2004 UMBS MBA Admissions Chat with Kris Nebel

2004 UMBS MBA Admissions Chat with Kris Nebel

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Chat Transcript:

brs (Oct 2, 2003 8:55:39 PM)
Hi all....thanks Linda for this wonderful opportunity!

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 8:55:41 PM)
Welcome, all.

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 8:55:51 PM)
Hi Linda! I have read many of your sessions, you're great :)

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 8:55:51 PM)
You're welcome, brs.

KrisNebelUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 8:56:08 PM)
Greetings from Ann Arbor!

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 8:56:26 PM)
Thanks! Tuckguy.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 8:58:41 PM)
OK. let's start.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 8:58:53 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's chat, Michigan Matters.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 8:59:03 PM)
I also want to welcome Kris Nebel, Michigan's Director of MBA Admissions; Al Controne, Director, Office of Career Development, Alison Poett, second-year student; and William Lewallen, second-year student to our chat today.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 8:59:18 PM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 8:59:33 PM)
I encourage dialogue and discussion, but I would like to suggest a structure to make it easier to follow the threads of conversation. So here is the protocol: We will post material to the chat. If you have a question on that material, please type a '?' and then your question. I and/or other participants will reply. If one of you wants to comment on the current topic, please jump right in. If you want to start a different topic, please type '?'.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 8:59:44 PM)
If the crowd this evening grows and a moderated chat would be more beneficial, we'll switch to that format to avoid the chaotic feel that some other chats have had. When we switch to a moderated chat, all your questions will come to me. I will choose the questions that have the broadest application and those questions will appear in the main window for our Michigan guests to reply to. If and when we switch to a moderated format, you will only see your question in the main window if it is chosen.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 8:59:58 PM)
Final request: We would like to avoid the brief summary of qualifications (or even the long laundry list) followed by the question, "Can I qualify?" Or "What are my chances?" This isn't the forum for that kind of question.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:00:09 PM)
Other than that limitation, this is your chance to ask questions about Michigan's program and admissions policies. But I would like to start by asking Alison to post a brief bio so that we can all learn a little about her interests and background. I have William's and will post it now:

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:00:17 PM)
Prior to coming to Michigan, William worked in various corporate development, finance, and investor relations roles in the telecom and technology industries. Immediately prior to school, he co-founded and served as the CFO of a venture-backed enterprise software company. At Michigan, he's concentrating his studies in marketing and corporate strategy and serves as a team leader on the Wolverine Venture Fund.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:00:40 PM)
Kris, what's new at Michigan?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:01:04 PM)
We have had a lot happening - on the admissions side, all of our essays are new. On the school side, our new Tozzi Center is great, and we have a lot planned for the curriculum for this next year.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:01:47 PM)
Why did you change the essays?

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:01:48 PM)
?I have a MS in Chemistry and one year retail experience. Would I need to explain that in the optional essay?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:02:15 PM)
We have a new school strategic positioning, and we wanted the essays, recs and interview to better align with those core values.

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:02:39 PM)
?Hi Al. How was the internship scene this summer? What about the job scenarios for internationals at UMBS?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:02:40 PM)
Tuck guy - depends on if you feel you can address your background in the rest of the application.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:02:55 PM)
Alison, could you tell us a little about your background. What did you do before b-school? Did you have an internship and where? What do you want to do post-MBA?

brs (Oct 2, 2003 9:04:10 PM)
?Hi Kris, Besides the GMAT, how do you quantitatively weigh the applications of two applicants of the same nationality but having radically different backgrounds? Would you choose a 750-IT consultant over a 700-chemical engineer? Consider years of experience are same, both have international exposure and job profile is mostly technical related rather than administrative. How do you factor in the apparently slow growth in a traditional industry such as engineering vis--vis the fast track growth seen in the high-tech industry?

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:04:13 PM)
I'll have to say the administration has been amazingly responsive to student input regarding core curriculum restructuring.

sara (Oct 2, 2003 9:04:19 PM)
?How many applications did Michigan receive last year?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:04:25 PM)
Back on new things - as I mentioned, we have some changes coming in the curriculum for next year - a new elective opening for first years in Fall B, a slightly lighter course load in Winter A to allow more time for internship interviewing, and some changes to our pre-term Leadership Development Program.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:04:29 PM)
Hi Indo. Internships this summer once again were very solid. At Michigan, our internship results are always bolstered by the Institutes and Action-based company relationships that we have.  As to international student outlook, the search always contains added challenges for international students, but we feel very good about our support for our students, and about our results for the international students. 

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:04:39 PM)
Prior to coming to Michigan, I worked for 6 years in B2B high tech marketing in Boston. I would like to go back to Boston after graduation and am looking to stay in marketing, but focus more on the consumer side. My internship this summer was in marketing at Fidelity in their Retail Brokerage Business

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:05:10 PM)
BRS - it really is a holistic review, so it depends on how the rest of the application comes together. We take a lot of things into consideration in evaluating applicants - industry, background, etc.  Leadership comes in many forms. 

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:05:29 PM)
Can I have some solid figures about the jobs for the batch graduated as regard to internationals, please?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:05:34 PM)
Sara - we had about 3400 applicants.

sara (Oct 2, 2003 9:05:53 PM)
How did that compare to previous years?

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:06:09 PM)
Has the current job market changed Michigan's attitude towards career changers?

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:06:18 PM)
Hello guys, I was wondering about your marketing program- how is the recruiting for marketing majors with Biotech/pharmaceutical background?

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:06:23 PM)
Al, how are career changers doing in the job market?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:06:24 PM)
Sara - we were down about 15%, pretty much in line with drops across the country. Bottom line, was that the quality of the applicants was excellent, and this new class is fantastic.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:06:36 PM)
Indo, international student figures are typically 6-8 points behind US in each category. As of July, 81% of the overall class had received an offer, and I believe that international students as a subset were in the upper 70 percentiles.

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:06:40 PM)
?Kris, I have science background. Do I need to take any prerequisites, or would I take longer to graduate?

sara (Oct 2, 2003 9:06:45 PM)
Thanks!

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:07:29 PM)
Preete - Alison may speak to the marketing side, but on the biotech side specifically, check out our Healthcare and Life Science Club - rated #1 recently. Tomorrow is the HLS form, and we recently had a marketing symposium. I'll get you the link.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:07:35 PM)
Preete. The marketing recruiting for pharmaceutical and health care is very strong here. Pfizer, Merck, Guidant, Medtronic, J&J and many others are on campus regularly.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:07:43 PM)
Thanks Kris.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:07:43 PM)
Michigan's attitude toward job changers remains the same - we want students to focus on their career pursuits and then we'll work with them to achieve them. Is it a harder search today than it was 4 years ago?...of course - is it still possible to do - absolutely.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:07:52 PM)
Tuck -we require calculus as a prerequisite for all folks.

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:08:18 PM)
Got that, but I did it 10 years ago :)

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:08:19 PM)
I worked for Pfizer in Chicago until recently - I have visited the Ann Arbor site - quite impressive really.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:08:24 PM)
Kris, do you look for anything different in career changers on the admissions side of things?

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:08:36 PM)
Preete, I agree with William. I personally know of many people, job changers and otherwise who had internships through on-campus recruiting in Pharmaceutical.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:08:38 PM)
Here is the link where you can get to all of our student clubs - http://www.bus.umich.edu/StudentLife/ .

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:08:49 PM)
Thanks Kris and Alison.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:08:51 PM)
Tuck - was it college level calculus?

brs (Oct 2, 2003 9:08:56 PM)
?Kris, do you have percentage acceptances for Asian students, more specifically for Indian students? What is their average GMAT? Also, do you have an off hand number on the percentage of Indians with a job offer letter post MBA?

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:09:01 PM)
Another thing to consider in relation to job changers - it's not just changing an industry - you should pursue a Michigan MBA to move you up in terms of responsibility - from line into management.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:09:01 PM)
Preete - the state of Michigan is also investing heavily in developing a life sciences corridor. Lots of startups in the area.

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:09:03 PM)
Yup Kris, and LOTS of it ...

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:09:38 PM)
BRS - I don't know those off hand. Our Asian pool is very strong. My guess is the average GMAT is over 710.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:09:51 PM)
Tuck - you should be fine on that front then.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:09:55 PM)
tuckguy - I was in the same position as you. In the first year, calculus is used in finance and econ and it definitely comes back as you do it. If you want to brush up, we do have options before classes start.

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:09:57 PM)
?Hi Kris.  Does going for MBA right after MS trouble the admissions people although the applicant has solid reasons to do so and has 5 years experience in industry prior to doing MS?

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:10:16 PM)
Thanx Alison :)

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:10:30 PM)
Our preterm is being extended to have more fundamental skills workshops - quantitative (have had), analytical, case, and spreadsheet....

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:10:50 PM)
Indo - we have a number of nontraditional folks, don't worry.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:11:00 PM)
Indo - sorry, misread...

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:11:10 PM)
no problem go for it now:)

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:11:12 PM)
brs - International students with an offer as of July for the class of 2003 was in the upper 70s, and Asian students were representative within that group.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:11:20 PM)
Misread! What I meant to say is just be sure to explain your story.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:11:24 PM)
It is frequently assumed on the message boards that certain nationalities should have a higher GMAT if they want to get accepted than others -- Indians and Chinese in particular. Is that true at Michigan?

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:11:27 PM)
How do you look at work experience that is slightly on the lighter side - I have 2 yrs of work experience but I feel strongly that the time is right for an MBA and I would not benefit from staying in the same capacity much longer - If a candidate writes an essay to reflect the same idea- would you be able to look beyond the length of work experience in terms of years ?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:12:21 PM)
Linda - we look at the pool overall, but when you get a number of top applicants from a specific region, it does drive the scores and expectations up. Our average for admitted students overall was about 700, and I do think Asia was higher than that.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:12:22 PM)
Preete - from a student's perspective, there are people with many different years to experience in the class, which makes it more interesting and diverse.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:12:31 PM)
Preete - the most important thing in my opinion is that your why MBA/why now is solid in your application. There are numerous folks with 2 years who are ready for the MBA.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:12:43 PM)
Preete - you know when the time is right. Some folks are ready with 2 years, others are not ready with 5 years.  We look beyond the numbers and look more at the impact you have had. 

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:12:47 PM)
?Alison and William, what do you like and dislike most about UMBS? -- and I don't mean the weather. :-)

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:13:02 PM)
?This is for Kris; what "one" thing do you look at in all applicants knowing that all applicants have varied background and work experience?

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:13:04 PM)
Preete - we're looking to identify students who will be able to capitalize on our action-based programs, and who can work with us to co-create an experience that will lead to their success. Not all students can capitalize on this, but experience is just one factor among many, and there is not a direct relationships between experience and success from our perspective.

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:13:43 PM)
Al - can you give examples of the action based learning programs at UMBS?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:13:56 PM)
Indo - One thing? Yikes, can't say any one thing, but at Michigan, we want to know you are proactive, have the horsepower, and will work to create a customized experience. There is lots more, of course!

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:13:58 PM)
What about Indian candidates who are not traditional engineers but have science backgrounds - I have an MS in chemistry from Ohio State - but my GMAT may not be in the high range that a lot of Indian applicants have - are they considered in separate light since the background is different but nationality is Indian?

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:14:01 PM)
The weather is a clear advantage for us - keeps students focused on their studies...

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:14:07 PM)
Linda, I would have to say the collaborative environment for which Michigan is well known. It isn't a tag line, it is a way of life. The people I have the opportunity to work with every day are amazing, creative, accomplished and fun people.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:14:08 PM)
Thanks for the helpful info guys.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:14:17 PM)
Thanks Kris.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:14:18 PM)
I'm from Boston, so our winter was better than theirs last year anyway. I like the people, the non-competitive nature and MAP the best about UMBS. Least...crazy first-year schedule, but I suspect that would be the case anywhere...

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:14:21 PM)
Al, LOL.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:14:25 PM)
Preete - we really look at the whole file and don't pigeonhole based on nationality.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:14:39 PM)
Kris, how is a file processed?

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:14:40 PM)
Thanks Kris.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:15:21 PM)
VN - MAP is a great example of action-based learning. I had the opportunity to work for Borders and do a market entry strategy for Mexico, including 10 days in Mexico city. My team was amazing, the project was so interesting and it helped me in my internship this summer.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:15:22 PM)
VN - MAP is a signature Action Based Learning experience, and William or Alison can share their experience. Also, the WVF is another great example.

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:15:34 PM)
Thanks Kris, I knew that you take a holistic view of the file.... still I thought you emphasize on one over the other...as do other schools in some way.

dxbgrl (Oct 2, 2003 9:15:39 PM)
?Kris, how do you look at family business applicants? Is it necessary for them to have worked in an organization outside their family business?

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:15:46 PM)
Also, this is for you all - what is the one thing, if at all, about your program that you would like to see changed or improved upon?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:15:48 PM)
Tuck - you need to show leadership, and if you can do that, you are in good shape.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:15:58 PM)
dxbgrl, absolutely not necessary.

Roman (Oct 2, 2003 9:16:05 PM)
How does the Adcom look at the situation when applicants didn't have any promotions? I have three years of financial services experience and acquired lots of responsibilities during this time. However, my company barely did any promotions mostly because of the tough situation caused by the market. How shall I approach this in my application? Thank you.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:16:26 PM)
My MAP was developing a go to market strategy for a product line extension for a wireless security software based here in AA. They just launched it last week based on our recommended strategy. Pretty cool.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:16:48 PM)
What if one demonstrates leadership in most extracurricular activities but has not had much opportunity to do so at their work place?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:16:50 PM)
Preete - one of the things that has been difficult has been the crazy balance between recruiting and academics. This coming year the preterm will include some career immersion to help students get a jumpstart, and the Winter A will be lightened to lessen the madness. We'll see if that helps.

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:16:53 PM)
Thanks, AL & Kris.  Can someone also tell me how one co-creates a program; I haven't received the view book yet hence the question (Hope to get it soon, as I had asked for it over 2 weeks ago)?

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:17:02 PM)
VN, in addition to MAP, check out William Davidson Institute, Domestic Corps, International MAP, ZEll-Lurie Institute - all of which have action learning components.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:17:05 PM)
Thanks Kris.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:17:06 PM)
dxbgrl - not necessarily.

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:17:31 PM)
Al  - Thanks, will do that.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:17:35 PM)
Roman, from a student perspective, I came from a similar situation where the small companies I worked for did not have a lot of hierarchy, so promotions were hard to come by. I just emphasized my increase in responsibility over time and lateral moves.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:17:41 PM)
Preete - our first essay asks for a significant leadership example, and we do not require it to be professional, so you can draw from other areas.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:17:45 PM)
The WVF is also a unique action-based learning experience here at UMBS. The students screen early stage investments in technology and life sciences companies and seek to make investments of $100-$150k.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:17:47 PM)
Thanks.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:18:32 PM)
VN - through your electives, tapping into offerings via our institutes and specific programs  ( http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba/SpecialPrograms/ ) as well as using resources cross campus.

Roman (Oct 2, 2003 9:18:52 PM)
Thank you, Alison.

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:19:02 PM)
Kris, - thanks, will check that also.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:19:06 PM)
VN - Co creation at Michigan includes access to over 20 dual degrees with other schools at the University of Michigan, if not a dual degree - up to 1/6 of your coursework can be outside of the Business School.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:19:07 PM)
I had the good fortune of meeting the Michigan business women president Alexis Skigen at the Chicago World MBA Tour and was quite impressed with your marketing program. Thanks for coming to Chicago.

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:19:12 PM)
?Are recommendations from present job necessary, or can I have professors do all recommendations?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:19:16 PM)
Tuck - professors typically cannot offer as much insight, but there are cases where you may have kept in touch or done significant work with them and it might make sense.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:19:28 PM)
I would not do all professors.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:19:33 PM)
Is there an advantage to applying in different rounds? Do you accept more people first round than second, second than third?

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:19:41 PM)
Thanks Kris :)

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:20:01 PM)
We don't have set numbers for each round, best to apply when you are ready, but waiting to round 3 can have its drawbacks. International students should apply in Round 1 or 2 definitely, due to scholarships.

dxbgrl (Oct 2, 2003 9:20:04 PM)
?I read somewhere that to show something different to Adcom it is necessary for the applicant to show career progression from a family business to an outside organization? My question comes from the background where I have had the chance to undertake great projects, increasing levels of responsibility, etc.

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:20:07 PM)
Kris, - Although I am keen on an MBA, I would like to go to a school with an excellent Human Resource Management program and faculty. How would you rate the HRM program at UMBS?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:21:04 PM)
VN - HRM meaning Healthcare related? If so, you have great opportunities to tap into our School of Public Health, as well as tap into offerings via our HCLS club - amazing things happening there.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:21:13 PM)
Alison, are you involved in any on-campus clubs or organizations?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:21:23 PM)
VN - you can do a dual degree or instead take up to 10 courses outside of the b-school.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:21:46 PM)
VN - Check around and you'll find that several of our faculty are quite renowned in the OB/HR (organizational behavior/human resource) area. We've long been recognized in this arena. We should talk off-line career, though, as you weigh your decision acotrone@umich.edu .

brs (Oct 2, 2003 9:21:57 PM)
?Kris, I am interested in pursuing a career in operations, more specifically in chemical companies such as Texaco, DOW, etc. What is the job profile for these companies?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:22:00 PM)
dxb - sounds like you have had good experiences, just tell that to us in your application and your full time work experience should be fine with the family business.

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:22:02 PM)
?What three qualities stand out when you consider applicants? GMAT scores, leadership, team work, ....

dxbgrl (Oct 2, 2003 9:22:41 PM)

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:22:44 PM)
brs - have you checked out our Tauber Manufacturing Institute? Great opportunities there. ChevronTex, ExxonMobil, etc. are strong supporters.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:22:54 PM)
I was wondering if for an international applicant like myself who has a US graduate degree and is in the US currently - it is okay to submit certified transcripts from schools in India since it is very hard for me to get sealed ones from India. If admitted, I would surely try my level best to get the sealed ones?? Sorry guys - this is a very specific question. I can definitely supply sealed ones from my school in the US at this moment - I want to shoot for round 1.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:22:54 PM)
I am involved in a few clubs, although I was pretty focused in choosing which ones, as there are a lot of demands on your time in the first year. I am president of the ice hockey club, in the entertainment, media and sports club and a non-profit management fellow, which means I sat on the board of a non-profit last year.

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:23:01 PM)
DIOT = damn, it's only tuesday :)

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:23:06 PM)
?In the second essay of UMBS you ask for professional growth over last 2 years- i think that can include personal growth also including softskills developed apart from academics like doing MS?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:23:17 PM)
Preete - we can get officials from you if admitted.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:23:33 PM)
Thanks, takes a load of my mind.  I will mention that in my application somewhere too.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:23:37 PM)
tuck guy - leadership and team work are key. Also demonstrating a path of progress and accomplishments.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:23:55 PM)
Thanks Kris.

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:24:06 PM)
Thanks William.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:24:15 PM)
Indo - we are asking how you achieved that growth, not what the growth was. How did you experience it, via mentors, stretch assignments, etc.  Be sure to really read the questions. I imagine this year we will have folks miss that a bit.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:24:38 PM)
dxbrgl - did you get what you needed in response to family business?

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:24:42 PM)
Kris, what kind of financial assistance is available for international students?  I have been in the US for 5 years but I am not a resident.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:24:58 PM)
tuck guy - I agree with William on the leadership and teamwork front. Also, interest in contributing to your own experience in that what you put into it determines how much you get out of it. People here really play a role in shaping their experiences.

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:25:15 PM)
Preete, where are you at? Resident status may help ...

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:25:25 PM)
Preete - we have some international merit scholarships, and then we have the excellent CitiAssist Program. http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba/FinancialAid/ .

dxbgrl (Oct 2, 2003 9:25:26 PM)
Al, sort of, but thanks.

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:25:27 PM)
Wow, thanks Alison.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:25:38 PM)
I am in Wisconsin now - just lost my job with Pfizer in Illinois.

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:25:48 PM)
What percentage of the class gets the scholarship?

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:26:03 PM)
I am unsure if international students on a student visa ever qualify as residents, even after first year.

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:26:11 PM)
Pfizer, I have interviewed with them. Try Pharm Sales :)

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:26:22 PM)
Preete - sorry to hear that. We'll be in Chicago later this month for a Meet Michigan reception. Here is the link to all of our events. http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba/forumsreceptions/default.htm .

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:26:51 PM)
Thanks - as I mentioned earlier I met with a UMBS representative last week during the world MBA tour.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:27:05 PM)
VN - see my response above OB/HR = Organizational Behavior/Human Resources

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:27:11 PM)
Alison and William, what would you like to see changed at Michigan?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:27:14 PM)
Indo - I don't know off the top of my head - but probably over 70% get support of some sort via loans, scholarships, etc.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:27:19 PM)
VN - many leading companies recruit here for their HR/People Strategy functions: GE, Cisco, HP...

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:27:49 PM)
AL - Thanks, will mail you offline.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:27:50 PM)
VN - excellent leadership programs in the OB/HRM area.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:27:56 PM)
Preete, you will have options to work on Optional Practical Training or on Curricular Practical Training at Michigan - both of these are within your F-1 student visa. After graduation, you will want to again seek H-1b status.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:27:58 PM)
The facilities are a key challenge here. The administration is working with the architects who did work at Chicago and Wharton...

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:28:05 PM)
That is quite alright about my job loss Kris, I am excited about pursuing an MBA and this was my plan all along - in fact I took my GMAT last year itself.

fryguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:28:06 PM)
Can you write a bit about the aspects of Michigan's program which are globally focused? I'm aware of the imap, and the geographic breakdown of students...what else makes this a program focused on business both inside and outside the US?

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:28:11 PM)
Al, do you see any improvement in recruiting and employment opportunities for the class of '04, or is it too soon to tell?

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:28:18 PM)
?I wonder why UMBS didn't do a tour to the Midwest like in Salt Lake City, Utah...what criteria do they apply to choose a place?  I would have loved to attend a tour like that.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:28:43 PM)
Thanks Al. I think the CPT (Curricular Practical Training) is only for internships and OPT (Optical Practical Training) is available once in a lifetime sorts and I already used mine.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:28:50 PM)
The firm we are working with specializes in working within the confines of existing structures. This planning is happening at the same time as the b-school prepares to kick off a capital campaign.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:28:51 PM)
Changes, hmmm.. I would say class registering is a bit of a bear. You end up getting all the classes you want to take, but the process to get there isn't the easiest.

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:29:00 PM)
Kris - Thanks for the info on recruiting companies. Do consulting firms also hire for Human Resources - I am keen on Business and HR Strategy?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:29:19 PM)
fry - we have terrific offerings to do projects internationally, beyond IMAP, via the William Davidson Inst.

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:29:24 PM)
?Folks, I want to be a professor, so I am leaning toward a PhD. Do MBA's get academic placements?

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:29:33 PM)
Thanks Al.  I can only use CPT because I used my OPT already and that is sort of a once in a lifetime thing.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:29:47 PM)
tuck - if you want a top school you'll need the PhD.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:29:48 PM)
The results for the class of 2003 were better across the board than were the results for 2002 - even as the jobs outlook got worse! For 2004 - we already have more on-campus interview slots than we finished last year with. There is great energy on campus this fall with presentations already - I'm always too optimistic, but it feels better than it has in 3 years!

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:29:58 PM)
I was actually wondering about Teachers assistant internship in the 2nd year?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:30:08 PM)
fry - is there a certain region you are interested in?

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:30:19 PM)
AL, that's great! It's good to hear good news.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:30:23 PM)
fryguy - there are lots of opportunities to focus on international business outside of imap. One core class is international econ. Outside the classroom, we have exchange programs as well as independent studies and summer internships that are all international. One of my imap team members went to Africa for a month this summer to work for the Roslyn Carter center, an opportunity he got through the school; fabulous experience too.

tuckguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:30:24 PM)
Thanks, Kris.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:30:41 PM)
Fry guy - check out William Davidson Institute - focusing on research and experience in transitional economies - Madeleine Albright is a guest with us. If you want international, this is the place.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:30:48 PM)
?How do you use the interview in the admissions process?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:31:11 PM)
indo - depends on potential size of pool, where applicants come from, number of GMAT test takers, etc. I'd love to do Salt Lake City in the winter - big ski buff, but I digress. We are in Denver this month.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:31:29 PM)
VN - I believe that one of the big consulting firms was here last week presenting re. OB/HRM consulting.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:31:49 PM)
Preete, you get a maximum of 12 months of OPT, but it can be used for the internship - the CPT is preferable in any event. The OPT would be helpful for the period immediately after graduation.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:32:00 PM)
Is it okay for a candidate to request an alumni or phone interview if he/she has already visited Ann Arbor area but not UMBS?

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:32:01 PM)
AL P - That's great.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:32:15 PM)
Thanks Al. I used all my 12 months already :)

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:32:17 PM)
Linda - the interview is done prior to submitting your application. I just wrote up a piece on this for our enewsletter - M-Talk, that goes out tomorrow. Sign up for it on our site http://inquiry.embark.com/umich/business/ .

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:32:21 PM)
Thanks Kris- then I think you have dual reason to come to Salt Lake City -skiing and to promote UMBS in this area:)

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:32:36 PM)
The interview is another means for us to evaluate you, but also for you to tell your story and to get insights about us.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:32:47 PM)
Thank you. You have highly informative newsletter. I already subscribed.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:32:54 PM)
Preete - sure, all are weighted equally.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:33:13 PM)
?Kris, do you use the interview as one more way to assess English skills for non-native speakers?

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:33:16 PM)
VN - Deloitte hires HR folks. Also Dell, Dupont, Lilly, J&J, Merck, Lockheed-Martin...

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:33:21 PM)
Does interviewing on campus weigh more then with Alumni interviews?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:33:33 PM)
We do encourage folks to visit to meet students, sit in on classes, see how great Ann Arbor (A2) is, etc.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:33:47 PM)
Indo - all weighted equally.

fryguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:33:59 PM)
Thanks for the international commentary.....certainly other areas I need to explore. I'm most interested in European business - besides Madeline Albright, are there specific professors specializing in international courses/business who you think I should look up?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:34:02 PM)
Linda - most definitely!

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:34:10 PM)
William - thanks, any other consulting firms like Watson W, Mercer, Towers Perrin, etc?

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:34:11 PM)
Kris, I already like AA so much - the red brick buildings in downtown ....still have to see the campus.

dxbgrl (Oct 2, 2003 9:34:13 PM)
?Will you guys do interviews while visiting India next month?

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:34:41 PM)
fryguy - Andy Lawlor or Len Middleton.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:34:46 PM)
?What is the role of students, if any, in the admissions process?

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:34:46 PM)
fryguy - check out Marina Whitman (sp?)

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:34:50 PM)
dxb - Not in conjunction with the event, but our alum interviewers are available now and all fall.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:34:56 PM)
fryguy - one of our really impressive international business professors is Linda Lim; look her up too.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:35:22 PM)
Linda - we have a team of 2nd year ASC (Admissions Student Committee)- Alison is on that. They interview and also read applications.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:35:43 PM)
VN - the HR consulting firms have been the last to return to campuses. They were some of our best partners through 2001, but have yet to feel the rebound like the others have.  However, by the time you start, and complete, I'm optimistic they'll be back, too!

brs (Oct 2, 2003 9:35:57 PM)
Kris, do we have to apply separately for TMI? When can we decide to join TMI?

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:36:00 PM)
Linda, students play a role in the admissions process from the beginning with the ambassadors program doing tours and hosting prospective students. Also, the ASC that Kris mentioned.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:36:01 PM)
brs, Jan Svenar is working on Iraqi reconstruction - article on our front page today.

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:36:14 PM)
Al C - thanks.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:36:26 PM)
VN - totally agree with Al. HR is one of the first parts of the organization to get cut back - this particularly impacts consultants.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:36:42 PM)
How is the admission process conducted - could you please quickly run us thru it?

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:36:43 PM)
?Al, how active are Michigan alumni in helping current students get jobs?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:37:09 PM)
brs - when you apply you can check the TMI box and gear your 2nd essay to TMI, or you can apply to TMI once you have been admitted. Might be better to do out the gate though - you can always choose just the MBA once admitted.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:37:24 PM)
?How are the recruiting efforts with companies on the west coast?

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:37:28 PM)
I recent read about a system at Tuck where they have set up a database with a list of contacts to encourage networking among students with alumni. Does Michigan have anything similar or something instead of that system?

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:37:49 PM)
Preete - it's improving every year. This year we had 10 people at HP, 3 at Palm...Siebel also recruits here. Check out the High-Tech Club. They sponsor the West Coast Forum where we meet with alums and firms in the valley. The alumni group in SF is actually quite large.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:38:03 PM)
Preete - each application has multiple readers. Always a staff member. All applications received are evaluated. Interview is the last thing we review in your file. Resume is the first - so do a good resume!

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:38:06 PM)
With over 33,000 alumni (and that's just the Business School) our alumni are a key part of our career support. Whether it's representing their company on campus, or opening their arms to people headed to Europe or around the world - we could not come close to doing what we do without alumni.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:38:18 PM)
Thanks Kris.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:38:21 PM)
Preete - what else do you want to know?

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:38:41 PM)
I am sorry I just am so interested and have had so many questions :)

fryguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:38:58 PM)
My GMAT scores are weighted towards verbal, so I've taken an accounting and calculus course in the past year to "prove" I can hack it quantitatively....would the interview be the best place to bring this up, or should I simply include it in my resume?

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:39:06 PM)
preete - we also have the west coast forum in the fall which is a job trip focused on the west coast that is heavily attended. I know several people who interned at Intel and others this summer and many who want to go there after grad.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:39:09 PM)
indo - yes, your MS would likely contribute to that.

Profa (Oct 2, 2003 9:39:10 PM)
Hi! How important is the essay as a part of GMAT?

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:39:25 PM)
?Kris - how critical is the interview for international students - its slightly confusing. The site says its important to schedule the interview and at the same time, it also mentions that if the interview cannot be scheduled, the application will be given full consideration.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:39:38 PM)
Impact is our database where our alumni make themselves available to be reached out to by students. In addition, each year, 40 of our students are trained by us to counsel their classmates in the career search. Each of them commits to at least 3 years after graduation to be available to current students for advice. It's really quite robust and inspiring.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:39:42 PM)
FRY - you can use the optional essay to point that out if you want, plus we'll have the transcripts of those courses.

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:39:47 PM)
?Al, how good are the chances of career changers like me (coming from manufacturing/mining to consulting/strategy) at UMBS if I have solid reasons to go for an MBA? I am sorry to say, one of my friends I know just graduated from UMBS has to work as an IT programmer, even now!

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:39:54 PM)
Preete, we also go to the West Coast each year with over 100 students to network and talk with alumni.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:40:12 PM)
Profa - it can raise a red flag if your AWA is poor. But, we do have other essays to go by in your application.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:40:28 PM)
Al, it sounds like alumni are pretty involved in job placement.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:40:32 PM)
Thanks Al.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:40:36 PM)
Profa - nice icon. Seriously, when it comes to the GMAT, you want to do as well as you can. Given the longer essays you write for the application, I don't think it's a big deal.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:40:50 PM)
VN - DO the interview. If you don't and we like your file, we'll reach out, but for borderline files without interviews, we may waitlist them.

Profa (Oct 2, 2003 9:41:26 PM)
thanks, Kris.............:) will do.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:41:34 PM)
How do you use the letters of recommendations in evaluating applicants?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:41:35 PM)
VN - 100% of those we admit are interviewed.

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:41:51 PM)
Thanks Kris.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:41:53 PM)
One last question, I promise :) Do you guys have any alums in Madison, WI I could interview with?

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:42:03 PM)
indo - a student's perspective is that a large percentage of the classmates are career switchers and there are many different resources to help you in that.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:42:08 PM)
Linda - we have changed our recommendation forms too this year - a bit more extensive. They add to our overall impression of the file and give good insight into a person

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:42:12 PM)
Preete - keep 'em coming.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:42:15 PM)
There is no question that the career change is more difficult now than it was 3 years ago, and the firms have the luxury of asking you to trade on prior experience. Since you won't be starting for nearly a year - give some thought to getting some consulting type experience now, so that it can be on your resume as you begin your job search in school.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:42:37 PM)
Preete - check the website for our alum list http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba/ApplicantInterviews/ .

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:42:43 PM)
Thanks Alison and Al Cap.

fryguy (Oct 2, 2003 9:42:44 PM)
Regarding interviews, some schools give guidelines on what they hope to understand after the interview has been completed. Does Michigan publish certain reasons like this, or is it to simply gain a better understanding about the candidate as a whole?

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:42:45 PM)
Thanks Kris.

Profa (Oct 2, 2003 9:43:01 PM)
How important is the educational background? If I have a BA in literature and foreign languages, but I do have work experience in business, can it be a handicap?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:43:36 PM)
Fry, it is more of a whole - wanting to hear your story, your objectives, your personal impact in conducting the interview.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:43:49 PM)
?Do you use the 80% on each section of the GMAT as a cut-off or more of a comfort level?

dxbgrl (Oct 2, 2003 9:43:56 PM)
?Do you guys give importance to name of undergrad institution?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:43:57 PM)
Profa - diversity of undergrad background adds to the class.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:44:10 PM)
Profa, many people in school have liberal arts backgrounds. The quality of your undergrad program + grades + what you do with that educational foundation is what the adcom is looking for.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:44:20 PM)
Profa - I have a BA in psych...

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:44:22 PM)
dxb - the strength of an institution is of course considered.

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:44:35 PM)
So with regular interviewing, one can schedule interviews with alumni prior to submitting the application. . .I see that we have two listed alums in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Profa (Oct 2, 2003 9:44:38 PM)
thanks............cool, Alison.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:44:57 PM)
Linda - we don't have any specific percentage cutoff or guide.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:45:03 PM)
OK. Thanks.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:45:10 PM)
Indo, yes.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:45:43 PM)
indo - pre-matriculation consulting type experience can be done within your current organization or free-lance. Look to switch from your current projects to those that focus on process change or improvement. Those, then, can lead to strategic participation and give you a real leg up when you meet companies on campus.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:45:51 PM)
How do you guys consider GPA - for instance some subjects are higher scoring than others - Also, some foreign institutes have an easier grading system than others in the same country - how do you deal with such issues?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:45:52 PM)
?So what do you guys think of the new essay questions?

Profa (Oct 2, 2003 9:46:05 PM)
If my application has a piece missing or I do not have the required papers (e.g. diplomas sent by faculty, the result of the GMAT or TOEFL is not in the application because of some reasons) do you reconsider my application or I am rejected by default?

sara (Oct 2, 2003 9:46:13 PM)
What is the most common mistake applicants make?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:46:16 PM)
Preete - we look at more than just the GPA- we look at course load, major, grading system, etc.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:46:23 PM)
Well, the new questions are certainly thought provoking and demand lots of self assessment.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:46:28 PM)
Sara - not applying to Michigan!!!! :)

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:46:37 PM)
?As diversity is the "in thing " in all schools to increase class experience, what kind of diversity do you seek, I mean in which areas?

sara (Oct 2, 2003 9:46:38 PM)
LOL

brs (Oct 2, 2003 9:46:39 PM)
Kris, I liked the essays, particularly the first essay.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:46:52 PM)
Profa - we typically move you to the next round, then we will review with what we have, but if things are missing it is hard to be admitted.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:46:59 PM)
sara - in my opinion, it is not having your story together. Why MBA? Why Michigan?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:47:11 PM)
Sara - I agree with William.

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:47:28 PM)
Kris - why are there 2 optional questions and why the 500 word limit for each? Would it be OK, if I have something to say, but may be in less than 500 words for each question?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:47:38 PM)
You need to do that self reflection and understand what you are looking for, what a specific school has to offer, their philosophy, etc.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:47:43 PM)
sara - from a current student prospect, not finding the right fit between you and the school.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:47:51 PM)
Glad to hear the essays provoke that and more.

sara (Oct 2, 2003 9:47:54 PM)
thanks!!!

Profa (Oct 2, 2003 9:48:15 PM)
If I had the tests but the results are late and I sent the file before deadline but I mentioned the possible delay, is that ok?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:48:49 PM)
VN - yes! the limit is so you don't go over. The one is the general option essay tell us anomalies, etc. The diversity one is a different one you can choose to do if you have a compelling tale to tell.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:48:50 PM)
Sara - Don't over think - rather, draw a "flow" from your first job after undergrad, through your current experience, through the experience you'll have at Michigan, and then into your post-graduate vocation - then use that to explain why a Michigan MBA is the right one for you.

brs (Oct 2, 2003 9:49:11 PM)
?Kris, in the second essay is it necessary to explain professional growth in the last two years, or can we explain it for the best period of our professional experience?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:49:12 PM)
Profa - send your unofficial scores if you have them.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:49:49 PM)
brs - hmmm, I think if you speak to how you have achieved growth in the recent past, whether that be 2 yrs or 5 yrs, that should be ok.

Profa (Oct 2, 2003 9:49:56 PM)
If the diplomas are certified copies but NOT sent by the faculty I graduated from, is that ok?

Profa (Oct 2, 2003 9:50:01 PM)
thanks Kris.

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:50:06 PM)
Kris - Thanks!!

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:50:21 PM)
I liked the Essay question 3 which gives you an opportunity to explain how business has to relate with the community and different social/personal values are need to given importance.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:50:21 PM)
Profa - yes - we'll get officials from you if you are admitted.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:50:41 PM)
Indo - cool - good to hear. The role of business in society is important to us.

Profa (Oct 2, 2003 9:50:47 PM)
Thanks Kris.

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:51:04 PM)
? missed my question posted earlier on "diversity" ..please reply :)

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:51:16 PM)
I am frequently asked, especially by international applicants, why is community service important? Do you care to comment?

dxbgrl (Oct 2, 2003 9:51:38 PM)
Question 3 is pretty fantastic... makes you think about business in a larger social environment.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:51:58 PM)
All - use your time now and your comfortable situation to network and learn more about the career you wish to pursue. By doing so now, it will be much easier to reach out to people once you are in a program and "pick up " the conversation as opposed to having to start from scratch as internship season approaches. Networking with current acquaintances helps them to "buy in" to your endeavor and everyone likes to be part of a "rising stock!" - that's you.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:52:07 PM)
Diversity is with a capital D - not just race and gender, but truly outlook, background, cultural, political, religion, full time work experience, etc. It takes all forms and adds to the learning in the classroom.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:53:07 PM)
Linda - once again, we feel business leaders have a role to play in society, we have the power to be a strong force of social change. We want to see that folks understand that. Also, we want to know that you will be active in our community and as an alumni.

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:53:10 PM)
Thanks Kris, gives a better perspective and matches with what I thought :)

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:53:15 PM)
I agree with Kris on diversity. People of all races, religions, ethnicities are represented in the class. Also, those with experience in teaching, non-profit management, peace corps, etc.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:53:29 PM)
Past history predicts future behavior in a nutshell, right?

brs (Oct 2, 2003 9:53:43 PM)
?Kris, I have not been part of any official community work.........but I have worked  a lot in my neighborhood.....would that be considered a drawback and would you be convinced about my story or you would take it with a pinch of salt?

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:53:50 PM)
Thank you Al, Alison, Kris and William. You guys have been very helpful and I have learnt a lot.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:53:51 PM)
Hopefully!

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:53:56 PM)
Linda - I think that is true.

dxbgrl (Oct 2, 2003 9:54:01 PM)
Al - Your advice regarding networking is good but the fact that one third of your class is international students ... how can international students do that?

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:54:22 PM)
to follow on to Al's point - networking now also helps people think of you when they hear of an opportunity or come across one themselves, which can definitely help down the road. I am a career switcher and did an off-campus job search, so networking was my life. Once people know you and know what you're looking for, it's amazing the ideas they come up with.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:54:30 PM)
brs - community involvement takes all forms. Your neighborhood is definitely part of your community. 

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:54:54 PM)
dxb - a classic mistake that international students make. I am sure Al will elaborate.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:55:07 PM)
Here is a definition of community service that I provided in an article I wrote on the subject:  " It's "active participation in and assumption of responsibility for your community."  That is an intentionally broad definition that includes taking an active role in sports teams, professional organizations, alumni groups, churches, literacy programs, political campaigns, environmental causes, fund raising for immigrant assistance groups. . . whatever you define as your community.  Community service almost always reflects your values and priorities."

dxbgrl (Oct 2, 2003 9:55:12 PM)
Please tell us more Al.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:55:27 PM)
Super Linda.

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:55:28 PM)
?What percent of the class gets the scholarship?

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:55:34 PM)
dxbgrl: Network within your own circle now, as you apply and are admitted you will have access to Michigan alumni - your undergraduate institution has a similar database that already has international alumni in it, I'll bet. You know someone who knows someone... and this is how you network effectively across boundaries.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:55:56 PM)
Preete - Thanks.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:55:59 PM)
Indo - sorry, I don't recall. It is more limited for international students. Scholarships range typically from 10-20K

VN (Oct 2, 2003 9:56:07 PM)
Kris - if an applicant does not have significant community experience, but has a lot of extra curricular - especially part of college, then is it viewed negatively?

EMatthews (Oct 2, 2003 9:56:22 PM)
Are there any fellowships available that provide a stipend?

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:56:23 PM)
Thanks. The article is at http://www.accepted.com/newsletter/2002/0902news.aspx#tip , it anyone wants to read the rest of it. It's short.

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:56:31 PM)
I agree with Al, networking is the everyday affair but with passion and purpose...right!

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:57:07 PM)
VN - no, it shows that you are active, but if everything, for example, was sports-related, it might be seen as being a bit narrow. That in and of itself is not a deal breaker, but doesn't add as much.

dxbgrl (Oct 2, 2003 9:57:15 PM)
Well you never stop selling yourself ... you start with the B schools :) Then you continue on to your networking.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:57:27 PM)
Al - I was thinking about how sometimes international students don't take advantage of iMpact as much.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:57:50 PM)
E - all of our fellowships are tuition only.

ricki (Oct 2, 2003 9:57:59 PM)
Is it possible to transfer (and to transfer credits) from a MS program (in finances lets say) to an MBA?

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:58:12 PM)
Two keys to networking - don't go out to "request a new position" - rather, permit others to mentor you - they will enjoy it more than you think - and then give them a periodic status report on your progress, so that they can buy in and support you.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:58:16 PM)
We have time for five more questions.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:58:31 PM)
Ricki - we don't take transfer credits, but you can waive some courses and take more electives.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 9:58:59 PM)
?How do you view applicants who already have an MBA? What about an MBA from abroad?

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 9:59:10 PM)
As the job market has taken a down turn in the recent past - how has recruiting of international students been affected by this?  Do they find it harder to find sponsors now even after a UMBS MBA?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:59:23 PM)
Come see us in A2 or on the road this fall - Meet Michigan http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba/forumsreceptions/default.htm .

indo (Oct 2, 2003 9:59:27 PM)
?What is the weight that the adcomm gives to work experience, academics, personality/extra curricular activities?

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 9:59:51 PM)
Preete - our results for our international students in 2003, were better, actually than they were in 2002. We're quite proud of this.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 10:00:15 PM)
indo - the adcom is looking for balance across all of these attributes.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 10:00:18 PM)
Thanks again Al - you guys keep scoring points with your fantastic stats.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 10:00:21 PM)
Indo - there are no specific weightings or points - it really is holistic. I think your past leadership experiences are key, as are your academics to demonstrate your horsepower.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 10:00:30 PM)
Al is awesome!

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 10:00:32 PM)
Preete - that is to say - the search is harder, but both Michigan and the students are working even harder than that to be successful!

brs (Oct 2, 2003 10:00:47 PM)
?Kris, can an international applicant use the CitiAssist loan as documentation to apply for visa?

EMatthews (Oct 2, 2003 10:00:59 PM)
How do you all view times of unemployment on applicant's rsum's, considering the economic times?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:03 PM)
brs - yes you can use CitiAssist for the visa, but it is good to have as much of your own documented.

indo (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:06 PM)
Thanks Al Co, Kris Bill and Alison...you guys are very responsive and thanks for your time.

brs (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:15 PM)
Thanks Kris.

Preete (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:17 PM)
Good Night guys...Catch you later...Thanks again!

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:19 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to Kris, Al, William, and Alison for joining us this evening.

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:26 PM)
E - it is much less of a taboo. Main thing is to tell us what you are doing during that time.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:26 PM)
indo - any time. Glad to see the interest in UMBS!

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:29 PM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats. Here is a list of currently scheduled chats:

EMatthews (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:36 PM)
Thanks!

VN (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:38 PM)
Kris - does an international student need to fill the "Financial support form for International students" as part of the application?  I think it says it can be filled on receiving admittance and so, can I have it once I hear one way or the other?

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:39 PM)
It has been fun! As always.

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:39 PM)
EMat - it's best to be sure to explain why the gaps are there. In this environment, there are some very clear reasons for such gaps.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:41 PM)
NYU - Oct. 8 Chicago - Oct. 20 UT - Oct. 27 Cornell - Nov. 3

dxbgrl (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:42 PM)
Thanks guys.

Profa (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:49 PM)
Thanks guys!

AlCotroneUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:49 PM)
Thanks everyone - Good luck!!

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:50 PM)
Please check http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.htm#mba   for exact times and details.

dxbgrl (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:51 PM)
See you in the India tour.

William Lewallen UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:57 PM)
Glad to joining in. Please feel free to email me with any questions...lewallen@umich.edu .

VN (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:58 PM)
Kris, Al C, Al P, Will, Linda, thanks.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 10:01:59 PM)
Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 10:02:02 PM)
VN - Do it when you apply, but if you don't have proof we'll get it from you if admitted.

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 10:02:02 PM)
You're welcome.

AlisonPoettUMBS (Oct 2, 2003 10:02:18 PM)
me too - apoett@umich.edu .

Kris Nebel UMBS (Oct 2, 2003 10:02:18 PM)
Bye! knebel@umich.edu .

indo (Oct 2, 2003 10:02:51 PM)
bye everybody

Linda Abraham (Oct 2, 2003 10:03:21 PM)
Good night!

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room