Michigan Ross MBA Admissions Chat with Soojin Kwon Koh

Michigan Ross MBA Admissions Chat with Soojin Kwon Koh

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 9:47:11 AM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com’s Michigan Ross Admissions Chat.

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 9:47:26 AM)
I also want to welcome Soojin Kwon Koh, Michigan's new Director of Admissions; Becky Shark, Associate Director of Admissions; and Mike McGoohan, Ross student.

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 9:47:46 AM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 9:48:16 AM)
Mike, could you tell us a little about yourself? What were you doing before b-school? What do you want to do after b-school?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Sep 6, 2006 9:49:52 AM)
I am a second year MBA student from Milwaukee, WI. Before Ross, I worked for Deloitte Consulting in Boston in their Strategy & Operations practice for 3 1/2 years. I came to Ross looking to switch careers into Sports Management or Real Estate.

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 9:50:00 AM)
Soojin and Becky, if you are looking at an application and the numbers and basic profile is in the ballpark for a Ross student, what distinguishes an application that is accepted from one that is rejected?

raj (Sep 6, 2006 9:50:05 AM)
Mike, please tell us the specifics of what you do in MAP? If you can give an example that would be great.

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 9:51:32 AM)
What distinguishes a candidate is his/her ability to articulate goals, why an MBA will help and why he/she wants to attend our program.

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 9:51:41 AM)
The content of the essays truly can differentiate applicants.

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 9:52:18 AM)
Soojin, what about that content? Is it presentation, articulation, the specifics?

JSS (Sep 6, 2006 9:52:35 AM)
Becky, how does Michigan integrate case studies into the curriculum?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Sep 6, 2006 9:54:16 AM)
For those of you that are not familiar, MAP is our Multidisciplinary Action Project, a cornerstone of the Ross Program. MAP is a seven week project where you work with 4-6 other first year students on a variety of different projects, from strategic planning to marketing plans to micro-financing, etc. For my MAP project, I worked for Chip Ganassi Racing, a NASCAR and IRL racing team. We worked on developing a strategic marketing plan for them. For me, it gave me a great window to see what it was like to work in the world of sports. It also allowed me to apply many of the marketing and strategy principles that I learned in my core classes. In the end, MAP is a great experience that allows students to apply their learning in a real professional environment.

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 9:54:53 AM)
Linda, in terms of essay content, we are looking for clarity of accomplishments, goals, fit with an MBA and with Ross. The essays should clearly show how an MBA fits into the applicant's goals. Applicants should understand what an MBA is for, what it gives you and link that to what they've done and what they want to do. If the link isn't clear, then we're left wondering why they applied for an MBA program in the first place.

J. Sobotta (Sep 6, 2006 9:55:06 AM)
Soojin, what can an applicant with limited work experience emphasize on the application to demonstrate a solid candidacy? Also, is a recommendation from a client an acceptable substitution if a second superior is not available?

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 9:55:12 AM)
JSS, many of our professors integrate case studies into the curriculum as group projects, meaning you would work as a team with your classmates to address the issue presented in the case. What Ross is really known for is Action Based Learning, as evidenced by Mike's example of MAP.

ni (Sep 6, 2006 9:55:24 AM)
Becky, how does Ross calculate GPA for their international applicants?

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 9:56:16 AM)
We receive applications from all over the world and are familiar with various grading systems.

JSS (Sep 6, 2006 9:56:36 AM)
Becky, what criteria is used to determine which applicants to interview once the application is submitted?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 9:56:48 AM)
J, applicants with limited work experience should try to highlight the impact they've had in their workplace - what improved because they were there, and the teamwork and leadership skills they've applied in the limited work experience that they've had.

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 9:57:31 AM)
Soojin, does Michigan have a required minimum amount of work experience?

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 9:58:09 AM)
Applicants may be invited to interview for a variety of reasons. It may be that we want to learn more about that particular candidate - something that wasn't addressed in the application.

JSS (Sep 6, 2006 9:58:20 AM)
Becky - can you elaborate on Action Based Learning some more?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 9:58:42 AM)
Linda, we don't have a minimum number of years of work experience. However, we've found that having work experience makes for a better MBA experience. On average, our students have 5 years of full time work experience.

raj (Sep 6, 2006 9:58:43 AM)
Mike, how did you research individual schools in general and Ross specifically?

chicago (Sep 6, 2006 9:59:06 AM)
Soojin: How many full consortium scholarship fellows did Ross sponsor last year? Is this an indication of how many fellows it will be able to sponsor this year?

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:00:10 AM)
There are many examples of Action Based Learning (ABL). Basically, it is the opportunity for our students to apply what they have learned in the classroom to a real-life business experience. Students can do this by participating in many activities that are offered at Ross. An example would be our Wolverine Venture Fund, where selected students manage a venture fund worth $3 million. The students actually determine which companies to invest in.

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:00:30 AM)
We sponsored over 40 full scholarships for Consortium fellows. We will likely be in that range again this year.

ni (Sep 6, 2006 10:00:56 AM)
Soojin: Does Ross give more weight to the GPA or GMAT score?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:01:13 AM)
I think that the best way to get to know a school is to come to campus to visit. That allowed me to get a feel for the campus life and community and to see if I could picture myself at the individual school. For me, fit is much more important than rankings.

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:01:27 AM)
Ni, they're both just one piece of the entire application. We don't weight the GMAT or GPA of those more heavily than other components of the application (e.g., the essays, recommendation letters, interview, etc.)

raj (Sep 6, 2006 10:01:46 AM)
Soojin: Are all applicants interviewed after submitting an application or is it only on a case basis? Can applicants get admitted without an interview?

M. Cuyegkeng (Sep 6, 2006 10:01:48 AM)
Mike, what would you say has been the best part (curriculum or aspect of education) of your Ross education experience?

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 10:02:34 AM)
How does Ross' Multi-disciplinary Action Project differ from a traditional internship or consulting project?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:02:38 AM)
Raj, no, we will invite a limited number of applicants to interview. All admitted students will have been interviewed.

wiriyaboy (Sep 6, 2006 10:03:02 AM)
Soojin: Can long working experience (more than 6 years) and quite a good GMAT (690) compensate for a very low GPA(2.36)?

M. Cuyegkeng (Sep 6, 2006 10:03:29 AM)
Becky: Would you regard MAP as the one aspect of Ross that sets it apart from all other B-schools? If it is not, what would you say is the most unique aspect of the Ross education?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:04:33 AM)
Linda, MAP is a full-time "course." For 7 weeks, students are working on MAP projects. It's different from a traditional internship or consulting project in that the purpose is for learning, it is not for pay and the projects have faculty advisors who work with the teams.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:04:53 AM)
The best part of my education experience has been my core marketing class with Professor Nordheilm. Prof. Nordheilm is one of the best professors that I have ever had as she pushed the students to defend their way of thinking and to learn new approaches to marketing problems. Her class is very interactive and involves the students creating their own case studies for the class, not HBS cases, which I think is a very innovative way to approach marketing issues as it keeps the issues current, relevant and interesting.

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:05:48 AM)
wiriraboy - All pieces of the application are considered as a whole. In addition to work experience, GMAT, and GPA, the essays, achievements, extracurricular activities, recommendation letters and interviews play an important role.

M. Cuyegkeng (Sep 6, 2006 10:06:04 AM)
Soojin, may I ask if interviews are required to be face-to-face or phone interviews are acceptable particularly for international students?

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:06:04 AM)
Yes, I would regard MAP as an aspect of Ross that sets us apart from other schools. It is the largest program of its kind. All of our students participate in it as part of the core curriculum. The range of MAP projects students can choose from is unparalleled. MAP really gives our students the opportunity to practice what they've learned, which gives them an advantage when they start their actual internship.

Rachel (Sep 6, 2006 10:06:13 AM)
Becky: Are you anticipating a rise or decline in applications this year?

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:07:00 AM)
Rachel - If this past year is any indication, I think we'll see an increase in applications again this year.

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:07:17 AM)
Interviews can be face to face, either on campus or with an alumnus in your local area, or they can also be by phone - again, either with an Admissions Committee member on campus or an alum.

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 10:07:40 AM)
Mike, what is the biggest benefit, lesson, or takeaway from your time so far at Michigan?

chicago (Sep 6, 2006 10:07:56 AM)
Becky: For those of us making a career shift, I love programs like the McCombs MBA Investments Fund LLC that allow us practical experience. Does Ross have any established programs (extracurricular or curriculum) that would allow us practical financial investment or banking experience?

ni (Sep 6, 2006 10:08:04 AM)
Soojin: Every school would like to have a mix of people from diverse educational and professional backgrounds. Does this imply that there are different sets of GMAT score requirements for engineers, social scientists, bankers?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:08:50 AM)
The admissions requirements are the same for everyone, regardless of background.

ni (Sep 6, 2006 10:09:03 AM)
Soojin: What percentage of the applications received last year did Ross accept?

Rachel (Sep 6, 2006 10:09:14 AM)
Becky, would you encourage applicants to apply in earlier rounds because of the expected increase in applications?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:09:38 AM)
About 30% of applicants were admitted last year.

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:10:13 AM)
Chicago- The Wolverine Venture Fund - more focused on start-ups, is the example that comes to mind. We also have a lot of company sponsored activities that students can participate in. Career changers have plenty of options to get practical experience at Ross.

JSS (Sep 6, 2006 10:10:21 AM)
Soojin: What types of services does Ross's career center provide for those individuals looking for a change in careers (e.g., assistance on developing a strategy to make a change, professions that are well suited to an individual's personality, etc.)?

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:10:40 AM)
Rachel- I would recommend applying in either Round 1 or Round 2.

>>M. Cuyegkeng (Sep 6, 2006 10:11:19 AM)
Becky: Related to Rachel's question, is there any advantage between applying for the first deadline as compared to the second deadline?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:11:27 AM)
My biggest takeaway from Michigan thus far is how important it is to surround yourself with people that are not only strong leaders, but also people that you like. Michigan's alumni network is very powerful and the quality of the people in the Ross community is outstanding. For me, I am very happy that I chose to become part of the broader Michigan network as I see it paying dividends for years to come personally and professionally.

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:11:50 AM)
Our Office of Career Development is outstanding. They provide individual counseling sessions, resume assistance, mock interviews, workshops on preparing for interviews, peer counselors who've also changed careers or who may have worked in the industry or company that you're interested in going into.

wiriyaboy (Sep 6, 2006 10:12:44 AM)
Soojin: How can a low GPA be improved apart from high GMAT and long working experience?

ni (Sep 6, 2006 10:13:01 AM)
Becky: Some b-schools are stronger at international business, some at finance, some at IT. What is Ross strong at?

raj (Sep 6, 2006 10:13:15 AM)
Linda, this is a very useful chat session. thanks.

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 10:13:24 AM)
You're most welcome. More are coming up.

raj (Sep 6, 2006 10:13:55 AM)
Becky and Mike: I am planning to visit Ross school in the last week of Sept. Any suggestions on how I can make that visit productive?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:13:55 AM)
I would make sure that you come for a class visit so that you can see school in action. Fridays at Ross we do not have classes so that means you will have to come in on Thursday. Also, I would suggest attending the weekly happy hour on Thursday night at Scorekeepers, which will give you the opportunity to interact with many students in an informal setting. My last piece of advice would be to come to Michigan on a football weekend and stay for a game. There is no better way to see what makes Michigan special than to attend a game at the Big House.

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:14:23 AM)
wiriyaboy - You could take post-undergraduate classes to improve a low GPA.

ole (Sep 6, 2006 10:14:36 AM)
Soojin, could you say which pool of applicants is most competitive - based on area of origin?

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:14:50 AM)
Ni, I'm happy to say that Ross is strong across the board.. We're rated in the top 5 in the major business disciplines. This really gives our students the ability to get a broad-based management education or they can focus on a specific area if they want. Either way, they are assured a top-notch education.

M. Cuyegkeng (Sep 6, 2006 10:14:54 AM)
Yes, I agree that it's very useful. Thank you for the questions and the prompt answers from our hosts. Well-appreciated.

JSS (Sep 6, 2006 10:15:27 AM)
Becky: In addition to professional recommendations, how does Ross feel about receiving another recommendation from a current student and/or an alum?

SS (Sep 6, 2006 10:15:35 AM)
Mike: If you had to state 3 observations about Ross' program (positives or negatives), what would they be?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:16:32 AM)
Ole, no. We select top applicants from every region.

Tai (Sep 6, 2006 10:16:36 AM)
Soojin, I read that Stanford is beginning to accept GRE scores for their MBA program. Do you anticipate that Michigan will make a similar move in the future? Also, are there any plans for the creation of a one-year MBA program?

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:16:37 AM)
JSS- They can be helpful, but more weight is placed on the professional recommendations.

raj (Sep 6, 2006 10:16:50 AM)
Becky: How can I set up appointment with the Zell Lurie institute? Can I call the office of admissions for that?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:17:11 AM)
For me, the three most important factors in my decision to attend Ross were: 1) Ross has an outstanding alumni network that is extremely willing to help you with your career pursuits. It does not matter whether you were a Ross graduate or an LS&A undergrad. Once you are at Michigan, you are in the larger "Go Blue" network, which represents the largest living alumni network in the world. 2) Ross has an outstanding general management education with professors that are second to none. For me, this was very important when choosing a program as I wanted the program to be well-rounded, .i.e. not strong in only finance or marketing, but strong in all programs. I have seen this to be true here at Ross. 3) Ross has a very special and unique student community. Co-creation is a reality here and students come here to help each other become better people and better leaders. Ross students are generally very driven, but humble, nice and well-rounded. It is a group of people that I want to surround myself with for the rest of my life. The Ross community is the biggest differentiator for me between Ross and other MBA programs.

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:17:13 AM)
At this time, we have no plans to accept GRE scores, nor do we have any plans for a one year MBA.

chicago (Sep 6, 2006 10:17:32 AM)
Soojin: What is the deadline to apply for your diversity weekend?

melvisf (Sep 6, 2006 10:17:38 AM)
Mike: What do most people do on Fridays if there are no classes? (Work, study, etc.)

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:18:02 AM)
raj- You can call Zell Lurie directly. Their information is available on our website.

raj (Sep 6, 2006 10:18:19 AM)
Becky: Does the adcom "pool" applicants before deciding who to accept? For example, are all engineering IT types clubbed together?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:18:32 AM)
The deadline for UpClose, our diversity weekend, is October 6.

JSS (Sep 6, 2006 10:18:42 AM)
Soojin: How does Ross's program instill collaboration between students of different backgrounds? Also, how does Ross's environment encourage interaction among students - i.e., networking?

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:19:28 AM)
Raj- While we do strive for a diverse class in terms of work background, we do not pool applications together.

J. Sobotta (Sep 6, 2006 10:19:41 AM)
Becky: What advice could you give to an applicant from a professional background not traditionally associated with future MBA students, i.e. small business?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:21:16 AM)
Collaboration happens both by design - through pre-assigned study groups in your first year core classes, as well as by initiative later in electives. The students at Ross seem to do much of it on their own especially through the clubs that they join, which is not dependent on backgrounds. Rather, club membership, whether career focused clubs, social clubs or other clubs, are based on interest, not backgrounds.

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:21:16 AM)
J.- I would give you the same advice as anyone else. You should really know yourself, your goals and how an MBA will help you reach these goals. We like to see non-traditional candidates!

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 10:21:24 AM)
Soojin, how is recruiting anticipated to be this year? Are there more expected to recruit on campus this year than last? Are any sectors particularly active or more active than they have been since 2006 (last year)?

raj (Sep 6, 2006 10:22:14 AM)
Becky: Roughly what percent of students get financial aid and does Michigan have a loan program which makes it easy for students to pay the high tuition?

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 10:22:40 AM)
Mike: Do you have advice for prospective MBA's that may make their transition back to student life easier? What could make those first few weeks as an MBA student easier?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:23:23 AM)
We anticipate that recruiting will be strong again next year. We had strong results across all industries this past year. More than 3,000 on campus interviews conducted, and another 1,000+ job postings on our internal posting site.

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 10:23:36 AM)
Wow!

wiriyaboy (Sep 6, 2006 10:23:43 AM)
Soojin: When Ross is on the MBA tour, could I do something upon meeting the school's rep such as arrange an interview because I'm submitting the application in the first round?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:23:55 AM)
At Ross, we have no classes on Fridays which provides the students with much needed time to have group meetings, work on clubs or other extracurricular involvements or to interview/ make company visits. Even though we have no class on Fridays, Fridays tend to be some of the busiest days for students here.

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:24:07 AM)
Raj-off the top of my head, I don't know the percentage of students who receive financial aid, but I do know that most of them do. We have a loan program called CitiAssist which is a guaranteed loan for all of our students. The interest rate is competitive and you can borrow up to the cost of the program (tuition, books, living expenses).

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 10:24:27 AM)
Becky, does the loan require a co-signor for international applicants?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:24:45 AM)
wiriyaboy - depending on which city you're in, you could attend one of our Ross receptions. Check out our website. Interviews will be by invitation only. You should also consider visiting campus. It's a great way to get to know the school and what we have to offer. You can talk to current students, sit in on a class, etc.

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:24:47 AM)
Linda- no, it doesn't require a co-signor.

chicago (Sep 6, 2006 10:25:01 AM)
Soojin: Do you have any student input on your admissions committee and decision making process?

JSS (Sep 6, 2006 10:25:09 AM)
Becky or Mike: What type of programs are available at Ross for spouses? Do those programs provide professional placement services?

chicago (Sep 6, 2006 10:25:14 AM)
Will your career development office be having a chat online also?

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 10:25:37 AM)
Actually Accepted.com and Ross are co-hosting Talent Seekers Speak, a chat with MBA recruiters. We think it is important for you to know what your future employers value too. September 20.

SS (Sep 6, 2006 10:26:28 AM)
Mike: Is there anything you would like to see improved in Ross' program?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:27:05 AM)
Chicago - yes, we do have student input on our admissions decisions. We select a group of second year MBAs to serve on the Admissions Student Committee who are trained to assist us with application evaluations.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:27:15 AM)
In terms of advice to make the transition to being a student easier, I would suggest taking the summer off before starting school so that you can be well-prepared when school starts. There is nothing worse than showing up to school and scrambling to get your new apartment/house ready as well as figure out your schedule, etc., on top of meeting all of your new classmates. I would take some time to relax and reflect the summer before so that you have a clear head about your goals, both personal and professional, before you enter the program. The MBA experience is an intense 2 year rollercoaster ride and the clearer you are with your goals, the better experience that you will have. I also highly suggest traveling as much as possible as there will likely be no other time in your life (except for when you graduate) when you have the free time to do what you want.

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:28:27 AM)
JSS- we have a club dedicated to spouses and significant others called the "Ross Partners Club". They are instrumental in helping our students' partners acclimate to Ann Arbor, etc. They are also helpful with networking for jobs. Our Office of Career Development will assist partners with job search tactics when they have the capacity to do so. Also, many of our students' partners work at the University in some capacity.

raj (Sep 6, 2006 10:28:35 AM)
Becky: If I am in the class of 2009 and in my second year the American economy is in a recession, how confident is Ross that most of its students will get a job after having invested upwards of a 100k? For example, for the class of 2001 what was the placement rate?

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 10:30:00 AM)
Soojin, are there any special considerations for re-applicants at Ross? Should re-applicants obtain recommendations from different recommenders?

raj (Sep 6, 2006 10:30:47 AM)
Mike, how is Ann Arbor and what does the city offer which is attractive to MBA students?

BeckySharkRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:30:50 AM)
Raj-Our students have a very high placement rate. I don't have the exact numbers at my disposal, but I know that even when the economy takes a dip, our students find jobs. We are a core recruiting school for many major companies in practically every industry. Also, our alumni network is very strong, which is very helpful to our students in their job searches.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:31:08 AM)
In terms of improvements, my class wanted to have a more robust leadership training program than the one that we started with at Ross. Several students met with administration and this year, we rolled out a new Ross Leadership Program that has received strong reviews. In general, the administration is very pro-active in responding to students' concerns and Ross is definitely a school that is run by its students. I am confident that if I see the need for further improvements that we have enough outlets so that our concerns will be heard and action will be taken. This is a very important factor for me in improving the quality of our education and life here at Ross.

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:31:36 AM)
Re-applicants must submit an updated resume, new application forms, one new recommendation, and a cover letter discussing experiences since the last application.

ole (Sep 6, 2006 10:34:47 AM)
Soojin: Do you have experience with both partners studying at Ross?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:35:17 AM)
There are a few partners here. Sometimes a partner decides to get their MBA after the first year.

JSS (Sep 6, 2006 10:35:35 AM)
Can we get more particulars about the Ross Leadership Program that was recently developed and implemented?

M. Cuyegkeng (Sep 6, 2006 10:36:56 AM)
Soojin, is an applicant at a disadvantage if they can't come for a campus visit for whatever reason?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:37:41 AM)
Ann Arbor is a great place to go to school. There are advantages to going to school in a large college town - there is a lot of diversity in terms of social events, speakers, theatre, etc. that many other areas cannot offer. I also think there is an advantage to going to school in a smaller town because it limits the options of the students to go into the city to go out, etc. I think this fosters a stronger community and network among the students here and contributes to why Michigan has such a strong alumni base.I am a big city person and I have never felt bored here in Ann Arbor. There is too much to keep you busy in business school and there is definitely an advantage to going to school in a city that is easy to get around, etc.

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:39:06 AM)
No, M. If you have the time and resources to visit, of course it is highly encouraged. But applicants who don't visit are not at any disadvantage from those who are able to visit..

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 10:40:02 AM)
Soojin, how do you use the interview in the admissions process?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:41:25 AM)
The interview will be considered as one piece of the overall application. The purpose is for us to get a little more information about the applicant.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:41:43 AM)
For future questions, we have a group of 50 students that serve as Ross Ambassadors. You can access their profiles and contact information off of the admissions website. I would go there and email people depending on the profile/nature of your questions. My information is posted there as well so if I am the best person to contact, please feel free to email me.

raj (Sep 6, 2006 10:42:02 AM)
Soojin: How can an applicant better prepare for a Ross interview?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:42:20 AM)
RLP is a week long student orientation that kicks off your experience at Ross. The week consists of CEOs coming in and speaking to the students about leadership and the necessary qualities of being a good leader, as well as you learning about what you do well and what you can improve upon. There are also sessions about how to manage your time and health at business school, along with the importance of diversity in business. Students also participate in a day-long community service event with their sections and engage in team-building activities with your section. RLP has been very positively received this year and the hope is that it will serve as a framework for leadership development during your time here at Ross.

M. Cuyegkeng (Sep 6, 2006 10:42:25 AM)
Mike, would you say that the community of Ann Arbor is predominantly American or the distribution of international races is rather large as well?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:43:37 AM)
The best advice to prepare for an interview would be to know yourself - be able to articulate your experiences and goals clearly. Know why an MBA makes sense. Know the school and why that school makes sense for you. Practice your listening skills. Be sure you answer the question that was asked, clearly and succinctly.

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:45:15 AM)
Simple essay advice - write clearly. Have someone proofread it for you so there are no errors and you have the right school name in there.

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 10:45:41 AM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Soojin, Becky, and Mike.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:45:43 AM)
Ann Arbor is a very diverse community. There are people of all backgrounds and consequently, there is a lot of culture here as well.

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 10:45:49 AM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats.

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 10:46:18 AM)
If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list.

Linda Abraham (Sep 6, 2006 10:47:30 AM)
Good luck with your applications!

melvisf (Sep 6, 2006 10:47:50 AM)
Thanks all! This was very helpful

M. Cuyegkeng (Sep 6, 2006 10:47:50 AM)
Thank you Soojin, Mike and Becky! The information was very helpful.

ole (Sep 6, 2006 10:48:00 AM)
Soojin; Does Ross follow forced curve grade distribution?

SoojinKohRoss (Sep 6, 2006 10:49:14 AM)
Generally, yes. but more importantly, grades are not disclosed to employers so no one will know your grade except you and the faculty member.

raj (Sep 6, 2006 10:50:45 AM)
Thanks all for the valuable info.

chicago (Sep 6, 2006 10:55:03 AM)
Thanks. ciao.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room