2005 LBS MBA Admissions Chat with David Simpson

2005 LBS MBA Admissions Chat with David Simpson

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:11:41 AM)
Good morning/evening everyone! I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com’s International MBA Admissions Chat. My name is Tanis Kmetyk. I have been an Accepted.com editor for the last 4.5 years, working largely with EMEA candidates and I will be moderating the chat.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:12:17 AM)
First, let me welcome: David Simpson - MBA Marketing and Admissions; Julie Hope - London Business School Career Services.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:12:46 AM)
Vivek Tanneeru: First-year MBA from India. Prior to MBA: World Bank in Washington DC.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:13:05 AM)
Ron (Noriaki) Watanabe - Current first year MBA student (MBA2006) from Japan - Prior to MBA: Mitsui & Co.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:13:20 AM)
Thiri Mon - Current first year female MBA student (MBA2006) from Myanamar/USA Prior to MBA:  Capital One.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:13:52 AM)
Philip Hirschhorn - Current second year MBA student (MBA2005) from Australia - Prior to MBA: Boston Consulting Group.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:14:21 AM)
And Matt Yates - Current first year MBA student (MBA2006) from the UK - Prior to MBA: IBM Business Consulting.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:16:11 AM)
Here's one for the students: What is LBS's unique selling point and where does it score over US schools?

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:17:41 AM)
The obvious one is internationalism - no other school is as international as London - many US schools say they are international, but when I visited schools, most international students spoke with a North American accent ;-) The other thing about the school is the atmosphere in class and on campus...it's very collegiate and not competitive at all, which makes for strong teamwork.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:18:01 AM)
Sourabh asks: I want to know if working in a government organization is a disadvantage while seeking admission at LBS?

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:18:54 AM)
A lot is made of that teamwork spirit. Can you describe it a bit?

PhilipHirschhornLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:18:58 AM)
For me, the London location is fantastic. Being in a major city allows us to work with companies for our Business School projects. For instance, I'm currently doing a project for a Professional Football Club. Plus its great if you're looking for a job in Finance or to work for a major company in Europe - there are many firms headquartered here.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:19:44 AM)
Hi David--Where does LBS stand at this point in the admissions process?

ThiriMonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:19:48 AM)
The main advantage for me is the fact that everything about the school has a global perspective - students, faculty, the curriculum. Case in point is my study group, which has 7 people from 7 different countries and job backgrounds. The courses also have a team component in the grading. So you will be working on a project with your fellow students and how well you do depends on how well you work together as a group! I've been lucky so far with my groups... :)

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:19:57 AM)
In terms of teamwork - finding jobs can be quite a stressful competitive time, but in my experience, students practice interviewing together, share leads and information despite going for the same job.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:21:17 AM)
Thiri- What is LBS like for a woman?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:21:33 AM)
Hi Tanis. Admissions have been going quite well. Application numbers are flat this year, unlike many of our competitors who have faced a drop. As you may know, we have staged admissions, so we reserve places for each point in the application process. We want the best 300, not the first 300! Each class is 300, split into 'streams' of 75 or so. We rotate these 'streams' so that you get to know most people in your class before the end of the first year. You will spend the first year in study groups of 6 about 6.

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:22:17 AM)
I was attracted by the diversity (in both cultural and industrial background) of London Business School and the school has never betrayed that expectation.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:22:50 AM)
Ron, what about the status of LBS once you go back to Japan? And in Asia, in general?

VivekTanneeruLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:22:57 AM)
To me London Business School has the most international 2-year MBA program - that holds true across the board - students, faculty, teaching material and jobs.

ThiriMonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:23:40 AM)
The ratio is fantastic!! :) Seriously though, it is not that different from any other business environment. I don't really feel different being a woman student. If someone is interested in women-specific networks, our Women in Business club is very strong on campus and also has very, very good links into the business world. We also have an increased number of scholarships this year offered specifically to women.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:23:51 AM)
Here's a question from KD-Canada: Is it true that GMAT scores are not looked at when evaluating applications?

tetyana (Apr 20, 2005 1:24:27 AM)
Is adding the impromptu presentation in the alumni interview scope a new addition this year? As I guess, the topics can vary within quite a broad range. What is the main objective behind arranging the presentation as part of the interview scope, apart from viewing one's presentation skills and the ability to address a topic within a short span of time? Thanks in advance.

PhilipHirschhornLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:25:02 AM)
I'd be happy to answer any questions from Antipodeans interested in coming to London.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:25:11 AM)
Philip, could you tell us a little about your Second Year Consulting Project? I understand you actually get paid for this work; is that correct?

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:25:25 AM)
Julie, how is recruiting going this year? Are there more companies recruiting on campus this year? More interviews scheduled?

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:25:41 AM)
David, could you tell us about the 15-month fast track option?

Amit (Apr 20, 2005 1:26:04 AM)
I've been with Reuters for the last 2.5 years. I'm still evaluating various colleges and LBS is definitely one of the key ones. I still need some convincing though on how it will benefit me.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:26:15 AM)
We do use the GMAT scores as part of the whole reviewing process. It is very much a combination of essay, GMAT, undergrad scores, postgrad / professional qualifications and most importantly work experience. We ask for at least 3 years experience after undergrad and our students have on average 5-6 years.

Khushal (Apr 20, 2005 1:26:33 AM)
How many rounds of interviews does LBS conduct after getting the applications?

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:26:49 AM)
Tetyana - it's not new this year - I had to do it to get into MBA2006 and its nothing to worry about - from a student's perspective, it's fairly straightforward to plan an interview, but the presentation is designed to test how students think on their feet and whether or not they can structure their thoughts.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:27:19 AM)
We have a new 'option' within our MBA that allows you to graduate after just 15 months rather than then the full 21 months.

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:27:37 AM)
The LBS alumni community is quite solid in Japan and in Hong Kong as well. Although LBS is still less known than the top US schools, the LBS community is growing and people are helping each other in various matters including career development (some consulting firm and venture capital love LBS students).

JulieHopeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:27:54 AM)
Hi Tanis. Recruitment is going well and we have seen an increase both in companies coming on campus to recruit as well as those posting job and internship opportunities on our on-line job posting board.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:28:05 AM)
David, that sounds interesting. What is the difference between the 15 and 21 month options? Fewer classes? Activities?

PhilipHirschhornLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:28:13 AM)
The second year project is a highlight of the course, especially for those without a consulting background. It's the place where the theory we learn comes together and can be put to some practical use. Students can go out and get the client of their dreams, but many companies also approach the Business School asking for students to do a project for them. Many, but not all projects are paid - its a good test of your negotiating skills when agreeing the price! Some students make real money out of this project, and some even have bonuses riding on the outcome.

tetyana (Apr 20, 2005 1:28:50 AM)
The study year starts in September with an orientation period, with actual classes starting in October. Do you have an indication whether one's presence on campus is needed in early Sept. or is it the end of it? Thank you.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:29:35 AM)
The 15-21 month option is designed for people who may be sponsored, or have a job offer and need to get back to work. Candidates simply take 9 rather than the full 12 electives. We have not changed the overall structure of the Programme, as we feel strongly about the value added from projects, internships and our London location.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:31:08 AM)
Philip, with your insight as a second-year student, do you have any specific advice for incoming or prospective students?

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:31:11 AM)
Amit - the choice of schools is very much a personal one. For example, people who are very focused on their existing career and just want to accelerate it may think that 21 and even 15 months may be too long...others may want the breadth and depth that a longer programme offers, so it is really about individual needs. Again, it also depends whether or not you work best in ultra-competitive environments or not and what industry and geography you are interested working in longer term. Are there an specifics we can help answer?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:31:14 AM)
Tetyana, students are required to attend Orientation at the end of August and class  actually start then. There is no gap between those first few days at Orientation when you are together with peers from 50-60 countries and the core courses commencing.

Amit (Apr 20, 2005 1:32:12 AM)
How easy /difficult has it been for international students to arrange for financing this year?

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:32:14 AM)
Tetyana - believe that orientation starts with registration on 29th August this year.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:32:15 AM)
Khushal, each year we interview between 700 and 900 candidates, depending on the quality we see coming in. We have no quotas.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:33:02 AM)
Julie, how is recruiting going this year? Are there more companies recruiting on campus this year? More interviews scheduled?

MSR (Apr 20, 2005 1:33:19 AM)
Could you please suggest if age 40 is a discouraging factor for applying for the full time MBA?

tetyana (Apr 20, 2005 1:33:28 AM)
Thanks, Matt. How difficult is it to get a green light from HSBC on the loans? I realize it is very specific for each applicant considering the earnings history, etc., however, as a general rule, can it be a problem for a non-UK/EU/US citizen? Thank you.

VivekTanneeruLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:33:45 AM)
Sourabh, working for a government organization doesn't put you at a disadvantage at all. Here at London Business School we have students with varied backgrounds - banking, consulting, industry, NGO's, Government and self-employed. LBS really values non-traditional experience and strives to recruit people from all sectors. For instance in my class there are a few doctors who worked for the National Health Service in the UK and an ex-professional football player.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:34:37 AM)
Here's an addendum to MSR's question: Is a GMAT under 600 discouraging if work experience is 15+ years at the age of 40?

JulieHopeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:34:59 AM)
This year we have seen both new organizations recruiting our students (across finance, consulting and industry) as well as previous recruiters returning and making more offers. The recruitment prospects

PhilipHirschhornLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:35:05 AM)
Tanis, looking back over the two years, the classes and projects have been fantastic, but its the involvement in other activities that has really made the degree - the point is to make sure your time at London is well rounded. I've been involved in the Football (Soccer Club), Energy Club, and Sundonwers (Thursday evening drinks) clubs. It's through these activities that you get to appreciate the diversity here in London and get to know your class mates well. The other piece of advice concerns the range of classes. There is a wide range of electives at London and good choices will see you cover some really interesting topics with really interesting people. In the elective classes you'll get the chance to mix with some Executive MBAs ,Masters in Finance and PhD students, which enhances the learning process.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:35:13 AM)
Tetyana, the impromptu presentation was introduced last year. You described our objective well! Observing you present with little preparation is just one small part of the overall process. As you know, we ask a lot from candidates in our admissions process - as we want to build the strongest possible class of 300, where every individual contributes on many levels - in a study group, in the classroom, on campus in clubs and setting up events, and as alumni.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:35:29 AM)
Thanks Julie. Are any sectors particularly active or more active than they have been in recent years?

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:35:58 AM)
Tetyana and Amit - in terms of financing, my recommendation is to go for a blended approach including savings, scholarships, parental loans and HSBC loan. The HSBC loan is certainly still a possibility for any international student, but the amounts have reduced over the last few years (due to a small number of defaults) and it's really important to consider all the options up-front.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:36:18 AM)
Tanis, you will need to retake the GMAT and get over 600 to get into the Programme. We don't reject people at first review stage on a low GMAT alone, but do ask for candidates to reach a competitive level to gain final admission.

ThiriMonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:36:24 AM)
Hi Amit This is Mary, one of David's colleagues using Thiris's handle for a couple of minutes. Still early in the season in terms of financing but it seems to be going pretty well so far. We have a new Financial Aid Officer working at London Business School who liaises with our offered candidates in order to ensure that their loan applications are thorough and realistic. We have external loans with HSBC and Sallie Mae. We also have a good scholarships portfolio. The majority of scholarships have a deadline for people applying by Stage 3. However, we will have some additional scholarships available for Stage 4 candidates. Hope that helps. Handing back to Thiri.....

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:36:33 AM)
David, what advice do you have for applicants who are waitlisted?

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:37:07 AM)
To the students, what do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you?

JulieHopeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:37:34 AM)
The recruitment prospects for this year are looking good across the board but it is fair to say that both finance and, particularly consulting have been better this year. We are also broadening our contacts with industry recruiters and now have two Associate Directors whose remit is to market our students to such organizations.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:37:44 AM)
MSR, we have a portfolio of courses to cover all age/experience levels. You may want to take a look at our Sloan Fellowship Programme, it's a 10 month MSC in Management.

Amit (Apr 20, 2005 1:37:59 AM)
Yes Matt, there would be specific concerns. I am in India and would be looking for a career in financial services internationally (UK being one of the major hubs tops my list). I'm confidant that LBS fits the bill but probably need more clarity on the details on the functional skills I could acquire.

subhrendu (Apr 20, 2005 1:38:29 AM)
How does LBS value work experience in the software industry?

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:38:50 AM)
Amit - do you come from a finance background?

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:39:00 AM)
Julie, are there any skills and/or attributes that are particularly sought-after this year?

Rakesh (Apr 20, 2005 1:39:15 AM)
Is the GMAT required for the Sloan program too?

PhilipHirschhornLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:39:20 AM)
Coming from Australia was a pretty big move. I actually came a couple of weeks early which gave me a chance to find an apartment without any stress, get to know London pretty well and be relaxed going into the start of school. Plus there are many events organized by students over the Summer (Sundowners, touch rugby, football kick-around) which give you the chance to meet people before the pressure of school starts.

Prashant (Apr 20, 2005 1:39:54 AM)
Hi David, this is Prashant here - we met a couple of weeks back in New York - I was very impressed after meeting the alumni and current students who came to the presentation with you, and will be applying to LBS soon - I just wanted to check if you have to receive the complete application along with supplements by the 29th deadline, or can I submit the application first, and the transcripts & recommendations a few days later, maybe even after the deadline?

tetyana (Apr 20, 2005 1:40:00 AM)
Are there any students who live on campus, or most people look for housing outside? How early would you recommend the search for housing before the start in August?

KD-Canada (Apr 20, 2005 1:40:49 AM)
I was wondering about tattoo, the orientation event. Is that an event that is organized by the school or by second year students? I'm most interested in the international food fair - is it a big part of orientation? It sounds really interesting...

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:41:08 AM)
TanisK, every year we place quite a few candidates on the waitlist. As we want to build a class of just 300 from a competitive applicant pool, we have some tough decisions to make. Although I can't give you numbers, as they change every year, I can tell you that quite a few of our current students spent some time on the waitlist. We admit students from every 'Stage' of the 4 stage admissions process and manage a waitlist at the same time. We don't want candidates to send in lots of extra materials to the Admissions Committee - this won't help you - unless you have NEW work experience or qualification details to add.

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:41:13 AM)
Tanis, I've read books written by prominent CEOs (of IMB, Starbucks, SONY...) and got the feeling of "what should be attributes of corporate leaders". This helped me mentally prepare to launch my MBA study and gave me a better view as to what I should focus on. In addition, I have studied basic accounting and finance, which reduced my workload during the term substantially.

pretorian (Apr 20, 2005 1:42:31 AM)
What about engineers? Is this a curriculum to be considered for them?

JulieHopeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:42:54 AM)
There is a core group of skills that every recruiter looks for eg. analytical skills (quantitative and qualitative), inter-personal/communication skills, leadership skills, team work skills etc. These are always looked for, regardless of sector or organization and this hasn't really changed.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:42:55 AM)
Hi Prashant, how are you? Thanks for the feedback, I really enjoyed the event...and always enjoy New York, but not as much as London! You can send the application first and then the other sections a few days later, even after the deadline. That is fine.

PhilipHirschhornLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:42:57 AM)
There is no on campus housing - students generally find private accommodation, and many share with other students. There are plenty of apartments available nearby. I'd suggest coming 2 weeks before hand. That'll give you the opportunity to walk around and really see the apartments and find a nice one. Don't be afraid to use the Portal discussion board to ask people advice or look for apartments that people are leaving.

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:43:17 AM)
Amit - the range of finance electives at the school is big, on the basis that classes are shared with Masters in Finance students as well as Exec MBAers. You will no doubt be challenged even if you come from a strong financial background as well as gaining a greater understanding of things like corporate strategy and marketing strategy which will complement any FS work you undertake in your career. Furthermore, as London is one of the strongest financial centers globally, London Business School students get access to banks and investment firms for both projects and recruitment opportunities...

KD-Canada (Apr 20, 2005 1:43:27 AM)
Thanks David.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:43:33 AM)
Rakesh, GMAT is required for all degree programs including Sloan.

tetyana (Apr 20, 2005 1:43:39 AM)
What are the most common options for campus exchange during the two years (e.g. US schools)?

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:44:13 AM)
Pretorian - if you come from an engineering background you will have a strong foundation for both the quant and qualitative aspects of the course and this really is a head start.

ThiriMonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:44:15 AM)
Amit - I'm going into the finance industry and have several colleagues from LBS who are from India and now going into finance. It really depends on what sort of financial services you are targeting and what your background is as Matt mentioned. Many I-banks are willing to take MBAs without specific I-banking background provided you show enough knowledge.

Amit (Apr 20, 2005 1:44:20 AM)
Matt, Yes. I head the client training team in Reuters India and have a background in finance. I did my PGDBM in finance 6 years ago and really feel I need to upgrade the functional skills to move ahead. Am I looking for the right course?

Amit (Apr 20, 2005 1:44:27 AM)
David, what's the average GMAT score this year?

PhilipHirschhornLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:44:31 AM)
I'm afraid I'll have to leave the chat for an important second year project meeting. Good luck everyone with their applications.

Khushal (Apr 20, 2005 1:45:26 AM)
How good of a job does LBS do in terms of lateral placements? For example, does a person from an IT back-ground gain sufficient exposure, and knowledge in Finance for Banks & other Finance giants to consider recruiting this person instead of someone with prior experience in banking/finance?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:45:39 AM)
Subhrendu, we take people with software industry experience every year. I guess you'll know that we receive quite a few applications from this sector, but we DON'T have quotas, we simply look at the all round candidate backgrounds.

KD-Canada (Apr 20, 2005 1:45:56 AM)
For scholarships, I realize that the GMAT is probably taken into consideration. I have a 640 GMAT but I'm thinking about retaking it. What would I have to score to be competitive? When is the latest time LBS will consider GMAT scores in awarding scholarships?

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:46:01 AM)
Tetyana - the school has the second largest exchange programme of any business school and almost all the top schools are offered - I will be going to Columbia in New York next spring!!

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:47:25 AM)
David, getting back to the waitlist issue, since there have been several questions about it....so you do not discourage additional info as long as it's valuable. Is there anything else a potential student could --or should not-- do to strengthen their case?

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:47:47 AM)
Amit - if you are looking to move into a specific functional finance area then we can perhaps arrange for you to speak to someone about the range of electives that cover that area. It also depends whether you just want to develop a finance spike or want to broaden out slightly.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:47:52 AM)
Amit, we won't know the average GMAT until the end of the season, but I expect it to be around the 680-690 mark. We do not make admissions decisions in order to improve the average score. In fact, we don't really measure it until we have admitted the final 300. Fellow Students, Faculty and Recruiters benefit from the all-round quality and diverse profile of the class - all students are bright, charismatic and driven, and it is these personal criteria we look at first.

VivekTanneeruLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:47:55 AM)
Tetyana, while some students use the University of London housing option, most live outside the school. There are a plenty of housing options available around campus within a 5-20 minute walking distance. It took me a week to find an apartment when I moved here.

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:48:21 AM)
Tatoo was mainly organized by second year students. It is not an official orientation event but it is held in early October. Most of the regional clubs set up a booth and provide their own foods and drinks. Many people wear traditional costume of their own country and students tatoo each other. We also have dancing party after the foods until midnight. Believe me, it is lots of fun and I found myself sleeping in the stairs at my home the next morning.

ThiriMonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:48:23 AM)
Tetayana. Mary Ferreira here once more - Thiri is taking a recruiter call! The international exchange programme is world class - we exchange with about 30 top business schools around the world - including the United States. Typically one third of the MBA class might go on exchange for one term/semester. In return, we host students from the exchange schools here at London Business School. All the exchange schools are listed on the MBA pages of our website: www.london.edu Some people go because they are interested in a particular geographic area for a career search, others because they might be learning another language and others simply because it is an excellent chance to experience another part of the world. We give a lot of information beforehand as obviously students need to be aware of electives or recruitment activity here in London that they might miss while they are away. The majority of people who go on exchange seem to enjoy it tremendously. Back to Thiri...

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:48:55 AM)
Thiri- You come from Myanmar but live in the US...Where are you looking to work post-LBS?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:48:57 AM)
Tanis, we only want new info from waitlist candidates if it's about new jobs or qualifications. We don't want extra references or extra declarations of interest. Remember how much reading the Admissions Committee have to do with new applications and the existing waitlist.

JulieHopeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:49:19 AM)
Hi Kushal - I-Banks are less concerned about the nature of your previous work experience and more about your transferable skills - which have been developed both from your work experience but also through your MBA. Certainly people with a software background have made the transition into banking - but they have been able to offer the skills - and the personal qualities - that the banks look for.

subhrendu (Apr 20, 2005 1:50:22 AM)
Thanks David If you can elaborate on what kind of skills you really look for in people from the software industry, that would be great. What I basically want to know is what does LBS expect from guys in the software industry? How do they evaluate their skills?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:50:29 AM)
KD, a 640 GMAT is within the class range, (although we look at individual scores and sometimes ask people to retake even at that level). Scholarships are for the best of the best and are merit based - on academics as well as work experience, so with a below average GMAT, you'll need an above average undergrad.

Amit (Apr 20, 2005 1:50:43 AM)
Thanks Matt. I am sure I could benefit from speaking to somebody and discuss in detail. If you could be kind to pass on that info, that would be great.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 1:51:21 AM)
Can someone tell us more about the Shadowing Project and whether or not one can do it more than once?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:51:22 AM)
Subhrendu, we look for the same personal characteristics from software guys as the rest of the class. Of course, much depends on your aspirations.

Prashant (Apr 20, 2005 1:52:05 AM)
David, another question I had was about the Admissions Stages used by LBS - I belong to the oversaturated applicant pool of Indian Male Techies, and was wondering if I have just as good a chance of being accepted by the final deadline as I would have had in the first 3 stages? I'm asking because a lot of American Schools use the final round only to balance the diversity in their applicant pool, a LOT of people with my profile have already been admitted to their incoming classes.

tetyana (Apr 20, 2005 1:52:31 AM)
When deciding to go to another school for a semester/term, does the financing of this time change according to another school's fees charged, or it remains the same as if one stayed in LBS? Thank you.

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:52:50 AM)
Tanis - in terms of shadowing, you are only required to shadow one person for 5 days, although I know of several fellow students that are looking to do a few three or four day mini-shadowing projects in addition as it's a good way of making contacts and finding out about industries you are interested in.

ThiriMonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:53:28 AM)
I'm planning to stick around in Europe for a while - most likely in London (at least to pay off those loans in pounds!). I've lived in the UK for the last 2 years and really enjoyed it. I'm quite flexible with geography though since I went to international schools growing up and have a fascination about living and working in different countries. My current plan is to do my summer internship in the London banking industry (Morgan Stanely - markets) and see where that takes me! The great thing about the community that we get here in London Business School is that there will be someone I know in most countries to visit and perhaps even job hunt in. :) We just finished the milkround for summer internships last term (for those going for consulting and banking) and it can be an intense process that lasts for about a month. Company presentations, applications, interviews and hopefully, offers! I don't think we have the stats on the percentage of successful students yet but it was not a bad year since things are picking up. If you are interested in what's generally termed as industry (i.e. non-banking/consulting) then your job search is more spread out in terms of time and could involve searching outside of Career Services postings.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:53:42 AM)
Just to follow up on Tattoo - this event was (like all of them), for all sectors of the School community - students, staff, faculty, alumni and student partners. I went this year - it was great fun, whether you drink or not.

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:54:39 AM)
Tenaya, while you are studying for exchange at another school, you don't have to pay any additional tuition to that school. But you have to pay for your accommodations and living expenses by yourself.

KD-Canada (Apr 20, 2005 1:54:43 AM)
I personally think I'm capable of a 680-700 but retaking the GMAT is the only way I can prove that. I'm wondering when is the cutoff date to awarding scholarships? It's going to be tough for me to write the GMAT this month but should be able to some time in May. Just wondering if that's not too late for scholarship consideration.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:55:04 AM)
Prashant, we do not use stages differently through the year. We pick who we consider to be the best 'fit' for the Programme.

KD-Canada (Apr 20, 2005 1:56:24 AM)
Can you only go on exchange with a school that sends a student to LBS?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:56:24 AM)
KD, we will accept later GMATs in the final stage. If you take it in May, that should be fine. We will not be awarding any of the final round scholarships until interviews and offers have been made - in June.

James Tu (Apr 20, 2005 1:57:10 AM)
David, I've just taken the GMAT, and I'm sure my official score has been sent to you. Though my total score is 93%, my AWA is below 9%. Do you have cut off rates according to AWA score?

Khushal (Apr 20, 2005 1:57:33 AM)
Thiri, how difficult can job hunting get? I mean out of a batch for 300 students in the LBS each year, are there cases of people struggling to land jobs of their choice. The onus seems very much on the student to go find the company of his/her choice, but in India, in the IIMs it is the companies which come to campus to recruit. Just a different model I guess, but something that is new to me. So, in essence, is it stressful and do people struggle?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:57:56 AM)
KD, it is a reciprocal agreement - we have around 30 exchange schools - and only partner schools that we think offer value to our students - whether as a top ranked school, or because of their location/subject specialties. We do not have any one-off exchange students from other schools.

subhrendu (Apr 20, 2005 1:57:59 AM)
My aspirations lie in setting up a business unit in the software technology (maybe embedded technology to be more precise). Currently, I am acquiring the technical skills, etc. How does LBS, in terms of course content, contacts and knowledge base, stand to help me in furthering the business knowledge of this industry in the world? Also, I would like to know, based on these aspirations, what kind of experience (in terms of years and roles) does LBS consider suitable to consider me for admission?

tetyana (Apr 20, 2005 1:58:17 AM)
Although 85% employment after 3 months of graduation looks quite good, what would be the most common reasons for the 15% who do not get jobs within this time?

VivekTanneeruLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:58:31 AM)
Khushal - Many come to London Business School to change careers after MBA. I have a tech. consulting background and am looking to move to Asset Management post-MBA. I have managed to find a summer internship at an asset management firm. The school provided excellent support in my internship hunt. Apart from on-campus recruitment, you also have an extensive alum network that you can tap into.

Steve (Apr 20, 2005 1:59:04 AM)
Can anyone from LBS give hints on what to expect at interview? There has been some mention of a "5 minute presentation."

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 1:59:18 AM)
James Tu - we do not have a cut off for AWA. With a low score, we would look closely at your essays, etc.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 2:00:19 AM)
David, could you let us know a bit about how you use the interview in the admissions process?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:00:27 AM)
Steve, we won't give any hints but make sure you've re-read your own application! Also, be sure to have considered how your past experience could help you to contribute to the school, how we can help you and what you want to do post-MBA.

tetyana (Apr 20, 2005 2:01:26 AM)
What was the most challenging part of the alumni interview process, based on your own experiences?

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:01:28 AM)
Subhrendu - last week I attended a CEO Technology Venture Capital conference in London...and there are many events like this that would help. If you are thinking of starting a technology (or any other) business, through contacts and events at school, you can arrange venture capital funding, facilitate partnerships with strategic-fits and generate publicity and awareness across a wide network.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:01:32 AM)
TanisK, interviews are a very important part of the process. Nobody gets admitted without one. They usually last over an hour, with the shortest at 40 minutes...and up to 3 hours!

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:01:47 AM)
Tetyana - finding the offices...

ThiriMonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:02:25 AM)
Hi Khushal - job hunting is always stressful I suppose. We have what is called the milkround process (a UK term for when companies come on campus to recruit) and most of the major companies come on campus. If your target job is within banking, consulting or larger firms (J&J, Shell, etc.) then the milkround process brings them to your door. Companies come to do presentations on campus where we can mingle, gather info and network. Most first-round interviews are also conducted on campus.

ict (Apr 20, 2005 2:02:46 AM)
David, what are the chances of being admitted if applying for the 29/4 deadline?

JulieHopeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:03:22 AM)
Tetyana, of the 15% who do not get the jobs within 3 months of graduation, the most common reason is actually because they are not looking! Some students plan to take time out, travel - or start a family before returning to employment. There are also some students who decide to wait until the right job for them comes along - not necessarily within 3 months. However, any students who are having difficulty finding employment continue to receive full support from Career Services until they find a job.

KD-Canada (Apr 20, 2005 2:03:35 AM)
What is LBS's deferment policy? Only medical-related or unique project related?

subhrendu (Apr 20, 2005 2:03:44 AM)
Given my aspirations of setting up a business (technology) unit, what kind of role and work experience does LBS consider suitable for admission?

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:04:24 AM)
Tetyana, for me it was obviously a stress interview. But don't be afraid, just be yourself. If you can elaborate more about what you wrote in your essay and be logical, a stress interview would be fun.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:04:27 AM)
ict - I can't give you any stats on that - as it depends what your application is like but I can tell you that last year 58 students were admitted in stage 4.

Khushal (Apr 20, 2005 2:04:42 AM)
What is the average amount of years in work-experience of the students admitted into LBS over the last three-four years?

Ronak (Apr 20, 2005 2:05:31 AM)
Usually it is seen that many people from corporate background apply to business schools with the intentions of becoming an entrepreneur. Do you receive applications from entrepreneurs who would like to enter the job market? How good a chance do they stand in entering LBS?

Jason (Apr 20, 2005 2:05:59 AM)
David, what are the teaching methods of tech management? Is the student body of the subject area diverse? For example, some of them come from the business school, while others from the engineering schools. How do you simulate real life experiences?

tetyana (Apr 20, 2005 2:06:12 AM)
Thanks, Ron, agree completely.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:06:19 AM)
The Admissions Committee only grants deferrals in extreme situations - and we ask for evidence. We consider that if you apply for an MBA in one certain year - you should be 100% that you want to do it. Obviously serious health issues to yourself or a close family member are considered.

James Tu (Apr 20, 2005 2:06:41 AM)
Was there anyone accepted from China last year? Normally, what's the percentage of applicants to LBS from China?

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:07:23 AM)
Subhrendu - it varies dramatically, in my class we have a guy who managed Whistler ski resort, a ship's captain from the Far East, an officer from the military and all major blue-chips, industries, consulting and banking firms...furthermore, we have entrepreneurs who have started their own business or been part of a family business...so it's all about telling a compelling story in your application...and demonstrating how your experience will build a diverse class with different opinions...furthermore, it's not just about work experience and the things you do outside of work (charities, sports etc.) but it's also important to demonstrate the commitment you are likely to make to the school.

tetyana (Apr 20, 2005 2:08:29 AM)
Is it possible to come on Mon/Fri at 3 pm and get a chance to sit in one of the classes? Who should be contacted to have this arranged?

rachnita (Apr 20, 2005 2:08:39 AM)
Why would you say that the percentage of female students is so low?

Khushal (Apr 20, 2005 2:08:48 AM)
Thanks once more, Thiri. Could you please elaborate a a little on what you mean by industry jobs?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:08:50 AM)
Jason - our class is extremely diverse. It's not the academic background that is the main focus of interest, it's the work experience gained. Each subject area is taught differently and the professors decide that! Most classes are very practical in focus, with cases, simulations, guest speakers, (again our London location helps a lot) and field trips. However, it is the practical projects that compliment the classroom learning.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 2:09:42 AM)
Julie, how are graduates doing in the Asian job market? Indian? Middle Eastern?

KD-Canada (Apr 20, 2005 2:09:55 AM)
About the field trips, where are these typically to? banks and consulting firms? Are industry offices visited?

Khushal (Apr 20, 2005 2:10:10 AM)
How does LBS compare in terms of tuition fees, living expenses in London etc. with an American B. School like Columbia or Cornell?

john (Apr 20, 2005 2:10:31 AM)
David, have you ever had a student from Macedonia? Coming from a small, Balkan country, do I have an advantage?

PhilipHirschhornLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:10:39 AM)
Hi Khushal. Mary Ferreira here once again. I'm jumping from PC to PC. Phil has just left for a second year project meeting with his client. In terms of work experience, the average of the entering class has typically been 5 to 6 years the past few years. The range is typically from 3 to 10 years. However, what is important is that the students can each speak with relevance from their particular function/industry. This means that the class and study group discussions are lively and full of debate. During admissions, amongst many elements, we are also interested learning about type of responsibility candidates might have had in their professional careers to date - i.e. running projects, ownership of budget, managing teams.

Jason (Apr 20, 2005 2:10:41 AM)
How does the shadowing project work? Do students actually walk in companies?

tetyana (Apr 20, 2005 2:10:45 AM)
What is the number of students representing Eastern Europe in your class?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:10:48 AM)
Rachnita, we take students from 50-70 countries each year and not all of them offer so many female candidates. E.g. 35-45% of our US students are female, but only about 10% from India. Most business schools don't face this issue as they don't have such international recruitment.

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:11:04 AM)
KD-Cananda - our last field trip was to EuroDisney in Paris. Almost all 300 first year MBAs went and we were looking at the service design and operations of the park.

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:11:07 AM)
James, I have a lot of Chinese classmates from the mainland, Taiwan, Singapore, Philippine, US, UK.The bond among Asian students (including Korean and Japanese) is strong!

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:11:36 AM)
Tetyana - 5-10% Central and Eastern European students. Again, no quota, so it changes each year.

Ronak (Apr 20, 2005 2:12:09 AM)
I have heard that once the programme is over, if you do not already have a job in hand you are asked to leave the country. Is this correct?

KD-Canada (Apr 20, 2005 2:12:14 AM)
Matt, did the MBA students also get to cut in line. :D

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:12:21 AM)
Jason - shadowing is essentially a chance to be a manager's shadow - in that you are not part of discussions or work - you simply observe their behavior and sit in on the tasks they do. It's a chance to see what top-executives do and how they interact.

subhrendu (Apr 20, 2005 2:12:30 AM)
I understand your viewpoint Matt. I am more of a techie as of now with little business exposure, though have slight experience in managing people and small teams. I am trying to understand that given my aspirations of setting up a business unit (on technology) in future, how does LBS consider me suitable for admission and whether I should acquire more experience in management or business outlook before applying to LBS?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:12:33 AM)
John, we have had students from Macedonia. It is up to you to turn that into an advantage in your application!

ThiriMonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:12:49 AM)
Hi Tetyana - you got the right forum. I actually take care of class visits for prospective students! You can contact Penny Luya (pluya@london.edu) in the admissions office who will provide you a link to a form where you can specify you preferences. You will then come through to me and I will find you a student who will host you in their class. Classes start at 2pm or 6pm on Mon/Fri but you can arrange to join them at break.

rachnita (Apr 20, 2005 2:13:05 AM)
Thanks, David. Has there ever been any applicants from a hotel industry background accepted at LBS?

JulieHopeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:13:09 AM)
Hi Khushal - let me take over from Thiri on this one. We use the term "Industry" as a shorthand term to describe all the other employment sectors that are not Finance or Consulting. As you can imagine this covers a vast range of sectors - technology, media, telecoms, energy, pharmaceuticals, retail, transportation, chemicals, utilities etc, etc, etc. It also covers government/public sector, not for profits, ngos etc. So you can see why we use the shorthand "industry"!

VivekTanneeruLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:13:11 AM)
KD-Canada - There was a field trip to Hong Kong last December where a few students interested in banking jobs in Asia went and met with investment banks and alums.

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:13:31 AM)
KD-Canada - we went two weeks ago on a rainy day, so there were no lines...never seen so many investment bankers get so excited at meeting Mickey!

tetyana (Apr 20, 2005 2:13:58 AM)
Thanks, David. What would be the number of accepted applicants of age 24 and below (roughly of course)?

Ronak (Apr 20, 2005 2:14:08 AM)
Does LBS provide any short term courses, or any other activities during the tenure of the programme for spouses? Does the LBS career service center help spouses get jobs in London?

Jason (Apr 20, 2005 2:14:13 AM)
Hi, Matt, you do these shadowing projects in the classroom?

ThiriMonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:14:51 AM)
Ronak - that is not true. As MBA graduates, we qualify for the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) visa, which allows you to stay in the country. The visa is also specific to you, not the employer (unlike the US H1-B) so when you change jobs or between jobs, you can stay on as well.

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:15:02 AM)
Subhrendu - The average work experience in my year is about 6 years and that means if you have less, it needs to be strong coupled with a strong academic undergrad background. It really depends and it may be worth speaking to an admissions team member privately to discuss your background.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:15:23 AM)
Khushal, our fees are similar to top US schools. We benchmark every year. This year we froze fees to take account of the US dollar: UK Sterling exchange rate issues. London can be expensive, but it is important to remember that prices vary a lot by area. There is a lot of choice and you can live within your means and still be close enough to the school.

Khushal (Apr 20, 2005 2:15:43 AM)
Thank you Julie for answering my question about "industry". Just to go marginally deeper, if one does a MBA in India, Finance and Consulting are considered the Holy Grail. How does it work out in LBS for a batch of 300, on an average, how many end up in the "industry" and how many in Finance/Consulting?

KD-Canada (Apr 20, 2005 2:16:01 AM)
Are there visits/field trips to corporate offices of say shell or BP? I'm interested in multinational energy companies, aiming for their global management programs post-MBA.

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:16:01 AM)
Jason - no, shadowing is done with C-level managers at their offices...and you can pretty much choose anyone, provided you can make contact with them and persuade them...By the way, no other school offers shadowing!

Sourabh (Apr 20, 2005 2:16:13 AM)
Hi Vivek, I want to ask what kind of experience is LBS looking for while evaluating a candidate's application? I have been working in the Reserve Bank of India for the last 5 years, but when it comes to highlighting the achievements I can not quantify it in terms of business as my role as a banker has been more in supervision and regulation. Does experience of this sort find favor with LBS admission committee?

john (Apr 20, 2005 2:16:23 AM)
David, can you tell me approximately, how many applicants from Macedonia has LBS received this year? I would like to exchange some experience about application process with some of them?

Ronak (Apr 20, 2005 2:16:31 AM)
Thanks Thiri. What is the duration of this visa? Is it renewable after expiry?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:17:10 AM)
Tetyana, we probably only have one or two 24 year olds each year...and you have to prove you can offer more than a 28 year old with much more experience but every year people prove it! Often what younger candidates lack in years of experience, they make up for in drive, maturity, charisma and energy...the raw materials firms are looking for.

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:17:10 AM)
KD-Canada - Yes! The Energy Club at school arranges these trips, so although they are not part of the core, if that's what you are interested in, there are certainly several opportunities to do so...and the energy firms do recruit from school for internships and full-time positions...

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:17:41 AM)
John, not sure about this year. I don't think we have any admits this year...yet.

Jason (Apr 20, 2005 2:18:16 AM)
Matt, how long does the shadowing project go?

JulieHopeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:19:04 AM)
Hi Tanis. While most of our students are interested in working in the UK - more specifically London, we do have a number of students looking to return to their home countries - or to work internationally. Career Services works together with the student clubs - particularly the regional clubs such as the Latin America Club, to give one example, to build up recruitment links, organize job treks etc. There is also a very powerful and supportive LBS alumni network throughout the world to help in finding job opportunities and in building professional networks

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:19:17 AM)
Rachnita, we have had people working with large family firm owned hotel (and leisure activities) experience.

tetyana (Apr 20, 2005 2:19:27 AM)
Thanks, David, that's what I am after. Regarding scholarships - what's the basis for distributing these by the MBA Admissions Committee?

subhrendu (Apr 20, 2005 2:19:31 AM)
How can I privately discuss my profile with a admissions team member?

PhilipHirschhornLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:19:47 AM)
Hi Ronak, Mary Ferreira here. We have a very active "Partners" club (amongst the 50 or so clubs that have been set up at London Business School.) As soon as people are offered a place, we give details of the Partner Club contacts. They help with everything from information about recruitment in London, to learning English to social events. Partners are invited to all the social events on campus and also have access to our fitness facilities. Many incoming partners have found work through the contacts made via the Partners Club. London Business School Career Services Center is not in a position to help partners as it's remit is to concentrate on business development and career strategy support for the students. However, we do have several student partners who take paid jobs at the Business School by applying to the administration's Human Resources department. Also, if you are a fulltime student in the UK and you are married, then your husband or wife is eligible to work in the UK without restriction.

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:19:50 AM)
Jason - it's 5 days and that can be 5 days straight or one day every month for five months. It depends on who you are shadowing, for example someone shadowing an executive doing an M&A deal may want to do 5 days straight so they can watch the whole thing unfold.

Ronak (Apr 20, 2005 2:19:55 AM)
How good a chance does an entrepreneur with 7 years of experience have over other candidates from the corporate field?

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:19:56 AM)
To minimize the living expense, you can share a flat with other students. I am sharing a flat with Irish, Taiwanese and French boys and girls (altogether four of us). Although I live in a place 5 minutes walk from the school, I pay 585 per month, which is quite reasonable for the area around the school.

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:20:27 AM)
Ronak - as good a chance as ever, if not better, as it will be much easier to differentiate yourself from other candidates.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:20:58 AM)
Subhrendu, we do not give individual counseling about specifics in an application. You would have to apply.

ThiriMonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:21:30 AM)
Ronak - I would hate to misrepresent info so can I suggest you take a look at the UK Home Office website at www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk .

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:21:47 AM)
John, email me at dsimpson@london.edu about Macadonians. Send me your profile, perhaps your resume and I will try and match you up.

MattYatesLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:21:50 AM)
Guys and gals - apologies but I have to leave as I have a meeting to go to about the London Business School Care in the Community day...bets of luck in your applications and have a great day...

narj (Apr 20, 2005 2:21:56 AM)
Is it obligatory to have experienced management to be admitted at LBS? I'm 26 , female and Moroccan, living in France so it is more difficult for me to have access to management even if I may have the skills.

ThiriMonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:21:58 AM)
With the current provisions for top 50 MBA programs in the UK, all of us qualify automatically for the HSMP visa.

Bisha (Apr 20, 2005 2:22:38 AM)
David, how does the admissions committee view a gap in an applicants professional life. For example, I will move to London with my husband in few months, but I only will have a work permit when my husband can finds a job. I will have a gap of about 1 year when I move to England.

JulieHopeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:24:03 AM)
Hi Kushal. To give you statistics from the Class of 2004, 38% went into Finance; 30% into Consulting and 32% into "Industry - which is a fairly typical breakdown.

VivekTanneeruLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:24:31 AM)
Sourabh - As I mentioned earlier, the school doesn't look for one particular kind of experience and you are not at a disadvantage because of your RBI experience. As long as you can demonstrate the results you achieved and showcase the impact you had on your organization you should be fine. Also make sure to mention how you can add to the experience of your classmates.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:24:35 AM)
Ronak, we want entrepreneurs sitting alongside people from a corporate background! We value diversity...it's how you learn!

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 2:25:18 AM)
I just wanted to let you know that I must be leaving soon. As there are still several people online and sending in plenty of pertinent questions, I will unmoderate the chat within a few minutes. This way you will all be conversing with each other! That said, fair warning that the LBS team is only available until 10h30 GMT, so get your questions in! If anyone should need to contact me about this chat, feel free to. I can be reached at tanis@accepted.com .

Ronak (Apr 20, 2005 2:25:48 AM)
Matt, what if ones work experience is quite good, but somehow GMAT may not be that good? Then how good a chance does a person stand to being admitted to LBS? Is there any minimum score that the school looks for? Also. what is the minimum IELTS score that you look for?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:26:25 AM)
Bisha, we don't really like candidates to have gaps...but if you do, you should be filling them as much as possible with activities that add value to your resume. We have to act on the behalf of future employers.

Khushal (Apr 20, 2005 2:26:51 AM)
I would just like to know what the perception of LBS is in the US and where it stacks up, in the American perception. One indicator could be LBS students getting jobs in the US, but I am not entirely sure how to judge this. How does LBS fare in getting jobs in the US? What are one's prospects of getting a job in the US, post a LBS MBA?

KD-Canada (Apr 20, 2005 2:27:04 AM)
Is LBS involved in the local community? Do the students get involved in community events?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:27:05 AM)
Ronak, you need to be scoring over 600 on the GMAT.

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 2:27:27 AM)
Thank you to everybody, especially David, Julie, Philip, Matt, Thiri, Ron and Vivek. And good luck to all of you!

Khushal (Apr 20, 2005 2:27:59 AM)
Thank you all, as well. Thank you Tanis.

Sourabh (Apr 20, 2005 2:28:10 AM)
Does the average GMAT score convey something about the GMAT requirements of LBS? I have heard that Asian students need to get more than the average score as they face stiff competition from the other candidates of their region?

TanisKmetyk (Apr 20, 2005 2:28:10 AM)
My pleasure. Cheers!

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:28:25 AM)
KD, absolutely. In fact, Matt has just left us to go to a local city farm as part of a Community Cares Day. Our New Impact Club is very popular on Campus.

James Tu (Apr 20, 2005 2:28:41 AM)
Hi, David, what was the acceptance rate for last year?

Jason (Apr 20, 2005 2:29:04 AM)
Hi, David, is there any current students from Taiwan? May I contact him or her personally?

Bisha (Apr 20, 2005 2:29:07 AM)
David, thanks for your reply. One more question; now, I am a manager in an international organization, but when I move to England, considering that it would be the first country which I will work in, expect my home country, I may not have a chance to get a manager's level. Would it hurt my resume?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:29:12 AM)
Sourabh, we don't look for higher GMATs from certain countries...as we are always proved wrong.

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:29:18 AM)
KD, I belong to a student club called Net Impact. We have recently done volunteering at a local nursery. We are involved in the community.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:29:41 AM)
James Tu - we don't give out that info. I can tell you the basics that we had 300 students from 1500 applicants.

ThiriMonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:29:43 AM)
Narj - it is not absolutely necessary to have management experience. It can be functional or technical expertise and where you are with your career given the time of experience that you have. For example, I was 26 as well when I applied and only managed one person before joining the programme but I was in a role where I led informal teams across the organization and provided functional expertise.

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:30:20 AM)
Jason, my flatmate/classmate is Taiwanese. There are few more too.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:30:34 AM)
Bisha, as long as you can explain your reasons for taking a position.

KD-Canada (Apr 20, 2005 2:30:41 AM)
Ron, great to hear about LBS community involvement. everything is student initiated right?

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:30:59 AM)
KD, yes, absolutely!!!

subhrendu (Apr 20, 2005 2:31:29 AM)
Can you give me a percentage breakup of the years of work experience profile of people being accepted by LBS and also a percentage breakup of the 'industry' gaining admission?

Marcel Lee (Apr 20, 2005 2:31:59 AM)
The admission office told me that last year there were two students with military backgrounds at LBS. Do you consider people from non-British military backgrounds?

Ronak (Apr 20, 2005 2:32:00 AM)
David, as mentioned somewhere earlier that there about 58 seats vacant to be filled up. Based on your past experiences, approximately how many applications would you receive?

ThiriMonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:32:32 AM)
Khushal - I believe the school has an excellent reputation in the US, helped by our rankings obviously. When I was in the US, the only European MBA programme that I and others know of and talk of was London Business School. With regards to jobs, I think work visas rather than reputation would be a consideration given the current visa climate in the US. The Americans/greencard holders going back do not have issues from what I know.

vijay (Apr 20, 2005 2:32:37 AM)
David, I have a post grad in IT; does it help?

VivekTanneeruLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:32:41 AM)
Sourabh - That is not necessarily true. If you feel you are not strong in one area of the application try to make up for it by focusing on the other areas. For instance if your GMAT score is not high, try to get excellent recommendations and turn in exceptional essays.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:32:43 AM)
Ronak, it varies...and it won't help you knowing the application number.

VivekTanneeruLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:33:03 AM)
Vijay - it neither helps nor hurts.

James Tu (Apr 20, 2005 2:33:05 AM)
I see. To those LBS students, will the academic schedule be tight for you? Are there any interesting activities in LBS. You know, I learn Latin Dance here, so if possible, I'd like to continue it.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:33:07 AM)
Vijay, it depends on the rest of your application - we still want a MIN of 3 years.

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:33:08 AM)
KD, we are also initiating many charity fundraising events. As an individual, I raised fund by running the London Marathon!

VivekTanneeruLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:34:03 AM)
James - there are a tone of interesting activities at LBS. There is clubs focused on acting, salsa, classical music, opera and movies.

PhilipHirschhornLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:34:53 AM)
Hi Marcel. Mary Ferreira here once again. Yes - we have students from non-British military backgrounds. We have had US Navy Seals, people from the Scandinavian forces, the Italian Navy, Israeli Air Force - quite a wide range. Some of these students may not have such a strong knowledge of areas such as marketing and finance but they tend to be excellent in areas such as organizational behavior: team skills, motivating class mates, negotiating....

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:34:58 AM)
James, the classes are fun but tough. Believe me, it is a great learning if you study hard and work hard with your study group folks. About fun, I am also learning Salsa!

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:35:04 AM)
Subhrendu: A breakdown of industries and countries represented is on our website. Please study it very carefully and then email me at dsimpson@london.edu if you have other questions.

Ronak (Apr 20, 2005 2:35:16 AM)
David, with a low GMAT score but a promising application with almost 7 years of work experience as an entrepreneur in international business, how good a chance do I stand in being admitted to LBS? I have not appeared for my GMAT yet, am scheduled to appear on 25th of this month.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:36:40 AM)
Ronak, I'd need to see the whole application. When you submit, you can add your new score. We'll be signing off soon - thank you all very much for taking part. Remember, it is not too late to apply.

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:36:46 AM)
Your welcome Jason. I will go to Shanghai for exchange too.

KD-Canada (Apr 20, 2005 2:37:12 AM)
ron, is that Ceibs you're going to on exchange?

PhilipHirschhornLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:37:34 AM)
Mary Ferreira, posing as Phil Hirschhorn. I am now signing off but hope that we managed to answer some of your questions. David Simpson will post information about our final Stage 4 application deadline. In addition, if any of you are coming to visit the UK, then do look at our website (www.london.edu) for information about our campus information evenings and regular Drop In sessions (no booking needed - every Monday and Friday at 3pm).

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:37:34 AM)
KD, yes

DavidSimpsonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:38:05 AM)
Final Stage for applications - Friday 29 April. Good luck with your applications everyone, whatever your choice of school.

JulieHopeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:38:17 AM)
Hope that the chat has been helpful. Good luck with your applications and hope to see you here in London.

RonWatanabeLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:38:47 AM)
James, believe me. It is fun! I am the social rep of the school!

KD-Canada (Apr 20, 2005 2:39:06 AM)
Thank you everyone from LBS!

ThiriMonLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:39:06 AM)
It was a pleasure chatting with everyone. I will be signing off soon but please feel free to reach out to me if you have any further questions about being a student again! tmon.mba2006@london.edu .

vijay (Apr 20, 2005 2:39:41 AM)
Thank u everyone frm LBS

James Tu (Apr 20, 2005 2:39:46 AM)
David, can I start to prepare Essays according to the topic posted your online application web? 'Cause I don't know whether you will change the topic for Fall 2006 program.

tetyana (Apr 20, 2005 2:39:51 AM)
Thank you so much.

VivekTanneeruLBS (Apr 20, 2005 2:39:54 AM)
It was fun to chat with you guys. Drop me a line at vtanneeru.mba2006@london.edu if you have any further questions. Cheers! Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room