2004 Chicago GSB MBA Admissions Chat with Kristen Pawlowski

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Chat Transcript:

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 12:58:17 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's University of Chicago admissions chat.  I want to introduce the Chicago team here to field your question:

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 12:58:35 PM)
From Admissions: Kristen Pawlowski, Assoc. Director of Admissions and an alum from the Class of 2002; Jose Frausto, Asst. Director of Admissions; Christine Balzano, Asst. Director of Admissions and spouse of an alum from the class of 2002.

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 12:58:43 PM)
From Career Management: Char Bennington, Assoc. Director of Career Management and Chris Collins, Assoc. Director of Career Management.

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 12:58:54 PM)
GSB Student: Blaine Barnet, Class of 04 and co-chair for Dean of Student Admissions Committee.

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 12:59:01 PM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 1:00:03 PM)
I would like to start by asking Blaine to tell us a little about what you did before coming to Chicago and over the summer, and what you hope to do afterwards.

Bill Bixby (Dec 18, 2003 1:00:10 PM)
Hello, Linda. I'm really glad to be here!

Atyab (Dec 18, 2003 1:00:16 PM)
How do define good comprehensive work experience?

Wes Barnes (Dec 18, 2003 1:00:49 PM)
I live overseas now and plan to return after business school. How have you helped students get jobs with companies abroad? What can I do to improve my chances of doing so before I leave for school?

triangulo14 (Dec 18, 2003 1:00:52 PM)
Is applying for an IMBA more competitive than the regular MBA?

Atyab (Dec 18, 2003 1:01:02 PM)
What extracurricular activities contribute to a strong application?

ChrisCollinsChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:01:47 PM)
Wes - we do provide support for students seeking positions abroad.  In order to prepare, spend as much time networking and developing a strong contact base before you come to the states.

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:01:48 PM)
I worked at Andersen Consulting after undergrad - in a technology/process capacity - moved from there to a technology strategy/implementation firm. This summer I worked at a start-up as part of the Kauffman Entrepreneurship program - focusing on media/strategy.  I am planning on making a move into strategy after graduation. Either at a consulting firm or a corporate position.

andreak (Dec 18, 2003 1:02:02 PM)
I know that most people applying to business school have experience.  However, I assume you do take some people directly from college. What makes these candidates so exemplary?

sandrat (Dec 18, 2003 1:02:22 PM)
When will the GSB release Round 1 decisions and how will admitted applicants be notified?

Michael (Dec 18, 2003 1:03:06 PM)
I have done my research and found that Chicago's curriculum fits my goals; however, I'd like to learn more about the culture at Chicago. What are my resources for this?

Bill Bixby (Dec 18, 2003 1:03:16 PM)
How heavily is the undergrad GPA weighted?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:03:30 PM)
traingulo14--The IMBA (International MBA) program has changed slightly in the last year. You now apply to the GSB's general fulltime program, and then apply for the IMBA program early in your time here.

randy (Dec 18, 2003 1:04:10 PM)
What should I do if I cannot send a GMAT score in time before January 6?

windymba (Dec 18, 2003 1:04:23 PM)
Have you seen an increase or decrease in first round applications vs. last year's applications?

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:04:38 PM)
In regard to extracurricular activities; there is no set type of activity that we are looking for.  Rather, we are trying to determine if you have made contributions to your community, any organizations, or clubs, and to what degree you contributed. We want to see a level of commitment, you have and what your passions are.

Wes Barnes (Dec 18, 2003 1:04:57 PM)
Thank you.

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:05:10 PM)
Michael--We suggest, if at all possible, that you visit the campus. We believe that the best way to get a sense of our culture is to visit the campus and chat with our students. You can get more information on a campus visit by visiting our website at www.gsb.uchicago.edu .

Nao (Dec 18, 2003 1:05:20 PM)
Blaine, let me know classes you really like, because I have similar background and want to move to strategic part after graduation

vituzzo (Dec 18, 2003 1:05:30 PM)
Can you give us some figures about how many of your international grads remain working in US?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:05:44 PM)
Sandrat--The notification deadline for Round One is January 23rd.

SAS (Dec 18, 2003 1:05:51 PM)
With the market looking like it's getting back on track, do you see more internships becoming available?

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:06:49 PM)
andreak--- Candidates who do not have work experience, or with limited work experience have to show some kind of growth outside of the classroom.  It is rare for students straight from undergraduate study to enter into the MBA program here, but those that have are exemplary- i.e. have started a company, or done something of that level before or during college, have a chance.

ChrisCollinsChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:06:51 PM)
Wes - We've found that students seeking jobs in the region of the world in which they grew up fair much better than students seeking positions in parts of the world in which they've never resided. One of the GSB's strengths for students seeking positions abroad is that we have relationships with many multinational firms that seek qualified MBAs for different offices around the world.

GeckoChaser (Dec 18, 2003 1:07:09 PM)
What kind of internships are we looking at?

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:07:14 PM)
My favorite class thus far has been the New Venture Challenge - in the class you fully develop and present a business plan idea to VC's - fantastic experience. Other classes that have been integral in my transition out of technology and into strategy have been Marketing Strategy and Competitive Strategy.

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:07:27 PM)
Bill--Undergraduate GPA is an important indicator of future academic potential. However, we do understand that applicants change in the years since undergrad, so we also consider your GMAT score and the rigor of your work experience.

ryan (Dec 18, 2003 1:07:35 PM)
I'm sitting here holding my 3-day old baby and one of my biggest concerns in returning to school is the quality of life for my wife and daughter. What resources, housing, etc., does the school provide for families?

srgreene (Dec 18, 2003 1:08:01 PM)
What about more artistic activities, like writing or painting? Do those count as extracurricular activities?

ChrisCollinsChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:08:22 PM)
SAS - We've had an up tick in the number of internships opportunities available via our on-campus interview program. We've also had an even larger increase in the number of internship positions posted to our office. That's a trend we're hoping will continue.

Lee (Dec 18, 2003 1:08:31 PM)
Can someone give us an idea of how the GSB adcom evaluates re-applicants and their backgrounds? Do we know what percentage of re-applicants get accepted?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:08:35 PM)
WindyMBA--We have seen a slight drop in Round 1 applications, however, we are on par with our peer schools. The reasons are, frankly, quite long and complicated, but may include changes in the economy and trends in graduate education in general.

Michael (Dec 18, 2003 1:08:57 PM)
Kristen, I appreciate your response. If admitted, I plan on visiting the school prior to making my final decision. Until then, are there any other options to find out about the culture?

Guest (Dec 18, 2003 1:09:12 PM)
Randy: Please send us a copy of your unofficial scores. However, we cannot guarantee that your application will be processed until we receive your official scores from ETS.

andreask (Dec 18, 2003 1:09:23 PM)
Thank you.

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:09:47 PM)
Randy- If you can not send your GMAT score and have it to us by the January 9th deadline, we can not guarantee that you will be considered for admission in the second round. If you have a copy of your score report and can fax it to us, that would allow us to include it with your file. We may be able to review your file until the official scores arrive. But, since the volume of applications is incredibly high, we can only do our best to try to include your application for review if it has not been submitted in its entirety by the deadline.

CharBenningtonChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:09:49 PM)
Vituzzo - in the past few years, about 60-75% of our international grads remained working in the US.

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 1:09:53 PM)
The guest is Jose Frausto of GSB.

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:09:56 PM)
Ryan--In addition to having a very flexible schedule during your time at the GSB, we have a partner's group, Chicago Partners. I have several peers from my classes with families and though you will be quite busy, they were able to manage family and school very well.

ChrisCollinsChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:10:18 PM)
GeckoChaser - I'd like to respond but you'll need to be more targeted in your questioning. Are you seeking information concerning a particular career area? Also, detailed statistics concerning placement information in available via the GSB's website.

NateW (Dec 18, 2003 1:10:26 PM)
Could any of the alums please discuss how you feel professor-student interaction and student-student interaction at the GSB contributed to your overall business school experience? How do these cultures compare to what you hear of other institutions?

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:10:28 PM)
srgreene- anything that you do outside of work counts as extracurricular. We want to learn about you to know more of what type of person you might be and how you might fit in at the GSB.

yianna (Dec 18, 2003 1:10:56 PM)
Hi! Could someone who wants to apply for the IMBA be considered for the full-time MBA as well?

Nao (Dec 18, 2003 1:11:08 PM)
Thanks, Blaine.  It seems GSB is quite strong about finance, but what do you think of areas other than finance? Does the school provide professors and classes in such areas?

Wes Barnes (Dec 18, 2003 1:11:13 PM)
Chris, thank you. I would think that many of the more desirable US companies hire from Chicago and then staff them globally if they have the skills. Is that perception accurate?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:11:48 PM)
Lee--We look at reapplicants to see what was missing in the earlier application and how the person enhanced those areas in the reapplication. Hence, if you were lacking significant work experience or leadership, we will look for areas in which you have taken on more responsibility, etc.

ed (Dec 18, 2003 1:12:10 PM)
How does Chicago evaluate applicants from various geographic regions as part of its desire for a diverse class of incoming students?

srgreene (Dec 18, 2003 1:12:30 PM)
Thanks Christine.

randy (Dec 18, 2003 1:12:34 PM)

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:12:54 PM)
Nao- the GSB is much more than a finance school - some of my favorite classes have been outside of that department. To see a full class listing and professor profiles, go to our website.

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:13:02 PM)
Michael-- you can visit campus anytime during our academic quarter (even before you are admitted) and visit a class, have lunch with students, take a campus tour, etc. We also have an admitted student weekend program that is in April. If you have questions about GSB that you want to address to students before you visit, you can send an email to askastudent@gsb.uchicago.edu .

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:13:15 PM)
NateW--I found the professors to be VERY accessible. Some even give home phone numbers so you can contact them regarding assignments. They are great about office hours, replying to email and voicemail, as well as staying after class to chat with students.  I can't possibly say enough great things about the professors!

Alison (Dec 18, 2003 1:13:41 PM)
How might I go about sitting in on a class? Is there a place that I can sign up, or what is the process for that?

ChrisCollinsChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:13:44 PM)
Wes - Many companies do seek to staff offices around the world via their recruiting efforts at the GSB. To get more precise information, you might take a close look at our employment statistics which are available on-line. This includes information about the cities in which our graduates have accepted positions.

megrose (Dec 18, 2003 1:13:47 PM)
Given that you do not have the same "core course requirements" as students in other MBA programs, do you feel that Chicago students are more specialized than graduates from other programs? how do you think that this greater degree of flexibility in courses impacts your MBA experience and your marketability, either positively or negatively?

jared (Dec 18, 2003 1:14:02 PM)
Hi, since we are past the deadline to schedule an interview for Round 2, am I better off applying in Round 3 with an interview or applying in Round 2 without an inteview? Thank you.

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:14:34 PM)
NateW - I will second Kristen's response and build upon it. In addition, the students push each other - often asking the tough questions - the why - this is part of the GSB culture and it is fantastic.

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:14:54 PM)
Yianna--You will apply for the Fulltime MBA program just like all other applicants and then apply to get into the IMBA program in your first quarter. It is a truly great program and is even more flexible since it has been adapted to reflect the flexibility of the curriculum throughout the GSB.

Tiger (Dec 18, 2003 1:15:10 PM)
How does Chicago check an applicant's employment history? My manager is my recommender.  But I do not want my company to know that I am applying... Thank you!

Nao (Dec 18, 2003 1:15:13 PM)
Thanks Blaine.

rishi (Dec 18, 2003 1:15:36 PM)
Thanks for arranging this interactive session. How hard is it for an international student to find a job or internship position as compared to the US citizens? Has it changed in the last few years?

Michael (Dec 18, 2003 1:15:51 PM)
Fantastic, Christine! Hopefully, I can get some first hand knowledge from that email address. In addition, what negatives can the current students and alumni address about the Chicago program?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:15:59 PM)
Alison--If you would like to visit a class, you can register for that as part of a campus visit. There is a link on our website to register for the campus visit, which includes a class visit, campus tour, and information session and lunch with current students.

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:16:05 PM)
Nao - I am getting 4 concentrations at the GSB: Marketing, Finance, Strategy, and Entrepreneurship - Flexibility and great offerings allow me to do this.

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:16:57 PM)
Ed-- We do not use geographic location as a factor in our consideration for admission. While it is desirable to have a class from a diverse background, our applicants generally come from such a broad geographic area already that we are able to admit students based on their ability to be successful, rather than geography.

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:16:59 PM)
Tiger: Great question, when doing random checks I am quite certain that we'd follow up with your HR department.

jim barner (Dec 18, 2003 1:17:49 PM)
I'm an older applicant, thirty-eight, with significant work experience. How does Chicago feel about older students? Positive, negative or neutral?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:17:50 PM)
Megrose--Because of the flexibility of the program, students have the option to be more specialized, or to take on more general courses, which ever they prefer. I believe this to be one of the biggest assets of the program. For example, I concentrated in Marketing, Statistics and Strategic Management. However, I also picked up a General Management concentration without realizing it because I did take several courses to round out my experiences.

SAS (Dec 18, 2003 1:18:51 PM)
I have heard that the career resource center plays a huge part in getting your resume set up for internships, and also helps sets up the interview process, if admitted.  Do you feel it is important to search for internships on your own, or do you just rely on the career resource center?

CharBenningtonChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:18:59 PM)
Rishi - With respect to the actual stats, international students fared as well as U.S. citizens in getting an internship - 99.2% of last year's class who sought an internship landed one - the stat is the same for both US citizens and foreign nationals. That said, there are additional hurdles an international students faces, particularly in the last few years. There are numerous resources to assist students, which is why both groups fare well in the internship search.

K - B (Dec 18, 2003 1:18:59 PM)
Will my application to be considered for the second round? I only submitted an interview request on December 11, but I just got a reply that my interview is waived as neither an alumnus is available nor a phone interview is possible. Thank you.

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:19:06 PM)
jared- Not everyone completes an interview and we still admit plenty of students without one. If you feel that an interview would offer you the opportunity to learn more about you and give a greater dimension to your application, I would suggest waiting. Sometimes, while the file is in review- if you have your interview-- the interview report will make it to the file before the final reader has done an evaluation and a decision is made. I would not plan on this, but it is something to consider.  If you decide that an interview is really important to you, then I would suggest waiting for the third round and addressing why you are waiting.

windymba (Dec 18, 2003 1:19:56 PM)
Every school says that all interviews carry the same weight, but does a phone interview make the adcom discredit the interview somewhat and focus more on the other aspects of application such as the GPA, GMAT, recommendations, essays?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:19:58 PM)
Jim--though the average student in the program is 28, there are several who are older. We consider "older" applicants the same as we would other applicants. I had several friends in the program who are older than the average age, and they seemed to be very happy. If you like you can also ask Blaine about the experiences of the older students in his class.

ElenaDP (Dec 18, 2003 1:20:05 PM)
How strong is the international business concentration in the regular Fulltime MBA program?  What are some examples of unique practices in this concentration aimed at providing students with some hands-on learning?

William (Dec 18, 2003 1:20:18 PM)
How does Chicago GSB evaluate the academic record and work experience in other countries?

BradHolbie (Dec 18, 2003 1:21:04 PM)
Blaine - you mentioned that you worked with a startup over the summer.  Could you talk about how the GSB has enhanced your ability to start/manage a small company?

NateW (Dec 18, 2003 1:21:19 PM)
Thanks Kristen and Blaine for your responses on culture. Regarding student-professor interaction, what is the professor presence like on-campus? Is it common to run into professors in the coffee houses? If you bump into a professor around campus, will professors stop and chat with you about non-GSB life?

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:21:30 PM)
K-B: If you were told that your interview has been waived, your application will be considered for the second round, if you have all of your other application materials submitted by the deadline.

ChrisCollinsChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:21:30 PM)
SAS - No one can land an internship for you and no matter where you go to school, you will own your own job search. Even so, the GSB has an excellent career office that has been benchmarked as among the best of it's kind. We will provide personal coaching and support for all your search efforts, and give you access to numerous fantastic companies via our corporate relationships. What you do with these, however, is up you.

William (Dec 18, 2003 1:21:52 PM)
How does the category of my working background weigh? Is a consultant background more competitive than a sales background?

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:22:25 PM)
windymba--- absolutely not. We look at all information in helping to make an admissions decision. We have such a large number of interviews conducted via phone due to our international applicants and not having alumni in their cities/towns. We consider the feedback provided from campus and phone or alumni interviews with the same weight as all other pieces of the application. There is no formula for admission consideration.

Maria1 (Dec 18, 2003 1:22:44 PM)
Could you comment on the relative weight that the GMAT score has from the admissions perspective, versus other factors?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:22:45 PM)
ElenaDP--We have two programs for students interested in International Business. As you mentioned, one is the International Business Concentration, the other is the IMBA. The IMBA offers a more comprehensive international experience, but the concentration can also be tailored to include several classes. Also, many students do their internships abroad. As for the hands-on learning, we have some GREAT laboratory courses. You can actually look at the course descriptions on our website.

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:23:27 PM)
BradHolbie - The GSB has given me the tools to make decisions in all aspects of a business - this is crucial to working in a start-up environment. The diverse course load - including classes that teach the fundamentals and then classes that allow you to apply the tools, facilitate a great balance for future entrepreneurs - Check out the Kauffman program on the website - this is tailored to students who want to work at small firms.

SAS (Dec 18, 2003 1:23:48 PM)
Does GSB have affiliations with international companies, so one can focus on an international internship?

jared (Dec 18, 2003 1:23:55 PM)
Thank you, Christine. Can you give us the breakdown of the percent of the final class admitted in each round? Or, if not, am I at a significant disadvantage applying in the third round?  Thank you.

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:24:08 PM)
Nate--We are currently spread out in a few different buildings. However, the new building will open in September, so the interaction that currently exists (pretty strong) will only get better. It was not at all uncommon for me to run into professors throughout the day.

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:24:40 PM)
William- the type of career you have does not matter. It is more important to see that you have made significant contributions, progressed and learned while you have been in your position. Furthermore, it is used as a way to understand why you have made your career choices and why you want to pursue an MBA at this time.

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:25:21 PM)
William: Our office has a set criteria that is used when evaluating international academic institutions. We are looking to make sure that your degree is equivalent to a 4 year US undergrad degree.

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:25:26 PM)
NateW - professors here are great - they are everywhere and want to speak with students. Recently, I have called a few at home as I am considering several job offers and wanted their opinions.

Ace (Dec 18, 2003 1:25:41 PM)
Can you offer a little guidance on the essays? Particularly the third one, any event in time. What insight into applicants are you hoping to gain from this question?

Rajat (Dec 18, 2003 1:25:53 PM)
I am in law school and would love to do an MBA after law school.  Is work experience a crucial factor or how much importance is given to the internships period during law school? Do international internship have any value?  Secondly, as regards to undergraduate GPA, does it really matter if I have lots of extracurricular to show?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:26:08 PM)
Maria1--By far the most important part of your application are the essays. The GMAT is an indicator of your academic potential, as are your grades. Hence we consider both, if one is weak, the other needs to be strong to demonstrate that you will be able to be successful in the program.

ABC (Dec 18, 2003 1:26:25 PM)
How is recruiting in the pharmaceutical/ biotech industry for Marketing MBA's from Chicago considering the proximity of Kellogg?

gil horsky (Dec 18, 2003 1:26:36 PM)
Dear Kristen - I am an Israeli applicant and was interested in knowing if you perceive military service as work experience?

ChrisCollinsChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:26:36 PM)
SAS - Wes asked a similar question earlier. What I can briefly say is that many students seek internships away from their home company and are successful. It does require extra effort and diligence simply because it is hard to land a job offer when you are so far away. Even so, the GSB has generated many resources to assist students including "treks" to meet recruiters and companies in different parts of the world.

Sm002704 (Dec 18, 2003 1:26:53 PM)
How much learning opportunities does Chicago have for students interested in a career in consulting....will the general management program help me in this regard?

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:27:17 PM)
Jared- We admit fewer people from the third round, but we do not maintain statistics from year to year regarding those admitted during each round. (we also have significantly fewer applications in the third round). If we feel you are a good candidate for the GSB, you will not be at a disadvantage in third round simply because it is the last round.

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:28:10 PM)
Ace--The essays tell us much about you. We are interested in your personality and interests. We understand that our application questions are different from some of our peer schools, but we look for interesting questions that allow you to really show us who you are, what interests you, and why you want an MBA.

ABC (Dec 18, 2003 1:28:37 PM)
How is the recruiting on the West Coast/Pacific Northwest for Chicago graduates?

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:28:51 PM)
Sm002704 - consulting is everywhere on this campus.  To begin, we have a management consulting group that spends a lot of time getting speakers, practicing case interviewing, etc. Next, many classes provide the deep tools that will be necessary to be successful in consulting. I don't know the exact percentage, but many students join consulting firms from the GSB - check the website.

K - B (Dec 18, 2003 1:28:52 PM)
Thank you Jose. 

William (Dec 18, 2003 1:29:01 PM)
Thanks Christine and Jose!

Rhoan (Dec 18, 2003 1:29:05 PM)
Blaine- What do you consider the best trait of the student culture of GSB?

ChrisCollinsChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:29:18 PM)
SM... - From a career standpoint, the GSB is an incredibly rich learning environment. We have corporate partnerships and a wide array of consulting firms including the industry leaders. These companies, students groups, and the school provide many opportunities and resources for exploring the field of consulting.

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:29:44 PM)
gil horsky-- military experience is absolutely evaluated as work experience.  Though it is different than a traditional work environment, it is still very important to your career progression and responsibility level, etc...

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:30:14 PM)
Rajat:  I will respond to your second question, we are looking for a well balanced candidate. Your undergrad extra curricular activities will be taken into consideration, with academics evaluated separately.

CharBenningtonChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:30:21 PM)
ABC - while you're right in that Kellogg's program is pretty darn close, I'm not familiar with their recruiting relationships and the firms that come to their campus (probably on their web site, though.) We have a fairly strong number of biotech / pharmaceutical firms that come to campus recruiting both marketing and finance positions, Lilly, Abbott Labs, TAP Pharmaceuticals to name a few.

NateW (Dec 18, 2003 1:30:35 PM)
Thanks again Kristine and Blaine.

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:30:35 PM)
Rhoan- People here push me - it is amazing - if I have an idea and someone disagrees, he/she tells me and we work through it - that is the culture. Question and collaborate. This exists in the classroom as well - professors teach theories and then are pushed to defend them.

Mayur (Dec 18, 2003 1:30:41 PM)
What are the average class sizes?

ChrisCollinsChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:30:56 PM)
SM...- Following up on Blaine's comment, 76 students landed full-time positions in consulting last spring.

Regis (Dec 18, 2003 1:31:01 PM)
What percentage of waitlisted applicants are actually taken off the waitlist and offered admission?

jared (Dec 18, 2003 1:31:09 PM)
Thank you.

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:31:21 PM)
Mayur - a full class would be 60-65 people - many classes are less depending on the specificity and interest.

Jenn (Dec 18, 2003 1:31:46 PM)
Per an alumni and word of mouth, I have heard that the GSB campus is not very unified and tends to recruit so-called "nerdy" personalities that are book worms rather than "people" personalities. What do you feel is the culture of the GSB?

ABC (Dec 18, 2003 1:31:53 PM)
Thanks Char.

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:31:57 PM)
Mayur--If you mean the class of 2002, 2003, etc., we have about 525 per class. If you are referring to each individual course, the classes are generally limited to 60, but most are slightly smaller.

GeckoChaser (Dec 18, 2003 1:32:23 PM)
What financial aid do you have available?

Jennie (Dec 18, 2003 1:32:43 PM)
I'm interested in learning more about the international MBA. Is it designed to allow one to work as a consultant in other countries (if so, which ones?) or is it designed to afford a big picture, global perspective to be implemented at a global company, such as GE? (I joined late due to technical issues...I apologize if this question has been addressed.)

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:32:58 PM)
Regis: It is impossible to predict how many applicants will be put on the waitlist; also, the number of people that are taken off the waitlist varies from year to year.

gil horsky (Dec 18, 2003 1:33:27 PM)
What differentiates Chicago's GSB from other leading B-schools?

Rajat (Dec 18, 2003 1:33:35 PM)
Thank you Jose.

Sandro (Dec 18, 2003 1:33:47 PM)
Does GSB have any projects in the Health Care field?

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:33:54 PM)
Jenn - that hurts - but, I will answer anyway! Come to campus and check it out. People here are great - well-spoken, bright, quick on their feet. Classes like LEAD are helping to break that notion - as well as a proven track record of GSB grads in many industries in leadership roles.

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:33:59 PM)
Jenn--I understand where some people have this perception, however this was not my experience.  Maybe we get the "nerdy" wrap because we are a bright group of people and as staff, we encourage students to participate in the activities that interest them. However, if you are really interested in the GSB, I would encourage you to visit the program and get a sense of who we are.

CharBenningtonChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:34:24 PM)
ABC - for the West Coast/Pacific Northwest, last year about 10% of our grads landed jobs on the West Coast - the Bay Area and L.A.

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:34:38 PM)
GeckoChaser--Financial aid information is sent to students after admission to the program.

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:35:15 PM)
Jenn- I certainly do not find my husband to be nerdy, nor did I find that with any of his classmates.  I find them to be intellectually curious, socially active, and committed to career, family, and community involvements for the most part. Certainly with a program as rigorous as ours, students are clearly intelligent. However, I strongly feel that there are a great number of students with strong interpersonal skills that make them great and dynamic additions to their communities and companies (and ours while they are here.)  I would describe them as a fun and actively involved group more than book worms.

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 1:35:19 PM)
For those of you struggling with Chicago's creative question, the essay tip this month in Accepted.com's monthly ezine might help: http://www.accepted.com/Newsletter/Default.aspx#essay . It is on responding to creative questions.

northwestern#1 (Dec 18, 2003 1:35:50 PM)
How many students are still unemployed from last year's graduating class?

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:36:13 PM)
Sandro: The GSB doesn't offer a program in the health care field.  However, the Univ. of Chicago offers a Health Administration and Policy program.

Adi (Dec 18, 2003 1:36:27 PM)
Speaking about interesting essay questions, Essay 3 is a particularly interesting one about choosing any event in time where one could be and why. When this refers to any event, I am interpreting this as an event that has occurred in the past....is that interpretation correct?  Thanks.

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:36:28 PM)
Gil Horsky- the people and professors. Best and brightest - every class I have been in I have read books or articles by the professor - thoughts, leaders in their areas - most are known around the world; combined with highly motivated, friendly, and collaborative students - unbelievable environment.

racer (Dec 18, 2003 1:37:12 PM)
Hi! How does Chicago view unemployed applicants?

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:37:19 PM)
adi-- it can be any event, past, present, or future. It is entirely up to you.

CharBenningtonChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:37:21 PM)
northwestern#1 - at 3 months past graduation, 85% of our grads had landed full-time offers. While we don't officially track the numbers past that period, we've heard from many more who have landed jobs.

jim barner (Dec 18, 2003 1:37:30 PM)
I've studied the school websites, Business Week articles, books, etc. No one really talks about what students didn't expect - that is surprises both pleasant and unpleasant to the MBA experience. It's been my experience that it's often the unexpected that is most rewarding or troubling. Thanks.

NateW (Dec 18, 2003 1:37:54 PM)
Again for the alums/current students - aside from the camaraderie it develops, how has the LEAD program affected you?

Sm002704 (Dec 18, 2003 1:38:01 PM)
Thanks for the response.

celainen (Dec 18, 2003 1:38:27 PM)
You are interested in finding out applicants' personalities, why?  What are you looking for?  What characteristics are good or bad?  If they aren't good or bad, why do you want to find out?

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:38:54 PM)
racer:  When evaluating your work experience we will notice a gap. It would be best that you share what you are doing with your free time in the extra essay.

jim barner (Dec 18, 2003 1:39:01 PM)
What do you think are the top three reasons applicants fail to make the cut at Chicago?  Please elaborate if possible.  Thanks.

ABC (Dec 18, 2003 1:39:10 PM)
Thanks Char.

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:39:50 PM)
NateW- #1 - presentation skills - I needed to develop this area and LEAD takes several modules to focus on it.  This class helps you to start thinking about the softer skills of being a professional manager - team building, performance evaluations, managing conflict, etc.

Rhoan (Dec 18, 2003 1:40:24 PM)
Thanks Blaine! - What would you do differently if you were to start the MBA program all over again?

Maria1 (Dec 18, 2003 1:40:36 PM)
I am not able to visit the GSB on-site. However, GSB is my number one choice by far. How detrimental to my application is my inability to visit? (I had the interview already with an alum here in DC).

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:40:42 PM)
celainen- We are trying to get to know you better so that we may be able to see what type of addition you will be to the GSB community.  We want you to be yourself in the application, so we can truly know you and your unique qualities--- there is no cookie cutter thing we are looking for.  It would be bad if you were a serial killer, it would be good if you contribute to your community (examples, of course-- not necessarily a true example).

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:40:44 PM)
Jim Barner--I think the biggest shock for most new students is the amount of time and energy needed to be active in the job search. Career services encourages new students to think of these issues very early in the program, even in the summer before you arrive. Hence, I would encourage you to be proactive regarding your career choices from the start--limit the number of companies and/or fields you consider. Career Services may be able to provide more detail about this area as well.

JP Holland (Dec 18, 2003 1:41:04 PM)
Is there a daycare center at University of Chicago? There's plenty of Beer and Brats--but are there family oriented activities as well?

agl (Dec 18, 2003 1:42:29 PM)
Is it true that the GSB study method is more on individual study than on group study?

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:42:31 PM)
Rhoan- I really wouldn't do much differently if I started the program over again - I have been very targeted about the classes I took and my job search process. Perhaps spend more time getting to know all my classmates.

Alison (Dec 18, 2003 1:42:45 PM)
Where do people who go to the GSB usually live? Are there on-campus dorm-like facilities, or do people pretty much find their own arrangements? How does this affect their ability to interact with one another?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:42:52 PM)
Jim Barner--Some applicants do not take the time to really tell us why they are interested in the GSB.  Also, some applicants who score very high on the GMAT sometimes do not put much more effort into the application, as they believe that a top GMAT is the "ticket" to any program.  Finally, I would say just not revealing enough about themselves. It is important for us to really get to know your personality.

celainen (Dec 18, 2003 1:43:29 PM)
Thanks Christine for answering my question.  Unfortunately, I don't completely buy "no cookie cutter" answer.  I interviewed people for jobs before, and there are always very specific personality traits I'm looking for.

sandrat (Dec 18, 2003 1:43:48 PM)
Kristen, when will you release the first batch of admits for Round 1? A week before the Jan. 23rd deadline so Don Martin himself can call each admitted applicants himself?

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:43:51 PM)
Maria1: We understand that at times you will not be able to visit the campus, the only disadvantage that you have is not being able to see the physical structure and not meeting with students. We have other avenues to fill those gaps: You can send an email to askastudent@gsb.uchicago.edu . You can also look through our website to see what other areas of the community you'd be interested in participating (Student Clubs, Classes, Organizations) and contact them.

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:44:04 PM)
Agl - The study method totally depends on the class. Although most classes have some sort of group component, it also depends on the person - some people learn better by themselves and some in a group.  This comes back to the flexibility - you take classes and do the work your way...for the most part.

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:44:32 PM)
JP Holland-- there is a day care center on campus, but it is not something that we coordinate. You would have to register like any other person looking for day care in a city, town or on campus. There are kids movies at brats and brew sometimes.  There is a group called partners (for spouses of students) and they often do activities that involve children-- help with day care, movie trips, shopping trips.  That is something that the participants run and decide.  It is a very active group, of which I was a member when my husband was a student.  Not having any children, I am not sure what all the activities were.  However, the group is great about making spouses feel welcome and helping them get to know other people.

jim barner (Dec 18, 2003 1:44:39 PM)
Thanks Kristen.

rishi (Dec 18, 2003 1:44:52 PM)
When would be a good time to visit GSB after December?

NateW (Dec 18, 2003 1:45:07 PM)
Chicago hosts a plethora of sports franchises. Are there many opportunities for GSB students to participate in sports management?

agl (Dec 18, 2003 1:45:28 PM)
Thanks Blaine.

Morris (Dec 18, 2003 1:45:41 PM)
What is the rent price range of off-campus housing?

BlaineBarnettChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:45:51 PM)
Alison - not sure of the stats - but, many live downtown and many live in Hyde Park - I live downtown mostly because my wife works in Evanston - so, it is half way. There are advantages and disadvantages to living in both places.  But, in general, people are happy at both places. A lot of students live at a place called Regents.

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:46:04 PM)
Rishi:  Please visit our website to look of the earliest dates to schedule a visit.

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:46:17 PM)
Celainen---Though I certainly understand that this may be your experiences, we absolutely do not have a specific "person" or type of person we look for.  Even when hiring someone for a job, the example you gave, you are looking for a much more specific group of traits.  Though we may not be able to convince you otherwise, Christine's answer is the truth.

Jennie (Dec 18, 2003 1:46:47 PM)
I obtained my CFA charter this year. How do you view this achievement and how much overlap do you see in the material covered in the CFA program and the GSB program?

MBANow (Dec 18, 2003 1:47:21 PM)
Are Round 1 applications down compared to last year?

sukim (Dec 18, 2003 1:47:24 PM)
Trying to get a sense here.....Approximately what proportion of MBA students take entrepreneurship as their concentration area? Thanks!

ONUMA (Dec 18, 2003 1:47:48 PM)
How about summer jobs? Recently some people have difficulties with finding jobs offers.

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:48:33 PM)
Sandrat--The official notification deadline is the 23rd. If Don calls people early or if letters are sent early is not something we can predict.  I know this is frustrating, but it is an area that depends on several factors within the Admissions Office.

CharBenningtonChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:48:36 PM)
NateW - in the past very few of our students have chosen to begin their post-MBA careers in the sports management field....from our discussions with students interested in this field there are a couple of things that are going on...it's a very tough field to enter, and you have to have connections. Also, the opportunities for MBA aren't as strong as other fields - this field in particular doesn't seem to value the degree as much and starting salaries are low.

eustudent (Dec 18, 2003 1:49:12 PM)
Do you have alumni from Macedonia, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Hercegovina, or Albania?

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:49:13 PM)
Morris:  Please visit the housing website. Rent can run anywhere from $500-1,000 US dollars for a 1 bedroom/studio, depending on which area of Chicago you wish to live.

Guest (Dec 18, 2003 1:49:25 PM)
To the GSB team:  Thank you very much for the answers. I have a meeting in ten minutes. Regards.

Collins (Dec 18, 2003 1:49:30 PM)
Do you think applicants with two years of experience are at a disadvantage from an admissions perspective?

NateW (Dec 18, 2003 1:49:32 PM)
Interesting. Thanks Char.

jim barner (Dec 18, 2003 1:49:34 PM)
I'm scheduled for one of your Super Saturday interviews. Any advice in terms of preparation?  Thanks.

ChrisCollinsChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:49:56 PM)
Onuma - You're right. The job market for both internships and full-time positions is tight, though it shows signs of loosening.  Even so, 99% of our students received internship offers.

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:50:13 PM)
Jennie--The CFA is definitely a good thing and a nice addition to your application.  Because of the GSB's very flexible curriculum, you are able to take more advanced and varied classes to ensure that there is minimal overlap with your current skills and expertise.

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:50:20 PM)
Alison-- My husband and I lived in the neighborhood surrounding campus. About 70% (on average) of the first year class live in the neighborhood near campus. The second year class tends to spread out a bit and many move to the north side (though, personally, we stayed in this area). It is a personal preference thing, depending on your lifestyle. There is some on-campus housing, but it seems like most students tend to live in apartments. I don't believe their living location has inhibited students ability to interact with classmates. Many students live in a high rise near campus, and they are renovating a student space for GSB students because they have so many people living there-- this is just one example. But, I think students interact as often as possible, both socially and academically related.

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:50:34 PM)
eustudent: We will have to get back to you. Please send an email to admission@gsb.uchicago.edu .

VZ (Dec 18, 2003 1:50:49 PM)
Due to extensive travel or work pressures, it is often not possible to be deeply involved in community service although a desire to do so may exist. Does an absence of demonstrated community service in an applicant's record exclude him from admission?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:50:53 PM)
MBANow--Applications are down slightly, but from what I've heard, we are on par or doing better then our peer schools.

azion (Dec 18, 2003 1:51:14 PM)
Kristen, what percentage of applicants hold a graduate degree (and in what fields)?  Is this a positive factor or a neutral factor in the admission process? I also speak Spanish fluently; how important is this for the admissions committee?

ONUMA (Dec 18, 2003 1:51:56 PM)
Thank you Chris.

Clive Driscoll (Dec 18, 2003 1:52:04 PM)
Kristen, I went on the GSB's website and saw that there was no set requirement for a candidates' GMAT score. What do you think would be considered competitive? 600 and above?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:52:08 PM)
jim barner--The best thing to do for any interview is to really research the program before coming to the interview so you can explain why you are interested in the GSB and an MBA.

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:52:20 PM)
sukim- Entrepreneurship is our second largest concentration-- I do not know specific numbers. But with the flexibility of our curriculum, students often do various concentrations and are able to concentrate in more than one area.

ONUMA (Dec 18, 2003 1:52:50 PM)
Do many people participated in extracurricular activities in GSB?

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:52:56 PM)
Collins: Candidates with 2 years of work are not at a disadvantage. We often admit very qualified applicants with 2 years of work experience.

Chris (Dec 18, 2003 1:52:57 PM)
To the alums, I'd like to know why you chose GSB in the first place? What other schools did you apply?

Tiger (Dec 18, 2003 1:53:18 PM)
JoseFrausto, thank you!  What information do you want to find out about an applicant from his or her company's human relations department? Thanxs!

jim barner (Dec 18, 2003 1:53:45 PM)
Thanks Kristen Pawlowski.

Rekia (Dec 18, 2003 1:53:52 PM)
Hello everyone - Kristen, I see on the GSB website that the deadline for the GMAT for Round 2 is December 5th. Would I be penalized if I submit a score from a later date?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:53:55 PM)
VZ--We certainly understand the pressures of working, as well as family commitments. Not only do we look at the community experiences in the recent past, but we consider the experiences from your college days. Also, if you like, feel free to explain why your community contributions haven't been extensive and what you would contribute to the GSB if admitted.

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:55:08 PM)
azion-- previous graduate study is not regarded negatively in the admission process. We want to know why you are considering further graduate studies. So, if you can give us a clear understanding of that, it will make clear why you have chosen to go beyond your previous graduate studies. Speaking other languages is important for us to know, and can be helpful with your education. Whatever you feel are strengths about you, I would recommend including in your application.

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:55:37 PM)
Clive Driscoll--Generally, yes, we would consider scores above 600 as "competitive." However, we have and do admit students with scores lower if they are able to demonstrate academic potential or success in other ways.

Rhoan (Dec 18, 2003 1:55:50 PM)
How much is the interview weighed in the application process?

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:56:57 PM)
Onuma-- we have about 60 student groups in which our students are actively involved. You can be in anything ranging from the investment banking club to sports focused groups. Our students are very involved outside of class- as much as their coursework and social life will allow.

Atyab (Dec 18, 2003 1:57:03 PM)
How do you view and gauge 'academic potential' besides the GMAT and the undergrad GPA?

GeckoChaser (Dec 18, 2003 1:57:42 PM)
Is GSB regionally accredited (fully accredited) in the United States?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:57:44 PM)
Chris--As the alum in the group, I'll answer your question. I wanted a program in the Midwest, so you can figure from there the programs that were of interest to me. I ended up choosing the GSB because the people were great, open, friendly and genuine. Additionally, my undergraduate degree is in English Literature, so I wanted a rigorous program that would prepare me for any business career I chose after graduation.

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:57:50 PM)
Tiger:  These are independent verification to check to see if you were actually an employee there, this will only be conducted to verify that all of the information you provided is accurate.

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:57:51 PM)
rekia-- We need to have your GMAT score by the January 9th deadline. The date that you have taken it is not important, simply that we receive the results in time for our deadline.

Vo5 (Dec 18, 2003 1:58:21 PM)
One concern I have about Chicago GSB's finance program is that it might be too theoretical. I am currently an options trader at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. I took an undergraduate class on options and in no way did it help me understand how options really trade or did it help me become a better options trader. Could a finance major please give me his/her impression of how theoretical and/or practical the finance curriculum is?

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:59:07 PM)
Rhoan-- The interview is another tool for us to get to know you. We do not assign weights to each portion of the application, so it's difficult to say. The tool is mostly for fit, similar to the essay questions.

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:59:12 PM)
GeckoChaser:  All Chicago GSB programs are accredited by AACSB International.

ABC (Dec 18, 2003 1:59:21 PM)
What is the one thing, if any, that you would like to see improved or changed at GSB?

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 1:59:35 PM)
atyab-- We gauge academic potential by looking at your performance in undergraduate studies (and other graduate programs), GMAT performance, and often are able to glean academic/intellectual ability from job-related functions (many of which are often addressed in recommendations.. i.e. technical ability, analytical skills, etc.).

NateW (Dec 18, 2003 1:59:45 PM)
Is my application looked at any less favorably if I submit my final application on the very last day of a given deadline?  Of course I'm just trying to make absolutely certain I present the best application possible ;)

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 2:00:39 PM)
Vo5-- I do not believe that there are any finance concentrations on the chat.  I would suggest that you send a message to the askastudent@gsb.uchicago.edu  to see if someone can answer that for you.

Rhoan (Dec 18, 2003 2:00:47 PM)
Does GSB have established partnerships with other universities, locally or abroad?

JPMillsap (Dec 18, 2003 2:01:06 PM)
If someone is not admitted to GSB, then what advice would you give to him/her for next year? Should we try to get feedback?

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 2:01:35 PM)
natew-- as long as your application is in by the deadline, it does not matter on what day it arrives.

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 2:01:36 PM)
Rhoan: We have partnership with 33 programs in 21 countries.

Tiger (Dec 18, 2003 2:01:45 PM)
JoseFrausto, thank you!  What should I do then if I do not want my company know? Will you call the recommender instead of the human relations department? It is about my job security and I simply do not want to lose my job (if I cannot be admitted by Chicago :))  Thanks!

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 2:02:03 PM)
ABC--I think the biggest change I would like to see at the GSB is already taking place. We need a building where everyone--staff, faculty, students, etc.-- all reside. The new building is set to open in September 2004 and so far looks great!

Alison (Dec 18, 2003 2:02:25 PM)
As an addition to NateW's question, are applications reviewed in the order in which they are received, or how does that work?

Guest (Dec 18, 2003 2:02:37 PM)
Kristen, Chris and everyone else -- thank you yet again for the advice!

Rhoan (Dec 18, 2003 2:03:11 PM)
Is there a process already in place for an IB (investment banking) internship abroad? Or is this something the student needs to set up?

Chris (Dec 18, 2003 2:03:20 PM)
Thanks, Kristen.

Rekia (Dec 18, 2003 2:03:38 PM)
Thank you.

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 2:03:55 PM)
Tiger: Not to worry. Please make us aware that confidentiality is necessary in your application.

KristenPawlowskiChicago (Dec 18, 2003 2:04:01 PM)
EVERYONE--Thank you so much for participating. The chat was scheduled until 1:00 PM Central Standard Time, and we need to head off to another meeting. If you have additional questions, we encourage you to send them to: admissions@gsb.uchicago.edu or askastudent@gsb.uchicago.edu.

ABC (Dec 18, 2003 2:04:05 PM)
Thanks Kristen.

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 2:04:25 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to Kristen, Jose, Christine, Char, Chris, and Blaine for joining us this evening.

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 2:04:33 PM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats. Here is a list of currently scheduled chats:

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 2:04:40 PM)
Joint European chat with Darden, Cornell, CMU and Indiana 1/7   MIT 1/8

christinebalzanochicago (Dec 18, 2003 2:04:45 PM)
jpmilsap-- If you are not admitted, unfortunately, we are not able to offer you feedback.  We simply don't have the staff capable of discussing this with those who are denied.  As for waitlist candidates, I STRONGLY recommend that you contact the counselor to whom you are assigned (in our letter) and see if it is possible to gain feedback about your application.  Overall, I would recommend reviewing your application and seeing what areas may need improvement.

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 2:04:48 PM)
Please check the Web site for details. The above chats are at 10:00 AM Pacific Time/1:00 PM Eastern Time/6:00 PM GMT.

CharBenningtonChicago (Dec 18, 2003 2:04:54 PM)
Linda - our pleasure. We enjoyed chatting with all of you.

rishi (Dec 18, 2003 2:04:58 PM)
Thank you to all members of the admissions committee.

JPMillsap (Dec 18, 2003 2:05:08 PM)
Thanks Linda.

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 2:05:11 PM)
This has been a great chat! Thanks to all of you for coming.

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 2:05:19 PM)
Please check http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.htm#mba for details.

Michael (Dec 18, 2003 2:05:25 PM)
Thanks!

JPMillsap (Dec 18, 2003 2:05:28 PM)
Thanks Christine.

JoseFraustoChicago (Dec 18, 2003 2:05:29 PM)
Thanks Linda! Good Luck to all!

ChrisCollinsChicago (Dec 18, 2003 2:05:30 PM)
Rhoan - We have relationships with most of the industry leaders in banking. This helps many students obtain internships as investment bankers. Last year almost eighty students interned in this competitive field.

Regis (Dec 18, 2003 2:05:30 PM)
Thanks!

MBANow (Dec 18, 2003 2:05:36 PM)
Thanks!

William (Dec 18, 2003 2:05:41 PM)
Thanks Kristen.

ONUMA (Dec 18, 2003 2:05:41 PM)
Thank You  LINDA!

William (Dec 18, 2003 2:05:55 PM)
Thanks Linda!

jrowe (Dec 18, 2003 2:05:59 PM)
Thanks.

kbock (Dec 18, 2003 2:06:02 PM)
Thank you!

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 2:06:02 PM)
You're welcome.

Alison (Dec 18, 2003 2:06:09 PM)
Thank you all!

Atyab (Dec 18, 2003 2:06:12 PM)
Thank you Kristen.

Arthur (Dec 18, 2003 2:06:16 PM)
Thanks, everyone, was very informative.

Clive Driscoll (Dec 18, 2003 2:06:18 PM)
Thanks, everyone!

Atyab (Dec 18, 2003 2:06:23 PM)
Thanks to the GSB team for taking time out of their busy schedules

alison_ses (Dec 18, 2003 2:06:38 PM)
Thanks!

target2004 (Dec 18, 2003 2:06:47 PM)
Linda - I joined a bit late; by when would the transcript be up on your site?

JW (Dec 18, 2003 2:06:52 PM)
Thank you all!

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 2:07:03 PM)
Target 2004, the chat should be up late next week.

Rhoan (Dec 18, 2003 2:08:13 PM)
MAHALO NUI LOA! (Thank you very much (Hawaiian))

GeckoChaser (Dec 18, 2003 2:11:34 PM)
Thank you, Linda.  I appreciate your help.

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 2:11:40 PM)
You're welcome.

xga (Dec 18, 2003 2:33:58 PM)
Thanks Linda. I have not seen anybody with so much energy and dedication.

Bill Bixby (Dec 18, 2003 2:34:07 PM)
Thanks, Linda.  Goodbye!

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 2:34:24 PM)
Thanks, xga and Bill.

Linda Abraham (Dec 18, 2003 2:34:28 PM)
Good luck to you all!