2010 Ask Current Consortium MBA Q&A with Rebecca Dockery

2010 Consortium MBA Application Strategies Chat with Janice Wells-Wright

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Dec 1, 2009 6:59:03 PM)
First I want to welcome all applicants to the Consortium chat today. You need to know as much as you can to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice. Being here today allows you to ask the Consortium experts and School representatives about this outstanding program and how it relates to their business schools.

I also want to welcome our special guests for this evening.

• Janice Wells-White – Consortium - VP, Program Administration
  • Erin Nicklesburg – Wisconsin - Director of Admissions and Recruitment
  • Jon Fuller - Michigan - Senior Associate Director of Admissions
  • Kellie Sauls – Virginia - Associate Director of Admissions
  • Rodrigo Malta - Texas - Associate Director of Admissions
  • Tony Green - Rochester - Associate Director of Admissions
  • Ann Richards - Cornell - Director of Financial Aid, Associate Director of  Admissions
  • Chris Gaeta - NYU - Senior Associate Director, MBA Admissions

A few more school representatives may be on their way too. I'll introduce them when they arrive.
Once again, the Consortium has done a phenomenal job of coordinating a great panel for your questions. Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Dec 1, 2009 7:01:53 PM)
To all panel members: Are you seeing an increase, decrease, or flat application volume?

Learning (Dec 1, 2009 7:02:16 PM)
Janice: On the online application, there is a section that says future work experience and it has several drop down menus. What do they mean by future work experience - is it jobs we plan on taking before we begin our MBA or jobs after graduating from MBA?

JonFullerMICHIGAN (Dec 1, 2009 7:02:37 PM)
Linda, we've seen a decrease in our overall round 1 applications this year, but increased traffic for our round 2. We'll see how that pans out in January! Consortium Round 1 applications are still being processed, so we're not sure yet how that will pan out as compared to last year.

Linda Abraham (Dec 1, 2009 7:02:59 PM)
Thanks Jon.

DW (Dec 1, 2009 7:03:41 PM)
Janice: Are we able to take the GRE in lieu of the GMAT if the school(s) to which we are applying accepts this test?

TonyGreenROCHESTER (Dec 1, 2009 7:03:44 PM)
Linda, we have been flat through our first round of applications.

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:03:45 PM)
Linda, It's hard to tell at this juncture because we are waiting to see CGSM Round 1.

JaniceWells-WhiteCONSORTIUM (Dec 1, 2009 7:03:52 PM)
Learning, the future work experience refers to jobs after graduating from MBA.

worker23 (Dec 1, 2009 7:04:10 PM)
During which academic year should students apply?

JaniceWells-WhiteCONSORTIUM (Dec 1, 2009 7:04:23 PM)
DW: Yes.

Linda Abraham (Dec 1, 2009 7:05:04 PM)
For all the schools accepting the GRE, are you looking more at the raw scores or the percentiles scores?

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Dec 1, 2009 7:05:49 PM)
Linda: We are coming in flat so far, but again, too early to tell how the whole season will pan out.

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:05:50 PM)
Linda, Darden will look at both percentile and raw score.

Alicia (Dec 1, 2009 7:05:58 PM)
For all the school reps: Do you have thoughts on what might equate as "too much" work experience? I.e. does having 10 years work experience hurt admissions possibilities?

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Dec 1, 2009 7:06:14 PM)
Linda: Texas will also look at both scores for the GRE.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Dec 1, 2009 7:06:31 PM)
Linda, at Wisconsin we will be accepting the GRE on a case by case basis and will be looking at both the raw scores and the percentile scores. The standard will be higher in the quantitative section so that we can create some comparison with the GMAT percentiles and scores. The goal is to determine the potential academic success for the candidate.

TonyGreenROCHESTER (Dec 1, 2009 7:06:37 PM)
Good question on GRE Linda, we consider raw score first to give context, and then percentile to identify strengths.

JonFullerMICHIGAN (Dec 1, 2009 7:07:10 PM)
Alicia, I wouldn't worry too much about quantity of WE - most schools are focused on the quality of that experience and how the MBA fits into your overall career progression and your personal goals.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Dec 1, 2009 7:08:40 PM)
Alicia - it depends more on the individual candidate and their career goals. It may be more difficult to break into certain industries with 10 years of experience. It is more about making sure the applicant's expectations are in line with the expectations of the industry they are looking to find post graduation.

TonyGreenROCHESTER (Dec 1, 2009 7:08:47 PM)
Alicia, the quality of the experience will take precedence. Then the relevance of that experience to the candidate's reason for an MBA and future career plans will be considered.

Learning (Dec 1, 2009 7:08:50 PM)
Thanks, Janice. Another question: On the online application, there is a section that asks total months employed. Does that mean anticipated total until the time we leave to begin our MBA? Or is it the total number of months employed until today, or until the application/submission date?

ejackson (Dec 1, 2009 7:10:33 PM)
Janice: I noticed that some core questions include GMAT score while others do not. Is that an indication of how important the GMAT score is to that particular school?

JaniceWells-WhiteCONSORTIUM (Dec 1, 2009 7:11:05 PM)
Learning: It's the anticipated total until the time you leave to begin your MBA.

GettingThere (Dec 1, 2009 7:11:07 PM)
Hi Janice - If I prefer to submit my GRE scores for schools that accept the GRE, is there a way to indicate this preference on the application?

Michelle (Dec 1, 2009 7:12:09 PM)
Panel Members: If the admissions counsel elects to invite an applicant to campus for an interview, when would that interview take place?

Alicia (Dec 1, 2009 7:12:26 PM)
For a GMAT score to be considered, does it have to be completed by the January application deadline? (I have taken it once, but would like to try and improve my score  and wasn't sure if a new score can be sent in after the application has been submitted.)

JonFullerMICHIGAN (Dec 1, 2009 7:13:06 PM)
Alicia: Each school may have a different protocol, but I know our *preference* is to have scores at the time of application submission or shortly after submission, otherwise it could delay the review of your application, evaluation for interview consideration, etc. There's also a time lag between when you take the exam and when your scores are reported to the schools (or the Consortium).

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:13:32 PM)
EJackson: I think referencing the GMAT in the core question may be an indicator of importance, but more so relevance.

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Dec 1, 2009 7:13:52 PM)
Michelle: The required interview for the Consortium application should take place by the time you submit your Consortium application. For any school specific interview (in addition to the Consortium interview), you need to contact the school directly for their specific policy/preferred time-frame for completion.

DR_01 (Dec 1, 2009 7:14:01 PM)
For all schools: Does the evaluation process differ for someone applying through Consortium compared to direct applicants?

Learning (Dec 1, 2009 7:14:20 PM)
The Consortium application asks if you are Hispanic or not, and if you say "Yes", then they follow it up by asking White or Black Hispanic, etc. What do you answer if you are neither?

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:14:43 PM)
DR: The evaluation process does not differ for those applicants who apply via the Consortium.

JonFullerMICHIGAN (Dec 1, 2009 7:14:54 PM)
DR_01, Michigan's process is the same for Consortium and direct applicants.

Dustin (Dec 1, 2009 7:14:58 PM)
As far as recommendations are concerned, should a recommendation from a former colleague be avoided? I have heard mixed messages regarding that. In some cases colleagues are more informed about leadership and teamwork skills than supervisors. Could it be more beneficial to receive one from a supervisor and one from a colleague to achieve more diverse perspectives?

TonyGreenROCHESTER (Dec 1, 2009 7:15:47 PM)
DR_01 - application review is same for all candidates... we get excited to see CGSM applications, but continue to apply same admission standards.

Dustin (Dec 1, 2009 7:16:26 PM)
Should only applicable work experience be included in the application? For example, working at a restaurant during a job search after college graduation may not be relevant, so should we not include?

Andrea (Dec 1, 2009 7:16:41 PM)
Are non-minorities truly eligible for Consortium scholarships and if yes, what experiences would be qualifying? I've done a lot of social justice work, but am not black, Hispanic or Native American. Also, if I have doubts about meeting the Consortium's standards, should I still apply to schools through the program rather than applying independent of it?

JaniceWells-WhiteCONSORTIUM (Dec 1, 2009 7:16:58 PM)
Getting There: Yes, there is. If you are submitting GMAT scores, you will complete the test score section in the core application. Schools accepting the GRE have separate GRE test score sections on their application supplements. You will find these GRE sections on Yale, NYU, Dartmouth, and Washington University's supplements.

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:17:02 PM)
Dustin: A recommendation from a former colleague is fine if that colleague can speak well about your professional experience. Supervisor recommendations are typical, but avoiding former colleagues isn't necessary.

Joseph R (Dec 1, 2009 7:17:07 PM)
Tony: I know that Simon has an early leaders program: Are there any other schools represented here that have a similar program?

samiurtalukder (Dec 1, 2009 7:17:58 PM)
I have a specific question for Cornell - how have students interested in social / global enterprise fared with their applications, and how competitive is it? In addition to Cornell's immersion experience program, the school has been at the forefront of social enterprise, e.g. Alex Counts of Grameen USA is a Cornell graduate. What other specific and even new opportunities exist for candidates interested in social entrepreneurship?

ES (Dec 1, 2009 7:18:13 PM)
Do I have to get accepted first to the University or College before applying for the Consortium, or I may apply to both at the same time?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Dec 1, 2009 7:18:30 PM)
Hi Dustin -You should keep your work experience relevant to professional opportunities. You should highlight those skills and goals obtained while working in these positions. If there were other jobs that help explain your background, you can always include this in the additional essay.

jonesy (Dec 1, 2009 7:18:49 PM)
Janice, can I apply this year and if so, when is the deadline?

TonyGreenROCHESTER (Dec 1, 2009 7:19:10 PM)
Dustin - good question about recommenders. Recommendations are best if they can confirm an applicant's claim of personal strengths and accomplishments. Supervisors are typically best to comment on this, but colleagues are fine as well. It might be best to explain in an optional essay as to why a colleague was chosen instead of a supervisor.

samiurtalukder (Dec 1, 2009 7:19:33 PM)
What opportunities exist for students interested in pursuing careers in micro-finance and social enterprise? Also, how are applications from students from different parts of the world faring? What opportunities/financial and non financial have been created for international students?

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Dec 1, 2009 7:19:45 PM)
Andrea - The decisions around Consortium Fellowships are made solely based on the work that the applicant has done to support the mission of the Consortium. That mission is to increase the number of under represented minorities in business and business school. Decisions are made regardless of the race/ethnicity of the applicant. If you are concerned about not meeting the Consortium's standards for Fellowship, I would encourage you to reach out to them to discuss it.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 1, 2009 7:19:46 PM)
Samiur, Social Enterprise and Social Responsibility are very popular. Our graduates have fared well in a tough economy. There are lots of opportunities through Net Impact and the Center for Global Sustainability. You can find a lot more information on our website.

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Dec 1, 2009 7:20:06 PM)
Jonesy, you can apply this year. the last application deadline is Jan 5, 2010.

jonesy (Dec 1, 2009 7:20:19 PM)
What is the criteria for an applicant to be accepted?

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:20:25 PM)
ES: The Consortium application process is an admissions application process. There is no need to obtain admissions before applying via the Consortium. UNC is the only CGSM school that requires their school application in addition to the Consortium application. You will need to check with UNC on that.

jonesy (Dec 1, 2009 7:20:44 PM)
What are the test score ranges the program looks for and what is the best test to take for entrance?

Eduardo_Trojan (Dec 1, 2009 7:20:59 PM)
Hi Mrs. Wells-White. I have already been interviewed for the Consortium by a local NYU alumnus in San Diego. How can I know if she has submitted the interview forms necessary so that the requirement is satisfied?

Eduardo_Trojan (Dec 1, 2009 7:21:16 PM)
Is there a toll-free Consortium phone number we can call if we have specific questions about the application? I have called multiple times but have not been able to reach anyone at the main Consortium telephone line.

ES (Dec 1, 2009 7:21:21 PM)
What if I retake the test after I completed the Consortium application and would like to change the order the Universities I picked-- may do so?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 1, 2009 7:21:52 PM)
Jonesy - the criteria vary from school to school. You should look at the profiles at the schools you are interested in and also look at the ranges of the GPA, and GMAT to determine if you're a competitive candidate for that program.

TonyGreenROCHESTER (Dec 1, 2009 7:21:55 PM)
Samiurtalukder - most schools have a Net Impact chapter that places MBA grads into social enterprise programs. Many options are available.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Dec 1, 2009 7:22:01 PM)
ES - If you plan to retake the test I would encourage you to reach out to the schools you have listed on your application and let them know.

DW (Dec 1, 2009 7:22:16 PM)
In general, what are residency requirements for the programs? For example-  Full-time residency, commuter, distance learner,  or a combination, etc.?

JonFullerMICHIGAN (Dec 1, 2009 7:22:19 PM)
Samiurtalukder, Michigan has an institute that focuses heavily on the broad continuum of sustainability - The Frederick A. and Barbara M. Erb Institute for Global Sustainable Enterprise is a partnership between the Ross School and the U–M’s School of Natural Resources and Environment. The institute fosters global sustainable enterprise through interdisciplinary research and education initiatives, including our MBA/MS program.

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Dec 1, 2009 7:22:31 PM)
Jonesy - test score ranges vary by school and that information is often available at the school's website. All Consortium schools take the GMAT and a few take the GRE. It is best to contact the individual school you are applying to if you are thinking about going with the GRE.

JaniceWells-WhiteCONSORTIUM (Dec 1, 2009 7:22:46 PM)
Learning: Good questions. I think you are not required to select White or Black. If it doesn't allow you to bypass, follow-up with me and I will find a solution.

DR_01 (Dec 1, 2009 7:22:47 PM)
For all schools: Should GMAT scores be reported to the schools or the Consortium?

RS-MBACandidate (Dec 1, 2009 7:22:50 PM)
Janice: Are there any tips you can share regarding ranking the schools in the application, especially if the candidate has 3 schools they like equally?

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:23:54 PM)
DR: your GMAT scores should be reported to CGSM. You can also reach out to the schools and let them know you've submitted your scores especially if retaking.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Dec 1, 2009 7:24:21 PM)
Hi Eduardo- Thanks for your interest in the Consortium and the member schools. All schools to which you applied will see the results of your interview. Some schools may require an additional school specific interview, and we are one of these schools.

GettingThere (Dec 1, 2009 7:24:24 PM)
Thank you. My follow-up question regarding the GRE submission vs. GMAT is will schools inevitably see my GMAT scores, even in cases where I only want the GRE score to be considered for admission?

Dustin (Dec 1, 2009 7:24:43 PM)
What are the financial aid deadlines to be aware of so that we are eligible for consideration?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 1, 2009 7:24:53 PM)
DW - residency requirements may be referring to one of two things - State residency for tuition purposes or the required number of registered semesters or quarters you'll need to meet graduation requirements.

worker23 (Dec 1, 2009 7:25:12 PM)
When is the ideal time to apply to the Consortium as far as your academic year? I'm currently a Junior scheduled to graduate May 2011. Am I too late?

MBA2010 (Dec 1, 2009 7:25:40 PM)
Hi, can you please provide examples of what Essay 3 should address?

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:25:41 PM)
GT: If you have submitted your GMAT score to a school, it will be reviewed by the school even if you submit your GRE scores too.

DW (Dec 1, 2009 7:25:43 PM)
Kellie Sauls, GRE is okay for Darden, right? What about Cornell?

ejackson (Dec 1, 2009 7:26:01 PM)
Thanks, Kellie! That's helpful.

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:26:03 PM)
DW: GRE is OK for Darden.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 1, 2009 7:26:33 PM)
DW - we are not accepting the GRE this year.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Dec 1, 2009 7:26:46 PM)
Worker 23 - Most, but not all, of the schools involved with the Consortium require a minimum amount of work experience, which is typically 2 years. I would encourage you to research the schools you are interested in. If you do plan to apply immediately after undergraduate you would want to begin the application during the fall of your senior year.

EdV (Dec 1, 2009 7:26:54 PM)
I read through the other chats and couldn't quite get a solid picture of the interview process. If the absolute deadline for a Consortium interview is December 20th, what is the minimum amount of materials that need to be submitted in order to call and schedule it?

ES (Dec 1, 2009 7:27:54 PM)
Are you allowed to change the rankings of your Universities after you retake the GMAT?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Dec 1, 2009 7:28:35 PM)
Hi ES-Once you submit your Consortium application, the rankings you select cannot be changed.

Michelle (Dec 1, 2009 7:28:41 PM)
GMAT question: I know that it is the responsibility of each applicant to ensure that scores reach the Consortium by Dec. 20th, however, if official scores are sent after that date, the Consortium must be notified. How should this notification be generated? Call? Email?

DJD0922 (Dec 1, 2009 7:28:49 PM)
Ann, Cornell has an invitation-only interview policy. Given this, how does the Johnson School regard the Consortium Interview in the admissions process? Will Cornell accommodate reasonable interview requests before the Jan. 5th Consortium application deadline?

JaniceWells-WhiteCONSORTIUM (Dec 1, 2009 7:29:18 PM)
RS: It's important to do your research and learn as much as you can regarding the school, its culture and curriculum. If finances allow, it's always a great idea to visit the schools to meet with admissions officers and current students to learn more regarding their programs. This will help you in ranking the programs that seem the best fit.

samiurtalukder (Dec 1, 2009 7:29:32 PM)
It's difficult to demonstrate uniqueness among a pool of candidates. Do you have any suggestions?

GettingThere (Dec 1, 2009 7:29:50 PM)
For Janice - I received conflicting information from representatives when I have called the Consortium contact numbers. Can you confirm that individual essays for each school are NOT optional and that applicants must, in fact, complete the separate essays for each school to which they are applying?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 1, 2009 7:29:57 PM)
We will accept the Consortium application and offer an interview to any Consortium candidate who visits the Johnson School. Let me know if you're interested and we'll set you up!

Dustin (Dec 1, 2009 7:30:21 PM)
Obviously coaching your recommenders is not acceptable, but is it okay to share with them what particular strengths an applicant will focus on in their essays so that the recommendations and essays contribute similarly to the overall story written by the application?

Eduardo_Trojan (Dec 1, 2009 7:30:37 PM)
Mr. Gaeta: Since I have been interviewed by the Consortium already, is the NYU interview by invitation only or mandatory for all applicants?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Dec 1, 2009 7:31:04 PM)
Hi Eduardo- NYU interviews are by invitation.

ES (Dec 1, 2009 7:31:15 PM)
Can I send the Consortium applications with my current score and then retake my GMAT and send the new scores? If the answer is yes, can I do that after Jan 5th or it has to be done before that?

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:31:33 PM)
Sami: You are unique so just be true to your own experiences-authentic. I would encourage you to have friends/colleagues read essays and conduct mock interviews for help.

Eduardo_Trojan (Dec 1, 2009 7:32:00 PM)
Great-- that is what I thought. Thank you for confirming!

Dustin (Dec 1, 2009 7:32:06 PM)
Hi Janice, the interview deadline is the 20th of December, so as long as our interview is scheduled before that date are we okay? The Consortium alumnus does not have to submit their feedback before the 20th also, correct?

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Dec 1, 2009 7:32:14 PM)
ES - There are limitations to how far beyond the deadline a school may be willing to accept a new GMAT score. Again, I encourage you to reach out to those individual schools to determine their time-line.

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Dec 1, 2009 7:32:39 PM)
Dustin: You are correct, we actually encourage applicants to share not only their strengths, but also why an MBA and their short/long term goals with the recommenders so they are better prepared to write the letters or recommendations.

DR_01 (Dec 1, 2009 7:33:36 PM)
Can I send the Consortium application if I have not been interviewed yet? What would I have to do to schedule an interview in the DR?

ejackson (Dec 1, 2009 7:34:02 PM)
Can the recommendations be viewed once submitted?

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Dec 1, 2009 7:35:01 PM)
DR - Yes, you can submit the application if you have not yet been interviewed. I would encourage you to then reach out to the Consortium or to one of the schools you have listed on your application to set up that interview.

DW (Dec 1, 2009 7:35:04 PM)
KellieSauls, I would like to schedule a visit to Darden. To whom should I speak?

JaniceWells-WhiteCONSORTIUM (Dec 1, 2009 7:35:06 PM)
EdV: You should let the interviewer know that you would like him/her to conduct your Consortium interview. Once you have agreed upon a mutually agreeable time for the interview, you should send the interviewer a copy of your resume. This will allow the interviewer time to become familiar with you and your background before the interview session.

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:35:28 PM)
EJ: Recommendations can't be viewed if you have waived your rights to see them. If you did not waive your rights to see the recommendations, then you can request to view them.

ejackson (Dec 1, 2009 7:36:18 PM)
Janice: Is it appropriate to use the 3rd essay to explain why a recommendation is not coming from a current employer?

DW (Dec 1, 2009 7:36:43 PM)
Do Consortium sponsored companies historically provide summer work to Consortium participants?

DJD0922 (Dec 1, 2009 7:36:59 PM)
Ann, thanks! Given the end of classes this week and holiday season, is there a deadline to set up a visit and Consortium visit with Cornell? Also, what might be the best way to follow up with you?

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:37:22 PM)
DW: you can email our admissions coordinator to schedule that visit. The information about visits to Darden can be found on our website.

MBA2010 (Dec 1, 2009 7:37:27 PM)
I retook the GMAT but submitted my scores to the individual schools instead of to CGSM. Will that be a problem?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Dec 1, 2009 7:37:42 PM)
ES-You should contact the specific schools that you are applying to. Each school may have a slightly different policy in terms of the date they will accept new scores.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Dec 1, 2009 7:37:51 PM)
DW - Many of the companies that sponsor the Consortium are involved in the Orientation Program, which assists in connecting incoming students with companies for potential internships. In addition many of those companies are directly involved with the schools that are a part of the Consortium.

ED (Dec 1, 2009 7:38:12 PM)
In terms of financing, how much financial assistance does the Consortium provide?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 1, 2009 7:38:15 PM)
DJD0922 - You can schedule a visit anytime the University is open, even if classes are not in session. You can schedule a visit on line from our website. You can always contact me via email as well.

JaniceWells-WhiteCONSORTIUM (Dec 1, 2009 7:38:18 PM)
EJackson: The optional essay is an excellent place to explain why a recommendation is not coming from your current employer.

Linda Abraham (Dec 1, 2009 7:38:37 PM)
May Consortium applicants submit the school's application as opposed to the Consortium application or in addition to the Consortium application if applying to schools other than UNC?

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:38:46 PM)
MBA2010: I would still submit to CGSM because all of your application materials will be received that way. If you've already done it, just follow-up to make sure all the schools have received the scores.

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Dec 1, 2009 7:39:36 PM)
Linda, for Wisconsin there is no need to complete the separate application. The Consortium application is treated as if it were a "regular" application.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 1, 2009 7:39:54 PM)
Linda, this is our first year in the Consortium, so we're encouraging students to apply using the Consortium application. They do not need to submit a Johnson School application.

JonFullerMICHIGAN (Dec 1, 2009 7:40:06 PM)
ED Students who are admitted to a Consortium school are then considered for Consortium membership. Those granted Consortium membership are then evaluated for fellowship (full tuition scholarship) consideration by their admitted programs. This is where the school ranking process comes in - schools are given the opportunity to provide you with a fellowship in the order that you ranked them when you applied.

RodrigoMaltaTEXAS (Dec 1, 2009 7:40:54 PM)
Linda: For Texas, we take the Consortium application as our "own" therefore there is no need to complete a separate Texas MBA application.

JonFullerMICHIGAN (Dec 1, 2009 7:41:32 PM)
ED, the fellowship actually comes from the granting school. For many schools, even if they decide to not offer you a fellowship, you are still considered for traditional scholarship opportunities.

HopefulMBA10 (Dec 1, 2009 7:41:39 PM)
Chris: Does NYU take into consideration their ranking on an application when considering an applicant. Does ranking NYU as #5 or #6 demonstrate to the AdCom my interest in the program, thereby impacting their decision?

JaniceWells-WhiteCONSORTIUM (Dec 1, 2009 7:42:50 PM)
Linda: No. If you are applying to MBA programs through the Consortium, you must complete our application. Additionally, if you are applying to UNC, you must complete The Consortium's application and UNC's as well.

GettingThere (Dec 1, 2009 7:42:59 PM)
With respect to obtaining Consortium membership (upon admission to a school) as a result of a demonstrated commitment to the mission, can you share some of the type of mission-related work that past successful applicants have completed?

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Dec 1, 2009 7:43:39 PM)
ES - There is a limit to the amount of time that can pass before you must have all application materials completed. I would encourage you to reach out to the schools listed on your application to determine what their drop-dead date might be.

samiurtalukder (Dec 1, 2009 7:43:49 PM)
Any advice for international candidates and students given restricted financing and financial constraints/loan options?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Dec 1, 2009 7:43:51 PM)
Hi Hopeful - Your application will be viewed on its admissions merit. We take a holistic view to your application. We want to see your undergraduate performance, GMAT scores, work experience, leadership and management experience, recommendations, etc. Therefore, the rankings do not play a role in the admissions decision.

AJax (Dec 1, 2009 7:44:51 PM)
Janice: What is the best way to set up an interview? Should we contact those on the list via phone or email?

Paul (Dec 1, 2009 7:45:27 PM)
In regard to commitment to the Consortium Mission, I am the first in my family to attain a bachelor's degree. I will also be the first to attain an MBA. Most of my commitment to the mission is in trying to inspire my family to get a college education. Can my work with my family qualify as commitment to the Consortium mission?

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:45:28 PM)
GettingThere: The mission-related work comes in all forms. I've seen mentorship, social ventures, community based volunteerism, BigBrother/BigSister, and corporate sponsored volunteer opportunities, etc...

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 1, 2009 7:46:44 PM)
Samiurtalukder - only US citizens or Permanent Residents can apply through the Consortium. Many schools offer scholarship assistance to international as well as domestic students. There are often loan options available to international students. Loan availability for international students as well as the terms and conditions vary by school, so check each school's website for specific information on funding for international students.

GettingThere (Dec 1, 2009 7:46:51 PM)
Thank you for all of your very helpful responses so far!

JaniceWells-WhiteCONSORTIUM (Dec 1, 2009 7:47:17 PM)
AJax: You can do either. In almost all cases, interviewers have listed both an email address and phone number.

HopefulMBA10 (Dec 1, 2009 7:47:34 PM)
Ann: I understand that Cornell looks at applicants holistically. I've scored below the 80% range of Cornell GMAT; do you have any recommendations as to how I could possibly demonstrate that the GMAT isn't the best reflection of my ability to handle the rigors of Cornell's program?

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:47:47 PM)
Paul: I think your work with your family qualifies. You will need to be specific, but I think wherever you apply the mission is relevant even if it's your family. You will want to really think about who you will get to supply your recommendation for mission support.

Linda Abraham (Dec 1, 2009 7:49:49 PM)
To the entire panel, what are the most common mistakes you see in MBA essays? In Consortium essays?

DW (Dec 1, 2009 7:49:54 PM)
KellieSauls---Does Darden offer the ability to attend classes at some of the satellite locations across VA?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 1, 2009 7:50:04 PM)
HopefulMBA10 - we use the GMAT as one indicator of your success in the classroom. Your transcripts are another indicator. If you have some "blips" in your academic record, you should explain it in your optional essay. You may also want to take a course at a local college or university, but be proactive - don't tell the admissions committee you'll strengthen your academics if you're admitted.

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:50:41 PM)
DW: Class visits can only be done in Charlottesville where you would be attending class as a full-time student.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Dec 1, 2009 7:51:27 PM)
Hi Linda - A common mistake is a poorly written essay. A good career essay will be specific in terms of short-term goals. The applicant really needs to show that they have done their research and they have a solid and logical reason for attending business school.

TonyGreenROCHESTER (Dec 1, 2009 7:52:17 PM)
Regarding essay mistakes, one mistake is lack of thought and research into a decision for an MBA. This is shown by a lack of connection between prior experience and career goals.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 1, 2009 7:52:49 PM)
Linda - We are always concerned when we see a sloppy application - misspellings, wrong titles or programs. It's an indication to us that the candidate doesn't pay attention to detail - if they display this in their application to us, they may be as careless when recruiters.

Linda Abraham (Dec 1, 2009 7:52:52 PM)
I frequently find that candidates confuse areas of interest with career goals.

TonyGreenROCHESTER (Dec 1, 2009 7:52:59 PM)
Great applicant essays clearly state personal skills, and how an MBA will enhance these skills to obtain future career plans.

JonFullerMICHIGAN (Dec 1, 2009 7:53:22 PM)
Linda, one common mistake I see is that the applicant answers a question that s/he *wishes* the school asked instead of actually thoroughly answering the question that was posed. Make sure you answer the question! One good way to check - give your essays to a friend/family member *without* providing the question. Ask them to tell you what was being asked after they've read it. If they get the question completely wrong, it's time to go back to the drawing board.

GettingThere (Dec 1, 2009 7:54:06 PM)
Similarly, what are the most common mistakes you see in the interviews (once you receive feedback)?

Michelle (Dec 1, 2009 7:54:36 PM)
Chris: In terms of being specific in the essays, does it weigh favorably to name the company or organization for which you would like to work? Or should the goal(s) remain broad enough to encompass only an industry or position?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Dec 1, 2009 7:54:47 PM)
Hi Michelle-The more research you can do the better. Industry and specific function are most important. However, if you know some target companies and you want to mention them that is usually a sign that you are on the right track!

JonFullerMICHIGAN (Dec 1, 2009 7:54:51 PM)
GettingThere, make sure you're prepared and take it very seriously - like you would a job interview. But don't come across as being cocky or arrogant. You need to show you can play well with others. :)

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:54:52 PM)
GT: Interviews where the interviewee asks for feedback on the spot are not okay.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Dec 1, 2009 7:55:14 PM)
Regarding interviews, it is always evident which students have not prepared. Answers should be succinct and on point. A 10 minute answer is usually an interview hazard!

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 1, 2009 7:55:17 PM)
Getting There - I like to see confidence in candidates during the interview, so be prepared and be yourself.

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:55:20 PM)
Yes, have confidence in yourself.

Linda Abraham (Dec 1, 2009 7:55:50 PM)
Great answers. Thanks.

Linda Abraham (Dec 1, 2009 7:56:04 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to all the Consortium representatives here this evening.

We look forward to seeing you at future chats. Here is a list of currently scheduled chats:

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details.

Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

GettingThere (Dec 1, 2009 7:56:37 PM)
Yes, thank you.

Alicia (Dec 1, 2009 7:56:40 PM)
Thank you very much!

JonFullerMICHIGAN (Dec 1, 2009 7:56:43 PM)
Thanks to everyone and for Linda and the Accepted.com team's facilitation.

Eduardo_Trojan (Dec 1, 2009 7:56:45 PM)
Thank you!

DW (Dec 1, 2009 7:56:51 PM)
Thank you all :)

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 1, 2009 7:56:52 PM)
Thanks, everyone!

Linda Abraham (Dec 1, 2009 7:56:55 PM)
You're most welcome.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Dec 1, 2009 7:56:58 PM)

KellieSaulsVIRGINIA (Dec 1, 2009 7:57:02 PM)

GettingThere (Dec 1, 2009 7:57:02 PM)
Thanks so much for this opportunity again. An awesome way to support strong and dedicated candidates!

TonyGreenROCHESTER (Dec 1, 2009 7:57:06 PM)
Thanks everyone!

JonFullerMICHIGAN (Dec 1, 2009 7:57:13 PM)
Best wishes for a successful application!

DJD0922 (Dec 1, 2009 7:57:15 PM)
Thank you all.

JaniceWells-WhiteCONSORTIUM (Dec 1, 2009 7:57:21 PM)
Thank you Linda!

Dustin (Dec 1, 2009 7:57:29 PM)
Thank you very much to everyone!

ErinNicklesburgWISCONSIN (Dec 1, 2009 7:58:00 PM)
Best of luck in your applications!

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room