Chicago GSB Admissions Chat with Rose Martinelli

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 9:46:29 AM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com’s Chicago Admissions Chat.

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 9:46:29 AM)
My name is Amir and I'm a current GSB student. Prior to B-school I worked in corporate finance in the energy industry, and I am currently looking to get into investment management. Looking forward to your questions.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 9:46:50 AM)
One of our students, Jorge Gallardo, will not be joining us due to a family emergency. We look forward to answering your questions.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 9:46:53 AM)
I am Linda Abraham, founder of Accepted.com. I will be the host and moderator today.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 9:47:07 AM)
Ok. I hope everything is all right with Jorge.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 9:47:13 AM)
But thanks to you and Amir for joining us.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 9:47:26 AM)
I also want to welcome our special guests today: Rose Martinelli, Chicago's Associate Dean of Student Recruitment and Admissions and Amir Friedman, GSB student..

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 9:47:45 AM)
Our pleasure. Let's start with questions.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 9:47:51 AM)
Amir, I was going to ask you to tell us about yourself, but you beat me to it.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 9:48:52 AM)
First of all I want to congratulate you on Chicago’s #1 in Businessweek’s ranking.

AnuragJain (Oct 16, 2006 9:49:20 AM)
I have a re-applicant questions. I applied for Fall 2005 and was denied. Now, I am planning to apply again. If I see the essays for the re-applicants from 2005, the first essay on the website is the 500 word re-applicant essay (what has changed since the last application?). However, on the online application itself, I see that the essay is actually the classic goals essay (1500 words). Which one should I be working on?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 9:49:27 AM)
Thanks. It is wonderful to be recognized.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 9:50:16 AM)
Anurag - You should use the re-applicant essay. If you need extra room in the essay, take it. Our word limits are actually guides.

rk (Oct 16, 2006 9:50:33 AM)
Amir, What do you think sets GSB apart from other business schools?

Skii (Oct 16, 2006 9:51:38 AM)
Rose: I think my case might be a little different.....I am an IT guy with an IT degree working presently with Accenture in a non-IT domain. My prior organization was Hp, purely Technical. Do u think this sudden job transition would dampen my application?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 9:52:56 AM)
Skii - Lots of folks who apply to Chicago GSB are career changers. What is most important is that you can speak to why you think an MBA is important to your development at this point in time. We have lots of engineers making transitions to no technical careers.

rk (Oct 16, 2006 9:53:10 AM)
For a re-applicant, are his previous year essays also read along with current essays when making a decision?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 9:53:49 AM)
RK - we will have your prior applications in the file for reference, but will pay most attention to your current application.

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 9:54:09 AM)
I think that the main distinctions of the GSB are our system of values, which involve teamwork and an environment of rigorous debate. We are encouraged to consistently question and challenge ideas - to better learn from one another. Also, the flexible curriculum sets us apart. You end up meeting most of the first and second year class by the time you leave.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 9:54:24 AM)
Amir, what do you like best at Chicago? What would you like to see improved?

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 9:54:27 AM)
Rose: What’s new at Chicago? Other than the BW recognition.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 9:56:56 AM)
Our value system of questioning everything means that much is new every year -- from course content, student groups to recruiters coming to campus. On the admissions front, we're are trying to attract students earlier in their careers (0-3).

rk (Oct 16, 2006 9:57:28 AM)
Rose: When reapplying , does it hurt one's chances if the career goals have changed from past year application essays?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 9:58:13 AM)
RK - Absolutely not, but you might want to tell us why they have changed and what introspective process led to the change. We recognize that many applicants are exploring career options at the point of the application process.

Inclined (Oct 16, 2006 9:58:20 AM)
Rose, with the Quant-heavy focus on the curriculum, how do you evaluate an applicant from NGO background

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 9:59:35 AM)
I personally place a very high value on the ability to custom-tailor the curriculum to my desired interests and career paths. As an example, I am currently pushing myself and taking Eugene Fama's Phd class. As the the second point, one of the features of this vibrant community is that when you do see an issue that might warrant improvement, you can take the initiative to make that improvement - very much a 'free market' system. As an example, if there is a specific niche or club we don't have that you are interested in - you are free to start it.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 9:59:41 AM)
Inclined -- I would say that Chicago has an analytical focus -- problem solving through multiple disciplines. Chicago's flexibility provides students with very little quant background to get up to speed quickly. Students select their core coursework from a variety of options, based on interest and ability. This is one of Chicago's unique strengths.

Skii (Oct 16, 2006 9:59:43 AM)
Amir ...if you were asked to give your best friend an advice on what NOT to do in the application, what  would that be?

rk (Oct 16, 2006 9:59:50 AM)
Rose, Does it mean that those with more than 3 yrs experience will have a tougher time during admissions?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:00:47 AM)
RK - The timing to pursue an MBA is a very individual choice -- some people are ready at 1 year, while others at 8 years. Being able to articulate why now is important.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:01:03 AM)
Rose: When you evaluate an application, what are the three most important qualities you want to see before you will vote to admit an applicant?

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:01:35 AM)
Skii - First and foremost, I would give the advice to be genuine. Tell us who you really are and demonstrate your fit into this community.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:02:04 AM)
Linda - Great question. Self awareness, community orientation and passion/drive.

Guest (Oct 16, 2006 10:02:25 AM)
I am a re-applicant from last year. How carefully do you scrutinize the last year's application?

Joeshua (Oct 16, 2006 10:02:32 AM)
Dear Rose, from my current research it applies that Chicago's reputation and key strength rests strongly in analytical ability; can you comment on the school's offer/focus/strengths or weakness in cultivating team work, communication skill, and ability to gather support in a difficult environment, as well as the alumni network?

engee (Oct 16, 2006 10:03:29 AM)
Amir, I know that Chicago boasts of a large number of Nobel prize winners on the faculty. Do these profs actually teach MBA classes or are most of them lectures/seminars/etc for PhD students?

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:04:50 AM)
All of our Nobel laureates teach. As an MBA student you have access to taking their courses (provided you meet all the prerequisites).

Skii (Oct 16, 2006 10:04:59 AM)
Amir..and what do u suggest if an applicant is unaware of the what the GSB is looking for, like the fit in the community you stated. How would you define the GSB community?

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:05:02 AM)
Skii, I would suggest you do research to learn about the community. Attending chats like this one is the beginning of that research.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:05:06 AM)
Joeshua - Chicago's has a very holistic approach to educating each individual. We recognize that each person comes from a different background and has different aspirations. Everything at Chicago is built on teaching you how to think, present, debate and teach others. Our LEAD program focuses on much of the softer skills and identifying how you are perceived by others. Leadership is a lifelong learning process. Chicago will provide you with lots of opportunities to develop your personal leadership style.

Marathoner (Oct 16, 2006 10:06:05 AM)
Hi Rose My GMAT scores are 550 (first attempt)-> 620 (second attempt) -> 660 (third attempt). I belong to the Indian IT applicant pool. I have 6 years of work exp. What should my GMAT score be to stay competitive? How will GSB view my scores? Should I try another attempt and raise my score to 690, 700 or 710? How will GSB view my application in those cases? I understand that GSB views the entire package before concluding anything. However, my understanding is that any score below average is generally not very competitive. Please give your views.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:07:50 AM)
Marathoner - I'm glad you recognize that the GMAT is only one part of the application. Our 80th percentile range is 650-760. If you fall in that range you should be fine. Bottom line is that your scores should reflect your true ability. Lots of folks are not great test takers, and at the GSB, the GMAT is just one of many aspects that are used to come up with our final decision.

ReApplicant (Oct 16, 2006 10:08:24 AM)
Hi Rose: I am a re-applicant and I chose not to submit my application in the first deadline because there hadn't been sufficient time (9 months) since my last application. I am planning to submit my application in the January round when I would be able to address all concerns in the feedback session. My question is : Is applying in Jan deadline too late for a re-applicant?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:09:11 AM)
Reapplicant - Applying in round 2 as a re-applicant is fine. The quality of your application is much more important than the timing.

AlabamaGene (Oct 16, 2006 10:09:23 AM)
Rose, I'm very interested in operations (Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, etc.). Do you feel Chicago would be a good fit for someone like me? I have found relatively little mention of operations in the view book, website, etc. (I'm also interested in quant and finance, which is what drew me to Chicago to begin with.) Thanks!

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:09:56 AM)
Skii - I'd recommend personally visiting us and meeting students to learn more about our community. In more general terms, our community is a class of 550 that is divided into cohorts of about 60, and smaller groups within each cohort. The flexibility of our curriculum allows students to meet and interact with a significant portion of the first and second year class - so you do end up building your network right from the start.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:10:01 AM)
For both of you, do you have any tips before Wednesday’s Oct. 18 deadline?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:10:50 AM)
AlabamaGene - Chicago actually has a very strong operations department. While there are not as many students who solely pursue this concentration, many students take many courses in this area. We have some of the best faculty in the world teaching in this discipline.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:11:37 AM)
Tips - make sure that your present a holistic picture of yourself -- professionally, personally, community and what you think you will contribute to the GSB.

AlabamaGene (Oct 16, 2006 10:11:57 AM)
Glad to hear that. As a follow-up, what areas would you say Chicago is particularly outstanding in? I assume finance would be one?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:12:24 AM)
Tip - We will be accepting recommendations for up to a week after the deadline for those of you stressing that your recommenders are running behind. All you need to do to get this extension is to submit by the application deadline.

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:12:56 AM)
Chicago is known for finance, but we have excellent departments in all areas of business, such as marketing, management, and entrepreneurship.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:13:20 AM)
AlabamaGene - The top concentrations include Finance, Entrepreneurship (both from the practitioner and the investor perspectives), Strategic Management, Marketing & Economics.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:13:27 AM)
Amir, how have you taken advantage of Chicago's famed flexibility?

daamoore (Oct 16, 2006 10:13:43 AM)
Is it possible to demonstrate brain power despite a low GMAT or GPA? For example, with a person with an impressive number of scholarly publications and a low GPA (2.8) be deemed as capable as a person with a high GPA and no publications?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:15:38 AM)
Daamore - Academic capability is important for the GSB since intellectual curiosity is one of the characteristics we seek in successful candidates. I would make sure that you explain your GPA and GMAT if you feel it does not represent your ability. Publications are nice, but it cannot overcome a poor academic record without some explaining.

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:16:00 AM)
As I mentioned previously, I've pushed myself and taken Phd classes. Also, I have a background in business, which allowed me to mitigate any overlap and really focus on developing breadth in areas that were of interest to me. You won't find 2 students with the same schedule at the GSB. In terms of meeting and working with people it's great.

Skii (Oct 16, 2006 10:16:02 AM)
Rose: Is there some dead shot formula or some ritual that could for sure get you in to GSB?  I desperately want to get into GSB and no other B-school....

rk (Oct 16, 2006 10:16:08 AM)
Amir, there were some concerns about Part time students and full timers having access to the same recruiters. What have been your observations? Also, does GSB still allow that?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:17:48 AM)
Skii -- Unfortunately, we haven't created a ritual yet. The most important thing is to be yourself. No single aspect of the application will get (or prevent) you from being admitted. I'll look into the ritual thing for next year. LOL

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:18:02 AM)
Maybe a magic bullet will do.

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:18:09 AM)
rk - Evening/Weekend students are rarely given access to internship recruiting, but for full-time recruiting they do have some opportunities to recruit with the full-time class.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:18:12 AM)
Only a silver one!

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:18:17 AM)
LOL.

Skii (Oct 16, 2006 10:18:34 AM)
ohh sure...that would be great.....Please let me be the first one to know

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:18:43 AM)
Amir, at this point in time, roughly half way through your MBA program, what is the biggest take-away from your GSB experience? How are you will you lead or manage differently as a result of your GSB experience?

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:18:58 AM)
Rose: What do you anticipate in terms of application volume this year as opposed to last?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:19:57 AM)
Joeshua - Chicago does have a joint degree with the Harris School of Public Policy. It's a tremendous program that helps you both to understand the business and policy aspects impacting society today. More information about their offerings can be found on our website under joint-degrees.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:20:26 AM)
Linda - I expect applications to be up a bit this year according to some of the GMAT test registration trends.

AnuragJain (Oct 16, 2006 10:20:36 AM)
Rose: How many applicants typically apply in the first round and how many seats are filled up after the first round?

rk (Oct 16, 2006 10:20:38 AM)
Does an applicant for second round face a disadvantage if the number of applicants for first round spikes up by say 50% this year?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:21:30 AM)
Anurag -- Typically we get around 1500 applications and the amount of students admitted has more to do with quality than with anything else. I imagine we'll admit around 300 if the quality is there. It all depends...

Guest (Oct 16, 2006 10:21:49 AM)
Rose: Approximately how many graduate assistantships are awarded in each in coming class, and how do you get one?

ReApplicant (Oct 16, 2006 10:21:58 AM)
Rose: typically what percentage of re-applicants get an admit ( based on empirical data )

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:22:21 AM)
RK - I'm a numbers kind of gal -- so I will not over admit on any round until I have seen the following round of applicants. If we spike 50% like you mention, I would be incredibly surprised!

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:22:26 AM)
Rose, How is recruiting going this year?

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:23:03 AM)
Linda, my biggest take-away is my class of 550 remarkable students that I can now freely call upon, professionally and personally. As far as how I would lead or manage differently - having gone through this transformational experience, I think that I now possess the ability to listen better, to hear others, to be more inclusive of others, to manage both up and down the chain...there are elements of our LEAD program that I will always remember and utilize.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:23:08 AM)
ReApplicant -- I would say around 20% of our admits each year are re-applicants. Since I've only been on board for 1 1/2 years, I don't have a lot of early data to provide.

ReApplicant (Oct 16, 2006 10:23:42 AM)
That's really encouraging :)

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:24:05 AM)
Amir, what has been your favorite class? Professor?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:24:37 AM)
Linda -- we are just winding up our fall recruiting. This is our annual Women's Week where our alumnae are hosting receptions in 36 cities around the world. We will be back out on the road in November and December.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:25:06 AM)
Rose, sorry. I meant hiring.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:25:19 AM)
Like what, Amir?

Skii (Oct 16, 2006 10:25:45 AM)
Rose: and do u think that an extremely high GMAT score can compensate for a near the edge GPA score?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:26:00 AM)
Linda - we had a terrific recruiting year last year, and according to Julie Morton our Associate Dean of Career Services, we have more companies coming to campus this fall then before. Should be an outstanding year.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:26:10 AM)
Thanks.

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:26:17 AM)
Favorite classes, personally, have been Portfolio Management, Financial Institutions and Markets (all about bankruptcy), Competitive Strategy, New Venture Strategy

hitman (Oct 16, 2006 10:26:30 AM)
Amir, how do you see subjective issues such as 'risk' and 'ethics'?

hitman (Oct 16, 2006 10:26:33 AM)
Amir, which professor do you think you'll miss the most and why?

nd (Oct 16, 2006 10:26:49 AM)
Rose , do most of your students get recruited in Chicago city itself? Does location play a role?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:27:00 AM)
Skii -- Yes, a great GMAT score can help, but I would still explain your undergraduate GPA if you think we may have questions.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:27:09 AM)
Rose, in terms of hiring, are any sector particularly active?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:28:08 AM)
ND - Great question. We'll be posting our employment reports online later this week. While there are a good number of folks who decide to stay in Chicago post MBA (which is a great city), a huge number go to both costs and abroad. Our largest alumni groups are on the east & west coasts.

Skii (Oct 16, 2006 10:28:36 AM)
Rose, To add to what Linda said, why has Consultancy very lately getting the favorite of most of the MBA grads?

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:28:41 AM)
Risk is something I now understand on multiple levels. It comes into play in different capacities in economics, finance...and just about every area of business. At the GSB you also get a very thorough ethics training as part of the LEAD program - we go through a case-based approach to dealing with different ethical challenges.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:28:50 AM)
Linda -- I think every sector is fighting to attract the best talent.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:29:47 AM)
Skii -- Consulting provides many MBA graduates with a broad array of experiences and industries to try out newly developed skills, plus the money is quite good too (especially when you think about repaying those loans).

hitman (Oct 16, 2006 10:29:57 AM)
Rose and Amir, is the entire MBA experience competitive or collaborative or a mix of both? If it is a mix towards which end (competitive or collaborative) are the scales tilted?

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:30:08 AM)
Which professors will I miss most? Hard to say, I've developed a personal connection with several of them. They are very open to debate with students, both in and out of class.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:31:28 AM)
Hitman - I would say that all MBA students who wish to push themselves are highly competitive, but in the MBA experience this is the time to support one another and be collaborative. We're very team oriented, and yes, the students have GND which encourages collaboration and exploration.

AlabamaGene (Oct 16, 2006 10:31:42 AM)
Rose: How much leeway is allowed in the job duties section of the application? Should it be a brief list, or can we applicants take the opportunity to delve into our motivations and thoughts about our roles in our previous jobs?

bamby (Oct 16, 2006 10:32:03 AM)
how does the international student recruiting fare at Chicago, especially in the field of technology. Do a lot of companies avoid internationals due to lack of work permits?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:32:15 AM)
AlabamaGene - this is completely up to you. Either approach is fine.

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:32:20 AM)
I agree with Rose - I think the GSB is very collaborative, overall. Obviously there are competitive folks, but this environment forces you to work together and most of that competitiveness goes away...between us, at least.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:33:09 AM)
Bamby -- It depends. Yes the work permits can be problematic, but companies are seeking the best talent. Last year, our international students fared just as well in the recruiting process as US citizens.

prospectivmba (Oct 16, 2006 10:33:20 AM)
What's unique about Chicago? what are Chicago's strengths? how does it compare with Wharton, MIT or Columbia?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:36:30 AM)
Prospective MBA - There are a few themes that would define us -- power of ideas, community and our flexibility. Every top rated program will have broad strengths in many areas. At Chicago, while we are known for finance, entrepreneurship, marketing, strategic and economics also are highly sought after. In terms of differences, it all boils down to the community and range of choices offered at each program. If you evaluate the continuum of choices, Chicago GSB would be considered the most flexible program, medium size class (550), and a strong community orientation.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:41:03 AM)
Rose, how do you use the interview in the admissions process.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:42:36 AM)
Linda -- Chicago uses an interview by invitation process. Once an application has been submitted, it will be reviewed two full times prior to an invitation to interview. About 50-60% of our applicants will be invited. You must be invited to interview to be admitted. The interview is another third party evaluation that is added to the file prior to the final evaluations. It is not the "make or break" event for a decision.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:42:41 AM)
Amir, what do you wish you would have done before business school that you wished you'd done that would have made B-school easier. Did you do anything especially interesting.

momp (Oct 16, 2006 10:43:40 AM)
rose: I have engineering background. Is there a rough breakdown about the accept rate based on pre-MBA industry, like the accept rate for applicant with engineer background?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:44:30 AM)
Momp - I don't think we have ever run statistics on this. I do know that about 25% of our class comes from an engineering undergraduate program.

hitman (Oct 16, 2006 10:44:40 AM)
Rose, what are the next major initiatives planned for the school? What's the vision for the future?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:45:28 AM)
Hitman -- It's all about focusing all our programs around our values and engaging our alumni and corporate partners.

oxygen008 (Oct 16, 2006 10:45:50 AM)
I was wondering if the GSB would be extending R1 deadlines for students from the buffalo area. We have been without power since Thursday night

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:46:27 AM)
Oxygen008 - Just send me an e-mail and we can grant extensions to anyone who petitions the committee -- rose.martinelli@chicagogsb.edu

AlabamaGene (Oct 16, 2006 10:47:32 AM)
What is the average award package (non-loan), and is there a way to estimate the financial aid that will be available based on one's particular situation?

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:47:36 AM)
Linda - I think that ideally I would have done more research about career paths prior to business school. Once you get here, there are just so many options to select from, that it is easy to get lost and experiment too much into different areas. Obviously business school is a time to do that, but having some sort of general sense of what you want to go into really helps and can even give you an edge. I personally began talking to as many GSB alums as I could months before I got here. And...I also took the opportunity to travel!

hitman (Oct 16, 2006 10:47:50 AM)
Amir, how many hours a week do you spend time in Private Study apart from the work with your cohorts?

hitman (Oct 16, 2006 10:48:58 AM)
On the self-reported transcript I have been unsuccessful in getting the contact details of the registrar of my university. By explaining the situation in the optional essay and replacing the contact details with that of my ex-faculty, did I do the right thing?

Marathoner (Oct 16, 2006 10:49:26 AM)
Rose- I'm from India. Can my wife work in US while I study at GSB? If not, are there any on-campus jobs/support for spouses?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:49:32 AM)
AlabamaGene - At GSB, we believe most students need financing. Most students are earning good money, and will do extremely well upon graduation. Chicago does offer Merit-based awards at the time of admission (between $10k to full tuition). About 28% of the class will receive some type of award. So for Chicago, you should plan to take out loans for the full cost.

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:49:50 AM)
Hitman - I'd say that about 30-40% of my time is spent on individual study, and between 60-70% on group work. But you actually have the ability to customize this, and the ratio will differ among students

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:50:01 AM)
Hitman - yes, you did the right thing.

prospectivmba (Oct 16, 2006 10:50:03 AM)
how good is Chicago for someone interested in consulting/entrepreneurship/venture capitalism, etc does the school support ventures by students?

guest101 (Oct 16, 2006 10:50:10 AM)
Why is it so that Chicago does not release the selectivity?

Skii (Oct 16, 2006 10:50:30 AM)
Would GSB be participating in the WORLD MBA TOUR for fall of 2006...because last time I wasn't able to locate any representative at the fair

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:50:41 AM)
Marathoner -- work visas for your wife all depends upon the type of visa you obtain when you come to study in the United States. I would encourage you to do research on the types and limitations.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:52:18 AM)
Prospective MBA - I would say that the GSB is great in all the areas that you list. Our Laboratory Courses are especially good in terms of providing real life experience in these particular areas. More information can be found under experiential learning on our website. We also have our new venture challenge, which is a course followed by a competition that does include financing and venture capitalist evaluation.

nd (Oct 16, 2006 10:52:26 AM)
From your experience, do you see any sectors gaining favor over the years?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:52:42 AM)
Guest101 - Those are choices made from the top.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:53:10 AM)
Skii - Depends upon the location. Chicago GSB attends most fairs.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:53:18 AM)
Thank you all for participating today. Special thanks to Rose and Amir.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:53:44 AM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats. Here's a list of the upcoming scheduled chats.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:54:03 AM)
Thank you for the invitation. It is always a pleasure to chat on Accepted.com. If you have additional questions, feel free to reach out to me directly -- rose.martinelli@chicagogsb.edu

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:54:21 AM)
ProspectivMBA - the GSB has an abundance of resources in this area. For consulting, the Management Consulting group is one of our largest and most active students groups. Plenty of support and training are offered. On the Entrepreneurship front, we have the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship, which hosts the New Venture Challenge competition every year. As for VC, The Entrepreneurship, Venture Capital and Private Equity Group is one of the most active groups on campus. They partner with many VC and PE firms both in and out of Chicago. We also have the Private Equity Lab that enables real-world, hands-on work within a PE firm during the spring.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:54:24 AM)
Hass, Oct. 18th, USC Oct. 24th, Consortium Oct. 25th, MIT Oct. 31, Columbia Nov. 1.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:54:44 AM)
Please check www. accepted.com/chat/schedule.aspx for details and exact times.

AmirFriedmanGSB (Oct 16, 2006 10:54:45 AM)
Thanks everyone for your questions.

Linda Abraham (Oct 16, 2006 10:54:50 AM)
Good luck with your applications.