2005 LBS MBA Admissions Chat with Emma Bond

2005 LBS MBA Admissions Chat with Emma Bond

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 9:47:12 AM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's London Business School Admissions Chat. My name is Rachel Cavalier and will be hosting the chat this evening.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 9:47:23 AM)
I also want to welcome Emma Bond, MBA Programme Team - Admissions and Communications; Julie Hope, Career Services Representative; Mary Ferreira, Admissions; Thiri Mon, MBA student and Elizabeth (Zabetta) Camilleri, alumna, class of 2000;

ZabettaLBS (Sep 7, 2005 9:47:33 AM)
Hi Rachel.

JulieHopeLBS (Sep 7, 2005 9:47:48 AM)
Hi, I'm Julie. I am a Career Coach here at London Business School.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 9:48:43 AM)
Here are the participants’ bios:

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 9:48:52 AM)
Thiri Mon, MBA2006. Thiri is one of our student ambassadors and has participated in an online chat before. She is completing a summer internship (as Summer Associate with Morgan Stanley in London) before returning for the 2nd year of her MBA. She will also spend one term on international exchange (at Tuck) during her 2nd year. Thiri is a national of Mynamar. She has been educated in the United States and prior to the MBA worked as a Senior Business Analyst with Capital One Bank (Europe) in the UK.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 9:49:18 AM)
Elizabeth (Zabetta) Camilleri, MBA2000. Elizabeth is from Malta. She graduated from London Business school in 2000 and she is based in London. Her current job title is: Director - Telecom Strategy Consultant at The Gartner Group. Elizabeth went to Malta University and studied Business Management. Prior to the MBA she worked as a consultant with Price Waterhouse Coopers. She was also a keen member of the student organized London Business School Sailing Club.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 9:49:44 AM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 9:50:18 AM)
Emma, what’s new at London Business School?

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 9:51:01 AM)
Julie, could you comment on the London Advantage in recruiting?

Mich (Sep 7, 2005 9:51:25 AM)
How much will my pre-MBA experience affect on the post-MBA position? I have 3 years of international experience in internet services and I want to switch to Finance. Will recruiters consider that I have zero relevant experience? Thanks.

smita (Sep 7, 2005 9:51:47 AM)
Emma - what would be my annual expense including fees, living expenses etc, at LBS?

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 9:51:47 AM)
Rachel quite a bit actually - the big news is that we recently introduced some programme changes which mean that students can now complete their MBA in anything from 15 through to 21 months. This has made the programme a lot more flexible. There is also a new concentration in Private Equity and some great new electives in CSR.

ZabettaLBS (Sep 7, 2005 9:52:27 AM)
mich - all recruiters take commercial experience in consideration. Your internet services experience can be positioned in terms of the skills you have achieved and your international awareness.

Amrita (Sep 7, 2005 9:52:56 AM)
Hi there! Quick question, is GMAT an absolute mandate? I have 7 years work experience at a fortune 500 company, with 3 years worth of international exposure. Have been a topper thru out my post and under grad degrees.

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 9:53:04 AM)
Fees are currently around £43,000. Living expenses come on top of this, and a lot of students try to reduce these by living in shared housing close to campus.

TM (Sep 7, 2005 9:53:17 AM)
What will attending LBS be like for me since I have young children. Is the school year very demanding?

tess (Sep 7, 2005 9:53:48 AM)
Mary, what is the difference between and MBA from the LBS or a masters in finance? Does the masters in finance have a practical component as well, such as the summer internships?

Thirimonlbs (Sep 7, 2005 9:54:17 AM)
Mich - from my internship recruitment experience, I would say you can do a career switch as long as you do your homework. Although I worked in financial services before, I didn't have any investment banking experience. I was still successful at securing investment banking offers and chose to spend my summer with Morgan Stanley. The important thing is to research your target career and be able to articulate why you want to be there. Show that you have done your research and that you are using the MBA to help you prepare for it. I had friends who had diverse backgrounds from engineering, technology to academic research who were in my intern programme in banking.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 9:54:28 AM)
Thiri, do students have the opportunity to interact with professors outside of school?

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 9:54:57 AM)
Hi Amrita, just to clarify, GMAT is absolutely mandatory. Nobody comes into the programme without taking this. Scores for our new class range from 600 through to 790. Do remember though, that as adcom we look at a whole range of things, and not just the GMAT. Work experience, international outlook, undergraduate academics and a thorough and well researched application are all just as important.

smita (Sep 7, 2005 9:55:18 AM)
I am interested in specializing in human resource management, organizational behavior and leadership. Are there courses within the LBS MBA which will meet my requirements?

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 9:56:14 AM)
Elizabeth, what did you like best about London Business School? What would you like to see improved?

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 9:56:18 AM)
TM, the programme is extremely demanding, but a lot of people make it through each year who have young children. I think it definitely helps if you have a supportive partner though!

H (Sep 7, 2005 9:56:46 AM)
Hi all. I wanted to know  whether it is possible to organize summer internships/post graduate recommendations through LBS while taking the 15 month course as currently deliberating between 1/2 year courses.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 9:57:59 AM)
Julie, how are graduates doing in the US job market? Their home countries?

Thirimonlbs (Sep 7, 2005 9:58:10 AM)
Thanks Rachel - yes, absolutely. Professors are an integral part of the community at London Business School and we interact with them outside of class - anything from social activities such as the weekly Sundowners event to more serious outside business consulting projects where we approach professors to supervise us.

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 9:58:33 AM)
Smita, you do a leadership module at the introduction to the first year of the programme. This includes Global Leadership Assessment for Managers, Understanding General Management and Ethics and CSR. The whole course, though, is tailored to develop our students into global business leaders, and there is also a concentration in Change Management.

JulieHopeLBS (Sep 7, 2005 9:58:44 AM)
London is one of the most exciting cities in the world both in a number of different ways - employment opportunities being one of them. London is a global financial centre -with all major investment banks located here as well smaller boutiques, venture capital firms and other financial services employers. All the major strategy firms have offices here and London is the UK centre for a whole range of other sectors and industries. For instance and only one example, London is the centre of the UK media industry.

smita (Sep 7, 2005 9:59:03 AM)
Wow, sounds great, Emma - thank you!

Thirimonlbs (Sep 7, 2005 9:59:10 AM)
H - This is definitely possible. You will have to be focused and take some electives early, etc. to finish in 15 months. The summer internship should still fit in nicely after the 1st year and a second year project (where you work with a company,) which is mandatory.

Paquita (Sep 7, 2005 9:59:13 AM)
Hi, I haven't had any international work experience. Do you think this is a disadvantage to applying to LBS or other European schools?

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 9:59:51 AM)
H, the summer internship is an absolutely integral part of our MBA, regardless of whether you complete in 15 months or take the full 21 months.

smita (Sep 7, 2005 10:00:40 AM)
Typically, what questions are asked in the final interview? Since I am located in India and cannot travel to the UK for the final interview, would I have a telephonic interview?

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:00:56 AM)
Paquita, this isn't necessarily a disadvantage, but you will need to at least demonstrate an international outlook and an open perspective on different cultures.

MaryFerreiraLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:01:27 AM)
Tess, these are two different postgraduate degree programs. We offer an MBA and we offer a Masters in Finance. The Masters in Finance has practical component in its elective portfolio offerings - all outlined on our web site and through the Finance at Work project where students gain exposure to the City of London. The latter comprises exposure to different roles in a variety of functional areas of finance, panel discussions, sessions with alumni who talk about their different functional areas and visits that are hosted in the City of London by multinationals and financial institutions. If you are interested in internship programs to test out your learning and a different function/industry, then the latter is included between years 1 and 2 of the full-time MBA programme.

georgina (Sep 7, 2005 10:01:41 AM)
Does LBS have good entrepreneurial courses? What courses are the particular strengths of LBS?

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:02:06 AM)
What is London Business School doing to attract more women?

Thirimonlbs (Sep 7, 2005 10:02:15 AM)
Smita - You will get your interview in India if you are short-listed. An alumnus located near you will interview you face-to-face. We obviously cannot tell you what the interview questions are but as long as you do your homework and have a clear idea of why you are doing the MBA (which you would have articulated in your essays), be yourself and you will do fine!

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:02:21 AM)
We have been doing as much as possible to attract more women - the first step was to become the first non-US business school to join Forte! We have also produced a brochure just for women, and have increased our female scholarship portfolio substantially. It has also been fantastic having Laura Tyson as Dean, as she is absolutely determined to increase the number of women across all programs here at School.

ZabettaLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:02:43 AM)
georgina - I did most of the entrepreneurial courses at LBS and have to say that they were brilliant. Up until now I am still working with the professors on various projects, directly or with clients.

smita (Sep 7, 2005 10:03:24 AM)
Thank you Thiri.

PS (Sep 7, 2005 10:03:46 AM)
What are the scholarship and financial aid options available for international applicants? Do we need to apply in the first round to avail these?

kaz (Sep 7, 2005 10:04:11 AM)
Zabetta, can you highlight some of the entrepreneurial courses you have taken?

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:04:39 AM)
PS, there are a number of scholarships available, but you should apply in Stage 1, 2 or 3 to be eligible for these. Annual Fund scholarships are awarded on merit and are given out at the time of offer. We also have a portfolio of additional awards which offered candidates need to apply for. These include class and company awards - things like our Forte, Vodafone and Deutsche Bank scholarships. A lot of these are specifically for women candidates. There is also the HSBC loan scheme - while this is not a guaranteed loan, a large proportion of our students use this to fund their studies every year.

ZabettaLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:04:54 AM)
Rachel - LBS has an amazingly female friendly culture. There is a very active women in business group which looks at particular issues, and enables more networking between the business female community. However, being female is not a distinctive factor, no-one treats you any different because you are female; there is complete integration.

JulieHopeLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:05:12 AM)
The job market continues to improve and of the Class of 2005 who graduated in the Summer, 82% of them had jobs when they graduated. The majority of our students do tend to want to work in London, because of the huge range of opportunities here (see above) but those who do want to return home have an MBA from a top ranked school which is recognized throughout the world.

georgina (Sep 7, 2005 10:05:15 AM)
Thanks a lot zabetta!! =)

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:05:38 AM)
That's great Julie!

ZabettaLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:06:26 AM)
The entrepreneurial courses that I did were focused on the setting up of a new startup, the financial and legal courses around startups and I also got involved in the LBS incubator. I also used to use projects in other courses for entrepreneurial organizations.

Thirimonlbs (Sep 7, 2005 10:06:46 AM)
Entrepreneurship is an option that many students take. The entrepreneurship club is very active on campus and have an annual conference as well as bi-weekly speakers dicussion issues related to entrepreneurship. We are also setting up some scholarships that aid new entrepreneurs with loan repayments in the first few years out of school. Obviously, it's a riskier option than corporate life but many people see the rewards. Our faculty is fantastic and even if you are not thinking of being an entrepreneur, I would recommend taking some of the classes - they give a great general business base.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:07:47 AM)
Julie, how are graduates doing in the US job market? Their home countries?

PS (Sep 7, 2005 10:08:11 AM)
Thanks a ton Emma.

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:08:15 AM)
However, please note that we encourage all applicants to thoroughly investigate all possible funding options. You should look at spreading your loans across a number of lenders if possible, and remember that many MBA scholarship opportunities (things like the British Council Chevening scholarships) close very early (sometimes up to a year before the start of your MBA).

TM (Sep 7, 2005 10:08:55 AM)
I have a science background; what will it be like doing accounting? Is there an introductory course for students without an accounting background to get basic accounting principles?

kaz (Sep 7, 2005 10:09:06 AM)
Thanks Zanetta and Thiri.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:10:02 AM)
Zabbeta and Thiri, what do you each of you view as the school’s strength’s?

PS (Sep 7, 2005 10:11:16 AM)
Hi Emma, could you please let me know whether I could request a TOEFL waiver? I am from India, but I graduated from an institution where the primary language of instruction is English. Also, I have been working in the UK for about a year, now.

Thirimonlbs (Sep 7, 2005 10:11:18 AM)
TM - the core courses are designed to get you to a good level. You will take a required introductory accounting class. If you don't have any background in accounting, I would suggest reading up before starting since the courses start at the basic level but ramp up quite fast. Don't worry though, I had a classmate who was a creative arts person in advertising and didn't know anything about finance or accounting. He put in the effort and came out with top marks!

ZabettaLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:11:29 AM)
Rachel - an amazing student body, impressive professors and academic support, long term involvement, and of course not to mention the most internationally diverse community I was ever part of.

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:12:20 AM)
PS, if you have been educated in English for two years or more you will not need to supply us with a TOEFL score.

MaryFerreiraLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:12:36 AM)
Hi Georgina, following on from Thiri's response we do have some excellent professors teaching in this area, all of whom have hands-on experience of having been involved in start-ups, including John Mullins (details on the Faculty area of www.london.edu) who was in the founding team of Gap. As we are a young business school and as we are located in a city that boasts a vast amount of venture capital, there is great spirit and enthusiasm for trying out new ideas- whether this is a result of having taken one of our electives such as New Venture Development or through activity stemming from the student organized Entrepreneurs Club. The latter organizes events such as networking events for entrepreneurs and business angels to panel discussions on areas such as corporate venturing. By the way, I was intrigued today to see that one of our MBA alumni start-ups in Seoul will be donating their product (fresh fruit juices) at an MBA fair that is taking place in that city next week.

NZarela (Sep 7, 2005 10:13:03 AM)
I am 33; do I still have any chance of pursuing an MBA at LBS? Are there people with more then 7 years of experience? Does it count as a low point in an application?

smita (Sep 7, 2005 10:13:48 AM)
I will be taking my GMAT and IELTS only in Jan '06, so I will be applying to LBS only after I get my scores. Would that put me at a disadvantage as far as scholarships are concerned?

Thirimonlbs (Sep 7, 2005 10:13:48 AM)
Georgina - picking up on your earlier question on courses. I found the school very strong in Finance, Strategy and Entrepreneurship. Marketing is being build up as well. The range of electives available is amazing.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:14:21 AM)
Thiri, what do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you?

PS (Sep 7, 2005 10:14:33 AM)
That's super. Thanks a lot Emma. Do I need to submit any proof, though?

abhishek (Sep 7, 2005 10:14:47 AM)
Julie, what are the acceptance rates for international students? What are the key features you look for in an international applicant?

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:14:54 AM)
NZarela, the average age on our programme is currently 28, but we have many people with a lot more experience on the programme! The current range is something like 3-12 years, and more experienced class members have an awful lot to contribute to class and to study groups.

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:15:30 AM)
PS, I'm assuming you went to university in India as well and were taught in English? If so, your transcript will be proof enough.

smita (Sep 7, 2005 10:15:36 AM)
Emma or Mary- I am confused. I have studied in English in India all my life and am about to take my IELTS as I thought it was mandatory; please guide me. Do I need to do it or not? The medium of instruction in both my school, and college in India was English.

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:16:27 AM)
Smita, as per my posting to PS there is a waiver for the English language test if you have either studied or worked in an English speaking country for two years or more. If you have been educated in India you will not need to take either TOEFL or IELTS.

TM (Sep 7, 2005 10:16:36 AM)
Thanks a lot Thiri. With a background in chemistry and physics I hope I will be fine. What do I gain by pending over 40 000? I know about the LBS advantage but will I get placement and career help as well?

JulieHopeLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:16:53 AM)
Rachel, many of our US graduates decide that they want to remain London to work at least for a few years and recent changes in our work authorization legislation means that international LBS students (and their spouses) automatically qualify for a work permit on graduation. For those who do decide to return home, Career Services are developing recruiting relationships throughout the world (we have recently been joined by an Associate Director from NYU Stern) and the world-wide alumni network also provides support.

smita (Sep 7, 2005 10:17:17 AM)
Alright - so it is only the GMAT score that is mandatory. Am I right?

Thirimonlbs (Sep 7, 2005 10:17:20 AM)
Good question Rachel - I actually won't change anything but I would suggest some things - more at the practical level. It helps to get to know some people in the school before starting. Visit the campus, talk to the current student. A programme is as individual as any organization with a distinct personality. It helps to know the environment you're going into. If you don't come from a quantitative background, brush up on math, read a bit about accounting, finance and generally business subjects covered in the core courses. The idea is not to overdo it but just to know where you will need to focus. An MBA programme is not just about school work so this is a good time to get involved in activities, meet new friends and explore different points of view. Come with an open mind - you will gain so much from it.

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:17:20 AM)
Smita, as long as you take your GMAT in January and get your application in by the third round deadline (24 February,) you won't be disadvantaged in regard to scholarships.

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:17:31 AM)
Smita, yes, GMAT is mandatory.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:18:38 AM)
Zabetta and Thiri: Why did you choose London Business School?

smita (Sep 7, 2005 10:18:50 AM)
Thank you so much, Emma - I feel much relieved now.

TM (Sep 7, 2005 10:20:45 AM)
Emma, do I need a case study to qualify for admission?

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:21:10 AM)
Abhishek, as 85% of our student body comes from outside the UK, we don't distinguish between domestic and international students. Any applicant to London has about a 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 chance of being accepted, depending on the year in which they apply. All applicants need to demonstrate leadership potential, strong academics, charisma and personality, an international outlook or some international experience, great essays and good references.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:21:22 AM)
How do you use the interview in the admissions process?

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:21:30 AM)
TM, we don't currently require applicants to do a case study as part of their admission.

ZabettaLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:22:29 AM)
Rachel, you use the interview to highlight your drive, ambition and personality. It is imperative to find a cultural fit, and I found the interview a perfect opportunity to establish that from both sides.

PS (Sep 7, 2005 10:22:30 AM)
I am working as a business analyst in my current organization. I would like to move into consultancy, somewhere down the line. Will LBS help me in realizing this goal?

TM (Sep 7, 2005 10:22:34 AM)
Emma, thanks so much. It is a relief.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:23:02 AM)
Are there any special considerations for re-applicants at London Business School? Should reapplicants obtain recommendations from different recommenders?

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:23:03 AM)
The interview is an integral part of our admissions process, but only for those candidates who are short-listed following their initial application. If you do make it to this stage we organize for you to have an interview with one of our alumni, usually in the city where you are based, or at least close by. Nobody comes into our MBA class without attending a face to face interview. We don't conduct telephone interviews, unless they are as a follow-up to the alumni interview.

ZabettaLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:23:15 AM)
PS - LBS has great links into the major and boutique consultancies and I found the brand immediately recognizable and the MBA a must.

JulieHopeLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:23:57 AM)
Rachel, just to add to my general comments regarding the improving job market for MBAs is the fact that we are seeing a number of major organizations which are actively promoting themselves both as "female-friendly" as well as family friendly. We are seeing a number of initiatives being held in all recruitment sectors - particularly the finance sector which has suffered from bad press in this area.

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:24:35 AM)
Re-applicants need to think about where they might have been slightly weak in their application the previous year. Obviously we expect new essays, but it is up to the candidate whether or not they want to produce new recommendations. We do look at the file from the previous year so we have access to test scores and transcripts. There is no bias for or against re-applicants.

Thirimonlbs (Sep 7, 2005 10:25:05 AM)
I chose LBS fo several reasons: 1) globally-recognized top school. 2) Very international - I went to international schools growing up and felt that it was a great environment for me to learn and grow. I really wanted to get a similar experience. 3) London location - it's a fabulous city to live in. It's also very practical for access to a great job market. 4) 2-year programme - At this point in my career, I really felt that a 2 year programme would give me the necessary time to learn and explore. At the risk of sounding too rah-rah, with all that there was no other programme than the MBA at London!

tess (Sep 7, 2005 10:27:48 AM)
How is the course evaluation divided among coursework, exams, projects, etc.?

Luciana (Sep 7, 2005 10:28:11 AM)
Hello, I have a question about the application process. What are the chances if the applicant has a good GPA score, 5 years of work experience but a poor GMAT score (550-600)? Do you recommend that I re-take the GMAT or do I have a chance of getting accepted at LBS?

Thirimonlbs (Sep 7, 2005 10:28:33 AM)
PS - all the top consultancies recruit here. About 30% of our class goes into consulting after graduation. The look for 'raw skills' - your ability to think in a structured way, problem-solve, etc. Career Services, the Consulting club and fellow students can help you prepare for the industry as well as the interviews.

PS (Sep 7, 2005 10:29:49 AM)
Thiri, that is very encouraging! Thank you so much for that insight!

Thirimonlbs (Sep 7, 2005 10:30:31 AM)
Tess - it depends on the course. Usually, you will be assessed on class participation, assignments, project work (both individual and group), mid-term exam, final exam. The percentages vary - the final exam or paper is usually not more than 50% of the grade if that, with class participation usually around 10-20%.

JulieHopeLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:31:01 AM)
TM - While no one is ever guaranteed employment, experience shows that if you have a realistic career strategy and ensure top quality applications and interview performance then you will be successful in finding the job that you want. Career Services provides a full range of support including skills workshops in things like networking/telling & selling your story, etc. while everyone has access to individual career coaching. There are 5 Associate Directors who are actively developing recruiting relationships across all sectors and geographies. As I said above, when we last consolidated our figures in July, 82% of our Class of 2005 had jobs.

tess (Sep 7, 2005 10:31:35 AM)
Thanks Thiri but I would love to move away from any form of structured assessments!

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:31:49 AM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to Emma, Julia, Thiri, and Elizabeth for participating.

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:31:54 AM)
Luciana, you need to consider that we currently have nobody on the programme with a GMAT score of under 600, and our average is about 685. The adcom considers all aspects of an application, so if you think you can raise your score to a more competitive level it would probably be a good move.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:32:07 AM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats:

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:32:36 AM)
Recruiter Talk To MBA Applicants: Sept. 21 10:00 AM PT/1:00 PM ET/6:00 PM GMT

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:32:52 AM)
Forte Forum: Sept. 28 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:33:00 AM)
Haas: Sept. 29 10:00 AM PT/1:00 PM ET/6:00 PM GMT

Amrita (Sep 7, 2005 10:33:12 AM)
Many thanks!

TM (Sep 7, 2005 10:33:14 AM)
Thanks so much.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:33:24 AM)
Please check the Web site (http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.aspx#mba ) for further information.

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:33:34 AM)
If you would like to be notified of future MBA admissions events, please subscribe at http://www.accepted.com/chat/subscribe.aspx#MBA_Admissions .

PS (Sep 7, 2005 10:33:50 AM)
Thanks a lot! This has been really, really helpful!

EmmaBondLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:33:51 AM)
You're welcome - and good luck with your applications!

Thirimonlbs (Sep 7, 2005 10:33:54 AM)
Tess - you will definitely find the MBA quite practical. It's still academic to some degree but the assessments are really more of a way to get you to consolidate your learning more than anything else. Students take grades seriously (more out of personal pride) but I would say it is just one part of the MBA experience.

ZabettaLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:34:15 AM)
Good luck everyone.

JulieHopeLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:34:38 AM)
Good luck and hope to see you here in London

RachelCavalier ACCEPTED.COM (Sep 7, 2005 10:34:47 AM)
Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

Thirimonlbs (Sep 7, 2005 10:35:02 AM)
Best of luck!

MaryFerreiraLBS (Sep 7, 2005 10:36:50 AM)
Rachel. Thanks to The Forte Foundation and Accepted.com for hosting us during this chat. Also thanks to our helpers - especially Julie Hope from Career Services, Elizabetta Camilleri a London Business School MBA alumna who has taken time out in her busy work schedule and Thiri Mon who will be starting the second year of her MBA very soon. We hope to follow up these conversations with some of you at our face to face events such as the Forte Fora in the United States which are coming up very soon. Best of luck to everyone.

H (Sep 7, 2005 10:39:20 AM)
And thanks from me too - your answers have been a real help. To answer PS's question about consulting. I currently work for Booz Allen Hamilton and we definitely recruit from LBS - a number of my colleagues are alumni. We also have a summer interns programme that has been very successful.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room