2005 Michigan Ross MBA Admissions Chat with Jim Hayes

2005 Michigan Ross MBA Admissions Chat with Jim Hayes

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Chat Transcript:

Normally Accepted.com chats start with an introduction of school representatives, however the Michigan representatives arrived early and immediately started responding to questions. Since the pre-chat material is excellent, we have decided to leave it in the transcript and have it precede the formal introduction and remainder of the chat.

andy_kawasaki (Nov 1, 2004 9:13:59 AM)
Hi Mr. Towle, I would like to know how you would define your MAP experience?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:14:23 AM)
I did an IMAP for an Israeli start-up company. (Medical device) Basically, they were just going through their proof of concept testing. We were brought in to develop their business plan for them so they could go out and secure their first round of venture financing. Great experience. I had never been involved in business planning before, so I learned a lot about all the different components of the business plan. We spent a few weeks in Europe meeting with various comparable companies, venture capitalists and what/not before coming back to do the same in the US.

andy_kawasaki (Nov 1, 2004 9:16:41 AM)
Geoffrey, which is your background in?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:17:23 AM)
Andy, I was doing pharmaco-economics and market/outcomes research in the healthcare industry.

Linda (Nov 1, 2004 9:18:51 AM)
Is there a certain aura in the business school?

andy_kawasaki (Nov 1, 2004 9:19:16 AM)
Geoffrey, what about your internship?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:19:42 AM)
Linda, we have a very collaborative culture, if that's what you're asking. I think one of the great benefits about being in Ann Arbor is that people don't disperse into a huge city like New York at the end of the day, so it's a great community to be a part of.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:20:49 AM)
Andy, I interned at Abbott Laboratories as a Product Manager.

Linda (Nov 1, 2004 9:21:58 AM)
Its just that every time I've gone to Law School Events and MBA Events students from certain schools tend to carry themselves in a certain manner. It's almost as if they're stuck on themselves. A prime example would be Northwestern. Although, I agree they have awesome programs, their students tend to be very.. "short" is the best way I could describe it.

andy_kawasaki (Nov 1, 2004 9:22:14 AM)
You are right Geoffrey, I visited Ann Arbor a couple of years ago and the city is a very excellent place to stay and live during your MBA, but what about the placement opportunities in Michigan and near cities?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:22:59 AM)
Linda, I think that's an important consideration when you look at different schools. Of course, it's not always the easiest one to see, either.

Linda (Nov 1, 2004 9:23:54 AM)
Same with diversification. Schools claim diversity, but you still have your cliques of various cultural groups clinging to their own corner of a room.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:24:38 AM)
Andy, most students leave Ann Arbor and Michigan entirely when they graduate. Our recruiters come from all over the world. For those who want to stay in this area, there are certainly opportunities with a lot of large companies headquartered in the area, in addition to offices of all the big consulting firms.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:25:43 AM)
To some extent, Linda. I think that especially in the beginning, there is something to the level of comfort in familiarity. But I see a lot of people pushing themselves outside of that zone, and a lot of other people here trying to help them accomplish that.

Linda (Nov 1, 2004 9:26:45 AM)
Great! Is it preferred for an MBA to have a certain number of years of work experience?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:27:10 AM)
Absolutely. There are a lot of good things going on here at Ross this year. We have good momentum!

andy_kawasaki (Nov 1, 2004 9:28:07 AM)
Ross in now ranked number one for recruiters, isn't it?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:29:24 AM)
We typically ask that applicants have two to three years of work experience prior to applying. The average work experience is about five years, but the range is from zero to twelve years. More important than the quantity of work experience is the quality of that experience. Specifically, we are looking for someone has demonstrated the ability to have an impact on an organization, a company or an individual.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:29:27 AM)
Andy, yes, we were just ranked #1 by the Wall Street Journal, which bases their rankings on recruiter feedback.

Linda (Nov 1, 2004 9:30:30 AM)
Jim, how about non-profit backgrounds?

andy_kawasaki (Nov 1, 2004 9:31:01 AM)
Geoffrey, can you tell me more about the TOZI Center? What can an MBA Finance student learn from there?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:31:35 AM)
Many of our students come from non-profit backgrounds. And many go into not-for-profits upon graduation. There is a non profit management center here, and students can take courses on that track if there interests are in that area.

Roberto (Nov 1, 2004 9:31:53 AM)
Jim, what are the areas that the B-School has been working on in the last years?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:33:07 AM)
Andy, finance really isn't my specialty. The Tozzi Center can be used for a lot of different things. For one, you can pursue your Bloomberg Certification at the Tozzi Center. There are also courses offered that use the Tozzi Center. Giving students an opportunity to learn more than just the function of trading, but the technology behind it all. There is at least one course in the Tozzi Center where you'll be given $$$ to trade -- your own portfolio.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:33:09 AM)
The first thing that comes to mind is the generous gift from Stephen M. Ross. I am told that those discussions have been ongoing for the past three years. In addition, we have just completed the restructuring of our MBA curriculum.

Linda (Nov 1, 2004 9:33:31 AM)
What is the length of the MBA at Ross?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:33:44 AM)
Some of my classmates use it to do some in-depth research on companies before interviews...

andy_kawasaki (Nov 1, 2004 9:33:54 AM)
Geoffrey, what is the Bloomberg Certification?

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 9:34:25 AM)
Mr. Hayes, I know that some schools have problems finding internships or jobs for international students. How is this situation at Ross?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:34:53 AM)
The MBA program is a two year program. Our academic year lasts 8 months. So the entire curriculum spreads out over 16 months. A summer internship during the in between summer gets the program length to 20 months.

Linda (Nov 1, 2004 9:35:16 AM)
Bloomberg Certification: The program, which has been adopted by many financial institutions and corporations worldwide, is designed to provide market professionals with the tools and resources to optimize their job performance.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:35:32 AM)
Thanks, Linda.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:35:57 AM)
We have not had that problem here at Ross. Al Cotrone will join the Chat at 1:00 p.m. (Eastern).

Rodrigo_Melo (Brazil) (Nov 1, 2004 9:36:45 AM)
Jim, some students told me that this gift from Stephen M. Ross will be used to restructure some UMBS facilities, right? What is the timeframe for these improvements? When do you expect it to be ready?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:38:31 AM)
75% (or $75 million) of the gift will go to improving facilities. To me that means that we will be knocking down some walls. The timeframe is uncertain at this point, but I continue to hear that work will begin in earnest in 18 to 24 months.

andy_kawasaki (Nov 1, 2004 9:38:46 AM)
Geoffrey, what characteristic most defines a Michigan MBA student?

Roberto (Nov 1, 2004 9:39:12 AM)
Jim, I know that the curriculum now is more flexible; is there an advisory office where students can receive guidance on matching developmental needs or interests with elective courses?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:40:14 AM)
Our office of Academic Services is available for one on one counseling. We also have peer counselors (MBA's) who provide counsel to MBA first years.

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 9:40:17 AM)
Mr. Hayes, some universities are increasing the tuition cost. Will you plan to increase substantially the tuition cost for the next fall?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:40:57 AM)
Andy, that's a tough question to choose one characteristic. I would have to say collaborative.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:41:28 AM)
Jarango, like most top schools our tuition costs increase annually, but I know of no specific plans to substantially increase tuition costs next year.

Rodrigo_Melo (Brazil) (Nov 1, 2004 9:41:53 AM)
Jim, using the question of Jarango, do accepted students still have the CitiAssist Loan? How much does it cover? Will it cover an increase in the tuition?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:42:09 AM)
I agree with Geoff. The word "collaboration" immediately comes to mind when I think about our approach to management education.

Boris Pilipenko (Nov 1, 2004 9:42:11 AM)
Hi all, I am from Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. I have a follow up question to Geoffrey: What is unique about Ross for you?

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:42:13 AM)
Hi folks. I just joined in. I'm currently an MBA second year student and married - so I can provide some detail around the balance of school work and maintaining a healthy relationship.

andy_kawasaki (Nov 1, 2004 9:43:30 AM)
Hi Jay, is your wife in SOS?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:43:30 AM)
We still have the CitiAssist loan in place. This guaranteed loan program (no co-signer) has an interest rate tied to the Prime Rate, no repayments while in the MBA program, up to 15 years to repay the loan, and you can borrow up to 100% of your educational costs.

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:43:46 AM)
Andy - she is in SOS and she loves it.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:43:54 AM)
Boris, in terms of the academics, I really think the focus on "action-based learning" is unique here. I had the most amazing multidisciplinary action project (MAP) experience that really tied together what I learned from the first year.

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:44:18 AM)
Andy - My wife travels for work a bit so she can't take part in all the SOS activities, but she feels fully involved when she does. Most of our best friends are involved in SOS.

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 9:44:37 AM)
Geoffrey, I'm planning to visit Ann Arbor on December 9. Will I be able to find some students to talk to about specific questions? Will it be possible to have a campus tour?

andy_kawasaki (Nov 1, 2004 9:44:40 AM)
Jay, can your wife work, practice or study inside campus?

vbmarcus (Nov 1, 2004 9:45:10 AM)
How does your wife feel now that you are on this amazing educational journey? Is she working? Do you have any children?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:45:33 AM)
Jarango, you should definitely coordinate with the Admissions Office to get a tour of the school and spend some time with students and potentially sit in on a class. I think you'll find that everyone you meet will be happy to answer questions.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:45:35 AM)
Many of the SOSers work on campus. Here in Admissions, there are four SOSers working for us.

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:45:47 AM)
Andy, yes, when she wants to get away from her phone. She works for H&R Block as a regional marketing manager. They let her work from home, which is fantastic for us. When she feels that she needs to get a lot of work done, she'll come to the library with me.

Roberto (Nov 1, 2004 9:46:22 AM)
Jim, what are the most important factors when considering to award a student with a merit-based scholarship?

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:46:40 AM)
Vbmarcus - My wife and I are loving it here! The support network is incredible; we always have fun people to get together with. We don't have kids yet.

andy_kawasaki (Nov 1, 2004 9:46:56 AM)
Mr. Hayes, does borrowing 100% of educational costs also apply to international students?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:47:56 AM)
Merit based scholarships are awarded based upon the overall strength of the application for admission. We consider the quality of your work experience, GMAT score, GPA, community activities, strength of your recommendation letters, and the interview. All are equally important in the process for awarding merit scholarships.

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 9:48:05 AM)
Mr. Hayes, what do you value more, the academic records or a successful career?

andy_kawasaki (Nov 1, 2004 9:48:16 AM)
Jay, are you part of M-Trek?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:49:01 AM)
Don't let a lower GPA be a problem. You'll have to compensate for it, though, with a higher GMAT score!!

Roberto (Nov 1, 2004 9:49:10 AM)
Ok. How many students, in average, receive scholarships?

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:49:27 AM)
Andy - I did an M-Trek when I came to school, but I didn't lead one last year. I hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu with 10 other first years and 2 second years. It was awesome! It was also a great way to meet people instantly. I'm still very close with my M Trek group - we still get together to play cards.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:49:30 AM)
Andy, yes, internationals also have access to the CitiAssist loan that will cover 100% of the costs.

Boris Pilipenko (Nov 1, 2004 9:50:01 AM)
Mr. Hayes, if an international student like me can't fulfill his interview before the application deadline but may be traveling to UM in January, would it be acceptable to have the interview then?

andy_kawasaki (Nov 1, 2004 9:50:59 AM)
Jay. I'm Peruvian. Cusco is a great place.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:51:22 AM)
Both academics and career accomplishments are important. But, again the GPA is what it is. You can't change it. So focus your application on the strength of your work experience. And a higher GMAT score should offset any concerns about academic ability.

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:51:51 AM)
Andy - nice! We had a great time in Lima for a few days but Cusco was amazing. So warm and energetic. We had an interesting ride to the trail head though - the locals were on strike and didn't want us to pass! Talk about a team bonding moment.

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 9:51:58 AM)
Jim, considering that some applicants are not native English speakers, do you value the GMAT differently depending on the country the applicant is from?

vbmarcus (Nov 1, 2004 9:52:43 AM)
According to the WSJ, the major shortcomings of a Michigan MBA (at least according to recruiters) are that "students often lack leadership charisma" and "students' interview skills" are considered shortcomings. What do you attribute this to? (Mind you the WSJ also ranked Ross #1).

Linda (Nov 1, 2004 9:55:12 AM)
Does Ross Business School favor bilingual students?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:55:54 AM)
Applicants from countries where English is not the language of delivery are required to take the GMAT. If the verbal portion of the GMAT is lower, then we look more to the TOEFL to ensure that English proficiency is present.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:56:25 AM)
vbmarcus, I haven't seen the WSJ rankings yet so it's difficult for me to answer that question. Were those simply the areas where the scores were lowest, or was it truly a low score?

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:57:25 AM)
vbmarcus - I disagree with the WSJ's perception of our school. Leadership is emphasized at this school - so much so that the what was a one week leadership orientation for current MBA second year students has morphed into a 2 week version (for this year's MBA first year students). All reports were positive and I think they plan to do the same next year. In terms of interview skills, that one really depends on the person. OCD has numerous opportunities to perfect skills and individual clubs hold interview workshops, mocks and progressives.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:57:35 AM)
Bi-lingual capability can be a plus.

Rodrigo_Melo (Brazil) (Nov 1, 2004 9:57:38 AM)
Jim, you require both GMAT and TOEFL official scores in the application process, right? How do we know you have received the score in the round we are applying?

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 9:57:41 AM)
Do you have currently students from Colombia (South America)?

andy_kawasaki (Nov 1, 2004 9:57:50 AM)
Geoffrey, what about the Emerging Markets Club? Do you know someone who belongs there?

Boris Pilipenko (Nov 1, 2004 9:58:06 AM)
Mr. Hayes, does Ross Business School put more value in certain sections of GMAT? If yes, which ones?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:58:36 AM)
Rodrigo, if anything is missing from your application we will contact you to let you know.

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:59:09 AM)
In addition to our Michigan Leadership Program that takes place before school begins, there is the Transition Program that bookends that experience and, now the Week of Professional Development that takes place mid-program. There are some distinctive Leadership education opportunities here at Ross.

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:59:10 AM)
Boris - Jim is swamped so I'll jump in. I'm a member of the Admission Student Committee - so I help read applications and conduct interviews. No one section of the test is valued over any other.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:59:16 AM)
I don't know much about the Emerging Markets club, myself, but know that the school is very active in this area with the William Davidson Institute, with a lot of professors doing research in this area.

Linda (Nov 1, 2004 9:59:42 AM)
I'm just curious, but is there a student run corporation at all? For simulation purposes?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 9:59:59 AM)
We view the score in its entirety. Because of the quantitative component in many of our courses, we look carefully at the quant component of the GMAT score.

Boris Pilipenko (Nov 1, 2004 10:01:02 AM)
If a student (international) is only able to travel to UM in January but only submitted the application prior - could he potentially be interviewed then?

Rodrigo_Melo (Brazil) (Nov 1, 2004 10:01:25 AM)
Mr. Cotrone, are we assigned with a specific career advisor who gives us guidance and follow our specific profile or we have contact with different advisors in the Office of Career Development?

Linda (Nov 1, 2004 10:01:40 AM)
What types of questions are asked in the interview?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:02:00 AM)
We have no absolute cut-offs as it relates to the GMAT. We do have a cutoff for the TOEFL (600 paper based, or 250 computer based).

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:02:04 AM)
Boris - I'm not exactly sure. I think you can interview after you have submitted your application, but you must do it prior to the deadline stated on the website. If you can't make it to Ann Arbor, you can do it over the phone. I'm conducting a phone interview Wednesday.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:02:41 AM)
Linda, we have a number of simulations that take place within courses to simulate different parts of businesses. Plus, the student clubs are very complicated organizations to run. But I think what differentiates Michigan is that we don't just rely on simulations or cases, but that we have opportunities for students to get real-life experience.

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 10:03:00 AM)
Mr. Cotrone, what is your rate of placement for international students?

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:03:32 AM)
vbmarcus - no problem. This is a great place and the school is so flexible, if you had issues with leadership training or interview skills you could work with the school to improve those areas.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:04:12 AM)
The interview questions asked are similar to the essay questions. In essence, we try to assess your the quality of your work experience, your knowledge of our approach to management education, and your problem solving ability. In addition, in a face to face interview, we get to assess your ability to have an impact through your interpersonal communications style.

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:04:33 AM)
Rodrigo, You have access to all of the advisors in OCD. You are free to identify one with whom you enjoy working, or to have a variety of viewpoints. It is at your discretion. We find that when you are assigned, there is the risk that a bad match is made, which would not be the most beneficial to you.al.

Linda (Nov 1, 2004 10:04:58 AM)
Are you required to have great interpersonal communications style?

Swati (Nov 1, 2004 10:06:33 AM)
Mr. Hayes, I am considering applying to Michigan. Your requirements expressly state that 3-year bachelors degree are not considered equivalent of the 4-yr US degree. Are there no exceptions to this rule? A 3-year bachelor's is the accepted system in India.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:06:45 AM)
The short answer is you have to have strong interpersonal communications skills. That does not mean that you must have the ability to stand up and speak to a large group extemporaneously, but you should be able to convey your thoughts clearly with conviction to whatever your point of view is.

Rodrigo_Melo (Brazil) (Nov 1, 2004 10:07:20 AM)
Mr. Cotrone, since interviews for summer internships begin in January, do we have contact with OCD since the first day? Do they have mock interviews or some preparation for these first interviews?

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:08:14 AM)
Jarango, our 2004 Employment Profile is available on line and breaks out the employment choices of the Class of 2004 into several different categories. Overall, 91% of the reporting graduating class indicated having received an offer within 3 months of graduation and the international students within that figure were at 84%.al.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 10:08:49 AM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's Michigan Ross Admissions Chat.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 10:08:59 AM)
I also want to welcome Jim Hayes, Michigan's Director of Admissions, Al Cotrone, Director of the Office of Career Development, Geoffrey Towle, Class of 2005, Jay Goebel, Class of 2005.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:08:59 AM)
The three year degree is not considered to be equivalent to our 4 year degree. You must have a two year masters degree or have passed the Chartered Accountancy exam.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 10:09:12 AM)
Geoffrey and Jay, could you each tell us a little about yourselves? What did you do before coming to Michigan and this past summer? What do you want to do after you graduate?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:10:44 AM)
Sure, Linda. My background is in the healthcare industry. I was involved in pharmaco-economics and outcomes research across all the healthcare sectors. I came to Michigan with the goal of going back into life sciences in a marketing capacity. To that end, I spent my summer at Abbott Laboratories as a Neuroscience Product Manager.

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:10:46 AM)
Rodrigo, you will have access to OCD BEFORE the first day. We meet with our admitted students upon their enrollment as they desire. They are also free to join our workshops at that time - so - yes - long before your first interview in January, you will have access to OCD.

Boris Pilipenko (Nov 1, 2004 10:11:05 AM)
Mr. Hayes, should both recommendation letters come from work supervisors/employers? Would references from academic supervisors be of equal value?

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:12:01 AM)
I spent the last 7 years in Denver, Colorado (with a year in Atlanta, GA) working for a promotions agency that does in-store programs for Coors Brewing Company and Coca-Cola. I came to business school so that I could make the transition from marketing services to brand management. I spent the summer at PepsiCo in Chicago working on the Propel Fitness Water brand (an offshoot of Gatorade). I'm married and my wife works from home. I love Michigan football (last weekend's game was the best this year). I'm involved in the Marketing Club, Admissions Student Committee, Global Blue, and the Ultimate Frisbee club.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:12:10 AM)
We require that both recommendation letters come from someone who has supervised you at work. Recommendations from professors leave less of an impact.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 10:12:25 AM)
Al, how is recruiting going this year? Are there more companies recruiting on campus this year? More interviews scheduled?

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 10:13:04 AM)
Jim, if you are looking at an application and the numbers and basic profile is in the ballpark for a Ross student, what distinguishes an application that is accepted from one that is rejected?

vbmarcus (Nov 1, 2004 10:13:18 AM)
Al, Geoff, Jay, or Jim; I am  a design engineer for the petrochemical industry where my experience is quite technical. Do you recommend some basic stat. and economics classes prior to trying to gain admittance to the MBA program, or do you think my engineering math background is sufficient?

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 10:14:05 AM)
Jay and Geoffrey, what do you like best at Ross? What would you like to see improved?

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:14:43 AM)
Linda, 2004 is seeing significantly more activity on-campus. The companies are reporting available positions up to 50% greater than in prior years. Students still must be focused and prepared, but if they are ready to go into the process, there are many more opportunities than 2003 - which was actually quite a strong year from an employment perspective, too!

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:15:00 AM)
Linda, some unique quality in their work experience or their community involvement could make the difference.

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:15:09 AM)
vbmarcus - I'd say it depends on the overall story your entire application tells. If you're strong in quant on your GMAT and can indicate your proficiency in your essays and interviews, you're probably ok. On the other hand, taking extra courses shows your commitment to getting in to school, and it prepares you for your first year. If you do well in those classes, you could place out of some of your first year core classes and move into electives quicker.

Rupesh (Nov 1, 2004 10:15:15 AM)
Jim, are the scores of the verbal and quantitative section in the GMAT also seen separately or only the overall GMAT score is relevant. If the verbal scores is seen separately, is there a minimum cut-off?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:16:00 AM)
As I mentioned to a few people earlier, I really like the atmosphere here and my colleagues, and also the commitment to action-based learning. I had started an MBA part-time before deciding to come to Michigan full-time, and the emphasis on being able to apply your learning in a real-life situation is huge. That's when everything really comes together for me and it also shows you how the various courses are inter-related.

Swati (Nov 1, 2004 10:16:13 AM)
Sir, I do have a 2-years masters degree in addition to a 3 year BA degree, but from where can I assess if this will be allotted credit? I was told by your admission staff that they contact a regional office/regional director in India to find out about the degree, but I am not aware of the details. I have been given the information on the website-www.aiuweb.com, but have not been able to reach a conclusion, from that information. What further can I do to help myself in assessing my eligibility?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:16:56 AM)
The overall score and all of its components are relevant. There is no minimum cut-off score.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:17:08 AM)
As far as improvements, I think the biggest need is facilities. The school has done a great job at finding interim solutions to facilities constraints, and fortunately the capital campaign is well underway and $75 million of Stephen M. Ross' donation will directly address this concern.

aspenxtrm (Nov 1, 2004 10:17:08 AM)
What is considered a "strong" quant and/or verbal score?

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:17:22 AM)
Ross has exceeded my expectations in every way imaginable. The quality of instruction has been great - but even better has been the quality of students. You really do learn a lot from fellow classmates and the breadth of experience and backgrounds is astounding. Ditto Geoffrey's comments on the action-based learning; I've been involved in a few real world scenarios already and have learned a great deal from them.

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:17:37 AM)
Geoffrey stole my answer for improvements. Regarding facilities -- I will also say that it's not such a problem right now that it impedes our ability to get things done. It's more of an inconvenience.

Rodrigo_Melo (Brazil) (Nov 1, 2004 10:17:40 AM)
Jim Hayes, is there any requirement to enroll in an I-MAP? Is there a limited number of slots? How are they assigned? Could you speak a little more about the I-MAP selection?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:17:54 AM)
Send us an email (rossmba@umich.edu) and we will try to provide an assessment.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 10:19:56 AM)
Al, are any sectors particularly active or more active than they have been since 2000?

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:20:21 AM)
Agreed. It's really not that bad. Classrooms are filled with computing and overhead services. All professors take full advantage of PowerPoint presentations, video presentations and internet access while teaching. The school has done a good job to create additional study areas. There's plenty of private, quiet, study space (the kind I like) in the library, etc.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 10:20:59 AM)
For Jay and Geoffrey, what MAPs have you participated in?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:21:11 AM)
There is no requirement that you do an IMAP, but you are required to do a MAP of some type. You will bid on the type of MAP you seek. Our faculty will determine based upon the number of people applying for a particular type of MAP who gets in. Most students do get either their first or second choice.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:22:20 AM)
I did an IMAP with an Israeli start-up company. They were just finishing up their proof of concept for their medical device, and wanted to pursue their first round of venture financing but didn't have any business staff with the knowledge of how to go about doing that (they are all scientists at this stage).

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:22:28 AM)
As far as sectors and recruitment strength, we've probably seen a return to the relative strengths that were present in 2000. The Consultants and Investment Banks have returned in strength, and Brand Management is looking to hold the edge it's gained in the past few years. Finally, I've just returned from our West Coast Forum, and the tech sector is back and looking for talent, too. The tables have definitely turned again!

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:22:34 AM)
I did an IMAP with an Irish technology startup called Nowcasting International. Nowcasting developed a weather prediction software package and targeted the recreational boating segment. We were charged with looking at opportunities for market entry in the United States. We visited Nowcasting's 6 person HQ in Ireland and went to a boat show in California to gather information. A great team experience!

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 10:23:14 AM)
Geoffrey, so did you help them develop a business plan and present it to VCs?

aspenxtrm (Nov 1, 2004 10:23:31 AM)
How much, if any, did your MAP project help you when it came to recruiting?

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 10:24:10 AM)
Mr. Hayes, I have noticed that some schools are trying to increase their GMAT. Is Ross planning something like that?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:24:16 AM)
Linda, that's exactly right. We prepared their business plan for them and also a presentation for them to give to VCs. Along the way we met with a lot of VCs in Europe and in the US, in addition to comparable companies around the world to judge how best to present their situation. Today, the company has successfully raised several million dollars using our business plan and are almost finished their first round.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 10:24:34 AM)
What a fantastic experience!

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:24:35 AM)
apsenxtrm - nice name, by the way - a skier I presume? My Map experience didn't help me that much because my background fit so well with what I was looking for. I could have relied on the MAP experiences to tell my leadership and teamwork story though.

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:24:41 AM)
As to facilities here at Ross, I find it extremely inspiring to think in terms of what the school has accomplished over the years with the resources that we've had...the idea that we will now have over 100 million dollars with which to augment our accomplishments with state of the art facilities leaves me full of anticipation for the future!

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 10:25:07 AM)
You can do a lot with $100 million! What are some of the plans for using that generous gift?

Boris Pilipenko (Nov 1, 2004 10:25:39 AM)
Geoffrey and Jay, do you interact closely with your professors? Are professors available outside of class and easy to access?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:25:54 AM)
Aspen, I had already accepted my offer from Abbott the week before starting IMAP. Having said that, I have some friends who went back to their MAP companies for the summer. And I also received an offer from one of the VCs that was working closely with my IMAP company.

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:26:17 AM)
Boris - absolutely. All professors have set office hours and most encourage drop by visits as well.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:26:48 AM)
We do focus on GMAT scores as an admissions criteria. Right now our average score is 690. We will try to improve that average by a couple of points or so this year, but our middle 80% range will probably remain around 650 to 750. Again, there is no minimum cutoff score for the GMAT.

vbmarcus (Nov 1, 2004 10:27:43 AM)
Thanks to the high accolades that Ross has received this year, do you anticipate a higher volume of applications compared with the last few years? If so, do you anticipate the number of students accepted into the MBA program to increase?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:27:56 AM)
Boris, the availability of the professors has been one of my biggest surprises. They all go out of their way to make themselves available and really approach the MBA students as an opportunity for them to learn, as well as impart their teachings. I have had professors attend social gatherings organized by us, as well.

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 10:28:11 AM)
Geoffrey and Jay, the average age of the Class is 28, but do you know how the experience is for people over 30?

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:28:38 AM)
As to the use of the gift from Stephen M. Ross, it is primarily the base of our allocated $350,000,000 portion of the University of Michigan's broader campaign goal. As we build toward our $350,000,000 goal, roughly 3/4 of Mr. Ross's gift is earmarked as the base of the goal for our facilities, while the remaining 1/4 will be added to our endowment in order to maintain our edge in attracting the most top-flight faculty possible. As to the actual physical improvements, there is still much in the planning stages, but we are anticipating a completely redesigned student classroom area; a significant increase in the number of study areas to augment our action-based learning focus; a revised external guest area and an enclosed "winter garden" to act as the soul of our learning process where all community members can come together to share and learn.

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:29:26 AM)
Jarango - I am 30 and have had a tremendous experience. I know some folks that have gone through the program who have been in their late 30s and they say the same. Everyone here deserves to be here and can contribute something unique.

Swati (Nov 1, 2004 10:29:30 AM)
For Mr. Cotrone: I have a background in international apparel trade, with a specialization in marketing. Since Ross is very strong in marketing, how can someone like me, who seeks to diversify within the same field expect to gain from the career services and other learning opportunities in the apparel retail sector? My experience to date is predominantly US related (Chico's, Target, Ralph Lauren etc) and I really want to explore the learning opportunities existing there. How strong are the existing industry linkages and are there currently students going this way?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:29:35 AM)
Jarango, the average is just that -- an average. I have a number of classmates who are in their 30s. Most are in their early 30s, but there are a few who are in their late 30s (maybe older!)

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 10:30:46 AM)
Jay and Geoffrey, why did you choose Michigan?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:30:58 AM)
There is incredible excitement at Ross this year. #1 in WSJ rankings, up two places to #6 in the BW rankings, and $100 million richer. I think that our applications will increase, but it is difficult to tell on what magnitude. We will still manage to a class size of 430, so if our yield goes up we will not need to make as many offers. Conversely, if the yield does not hold we will make more offers. Regardless, our focus will be on admitting a class of highly qualified future Ross alumni!

Rodrigo_Melo (Brazil) (Nov 1, 2004 10:31:17 AM)
Jim, can you tell us about the X-MAP. I heard that some chapters of the new Prahalad's book were based on the research some students made during their X-MAP. Are there new plans for the X-MAP? Something similar?

vbmarcus (Nov 1, 2004 10:31:56 AM)
Thank you Jim... Exciting.

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:32:39 AM)
Swati, Ross has over 33,000 alumni, and the University of Michigan has the world's largest living alumni population - as a Ross student, you will be able to access our alumni database to learn and network with individuals within your field. Our marketing connections include retail as well as traditional Brand/CPG and Services Marketing. Specifically, we'll work with you on how to approach the connections we have, how to establish those relationships (in addition to your own) and how to define and secure the position that is best for you. We have strong connections in New York, Chicago, Minneapolis and many other cities around which apparel and trade revolve.

Rahoul (Nov 1, 2004 10:33:09 AM)
Mr. Cotrone, I am specifically interested to know about the current recruitment trends and profiles from UMBS by the automobile sector.

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:34:21 AM)
I actually didn't want to choose Michigan at first because I went to undergrad here. I was looking for a new experience, but I just couldn't ignore the program. Ultimately, it came down to this - I want to run a business some day and I believe that Michigan is the best place to learn crucial management and leadership skills. Rather than claiming a functional specialty, Michigan allows you to master a wide range of subjects. I liked that I didn't have to declare a major, but could tailor my learning to fill in the gaps in my background. I was impressed by MAP, the executive skills workshops, and the LDP week. Also, I knew that at Michigan I had access to a greater University of world class learning and culture. Opportunities are endless here (and the football is great too!)

aspenxtrm (Nov 1, 2004 10:34:43 AM)
Thanks for your help! BTW, I board...real men don' ski. :)

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:34:45 AM)
Rodrigo, the only thing that is clear at this point is that XMAP will continue and will grow due to the incredible experiences of those students who participated last year. XMAP involved C.K. Prahalad and six groups of students who went to India last summer. Those student groups focused on issues related to hunger, poverty, and disease. This is quite atypical when prospective students think about ways to spend their summer. Talk about instilling social responsibility!

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:34:45 AM)
I chose Michigan because of the people and the philosophy of management education. I can't say enough about the people. The faculty and staff are all amazing and friendly. The students are all very collaborative and are always willing to help out and are generally fun people to be around in and outside of the class. The alumni, who Al just alluded to, are the same way. They come back to campus and give back to the community in so many ways, and are so open to helping current students in their career choices. This is what really sold me on Michigan. What got me looking towards Michigan in the first place was the strength of the academic programs across the board. I wanted to get good exposure to all facets of business -- after all, I plan on getting to a level within a company where I can't get by just being an expert in marketing or strategy -- but where I need to bring a knowledge of all subjects to the table.

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:35:12 AM)
Typically, only about 3-5% of our class will secure positions in the automotive sector. I do believe, however, that the sector, itself would welcome more students who had the interest. Our 2004 Employment Profile is available on line and gives a lot of the detailed breakdown on salary, etc. - showing that the automotive sector continues to be a great choice for those students who choose it.

Rupesh (Nov 1, 2004 10:35:16 AM)
Jim, do applicants with a longer work experience have an advantage?

Akshay (Nov 1, 2004 10:35:38 AM)
Al, could you throw light on the General Management and Information Systems placements? How would you rate the alumni network in these areas? Thanks.

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 10:36:22 AM)
Typically, the full time MBA is consider better for career switching. In my case, I planning to improve my career development and be prepared to my next step, General Management. Do you think your program could increase my ability and career progress while I stay in my current sector?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:36:24 AM)
The quantity of work experience is not an inherent advantage. Rather, it is the quality of that experience. We seek individuals who have demonstrated the ability to have an impact.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 10:36:37 AM)
Jay and Geoffrey, what do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you?

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 10:36:55 AM)
Jim, what percentage of accepted students was accepted each round? Is there an advantage to applying in different rounds?

Rupesh (Nov 1, 2004 10:37:30 AM)
Thanks Jim.

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:38:44 AM)
Linda, I wish I would have taken an intro finance class. When you come to campus things start moving so quickly it can be hard to keep up. The first few weeks are filled with club meetings, corporate presentations, group meetings, social events and classes. I could have benefited from a base line understanding of finance.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:38:54 AM)
Jarango, I'll jump in here because that's exactly what I did. I think that the network you build in a full-time program and the quality of the education you can get at Michigan will really make a difference. I know it has in my case, and has really opened doors to a lot of new opportunities for me.

Roberto (Nov 1, 2004 10:39:03 AM)
What role do grades play in this collaborative environment?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:39:37 AM)
The percentage of students accepted varies from round to round. Nonetheless, I would say that applicants in rounds one and two have a far better chance of being admitted than those who wait for round 3. The admit percentage in Round 1 is only slightly better than for round 2.

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:39:55 AM)
Akshay, I'll urge you to touch base with any number of our current students or recent alumni as to the strength of the alumni network - it is nothing short of astounding how open and willing our alumni are to working with, coaching and advising our current students they are! As a school that is offering a broad-based management education, our alumni are present across all industries in such positions. Information Systems positions are included in the above obviously, but I think you'll see across top MBA programs, that not a large percentage of MBA grads are seeking positions in Information Systems - the beauty of an MBA that is broad-based, however, is that it affords the student the opportunity to legitimately seek positions in a variety of industries - systems included.

Swati (Nov 1, 2004 10:39:59 AM)
What kind of diverse profiles do you consider for admissions, in addition to the characteristic applicant pool of bankers, consultants, etc? And while still on diversity, what are some of the really uncharacteristic, atypical applications that you have had a chance to review? Is there any special reason to favor or not favor such applicants?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:40:57 AM)
That's a good question. Grades are based on a curve, so in a sense you are competing against your classmates for the best grades. But at Michigan people don't take it as a competition. Before exams, my section mates often send out their consolidated study notes for the exam, and we take turns at improving them and sending them all out again.

Roberto (Nov 1, 2004 10:42:29 AM)
That's great. Competitive but collaborative as well. Thanks Geoffrey.

Akshay (Nov 1, 2004 10:44:10 AM)
If you were to rate the application sections, in what order would you rate the essays, work experience, academics and GMAT scores. Thanks.

colormix (Nov 1, 2004 10:47:09 AM)
How are the placements for the international students at UMBS this year?

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 10:47:16 AM)
Mr. Cotrone, how is the placement in the energy sector (Gas, Petroleum and Energy)? What company is the mayor recruiter in this sectors?

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 10:47:36 AM)
Geoffrey and Jay, in a non-academic way, how is living in Ann Arbor?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:48:41 AM)
Just realized I skipped a question. I'm not sure what I would have done differently before coming to school. The beginning is very hectic, so maybe I would have gotten here a little earlier so I didn't have to worry about all the little details of moving as school was starting.

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:49:01 AM)
Our 2004 Employment Profile is available on-line and has answers to many questions, but for the class of 2004, the overall class shows that 91% of the reporting class had earned an offer within 3 months of graduation. For the international students within that figure, 84% had received an offer, so the two figures are pretty close - of course, the international students work much harder at securing their positions than do the US students.

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:49:16 AM)
Jarango - I really enjoy Ann Arbor. Great restaurants, lots of good culture and a diverse population. National acts come to perform in Ann Arbor, and really large acts roll in to Detroit - only 50 minutes away.

colormix (Nov 1, 2004 10:49:16 AM)
Jim, how many applicants are you expecting in Round 1?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:49:39 AM)
I think Ann Arbor is the ideal college town. It's large enough that you're not lacking in terms of public services, museums, etc., but small enough that you really get to know your fellow MBAs because we don't all disappear into a huge city once we finish class.

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 10:50:16 AM)
Mr. Hayes, what do you value most in a candidate evaluation: The GPA, GMAT or a successful career?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:50:37 AM)
Hard to tell how many Round 1 applications we will get at this point. Since today is the last day to apply for Round 1, I guess we will know better tomorrow morning.

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:50:40 AM)
Jarango, The Energy Sector tends to be a sector that is not as large from a percentage standpoint at top MBA programs, but has been growing in the past few years. You can check our Employment Profile on line to see a listing of all of our recruiters, and I think you'll find that the top players are represented there across the industry. With the number of alumni we have in the field, I think you'll find that you can have access to opportunity wherever you may choose to focus.

vbmarcus (Nov 1, 2004 10:50:42 AM)
Are all business classes now of equal length, in terms of course time, or do some classes still overlap?

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:51:10 AM)
Jarango, leaving Ann Arbor is never an easy thing to do!!! :)

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:51:11 AM)
I should add that the sports are an amazing experience here, too. Football Saturdays at the Big House, hockey games, basketball games. All great experiences.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:52:03 AM)
Ideally, we will see high GMAT, high GPA, career success, and a strong interest in Ross all in the same applicant! Practically speaking, we won't get all of these things in one person. I give the greatest priority to the quality of the work experience, then GMAT and GPA, then career focus and interest in Ross.

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 10:52:04 AM)
Jay and Geoffrey, how expensive is leaving in Ann Arbor?

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:52:09 AM)
vbmarcus - there is overlap. We have 7 week courses and 14 week courses. Some last 1.5 hours others last 3 hours. Some start at 8AM, others start at 7PM and go till 10PM. Some professors offer classes that meet only three times, but they meet on a Saturday - for the entire day.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:53:03 AM)
Jarango, it's not particularly expensive. Certainly a lot cheaper than being in Boston, which is where I was before coming to school!

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:53:25 AM)
Jarango - Not outrageously expensive (I'm comparing to Atlanta and Denver). My wife and I pay $1100/month in rent for a 2BR, 2 Bath apartment that's about 2 miles from school. Utilities are average.

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:53:27 AM)
Jarango, the cost of living in Ann Arbor is comparable to living in Chicago. It is not inexpensive, but the cost of living is indicative of the quality of life that Ann Arborites enjoy. Also, as a student, you'll find that you become very innovative in your living style!!! :)

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:54:03 AM)
I have a great house that I share with a couple of my fellow MBAs here, and it easily falls within the budget put out by the school.

Boris Pilipenko (Nov 1, 2004 10:54:54 AM)
Geoffrey and Jay, do you do sports? Is it common for students at Ross (the UM) to be actively involved in sports? I know football is big...

vbmarcus (Nov 1, 2004 10:55:49 AM)
Thanks Jay - On that same point (course overlap) is there ever times where you cannot take a course you want due to overlap with other courses which run longer?

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:56:05 AM)
Boris - Yes. I play ultimate Frisbee and find some time, on a limited occasion, to mountain bike and road bike. I go to every football game and have split season tickets to the hockey games. Business school is a time management challenge so you have to decide if sports are important to you. If they are, you'll find a way to fit them in to your schedule..

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:56:21 AM)
Boris, I use the university's gym facilities fairly regularly to play squash and racquetball. There are a number of student clubs dedicated to various sports (soccer, rugby, football, etc., etc.) and also MBA teams for a number of sports.

Swati (Nov 1, 2004 10:56:26 AM)
Mr. Cotrone, could you provide some insight into the current trends of recruiting in this sector. I do not see very often names of apparel companies in the list of top recruiters, but is the trend to hire trained management professional strong? Also, will US students have any advantage in this regards?

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:56:59 AM)
vbmarcus - normally there are multiple offerings of the same course in each semester, so with a little work you can find ways to make things work.

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 10:57:50 AM)
vbmarcus - I haven't had to miss a class because of a time conflict. I have had to select an alternate professor once - but for the most part you can find a time slot that fits your schedules as most popular classes are offered more than once.

colormix (Nov 1, 2004 10:59:11 AM)
Do professors like Noel Tichy and CK Prahalad teach the MBA students or do they address just the EMBA students?

Boris Pilipenko (Nov 1, 2004 10:59:40 AM)
Geoffrey and Jay, what do you value in the multicultural environment of Ross, UM and Ann Arbor in general? How active are the international students?

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:00:30 AM)
Colormix - Tichy teaches the Leadership Development program at the beginning of the year so you learn from him a great deal. Prahalad teaches an elective in the Fall.

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:00:32 AM)
Swati, apparel is typically not a field that you'll see a lot of MBAs from top programs choosing to go into. In each class, however, there are a few who do so. Positions in this field are usually secured through networking with alumni. The apparel industry is not as educated on MBA compensation as are some of the more traditional MBA employers, however, we can work with them in that regard. Recently, I believe the industry has been tied to the broader economy as to its trends.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:00:35 AM)
colormix, they teach MBA students. MLP is taught in large part by Tichy, as well as the Leadership Transition Workshop, as far as I know. Prahalad just finished a course.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 11:00:38 AM)
I have a few questions for Jim related to the evaluation process for international applicants. Does Michigan evaluate them separately? Compare applicants to applicants from their own countries?

vbmarcus (Nov 1, 2004 11:01:36 AM)
How are courses/professors chosen? Is it first come first serve, or are points wagered to "buy" courses you want most (similar to Wharton)?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:02:44 AM)
To create equity in the admissions process, in countries where the applicant pool is large, we do compare applicants from those countries to each other.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:02:51 AM)
Boris, I think the diversity is fantastic. It really helps all of us when people can bring new and different perspectives to discussions in and outside of the classroom.

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:03:05 AM)
Boris - Multiculturalism manifests itself on a daily basis in the classroom, in group meetings, in club meetings and at every social occasion. Some international students are active, others are not - just like active and non-active domestic students. I have learned a lot about the world through involvement on team projects with students from other countries.

Aurora (Nov 1, 2004 11:03:08 AM)
Does Michigan have many international students?

Rahoul (Nov 1, 2004 11:03:25 AM)
Mr. Hayes, when you refer to the quality of work experience being one of the key evaluation parameters for admission to Ross, what are the major components that you use to assess the quality of work experience of a candidate?

JayGoebelRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:03:55 AM)
Vbmarcus - we bid for classes. We each have a set amount of points that we can allocate to the classes we want the most. Open spots go to the highest bidders.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:03:56 AM)
35% of the class that started in September are international students representing 32 countries. This is typical in our MBA classes from year to year.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:04:17 AM)
vbmarcus - we have a course bidding system, but the beauty of the system is that the school typically offers enough sections of each course that people generally get the classes they want.

Eduardo (Nov 1, 2004 11:04:41 AM)
Jim, do you see any change of your identity due to the change of name to Ross?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:04:47 AM)
We look for evidence of teamwork and leadership skills. Conflict management is another indication of quality work experience. We intend to become regarded as the best MBA program for those who seek a general management education in an action based learning and collaborative environment. We are making it quite clear what our approach to management education is, and those who believe that they would flourish in that environment are invited to join us in the journey!

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:07:03 AM)
These are some great questions.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 11:07:34 AM)
Al, how are international students doing in the job market? Are they able to find positions in the US, if they want to do so, or are most returning to their home countries?

Lech Czerski (Nov 1, 2004 11:08:08 AM)
I know there was a recent focus on further developing the MAP program. Are there specific areas/countries that are being targeted or are students allowed to choose where they would like to co-create the opportunities?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:09:32 AM)
Lech, the answer to your questions is both. We are expanding MAP/IMAP, but students still bid on the countries they want to work in.

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 11:09:50 AM)
Mr. Hayes, do you value most a work position for a well recognized firm equal to a small and, in some cases, not recognized firm or do you value differently the positions depending on the “name” of the company?

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 11:11:38 AM)
Mr. Hayes, do you compare differently candidates from different places? I mean, South Americans historically have lower GMAT scores. Do you consider take that into consideration?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:11:46 AM)
The name and size of the company does not matter. It is the nature of what you have accomplished in that environment that matters most.

colormix (Nov 1, 2004 11:13:48 AM)
Can you give me some information about how the Wolverine Venture Fund can be utilized by the students?

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:13:54 AM)
Yes. The percent of our students electing to secure positions overseas has remained steady at about 10-15% throughout the recession, so the evidence is that the choice remains that of the students. There are obviously, fewer opportunities for international students in the US based on visa restrictions, but generally, our students have been great at working within the parameters they face to secure steady results.

Jarango (Nov 1, 2004 11:13:57 AM)
Mr. Hayes, Mr. Cotrone, Jim and Geoffrey, thanks a lot for all this information.. It just reaffirmed my strong desire to attend Ross.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:14:56 AM)
colormix, I'm not an expert on the subject, but the Wolverine Venture Fund (WVF) is a student-managed fund where the student participanting will make the analyses of their investment options and present their recommendations to the full board. On a related note, one of the first companies that the WVF invested in several years back just had their IPO a few weeks ago, which was a huge success for the fund. Very exciting.

eunjang (Nov 1, 2004 11:15:47 AM)
Thanks Jim and Jay for your all kind and useful info...

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:16:10 AM)
As to the Ross name. To my view, it is evidence of our new focus on action-based learning and co-creation that someone of the reputation of Mr. Ross saw fit to "invest" such a generous amount in our mission. As Jim noted, we are very clear about the type of program we offer and the direction and experience that a student here at Ross will have. For Steve Ross to edify that direction can only be a positive for us and for future students.

Boris Pilipenko (Nov 1, 2004 11:16:12 AM)
Thank you Mr. Hayes, Mr. Cotrone, Geoffrey and Jay! You have presented the best of Ross! Really hope to meet all of you in person.

raj (Nov 1, 2004 11:17:05 AM)
Hi all, I would like your inputs on the candidacy of someone who is going for his MBA after a MS (from a US university) with one year of full-time co-op experience in a technical company assuming full-time employee responsibilities.

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:17:42 AM)
Colormix, participation in the WVF is very competitive, but it is an incredible and unique experience for those who are chosen. We just had the thrill of participating in an IPO with one of our investments, so WVF is going to remain a successful centerpiece of our action-based learning focus here at the Ross School.

Boris Pilipenko (Nov 1, 2004 11:18:04 AM)
Thank you Linda for great questions! You managed/moderated us well!

Akshay (Nov 1, 2004 11:18:07 AM)
Thanks everyone, this was an informative chat session. Looking forward to being a part of the Ross community! :)

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 11:18:17 AM)
You're welcome. Boris.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 11:19:20 AM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Jim, Al, Geoffrey, and Jay.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 11:19:31 AM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats, and here is a list of the upcoming scheduled chats:

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 11:19:53 AM)
Chicago: Nov. 4 USC: Nov. 8 EU Chat with LBS, Insead, HEC, IMD, RSM, and more top EU schools.

AlCotroneRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:19:55 AM)
Raj, we have many students who had, in particular, Master's Degrees in Engineering, and it seems to mesh quite well with the MBA. From the perspective of the recruiters, it simply edifies the analytical skills that you possess.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 11:20:31 AM)
Please check the Web site (http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.aspx#mba ) for details and exact time, because we are varying our chat times this year to facilitate attendance from applicants in different time zones.

GeoffreyTowleRoss (Nov 1, 2004 11:21:10 AM)
Thanks for coming, everyone. Hopefully I'll be seeing many of you in the Spring at our Go Blue! Rendezvous for admitted students.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2004 11:23:43 AM)
Good luck with your applications!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room