2009 Ask Consortium Students Chat with Jackie Olden

2009 Ask Consortium Students Chat with Jackie Olden

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2009 7:02:58 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat.

First I want to welcome all applicants to the Consortium chat today and learn more about its program from the student/alumni perspective. You need to know as much as you can to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice. Being here today allows you to ask the Consortium experts about this outstanding program and their experiences in business school.
I also want to welcome our special guests for this evening:

• Jackie M. Olden - Director of Recruiting
  • Jeanne Barueta - Current Student, University of Virginia Class of 2009
  • Eboni Edwards - Current Student, University of Texas Class of 2009
  • Elizabeth Almonte - Current Student, New York University Class of 2009
  • Ludwig Q. Reimmer - Current Student, Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College Class of 2009
  • John Rhodes - Current Student, University of Michigan Class of 2009
  • Puja Kalra - Current Student, University of Rochester Class of 2009
Thanks to everyone for joining. Could the Consortium students please tell us a little about themselves? We would like to know: • What did you do before b-school? • What are you concentrating in and what extra-curricular activities are you involved in? • What do you want to do/ are doing after your MBA?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:04:36 PM)
Welcome everyone!

Emanone (Jan 14, 2009 7:05:19 PM)
Hello John, I just submitted my applications to Ross, Goizueta and Indiana, but my GMAT score was 540. Do you think I stand a chance?

PujaKalraROCHESTER (Jan 14, 2009 7:07:33 PM)
Hi everyone! I worked at Bloomberg LP for 3 years prior to business school in a sales capacity. I'm currently concentrating in Brand Management and am actively involved in our marketing and women's MBA clubs. After b-school, I will be working at Kraft in Chicago doing brand management.

Bacon Bits (Jan 14, 2009 7:08:57 PM)
Jackie: I just submitted my application for round 2. When does the Consortium send out our applications to the respective schools? Also, I hear some 2nd round Ross applicants have received interviews, what is the timetable for Consortium Ross applicants?

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:09:07 PM)
I was an Engineer prior to school in DC. I'm currently a dual degree student with Public Policy graduating in 2010. I'm involved with the Black Business Students Association - School Ambassador. I interned with a major consulting firm last summer and will return to consulting immediately after school and then into Policy work 3-5 years later.

Neechee (Jan 14, 2009 7:10:15 PM)
John Rhodes, what drew you to policy work?

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2009 7:11:22 PM)
For second year students, did the Consortium help you obtain your internship or even your post-MBA job? If so, how?

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:11:32 PM)
Neechee, personal desire to have an impact in my community. I'm interested in social inequalities, so I'm focusing on Education and Health-care, though I'm not sure which I'll ultimately pursue.

EboniEdwardsTEXAS(Jan 14, 2009 7:11:55 PM)
I worked at Macy's as an assistant buyer before returning to grad school. At McCombs, I helped found the Retail Club. That is a great tool I have used to find retail positions. Over the summer I worked at Chico's FAS (they also own White House/Black Market) as a brand manager. I am hoping to go into the retail field after graduation.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:11:57 PM)
Bacon Bits -- we send the applications in batches. The first one was released yesterday and we will continue to release applications until everything is sent to the schools. I am not familiar with the Ross timetable. Please contact Ross directly.

CStefano (Jan 14, 2009 7:12:34 PM)
Hi Jackie, thank you for having this chat tonight. My name is Christian Stefano and I have worked in M&A/Corporate Development for the last 3 years. I am focusing on international development at B-School, and hope to work with emerging companies in Latin American markets.

PujaKalraROCHESTER (Jan 14, 2009 7:12:52 PM)
Yes Linda, the Consortium helped me land my internship which resulted in a full time offer. Orientation Program (OP) is a phenomenal opportunity to network and interview with companies before even setting foot on campus.

Neechee (Jan 14, 2009 7:13:29 PM)
John, I have very similar interests and motives. What made you decide to go towards public policy over public administration?

Liana (Jan 14, 2009 7:13:50 PM)
Eboni: My educational background is heavily verbal/communications. As MBA students, would you recommend taking a math course prior to starting an MBA program? And if so, what type of math course would be most helpful?

Eliot MBA (Jan 14, 2009 7:14:16 PM)
John: Question for Tuck, Ross and Darden - how many Consortium students are in your class this year? Do you continue to interact with each other?

Helena (Jan 14, 2009 7:14:43 PM)
Hi, I'm currently in sales and marketing for a tech company in CA. I'd like to ask a current or former student if they applied to any b-schools apart from the Consortium and how that varied from applying through the Consortium.

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:14:44 PM)
Neechee - I didn't/don't have any experience in the Public sector. The MPA program is 1 year so I wanted to learn as much as possible.

imanig (Jan 14, 2009 7:15:27 PM)
Greetings Eboni! What other schools did you look at and why did you choose Texas? Are you from the Midwest?

Bacon Bits (Jan 14, 2009 7:15:44 PM)
John, I notice that when I speak to Consultants, they often have a goal planned for afterwards. Do you find that is true of your peers? If so, what about the folks who wish to pursue a longer term career in Consulting itself?

jca0508 (Jan 14, 2009 7:15:57 PM)
Jackie: Do Consortium applicants get notified (either by e-mail, or on their Consortium account) when their applications gets sent out? In other words, how would we know when our applications were sent out (in case we forgot to submit something)?

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:15:57 PM)
Eliot, I would say there are about 40 CGSM students at Ross! We definitely interact with each other every day.

EboniEdwardsTEXAS (Jan 14, 2009 7:16:01 PM)
Liana: At UT, they offer a pre-math course online that is very helpful in preparing you for the coursework. I think other schools offer it, so make sure you ask about it, it will definitely be a great help in your first semester.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:16:14 PM)
Hi Helena! I applied to other schools outside of the Consortium. I think the process was very similar.

luisote (Jan 14, 2009 7:17:28 PM)
Are any of the current MBA students in either an MBA Real Estate or Sport Management specialization? If so, how do you like the program so far?

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:17:43 PM)
Bacon Bits - most of them do have a goal post their consulting experience. However there are folks who want to make it to partner. I don't think consulting firms really care about what it is you want to do after consulting. Like B-Schools they're looking for the best fit and intellectual ability of the applicant.

Gianna (Jan 14, 2009 7:17:48 PM)
Thanks to everyone for investing your time into our futures. Is anyone a graduate assistant? What is your monthly budget? In hindsight, is there anything you would have done differently, either pre-MBA or during your first year? How many people are going to work with the company they interned with last summer?

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:17:50 PM)
Hi Gianna! I was a graduate assistant at Kelley. My assistantship was as an Admissions Counselor during my second year.

app (Jan 14, 2009 7:18:06 PM)
Could any of the MBA students talk about the healthcare offerings at their respective schools?

CStefano (Jan 14, 2009 7:18:41 PM)
Hi John, I have applied to Michigan as my number 1 selection. Is it possible to connect with a Consortium alumnus with my interests in international development?

Helena (Jan 14, 2009 7:18:52 PM)
Thanks, April! Do you know if the Consortium schools also have access to the core essays in the Consortium application?

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:18:57 PM)
Gianna: I think saving prior to school is very important. I saved so I could "pay" myself each month while going through school. (It lasted through my first year.)

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:19:43 PM)
Helena: Yes, all of the schools will receive copies of the full application package, excluding the essays for other schools.

EboniEdwardsTEXAS (Jan 14, 2009 7:19:55 PM)
Hello Imanig, Yes, I'm from St. Louis and I applied to USC and University of Miami, not through the Consortium. I picked Texas, because I had a better connection with the people when I came to visit during my first diversity weekend. It was the collaboration among the students, professors and faculty that sold me.

AMarkovich (Jan 14, 2009 7:20:06 PM)
Did any of the current students receive the fellowship? If so, what things did you include in your mission support essay?

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:20:44 PM)
Cstefano - My contact info is on the CGSM website. Contact me offline and I'll put you in contact with a couple students with that interest. I don't have that sort of information concerning the alumni.

TAH (Jan 14, 2009 7:21:23 PM)
Good evening everyone. After submitting your application, do you find out about admissions decisions before or after the fellowship decisions are finalized?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:21:34 PM)
Jca0508- We do not send notifications after the application is sent to the schools. If I am not mistaken, there is a status notification on your sign in page.

ks_mba (Jan 14, 2009 7:21:35 PM)
For the current students who received fellowships: Would you mind explaining how you cover living expenses? Did you seek additional scholarships or loans? Or are you using your savings? Thanks.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:21:50 PM)
AMarkovich: I'm not a current student, but graduated in May. I included my community interests and activities in my mission essay.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:22:15 PM)
Mr. M--you may submit a late application, but your application will be processed after the applicants who submitted on time are process and sent to the schools.

PujaKalraROCHESTER (Jan 14, 2009 7:22:25 PM)
Ks_mba - it's a combination of additional loans and savings. You can also seek part-time employment on/off campus. I wouldn't recommend employment during your first year, but it's a good idea for second year.

Young Applicant (Jan 14, 2009 7:22:27 PM)
Congrats to you all with job placements already. My question is with B-School being so competitive, how did the Consortium help you get your application together?

Talib Graves-Manns (Jan 14, 2009 7:22:40 PM)
Jackie: I have enrolled into four undergrad business courses this semester (Spring 09) to better prepare myself for first year's math intensive course work. I felt this was a good idea because my Bachelors is in Psychology. Is there a proper method for bringing this to the attention of the admissions department's? And will the Consortium take into account my proactive efforts to prepare for business school?

EboniEdwardsTEXAS (Jan 14, 2009 7:22:49 PM)
Ks_mba: I applied for a scholarship through the National Black MBA Association and used that in addition to what I received from my fellowship.

MrMBA (Jan 14, 2009 7:23:06 PM)
Hi Jackie, I was wondering if you could provide the statistics from last year's applicants. Would you be able to tell us the percent who received admission, and of those who got admitted, what percent received the fellowship as well?

FleurM (Jan 14, 2009 7:23:13 PM)
Can the current MBA students tell us about the time-frame from when they submitted their applications to when they heard back from schools?

Jose Guzman (Jan 14, 2009 7:23:37 PM)
Hi Elizabeth, what made you pick NYU over the other Consortium schools? Was NYU your 1st choice?

EGarza (Jan 14, 2009 7:23:40 PM)
Hi Eboni, What has been the greatest benefit of being in the Consortium, at least at Texas?

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:23:45 PM)
FleurM - During the December Deadline, I started hearing from schools in late January and early February.

PujaKalraROCHESTER (Jan 14, 2009 7:23:48 PM)
FleurM: I submitted my application at the beginning of December and heard back in March.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:24:02 PM)
Talib Graves Manns - that information should have been in you optional essay.

MrMBA (Jan 14, 2009 7:24:15 PM)
Jackie: When should one expect to get notified from Tuck, Stern and Yale, and how many Consortium fellowships did each award last year?

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:24:22 PM)
Young Applicant: The Consortium helped by providing a network of resources to find internships and full-time positions. I interned and joined Consortium sponsoring companies.

James S. (Jan 14, 2009 7:24:29 PM)
If you are not looking to apply for the Consortium until the fall of 2009 would you recommend coming to the Orientation Program in May of 2009 in Charlotte?

guest (Jan 14, 2009 7:24:58 PM)
Jackie: Is it too late to apply through the Consortium?

MBA2011 (Jan 14, 2009 7:25:15 PM)
I am making a career change to Sport Management too. I used my Super Bowl experience in my Consortium essays.

SM (Jan 14, 2009 7:25:18 PM)
For liberal arts undergrads, how did you make the transition?

Liana (Jan 14, 2009 7:25:22 PM)
Thanks Eboni! Also, how realistic is it to work (how much/what type of job?) while pursuing an MBA in a full-time program?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:25:56 PM)
MrMBA--the time frame varies by school. Please contact me for specific school information.

tony (Jan 14, 2009 7:26:13 PM)
Are any of the current Consortium students former Commissioned Officers in the United States Marine Corps (or any other branch of the military for that matter)? If so, who are you and how do you find the program? I have both a Wall Street and military background and am interested in the MBA program at NYU.

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:26:25 PM)
Liana - I think work outside of Graduate Assistance work really isn't that practical given the time commitment you'll have to make to your studies and activities.

EboniEdwardsTEXAS (Jan 14, 2009 7:26:30 PM)
EGarza: There are tons of benefits of being in the Consortium. The networks that you build are one of the most notable benefits. I know students from most of the Universities presented here and it is good to keep these networks open and functioning. Through the Consortium, you are also connected with different alumni from all over and they are a great help in finding open positions.

Jose Guzman (Jan 14, 2009 7:27:01 PM)
Jackie, if you receive a fellowship from a Consortium school, do you automatically become a Consortium member? Or is there a separate process?

DFW-Adam (Jan 14, 2009 7:27:43 PM)
Are any of you in finance? If so, what are your aspirations and current challenges?

Fatima Abdulla (Jan 14, 2009 7:28:03 PM)
Jackie: How do the Consortium &  Consortium schools evaluate the applicant's school ranking on the application?

EboniEdwardsTEXAS (Jan 14, 2009 7:28:25 PM)
Liana: it is very, very, very hard to work and pursue your MBA, full time. From my perspective, it is all about the experience. At UT, we are encouraged to join organizations and make a difference that will outlast our two years.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:28:37 PM)
Jose Guzman--you must receive membership before you are considered for the fellowship.

kkirkl3 (Jan 14, 2009 7:29:28 PM)
Hello, I will be receiving my Bachelor's degree in May and would like to pursue an MBA. How beneficial is it to have professional work experience prior to applying to an MBA program? Are there many students who continue straight through after receiving their undergraduate degree?

Neechee (Jan 14, 2009 7:29:50 PM)
Thanks for the answers John. What is a typical daily schedule for an MBA student?

tony (Jan 14, 2009 7:30:35 PM)
Can anyone speak about the consulting and/or entrepreneurship programs at their school? I would like to hear from somebody at NYU.

LM (Jan 14, 2009 7:30:56 PM)
Hello, I want to ask the panel about housing. Specifically, did you choose to live on campus or off campus? If you lived off campus did you still feel connected with your classmates? How did you manage social interaction if you live away from the campus community?

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:31:41 PM)
Neechee - for a first year at Ross your schedule is pre-determined for you.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:31:49 PM)
Hi kkirkl3! Most schools prefer some post-grad work experience. There are very few students that go straight through to an MBA. Work experience definitely helps make the classroom experience better too.

Gianna (Jan 14, 2009 7:31:55 PM)
April- Nice to see you're here! What's the monthly cost of living in Kelley's community? How would you rate the public transportation?

EboniEdwardsTEXAS (Jan 14, 2009 7:32:08 PM)
LM: I lived off campus. UT does not offer housing for masters' students. But I am not sure how it works at other schools.

luisote (Jan 14, 2009 7:32:51 PM)
Current students, did you end up in your #1 ranked school?

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:33:04 PM)
Gianna: The cost of living isn't bad. I paid $575/month for a 2BR/2BA apt. I met my roommate, who happened to be a Consortium student as well, at an Experience weekend.

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:33:20 PM)
Neechee - you'll be in a section with 65-70 other student with whom you'll have all of your "core" first year classes. Schedules are typically 2 classes on M/W and 2 on T/Th. Times are either 8, 10, or 2 pm. Regarding all other classes, you can decide to add more, or if you waive part of the core, can take place in the evening.

Uzo84 (Jan 14, 2009 7:33:33 PM)
As someone with an interest in the media & entertainment industry, I was wondering if you could share what type of post MBA aspirations other media-inclined applicants tend to discuss in their essays?

2011_Hopeful (Jan 14, 2009 7:33:39 PM)
April - If you are accepted and do not receive the fellowship does IU consider your application for other school based scholarships?

Uzo84 (Jan 14, 2009 7:34:00 PM)
Jackie, how would describe the difference in acceptance rates between traditional applicants and CGSM applicants at your membership schools?

jbidi23 (Jan 14, 2009 7:34:45 PM)
Hi April, I attended Kelley In Focus and found it to be very insightful. How are the greater campus facilities?

EGarza (Jan 14, 2009 7:35:03 PM)
Thanks Eboni. How about during the application process? Beyond facilitating the application to multiple schools and reducing the cost of application to multiple schools, did you feel that schools looked at it favorably or that it opened up additional dialogue with admissions officers for you?

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:35:06 PM)
2011_Hopeful: Yes. At IU, over 75% of our students receive some type of financial aid, whether it is assistantship, loan, etc. The financial folks try to help out as much as possible.

luisote (Jan 14, 2009 7:35:43 PM)
MBAs: What has been your biggest challenge at b-school (as a Consortium student), if any, compared to other MBA students?

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:36:05 PM)
Bacon Bits, Luisote - I was accepted by all of my 5 choices.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:36:19 PM)
Jbidi23: I'm glad you got the chance to attend. I think IU has great facilities. The gyms are nice and the health center is convenient and nice too.

EboniEdwardsTEXAS (Jan 14, 2009 7:36:54 PM)
EGarza: I didn't apply to a lot of schools. However, I know people who did and I don't think it was a hindrance. Most schools want to know, especially when it comes down to making your final decision, but other than that you should be fine.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:36:55 PM)
Bacon Bits, I applied to 3. I got in to my #2 and #3.

DFW-Adam (Jan 14, 2009 7:37:07 PM)
Are there any finance-MBA's and what challenges have you experience?

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:37:11 PM)
luisote - figuring out the appropriate balance of school, life, work, etc. was my biggest challenge

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:37:31 PM)
MBA Guy--you want to have everything in our office no later than January 31st.

Kobe (Jan 14, 2009 7:37:37 PM)
Jackie: Will all the schools know how you ranked them in your Consortium application? Will the rankings have an effect on which schools you get accepted to?

Emanone (Jan 14, 2009 7:37:42 PM)
John Rhodes -did you get more than 1 offer of admissions?

Lunel (Jan 14, 2009 7:37:56 PM)
Are there any Consortium requirements while completing your MBA or after completing your MBA?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:37:58 PM)
Kobe -- yes the schools will see the rankings.

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:38:04 PM)
Emanone - yes I did.

jcpa (Jan 14, 2009 7:38:14 PM)
Hi Jackie, does the Consortium have relationships with companies that focus on real estate that will also be in attendance at the orientation?

jbidi23 (Jan 14, 2009 7:38:59 PM)
Greetings friends, Jason Allababidi here, thank you CGSM for hosting tonight's chat. What if you apply and are accepted to a Consortium affiliated school, but not via the Consortium common application and decide to attend that program - can you still become part of the Consortium?

Eliot MBA (Jan 14, 2009 7:39:10 PM)
April (and other students), do you find that the Consortium sponsors have better employment prospects than non-Consortium companies?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:39:35 PM)
Jcpa - we are speaking with real estate companies who we would like to join us as sponsors. So far, we do not have any.

Emanone (Jan 14, 2009 7:39:55 PM)
When will the Consortium applicants start getting notifications about admission?

luisote (Jan 14, 2009 7:40:25 PM)
Eboni and/or any other UT and NYU student, what's your MBA specialization?

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:40:26 PM)
Emanone - check the school's websites. you'll see when they plan to notify applicants.

Gianna (Jan 14, 2009 7:40:41 PM)
Did any students find it more difficult to attain loans last year? Do you see the economy changing the dynamics of your MBA experience?

EboniEdwardsTEXAS (Jan 14, 2009 7:41:03 PM)
luisote: My specialization is Marketing.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:41:11 PM)
Eliot MBA: I think it varies. With Consortium Alumni at various companies, you get the inside scoop about interviews, work life, etc. With non-Consortium companies, it's just different. You will find alum that do try to target Consortium students for their companies. A return on investment is always good.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:41:21 PM)
Emanone - the early admits should start receiving letters around the first of February and the 2nd round will hear back late February.

2011_Hopeful (Jan 14, 2009 7:41:44 PM)
April - On average, how many Consortium students does Kelley admit in a year?

Eliot MBA (Jan 14, 2009 7:41:46 PM)
How does the fellowship process work? I understand the rankings, but am curious if the schools make offers separately or do so cooperatively.

MrMBA (Jan 14, 2009 7:42:02 PM)
Are there any second year students here, and if there are, how is the recruitment going this year?  If tougher, what areas are still actively recruiting.

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:42:16 PM)
Gianna - Loans were not a problem last year, but banks are definitely changing their positions now. While there is still a strong chance to receive loans, funding options are beginning to dwindle.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:42:33 PM)
2011_Hopeful: It varies per year. My class (;08) had 11. The '09 class had 13 and I believe there are 18 in the '10 class.

jj (Jan 14, 2009 7:42:35 PM)
If I  already submitted my application, but wanted to make an addendum, such as providing materials for the fourth essay, would my application still be considered as late?

FleurM (Jan 14, 2009 7:42:47 PM)
Jackie, how long does it typically take for the Consortium to review applications before they are passed on to the schools?

*$*The Young Exec*$* (Jan 14, 2009 7:42:51 PM)
How did the Consortium aid you as far as housing is concerned?

TAH (Jan 14, 2009 7:43:25 PM)
Jackie: Has the Consortium seen a large increase in the amount of applications this year?

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:43:39 PM)
The Young Exec: Housing is up to the individual.

Neechee (Jan 14, 2009 7:43:41 PM)
MBA's: Due to the demanding schedule, how were you able to fit in other commitments? Would you wake up at 5:00 am everyday and go to bed at 1 am? How intense are the schedules?

CMU_Pamela (Jan 14, 2009 7:43:46 PM)
Young Exec: the schools usually will help you find housing as they have a better handle on the area.

TAH (Jan 14, 2009 7:43:49 PM)
Eboni- what type of GMAT score is acceptable at McCombs?

2011_Hopeful (Jan 14, 2009 7:43:53 PM)
For the Consortium member with a Marketing focus, have you seen the number of recruiters on campus decline. How is our nation's current economic situation affecting marketing positions?

Uzo84 (Jan 14, 2009 7:44:00 PM)
Do entrepreneurial applicants tend to forgo running their businesses once in b-school, or do you all know of any that are just able to step back, let someone else run it, only making vital decisions here and there?

CMU_Pamela (Jan 14, 2009 7:44:06 PM)
Mr MBA, I am a second year MBA Student. So far my offer is from OP - for an internship.

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:44:15 PM)
Young Exec - Housing is up to you, but schools typically offer housing fairs or something similar during admitted student weekends. And current students are usually the best source of info. They'll typically be moving out and can put you in contact with their landlords.

Jissan Cherian (Jan 14, 2009 7:44:20 PM)
Pamela - Tepper is my number one choice, how many other Consortium students are in your class?

guest (Jan 14, 2009 7:44:24 PM)
Jackie, If one of my letters of recommendation has not been sent, is my application late?

EboniEdwardsTEXAS (Jan 14, 2009 7:44:55 PM)
TAH-I am actually on the Admissions Committee and I can honestly say it varies. We are looking at the whole package. So your undergrad GPA, essays and recommendations are also important parts of your overall package.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:44:59 PM)
Neechee: I would definitely say you have to make time for what you want. School and commitments can definitely be overwhelming, but you learn how to make the best decisions and what works for you.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:45:32 PM)
Guest - your application is considered incomplete.

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:45:32 PM)
Neechee - I have class at 10 and 1 now on M,T,W,Th and F. I go to the gym everyday, wake up between 7 and 8. Usually in bed by 1 unless I'm going out to "network".

Nicolas (Jan 14, 2009 7:46:55 PM)
Jackie: How important is the GMAT grade in getting accepted into the schools and then getting the fellowships?

DFW-Adam (Jan 14, 2009 7:47:09 PM)
MBAs: Can you elaborate on your biggest challenges to date?

imanig (Jan 14, 2009 7:47:47 PM)
Eboni - Are you familiar with the PLUS program at UT? How is it weaved into the curriculum/schedules? Have you found it beneficial to your goals in marketing, especially since you are heavily involved in the retail club?

Jose Guzman (Jan 14, 2009 7:47:59 PM)
Pamela: What is your track at Tepper? Also, what industry will you work in once you graduate?

Manny (Jan 14, 2009 7:48:44 PM)
MBAs: Hello, considering the current state of the economy, what are some of the steps your b-schools are taking to prepare students in order to secure jobs?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:48:51 PM)
Nicolas - the GMAT is critical in getting accepted to b-school. Management consulting requires a minimum GMAT as well.

AMarkovich (Jan 14, 2009 7:49:14 PM)
Jackie: Do a lot of applicants that do not receive a fellowship wait and reapply the next year? If we are not accepted for the fellowship, can we get feedback on our application? What is the most important aspect of the application?

CMU_Pamela (Jan 14, 2009 7:49:20 PM)
Jose: I am in the entrepreneurship track,  but not everyone has one.  This does not affect your coursework as classes are open to everyone. I will focus in life sciences/pharmaceuticals, but this has to do with my background and interests prior to B-School.

CMU_Pamela (Jan 14, 2009 7:49:48 PM)
Uzo84: At Tepper, there is an entrepreneurship track and people are very passionate about it. Some people may abandon it, others are pursuing it during B-School, and there are others who may have not thought about it and are looking into it.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:49:49 PM)
DFW-Adam: My biggest challenge was learning to balance when to be a leader and when to step back. In b-school, it seemed like everyone wanted to be in charge.

Melissa (Jan 14, 2009 7:50:29 PM)
Hi Eboni! I am a Longhorn that lives in Chicago, and I wanted to see how your MBA experience has been at McCombs? By the way, I just remembered that I saw you on the UT MBA brochure.

Adam (Jan 14, 2009 7:50:38 PM)
Jackie: What are the requirements for Consortium fellows/members during their MBA experience and after graduation?

EboniEdwardsTEXAS (Jan 14, 2009 7:50:38 PM)
Imanig: I did a PLUS project last year with the National Basketball Association (NBA) and it was awesome! You do it like a consulting project outside of school work. The professors are there to help and you will have funds to help out. And to the last part of your question, my project did not have to do with retail, but it was still very helpful because the project was focused on consumer insights, as was my internship.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:50:47 PM)
AMarkovich - We have quite a few applicants who reapply the second year after communicating with the schools who did not admit them.

Afua (Jan 14, 2009 7:51:02 PM)
Jackie: Is the Consortium membership decision separate from the Consortium fellowship decision? When will these decisions be communicated? (I applied in the 1st round).

Uzo84 (Jan 14, 2009 7:51:48 PM)
MBAs: I'm sure many of you are and find yourselves around many Type A personalities who eventually want to start their own innovative companies. Do many of you find yourselves exploring business ideas and opportunities frequently, both in and outside of the classroom?

CMU_Pamela (Jan 14, 2009 7:51:54 PM)
DFW- Adam: The biggest challenge is to find the right balance between life inside and outside school, and this is very important if you have a family. Additionally, it is challenging to decide which events to attend, as they are often conflicting, so you must decide which will have more of an impact on your future.

mise-en-place (Jan 14, 2009 7:52:08 PM)
Hello Pamela, what is the range of GMAT scores that you've seen? Are you able to speak about the factors that have helped the applicants with lower scores ultimately be successful?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:52:20 PM)
Adam -we expect our students to participate in B-school activities, take leadership roles and give back with your time and treasures upon completing your MBA.

MrMBA (Jan 14, 2009 7:52:37 PM)
Hi Jackie, on the average, how many applicants do Tuck and Yale admit each year through the Consortium?

Waffi (Jan 14, 2009 7:52:53 PM)
Hi Jackie, can you please elaborate on the Consortium statistics? I have read that 60% of Consortium applicants gain admission to at least one of their choices; However, that sounds high compared to the overall 10% admission rates at the individual schools. What is/are the schools that are ranked in the top 3 and which of the schools make the most offers?

JohnE (Jan 14, 2009 7:53:04 PM)
Eboni Texas- Is there an advantage to following up with the admissions committees at the selected schools regarding your interest in the schools?

jcpa (Jan 14, 2009 7:53:29 PM)
MBAs: Have any of you been accepted to your top choice, but chose the Consortium school/fellowship anyway? If so, what factors aided you in your decision? Any regrets?

EboniEdwardsTEXAS (Jan 14, 2009 7:53:31 PM)
Hi Melissa! Yes that is me in the brochure :) And I can honestly say that I love the MBA program for many reasons. The top reasons have a lot to do with the leadership opportunities I have had and the collaborative nature among the students and professors.

CMU_Pamela (Jan 14, 2009 7:53:39 PM)
Mise-en-place: Please direct it to the school's admission, I have no idea!

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:54:58 PM)
Afua - the membership and fellowship decisions are made on the same day. You will receive notification regarding membership only if you do not get membership.

Neechee (Jan 14, 2009 7:54:59 PM)
Thanks April and John. Switching gears, how does the GMAT score affect admission into the Consortium?

2011_Hopeful (Jan 14, 2009 7:55:08 PM)
Jackie - What is the minimum GMAT that the Consortium accepts?

kubu (Jan 14, 2009 7:55:18 PM)
Does the GMAT then count more than your B-school grades for Management Consulting, for example?

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:55:34 PM)
Uzo84 - This does happen, as there are incubators at the school that help facilitate new venture creation here at Ross. Most of the opportunities are driven from people's area of interest.

luisote (Jan 14, 2009 7:55:37 PM)
What kind of contact does the CGSM keep with the students throughout their 2 years at school? Also, what activities are done for students while at school?

EboniEdwardsTEXAS (Jan 14, 2009 7:55:51 PM)
JohnE: At UT, yes. It is always helpful if you are able to make a connection with a student or someone else in admissions. Especially if you have something lacking in your application and you need someone to vouch for you.

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:56:00 PM)
Uzo84 - For me, this is education/healthcare. And there are tons of students with similar interests.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:56:01 PM)
Jcpa: I was accepted to my top choice, but chose to attend a Consortium school. It came down to the Fellowship. I had to evaluate whether I wanted to take loans. I'm proud to say that I made it through B-school without taking any loans at all.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:56:17 PM)
2011 - the Consortium GMAT minimum is not important. You are competing with everyone who applied to the schools you rank on your application. The question is what their minimum GMAT score is.

twintai (Jan 14, 2009 7:56:36 PM)
Can you give us the number of applications submitted via the Consortium?

EGarza (Jan 14, 2009 7:56:55 PM)
Could all current students/alumni discuss the culture of their respective schools?

Kelli Haywood (Jan 14, 2009 7:57:03 PM)
Jackie: Is there any advice you can offer to students applying with little to no work experience?

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 7:57:12 PM)
Kubu - Ross has a non-disclosure policy, so yes, your GMAT is more important than B-school grades. However you definitely need to show your grasp of the information taught in school and it will be tested in the interview.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:57:18 PM)
Luisote: At Kelley, the Consortium students have regular gatherings and outings. Each school has Consortium Liaisons that connect the students to the Consortium.

CMU_Pamela (Jan 14, 2009 7:57:24 PM)
Luisote: The Op is a PHENOMENAL event and a great opportunity to meet other students, companies, etc. The CGSM reps are in constant contact with CGSM and then info is passed along to students. It is a great network that from my understanding goes beyond B-school.

Hunter33 (Jan 14, 2009 7:58:33 PM)
Elizabeth: Are there any NYU marketing students online? Could you talk about the marketing program and how NYU marketing students fair against marketing grads from other top tier programs?

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 7:58:49 PM)
EGarza: The culture at Kelley is very collaborative. Our first semester you're assigned a team that you work with for the entire semester. We also do lots of things around leadership development and there are many opportunities to demonstrate and hone those skills.

CMU_Pamela (Jan 14, 2009 7:59:11 PM)
Egarza: Tepper is small, compared to other schools. Classes have about 200 people. Everyone gets to meet everyone, the student: professor ratio is great. There are a lot of collaborations across campus with other departments and within Tepper.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 7:59:22 PM)
Waffi - Over 50% of our applicants are admitted to at least one of their schools. We receive between 800-900 applications annually. Contact me directly for more statistical information.

MrMBA (Jan 14, 2009 7:59:32 PM)
For those of you that attended the OP, how easy is it to obtain an internship from the OP especially if one is considering a career change?

chris (Jan 14, 2009 7:59:47 PM)
Jackie: Does the same admissions committee who reviews the Consortium applications review the overall applicant pool? Are Consortium candidates looked at any differently?

Waffi (Jan 14, 2009 8:00:38 PM)
Jackie, how does the number of applications this year compare to last year?

jcpa (Jan 14, 2009 8:01:03 PM)
Have any of you had to balance parenthood and the MBA? If so, what were your biggest challenges?

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 8:01:47 PM)
MrMBA: OP is awesome!!!!!!! I'm a career changer myself and got 3 (and foundation for the 4th) internship offers from OP. It's a great atmosphere to interview the companies about possibilities and be seen before these companies set foot on campus.

CMU_Pamela (Jan 14, 2009 8:01:52 PM)
MrMBA: An internship from the OP is easier in that you get time with 1st caliber companies before school starts. It is not an easier process, you just get to meet them first. Most of the students from my class that applied and interviewed had an offer.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 8:01:56 PM)
Chris - Consortium applicants are not looked at differently. The Admissions representatives who read the Consortium applications also review the applications that are mailed directly to the school.

Kelli Haywood (Jan 14, 2009 8:01:57 PM)
MBAs: Is there any advice anyone can offer for applicants who are waitlisted?

twintai (Jan 14, 2009 8:02:30 PM)
Jackie - From what I've been told, the application process if "holistic" and therefore requires a full assessment of the whole application. What kind of qualities will help one overcome a low GMAT score? Does experience and recommendation help?

JohnRhodesMICHIGAN (Jan 14, 2009 8:03:53 PM)
Kelli - Take a serious look at your app and try to determine its weaknesses. If you know it is your GMAT, take it again and let the school know, etc. Hope that helps.

Jose Guzman (Jan 14, 2009 8:03:58 PM)
Jackie - if I applied in Round 1, when should I expect to know if I've received the fellowship? March?

2011_Hopeful (Jan 14, 2009 8:04:09 PM)
April - Does IU have any activities or groups for MBA students with spouses/significant others? Do they have any assistance available to help them in a job search if they will be coming to Bloomington as well?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 8:04:10 PM)
Twintai- have you spoken with a representative from your schools of interest? I highly recommend you do that first. Experience and recommendations help, but it also depends on the score.

CMU_Pamela (Jan 14, 2009 8:04:13 PM)
Jcpa: I am a mom, but there are not many in the program, although there are a lot of fathers. I can answer from a mom perspective, which is different. My biggest challenge is treating b-school like a full time job and being able to spend time with family. It can be done, my classmates are very respectful of my needs and will try to meet during 'regular business hours'. My husband works, so we have a double working family - most fathers have support at home as they have moved here from somewhere else and their wives, in many cases, stay at home. But it can be done. It is not harder than a full time job and you actually get flexibility with your schedule!

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 8:04:44 PM)
Jose: All fellowship decisions are mailed in March.

twintai (Jan 14, 2009 8:04:54 PM)
Jackie - No, I haven't spoken to a representative at the school, but I will look into that now.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 8:05:22 PM)
Kobe - the Consortium interview is shared with each school on your application.

JohnE (Jan 14, 2009 8:05:40 PM)
Jackie - If I applied R2 through the Consortium and plan to retake the GMAT, is early February too late to communicate my hopefully improved score to the admissions committees?

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 8:05:41 PM)
Twintai--good choice!

TAH (Jan 14, 2009 8:06:03 PM)
Eboni- what other advantages does UT offer for someone that wants to pursue a career in retail other than the club that you all started?

EboniEdwardsTEXAS (Jan 14, 2009 8:05:59 PM)
TAH-We are working to get more started now because there has been a lot of interest from the first years. But the catalyst has been the club. We hosted a trek with University of Michigan last year to New York and got to meet with prospective employers. We also had alumni in retail come back to the schools to talk and give insights into their positions.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 8:06:22 PM)
JohnE- no it is not too late. Make sure they know you plan to retake the test.

Melissa (Jan 14, 2009 8:06:26 PM)
In preparation for the MBA, I have heard that we should try to take a Finance and Accounting class if possible, because these two tend to be the hardest classes in the first semester. My question is, where do you recommend taking these classes? I have checked in Chicago, and the only way to take them is either paying around $2K/class or online. Is there any other option to take these classes that you know of? I checked with local Chicago community colleges and they do not offer these types of classes.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2009 8:06:30 PM)
Melissa, Check out MBAmath.com.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 8:06:31 PM)
Melissa, community college is a good choice. Some schools offer a mini-math camp prior to fall classes. Contact individual schools for details.

AprilTaylorINDIANA (Jan 14, 2009 8:06:32 PM)
2011_Hopeful: Yes. There is a Partners club at Kelley. There are opportunities for spouses to get jobs in the b-school or on campus.

twintai (Jan 14, 2009 8:06:34 PM)
Jackie: Aside from the school specific essay, which other essays are shared with the schools we applied to?

jcpa (Jan 14, 2009 8:06:37 PM)
Thanks Pamela! I am a mom of a 2 year old.

CMU_Pamela (Jan 14, 2009 8:07:02 PM)
Jcpa: me too! And one on the way for May!

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2009 8:07:07 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to all the Consortium representatives here this evening.

We look forward to seeing you at future events. Here is a list of currently scheduled events:

Michigan Ross January 22, 2009

UNC Kenan Flagler February 19, 2009

UVA Darden February 25, 2009

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details.

Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

Liana (Jan 14, 2009 8:07:42 PM)
Thank you for your time.

Lunel (Jan 14, 2009 8:07:45 PM)
Thank you for hosting this chat!

DFW-Adam (Jan 14, 2009 8:07:50 PM)
Thanks for all of you assistance and time.

Kelli Haywood (Jan 14, 2009 8:07:59 PM)
Thank you.

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 8:08:09 PM)
Feel free to participate in other chats sponsored by Accepted.com.

Eliot MBA (Jan 14, 2009 8:08:10 PM)

Emanone (Jan 14, 2009 8:08:45 PM)
Thanks for hosting the chat!

MrMBA (Jan 14, 2009 8:08:48 PM)
Thank you for your time!

jcpa (Jan 14, 2009 8:09:02 PM)

2011_Hopeful (Jan 14, 2009 8:09:04 PM)
Thank you!

EGarza (Jan 14, 2009 8:09:07 PM)
Thanks everyone!

KJ (Jan 14, 2009 8:09:10 PM)
Thank you. This was very helpful.

IseNiki Banigo (Jan 14, 2009 8:09:13 PM)
Thank you very much!

Neechee (Jan 14, 2009 8:09:35 PM)
Thank you for your time and sharing your experiences.

Melissa (Jan 14, 2009 8:09:42 PM)
Thank you!

Terrence Southern (Jan 14, 2009 8:09:49 PM)

tony (Jan 14, 2009 8:10:05 PM)

JackieOldenCONSORTIUM (Jan 14, 2009 8:10:45 PM)
If you have additional questions please call the Consortium office 1-888-658-6814. Ask for me, Ken or Becky!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room