2002 Cornell Johnson MBA Admissions Chat with Natalie Grinblatt

2002 Cornell Johnson MBA Admissions Chat with Natalie Grinblatt

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Chat Transcript:

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 8:58:04 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's Cornell's Johnson Graduate School of Management Admissions Chat.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 8:58:14 PM)
I also want to welcome Natalie Grinblatt, Director of Admissions and Financial Aid at the Johnson Graduate School of Management; Ann Richards, Associate Director of Admissions and Director of Financial Aid; Dick Shafer, Associate Dean for Corporate Relations; Cathy Dove, Associate Dean for the MBA Program and four Johnson students: Nina Lukin, Angie Moster, Amit Nisenbaum, Vijay Venkatachalam.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 8:58:21 PM)
Amit and Vijay will join us shortly.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 8:58:30 PM)
Natalie, I assume that Ann is also on her way.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 8:58:34 PM)
Hi Linda, hi all.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 8:58:49 PM)
And last but not least, I want to welcome Cindy Tokumitsu and Paul Bodine, two of Accepted.com's editors.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 8:58:56 PM)
Linda, we are expecting Ann to join us. She is joining us from Hong Kong.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 8:59:11 PM)
Truly international. But she isn't the only Hong Kong participant.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 8:59:13 PM)
I want to take a minute to provide brief bios for the student reps so you can direct your questions accordingly.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 8:59:24 PM)
Amit is a second year MBA student at Johnson, where he serves as the chair of the Johnson Admission Group (JAG), a group of students who participate in the admissions process. Amit is also a manager at the BR Ventures fund and director at the Big Red Incubator, a business incubator run by Johnson School students. Prior to joining the Johnson school Amit served as a Product and Business development manager at Vsoft, an international software company developing broadband video services infrastructure for the interactive TV industry, VP of R&D at I-Scraper.com, an international start-up developing web-based project management software. He has a B.sc in Information Systems Management from the Technion - Israel Institute of Technology and while in school worked in "Kidum" Education & Knowledge, Israel's largest private education company. Amit served six years as a Naval officer in the Israeli Navy retiring as a Captain.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 8:59:34 PM)
Nina is a second year student at Johnson. Prior to joining the Johnson school Nina was a management consultant with Deloitte Consulting focused in the Healthcare Strategy and Process Practice. Nina plans on returning to the consulting industry, specifically in strategic sourcing (supply chain management) and has focused her MBA studies on rounding out her finance skills, enhancing her general management capabilities, and building her leadership expertise. Nina completed the Pre-Medical Program and has a BA in Biology from Brandeis University.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 8:59:42 PM)
Angie Moster graduated from Miami University of Ohio in 1994 with a BA in psychology. After spending a year working in London and studying languages in Spain and Germany, Angie moved to Atlanta, GA, where she worked for the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games. After that, she worked for Bristol-Myers Squibb in pharmaceutical sales for 5 1/2 years before moving from Atlanta to Ithaca. At the Johnson School, she is an active member of the Sound Investments singing group, the Frozen Assets women's MBA ice hockey team, the Women's Management Council, and she chaired Destination Johnson, the weekend for admitted students in April.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 8:59:53 PM)
Vijay graduated with a B.E. in Engineering from the University of Madras in Madras, India, and also holds a MS degree in Computer Science from American University. Prior to attending the Johnson School, Vijay spent 3 years with Booz Allen & Hamilton in their E-Business and Technology practice. Most recently, he spent his summer interning with the Investment Banking Division at Citigroup/Salomon Smith Barney, and will be joining them full time next year. At Cornell, Vijay is an active member of the Johnson Admission Group, and is also a part of the Career Assistant Group. He enjoys golf, cricket and travel.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 9:00:02 PM)
Again, Vijay and Amit will join us later.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 9:00:16 PM)
Pretty impressive bunch here tonight from Johnson!

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 9:00:24 PM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 9:00:36 PM)
In the past, we have enjoyed the spontaneity of unmoderated chats at Accepted.com. However, the increasing popularity of these chats meant that spontaneity occasionally turned into chaos. So tonight, we are going to use a moderated chat formal.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 9:00:43 PM)
In a moderated chat, all your questions go to the moderator (me). I will choose the questions that have the broadest application and those questions will appear in the main window for the Johnson representatives to reply to. You will only see your question in the main window if and when it is chosen. You will not see your question on the screen if it is not picked.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 9:00:55 PM)
Please post your questions, and I will choose as many as possible from the ones you post and our guests will respond. You can also post follow up questions.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 9:01:02 PM)
Final request: We would like to avoid the brief summary of qualifications (or even the long laundry list) followed by the question, "Can I qualify?" Or "What are my chances?" This isn't the forum for that kind of question.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 9:01:09 PM)
Other than that limitation, this is your chance to ask questions about Cornell's program and admissions policies.

SLM (Nov 11, 2002 9:01:20 PM)
Natalie Grinblatt -can I ask you a question. All other things being equal (work experience, grades etc) , would a Honours year after a Bachelor degree be more favourably looked upon OR a Masters in Commerce undertaken through Thesis (not as much coursework)? I hope that question makes sense?

SCruty (Nov 11, 2002 9:01:31 PM)
Question: My fianc, a Russian national, is applying for the MBA program for 2003. Her first question concerns financing. What financial services/aid is available for international students? Loan? Does is cover entire the entire tuition? Is a cosigner required?

pantagruel (Nov 11, 2002 9:01:38 PM)
How does Cornell view someone who’s worked in a small business environment (max 25 employees)?

steveisgettingready (Nov 11, 2002 9:01:42 PM)
How do you review the applications of older, non-traditional students?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:02:19 PM)
SLM: A bachelor degree would suffice for us.

Peru (Nov 11, 2002 9:02:25 PM)
Do you have a minimum TOEFL score? I had 247; what I should do?

Poseidon (Nov 11, 2002 9:02:34 PM)
Can I get more information about the Immersion courses at Johnson?

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:02:57 PM)
Poseidon - what information do you need about the Immersions? I am a 2nd year student and did an immersion last year.

Cornell2003 (Nov 11, 2002 9:03:15 PM)
When are you going to release the new web page (is it going to have more information about the immersion programs)?

Blackbird (Nov 11, 2002 9:03:24 PM)
I would like to inquire about financial aid for Canadian students. One of the questions on the application is if I have the $98k to fund my education. If I am planning to take a loan, should I respond "yes" or leave the question blank?

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:03:36 PM)
Steve, in this market students with more experience have more of an advantage, since companies are looking for direct payoff. It is a case of telling your story to the recruiters and emphasizing the payoff of your experience.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:03:47 PM)
SCruty -- we do have a loan program for international students. Co-signer is not required. Please visit our website for details on the program or contact Lisa at js_aid@cornell.edu

o.shane (Nov 11, 2002 9:03:53 PM)
Is it less likely that you would accept a Cornell undergraduate for the Johnson school (go big red!) than you would a graduate from a different university?

CathyDoveCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:03:53 PM)
Poseidon - we are currently offering six immersions this year. Immersions are a comprehensive, coordinated course of study in the spring of the first year. The current immersions are: investment banking, managerial finance, research sales and trading, entrepreneurship and private equity, strategic brand management and semester in manufacturing.

merc (Nov 11, 2002 9:04:02 PM)
What is the minimum GMAT score?

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:04:04 PM)
Cornell 2003 - The new web site will be available in December. Regarding immersions, can I answer a specific question?

steveisgettingready (Nov 11, 2002 9:04:21 PM)
I am an older student in my 40's who is interested in your program.

edmund (Nov 11, 2002 9:04:27 PM)
How does Cornell view someone with a low undergrad GPA, but who has pursued a master of science in Finance and finished with strong grades?

Poseidon (Nov 11, 2002 9:04:54 PM)
Which are the companies involved in the immersion courses this year?

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:05:01 PM)
Poseidon - I took the Semester in manufacturing Immersion and it was a great experience. It gave me a great comprehensive "general management" view of running a business.

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:05:12 PM)
o.shane - we look at Cornell undergrads in the same way look at other undergraduate programs.

SS (Nov 11, 2002 9:05:37 PM)
I am interested in more details about the Entrepreneurship program at Johnson School. Besides the extensive courses and immersion track, what other resources are available? Please mention any institutes, focus program or initiatives.

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:05:51 PM)
Poseidon - the companies we visited included Ford, Corning, AK Steel, Kodak and many others. We had great access to dialogue with business leaders about their current business issues. I know, for example, the Brand Marketing Immersion visited Bristol-Myers Squibb, Unilever, Kraft and many others and had a great chance to not only view "day in the life" but also gain great opportunities to network.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:06:16 PM)
Pantagruel -- we will look for your value added to the organization. We have students from all different types of professional backgrounds.

Enthuzed (Nov 11, 2002 9:06:23 PM)
Cornell seems to place less importance on the GMAT than some of the other schools of the same caliber. Is this an accurate observation?

CathyDoveCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:06:34 PM)
Poseidon - each immersion works with different companies. For example, the immersion banking folks spend a week on Wall Street visiting a variety of banks. Brand goes to see a number of companies. It varies.

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:06:37 PM)
merc - We do not have a minimum GMAT. Our average is 680. However, we look at your GMAT along with your academic record to determine whether you will be successful in Johnson's program.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:07:01 PM)
Peru -- our minimum is 250 on the TOEFL.

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:07:10 PM)
Enthuzed - please see the above response to merc!

cindy tokumitsu (Nov 11, 2002 9:07:17 PM)
Do you view re-applicants favorably, negatively, or neutral? In reapplicants' applications, do you look for anything specific? Do you compare with the previous year's application?

merc (Nov 11, 2002 9:07:27 PM)
I am married to an American and I am in the process of applying for residency. Do I qualify for the application for financial aid as a resident or a non-resident?

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:07:30 PM)

SS: We have one of the two university wide entrepreneurship programs in the country. It includes courses in nine colleges, a Cornell Entrepreneur Network of hundreds of alums, a Big Red Venture Fund for student investing in seed companies and an incubator for consulting to start-ups.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:08:05 PM)
Vijay and Amit just returned from their dinner with one of our faculty and will join us in a minute.

steveisgettingready (Nov 11, 2002 9:08:31 PM)
Thank you. I am a College Professor with ten years of research and development experience and 9 years of college teaching with publications. My question is: will my age be a negative factor in the admissions process? I am certain you want individuals who will be able to relate to one another. But, I guess I will have to show in my essays to the admissions staff that I can relate to all types of individuals regardless of age.

Lisa M. (Nov 11, 2002 9:09:00 PM)
How is the student life at Cornell? Is it possible to achieve high grades and still interact with your fellow classmates outside of the classroom?

CathyDoveCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:09:38 PM)
We are having a technical problem with one of our computers - Natalie will be right back...

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:10:26 PM)
Lisa M - Oh my goodness yes! It's possible to achieve great learning (and grades) and really get to know your classmates outside of class. I'd say the Johnson School, due to its smaller size and location in Ithaca, is really conducive to getting to know classmates really well, if that's important to you.

Mengdan_Yu (Nov 11, 2002 9:11:00 PM)
Has Johnson taken advantage if its strategic location -- an area of diversity and international connections, good mix of backgrounds and perspectives, and established any distinctive program with particular appeal to the international student?

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:11:09 PM)
Lisa M - was there anything else you were wondering?

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:11:18 PM)
Steve - most recruiters come to business schools looking for people around 30 years old who go into traditional MBA positions. You are in effect an experienced hire, as are our Twelve Month Option students with multiple degrees and heavy tech backgrounds. You will fit fine in the class, but will need to develop a tailored approach to placement. This is what many students are having to do in this tough job market. It is a challenge, but can be done.

Lisa M. (Nov 11, 2002 9:11:21 PM)
How important is the undergrad school I attended?

vish (Nov 11, 2002 9:11:36 PM)
How long are those visits in the immersion?

vxb11 (Nov 11, 2002 9:12:12 PM)
Angie, what would you say are the strengths of the program? Would General Mgmt be considered a strength?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:12:13 PM)
Blackbird -- reply yes on the app question.

Robyn (Nov 11, 2002 9:12:40 PM)
Nina--I saw that you have a background in health care consulting. Do you intend to stay within the health care industry? If so, what immersion program did you find most suitable?

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:12:46 PM)
vish - there are several trips throughout the SiM immersion. Are you specifically asking about SiM?

vish (Nov 11, 2002 9:13:02 PM)
How long are those company visits for the immersion?

Alcatraz (Nov 11, 2002 9:13:20 PM)
Would you say that Johnson focuses more on theory or case study? Or is it a balance of both?

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:13:26 PM)
Lisa M - one of many factors we look at is undergrad school, but we have people in our program from a broad array of schools and backgrounds. GPA, leadership experiences, how you have done on quantitative courses are probably more important than the undergrad school name.

Peru (Nov 11, 2002 9:13:49 PM)
What was the percentage of people that got a job after finishing the MBA last year?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:14:00 PM)
Edmund, we will consider your entire academic record as well as your GMAT and the relative strength of the pool to determine if you can handle the program academically.

CathyDoveCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:14:05 PM)
Alcatraz - balance of both. The emphasis changes depending on the course. For example, the marketing core course tends to be heavily case oriented, while the core accounting course is less so.

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:14:13 PM)
vxb11 - I would consider General Management a definite strength of the Johnson School. I found the SIM Immersion a great way to change my framework of thinking, to think of all of the issues impacting a company, from supply chain, to manufacturing, to customer relationship management. Plus, you have a wide variety of finance, marketing, and ops courses that are really good from the general mgt perspective.

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:14:20 PM)
Robyn - I do intend to stay in HC consulting. I took the SiM immersion since I had only worked in Consulting and in HC, both of which are services rather than products. SiM helped me understand the important issues regarding manufacturing products.

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:14:21 PM)
Mengdan_Yu – The Johnson School leverages its variety of students in order to allow everybody to share from their colleagues' experience. This is inherent in the core courses as well as in the multiple international courses such as international marketing.

mongo (Nov 11, 2002 9:14:35 PM)
Dick, I am a Cornell undergrad and am not familiar with the incubator. Do you have a URL for more info? I'd like to know if that is managed through Johnson, or one of the undergrad colleges, etc. thx.

templekid (Nov 11, 2002 9:14:42 PM)
I had a question regarding the essay questions 8 and 9 on the application. How detailed should the response be? Will it suffice just to state which area and immersion one is interested in?

Mengdan_Yu (Nov 11, 2002 9:14:49 PM)
Has your career service established any effective program to help students with individual jobs, facing the challenge of economic downturn, multiplied MBA graduates, and stiff competition from a bunch of laid-offs? How about "match", a new-launched program of career service for graduates this year? Has it applied successfully?

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:15:03 PM)
Vish - are you asking specifically about SiM?

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:15:27 PM)
Peru-We are currently at about 85 percent placed from the 2002 class.

vish (Nov 11, 2002 9:16:36 PM)
NinaLukinCornell - I am interested in the research, sales and trading immersion. Are trips just for the day, or does working on a company on-site take a few weeks?

Lisa M. (Nov 11, 2002 9:17:11 PM)
Angie - I like to be very involved in my community - both on campus and within the town/city. What are the volunteer opportunities in the Ithaca area and is it possible to do volunteer work and still keep up with class work?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:17:18 PM)
Cindy Tokumitsu -- our view is favorable on reapplicants. If you were denied, you need to address your need to make sure you strengthen your application.

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:17:51 PM)
Mongo – The incubator is a new initiative here in the Johnson School. Basically it is a business incubator that leverages the pool of talent that we have in the Johnson School to consult start-ups with their initial business needs such as writing a business plan.

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:18:07 PM)
vish- I'll let Vijay answer that question since he did the IB immersion last year. He will be online in a few moments!

Cornell2003 (Nov 11, 2002 9:18:22 PM)
What is the strategy of the university towards a decrease in the percentage of students getting a job after grad?

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:18:31 PM)
Mengdan_Yu- we did many new things last year to help students in their individual job searches. Match Day was a program bringing 30 alums to campus to network with students. We launched an MBA Project Team Initiative that placed 27 students last summer in paid project work, we created skills workshops on job search skills, created a web portal with multiple info points on job search and used our EMBAs and alumni network for Cornell extensively. Many of these initiatives paid off in jobs that would not have been there otherwise.

steveisgettingready (Nov 11, 2002 9:18:52 PM)
What criteria do you use for asking an applicant to come to Cornell for an interview?

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:19:04 PM)
templekid- Question 8 and 9 are not really essays. Just state the immersion you are interested in and state your area of interest.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:19:07 PM)
Merc, until you become a resident, you will be classified as a non resident. We will change everything once you receive your green card and work with you on fin aid at that point.

Jiangze Bian (Nov 11, 2002 9:19:08 PM)
Do you have music clubs or festivals in Johnson? Do students have time to participate in them?

yyy (Nov 11, 2002 9:19:50 PM)
I am just 22 yrs old & have a 2yr full time experience. Will this be a handicap in qualifying for admission?

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:19:58 PM)
Lisa M - of course it's impossible to do everything the Johnson School, Cornell, and the Ithaca community offers. That said, if you place a priority on community involvement, you can absolutely do volunteer work and keep up with class work. For example, I go to a local Junior High School one day a week and help students learn leadership skills. I have a classmate who takes her cat to a local nursing home to help the elderly people with "Pet Therapy." The Johnson school has a very active "Community Impact" Group, which is all about community service. We sponsor Blood drives, Food Drives, and Charity Auctions. It's a lot of fun and feels good to stay connected to the world outside of B-school.

cmklee222 (Nov 11, 2002 9:20:41 PM)
Would you say you are looking for a more well-rounded background in work experience or a lot of experience in one job? Also, is it better to work for a firm with a reputable name or be of a higher position in the corporate structure?

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:20:54 PM)
Hello, I apologize for the late entry, but I had a couple of problems in getting my wireless card working.

Rajat (Nov 11, 2002 9:20:59 PM)
How does the career center help international students with their job search, especially in this downturn?

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:21:11 PM)
yyy- We look at the quality of the experience, not the number of years.

Nicky (Nov 11, 2002 9:21:23 PM)
I would like to visit the campus in late Nov. Can anybody from the school help and show me the campus? I checked the web, but I only found the info session posted.

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:21:52 PM)
Jiangze Bian – We have different music clubs in the Johnson School, one of which is the sound investments which is an a-capella team which Angie is actually part of. In addition, there is a new band formed this year by first year students. Though the academic part takes a lot of time, you can set some time aside for extracurricular activities like this.

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:22:25 PM)
cmklee222 - It can go either way. The main point is what you have done with your experience - what impact you have had on your employers' organizations, how you have provided leadership and what you have accomplished?

templekid (Nov 11, 2002 9:22:30 PM)
Thanks, Nina. So I will just keep my response to one or two words!

steve (Nov 11, 2002 9:22:41 PM)
Hi- I am a television reporter interested in moving into management. How interested is Johnson in applicants outside the traditional MBA fields? (I don't know if there's a way to quantify it with a %age)

apsal101 (Nov 11, 2002 9:22:50 PM)
The transcript for my foreign degree has been sent to Johnson. Do you also need the certified copy of diploma before Nov 15th or can it come later?

CathyDoveCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:22:50 PM)
Jiangze - there are also a number of cultural events in the Ithaca area and on the Cornell campus. World-class musicians come to the area.

ok2tango (Nov 11, 2002 9:23:35 PM)
? Angie - I've noticed many MBA schools recognize the value of applicants with military experience. Does Johnson have its share of Navy Seals? :)

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:24:03 PM)
Steveisgettingready -- the interview criteria we use is as follows: academic indicators, demonstrated record of achievement, focus and goals, team skills, community service and extra curriculars.

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:24:04 PM)
Nicky, We have prospective students visiting us at Cornell all the time, regardless of whether you have an interview or whether you were accepted. Call the 800 number and speak to Michael Corbett.

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:24:30 PM)
Ok2tango – we do have several Navy guys (including myself) between of which couple of seals.

Alcatraz (Nov 11, 2002 9:24:40 PM)
What about the entertainment industry (film or television)? Are there any Johnson students or grads in this industry?

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:24:41 PM)
apsal101 - It can come later.

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:24:55 PM)
Steve - I can say classmates of ours have backgrounds varying from former professional rock band member to physician to government work, so there's definitely great Johnson School students who have non-traditional backgrounds.

Carl (Nov 11, 2002 9:25:18 PM)
I have heard that one of the concerns is that employers from NY do not drive to Ithaca, which reduces chances for students to get interviews. Is this true?

JBen (Nov 11, 2002 9:25:21 PM)
Natalie -- are those interview criteria ranked in any particular order?

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:25:31 PM)
Rajat- Laurie Sedgwick in our Career Services Center keeps a focus on assisting our international students. She has significant connections with Johnson School and Cornell Alumni around the world, runs special programs for resume and cover letter prep, works with students one on one, runs mock interview training for international students, and works with international clubs to focus programs in specific parts of the world. Last year we launched a new mentoring program with alums in Europe that was successful and which we will expand this year.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:25:35 PM)
Alcatraz -- while we do have some grads in the entertainment industry, this industry requires an independent job search.

zen (Nov 11, 2002 9:26:01 PM)
All - I highly encourage you to visit the campus and take a tour. It's a fantastic experience.

Lisa M. (Nov 11, 2002 9:26:10 PM)
Cornell's essays seem be to different from other MBA programs essays in that they seem to allow the applicant to get move creative. What is the reason behind structuring these essays this way?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:26:16 PM)
JBen -- all are important, but we give more weight to academics, work experience, and focus.

Jenson_Daniel (Nov 11, 2002 9:26:29 PM)
Is the immersion in manufacturing a good way to see how companies involve marketing and strategy, or is it purely manufacturing?

Poseidon (Nov 11, 2002 9:26:38 PM)
Are all the accepted students interviewed? And, if it is not possible to come to the campus for the interview, how is the interview conducted? Alums or telephonic?

o.shane (Nov 11, 2002 9:27:15 PM)
(And I vouch for the student life - as a former undergrad - the campus is one of a kind and the community is lifelong.)

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:27:21 PM)
Cornell2003 -we have a pretty healthy banking group here at Johnson. The immersion programs (In Investment Banking and Sales & Trading) are great and get you really prepared for your summer internship. In addition, we also have resources like the Parker Center, which is a state of the art facility with all the tools and applications to stimulate a real trading floor.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:27:27 PM)
Lisa M, we are trying to find out more about you, your passions and what makes you tick. It's important for us to know that you will fit in well with the culture here at Cornell.

apsal101 (Nov 11, 2002 9:27:30 PM)
Thanks, Nina. Is the summer session in TMO option similar to immersion?

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:28:26 PM)
Poseidon – all admitted students are interviewed before the final decision. If you can't come to campus (which is highly encouraged in order to learn more about our special culture) you can be interviewed by an alum at your neighborhood or by phone.

CathyDoveCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:28:51 PM)
apsa101 - the summer session for the twelve month option (TMO) program is when this cohort goes through the core courses. It is not an immersion. Immersions are taken by the two-year program students in the spring of the first year.

Abc (Nov 11, 2002 9:28:54 PM)
What is the difference in admissions for R1 and R2? Is there much difference when I apply?

SS (Nov 11, 2002 9:29:27 PM)
If you had to pick three things that separates Johnson from other schools, what would they be?

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:29:28 PM)
Jenson_daniel: great questions, because the name sounds like manufacturing-intensive. Strategy is definitely a very strong theme throughout the course. As a matter of fact, one of the professors for the SiM Immersion, Prof. Suwinski, has a long career history with Corning, and does a great job of teaching us Strategy, through evaluating how a firm's manufacturing strategy supports the overall organizational strategy. I'd say it's a bit less emphasis on marketing. What I have found, though, is plenty of opportunity to dive further into some marketing classes in the 2nd year.

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:29:37 PM)
Carl- There is no question that it is more difficult to get to Ithaca than to some other locations. Many companies say that they keep coming here because of the quality of the students. At the same time, we are doing more to get our students out to recruiters. Last year we ran about 10 TREKS to many parts of the country focused on organized company visits, alumni events, and individual networking. We also work with students to get to places like NYC Bryce (Nov 11, 2002 9:30:25 PM)
I graduated with a Ph.D. in a biomedical field and went straight to consulting with Accenture. Spent 1.5 there and then founded my own start-up. I have biz/quant classes in my background. Would I be qualified applying to the twelve month option? Do recruiters view the TMO MBA grads different compared to the 2 year students?

Will S. (Nov 11, 2002 9:30:35 PM)
Natalie- how would you describe the "culture" at the Johnson School?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:30:49 PM)
Abc -- there is no difference in the way we look at the candidates. You will hear much sooner if you apply in r1, but don't apply until you feel you are ready to apply with the best application.

hsc99 (Nov 11, 2002 9:31:10 PM)
Vijay; How was placement last year considering the downturn in banking? Are your classmates making any moves to get jobs in San Fran, Atlanta, other big cities?

Peru (Nov 11, 2002 9:31:16 PM)
Do you have alumni in Peru?

edmund (Nov 11, 2002 9:31:25 PM)
Would an applicant have a better chance if he applied in the first round? but the dilemma is that he would have to compete with applicants with strong GMAT and grades.

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:31:33 PM)
SS- the three things that separate us are our reality based education, our connection to Cornell and all it has to offer, and our agility (intense personal environment).

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:31:51 PM)
Peru - Yes we do; we can put you in touch with them if you would like.

pebbles (Nov 11, 2002 9:32:05 PM)
Is it important to have had some sort of management experience before applying?

joseph (Nov 11, 2002 9:32:42 PM)
Do admissions discriminate against previous applicants who have been accepted previously, but could not join because of personal circumstances? Can they apply again, now that circumstances have changed, without being looked at as not serious?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:32:52 PM)
Edmund -- we take the best candidates in each round. There is no advantage to applying r1 vs. r2 if you are not ready to apply in r1.

JBen (Nov 11, 2002 9:33:07 PM)
Are many students involved in the FALCON program in conjunction with their MBA studies?

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:33:14 PM)
Will S – I will take it, as I am a big advocate of the culture. It is very dynamic and encourages people to take initiatives. It is also very collegial and one example for it will be the way students prepare together for job interviews, though they are practically competing with each other.

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:33:15 PM)
pebbles - we're not looking for specific experience, but rather whether you've had an impact on your organization. We're looking for individuals who are results oriented.

Jenson_Daniel (Nov 11, 2002 9:33:19 PM)
AngieMosterCornell: Are you going into consulting after your MBA?

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:33:38 PM)
Hsc99 - Although there is definitely a big downturn on Wall Street, there were a number of us who spent our summer in Banking/TradingResearch, and we did well as a class overall. The Cornell Alumni at all the banks are very loyal to the Johnson school, and we have a lot of support. A number of us will be headed back to New York with some of the biggest names on the street. Having said that, there are a number of students also looking at private equity/venture capital related positions on the west coast.

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:33:42 PM)
Bryce- yes, you appear to have the qualifications we are looking for - advanced degree(s), strong quant background and relevant business experience. Recruiters like some of the consulting firms like the TMO backgrounds because of the heavy quant focus and more experience in a relevant field. The challenge is sometimes to make the case that the technical experience translates into payoff for the company. Sounds like you have a strong case to make.

VM-2003 (Nov 11, 2002 9:33:45 PM)
What are the steps taken by Cornell to groom ethical leaders for tomorrow, especially in today's degenerative scenario?

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:33:47 PM)
Jenson_Daniel - Angie is not going into consulting, but I am.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:34:13 PM)
Joseph, We do not discriminate. You should indicate why you did not join, however, because we do not keep applications from year to year and you never want to leave the adcom guessing about anything.

CathyDoveCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:34:20 PM)
JBen - we don't currently have anyone in the FALCON program; have in the past however.

Carl (Nov 11, 2002 9:34:37 PM)
What kind of financial aid is available for international students?

Fernando (Nov 11, 2002 9:34:42 PM)
Does Cornell help the student's spouse/wife in order to fit the culture of Cornell?

VM-2003 (Nov 11, 2002 9:35:01 PM)
Do you have alumni in Azerbaijan? Would my remote background be a hindrance to admission prospects?

CathyDoveCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:35:27 PM)
VM-2003: in addition to having an elective that focuses specifically on ethics, we embed ethical content in many of the core courses and immersions. We also have had a number of speakers come to campus to discuss ethical issues and frameworks.

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:35:58 PM)
Fernando - There is a great organization for spouses called Joint Ventures. It is a great way for spouses to get connected with each other, as well as many activities at the Johnson School involve spouses, like parties, dinners, etc., so we really get to know our' classmates spouses, too.

allenmarkpinero (Nov 11, 2002 9:36:21 PM)
I am interested in finding out how much Cornell focuses on strategic management.

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:36:33 PM)
Carl – we do have both scholarships and loans offered for international students. As for the loans, they don’t require an American cosigner. As for the scholarships, we have both scholarships for first and second year students.

Jon (Nov 11, 2002 9:36:55 PM)
Repost of question: When referring to quantitative aptitude, are you referring specifically to mathematics or anything requiring numerical calculations (i.e. engineering, economics)?

al (Nov 11, 2002 9:37:21 PM)
How can I contact a current student from China?

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:37:44 PM)
Al - you can email the admissions office, and they will put you in touch with current students from China.

SCruty (Nov 11, 2002 9:38:08 PM)
I am a 33 yr old marketing professional recently laid off due to a corporate merger. I have been trying to get back into the marketplace but am also considering taking time off to pursue an MBA. My concern is my age and taking further time away from building a career. Do you have many students who have made mid-career decisions to return to school, and what has been their success?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:38:12 PM)
VM-2003, I do not believe we have JGSM alumni in your country, but I am sure we have Cornell alumni. Our students come from all over the globe and it would not hinder you at all.

zen (Nov 11, 2002 9:38:40 PM)
Do you recommend exceeding the essay word limit if we have a powerful story to tell in more than 400 words?

VM-2003 (Nov 11, 2002 9:38:52 PM)
What kinds of companies aren't recruiting at Johnson?

Will S. (Nov 11, 2002 9:39:02 PM)
Thanks, Amit.

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:39:47 PM)
allenmarkpinero - We have strategy built into our core, specifically in strategy modules but also in the context of marketing and management, leadership and organizations. All of the six Immersions in the second semester of the first year have both a strategic and operational focus. Strategy electives are also available. Our new Consulting Focus also has a decidedly strategic focus.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:40:02 PM)
Zen -- we want to make sure you can express yourself in a succinct way. If you can't get your message across quickly, the competition will. Think of the 2 minute elevator speech. If you can do this well in your essay, you will have the opportunity to expand in the interview.

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:40:02 PM)
SCruty - The average age of my classmates is 28, so we certainly have people who have come back to school at your age. I think your decision to go back to MBA school depends on what your career goals are. Is it the best way to get to where you want to be?

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:40:17 PM)
Jon – when referring to quantitative aptitude we refer more to problem solving capabilities and ability to make your way through complex data sets and problems. Math capabilities are only one subset of these capabilities.

VM-2003 (Nov 11, 2002 9:40:17 PM)
When first-year MBAs apply for internships, how many electives have they taken in their concentrations? What edge do they have in marketing themselves to recruiters?

Zubie (Nov 11, 2002 9:40:39 PM)
How do you view candidates with lots of good leadership experience who have GPA and GMAT numbers just below the averages for your school?

Fernando (Nov 11, 2002 9:40:55 PM)
Angie: That sounds interesting... Is there any information in the web?

Jenson_Daniel (Nov 11, 2002 9:41:24 PM)
NinaLukinCornell: I like the marketing, management and finance courses at Cornell. Do they prepare you for a career in strategy?

apsal101 (Nov 11, 2002 9:41:32 PM)
what % of students come with energy business background?

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:41:40 PM)
Zubie - we definitely look at the whole candidate, so leadership experience is very important to the overall application and would be great to balance out just below average scores.

adevera (Nov 11, 2002 9:42:36 PM)
Repost of question: is it looked at negatively if more than 2 recommendation letters are submitted?

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:42:47 PM)
Fernando - I'm not sure about the web, but if you contact the admissions office, we could get you in touch with a Joint Ventures representative for more information on the group.

Abc (Nov 11, 2002 9:42:52 PM)
What is the percentage of students from Eastern Europe? Do you have/had any students from Poland?

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:43:02 PM)
VM-2003 - one of the strongest things about the program is the ability to structure your MBA program to your tastes. You can either take an immersion program over the spring (In Banking, Managerial Finance, Sales&Trading, Manufacturing, Marketing etc.) or customize your course load. The immersions are a great way to present yourself to a recruiter, especially if you are a career changer.

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:43:06 PM)
VM-2003 - Students get to focus earlier than at other schools since we have a built-in immersion program during our second semester of the first year. The broad array of immersions allow students to get hands on company experience and gain specific skills in their area of focus. The only required courses during the immersion are the Strategy and Operations Core.

rd1applicant (Nov 11, 2002 9:43:16 PM)
JGSM focuses a lot on service leadership- are you looking for people with strong community service backgrounds?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:43:23 PM)
Adevera, one additional recommendation is fine, but more than that is not recommended.

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:43:25 PM)
VM-2003 - We have recruiters in the four sectors of consulting, financial services, high visibility companies (high tech, consumer, manufacturing), and emerging companies. On campus activity last year and this year has been reduced for all of these sectors, especially consulting. Our approach has been to launch the Career Management Program to prepare students to go after the jobs wherever they are. Our goal is to prospect with a wider variety of companies to get the door open for students rather than necessarily get companies to come to Ithaca.

Snatiago (Nov 11, 2002 9:43:51 PM)
What do you think about the research performed by Stanford's Jeffrey Pfeffer, concluding that an MBA degree doesn't return the investment?

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:44:13 PM)
apsal101 - a new student group recently formed an energy group and is even having a McKinsey Energy Partner coming to campus in coordination with the Consulting Club.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:44:39 PM)
Abc, I don't have my report on hand with me this evening, but you are welcome to contact me at mba@cornell.edu and I will give you the details tomorrow.

Peru (Nov 11, 2002 9:44:58 PM)
Amit, I have done the army in Israel, also.

Nicky (Nov 11, 2002 9:45:03 PM)
What are the three words that uniquely describe Johnson?

karman (Nov 11, 2002 9:46:01 PM)
Are the subjects that constitute immersion courses available to TMO students as electives?

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:46:06 PM)
Rd1applicant – we do have many people here that are interested in community service, so for sure we are looking for more people with such inclination. In addition, we have a variety of courses and extracurricular activities which are related to community service and non for profit organizations such as the new consulting entity for non for profit organization, the net impact club and more.

Enthuzed (Nov 11, 2002 9:46:30 PM)
I'm married. Is campus housing an option? Do you advise against it?

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:46:39 PM)
Nicky - agile, community, reality-based.

CathyDoveCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:46:44 PM)
karman - some of the courses that are in immersions are also offered as stand-alone electives, and these are available to TMO students.

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:46:52 PM)
Jenson_Daniel - Yes! Marketing is quite helpful in that it's where you learn about the basic business frameworks including Porters five forces, the four Ps, and the three Cs. However, the Strategy Core course is the foundation and then the Strategy electives including new product development, cases in business strategy, strategic alliances, and the consulting projects course all allow you to hone your strategy skills. I hope that helps.

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:46:55 PM)
Peru – GREAT. We have here a growing Israeli community.

adevera (Nov 11, 2002 9:47:05 PM)
Does the entrepreneurship and private equity immersion program also cover skills needed to start non-technology companies, i.e., bricks & mortar companies? If so, what companies are represented?

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:47:06 PM)
Snatiago - Pfeffer's research methodology has been widely criticized, since his data is old and not very extensive. Having said that, some of his propositions regarding payoff from the MBA may have validity. As he points out in his article, the exception to his criticisms may be what he calls the elite programs. We believe that we are one of those, different from the broad mass of programs that turn out over 100,000 MBAs per year. We are taking his points to heart and continually examining the value added of every part of our program.

Rajat (Nov 11, 2002 9:47:27 PM)
Dick, can you please share more info on the Strategy focus? Is it like the Immersion offerings? Is there any information on it on your website?

appl03 (Nov 11, 2002 9:47:58 PM)
I tried to post my question several times but haven't yet seen it on the chat...I'll give it another shot. What percentage of Cornell Students are career switchers - for example, from project management to consulting or product marketing?

international student (Nov 11, 2002 9:48:26 PM)
If I plan to start my own business immediately after my MBA, will I be able to get any direction and help from the school?

bigred (Nov 11, 2002 9:48:28 PM)
Is there any difference between the acceptance rates of the 2 year applicants and the TMO applicants?

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:48:51 PM)
Enthuzed - there are a variety of housing options available for couples. Cornell has special on-campus housing available to married students. There are also a lot of apartment communities within a 10 minute drive of the business school that are very popular with married students.

pantagruel (Nov 11, 2002 9:49:09 PM)
Have you denied acceptance to anybody with an extremely high GMAT 770-800?

VM-2003 (Nov 11, 2002 9:49:16 PM)
What career prospects do you foresee for real estate finance professionals among the recruiting companies that come at Cornell?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:49:22 PM)
appl03 -- We'd estimate career switchers to be about 85%.

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:49:24 PM)
bigred - no, there is not difference in acceptance rates.

Fernando (Nov 11, 2002 9:49:26 PM)
Angie: Thank you very much.

steve (Nov 11, 2002 9:49:30 PM)
For any of the current students: what was the biggest surprise you found (positive or negative) when you started school at JGSM?

Wei (Nov 11, 2002 9:49:49 PM)
What % of the interviewed applicants will be admitted?

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:50:01 PM)
international student - two things come to mind: Prof. BenDaniel is a great resource here at the Johnson School for Entrepreneurs. Cornell has the Cornell entrepreneur network, which is a great resource.

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:50:14 PM)
Adevera – the EPE immersion is not targeted only at people who are interested in technology ventures. It is targeted at people who want to launch new high-growth ventures and those that want to take part at the Private Equity (VC, LBO etc.) market. For instance, during the immersion we discussed and analyzed the dilemmas young entrepreneurs at the advertising field faced.

psu edu (Nov 11, 2002 9:50:23 PM)
When you send out offers to candidates applying in a certain round, are they all sent out at once or are applicants who replied early in a round contacted before those applied later in a round?

allenmarkpinero (Nov 11, 2002 9:50:24 PM)
Thank you, Mr. Shafer.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:50:54 PM)
Wei, half the students we interview are admitted (we interview about a third of the pool).

Carl (Nov 11, 2002 9:51:10 PM)
Is it required that one of the recommendations come from a direct supervisor?

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:51:12 PM)
Rajat- Nina just answered a question on strategy that you might want to find for Jenson_Daniel. I mentioned the Consulting Focus. This is a new program designed to prepare people for consulting careers. We have three new courses in Consulting Technologies, Consulting Process and a Consulting Projects Course involving students in real business projects, many of which deal with strategic issues.

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:51:14 PM)
steve - I was pleasantly surprised at how truly collegial my classmates were. I have never met such a highly-accomplished and driven group of individuals, who are at the same time so down to earth and easy to relate to.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:51:22 PM)
Psu edu, We notify the candidates on the same day.

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:51:27 PM)
pantagruel-yes, we have denied applicants with very high GMATs. However, we do not consider the GMAT as the only indicator of past and future performance. We look at each applicant's entire application.

pebbles (Nov 11, 2002 9:51:52 PM)
Repost of question: Is working in the family business considered a relevant experience?

Lisa M. (Nov 11, 2002 9:51:57 PM)
How closely do the students and professors work together? Are professors accessible outside of the classroom? Are they willing to help you if you're struggling or is there a "sink-or-swim" approach?

Fernando (Nov 11, 2002 9:52:15 PM)
If a potential applicant has a GMAT score that is below the minimum that is published on the web, does this mean that the application is not considered?

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:52:25 PM)
Vm2003 - Cornell has an active real estate program, and students from the business school often take courses there. In terms of recruiting, there are graduates who are working with the real estate groups with a lot of the major Investment Banks.

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:52:28 PM)
Carl – Yah, at least one of the recommendations. You want both of your recommendations to come from people who were able to observe you directly at a working environment and that can attest to your capabilities and personality.

south (Nov 11, 2002 9:52:50 PM)
Are students able to leverage past business contacts to bring executives on campus or is it generally planed who can interact with students?

apsal101 (Nov 11, 2002 9:52:53 PM)
Thanks, Nina.

appl03 (Nov 11, 2002 9:52:58 PM)
What are some of the specific resources at Cornell for students interested in a career in biotech/medical devices/pharma?

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:52:59 PM)
Al, no we do not look at income when determining admissions.

hakan (Nov 11, 2002 9:53:08 PM)
Do you have any students from Turkey? Thanks.

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:53:41 PM)
pebbles - the most important thing to demonstrate is what kind of impact you have had on the organization you have worked with. I don't think it matters so much if it's a family business or a giant organization, but what kind of initiative have you taken and what kind of impact have you had on the organization.

JJGrayson (Nov 11, 2002 9:53:51 PM)
Can you give us one or two general pieces of advice as to what  we should *not* do in the application process?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:54:01 PM)
Hakan, we do have students from Turkey.

JBen (Nov 11, 2002 9:54:09 PM)
ABC -- Sorry to interrupt, but 1% of students are from E. Europe according to BW.

south (Nov 11, 2002 9:54:17 PM)
Does the admissions staff take into consideration heavy workloads when factoring the amount of community service a person did pre-MBA?

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:54:17 PM)
Fernando - We do not filter out any applicants, even with below minimum GMATs. Again, we look at each applicant's entire academic record.

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:54:23 PM)
Lisa M - one of the great things about Cornell is the close interaction we have with the faculty. Most of them have an open door policy, and are very available. For example, last year, one of our professors made a round of the breakout rooms at 11 PM on a Sunday evening to check if he could help with a big case that was due the next day.

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:54:47 PM)
South – part of the Johnson school culture is that you are part of the family. As such students have many opportunities to invite guest lecturers to talk at school rather at class or through one of the clubs.

rd1applicant (Nov 11, 2002 9:55:16 PM)
Some schools are looking for the magic 80/80 breakdown in the GMAT. If someone scores above the average, but does not achieve 80/80 should they retake the test?

popo (Nov 11, 2002 9:56:08 PM)
Though I plan to apply Johnson and ILM, how many people try dual degree? If I'm admitted both, can I intern in the summer?

Lisa M. (Nov 11, 2002 9:56:14 PM)
I keep asking this question but haven't seen it in the chat yet. Where can I get more information about the High Tech area of concentration? I'm having a hard time finding any information online or in the viewbook.

Jenson_Daniel (Nov 11, 2002 9:56:18 PM)
NinaLukinCornell: Your answers are great. Thank you.

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:56:26 PM)
south-everyone and anyone (students, admission, alumni, etc) can and should leverage business contacts for educational and career purposes. It is highly encouraged through student clubs, classroom topics, recruiting forums, our Executive Program, etc.

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:56:50 PM)
rd1applicant: We really look at the entire application, so to pinpoint a specific breakdown of the GMAT score that one should retake is difficult. I think it's your call if you think you can make your overall application much stronger by retaking the test.

AK (Nov 11, 2002 9:56:57 PM)
Not sure whether I'm doing something wrong, trying 3rd time: 1) are supp materials such as transcripts and letters of recommendation due on 11/15, or just postmarked on 11/15 and 2) what % of applicants are invited for interviews? Thanks.

pebbles (Nov 11, 2002 9:57:06 PM)
My fourth attempt at asking about the relevance of working for your family business - is it considered to be positive or negative, especially if one recommendation letter is from someone within the business who is not a family member?

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:57:11 PM)
JJGrayson -- that's a tough one...I have a lot of do's. How about don't come to the interview unprepared. Don't rely on spell check to catch errors (my role...not my roll).

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:57:18 PM)
Rd1applicant – it is really more about the complete application. If you have a good “less balanced” GMAT score and a good application as a whole you are just fine (for submission).

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:57:27 PM)
appl03 - We have a fantastic position in the biotech/pharma/medical devices arena, primarily due to our connections with the Cornell Life Sciences Initiatives. We have very strong research faculty and programs in genomics, nanotechnology, cancer, combined with one of the top computer science programs in the country, which is changing the face of this area. Our students have access to these resources, but we are also bringing more faculty in to the Johnson School to teach here. We have a specific focus at Cornell on building relationships with companies competing in this arena.

Guest (Nov 11, 2002 9:57:34 PM)
Thanks.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:57:47 PM)
AK, everything should be in our office on the 15th.

international student (Nov 11, 2002 9:57:49 PM)
Thanks Amit, appreciate it. If I have any further questions, would it be possible to contact you later?

Sang (Nov 11, 2002 9:57:55 PM)
People say that the higher the TOEFL score, the better the chance for admission for internationals. Is it true or do you have to just get minimum score required?

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:58:14 PM)
popo- We have a growing number of MILR/MBAs and currently, about a dozen. If you do the joint program you will have two summers to do internships. The programs are working together to share recruiting information and activities.

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:58:28 PM)
International student - sure.

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:58:54 PM)
pebbles - I don't think we can say if family business is positive or negative. It depends what you have done in that context. Try to get a recommendation letter from someone who is objective, so not a family member would be good.

Nicky (Nov 11, 2002 9:58:56 PM)
Which program at Johnson will help me to develop "soft" business skills? Thank you for your answers.

Rajat (Nov 11, 2002 9:59:05 PM)
Thanks Dick.

VM-2003 (Nov 11, 2002 9:59:10 PM)
What should applicants anticipate in their Cornell interview?

Mengdan_Yu (Nov 11, 2002 9:59:27 PM)
Do you have any suggestion to those who have a Ph.D. degree but no working experience?

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 9:59:53 PM)
popo- just to clarify, we have approx. a dozen students currently doing joint programs including MBA/MILR, JD/MILR, etc. Not just in the MILR/MBA joint program.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 9:59:59 PM)
The chat was supposed to end at 7:00, but our guests have graciously agreed to extend it.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:00:15 PM)
Sang, you must obtain the minimum TOEFL. You must demonstrate mastery in English because the classes are taught in English.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 10:00:20 PM)
We have a very active audience tonight, so I apologize, but I probably will not be able to post all your questions.

rd1applicant (Nov 11, 2002 10:00:37 PM)
If you have visited campus prior to submission, would you expect students to make another trip for the interview or do they have the option of alumni interviews close to home? Is there any difference between the two?

holsje (Nov 11, 2002 10:00:55 PM)
I have not seen my question appear regarding the Park projects... Do the projects performed by Park Fellows actually come from their Park essays? If so, why are there so many collaborative projects?

al712 (Nov 11, 2002 10:01:03 PM)
I'm trying to post this again - How is an entrepreneurial background viewed for applicants?

Guest (Nov 11, 2002 10:01:16 PM)
Thanks everybody there in Cornell for all your help...goodnight.

south (Nov 11, 2002 10:01:23 PM)
amitnisenbaumcornell: can't one recommender come from someone not in a working environment? like an extracurricular?

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:01:30 PM)
Nicky - so many great opportunities exist to help you develop the "soft" business skills. For example, every first year student goes through "570" which is a leadership skills development for managers 3 1/2 day workshop. It gives you a great snapshot of what are your current leadership skills and which ones should you work on developing. Then, after that course, the school offers extra "mini" classes, called LSPs, so you can choose which workshops, like presentations skills, excel skills, or negotiation skills to work on.

CathyDoveCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:01:59 PM)
Lisa M - this year the e-business immersion is on hold as we are revising and strengthening the curriculum. We just added a fabulous new faculty member with significant Silicon Valley and academic experience who will be leading this area of our curriculum. We have very strong ties with the Computer Sciences group at Cornell and bring many of their faculty in to teach specific areas, as well as encourage our students to take advantage of all they offer.

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:02:07 PM)
VM-2003 – you should expect to have a conversation about your background: why did you decide to return to school, what is important to you and why do you think the Johnson School is a good fit. Basically be yourself and really try to think if there is a good fit between you and the culture of the Johnson school (as you know it). Think what will you gain from the experience and how others will be able to gain from your presence in the program.

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:02:18 PM)
Mengdan_Yu - Our one year TMO program is intended for people with advanced degrees and very strong quantitative backgrounds. Last year and this year the market is such that it is difficult to get jobs with no work experience. The best thing to do is talk with our admissions people about your specific background and interests before applying.

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:02:30 PM)
rd1applicant - An alumni interview would be fine if you've already visited campus. However, I would say, that the more you interact with current students to learn about our culture, students, courses, and program , the better.

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:02:41 PM)
Holsje, - no the Park projects are chosen after you start your MBA. The projects are geared towards helping the local community, and the Johnson School.

Alcatraz (Nov 11, 2002 10:02:47 PM)
Thanks for the chat guys. I'm looking forward to applying to Johnson! Good night!

Fernando (Nov 11, 2002 10:02:55 PM)
Do you really think that an applicant with a GMAT score of 550 or 570 has any possibility? Or it is a waste of time for both the applicant and the Admissions Office?

pebbles (Nov 11, 2002 10:03:14 PM)
Thank you, Angie. Along the same line, can the recommendation be from someone who has worked with you but is not a family member?

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:03:21 PM)
Alcatraz - Thanks for joining us!

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:03:26 PM)
holsje - Sometimes the Park projects do come from the essays. Sometimes, a greater community need is uncovered once the Park Fellow gets to know the Ithaca area better. It often works well for the projects to be collaborative, because often the scope of the project is better managed and can have a great impact with more than one person working on it.

international student (Nov 11, 2002 10:03:29 PM)
Vijay: was it really hard to adjust to the lifestyle at Cornell after Madras?

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:03:43 PM)
Al712 – it is certainly perceived as a legitimate background, if not more. Entrepreneurship is one of the rising stars in the school (when talking about areas of interest).

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:03:53 PM)
pebbles - yes, someone who has worked with you but is not a family member would make sense.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:04:11 PM)
Fernando -- it depends on what else you bring to the table and how assured we can be that you will succeed in the program academically.

Lisa M. (Nov 11, 2002 10:04:26 PM)
Thanks, Vijay.

Paola (Nov 11, 2002 10:04:31 PM)
Nina, if I apply on December can I send the GMAT results after applying?

JBen (Nov 11, 2002 10:04:45 PM)
How do you look upon recommendations from non-English speakers? I'm worried about turning in recommendations with terrible English because I'm an American applicant.

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:04:47 PM)
South – for sure it can come from someone outside of the workplace, but it has to be someone who was able to observe you directly in a context related to the business world.

AK (Nov 11, 2002 10:05:08 PM)
For R1, do supplemental materials (transcripts and recommendations) need to arrive at Cornell by 11/15, or be postmarked by that date?

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:05:20 PM)
Paola-as long as the results are in before or on the deadline date.

Fernando (Nov 11, 2002 10:05:20 PM)
Nina: Thanks for your response.

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:05:30 PM)
International Student - I've actually been in the United States for a few years, but we have a number of international students who come to Ithaca. The sense of community that exists at the school is really strong, and adjusting is really easy. Most of us come to love Ithaca in our two years.

vkc1 (Nov 11, 2002 10:05:32 PM)
Hello...I have one query regarding the TMO...Is this option only for engineers and scientists.....what happens if one has an undergraduate study in Engineering, but a Masters  in something like International business or Mass communication and is looking forward to do a 1 year program only....In that case, would you suggest TMO??

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:06:02 PM)
JBen, Your recommender can write the letter in his/her native tongue and then have it translated for us.

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:06:13 PM)
AK - supplemental materials must arrive before or on the deadline date.

rd1applicant (Nov 11, 2002 10:06:15 PM)
Are students involved in reviewing applications?

Mengdan_Yu (Nov 11, 2002 10:06:23 PM)
Do you have any resources for students with a media industry background?

allenmarkpinero (Nov 11, 2002 10:06:42 PM)
How competitive is the Park Leadership Fellow Program and what are your qualifications/requirements?

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:07:11 PM)
rd1 applicant - yes, there are a few students who help the members of the admissions committee in reviewing and evaluating applications.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:07:16 PM)
Mengdan_Yu, can you clarify?

Zubie (Nov 11, 2002 10:07:28 PM)
What are the interviews like? Is there any advantage to having the interview at campus vs. with an alumnus?

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:07:31 PM)
vkc1 - The TMO program is designed for people with advanced degrees specifically in technical areas, so someone with business or communications masters degrees would not qualify.

JBen (Nov 11, 2002 10:07:32 PM)
Natalie -- Can we do the translation of recommendations ourselves?

YES (Nov 11, 2002 10:07:38 PM)
I have tried posting this q. several times- For international applicants the application requires a certified copy of the diploma. What exactly is a "certified" diploma and who does the "certification"?

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:08:24 PM)
Rd1applicant – along the lines of being part of the family, students at the Johnson School can apply to join the Johnson Admissions Group (JAG). JAG members take part in the application readings and the interviewing process. This is done during the second year. During the first year JAG members are hosting prospect students with classes, conduct information sessions and more.

Mengdan_Yu (Nov 11, 2002 10:08:35 PM)
In TV program exchange.

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:08:42 PM)
YES - a certified copy of the diploma is a "notarized" copy. You can either get your university to notarize the copy, or another agency like your embassy.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:08:43 PM)
YES, the school registrar.

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:09:09 PM)
allenmarkpinero - the Park Leadership Fellow Program is quite competitive. The requirements are not set in stone, but in general the Park review committee assesses the leadership track record of the applicant, along with the potential for future leadership success.

Jon (Nov 11, 2002 10:09:16 PM)
Repost of question - trying to get it answered: Assoc. Dean of Admissions: I have many interests that I want to pursue in MBA study. I am interested in operations and corporate finance as well as entrepreneurship. For the duration of my career, I would like to first gain additional experience in operations and strategy and then eventually start my own business. Do my multiple interests demonstrate a lack of focus or do they make me an attractive candidate? Thank you!

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:09:37 PM)
Mengdan_Yu,  I'm still not clear about your question. Why don't we take this offline at mba@cornell.edu and I will get back with you tomorrow.

Abc (Nov 11, 2002 10:09:49 PM)
I am reposting the 'classic' question - what is the average GMAT for last year and how it is evaluated for international applicants?

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:09:51 PM)
allenmarkpinero - for the Park question - that is in addition to, of course, the rest of the application around career goals, academic background, etc

Bryce (Nov 11, 2002 10:10:14 PM)
Can you describe some of the activities that are part of the biotech club?

YES (Nov 11, 2002 10:10:18 PM)
follow up q. Vijay: we can use a public notary, too?

Mengdan_Yu (Nov 11, 2002 10:10:21 PM)
Thanks, Natalie Grinblatt. I will contact you tomorrow.

Mark B. (Nov 11, 2002 10:11:07 PM)
When will the transcript for this session be available? Thanks.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 10:11:17 PM)
The transcript should go up over the weekend.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:11:20 PM)
Abc, our median GMAT was 680. GMAT is evaluated along with your academic record and TOEFL.

AK (Nov 11, 2002 10:11:41 PM)
GMAT vs. GPA. Do these get equal attention? Can one offset the other?

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:11:52 PM)
JBEN- The instructions are in the application. You can have a translator translate the recommendation and send it in or we will have a translator translate it. Please do not translate it yourself.

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:11:59 PM)
Zubie - Although we offer the option of Alumni interviews, we believe that it helps you make a decision if you have a chance to visit and interview on campus. Applicants who have alumni interviews are treated exactly the same as applicants who interview on campus. During interviews, we look at all facets of your experience, from leadership and team building to quality and depth of work experience.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:12:15 PM)
AK, GPA is not a real measure...it's comparing apples and oranges...I look at the academic record.

Pfeffer (Nov 11, 2002 10:12:20 PM)
Hi, I am currently a third year medical student at Cornell. I want to supplement my medical training with an MBA, as I am interested in the business/public health aspects of medicine. Does Cornell have any programs with Cornell Med?

NinaLukinCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:12:21 PM)
Bryce - Please refer to our health and biotech club website for more information. http://forum.johnson.cornell.edu/students/orgs/hbc/

Lisa M. (Nov 11, 2002 10:12:40 PM)
How many years of experience does an applicant need to be considered for admission? If an applicant only has 3 years experience, but has a competitive GMAT score and a strong undergrad GPA, will the applicant be considered?

allenmarkpinero (Nov 11, 2002 10:12:48 PM)
Thank you Angie. Are there any San Diego Park Fellow alumni I can talk to about their experience as an MBA student and a Park Fellow grad?

al712 (Nov 11, 2002 10:13:13 PM)
What % of the Johnson students go to the Bay Area for internships and full time jobs - post graduation?

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:13:43 PM)
YES - Lisa M - the Johnson School looks for quality of work experience, not necessarily quantity. I know a number of students in my class who had 2 - 3 years experience prior to business school.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:13:52 PM)
Lisa M, there is no minimum. We are interested in the quality of the experience and the impact you have had on your organization. How do you add value and get results?

DickShaferCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:13:53 PM)
Jon- Let me answer this, since I have overall responsibility for career services and admissions. In today's market your multiple interests would be seen as lack of focus. It is great that you want to learn about all aspects of business - that is a great reason to go to business school. My recommendation is to sharpen what you want to do next in your career after business school, relate that to your previous experience, and develop a job search campaign that takes you to the next step. We would be looking for focus in any candidate. At the same time, you should plan to explore all of the areas that you mentioned from a learning standpoint while in school.

CathyDoveCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:13:55 PM)
Pfeffer - we have been talking to Cornell Med about collaborating on a TMO program for students with your interests, but it is not yet in place. In the meantime, you should consider applying to the TMO program directly.

AngieMosterCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:14:16 PM)
allenmarkpinero - I am not sure, but we can find out. I would suggest you contact the school and ask for the Park Program and ask to be put in touch with an alum from that area, if there is one.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 10:14:59 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to Natalie, Dick, Cathy, Ann, Amit, Angie, Vijay, and Nina for joining us and to Cindy Tokumitsu and Paul Bodine for their assistance.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 10:15:10 PM)
I'm sorry we didn't get to answer all the questions.

NatalieGrinblattCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:15:14 PM)
Thank you all.

VijayVenkatachalamCornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:15:21 PM)
Yes - yes you can use a public notary if the other two options are not available to you.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 10:15:23 PM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats. Here is a list of currently scheduled chats:

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 10:15:33 PM)
November 18 - Darden; November 26 - UT Austin; December 3 - NYU Stern; December 16 - Indiana Kelley.

amitnisenbaumcornell (Nov 11, 2002 10:15:46 PM)
Al712 – although I don’t have the exact statistics, there are many who are interested in the bay area and eventually go there. As for internships, in addition to the regular job search process the Johnson school has a structured program to match interested students with start-ups in the valley. In addition each year we have the week in Silicon Valley during which we visit around 15 companies in the valley at the context of job search and learning experience.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 10:16:01 PM)
We have scheduled UNC for the week of December 9 and INSEAD for the week of January 13, but don't have the exact dates for these chats set yet.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 10:16:14 PM)
Please check http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.htm#mba for exact times and details.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 10:16:23 PM)
Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

steve (Nov 11, 2002 10:17:29 PM)
Thanks for chatting with us tonight and for sticking around a little longer. Angie, thanks for answering both of my questions.

Guest (Nov 11, 2002 10:17:29 PM)
Natalie and Vijay - thank you for your responses!

Guest (Nov 11, 2002 10:17:33 PM)
Thanks Cornell!

Guest (Nov 11, 2002 10:17:35 PM)
Thank you all for your honest answers!

JBen (Nov 11, 2002 10:17:41 PM)
Thanks everyone!!!!

Guest (Nov 11, 2002 10:17:44 PM)
Thank you.

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 10:19:20 PM)
Good luck!

Linda Abraham (Nov 11, 2002 10:19:37 PM)
Good night.

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room