College Application Essays: Tips from the Pros
You've chosen your essay topics, drafted an outline, and begun working on what you hope will become a masterpiece of a college essay. Now all you need to do is make sure that the ideas jumbled in your head translate into clear, cohesive, and brilliant writing once the pen hits the paper (or your fingers tap the keyboard).
These resources will provide you with professional writing and editing tips that will help you polish your pearls of wisdom into exquisite, compelling prose. You'll convince any college adcom member that you've got great ideas AND that you know how to express them!
- 5 Fatal Flaws, a special report.
- 7 Signs an Experience Belongs in Your Application Essay, a video.
- Do's and Don'ts
- Three Tips to Jump Start Your Personal Statement
- The Miraculous 15-Minute ROUGH, ROUGH Draft
- First Drafts of Personal Statements: Let Yourself Go
- The Art of an Opening Line
- Writing a Lead that Pops
- Why Use an Admissions Consultant?
- Writing Techniques from a Pro
- Resourceful Essay Recycling
- Where’s the Poetry? The Secret Ingredient in Your Graduate Application Essays
- 3 Tips for Showing Strengths in Your Application Essays
- “I’m Smart, Really I Am!” How to Prove Character Traits in Essays
- 4 Ways to Show How You’ll Contribute in the Future
- What Should I Write About? Making a Difference
- Metaphors in Your Application Essay
- Personal Statement Tip: Vivid Verbs
- Athletic Appeal in Admissions
"Working with Alicia on my common application essay was an extremely great and beneficial experience. Her guidance was extremely helpful in thinking of the right idea for the essay and in expanding on the topic to best answer the question. She was extremely kind and provided me with many suggestions and ideas that really improved the quality of the essay. In just one hour, she transformed my essay into a strong piece of writing that I feel confident in, and which truly expresses who I am for colleges to see. She also showed me how helpful and important writing outlines for essays is, which is a skill that will greatly help me when I go to college. Overall, Alicia's kindness, leadership, and expertise made the experience extremely great, and this could not have been possible without her assistance!"