2006 IMD MBA Admissions Chat with Janet Shaner

2006 IMD MBA Admissions Chat with Janet Shaner

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 9:55:46 AM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's International MBA Admissions Chat and the IMD room.

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 9:56:07 AM)
I also want to extend a special welcome to Janet Shaner, Director of MBA Marketing, and Helga Vanthournout, member of the IMD class of 2005.

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 9:56:14 AM)
Where is Helga's bio: I was born in Belgium and lived there until after got my first degree (Master in Environmental Engineering). I then went on to study in Sweden, where I met my American husband. Together, we lived in Germany, Canada, and Italy. I worked in Customer Service and Product Management for a company that designs and markets enterprise software and later in high-tech manufacturing. With five years of work experience I successfully applied to IMD's fulltime MBA program. This brought us to Switzerland and this time we're staying: in February I will join McKinsey and Company in its Geneva office.

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 9:56:32 AM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

amitabhcoomar (Jan 18, 2006 9:57:56 AM)
Janet, I am an Indian army officer. I want to know the significance of the input of financing the course asked for in the application. If I bank heavily on the loan through IMD would that reduce my chances of success?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 9:58:14 AM)
Hi Amit, your financial need has no influence on your acceptance decision.

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 9:58:26 AM)
Helga, what do you view as IMD's strengths?

bme (Jan 18, 2006 9:58:40 AM)
Second MBA: I already have an MBA degree. Does it disqualify me from the applying to the program?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 9:59:06 AM)
The intensity that a 10-month program inevitably brings is a focus on leadership and group dynamics and the composition of the student body which brings an extraordinary amount of learning in itself.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:00:05 AM)
Second MBA: It does not disqualify you, but we would want to understand what additional value a second MBA would bring to you.

david (Jan 18, 2006 10:00:31 AM)
Janet, can you please provide details about the family business center at IMD? What is the connection of the center to the MBA program?

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 10:00:59 AM)
Helga, what do you believe can be improved at IMD?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:01:22 AM)
David, you can find specific details about the family business program on our website. We have some classes on family business in the MBA program, but a focused number.

anilpasra (Jan 18, 2006 10:01:39 AM)
Janet: What is the average number of accepted IMD candidates applying for scholarships?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:01:39 AM)
I think several people had wanted the option of a pre-program training, for example, in accounting or finance. Saturday morning classes are hard too, but on the other hand it adds to the dynamic of the program. It is not an easy year on your family but it only takes you out of the workplace for one year.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:02:21 AM)
Anil, we have about 1/3 of our participants applying for scholarships.

restreit (Jan 18, 2006 10:02:33 AM)
Janet: How important is the applicant's age? I have a good track record and international experience, but am afraid I might be too young.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:03:13 AM)
Restreit, our age range is typically 27-35 and we require a minimum of 3 years work experience. The minimum work experience is not flexible.

david (Jan 18, 2006 10:03:34 AM)
Janet---can you please elaborate about the school's focus?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:04:13 AM)
David, IMD is about Real World, Real Learning. We focus on general management and leadership in a truly international environment.

martin (Jan 18, 2006 10:04:21 AM)
Janet, if you would give weightings to your admission criteria, what are the most important factors you consider important for a successful application?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:05:28 AM)
Martin, We look at the complete package of you. That means we have no specific weightings on the application. We want to understand you, what you will contribute to the program and how your objectives fit with what we can offer.

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 10:05:36 AM)
Janet, a computer glitch ate this question from Adeline. What is the percentage of graduates placed in Consulting, Finance, and Pharmaceutical?

DivyafromDublin (Jan 18, 2006 10:05:57 AM)
I was at the IMD campus during September and I really appreciated the environment you people have there. Amazing...just amazing.

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:06:05 AM)
Martin, considering the whole package. There are no "wrong" backgrounds but "unusual" backgrounds would be typical here.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:06:40 AM)
Adeline, 12% in consulting, 12% banking, 76% industry. Right now I don't have the pharmaceutical breakout.

Hemang (Jan 18, 2006 10:06:47 AM)
Janet, I plan to apply to IMD by Apr 1. I wanted to visit the campus in mid-May. Can I combine the campus visit with the interview, or do I need to wait for an invitation for the interview?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:07:18 AM)
Hemang, you must come to campus to interview, so I would wait to visit until you find out about the interview.

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 10:07:22 AM)
Helga: What has been your not-to-be missed class? Who has been your best professor?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:07:34 AM)
Divya, the environment and professionalism of all staff helps a lot. After all, you'll be spending a lot of time here.

adeline (Jan 18, 2006 10:07:44 AM)
Janet: Would you prefer a traditional MBA background namely consulting and finance to entrepreneurs?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:08:16 AM)
Linda, my favorite class was International Political Economics, maybe not an obvious MBA choice, but typical for IMD: You should always put your work into a larger context. The professor was Jean-Pierre Lehmann.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:08:29 AM)
Adeline, we have no "preferred" background. We look for diversity in our class so we want participants from all: consulting, finance, entrepreneurs.

martin (Jan 18, 2006 10:08:36 AM)
Janet and Helga, what makes IMD different from let's say IESE or INSEAD, apart from the nice mountains of course?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:09:32 AM)
Martin, I'll tell you what's special about IMD: 1 year program, more mature profiles, leadership focus, and more work experience, and only 90 participants.

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:09:47 AM)
Martin, the small group makes an enormous difference. You get a lot of personal attention (maybe unwanted on a Monday morning :) that helps, especially with the job search and career coaching. I could drop in with my career coach any time of day.

espoir (Jan 18, 2006 10:10:33 AM)
Hi Janet, I have noticed that the average age for part time participants (in the executive MBA) is much higher than the one for full time MBA. Do I have a chance in applying for the executive MBA knowing that I only have a 5 years experience and that I'm 28 years old?

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 10:11:34 AM)
Your comment leads to my next question, Helga: When do IMD participants have the opportunity to interact with professors outside of class?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:11:36 AM)
Espoir, The profile for the EMBA program (not a part-time program but done while you're working) is 14 years work experience and average age 38 years. It's not impossible for you, but you'd really have to demonstrate to them why the program would make sense for you.

DivyafromDublin (Jan 18, 2006 10:11:41 AM)
Janet in relation to GMAT, what is the option for a person if their GMAT score is low, say somewhere around 600? Is it the end of the road for that applicant?

DivyafromDublin (Jan 18, 2006 10:11:58 AM)
Helga are you in the '06 graduating class?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:12:42 AM)
No, I graduated in November 2005, so I am in the 2005 class.

martin (Jan 18, 2006 10:13:06 AM)
Helga: Is it not a disadvantage to have fewer alumni to network with?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:13:16 AM)
Divya, our GMAT range last year was 610-750. A GMAT in the low range doesn't count you out, but you should compensate by being strong in the other areas.

amitabhcoomar (Jan 18, 2006 10:13:24 AM)
Janet, being an army officer, I have no exposure to the corporate world. Would that greatly affect my performance in the impromptu presentation and the case study?

restreit (Jan 18, 2006 10:13:37 AM)
Janet: Is IMD interested in candidates with a background that is not in business, but intend to migrate? If so, how do you suggest such a candidate respond to specific questions like the budget under ones management?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:13:48 AM)
Martin, not at all. One of the things every applicant and current student comments on is the enormous responsiveness of the alumni network. So even though it is smaller, you get a lot out of it. Moreover, you have access to the alumni of all other IMD programs.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:14:20 AM)
Amit, we have had participants in our class from the US, Israeli and Australia military organizations for example. You'd want to try to relate your army organizational experience to what might happen in the corporate world and that is a very large group. Even people that participated in short programs feel quite attached and loyal to the school and are happy to help out.

espoir (Jan 18, 2006 10:14:56 AM)
Janet, could you tell us if the number of places available are equal in all rounds of application?

caroline (Jan 18, 2006 10:15:22 AM)
Helga, how difficult was your job search? What help did you get from the school?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:15:27 AM)
Restreit, again you would want to try to relate your experience to what would happen in a business setting. Organizations of all types need management and might have budgets.

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:16:03 AM)
Caroline, I would not say that the job search was a breeze, since in any case it is an emotional roller coaster but it was fairly straightforward. Although I had initially planned to apply with certain companies I stuck in the end only to the on-campus recruiting. Since there were so many and such diverse companies visiting, I had a large choice. Also, because the student body is so small, you can apply to as many on-campus companies as you want (I know this is restricted at certain other schools). In the end I had five job offers before graduation.

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 10:16:30 AM)
Wow, Helga!

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:16:37 AM)
Espoir, we don't have a fixed number of spaces we allocate to any deadline. If we could fill the program all in February, our lives would be easier. But normally we take participants from all the deadlines.

caroline (Jan 18, 2006 10:16:50 AM)
Janet, if I apply for the February 1st deadline, when do I know if I am invited for an interview and when do interviews happen?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:17:50 AM)
Caroline, normally within 6 weeks of the deadline we let you know if you are invited for an interview, so about March 15. You would select a day to interview probably within the month following that.

bme (Jan 18, 2006 10:18:17 AM)
It’s my understanding IMD put a lot of value on the international perspective and experience. On average, how many countries have your applicants worked/lived in? Is someone working for a mid-size local business at significant disadvantage as opposed to someone working for a multinational corporation?

hgj (Jan 18, 2006 10:18:46 AM)
Helga: Can you please comment on the IMD MBA Course Content? Do you think it is weak?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:18:55 AM)
Linda, this is not unusual. Many people had good choices to choose from.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:19:08 AM)
BME, in this year's class we have participants from 45 nationalities who speak an average of 3.5 languages. Most lived in more than one country.

amitabhcoomar (Jan 18, 2006 10:19:12 AM)
Janet, how much does a three year bachelors as opposed to a four year one affect the applicant?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:19:45 AM)
BME, again, we look for diversity - so no specific profile is at an advantage or disadvantage. It depends on you, your skills and your goals.

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:19:51 AM)
HGJ, no, I do not think it is weak at all, and apparently recruiters do not think so either. I would say that if you want to dive deep into finance, for example, you would not want to take this MBA. It is focused on general management, remember. So Finance is a function of other corporate activities.

espoir (Jan 18, 2006 10:19:56 AM)
Janet, could you tell us how the letters of recommendation weigh in the application process?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:20:05 AM)
Amit, we require the equivalent of a 4 year US university degree.

Windy (Jan 18, 2006 10:20:09 AM)
Helga, how have you benefited from the psychology coaching?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:20:41 AM)
Espoir, the letters of recommendation are an important part of your application. Although as I send previously, we don't have specific weights.

Hemang (Jan 18, 2006 10:20:58 AM)
Janet, I reside in America and plan to return to work here. Do recruiters from US come to IMD? Any examples?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:21:17 AM)
Windy, the coaching was great. The leadership stream exists of several different elements. There is Group Coaching, were at given times a trained psychologist follows your group (which was chosen by the program, not by you) and discusses events and emotions with the study group as a whole and with its members. Then there is an elective in which you can take 20 hours of Jungian analysis. This is also available at no cost to your partner if he/she wishes to take this. Everyone who took it (me included) is very enthusiastic about the analysis as it helps to understand and improve how you yourself (re)act and function in a group and in more or less difficult situations. IMD is very much focused on "small group dynamics" because that is where most business activities and decisions take place. And even if you think you're a good team player to begin with it is amazing how much you can grow in the intensity and challenge of a program like IMD's.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:22:40 AM)
Hemang, yes, we have US recruiters, though I would say that more so we have multinational companies recruiting for positions around the world. Normally about 10% of our class goes to work in the US. J.M. Huber is one US company who consistently recruits IMD graduates for the US.

espoir (Jan 18, 2006 10:24:44 AM)
Janet, is the part of your alumni working in international organization (word bank, UN, etc.) important?

hoze (Jan 18, 2006 10:25:35 AM)
helga, in effect you are saying that the IMD MBA is more about general management than any specialization. Is that correct?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:26:32 AM)
Hoze, that is correct. General management with a focus on leadership.

martin (Jan 18, 2006 10:26:56 AM)
After working 5 years abroad in Financial IT I am thinking about moving back home into my family's business (3 production facilities in Germany and 1 in the Czech Republic), which is in the automotive industry. I have a really hard time to convince my family of the advantage of an MBA as I have an advanced degree and professional qualifications already. What do you think is the single most important advantage of doing an MBA at IMD with this background?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:27:28 AM)
Martin, this MBA was my third masters'.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:28:23 AM)
Martin, I think there are two big advantages of an MBA. The people you meet and are challenged by and grow from in your class. And the opportunity to learn about all of the different facets of business: Finance, marketing, operations, etc. and how they all fit together to run a business.

amitabhcoomar (Jan 18, 2006 10:28:32 AM)
Janet, what would you recommend for preparation for the interview for the selected applicants?

martin (Jan 18, 2006 10:29:27 AM)
Helga: So why did you do this then? Did McKinsey not take you with those qualifications?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:29:28 AM)
Martin, this degree has much improved my confidence about moving around in the business world, beyond the technical knowledge that I had previously. I never thought of consulting before, barely knew what it was and I came at a point in my career where I wanted to consolidate what I already knew, and fill up the gaps. In the end, IMD offered a lot more learning than that. In fact, as Janet said, a very significant part of the learning comes from the student body and since with five years I was one of the "less experienced" people, there was a whole lot in it for me.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:29:29 AM)
Amit, it's similar to a job interview. Be yourself, know what you could bring to the IMD MBA class and know why it makes sense for you from your career objectives standpoint. And tell us those things.

amitabhcoomar (Jan 18, 2006 10:29:53 AM)
Janet, what options do Indians have as here the bachelors is a three year degree? Any specific recommendations?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:31:29 AM)
Amit, as I said, we look for a four year degree. We do make exceptions - but all of your other qualifications would have to be really strong as you are competing with other applicants with four year degrees and substantial work experience.

restreit (Jan 18, 2006 10:31:49 AM)
Janet: Has IMD accepted candidates with a legal background?

amitabhcoomar (Jan 18, 2006 10:32:21 AM)
Helga, how do you rate the experience of working with a 'start up' during the course?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:32:21 AM)
Restreit, my class had three lawyers in it.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:32:28 AM)
Restreit, the year before Helga, I think we had 7 lawyers. So that's a fine qualification.

adeline (Jan 18, 2006 10:32:41 AM)
Janet, which weights more, the final GMAT score or the balance between the verbal and quant scores?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:33:04 AM)
Amit, my experience was excellent. While I am not inclined to start for myself any time soon it is very useful to go through the motions of a startup, and see the do's and don'ts and it gives an enormous amount of satisfaction to add real value to the business.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:33:52 AM)
Adeline, we look at all 3 scores. We would be concerned with a big imbalance, i.e. a very high quant score and a very low verbal score. But otherwise we try to look at all the details and way them in the decision.

JDiazS (Jan 18, 2006 10:34:10 AM)
I don't know if you've covered this already, but how strict are the work experience requirements for application? My background is engineering and project management, with just over 3.5 years of experience.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:35:23 AM)
JDiazS, we require a minimum 3 years work experience so that's fine. You'd just want to remember that you're competing with people with more experience, so help us understand what unique things you will contribute to the class.

david (Jan 18, 2006 10:35:37 AM)
Janet---could you tell us about the importance of the social responsibility for IMD in the application?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:36:12 AM)
David, you're on my favorite topic. While IMD takes the view that this should be incorporated in any class and stream we had a whole module on Stakeholders in the summer, with about three weeks of classes on social responsibility. We had invited speakers from established and less established NGOs (one so fringe that we never got to hear the man's name...) and had lots of debates and simulations. Further, we had a strong focus on good governance in our accounting classes and many debates (based on personal experiences) in our International Political Economics classes.

espoir (Jan 18, 2006 10:37:21 AM)
Janet, could you tell us what importance entrepreneurship has in the program?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:38:25 AM)
Espoir, well the new program director for 2006 is a professor of entrepreneurship so that's a good indicator. Plus, we have entrepreneurship projects and a course focused on entrepreneurship.

restreit (Jan 18, 2006 10:38:58 AM)
Janet: Does the number of attempts on the GMAT have a negative impact on the application of a candidate?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:39:28 AM)
Restreit, we look only at your best GMAT score.

david (Jan 18, 2006 10:39:35 AM)
Janet - What is IMD's advantage for members of families who own family business?

caroline (Jan 18, 2006 10:39:48 AM)
Helga, you said that you grew much. Can you share with us in what respect?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:40:19 AM)
David, several people in my class who came from a family business had one-on-one sessions with members from the Family Business Center. They seemed very pleased with the support they received. Also, there is plenty of occasion to discuss family business examples in every class, since a significant percentage of the contributions come from the class.

david (Jan 18, 2006 10:41:22 AM)
Janet---Is the TOEFL needed for IMD?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:41:45 AM)
David, no. We require everyone to interview, so we test your English skills in person.

martin (Jan 18, 2006 10:41:52 AM)
Janet, as I think you are trying to balance each class geographically to create a good mix, which nations have the toughest and which the easiest competition to get in?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:42:12 AM)
Caroline, I used to do a lot of things intuitively in my work. I was at times insecure whether I did them the best way possible. I was able to overcome a lot of that. But more importantly the IMD program is such an intense and demanding program that graduating from it gives you the confidence that you can tackle difficult tasks and have the endurance to hang in there fore a long time. Plus the job search was very satisfying, of course.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:43:47 AM)
Martin, honestly it depends on the year. And we often have a class composed of participants in about the same proportion as our application pool. Keep in mind we look for diversity - and nationality is only one component of that diversity. We also look for your experience, your industry, and your other unique qualifications.

Ash (Jan 18, 2006 10:44:00 AM)
Janet, how easy is it for someone who has been out of school for 7-8 years to adjust to the demands of the IMD MBA?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:44:26 AM)
Ash, I can tell you it is not easy not even for someone who has been out of it for only 2 years, but the environment is so stimulating, and most of the learning not of the kind that requires learning by heart that it should be feasible for anyone with a keen mind. It is more a matter of wanting to spend your days (and a good part of your nights) learning new things. The diversity of the learning keeps it interesting at all times.

bme (Jan 18, 2006 10:44:34 AM)
Janet: Is there such a thing as “too much” experience?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:45:38 AM)
BME, our age range is typically 27-35. Once you get more experienced than that, we would really look for something unique that you would contribute to the class and also why it would make sense for you. Someone older might get bored with the "less experienced" crowd.

martin (Jan 18, 2006 10:46:20 AM)
Janet: So do you think one can learn entrepreneurship?

DAN (Jan 18, 2006 10:46:31 AM)
Helga---what is the most important thing that you took from your IMD MBA?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:47:30 AM)
Dan, knowing that I can handle anything, that I do not need to be afraid of any challenge that has to do with my new learning, as well as with my increased confidence based on experience.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:48:09 AM)
Martin, I think you can learn anything if you put your mind to it. In our entrepreneurship course, we try to help you learn what it takes to implement a vision, with limited resources, in a market that may not yet be able to grasp the potential of your product. These are leadership skills we believe can be applied in any business setting.

donna (Jan 18, 2006 10:48:24 AM)
Janet: Will a high GMAT compensates for a low GPA?

caroline (Jan 18, 2006 10:48:42 AM)
Helga, I heard that IMD MBA students do not get much sleep during the first 5 months. Can you share with us your experience?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:48:55 AM)
Donna, we tend to look more at the GMAT as compared to the GPA - because it's a more standard comparison across our international applicant base.

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:49:06 AM)
Caroline, I got at least six hours of sleep every night. That does not sound like a lot to me but it was slightly more than what many of my classmates got and more importantly, I now know that I can go on for months with that little sleep. But yes, expect fewer hours of sleep than what you are used to.

restreit (Jan 18, 2006 10:49:14 AM)
Janet: Is there a percentage of candidates that are selected to the interview or you invite all those candidates you find appealing?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:50:17 AM)
Restreit, we invite only selected candidates to interview - after carefully reading your application. Typically 1 out of 3 who apply are interviewed. About 50% of those who interview are invited to join the program.

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 10:50:24 AM)
Janet, if you are looking at an application and the numbers and basic profile is in the ballpark for an IMD student, what distinguishes an application that is accepted from one that is rejected?

DAN (Jan 18, 2006 10:50:36 AM)
Helga---can you elaborate about the clubs at IMD and the social life?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:50:50 AM)
Dan, what social life?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:51:12 AM)
Dan, this year's class is being very active, but then again, they just got started. There were soccer games and sailing, but other than that, everything was very much ad hoc so no clubs in my year. here are several people in class with a family and while it is not easy, it is manageable. My husband was happy about the amount of time I spent with him. The mountains are within reach so I did plenty of hiking and cross-country skiing last year.

JDiazS (Jan 18, 2006 10:52:11 AM)
Helga, you were just talking about social responsibility and I was wondering do the courses focus on cases from developed countries only or do you include scenarios from developing countries?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:52:14 AM)
Linda, what a person writes on the application is the biggest differentiator. Who they are, what have they accomplished, why does an IMD MBA fit with their objectives. It's really important to be yourself and help us understand you - because we're looking to fill the class with 90 unique participants who are willing contribute to the class and to make a difference with their MBA when they're finished.

Hemang (Jan 18, 2006 10:52:26 AM)
Janet/ Helga: Does IMD disclose grads?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:52:40 AM)
JDiazS, this year I understand the class is organizing clubs - so it also depends on the interests of the class.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:52:57 AM)
Hemand, it's our policy that we don't disclose grades.

bme (Jan 18, 2006 10:53:13 AM)
Janet: How important is social involvement (volunteering, etc.) for the IMD admission committee?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:54:46 AM)
BME, you would probably discuss social involvement relative to a specific question about your experiences, leadership abilities, etc. We don't look for it specifically, but perhaps it would be relevant as you answer one of the application questions.

amitabhcoomar (Jan 18, 2006 10:55:05 AM)
Janet, how is a non conventional background viewed by the recruiters?

espoir (Jan 18, 2006 10:55:26 AM)
Helga, could you tell what a typical day of an IMD MBA participant looks like? How much is spent on team work, tutorials and personal life?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:55:30 AM)
JDiazS, there were cases from developing countries (e.g., on pharmaceutical) but I would say that the balance is still from developed countries. This was a suggestion for improvement from our class (sorry, forgot to bring that one up earlier) and it seems that there has been a number of new cases added that will fill that gap.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:56:41 AM)
Amit, you always have to be bringing something to the recruiters. They are willing to consider a non-conventional background if you can convince them that skills you can bring will help them with what they need. In a non-conventional background that may require more work, but it's certainly possible.

Priya (Jan 18, 2006 10:56:53 AM)
Janet: Can I apply for Feb. 1 deadline and sit for GMAT in early February?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:57:39 AM)
Priya, if it's within the first week of February that's possible. But we won't review your application until it's complete - and that means you need a GMAT score.

serenash (Jan 18, 2006 10:58:05 AM)
Janet, if one has taken the GMAT three times and continues to score in the low 600's, would you recommend taking the GMAT again?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 10:59:36 AM)
Serenash, it's unlikely that your score would differ another time unless something in the situation has changed, for example, you have taken say a GMAT prep course that might have an impact on helping you improve your score.

JDiazS (Jan 18, 2006 10:59:38 AM)
Thanks Helga. Janet, if your application is denied in the first round, can you reapply in one of the remaining four or do you have to wait until the following year?

DAN (Jan 18, 2006 10:59:55 AM)
Helga--What is the teaching method in IMD? Case studies? Lectures?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 11:00:26 AM)
Espoir, classes start at 8 am, until noon. You have one and a half hours to go and enjoy the excellent lunch buffet (we all gained a few kilos from the dessert buffet) and relax. Classes from 1:30 until 5:30 pm (unless there is a special evening session, which is an exception). Then it depends a bit on what arrangements you made in your study group. Let's say 1-2 hours for dinner/break and then group work until 11pm or midnight. Then, at home, individual preparations for the next day. I would go to bed at 1am, and up at 7am. Classes also on Saturday mornings until noon. You also have group work/individual preparation in the weekend too. Let's say you could put in 3/4 of a day of other activities in the weekend, such as hiking.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 11:00:33 AM)
JDiazS, you would have to wait until the following year and even then I would try to understand what didn't work in your application and make sure you make some enhancements - for example, getting more work experience or getting more international experience.

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 11:01:27 AM)
Janet, do you provide feedback to rejected applicants?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 11:01:50 AM)
Linda, if applicants contact us and request feedback, yes, we will provide it over the telephone.

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 11:02:09 AM)
Do you have any advice for waitlisted applicants?

Priya (Jan 18, 2006 11:02:23 AM)
I am going to prep for the GMAT right now and hopefully take it on February second. Thanks for the help.

amitabhcoomar (Jan 18, 2006 11:02:40 AM)
Helga, seeing the packed nature of the course, would you recommend taking the family along?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 11:02:53 AM)
Linda, be patient and keep checking back with us periodically to show that you're still interested.

Ash (Jan 18, 2006 11:03:02 AM)
Janet, I got a masters degree in the US, where I now live and work. My bachelors degree was from India and it would be difficult to get 'official' transcripts from the school in India. Would you accept copies of transcripts notarized in the US?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 11:03:06 AM)
Dan, there is a lot of case work. There are a lot of presentations to give. Not so many individual assignments. Most classes are very varied, with a prepared case to begin with, a guest speaker maybe, some in-class exercises, and some pure lecturing and above all, a lot of participation from the class.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 11:03:52 AM)
Ash, I believe we accept copies of the transcripts if they are notarized that they are copies from your originals.

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 11:04:01 AM)
Helga, what do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 11:04:38 AM)
Linda, I wish I would have had some time off before the beginning of the program. I worked until Christmas eve and got started on January 3rd. I guess the adrenaline was still going but it would have been nice to get a break first and actually do all of my pre-program assignments.

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 11:04:40 AM)
Janet, from Hassap, how many students join private equity/VC after IMD?

DAN (Jan 18, 2006 11:05:04 AM)
Janet--- Is it possible that you ask the applicant to retake the GMAT in order to improve his score?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 11:05:43 AM)
Hassap, lots of people want to join private equity/VC after IMD, but it is an elusive industry. You have to have the right experience, and work quite hard at finding the right opportunity.

espoir (Jan 18, 2006 11:05:52 AM)
Helga, do you know among your mates women with young children. How do they manage organizing themselves? I have a 1 year old baby and I am very motivated.

amitabhcoomar (Jan 18, 2006 11:05:55 AM)
Janet, can a particular component of the application, say the references, reach after the deadline and yet the application is considered in that deadline?

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 11:06:42 AM)
Dan, If everything else about the candidate is very strong, yes we may ask you to retake the GMAT to improve your score. Assuming it was in a range that might be feasible to improve it into the range we require: last year typically 610-750.

JDiazS (Jan 18, 2006 11:07:02 AM)
In case IMD doesn't visit my homeland, can I be interviewed elsewhere?

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 11:07:24 AM)
Espoir, one of my friends had a four-month old  when she started. It is feasible. There are also men with small children in the program, and the program is supportive in any case. I can put you in touch with her if you want to hear her experiences.

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 11:07:36 AM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Janet and Helga.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 11:07:40 AM)
Amit, if we receive other parts of the application within the first week after the deadline, we will consider it. But we won't review your application until everything is complete..

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 11:07:44 AM)
It's been a great chat.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 11:08:14 AM)
JDiazS, all our interviews are in Lausanne - with the exception that we will interview May 18, 19 in Singapore.

HelgaVanthournoutIMD (Jan 18, 2006 11:08:24 AM)
For any further questions (other than stats), feel free to mail me at helga@fastmail.fm.

JanetShanerIMD (Jan 18, 2006 11:09:00 AM)
Thank you all for joining. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have additional questions.

david (Jan 18, 2006 11:09:10 AM)
Linda, Janet and Helga----Thanks a lot.

JDiazS (Jan 18, 2006 11:09:15 AM)
Thanks a lot to everyone, it's all been very helpful!

espoir (Jan 18, 2006 11:11:15 AM)
Thank you very much Janet and Helga!

Linda Abraham (Jan 18, 2006 11:11:41 AM)
Good luck with your applications! Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room