2009 London Business School MBA/MiF Admissions Chat with Zoë McLoughlin

2009 London Business School MBA/MiF Admissions Chat with Zoë McLoughlin

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Mar 23, 2009 1:00:00 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome all applicants to the London Business School chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about London Business School’s MBA program. Whether you are working hard on your application to prepare for London Business School’s April 30th deadline or you are doing research with the intention of submitting in the fall, you need to know as much as you can to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice. Being here today allows you to ask the London Business School experts about this outstanding business school. I also want to welcome the impressive team London Business School has assembled to answer your questions today:

• Zoë McLoughlin, Events and Marketing Manager, MBA Programme. Zoë looks after admissions for candidates who are based in the UK.
  • Lisa Mortini, Marketing and Admissions Officer, MBA Programme. Lisa looks after admissions for candidates who are based in the USA.
  • Peter Johnson, Senior Admissions Officer, Masters in Finance.
  • Claire Hewitson, Senior Marketing and Communications Manager, Career Services.
  • David Morris, Senior Business Development Manager, Career Services

• Vlad Gudov, MBA2010 Student. Vlad is coming to the end of his second term at London Business School. He is originally from Romania where he studied Economics and International Business at university. Prior to starting the MBA, Vlad worked as a Marketing Research Manager with Ringier Romania. He is a member of many of the London Business School student clubs including the Media Club and the Tennis Club. Vlad is also an MBA student ambassador.
  • Daniela Gruebel, MBA2010 Student. Daniela is also an MBA student ambassador who is about to complete the second term of her MBA. Daniela is from Germany where she studied International Business Administration in Wiesbaden. Daniela’s most recent job before becoming a London Business School student was in the finance sector where she worked as Head of Marketing and Communication at LHI Leasing GmbH in Munich. She is also a member of several of the London Business School student clubs including the Women in Business Club and the Responsible Business Club.
  • Asli Buss, MIFFT2009 student. Asli has just completed her second term at London Business School and she will be graduating in July 2009. She is originally from Turkey where she studied Business Administration at Koç University. Prior to the MIF program, she worked in several different finance roles in the industry, most recently at GE in London.
  • Gaurav Koolwal, MIFFT2009 student. Gaurav has just completed his second term at London Business School and he will be graduating in July 2009. He is originally from India where he studied Commerce at Pune University. Prior to the MIF program, he worked for ABN AMRO in Mumbai.

As you can tell from the guest list, today’s chat also represents an opportunity not only to gain insight into London’s MBA program, but also to explore the Masters in Finance program at London Business School, located in one of the leading financial centers of the world. We invite questions about London’s Masters in Finance program as well as its MBA program.

Welcome. Thanks to everyone for joining. It’s your turn now. Please post your questions.

Linda Abraham (Mar 23, 2009 1:03:55 PM)
Peter, Zoe, and Lisa: What makes an application stand out in a positive way as you go through piles of them?

Linda Abraham (Mar 23, 2009 1:04:02 PM)
Students: What attracted you to London Business School? Has your experience met your expectations?

VladGudovLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:05:05 PM)
Hi Linda, for me it was the reputation of the academics (confirmed when I came to campus for a visit and attended a couple of classes), the reputation of the school, the international nature of the program, and, obviously, the location.

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:05:07 PM)
What makes an application stand out is when we can get a real sense of the applicant's personality. Do sell your achievements but be genuine!

kl_ind (Mar 23, 2009 1:05:27 PM)
Claire and David: Given the economic scenario, what has the placement scene been like?

AsliBussLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:05:37 PM)
Linda, London Business School's outstanding reputation and great academics in finance. Also location- London is the international finance hub.

gocool (Mar 23, 2009 1:05:56 PM)
Lisa: What percentage of the class are engineers?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:07:02 PM)
Linda: What stands out for me is when a candidate really lets their personality shine through in their essays. I think sometimes people write what they think the AdCom wants to hear, whereas passion and enthusiasm for your goals and achievements is always impressive. It's also always great when a candidate can really demonstrate how their skills and achievements to date are relevant to both the MBA and their short and long-term goals, even if they are career-switchers.

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:07:12 PM)
Hey Linda, building on the reasons Vlad just mentioned, for me, the major reason for joining was the diversity and quality of the participants. I would say one learns as much from faculty as from fellow students, and the amount of different experiences and backgrounds is just amazing.

arnaud_31 (Mar 23, 2009 1:07:25 PM)
Zoe: Hello, I m Arnaud from Paris. How important is the GMAT score in your admission process?

Linda Abraham (Mar 23, 2009 1:08:31 PM)
Asli and Gaurav, why did you choose to do a MiF and not an MBA?

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:08:54 PM)
Gocool: our class is very diverse, not only in nationalities but also in backgrounds. We have a certain amount of students who studied engineering but may be working in many different sectors such as finance, energy, industry or IT.

AsliBussLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:09:15 PM)
Linda, I chose the MiF because I had a BA on Business Administration and I wanted to further specialize in finance.

Sian (Mar 23, 2009 1:09:16 PM)
Peter:  What are the most common job backgrounds for the current MIF class (e.g. FX traders, analysts)? Do you see a shift in the background focus within this year’s application pool?  What type and level of financial knowledge is expected from the MIF applicants?

HENRY (Mar 23, 2009 1:09:32 PM)
Lisa: How many applications do you receive in each application phase?

gocool (Mar 23, 2009 1:09:41 PM)
Zoe: What is the minimum work experience required?

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:09:53 PM)
Hi Kl_ind, the first indication that we got as to how the market place is affecting our students were from the 2008 employment reports. We felt that although there was a slight drop in placements, our graduates' placement results still reflected a strong position. Our 2008 class had a result of 91%. The Career Services department has launched an aggressive campaign to increase the number of opportunities by 20% to combat the effects of the market. However, the economic situation has resulted in a very competitive market out there.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:09:56 PM)
Arnaud_31: The GMAT is obviously important to us, in that it is a benchmark against which we can compare students from all over the world, who may all have different types of qualifications. It is however, just one part of your application and we always view candidates holistically - your GMAT will be considered alongside your work experience, soft skills, references and goals. If your GMAT score was less competitive, it could be compensated for with great work experience or a great undergraduate performance.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:11:00 PM)
Hi Sian. MiF applicants will come from a wide range of finance backgrounds, but all will have finance experience (minimum 2 years but the average is 6).

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:11:11 PM)
Gocool: The average years of post-graduate work experience in the current class is about 5 years and the range is 2 years right up to 13 years.

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:11:38 PM)
Henry, our admissions run over four stages each year. Stages 1 and 2 are bigger than stages 3 and 4. There is no preference given to any stage and we recommend that you apply when you are fully satisfied with the standard of your application.

David (Mar 23, 2009 1:11:44 PM)
Hi Zoe & Lisa! Will you be able to answer questions about the Masters in Management course also?

Linda Abraham (Mar 23, 2009 1:12:54 PM)
Students: Who are you favorite professors? What have been your best classes?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:13:18 PM)
David - today we are only answering questions about the MiF and MBA. For other programs refer to our website.

Sian (Mar 23, 2009 1:13:52 PM)
Peter: Has there been a change in the number of applications for MIF this year compared to past years?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:13:57 PM)
SV: We do accept candidates with 2 years of post-grad work experience, but they will need to prove that they have managed to excel within their role/sector within that time. If you consider that class participation is a big part of our MBA, all students must be able to make a valuable contribution whether they have 2 or 13 years of work experience. It is therefore every individual's choice to decide if their work to date has stretched and challenged them and given them lots of different experiences to draw on during the MBA.

aki23 (Mar 23, 2009 1:14:05 PM)
Zoe: I am applicant for LBS 2011 and would like to visit LBS on a weekend. Can I visit on a Saturday or Sunday?

Jorge (Mar 23, 2009 1:14:28 PM)
Lisa: I would like to know if you are focused on corporate finance what would fit you the best, an MBA or an MIF?

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:14:30 PM)
Linda, so far, I liked my class on "Decision and Risk Analysis" best: I did not have much prior knowledge on that subject and took away a lot of valuable tools and methods on how to assess and evaluate risk.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:14:44 PM)
Sian - MiF applications are currently running at 10% up on last year (itself a record year).

AsliBussLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:14:52 PM)
Linda, I just had a full day on a class called World Economy- Problems and Prospects. Great professors (class taught by 4 professors). Great discussion of current events.

Phani (Mar 23, 2009 1:14:56 PM)
Peter: Hi, I have 3 years of work experience, and I need to make a decision as to which among the MBA or MIF is more suitable for me. Can you please tell me the crucial distinctions between the two and what sort of key skills and personality types do you look for in candidates for each of them?

Linda Abraham (Mar 23, 2009 1:15:55 PM)
Claire and David, how are graduates of both the MBA and MiF programs doing in the job market. Are they getting offers? Is the market for MiF softer than MBA?

VladGudovLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:16:23 PM)
Linda: we have just completed the second term of the MBA course, so after 6 months in the program, I look back on several very good classes. In the first term I really enjoyed the Corporate Finance class, and the Business Statistics class. In the second term, I found the Decision & Risk Analysis amazing, and also the Managing Organizational Behavior class, where we had a very interesting professor, who kept the class energized with many examples of situations corporations are facing nowadays.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:16:36 PM)
Aki23: We occasionally run Open House events on a weekend (our next one will be coming up in July - please check our web-site for details nearer the time), but we do not generally organize campus visits at the weekend. We do run a drop-in session for anyone interested in the MBA at 15.00 every Friday afternoon, which you can just turn up for. This includes a Q&A session with a member of the AdCom and a current student, as well as a tour of the campus.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:16:54 PM)
Phani, regarding MiF vs. MBA - either program is a good choice for people with a finance background and finance career goals. People should chose the MiF if they want a "pure diet of finance" and the MBA if they want finance and the general management subjects.

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:16:55 PM)
Jorge: Peter will also answer but I believe that if you are experienced in and focused on Finance and would like to develop an expertise then the MiF is the right program for you.

Bobby (Mar 23, 2009 1:17:01 PM)
Zoe: In an application, would you suggest the candidate to picture himself in a broad view and covers his traits from various perspectives or would it be better to concentrate on one or two details with vivid descriptions?

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:17:35 PM)
Linda, apart from that, I really enjoyed the GLDP course (Global Development Leadership Program): It consists of a number of different modules ranging from 360-degree-feedback from your study group to soft skill training sessions taught in small groups (e.g. "winning competitive presentations", "public speaking", "negotiations"). These were very interesting and could be chosen according to each one's individual preferences.

Sian (Mar 23, 2009 1:18:05 PM)
Peter: How many places for the MIF program are still left open? How many students will be accepted this year?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:19:10 PM)
Hi Sian - we plan to admit about 145 students to the full time MiF and 65 to the weekend study format MiF. There are still places available for both.

Hakeem (Mar 23, 2009 1:19:14 PM)
Peter: Do you have a business tour as part of MiF program? If so, what events/activities comprise this program and in which locations is it held?

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:19:24 PM)
Hi Linda, we have had many companies post vacancies through our online job boards this year as well as come on to campus for a range of recruiting events. We had a very successful Industry Careers Fair as well as a successful Executive Search Networking evening. Offers for full time, internships and projects are starting to be extended now to students across programs and we're collating the results.

DavidMorrisLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:19:34 PM)
Linda as a follow-up to Claire's response, this year we have seen an increase in companies especially from the industry sectors coming to recruit on-campus for both permanent roles and summer internships. We are also seeing a strong interest from early-stage/start-up companies looking to recruit for projects/internships.

kl_ind (Mar 23, 2009 1:19:40 PM)
David: I am confused regarding the MiF & MBA Programs. I am a finance professional with 6 years of experience and would like to do Finance, but am worried that the recruiters give less weight to an MiF as opposed to an MBA. Is there any truth to this?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:19:41 PM)
Bobby: It is very much each individual's choice how they present themselves in an application, and I would advise you to choose whichever perspective works best for you and allows you to show yourself in the best light. Obviously if you are giving examples, it is always good if they are descriptive rather than you just presenting a list of achievements, but you may have a lot of things you want to fit into your essays. Generally, I would suggest writing your essays and then getting friends or family to read them and let you know if they think your essays reflect you and what you've achieved. People who know you well are usually the best critics!

newyorker (Mar 23, 2009 1:19:59 PM)
Zoe: I am planning to visit LBS this summer, but may not be able to make it to one of the formal information sessions. Is a drop-in visit just as informative/helpful?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:20:13 PM)
Hakeem: No, we do not have a business tour as part of the MiF, but student clubs organize business treks to a number of locations worldwide.

Sian (Mar 23, 2009 1:20:24 PM)
Peter:  Please provide some hints regarding the personal statement for MIF program. Which style is preferred– a creative self-presentation or hard facts, ‘sell yourself’ storyline?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:21:31 PM)
Sian - the essay style in entirely your choice. It is the most important part of the application so it should receive very careful thought - it is your opportunity to sell yourself!

Harsh (Mar 23, 2009 1:21:39 PM)
Peter:  I have completed my MBA in Finance in 2006. I have been working for the last 3 years and was thinking of obtaining a MI. What are your thoughts on the matter?

VladGudovLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:21:43 PM)
Linda, to follow up on David and Claire's answers, let me also share my perspective: Career Services have done an amazing job in the last few months, bringing new companies to campus, or leveraging the good relationships the school has had with its corporate partners, to have them post jobs across departments and industries.

GauravKoolwalLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:21:54 PM)
Sian, I would say it's a mix, both how you can relate to the current situation and how an MIF will help you.

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:21:56 PM)
Prabal: We do look for well rounded people who can find the right work/life balance but are also able to showcase their work achievements such as leading a team, working overseas or progressing rapidly in their career of choice. You will be able to explain your situation in detail in the application.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:22:21 PM)
Newyorker: In some ways, a drop-in can be more informative as they are smaller (usually 8-20 attendees) and allow you more chance to ask all your questions. The information sessions usually have 70-80 people there so the Q&A is less personal. You do however get a much more thorough overview of the program and these often include a faculty taster lecture, as well as an alumni panel. Generally I would say that if you have already researched the school in depth and know what questions you want to ask, a drop-in could be easily as useful as an information session.

Bobby (Mar 23, 2009 1:22:26 PM)
Hi Lisa, what do engineers usually bring to the table that you value especially in the application pool?

David (Mar 23, 2009 1:22:28 PM)
Hi Zoe, applications for Stage 1 were considerable higher compared to last year. Is this the case for Stage 2 as well?

DavidMorrisLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:22:46 PM)
KI_ind - companies are interested in your background and the skills that you can offer to the company and the role. Companies will see London Business School on your application which will help you stand out. We also have many alumni from both programs within the finance industry who are great ambassadors for the school and act as contacts for students.

fraa (Mar 23, 2009 1:22:57 PM)
Asli and Gaurav: Why did you choose this program and not a more quantitative one?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:23:04 PM)
Harsh - you can submit your CV for evaluation via our website. We are not going to give feedback on individual fit for the MiF or MBA today.

GauravKoolwalLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:23:45 PM)
Fraa, I chose this MIF program because I am not a quant major, nor looking for a career in that.

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:23:59 PM)
Linda, obviously the Finance market has been hit the hardest in the recession, however there are finance companies still hiring in various areas over finance. We are also seeing finance in industry roles so it really depends where the MiF students would like to go. The market is very competitive, but we offer a very comprehensive skills development program to ensure that all our students are well prepared and offer a competitive advantage when it is time to meet recruiters.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:24:03 PM)
David, we have noticed an increase in applications across the board, but this should not in any way affect your decision to apply. Good candidates will always get short-listed for an interview. It is also worth noting that we are taking in a slightly bigger class this year (we are adding a 5th stream of another 75 students).

Tomitch10 (Mar 23, 2009 1:24:07 PM)
Zoe & Peter: Would the Adcom reject a candidate (or put him on the waitlist) because his post MBA goal is to work in an industry in which it is potentially difficult to find a job at the moment (let's take Private Equity for instance)?

AsliBussLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:24:34 PM)
Fraa- An MS in finance is very quantitative, much more than  an MBA. It is much more technical and in fact, starting this year you can even do a concentration in quantitative finance.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:25:21 PM)
Tomitch: We would only make an offer if someone's career goals are realistic. Often we will make an offer but warn the candidate to rethink their current career goals.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:25:50 PM)
Tomitch10: We do not penalize candidates for wanting to work in an industry that has been affected by the downturn, as long as their goals are realistic, based on their experience to date. If you are looking to switch into PE, for example, we would want to see evidence of transferable skills/experience and clear goals. Evidence of a Plan B is also a good idea.

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:26:00 PM)
Bobby: It depends on the kind of work they actually do. Most engineers will have high quantitative skills, some will have been leading their own teams and some will have helped to develop new technology products.

crescentmoon256 (Mar 23, 2009 1:26:13 PM)
Lisa, what are the advantages and disadvantages of going to an international program vs. a domestic one?

crescentmoon256 (Mar 23, 2009 1:26:20 PM)
Zoe: How much weight do you put on our undergraduate GPA?

Billz (Mar 23, 2009 1:26:56 PM)
Peter: For the MiF Program, does it add weight to the application if CFA Level-1 has already been achieved Plus a GMAT score above 600?

Linda Abraham (Mar 23, 2009 1:27:12 PM)
Students: What do you like best at London Business School? What would you like to see improved?

David (Mar 23, 2009 1:27:29 PM)
Claire and David, what is the status for internships?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:27:46 PM)
Billz, Yes. CFA adds weight to a MiF application as does a GMAT greater than 650.

kl_ind (Mar 23, 2009 1:28:00 PM)
Peter: How different is the MiF from an MBA? What would recruiters typically look at while looking at a MiF? How important would pre-MiF work experience be?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:28:11 PM)
Crescentmoon256: It is an aspect of your application that we look at to assess your academic caliber, but this is in combination with your GMAT and any other educational achievements. If you were unhappy with your GPA, there is an opportunity on the application form to tell us why and explain what else you may have done in your academic or professional life to compensate for this.

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:28:14 PM)
Prabal: While our range of work experience goes from 2 to 13 years, most of our students will have worked from 4 to 7 years. As Zoe mentioned, it is crucial that you feel comfortable sharing the best of your experiences in the classroom.

Bobby (Mar 23, 2009 1:28:17 PM)
Hi Zoe & Lisa. When reviewing the application, how do you gauge whether a person has sufficient work experience before entering the program? What factors do you look for?

Sultan (Mar 23, 2009 1:28:49 PM)
Zoe: Hi, I have 9 years of work experience and I am 32. I plan to do MBA from any of top 5 schools. Would my age or experience be considered a negative point as the average age is below 30?

aki23 (Mar 23, 2009 1:28:59 PM)
Lisa: I have four years of work experience and currently working as IT consultant for  an IT company. Is it advisable to do an MBA this year or defer to next year due to present market scenario?

DavidMorrisLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:29:19 PM)
David, we are seeing a large number of companies looking to recruit summer interns this year from across all sectors. We are still in the process of collecting the data on the offers as the time-lines for many companies have been pushed back.

Hakeem (Mar 23, 2009 1:29:26 PM)
Claire: Will I be at any disadvantage in securing a finance job after this program given that I have limited experience in my area of focus-Asset/portfolio management?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:29:29 PM)
Kl_ind; MiF is a 10 month program if studied full time so it tends to be more intensive than the MBA. One of my colleagues will answer the second part of your question.

AsliBussLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:29:50 PM)
Linda: I like the great quality of academics. Also having very smart and successful fellow students- it is a fantastic opportunity to both learn from the school and from fellow students with really diverse backgrounds.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:29:56 PM)
Bobby: We look for evidence that a person has been challenged, usually through having taken responsibility within their job - whether that's people, projects or budgets. Evidence of progression or promotion within a company or sector is also impressive.

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:30:04 PM)
Hakeem, are you looking at doing an MBA of MiF?

fraa (Mar 23, 2009 1:30:07 PM)
Asli and Gaurav: What was your job before you began your Ms in Finance and what do you expect to do after the program?

VladGudovLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:30:19 PM)
Linda: I think the best part of the LBS experience is being part of this amazing community, with all facets of it: Taking part in the classes, the numerous club activities and the networking events, etc. As for things I would like to see improved, I can tell you from personal experience (I am also my stream's academic representative) that the Program Office is very receptive to any kind of feedback that comes from students. Whether it is related to a professor, or to the way a class is designed, or regarding the way the program is organized, the faculty and the Program Office are constantly asking for feedback and looking for ways to improve.

David (Mar 23, 2009 1:30:27 PM)
Hi Vlad & Daniela! I've heard a lot about the shadowing project! Are you guys done with yours? How was the experience?

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:30:43 PM)
Linda, as mentioned already, I think it really is the people that make the difference: Classmates, professors, program office and career services, etc, and not to forget all the contact you can make during networking events or via the alumni base. Also, I appreciate a lot that you can "customize" the program to your needs, given the huge amount of electives to choose from and the option of fast-tracking. As for improvements, I think some of the administrative processes could potentially run a bit smoother.

Sian (Mar 23, 2009 1:30:51 PM)
Peter: What is the ratio of  UK applicants (incl. foreigners working or living in UK at the time of application) to applicants applying from abroad?

Jorge (Mar 23, 2009 1:31:36 PM)
Lisa, I would also like to know if there is a chance to get an internship if you are doing a full time MiF?

VladGudovLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:31:38 PM)
Hi David, the shadowing project will come in my third term of the first year, so I am now at the stage where I am looking forward to it, trying to secure the commitment of the CEO I am targeting to shadow, and doing my homework for what I anticipate will be an amazing week.

GauravKoolwalLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:31:44 PM)
Fraa: I was working as a fundamental research analyst for a high yield bond prop desk based and wish to continue as a buy side analyst after the course.

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:31:48 PM)
Hakeem, as part of the MBA program, you do a summer internship. This is an ideal place to get that experience if you haven't already got it and also gain contacts within the area.

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:31:52 PM)
Jennifer: It all depends on what you are looking for during your two MBA years. We certainly offer a very global outlook, with 60 different nationalities in our class and only 9% of UK students. If you are looking for diversity and an international career, then I strongly suggest that you apply to an international MBA.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:32:10 PM)
Sian: About 90% of successful applicants will be based outside the UK for the full time MiF. Many people who are based in or near London will opt for the weekend format.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:32:11 PM)
Sultan: We do not discriminate based on age, so you would not be at a disadvantage at the stage of applying to b-school. It may be worth doing some research on the companies you are interested in working for post-graduation though, as some industries show particular trends in terms of their hiring strategy. You also need to think of how you may feel in a class with peers who have less experience - would you find working in a study group frustrating? Do you still have plenty to gain/learn from our MBA?

kl_ind (Mar 23, 2009 1:32:11 PM)
Asli and Gaurav: I am actually awaiting my MiF final results, but have become really jittery of late because of the finance scenario, with lots of people telling me that it wouldn't be too wise to do a pure finance-focused course right now. I would like to know the view of current MiF students. I have a lucrative job here right now, so it's going to be a huge opportunity cost.

Sian (Mar 23, 2009 1:32:16 PM)
Peter: What are the three major strengths of the MIF program compared to other similar programs?

AsliBussLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:32:22 PM)
Fraa- I worked in finance in the industry. I expect my future position to be a finance role with bigger responsibility.

Gerald (Mar 23, 2009 1:32:28 PM)
Lisa: Approximately how many places are open in the MBA program starting in Fall 2009 for Stage 4 applicants?

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:32:38 PM)
David, I am currently preparing my shadowing project, that is, I have identified the person I would like to shadow and he agreed on having me shadow him during 5 days. I think it's a great opportunity to see what a particular manager is doing every day, how his management style is, and last but not least, providing you with insight into an industry/business sector.

kl_ind (Mar 23, 2009 1:33:08 PM)
David: how important is the pre-MiF/ MBA work experience when it comes to recruitment? How easy/ difficult would it be, to shift careers in finance from, say, corporate banking (credit) to M&A / PE?

GauravKoolwalLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:33:15 PM)
KL_ind: Actually it might be a good idea to join MIF now, as the finance industry is down in the dumps and the only way is up.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:33:16 PM)
Sian: I think the greatest strengths are the quality of faculty, the quality of fellow students and the School itself (location and reputation).

David (Mar 23, 2009 1:33:34 PM)
Zoe, What role does the interview play in the application process? Is it to verify the personality of the individual and see his/her soft skills?

VladGudovLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:33:58 PM)
Jennifer, to follow up on Lisa's answer: the diversity of the people in the class (in terms of backgrounds, nationalities, career interests, levels of professional experience, etc.) makes the class discussions so rich and interesting. I strongly encourage you to come visit us on campus, and sit on one of our classes, to see this for yourself. Over here, we learn as much from professors as we learn from other students (in classrooms, or in study group discussions), therefore the diversity element, which makes LBS so unique, really makes the experience worth every second!

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:34:02 PM)
Aki: The decision is entirely your own. I would advise to apply for an MBA because you are passionate about the career goal it will help you achieve. Do your research and only apply when you feel ready and confident that your application is competitive.

AsliBussLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:34:34 PM)
Kl_ind: It very much depends on what you want to do in the medium- to long-term, but it is especially in tough times like this you need to invest in your education and make sure you differentiate yourself.

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:35:08 PM)
Gerald: We keep places open at each stage of applications but Stage 4 is indeed very competitive.

Gerald (Mar 23, 2009 1:35:17 PM)
Lisa: How are applicants who have been laid off viewed? Also, is there a "soft" cap on the number of former investment bankers in the entering class for the sake of diversity?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:35:31 PM)
Jorge: As the MiF is a 10 month program starting in August, an internship is not part of the offering.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:35:45 PM)
David: Assessing your soft skills is definitely part of the interview. Our alumni conduct interviews for us all over the world, so they are really well placed to assess a candidate's fit with the MBA and the school. They are sent your application prior to the interview as well, so they will be asking you pretty in-depth questions about your goals and achievements. It is also an opportunity for you to ask any questions that you may have to someone who has actually been through the program.

SV (Mar 23, 2009 1:36:02 PM)
Zoe: How do the acceptance rates vary by round?

GauravKoolwalLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:36:06 PM)
KL_ind: To add to Asli's comments, MIF is probably the most well -recognized and respected course in finance in the world and would be a good long term investment.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:36:07 PM)
Stefan: You would not have time for part time work during the full-time MiF.

DavidMorrisLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:36:13 PM)
KI_ind - for an industry such as PE it is very important to build networks to get into the industry. For students who do not have prior experience, the school has a very strong PE Club who organizes many speaker/networking events allowing students to build their skills and networks. The MBA also has an internship between the first and second year which is a good opportunity to leverage the networks to work for a PE firm.

dolph (Mar 23, 2009 1:36:50 PM)
David: For the MIF program, what has the on-off campus employer-recruiting experience been like?

fraa (Mar 23, 2009 1:37:26 PM)
Zoe: is there a limit in TOEFL score?

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:37:34 PM)
Gerald: Diversity is indeed important to us, but so is the quality of the candidates we select, regardless of their backgrounds. Applicants who have been laid off are not viewed in any negative light but, like all applicants, will have to demonstrate that they have a real career aspiration that only the MBA can help them fulfill.

Mersiha (Mar 23, 2009 1:37:36 PM)
Peter & Asli: Can you tell me what should be included in the personal statement for the application (MiF)?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:37:43 PM)
SV: that's pretty much an impossible question to answer, as it changes year-on-year. Generally speaking, we get the most applications in stage 2 so proportionally, more offers are made in that round. This does not however mean that this is the 'best' round to apply in, as we also offer places in Stages 3 and 4. I would advise just applying when you are ready to do so, and you are as happy as possible with your essays!

newyorker (Mar 23, 2009 1:38:00 PM)
Claire: What % of students with US citizenship stay in UK for work? Is it hard to get visa?

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:38:13 PM)
David, building on Zoe's answer: The interview is actually an excellent opportunity for both sides to learn about the other. Expect your interviewer to be very well prepared. Therefore, don't underestimate the importance of the essays required for your application: LBS puts a lot of emphasis on understanding why you'd like to join LBS, and what you are willing to contribute to the school and its community.

GauravKoolwalLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:38:20 PM)
Dolph: it has not been particularly bright this year till now, with roughly 25% of the class placed, but these are the toughest times ever in the history of this course and there is still ample time left for graduation.

crescentmoon256 (Mar 23, 2009 1:38:20 PM)
Lisa: can I get more information about recommendation letters?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:38:26 PM)
Mersiha - There are a number of set questions for the MiF personal statement, mostly establishing your commitment and motivation.

Sian (Mar 23, 2009 1:38:28 PM)
Peter: What are the qualities that are more highly emphasized in a MIF vs. MBA application?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:38:30 PM)
Fraa: We usually look for TOEFL scores of 110 and above.

kl_ind (Mar 23, 2009 1:38:56 PM)
Claire: For non-UK students, how difficult would it be to be able to work in London after the course, given issues like work permit & stuff?

dolph (Mar 23, 2009 1:39:08 PM)
David: For the MIF students, what has the on/off campus employer recruitment been like?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:39:18 PM)
Sian: The MiF and MBA application forms are very similar.

alex_t (Mar 23, 2009 1:39:18 PM)
Are there some MBA students from Russia/Ukraine here?

Bobby (Mar 23, 2009 1:39:31 PM)
Zoe: Earlier it was mentioned that goals should be realistic. Could you elaborate more on the term "realistic" for a complete career switcher or give a tangible example?

VladGudovLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:39:44 PM)
Hi Alex, there are none in the chat, however, there are many in the class.

Hakeem (Mar 23, 2009 1:39:47 PM)
Students: What are the modes of study in your MBA/MiF program? Do you use case study method at all?

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:40:15 PM)
Jennifer: we will ask you for two references, preferably from professionals such as your supervisor, a colleague, a client or former supervisor who have seen you evolve in your career for at least a year.

GauravKoolwalLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:40:18 PM)
Kl_ind: You get a right to work for 2 years after the course without the work permit, that's there in the student visa scheme for UK.

DavidMorrisLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:40:18 PM)
Dolph - every Autumn we have our on-campus recruitment for permanent roles which is open to MBA and MiF students; these are traditionally for the Associate/Management programs. MiF students have traditionally looked at securing direct entry roles. For this, the school offers networking with alumni, various student clubs, i.e. PE, Finance, Investment Management, and we have a job board on which over 3000 companies have accounts. We also run dedicated MiF events such as networking evenings with Executive Search firms.

Sultan (Mar 23, 2009 1:40:49 PM)
Lisa: I am in IT and moving up a little showed me that IT managers do not know strategy or management. To be a successful manager, I have to learn it well. I won't have any problem with less experienced group and learning has never been frustrating. And Yes - being a techie, I still have lots to learn in strategy and management. I have been quite scared with my age and experience. I am trying with LBS in mind this year.

AsliBussLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:41:01 PM)
Hakeem: we do on average 3-4 case studies per week. Some classes also have projects required.

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:41:09 PM)
Hi Newyorker, last year we had 8% of our students go to the U.S. to work. Because the U.S. visa is quite restricted, many of these students are originally from the US. The law around getting visa's in other countries obviously differ, however we do have a lawyer that we recommend that specializes in immigration law and can give advice depending on where you would like to work.

David (Mar 23, 2009 1:41:10 PM)
Thanks Daniela!

alex_t (Mar 23, 2009 1:41:14 PM)
Hello Vlad, are you study in London at the Full time program?

VladGudovLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:42:03 PM)
Alex: Yes, I am studying in the MBA Program, full time - I am a first-year student here.

Sian (Mar 23, 2009 1:42:08 PM)
Peter: Would you encourage a third reference, if from a person with status in a brand name company, but not a most recent employer?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:42:31 PM)
Bobby: By realistic, we mean that you should show how you already have skills or experience that are in some way transferable (e.g. project management experience, dealing with clients, specific technical knowledge etc.) and will combine well with the MBA to make you attractive to recruiters. Ideas of how you will achieve them are also good, i.e. what steps you will take during and post-MBA to put yourself in the best position. If it is a particularly competitive industry that you wish to work in, it might also be worth considering a Plan B or an alternative route to achieving your goal.

Linda Abraham (Mar 23, 2009 1:42:42 PM)
David: How did the class of 2010 fare in the internship market?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:42:56 PM)
Sian: Yes, a third reference is welcome if you believe it adds value.

Gerald (Mar 23, 2009 1:42:58 PM)
Zoe: Is there any additional value from getting a reference from a LBS MBA alumnus?

Billz (Mar 23, 2009 1:43:24 PM)
Lisa: Is the minimum 2 years work experience requirement is necessary at the time of application or before commencement of course? What if the application is submitted 10 months before?

Jorge (Mar 23, 2009 1:43:56 PM)
Peter: How much money do people usually spend during the MiF, including tuition fees and what is the average time to recover that investment?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:44:51 PM)
Jorge: The fees are GBP 31,500 for the MiF. I will let the students give you an estimate of the living expenses budget.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:44:57 PM)
Gerald: We take recommendations from students and alumni very seriously, as they are great judges of who would be a valuable addition to our community. We would expect you to have known them for a reasonable period of time however (either personally or professionally) so that they can comment on all aspects of your personality and achievements.

Bobby (Mar 23, 2009 1:45:06 PM)
Zoe: Since the majority of LBS's students are foreigners from countries other than the UK, how much is experience working abroad valued during the application process or is it more or less a requirement? How can one exploit his/her experience working in a country foreign to his/her own?

vivid_007 (Mar 23, 2009 1:45:07 PM)
Peter: I am pursuing a part time Masters course in Financial Engineering in India. Can I get a reference from any of the full time/visiting faculty for the MiF course?

DavidMorrisLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:45:08 PM)
Linda - we are still in the process of collating the data on the MBA2010 class. What I can say is that we are seeing a high number of companies coming to recruit at the school and a number of new companies establishing internship programs. What we are also seeing is that companies are pushing back the timing of their recruitment so that they are 1-2 months later than previous years.

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:45:09 PM)
Billz: Your work experience will be counted up to the start of term, i.e. if you apply in October 2009 with 4 years of work experience to start your classes in September 2010 and keep working full time, your experience will be recorded as 5 years.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:45:18 PM)
Jorge: Most alumni say they recoup their ROI over 3-5 years.

dolph (Mar 23, 2009 1:45:47 PM)
David & Claire: For MIF, what job/role does one strive to achieve upon completing the program? What is the respect level you earn with potential/existing employers with a MIF on your CV/Resume?

crescentmoon256 (Mar 23, 2009 1:45:59 PM)
Students: When you graduate, do you  plan to get an international related job?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:46:12 PM)
Vivid: Yes, a reference from visiting School faculty would add value.

banon fada (Mar 23, 2009 1:46:21 PM)
Peter: Hello, I need to know if there is a possibility of admission into the MiF program without writing any exams and is there any concession on fees from students in the third world countries?

Hakeem (Mar 23, 2009 1:46:33 PM)
Lisa: How do you evaluate qualifications from foreign universities?

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:46:59 PM)
Crescentmoon, personally, yes. But I think the program just offers you an excellent basis for any regional preference you have regarding your later job location.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:47:12 PM)
Banon: GMAT is an entry requirement for the MiF and MBA. The fees are the same for all applicants irrespective of nationality.

Ning (Mar 23, 2009 1:47:19 PM)
Hi Peter, what will be involved in the interview if we have already passed the first stage of the application? I was told the interview is about an hour long.

VladGudovLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:47:20 PM)
Crescentmoon256: Yes, many actually come to London Business School looking for a career that will expose them to international opportunities. The great thing about LBS is that when companies come to recruit students from the programs, they will not come only with jobs for London, but have jobs available in many countries, across continents. To give you a personal example, this summer I am doing two summer internships, the first one with a boutique consultancy in London, the second one with a major FMCG company, at their headquarters in Switzerland.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:47:52 PM)
Ning: The interview would be with one of our alumni and last 1-2 hours.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:48:00 PM)
Bobby: We really value a candidate who has international experience, whether through working abroad or working in multi-cultural teams. It is not a strict requirement that a candidate has this experience, but we would question someone's ability to thrive in our very diverse environment if they had no experience working outside their home country or with people of a different nationality to themselves. There is actually a question on the application form about this, so you have plenty of opportunity to 'sell' any international experience you've had.

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:48:09 PM)
Hakeem: If your transcripts are in a language other than English, we will ask you to send us a certified translation alongside your documents. We are also experienced at recognizing the value of university degrees from around the world.

Hakeem (Mar 23, 2009 1:48:12 PM)
Zoe: Can I self report my transcript in the interim for admission process and an official one to be sent later or on offer of admission?

Ning (Mar 23, 2009 1:49:20 PM)
Peter: So what will be involved in the interview? Will we be required to do a presentation about ourselves or just chat between the interviewers?

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:49:57 PM)
Hakeem: sending us a copy of your transcript is fine at the application stage. As you say, any offer would then be conditional on us receiving the official report from the institution. If you foresee difficulties with getting this to us by July at the latest, you should start organizing getting the official version sent to us as soon as possible.

Bobby (Mar 23, 2009 1:50:05 PM)
Lisa: In the reviewing process, do you set different (leadership) expectations for people with different years of work experience? For example, would you expect someone with 5 years of work experience to be in a managerial position where such expectation would not be imposed on someone with only 3 years of work experience? Is there a definite line (in terms of years) drawn where one should be in a managerial position?

Stoycho (Mar 23, 2009 1:50:17 PM)
Zoe: I have seen scholarship opportunities based on country/region on the web site.  What is application process for those - criteria, time line?

Mersiha (Mar 23, 2009 1:50:58 PM)
Peter: Where can I find the set questions for the personal statement online?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:51:15 PM)
Ning: The interviewer will ask you questions about your background and goals. There is no presentation, although we plan to institute this from November 2009 onwards.

kl_ind (Mar 23, 2009 1:51:23 PM)
Peter: when you said recouping ROI, does it mean being able to pay off the education loans taken?

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:51:29 PM)
Dolph, graduates with a MiF degree can range from wanting to go into Investment Banking to a finance role in Industry. It really depends on the individual. Last year for example we had approx 21% of our graduates go into IB, 16% go into Asset Management, 13% go into Consulting, 12% into Corp Banking and Industry. You might like to look at the Employment report from last year. Recruiters who are looking for a finance specialist really value our MiF program because typically they have already had finance experience and this degree gives you deeper analytical and technical skills that you can use and apply in the organization.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:51:46 PM)
Merisha: The personal statement questions are in the application form.

banon fada (Mar 23, 2009 1:51:54 PM)
Peter: I currently have an offer of admission from the University of Exeter for finance and management, but am not very sure about it as my sights are on the LBS degree. What do you advise?  Also, is it possible to take a GMAT exam now & still apply by this year's admission deadlines?

Linda Abraham (Mar 23, 2009 1:52:14 PM)
Students: You’re all active in a number of different extra-curricular activities. How do you find the time, and could you tell us a little about them?

Hakeem (Mar 23, 2009 1:53:24 PM)
Claire: What is an estimate of job offers (intern or post-program) that are located in sub-Saharan Africa?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:53:27 PM)
Banon: for the full time MiF you can sit GMAT up to 5 May. It would not be appropriate for me to compare the MiF with a course offered by another university - you should do your own research to establish this.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:53:46 PM)
Stoycho: Our scholarships have different application procedures but they generally fall into two camps. The annual fund awards, some of which are nationality or gender dependent, are given out by the Scholarship Committee at the time of the AdCom making an offer on the program. Our other scholarships have application deadlines in May, which is why candidates should apply for the MBA in Stages 1-3 if they want to be considered for these. Once candidates are given an offer on the program, we send them all the information they need on how and when to apply for the various scholarships that are still available.

Bobby (Mar 23, 2009 1:53:51 PM)
Hi Zoe. In the application essays, should the applicant answer the essay questions directly without too much opening (considering the word limitations)? Or is it important to give an introduction in each response?

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:54:09 PM)
Bobby: Not really, as career paths can be very different depending on the industry (field, size of company, location...) you are in. I would say that regardless of the number of years you have been working, what matters is demonstrating either solid experience in leadership or a potential for it (i.e., if you have not been leading teams at work, tell us about extra-curricular activities when you have stepped up).

Jorge (Mar 23, 2009 1:54:18 PM)
Lisa: In case I am called for an interview, do I have to go to the UK or can I have it somewhere else?

VladGudovLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:54:37 PM)
Linda: Yes, I am actually involved in several activities in school that are "extracurricular": I am an active member of the Consulting and Industry clubs, and I am on the Executive Committee of the Volunteering Team.

Sian (Mar 23, 2009 1:54:38 PM)
Peter: Please provide specific and curious examples for the interests and qualities that most MIF students shares.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:55:20 PM)
Bobby: You do not need to reiterate the question in your answer and should just go straight into the information you want to present to us - how you structure the answer to best frame the facts is obviously entirely up to you and there is no 'right' way of doing this.

Bobby (Mar 23, 2009 1:55:31 PM)
Zoe: Can someone please comment on LBS's emphasis on social entrepreneurship or social innovations and the like?

Phani (Mar 23, 2009 1:55:34 PM)
Gaurav, what is the typical day in MiF like, and do you need to work/study on weekends given it is an intensive program of 10 months?

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:55:35 PM)
Sian: All MiF students will have a passion for finance but after that they will be as diverse in interest, hobbies etc. as the MBAs.

vivid_007 (Mar 23, 2009 1:55:43 PM)
Peter: For MiF, do extra curricular activities weigh equally as academics/work experience?

GauravKoolwalLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:55:57 PM)
Phani: The program is very intensive, you need to put in a lot of hard work after the class, most of the times you have to study on weekends, but you have a lot of social events in between which greatly help to relieve the stress.

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:55:59 PM)
Hakeem, last year we had 2% of internships completed and 4% of permanent roles in Africa/Middle East. We also have very active clubs for the Middle East and Africa if you're interested in working in either of those regions.

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:56:19 PM)
Bobby: We offer a core course in Discovering Entrepreneurial Opportunities which can be tailored towards social innovation through the projects that you choose to do (one of which is a trade show where you showcase a product of your devising to a group of 'angel' investors). We also offer a full range of elective courses in entrepreneurship, which you will do towards the end of your first year and in your second year, and again you can tailor these courses to cover social innovation. The Entrepreneurship Summer School, which you can choose to do between the first and second year is another practical opportunity to explore your business plan. The student clubs are also key factors in meeting your interests, as we have both a very active Entrepreneurship Club on campus as well as a Responsible Business Club. Both of these are key factors in organizing networking events where you can meet like minded students and relevant professionals.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:56:29 PM)
Vivid: We do consider your extra-curricular activities but they are not as important as your work experience and academic background.

fraa (Mar 23, 2009 1:57:04 PM)
Peter: For MiF,  is it ok to have a reference from a former professor?

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:57:13 PM)
Jorge: All interviews are conducted by trained alumni at your current location of residence (or closest location). If you are living in New York, you will be interviewed there. If you live in Lima, but are in Hong King on a project during the interview dates, you will be interviewed in Hong Kong. There is no advantage to be interviewed in London - it is simply reserved for applicants currently working there.

Hakeem (Mar 23, 2009 1:57:21 PM)
Lisa: In a given country, do you have preference for certain schools and how do you come to such judgments?

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:57:30 PM)
Linda: Time-wise, it's all about organizing your time between the studying and the other activities on campus. I'm a member of the Women in Business Club, we just held our annual conference on March 6th where we welcomed over 150 guests for a day of discussions, panels, speeches and networking. We managed to get high-profile panelists and speakers, female leaders from different companies, who shared their experiences with the audience. Of course, it is a lot of work and time-consuming to prepare such an event, but we were a group of students and divided the tasks among us (for example, I was doing PR and external communications). All in all, it is a definitely rewarding experience. So I'm looking forward to the Art Investment Conference that we are organizing for late May.

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:57:31 PM)
Fraa - yes, one MiF reference can come from a professor.

dolph (Mar 23, 2009 1:57:54 PM)
Claire: in your experience and opinion, what offers more employer credibility and weight, the MIF or the CFA? They seem to be tangled together.

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:58:58 PM)
Dolph, different employers require different skills and qualifications. Many of our students and graduates already have a CFA. and if you're looking at going into a more senior level, the MiF will ensure you stand out and have a competitive advantage.

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:59:00 PM)
Hakeem: we do look closely at international and national rankings for all undergraduate schools, to see if they are competitive and if their alumni perform well.

Linda Abraham (Mar 23, 2009 1:58:53 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Peter, Zoe, Lisa, David, Claire, Daniela, Vlad, Gaurav and Asli for giving of their time and joining us today. We look forward to seeing you at future chats, and here is a list of the upcoming scheduled chats:

Cornell Waitlist March 25, 2009

Ross Waitlist March 30, 2009

MIT Waitlist April 7, 2009

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details. Good luck with your applications!

ClaireHewitsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:59:35 PM)
Thanks everyone, good luck!

Bobby (Mar 23, 2009 1:59:42 PM)
thank you, all

Sian (Mar 23, 2009 1:59:46 PM)
Thank you Linda!

Linda Abraham (Mar 23, 2009 1:59:55 PM)
You're welcome. Lots of good questions.

DavidMorrisLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 1:59:57 PM)
Thank you all

crescentmoon256 (Mar 23, 2009 1:59:59 PM)
Thanks for taking the time to talk to us!

vivid_007 (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:03 PM)
Thank you all

ZoëMcLoughlinLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:04 PM)
Good luck with your b-school applications everyone!

David (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:12 PM)
Thanks for all the info guys!

kl_ind (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:15 PM)

VladGudovLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:17 PM)
For all of you interested in asking more questions regarding the MBA program and the experience students have, please contact one of the student ambassadors.

Phani (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:17 PM)
Thank you all

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:19 PM)
Thank you all - best of luck with your applications!

Sian (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:20 PM)
Thank you Peter!

VladGudovLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:24 PM)
Thank you, Linda! Bye everybody!

PeterJohnsonLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:27 PM)
We wish you success with your applications!

fraa (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:27 PM)

DanielaGruebelLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:38 PM)
Thank you. Good luck to everyone in the application process!

Bobby (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:42 PM)
Thank you, Zoe!

Jorge (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:45 PM)

David (Mar 23, 2009 2:00:56 PM)
Peter, one last question, how long after the interview should one expect to hear the final decision?

LisaMortiniLONDON (Mar 23, 2009 2:01:31 PM)
David: All decisions date are on our website.

Hakeem (Mar 23, 2009 2:01:37 PM)
Thanks for this heads-up.

dolph (Mar 23, 2009 2:01:59 PM)
Thank you.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room