2005 Haas MBA Admissions Chat with Peter Johnson

2005 Haas MBA Admissions Chat with Peter Johnson

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Chat Transcript:

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:07:45 AM)
Welcome to all of you.  I also want to welcome Peter, Johnson, Co-Director of Admissions, and Kelli Chester a second-year student at Haas.

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:09:34 AM)
Kelli, could you tell us a little about yourself? What you did before coming to Haas and this past summer? What do you want to do after you graduate?

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:11:28 AM)
Pete, What's new at Haas?

stuti (Oct 11, 2004 10:11:29 AM)
? What is Haas's view on applicants with fewer years of work experience, 2-3?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:11:39 AM)
Did you attend the MBA Fair in Bangkok? I believe I spoke with you...

stk (Oct 11, 2004 10:11:41 AM)
?How strict are the word limits for the essays. Do we get a little leeway say 10%

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:11:54 AM)
Good morning, everyone. I'm a second-year at Haas, and to answer Linda's question, prior to business school I worked in advertising in New York. I spent the summer working for Blue Shield of California in their market analytics group. After business school, I'd like to stay in healthcare, possibly in consulting, though I'm still not 100% sure.

Pira P (Oct 11, 2004 10:11:55 AM)
Yes we met at the US embassy when you were here.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:12:27 AM)
Linda, the year is off to a good start, and our students are settling in.

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:12:30 AM)
Thanks Kelli. Are you participating in one of Hass' certificate programs?

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:12:44 AM)
Stuti - I'm sure Pete will give the official answer, but I had 3 years of experience upon enrolling at Haas.

vickyromero (Oct 11, 2004 10:13:10 AM)
Has Haas seen a decline in applications in recent years? How does this affect admission requirements/stats?

Vince (Oct 11, 2004 10:13:14 AM)
?I was disappointed to see Haas ranking go down on the latest BW report. Any reason why?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:13:15 AM)
We have 6 new faculty members this year, part of Dean Campbell's master plan to continue to grow the size of the faculty.

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:14:11 AM)
Let's give Pete and Kelli a couple of seconds to catch up.

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:14:13 AM)
Linda - I'm not a part of one of the certificate programs - but I am taking advantage of the great classes we have because of them! (This semester I'm specifically taking a healthcare class.)

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:15:11 AM)
Vicky, we saw a decline in applications last year, as did virtually all top MBA programs. Two years ago, we had our largest single year application pool in the history of the program. I expect this year's application pool to be similar to last year's...

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:16:05 AM)
Kelli, did most of your classmates have internships?

Sunil (Oct 11, 2004 10:17:38 AM)
? Does Haas guarantee loans to International students without an American cosigner?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:17:44 AM)
Vince, you pose a good question. I was a bit surprised by the change, and although we don't put a lot of emphasis on rankings, it is important to pay attention to these things. Obviously, we are still a top-ranked program, but we will be reviewing the data collected by BW in compiling the rankings to determine if there is any important data there that we need to pay closer attention to.

stuti (Oct 11, 2004 10:18:16 AM)
? What is the percentage of women students at Haas? What kind of support/opportunities does Haas offer to women applicants/students?

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:18:20 AM)
Linda - I'd say almost all of my classmates had internships. The few exceptions that didn't have them were by choice, not lack of opportunity. And I'm happy to say that recruiting is picking up even more this fall!

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:18:29 AM)
Sunil, no, we don't--we have three different loan programs for which international students may apply, but all of them require a US citizen or permanent resident co-signer.

Sunil (Oct 11, 2004 10:18:50 AM)
? Essay questions - how strict are the word limits? Do applicants have a little leeway?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:18:58 AM)
Linda, the actual percentage of the class of 2005 that had summer internships is 97%....

vickyromero (Oct 11, 2004 10:19:07 AM)
I've read that there are no "perfect applications" at Haas. If you had to rank the most important requirements- in your opinion- how would you do so? I'm trying to help see if my application is ready enough so to speak.

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:19:19 AM)
Pete, thanks for the stat. That is extremely high.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:19:40 AM)
Sunil, the word limits are pretty strict. Aside from the fact that we have thousands of applications to read, there is a benefit in the business world to being succinct! :-)

Vince (Oct 11, 2004 10:19:53 AM)
? What is the general acceptance rate for PhD holders? Are they viewed favorably or unfavorably?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:20:08 AM)
Linda, as Kelli pointed out, the only students who don't have internships are those who choose not to for reasons like summer weddings, family commitments, etc.

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:21:26 AM)
Kelli, what do you like best at Haas? What would you like to see improved?

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:21:57 AM)
Stuti - our % of women at Haas was 27% in the first year class, slightly lower in mine. The Women in Leadership club at Haas is fantastic - we have an annual retreat to Napa in September, a mentoring program, biweekly casual "Women & Wine" events that are well attended by both students and partners, and we put on a large conference each year. Informally, I think it's just part of the Haas culture to provide support, etc.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:21:57 AM)
Vince, we only have a small number of PhD applicants each year, and in an average year, we will have 2 or 3 in the incoming class. The fact of having a PhD is not particularly positive or negative; it is, however, important for those candidates (as it is for all applicants) to be able to explain why they feel an MBA program should be the next step.

stuti (Oct 11, 2004 10:22:08 AM)
? Does Haas get students from the nonprofit sector? I am looking to go into strategic consulting for non profits, post MBA. Does Haas get recruiters from the non profit sector or does the proximity to the Silicon Valley and the repute of its Engineering school mean that Haas is more of a tech school?

vickyromero (Oct 11, 2004 10:22:16 AM)
Could you add outreach to minorities as well as women?

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:24:58 AM)
Linda - my favorite thing about Haas is the culture. My classmates, my professors, and the learning environment impress me on a regular basis.

stuti (Oct 11, 2004 10:25:09 AM)
? Is there a substantial difference between applying in R1 vs. R2?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:25:22 AM)
Stuti, we do have a number of students coming from the non-profit sector, and we also have a number of students who have been working in for-profit positions who wish to make a career change to non-profit. We have a program specifically designed to place students in non-profit internships and to assist in the job search process for second year students. I don't think Haas is more of a tech school--although we also have students interested in business careers related to technology, we have a pretty wide range of career interests represented in our class. Visit the career services section of our website for more information about what our graduates do after leaving Haas.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:25:47 AM)
Also, Kelli can probably add some info re: non-profit, as she is taking the non-profit strategy course now...

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:27:03 AM)
Stuti - one more thing about outreach to women that I forgot - Women in Leadership is hosting a workshop on October 23rd. If you're in the Bay Area, here is some additional information: https://ssl.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions/eventsew/index.cfm?forum=452

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:27:34 AM)
Kelli, when I ask the question to students attending different schools, they almost all say "the culture, " or "the people." How can a prospective student assess that culture or the people before attending to make sure there is a fit? How did you do so?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:28:08 AM)
Vicky, Berkeley (like all California public institutions) is strictly limited in the types of activities we can pursue due to Proposition 209, which forbids any preference in the admissions process based on gender, ethnicity, or national origin and forbids most types of targeted outreach as well. We had a Diversity Workshop on campus last Saturday, which drew many minority candidates, but was open to anyone who wished to attend; our students' Women in Leadership organization will also be hosting a workshop in October.

Pira P (Oct 11, 2004 10:28:40 AM)
? Pete: One of Haas' main strengths compared to other top ranked b-schools is the relatively small class. However you have mention that the Dean has plans to expand class size. What is your strategy to maintain the close contact between students and lecturers?

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:29:36 AM)
Yes! I am taking Strategic Management of Nonprofits right now, which is taught by the director of the Public and Nonprofit Management Program. Because it's open to both Haas and Public Policy students, the nonprofit backgrounds are quite impressive. Many of those classmates worked in nonprofits over the summer, and plan on it in the future. The Net Impact club also sponsors regular panels that can be helpful in making contacts.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:30:01 AM)
Pira, I didn't say that the dean wanted to expand the class size--in fact, he doesn't! The dean is interested in expanding the size of the faculty, which means that we will likely be offering additional electives in certain specialized areas and sponsoring more sector-targeted research, but there are no plans to increase the class size.

stuti (Oct 11, 2004 10:30:34 AM)
If an applicant has a Masters degree, would the adcom put greater emphasis on the grad grades vs. the undergrad grades or would they both be seen with equal importance?

vickyromero (Oct 11, 2004 10:30:52 AM)
Kelli, what classes (ie. quant) would you recommend we take before our 1st year if we feel we need a refresher? I've taken stats and accounting.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:30:52 AM)
Pira--btw, I meant faculty in the common American English use of the word, which refers to the group of professors who teach, rather than the department! :-)

stuti (Oct 11, 2004 10:31:20 AM)
? So one has the option to choosing electives from the courses offered by the Non Profit and Public management program?

undertrial (Oct 11, 2004 10:31:26 AM)
Please excuse me, if this question has already been answered. Being an international getting a study loan can be a BIG problem. Some schools in US make it easier by offering loan programs to internationals without cosigner. Is something similar on the agenda at HAAS.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:32:35 AM)
Stuti, although we consider the performance in a graduate program, we actually place more emphasis on the undergraduate record. Most students pursue a graduate program in a very specialized discipline, and so the record in that discipline really only reflects the student's proficiency in a narrow subject area. In a US undergraduate program, the academic record typically reflects performance across a variety of academic subjects.

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:33:28 AM)
Linda, that's a great question. I think the most important thing is to visit the schools you are considering to make sure that you can see yourself there, and that you feel comfortable. I tried to interview on campus when possible, to see what the day-to-day was like, and then I also attended the welcome-weekends to the schools I was accepted at with my fiance to make sure that we both liked the people we'd be spending the next two years with.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:34:03 AM)
Stuti, yes, any student can take elective courses offered in the non-profit and public management program, and our students also have the opportunity to take some of their elective courses in other graduate schools at Berkeley, too--for example, there may also be courses offered in the Goldman School of Public Policy that would be relevant for non-p and public mgt students.

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:34:29 AM)
Kelli, I agree with you. Visiting the schools is a marvelous way to get the "feel" of a school in a way that receptions, web sites, ... and even chats can't capture. Although the chats come close. ;-)

Pira P (Oct 11, 2004 10:34:51 AM)
? What are acceptance rates for different rounds?

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:35:16 AM)
Kelli, other than the culture, why did you choose Haas?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:35:29 AM)
Undertrial, yes, but it is unlikely to happen this year. We had a no-cosigner program for the last four years, but the financial institution we are working with has discontinued it. Most banks want the university to underwrite most or all of the risk, and as a publicly-supported institution, we are not allowed to do this.

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:35:36 AM)
Vicky - it sounds like you're in good shape class-wise. I didn't take any prep classes, but did attend the summer workshop prior to school, and felt that prepared me enough. If you would feel better taking extra classes, though, I think Calculus, and a basic finance class might be helpful. (Especially if you haven't seen it before, and you already have stats and accounting.)

Sunil (Oct 11, 2004 10:35:51 AM)
I took my GMAT in Oct,2003 and Haas was one of the schools I chose to report my scores to at the time of the test. Would my scores still be with the school? Do I need to report them again?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:36:19 AM)
Sunil, we should still have your scores on file. We keep those on file for two years.

Vince (Oct 11, 2004 10:36:38 AM)
?Are most evening and weekend applicants already holding managerial level posts? Does it help if one has already begun his/her managerial ladder? I am a PhD candidate with 2 years of management experience interested in an MBA.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:38:19 AM)
Vince, students in the evening and weekend program tend to have a little more experience than those in the FT program--an average of 6.5+, and the Berkeley-Columbia Executive MBA program average is even higher. Some have managerial positions already, but not all--it really depends on the industry and function in which they are working.

stuti (Oct 11, 2004 10:38:28 AM)
? What sort of financial aid (besides loans) is available for international applicants?

I-love-bacon (Oct 11, 2004 10:39:11 AM)
I'm sorry if this imformation is easily obtained, I am early in my "school search". Does Haas do well for placement, especially internships for non-profits overseas?

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:39:11 AM)
Linda - Aside from culture, I chose Haas for it's great general-management education. I wanted an atmosphere where I, a marketing person, could take finance and accounting, and not be intimidated, but encouraged - which I've found. It was also partly a location decision, one of the better options for my fiance to move with me.

Pira P (Oct 11, 2004 10:39:45 AM)
? Kelli, what are the things you like the least about life at HAAS?

vickyromero (Oct 11, 2004 10:39:54 AM)
Pete, can quant classes taken in preparation help ameliorate a lower (650) GMAT score?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:40:02 AM)
Stuti, we award $1.5 million per year in scholarships; although there is no fixed percentage for international vs. US, about half of the scholarships go to international candidates in an average year. These scholarships are from partial up to full tuition.

I-love-bacon (Oct 11, 2004 10:40:34 AM)
Sorry if I repeat this - Is there good placement for international non-profit internships?

Vince (Oct 11, 2004 10:40:54 AM)
?Thanks Pete. In what order would you rank the admissions requirements? GMAT score, Essays, Recommendations, and Undergraduate GPA?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:40:58 AM)
Vicky, if you have taken quant classes and earned solid grades, it may provide additional information that you have the necessary quant skills to be successful in the program.

Sunil (Oct 11, 2004 10:41:32 AM)
I come from a school where we aren't given a GPA. I'll instead be reporting my Percentage marks (%). How does the adcom handle situations where only a % is available?

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:41:47 AM)
Kelli, have you started the interviewing and recruiting process?

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:42:52 AM)
Bacon - Haas does great on job placement (97% of my class had internships, those that didn't were for family reasons)... it is also great for nonprofits (see Pete's responses above)... the "overseas" part of your question might require a little bit of extra work on the part of the job-searcher, but with the great alumni resources we have with both Haas and the greater Cal community, I'm sure you can find what you're looking for.

Guest (Oct 11, 2004 10:43:28 AM)
? What learning method is used by the school? Is Haas a highly case-method centric school?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:43:41 AM)
Vince, I wouldn't rank them, really--we don't have a formal weighting process, and they are all important. Basically, the three main areas that we review are (1) academic preparation (UG record, grades, institution attended, grade patterns, GMAT, etc); (2) professional experience (quality of work experience, type and level of responsibilities, strength of recommendations, etc); (3) personal qualities--strength of interview, letters of recommendation, community involvement, etc.

vickyromero (Oct 11, 2004 10:43:46 AM)
Do you frown on taking the GMAT again to improve your score? How many times is "too many"?

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:44:38 AM)
Vince, although this is not a Haas-specific answer to your question, my answer to that question is that the weakest element is usually the most important one.

Pira P (Oct 11, 2004 10:45:05 AM)
? Pete: Would it be possible for a candidate to combine two essay questions into one?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:45:46 AM)
Sunil, in ALL cases, we are really looking to determine whether or not a candidate has sufficient academic preparation, and how that candidate performed in their own educational system. We aren't trying to exactly equate other systems with a 4.0 G.P.A. except in a very rough sense. As a result, we would first be considering your performance compared to other candidates who earned their first degree in the same country...

Vince (Oct 11, 2004 10:46:09 AM)
? Is it true that the Haas school also contacts those who were not accepted and gives an explanation over the phone?

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:46:11 AM)
Pira - What do I like least about Haas? Not enough time to do everything I want. I don't always get as much sleep as I'd like, and I've had to learn to say "no." While those are more personal answers, I think that my main complaint about Haas is space (and most people here would agree). There is just so much happening here that finding space for every event can be difficult. Do-able but difficult.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:46:27 AM)
Vicky, there is no magic number of times that is too many, but in my personal opinion, more than three or four times doesn't seem a productive use of time or money.

stuti (Oct 11, 2004 10:46:45 AM)
? How important is the GMAT score to the school. Does Haas put a greater focus on the GMAT score as schools like Columbia, Stanford do?

I-love-bacon (Oct 11, 2004 10:46:50 AM)
So you find the Alumni Network very strong and approachable, even as a first year student? Can you tell me of any "wow" moments you've had in dealing with alumni, where the Alumni really went above expectations?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:47:16 AM)
Pira, I'm not sure how you would do that, but you won't be able to submit the online application without answering each question in some way. I would stick to responding the questions in the way that they are asked.

stuti (Oct 11, 2004 10:49:42 AM)
? If an applicant takes the GMAT more than once, what score would the school consider? the latest, the highest or the average?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:50:38 AM)
Stuti, any MBA program that has competitive admissions, including all of the institutions you mention, will have many applicants who have scored very well on the GMAT. I also know that all of our institutions have denied applicants with very high scores who did not shine in other areas like professional experience, personal qualities, etc. For Berkeley, it is not the top consideration, but if you have a lower score than another similar candidate who is equally strong in other areas, it could possibly put you at a competitive disadvantage if you have a lower score.

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:51:18 AM)
Bacon - Yes, I've found the alumni network to be really strong. We have regular trips to companies throughout the area called "Haas@Work" where an alum will host a group for a tour, lunch, questions. We also have "Haaspitality" events, which are smaller themed dinners with alums (like a dinner at a local VC's home. As for "Wow" moments, there are many, but at our last Days at Haas event, the keynote speaker was an Alum who spoke in the morning, and then came back that night for the Consumption Function to talk on a more individual-level to the prospective students (his own idea; I didn't know he was coming). That really impressed me.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:51:51 AM)
Stuti, we look at all of the scores, but we tend to focus on the highest score. Again, it isn't a cutoff situation--it is simply one of the factors we consider in determining how your academic preparation compares with other applicants.

ND_sanjose (Oct 11, 2004 10:52:05 AM)
What are the pros and cons of applying in round 1 as compared to round2? - Nachiket

Sunil (Oct 11, 2004 10:52:45 AM)
? Are all admitted students interviewed? If so are international applicants interviewed?

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:53:22 AM)
Followup to Sunil's question: How is the interview used in the admissions process?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:53:37 AM)
ND, I encourage you to submit an application as soon as you are ready to put forth your best effort. Although there is a disadvantage to being in Round 4, your chances are fairly equal in rounds 1 and 2. If you are hoping to get a scholarship, I would encourage you to apply in round 1 or round 2.

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:53:47 AM)
Is it another data point? evidence of English fluency for int'l applicants? or?

Sunil (Oct 11, 2004 10:54:10 AM)
I meant "how are international applicants interviewed?"

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:54:44 AM)
If you are looking at an application and the numbers and basic profile is in the ballpark for a Haas student, what distinguishes an application that is accepted from one that is rejected?

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:55:39 AM)
Kelli, what do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition back to school easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:56:15 AM)
Sunil, for all practical purposes, yes. This year, 99% of the applicants to whom we offered admission were interviewed. As you may know, we do interviews by invitation only, and this happens after the AdCom has completed its initial review. Most of our interviews are done by trained alumni interviewers and second year student interviewers that we have selected--the AdCom normally does not interview. We offer interviews in 65 cities around the world, so the only time we would make a decision without an interview is in the rare case of someone who is located in a place where it is geographically not feasible.

Joe (Oct 11, 2004 10:56:43 AM)
Pete, if the institution attended carries some weight then I have to ask how San Jose State ranks. Especially for a liberal arts major with no community involvement, as my time has been spent raising 4 children?

Pira P (Oct 11, 2004 10:57:47 AM)
? Regarding GMAT percentile, would you prefer a candidate with a particularly high score on one section over a candidate with relatively equal scores on both sections?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:57:55 AM)
Linda, the interview is simply another piece of evidence that we use in evaluating the strength of a candidate. It is a way for us to test interpersonal skills and communication skills, and to get some idea of how a candidate would appear to corporate recruiters, for example. For international candidates, it also assists us in determining their level of English proficiency and quality of oral/aural skills.

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 10:58:14 AM)
Thanks Pete.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:58:16 AM)
Sunil--by alumni interviewers.

vickyromero (Oct 11, 2004 10:59:18 AM)
When the Haas literature emphasizes you want applications to show "leadership," can you give me an example of what you mean?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:59:33 AM)
Linda, looking at applicants who are in the ballpark, things that distinguish one candidate from another might be strength of interview, strength of essays, clarity of goals and understanding of "why an MBA", quality of work experience and level of responsibility, etc.

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 10:59:54 AM)
Linda - I found the hardest part of the transition just being time management, and learning how to prioritize what is the most important, since it's slightly different in B-school than in the working world. That said, the best thing I did was take time off in the summer. I spent time with my family and friends, just relaxing and allowing myself plenty of time to settle in here in Berkeley. Once school began, I was so thankful I was well-rested and ready to go.

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 11:01:04 AM)
Useful advice Kelli. Thanks. Are you finding plenty of opportunities to interview for permanent positions? Are the students pretty optimistic this fall about their prospects?

Guest1234 (Oct 11, 2004 11:03:18 AM)
Pete and Kelli, can you tell us something about the Lester Center for entrepreneurship and SCMI's activities. And how are "wanabe" entrepreneurs applicants viewed?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:03:54 AM)
Joe, we don't "rank" institutions, but we would look at your performance at SJSU. Not everyone has the opportunity to attend Princeton or Harvard. In this year's entering class, 124 undergraduate institutions were represented, which is not unusual-- we offer admission to individuals from a wide variety of academic institutions. The important thing is that the combination of academic indicators (UG record, GMAT, institution attended, individual grade patterns, etc) reflect an applicant who can succeed in a challenging curriculum and is competitive with other top applicants.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:05:03 AM)
Vicky, there are many ways to demonstrate leadership, including through community organizations and clubs as well as opportunities in the workplace.

Vince (Oct 11, 2004 11:05:14 AM)
? Sorry to repeat this question. What is the general acceptance rate for Round 1 and Round 2 applicants?

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:05:37 AM)
Linda - I am really happy with the fall prospects for full-time interviews. At last check there were over 1100 interview slots on the books for fall - which is great for a class of 240. In particular, we've seen an increase in consulting firms and investment banks; long-time recruiting companies are here with new positions.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:05:53 AM)
Guest, we look for the same types of qualities in entrepreneurs that we do in other candidates--but it is important to explain why you feel an MBA is the next step...

Pira P (Oct 11, 2004 11:07:07 AM)
? what constitutes a powerful letter of recommendation?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:07:10 AM)
Vince, there is no quota for different rounds, but acceptance rates for rounds 1 and 2 tend to be in the 18-20% range. Keep in mind that this is solely based on the quality of the applications, so the percentages are not that consistent from one year to the next.

Guest1234 (Oct 11, 2004 11:07:12 AM)
Thanks Pete.

stuti (Oct 11, 2004 11:07:27 AM)
For an international applicant who might not be able to visit the school, do you offer contact with alumni who reside in the same country/city to meet and get an insight into the school?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:08:01 AM)
Pira, one in which the recommender not only gives strong praise, but can back up that praise with convincing examples demonstrating the qualities they are praising.

Pira P (Oct 11, 2004 11:08:50 AM)
? What is the percentage of international student's job placement in the US after MBA?

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:09:09 AM)
Guest - the Lester Center is a great resource for students interested in Entrepreneurship! I always hear people talking about the classes offered through them - last week the class tore apart a business plan, and then realized the (successful) writers were in the room - what a great learning experience! The business plan competition is one of the big events of the year, and I think they rely quite a bit on the Lester Center for advice and guidance. As I haven't been directly involved, I'd recommend trying to connect with some students that might know more, such as the Entrepreneur's Association, or the Business Plan Competition Organizers.

Sunil (Oct 11, 2004 11:09:26 AM)
How common is it for MBA students to pick up credits from the Berkeley Tech School?

Sunil (Oct 11, 2004 11:09:30 AM)
Are any MBA students offered TAs/RAs at the Berkeley Tech school?

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:10:13 AM)
Stuti, we participate in a variety of MBA Fairs around the world, and also provide Berkeley MBA Information Sessions in many cities at which we also have alumni present. If there isn't one in your area, it may be possible to put you in contact with alumni. Visit our web site for a listing of events that we are doing. Where are you living?

Guest1234 (Oct 11, 2004 11:10:44 AM)
Thanks Kelli...

vickyromero (Oct 11, 2004 11:11:33 AM)
How do you feel about someone with 7-8 years of experience choosing NOT to apply to an exec. MBA but feel a full time is better?

stuti (Oct 11, 2004 11:11:38 AM)
I am currently based in India and I checked Haas's upcoming tour schedule. Unfortunately, there is no event scheduled in India

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:11:47 AM)
Hi Sunil - I haven't heard of the Berkeley tech School... but I know that it is possible to take classes in other Berkeley programs, such as engineering. Does that help?

Sunil (Oct 11, 2004 11:12:47 AM)
Sorry, by Tech I mean Engineering! :-)

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:14:29 AM)
Sunil - Yes, then, it is possible to take classes there! As for Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) positions, I don't know anyone who has done it, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:14:53 AM)
Pira, the percentage of international students who are able to stay and work in the US is much smaller than it used to be, and this is true for all MBA programs--it's based on changes in US immigration law. All international students who finish their academic program in the US have the ability to get one year of practical training, which allows work in the US for one year. To continue after that year, it is necessary to be sponsored by a company for an H1B visa. The number of H1B visas used to be approximately 189 ,000 per year; this number was reduced to 68,000 in October 2003. The impact of this change is that many US-based companies are not able to obtain H1B visas for international employees. The good news is that many multinational companies are still hiring for positions based in other countries. (The exact data for the 2004 graduating MBA class will be listed in the career services section of our web site in a week or two).

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 11:15:23 AM)
In general, it is tough for MBA students to manage the demanding full-time program, the extra-curriculars, which really add to the value of the program, and a teaching position.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:16:00 AM)
Vicky, it is really up to you--we have a number of individuals in the full-time program with 7-8 years of experience--it depends on what things you are looking for in the MBA Program.

Pira P (Oct 11, 2004 11:16:04 AM)
? How important is community service to Haas? I did my volunteer on project-basis so it is difficult to determine the exact working hours per week. Please advise.

stuti (Oct 11, 2004 11:16:08 AM)
? What are some of the most common mistakes you see when you read essays

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:17:00 AM)
Stuti, we have put students in contact with alumni in India. It is possible that we will be participating in events there later in the year- if so, we will notify everyone on our prospect database...

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:17:31 AM)
Pira, again it is just one of the things that we are considering in evaluating candidates. You should give us your best estimate of the number of hours.

I-love-bacon (Oct 11, 2004 11:17:47 AM)
Pete, I am in Denver, Colorado unfortunately 1000 miles from the closest info session. I would love the opportunity to meet with Alumni, would that be possible?

Vince (Oct 11, 2004 11:17:50 AM)
? Pete, are the acceptance rates for the regular and EWMBA programs similar?

vickyromero (Oct 11, 2004 11:18:03 AM)
Kelli, how would you rate Haas' courses with regards to Social Responsibility? How big is the NetImpact chapter there?

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 11:19:37 AM)
Last questions...

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:20:57 AM)
Stuti, one common mistake is not adequately explaining your goals; another is writing an essay to address what you think the admissions committee wants to hear. In other words, some candidates assume that we are looking for particular answers, and write essays accordingly--even if the answer they submit has nothing to do with their actual interests and goals. The result is an essay that lacks passion, and comes across as 'flat'. You also want to be sure that you don't submit the same essay to different programs and forget to change the name of the institution! Also, you want to make sure that the essays actually address the questions posed, rather than just providing generic essays written for a variety of schools.

KelliChesterHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:22:29 AM)
Vicky - Social Responsibility is another of the great programs here. I haven't personally taken any of the classes, but the projects that people did last semester sounded amazing. (The center's website will have more info than I could provide: www.haas.berkeley.edu/responsiblebusiness) As for Net Impact, I believe that we have one of the largest chapters - I know that the Haas chapter plans many of it's own events for the conference because at least 50 students go every year. The Social Venture competition also originated here at Haas a few years ago - now it's global, sponsored by the Goldman Sach's foundation, and is co-run with Columbia and LBS.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:22:47 AM)
I Love B, you may have that opportunity later in the process, as those applicants interviewed in Denver will meet with an alum, but we don't have any other current events organized there. Unfortunately, at this time, we simply don't have the resources to match prospective students one by one with alumni.

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 11:23:31 AM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Pete and Kelli.

PeteJohnsonHaas (Oct 11, 2004 11:23:50 AM)
Thank you all for your great questions, and best wishes with your MBA applications!

Linda Abraham (Oct 11, 2004 11:24:08 AM)
Good luck with your applications!

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room