2010 Ask Current Consortium MBA Q&A with Rebecca Dockery

2010 Ask Current Consortium MBA Q&A with Rebecca Dockery

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Nov 18, 2009 12:56:21 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome all applicants to the Consortium chat today and learn more about its program from the student/alumni perspective. You need to know as much as you can to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice. Being here today allows you to ask the Consortium experts about this outstanding program and their experiences in business school

I also want to welcome our special guests for this evening:

• Rebecca Dockery  Consortium’s Recruiting Manager 
  • Erin Nicklesburg    Wisconsin's Dir. of Admissions & Recruitment
  • Gina Tucker          Wisconsin         -Class of 2010
  • Oladapo Fakunle  Carnegie Mellon -Class of 2010
  • Daniel Magnia      Dartmouth         -Class of 2010
  • Edward Appiah     Rochester         -Class of 2010
  • Nicole Olesh         Texas               -Class of 2011
  • Katrina McGheeUNC                 -Class of 2010
  • James Freedman-Aponte Virginia -Class of 2010
  • Kevin Martin          Virginia            -Class of 2010
  • Soji Maurice-Diya  Yale                -Class of 2010
  • Leandro Margulis  Yale                -Class of 2010

Thanks to everyone for joining.

Could the Consortium students please tell us a little about themselves? We would like to know:

1. What did you do before b-school?
  2. What are you concentrating in and what extra-curricular activities are you involved in?
  3. What do you want to do/ are doing after your MBA?
peterrsaree (Nov 18, 2009 12:59:25 PM)
I have an initial question. I am currently studying for the GMAT on my own. I previously attended classes for Princeton Review's GRE course. My plan is to take the test in December. Because I did not yet take the GMAT, a business school that I am interested in put me on the waitlist for its diversity weekend. Should I continue my plan to take the GMAT in December, and apply before the January 5th Consortium deadline, or should I wait until next year to apply for the Consortium after I have already taken the GMAT in the previous year? A high GMAT score may give me the advantage I need, and waiting a year would give me time to visit other business schools through diversity weekends. My plan is to apply for the Consortium before January 5th, but if it would be better to wait, then I would wait and possibly take a GMAT review course in the interim. Please advise. By the way, I loved the business school diversity weekends that I attended in New York.

HCA (Nov 18, 2009 1:00:27 PM)
Students: In order to make yourselves more competitive for a fellowship, what are some of the things current students (and alumni) have done, that ties directly to the Consortium's mission?

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:01:46 PM)
Hi everyone. Before Darden, I was an engineer and a consultant. I'm currently focusing my studies on General Management and Entrepreneurship. At Darden, I'm involved in a lot of career clubs, and am the President of the Hispanic American Network at Darden (HAND).

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:02:51 PM)
Peterrsaree: I  did a similar thing; I took the GMAT in December and turned in my application the day before it was due. I got into one of my top schools, but got rejected from many more. Only you know what is best for you. If the application fee is not an issue, I would say throw your ring into the hat this year. For some reason if you do not get the result you want, you can be prepared next time around.

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:03:16 PM)
Hi! Before attending UNC I worked as an actuary in the health-care world. I'm currently focusing on Marketing. Here at Kenan-Flagler I'm involved in the marketing club, the alliance of minority business students and net impact.

KBratton (Nov 18, 2009 1:03:44 PM)
Students: What are some of the factors that you all considered when choosing which schools to apply to?

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:04:25 PM)
HCA- There are a number of things that I think can make you stand out. I think the important thing is that whatever you sign on to do, whether volunteering or otherwise, make sure you do it with passion. My involvement has been more personal for me, i.e. mentoring nieces and nephews etc.

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:04:37 PM)
KBratton, I wanted a school with a well-developed international programs office. I was also looking for a school that had opportunities to learn about sustainability.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:04:49 PM)
HCA: Being from Puerto Rico, I was very involved with my community there, and took that forward into my studies and professional career. I was heavily involved in my consulting firm's affinity and diversity clubs, and explained my involvement in the activities and events.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:06:06 PM)
KBratton: Good question. For me, it came down to the fit. All schools have great aspects associated with them, but you may feel more comfortable in some than in others. Take advantage of the school trips to find that fit, and make sure you ask a lot of questions!

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:06:15 PM)
KBratton, I think across the top schools you are going to find quality students, faculty, and facilities. For me, location was of particular importance. I am originally from California and I wanted to step out of my comfort zone. Hanover is definitely out of my comfort zone and I have really enjoyed my experience.

Tony (Nov 18, 2009 1:06:22 PM)
Rebecca, Could you please provide an idea as to what percentage of Consortium admits receive fellowships at each respective school?

Paul (Nov 18, 2009 1:06:34 PM)
Soji Maurice, how many Consortium students are in your class at Yale? Did you interact with these students once you started the MBA program?

Paul (Nov 18, 2009 1:06:36 PM)
James, I understand that Darden has few Hispanic-Americans. Does this impact your experience there at all?

SojiMaurice-DiyaYALE (Nov 18, 2009 1:07:37 PM)
Hello everyone, before coming to Yale SOM, I worked in consulting for three years and I am now focused on a Strategy concentration. I am very involved with the minority clubs and I also help with career development opportunities for first year students.

MBA (Nov 18, 2009 1:07:45 PM)
Students: Are there any clubs, resources or events at your particular schools for Consortium members? If so, would you be able to share the details with us?

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Nov 18, 2009 1:08:45 PM)
Tony: We do not give out fellowship stats by school. But I can give you total counts across all schools. Last year, we received 980 applications. Of those 980 about 480 were admitted to at least one school, and 330 received fellowship offers.

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:08:47 PM)
MBA, once I was admitted to UNC, I was immediately contacted by members of the Alliance of Minority Business Students and given materials to help me start preparing for the Orientation Program during the summer. It was really helpful!

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:09:03 PM)
Peter - In regards to your question about being waitlisted for a Diversity Weekend and not being sure as to whether you should go ahead and apply this year - the answer is yes. Even though you were unable to attend the school's weekend, you are still able to connect with admissions officers at that school. Set up an individual visit, talk about your plans to retake the GMAT, strengthen your application and reach out to call the admissions director. Above all else you want to determine if the school is a good fit for you, so the most important piece is getting on campus to visit, Diversity weekend or not.

peterrsaree (Nov 18, 2009 1:09:28 PM)
I am an Attorney in New York and New Jersey and have some experience practicing law and in law enforcement. I am focusing on legal opportunities that come along, as well as volunteer positions in law and non-profit management. I already have a JD/MPA & want to use my MBA to branch out into the private sector, since businesses look for the MBA when doing their hiring. By the way, Mucho Gusto James Freedman and Edward Appiah.

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:09:41 PM)
Hello everyone! Before coming to Rochester I was a personal banker which was mostly a sales role. I am focusing on corporate finance which Simon is renowned for teaching.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:09:47 PM)
Paul: I wouldn't necessarily call it a few. With Hispanic Americans and Internationals, we have quite the community. While I don't know the exact number, I can say that the first and second year Consortium classes are very close, and tend to help each other out. The Orientation Program in the early spring really helps develop those bonds.

SojiMaurice-DiyaYALE (Nov 18, 2009 1:10:10 PM)
Paul, because I am a second year student, Yale did not have any official Consortium fellows in the Class of 2010, but we have felt very much part of the family since joining. I believe our Class of 2011 currently has about 25 students and there has been a lot of interaction across years, schools and concentrations. The Orientation Program allows for an informal mentorship and networking that offers lifelong opportunities.

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:10:18 PM)
MBA-I think each school has specific events/clubs/resources that target various affinity groups. Here at Tuck a lot of fellows participate in the diversity conference and take on leadership roles within groups such as the Hispanic American Student Association or the Tuck African Ancestry Business Association.

Paul (Nov 18, 2009 1:10:38 PM)
For Consortium students: I find it difficult applying though the Consortium since I am limited to three essays per school (1- Main Consortium Essay, 2- School specific essay 3- Additional Essay). Since the main Consortium essay must remain broad so that it is tailored for all the schools you apply to, how were you able to convince the school that it was a perfect place for you to earn your MBA?

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:11:28 PM)
Paul- Visit, don't be just another name on an application, show your commitment through other means. For example, I would build up a list of advocates that are going to champion your cause. Find a student club that interests you and reach out to the club chairs. Visit the campus and meet with some of the admissions folks, visit a class.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:12:12 PM)
MBA: Darden has a lot of events. The Hispanic American Network at Darden (HAND) and Black Business Student Forum (BBSF) put on a lot of career events, social events, and networking events throughout the year. In addition, the Consortium Liaisons really help to bridge the gap between the Consortium and the specific Consortium members at the schools. Specifics: BBSF puts on an Annual Conference that brings leaders in, as well as Speaker Series from both events that really take advantage of business leader perspectives.

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:12:29 PM)
Paul, it's important to remember that meeting people at the school is a great way to make yourself known. That said, tell a colorful story that is truly personal. They will remember you and it will really give them a chance to get to know more about you!

willy (Nov 18, 2009 1:12:35 PM)
Rebecca and Erin: I am taking the GMAT next month and currently am unemployed. How will these factors affect my application?

lola (Nov 18, 2009 1:13:09 PM)
Students - did you end up getting into your #1 ranked school? What round did you apply in? If not, did you have fellowships for the other schools on your list?

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:13:46 PM)
Lola, UNC was my first choice, so I did get my #1 school. I applied during the later round.

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:13:51 PM)
Lola- No, but I applied during the 2nd round. I did not receive fellowships for the other schools.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:13:53 PM)
Lola: I did get into my #1 and #2 schools and applied in the first round.

Linda Abraham (Nov 18, 2009 1:14:21 PM)
Related to Paul's question...

KBratton (Nov 18, 2009 1:14:23 PM)
Are there any other ways to gauge fit besides campus visits? Given the recent economy I am sure students cannot attend every school they may wish to apply for. Thanks!

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:15:19 PM)
KBratton, reach out to as many students as you can through email and try to set up calls with them, I think you can get a good feel for the school by the students you speak with.

SojiMaurice-DiyaYALE (Nov 18, 2009 1:15:21 PM)
Lola, to be honest I did not have a clear #1 ranked school, but had two neck-and-neck and Yale was one of them. I did get into the other one and I applied Round 1 for both. I think you should consider having tiers of schools rather than "ranking your preferences." I think it makes the process more fluid and interesting.

Paul (Nov 18, 2009 1:15:22 PM)
Daniel Magnia, I have heard that Dartmouth "highly encourages" students to visit their campus before applying to the school. Did you visit? Are there many students at Darden who were accepted and did not visit the school?

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:15:23 PM)
KBratton, I would recommend thinking about the 3 or 4 things/experiences you most want to get out of business school. Then think about which school will afford you the most opportunities to achieve those goals. But I still highly recommend campus visits!

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:15:33 PM)
Paul: Visit the schools and talk to the admissions folks. I also think that you can leverage the school specific essay to really state why that school is a good place for you. I also think they still have school specific essays.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:15:50 PM)
Willy - In regards to your employment status, as Admissions Directors we understand that there are different economic circumstances that affect everyone. What we want to see if that you are taking your unemployment and doing something with it. Something like volunteering, participating in community activities, continuing your job search, or consulting, etc. It is also a great time to prepare for the GMAT!

peterrsaree (Nov 18, 2009 1:15:54 PM)
The number of fellowships and the number of Hispanic/Latino students at each of these business schools is an important decision factor for me as well. I can lead, but I want to have the support of my peers as well.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:17:25 PM)
Paul: I'll answer your second question to Daniel. I believe that most students visit Darden at one point or another. In my case, I did the Consortium interview with a Ross alumnus, and then got invited to Charlottesville to chat with them. I took advantage of being able to see a live class, and the case method in action and was sold from that point forward.

Linda Abraham (Nov 18, 2009 1:17:26 PM)
For second year students, did the Consortium help you obtain your internship or even your post-MBA job? If so, how?

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:17:45 PM)
Paul- I did visit and for anyone considering Tuck, I would highly encourage you to visit as well. It is one the few top schools with an open interview policy, so take advantage of this -- I did and I felt it gave me a better sense of the community. Of course there are those that did not visit, but the vast majority did visit.

peterrsaree (Nov 18, 2009 1:18:03 PM)
Rebecca: A question about the GMAT and a follow-up to Erin's comment: Do you recommend taking a commercial course prior to sitting the GMAT?

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:18:05 PM)
Peterrsaree- The LASOs group is very active on our campus. Out of my class there were 3 Hispanics out of a Consortium class of 11. However our school had plenty of people from Latin America. I don't have the exact number, but countries include Mexico, Brazil, Columbia, and Peru.

willy (Nov 18, 2009 1:18:08 PM)
Erin, thank you! I have been taking some IT classes and getting ready for the GMAT next month.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:18:35 PM)
Willy - Good luck!

SojiMaurice-DiyaYALE (Nov 18, 2009 1:18:36 PM)
KBratton, I think most schools are receptive to having applicants speak to current students, but your initiative has to be fairly directed. In other words, if you are interested in specific fields of study or interested in certain diversity initiatives, you can reach out to the Admissions office and ask to speak to a student who might give a broader picture of the school, its culture and trajectory.

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:18:47 PM)
Hi Linda, through the Consortium's Orientation Program I was able to get two offers. I ended up taking an offer I found through the National Black MBA Conference, but the Consortium really helped me be prepared for the NBMBAA conference via the Orientation Program.

GinaTuckerWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:18:49 PM)
Linda, through the job fair at the summer orientation program, you are able to meet with many companies for internship and full time opportunities.

Ann L (Nov 18, 2009 1:19:05 PM)
Erin: You mentioned that it is a good idea to set up an individual visit with the admissions officers. I have tried calling schools to ask how to set up appointments but many are unable to accommodate me. How would you recommend finding someone in admissions to speak with and how to approach them?

Paul (Nov 18, 2009 1:19:25 PM)
Daniel Magnia: Does Dartmouth want to interview its Consortium applicants, even after they completed their Consortium interview?

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Nov 18, 2009 1:19:30 PM)
Peter: That answer depends on your own needs and study habits. I definitely recommend taking a practice test or two to get an idea of the amount of preparation you need.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:19:34 PM)
Peterrsaree: Glad to hear that's important. HAND and the Latin American Students Association is very active on campus.

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:19:45 PM)
Linda- For me yes and no. I didn't get it from OP however the person I networked with, with whom I ultimately got my internship and now potentially a job with, was not an OP alumnus, but had a daughter who was about to join. So it gave us something to talk about.

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:20:06 PM)
In my class of 10 , two students got internships from OP.

Linda Abraham (Nov 18, 2009 1:20:31 PM)
For all: What tips do you have for applicants seeking Consortium Fellowships?

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:21:18 PM)
Linda, some tips are to visit the schools and be active in your community.

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:21:22 PM)
Paul - I did my CGSM interview with an alumnus and had an additional interview at Tuck. I think it would serve you well to interview with Tuck even after completing your CGSM interview.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:21:46 PM)
Linda, show your commitment to the Consortium mission and goals, be yourself on the essays and visit the schools you are interested in.

lola (Nov 18, 2009 1:22:32 PM)
If you can't afford to travel out, what's the next best thing to do to communicate your interest to these schools?

willy (Nov 18, 2009 1:22:35 PM)
What is the process once I am done with my GMAT?

SojiMaurice-DiyaYALE (Nov 18, 2009 1:22:39 PM)
Linda, I think the long-term benefit of being in the Consortium cannot be understated beyond just helping with the first job but your career.

Linda Abraham (Nov 18, 2009 1:23:00 PM)
Soji Maurice, what do you see as the long-term benefits?

GinaTuckerWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:23:05 PM)
Lola, many schools have online chats also. You can "chat" with students and admissions officers from the school if you can't visit.

Paul (Nov 18, 2009 1:23:42 PM)
Do admissions offices track how many times an applicant has emailed or spoke with their students? When the school is looking at an applicant's packet, do they discuss whether a student conducted a school visit? I'm finding it very difficult to leave work for  school visits. Most of my research is performed via email and on the internet.

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:23:51 PM)
Lola- I think what helped me at Simon was the fact that I wrote about things that attracted me to Simon such as small classes and certain professors. I think through thorough research you can show your dedication.

lola (Nov 18, 2009 1:24:33 PM)
Thanks Edward and Katrina.

KBratton (Nov 18, 2009 1:24:46 PM)
Students: Since the fellowship only covers tuition, did any of you get additional scholarships from your schools or what resources did you use to bridge the financial gap?

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:24:52 PM)
Lola: Reach out to the admission folks and show your commitment that way. They may be able to schedule a Video Chat if that can help. Having said that, I think it benefits you tremendously to visit to find your fit.

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:25:08 PM)
KBratton - I sold my soul to student loans.

RET (Nov 18, 2009 1:25:22 PM)
Rebecca: Hi. This is an open question. Could you provide some additional thoughts on the focus of the Consortium interviews? I understand that interviewers do follow some guidelines, which has pros and cons. How much do they focus on professional achievements and career objectives versus contribution to the Consortium's mission?

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:25:23 PM)
Me too!  :(

Roberto_Guzman (Nov 18, 2009 1:25:56 PM)
Soji Maurice, I couldn't attend the Diversity weekend at Yale, what would be another good time to visit the campus and talk to students, and attend classes, etc?

SojiMaurice-DiyaYALE (Nov 18, 2009 1:26:04 PM)
Linda: I see the benefits as being able to develop formal and informal mentors outside of the traditional alumni network students have at their schools. Additionally, the companies that help to sponsor the Consortium are welcome to continuing to support fellows post-graduation. Those are just a handful of ways in which the Consortium can be of long-term benefit.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:26:28 PM)
Paul - Yes, admissions officers do take into consideration whether or not you have visited campus. For some schools, that is a crucial part of the application process. We also monitor the overall impressions of those you have interacted with, whether via email, phone, or in person and ask our current students and staff, etc. for feedback. The communities that are created within an MBA Program can be very intimate and each school works hard to determine your fit.

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Nov 18, 2009 1:26:35 PM)
RET: The interview is focused on admission, not mission support. Your support of The Consortium's mission is addressed in other portions of your application. Treat the interview as if you were preparing for a job- research the school, prepare your own questions, and have examples of teamwork and leadership experiences ready.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:26:42 PM)
KBratton: Other resources to consider are loans, savings, and other organizations that might offer scholarships.

Linda Abraham (Nov 18, 2009 1:27:03 PM)
All: What advice would you give applicants who want to prepare for the start of school? What should they do before matriculating?

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:27:39 PM)
Linda, they should brush up on calculus and get familiar with Excel. It will be your friend.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:28:14 PM)
Linda, For school preparation: take a little time off. It will ramp up quickly. I took no time off, and went straight from work to school. I could have used a week or two to decompress.

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:28:22 PM)
Linda, travel! You have two years to learn, that initial term is going to be tough, why not relax beforehand?

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:28:27 PM)
Linda, I advise enjoying the last few weeks before starting classes. You will start at 100 miles/hr, so it's nice to be well-rested. Other than that, getting familiar with PowerPoint and Excel will be useful.

lola (Nov 18, 2009 1:28:31 PM)
It sounds like some folks got into their #1 choice and some their #2 choice. Can you please clarify if you still get money for the #2 choice? I also heard that if a school wasn't ranked #2, they might offer you admission but no fellowships.

SojiMaurice-DiyaYALE (Nov 18, 2009 1:29:29 PM)
Roberto_Guzman, it is very important to plan your trip to the extent that you can and speak to the Admissions Office beforehand to see if they can set you up for lunch with students who can broaden your perspective. I would also say that you probably want to avoid the exam periods as well as the very beginning of the semester. Thursdays are also a tad bit more relaxed. At business schools, Thursday are the new Friday!

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:29:32 PM)
Lola-it varies school to school, I am at my #1.

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Nov 18, 2009 1:30:04 PM)
Lola: There is no magic formula for rankings and fellowships. Rank your schools in the order in which you really want to be at that program. And for the rounds- apply when your application is strongest.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:30:04 PM)
Lola: True- you may get admission, but no fellowship from any of your ranked schools. You also may get a scholarship that's not necessarily the fellowship as well. I'm at my number 1 program.

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:30:18 PM)
Lola - additionally, I applied to 4 CGSM schools, got in to all of them, but only received fellowship to one.

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:30:36 PM)
Lola, I got into my top 3 schools and got fellowships at each of them.

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:30:39 PM)
Lola, I didn't get into my top choice, received money, but no fellowship.

mbahopeful (Nov 18, 2009 1:30:53 PM)
I do not have the greatest work experience. I graduated in 2006 and was unemployed for over a year and am now working in the restaurant business. I was a finance major and intend to start my own business after an MBA. how do I go about making up for a less than stellar work history?

Roberto_Guzman (Nov 18, 2009 1:31:02 PM)
Soji Maurice, are there volunteer Yale MBA students who can help you with Consortium application questions?

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:31:09 PM)
Willy: Apply to your school of choice and really polish your essays.

KBratton (Nov 18, 2009 1:31:14 PM)
Students: Did any of you work part time during school? If so, was it extremely difficult?

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Nov 18, 2009 1:31:18 PM)
Willy: This time of year, you should be wrapping up the rest of your application; essays, interview, and recommendations, etc. The GMAT is only one piece of the puzzle.

lola (Nov 18, 2009 1:31:29 PM)
Rebecca - can you please explain the discrepancy with having 480 applicants and only 330 fellowships awarded?

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:31:39 PM)
Kbratton- From my experience, you will not have time to work part time.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:31:56 PM)
Mbahopeful: My opinion is to put your story together in a great way. It sounds like you've learned a lot.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:32:18 PM)
KBratton: I agree. I don't think I could have found time to work part time.

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:32:18 PM)
KBratton, I didn't work part-time while in school. The few students in my class who did, didn't start working until the 2nd semester. It was challenging, but most of them were working in jobs that related to their post-business school aspirations.

eduardo (Nov 18, 2009 1:32:30 PM)
Open question: I have recently completed my Consortium Interview with a local NYU alumnus in San Diego, and I am getting ready to submit my application. I am a current student in the evening MBA at a top 25 school who has only completed 1 semester but I am at the top of my class grade wise (top 10%). Will this help me or hurt me when applying? I have put in a lot of work for those grades while working, but I have heard schools don't always like students starting elsewhere... any advice?

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:32:58 PM)
Lola - applying through the Consortium does not guarantee a fellowship.

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Nov 18, 2009 1:33:06 PM)
Lola: There are three steps in the decision process- Admission to the school, Membership in The Consortium, and Consortium fellowship. The number of people admitted and approved for membership are about the same (480), and 330 went on to receive the fellowship.

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:33:07 PM)
MBAhopeful: I was a marketing major in undergrad and moved to NYC in August of '01 without a job, hoping to get into advertising. I had an interview September 13, 2001. I worked in a restaurant for 3 years, then as an RE agent from '04 to '06 and as a personal banker. You just have to sell yourself a little more. I would think admissions would understand periods of unemployment in this economy.

SojiMaurice-DiyaYALE (Nov 18, 2009 1:33:44 PM)
Roberto_Guzman, most schools just do not have the capacity to help with these questions. It is viewed as an introspective portrayal of your motivations for business school and long-term goals and you probably should rely on people who you know and who know you to help craft your essays.

KBratton (Nov 18, 2009 1:33:45 PM)
Students: Did any of you have less than the 5 years average work experience? If so, was it a hindrance?

lola (Nov 18, 2009 1:33:50 PM)
Katrina - I didn't think it was possible to get 3 fellowships at once. Interesting - could that be the advantage of applying in the 1st round?

SojiMaurice-DiyaYALE (Nov 18, 2009 1:34:26 PM)
KBratton, I had less than 5 years work experience and I don't believe it was a hindrance at all. It is the quality of your work experience, rather than the quantity

peterrsaree (Nov 18, 2009 1:34:30 PM)
MBAhopeful: We are all in the same boat. The recession has affected our work experience, and you are not alone.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:34:40 PM)
Eduardo - It varies from school to school. Many schools will view it negatively and most of us will not accept transfer credits into our Core courses, which is what you have most likely completed. Are you sure that you want to stop your part-time program and start a full-time program? Why do you want to switch? These are the kinds of questions you need to address in your optional essay.

peterrsaree (Nov 18, 2009 1:34:41 PM)
I noticed that PowerPoint and Excel are frequently utilized in business classes. I have experience with both, but how proficient must you be in your first days in business school? Is there a review of PowerPoint and Excel, or do you hit the ground running on day one, with proficiency expected?

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:34:46 PM)
Lola, sorry for the confusion! I received the Consortium fellowship from my #1 school, my 2nd and 3rd choices offered unnamed fellowships to match.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:35:21 PM)
Peter: They are very important. If you don't know it well, you will!

eduardo (Nov 18, 2009 1:35:28 PM)
Did any of you take GRE instead of GMAT?

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:35:29 PM)
KBratton: Simon has an early leaders program for students who have little or no work experience. Check us out!

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:35:37 PM)
Eduardo, I didn't take the GRE.

lola (Nov 18, 2009 1:35:53 PM)
MBAhopeful, I am also in the same boat as you -unemployed. I am hoping to leverage my past work and extra-curricular activities for my application.

JamesFreedman-AponteVIRGINIA (Nov 18, 2009 1:35:55 PM)
Eduardo: Darden is accepting the GRE this year. I did not take it.

lola (Nov 18, 2009 1:36:03 PM)
OK, thanks for clarifying Katrina.

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:36:11 PM)
Peter, many fellow students will have very limited experience in PowerPoint and Excel so you're not expected to be proficient at the beginning. But it does make your homework and group meetings go a lot faster when you already know how to navigate the programs.

KBratton (Nov 18, 2009 1:36:16 PM)
Edward, absolutely! Thanks for your advice!

GinaTuckerWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:36:20 PM)
Peter, It is good to have a good level of comfort with both of these programs. Many schools will have a basic refresher course, though.

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:36:38 PM)
KBratton - I wouldn't advise it, I think you provide much more value to the class and the community if you have work experience.

Linda Abraham (Nov 18, 2009 1:37:10 PM)
Students: What do you like best (other than the people) about your program?

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:37:34 PM)
KBratton, it depends: As mentioned, Simon has an Early leaders program, but employers are going to view it as an undergrad. I also concur with Daniel about contributions.

eduardo (Nov 18, 2009 1:38:15 PM)
How much can the Consortium interview help us when applying? I feel like I had an amazing interview and was curious as to how much it can help "i.e. difference between good and great" when the interviewer submits an evaluation to Consortium. I was also wondering if the results of that interview reach our top schools as a part of the application package even if my top school, NYU, has interviews by invitation only later on.

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:38:27 PM)
Linda, some things are the small size, the dean and the learning experience.

Ann L (Nov 18, 2009 1:38:46 PM)
Rebecca: I have taken the GRE instead of the GMAT, and the schools I plan on applying to accept the GRE. Do I still need to take the GMAT for the general Consortium application?

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:39:03 PM)
Tough question Linda! One of the things I like best about my program is the appreciation for international experiences. Here at UNC I've been able to take a foreign language, travel to Egypt and Turkey for a class and am preparing to study abroad in Barcelona next semester.

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Nov 18, 2009 1:39:17 PM)
Ann: No, you don't need to take both tests if the schools you've included will all allow the GRE. A few schools have begun to accept the GRE, so the test you need to submit varies by which schools you're applying to.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:39:29 PM)
Eduardo - the results of your interview will reach each school through the application process. Those schools may then choose to ask you to interview with them personally or may not. A good interview can make a big difference in your application. Again, it all comes down to fit, and sometimes the interview is the only way to truly determine that.

Roberto_Guzman (Nov 18, 2009 1:41:07 PM)
Hi Erin, could you please elaborate on "comes down to fit" regarding the interview? Do you mean "fit" for schools or for The Consortium?

eduardo (Nov 18, 2009 1:42:19 PM)
Rebecca: How much can attending the diversity seminars for prospective students (E.G. Discover Stern) help us as potential applicants when applying? I attended this year and am not sure how much it can help.

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:42:56 PM)
Roberto, if you don't get into school, you won't get into Consortium. So the primary fit is the school. The fellowship is more determinate on Consortium fit.

Brigido (Nov 18, 2009 1:43:23 PM)
Erin: To follow-up with Eduardo's question - what kind of questions will you be asked during the interview? Is there a format?

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:44:12 PM)
Eduardo, attending the weekends makes a big difference in my opinion. 1) You get to meet your potential classmates and the admissions officers 2) Often times you can interview during these weekend events 3) People (current students and admissions) really get a chance to know you for more than your application.

Linda Abraham (Nov 18, 2009 1:44:20 PM)
For all schools, check Accepted's MBA Interview Feedback Database to see which questions have been asked in earlier interviews. Then please share your interview experience after you interview. There's lots of organized data and reports there, which you find by searching for your specific criteria.

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:44:21 PM)
Eduardo, I didn't go to diversity weekend at my school and got into Simon. In hindsight, I probably should have visited schools before applying, but I didn't have the time or money.

peterrsaree (Nov 18, 2009 1:44:26 PM)
I already knew a lot about the private business schools. This chat is helping because I am now thinking about the business schools at public institutions. I know the reputation or Virginia and Wisconsin. Thank you, Erin, Gina and James. I may make some changes on my list of schools on the Consortium application. Rebecca:  Does the Consortium only accept the GMAT?

GinaTuckerWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:44:39 PM)
Eduardo: Diversity Weekend does help because the school can put a face with the application. Getting to know admissions representatives and current students is always positive.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:44:43 PM)
Brigido - The Consortium interview format will vary by individual, school, etc. The goal for us is to determine your maturity and self awareness, your career goals, the reasons behind your choosing to get an MBA, and what unique skills you will bring to the table.

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Nov 18, 2009 1:45:59 PM)
Peter: The test that you should submit depends on which schools you are including in your application. We will accept both score types, depending on your school choices.

Linda Abraham (Nov 18, 2009 1:47:04 PM)
Students: Have the events in the financial markets and the recession affected your coursework? How have they entered your classroom?

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:48:07 PM)
Yes Linda, it is becoming incorporated more in my classes. One day in my Financial Institutions class, we went through the crisis step by step.

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:48:08 PM)
Linda, good question. During my first year, the recent events were incorporated into several of my classes, mainly Macroeconomics and Finance. UNC also held a 90 presentation with 2 B-School professors to talk about the crisis and why it was occurring.

KBratton (Nov 18, 2009 1:48:24 PM)
Students: Did you consider the class size when determining to which schools you wanted to apply? What are the advantages to having a smaller class?

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:48:42 PM)
KBratton: Yes!  The advantages are that I got to know more classmates more intimately. I pretty much know everyone in my class, which can only be an asset in future networking. Also, this enables more face time with professors and more leadership opportunities.

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:48:53 PM)
KBratton-I did, I was coming from the military and was looking for a smaller, tight-knit community.

Roberto_Guzman (Nov 18, 2009 1:48:57 PM)
I am interviewing with a Consortium alumnus that didn't go to any of the schools I would like to go to. Should I instead interview with a current student of one of the schools I am applying to?

Tony (Nov 18, 2009 1:49:06 PM)
How has not being in NY or another major city affected students in terms of networking and job hunting? Has it been a significant disadvantage?

GinaTuckerWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:49:22 PM)
KBratton: Absolutely. I did consider class size. I wanted to know my classmates and feel part of a community. I really like being a part of the Wisconsin program and the direct interaction with faculty and staff.

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:49:29 PM)
KBratton, class size was a big factor for me. I wanted a school that was big enough to have a great diversity of thought and experience (more than 200), but wasn't so big that I would feel lost and graduate without knowing all of my classmates (more than 350).

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:49:33 PM)
Roberto - Just don't tell your interviewer you don't want to go to his/her school.

Ann L (Nov 18, 2009 1:49:54 PM)
Erin: You mentioned that it is a good idea to set up an individual visit with the admissions officers. I have tried calling schools to ask how to set up appointments but many are unable to accommodate me. How would you recommend finding someone in admissions to speak with and how to approach them?

Paul (Nov 18, 2009 1:50:14 PM)
How many Consortium applicants are from the military?

Ann L (Nov 18, 2009 1:50:27 PM)
I have not been able to attend a MAPS session because of my work schedule (I travel frequently). Does this put me at a disadvantage when applying to The Consortium?

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Nov 18, 2009 1:50:31 PM)
Paul: We don't have data on that, but my experience is that there are quite a few folks each year.

GinaTuckerWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:50:59 PM)
Roberto, I interviewed with someone from a different school. I used that as an opportunity to get a different perspective for evaluating schools and programs.

Brigido (Nov 18, 2009 1:51:26 PM)
Alumni: Did anyone take the GMAT more than once to meet your target score? If so, does taking the GMAT more than once look bad for admissions?

KatrinaMcGheeUNC (Nov 18, 2009 1:51:39 PM)
Tony, I'm currently living in Chapel Hill, North Carolina and was previously living in Atlanta, Georgia. I actually wanted to live in a smaller town so I could feel a greater sense of community with my classmates and be more involved in school. With a decent sized airport close by, I've been able to travel easily for interviews and visits. As far as networking, UNC has some great graduate programs in addition to the business school and Duke is right down the road. I don't believe it's been a hindrance for me.

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:51:47 PM)
Brigido, I took it once.

RebeccaDockeryCONSORTIUM (Nov 18, 2009 1:51:55 PM)
Ann: You are not required to attend the MAPS, but it can be helpful in preparing your application. There are other opportunities to learn about schools and application strategies, so use those opportunities that do work with your schedule.

peterrsaree (Nov 18, 2009 1:51:59 PM)
Rebecca: That is good to know. I may visit other schools, do more research and ask more questions. I am not in a hurry, although I would like to improve my career prospects as soon as I can. I have been studying for the GMAT, so I will take it soon. As far as the GMAT goes, I do not know whether a class is crucial in my case. The scores at all of these schools are very high.

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:52:00 PM)
Brigido-I took it twice, I don't think it looks bad. It shows commitment to the cause.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:52:36 PM)
Ann L: I am surprised by that! I know at Wisconsin you are able to register for a visit online, which includes attending a class, lunch and tour with current students, and meetings with the admissions team. Most of the CGSM schools offer something similar on their website, I would encourage you to check that out.

GinaTuckerWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:52:41 PM)
Brigido, I took it twice. It is common for people to take it more than once.

Linda Abraham (Nov 18, 2009 1:52:51 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to all the Consortium representatives here this evening.

We look forward to seeing you at future events. Here is a list of currently scheduled events:

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details. Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications.

EdwardAppiahROCHESTER (Nov 18, 2009 1:52:54 PM)
Bye Good Luck!

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:53:19 PM)
Best of luck to you all!

Paul (Nov 18, 2009 1:53:21 PM)
Thanks for all of your help!

GinaTuckerWISCONSIN (Nov 18, 2009 1:53:25 PM)
Good luck everyone!

peterrsaree (Nov 18, 2009 1:53:28 PM)
Good luck!

Brigido (Nov 18, 2009 1:53:31 PM)
Thanks Alumni!

Ann L (Nov 18, 2009 1:53:33 PM)
Thank you for your help!

DanielMagniaDARTMOUTH (Nov 18, 2009 1:53:36 PM)
Good luck everyone!

Roberto_Guzman (Nov 18, 2009 1:53:46 PM)

learning (Nov 18, 2009 1:54:18 PM)

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room