2010 Northwestern Kellogg MBA Admissions Q&A Chat with Beth Flye

2010 Northwestern Kellogg MBA Admissions Q&A Chat with Beth Flye

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 11:57:31 AM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com’s Kellogg Admissions Chat and congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management. It is critical to your decision making process and your admission chances that you know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask experts about this top business school.

I also want to welcome our special guests today:

Beth Flye - Assistant Dean & Director of MBA Admissions and Financial Aid

Yhana Chavis- Associate Director of MBA Admissions

Also joining us are 2 second-year MBA students:

Jonathon Wong - Jonathon is a second-year (international) student at the Kellogg School of Management with intended majors in Analytical Finance and Accounting. Prior to Kellogg, Jonathon worked in Deloitte Consulting’s Strategy and Operations practice (in New Zealand and the U.S.) with a focus on corporate strategy and M&A. Jonathon’s long-term goals are in venture and entrepreneurship, and he spent his summer in the Bay Area assisting a venture backed start-up in the medical device sector with their finance and emerging markets strategy. At Kellogg, Jonathon is actively involved with the Investment Management Club, the Kellogg Asset Management Practicum, the Emerging Markets Club, the Neighborhood Business Initiative, the Consulting club, and the Investment Banking and Capital Markets club.

Jennifer Rowland - Jenny is a second-year student at the Kellogg School of Management with intended majors in Social Enterprise, Management & Organizations, Marketing, and Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Prior to Kellogg, Jenny spent six years working in the financial services sector in institutional sales, marketing and corporate strategy. Jenny came back to school to pursue her interest in social entrepreneurship and purpose driven business. Over the summer, Jenny interned at an early stage business incubator/venture capital firm. At Kellogg, Jenny has been involved in the Social Impact Club, IdeaCorps, a strategic consulting project for a New Orleans based social entrepreneur, and the Women’s Business Association.

Thanks to everyone for joining.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:00:38 PM)
Hello Linda and thanks for having us here today.

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:00:42 PM)
You're welcome.

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:00:43 PM)
Beth: What’s new at Kellogg?

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:01:03 PM)
Yhana, what are the main differences between the 1 & 2 Yr MBA Programs, other than the length?

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:01:13 PM)
Jono and Jenny, have the events in the financial markets and the recession affected your coursework? How have they entered your classroom?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:01:51 PM)
Linda, the update from admissions is that we are well underway with evaluating Round 1 applications. In fact, I just began reading applications as of Monday. We have another robust pool in terms of volume and the quality and composition mix look great.

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:02:00 PM)
Linda, there are several key differences between the 1 & 2 year programs. The 1 year program begins in June and ends the following June. Students in the 1 year program will complete an accelerated core curriculum in the summer, followed by 3 quarters of electives. 1 year students are exempt from the 2 year program because they have already completed the prerequisites typically during an undergraduate business program. However, 1 year students do NOT have the opportunity to complete a summer internship and as a result, we target MBA prospective students who wish to continue working in the same industry post-MBA. 2 year students are generally career switchers and must complete 9 core classes. For additional information on the comparison between the 2 programs, please visit our website

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:02:48 PM)
Jenny: I would like to know about prospects for entrepreneurs at Kellogg. I am an entrepreneur and want to do an MBA.

JonoWongKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:02:53 PM)
Hi everyone, from my classroom experience, the Kellogg professors have been very responsive to the financial markets. In particular, we've had numerous special lectures from the finance faculty focusing on the details of the recession, how to interpret actions from different groups within the economy, and how these actions might impact firms in various markets.

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:03:19 PM)
Beth, how did Round 1 volume this year compare to last year?

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:03:25 PM)
GoMBA-Kellogg has a great entrepreneurship & innovation program that continues to get more and more robust every year (from my understanding!). The "core" entrepreneurship class allows students to create real business plans and go to market strategies -- many of these business ideas have gone on to win case competitions and to be tried out in the real world. The entrepreneurship program is also currently offering a two day boot camp/crash course for students interested in the basics in business plan writing, funding, pitching, and tec.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:04:08 PM)
Linda, the volume is steady state compared with the Round 1 pool last year. Yhana: From my research it appears that around 30% of the class is women. Is that representative of the applicant pool?

Patty (Nov 5, 2009 12:04:20 PM)
Beth: I know that Kellogg has announced that it will start to release decisions as they get made. Does that apply to all 3 outcomes (admit/waitlist/deny)?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:05:30 PM)
Hi Patty, and thanks for your question. We will release a batch of admit decisions first and then we will continue with all 3 decisions through out the deadline period.

ak (Nov 5, 2009 12:05:36 PM)
Beth: If you submit your application by the due date, but plan to retake your GMAT before the decision date, is this ok, and can you just mention this in your additional essay?

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:05:47 PM)
Jenny - Do you have a host of electives directed at entrepreneurship and the difficulties they face?

Patty (Nov 5, 2009 12:05:56 PM)
Great, thank you, Beth!

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:06:21 PM)
Yhana, what is the current percentage of women admitted to Kellogg? How does this compare to previous years?

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:06:35 PM)
Jono & Jenny, what do you like best at Kellogg? What would you like to see improved?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:06:45 PM)
Hi AK. That should be fine. Feel free to let us know of your test date so we can note that in your application.

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:06:49 PM)
Yes, Beth, it is representative of the applicant pool. Linda, we do a number of outreach programs to attract women to apply to our programs. The percentage of women admitted to Kellogg fluctuates in any given year. At the present moment, 33% of the student body are women.

Helen (Nov 5, 2009 12:06:59 PM)
Beth, I am wondering if it is possible for a sales and marketing professional to make the shift into a financial or investment profession after obtaining a Kellogg MBA.

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:08:01 PM)
Beth, does Kellogg have a loan program for international students without a co-signor?

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:08:02 PM)
Yes, GoMBA, there are a number of electives that fall under the ENTR "major" that help address the difficulties. The "core" class is one of the hardest, most work-intensive classes at school--the professors are not sugar coating the task of entrepreneurship!

Patty (Nov 5, 2009 12:08:15 PM)
Jenny & Jono, I'm curious to know how your experience at Kellogg thus far has changed your understanding of leadership. In what tangible ways have you noticed yourself changing and handling situations?

JonoWongKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:08:36 PM)
Linda, I think the best thing I like about Kellogg is the experiential learning programs. For example, we have Buyout Lab (for PE), Venture Lab (for VC), Asset Management Practicum, and Global Lab (for consulting). There's been an increased focus on these types of learning methods and I can see these ramping up even more over the next few years.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:08:38 PM)
Hello Helen. I do think that it is possible, yet it also depends on your previous experience and how you can transfer your skills into a new career.

Jenny (Nov 5, 2009 12:08:56 PM)
Beth - I submitted Part 1 because I was originally planning to apply Round 1, but I have decided to apply to Round 2 instead. Do I need to notify the admissions office that I pushed back my application? Thanks.

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:08:59 PM)
Thanks Jenny!

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:09:47 PM)
Linda, what do I like best? I really love the well roundedness of the student body here--it's a diverse student body, but not just in the traditional sense of "diversity". There are people with all sorts of interesting backgrounds and experiences and it creates an extremely dynamic social and academic environment.

Beth (Nov 5, 2009 12:09:56 PM)
Yhana: What (if any) career service resources do you have for those applicants who have less work experience? Are they given any separate, increased assistance compared to other students?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:10:06 PM)
Linda, we have the Northwestern Loan Program available for our international students. Though a co-signor is required, I believe it is a very good option regarding the terms.

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:10:28 PM)
For all: What would you say is the unique selling point of Kellogg?

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:11:01 PM)
Beth, our career management center offers a variety of resources for all Kellogg students. Every student has the opportunity to meet with career counselors and they will work with each student individually based on his or her specific needs.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:11:06 PM)
Hi Jenny. You are not obligated to do so, but you are welcome to send a quick email to us about this, to be part of your application records.

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:11:43 PM)
Jenny/Jono - I do not have a financial background; do you think I need to review some concepts before I start classes (if I get accepted)?

ak (Nov 5, 2009 12:11:52 PM)
Yhana: When it comes to post MBA job interviews, is there a difference between how it is handled for 1 Year and 2 Year students?

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:11:58 PM)
Beth, how do you use the interview in the admissions process?

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:12:22 PM)
Hi Patty! I have really challenged myself to take on leadership roles here at Kellogg; it's a safe place to experiment and see what I'm good at and where I need improvement. In all of my leadership roles, I've sought out feedback from other team members and this has helped me improve.

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:12:40 PM)
AK, there is no difference in how 1Y and 2Y students are handled during the recruiting process. All students have access to the employers that come to campus to recruit our students.

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:13:13 PM)
Yhana or Beth, how is recruiting for 2010 grads coming? Are companies recruiting on campus? Which sectors are active?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:13:28 PM)
Linda, we use the interview as a means to get an "in person" perspective which is helpful to compare to the application/"paper" perspective.

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:13:50 PM)
Hi GoMBA--although I worked in the "financial services" sector prior to Kellogg, I was a liberal arts major undergrad and did not have a strong background in finance (especially in an academic setting). Kellogg provides an online Math/Finance/Stats/Accounting boot camp class in the summer before you start. I thought that was useful, but for the most part, everything you need to learn you can do once you're here. I didn't waive any classes and did just fine in all of the core classes. People come here with a wide variety of backgrounds.

JonoWongKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:14:02 PM)
Hi Patty: Personally, Kellogg has really helped me broaden my own definition of leadership. The "student lead" culture at Kellogg has provided me with a lot of different opportunities to develop in a pretty safe place (for example, leading clubs, leading career treks, and mentoring 1st year project teams).

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:14:03 PM)
Beth: When you evaluate an application, what are the three most important qualities you want to see before you will vote to admit an applicant?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:14:09 PM)
Linda, an interview is a very helpful assessment tool and it also serves as a great marketing tool for both parties as well.

Beth (Nov 5, 2009 12:14:43 PM)
Jenny and Jono: Could you give a brief synopsis of one of your days during classes? What percentage is spent in class vs. library or extra-curricular activities. Thanks!

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:15:19 PM)
Linda, 2nd year students have begun interviewing on campus already. Things are kicking off in full swing.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:15:48 PM)
Great question, Linda! There are a lot of qualities and attributes that come to mind when thinking of candidates who gain admissions, so I will mention a few that come to mind. Qualities such as strong interpersonal and communication skills, maturity, high leadership potential, and humility are a few that come to mind.

Helen (Nov 5, 2009 12:16:00 PM)
Hi Jono, do you think the grades that you get in the classes play an important role in your job-hunting?

ak (Nov 5, 2009 12:16:13 PM)
Jenny & Jono: Regarding living in Evanston, can you comment on your experience? I know it's 30 minutes from Chicago - are there apartments close by that students prefer or are in walking distance etc.?

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:17:10 PM)
Yhana: Is there any advice that you have specifically for international applicants?

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:17:11 PM)
Beth - So does it happen that a great application is denied because the interview doesn't go exceptionally well?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:17:36 PM)
Hi GoMBA. That is good question. It is possible that could be the outcome if there were major concerns as a result of the interview. Again, it really depends on all of the criteria together.

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:17:37 PM)
Thanks Beth.

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:17:38 PM)
Hi Beth! Today is a "typical class" day for me. I have three classes today (1.5 hours each) starting at 8:30 AM and going until 5:00 PM. In the break between my classes, I will be in a study room catching up on some reading and sending out a follow up to an extracurricular meeting I had yesterday. I wondered what I would do with all my "free" time when I was coming back to school and I have found that I fill it all up really easily with school work, extracurricular activities, and meetings.

JonoWongKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:17:39 PM)
Sure thing, Beth. For me, an average day would include 1 or 2, 90 minute classes, followed by 2-3 group meetings, typically 90 minutes each. These group meetings can be for classes (all of our classes have a group component), for the clubs I am involved with, or recruiting support (either giving advice to or receiving advice from my classmates on different job opportunities).

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:18:06 PM)
Linda, we love the geographical diversity. International applicants are evaluated similarly to domestic students since our evaluation criteria remain the same for ALL Kellogg applicants.

AS (Nov 5, 2009 12:18:45 PM)
Jenny and Jono: A question was asked earlier about how the events of the financial market entered the classroom. Are there also opportunities/classes to learn about current events in relation to the government (for those students who are interested in business government careers)?

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:18:48 PM)
Beth/Yhana - Typically what percent of your class takes up a job in the financial sector post-MBA?

JonoWongKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:20:40 PM)
Hi Helen: From my experience, certain industries will place more emphasis on grades (e.g., finance functions, banking), but by in large, the focus is usually based on your performance during the interview. Most firms look to develop a relationship with students throughout the recruiting process (e.g., through networking nights, dinners, coffee chats etc.), so grades are certainly not the only thing they care about.

Helen (Nov 5, 2009 12:20:44 PM)
Hi Beth, since Kellogg is in the same city as Booth School of Business of Chicago University, what are the differences between Kellogg and Booth? If I want to go into a financial and investment career post-MBA, which one is would be more suitable?

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:21:05 PM)
AK, I actually don't live in Evanston, (I live downtown), but most students do live in Evanston and I would recommend it. I lived in Chicago before school and didn't want to sell my place. The commute is ok, but I know I miss out on a lot of the fun & bonding that goes on up here.

Beth (Nov 5, 2009 12:21:22 PM)
How do you think Kellogg differentiates itself from other top MBA programs?

Patty (Nov 5, 2009 12:21:26 PM)
For students who are evaluating against top programs around the country like Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton, what are the key differentiators and selling points of the Kellogg MBA?

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:21:33 PM)
GoMBA, for the class of 2009, 14% of our students took positions within the financial sector. However, this percentage varies from year to year.

ak (Nov 5, 2009 12:21:59 PM)
Beth: You mentioned 'humility' as an important criterion, yet the more I read about good essays, it says you really have to stand out and 'sell yourself'. Does the humility part come more in to it during interviews?

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:22:49 PM)
Hi AS! Current events and news of the day are definitely brought in to the classroom, the school and student clubs bring in phenomenal speakers from all sectors, including the government.

JonoWongKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:23:44 PM)
AK: I live in Evanston. About 80-90% of the MBA's live in Evanston. I know people who live in Chicago and have no problems, but personally. I think that living in Evanston and being in the thick of the school can make building relationships with your classmates a little easier (e.g., easier to attend social events, functions, etc.).

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:23:51 PM)
Helen, I can appreciate your question and what is most important is that you continue to do your due diligence about the schools to determine which one is the best match for you. What makes Kellogg unique is our highly collaborative environment coupled with rigorous academics. Additionally, Kellogg is a very "intrapreneurial" environment; students are empowered to co-create their experiences. They learn from top thought leaders in the classroom and then are immediately invited to apply that knowledge in their extracurricular activities.

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:24:55 PM)
AS, I really enjoyed a class I took last year called "Strategic Management in Non-Market Environments" which challenged us all to think of the issues and interactions organizations face that are outside of the traditional business realm- for example- dealing with activists, government, etc.

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:25:28 PM)
I would like to comment on the humility question (I'm from Accepted, not Kellogg). It might be better to think of the issue in terms of a lack of arrogance and a genuine humility. There has to be a sense of pride in what you have done and self-worth in order to have the confidence to take initiatives and lead. At the same time, genuine humility will allow you to seek advice, value others contribution, and realize that you don't know or have it all. It is frequently the difference between saying I'm great or I'm the best as opposed to "I have accomplished X, Y, and Z." The former is arrogant. The latter is genuine (assuming it is true).

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:25:32 PM)
Yhana - In which sector do students predominantly go? Consulting?

Patty (Nov 5, 2009 12:25:40 PM)
Do students have an opportunity to shape future classes/curriculum?

JonoWongKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:26:39 PM)
AS - we've also had a number of high profile speakers come in and speak about specifics of government policy, particularly regarding what's going on in the market right now. For example, we recently had two Nobel Laureates, Paul Krugman and Myron Scholes, come in and speak about the economy with an emphasis on how government policy right now will likely affect the recovery. We also had Robert Mueller ( I believe he is the director of the FBI) speak about that branch of the government as well.

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:27:13 PM)
GoMBA, consulting was a popular career path for the class of 2009. 41% of the class went into Consulting.

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:27:23 PM)
Jono & Jenny, why did you choose Kellogg? Did it meet your expectations?

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:27:35 PM)
Patty, absolutely. A prime example of that is GIM (Global Initiatives in Management)

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:27:38 PM)
Beth - Could you please elaborate on 'major concerns' during the interview.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:28:11 PM)
Hi Patty. First, there is constant dialogue between students, faculty and administration about the curriculum as we always strive to optimize our course offerings. For example, the Global Initiatives in Management (an elective course in which students have 8 weeks of course focusing on a topic in an international region, followed by a field research trip to that region in March) class was developed by students in 1990, and the course has been a pillar course of the Kellogg experience.

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:28:52 PM)
For all - What do you think about the job prospects for the class of 2012? Do you feel the economy will have recovered?

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:28:56 PM)
Linda, I chose Kellogg for a host of reasons, the most important of those being "fit". I know that sounds clichéd, but I can't highlight how important that intuition is in your choice. I think I mentioned it before but what I really love about Kellogg and community here is the well roundedness of the student body. Everybody did not work in finance or huge corporations (although many did) and the diversity of experience adds so much to the classroom and the overall community. I would also add that a major selling point of Kellogg to me was the school's Social Enterprise program; it was really important to me to attend a school that emphasized and included social responsibility in its mission and business curriculum.

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:30:10 PM)
GoMBA, I'm not in a position to speculate about the job market, but what I can tell you is that Kellogg offers students a holistic experience that prepares our students to be competitive in the job search process.

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:31:04 PM)
Yhana - Another question, any data on how many people set up their own ventures post-MBA?

JonoWongKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:31:29 PM)
Linda : I didn't actually decide to come to Kellogg until I attended the admit weekend (Day At Kellogg). For me, it was a combination of different things, but the key selling points when I was choosing was the diversity of my classmates, the heavy emphasis on a student lead culture, the strength of the alumni network, and the experiential (real world based) learning programs Kellogg offered. Another key selling point for me was also how down to earth everyone I met was.

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:32:09 PM)
GoMBA, I don't have exact numbers of how many pursue their own ventures, but I know it happens here. For example, Andrew Youn, '06 came up with a business plan at Kellogg to support African farmers sustain their businesses. This concept was supported by faculty and since graduation he is running his own venture in Kenya.

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:32:56 PM)
Beth and Yhana, it seems like a dramatically larger percentage of applicants are claiming goals in sustainable development and green business this year. Does this sudden upsurge make you a little suspicious or do you feel it is simply a genuine reaction of applicants to growing opportunity in a specific area of business?

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:33:03 PM)
Jono & Jenny, what do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:34:23 PM)
GoMBA, for me, an example of a major concern from an interview would be the impression that the candidate does not have a clear case for why he/she wants an MBA.

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:34:46 PM)
Jonathan, can you give a few examples of the experiential learning opportunities that you have participated in?

Beth (Nov 5, 2009 12:35:01 PM)
In your experience, which types of students are the most successful at Kellogg?

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:35:08 PM)
Yhana -Does Kellogg have any provisions for financially supporting some good ideas which students might want to implement?

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:37:27 PM)
GoMBA, there are no formal resources; however students can seek out unique opportunities with faculty and their networks to gain support on various endeavors.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:37:29 PM)
Hi Beth. I believe that the students who are most successful here are those who continuously give full effort in taking advantage of as many programs and opportunities as possible.

Patty (Nov 5, 2009 12:38:14 PM)
Jenny, why did you feel getting an MBA (and specifically, a Kellogg MBA) would be vital to accomplish your social enterprise goals?

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:38:18 PM)
Thanks Beth. I feel a little relieved now! :)

JonoWongKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:38:31 PM)
Linda : One experiential learning example I am involved with is the Asset Management Practicum, targeted at students who want to learn more about the investment management world. AMP is a class where approximately 16-20 students are selected each year. In addition to taking a set number of advanced finance courses, we basically operate like a long-short hedge fund and manage a small portion of the school's endowment. Currently there are four investment portfolios that we manage with a total value of ~$3 million. It's an amazing program because we actually manage real money and get to trade real securities. You spend two quarters acting as an investment analyst (recommending securities and stocks) and one quarter as a portfolio manager making the actual investment decisions. Other examples (and please excuse my finance bias here): We have buyout lab (where you get to spend one day a week working for a private equity firm) and venture lab (where you do the same for a venture capital firm). These experiential learning courses are designed to compliment your classroom work and give you a chance to apply what you learn in academia to the real world and get real time feedback, which I think is extremely valuable. Finally, I would say these experiential programs give you another avenue for recruiting and gives you exposure to companies you might not have normally seen.

Helen (Nov 5, 2009 12:38:50 PM)
Hi Beth, how strong is Kellogg's alumni network in China?

Helen (Nov 5, 2009 12:38:53 PM)
Jono and Jenny, I am not sure whether you have some classmates that are from China. Do you think they are active enough in the class? Do you have any suggestion for them to improve their performance or contribution during the class?

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:38:56 PM)
Linda, I'll be honest (and this is obviously just based on my personal experience), but it was a pretty big transition going from full time work to full-time school. I'd taken a couple classes along the way before coming back full time and I think that probably helped me know what I was getting in to.

AS (Nov 5, 2009 12:40:15 PM)
Beth: Thank you for answering my questions so far. Could anyone comment on the 3 year JD/MBA program? How would the JD/MBA application process differ from just applying to the MBA program? Do students find time to participate in Kellogg's extra-curricular activities?

harsha_kn (Nov 5, 2009 12:40:33 PM)
Yhana: At my work place, I have had the same supervisor for the last 3 years. While this makes him an ideal candidate to recommend me, his written English is not his strength. Do you think this will weaken my application? Also, will a 3rd recommendation help?

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:41:10 PM)
Jono/Jenny - How much self-study do you need to put in to get decent grades?

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:41:27 PM)
Hi Harsha, I do not think weak English in a recommendation will decrease your chances of being admitted to Kellogg. Many of our applicants face the same situation and we realize this given our appeal to students from across the world. Kellogg requires two recommendations. Typically the two recommendations suffice.

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:42:06 PM)
Patty, since I had a liberal arts background, I really felt like I needed to beef up my analytical skills and I also wanted to explore formal entrepreneurship training (writing a business plan, learning the pitch, exploring funding options, etc) and the MBA offered that value proposition.

samiurtalukder (Nov 5, 2009 12:42:23 PM)
Hello Beth - Regarding the Social Enterprise at Kellogg Program (SEEK), are there specific opportunities for candidates interested in microfinance? Also, social enterprise is very broad - it can encompass many areas and field, but not limited to the following: health care, clean water, housing, base of the pyramid poverty alleviation among others. What is Kellogg looking for in candidates interested in SEEK (i.e. in terms of their past experiences or background)?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:43:04 PM)
AS, I am glad to respond to your question about our JD-MBA Program. The application process is the same. What is most important is telling us (in the essays and interview) your reasons for why you want/need the JD-MBA. Regarding your second questions, our JD-MBA students are fully integrated into the Kellogg community during year 2 when they are here.

Sridhar (Nov 5, 2009 12:43:33 PM)
Hi Jono and Jenny, do you think Kellogg is a good choice for someone who wants to pursue a career outside of Consulting/Banking ? Specifically social entrepreneurship?

Beth (Nov 5, 2009 12:44:25 PM)
Yhana: Where do most graduates end up? New York? Chicago?

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:44:44 PM)
Sridhar--I definitely do! There are lots of on and off-campus opportunities for people pursuing careers outside of consulting and banking.

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:44:55 PM)
Beth, our largest alumni chapters are New York, Chicago and San Francisco (in no particular order). We also have many active chapters abroad Over 50,000 alumni span the globe.

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:45:20 PM)
Jono & Jenny what has been your favorite class? Professor?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:45:33 PM)
Samiurtalukder, there definitely are opportunities for students interested in microfinance. I encourage you to visit our web site where you can learn more about these opportunities. As for what we are looking for in a candidate who wants to pursue the SEEK major, of course we want know the reasons for why that person wants to pursue this area. So it is important for the candidate to articulate his/her case in the essays and interview. It is also helpful to us when we see any experiences in a person's background that link with their SEEK major and desired post-MBA goals.

ak (Nov 5, 2009 12:46:08 PM)
Beth: How closely linked is Kellogg Evanston with the campus in Asia (Hong Kong, right)? Does the Asian campus help with post MBA job opportunities in Asia?

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:46:27 PM)
Yhana - Do you have provisions for scholarships for international students? Do they have a very slim chance of getting one?

JonoWongKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:46:43 PM)
Hi Sridhar: Short answer is yes, absolutely. That was part of the attraction of Kellogg, that not everyone is going into one or two fields. In fact I was actually quite surprised by the amount of diversity in terms of career backgrounds and focus at the school when I arrived. We typically have well over 200 companies that recruit from Kellogg in all different fields. Sridhar, is there are particular area you are interested in?

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:47:15 PM)
GoMBA, we do have endowed scholarships for international students and they are very competitive. There is no additional application for such scholarships as each candidate (who fits the criteria) is evaluated for them.

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:47:24 PM)
Sridhar, I led a really cool strategic consulting project last spring break in New Orleans for a social entrepreneur and I am planning to do another experiential project for a social enterprise this winter/spring. Kellogg has a slew of successful alumni pursuing careers in social enterprise.

Helen (Nov 5, 2009 12:48:08 PM)
Jono and Jenny, what do you feel is the study load in Kellogg? How do you balance the study and social activities in Kellogg?

JonoWongKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:48:35 PM)
Linda: My favorite class...that's a tough one. I'm currently taking international finance with Sergio Rebelo, which is probably one of my favorite classes to date.

Helen (Nov 5, 2009 12:50:10 PM)
Yhana, further to GoMBA's questions, what's the percentage of the scholarship available for international student? 1% or so?

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:50:19 PM)
Linda-one of my favorite classes was actually a core marketing class with Professor Hennessy. I'm also taking a Cross-Cultural Negotiations class right now that is really fun.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:50:58 PM)
AK, we have a joint executive MBA program with the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. We also have partnerships with schools in Europe and the Middle East. Students do utilize the great value in our global alumni network when seeking job opportunities and this base includes graduates of the all of our partner programs.

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:51:00 PM)
Helen, I cannot speculate on the percentage as that fluctuates from year to year depending on the number of international applicants. But to be frank, ALL merit based scholarships are limited to a smaller percentage of our incoming class.

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:51:53 PM)
Is Kellogg participating in the Yellow Program for vets?

Sridhar (Nov 5, 2009 12:52:05 PM)
Thanks Jono and Jenny. My other concern was that from an international student's perspective, do you think it might be harder to get a pure marketing/sales role in the U.S. given the lack of context?

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:52:14 PM)
Helen--I work really hard here (since almost all of the material I learn in class is completely new to a history major like me!) but I still find a balance for my personal life. I've found a balance by really being conscientious about my priorities.

Sridhar (Nov 5, 2009 12:52:31 PM)
Jono, I have had prior experience in a microfinance organization and would like to further explore the field post MBA.

Beth (Nov 5, 2009 12:52:42 PM)
Yhana: What percentage of your students study abroad during their MBA?

YhanaChavisKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:53:16 PM)
Beth, to clarify, I am interpreting 'study abroad' as leaving Kellogg's campus for an entire quarter (3 months). We have 25 exchange programs across the world in which ANY student can participate. However, if students wish NOT to leave Kellogg's campus for an entire quarter, they do have several other opportunities to get international exposure elsewhere in the curriculum, including our experiential learning course- Global Lab as well as Global Initiatives in Management (GIM).

JonoWongKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:53:16 PM)
Helen, the work load and time commitment is definitely no a walk in the park. You will typically find your focus varying from academics, to recruiting, to club work depending on the week/quarter and personal priorities. For me, balancing my work load with clubs and recruiting has been one of the key learning experiences. For example, as a 2nd year club leader, you really have to learn to manage and delegate with your team mates as well as coach your 1st year counter-parts to be successful. For me, that's not only improved my own leadership skills but also enabled me to spread myself more thinly across different groups.

samiurtalukder (Nov 5, 2009 12:53:53 PM)
With the credit crisis and challenges, many international students are exploring opportunities in their home countries or European counterpart B-Schools; perhaps, financing and loans are also an issue. Do you have any pertinent or specific advice for international applicants, and how has Kellogg's pool of international applicant admissions been affected?

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 12:54:31 PM)
For All - After completing an MBA from Kellogg, what are the job prospects in the emerging markets especially India/China?

Sridhar (Nov 5, 2009 12:54:50 PM)
Thanks Jenny, its heartening to hear that the Kellogg has a strong alumni presence in social enterprise as well. Was the consulting project you worked on part of a course curriculum?

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:55:12 PM)
Great question, Linda, and the answer is yes! We are very pleased to have participation in this program. Kellogg will give this award up to 50 eligible students, and all of the details about the program are on our web site.

JonoWongKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:56:43 PM)
Sridhar -- regarding microfinance, we have an emerging markets career trek (to Washington DC) which visits a number of microfinance organizations each year. I actually lead the trek last year and it's a great opportunity for you meet folks in the organizations, listen to their company mission and hear about how to get involved and recruit. The career treks aren't limited to emerging markets; typically there will be at least one career trek for each career path to various locations around the US and internationally (e.g., Entrepreneurship treks, VC treks, Banking Trek, hi-tech trek,  and media trek, the list goes on!).

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:57:01 PM)
Beth, do applicants miss the boat when they apply Round 2 or 3? Is the acceptance rate lower for those two rounds than for Round 1?

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:57:21 PM)
No Sridhar, the project last year in New Orleans was not part of a course curriculum. I found out about the opportunity through our Net Impact chapter. That said, this winter I will be taking G- (global) lab, which will culminate with two weeks of in-country strategy implementation (I'm hoping to be in South Africa or Turkey!). You should check out the Kellogg ISC (impacting social change) conference website (which we just put on a couple weeks ago) to get an idea of the topics and issues that are top of mind here as well as the kinds of speakers and alumni in the field.

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:58:48 PM)
Linda, we encourage applicants to apply for the earliest round possible, but we also encourage people to apply when they are absolutely ready. Historically, most of our applications arrive in the first 2 rounds, and the majority of the class has been filled with admits from those 2 rounds. We strongly encourage our international and 1Y applicants to apply by no later than the 2nd round. Otherwise, a person who has applied in Round 2 has not missed the boat! And, we do make some offers in the 3rd round, but the number is usually quite small.

Linda Abraham (Nov 5, 2009 12:59:01 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Beth, Yhana and Jono & Jenny.  We look forward to seeing you at future chats, and here is a list of the upcoming scheduled chats:

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list.Please check the website for additional details.

Good luck with your applications!

Sridhar (Nov 5, 2009 12:59:37 PM)
Thanks Jono and Jenny!

ak (Nov 5, 2009 12:59:42 PM)
Linda - thanks for moderating, and thanks to all for your responses. I found this very useful! -Ajay

samiurtalukder (Nov 5, 2009 12:59:45 PM)
Thank you all!

JonoWongKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 12:59:45 PM)
You're welcome!

GoMBA (Nov 5, 2009 1:00:04 PM)
Thanks Beth, Yhana, Jono, Jenny

JennyRowlandKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 1:00:32 PM)
Best of luck guys!

Helen (Nov 5, 2009 1:01:00 PM)
Thanks all for the clarification and insights! I do have good impression on Kellogg!

BethFlyeKELLOGG (Nov 5, 2009 1:01:30 PM)
Thanks to all of you for your interest in Kellogg!

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room