2010 Cornell Johnson MBA Chat with Randall Sawyer

2010 Cornell Johnson MBA Chat with Randall Sawyer

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Dec 14, 2009 11:58:32 AM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome all applicants to the Cornell Johnson chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Johnson’s MBA program. To make a sound decision about where to apply and to get accepted, you need to know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask the experts about this outstanding business school.

I also want to welcome our Cornell guests. Joining us today are:

• Randall Sawyer, Director of Admissions, Financial Aid and Inclusion
  • Ann Richards, Associate Director of Admissions, Director of Financial Aid
  • Christine Sneva, Assistant Director of Admissions
  • Laurie Shunney, Assistant Director of Admissions

Thanks to everyone for joining

Pavit (Dec 14, 2009 12:00:17 PM)
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to chat with us. Randall, great to chat with you again, I was wondering if you could provide some insight on when we can expect to receive interview invites if we applied Round 2.

jug (Dec 14, 2009 12:00:24 PM)
Hi Christine, are the Admissions rolling? What are the time-lines for R2 applicants to get interview calls?

Jose HM (Dec 14, 2009 12:00:35 PM)
Ann: What's the typical percentage granted through financial aid?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:00:42 PM)
Hi Pavit --nice to hear from you! We are deciding Round Ones over the next few days and Round Two interview invites have started to go out...we have a good size to Round 2 and will be working through it in the next several weeks--

Unique_Impact (Dec 14, 2009 12:00:57 PM)
Laurie: What is the next best way to gain insight into the Johnson way of life for an international applicant, who might not be able to travel to the Ithaca campus?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:01:16 PM)
Hi Jug - we are in the middle of deciding Round 1; however, Round 2 applicants can expect to hear from us until the day of notification which is February 16th.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:01:30 PM)
Jose, about 1/3 of our admitted students receive some type of scholarship, and about 90% receive some kind of financial aid (scholarship and/or loan).

JohnsonHopeful (Dec 14, 2009 12:01:34 PM)
Christine: Do you feel that, historically, one's GMAT score has been a good indicator of success at Johnson?

jug (Dec 14, 2009 12:01:47 PM)
Randall: What are some of the strengths/unique selling points of the school that you think is not evident in the school website?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:02:03 PM)
Unique_Impact: I recommend connecting with students via the Student Search within the Admissions Portal and reviewing the list of clubs to contact the club officers in areas that interest you.

Jeet (Dec 14, 2009 12:02:17 PM)
Laurie: I have already applied in the first Round and am awaiting the decision. By when will the decision be sent out?

blg (Dec 14, 2009 12:02:42 PM)
Christine: Cornell is famous for consulting. Why then, do 20% of graduates go to consulting while 40% go in to finance, even in such a financially "down" year? Is Cornell more of a finance school?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:02:49 PM)
Johnson Hopeful - it isn't a predictor of job potential/employability; however, it is a good predictor for first semester GPA and how students will do in our core. We need to look very closely at this because students who do poorly risk not being in a desired immersion.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:02:55 PM)
Jeet - We will release Round 1 decisions on the notification date - December 17th (this Thursday).

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:03:01 PM)
Hi Big, we really are a general management program with strengths in both industries. So many students end up changing direction while in business school and having that flexibility in our curriculum, is a real advantage.

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:03:11 PM)
Hi Jug--our website is quite comprehensive about such issues, however, I think that access to faculty is one strength that is not shown on the website. With small classes and open door policies, accessibility to faculty is better here than nearly any other b-school.

jeremy (Dec 14, 2009 12:03:56 PM)
Ann: I understand that interviews must be completed by December 17th for the notification deadline for R1 applications. Is there still time to receive an interview notification?

mbacheckmate (Dec 14, 2009 12:03:57 PM)
Randall: Has the application volume gone up this year? Can you please provide the stats for this year?

Gunangad (Dec 14, 2009 12:04:35 PM)
Laurie: Hi everyone, I got an email saying my application was under review. How much longer until you send out the interview invites? (I applied in Round 2.)

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:05:00 PM)
Jeremy, we extend interview invitations up until our notification date, so for Round 1 the date would be December 17th.

Elaine (Dec 14, 2009 12:05:44 PM)
Hi Christine, how do you evaluate work experience and what accomplishments do you expect applicants to achieve?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:05:47 PM)
Hi MBAcheckmate, volume is actually down this year. While down, it is still about our 5 year average. Round Three and Four are coming up and the buzz I am hearing about numbers for those is very good. Overall the application pool through Rounds 1 and 2 is academically stronger than last year's class.

sunny01 (Dec 14, 2009 12:06:00 PM)
Hi Randall, what is the percentage of students who will receive final admissions out of the ones who interviewed?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:06:26 PM)
Gunangad - We send interview invitations throughout each round. The notification date for Round 2 is February 16th and we will continue sending interview invitations until we release all of the final decisions.

jug (Dec 14, 2009 12:06:31 PM)
Ann: Are the interviews blind? How much importance is  given to the interview compared to the rest of the application - i.e. the essays, work experience and scores etc.?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:06:43 PM)
Hi sunny, last year about 40% of those interviewed received offers...this year's numbers remain to be seen from Round One.

Ram123 (Dec 14, 2009 12:06:49 PM)
Laurie: Hi, Thank you for hosting this chat. When will the Round-2 interview invites start going out? What percent of applicants in Round-2 got invited for interview?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:07:45 PM)
Hi Elaine, we look at work experience to the quality of what they have accomplished, progression, and how it is relevant to what you want to do. Accomplishments vary greatly - so it depends on your industry in terms of the type of accomplishment. Remember, we also look at your extracurricular, personal accomplishments you have been able to achieve as you experience growth in your career.

gverma_atl@bigred (Dec 14, 2009 12:07:49 PM)
Good afternoon Christine, it's good to "see" you again in this chat. I would like to know if admissions would like to be updated about additions to work responsibilities, or any client recommendation letters and personal updates - e.g. I was spearheading a seed fund for social enterprise.. and its capital has increased from 8k to 13k in the past month.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:07:55 PM)
Ram 123: We already started sending interview invitations and we will continue doing so as we review applications. We usually interview approximately 50% of applicants.

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:08:03 PM)
Hi Notle, we are looking for individuals who are academically curious, have a great sense of who they are & where they want to go and understand what they bring to the table in our community.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:08:07 PM)
Jug, we do conduct blind interviews, that is, your interviewer has only a copy of your resume and some notes from the folks who have reviewed your file. We don't have a formula or matrix, but your interview is important, it's the part of your application that allows you to show your personality and fit with our program.

Ben (Dec 14, 2009 12:08:26 PM)
Hi Randall, I read your interview with BusinessWeek saying that normally Round 3 is the biggest round at Johnson. Do you think the trend will be likely to continue this year?

djz (Dec 14, 2009 12:08:44 PM)
Laurie: How are letters of recommendation used by the Adcom? Does the Adcom see genuine cases of friction at work being representative of someone with strong opinions?

i2ich (Dec 14, 2009 12:08:59 PM)
Ann: Is there a major disadvantage for applicants who apply in Round 3 versus Rounds 1 or 2?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:09:00 PM)
Hi Gaurav, if you would like to send any update to your application processor, you can do so. We will review any item that is included in an applicant's file - this includes email updates.

Tina (Dec 14, 2009 12:09:17 PM)
Christine: Hello and thanks for taking time to answer our questions. If I'm applying in Round 3 am I assured an interview spot?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:09:30 PM)
Hi Ben, traditionally Round Three is the biggest of the four rounds and we expect the same this year.

Samiur Rahman Talukder (Dec 14, 2009 12:09:35 PM)
Greetings Randall - It's great to be able to chat with you for my first time, since I've watched your YouTube interviews and podcast sessions. I would like to know if Cornell has made any deliberative/focused efforts to attract young, MBA candidates. Based on the information I've read, I understand that undergraduate, Cornell students can directly enroll into the MBA program, but I would like to learn about more opportunities for students who did not study at Cornell. Also what loan/education financing options are now available for international students?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:11:03 PM)
Hi Tina, our interviews are invite-only, so interview spots are not guaranteed. Each applicant is given two independent reads before a decision is made to interview or not.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:11:08 PM)
Hi i2ich, there is no disadvantage to applying in round 3. We encourage candidates to submit their application when it's as strong as possible. If that's early - great, if it's in Round 3 it's OK. We make admission offers to strong candidates in each of our 4 application rounds.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:11:19 PM)
Djz: We truly value recommendations since they provide greater insight and unique perspectives. We usually consider specific comments from recommenders within the greater context of the application and work experience information.

enthusiastic_saurabh (Dec 14, 2009 12:12:10 PM)
Hi Christine: How are alumni interview as compared to telephonic chats with the Adcom?

jug (Dec 14, 2009 12:12:26 PM)
Ann: Approximately what percentage of admits are given in R1,  R2 and the next rounds?

IanL (Dec 14, 2009 12:12:54 PM)
Laurie: My application will not be submitted until right at the R2 deadline. Do you give favorable treatment to those applications that are received earlier in the process? Am I putting myself at a disadvantage?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:13:30 PM)
Hi Saurabh, an alumni interview is a great way for you to have an in-person discussion with someone from the Johnson School. Sometimes the choice between the two isn't possible, but if you have questions that you think only someone from the Adcom could answer, we are always available.

i2ich (Dec 14, 2009 12:13:43 PM)
Christine: What are some resources available to the GLBT community?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:13:50 PM)
Hi Samiur, nice to chat with you as well. We are looking to attract all candidates and we do have a 5 year half program that focuses on "straight-through"s or those individuals with less than 12 months full time working experience. Regardless of your undergraduate institution, you can apply to our program without work experience. Also, our international loan programs can be found on our website and I am pleased to announce that we expect our interest rates et al to be much better than last year.

Unique_Impact (Dec 14, 2009 12:13:53 PM)
Thanks Laurie...Hi Randall, could you please outline the interview process for us, I hear it’s not blind. Also, could you please clarify whether all methods used to conduct interviews - on campus, with alumni and via phone- are viewed equally?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:14:51 PM)
Hi i2ich, great question! You can start by reaching out to our Out for Business organization. This will connect you to current students and alumni in our LGBT community.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:15:03 PM)
Jug, we don't use a specific formula or quota for each round, but the average over the last couple of years has been 30, 30, 30, 10 percent of each round have been made offers of admission.

PresleyAMBA2011 (Dec 14, 2009 12:15:12 PM)
Ann: What are the criteria for full or partial scholarships?

Tina (Dec 14, 2009 12:15:19 PM)
Christine: As a follow up to Big's question, if I am not in finance or consulting but instead consumer products, does the Admission team approach my application differently because perhaps they haven't become familiar with the trajectory of careers in those industries? Also, what is the best way to educate the Admissions team on the industry, without sounding like a brochure?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:15:37 PM)
IanL: If you apply by midnight on January 12th, we will consider your application for Round 3. We consider all applications by Round, rather than by the date submitted, but we generally recommend submitting your application as soon as it is complete.

jeremy (Dec 14, 2009 12:16:03 PM)
Ann: Thanks for the clarification. That means I have hope until Thursday!

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:16:21 PM)
Hi Unique, we are invitation to interview only and blind interviews with resume and copy of our first read. Interviews can be done on campus with professional staff or trained students, via phone with professional staff or in person with alumni around the world. They all carry equal weight but due to fit and feel issues and to know our community, we recommend on campus if you have not visited.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:17:10 PM)
JohnsonHopeful: We review applications from candidates with a range of experiences. Finance, consulting, and marketing remain strong this year.

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:17:32 PM)
Hi Tina, the Adcom is comprised of many different individuals who come from a variety of fields including our Career Management Center staff. Many of us have been doing this for several years. If you feel there is a point that needs to be made, that is fine; however, keep in mind, that anything in question on our end will be addressed. Again, The Johnson School is a general management program and we see and work with a variety of industries.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:17:37 PM)
Presley, we take all components of your application into consideration when awarding scholarship - not only your GMAT and GPA, but your career achievements, personal activities, goals and endorsements of your recommenders. We can't afford to fully fund all worthy students, so the biggest awards are given to the candidates with strength in each area.

Elaine (Dec 14, 2009 12:17:47 PM)
Hi Christine, does Cornell offers off-campus interview?

enthusiastic_saurabh (Dec 14, 2009 12:17:51 PM)
Hi Ann, what happens if someone can't interview by decision notification date? Does that person get a decision with R2?

gverma_atl@bigred (Dec 14, 2009 12:18:03 PM)
Hi Randall, what qualities does the admissions committee look for in a candidate during the interview?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:18:39 PM)
Hi Elaine, you have 3 choices: 1)On-campus 2)Alumni interview in your area 3)Phone interview with an Adcom.

Dmittal (Dec 14, 2009 12:18:42 PM)
Laurie: By when will the employment stats of class of 2009 be available? The website gives employment stats for only the class of 2008.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:18:53 PM)
Dear Enthusiastic, if you can't schedule your interview by the notification date, we'll give you a decision within 7 days of your interview. We will not move you to the next round.

pramod (Dec 14, 2009 12:18:56 PM)
Ann: Does the chances of scholarships/financial aid go down in the third round?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:19:27 PM)
Hi Gverma, we assess about 20 aspects in our first and second reads of your file. During the interview, we look more closely at about 10 aspects of your personality and candidacy.

jug (Dec 14, 2009 12:19:33 PM)
Randall: Can you please elaborate on the school's strengths in High Technology and Entrepreneurship related areas?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:20:16 PM)
Hi Pramod, the chances of scholarship are the same for candidates in Round 3. Candidates who apply in Round 4 (our final round) are not considered for scholarship, but will still qualify for loan assistance.

Bilige (Dec 14, 2009 12:20:29 PM)
Hi Ann, I have finished my interview (though nervous). Is there anything else I can do in these days before the final decision?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:20:51 PM)
Dmittal: I recommend contacting the Career Management Center for the 2009 employment data. Feel free to call 607-255-4888 or email a member of the CMC staff.

Sue (Dec 14, 2009 12:21:01 PM)
Laurie: Is it better to visit now before the Round 3 application deadline, or to wait until classes are in session?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:21:43 PM)
Sue: I recommend visiting when you can also attend a class and information session. This will provide the greatest opportunity for the full Johnson School experience.

Beatrice (Dec 14, 2009 12:21:58 PM)
Laurie: For someone applying in Round 3, do they have to meet higher expectations than those admitted in prior rounds? Do the prior rounds set a bar?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:21:58 PM)
Hi Ryan, as you probably know we do have a straight-through program for those with less than one year of work experience. With that said, these students are very competitive with key internships in their industry. Without more detail into your background, I really cannot say what your next step should be. My recommendation would be to contact some current MBA's and do some informal interviews to get a sense of how you compare with the current class.

Danny Wnek (Dec 14, 2009 12:22:05 PM)
Christine: I want to go into a specialized consulting field after graduation, and I know there are professors at Cornell outside of the Johnson school who have expertise in that field. Do students at the Johnson school ever work with faculty in other colleges at Cornell while getting their MBA? Is that something I'd be able to work into my MBA studies?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:22:08 PM)
Jug--we have very strong connections with Cornell's bio and nano-tech space as well as Entrepreneurship Cornell. Not only is there access to great research and cutting edge technology, but we also provide platforms for technology transfer, movement of product to market for budding entrepreneurs and access to PE and VC space.

ashy (Dec 14, 2009 12:22:20 PM)
Randall, you mentioned about small classes at Cornell. What student-professor ratio are we talking about?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:22:23 PM)
Hi Bilge! I'm glad you're here. The toughest part of the application process is waiting for the final decision! The only thing you could do is keep us updated if any developments occur in your career or extracurricular activities.

akashvin (Dec 14, 2009 12:22:33 PM)
Ann: If someone doesn't get an interview invitation by Dec 17th, is the candidate waitlisted or rolled over to the next round? I applied in Round 1.

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:23:15 PM)
Hi Danny Wnek, yes! One of the many strengths of JS is that you have flexibility in your curriculum. You will be able to utilize all of Cornell's resources by working with faculty and other contacts, as well as taking their courses.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:23:34 PM)
Beatrice: While the competition increases with each round, we will recognize strong applicants across all rounds. We fill the class as we review applications each year, but we accept a variety of strong candidates during round 3.

djz (Dec 14, 2009 12:23:37 PM)
Laurie: What is the USP (unique selling points) of the Johnson school compared to other peer schools?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:24:13 PM)
Hi Ashy, we are at about 10:1 or 9:1 students to tenured or tenured-track faculty.

sunny01 (Dec 14, 2009 12:25:35 PM)
Hi Randall, do you waitlist people after interviews and if so, how many are waitlisted on an average?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:25:36 PM)
Hi Harry, the third round is our largest; however, we really cannot predict what the acceptance rate will be. In the past in years, where our applications were up, round 3 had a lower acceptance rate than rounds 1 and 2. With that said, the applicants we see in rounds 1 and 2 tend to be stronger and therefore, contribute to a higher acceptance rate.

CornellWannabe (Dec 14, 2009 12:25:43 PM)
Christine: how does Cornell view the applications of couples applying together (in the same round and in different rounds)?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:25:46 PM)
Akashvin, generally, students who do not receive an invitation to interview are not admitted to the program. There are situations where we may "roll over" an applicant to a later round, but it's rare. Candidates will receive a decision on the notification deadline, or as mentioned above, if they can't arrange an interview before the notification deadline, within 7 days of their interview.

Jeremy Vernetti (Dec 14, 2009 12:25:50 PM)
Ann, have applicants in certain job disciplines been going up for the class of 2011? Finance, Manufacturing, Marketing?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:26:22 PM)
Djz: The Johnson School is an excellent general management program with an amazing collaborative community of students, unique opportunities for applied learning, a flexible curriculum, and Cornell connections.

Li (Dec 14, 2009 12:26:44 PM)
Hi, Laurie, I just finished my interview with Larry last Monday. Wonderful talk we had! He suggested that I go to the campus to have a look and I think I will do so. If there are no class-visits due to the exams, what kind of activities could I join there?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:27:47 PM)
CornellWannabe, we will look at the applicants as a couple. We will not give a different decision for one over the other. In other words, either both are accepted or denied.

Elaine (Dec 14, 2009 12:27:55 PM)
Hi Christine: In terms of extracurricular activities, does volunteering experience with local communities and sports activities count?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:28:15 PM)
Hi Sunny01, after the interview there are four options: 1-offer  2-conditional offer  3-waitlist and 4-deny. We do track how many get waitlisted or denied per round.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:28:21 PM)
Hi Jeremy, we haven't seen an increase in applications from any particular career or area, except for candidates applying directly from undergrad. We do NOT plan to increase the number of candidates admitted without prior work experience.

LawrenceFL (Dec 14, 2009 12:28:28 PM)
Hi Ann, nice to see you here. We had lunch at the Miami MAPS seminar. I'd like to know if it is common for Financial Aid awards to be reduced after the first year.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:28:33 PM)
Li: Students recently completed courses for this semester and many of them will leave for break this week. If you would like to learn more about the student experience, I recommend contacting students by email or visiting during the Spring semester. You can find students and recent alumni who share your interests by utilizing the Student Search feature within the Admissions Portal and/or reviewing the list of clubs and contacting the club officers.

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:28:54 PM)
Hi Elaine, of course! We consider anything you do outside of work as extracurricular.

CU_MEng_'04 (Dec 14, 2009 12:28:58 PM)
Laurie: I am currently applying Round 2 but am undecided on what program. I was wondering if you believed there were any trade offs in attending the accelerated program vs. the 2-year degree. How soon should I make this decision?

Bilige (Dec 14, 2009 12:29:13 PM)
Christine, among those who get interviewed, what is the rough percentage of acceptances in Round 1 from China? It seems Johnson sent lots of interview invitations here.

Sandeep Sharma (Dec 14, 2009 12:29:28 PM)
Hi Randall. Have you seen any recruitment activity from the energy sector this year?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:29:50 PM)
Hi Lawrence, we make our awards for two years, so your award won't be reduced in your second year.

sid_MBA (Dec 14, 2009 12:30:01 PM)
Ann: How does Johnson look at applicants with less work experience, say 2-3 years...as compared to those around the average of 5 years?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:30:06 PM)
Hi Bilige - at this point, we cannot say how many will be accepted since we just started reviewing today. Final decisions will be made by Thursday.

klughing (Dec 14, 2009 12:30:10 PM)
Hi Christine, how can I best use my time before applying next year?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:30:22 PM)
CU_MEng_04: Feel free to contact me directly and we can schedule a time to speak in detail about both programs.

Elaine (Dec 14, 2009 12:30:56 PM)
Hi Laurie, in terms of recommendations, besides the requirement that the person providing recommendation is a previous or current supervisor, do you give more importance towards the recommendation from people in a big organization or someone has a reputation in the Johnson's community?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:31:13 PM)
Hi Sandeep, I must admit I have not heard from the CMC any indications about recruitment activity from the energy sector, so no news to report. However, if you'll send me an email offline I'll be happy to forward it to CMC so they can give you/us updated info.

RK (Dec 14, 2009 12:31:20 PM)
Randall, I wanted to know if you would be notifying R1 applicants over the phone as is the case in some cities in previous years?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:31:24 PM)
Hi Klughing, great question! You're taking the right steps already by getting on the chats and reviewing other common questions from current applicants. Organizing your search in terms of what business school you are targeting and contacting their current students and alumni is a great way to begin analyzing your "fit."

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:32:26 PM)
Hi Sid_MBA, we look for candidates with professional achievements and accomplishments. Candidates with 1 or 2 years of experience can still have pretty dynamic achievements. We look for drive and initiative, which often translates into achievements!

jug (Dec 14, 2009 12:32:31 PM)
Ann: Can the school help the students through arranging Loans without a U.S. co-signor for international applicants?

Tina (Dec 14, 2009 12:32:39 PM)
Christine: Cornell is my top choice but, unlike other applicants, I haven't been in contact with admissions. Since I will be applying in R3, am I at a disadvantage in that I haven't made informal contact with Admissions and should I start contacting admissions even though my application is not yet ready?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:32:47 PM)
Hi RK--we will be notifying Round One offers by phone and expect to speak with every offer we make to share the great news and answer any questions you might have so everyone should be sure to keep their phones on between now and Thursday. If you see "restricted" calls come in, pick up your phone!

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:33:06 PM)
Elaine: Thanks for your question. We generally look for recommendations from those who can provide the most insight about your professional abilities and unique personal abilities, regardless of their titles or the size of the organizations. We certainly value recommendations from those who attended the Johnson School since they can provide excellent insight based on their knowledge of the program and our community.

RK (Dec 14, 2009 12:33:11 PM)
Laurie, can you tell us approximately the number of applicants you receive in each round?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:34:11 PM)
Hi Klughing, I'd also encourage you to keep an accomplishment/achievement journal - once a week record what your achievements and accomplishments were during the past week. This will make it easier for you to write your essays when you begin the application process.

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:34:13 PM)
HI Tina, I don't think you are necessarily at a disadvantage; however, it is good to have your questions answered and make some contact. By doing the chat, you certainly are being active with the Adcom!

sid_MBA (Dec 14, 2009 12:34:15 PM)
Ann, are financial aid decisions released along with admission decisions?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:34:17 PM)
RK: We received about 2,300 applications last year. In general, the size of Rounds 1, 2, and 3 are fairly similar. Round 4 generally remains small.

jug (Dec 14, 2009 12:34:20 PM)
Christine: What percentage of students takes up the non-finance immersions? Do you base your admission decisions on having an even spreads across the different immersions that you provide?

CU_MEng_'04 (Dec 14, 2009 12:34:24 PM)
Laurie: I am a former Cornell Grad M.S. '03, MEng '04. Do you think this will work to my advantage? I know that many schools are looking for individuals with a range of experiences. Still, I already know I love Ithaca and Cornell.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:34:50 PM)
Jug, we can't arrange for you to get a U.S. co-signer, but we do have non-co-signer loans for our international students.

LuisaV (Dec 14, 2009 12:34:56 PM)
This question is for Ann: By when should a prospective student complete the FAFSA?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:35:32 PM)
CU_MEng_'04: We certainly love to see applications from former Cornell students, especially if they love Ithaca and the environment here. This often provides insight in terms of fit, but it is only one factor in the overall review of an application. Between 10-15% of students in each class at the Johnson School hold previous degrees from Cornell

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:35:37 PM)
Hi Jug, students do let us know what immersion the INTEND to pursue; however, we understand that this can certainly change. Therefore, we don't base our decisions on restricting a certain number for an intended immersion percentage.

i2ich (Dec 14, 2009 12:35:42 PM)
Laurie: Cornell's location may be of concern to some students; how does Johnson compare with regard to being able to bring in resources and recruiters from other areas?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:36:06 PM)
Sid_MBA, our scholarship decisions are released along with our admissions decision, but loan awards and a traditional financial aid package is sent out during the spring semester.

mbacheckmate (Dec 14, 2009 12:36:29 PM)
Ann: What differentiates Cornell from other business schools?

CU_MEng_'04 (Dec 14, 2009 12:37:00 PM)
Christine: In addition to elaborating on CU's strength in technology could you provide some information on what % of an incoming class has a technical background? Engineering or Science?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:37:10 PM)
LuisaV, the FAFSA should be completed after January 1, 2010. More details and complete instructions for applying for scholarships and loans are on our website.

Samiur Rahman Talukder (Dec 14, 2009 12:37:15 PM)
Thank you Randall. I also have a few questions with respect to the essays. In the section on "How will the Johnson School help you achieve this goal." is it okay to specifically mention how I've been inspired by Cornell visionaries, such as, Alex Counts of the Grameen Foundation and Yusuf Talal Lorenzo who's pursuing a career as a Shari'a compliant officer? Based on my research, I've learned that Cornell has a track record and reputation in the fields of economic development/poverty alleviation, agriculture among others that other schools don't really. Second, the last essay that asks the candidate to write the contents of a book, has a word limit of 400 words - I personally find that extremely lengthy and was wondering if it's appropriate/okay to keep it to 100-200 words, or if there's more to it/in between the lines that I haven't been able to interpret.

Techpro (Dec 14, 2009 12:37:39 PM)
Ann:  I have a telecom background of 10+ years and will be applying for the AMBA. Can you tell us which technology companies have recruited in the past at the Johnson School?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:37:47 PM)
CU_MEng_'04, approximately 20% of the class.

Tina (Dec 14, 2009 12:38:07 PM)
Christine: As a follow up to Gvernma's question, if you could distill the qualifications of the ideal Johnson MBA student, what would those attributes be?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:38:17 PM)
Samiur--yes and yes good luck!

Alessandra (Dec 14, 2009 12:38:23 PM)
Hi Randall, does Cornell value applicants interested in dual degrees? Does the Johnson School Adcom communicate with the other graduate programs regarding specific applicants? I know that each school makes their decisions individually but I am wondering if they communicate during the admissions process.

Sue (Dec 14, 2009 12:38:32 PM)
Thank you, Laurie. I was not sure if not having visited yet was a black mark on one's application.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:39:01 PM)
I2ich: Ithaca is a wonderful place to live and the environment here contributes to the collaborative dynamic. In terms of recruiting, many companies send recruiters here for on-campus interviews. Students also visit NYC by bus or car to complete interviews and they visit other areas like Boston, NYC, and San Francisco etc. with Just About Jobs.

Tina (Dec 14, 2009 12:39:05 PM)
Laurie: Does input from an active member of the Johnson Alumni network ever help someone's application?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:39:23 PM)
Techpro, please forward an email to me offline and I'll forward it to our CMC folks and they will get back to you.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:39:31 PM)
Tina: We absolutely appreciate feedback from Johnson School alumni.

CornellWannabe (Dec 14, 2009 12:39:43 PM)
Laurie: I understand that those who receive an admit receive phone calls from the Adcom. But what happens with international applicants?

djz (Dec 14, 2009 12:39:57 PM)
Randall: What are the focus areas for the school in the upcoming year?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:40:00 PM)
MBACheckmate, there are a lot of schools that offer a great business education, but each has its own unique culture and community. You will get the best education and have the best experience at the program that is the best fit for you. At the Johnson School we have a close, collaborative community. Students who like to work in teams, and are driven & collaborative seem drawn to the Johnson School.

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:40:20 PM)
Hi Tina, when I look at our current class, the attributes that come to mind are ambitious, professional, focused, humble, poise......our students define our culture and as part of the Adcom, we strive to continue to cultivate the character of the class.

Jim Rumpf (Dec 14, 2009 12:40:23 PM)
Christine: You mentioned immersions a bit earlier in the chat. I was wondering what percentage of this fall's first year students will be in a customized immersion program this spring. Or, if that isn't yet known, what percentage of students customize their immersion in a typical year? Also, when during the first year does that final decision need to be made? Thanks very much for your time!

CU_MEng_'04 (Dec 14, 2009 12:40:29 PM)
Ann, are campus visits recorded? Does this affect your application?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:40:32 PM)
CornellWannabe: We try to connect with international candidates whenever possible (even when this means late nights in the office during decision weeks). We LOVE sharing the news with candidates who will become a part of the community.

Ashutosh (Dec 14, 2009 12:40:44 PM)
Laurie: How do you convert a GPA on a scale to 10 to a scale of four?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:40:49 PM)
Hi Alessandra, we have a very strong dual degree population who are valued in our community. We do not really communicate with other schools as we each make our own decisions.

mbacheckmate (Dec 14, 2009 12:41:09 PM)
Randall, what percentage of the students go into the Entrepreneurship immersion?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:41:12 PM)
Ashutosh: We do not convert GPA information, but review the grading scale from each institution when reviewing applications.

Amyn (Dec 14, 2009 12:41:48 PM)
Hi Laurie – Have you seen a bigger pool of international applicants this year (so far)?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:42:24 PM)
Hi Jim Rumpf, typically about 20% of the class will choose to customize. Our registrar office manages when this decision needs to be made, but typically by the end of the semester. You do need to have certain grades for specific immersions (e.g. for investment banking, you need at least a B in finance).

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:42:24 PM)
Amyn: The pool of international applicants remains strong this year.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:42:40 PM)
CU_MEng_'04, we don't formally record a campus visit for use in our admit decision, but it never hurts to connect with someone - a student, faculty or staff member if you do visit.

Mike Majestic (Dec 14, 2009 12:42:51 PM)
Christine: Are applicants with a non-math intensive college and professional background at a disadvantage despite showing high scores on the quant portion of their GMAT?

Cenk (Dec 14, 2009 12:43:14 PM)
Hi Laurie: Could you tell me little bit about the Johnson School's SSO program ? Is there a separate application for this program?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:43:29 PM)
Djz--we'll be focusing our efforts on improving our second year curriculum based on feedback from our students; we are in the process of completing the tactical aspects of our strategy plan; and will continue to work hard in the CMC arena to help our students get great position in the business world.

Alessandra (Dec 14, 2009 12:43:36 PM)
Randall: What is a conditional offer?

RK (Dec 14, 2009 12:43:37 PM)
Randall, can you elaborate on some of the T&C's of a Conditional Offer?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:43:49 PM)
Hi Mike, absolutely not - the GMAT is a recent reflection and it is good to see well-rounded applicants. It's not just about the analytical portion, but we want to see that you can handle the verbal and writing sections.

klughing (Dec 14, 2009 12:43:52 PM)
Hi Christine, continuing on Elaine's question, how should you present sports activities in your application?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:45:05 PM)
Hi MBA checkmate, about 5-10 percent go into EPE. However, many of those interested in EPE choose a customized immersion, so that number is not really accurate as to the number of entrepreneurs we have here.

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:45:10 PM)
Hi Klughing, there is an extracurricular section in the application and if it's part of your "interests" that you continue to do, you can include this briefly on your resume. It can add a personal dimension to your resume.

Greg2Ithaca (Dec 14, 2009 12:45:12 PM)
Randall: Can you discuss how you evaluate an applicant’s GMAT scores? Can quantitative work experience, a strong undergrad record and/or the CFA compensate for a low quantitative GMAT score?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:45:15 PM)
Cenk: The SSO immersion provides an opportunity for learning more about operations. This includes coursework focused on logistics and about 20 company visits (to learn more about practical applications). Immersions are curriculum options available in the second semester of the first year. All Johnson School students may participate in an immersion and registration occurs in October of the first semester.

jug (Dec 14, 2009 12:45:26 PM)
Christine: Do you provide feedback to the denied candidates?

djz (Dec 14, 2009 12:45:44 PM)
Laurie: What steps are being taken at Johnson to truly internationalize the alumni network?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:46:05 PM)
We don't look any differently at a Cornell alum. We do want diversity in the class we admit, so we take a variety of factors into consideration when making an offer. We do see a lot of Cornell alumni apply to the Johnson School and the fact that you know the University and location may be an asset.

gverma_atl@bigred (Dec 14, 2009 12:46:10 PM)
Hi Ann, does the Adcom appreciate reference letters about candidates from faculty, alumni or current students?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:46:38 PM)
Hi Alessandra, a conditional offer is one whereby you have an offer, but need to take another step to meet a condition. Usually it is a retake of the GMAT or take a class to prove quant ability. You have an offer and once the condition is met, you enter the class.

sid_MBA (Dec 14, 2009 12:46:46 PM)
Randall, business week has reported that recently, employers are shying away from the younger grads and moving towards more experienced ones... was this trend visible at Cornell?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:47:11 PM)
Hi Jug, we do provide feedback to those who are feedback eligible. If denied, you will need to email mba@cornell.edu so that we can go back and review your file to decide if someone will provide feedback. Due to the heavy admissions cycle, we can only do this over the summer months.

RK (Dec 14, 2009 12:47:15 PM)
Randall: Any calls from a "restricted" or 607 Area code will be picked up promptly :) Thank you for the response!

Aspirant-12 (Dec 14, 2009 12:47:37 PM)
Christine: Could you please provide some insights into the Johnson School’s focus on entrepreneurship?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:47:55 PM)
Djz: Johnson School alumni already work though out the world. We continually focus on involving alumni in international study trips and fostering connections through regional clubs throughout the world.

Ying (Dec 14, 2009 12:48:00 PM)
Hi Laurie. I have an interest in education consulting. In addition to the curriculum, are there any other resources in Johnson that will help with my career?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:48:41 PM)
Greg2Ithaca, great name! We like to see 65% or better on the quant portion as that is an indicator of minimum success in the Core. We also want strong verbal and AWA. And yes, all of those can compensate for a lower GMAT score, we look at who you are and what you bring to the table, not just your scores.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:48:50 PM)
Gverma_atl@bigred, we would prefer your primary letters of recommendation be from a supervisor or manager. You can provide supplemental recommendations from faculty, peers or alumni if you feel their perspective would add value to your application.

klughing (Dec 14, 2009 12:49:21 PM)
Hi Ann, weekly accomplishment journal...that's a good idea!

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:49:42 PM)
Hi Aspirant -12, we have a strong entrepreneurial network here - aside from the immersion and our entrepreneurs-in-residence, you will find many classmates that have started, currently have, or will be starting a business. Our BRV and BRI organizations work with our entrepreneurs on business plans, ideas, markets, and etc. as well as financing. I highly recommend reaching out to these organizations.

Samiur Rahman Talukder (Dec 14, 2009 12:49:47 PM)
Christine: I have a question with respect to non-profits. I am interested in opportunities in the microfinance/social enterprise space, but currently I also serve on the board of a non-profit organization and ideally, I would like to strengthen my management, leadership and social skills pertaining to board level management (e.g. capital/fund raising, networking with potential board advisers and members etc.)  Does Cornell have opportunities or programs that place students on the boards of non-profits during the summer or as part of internship/immersion learning programs?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:49:52 PM)
Ying: The consulting club and the consulting passport provide excellent guidance for students who would like to enter consulting. This includes opportunities for connecting with consulting firms early and learning from classmates with similar interests and experiences. Larry Wasser in the Career Management Center also focuses on consulting placements.

followthedream (Dec 14, 2009 12:50:00 PM)
Laurie, have you accepted international students with a TOEFL score lower than a 100? Is 100 a must? What is the role of the TOEFL score in decision process?

CU_MEng_'04 (Dec 14, 2009 12:50:14 PM)
I2ich, as a former Cornell Graduate, I can tell you from first hand experience that the career fairs are well attended. You'll find recruiters from all over the country and all over the world.

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:50:59 PM)
SidMBA, we have had very good success in the past with those who have little to no work experience, however as the market has changed tremendously in the past 18 months, we are not sure what the future will bring. That being said, our people with little to no work experience continue to do well in the employment space at both the internship and full time offer level.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:51:16 PM)
Followthedream: 100 is a benchmark for a TOEFL, but we also look at English skills during interviews. In some cases, we require completion of the summer language program at Cornell if we remain concerned about a candidate's English language abilities.

Alessandra (Dec 14, 2009 12:51:24 PM)
Hi Randall, My question is in regards to Essay #3. Is it ok to add a "Preface" to my "Table of Contents", or should I stick to the "Table of Contents"?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:51:38 PM)
Hi Caomuruzhi, Round 1 calls have not started.

shakir (Dec 14, 2009 12:51:40 PM)
Hi Laurie: Pleasure to meet you! I have a media and technology background and am interested in, short term, going into strategy consulting within the Media and Entertainment sector. There are two paths I can take: 1) Semester in Strategic Operations or 2) Strategic Marketing with Consulting Focus. Do you know the benefits/costs of either immersion paths comparatively speaking. I am trying to uncover if there is a hidden benefit or qualitative advantage in choosing an Immersion with "Consulting focus"? Please advise.

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:52:16 PM)
Alessandra, you can do what you like with Essay 3; it is all about being creative!

Li (Dec 14, 2009 12:52:27 PM)
Randall: Thanks for answering my first question. Here is a question about the immersion learning: Can students choose two or more programs to join? I am interested in Strategic Marketing, but since I also have a plan for my own business, I am also interested in the program of Entrepreneurship. Is that possible for me to take them both?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:53:15 PM)
Samiur, we do have an organization called Board Fellows, that works with our students looking for opportunities to work with non-profits. The non-profit sector is very broad and would be hard to establish as a single immersion. You need something tangible - whether it's in social enterprise and working within the non-profit arm of a consulting company for example, who are looking to expand in Africa and need someone with a technical background. Getting an internship with a non-profit will depend on your previous background and what the organization is looking for in terms of that expertise.

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:53:20 PM)
Li, you cannot choose two or more immersions, only one, but you can choose concentrations in your second year that will give you a good number of classes in different areas.

klughing (Dec 14, 2009 12:53:29 PM)
Randall: Any advice on how to get in touch with current MBA students? I'm already trying to use my network everywhere, but sometimes it's still hard because I'm on the West Coast.

Tina (Dec 14, 2009 12:53:56 PM)
Laurie, as a follow up to my prior questions regarding Johnson alumni, how do you treat input from current Johnson MBA students in the application process? Is it appropriate and can it be helpful?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:54:08 PM)
Klughing, check out our Johnson School Admissions Ambassadors online. There you will find a lot of our students and please reach out to them directly!

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:54:11 PM)
Shakir: I would recommend connecting with students who recently completed these immersions since they could provide the greatest insight about these experiences. It is also important to note that students have the opportunity to connect with faculty and the career management center staff prior to selecting their immersions during the fall semester. This allows them an opportunity for learning more about the programs in order to select the best immersion for their goals.

LuisaV (Dec 14, 2009 12:54:25 PM)
Laurie: This question is regarding the Consortium. If we have specific examples of our experiences at Johnson to answer the first three essays, but can't (because we have to keep them generic) what do you suggest when a prospective student wants to show his/her interest in the school? Please advise.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:54:36 PM)
Tina: We certainly consider notes from current students.

Alessandra (Dec 14, 2009 12:54:48 PM)
Hi Randall- which immersion program do you suggest for someone interested in real estate development?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:55:31 PM)
Alessandra, customized with picking classes from each immersion.

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:56:14 PM)
Hi Joana, after the summer of the core, AMBA's can start working with the organizations they are interested in to join. Obviously, you may have an idea before the summer, but once the second year class returns, the organizations will start their programming. This way you won't miss a thing!

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:56:21 PM)
LuisaV: You can certainly send additional information to your application manager if it will provide greater insight about you. We will also have an opportunity to learn more about you and your interest in the Johnson School if you receive an interview invitation after our initial review of your application.

sunny01 (Dec 14, 2009 12:56:51 PM)
Hi Laurie, the students who make it will be notified through calls but what about the ones who are waitlisted? How will they be informed?

enthusiastic_saurabh (Dec 14, 2009 12:57:05 PM)
Ann: Is the non U.S. cosigner loan guaranteed to admitted students? Does it include just tuition or other miscellaneous expenses too?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:57:39 PM)
Sunny01: All applicants will receive decision letters via the application system. You can login to your application account on Thursday to view the letter.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:58:23 PM)
International students without a U.S. credit history can borrow up to the cost of tuition without a co-signer. If you have a U.S. credit history, the bank will perform a credit evaluation on you before approving your loan.

sid_MBA (Dec 14, 2009 12:58:39 PM)
Randall, how does Adcom look at the AWA score?

Unique_Impact (Dec 14, 2009 12:58:44 PM)
Hi Ann, great to see you here, you were really generous with your time during the MBA tour at Mumbai back in September. What is the one thing that you would want Johnson School to be better known for, than what it is at present?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:59:38 PM)
The Johnson School offers an excellent combination of cases and lectures. This provides an opportunity for learning theory and applying it to real world situations. Dean Thomas always says "There is nothing as practical as a good theory."

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 12:59:53 PM)
Hi Simran, if you are applying in Round 3, then you have time to submit and take your TOEFL before we would need to go through a final review. We must receive your TOEFL by February 16th or your application will be moved to Round 4.

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:00:11 PM)
Cltmba--we have a marketing trek that students just left for yesterday. We have a consulting class that has marketing aspects as well, and of course our internship. In addition, the Brand Immersion has field trips and real life problems to solve for different corporations.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:00:23 PM)
Unique, I think I'd like to dispel the notion that Ithaca is isolated. We have a great airport, served by 3 major airlines - in fact I flew home from Mumbai with only a flight change in Newark. We have no difficulty getting speakers or recruiters to visit campus.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:00:27 PM)
We also offer a fantastic community and outstanding Cornell Connections (especially with the opportunity for electives throughout the University).

Alessandra (Dec 14, 2009 1:00:29 PM)
Hi Randall- can you please clarify the materials given to an interviewer? What does first read include?

Ron (Dec 14, 2009 1:00:36 PM)
Laurie: Is it a drawback that my GMAT score is really lopsided toward verbal?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:01:38 PM)
Sid, we look at it differently for international and domestic students. We want AWA to be strong in both cases, but if one is lower or very low, then we pay closer attention to the application essays.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:01:57 PM)
Ron: We will look closely at your GMAT score, including the section scores. We look for at least a 65% or higher on the quant section in most cases since this correlates with performance in the core courses.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:02:35 PM)
Hi Alessandra, the interviewer has a copy of your resume and notes from the primary readers of your application. The "first read " includes a complete review of your application materials, including your essays, letters of recommendation, scores and transcripts.

LawrenceFL (Dec 14, 2009 1:03:24 PM)
Hi Randall, what class do you most recommend taking to prove quant ability?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:03:57 PM)
Hi LawrenceFL, we recommend Finance, Statistics or Accounting. MBA Math works as well.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:04:05 PM)
Hi Taka, you can apply for many dual degree programs during your first year in the MBA program. If this is something you are considering, you may want to reach out to the other program now, just to make sure you'll meet all their qualifications.

Sue (Dec 14, 2009 1:04:23 PM)
Ann: A follow up to the "chapter titles" essay, do you desire a candid of view of an applicant's life or a targeted self-marketing piece that leaves out some personal events?

gobigred! (Dec 14, 2009 1:05:00 PM)
Randall: Would a conditional offer ever be based on attaining additional work experience?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:05:25 PM)
Hi Gobigred.....most likely not.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:05:41 PM)
Sue: We absolutely love candid responses in the chapter titles response. They provide a personal touch to the application.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:05:50 PM)
Hi Franco, please send me a note about your situation, especially why you need to take the test again. We'll add it to your application materials. We don't want to penalize you due to circumstances outside of your control.

howrwe (Dec 14, 2009 1:06:05 PM)
Ann: I wanted to know if non-cosigner loans are easier to come by for international students this year?

Farouq Tuweiq (Dec 14, 2009 1:06:42 PM)
Randall/Christine, good to be with you today: What % of people waitlisted are eventually admitted? At what point do they come off the waitlist?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:07:08 PM)
Howrwe, our program is the same this year as it was last year, although the interest rate has dropped for borrowers this year.

mbacheckmate (Dec 14, 2009 1:08:03 PM)
Ann: I have a low AWA but a strong verbal score. Will my low AWA score hinder my acceptance into Cornell?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:08:04 PM)
Hi Farouq, the percentage of waitlisted students eventually admitted changes each year..and they can come off the waitlist on opening day of orientation.

Alan (Dec 14, 2009 1:08:18 PM)
Hello Randall: When do we expect to receive R2 interview invites?

Samiur Rahman Talukder (Dec 14, 2009 1:09:57 PM)
Randall: Are there international learning opportunities with Universities abroad - e.g. joint partnerships between Cornell and perhaps Universities in the UK and Europe?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:10:20 PM)
Hi Mbacheckmate, your AWA measures your ability to frame an argument, or make a case, so it's really not connected to your verbal score. We like to see candidates with a score of 5 or above in the AWA.

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:10:33 PM)
Hi Alan, we are completing our Round One decisions most of this week, some Round Two invites have gone out but only a few. We are closed from December 25th - January 3rd, so there will be a lull there for invites. That being said, Round Two invites can go out up until Feb 16th, 2010.

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:10:40 PM)
Samiur, we have an academic exchange program that allows you to study at one of our partner institutions that includes several in the UK and Europe.

Tina (Dec 14, 2009 1:10:44 PM)
Randall: Thank you Cornell for extending this chat. Perhaps this question is redundant, but what can an applicant do to impress upon the Admissions team that Cornell is in fact, a perfect fit for the applicant for a multitude of reasons (to be specified in the application) and it's essentially Cornell or bust?

CU_MEng_'04 (Dec 14, 2009 1:10:59 PM)
Laurie, I have a short video an associate and myself created for work. It was shown at a company event to explain how our department functions. It's creative, funny and an entertaining explanation of my work function. Would this be appropriate to include or should I stick to Essay 3 for creativity?

Akhil (Dec 14, 2009 1:11:16 PM)
Thanks Cornell team. I have regularly noticed you folks staying past the allotted time to answer questions for prospective students..be it at MBA tours or other events. Thanks so much.

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:11:42 PM)
Hi Simran, I just answered this question above. If you are applying for Round 3, you must submit a TOEFL score by February 16th (notification day for Round 2) or you will be moved into Round 4.

Aspirant-12 (Dec 14, 2009 1:11:55 PM)
Christine: Besides my main focus on business, I am also interested in public policy in the future. Could you please provide me some insights as to how the Johnson School or Cornell University can aid my learning in this area?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:12:13 PM)
CU_MEng_04: I would recommend creating a new response for the chapter titles essay since we truly value details about your personal story.

LuisaV (Dec 14, 2009 1:12:33 PM)
Laurie, what do you mean by application manager?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:12:35 PM)
Hi Ashish, we like to see a candidate attempt to strengthen their GMAT score, if they feel their original attempt doesn't accurately reflect their ability. Multiple attempts without significant improvement wouldn't help your application, but I wouldn't say it has an adverse effect on your application.

purnama (Dec 14, 2009 1:13:28 PM)
Ann: Are there any hands on project/experience that we could participate in the first semester right away? Or would the rigorous core curriculum typically consume all of our 1st semester time?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:13:33 PM)
Hi Tina, we are glad to be here and glad to extend the time. I think the best way to impress upon us that we are your top choice is to just say it. Use the optional essay to discuss it and then reiterate it in the interview. But be sure we are your choice. I have had people tell me that we are their top choice and after we make an offer they go elsewhere. I end up calling some of those people and ask them why they told me one thing and did another. The calls are a bit uncomfortable for them.

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:13:54 PM)
Aspirant-12, We do have a public policy program here at the university, so I encourage you to reach out to them specifically. One of the advantages of our business program is your ability to customize your academics here. There is a lot of autonomy involved with choosing the type of courses that uniquely fit with your career goals.

Jeremy Vernetti (Dec 14, 2009 1:13:58 PM)
Randall - Do you find that career changers are not looked as favorably upon by recruiting companies? Do companies see changing careers as a sign of unclear future goals?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:14:20 PM)
LuisaV: Each applicant will receive an application manager based on his/her last name. A-H: Taissa Cox, I-O: Cheryl Kot , P-Z: Heidi Russell.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:14:24 PM)
Hi Purnama, you'll be pretty busy during your first semester. You will get the opportunity for "hands on" experience during the integrative case competition held toward the end of the first semester.

MikeCho (Dec 14, 2009 1:14:42 PM)
Ann: Have you seen an increase/decrease in military applicants this year? And is Johnson extending any outreach programs to increase military candidate interest?

MikeCho (Dec 14, 2009 1:14:43 PM)
Laurie: Has Johnson seen any significant fluctuations in the number of consulting firms recruiting Johnson MBAs within the past couple years?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:14:57 PM)
Thanks Akhil for your kind remarks.

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:15:56 PM)
MikeCho: Consulting recruiting remains strong - we see recruiters from top firms every year.

Alessandra (Dec 14, 2009 1:16:08 PM)
Hi Christine- I just found out that my manager did not stick to the Johnson School questions for my letter of recommendation. Instead, she drafted one letter and uploaded it to different schools. Should I seek a 3rd letter of recommendation? I'm worried this may count against my application. Thanks!

PresleyAMBA2011 (Dec 14, 2009 1:16:18 PM)
I agree Anne, I've driven to Ithaca from CT quite a few times when my brother was at the Johnson school and always loved the drive and the campus area is beautiful and extremely scenic.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:16:32 PM)
Hi Mike, we have seen a steady increase in military applicants over the last couple of year. We participate in the Yellow Ribbon program, we also have a scholarship targeted at our U.S. military veterans - the Nolan Scholarship. In addition, our Vets club does a lot of outreach.

purnama (Dec 14, 2009 1:16:37 PM)
Laurie: How would you evaluate an applicant with an unbalanced GMAT score in favor of verbal on 1st attempt, but in favor of quant on 2nd attempt?

Franco Mora (Dec 14, 2009 1:16:48 PM)
Thank you, Anne. You will receive the mail during the day.

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:16:53 PM)
Hi Jeremy, I think all Johnson School students, regardless of backgrounds, are given serious consideration by recruiters...career changers or not. I do not think the marketplace is changing that much as to career changers being disadvantaged.

Mike Majestic (Dec 14, 2009 1:17:27 PM)
Randall: I am interested using an MBA to go in to field that is not directly related to my previous work experience. Are you finding that graduates from the Johnson school who focused on a career change have struggled to find job placement?

klughing (Dec 14, 2009 1:17:38 PM)
Ann: My undergraduate degree is in engineering and I have a decent GPA.  This proves that I have the quant ability, so should I still be taking accounting classes or should I take something more like business communications?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:17:38 PM)
Purnama: We certainly value your dedication in terms of retaking the GMAT and we may see your higher quant score on the second attempt as evidence of improved performance in the quant space based on a different approach to test preparation.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:17:50 PM)
Thanks Franco Mora - I'll be looking for your note.

businessap18 (Dec 14, 2009 1:17:52 PM)
Laurie: As a follow up to Sid's question - what constitutes a low AWA score?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:18:07 PM)
Hi Alessandra, difficult question - you may want to include a third recommender for this reason. Especially if you requested them to complete our template and they did not. Something too general could be seen as weak and they may have included another school's name (worse case scenario). If you decide to do a 3rd recommendation, I would include this reason in your optional essay or email your application manager.

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:18:11 PM)
Mike Majestic--see prior email to Jeremy and no, career changes are still getting good offers!

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:18:14 PM)
Businessap18: We look for an AWA score of 5.

ravi (Dec 14, 2009 1:18:20 PM)
Christine: Could you talk a little bit about the summer projects, which the students might have completed lately, in terms of sufficient companies available to work with?

GauravMisraLdn (Dec 14, 2009 1:18:27 PM)
Hi Randall, would you recommend a trip down to Ithaca over the coming holidays? Or would it be better to visit the campus early next year?

CornellWannabe (Dec 14, 2009 1:19:01 PM)
Laurie: I applied in Round 1, but at that time, my husband wasn't sure of applying. He decided and applied in Round 2! Should I send an update on my application?

howrwe (Dec 14, 2009 1:19:20 PM)
Ann: Can you elaborate on what the interest rate is on non-cosigner loans? Also, are international students with U.S. credit history able to apply for an amount covering both tuition and living expenses?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:19:33 PM)
Klughing, if you are planning to take some courses before starting business school, a good recommendation would be the on-line MBA MATH course. It's on line, so you can complete it at your leisure, and you can use this as a guide to further study in a particular discipline, if necessary.

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:19:40 PM)
Hi Gaurav, come visit us early next year. Classes are over and most of the students have gone home. Classes resume on the 25th and students can sit in at that time...and don't forget some time for coffee.

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:19:51 PM)
Hi Ravi, Candace Maxian worked with our students looking to take summer projects (which are different than internships which our CMC would best to answer). I am not sure what you are specifically looking for

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:20:21 PM)
CornellWannabe: Feel free to send me an update regarding your husband's decision to apply. He could also share this information with his application manager if he did not already include your name within his application.

Samiur Rahman Talukder (Dec 14, 2009 1:20:26 PM)
international joint-education opportunities -?

Techpro (Dec 14, 2009 1:20:55 PM)
Laurie: There are some MBA programs geared towards Engineering Managers; would it be fair to compare AMBA with such programs? Do AMBAs typically pick a different career path than full-time MBA graduates?

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:20:58 PM)
Samiur, could you explain further what you are asking?

RK - sweating the 17th (Dec 14, 2009 1:21:18 PM)
Christine: Any plans on going on the MBA Tours in the Middle East next year?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:21:42 PM)
Hi Matt--Master's degrees are best for our AMBA class and give us another basis by which to evaluate you. Master's GPA should be equal to or stronger than your undergrad.

Rohit (Dec 14, 2009 1:21:45 PM)
Hi Randall. I am retired Commander from the Indian Navy. I have taken premature retirement after 20 years of active military service. I want to pursue full time accelerated MBA at Cornell. Would my years of service be a handicap for selection to a full time program? I am not interested to pursue an EMBA because my goal is to get out of the comfort level and immerse myself in an intellectually challenging environment to have a successful and meaningful transition to the corporate world.

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:22:04 PM)
Hi RK, at this time, we have not made travel plans for next year. Anywhere specific in the M.E.?

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:22:10 PM)
Techpro: Many AMBA candidates pursue management or consulting positions related to their previous experience and technical skills.

arthur (Dec 14, 2009 1:22:14 PM)
Christine: My status has changed to under review -  does this mean I will receive all updates on the application website and/or via email, or will I receive a call for interview if I am granted one?

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:22:16 PM)
Howrwe, the interest rate hasn't been finalized, but will be lower than last year. International students wishing to borrow more than tuition must secure a U.S. citizen co-signer, regardless of their U.S. credit history.

Pavit (Dec 14, 2009 1:22:22 PM)
Laurie: As I have been hearing you value letters from alumni and students, I will plan to send one of those in. Will obtaining a third professional recommendation be helpful or is that considered overkill?

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:22:38 PM)
Hi Rohit, can you connect with me by email offline? I can best address your situation then. 

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:22:43 PM)
Pavit: We generally support inclusion of a third recommendation if this document will provide additional or unique insight about your experience and abilities.

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:22:46 PM)
Hi Arthur, you will receive an email if you are invited to interview. Your status will change as well.

Linda Abraham (Dec 14, 2009 1:22:48 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Randall, Ann, Laurie, and Christine for joining us at this busy time of year.

We look forward to seeing you at future chats. The next scheduled chat is:

Dec 16: Dartmouth Tuck Q&A

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website  for additional details.

Good luck with your applications!

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:23:25 PM)
Thanks for joining us today!

ChristineSnevaCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:23:35 PM)
Please email me if you have further questions!  Take care!

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:23:38 PM)
Feel free to contact us with other questions as you complete the application process.

Li (Dec 14, 2009 1:23:42 PM)

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:23:44 PM)
Thanks everyone - this was great - lots of good questions. Please feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Samiur Rahman Talukder (Dec 14, 2009 1:23:46 PM)
Thank you Randall!

RK - sweating the 17th (Dec 14, 2009 1:23:49 PM)
Randall, hope to hear from you on the 17th. Thank you for your time~ :)

LaurieShunneyCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:23:51 PM)
Round 3 Deadline = January 12th

Anna (Dec 14, 2009 1:23:52 PM)
Thank you!

gverma_atl@bigred (Dec 14, 2009 1:23:54 PM)
Thanks a lot for your time and kind responses, Christine, Randall and Ann. Looking forward to the decision date.

Unique_Impact (Dec 14, 2009 1:23:56 PM)
Thanks team Johnson, this chat was really helpful.

AnnRichardsCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:23:58 PM)
Good luck everyone!

Matt Ithaca (Dec 14, 2009 1:24:02 PM)
Thank you Randall. Does that mean those with master's are discouraged from applying to the 2-year?

AnnRichardsCORNELL(Dec 14, 2009 1:24:05 PM)
Matt Ithaca, you can apply for the two year program.

CU_MEng_'04 (Dec 14, 2009 1:24:06 PM)
Thank you all.

enthusiastic_saurabh (Dec 14, 2009 1:24:07 PM)
Thanks all!

RandallSawyerCORNELL (Dec 14, 2009 1:24:10 PM)
Thanks very much for joining us today. Happy holidays and safe travels to everyone. Good luck in applying to the Johnson School. You can email me directly with questions.

Jim Rumpf (Dec 14, 2009 1:24:12 PM)
Thank you all for extending the chat, especially in the midst of such a busy week.

Pavit (Dec 14, 2009 1:24:15 PM)
Thank You everyone!

Techpro (Dec 14, 2009 1:24:20 PM)
Thank you Laurie.

Tina (Dec 14, 2009 1:24:35 PM)
Thanks so much for your time!

Sandeep Sharma (Dec 14, 2009 1:24:38 PM)
Thanks Linda, Randall and the rest!

Farouq Tuweiq (Dec 14, 2009 1:24:40 PM)
Very informative, thanks to all!

Bilige (Dec 14, 2009 1:24:51 PM)
Many thanks. Really appreciate this opportunity to learn more about Johnson.

Beatrice (Dec 14, 2009 1:24:53 PM)
Thank you! See you in round 3!

Mike Majestic (Dec 14, 2009 1:25:32 PM)
Thanks for all the insightful answers! Got to get back to work! LuisaV (Dec 14, 2009 1:25:44 PM)
Thank you everyone for always being available for us! Chao-chao.

PresleyAMBA2011 (Dec 14, 2009 1:26:19 PM)
Thanks a lot guys, this was very insightful.

Linda Abraham (Dec 14, 2009 1:26:28 PM)
You're most welcome. Happy Holidays and good luck with your applications!

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room