Late Round Applications Chat with Anderson, Tepper and Darden 2005

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 6:15:15 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to tonight's chat on The Do's and Don'ts of Late Round Applications with UCLA Anderson, UVA Darden, and CMU Tepper.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 6:15:24 PM)
I also want to welcome the schools representatives: Linda Baldwin, Director of Admissions; Wes Hawk, Anderson's Associate Director; and Craig Hubbell, Anderson's Associate Director, International Admissions.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 6:15:43 PM)
For Tepper: Laurie Stewart, Director of Admissions; James Frick, Associate Director of Admissions.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:15:44 PM)
Thank you, Linda, glad to have the opportunity to chat with your participants.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 6:15:54 PM)
For Darden: Dawna Clarke, Director of Admissions.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 6:16:07 PM)
Final request: We would like to avoid the brief summary of qualifications (or even the long laundry list) followed by the question, "Can I qualify?" Or "What are my chances?" This isn't the forum for that kind of analysis.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:16:21 PM)
Hello, everyone--thank you for arranging this, Linda.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 6:16:28 PM)
Other than that limitation, this is your chance to ask questions about late round applications and specific questions about Anderson's, Tepper's, and Darden's admissions policies. Please post your questions.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 6:16:32 PM)
You're very welcome.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 6:16:55 PM)
For all the schools: Do applicants have a decent chance this late in the application cycle? Is it less than earlier in the process?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:18:04 PM)
UCLA: There is still a decent chance to be admitted in our 4th Round. However, we do admit more candidates in the first two rounds.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:18:06 PM)
Linda--the profile of students offered admission stays pretty constant throughout the process, so the chance of admission in a later round at Tepper is the same as in the earlier rounds (with the same application credentials). We have students in the program that applied in all four of our rounds.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:18:16 PM)
Speaking for Darden, yes, applicants still stand a decent chance of being offered admission. I would advise, however, trying to complete your application sooner rather than later.

svskr (Apr 7, 2005 6:18:28 PM)
For all the schools: what % of total admits are from final round? Common myth is that the final round exists to add diversity, to get people from different backgrounds. Please comment.

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:19:51 PM)
UCLA: For Anderson it really varies from year to year. In the past, anywhere from 10 - 20% is from R4. And we do try to add diversity, of all types, from all rounds - including R4.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:20:10 PM)
For Darden alone, we don't set targets in terms of the percentage of candidates to take from each round. We make the decisions based on credentials, rather than on targets. For most schools, my guess is that the percentage that is taken in the final round will vary from year to year, depending on the quality and quantity of the applicant pool.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 6:20:33 PM)
For all the schools: If I apply now and am rejected, will I be at a disadvantage when reapplying next year?

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:20:58 PM)
svskr--for Tepper, we get the largest volume of applications in our 2nd round and so most admitted candidates come from that round. Our final round is much smaller in volume--but I'd estimate 15% or so come in our final round and from the waiting list.

Meg (Apr 7, 2005 6:22:20 PM)
Anderson: Does the GMAT have to be taken by April 30th, or do the results have to be received by the school by that date?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:22:34 PM)
UCLA: Not really. Your chance may be quite good if you request feedback on your application during the months of June-August in writing, and then fortify your application for the upcoming year based on this feedback.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:23:08 PM)
Each year at Darden we get several applicants who were previously denied admission. It is important for denied applicants to seek feedback on the strengths and weaknesses of their applications in order to "tweek" it for the following year.

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:23:12 PM)
UCLA: Hi Meg, for Anderson the GMAT has to be taken by that date, so there is still time.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 6:23:14 PM)
Can I still obtain financial aid? Fellowships?

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:23:46 PM)
We still have need-based financial aid available at Darden, but not merit-based financial aid.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 6:23:48 PM)
That last question was for all schools.

JamesFrickTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:23:59 PM)
Hi Linda and hello all! At Tepper, all admitted students are considered for merit aid, regardless of round.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:24:07 PM)
Not a disadvantage at Tepper, Linda--though we would encourage someone to get feedback about areas they could strengthen in their application if they plan to reapply.

gmba (Apr 7, 2005 6:24:15 PM)
For all schools: Would it be possible to comment on how the applicant pool is so far this year as compared to previous years?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:24:43 PM)
UCLA: Yes, you can still obtain financial aid. As for fellowships, we are continuously awarding based on funds that become available.

watergirl (Apr 7, 2005 6:25:28 PM)
Is the 20% remaining at Anderson for rounds 3 and 4?

LateorFirst (Apr 7, 2005 6:25:39 PM)
Dawna, why was the deadline changed?

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:25:52 PM)
For Tepper--our volume through 3 rounds is about 8% less than last year and the quality of candidates looks really strong.

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:26:07 PM)
UCLA: The 20% figure applies to the last round.

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:26:24 PM)
UCLA: Hi gmba - the size of the pool is smaller than last year, but the quality is just as strong in terms of work experience, diversity of backgrounds, academics, etc.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:27:06 PM)
Dear GMBA, you may have seen the article on BW on-line today. Most MBA programs have experienced declines in their applicant pools. The quantity of the applicant pool at Darden has declined, but the quality is great this year.

LateorFirst (Apr 7, 2005 6:27:32 PM)
All schools: Why is it better to apply late this year than early next year?

ronj-fl (Apr 7, 2005 6:27:48 PM)
Anderson, is there an advantage to submitting the application prior to the deadline, as well?

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:28:04 PM)
Darden received several requests for extensions on the deadline for the last round. We thought it was fair to extend it for everyone and we still have offers of admission to grant.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:28:18 PM)
LateorFirst, it really depends on what's best for you. Many schools still have space for this year. The applicant volume is expected to increase for this year.

sunilkaki (Apr 7, 2005 6:29:32 PM)
What are the approximate scores and GPA needed to get into UCLA or Tepper in this round?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:29:37 PM)
UCLA: Hi, LateorFirst! I don't believe it is better to apply in the last round. I think that this year there is more of an opportunity because of a declining applicant pool and more competition. However, early applicants were able to perhaps leverage this more.

JamesFrickTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:29:49 PM)
Hi LateorFirst, I think the answer will really vary from person to person - for some, the time might be right - for others, the additional time will allow for a better application and more opportunities to research the different programs.

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:30:13 PM)
UCLA: Hi ronj-fl - In general it is better to apply earlier, since we have rolling admissions. However, if the extra week or two will help you create a stronger application then take the extra time. Use your best judgment for when your application is ready.

CBears (Apr 7, 2005 6:30:17 PM)
All schools: Let's get to it. What are some the don'ts for applying late?

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:31:18 PM)
Don't slap your application together. Take time to present the best possible application. If a school highly encourages an interview, make the investment of going to interview. It's another opportunity to "market " yourself.

JamesFrickTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:31:50 PM)
CBears - would say don't rush to complete the application - you owe it to yourself to put your best foot forward - i.e. taking the time you need to have your application at its best.

Meg (Apr 7, 2005 6:31:56 PM)
All schools: Are the chances even for foreign applicants and US citizens?

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:32:10 PM)
Hi sunilkaki--you can find the profile for our most recent entering class here http://web.gsia.cmu.edu/default.aspx?id=141605. This is a good starting point to see where successful candidates are.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:32:29 PM)
Hi Meg. Where are you from?

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:32:37 PM)
UCLA: one don't that jumps to mind is to rush the essays. Don't feel that since you are in R4 you have to rush to throw "anything" together. Take time to reflect on the questions and your reasons for an MBA. Then write solid essays that will stand out.

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:32:56 PM)
UCLA: Couple of don'ts - I encourage the late applicant to not wait too late to apply. If there is a stated deadline, get ahead of the curve even if you only submit the application a few days before the deadline.

Meg (Apr 7, 2005 6:33:09 PM)
From France, but I live in LA.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 6:33:33 PM)
All schools: How can late-round applicants handle visa issues if accepted? What if one is accepted and unable to obtain a visa in time?

annah (Apr 7, 2005 6:34:07 PM)
All schools: Are there any particular skills, qualities, or attributes one should highlight about oneself in a late round, in terms of rounding out the class?

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:34:33 PM)
That's great. There's a great deal of competition among US business schools to increase their enrollments from Europe. Right now we've made 7 offers of admission to candidates from France. The fact that you're French but have also lived in the US will distinguish you!

ev (Apr 7, 2005 6:34:53 PM)
Anderson: In the last round, does one admission criteria carry more weight than others? (i.e. GMAT score)

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:35:26 PM)
UCLA: We have admitted intl. students needing a visa as late as the end of June, and have not found problems in getting it processed in time. Please note that our academic year begins in mid-September.

JamesFrickTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:35:29 PM)
Hi Annah - I wouldn't draw a distinction in terms of skills or qualities that you could contribute. I think they would be the same regardless of round.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:35:38 PM)
Regarding VISA issues............even though we're focusing on late-round applicants, I'd apply earlier rather than any later if you're an international student. Some countries are harder than others in terms of issuing VISAs.

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:35:50 PM)
UCLA: Hi Annah - Just be yourself. Share with the adcom the things that make you special as a person. Avoid the temptation to overthink the issue and try to be something you aren't.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:36:16 PM)
Linda--we work very closely with our Office of Int'l Education (OIE) to streamline the timing on our side so admitted students get their I-20s as quickly as possible. We have a very experienced admissions team member who works with individual students and OIE to get things done, provide advice, etc.

giugv (Apr 7, 2005 6:36:41 PM)
Anderson, according to previous years' info- is that remaining 20% completed with applicants from the waiting list or from the 4th round??

svskr (Apr 7, 2005 6:36:44 PM)
Darden: in the late round, when will the decisions be made? I got accepted elsewhere, and I would like to know until when I should wait to hear from Darden.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:37:05 PM)
Dear SVSKR, when did you apply?

svskr (Apr 7, 2005 6:37:17 PM)
I'm planning to apply in the final round.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:37:59 PM)
Final round was March 1. Do you mean by the extended deadline of June? Most applicants will hear within 3 weeks of submitting the application. Have you come for an interview?

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:38:00 PM)
UCLA: Hi EV - we do not have weights on the different aspects of an application. The criteria we have for R1 - R3 is the same for R4.

jdub (Apr 7, 2005 6:38:03 PM)
LindaBaldwinUCLA: how does the admissions committee view current voluntary unemployment if the reason was to pursue 2005 entrance for your program?

Ping (Apr 7, 2005 6:38:49 PM)
All schools: Do you still hold interviews with last round applicants?

svskr (Apr 7, 2005 6:38:51 PM)
Dawna, no, I would like to, but no information about the extended deadline is available. Is it better to apply early, ahead of the extended deadline?

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:39:09 PM)
Ping--yes, we do.

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:39:19 PM)
UCLA: Hi Giugv! The last round is completed with both 4Rounders and waitlist candidates. We typically admit those who applied in the 4 R and will at the conclusion of that round then consider those on waitlist.

hondur-Turkey (Apr 7, 2005 6:39:34 PM)
A question for UCLA: does it matter if you receive the transcripts 2-3 days after 18th of April, assuming that we will have completed online registration?

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:39:39 PM)
Yes.

ronj-fl (Apr 7, 2005 6:39:46 PM)
All schools: Is a general recommendation letter acceptable, provided that it answers all the recommendation questions?

Alexander (Apr 7, 2005 6:40:39 PM)
It is good morning from Beirut, Lebanon. Is it too late to apply now?

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:41:03 PM)
UCLA: Hi Ping - we also will interview R4 applicants. At this time, the online on-campus interview sign up is over. However, we do invite some candidates for alumni interviews.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:41:17 PM)
Dear Alexander, no it is not too late to apply.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:41:34 PM)
ronj-fl--we can use a general letter that covers our reference questions, but we do prefer recommendations submitted on our form.

Anjani Shah (Apr 7, 2005 6:41:55 PM)
All schools: What is your process when selecting a candidate?

JamesFrickTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:41:58 PM)
Hi ronj - at Tepper, we would prefer if possible that you use the form we provide, but would accept a general letter that covers the questions.

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:42:10 PM)
UCLA: Hi Hondur - As long as the application is submitted on time it should be fine.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:42:19 PM)
Dear Anjani Shah, we look at a variety of factors at Darden ranging from your GPA, GMAT, recommendations, essays, work experience, and interview. Have you applied yet?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:43:13 PM)
UCLA: Hi jdub! Voluntary unemployment for the purpose of completing an application does not necessarily bode well. However, there may be extenuating circumstances which should be addressed in our optional essays. Also, a question will arise regarding what employment is planned following the submission of the application. Again, it is important for an applicant to utilize the optional essay to provide us with some insights.

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:44:05 PM)
UCLA: Hi ronj - Same at UCLA, we prefer our own form, but will accept a general rec. as long as it covers the questions.

watergirl (Apr 7, 2005 6:44:11 PM)
UCLA - same question- will all decisions be out on June 2, or some earlier?

Ping (Apr 7, 2005 6:44:27 PM)
To all schools: Did all admitted applicants have interviews?

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:45:14 PM)
UCLA: Hi watergirl - our R4 decision date is June 23, so all will be out by then. And a handful may hear before that time.

JamesFrickTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:45:18 PM)
Hi Ping! At Tepper, all students offered admission will have an interview. It could be by phone or on campus at this point in the process.

Anjani Shah (Apr 7, 2005 6:45:19 PM)
I am currently going through the application process.

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:45:33 PM)
UCLA: Hi Ping! We try to have all admitted applicants interviewed.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:45:39 PM)
Dear Ping, yes, at Darden all admitted students have had interviews.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:45:45 PM)
Anjani--tough to answer that well in this format. We read all parts of the application and after the initial review invite some candidates for an interview. A second review is given by the interviewer who recommends decisions to our admission committee. We consider all aspects of the application when we make our final decision.

mba2be (Apr 7, 2005 6:45:58 PM)
BTW: my message was directed to UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions, regarding the application fee waiver when using embark online application.

unam (Apr 7, 2005 6:46:05 PM)
Dawna, how long does it take after the application submission to possibly get an interview call? I applied before the March 1st deadline and am eagerly waiting to get an interview call.

gmba (Apr 7, 2005 6:46:22 PM)
Tepper: Am I right that the deadline for international applicants has passed?

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:46:32 PM)
Dear Unam, if you send me your name tomorrow at ClarkeD@darden.virginia.edu I'll personally check on your status.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:47:39 PM)
gmba--yes it has, though we are continuing to accept applications on a 'rolling' basis. If you are an international candidate, I'd encourage you to apply soon.

Ping (Apr 7, 2005 6:48:05 PM)
To all schools, do you prefer applicants with longer working experience?

JamesFrickTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:49:09 PM)
Ping, I would say at Tepper, we would look for quality over quantity regarding work experience.

jazz39 (Apr 7, 2005 6:49:21 PM)
UCLA: If you did not interview, will this hurt your chances?

Alex (Apr 7, 2005 6:49:31 PM)
Dawna: are international applications down this year? If so, how does Darden plan on compensating for diversity?

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:49:32 PM)
UCLA: Hi Ping - We don't have a preference for work experience. Some students come directly from undergrad, while others have many years of work experience. It just depends on your reasons for wanting an MBA at that particular point in your career. And of course Quality over Quantity every time.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:49:33 PM)
Ping, the average years of work experience is about 3-4 years at Darden.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 6:49:47 PM)
To all schools (from someone who couldn't make it): When is the deadline for the accepted applicants from previous rounds to commit their deposit?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:49:48 PM)
UCLA: Hi mba2be! Did you previously ask a question regarding application fee waivers? We offer waivers only to individuals who are enrolled in college (seniors) and can prove they are currently on financial aid. The request for consideration needs to be in writing.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:49:56 PM)
Ping--not necessarily. We accept a range of experience levels from directly after undergraduate to more than 10 years. Most candidates fall in a range of 2-7 yrs experience, but we have several with more or less.

Joe Chen (Apr 7, 2005 6:51:00 PM)
UCLA - after submitting your completed R4 application, when should you hear back regarding interviews (if you do).

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:52:44 PM)
UCLA: Deposit deadlines vary based on when you were admitted. Candidates admitted prior to March 15th have until April 15th. Candidates admitted after March 15th have 30 days to confirm their intention to enroll with a deposit.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:52:54 PM)
Linda--we have a range of deposit dates, depending on when someone is admitted. Since we need to reply to candidates on the waiting list in mid- June, everyone has reply deadlines by the first week of June.

DawnaClarkeDarden (Apr 7, 2005 6:53:02 PM)
Darden's deposit deadline is coming up soon...........April 15th................We do, however, grant extensions when necessary.

montasser123 (Apr 7, 2005 6:53:03 PM)
UCLA-can I submit my own transcripts? My school is abroad and my school in the US may not meet the April 18 deadline.

Curt (Apr 7, 2005 6:53:10 PM)
All schools: When there's an option of a phone interview and a campus interview, are they viewed equally or is the campus option better?

michaeldang (Apr 7, 2005 6:54:11 PM)
To UCLA: Regarding the GMAT, which date will be the last date of test-taking that the school will accept?

svskr (Apr 7, 2005 6:54:14 PM)
Dawna: will I be able to talk to Darden alumni in my area, to know more about the program which will help in my submitting better applications? Can I request such a meeting?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:54:26 PM)
UCLA: Hi montasser123 - yes, you can scan your transcripts if you are submitting online or you can send us a photocopy.

JamesFrickTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:54:28 PM)
Hi Curt - at Tepper, we view each option equally. I would say the benefit to you as an applicant would be to visit, as spending the day will allow you to attend a class, meet with students, and likely get a better "feel" for the culture and community.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:54:40 PM)
Curt--they are viewed equally in our process, but it can really help you know the program/culture by visiting. I'd encourage you to visit if possible.

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:54:59 PM)
UCLA: Hi Joe - The R4 deadline is April 18th, and we should be setting up interviews soon thereafter as we get through applications. So it can be as early as a week or so afterwards. It just depends on when your application makes its way through the adcom.

Anjani Shah (Apr 7, 2005 6:55:01 PM)
Hi Linda Baldwin. If you are interested in a dual degree, but not certain the second degree is needed, can you apply for the second degree once you have started your MBA, or do you need to have both admissions during the same year?

Meg (Apr 7, 2005 6:55:30 PM)
Anderson: is only the diploma certificate mandatory, or are transcripts mandatory also? It's difficult to gather them from abroad.

Alexander (Apr 7, 2005 6:55:50 PM)
All schools: I am an international student, yet have a rather strange status with respect to visas. I will get an alien residency permit by June. Does that conflict with acceptance issues in any way?

michaeldang (Apr 7, 2005 6:55:57 PM)
To UCLA: I didn't take the GMAT yet. Which date will be the last date for UCLA to accept GMAT scores?

giugv (Apr 7, 2005 6:56:30 PM)
UCLA: just a photocopy of the transcripts, you said??

Alexander (Apr 7, 2005 6:56:56 PM)
All schools: Is there a way that the TOEFL is waived for international students?

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:57:48 PM)
Alexander--if you receive your permanent residency before matriculating, you don't need to go through the visa process.

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:58:03 PM)
UCLA: Hi michaeldang, April 30th is the deadline that is posted. However, there are some applicants who cannot take it by that time. Should a candidate submit a GMAT score much later than the deadline, they will not receive a guaranteed decision by the posted "Decision Mailed" date. Also, there will be fewer spaces.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:58:16 PM)
Alexander--we don't require the TOEFL if you have a degree from an institution where the language of instruction was English.

daisy (Apr 7, 2005 6:58:29 PM)
To all schools- I took the GMAT twice, and so have different scores. Which score do you value more: the low one or the high one?

JamesFrickTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:58:30 PM)
Hi Alexander - at Tepper, if primary medium of instruction at your UG institute was English, you can request a waiver.

Meg (Apr 7, 2005 6:58:45 PM)
Anderson: is only the diploma certificate mandatory, or are transcripts mandatory also for foreign applicants?

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:59:20 PM)
UCLA: Hi Anjani. It depends on the 2nd degree, but in general you need to have both admissions during the same year if you want the joint degree to shave off one year. One of the exceptions is the JD/MBA, where you can apply to it either your first year of law school or first year at Anderson.

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 6:59:22 PM)
UCLA: Hi giugv! Yes, you can send a photocopy. However, to be officially admitted, we must receive an official copy.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 6:59:39 PM)
daisy--we always use your best score if you have more than one GMAT.

shrepa (Apr 7, 2005 6:59:44 PM)
Anderson: Hi! Does time spent in a graduate program count as work experience?

unam (Apr 7, 2005 6:59:54 PM)
Dawna, my wife is a medical student in George Washington University in Washington DC. I am eager to join Darden in case I get admitted because that will give me an opportunity to drive back at least once a month to visit her. Do situations like this help the applicant/application? Thanks for your reply in advance.

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 7:00:33 PM)
UCLA: Hi Shrepa - we count full time work experience. However, we do take a look to see what graduate work you have done, and do take that into account.

giugv (Apr 7, 2005 7:00:46 PM)
UCLA: I'm an international applicant and am getting my recommendation letters from someone abroad. In order to submit the forms signed, is it possible to send them after the 18th?? Or any tip on how to handle this??

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 7:01:08 PM)
All Schools: We discussed the don'ts of late round applications earlier; what are the do's?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 7:01:42 PM)
UCLA: Hi Meg! Both the diploma certificate and the transcripts are required.

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 7:01:49 PM)
UCLA: Hi Daisy - We ask you in the application which score you want us to use. So you get to choose.

ScottM (Apr 7, 2005 7:02:04 PM)
UCLA-- What is your policy on wait-listing and deferring?

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 7:02:05 PM)
Do give your recommenders as much time as you can to prepare your references--so think about that early on.

JamesFrickTepper (Apr 7, 2005 7:02:50 PM)
Do your best to ensure that your supporting documents (transcripts, etc.) arrive in a timely manner so as not to delay the evaluation process.

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 7:03:07 PM)
UCLA: Hi Curt! We only do face-to-face interviews.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 7:03:38 PM)
Do ask the admissions office for student/alumni contacts that you can talk with if classes are no longer in session.

svskr (Apr 7, 2005 7:03:42 PM)
UCLA: is it true that international applicants have less of a chance in the final round than the rest of the applicants in the same round?

J-Mo (Apr 7, 2005 7:04:02 PM)
Group from UCLA: How would you view a late-round applicant who has had success in applying to a number of schools, but now realizes he should have shot a little higher? I was concerned that my low (low) GPA was going to hurt me, and it may well do that when applying to UCLA, but I have learned quite a bit going through the process. Is this a situation that could resonate well when my application is reviewed?

giugv (Apr 7, 2005 7:04:23 PM)
Anderson: Just curious, how can a candidate that comes directly from undergrad add value to the class with no previous experience?

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 7:04:42 PM)
UCLA: Hi Scott - we do have a waitlist at UCLA and review it regularly. As for deferring, since the nature of the applicant pool can change from year to year, we do not grant admission deferrals. The only exceptions to this policy are made for those few applicants admitted directly from undergraduate programs who want to seek work experience.

michaeldang (Apr 7, 2005 7:05:10 PM)
UCLA: Is there a fee waiver for UCLA staff?

Ping (Apr 7, 2005 7:05:26 PM)
To Anderson, what is the chance of getting the first year fellowship in the last round?

annah (Apr 7, 2005 7:05:53 PM)
All schools: Are equal financial aid dollars available for late round acceptees?

svskr (Apr 7, 2005 7:06:22 PM)
Does Darden/ Tepper offer rolling admissions within the round?

JamesFrickTepper (Apr 7, 2005 7:07:17 PM)
Hi annah - at Tepper, equal merit aid is available, independent of round.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 7:07:51 PM)
svskr--our replies have come out on the published reply dates. We haven't released many early within the round.

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 7:08:37 PM)
UCLA: Hi J-MO : We do not look at what other programs you have been admitted to when we review the application, so that would have no impact. There are many reasons why people apply in R4. Whatever the reason, I encourage you to make sure you put together a solid application with well written essays and good LORs. If you want to address why you applied in R4, you can always do that in the optional essay #4.

ronj-fl (Apr 7, 2005 7:08:48 PM)
To all: Do's and don'ts on essays? Particularly the optional essay?

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 7:08:55 PM)
UCLA: Do's: Take time to write strong essays. Visit the campus and sit in on a class (yes, you can still do this at UCLA Anderson). Prep for the GMAT, do practice, practice, practice before taking the real deal. Think clearly about your career goals and how the MBA will help you achieve them, and further think about what resources at UCLA Anderson specifically will also assist you with the achievement of these goals. Lastly, do try to stay ahead of the crowd by getting your application in a few days before the application deadline.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 7:09:27 PM)
J-Mo: I advise you to focus not on why you shouldn't go to the other schools that accepted you, but on why you want to go to the school you are applying to: in this case, Anderson.

ScottM (Apr 7, 2005 7:09:58 PM)
Mr. Hawk, thank you...What if UCLA likes me as a candidate, but wants me to pursue one more year of work experience?

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 7:10:03 PM)
ronj-fl- Do use the optional essay to highlight any info that you think is important that isn't covered elsewhere in the application and to address anything that you think may be perceived as a weakness.

TC (Apr 7, 2005 7:10:10 PM)
Hi, to all schools: how important are recommendation letters? Must it be from some senior figure for it to have more creditability? I started a boutique hedge fund consisting of 3 partners. Would getting one of them to write my recommendation letter help? Thanks.

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 7:10:14 PM)
UCLA: Hi Michaeldang - Not that I know of.

Alexander (Apr 7, 2005 7:10:30 PM)
To all schools: Are there regional acceptance quotas for international students?

JamesFrickTepper (Apr 7, 2005 7:11:49 PM)
TC - I think, in terms of a recommendation, it's really best to select those who can best speak about your talents, experience, and leadership potential. We would much prefer this information over someone with an impressive title who can't really speak about those qualities.

vintagechuck (Apr 7, 2005 7:12:10 PM)
To all B School representatives, thank you ALL for being so open and forthright in your answers. I feel much more prepared in completing my application!

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 7:13:05 PM)
Thanks for joining us tonight, vintagechuck, and good luck!

JamesFrickTepper (Apr 7, 2005 7:13:07 PM)
vintagechuck (love your handle!) - our pleasure!

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 7:13:26 PM)
UCLA: Giugv - Every applicant does add a tremendous amount to the class. Not everyone has the same background and life experiences, and this diversity enhances the learning of everybody. The students coming straight from college are the top performers and have generally been very active in their communities, clubs, and have solid summer internship experiences - all of which allows them to add to the class experience.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 7:13:51 PM)
Thank you all for participating. Special thanks to Linda Baldwin, Wes Hawk, Craig Hubbell, Dawna Clarke, Laurie Stewart, and James Frick.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 7:14:00 PM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats. On deck:

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 7:14:09 PM)
HEC April 14 at 10:00 AM PT/1:00 PM ET/6:00 PM GMT; LBS April 20 at 10:00 AM PT/1:00 PM ET/6:00 PM GMT.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 7:14:19 PM)
Please check the website (http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.aspx ) for exact dates and times.

LaurieStewartTepper (Apr 7, 2005 7:14:29 PM)
Thank you for hosting, Linda. Good luck everyone and good night all!

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 7:14:31 PM)
Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

svskr (Apr 7, 2005 7:14:47 PM)
Special thanks to UCLA and Tepper representatives for answering so many questions.

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 7:14:49 PM)
UCLA: Hi Ping. Varies from year to year, but there are fellowship dollars available even in the later rounds.

TC (Apr 7, 2005 7:14:50 PM)
Good night all. Thanks again.

svskr (Apr 7, 2005 7:14:50 PM)
Thank you all. It is gratifying to know I still have a chance in the final round.

hondur-Turkey (Apr 7, 2005 7:14:55 PM)
Thanks a lot, everyone.

Guest (Apr 7, 2005 7:14:55 PM)
Darden: When was the application deadline extension again?

Alexander (Apr 7, 2005 7:14:57 PM)
It's good morning for me!

jamespark2 (Apr 7, 2005 7:14:58 PM)
UCLA - Congrats on your move up in US News ranking.

MBAapplicant (Apr 7, 2005 7:15:06 PM)
UCLA: I had applied to Anderson in Round 2, but was denied recently without an interview, even though I had tried my best to schedule one. Is there any way that I could be reconsidered and may be able to appear for an interview at this point?

JamesFrickTepper (Apr 7, 2005 7:15:08 PM)
Thanks to all and best of luck to all!

annah (Apr 7, 2005 7:15:17 PM)
Thank you all.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 7:15:24 PM)
Thanks to everyone for participating. For Dawna, Laurie, and James, it's getting pretty late.

unam (Apr 7, 2005 7:15:29 PM)
Thanks everyone for answering the questions.

J-Mo (Apr 7, 2005 7:15:37 PM)
Thank you all school representatives for your time tonight.

ScottM (Apr 7, 2005 7:15:53 PM)
Thank you all.

Alexander (Apr 7, 2005 7:15:55 PM)
It's my 5 AM.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 7:15:55 PM)
Good luck to you all.

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 7:16:01 PM)
UCLA: Hi Ronj-fl! Essays: 1. Answer the essay question. Often applicants miss what the question is asking. 2. Allow time to reflect on the question, so preview the essay question for a few days, then begin the writing process. 3. It is often helpful to make a list of accomplishment from college on, a list of goals, and/or list of what you hope to achieve by completing an MBA. 4.Carefully edit your essays.

giugv (Apr 7, 2005 7:16:04 PM)
What about the questions that have not been answered yet??

ev (Apr 7, 2005 7:16:11 PM)
Thank you all.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 7:16:16 PM)
One truism of a late round app: If you apply, you have a chance. If you don't apply, your chance is -0-.

Ping (Apr 7, 2005 7:16:16 PM)
Thanks you all for sharing so much valuable information.

michaeldang (Apr 7, 2005 7:16:24 PM)
UCLA: How can I deliver photocopies of my transcript by hand?

J-Mo (Apr 7, 2005 7:16:48 PM)
Another questions for Anderson specifically, if you have time: is housing in and around Westwood a difficult matter for Round 4 admits? Any other issues that can arise from the lack of time between when applicants get good news and the date when students need to be on campus?

WesHawkUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 7:17:11 PM)
UCLA: Thank you everyone. If you have additional questions, feel free to e-mail mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu - Cheers.

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 7:17:28 PM)
UCLA: michaeldang - yes, you can walk them in. Please place in an envelope.

michaeldang (Apr 7, 2005 7:17:49 PM)
UCLA: Thank you so much.

LindaBaldwinUCLA (Apr 7, 2005 7:18:04 PM)
UCLA: Good luck and good night!

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 7:18:11 PM)
Thanks again.

ronj-fl (Apr 7, 2005 7:18:17 PM)
Thanks and good night.

giugv (Apr 7, 2005 7:18:22 PM)
Wes, unfortunately, I'm not lucky in getting answers from mba.admissions...

svskr (Apr 7, 2005 7:18:26 PM)
Linda, thank you very much for arranging this chat.

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 7:18:38 PM)
You're welcome. The transcript should be posted by late next week.

Cesc (Apr 7, 2005 7:19:05 PM)
THANKS A LOT!

Linda Abraham (Apr 7, 2005 7:19:34 PM)
You're welcome. Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services