yet for your internships?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:13:01 PM)
Mbaclass11: We don't currently offer anything specific on the curriculum in Islamic Finance. However, our finance classes are very international, with over 60 nationalities in the classroom and business cases from all over the world. You will therefore not just be learning UK or US finance principles. You can also choose to focus on the areas that interest you through the projects that you take on.

VK (Dec 8, 2008 12:13:08 PM)
Tamsin: Is there any effect on the non Co-signor loan offered by HSBC?

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:13:30 PM)
Hi VK (& Linda)! Student Ambassadors are selected by the Marketing team to represent the school at various events (Internet chats, MBA fairs, drop-in sessions, fielding questions from prospective candidates, Open House events, etc, etc) There are 5-6 2nd year students and 9 1st year student ambassadors.

VK (Dec 8, 2008 12:14:19 PM)
Zoe: What is unique about LBS and makes it stand out?

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:14:36 PM)
Damian: An application will not be processed until all supporting information is received. If you are unable to present your entire portfolio by the second stage deadline then you should contact the MBA information Office via email- mabinfo@london.edu .

misha (Dec 8, 2008 12:15:30 PM)
Emma: Hi, How competitive is the new MSc Management course likely to be in comparison to other courses of LBS and what is the expected class size? Until now what has been the response to this course?

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 12:15:54 PM)
Daniela: Thank you, well it was the networking and mentoring aspect that I was particularly interested in.Also, how have you contributed personally and what did you get out of the club?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:17:28 PM)
VK: It's a combination of factors. We are the only top ranked business school in a capital city - and it is one of the most diverse and exciting cities in the world, with recruiters right on our students' doorsteps. We have a flexible MBA which you can complete any time between 15 and 21 months. We have students on campus from over 70 countries, learning from faculty representing over 30 countries. We foster an environment of collaboration and fun, which helps our students build strong and lasting networks etc. etc. etc!

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:17:30 PM)
Hi Blueiceman: Yes. LBS provides its students with career coaching from day 1 of the MBA programme. Once you get here, you start working on your CV, get trained on networking and interpersonal skills and can attend a wide range of career-specific sessions, individual coaching and presentations from both LBS and LBS alumni who are presenting their jobs/companies on campus. You start your "career journey" as we call it by researching what you want to do, working on the gaps you might discover in your current skill set, defining goals and ways to achieve them. The good thing is: You have a lot of valuable advice from both LBS students and alumni as well as professional coaches from the career services team to support you at any time.

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:17:31 PM)
Hi Blueiceman: The recruiting starts very early on, actually the school trains students as of day one, in finding the best career fit, in CV-writing, Cover Letter writing.  They have external consultants come on campus to conduct mock interviews, we have numerous networking sessions (with representatives from companies) and apart from this, we are constantly networking with LBS alumni - the alumni network is actually incredibly helpful, always responsive to our questions about their post-MBA experience.

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:17:36 PM)
Hi Misha, we are not expecting the new Masters in Management course to compete with the other London Business School degree programmes because it is aimed at a very different career level - whilst our existing programmes, including the Masters in Finance and MBA are aimed at professionals who have already accrued some high quality, relevant work experience (the current class average is 5.5 years for the MBA) the Masters in management is aimed at recent graduates with little or no professional experience.

Prakash (Dec 8, 2008 12:17:53 PM)
Louise: with respect to recruiting, is there a strong history of telecom companies such as BT, Vodafone, O2, etc. recruiting at the school ? If not, does LBS plan to actively engage companies from the telecom world to recruit?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:17:59 PM)
EhsanIran, our MBA is made up of students from very diverse backgrounds, both in nationality and professional backgrounds. This means that everyone brings something different to the table and creates a broad and challenging learning environment. As such, you can imagine that characters do vary! We are looking to develop future business leaders in a global context and we will be looking for leadership experience/potential during the application and at interview stage. During the first year of the MBA, students are put into study groups and together the work makes up around half of the first year marks. Students have to be very willing and able to work well in teams and open to working with lots of different cultures. It is also worth mentioning that our community is very active and we would expect everyone to get involved and contribute.

abhichhaw (Dec 8, 2008 12:18:08 PM)
Claire: Hi, due to the financial environment not being very friendly this year, do you see placements getting affected?

Jorge Huaman (Peru) (Dec 8, 2008 12:18:32 PM)
Tamsin, Can an admitted student apply/be granted more than one scholarship at a time?

mohammad (Dec 8, 2008 12:18:49 PM)
Emma: If I have a freelancing experience, does it count? Will you consider it a positive thing to work directly with customers? Also, can I bring a recommendation letter from one of them? Thanks!

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:19:54 PM)
VK, the loan scheme remains the same and you can find full information on our website.

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:20:11 PM)
Mohammad: we value all forms of work experience, including those for larger companies, those within a family business and freelance. If this is what you have been doing most recently, then I would encourage you to get a reference either from a colleague or a client.

VK (Dec 8, 2008 12:20:21 PM)
Zoe: In the application, Essay 5 asks for any experience outside of your home country. How is an applicant supposed to approach this question if one hasn't been outside his/her home country? Also, in such a case, will it go against me if I have never been outside of my country? I am an Indian applicant and therefore wanted to know if LBS only wants people who have some international experience.

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:20:37 PM)
Radbut - We haven't finished collating our 2008 employment reports yet, they will be published in January. We do expect to see a decrease, obviously in the opportunities to go into Investment Banking and the finance sector as a whole. However, we are telling students who are interested particularly in finance to look into other areas of finance such as finance in Industry. We're seeing at the moment many companies being cautious. However, we are happy to say that to date, our online job postings in comparison to last year are slightly up and we've had a record number of companies come to our Autumn Industry Careers Fair and our Consulting Careers Forum. We have had some big global names such as BT, Coca Cola & Google all come to campus.

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 12:20:44 PM)
Emma: Although diversity is THE hallmark of LBS students, can you pinpoint any key qualities that make LBS students similar?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:20:46 PM)
Hello Jorge Huaman, admitted students can only receive one scholarship from us.

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:20:59 PM)
Hey Ehsanlran, to add to what Tamsin was saying, let me share a bit of my experience: In my study group, there is a guy from the UK who worked in Middle East consulting (he was, at some point, a speech-writer for the King of Jordan!), there is a guy from France who used to build Formula 1 engines, there is a girl from the US who worked in brand/marketing consulting in New York, there is an Indian whose last work experience was with a large investment bank in London, and there is a Mexican who used to work in retail banking for one of the world's largest banks. I think this paints a fairly accurate picture of the incredible diversity one would find in a "regular" study group.

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 12:21:58 PM)
Daniela, do you plan to return to finance or change industries?

LouiseWeirLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:22:45 PM)
Hi Prakash - recruitment in the global industry sector is on the increase at the School and Career Services recently hosted our annual Global Industry Careers Fair, with a great number of companies from across the industry sector coming on to campus to discuss current and future opportunities with our students. We are holding our Spring Industry Careers Fair in January and we have a number of companies from the telecommunications world expected on the night. Companies such as BT also post specific jobs on to our job postings board. Students interested in technology careers also actively connect with these recruiters through our technology club and on our technology trek, which typically visits the Silicon Valley.

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:23:02 PM)
SarahP: Whilst our students bring many different cultural qualities to a class, it is often commented on the emphasis that all students place on team work, and there is a very collaborative environment within class.

Mayank Sethi (Dec 8, 2008 12:23:06 PM)
Louise: I saw the student profiles and noticed that only a very small percentage of students were accepted from the technology sector. Is there any specific reason for that?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:23:08 PM)
VK: Question 5 on the application is not necessarily asking for evidence of a substantial amount of time spent outside your home country. It could describe a trip you took for work or leisure purposes or even your experiences of working with someone of a different culture than your own. It does not go against you if you have no international experience, but we would question how comfortable you would be in our internationally diverse classroom. We need to see that you would relish and succeed in this multi-cultural environment.

alex08 (Dec 8, 2008 12:23:41 PM)
Tamsin: Why does LBS find it so important that its students are active within the student clubs?

Mayank Sethi (Dec 8, 2008 12:23:50 PM)
Emma : What are the top 5 characteristics that you look for in a candidate?

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:24:10 PM)
Linda, I am planning to stay within finance, but do a functional switch there - from the communications to the sales side. The advice I received from students and alumni regarding job opportunities in sales and skills needed, as well as the experiences career services shares with us were very helpful for me while working on my "personal career plan".

Prakash (Dec 8, 2008 12:24:38 PM)
Expanding on the question about Student Ambassadors: Vlad, it sounds like there is an application process that happens in order for you to get selected? Is that true, and if so, do you know the criteria for selection?

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:24:57 PM)
Hi Abhichhaw - We are expecting to see a decrease in opportunities specifically in Investment Banking and to the Finance sector as a whole. However, there are still many opportunities for our graduating students. To date, our online postings have been slightly up in comparison to last year and we have had record number of companies come to our Global Industry and Consulting Fairs. We have also had many companies connect with our students through our clubs. These are all great ways for our students to network with companies and find career opportunities both for internships and then of course when its time to graduate.

jjaspirant (Dec 8, 2008 12:25:41 PM)
Claire: for a career in the Technology industry post-MBA, what are the advantages of the LBS MBA and being in London?

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:25:47 PM)
Mayank: We never review candidates on such a simple list - we always read the complete application portfolio before reaching any decision, but some key areas to help you to prepare are: 1 - academically strong, 2 - good work experience, 3 - teamwork, 4 - leadership potential, 5 - international outlook.

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 12:26:16 PM)
Zoe: I came to an information session at LBS last week and there seemed to be a large number of applicants hoping to specialize in entrepreneurship - have you noticed a higher number of applications with this desired specialism this year and how does this affect competition for places?

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:27:06 PM)
Hi Alex08, let me also answer this one: Student clubs at LBS are run BY the students FOR the students. Even the professional clubs (like Industry, Marketing, Consulting, Energy or Media clubs) are run by students. There is also tremendous benefit from taking part in these clubs - you get to network directly with companies where you are looking to do your internship, or where you are looking to work post-MBA.

Laura (Dec 8, 2008 12:27:08 PM)
Emma: I have a question about reference letters - I've submitted my reference's emails via the LBS application website but for the most part it seems I'm in the dark as to what they're being asked about or asked to submit. Is this intentional? Am I allowed to talk to my references about their letters? Please advise.

abhichhaw (Dec 8, 2008 12:27:23 PM)
Emma, another recommendation question: What does one needs to keep in mind while choosing the recommenders?

83Yes (Dec 8, 2008 12:27:50 PM)
Tamsin: I recently read a blog by a current LBS MBA student stating that the programme office is not effective in receiving feedback from students. What is the LBS Administration's official stand on this? As an applicant, I would be really disappointed if the MBA infrastructure was not appropriately designed for students.

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:27:56 PM)
Prakash: What the Student Ambassador job description asks for is first of all, the motivation to represent LBS to potential students, to answer their questions and share our experience. Then, of course, LBS tries to compose an international group of student ambassadors. Last but not least, experience in event organization/marketing helps.

LouiseWeirLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:28:08 PM)
Hi Mayank - We are proud of the diverse array of career backgrounds our students bring to the school, including those from the growing industry sector and you will also find that many of your peers, once arriving at the school, are keen to make a career switch; For example, moving from finance into a finance role in the industry sector. You can actively engage with people from a technology background by joining the student clubs and Career Services also offers career coaching and sector specific coaching to all students, should you feel that you would like to expand your career strategy into the technology sector. Alternatively, if you are from a technology background, you can again work with our career coaches to expand your career options if this is not the area that you intend to return to.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:28:39 PM)
SarahP: Thanks for coming to the session - I hope you enjoyed it! Last year, over 80% of our students chose to do courses (electives) in Entrepreneurship, so there is definitely a real interest in this area. Our students do not however have to bid for their electives, as is the case at some other schools - we run several streams of popular electives to ensure that everyone can get a place. For example, an elective like New Creative Ventures will run in a weekly format, as well in block week and evening formats.

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:28:43 PM)
Prakash: Yes, there is an application process, and from what I understand, it gets more and more competitive every year (approximately 60-70 students apply every year). You first send a statement of intent and your CV, and if you make the initial screening, you are asked for an interview, which goes like any job interview.

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:28:43 PM)
Laura: applicants are not given access to the online reference system in order to prevent any fraudulent activity. You can get a better idea about the types of questions we ask references from the document on our website.

blueiceman (Dec 8, 2008 12:28:48 PM)
Tamsin, have you seen any change in the kind of candidates applying for the MBA program? Has there been a shift from the number of consultants/bankers towards industry professionals?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:28:54 PM)
Alex08, the MBA is so much more than what takes place in the class room. You are building your future networks that will continue to support you for life. As such, the opportunities in our community not only serve to contribute to your building networks, but also in sharing your expertise. This is a reason why relevant work experience is so important, you learn from each other as well as from our faculty and the clubs are the forum for this to continue. So for example, we had our Media Summit recently and our students brought amazing guest speaker to campus, including the Director General of the BBC. If you want to move into Media - these kinds of events create great opportunities for you. We therefore look for our students to contribute and build opportunities for themselves and others as well as taking advantage of the amazing and endless learning opportunities provided by faculty and class mates.

radbut (Dec 8, 2008 12:29:11 PM)
Zoe: Is the number of students applying during the first stage the same as a year ago?

Doh (Dec 8, 2008 12:29:25 PM)
Emma: What is the average GPA of accepted applicants? Is there a minimum GPA? Could you translate this into a 4.0 system as well?

abhichhaw (Dec 8, 2008 12:29:35 PM)
Vlad/Daniela - Can you please share your experience while going through the course? Were your expectations were met? What are the 2 most valuable experiences in the last 16 weeks?

blueiceman (Dec 8, 2008 12:29:46 PM)
Claire, how would the career services team help if I wanted to target a specific company that does not normally recruit at the London Business School?

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:30:09 PM)
Abhichhaw: When choosing a reference, you should look for people who know you well and can comment in detail about your current work experience and your business skills.

blueiceman (Dec 8, 2008 12:30:18 PM)
Louise: Would you be able to name a few companies that hire for a management development program on campus?

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 12:30:42 PM)
Daniela: In relation to your last comment about career development to blueiceman, I think it's fantastic to get such assistance in developing yourself for the post-MBA world of recruitment. But during the application essays, you have to articulate exactly what you want to do post graduation. How would you advise dealing with this? Especially, if there are a number of things you are interested in post-MBA?! Thanks!

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:31:21 PM)
Radbut: Application numbers are slightly higher at this stage than last year, due in part to the economic climate. However, this should not affect your decision to apply - we always have places for good candidates!

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:31:29 PM)
Doh: There is no average GPA because the applicant pool is too diverse and degrees are submitted from so many different education systems. You should ensure that you have performed well within your own system and this will be demonstrated to us when you submit your transcript.

Jorge Huaman (Peru) (Dec 8, 2008 12:31:37 PM)
Zoe: I'll be taking the TOEFL by Dec 20th, but the scores will only be available later. Will it be possible to notate the date taken on the application?

LouiseWeirLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:32:00 PM)
Hi Blueiceman - to give you an idea of the companies that hire from our campus, I'd like to direct you to our online employment reports. Recruiters are broken down by sector and job function.

EhsanIran (Dec 8, 2008 12:32:42 PM)
Emma: You have mentioned that there are four deadlines by which to apply.  Do candidates who apply earlier have a better chance for admission?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:32:45 PM)
Jorge: It is fine to submit your application without your TOEFL score, as long as you make it clear that you have sat the test. As soon as you have the final score, please send this to us. Your application will be processed in the usual way in the meantime.

Prakash (Dec 8, 2008 12:33:07 PM)
Zoe: Question about the GMAT score: Does LBS look at the quant/verbal split, or just the overall score? I ask because my split was skewed more towards verbal, and I am afraid that the school will look at the quant and get an inaccurate representation of my math abilities.

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:33:31 PM)
Abhichhaw: That is a good question - as there were so many experiences during the last 3 months, it's pretty hard to choose 2 single events. For me, meeting and working with my study group was of enormous value. We found ourselves as a group that works well together and also has a lot of fun outside the courses, discovering London together. Career-wise, I think the interpersonal skill workshops were of the most valuable courses for me. And, if I'm allowed to add a 3rd one, the network you get access to is just amazing. You meet so many interesting people on campus, so to come back to the first part of your question: Yes, the MBA until now fulfills my expectations.

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:33:45 PM)
Hi Abhichhaw: the programme starts with an orientation week, then a "preparation" month (with courses such as Business Statistics, Global Leadership Assessment, Understanding General Management) Then, in October, we started the proper fall term. My personal favorite so far (and, mind you, I am not targeting a career in Finance) has been the Corporate Finance class, though close contest with Financial Accounting, from which I have learned a lot. We had two amazing professors, which made these two courses quite interesting (and even fun!) for "poets" like me. The Managerial Economics class (especially the lectures on Game Theory) or the Business Ethics class (with the heated debates on matters of ethics in business) also spring to mind.

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 12:33:47 PM)
Thanks Zoe, yes it was very useful!

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:34:37 PM)
83Yes, Our students are given many platforms to feedback to the Programme Team and this is taken on board as each year we see changes and developments. We continue to review our curriculum and delivery methods in line with what recruiters and students are telling us. Each stream has a 'Stream Rep' who channels feedback from each team to the Programme Managers. We also have a School survey, feedback after each course. One example is the introduction of Master Classes where the faculty members share their research findings with our students on a more regular basis. The Student Association also has representation on various Boards at London Business School.

shobhitg11 (Dec 8, 2008 12:34:55 PM)
Tamsin: Could you please tell us about the information sessions, drop-in sessions and class visits? I would like to visit the school. I am currently in USA. Is it possible to arrange a class visit and information session on the same day - Monday or Friday?
EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:35:15 PM)
Ehsanlran: We encourage applicants to apply as soon as they are ready, without rushing any aspect of the application, such as the essays or GMAT. There are always places available for good candidates but Stage Four is more competitive with waitlist candidates also competing for places.

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:35:21 PM)
Hi Jjaspirant - LBS has some excellent clubs such as our media and our technology clubs. Only recently our media club held a media conference that attracted some big names to speak such as Mark Thompson, Director-General BBC, Bill Roedy, Chairman and CEO of MTV Networks International and Danny Rimer, Partner Index Ventures. This just shows you the nature of the contacts that LBS can provide you within this industry. Recently we had our Industry Careers Fair that had many technology companies come to campus looking to recruit. BT being one of the big names within this sector. The Technology club also provides you with some very rich and diverse backgrounds that you can connect with and learn from. We also have many organized student treks and you can go along and connect with top companies within the technology sector that you are interested in. London is a great, vibrant city to be in that has many opportunities for all sectors. We also have close links with companies in other major cities - Hong Kong.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:35:36 PM)
Prakash: We only really look at the quant/verbal split on the GMAT if there is a sizeable difference between the two. If your quant is very low and you have no mathematics in your academic or professional background, then it may be a cause for concern. If the overall GMAT score is reasonable however and your application is good, then this may be something we ask your interviewer to probe after short-listing you.

LouiseWeirLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:35:39 PM)
Hi Major. Start-ups make up about 5% of our career decisions for the last graduating class - we also have an active entrepreneurship club on campus and run an entrepreneurship summer class. We have a large number of both regional and professional interest clubs at the School that Career Services works closely with to host career related events and treks globally.

Alex (Dec 8, 2008 12:35:50 PM)
Emma: For various reasons I've been unable to complete my university degree, so I don't have one. However I've taken numerous courses and worked for a few multi-nationals which helped me amass experience and save the money required to pay for the LBS MBA. Would LBS consider my application in the circumstances aforementioned?

Laura (Dec 8, 2008 12:36:02 PM)
Zoe: What percent of the class is admitted in the 3rd & 4th rounds? Or what percent of the class do you fill in the first 2 rounds?

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 12:36:30 PM)
Louise, are you helping recent London alumni who have lost their jobs as a result of the credit crunch?

Jorge Huaman (Peru) (Dec 8, 2008 12:36:46 PM)
Thank you Zoe!

blueiceman (Dec 8, 2008 12:36:55 PM)
Vlad & Daniela, which is your favorite club?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:37:03 PM)
Shobhitg11, You can view information about our drop in and information sessions online.

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:37:15 PM)
83Yesz: If I may add to what Tamsin said, I am also an Academic Representative for my stream, and I can tell you, from my experience, that the Programme Office is EXTREMELY responsive to feedback from students. I gather feedback from my stream and then discuss it with professors, so that changes (where changes are needed) are implemented right away. I also provide this feedback to the programme office. The 4 stream academic reps have regular meetings with the Programme Office, at least 2 times per term (if not more), and we discuss, in depth, the performance of professors, the feedback from students, how the courses fit together.

shobhitg11 (Dec 8, 2008 12:37:29 PM)

Laura (Dec 8, 2008 12:37:46 PM)
Tamsin: What is the 80% range of GMAT scores for accepted students?

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:37:58 PM)
Alex: Whilst the majority of our students do have a good undergraduate degree we recognise that there are reasons why this is not always possible. If you do not have a degree then we will expect you to have excellent work experience. Any professional qualifications you have will also support your application and gaining a strong GMAT score (the current class average is 694) will demonstrate your academic ability.

abhichhaw (Dec 8, 2008 12:38:10 PM)
Emma - What if it's not possible for me to get my boss to be a recommender? I am in a senior position and asking my boss for recommendation could lead to apprehensions in the organisation.

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:38:17 PM)
SarahP: I think it is quite usual that you have several possible options of where to go to post-MBA in mind at the time you apply to LBS. Still, I assume that you have a rough idea of where you want to go. So articulate this. And state, that within this direction, you see option A, B, and C. In fact, the programme here at LBS is designed to give you specific insight into actual positions and to help you "narrow down" your "big plan" with which you arrive here. I think the main purpose of asking this question is to find out whether you have thought about where you want to go and what the MBA will contribute to your journey there.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:38:21 PM)
Laura: We don't calculate the percentages in each round, as they change every year and shouldn't be used to dictate a candidate's decision as to when to apply. I can confirm that Stages 1, 2 and 3 are equally competitive and that Stage 4 is more competitive. We always advise applying as soon as you're ready, as an early application means an earlier decision and more time to prepare for your MBA studies. You are also only able to apply for scholarships if you are offered a place in Stages 1-3.

LouiseWeirLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:38:25 PM)
Hi Linda - upon graduation from the School you receive life-long support from our Alumni Career Services team. This team reached out to our alumni who suffered directly from the Lehman collapse, emailing them directly to offer coaching and career support during this time.

mohammad (Dec 8, 2008 12:38:35 PM)
Zoe: Hi, I did not do well during my undergraduate courses. My GPA is low and my transcript is not impressive at all. How else can I prove that I can do well in the MBA? Is it, for example, by getting high scores in the GMAT?

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 12:39:04 PM)
Thanks Louise. Impressive.

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 12:39:12 PM)
Zoe: Would you say that there is a bias from current students hoping to work in a particular industry sector upon graduation? (taking Management Consulting and Finance out of the equation for a moment)! Thanks!

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 12:39:54 PM)
Daniela: Thank you, that's just what I needed to hear!

Prakash (Dec 8, 2008 12:39:58 PM)
Thanks Zoe!

shobhitg11 (Dec 8, 2008 12:40:07 PM)
Louise: Do you see the effect of current economic downturn in the internship and placement opportunities?

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:40:26 PM)
Abhichhaw: We do not require a reference from your current manager. We recognise that many people are not comfortable informing senior management that they are considering leaving before they have a guaranteed place. You could ask a trusted colleague or client.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:40:30 PM)
Mohammad: We look at a candidate's overall profile when making a decision, so a low GPA can be compensated for with good work experience or excellent leadership potential. There is an opportunity on the application to explain the reasons for your GPA and we understand that you will have grown in commitment and maturity since you were an undergrad!

radbut (Dec 8, 2008 12:40:42 PM)
Zoe: What if the GMAT quant score is much better than the verbal score (English is not my native language)? What will you look for to be sure I'm a good candidate?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:40:51 PM)
Shobhitg11, as you will see, the drop-in sessions take place at 3pm on Mondays and Fridays and provide an opportunity to find out more information about the School. You will also hear from a member of the Admissions Team along with the experience of a current student, as well as receive a tour of the School. The information sessions are more formal evening events with a presentation on the School and the MBA, followed by an alumni and student panel and then the opportunity to network over drinks. If you would like to sit in on a class, you can contact your regional admissions officer who will be able to help. Please note that these do require at least one working week to organise.

nygolfer (Dec 8, 2008 12:40:52 PM)
Emma: Hello all. Is the application review process rolling? For example, will a 2nd round application be reviewed earlier if submitted this week?

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:40:56 PM)
Hey Blueiceman: My favorite club is actually one that was started just this year by a colleague of mine: the Volunteering Club. At LBS we have had the Responsible Business Club (quite successful and with lots of members), but never a specific volunteering club. Well, this year one of my colleagues decided to change that, and together with a few classmates, he started the Volunteering Club. I have joined the Executive Committee as the Charity head, and as we speak, we are in the middle of a huge donation drive for Oxfam. Other activities undertaken by the club so far: Partnering with associations such as Make your Mark and Young Enterprise, going to Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park for conservation projects, etc.

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:41:04 PM)
Blueiceman: My favorite clubs are: Career-wise, the finance club. It's amazing how many events with high level speakers they organize. Personal-interest-wise, it is the art-investment-club. I've always been passionate about art and we organize a lot of exhibition tours and an art investment conference on campus.

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 12:41:11 PM)
Vlad/Daniela: Do you know anyone who has taken the creativity and personal mastery elective? If so, what do they say about it?

Laura (Dec 8, 2008 12:41:47 PM)
Tamsin: I know that speaking a second language (passing the proficiency test) is required for graduation -- is it a set-back for an applicant who speaks only English? Or is this not taken into account when reviewing the application?

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:42:35 PM)
Nygolfer: We do not operate a rolling admissions system. Dates & Deadlines are provided on the website for the submission of the application and then the date that decisions will be released. If you submit your application next week, you will still not receive an interview decision until the 12th of February.

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:42:36 PM)
Hello Laura, I can only confirm the average GMAT which is around 690. However, I would stress that this is just one aspect of the application and that our range is 600-800.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:42:44 PM)
SarahP: There are different trends every year in terms of what students want to do after graduation. Social entrepreneurship and media are looking popular this year and last year, it was energy and luxury goods. There are student clubs representing all of these sectors, so you have plenty of opportunities to get lots of testers whilst you are a student here!

Prakash (Dec 8, 2008 12:42:54 PM)
Tamsin: Question on school visits: I know its best to visit when school is in session; does it make a difference whether I visit in the fall term, or winter term ?

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:42:59 PM)
Hi Blueiceman, career services help students in a number of ways. Our skills development program looks at developing your career skills such as networking, perfecting your CV and cover letters and also looking at your career aspirations and ensuring that you have a strategy to achieve them. We also connect you with recruiters. We have many diverse relationships with recruiters so it is highly likely that we may have dealt with them at some stage or someone in the LBS community has a connection there. That is the beauty of our alumni network. However, Career Services will also help you work out a strategy to approach that specific company. This will involve researching the company and finding out as much information as possible and then putting a strategy into place.

Alex (Dec 8, 2008 12:43:08 PM)
Emma: Thanks for your reply. Is there a history of successful applications for students in similar conditions and if so, how many a year in average are accepted?

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:43:23 PM)
Sarah, as this is a second year elective, please send me a personal email and I'll try to put you in contact with one of our second-years who participated in the course. Thanks!
Jorge Huaman (Peru) (Dec 8, 2008 12:43:31 PM)
Zoe: Do you have specific Country/Region quotas?

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:43:50 PM)
Mayank: Excellent work experience is mainly about what you have accomplished in your role and how your background will assist your career plans for the future.

nygolfer (Dec 8, 2008 12:43:57 PM)
Daniela/Vlad: Beyond the academics, how would you describe the social/extracurricular life? Thank you!

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:44:00 PM)
Radbut: If your verbal score is lower in your GMAT, you will need to ensure that your essays are fluently written. If you are not a native-English speaker, we would also be looking for a good TOEFL or IELTS score.

EhsanIran (Dec 8, 2008 12:44:10 PM)
Emma: I am fluent in English, and I'm working in UK. Do I have to take a TOFEL or IELTS test?

LouiseWeirLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:44:23 PM)
Hi Shobhitg- we are seeing a shift in the recruitment trends following the downturn, but what's key to note is an increase in finance roles within the industry and consulting sectors both for internship and full time recruitment. We are also finding that the smaller finance firms as well as boutique banks are continuing to be interested in hiring our students. Career Services continues to encourage students to look at all options during this economic downturn which may mean diversifying sector, function or into a region where you have prior experience or are a native language speaker. We also work closely with you to equip you with the skills that make you competitive when it comes to the recruitment process (interview skills, networking opportunities).

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 12:44:25 PM)
Zoe: Interesting, thanks!

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 12:44:28 PM)
Daniela: Thank you, that would be fantastic!

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 12:45:00 PM)
Louise, any special advice for those wanting to return to homes outside the EU?

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:45:07 PM)
Alex: You're welcome! There are indeed a few students every year who are admitted without an undergraduate degree.

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 12:45:29 PM)
Claire, do you see any industries as being particularly active in recruiting LBS graduates and interns this year?

shobhitg11 (Dec 8, 2008 12:45:42 PM)
Thank you Louise, that is very good to know.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:46:04 PM)
Jorge: No, we don't have nationality quotas - if you're a good candidate, you will be short-listed for an interview regardless of your nationality. However, we do ensure that the class is very diverse every year, so we will be keeping an eye out to make sure that no nationality is over-represented. This is usually managed through the wait-list process.

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:46:27 PM)
Ehsanlran: If you have been working or studying in an English-speaking country for a minimum of 2 years then you are not required to take the TOEFL. Equally, if your undergraduate degree was taught and examined entirely in English then you don't have to. For further details please see our Admission Requirements page.

Laura (Dec 8, 2008 12:46:46 PM)
Zoe: you mentioned earlier that if you have a reasonable GMAT score, the verbal/quant breakdown won't necessarily have a large bearing on your application. Would it be safe to say a "reasonable score" would include 600+ scores? Or would it need to be closer to the 690 average?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:47:11 PM)
Laura, with regards to the second language exit requirement, it is not a problem to apply without this prior to joining. We, of course, want to see an interest or aptitude for taking a second language and given the intensity of the programme, do recommend that students make a start on this before joining, if possible. Having said that, we provide the language tuition from scratch for those that are complete beginners. There are also great opportunities through the various clubs to practice languages, for example the French club hold weekly French lunches where you arrive with your lunch and speak French for a whole hour - normally covering a recent news article. Laura, some students also choose to go on exchange so that they can become really confident in a second language. Having more than one language is certainly attractive to recruiters and gives you more freedom in choosing where you will work in the future.

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 12:47:50 PM)
A general questions for all of you: Is b-school going to be a safe haven or are students enrolling to Fall 09 going to graduate with poor job prospects and a mound of debt? What is London doing to prevent the second scenario?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:48:33 PM)
Prakash, it does not make a huge difference when you visit the School, it really depends on when best suits you. I would recommend trying to come along to an Information Session if you have the flexibility to do so.

blueiceman (Dec 8, 2008 12:48:42 PM)
Thanks Claire, that's very impressive!

LouiseWeirLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:48:43 PM)
Linda, no matter where a student hopes to work after graduation, we have a great international network at the school and also continue to expand our business development across the globe. I'd encourage students who want to return to their home countries to connect with the relevant clubs on campus, expand their network amongst students and alumni who have experience in that region or would like to work in that region and to keep all options open. I'd also remind all students of the visa requirements that may restrict them working in some countries - please check with the government for more information.

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:48:52 PM)
Nygolfer: The social/extracurricular activities offered are just amazing. The question is not, if you participate, but rather, in which activity do you participate, because there are just so many offered. Besides all the club activities and on-campus events, there are numerous activities organized very spontaneously by groups of classmates: Weekend trips to other European cities or travelling within Britain, Friday afternoon rowing on the Thames, one of the popular LBS parties (like Tattoo, Diwali or, last weekend, Santa Paul Pub Crawl) on Saturdays, Salsa on Sunday, etc. And yes, there is a golf club and some very active golfers around here as well if this is where your nickname derives from.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:48:54 PM)
Laura: 690 is the average, not the ideal so you shouldn't think that you need to have this score to be eligible. You are right though, 600 is a rough minimum and the closer you are to 690, the more competitive your score is. However, the GMAT is only one small part of the application (even if it doesn't feel like a small thing when you're studying for it!) and we look at your overall profile when making a decision.

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:49:00 PM)
Hi Nygolfer! Oh, where to start? Let's see, London... well, London is truly a city of all possibilities. I have actually started with this, as we unfortunately don't get too much time to explore this amazing city, but when you do, you have a choice between shopping on Oxford Street to taking a Saturday-morning stroll along the Southbank, from going to Tate Modern to enjoying a nice, long afternoon at the National Gallery, or at the British Museum. Need I add that the school is very close to places like Camden Town, Soho, or Covent Garden? But going back to the school social life, let's just say it's BUSY! From major events such as Tattoo and the Santa PubCrawl, to formal Balls (Winter Ball and the Summer Ball), from the Diwali party (I had so much fun at that one), to the South America or French party. Then we have the regular Thursday get-togethers (called Sundowners) Take my word for it, I have listed here only the first things that come to mind, there is so much more.

nygolfer (Dec 8, 2008 12:51:39 PM)
Thank you, Vlad!

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:51:45 PM)
Hi Linda, we have had two very successful careers fairs just recently where we had a record number of companies come onto campus. One was our Global Industry Careers Fair where we had many Industry companies come to recruit - BT, Google, Coca Cola, Shell, just to name a few. We also had our Consulting Careers Forum where all the big Consulting companies were there. Within Industry we are seeing the Energy and Technology sectors quite strong.

ashish_y (Dec 8, 2008 12:52:04 PM)
Claire: I am interested in Social Entrepreneurship. What are the different opportunities available for this and can you specify any social ventures which have been started in the recent years from the London Business School?

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 12:52:39 PM)
Vlad/Daniela: Do most students live near the campus or are they spread all over London?

Laura (Dec 8, 2008 12:52:54 PM)
Emma: What's the best way for me to touch base with alumni that live in my area to talk about their experiences at the school?

mohammad (Dec 8, 2008 12:53:02 PM)
Zoe: Hi, do you always interview candidates? I live in Jordan (Middle East), so it might not be easy for me to travel to the UK to make the interview.

nygolfer (Dec 8, 2008 12:53:09 PM)
Thank you, Daniela!

Laura (Dec 8, 2008 12:53:23 PM)
Tamsin: On the application, it asks if you've met staff at info sessions/fairs -- if I lost the name of the person I met at a Forte Forum event, can I follow-up with your office to find out the name?

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:53:51 PM)
Laura: the best way to meet alumni who live in your area would be to attend one of our events.

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:54:11 PM)
Hi Laura: Yes, you can if you would like to, but if you want to mention that you spoke to someone at a certain fair, we will know who it was! So it is not completely necessary.

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 12:54:13 PM)
Louise what should applicants do to prepare themselves for a tough job market, if it is tough, when they graduate?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:55:16 PM)
Mohammad: All candidates who are short-listed must be interviewed in person (we don't do phone interviews). However, as our alumni conduct the interviews for us, so we will always try to match you with someone locally. If we were unable to find an alumnus in Jordan to interview you, we would then give you other options like Dubai or Cairo for example. Asking you to travel to London would usually be a last resort.

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 12:55:29 PM)
Zoe: Are you getting a lot of interest in your MS in Management program for early career applicants?

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:55:33 PM)
Hey SarahP: In their first year, the large majority of students try to live within walking distance of campus (max.15-20 minutes away). That makes life a lot easier (will just give you a practical example: if you have classes all day long, with a club meeting during the lunch break, you might want to rush home to change in formals before the evening club events with representatives from companies presenting and networking with students).

Alex (Dec 8, 2008 12:55:45 PM)
Emma: last question and I'll wrap it up. Would it be feasible to coordinate a face to face meeting with someone from the admissions team to assess whether I have a strong case?

blueiceman (Dec 8, 2008 12:55:52 PM)
Vlad, Daniela: Do you guys have a life outside of the London Business School? :)

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 12:56:26 PM)
Tamsin, Can you tell us about the new scholarships being offered by LBS, specifically the Goldman Sachs International Scholarship and the Santander Scholarship? Are scholarship applications up this year?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:57:05 PM)
To follow up on my comments regarding the community, it is worth highlighting just a few of the major club events taking place at the moment. We had the Global Energy Summit, Media Summit last month and have the Healthcare Conference and Asset Management Conference taking place this month. These just name a few and some will be covered on MBA TV.

LouiseWeirLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:57:13 PM)
Linda, we encourage our students to work closely with Career Services to develop their career skills and connect with global recruiters throughout their programme, making them best placed as possible upon graduation. Students also benefit from building their own networks on campus through their peers, the clubs and alumni. In a tough market, it is also valuable to explore alternative career options, and events such as our Industry Career Fairs allow you to meet with companies you may not have considered before to research positions.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:57:33 PM)
Linda: Yes, we are seeing a lot of interest in our new Masters in Management programme, which is pretty exciting. This course is offered for non-business graduates who have less than a year of work experience and are looking to get a business qualification to help them succeed in their post-graduate career. The first class starts in September 2009 and we are really looking forward to welcoming this new group to campus.

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 12:57:33 PM)
That's my next question, Tamsin: what are some of the topics/programs airing on London Business School’s MBA TV Series, which I understand you host regularly?

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:57:35 PM)
Blueiceman, barely, but I try :) I can tell you that I have many colleagues who have partners and even children, and they do find the time to enjoy their families, outside of the programme. The daily schedule is quite busy, however one learns quickly how to efficiently manage his/her time, make the best out of all opportunities on offer, yet still have time to breathe.

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:57:57 PM)
Blueiceman: Yes, even if school really keeps us busy, a private life is possible ;-). In fact, it's you who chooses how deeply you want to get involved with all the activities offered on campus. But speaking from my experience, there are quite a lot of things you just do not want to miss!

mbaclass11 (Dec 8, 2008 12:58:07 PM)
Louise: On the work visa front, can the students themselves get a work visa without company sponsorship? Thus, at these career fairs, no company is off limits to international students?

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 12:58:18 PM)
Thanks Vlad, makes total sense!

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 12:58:22 PM)
Alex: you can ask as many questions as you like! We run informal question and answer session twice a week on Monday and Friday afternoons at 15:00. These are run by a member of the admissions team together with a current student and provide the perfect opportunity for you to come and discuss your plans for an MBA. There is no need to register, simply aim to arrive at the School's main reception for 14:50. Alternatively, after the Information Session there is a drinks reception where you could discuss your case with a member of the team or our alumni. For further details please see our Information Sessions page.

VK (Dec 8, 2008 12:58:28 PM)
Can you please tell us more about the MBA TV?
abhichhaw (Dec 8, 2008 12:58:53 PM)
Emma: If one is planning to come with family (spouse + one child), how can one arrange for housing? Are there staying arrangements for international students? Could you also indicate the cost range?

blueiceman (Dec 8, 2008 12:59:37 PM)
Vlad, Daniela: I haven't heard too much about the Retail and Luxury Goods club from alumni. Do any of you know if there's much happening in this club?

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 1:00:23 PM)
Louise: Could you tell us a little about the programs that London Business School has to help first-year students obtain internships?

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:00:36 PM)
SarahP: To build on what Vlad said before: It's all about you deciding what to do and where to get involved, to efficiently organize and split work in your study group, and to also make sure you have enough time to balance your personal interests (friends & family, sports, etc.) But no worries, it's all doable and probably one of the big learnings of the MBA is how to "manage yourself".

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:00:42 PM)
SarahP: That is, indeed, the most difficult part about the MBA - managing priorities. There are so many things to do (academic, professional and social) and as I said earlier, even here, the day is still only 24-hours long. So one has to make priorities, but after a mad first two months (when everybody signs up for every possible club and event and activity there is), students start to focus on areas they are most interested in, and pursue them in depth so it gets more manageable.

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:00:46 PM)
Hi Ashish, we have a very active entrepreneurship club as well as a responsible business club. The Responsible business club has a global social venture competition. For more information go to our website. On the academic side we have a couple of electives which focus specifically on social responsibility and entrepreneurship. We have 5% of our students start their own business.

EhsanIran (Dec 8, 2008 1:01:21 PM)
Zoe: How can I get in touch with one or more current students? Especially students from Middle-East.

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:01:24 PM)
Abhichhaw: There are many students who bring partners and/or children with them when they move to London. We have a very established Partners' Club who are there to support all arrangements from selecting child care to looking for employment and schooling. The School does not offer any accommodations and the majority of our students find private housing for their time in London. There is also some support from the University of London's Housing service.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:01:34 PM)
Just to add to Vlad and Daniela's comments about balancing a social life with the MBA, the first year is pretty intense but the flexibility of the second year allows you to take time out. You can choose what format to take your classes in (block weeks, evenings etc.), as well as whether or not to go on exchange, where to do your Second Year Project etc. A few of our students last year took a term out of the second year to set up their own ice cream parlour and then came back to finish their MBA!

blueiceman (Dec 8, 2008 1:01:45 PM)
Thanks Vlad, Daniela: Vlad, since you mentioned about partners and kids - how active are they in the London Business School community?

LouiseWeirLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:01:45 PM)
Hi Mbaclass11 - Career Services works with a London based solicitor to provide visa information to students during their programme. Without going into too much depth at this stage, we encourage students to check whether they can legally work in the country the job is posted for before they apply for the job - where the job is based is the sort of thing you can discuss with the recruiter at the careers fair. Please go to government work permit and visas website for more information on the Tier 1 visa that many of our students apply for - this is an individual visa application that is not tied to a specific company, allowing you to be a bit more flexible with your options.

mohammad (Dec 8, 2008 1:01:57 PM)
Emma: I always see in the admission criteria some things like: leadership potential and excellent work experience. How do you measure the experience? And how can I show that I have leadership potential?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:02:01 PM)
Thanks Linda, we have not yet opened for scholarship applications yet as our major deadline is at the beginning of June. The Goldman Sachs Scholarships was launched last year and is run in the form of a bursary for incoming students with high financial need. The award highlights the firm's commitment to diversity and scholars also benefit from mentoring opportunities at GS. Our Santander Abbey award was also launched last year and like the Goldman Sachs award is for £20,000. This award is open to students from the 12 countries in the Santander's Universities Network.

Alex (Dec 8, 2008 1:02:01 PM)
Excellent Emma, I'll be sure to come and look for you to thank you personally when I attend one of those sessions! Thanks again for your help!

ashish_y (Dec 8, 2008 1:02:14 PM)
Louise: How is the venture capital scene at the moment?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:03:12 PM)
EhsanIran: Please email our Information office, mbainfo@london.edu, with the profile of the students you would like to be put in touch with, and they will organise this for you.

ashish_y (Dec 8, 2008 1:03:15 PM)
Thanks for the information, Claire. I have already read this all on the website, but I wanted to know more about it. I also called up the school a couple of times in regard to that. If I want to get in touch with someone from Responsible Business Club, is it possible?

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 1:03:41 PM)
Tamsin, if you are looking at an application and the numbers and basic profile are in the ballpark for a London Business School student, what distinguishes an application that is accepted from one that is rejected?
TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:04:11 PM)
Hi Linda, I think that my colleague Emma has already given some of the main things we are looking for from applicants and I have added some information on the characteristics for candidates. We will be taking all these things into consideration when making our decisions and they are important aspects of what we are looking for; i.e. we do want students with enough work experience to be able to add to class discussions, the community and ultimately give them the leverage they need to succeed when the job interviews arrive. Essays are a really important piece and showing that candidates have a clear understanding about why an MBA and why London Business School is a strong indicator of how they will perform whilst here. As you may know, the interview involves an impromptu presentation component and this tests not only the way that candidates structure their ideas but also their ability to present and communicate.

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:04:12 PM)
Blueiceman: As far as I know, the Retail and Luxury Goods Club is a rather new one, maybe that gives the answer to the question of why alumni haven't told you much about it. In fact, it is a really active club. We had Gucci here on campus presenting, and Louis Vuitton inviting a group of students to a whole day off-campus doing case studies etc. If you're more interested, please send me a personal email and I'll get you in touch with one of the club members.

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 1:04:13 PM)
Daniela: I think it's one of the most valuable things you can learn and the application process gives you just a little glimpse! Glad to hear it's possible though, thank you!!

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:04:14 PM)
Blueiceman: The Partners Club is an integral part of the community, and LBS makes it a point to include partners in everything that happens on campus. Partners are actually welcome to all social and sports events, and I even know of two partners who found a job in London by networking with other members of the LBS community.

Laura (Dec 8, 2008 1:04:29 PM)
Zoe: It seems the % of women at LBS is slightly lower than some of the top US MBA programs. What are you doing to increase the number of women at LBS?

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:04:55 PM)
Mohammad: There is no scale for measuring such things - we are looking for information that demonstrates the range and breadth of your work experience and also any projects you may be involved in that show your ability to lead - for example, do you have a role in a team, do you many budgets or projects. It varies from person to person.

LouiseWeirLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:05:00 PM)
Linda - Career Services works closely to connect students with summer internship opportunities. Our Industry Careers Fair in January will be attended by companies looking to recruit for internships, and many companies from the finance, consulting and industry sector will arrive on campus in the spring term to recruit for summer interns. Career Services supports students in their skills development throughout the first year of their programme making sure they have their CV and cover letter and interview and networking skills that give them the competitive advantage when recruiters arrive on campus. This is also supported by global job postings on our online job board with companies from across all sectors posting summer internship positions.

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:05:14 PM)
Alex: You're very welcome. I hope that we meet you soon.

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 1:05:18 PM)
Laura: great question!

nygolfer (Dec 8, 2008 1:05:40 PM)
Tamsin: I've visited LBS several times, and enjoy the program. One concern is the currency exchange rates. Did you see any career influences because of loans in GBP vs. earning in other currencies?

Jorge Huaman (Peru) (Dec 8, 2008 1:05:55 PM)
Emma: Does LBS have a special club for wives/partners who come with the students to London? Does LBS help them with the work visa?

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 1:06:49 PM)
Vlad and Daniela, I realize it is early in your London experience, but what is your biggest take-away so far?

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:07:22 PM)
MBA TV is a great opportunity for people interested in London Business School to find out about the variety of activities the students take part in, from the class room to the clubs. Episodes so far have covered admissions tips, orientation and Volunteers Day. As I mentioned, we will soon be going live with the next episodes that cover the Media Summit and our GLAM - Global Leadership Assessment for Managers course. For anyone who would like to share our student experiences via MBA TV, it sits on our blog site.
ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:07:55 PM)
Laura: We are always trying hard to increase the number of women we have in our MBA programme (it is currently 25%). We support this through a range of scholarships solely for women and the activities of our very proactive Women in Business Club. The Club organises a huge number of networking events throughout the year with key recruiters. We also have a research centre on campus devoted to this topic - you can find out more about the centre's activities online.
Laura (Dec 8, 2008 1:08:10 PM)
Zoe: On essays 1 & 2, you inquire about short & long term career plans. How certain do I need to be when addressing these questions, it seems many students change their mind about their career path while in school?
EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:08:14 PM)
Jorge: there is an excellent Partners' Club which offers support to anyone accompanying a student to London Business School. They provide support as people settle into London, advice and guidance when looking for employment and ensure that partners continue to be recognised as a core part of the School community. You can find further details online.
ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:09:56 PM)
Hi Ashish, yes definitely! The best way is probably to send them an email. Also was it our Responsible Business website that you went to?  This will give you names of the leadership team etc.

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:10:13 PM)
Linda - I think I would call my first 4 months at LBS an "eye-opening experience". I have met so many amazing people, richly diverse in their backgrounds, cultures, opinions, interests. Part of this eye-opening has also been to understand that the post-MBA life offers so many possibilities I would have never considered before (careers I didn't even know existed, for example).

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:10:18 PM)
Linda: Mine is a very personal one: That even if you perceive yourself as a very open-minded person that has already lived in different countries and cultures, it is not until you are studying in such an international crowd that you (I) realize how different people's histories and backgrounds are, how different therefore their approaches are and how much you can learn one from another. I really gained a different perspective on some topics.

blueiceman (Dec 8, 2008 1:10:56 PM)
I would like to congratulate everyone behind the MBA TV. I think it's a fantastic initiative. Very informative and lots of fun.

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 1:11:04 PM)
Emma: Hi, is there a full list of every club that LBS has?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:11:54 PM)
Laura: We know that many students change their minds about their career plans when they get on the programme - either through the Clubs or through talking to their peers or by having a good/bad internship experience! It is also ok to not be 100% sure on your application but the key thing is that you must convey a strong sense of purpose. If you don't know what you want to do in your career, how do you know you need an MBA? Even if you have two possible career paths or at least know the function or sector you are most interested in at the moment, this will help give weight to your essays. It can also be a bad thing to be too rigid in your aspirations, especially if they are not realistic given your past experience.

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:12:19 PM)
SarahP: You can find a list of clubs online.

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 1:12:30 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Emma, Zoe, Tamsin, Louise, Claire, Daniela & Vlad for answering all these questions.

We look forward to seeing you at upcoming chats:

NYU Stern                December 15th
MIT Sloan                 January 5th
USC Marshall            January 7th
Consortium               January 14th
Michigan Ross          January 22nd
If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA events list. Please check our Web site for additional details.

LouiseWeirLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:12:50 PM)
Thanks Linda - bye everyone!

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 1:12:53 PM)
Great, thanks Emma!

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:12:56 PM)

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:13:04 PM)
Some great questions today - thanks!

ashish_y (Dec 8, 2008 1:13:08 PM)
Thanks everyone!

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:13:08 PM)
Thanks everyone!

SarahP (Dec 8, 2008 1:13:24 PM)
Thank you!

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:13:30 PM)
Thanks everybody for participating and good luck with your applications!

TamsinShillitoeLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:13:34 PM)
Thank you, good bye. We look forward to receiving your applications.

VK (Dec 8, 2008 1:13:50 PM)
Thanks all.

VladGudovLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:14:02 PM)
Thanks everybody! If you have any further questions, please visit the Student Ambassadors page on the site, and shoot one of us an email.   

shobhitg11 (Dec 8, 2008 1:14:16 PM)
Thank you for answering all our questions. Bye!

TM2 (Dec 8, 2008 1:14:19 PM)

Jorge Huaman (Peru) (Dec 8, 2008 1:14:21 PM)
Thanks to everyone!!!

EmmaBlundellLONDON (Dec 8, 2008 1:14:30 PM)
If anyone will be in London and has further questions, our next Information Session will be on Monday 12 January at 18.30. You can register online.

ashish_y (Dec 8, 2008 1:14:50 PM)
Thanks to Accepted.com for hosting this wonderful chat.

Linda Abraham (Dec 8, 2008 1:14:56 PM)
You're most welcome.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room