2010 Dartmouth Tuck MBA Admissions Q&A with Dawna Clarke

2010 Dartmouth Tuck MBA Admissions Q&A with Dawna Clarke

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 11:58:48 AM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat.

First I want to welcome all applicants to the Dartmouth Tuck chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Tuck’s MBA program. To make a sound decision about where to apply and to get accepted, you need to know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask the experts about this outstanding business school.

I also want to welcome our Tuck guests. Joining us today are:

• Dawna Clarke - Director of Admissions
  • Amy Mitson - Associate Director of Admissions
  • Nancy Granada - Senior Associate Admissions Marketing

Also joining us are two MBA Students, Michael Stallworth & Oliver Perez

Michelle and Oliver, can you tell us a little bit about yourselves, your backgrounds, current focus and future goals?

Thanks to everyone for joining.

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 11:59:32 AM)
Thank you for having us Linda and thanks to all the participants!

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:00:32 PM)
Dawna: What’s new at Dartmouth Tuck?

November Applicant (Dec 16, 2009 12:00:42 PM)
Amy: Thanks for the opportunity. Could you please update us on the off campus interview invites for November round applicants? When is the latest one could expect to hear about invites? What has been the general selectivity ratio trend in past years for November round “shortlisted for interview” applicants? How has the application volume been for the November round?

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:01:07 PM)
Hi everyone, well we are in the midst of the admissions season here at Tuck. There continues to be a lot of positive momentum at Tuck in the curriculum in particular. Many elements of Tuck 2012 have been implemented and/or are in progress for example. We have already had two deadlines (Early Action in October and the November deadline) but our next deadline is upcoming, on January 6th.

Jon (Dec 16, 2009 12:02:14 PM)
Amy: I've already applied and had an off-campus interview with a Tuck alumnus. As I learn more about the program, I become increasingly excited about it. Is there anything I can do to strengthen my chances at this point? Would visiting campus help? I'm already very familiar with Hanover, New Hampshire, but thought it might send a signal of interest.

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:03:11 PM)
Hi Jon, a thoughtful application as well as a strong interview will show your interest and understanding of the program. These things are strong signals. Also, if you decide you would like to visit campus, you may sign up for a class visit, without an interview. We have open visit dates through the end of February.

MichaelStallworthTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:03:20 PM)
I'm currently a second year student, originally from NJ, USA. I worked in Education before coming to Tuck. I was interested in making a career transition into consulting, so I spent my summer internship doing Management and Strategy Consulting at Monitor Group, where I'll be going back full-time after graduating.

nyubxtr (Dec 16, 2009 12:04:08 PM)
Amy: I just signed up the Student Ambassador Event in Los Angeles. I am just wondering will there be admissions folks at the event.

T'12 (Dec 16, 2009 12:04:13 PM)
Hi Dawna, greetings from India! What do you think of R1 applicants, who as of now, haven't yet been invited for  an interview?

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:05:11 PM)
T'12, we are well into reviewing the applications for the November deadline. The invitations for interviews for that round are complete at this point.

OliverPerezTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:05:40 PM)
Hi everyone, I'm a second year student as well. I grew up and did my undergrad in New England. I came to Tuck to make a switch from sales into marketing with a desire to remain in the consumer packaged goods sector. I spent my summer at Johnson & Johnson, and will be joining General Mills full time next summer.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:05:41 PM)
Nancy, how is recruiting going this year? Are companies interviewing on campus? How does it compare to last year?

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:05:57 PM)
Hi November applicant: Applications are consistent with the number received last year at this time. The applicant initiated interview deadline for the November round was 11/11/2009. We issue interview invites throughout the process, sometimes very close to the decision deadline. Selectivity at Tuck is high considering we have such a small class size.

NancyGranadaTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:06:11 PM)
Nyubxtr- there will not be an admissions representative at the event. However it will be a great opportunity to meet current students and alumni and hear about the Tuck experience first hand.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:06:20 PM)
Michael and Oliver, why did you choose to attend Tuck and has it met your expectations?

LS22 (Dec 16, 2009 12:06:43 PM)
Quick question for Dawna. Have all of the calls gone out to admitted students for the Early Action round? Will more calls go out later today and tomorrow?

Chris (Dec 16, 2009 12:06:46 PM)
Dawna: It seems as though phone calls to accepted students from the EA round have been going out since Monday, have all the accepted students been contacted by now or are there still some calls left to be made between now and the decision deadline on Friday?

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:06:51 PM)
Hello NYUBXTR, typically Ambassador events are run by current students. Newly admitted students and alumni are invited to these events. You will not see an Admissions officer in LA.

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:07:05 PM)
Chris and LS22: Yes, we're still making calls for Early Action candidates.

NancyGranadaTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:07:28 PM)
Linda, recruiting seems to be going well this year. Many companies on campus and our second year students are doing well with job opportunities. Our first year students are just getting into recruitment for internships, so it's a little soon to tell.

nyubxtr (Dec 16, 2009 12:07:48 PM)
Thanks, Amy and Nancy.

Jon (Dec 16, 2009 12:08:03 PM)
Dawna: Are all November round decisions released in February, or will some applicants be notified, as the committee reaches decisions on their candidacy, sooner?

MichaelStallworthTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:08:22 PM)
Linda: I chose to attend Tuck because after I visited during Tuck Diversity Conference 2007 and spent time on campus, met other students, and spoke to folks in admissions, I knew that Tuck was the perfect fit for me. I really thought I would get the most out of my MBA by going to Tuck and that I would have a high inter-personal experience and build great relationships!

OliverPerezTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:08:40 PM)
Linda: I chose to attend Tuck because I wanted a small program with a focus on general management. I also wanted a school where alumni were involved and gave back to the school in more ways than just financially. You hear and read a lot about the alumni involvement, but up until I came to Tuck, I couldn't imagine the level of commitment from alumni. Time and time again you hear stories of classmates reaching out to Alumni at all levels of corporate America and quickly getting a response and willingness to help share insights.

November Applicant (Dec 16, 2009 12:08:43 PM)
Thanks Amy!

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:09:18 PM)
Alumni involvement at Tuck is really a differentiator.

nyubxtr (Dec 16, 2009 12:09:26 PM)
Michael and Oliver: I am very interested in the Tuck Global Consultancy. What do students get from  this beside the learning experience?

Sarathy (Dec 16, 2009 12:09:29 PM)
Amy, Tuck is one of my "dream" schools. However, I'm a tad apprehensive about the chances of admission. Tuck's class size, as you had reiterated, is very small. How many applicants have been offered admission? How many will you possibly be dishing out in R2? Rough figures will suffice.

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:09:40 PM)
Hi Jon, at this point we expect to release all decisions for the November round in February. There have been times when we've released decisions a little early, but we'd release all the decisions early rather than doing a few at a time. Thanks!

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:10:35 PM)
Sarathy, thanks for the question, but we don't release the number of offers made by round. We are still reviewing them and the number is directly related to the quality of the round. It can vary from year to year.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:10:46 PM)
Nancy, what advice can you give applicants who intend to seek financial aid in order to pay for their MBA?

LS22 (Dec 16, 2009 12:10:49 PM)
Amy: How many people are usually taken as part of the EA round? Would you say that people have a better, equal or worse chance than other rounds?

OliverPerezTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:11:09 PM)
Nyubxtr: It's hard to give you a solid answer as I did not participate in one of the TGC projects, but one of the things that makes that program appealing is that you get to work with companies and people in different parts of the world. You not only get the business learning experience, but also the cultural learning experience, which I believe is unique.

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:12:17 PM)
Hi LS22: In response to your question, I would say that the number of offers varies depending upon the number and quality of applicants in a given round.

LS22 (Dec 16, 2009 12:12:41 PM)
Nancy: What percentage of EA admits has received a call at this point? If you cannot tell, I am waiting by my phone.

MichaelStallworthTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:12:58 PM)
Hi Nyubxtr! As I mentioned before, I'm currently participating in the Tuck Global Consultancy with my team based in Brussels. I think this has been a great opportunity to have an actual client engagement. It's also helping me to continue to develop and hone skills I will use in my full-time role after graduating.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:13:26 PM)
Michael, which skills do you feel are being hones in the consultancy?

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:13:27 PM)
Not even an ocean can keep Michael away from an Admissions chat. thank you to Michael and Oliver for participating!

TuckEAadmit (Dec 16, 2009 12:14:15 PM)
Nancy: Can you share with us the status of loans for international students?

Fall2010 (Dec 16, 2009 12:14:30 PM)
Amy: Understanding that Tuck seeks to enroll students with diverse professional experiences and interesting backgrounds, is there a common quality or character trait among Tuck students that helps them to be successful at Tuck and afterward? Is there a particular strength that you think Tuck graduates possess over other the graduates from other schools?

gator (Dec 16, 2009 12:14:45 PM)
Oliver, I'm interested in working in the private equity field, specifically with a focus on Latin America. Is Tuck a good place for my focus? If so, can you briefly speak about this capability?

TuckEAadmit (Dec 16, 2009 12:14:58 PM)
Michael, shouldn't you be working? It's still early in a typical consultant's day!!! :)

NancyGranadaTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:15:30 PM)
Linda - Tuck offers both financial aid and scholarship and is a need-blind institution, which means that we offer admission to the most qualified candidates without regard to their financial circumstances. Tuck provides financial assistance to students who lack sufficient personal resources to finance their MBA education. Scholarships are based on several factors. When you apply, be sure that you also submit the Tuck scholarship form, since this is the only way you would be considered.

Jon (Dec 16, 2009 12:16:11 PM)
Nancy: For those of us coming to business school with spouses, what's the job market like in Hanover? Is the University the primary employer? Tuck's unique location definitely has its positive aspects, but I can see how it might pose some challenges as well, compared with programs in more urban environments.

MichaelStallworthTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:16:13 PM)
Thanks, Linda! Well, we are performing a benchmarking analysis, so my team and I had a lot of liberty to drive the scope of our project. We selected the countries we felt it would be best for us to work in, performed a lot of research, and have been conducting industry and expert interviews. This is much different than the work I've done in the curriculum at Tuck, as well as my First Year Project, which was also a consulting project.

nyubxtr (Dec 16, 2009 12:16:26 PM)
Amy: I am interested in the exchange program with a school in Asia. Is there a process for it and in general, what percentage of students do the exchange program?

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:16:35 PM)
Fall2010: A common trait among Tuck students is their ability to be collaborative. People here are not competing against one another; they are working to accomplish their goals with their classmates and not at the expense of them. Also, being open with others and sharing your experience and expertise will allow you to be successful in this community.

gator (Dec 16, 2009 12:17:47 PM)
Nancy: For Consortium applicants, does Tuck see essays #1 and 2, or do you just see the Tuck core essay? I have the same question for the recommendations.

MichaelStallworthTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:17:47 PM)
TuckEAadmit: Ha-ha! Well, for one thing, it's 7 PM here. Also, you learn how to multi-task really well during your first year at Tuck. Lastly, I would say all work and no play during a Tuck Global Consultancy is not what I signed up for. We've definitely had some chances to explore these countries in Europe we are studying!

Sarathy (Dec 16, 2009 12:17:54 PM)
Dawna, I'll do my best to probe around. Obviously one of the distinguishing factors of a top b-school is the diversity. I take it you will look to limit the number of students of the same nationality. As an Indian, I feel that I am severely handicapped. Do you have any comments/advice/ words of encouragement?

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:18:43 PM)
Hi Sarathy, well I'll start by saying that we are very impressed by our applicants from India. Where do you live? Have you interviewed? When are you applying?

Sarathy (Dec 16, 2009 12:19:37 PM)
I live in Chennai and I have not yet interviewed (I will be submitting my application in a week for Round 2).

NancyGranadaTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:19:38 PM)
Jon - Many Tuck partners are able to find jobs in the upper valley and many do work for Tuck, Dartmouth, or Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. There are also a lot of small technology companies in the area. Admittedly it can be challenging, especially if your partner has a highly specialized career. In general, if your partner keeps an open mind (and maybe has a little sense of adventure :)) there are jobs.

Fall2010 (Dec 16, 2009 12:19:49 PM)
Thanks Amy!

TuckEAadmit (Dec 16, 2009 12:19:51 PM)
Amy: Can you comment on the loan situation for international students? Are banks lending without a co-signor?

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:20:28 PM)
Nancy, can you tell us a little about Tuck's Leadership Program? I know it is a critical element in the curriculum.

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:21:07 PM)
Hi Sarathy, are you planning to interview on various campuses? I think that can really help when applying from India. Of course, we realize that it's a long way and very expensive to come, so we don't expect all of our applicants from India to come for an interview. That being said, I'm always surprised by how many candidates do come such long distances to interview.

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:21:18 PM)
TuckEAadmit: Tuck has secured an international student loan program for admitted international students. You can see more detailed information on our loan programs page.

T'12 (Dec 16, 2009 12:21:36 PM)
Amy: I am an EA Applicant, who met Dia Draper in Oct 2009 at Delhi event and contacted her for an opportunity to interview, but due to her occupied schedule, she insisted on a telephonic chat from Hanover, but I haven't heard from her since then.

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:22:07 PM)
TuckEAAdmit: Briefly, a co-signor is not required to get the loan.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:22:37 PM)
Michael and Oliver, what is your biggest take-away so far from Dartmouth?

gator (Dec 16, 2009 12:23:00 PM)
Amy: How many times should an applicant repeat their GMAT to show that they have tried to get a better score? Is there a number that is too small (large)?

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:23:03 PM)
Everyone, a few words on Tuck's open interview policy. We are very proud of the fact that Tuck is quite distinctive in terms of our open interview policy. For applicants who are applying in January, you are able to complete an interview throughout January and still be considered for the January round. The interview gives you an opportunity to present your story, your communication skills and interpersonal skills. One of the best pieces of advice I can offer is to take advantage of the opportunity Tuck provides for so many candidates to interview with us!

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:23:13 PM)
Hello T'12: Due to the number of applicants to Tuck, unfortunately it is not always possible to interview all candidates if they do not come to campus. If you would like to send me your name, I can connect with Dia on your behalf.

NancyGranadaTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:23:35 PM)
Linda - Leadership is a primary focus for the program. In fact, we just re-launched our leadership program here at Tuck, which includes many new opportunities for students including a new course as part of the core curriculum as well as a second course that can be completed throughout the two years here at Tuck. One of our second year bloggers talks about the new program on his blog.

LS22 (Dec 16, 2009 12:23:36 PM)
Dawna: Will all EA admits get a call before Friday? What percentage has been called at this point? Thank you all for your insight. Tuck is an incredible place and I hope to join your great community next fall.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:23:54 PM)
Thanks Nancy.

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:24:07 PM)
Hi Gator: It is up to the applicant to determine how many times they should take the GMAT. I can say that we would never view an applicant negatively for continuing to improve their score.

Sarathy (Dec 16, 2009 12:24:26 PM)
Sadly, my resources are limited. Any chance I could entice you folks to a friendly get-to-know-me on Skype?

OliverPerezTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:24:32 PM)
Linda: I think my biggest take-away so far has been how talented, yet collaborative everyone at Tuck is. I probably learn as much or more from my classmates as I do from the professors.

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:24:55 PM)
Hi LS22, due to time zone changes, leaving messages, etc, it may take all of this week to finish the calls but hopefully, we'll be done by tomorrow. I'll guess that 75% of the calls have been made, but that's an estimate.

nyubxtr (Dec 16, 2009 12:25:08 PM)
Nancy: I will be bringing my family to Tuck during my studies. Are there daycare centers available in Hanover and what is the accessibility like?

MichaelStallworthTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:25:26 PM)
Thanks, Linda! I have a hard time identifying my BIGGEST, so I think I will throw out my top three: 1. Becoming a part of a phenomenal alumni network; 2. Having amazing peers; 3. Leveraging unparalleled access to thought leadership and business leaders.

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:26:11 PM)
Sorry Sarathy - we may be experimenting with Skype in the future. If you send me your full name, I'll gladly put a note in your file regarding your willingness to interview via Skype.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:26:20 PM)
Michael and Oliver, What’s been your not-to-be missed class/professor?

NancyGranadaTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:27:20 PM)
Nyubxtr - there are many families here at Tuck. The options for child care range from fellow Tuck partners (a very popular choice), as well as several area childcare facilities. I am not sure what the accessibility is (waiting lists, etc), but I don't get the impression that families have a hard time finding childcare while they are here.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:27:45 PM)
Dawna and Amy: If you are looking at an application and the numbers and basic profile are in the ballpark for a Tuck student, what distinguishes an application that is accepted from one that is rejected?

nyubxtr (Dec 16, 2009 12:28:11 PM)
Great to hear, Nancy!

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:28:47 PM)
Nancy, what are the opportunities at Tuck for students interested in entrepreneurship?

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:29:21 PM)
Hi Linda: There are many details to consider when evaluating applicants to Tuck. Something that can set an applicant apart is their ability to clearly connect their past professional accomplishments with their future goals and how Tuck is the essential bridge to that gap.

MichaelStallworthTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:29:57 PM)
That's an easy one, Linda. My top class so far at Tuck has been the Research to Practice seminar I took in the Spring. RTPs are a new innovation in the Tuck curriculum and it was an incredible learning experience for me to have intimate interactions with fellow Tuckies as there were only 12 of us taking this course with our professor.

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:30:06 PM)
Good question Linda. I think that applicants can stand out for many different reasons. Some stand out because of their academics, and others because they've progressed in a unique industry. Others may have had impressive leadership experiences while others distinguish themselves because of their global experiences. I think the key for applicants is to really think hard about what the applicant feels is his/her distinguishing experiences, qualities, and talents, etc and to emphasize only those that are relevant to the business school application process. Another way to stand out is to really research Tuck and make a compelling case for why the applicant feels that Tuck is a great fit in terms as serving as a bridge from where they've been (professionally) and where they hope to go. Visit and interview!

nyubxtr (Dec 16, 2009 12:30:13 PM)
Amy: What % of students do the exchange program? How is recruiting like overseas, particularly in China?

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:30:30 PM)
Thanks Amy and Dawna. Great answers.

gator (Dec 16, 2009 12:30:41 PM)
Dawna, does the Adcom discount excellent performance in undergrad quantitative courses if an applicant graduated 9 years ago?

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:31:07 PM)
Hello Nyubxtr: Students choose to go one exchange in their second year; in either the fall or winter term. Just about 40 students will go on exchange per term. Many students comment that two years is too short at Tuck and they have a hard time leaving campus for an entire term!

OliverPerezTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:31:11 PM)
I would say so far, one of my favorite classes has been Countries and Companies in the International Economy taught by Dean Slaughter. The class takes on current economic issues and we explored how they affect business decisions. Some of the topics we covered were the credit crisis, executive pay caps, as well as immigration, and international taxation. You can read more about the course under 2nd year courses on the tuck website.

TuckEAadmit (Dec 16, 2009 12:31:48 PM)
Amy: Any ideas for someone who has been accepted already? How can we start getting involved?!

NancyGranadaTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:31:51 PM)
Linda - Students can get involved with Center for Private Equity and Entrepreneurship. In addition, there are many entrepreneurship courses. Lastly first year students all have a first year project in which they can either act as consultants to a real company solving real challenges or they can take on an entrepreneurial endeavor.

2012K (Dec 16, 2009 12:32:37 PM)
Dawna: I am applying January deadline and have already visited campus, which was fantastic. I felt like my interview went ok, but not great. Two questions: How significantly do you weigh the interview and are the essays a chance to clarify a characteristic that was perhaps misconstrued in the interview?

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:32:48 PM)
Hi Gator - I wouldn't say that we would discount it at all, but we would probably be more interested in recent professional experiences. It's never a bad thing to have excellent undergrad coursework no matter how long you've been out of school.

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:33:05 PM)
Tuck EAAdmit: There are some very personal things that you can do to prepare for your time at Tuck. Some candidates take time to strengthen their quant or English skills during the time when they are accepted until matriculation. Regarding getting involved, stay in touch with your new Tuck community through the Class of 2012 website, which can lead you to many connections.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:33:10 PM)
Michael and Oliver, what do you like best at Tuck? What would you like to see improved?

Sarathy (Dec 16, 2009 12:33:19 PM)
Amy: Do our GMAT scores have to reach you before we submit the application?

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:33:49 PM)
If acceptances are going out, so are notices of waitlist status. Dawna, any tips for applicants placed on Tuck's waitlist?

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:33:57 PM)
2012K, thanks for the question. If you haven't submitted yet, I think it would be great to explain your reaction to the interview in the optional essay. Explain the circumstances and what you think might have gone wrong. We will take your feedback into consideration.

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:33:59 PM)
Sarathy: Yes, we have to have GMAT scores to consider your application complete.

MP2009 (Dec 16, 2009 12:34:34 PM)
Dawna, should the examples given in the essay questions (e.g. accomplishments or constructive criticism) be drawn primarily from work experience and not life experience?

Knight (Dec 16, 2009 12:34:52 PM)
Amy: Hi I am a MBA aspirant with 8 years of experience after my 12 years of schooling. I am working as an analyst for a computer major, but I have earned only an accredited distance degree in IT. How would the admissions committee look at my academics in that case, even when I have a good GMAT score?

OliverPerezTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:35:14 PM)
Linda: There is so much to love about Tuck-- here are just the first things off the top of my head. 1) Access to thought leaders in the various fields. 2) Small team oriented classes 3) Location. Things I would change - better parking options for 2nd years

gator (Dec 16, 2009 12:36:18 PM)
Amy: for Consortium applicants, does Tuck see essays#1 and 2 or do you just see Tuck's core essay?

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:37:20 PM)
Regarding the waitlist, Tuck has a very personalized approach to the waiting list. We let waitlisted candidates know that we have a point person in the office that they may contact via phone or e-mail. We will give feedback if there is something a candidate can do to strengthen his/her case. In some cases, an applicant may be advised to retake the GMAT, for example, or to take some quantitative classes. In other cases, there's not much a candidate on the waitlist can do other than be patient and see if space allows us to make more offers of admissions.

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:37:54 PM)
Knight: We look at every application individually. If you have a unique situation surrounding the circumstance of your undergraduate degree, you may choose to address this in the "optional essay" in the application.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:38:09 PM)
Dawna, do you wan to be updated if something significant happens while a candidate is on the waitlist?

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:39:19 PM)
Hi Gator: We see the entire application plus the Tuck specific essay. The only item we would not see would be your essay for another school.

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:39:20 PM)
Hi Linda, yes, excellent point. If something is new since the time a waitlisted applicant has submitted his/her application, it would be great for us to have this information. Some examples are a new promotion, new responsibilities, an award, new GMAT score, and grade in a class or an additional letter of recommendation.

TuckEAadmit (Dec 16, 2009 12:39:32 PM)
Amy: I got my admit call on Monday. Should I have received an email from Tuck by now? I just wanted to make sure I did not dream up the entire conversation.

gator (Dec 16, 2009 12:39:55 PM)
Dawna, for January applicants, when can we expect a request for an interview, if appropriate?

nyubxtr (Dec 16, 2009 12:40:16 PM)
Nancy: How is the oversea recruiting like at Tuck?

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:40:23 PM)
Hi TuckEAAdmit: You will NOT receive another email from Tuck. You will be able to login to your application on Friday, December 18th anytime after 5:00 PM eastern time to see your offer letter. Congratulations!

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:40:26 PM)
Gator, most of the invitations for interviews will be extended by the end of January with a few exceptions.

Knight (Dec 16, 2009 12:40:27 PM)
Amy: Alright, I would like some clarification. Does Tuck consider full time quality work experience before graduation?

NancyGranadaTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:40:39 PM)
TuckEAadmit-emails will be released to all EA applicants on Friday at 5:00 PM EDT

Sarathy (Dec 16, 2009 12:40:41 PM)
Dawna: Do the GMAT scores have to reach you by the 5th of Jan for R2? Either way, I would be better off sending it right away.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:41:11 PM)
Dawna: How do you use the admissions interview in the evaluation process?

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:41:25 PM)
Yes Sarathy, please go ahead and send your score. Even if we get a fax, we will request the official copy upon acceptance of an applicant.

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:41:33 PM)
Knight: We consider this experience as part of your overall candidacy, but will put more weight on your post graduation full-time professional experience.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:41:39 PM)
Dawna: A few schools have decided to reach out to early-career applicants, those with less than two years of experience. Is Dartmouth Tuck doing so too?

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:41:59 PM)
Linda, the interview is used primarily to assess those qualities that are more difficult to assess on the basis of a written application only. These qualities include oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, English speaking ability, poise, presence, maturity and motivation.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:42:01 PM)
Nancy, could you tell us a little about international study opportunities at Tuck?

TuckEAadmit (Dec 16, 2009 12:42:45 PM)
Amy: So does that mean that the connections website details etc will be elaborated upon in the admit package? Also, I see there is a 2012 accepted students group on facebook. Is that official or some prank?

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:42:52 PM)

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:43:23 PM)
Tuck EAdmit: The Class of 2012 website is a great resource and the class FB page is also authentic. And yes, more detail will be provided in the admit letter that you will see at the end of the week.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:43:31 PM)
Dawna: Tuck has had 2 deadlines so far. How does volume this year compare to last year?

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:43:38 PM)
Regarding work experience, for now Tuck remains committed to admitting strong applicants with two or more years of work experience. We feel that these students are at an advantage in the job search process based on what we hear from our recruiters.

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:44:26 PM)
Linda, regarding volume, it's still early to say because historically our biggest deadline is the January deadline. I expect applications to be flat with last year by the time the year is complete.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:44:40 PM)
Dawna: What role does post-MBA “hire-ability” play in admissions? Does a member of career services have a voice in admissions decisions?

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:45:21 PM)
Amy, how are letters of recommendation used in the evaluation process?

NancyGranadaTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:46:16 PM)
Linda - there are many opportunities for students to study or participate in learning experiences abroad. We do have 19 exchange programs with institutions all over the world. In addition, we conduct many international treks (recent locations have included China, Africa and Brazil) as well as our Tuck Global Consultancy, which sends teams of students to companies around the world each year. Currently we have a group of students representing Tuck at the Copenhagen Climate Change conference.

MP2009 (Dec 16, 2009 12:46:47 PM)
Amy, can poor results in first year undergrad be overcome by strong grades during the remaining years and a plus-700 score on the GMAT?

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:47:02 PM)
Linda, we ask many questions about career goals in the application in part to assess how realistic one's career goals are and to ensure that Tuck would be able to help launch that candidate's career in a specific area. "Hireability" is not an official criterion in the admissions process. You can imagine that we received applications from around the globe in so many different industries. Likewise, at times candidates want to go into more obscure areas. There are times when we'll ask an opinion of someone in career services to help educate us.

November Applicant (Dec 16, 2009 12:47:21 PM)
Dawna: You mentioned that interview invites for the November round are complete at this point. Does that mean no more interview invites would be extended for this round?

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:47:31 PM)
Regarding letters of recommendation: Two letters of recommendation are required in the application process. A professional recommendation from someone who has had the opportunity to supervise your work is a strong recommendation. We value the recommendation as an insight into how a candidates works in a professional team setting, if they are able to take critical feedback, are open to lessons learned, etc.

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:48:48 PM)
Hi MP2009: Last year's average GPA for the incoming class was 3.5. If your GPA falls below the average, you can use other aspects of the application to show the strength of your abilities.

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:48:53 PM)
Nov: We are still reviewing the November round, so it's possible that a few more invites could be extended. However, I think the majority have already been extended.

PB (Dec 16, 2009 12:49:04 PM)
Dawna: I was promoted this past week. I have yet to hear from the admissions office (I applied EA). Is this something I should formally tell the admissions office right now?

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:49:40 PM)
Nancy, are you seeing any industries where recruiting is up?

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:49:56 PM)
Michael and Oliver, have the events in the financial markets and the recession affected your coursework? How have they entered your classroom?

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:50:21 PM)
PB, congratulations on your promotion. All of the decisions for Early Action have been made at this point. If a candidate was placed on the waiting list, news of a promotion would be great for us to have. But so late in the process, it wouldn't be taken into consideration for this round since we're done and are making offer calls this week.

businessap18 (Dec 16, 2009 12:51:31 PM)
Dawna: If I left my job at a large investment bank to work up at a startup with a much lower salary, do I need to address this in the optional essay?

OliverPerezTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:51:53 PM)
Linda: They definitely have. As I mentioned previously, CACIE is a course which focuses specifically on issues of the day and there was discussion around the impact of the financial meltdown. Most professors found a way of weaving the economic crisis into their lectures. Additionally, there was a Research To Practice Seminar which looked specifically at the root causes of the mortgage crisis, where 12 students took a deep dive with Dean Hanson.

2012K (Dec 16, 2009 12:51:54 PM)
Amy: I am looking to transition within finance (research to banking). What are some of Tuck's strengths that could support such a transition outside of the strong alumni network?

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:52:04 PM)
Businessapp18, that would be an excellent topic for the optional essay!

MichaelStallworthTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:52:12 PM)
Linda, I was mentioning the new Research to Practice (RTP) Seminars earlier. I haven't taken this one yet, but I've heard really good things about Dean Hansen's RTP "Effect of the Credit Crisis". We've also discussed the financial situation in other courses like "Investments" with Prof. Ken French.

NancyGranadaTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:52:15 PM)
Linda - we have seen more interest in and applications from the health-care industry. We have also seen the trend toward non-profit and NGO's. Alternative energy has also become more common.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:52:45 PM)
Could you tell us a little more about Research to Practice? How is it different from other classes?

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:53:01 PM)
2012K: The strength of recruiting and career switching at Tuck is the overall personalized approach. The Career Development Office will work with any student individually to help them meet their career goal. In addition, as you have a core curriculum at Tuck for academic, I see that students have a specific job search curriculum that the Career Office lays out and they follow to meet their goals.

Fall2010 (Dec 16, 2009 12:53:21 PM)
Dawna: What advice would you have for applicants from non-traditional backgrounds (i.e. non-technical degrees; non-business/finance employment history)?

Sarathy (Dec 16, 2009 12:54:01 PM)
Amy, how do we convert the GPA. My GPA was based on a scale of 10. I got my bachelor's from one of the top institutes in India, which employs a bell-curve system of grading. My GPA is hence, an average one. Do the Adcoms consider the institutes from which the applicants have graduated?

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:54:24 PM)
The Research to Practice Seminars are very exciting. Let me give you an example. One of them explores the recent credit crisis in great depth and explores various contributing factors that led to the credit crisis. They are intended for students to gain a very deep understanding of a specific subject area. They are extremely small and are getting great reviews by the students.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:54:24 PM)
To all: do you have advice for prospective MBA's that may make their transition back to student easier? What could make those first few weeks as an MBA student easier?

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:54:46 PM)
Sarathy: We do not convert GPAs. We look at the scale from your university and the type of classes taken to assess the strength of your undergrad performance.

OliverPerezTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:55:02 PM)
Linda: Research to Practice Seminars are very small courses (typically no more than 12 students) that take a deep look at a specific issue. Usually it revolves around one of the professor's current research. The idea is that you are working closely with an expert in the field in developing theories and frameworks. A great opportunity to get a peek at the research being conducted by the faculty.

NancyGranadaTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:55:15 PM)
Linda-there is also a great video talking about the research to practice seminars on Tuck's YouTube channel.

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:55:19 PM)
Fall2010, you should really try to interview so the interviewer can get to know your unique experience. It's a great way to educate us about less traditional experiences.

MichaelStallworthTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:55:19 PM)
Sure, Linda. The two primary differences between RTP and other courses at Tuck are the teaching pedagogy and the class size. As for the pedagogy, RTPs are meant to be an exploration of contemporary business issues where we work with the professor to evaluate data and try to bridge the gap between what the research represents and what actually happens when applied to business situation. With respect to size, RTPs are capped at 10-15 students so you have truly unique access to the professor and considerable contribution to the course.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:55:39 PM)
Thanks. I understand the research and the seminar parts of the title. What's the "To Practice" part?

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:55:54 PM)
Great question Linda! I believe that the support of the community helps MBAs make the transition at Tuck. Also, speaking with family and friends about the intense experience you are about to embark upon will help them understand when you don't call or text them for weeks at a time. Also, being prepared skill-wise will help make a transition easier. If you don't know excel, start to learn it; if you have never had accounting experience, figure out how to get some additional knowledge. Being able to hit the ground running with coursework can ease transition.

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:56:23 PM)
Thanks Amy.

MichaelStallworthTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:57:11 PM)
Linda: In the "To Practice" part, students bring their professional experiences to light as well as try to develop philosophies, best practices, approaches, strategies, etc. that could yield effective solutions in a business context.

DawnaClarkeTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:57:44 PM)
It looks like we're almost out of time. Linda, thanks so much for having us! To the participants, thank you for your great questions and best of luck to you in the process. We know it is equally daunting and exciting. Feel free to contact us at Tuck admissions if you have additional questions. If you haven't already visited, we hope to see you in Hanover in 2010!

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:57:45 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Dawna, Amy, Nancy, Michael and Oliver for joining us at this busy time of year.
Even from Belgium!

We look forward to seeing you at future chats. Upcoming chats:

Jan 21: Michigan Ross Waitlist Q&A

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details. Good luck with your applications!

NancyGranadaTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:57:54 PM)
Thanks everyone for chatting with us today!

AmyMitsonTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:58:02 PM)
Thank you!

MichaelStallworthTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:58:28 PM)
Thank you, Linda. Thanks for your great questions everyone! Best to all.

Sarathy (Dec 16, 2009 12:58:33 PM)
Thanks Dawna, Nancy, Amy. I am jumping to the Tuck App site.. no time to waste :)!

Linda Abraham (Dec 16, 2009 12:59:01 PM)
Good luck. Thanks for joining us.

OliverPerezTUCK (Dec 16, 2009 12:59:05 PM)
Good luck everyone!

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room