2005 TUCK MBA Admissions Chat with Kristine Laca

2005 TUCK MBA Admissions Chat with Kristine Laca

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Chat Transcript:

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 10:07:18 AM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's Tuck's MBA Admissions Chat.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 10:07:42 AM)
I also want to welcome Kristine Laca, Director of MBA Admissions; Nahshon Davidai, Tuck student; Teruko Kuroda, Tuck Student; and MacAllistre Henry, Tuck Student.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 10:07:53 AM)
Nahshon, Teruko, and McAllistre, could you tell us a little about yourselves? What did you do before coming to Tuck? What did you do this past summer? What do you want to do after you graduate?

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 10:08:03 AM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:08:50 AM)
Hi everyone - Nahshon Davidai, second-year student, an attorney by profession, worked in business development of start-up companies before coming to Tuck, worked at Booz Allen this summer and will start at McKinsey fulltime in 8 months.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 10:08:50 AM)
Alli, what did you do before you started your MBA?

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:09:11 AM)
Hi, My name is Teruko, a first year Tuck student and I used to work in the Operations department of an Investment Bank. This past summer, I spent time "off" because I needed to make the trip from Japan to Hanover!

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:09:40 AM)
I worked first in investment banking in London, then in corporate law as a paralegal in New York and London. I am originally from SoCal, graduated from Stanford in '01.

shuhei (Dec 15, 2004 10:09:46 AM)
While I visited TUCK last year and attend some classes, do you believe that I should visit Hanover and have an interview for this year's application?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:10:12 AM)
Yes, if you can... We always understand that it may not be possible - but we encourage it.

Michael (Dec 15, 2004 10:10:16 AM)
To AlliHenry - What was your profession before Tuck and did that profession prepare you for the Tuck experience.

Ben Forrest (Dec 15, 2004 10:11:00 AM)
Nahson, I am currently with a start up, and I'm interested in switching to consulting. How did Tuck help you get set up with Booz Allen and then McKinsey?

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 10:11:06 AM)
Kristine, if you are looking at an application and the numbers and basic profile is in the ballpark for a Tuck student, what distinguishes an application that is accepted from one that is rejected?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:11:16 AM)
Well, as I said, I worked in I-banking and corporate law. They did prepare me well for Tuck because they were both team-based professions, and we work all the time in teams at Tuck. I also got used to very very long hours, and we work really hard here. (And have fun too!)

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 10:11:53 AM)
Nahshon, Teruko, and McAllistre, what do you like best at Tuck? What would you like to see improved?

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:12:59 AM)
Ben, to me from a legal background, it helped first in providing the basic managerial skills - Econ, strategy, capital markets, finance, stats, etc. The Tuck Consulting club helped greatly in prepping for case interviews, etc. Additionally, I got my summer job specifically through the alumni network - was in touch with a Tuck '03 graduate who had an opening and asked if I wanted to interview for it.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:13:07 AM)
Tuck has great professors; and our small size class enables us to engage with them. This is what I like best. What I think they can improve is the quality of food in the dining, I suppose... Tuck is a really great school and I am very impressed with the overall quality of the school.

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:13:27 AM)
I like the very personal feeling of the school. My professors know me, care about me, care if I am learning. My classmates (including my study group) want to help. Administrators want to make the school the best possible. I know lots of my classmates wives/husbands and kids. It's a true community. I feel like everyone is invested to make sure that I get the best education possible, and I appreciate that.

shuhei (Dec 15, 2004 10:13:33 AM)
How hard was your first term in TUCK?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:13:33 AM)
Linda, obviously, we look for academic strength, leadership, teamwork, involvement outside work, genuine interest in being a part of the Tuck community, along with interpersonal skills. Beyond that, it is always the ability for an applicant to convey who he or she it and what they are hoping to get out of an MBA experience.

OBunms (Dec 15, 2004 10:14:03 AM)
I was placed on the waiting list last year, but I did not make the first round of application; will that count against me as not being interested enough?

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:14:22 AM)
Best thing for me, with a wife, a 3.5 years old, and another due in 5 days, the strong sense of community is key - personally, with great friends and a family-oriented community, and professionally as well - cross-pollination with classmates, access to faculty, etc.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:14:30 AM)
Sorry about the wait list last year, but it will not count against you - if anything, it is a positive because we already know a lot about you.

Tom (Dec 15, 2004 10:15:36 AM)
Students: I want to get into private equity, but do not have any PE experience. Are there programs at Tuck that will help me gain this experience so that I can get a PE internship in the summer? What about in the areas of M&A and Consulting?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:15:46 AM)
Academically, although I have seen lots of this material before, I was an econ major in college, I think it was very challenging. We move at a very accelerated pace, so you need to absorb material quickly. There's plenty of resources to make sure that things are not over your head--we can get tutoring from second-year's anytime, some classes have daily review sessions, and prof's doors are almost always open. Tuck is academically challenging in a good way...you wouldn't want to be bored, would you? Remember, you're paying for your education!

Guest (Dec 15, 2004 10:15:48 AM)
Kristine: Does Tuck take the same number of students in the third round or does it drop off?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:16:34 AM)
You will definitely be challenged and stretched - but in a collaborative and supportive setting. That part is very comforting.

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:16:56 AM)
Tom--as for finance connections, we have fabulous alums in the PE/hedge fund world. Tuck has a very strong presence on Wall Street as well. I would say that this year, there may be more opportunities in banking than there are Tuck students interested. We also have an investment club, which is focused on buy-side jobs (and we learn/discuss valuation and capital markets often), Finance Club, which organizes recruiting trips to Wall Street and speakers, and Tuck also has a Center for Private Equity which is a fabulous resource for students looking to break into private equity.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:16:59 AM)
Tuck's second year tutoring are great. I myself am getting help with some of the unfamiliar topics but they are very helpful and committed to teaching you. It is great.

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:17:10 AM)
Tom - I can give my example wanting to do consulting but without any background in it. Tuck provides the skills, resources, and on top of that, the connections and brand name recognition to do a lot of different things. I think that PE without PE experience is slightly harder, but as Alli said - the presence is tremendous.

Alex (Dec 15, 2004 10:17:40 AM)
Kristine: I have a question regarding the Consortium. How soon do consortium applicants hear about admission to TUCK, if they applied for early admission on Dec. 1?

Bob (Dec 15, 2004 10:18:10 AM)
To Nahshon, Teruko, and McAllistre - Do you know of any student at Tuck that has come straight from college? To Kristine - Does Tuck consider graduating undergrads in their admissions process?

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:18:36 AM)
I don't think any of my classmates came straight from undergrad.

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:18:55 AM)
We have a few MD/MBA's in my class, one of which did not have previous full-time work experience.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:18:59 AM)
All Consortium applicants are either rolled into the Tuck December or January round. So the decision date for the December round is no later than 2/15 and for the January round, the decision is no later than 3/31.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:19:21 AM)
I don't think any came straight out of undergrad in the class of 2006 either.

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:19:25 AM)
I was an '01 grad, and I am one of the youngest in the class. Sometimes I feel that I came too early; I think there is definitely wisdom to be gained from waiting.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:19:30 AM)
We will consider applicants directly from undergraduate with special circumstances, like the MD/MBA program.

chris (Dec 15, 2004 10:19:50 AM)
I've noticed that US News emphasizes the "general management" emphasis at Tuck. How much are students allowed to tailor their curriculum? Also, what proportion of potential employers that recruit at Tuck come from the West Coast?

Aaron Gjerde (Dec 15, 2004 10:20:12 AM)
Nahshon - did you live off campus first year since you have a family? How has that been? Did you find it difficult to make late night study sessions or have a hard time balancing family and study?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:20:14 AM)
Chris, the second year is 100% flexible - it really is the best of both worlds. Quite a few people go to the west coast - visit www.tuckjobs.com for more exact stats.

Ben Forrest (Dec 15, 2004 10:20:45 AM)
Students: Some of my best experiences from college came as I worked as a teaching assistant. I know the faculty at Tuck is fantastic. What types of opportunities are there to work with professors? Is there time to do so?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:21:16 AM)
Chris--I am from CA, Los Angeles originally. As for West Coast recruitment, it is definitely not a focus at Tuck. That said, Tuck has an amazing alumni network and there have already been a few trips out to CA (Biotech, Tech, Healthcare) and there will be another over Spring Break. Many of my classmates are from the West Coast and intend to return.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:21:34 AM)
Aaron, I don't have a family but I live off-campus.

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:21:59 AM)
Chris--Only about 30% of Tuckies get jobs thru on-campus stuff, but our network really helps streamline off-campus recruiting efforts.

VP242 (Dec 15, 2004 10:22:08 AM)
Kristine: Hi, I am wondering about volunteer work. In college, I routinely did volunteer work. Since then, I have not done too much other than help out at soup kitchens a few holiday seasons. Does commitment or lack of make a major difference in an application?

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:22:15 AM)
Aaron - I did live off-campus, in the married students' housing called Sachem Village. It is by no means luxurious, but feels like a village - very strong community, lots of kids, tons of support for the entire family. While the first term is tough, I made a habit of going home for 2-3 hours every night to have dinner with my family, then studied later than most. Study group was totally fine with it. It's all about balancing what's more important with other, less important things.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:22:46 AM)
There are so many people who are now interested in "non-traditional" job opportunities and there are so many contacts and alums to help you with that as well.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:22:47 AM)
Aaron- to add to Nahshon's point: the best thing is to vote for the sachem housing. However, there are a lot of housing available so, you don't really have to worry about finding a place here.

Alejandro (Dec 15, 2004 10:22:48 AM)
I have a question for the Tuck students: could you comment a little bit on some of Tuck’s most popular and most unique student clubs?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:23:03 AM)
Ben--I know of a few students that are doing special research projects, in some cases paid consulting gigs, with professors. I have found that professors WANT to interact with students, so there would not be any shortage of opportunities here if you take initiative.

jw (Dec 15, 2004 10:23:55 AM)
Kristine - Would you be willing to comment on the quality and quantity of apps and admits thus far?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:24:06 AM)
Having a life outside work is important; it is all about priorities and what is important to you.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:24:08 AM)
Alejandro - By far the most popular club is the Ice Hockey Club. I think 90% of the students play here. The most unique - I suppose is the partner club? All partners are involved and they are a very busy club.

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:24:20 AM)
Chris--as for tailoring your curriculum, pretty much all of second year is electives. So you go through Tuck's general management core in your first year, and then tailor the second year. The sky is the limit.

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:24:39 AM)
Alejandro - the most popular club will probably be investment and consulting, because of the great interest in them. But the cool thing about Tuck is that you can make of it what you want - a classmate of mine started the sustainability club. Others are heavily involved in non-profit, or marketing, or general management, or diversity. And if there's something that's not organized here - you can start the initiative and run with it.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 10:24:44 AM)
Teruko, Nahshon, and Alli, what are your favorite classes, professors?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:25:28 AM)
Alejandro--we have a few unique clubs-- a flying club for pilots, a newly-founded automotive club, and also new this year, the John Barleycorn society, a beer appreciation club.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:25:29 AM)
The quality has been stronger than last year. I am also happy to see more women in the pool this year. We are actually trending ahead of last year in terms of application numbers, but that won't mean anything until the January round (our largest round).

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 10:26:04 AM)
Kristine, is the volume up, down, or the same when compared to last year?

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:26:12 AM)
Linda, that's a tough one... While I liked a lot of my first-year classes, if I say "stats" will that make me a geek, the very flexible second-year curriculum is a lot of fun because you get to cherry pick what you're interested in. For me, negotiations was a really great class. Strategy was great too.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:26:25 AM)
There is also a cricket club!

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:26:34 AM)
Believe it or not, my favorite class yet has been statistics. I am a "fuzzy" type, so I never thought I'd say it. But we have some amazing professors that really bring subjects to life, tie them to the business world, and help you understand how you'd apply concepts as a manager. It's pretty amazing.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:26:38 AM)
Linda - I haven't taken that many classes yet, but I enjoyed my accounting course with Professor Stocken and my finance course with Professor Wolmack. They were both great professors.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:26:50 AM)
We are ahead of last year in terms of numbers.

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:26:51 AM)
Alli - that makes 2 of us...

Michael (Dec 15, 2004 10:27:00 AM)
For the current students - what is the most exciting aspect of life at Tuck?

Alejandro (Dec 15, 2004 10:27:27 AM)
Kristine, I was wondering, how does the career service center manage the challenge that recruiters may find difficulties coming to Tuck due to its relatively remote location?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:28:11 AM)
Tuck is not THAT remote. We are two and a half hours outside of Boston and four hours from NYC. We have active recruiting relationships with over 550 companies - so there are lots of opportunities to connect on-campus as well as off campus. It really isn't a problem

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 10:28:21 AM)
And it's a beautiful drive!

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:28:29 AM)
As for classes, so far we have had Analysis for General Managers (case-based general mgmt), decision science (excel modeling), accounting, and organization behavior in Fall A. For Fall B, our second term, we have Capital Markets, Microeconomics for Managers, Stats and Management Communication. I haven't had a class I didn't enjoy yet, although some are much more challenging than others, based on one's background.

Brijesh1 (Dec 15, 2004 10:28:52 AM)
Kristine, is it possible to elaborate a little more on academic strength - How is it measured and what linkage does it have to one's ability to succeed in business?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:28:58 AM)
Recruiters actually like coming here. If you work at an I-bank in NYC, a day out in the fall color at Tuck is a vacation!

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:29:29 AM)
Michael - the most exciting aspect of life at Tuck is your fellow classmates. Alli has already mentioned it earlier so I would not elaborate on it, but Tuck has a very unique environment where you feel "involved" and special.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:29:58 AM)
For academic strength, we look at many things: undergraduate record, GMAT, comments about your intellectual curiosity from recommenders, etc.

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:30:12 AM)
Michael, I second that - coming from outside the US, I was astounded by the quality of people, not just from a business perspective but from every other aspect of life.

Michael (Dec 15, 2004 10:30:25 AM)
To Kristine - What is the ratio of engineering applicants to accepted engineering students?

ALJ (Dec 15, 2004 10:30:27 AM)
Alli, can you explain why you went from banking to corporate law and now are pursuing your MBA?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:30:37 AM)
Michael--the most exciting aspect of life at Tuck is having so many fabulous things to do with such amazing classmates. We have clubs, opportunities to volunteer, outdoorsy activities...it's just hard to decide how to spend your free time, there are so many awesome options.

Aaron Gjerde (Dec 15, 2004 10:30:43 AM)
To the current Tuck students - have you contacted anyone from the alumni network as a part of your class work? Did you find them helpful? I have heard nothing but incredible stories of helpful alums and am very impressed by them.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:30:48 AM)
We have about 25% engineers in each class but we also have a number of humanities majors and scientists - Lots of diversity.

OBunms (Dec 15, 2004 10:31:39 AM)
What is the effect of stating that you would like to work in a different industry, have on your application?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:31:49 AM)
ALJ--I was considering a JD/MBA, but knew I wanted the MBA for sure, while the JD was just for the academic challenge. I turned down Kellogg and Northwestern to come to Tuck, and I don't regret it for a second. I really enjoy deal-based, client-focused environments. I think consulting might be in my future....

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:32:07 AM)
Obunms, no effect at all - just think about what you want to do and help connect the dots for us...

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:32:12 AM)
Aaron - Tuck's alumni network is great. I have never contacted them as a part of my "class-work" but I have asked them numerous questions regarding recruitment. All were ready to raise their hand to help.

Rachel (Dec 15, 2004 10:32:20 AM)
Can you please talk about how schools use the AWA score of an applicant's GMAT? I have read and heard that this number is not given nearly the same weight as the verbal and quantitative scores and percentile rankings. Would an otherwise solid GMAT performance be pulled down by a week AWA?

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:32:23 AM)
Aaron, I've contacted a ton of alumni during the past year and a half. Those who did not reply, or weren't EXTREMELY receptive and willing to help, can be counted on much less than one hand.

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:32:53 AM)
OBunms--I think that 75% of my class are self-admitted career-changers. It's very common, but you need to help the adcom understand how that fits into "your story."

Michael (Dec 15, 2004 10:33:14 AM)
Is the lack of an onsite interview looked upon negatively by the admission committee?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:33:16 AM)
It depends if you are a native English speaker. All weighting in an application is relative. For example, if you were a history major who took no quant courses in undergrad, the quant part of the GMAT is much more important than it would be for an engineer. There are no formulas...

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 10:33:43 AM)
FUP question: Kristine and students, how important do you think it is for applicants to visit Hanover and Tuck?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:33:58 AM)
Aaron--I have contacted alums. They are incredibly helpful. I have learned not to contact them if I am not ready for an immediate response. They are almost too responsive sometimes...Tuck love stays with them, and they want to help us find our dream jobs and break into our target industries. It's GREAT!

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:34:03 AM)
I have people in my class who are career switchers from the summer. During your MBA, it is a great time to reflect on what you really want to do in life, and the opportunities are limitless.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:34:50 AM)
Michael -- There were many Japanese students who didn't come on-campus but got into Tuck. I don't think that you must take an interview on campus but it is often helpful for you to find out more about Tuck, to come and visit the school.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:35:03 AM)
I think it is important for students to visit as many programs as possible - each one will offer different opportunities and experiences.

jw (Dec 15, 2004 10:35:12 AM)
What lands someone on the waitlist as opposed to getting admitted... and what gets someone on the waitlist as opposed to getting rejected?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:35:40 AM)
As for visiting--I think it is crucial. You can't truly understand how unique and community-based Tuck is unless you come here. I wasn't sure if Tuck was for me before I came, and I left my visit and interview knowing that I didn't want to be anywhere else. It's that powerful. I came all the way from London. It was worth the time, effort and money to experience Tuck first-hand. I think you should visit every school you apply to...view-books and catalogues can't fully express the personality of the school. You are going to spend $120,000. Another $500 for the ticket is money well spent for a 2-year commitment!

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:35:44 AM)
You will write a better application if you visit first.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:36:13 AM)
I would like to add to Alli. My campus visit "sealed" the deal for me, too.

Aaron Gjerde (Dec 15, 2004 10:36:38 AM)
Students: Does the hockey club only play other Tuck teams? Or are there teams from town or other Dartmouth groups?

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:36:45 AM)
Same here. I came from Israel, visited 4 schools, and knew Tuck is the place for me.

Liz (Dec 15, 2004 10:36:47 AM)
Are any of the students in the chat involved with the Nonprofit Club? If so, how active is the club on campus? Are there social outreach programs to help the bridge gap between the nonprofit and the for profit sectors and raise awareness of the benefits of community relations?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:36:51 AM)
We should add that Teruko is our first Japanese student to bring a dog from Japan to campus.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:37:54 AM)
For anyone who is interested in non-profit, please see the Allwin Initiative on the Tuck website.

TuckieHopeful (Dec 15, 2004 10:38:26 AM)
Kristine, for applicants, how important is diversity of professional experience? What if you have worked in the same industry (finance) for 5 years (with increasing responsibility of course)? Is it viewed as a negative that you are narrow in your experience?

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:38:51 AM)
Liz - the Allwin Initiative is the best place to start. It is run by second-year students along with people from various corporations and is extremely active not only with the corporate world but also with the Dartmouth non-profit initiatives. Aside from that, there's a non-profit club that has numerous activities year-round.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 10:38:56 AM)
Kristine, there was also a question above about how do you decide between your accepted list and wait list.

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:38:59 AM)
Hi Liz! Great to hear from you! The non-profit club is not as high profile as say, the Finance Club, and that's just a numbers thing. However, the Allwin initiative, the umbrella organization under which the NP Club falls, is very active and very visible. There are all sorts of volunteer opportunities and ways to do non-profit stuff at Tuck. For instance, I am a liaison to a local land conservancy through the non-profit club.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:39:10 AM)
Yes, we always like to see increasing recognition and experience, but there are some people who find great opportunities and take other jobs - we understand that. We purposefully want to fill the class with people of diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives - it makes for a wonderful learning environment.

Alejandro (Dec 15, 2004 10:39:36 AM)
Do you have any figures on the amount of students who start their own businesses after graduating from Tuck?

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:40:03 AM)
Since Kristine brought it up -- another strong reason why I came to Tuck is because of Tuck's "dog-policy". Tuck creates a very special environment where all partners and children, even dogs are invited to all events at Tuck. Tuck's community is very powerful.

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:40:56 AM)
Alejandro--from alumni panels, I have gathered than many folks do start businesses after Tuck, but generally not immediately after Tuck. Many get experience for a few years and then take the leap. They say they are better for it.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:41:21 AM)
We often use the waitlist as a way to learn a little bit more about an applicant that seems very strong. It can also allow for extra time to take a class or re-take the GMAT...

Rob (Dec 15, 2004 10:41:38 AM)
Kristine: Can you give us an idea of the number of first-round applicants who have been interviewed already in relation to the total number of interviews you expect to do by the notification deadline in Feb? Also, will you be doing interviews right up to the deadline?

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:41:49 AM)
TuckieHopeful -- I worked at an investment bank for 5 years but got in! I think the longer experience gives you a deeper understanding of one subject so nothing is perceived negative!

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:42:24 AM)
Alejandro--I wouldn't say we are an entrepreneurship-centric school. We are more "professional". But there are lots of opportunities to be entrepreneurial. Private wealth management is a good example. Goldman or Morgan Stanley will lend you their name, but you have to build a book of clients yourself....

OBunms (Dec 15, 2004 10:42:52 AM)
Kristine: Do you apply any sort of quota or rationing system to maintain the diversity of Tuck - i.e. undergrad degree, continent, industry etc.?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:43:18 AM)
Yes, we interview up to the committee discussions. We realize that everyone cannot come to Hanover, so the admissions committee may request an interview as well. Ideally, we love to see students visit Hanover, meet students, interview and attend classes.

Michelle Ngo (Dec 15, 2004 10:43:27 AM)
Hi Kristine: Would the admissions committee take into account the initiative to take classes prior to matriculation into consideration to balance of a weaker GMAT score?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:44:02 AM)
OBunms--I can't speak for Christine, but our class is very, very diverse--helicopter ski guides, Associated Press photographers, bankers, engineers, White House employees...there are some really accomplished people. And tons of international diversity.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:44:16 AM)
Oh my, quota is always a bad word in admissions...No, we have no quotas for anything.

Omega (Dec 15, 2004 10:44:28 AM)
Kristine, how does Tuck regard reapplicants?

Michelle Ngo (Dec 15, 2004 10:44:56 AM)
Yes! I agree that visiting the campus is critical. I recently attended Tuck's Diversity Weekend and I left knowing that Tuck is where I want to go!

jw (Dec 15, 2004 10:45:25 AM)
I have heard from current students that the Buchanan dorm pales in comparison to the new dorms. Also, that several students who request on-campus are not offered a dorm room. How soon does Tuck plan to resolve these two issues?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:45:38 AM)
Yes, we love to see initiative around signing up for classes - especially stats, financial accounting and micro-econ (notice, I did NOT say calculus). Those are classes you will need before you enter Tuck.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 10:46:12 AM)
This is the first time, I have not seen calculus. Why?

stevo4 (Dec 15, 2004 10:46:21 AM)
Kristine: are reapplicants from last year who were offered feedback & "encouragement," who've worked with the admissions officer since then to improve their profile, reviewed any differently than other applications?

Aaron Gjerde (Dec 15, 2004 10:47:00 AM)
To follow up on AlliHenry's response about Goldman and Morgan Stanley - besides the big names, are there any smaller VC or Private Equity groups that recruit at Tuck?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:47:13 AM)
If a reapplicant has asked for feedback and has strengthened his or her application, their rate of admissions is almost double that of the first time applicant. We love reapplicants - it shows your interest in Tuck.

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:47:16 AM)
JW--Buchanan is not as nice as Whittemore, simply because Whit was built 3 years ago, while Buch is, let's say, older. Buch is going to be replaced in the next few years. As for kids that did not get housing, it was less than 10, and all of them ended up with AMAZING off-campus places--a neat old farmhouse, a great girls house in town, and a few folks in apartments.

Brent Carlson (Dec 15, 2004 10:47:32 AM)
To current students particularly those with partners or spouses, I have read a lot about the tightly knit community at Tuck and Teruko just mentioned that partners are invited to all events at Tuck. Are there other ways that the Tuck community and experience involves partners and spouses of Tuck students, since it is important to me that my two years at Tuck is a great experience for my wife as well. Could you please provide some insight?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:47:54 AM)
There is no one in the first year class who wanted on-campus housing that was not offered a space.

evs (Dec 15, 2004 10:48:41 AM)
Kristine - I understand that there was 40 acceptances last year who are carrying forward to the class of 2007. How will this impact our chances to gain admittance this year?

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:48:44 AM)
Aaron, some smaller PE and VCs do recruit at Tuck. Also with the strong Tuck network, and a great presence at smaller firms, you have great access to them. The question is are these firms recruiting at all...

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:48:56 AM)
Aaron--there are definitely specialized hedge funds and PE firms that recruit here, but just a handful. Many more of these firms request resumes and don't come to campus. I know a handful of second-years that have already landed PE/HF jobs. On-campus recruiting tends, but is not always, larger corporations. Again, our alumni presence means that this world is open to you, but these firms may not seek you out on campus.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:48:56 AM)
No Steve4, the review process is the same for reapplicants except that each reader has your application from the past year. We have two independent (blind) reads in our evaluation process.

Ben Forrest (Dec 15, 2004 10:49:20 AM)
Kristine- A known economist/member of my company's board of directors offered to write a letter of recommendation for me. I've met with him a few times to discuss my goals, he has seen my work, and given me career advice. Would you rather see a letter from him or from a coworker who I know on a more personal (day to day) basis? Or would either be ok?

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:50:27 AM)
jw - The partners seem to be enjoying their lives here. The partners club is very aggressive and they make sure that there is things that everyone can participate in. They distribute a calendar to remind them of Tuck events as well as partner events (including birthdays of other partners). I really wish I were a Tuck partner, myself!

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:50:33 AM)
Unless you apply, you will never have a chance of being admitted. The reality is that we have deferrals every year. This past year was only slightly larger than past year's rates.

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:50:52 AM)
Brent--partners are definitely well integrated. I see them in the gym at school, in our dining hall for "dates", at events like TuckTails. The Partners hang out all the time--they have book clubs, cooking clubs, volunteer clubs, doggy play group....There is a big joke that all of us single gals would like nothing better than to find a dude and convince him to come to Tuck in a few years so that we could experience life at Tuck for a second time, as partners.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:51:07 AM)
Admissions always depends on the strength of the pool.

Liz (Dec 15, 2004 10:52:01 AM)
Kristine, are applications reviewed as they are submitted or are they held until the day after they are due? Is there any benefit to submitting now versus January 17?

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:52:03 AM)
To add to Alli's - not just partners, but entire families. Almost every event involved the kids as well, for example last week's Christmas party. And dogs too...

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:52:24 AM)
We would rather see a recommendation from someone who has worked with you and who can specifically answer the questions we pose. You can always send supplemental letters of support if you feel that a recommender may not be able to answer all the questions.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:52:24 AM)
Yes, you'll see my dog a lot around school....

Guest (Dec 15, 2004 10:52:26 AM)
What kind of post-undergraduate, non-work-related 'experience' appears valuable for admission to Tuck? What kind of volunteer/community activities/leadership roles does the adcom find valuable?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:53:19 AM)
We would love to see your application as soon as you feel it is ready to send out. It helps us a lot to have the applications before the due dates!

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:54:24 AM)
Coming to Hanover--I wanted to allay any concerns that any of you city-dwellers have regarding coming to Hanover. Although there are fewer bars and limited shopping, Hanover is amazing. There are some great restaurants in the Upper Valley, amazing outdoors opportunities, and the Tuck community is so all-encompassing, that you won't have time to miss city life. I was very concerned that Tuck might be too-rural, but it's simply not the case.

Boston1 (Dec 15, 2004 10:54:43 AM)
Tuck prides itself on teamwork, and you have a very diverse pool of admitted students (e.g., the history major you mentioned). Besides learning about great life experiences from non-business-background fellow students, and learning how to deal with different types of people, how do business-background students further benefit from this diverse team environment?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:56:00 AM)
Keep in mind that life at Tuck does not end after class is over; you have so much time to interact and learn from the tremendous people at Tuck - students, partners, faculty members, administrators...

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:56:08 AM)
Boston1--Learning to work in teams is paramount. I have personally watched some of my quieter classmates blossom as they explain things to others in study group, speak in class, or give presentations in class. I also think that it solidifies learning to explain things to others.

TuckieHopeful (Dec 15, 2004 10:56:18 AM)
How valued are extra-curriculars? Teruko, as a banker for 5 years, did you have any activities outside of work?

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:56:36 AM)
Boston 1 - Everybody at Tuck will benefit from our team learning environment. There is a photojournalist in my study group and he was very worried at first that he cannot contribute to our study group. However, he makes very relevant comments when we are discussing cases and his insights to problems are very helpful to the all of us. It gives us a broader understanding and perspectives to issues. It is great

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:56:37 AM)
Boston1 - "business-background" in itself can be a diverse group of people - ex-consultant learning from the I-banker, from the entrepreneur, etc. As for non-business backgrounds, in my opinion the "fresh set of eyes" advantage is applicable here as well. I have some school teachers from my class who have amazing insights that "business-trained" people might not have because of biases, etc.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:56:57 AM)
Extra curriculars are important because having balance in your life is important.

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:57:23 AM)
One of the most "a-ha" classes for my classmates is organizational behavior. A lot of the driven, nose-to-the-grindstone classmates had to think about things that come up in the course of interacting with others--political struggles, or power and gender dynamics. It was a real eye-opener for some of my most "experienced" classmates....

Aaron Gjerde (Dec 15, 2004 10:57:57 AM)
Are there any other events on the east coast where prospective students can meet and chat with current students, admissions team members, and alumni in person? I was not able to attend the Diversity Conference, but would love a similar chance to meet more Tuckies and learn more about Tuck.

dianying (Dec 15, 2004 10:58:38 AM)
Kristine- can you clarify the calculus comment? I mentioned on my application that I would take a calculus course prior to fall of '05 due to not taking calculus in undergrad and to account for a weaker GMAT quant score.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:58:38 AM)
TuckieHopeful -- Well, I really wasn't a banker. I worked in the Operations department so I wasn't as busy as a banker. However, I was involved in a lot of extracurricular events, partly because I wanted to balance my life and largely because I liked to be involved.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 10:59:11 AM)
We have a number of events around the world and throughout the US in the fall that give prospective students the opportunity to meet alums and occasionally students. A students #1 priority has to be school, so it is difficult unless you come to campus.

Michael (Dec 15, 2004 10:59:40 AM)
Kristine: The application documents include a resume and a work history list. Are you looking for something different in the layout/information of the work history list as opposed to the resume?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:00:42 AM)
Dianying--I can say honestly that we do not use calculus often, and when we do, professors say things like "Trust me, if you did the proof, you'd get this answer." However, Tuck is very, very quantitative in Fall B, and you will be at a disadvantage if math is hard for you. I know--math is hard for me, and I watch my quant-gifted classmates breeze through things that are not immediately intuitive to me! So there is a rationale to proving to the adcom that you can do math. You'll need it.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:01:02 AM)
Personally, I know it is in vogue for some schools to require calculus, but the reality is that there are better way to spend your time. A class like accounting will prepare you better for the Tuck accounting class that assumes you already have some basic accounting background. I just think there are better ways to enhance your quantitative skills than calculus.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:02:21 AM)
...and I LOVED calculus when I took it.

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:02:28 AM)
I have no quants in my background. And while I did find the classes to be difficult, I don't think math is necessarily the skill required to excel in them - as Kristine said, business-related skills courses (accounting definitely comes to mind...) are much more useful. I went through everything Tuck sends during the summer to make sure I am comfortable with what's required before first-year starts, especially basic Excel skills.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:02:47 AM)
and stats and micro-econ.

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:02:52 AM)
I agree. When I get asked by prospective students--if I could take one class, calculus, accounting or economics, which should it be. I tell them accounting. We use it all the time--in Stats, DecSci, Econ...it comes up everywhere.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:03:27 AM)
I'm not a quants person myself. However, I did wish I took more stats and econ courses before I arrived. I will also add Excel to that. I also went through the pre-matriculation kit that Tuck provided me with over the summer. It did help me a lot.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:03:34 AM)
Nahshon, Teruko, and McAllistre, what do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:03:42 AM)
The work history asks some specific questions about responsibility, salary progression, reasons for leaving...

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:05:27 AM)
Honestly, from a non-academic perspective, I wish that I had taken more time to rest before starting Tuck. My job was exhausting--I was working in fixed income and the market was crazy all summer. Tuck was really, really demanding from the get-go, so I wish that I had taken some more time to be energized to start school.

Alejandro (Dec 15, 2004 11:05:57 AM)
Kristine, any advice for the people on the waitlist?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:05:57 AM)
Tuck does a good job in helping your prepare, but you need to be committed to prepare - the school year starts quickly and there is no time to brush up on classes after they begin.

evs (Dec 15, 2004 11:06:12 AM)
Could you describe any healthcare focus at Tuck?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:06:33 AM)
From an academic perspective, I brushed up on Excel and did some (not all) of the materials that Tuck suggested we study. I also reviewed some of the econ and accounting material that I took in undergrad. I wish that I had forced myself to be an accounting rock star over the summer. That would have been more helpful.

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:06:35 AM)
To add to Alli's point - I wish I'd moved into Hanover earlier... summers here are great.

Geri (Dec 15, 2004 11:07:01 AM)
For the students, do you feel that Tuck is a good place for someone who wants to focus on finance?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:07:04 AM)
Try not to be too stressed about it... Talk to Stacey. She is an admissions committee member and will give you great advice. Her husband was admitted to Tuck from the waitlist, so you will find a very empathetic ear.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:07:45 AM)
Moving to Hanover earlier defiantly helped in this regard. As I lived off-campus and had to move from Japan, coming in early did help me to prepare. Tuck's academic program pushes you and you really have no time to set-up if you come here too late.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:07:49 AM)
Kristine, one visitor has asked whether s/he should apply through the Consortium or directly to Tuck; what do you advise?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:08:17 AM)
EVS--Tuck has a biotech and healthcare club. They have events and speakers all the time from Boston-based firms, and head to Silicon Valley a few times per year to network for biotech jobs on the West Coast as well. It's active. I am not sure about curricular electives related to healthcare, but Tuck's course offerings are listed on the web.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:08:26 AM)
We have so many students who pursue careers in finance - Tuck is great for that type of career as well. Check out www.tuckjobs.com for more detailed stats.

Roy (Dec 15, 2004 11:08:32 AM)
Outside of my direct supervisor, who would be my best second recommender?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:08:52 AM)
The person who knows you well and can answer the questions we pose.

ALJ (Dec 15, 2004 11:08:57 AM)
Students: Did any of you attend Math Camp and can any of you comment on how helpful or unhelpful it was?

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:09:46 AM)
I did not. Some classmates who attended found it very useful.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:10:07 AM)
I didn't go to math camp, but a number of my classmates who attended thought it to be very useful. I wished I attended as well, as I was already in Hanover during that time.

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:10:13 AM)
Math Camp--amazing. I learned lots. I had seen much of the content before (time value of money, basic stats, advanced excel, word problems), but learning to do these problems in Excel was very helpful. The class moved quickly, the professor was patient, and we had a variety of skill levels. It was a fabulous way to meet a large chunk of the class early (about 25% of the class attended), to settle into the dorms early, and to enjoy summer in Hanover.

DM (Dec 15, 2004 11:10:13 AM)
What is the typical acceptance rate for the round that ends on Jan 17th?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:10:33 AM)
The Consortium provides an excellent alumni network, so I would alwasy encourage interested students to consider the Consortium. There is no difference in how we evaluate the Tuck or Consortium application.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:11:09 AM)
For all of you, how is recruiting going this year? Are there more companies recruiting on campus this year? More interviews scheduled?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:11:27 AM)
Oh DM, we never comment on specific rounds...Our usual acceptance rate is 20% for the whole year.

Yadira (Dec 15, 2004 11:12:02 AM)
Hi Kristine. Does the admissions committee accept GMAT scores after the second round deadline?

AlliHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:12:06 AM)
From what I hear from alums and 2nd-years, recruiting is up. I know for certain that Wall Street recruiting is up substantially.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:13:03 AM)
You need to submit a GMAT score with your application. If you have a special circumstance, please contact me at kristine.laca@dartmouth.edu and we can set something up so that you can apply later.

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:13:04 AM)
Recruiting compared with last year is simply great. The economy is picking up, and at the same time Tuck students have a great reputation for being extremely prepared interns - much of that is due to the very fast beginning and intensive core-class training. For example, consulting companies loved the summers, came back, found the students prepared and made an extremely high number of offers.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:13:52 AM)
I think the number of people going to consulting increased in the past year as well. I went to the Consulting Trip in Boston in October and there were a lot of firms that wanted to meet with Tuck students! and there are numerous companies that come up to Tuck for an interview. McKinsey Japan even came to Hanover!

Alejandro (Dec 15, 2004 11:14:16 AM)
Kristine and Tuckies, if you would have to choose an attribute to define the Tuck community, what would it be?

ALJ (Dec 15, 2004 11:14:23 AM)
Hi Kristine, the percentage of women in the entering class for the past few years have decreased. Can you comment on this?

Amber Dawkins (Dec 15, 2004 11:15:03 AM)
Are there any firms from Canada who recruit at Tuck?

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:15:04 AM)
Alejandro - I would define the tuck community as my second family.

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:15:42 AM)
Amber, I don't know specifically of Canadian firms recruiting, but definitely of global companies recruiting for Canada locations as well

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:15:53 AM)
Oh, we just don't have enough time to do this topic justice. We have some societal issues that we need to address, (men and women) about why women feel that business school is not a viable option for them. Women should not have to feel that there needs to be a trade-off between family and career - we still have a way to go...

Alfonso (Dec 15, 2004 11:16:54 AM)
Happy Holidays! Hi Kristine, Linda, and current students! Can you tell me a little bit about the Hispanic community at Tuck?

RaffoBenavides (Dec 15, 2004 11:17:36 AM)
Kristine: My prior college use to give just an interval as a equivalence table for the local grading base. Due to that, I can not put a single value in the form; how should I handle this?

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:17:45 AM)
ALJ--the Tuck Women In Business Club is on the case. However, you have to realize that due to our smaller class size, a 5% decrease is something along the order of 10 or 12 people. That's probably a yield-based effect--Tuck can't twist people's arms to say yes, so if a few women trend one way or another, it can look like an effect that's larger than the reality.

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:17:46 AM)
ALJ - Our class profile says that there are only 25% female here at Tuck. However, I never think that I am overwhelmed.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:18:05 AM)
I am optimistic that more women are seeing business school as a logical option - many finding very fulfilling careers in traditional areas such as IB and marketing, but others are exploring non-profit and other interesting areas as well. This is an area for which I have a tremendous amount of passion and I hope we see more women at Tuck and other business schools as well!

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:18:49 AM)
Nahshon, Teruko, and McAllistre: When do students have the opportunity to interact with professors outside of class?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:19:03 AM)
Raffo: Just provide us with the scale and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:19:39 AM)
Alfonso--we have strong Hispanic, Iberian, Chicano and Latin communities. One of the first first-year parties of the year was a Mexican theme night. In all seriousness, there is a vibrant Hispanic community, and unlike some other schools, Tuck is very integrated, so you can have a strong community without being in any way isolated from the Tuck community as a whole.

Ivan-Mx (Dec 15, 2004 11:19:45 AM)
Kristine, I had a campus interview last October but it wasn't my best morning that day. Is there any chance that I can have a second interview?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:19:46 AM)
Sobre la comunidad hispana - hay mucha gente hispana y que habla espanyol.

Alejandro (Dec 15, 2004 11:20:22 AM)
Me alegro de oir eso Kristine!

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:20:22 AM)
Students can interact with professors anytime outside of class. They are happy to see students outside as well as inside the classroom. Some of my classmates went to consult our finance teacher to ask him if Finance was what he really wanted to pursue his career in.

ALJ (Dec 15, 2004 11:20:26 AM)
Thank you for your responses. One last question, I understand that if I am considering doing the joint degree with Kennedy, I can apply during my first year at Tuck. Is this correct?

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:20:34 AM)
Whenever they want - all it takes is initiative. You have to remember, though, that professors are extremely busy and not always around/available. For example, this summer I contacted two professors for advice and they were extremely helpful. Other students work with professors on independent studies, research opportunities, etc.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:20:37 AM)
Oh Ivan, I am sorry but we do not offer second interviews.

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:20:38 AM)
Ademas, hay bastante gringas que se aficionan con los latinos....

VP242 (Dec 15, 2004 11:20:53 AM)
How do you think Tuck rates in terms of international diversity?

swadeep (Dec 15, 2004 11:21:04 AM)
Hi Kristine. I am planning for the Fall 2006 MBA program and it would be of great help for me if I could get contact details of a few final year international students from your school, preferably from India.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:21:19 AM)
Yes, you can apply at the same time you apply to Kennedy or in your first year there.

JamesMW (Dec 15, 2004 11:21:29 AM)
Is there much a lot of recruiting for International Accounting or International Finance?

Alfonso (Dec 15, 2004 11:21:37 AM)
Lo mismo. Gracias Kristine.

dc (Dec 15, 2004 11:22:11 AM)
May I ask how strongly represented the African American community is at Tuck?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:22:18 AM)
We have an international student club page on the website that will link you to international students. If you cannot find it, please e-mail me.

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:22:53 AM)
Linda--As for interacting with profs, there are lots of ways. First, there are informal opportunities at events like Tucktails (a bi-weekly cocktail hour), alumni dinners, and in club situations (ie my accounting professor is an advisor for the investment club.) You can also drop by a professors' office if you have questions nearly any time, but always during their office hours. In addition, you can work on consulting or research projects with professors. And finally, this is Hanover--you often run into your professors on the street downtown.

mba1 (Dec 15, 2004 11:23:24 AM)
Someone, a past Tuckie, said that it was difficult to be admitted to tuck as a female unless you were a minority. Is this true?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:23:48 AM)
We have a number of African American students at Tuck - e-mail me and I would be happy to connect you with a few students to talk directly about the topic.

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:24:24 AM)
dc - my class has a very strong and active group of African-Americans. I personally would love to see a larger group in terms of numbers, which is one of the reasons Tuck places a great emphasis on initiatives such as the Diversity Conference.

RaffoBenavides (Dec 15, 2004 11:24:32 AM)
An informal meeting will take place here in Lima, which is hosted by Tuckies...

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:24:37 AM)
JamesMW -- I will answer for the international side of recruitment. I think that there are a lot of opportunities to work outside the US, too. For example, a number of Japanese companies come to the US to recruit for MBS's.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:24:38 AM)
Oh my, what a bad rumor. NO!! I love female applicants!

Ralph (Dec 15, 2004 11:24:56 AM)
I want to know the ratio of the marketing students....?

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:25:10 AM)
Kristine, are there any special considerations for re-applicants at Tuck? Should reapplicants obtain recommendations from different recommenders.

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:25:22 AM)
Mba1--I don't know specifics about admit rates--Kristine keeps that info secret--but I do host an awful lot of prospective students. Less females apply than males, so if anything, I would surmise that the odds are in our favor....

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:25:48 AM)
Ralph - do you mean the number of students specializing in marketing during their MBA studies?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:25:49 AM)
We have a group of Tuck students in Lima for their Field Study (consulting project). We have teams in 11 different countries.

Ralph (Dec 15, 2004 11:26:28 AM)
Yes, Nahshon.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:26:50 AM)
Reapplicants should seek feedback from Tuck as a starting point. We will only require one new recommendation.

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:27:27 AM)
There is no specialization per se - no set program for finance, or marketing, or anything else. The first-year curriculum is mostly set - core classes. The second-year is what you make out of it. Want to take marketing classes, by all means.

Robert H (Dec 15, 2004 11:27:30 AM)
Hello. I'm a few years out of school. I'm curious if recruiting activities are focused on the three-to-five-years-out crowd, or if there are companies also willing to recruit folks with more management experience.

harsha (Dec 15, 2004 11:27:33 AM)
I am 31 years age now. Planning to apply for the class of 2008. Will my age be a negative factor?

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:27:43 AM)
Ralph--There are an awful lot of people that are interested in marketing or brand management, and all of the big CPG firms recruit here--P&G, Colgate, Gillette, General Mills. In addition, there are specific marketing (non-brand management) opportunities and marketing rotations within general management positions. If anything, as opposed to say Kellogg, you are at an advantage here. Odds are that fewer of your classmates are competing for these jobs than at a marketing-focused school, so you have a better chance of scoring a blue-chip marketing gig.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:28:21 AM)
Age is never a negative! We have students in the first year class who range from 24 - 44!

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:28:35 AM)
harsha- I don't think age is a constraint in applying to Tuck. I think the oldest student in our class was 44, if I remember correctly.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:28:50 AM)
Nahshon, Teruko, and McAllistre, do you have any suggestions for students about to start at Tuck?

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:29:02 AM)
Robert - I don't think companies view more experience as a disadvantage. If the experience is relevant and applicable to the position, than  it probably separates you in terms of maturity, preparedness, etc.

Dooley (Dec 15, 2004 11:29:13 AM)
Kristine- What is the best way to go about scheduling an interview?

christopher (Dec 15, 2004 11:29:27 AM)
As far as GMAT scores are concerned, what was the lowest score of accepted students in the past?

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:29:40 AM)
Robert and Harsha--the oldest gentleman in our class is 44. He's in my study group and I can say that both in SG and in class, his insights are invaluable. The average age of our class is 28, but that's an average. And companies seem to look favorably on work experience as opposed to age. As I said before, at the tender age of 26, I often feel at a disadvantage compared to my more experienced classmates.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:30:05 AM)
Our interviews are scheduled on line at www.tuck.edu .

Aaron Gjerde (Dec 15, 2004 11:30:14 AM)
How popular is the international exchange program that Tucks offers? What is the typical length? Do you need to speak the local language?

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:30:25 AM)
My suggestions to students about to start at Tuck: Don't miss the Admitted Students Weekend held April 15-17. It's a great chance to meet your future classmates! I couldn't make it myself but would have loved to have come.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:30:44 AM)
The lowest GMAT last year was 570. The year before was 540. There is never a specific minimum; it depends on the pool and the applicants.

LizB (Dec 15, 2004 11:30:51 AM)
Kristine, the website states that the December round decision date is Feb. 15, 2005. Is Feb. 15, 2005 the date by which or on which applicants will receive a decision?

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:30:52 AM)
I second that - ASW is really the best way to get to know Tuck and make an informed decision.

OBunms (Dec 15, 2004 11:30:58 AM)
Thank you very Kristine and all the present students that facilitated this chat. It has been most valuable and informative.

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:31:03 AM)
Aaron--the exchange programs are for the second year students. I would say a handful of kids take up the offer. For some schools you have to speak the local language and for others, in say, London, and Australia, you should be good to go.

Alfonso (Dec 15, 2004 11:31:06 AM)
How could Tuck improve?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:32:04 AM)
Aaron: we have ten formal exchange programs, semesters abroad, but we also work with students to set up custom programs. We have a student at IVEY in Canada this semester, for example. ...and another in Korea.

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:32:50 AM)
For newly-accepted students--I second coming to ASW. Some of my closest friendships stem from there. Also, if you are in Europe, swing by Lake Constance for the Tuck Alpine Weekend. I would also, as previously mentioned, bone up on accounting and excel. Otherwise, relax and get ready for two amazing years.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:33:02 AM)
Kristine, when I visited Tuck I was extremely impressed when you told me about the flexibility professors have regarding scheduling and the degree of cooperation among professors. Is that still the case?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:33:10 AM)
Yes Liz, that is the "no later than" date. We try to tell people earlier if we can.

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:33:12 AM)
Alfonso - good one. I think that Tuck can improve in the areas in which it is currently working hard to improve, namely international exposure and diversity. Not to say that Tuck is not great at both at this stage, but you can always be better and that's what the school always strives to be.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:33:38 AM)
At the time, you said there actually isn't a typical week or formal class schedule. Could you or Alli, Nahshon, or Teruko comment?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:33:52 AM)
Improve - with better parking...

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:34:06 AM)
Linda - I think the professors at Tuck coordinate well. I especially felt that in Fall B, where I felt that my Stats, Econ, and Capital markets classes were all in sync.

Aaron Gjerde (Dec 15, 2004 11:34:28 AM)
Constance, as in Konstanz, Germany? When is that event?

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:34:39 AM)
How could Tuck improve--Slow it down. Class material goes by at warp speed sometimes. Honestly, we have an incredibly responsive administration and the professors have put tons of thought into our curriculum--it's hard to find a lot of problems here, because Tuck has tried awfully hard to learn from the past and streamline everything. Oh--one other improvement. Tuck's classrooms are often hot and cold. There--that's a perfect example of how streamlined this place is. I am complaining about minutiae.

Ken (Dec 15, 2004 11:34:58 AM)
Kristine, do supplemental recommendations from current Tuck students strengthen a candidate's application?

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:35:22 AM)
Yes Linda, the core is very integrated and each professor is able to integrate the student's background and what the student's are learning in other classes.

NahshonDavidaiTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:35:23 AM)
One example of flexibility - we have an Ethics second-year elective, taught by one professor but with a different guest professor every class. When the class turned out to be over-subscribed, the professor teaching it broke it to 2 sections and convinced all of his colleagues, effective immediately, to teach 2 classes each day instead of one.

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:35:28 AM)
For first-years, we generally have two 90 minute classes per day in the Fall. Winter is a bit more scattered, and second years have completely irregular class schedules.

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:35:57 AM)
The Tuck Alpine Weekend is in Lindau, on Bodensee, and is for admitted students only. Please check the admitted students web-board for more info.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:35:58 AM)
That's dedication.

dc (Dec 15, 2004 11:36:08 AM)
Thanks to you all again, you have been very helpful. Last question, I am a May 2005 graduate of Finance & Entrepreneurship. Am I at a disadvantage in applying straight to Tuck now, versus if I worked for 3-5 years?

Rob (Dec 15, 2004 11:36:49 AM)
Kristine: do you know what percentage of admitted students in recent years hadn't visited campus prior to submitting their application?

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:36:53 AM)
To add to Alli - first year students have classes Mon-Fri from 8:30 - 12:00. However, from our winter semester, we will have Fridays off. I can't wait for that.

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:37:30 AM)
I think supplemental letters of recommendation are not necessary, but if you know someone who would like to support your candidacy, I always welcome that input. At the end of the day, you do not need to know someone at Tuck to be admitted to Tuck.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:37:50 AM)
Then on average Ally, you're comfortable. (My husband's an actuary :-) )

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:38:13 AM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Kristine, Nahshon, Teruko, and McAllistre.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:38:24 AM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats, and here is a list of the upcoming scheduled chats:

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:38:39 AM)
Chicago GSB: Jan. 4 UNC : Jan 10

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:38:48 AM)
Please check the Web site ( http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.aspx#mba ) for details and exact time, because we are varying our chat times this year to facilitate attendance from applicants in different time zones.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:38:58 AM)
Good luck with your applications!

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:39:01 AM)
You will probably be a stronger applicant with a bit more experience unless you already had some business experiences while in school.

Alfonso (Dec 15, 2004 11:39:21 AM)
Thank you to all.

Aaron Gjerde (Dec 15, 2004 11:39:23 AM)
Thank you for all of your time and helpful insight!

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:39:24 AM)
DC--I really, really encourage you to work before school. I am on the youngest end of our class, and I definitely see a clarity of purpose in my classmates that I lack. I don't think coming 3 years out was a mistake, but be aware that you will be at a terrible disadvantage for recruiting and will have far less to add in class. Your chance of acceptance, statistically, are very slim. Business school will still be here in a few years. Go out and experience business before you come here. It's not time wasted.

RaffoBenavides (Dec 15, 2004 11:39:36 AM)
Thank you to all.

TuckieHopeful (Dec 15, 2004 11:40:07 AM)
Thank you to all.

EvanKoch (Dec 15, 2004 11:40:17 AM)
Thanks, gang!

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:40:22 AM)
You're most welcome.

dc (Dec 15, 2004 11:40:24 AM)
Thanks a bunch!

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:40:32 AM)
Good luck to all. And come visit! We'd love to show you how much we love Tuck!

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:40:46 AM)
I don't know the exact number, but probably 20% of the people who attend Admitted Student's Weekend have not visited before admission - but I think it is safe to say that they wish they had - it would have made for an easier decision.

Linda Abraham (Dec 15, 2004 11:40:56 AM)
You've done a great job virtually. :-)

KristineLacaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:41:06 AM)
Best of luck to all and thanks for your interests in Tuck!

MacAllistreHenryTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:41:11 AM)
Email any more questions to macallistre.j.henry@dartmouth.edu .

TerukoKurodaTUCK (Dec 15, 2004 11:42:24 AM)
Thank you all for your interest in the Tuck school and It was great to be able to hear your voices today. Best of luck in the applications and we hope to see you soon!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room