College selection – check. SATs – check. Community service – check. You've done all the legwork in preparing for your college applications. Now it's time to sit down and do the hard part – writing those essays.
For many people choosing what to write about can prove to be the most challenging aspect of the writing process. You want your essays to be memorable, engaging, and persuasive, in addition to being well-written and honest. Your essays serve as your first impression to the adcoms – you want to make sure you choose the right topics!
The resources listed below will help you explore your experiences and delve deep into your passions, ultimately leading you to that original and compelling kernel that will become the basis for your college personal statement.
- From Example to Exemplary, a free guide
- Essays that Stick, a free webinar
- Optional Essays: When and How to Write Them, a video
- Writing About Your Experiences Abroad
- What is Passion in Admissions?
- Mining Your Identity
- How Personal is too Personal
- The Importance of Obstacles
- What is an Accomplishment?
- Don’t Discount a Summer Job
- Resilience: Moving On
- Important Admissions Tip: BE YOURSELF!
For personalized assistance in choosing your college essay topics (and then writing the actual essays), please sign up for one of Accepted's college admissions and personal statement consulting services.