You've chosen your target schools and you've done your school research; now it's time to sit down and tackle those essays. To some degree, what you write about will represent who you are to the adcoms, which is why it's critical that you put your best foot forward in your MBA application essays.
The following resources will help you create clear, vibrant, and compelling essays that highlight your strengths, convey your skills, and convince the admissions readers that you are a person worthy of a seat in the next top b-school class. The writing techniques discussed in these resources are tried and true—follow these professional tips to create an application essay that will quickly secure its spot at the top of the admissions committee's pile.
School Specific MBA Essay Tips
Common MBA Essay Topics
- Leadership in Admissions, a special guide
- Why MBA, a special guide
- Audio & Video in Admissions, a special guide
- Optional Essays: When and How to Write Them, a video
- Approaching Short Essays
- Short and Sweet: Tips for Writing “Mini” MBA Essays
- Those Creative Essays…
- Creativity Lessons from Pogue’s Wedding
- MBA Essay Tip: Responding to Criticism
- The Importance of Obstacles
- How to Write about Overcoming Challenges without Sounding like a Whiner
- What is Fit?
- How to Display Teamwork in MBA Essays
- What is an Accomplishment?
- 4 Things To Do If You Can’t Define Your MBA Goals
- 4 Ways to Show How You’ll Contribute in the Future
- MBA Admissions: Does Extracurricular Equal Extra Credit?
- Important Admissions Tip: BE YOURSELF!
- MBA Essays: You've Got Options!
- The Optional Essay
- Approaching the "Wild Card" Essay Questions
- 3 Tips for Showing Strengths in Your Application Essays
General MBA Essay Guidance
- 5 Fatal Flaws: Eliminate the 5 Most Common Flaws in Your MBA Application, a special guide
- 5 Ways to Make B-Schools LOVE You, a free webinar
- Roadmap to Bold and Brilliant Essays, a free webinar
- Essays that Stick, a free webinar
- Twelve Terrific Tips for MBA Applicants, a special guide
- From Example to Exemplary, a special guide
- 6 Tips for Answering MBA Video Essay Questions
- 5 Steps to Becoming Your Target B-School’s Valentine
- Solving the Puzzle
- Recipe for Disaster
- Do's and Don'ts
- Steve Jobs: 4 Lessons for MBA Applicants
- Making Your MBA Essays Do "Double Duty"
- Application Essays: A Balancing Act
- Essay Writing Tips from Genghis Khan
- What Should I Write About? Making a Difference
- Write Positive for Power and Clarity
- 4 Application Strategy Tips: Stand Out AND Fit In
- 4 Qualities Top MBA Programs Seek
- Generic-itis Prevention
- I’m About to Make Your Day…
- Being Yourself
- I'm Smart, Really I Am! How to Prove Character Traits in Essays
- Five Keys to Concreteness
- What is Passion in Admissions?
- How Personal is Too Personal?
"I was accepted to the program!!!!! I'm beyond excited.:) This is something I have wanted to pursue for a long time. Thank you for all your help and guidance on the essays. I don't think I could have communicated what I wanted to without your help."