2004 Haas MBA Admissions Chat with Peter Johnson

2004 Haas MBA Admissions Chat with Peter Johnson

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Chat Transcript:

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 8:58:07 PM)
I'd like to thank Accepted.com for inviting us to chat this evening. We look forward to your questions!

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 8:58:25 PM)
OK. Let's start.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 8:58:27 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's Haas Happening.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 8:58:36 PM)
I also want to welcome Peter Johnson, Co-Director of Admissions, Abby Scott, Haas' Director of Career Services, and Brad Holder, a Haas second-year student. And last but not least, I want to welcome Cindy Tokumitsu and Paul Bodine, Accepted.com editors.

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 8:58:47 PM)
Hey everyone, I'm looking forward to answering your questions about Haas.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 8:58:55 PM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 8:59:06 PM)
In the past, we have enjoyed the spontaneity of unmoderated chats at Accepted.com. However, the increasing popularity of these chats meant that spontaneity occasionally turned into chaos. So tonight, we are going to use a moderated chat format.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 8:59:15 PM)
In a moderated chat, all your questions go to the moderator (me). I will choose the questions that have the broadest application and those questions will appear in the main window for our guests to reply to. You will only see your question in the main window if and when it is chosen. You will not see your question on the screen if it is not picked.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 8:59:21 PM)
Please post your questions, and I will choose as many as possible from the ones you post and our guests will respond. You can also post follow up questions.

Gregarious (Sep 9, 2003 9:00:28 PM)
I have quite a few friends who just graduated from Haas. How do you feel the job placement went? I heard that most people found good positions, just had to leave the Bay Area to do so.

jtcadv (Sep 9, 2003 9:01:04 PM)
I recently read an article in a newsmagazine that indicated that business schools were expecting a drop in applications this year, despite the economy. Is Haas expecting more or less applications this year compared to last?

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:01:16 PM)
Actually, most of our graduates have stayed in the Bay Area. The job market is tough, but our grads are finding work...there are jobs out there.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:01:33 PM)
Abby, what percentage of 2003 have jobs now?

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:01:51 PM)
At last count, it was about 75% with jobs, and even more with offers.

Jason (Sep 9, 2003 9:01:53 PM)
Given all the components of an application, how important are the letters of recommendation within the whole? Can they make or break an applicant?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:01:55 PM)
JT, I am expecting to see a similar number of applications for fall 2004. We had 3,720 for fall 2003, which is a normal number for us, although for fall 2002 we had an all-time high of 4,474!

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:02:05 PM)
Jason, the letters of recommendation are very important, since they are one of the elements that we consider in assessing your professional experience and personal qualities. We recommend that both letters be from current or former supervisors, and ideally, one would be from your current supervisor, if possible.

tanza (Sep 9, 2003 9:02:11 PM)
How has the job placement from Haas been in the biotech sector?

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:02:25 PM)
Pete did I understand you correctly that your volume actually went up last year?

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:03:09 PM)
Brad, did you have an internship last year?

blueman (Sep 9, 2003 9:03:11 PM)
Roughly what percentage of re-applicants got accepted in the past?

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:03:29 PM)
Tanza, Biotech is hot. We're so lucky to be near one of the biotech capitals in the world. Around 10% of our class is headed into Biotech/Med Devices.

BlueJay98 (Sep 9, 2003 9:03:43 PM)
What specifically do you look at for re-applicants?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:04:10 PM)
Linda, our volume for fall 2002 entry was 4,474--our largest pool ever (by far). For fall 2003, we received 3,720, which is a bit higher than our fall 2001 count. In other words, fall 2003 was a bit of a bubble.

kaul (Sep 9, 2003 9:04:14 PM)
Do all the applicants get an opportunity to interview?

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:04:29 PM)
Pete, I think that was the experience of most schools.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:04:54 PM)
Blueman, the percentage of re-applicants who receive an offer has been just a tad higher than first-time applicants--it has been about 14%.

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:04:54 PM)
Yes, I had an internship in sports marketing and management here in the Bay Area. I worked at Infineon Raceway (formerly known as Sears Point), focusing on sponsorship, advertising/marketing/promotions, and event management. A bit non-traditional, but exactly what I wanted to do!

blueman (Sep 9, 2003 9:04:58 PM)
What is the purpose of using short questions instead of regular questions?

jtcadv (Sep 9, 2003 9:05:04 PM)
When applying to a joint degree program at Haas, are applications to both programs evaluated COMPLETELY independently? Also, what percentage of your MBA class is enrolled in the MBA/Asian Studies program?

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:05:35 PM)
Brad, that's great. Could you tell us a little about your background?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:05:52 PM)
Kaul, we do interviews by invitation only, which happens after we have completed our initial review of the application. Last year, we interviewed approximately 600 individuals.

Gregarious (Sep 9, 2003 9:06:09 PM)
This is going to be a weird question. How does Haas feel about international experience? I had the opportunity to hang out with the 'Latin' crowd last year at Haas, and decided to go on an adventure. I am now living in Lima, Peru with the goal of broadening my international perspective, becoming fluent in Spanish, etc. How would those kind of experiences stack up against people who are still making $100k/year and gaining an extra year of valuable work experience?

GM (Sep 9, 2003 9:07:06 PM)
I have a question regarding GPA. I have an overall undergrad GPA of 3.0: the last two years of which were 3.4. During this time I worked full time as well. Are these things that can reduce concern for a below average GPA?

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:07:43 PM)
Abby, do you think there is anything applicants can do before their MBA that will enhance their job prospects after their MBA?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:07:48 PM)
Bluejay, I encourage an applicant to consider carefully what elements of the application might have been weaknesses, and to try to address those weaknesses. If an applicant is not admitted and submits the same material a second time, the result is likely to be the same. Those re-applicants who are successful are generally those who are able to present a stronger application--more significant work experience, better test scores, improved essays, etc.

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:08:16 PM)
Sure Linda. As an undergrad all my internships and extracurricular work was focused on advertising, marketing and sales. I took a break from that to work in IT consulting for 4 years (mainly implementing ERP and CRM systems in the entertainment industry). Coming to b-school was a way for me to transition back into marketing. I entered with a dual focus on CPG marketing (consumer packaged goods) and sports marketing, but my internship has led me to focus primarily on sports.

clare (Sep 9, 2003 9:08:44 PM)
Peter, does overseas management experience sound better than pure technical working experience in US?

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:09:14 PM)
Brad, do you intend to go into sports marketing?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:09:16 PM)
Blueman, the short answer questions are designed to give us an idea of what is important to you and to address a variety of subjects. The purpose of the essay is more specifically to address professional goals and how they tie in with your previous experience and your intended focus during b-school.

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:09:35 PM)
Linda, in terms of preparing for your job search, it's never too early to start. Having a focus is the secret to success, so there is nothing to stop students from starting to network before they come to school. Informational interviews are a great way to network. Start those before coming to school. It will make first semester a lot easier.

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:09:47 PM)
Yes Linda, but that is a very broad field that could take me in several directions. I'm going to focus on sports-related consumer products companies ( a perfect marriage of my two interests), but my career path may also lead me at some point to work at a professional team, a stadium/arena, or even for an agency focused on event management, branding, etc.

Jason (Sep 9, 2003 9:10:30 PM)
How important is community service to Haas? I volunteer regularly but don't do more than a couple of hours each week.

cecil (Sep 9, 2003 9:10:42 PM)
Would non-credit post-bachelors business courses help a weak GPA, especially if I didn't do well in accounting and finance as an undergrad?

blueman (Sep 9, 2003 9:10:47 PM)
How about the job placement for students with pure technical background this year?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:10:53 PM)
JT, for the MBA/MA Asian Studies, each admissions committee reaches a decision independently, as we are reviewing very different things. The MBA/JD is similar. In the case of the MBA/MPH, we actually meet as a combined committee to discuss applicants. We have relatively few applicants pursuing the MBA/MA Asian Studies program, as the MA Asian Studies side is highly specialized.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:11:49 PM)
Brad, what do you like best about Haas? Least?

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:12:00 PM)
Blueman, the key is to find transferable skills from your past to your target career. If you have a technical background, that is certainly valued by numerous firms.

jtcadv (Sep 9, 2003 9:12:36 PM)
If I have 10 years of work experience, most recently as a Chief Technology Officer and Director of IT for Silicon Valley outfits, in my essays, do I have to demonstrate why I want to go FULL-TIME as apposed to PART-TIME?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:13:02 PM)
Gregarious, we value international experience greatly, but you can't really compare international experience with formal work experience--they are very different things. Solid professional experience is really necessary for any successful applicant. Although most of our successful applicants have also had international experience (which helps to set them apart from others), it is not an absolute necessity.

blueman (Sep 9, 2003 9:13:19 PM)
Abby, thanks, but could you give me some examples of current Haas students with technical backgrounds. What kind of jobs did they get? Thanks a lot.

BlueJay98 (Sep 9, 2003 9:14:08 PM)
How does Haas view non-profit management and what types (and how many) courses are there + student groups that tackle this area?

sandrat (Sep 9, 2003 9:14:46 PM)
What might be the best way to get in touch with a current Hass student from my country?

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:15:04 PM)
Blueman, many find their skills valued in the tech sector. Several students have found jobs in product management or project management within technical companies.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:15:08 PM)
GM, I'm not sure I would phrase it as "reduce concern"--at the end of the day, what we are looking for is evidence that a person has the necessary academic skills and is competitive with other applicants. Most individual applicants have areas of both strengths and weaknesses, and our review process is very holistic--all aspects may be important, but no-one is a perfect candidate in all areas.

blueman (Sep 9, 2003 9:15:45 PM)
How about the job placement for Chinese students this year?

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:16:45 PM)
Brad, the next one is for you. And very similar to my last question.

blueman (Sep 9, 2003 9:16:50 PM)
What do you like most about Haas? the least? thanks

JJ (Sep 9, 2003 9:17:40 PM)
To the permanent residents, do you evaluate them as local applicants or foreigners? Thanks.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:17:50 PM)
Clare, since we are a management program, we do seek individuals who have potential for senior management or leadership positions in various types of organizations. Individuals who have already had management experience of some type may have an advantage, but leadership can also be demonstrated in extracurricular activities and in ways other than being the formal "manager" of a unit. If management experience has taken place working across cultures, that might add a twist that would be interesting.

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:18:25 PM)
Regarding my likes/dislikes: without a doubt the best thing about Haas are my classmates. The students here are extraordinarily intelligent, articulate, motivated, and down-right nice. The thing I like the least? Always a tough question, but I'd have to say that the thing I like the least is that Haas is a very student-run school. It's simultaneously an asset (students are empowered to create, change, and build new programs) but at times it can leave the student body slightly over-committed. But that's what b-school is about - time management and juggling lots of responsibilities!

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:18:42 PM)
You have probably heard about the additional challenges that international students face in the job market. Companies are interested in students from all backgrounds, but their visas are often restricted, so some will only hire students with permanent permission to work. The key is to find a niche where your experience is valued and to "sell" your unique skills.

ba (Sep 9, 2003 9:19:00 PM)
Hi. Approximately what percentage of international students get aid?  What is the typical amounts? Thanks.

CindyTokumitsu (Sep 9, 2003 9:19:00 PM)
From which industries/sectors would you like to see more applicants?

BlueJay98 (Sep 9, 2003 9:19:12 PM)
Brad, I haven't studied up on you or anything but I remember seeing your name on the Haas website the other day when I was researching a visit and saw that you are involved with the YEAH program.  Could you talk a little bit about that?

tanza (Sep 9, 2003 9:19:26 PM)
What is the housing situation like? Is there campus housing for students?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:19:39 PM)
Jason, community service is something that we value, but we also view it in the context of an applicant's living/working environment. If you work 70 hours a week in a highly rigid setting, you may have fewer opportunities. We do like to see that applicants have aspirations and interests beyond the workplace and that they have an interest in 'giving back'.

blueman (Sep 9, 2003 9:20:47 PM)
Linda, when will you put this transcript online?

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:20:58 PM)
Sometime next week.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:21:22 PM)
Cecil, non-credit post-bachelor courses indicate a certain motivation, but if they are noncredit (and therefore not graded) they are unlikely to provide us with much solid data. Post-bachelor courses that are graded and for credit provide a more solid frame of reference.

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:21:41 PM)
YEAH (Young Entrepreneurs at Haas) is a program where MBA students mentor high school students who have business ideas. We work with them for a few hours each month over the school year to refine their plan (they do all the work, we simply provide guidance, coaching and lend some business acumen). In April, they present their final business plan to a group of VC judges. Last year my mentee won the competition!

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:22:01 PM)
Congratulations!

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:22:07 PM)
Hi Tanza-Re: housing. Yes, there are several forms of on-campus housing available for students. Some housing is geared towards couples with children (Albany Village), while others are geared towards single students (Manville Apartments, International House). While these are great and affordable options, I would say approx. 75% of students live in off-campus apartments or share houses with other students. The housing market in the Bay Area is NOWHERE near the nightmare it was in the dot-com boom. It's very realistic to find an affordable apt in one week now, no problem.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:22:39 PM)
Can someone apply to Haas part-time and full-time programs simultaneously?

cecil (Sep 9, 2003 9:23:04 PM)
Pete, actually I am looking at non credit courses that are graded. Would those help?

jtcadv (Sep 9, 2003 9:23:07 PM)
Thank you, Linda!

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:23:13 PM)
You're welcome. :-)

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:23:17 PM)
JT, whether you want full-time or part time is really a decision of which program best supports your goals, lifestyle, time frame, and specific needs. If you are applying for the full-time program, we assume that you are already signaling this.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:23:54 PM)
Pete, will applying to both call into question the applicant's commitment to either program and basically doom both applications?

TTC (Sep 9, 2003 9:24:23 PM)
Hi, how many students obtain the certificate in Global Management?

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:25:07 PM)
Abby, what is Haas doing differently in terms of recruiting for the upcoming year?

Jason (Sep 9, 2003 9:25:29 PM)
Regarding part time MBA, is it viewed less desirably by companies in terms of what they're willing to offer you in position and salary?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:26:05 PM)
Bluejay, non-profit management is one area that some Haas students are very passionate about, but only a small percentage of our graduates go directly into non-profit positions. Many of the topics taught are useful regardless of the specific area you enter, others (like 'Serving on Non-profit boards ') are specifically geared toward NPs. There are student groups interested in this area, as well as the separate but related subject of corporate social responsibility.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:26:54 PM)
Brad, what is the typical rental for a 2-bdrm apt?

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:27:55 PM)
TTC,  in regards to the Global Management certificate, only a handful of students get this. I don't have the exact number, but I would say it's between 1 and 10 per year.

blueman (Sep 9, 2003 9:28:07 PM)
Can I change to part time after I get admitted into the full time program? or the other way?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:28:26 PM)
JJ, in reviewing applications, we review applicants together based on the country in which they completed their undergraduate program, so that we are comparing "apples to apples" in reviewing academic performance. Since we don't have fixed quotas for international students from specific countries nor for CA residents, it is less relevant than it might be for some MBA programs.

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:28:56 PM)
We are organized in such a way that has allowed us to be nimble during tough job climates, which I think it is fair to say we are still in. We have 3 industry account managers who are in touch with the market and set up to capture "just in time" opportunities. It has worked really well for us. And we have all new workshops like "The Art of Informational Interviewing" and "Getting your foot in the door".

tanza (Sep 9, 2003 9:28:56 PM)
That was my exact follow up question about housing, Linda...thanks :)

clare (Sep 9, 2003 9:29:02 PM)
Does Haas define a fixed percentage in terms of how many international students can be admitted every year?

jtcadv (Sep 9, 2003 9:29:09 PM)
Does it matter where you take post-bachelor-degree classes? Are these classes taken at a California community college looked upon any differently than a 4-year institution?

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:29:41 PM)
Re: rent prices, some good websites to get an idea of rent ranges are Metrorent.com and craigslist.org. But as a rough estimate, a 2-bedroom apt in the greater Berkeley area (not SF) will cost anywhere between $1000-$2500.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:29:54 PM)
That's quite a range!

Paul_Bodine (Sep 9, 2003 9:30:35 PM)
What can a school like Haas, many of whose grads stay on the West Coast, do to combat the perception that it is just a West Coast school?

BlueJay98 (Sep 9, 2003 9:30:40 PM)
Sorry, I had to take a call but congrats Brad, that must have been really exciting, YEAH sounds like a great program!!

Gregarious (Sep 9, 2003 9:31:29 PM)
I believe that Haas is a member of the Consortium? How does that and recent legislation in California affect your consideration for minority candidates?

tanza (Sep 9, 2003 9:32:01 PM)
Thanks for the info, Brad. I almost moved to the Bay Area three years ago, and rent on a 1 bedroom was typically $1500. At that rate, I would accrue just as much debt from the cost of housing as I would from school.

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:32:15 PM)
Well, there's really cheap apartments in the "undergrad" part of Berkeley (not as nice though), and there's much nicer apartments south of campus in Elmwood, Rockridge and Piedmont (1-3 miles south). I would say $1000 is the cheapest you can find, and of course the upper limit can go very high too. But around $1500-2000 is what most people pay.

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:32:51 PM)
Paul, we have a huge alumni network when you think campus-wide. Berkeley alums are a big help to grads looking to leave the area. Some of our strongest alumni chapters are national and international chapters.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:33:21 PM)
How has Haas taken advantage of the alumni network?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:33:31 PM)
ba, the aid available for international student comes in the form of Haas Merit Scholarships and Haas Achievement Awards, both of which pay tuition and required fees for two years of study. We have a relatively small number of these awards--about 8% of the incoming class receives them. This means that generally 14-17 international student receive these. Some students are sponsored by Fulbright Scholarships, etc., but most international students are self or company-funded.

Jason (Sep 9, 2003 9:33:59 PM)
What's the average age of students? I'd be 29 when I apply to B-school. Would that be considered outside of the curve?

clare (Sep 9, 2003 9:34:06 PM)
Brad, is there a lot of social activities involved in Haas? Can non-Haas student participant?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:34:24 PM)
Linda, no--you can only apply to one MBA program at a time, so an applicant has to choose full or part-time.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:34:31 PM)
Cecil, if they are graded it is more helpful.

cecil (Sep 9, 2003 9:34:45 PM)
Thanks Pete

Gregarious (Sep 9, 2003 9:34:54 PM)
I get the feeling from Haas that they have older, more experienced students than some of the east coast schools.

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:35:32 PM)
I'll take two questions here. Re: age, around 80-90% of students are between 25-32. The average age is around 27 or 28 (5 years of work experience is the average).

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:35:48 PM)
For career search, there are numerous programs involving alum. One is called Haas@work and it's an opportunity to shadow a Haas or Berkeley alum in the workplace. We also have an online network that is top notch. Alumni are pulled into all our programs, both here and on the road when students visit companies in other cities like New York and Miami, where student groups went last year on "treks".

TTC (Sep 9, 2003 9:36:01 PM)
Approximately how many summer internships happen outside the US each year? Where and what kind or in what industry are they?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:36:27 PM)
Blueman, a VERY small number of students are able to change from PT to FT each year, depending on space available. This year, it was 5. You should not count on being able to do so.

Sven (Sep 9, 2003 9:36:48 PM)
Could you elaborate on the Certificate in Corporate Environmental Management (# of students; examples of jobs graduates obtain)? Thanks.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:37:35 PM)
Clare, no, we do not have a specific target number for international students, but we have a loose goal of about 1/3 of the incoming class. Last year, it was 35%; this year it is 32%.

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:38:18 PM)
12% of the internships last summer were outside the U.S. They were in all kinds of industries really. Banking, Consulting, Technology all come to mind.

tanza (Sep 9, 2003 9:38:54 PM)
Brad, how much time per day do you typically spend studying or preparing for class? How much time in outside activities? Is there time for sleep?

blueman (Sep 9, 2003 9:38:59 PM)
What are the major recruiters in IT area?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:39:10 PM)
Jason, the average age of our admits has been 28 for the last five years. The range this year was 23-38; we have many students who are in their early -mid thirties. It's not something that we consider in the admissions process.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:39:46 PM)
Do you ever take applicants straight out of college? IF so, do they have extensive internships and part-time work experience?

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:40:20 PM)
Re: social activities ... yes, there's more than enough to keep you busy outside of class! Every Wed there is Bar-of-the-Week at an East Bay watering hole (some are in SF too), and about once every 2-3 weeks on Friday afternoon we have a big "Consumption Function", which is a party in the courtyard usually sponsored by one of the international/ethnic clubs. There's tons of food, beverages, music, etc - a great way to unwind after the week, meet other students/faculty/staff/partners, and learn something new about another culture. And of course there are countless "unofficial" gatherings on a weekly basis - house parties, going into the city for a concert, play, museum exhibit, Giants game, etc etc. And of course there's Napa, Sonoma, and Lake Tahoe too!

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:40:33 PM)
Blueman, our top hiring firms this year (hired 4 or more Haas grads or interns) included: Samsung, Cisco, Intel, HP, eBay, Apple, and IBM.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:40:41 PM)
Linda, although we are not concerned about age, we are concerned about experience, and it is rare that we find an applicant coming directly out of undergraduate studies who is competitive in this area.

clare (Sep 9, 2003 9:41:15 PM)
Thanks, Pete

jtcadv (Sep 9, 2003 9:41:21 PM)
I didn't see a response to my question on whether post-bachelor-degree courses taken at a community college are looked upon any differently than courses taken at a 4-year institution.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:41:28 PM)
It's easy to miss a question.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:41:45 PM)
Brad, don't forget Yosemite

BlueJay98 (Sep 9, 2003 9:42:21 PM)
And Carmel and Monterey while we're at it. . .

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:42:22 PM)
JT, post-bachelor courses taken at a community college are additional information for us to consider in assessing academic performance--that's it.

Jason (Sep 9, 2003 9:42:27 PM)
Since I come from a music industry background (music publishing), I'm wondering how is Haas' emphasis on the entertainment industry?

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:42:52 PM)
Linda, or the Silicon Valley! One of our Account Managers leads "van tours", hitting all the highlights of the Silicon Valley for those from our of the area.

kaul (Sep 9, 2003 9:42:58 PM)
Hi Pete.....can a candidate reapply for the same term (Fall 2004)? Possible scenario=>one takes the GMAT again and gets a better score

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:43:11 PM)
Abby, I'm talking about fun and beauty, not job hunting. :-)

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:43:45 PM)
Kaul--nope, sorry--you only get one shot per cycle! For that reason, you may want to wait to apply until you have the score that you feel best represents your ability.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:44:10 PM)
Pete, did you accept different percentages of applicants during different rounds?

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:44:20 PM)
I didn't fully answer the non-Haas part of the social question. Haas partners (significant others of students) are welcome at all Haas social events (BOW, CF, etc etc). They are a vital part of our community - they even have their own club and plan activities for new partners on a monthly basis. And yes, you guys are right on - Yosemite, Monterrey and Carmel are some more great places within a few hours from Haas!

BlueJay98 (Sep 9, 2003 9:44:31 PM)
Linda, some of those office buildings are beautiful and Great America is right there for fun!!

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:44:39 PM)
Linda, did we forget Tahoe? For all of us that enjoy winter sports, that's a popular weekend getaway.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:45:01 PM)
Not that I get to ski much anyway, since snow and applications seem to fall from the sky at about the same time of year! :-)

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:45:08 PM)
OK. OK. I guess I'll have to try some of those other spots, but actually we are big fans of Yosemite and go there specifically in January for cross-country skiing.

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:45:20 PM)
Jason, the entertainment club has been very active on campus the last few years. Students have visited firms in LA and NY in groups. We have had a few students go to AOL/Time Warner and a handful of other firms. These firms do not come to campus, but students have been successful reaching out to firms on their own and through alumni. It's all about networking in entertainment, as you know.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:45:43 PM)
By the end of January, when you are knee-deep reading all those apps, I can get away for a few days and fall flat on my face in the snow and huff and puff on the trails.

Gregarious (Sep 9, 2003 9:46:08 PM)
How does Haas feel about applicants with extensive military leadership/experience? I have gotten the impression that many schools are more 'military-friendly' than others. Examples would be Tuck, Harvard, USC, etc.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:46:09 PM)
Linda, we did accept different percentages in different rounds, but we do not have a set goal for each round--it just depends on the strength of the applicants. I will say that applicants in the first two rounds may have an advantage if they present strong applications, due to the limited number of total places in the class.

sandrat (Sep 9, 2003 9:46:20 PM)
Can anyone answer my question regarding, how to get in touch with current students from my region?

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:46:36 PM)
Sandrat is going to get us back on topic -- away from the beauties of California.

jtcadv (Sep 9, 2003 9:46:44 PM)
Does California residency enter into the admission equation at all?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:47:00 PM)
Linda--I am jealous! I did take one three-day weekend to go to Whistler at the end of the second round, but I had to take files with me to read at night!

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:47:32 PM)
Try Yosemite in the winter. It is gorgeous and incredibly quiet and peaceful.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:47:39 PM)
Enough from me on my favorite place.

Jason (Sep 9, 2003 9:47:44 PM)
When do decisions come out?

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:48:33 PM)
Sandra, if you email hsa@haas.berkeley.edu, the team of Haas Student Ambassadors (7 current students who serve as liaisons to prospective students) can work to get you in touch with a current Haas student from your region. Just drop us an email and we'll get back to you within 24 hours.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:48:36 PM)
Gregarious, we have accepted military applicants in every year that I have been at Haas, although we saw fewer of them for fall 2003 entry--possibly because of other world events. We are certainly interested in strong applicants with military backgrounds.

Paul_Bodine (Sep 9, 2003 9:49:00 PM)
What percentage of your grads were hired by the firm they interned with?

blueman (Sep 9, 2003 9:49:52 PM)
What percentage of students got offer from start up in the last year?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:49:57 PM)
JT, nope-- it really isn't relevant for admissions, but does have a significant impact on tuition, as we are partially state-funded.

sandrat (Sep 9, 2003 9:50:09 PM)
Thank you, bradholderhaas

Gregarious (Sep 9, 2003 9:50:48 PM)
What would you say is the number one mistake that applicants make every year? The one mistake that is your pet peeve?

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:51:53 PM)
Paul, I don't know the exact number, I'm sorry. I think it's about 25-40% but I have to say, I am guessing since we don't have that data yet.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:52:33 PM)
Jason, the application response dates correspond to each deadline. For example, our round 1 deadline is Oct 31, and our round 1 decisions go out on February 2nd; the other deadlines and response dates are listed on our web site at http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/MBA/admissions.html.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:53:19 PM)
Cindy, I see you have been lurking quietly--no questions?

TTC (Sep 9, 2003 9:53:21 PM)
Can you comment on both the Global Management certificate and the International Business Development projects. Since students can only apply for one of them, which one is better for a certain type of student?

Jason (Sep 9, 2003 9:53:30 PM)
Do you get a fair number of applicants with entertainment industry background?

clare (Sep 9, 2003 9:53:36 PM)
Peter, regarding communication skills, do you compare foreign-speaking applicants with each other, or do you compare them equally with English-speaking applicants? In other words, are foreign speakers expected to communicate as well as native speakers?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:54:12 PM)
TTC, actually, it is not true that students can only apply for one of them--they are completely independent of each other. In fact, many of the students who do IBD are also doing the global management certificate

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:54:12 PM)
Gregarious, I can answer this b/c I know exactly what Pete would say: the #1 mistake is trying to craft answers that you think the admissions committee wants to hear, instead of answering questions with a personal, insightful perspective. The admissions committee wants to learn about you, not whether or not you can produce canned answers that you think will play well. They can really see right through that - just be yourself.

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:54:30 PM)
Blueman, start-ups are still very interesting to our graduates. They are no longer ALL internet companies, though! If you define a start-up as a company with fewer than 100 employees, I would say that a fair number choose companies like this, that are smaller. I don't have an exact number though, I'm sorry. I will tell you that 3-4 years ago, it was much higher.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:55:18 PM)
Jason, I couldn't give you an exact number off the top of my head, but we do receive a significant number. They represent a pretty wide range, from TV and film production jobs to advertising, marketing, and finance positions in the entertainment industry.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:55:18 PM)
Brad, I was also sure Pete would give this answer. I don't remember if it was Pete or another adcom director who said, "Don't write what you think we want to hear; write what you want us to know."

Gregarious (Sep 9, 2003 9:55:31 PM)
Many admissions consultants suggest that an applicant should be very careful in disclosing the schools that they are applying to. I personally think that question is a little inappropriate. How does Haas feel about people who are applying to the 'Big-4' in Cal.-UCLA, USC, Stanford, and Cal?

TTC (Sep 9, 2003 9:55:37 PM)
Thanks, Pete

tanza (Sep 9, 2003 9:55:43 PM)
How easily can students without finance or economics backgrounds "get up to speed" with their classmates with these backgrounds?

Gregarious (Sep 9, 2003 9:55:50 PM)
Thanks brad, I agree. Stop trying to push the 'happy buttons'...just shoot straight and let the chips fall where they may.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:56:23 PM)
Clare, non-native speakers of English need to be able to communicate effectively in a classroom or team setting as well as keep up with the reading and writing demands. Having said that, it is rare that a non-native speaker has fluency equivalent to a native speaker.

Sven (Sep 9, 2003 9:56:35 PM)
I am interested in the certificate in corporate environmental management. How many students on average pursue this certificate and what are examples of jobs that graduates obtain?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:56:50 PM)
Linda--we say it so often, that almost any of our students could answer it!

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:57:33 PM)
Peter, how do you go through an applicant's file?

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:57:36 PM)
Tanza, Math Camp is offered for 2 weeks before school starts. It's a great way to get up to speed on finance and economics quickly.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:58:09 PM)
Abby, do you think that career changers are currently at a disadvantage?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:58:11 PM)
Gregarious, we use this data for statistical purposes and to know which institution are our main competition--it is in no way used in reaching an admission decision! I realize that this may not be true for all MBA programs (in fact, I know it isn't) and so I caution that I am only speaking for Haas in this regard.

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:58:29 PM)
Gregarious, the admissions committee fully expects that most Haas applicants are also applying to Anderson, Marshall, Stanford, etc - it's not really seen as a positive or negative at all.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 9:59:00 PM)
Sven, it is a relatively small number--I'd guess 4 or 5 max per year. The demands of completing that certificate (spending some weekends at UCSC) usually weed out people who don't have a pretty strong interest. Having said that, the people who do are really passionate about it!

Gregarious (Sep 9, 2003 9:59:02 PM)
Thank you gentlemen for your candor

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 9:59:43 PM)
What initiatives has Dean Campbell undertaken since becoming dean?

Jason (Sep 9, 2003 10:00:03 PM)
How would Prop 154 (correct number?) affect Haas' recruitment of minority applicants?

jtcadv (Sep 9, 2003 10:00:25 PM)
I assume that since you have such a large group of well-qualified applicants to choose from, you try and get a diversity of interests and experience. How do you compare a "poet" who has excellent grades in social sciences and philosophy and scored perfectly on the verbal GMAT, but hasn't done well on the quant part of the GMAT, with a finance person who 730 on the GMAT, but has little else to offer? My point, the world needs MBA educated poets as well as finance guys.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 10:01:45 PM)
Abby can you comment on the types of jobs graduates of the corp. environmental management program obtain?

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 10:01:52 PM)
Linda and all, I see successful career changers every day. The key is to start with a focus and then to prepare like crazy for the interview (and I don't mean the night before). You have to think strategically about how your background is relevant to the target job, and then you have to communicate that effectively. I often tell students to think like you have the job!

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 10:02:15 PM)
Linda, that would take some time to discuss here, but some of the things Dean Campbell has been particularly interested in are ethics and corporate social responsibility.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 10:02:43 PM)
Our guests are going to have to leave soon. So we will continue until 7:10 PT.

BlueJay98 (Sep 9, 2003 10:03:27 PM)
Pete, Brad, Abby, everyone thanks for taking my questions, it's time for me to get going but I look forward to my campus visit and getting that application out to you guys.

Gregarious (Sep 9, 2003 10:03:34 PM)
Ok, lets flip the coin. Can you give me the most impressive example or similarity in your BEST applications? It is akin to asking during a job interview, what qualities does your best..______....possess?

CindyTokumitsu (Sep 9, 2003 10:03:34 PM)
I have to sign off -- thank you, everyone from Haas, for a very informative chat. Good luck to all the applicants!

bradholderhaas (Sep 9, 2003 10:04:05 PM)
You're welcome, Gregarious & BlueJay. I hope this was helpful for everyone!

Gregarious (Sep 9, 2003 10:04:17 PM)
thanks brad

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 10:04:23 PM)
TTC, we do seek a diversity of experience in our admissions. Again, our review process is pretty holistic. Because quant methods are used so much in the core in particular, you really need to show ability either in your UG course work, or the GMAT, or both. If the UG record has little quant work, the GMAT quant sub score becomes even more important, as it is the only data point we have.

clare (Sep 9, 2003 10:04:24 PM)
Thanks you all!

TTC (Sep 9, 2003 10:04:37 PM)
Thanks everyone for the chat.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 10:04:54 PM)
Bluejay, you're welcome. Thanks for the questions.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 10:05:10 PM)
Gregarious, that would be a little too much like coaching, wouldn't it? :-)

jtcadv (Sep 9, 2003 10:05:12 PM)
Hence, the finance guy wins!

AbbyScottHaas (Sep 9, 2003 10:05:21 PM)
Linda, the certificate does not define the career direction, but it does help signal to an employer that you are serious about the category and that you have learned a great deal about it as an MBA.

Gregarious (Sep 9, 2003 10:05:30 PM)
hey! I am in sales, got to ask!

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 10:05:37 PM)
Thanks for clarifying Abby.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 10:06:07 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to Peter, Brad, and Abby for joining us this evening and to Paul and Cindy for their assistance.

jtcadv (Sep 9, 2003 10:06:11 PM)
Thank you for answering all the questions!

Guest (Sep 9, 2003 10:06:15 PM)
Thanks again! This has been helpful and I look forward to visiting Berkeley soon.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 10:06:17 PM)
JT--not at all--the poet just has to demonstrate that he can do the quant work. If you want an example, how about this--we had 187 applicants last year with GMAT scores over 750, and we rejected 75% of them--mostly because they were not accomplished in other ways that were important to us.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 10:06:23 PM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats, and here is a list of the upcoming scheduled chats:

PeteJohnsonHaas (Sep 9, 2003 10:06:39 PM)
Thanks all, and best of luck on all of your B-school applications!!!

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 10:06:47 PM)
Pete, I'm really glad you provided that stat.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 10:06:48 PM)
Darden -- Dawna Clarke September 16, 2003

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 10:06:55 PM)
Michigan - Kris Nebel on October 2

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 10:07:01 PM)
NYU - October 6

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 10:07:08 PM)
Chicago, UT, Cornell, CMU, and MIT are some of the schools on deck. To sign up for chat announcements, please send an e-mail to mbachat@accepted.com .

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 10:07:18 PM)
Please check the Web site for exact times and details.

Linda Abraham (Sep 9, 2003 10:07:25 PM)
Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

Paul_Bodine (Sep 9, 2003 10:07:30 PM)
Thank you Haas for your time. Best of luck to everyone!

Sven (Sep 9, 2003 10:07:32 PM)
Thank you all!

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room