Columbia Admissions Chat with Linda Meehan

Columbia Admissions Chat with Linda Meehan

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 9:46:01 AM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome all applicants to the Columbia chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Columbia. To make a sound decision and to get accepted you know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask the experts about this outstanding business school.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 9:46:24 AM)
I also want to welcome our special guests, Linda Meehan, Columbia’s Director of Admissions; and Ed Cotler. Ed, could you tell us a little bit about your background?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:47:31 AM)
I was a teacher, ran a home business, and I've been at Columbia University since 1989 and the Business School since 1993.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 9:47:53 AM)
Linda, we have more in common than just first names. :-)

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:48:26 AM)
Hi everyone, my name is Ed and I'm a second-year student at Columbia. I studied computer science in undergrad and worked on Wall Street before business school. After graduation I will be going into fixed income trading.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 9:48:38 AM)
Thanks Ed.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 9:48:19 AM)
Columbia’s next application review cycle starts January 10. Any advice for Columbia applicants planning to apply regular decision for Sept. 2007?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:48:37 AM)
Columbia Business School uses rolling admission and we have been reviewing January apps since April and Early Decision applications since August and will begin our evaluation of regular decision applications around the first week of January next year. As far as advice is concerned, it is always better to apply early, however one should not apply until he or she has put together the strongest possible application

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 9:49:13 AM)
Alex, why did you choose Columbia? Are you glad you chose Columbia?

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 9:49:39 AM)
Can you comment on Early Decision application volume this year and how it compared to last year’s volume?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:50:02 AM)
Linda: Early Decision applications are up, significantly.

GeorgeM (Nov 1, 2006 9:50:12 AM)
For better or for worse, CBS has a reputation for being "number focused" with respect to admissions (i.e. GMAT). All b-schools note that they view GMAT scores as one piece of the puzzle but that said will a GMAT score slightly outside of the middle 80% keep an applicant out? Are applicants rejected based on GMAT alone?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:50:16 AM)
I chose Columbia because I saw many great alums in the industry that I wanted to go in to. Columbia has the strongest reputation and prepares people for the challenges well!

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 9:50:38 AM)
Ed, do you already have a job for post-graduation?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:51:06 AM)
Yes, I accepted a full-time offer from Merrill Lynch after the end of my summer internship in August.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 9:51:14 AM)
Congratulations!

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 9:51:34 AM)
Did Columbia meet your expectations, Ed?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:51:43 AM)
George: If you look at the 80% spread, you should be aware that it represents the application pool in general. If you look at the lowest and highest, we admitted people as low as 540 and as high as 790. To be admitted, applicants need to be strong in their own right as well as in comparison with the pool at large

2009 (Nov 1, 2006 9:51:52 AM)
Linda: What is Columbia's acceptance rate / yield for ED vs RD?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:52:26 AM)
2009: We don't really track that breakdown for ED vs. RD.

Anzhansen (Nov 1, 2006 9:52:33 AM)
Linda: what is the most important factor in making a strong application?

Col2009 (Nov 1, 2006 9:53:12 AM)
Sound likes a competitive year to get admission. :(

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:53:17 AM)
Abzhansen: The entire application is important but I must note that without the professional promise, an applicant cannot be accepted

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:53:36 AM)
Col2009: It is competitive every year. :)

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:54:01 AM)
Linda, Columbia offers many great courses taught by practitioners in the industry that come here after their working day is done. I was able to do things in my summer job that few other business school students could do because I took several great courses before the start of my summer internship. So to answer your question, Columbia has definitely exceeded my expectations!

Newyork1 (Nov 1, 2006 9:54:34 AM)
I am a CBS re-applicant. I applied for early decision this year. I want to know if they have started interviewing ED applicant

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 9:55:28 AM)
Ed: What aspect of the Columbia program do you like best? Least?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:55:38 AM)
Newyork1: We have started interviewing ED applicants, but please keep in mind that your interview can come at any point in the evaluation process and we are issuing interview invitations every week. Also keep in mind that if you submitted on a deadline that will cause some slowdown in processing

hams (Nov 1, 2006 9:55:46 AM)
Hi Linda. Why did Columbia increase their class size.

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:56:14 AM)
Hams: We had a larger yield than we expected. I messed up a little bit. :)

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 9:56:43 AM)
I guess that's a good way to mess up.

Guest (Nov 1, 2006 9:56:47 AM)
When you say that you have people having score ranging from 540 to 790, so how do you compensate for low score is it with more work experience or something else?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:56:50 AM)
I really like the people that I go to school with. The feel I got when visiting campus was different than at any other school. Everyone is talented but has a great attitude. There is a culture of working hard and earning it. What I like least is that there is too much going on. You can't pursue every career, go to every club meeting and attend every social event. It's best if you start being focused as early as possible or you will be completely overwhelmed with all the opportunities available here. But it's a quality problem to have.

hams (Nov 1, 2006 9:57:08 AM)
Linda: what was the yield and how is that expected to change. what is the ideal class size then

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 9:58:39 AM)
We report our data for both January and September and the yield was 79%. January this year will be roughly 185 - 190 and this September will be approximately 510-520

Anzhansen (Nov 1, 2006 9:59:06 AM)
Linda: could you describe the "professional promise" that you referred to?

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:00:30 AM)
Ed: What class or professor is simply not to be missed?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:00:49 AM)
anzhansen: We evaluate the two recommendations (one for re-applicants). We hope that they will be from people who are your current or previous supervisors. We will look closely at your professional resume to see the progression in your responsibilities, titles, salary, etc and we will look at the interview report for presentation and communication skills

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:01:10 AM)
Linda, geez... what do you want to study?

Calvin (Nov 1, 2006 10:01:27 AM)
Linda: There might be a few exceptions to this, however, one observes that largely the individuals with a GMAT less than 700 who get an admit are from geographical locations that help their cause - Chile , Mexico ...... I know that my application is competing with everybody else's who's applied however, how does the process work : do I only compete with my application pool or do I compete with with all the applicants? If the second is true then how are the individuals with very low scores making it to school ?

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:01:59 AM)
Ed. I already have my MBA, but at almost every school I have ever known, there are always a few exceptional teachers. Those are the not-to-be-missed ones. Of the classes you have had at CBS, have you had another that were simply head-and-shoulders above the rest?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:02:46 AM)
For finance... Howie Corb, Suresh Sundaresan, Jon Read, Laurie Hodrick... I can go on. For management and leadership, Feiner and Biggadike are both excellent! I encourage people to visit campus... you can actually sit in on some of these great classes and experience what it's like first-hand. I have hosted several students on classroom visits this year and am happy to do more.

GeorgeM (Nov 1, 2006 10:02:55 AM)
Ed: outside of having too many choices in terms of extra-curriculars, what has been a disappointment for you in terms of academics, curriculum life?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:04:03 AM)
Calvin: The first question we always ask is can the applicant make it through our program? Columbia Business School offers a very rigorous academic experience. To assess this, we will look both at the GMAT as well as your undergraduate work, where you went to school, and what you took and the specific grades received. Then we are looking, indeed, at the entire applicant pool. If we feel you offer something unique and different then this can offset a lower GMAT score

guest101 (Nov 1, 2006 10:04:22 AM)
Linda: What is the ideal class size for CBS this year?

Newyork1 (Nov 1, 2006 10:04:53 AM)
Linda. I have emailed some questions to a current student from the "contact a student" list. But I never got his reply. How does this "contact a student" thing work? Shall I try to send the same question to someone else?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:05:06 AM)
Guest101: we're a mid-sized school and we will remain a mid-sized school from all indications from our dean at this time.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:05:06 AM)
NY1, you can ask Ed at least some of your questions. Notify the apply@gsb.columbia.edu mailbox so we can figure out what happened. Our students are normally very responsive, except during breaks and exam times. But if it happens in the future, let us know and we can connect you with another student

hams (Nov 1, 2006 10:05:22 AM)
Linda. I have heard that professors at CBS were not rated that high in 2002 form business week. And I read that CBS has tried to improve that. How has that been addressed and what is your thoughts on that comment/survey

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:06:51 AM)
Does Columbia have any plans to re-create its curriculum ala Yale or Stanford? If so, any idea of the direction CBS would take?

Newyork1 (Nov 1, 2006 10:07:19 AM)
Ed, I am not an accounting or finance major. Now, before attending business school next year, I have almost a year to prepare. What books or classes would your recommend me to take to get myself prepared for the CBS classes?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:07:44 AM)
George: I'm having a hard time being disappointed here. There are always things that can be improved, such as the food in Uri's Deli, but overall I am having a great experience here.

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:07:53 AM)
hams: I think that one always has to consider the number of respondents, who are they, etc on any given survey. The overall ratings of our professors across the board are quite high. Obviously, it's not perfect.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:08:04 AM)
Ed, what are some of the extra-curricular activities you are involved in?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:08:49 AM)
NY1: CBS allows you to take exemption exams for subjects that you already know. Anything that you can do to prepare yourself for the curriculum can only help you in the future.

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:09:57 AM)
Linda, in terms of extra-curriculars, I'm the Co-President of the Sales and Trading Club here on campus. I'm also the VP of Spring Break Trip for the Sailing Club. Most importantly, I'm married and have a life outside of school too.

gaurav (Nov 1, 2006 10:10:53 AM)
Linda: what does rolling admissions mean? Can you explain in detail?

GeorgeM (Nov 1, 2006 10:11:11 AM)
Ed: Granted that "NYC is your classroom," but how does it impact the b-school sense of community that the campus is relatively small and students are scattered throughout NY and NJ?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:11:55 AM)
Gaurav: Unlike a rounds system, where all applications submitted until a certain date are all released at the same time, Columbia Business School reviews applications and renders decisions on a continuous basis.

Calvin (Nov 1, 2006 10:12:07 AM)
Thank you for answering my question Linda. I have a few more : Since interviews are conducted by Columbia by invitation only, what would two individuals with similar GMAT, GPA and work experience, have done differently for one to get a call and the other to not get it.

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:12:15 AM)
George: To the contrary, I don't feel like students are scattered at all... Happy hour is always well-attended (some people even come AFTER recruiting events wrap up). Most people live somewhere in the vicinity of the Upper West Side and there are many social events to keep us all together.

Newyork1 (Nov 1, 2006 10:12:30 AM)
I am also an active athlete. Ed, how is the sports atmosphere in CBS?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:13:10 AM)
Calvin: There is more to an application than just GMAT and GPA! :) We evaluate individuals, not just applications and this is clearly a very holistic process, so a similar "profile" does not an identical pair of applications make

jk (Nov 1, 2006 10:13:25 AM)
Linda: What is the average GMAT Math score and percentage? When weighing the GMAT, does Columbia emphasize one versus another?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:13:27 AM)
NY1: The men's and women's rugby teams here are some of the most active campus organizations, period.

hams (Nov 1, 2006 10:13:50 AM)
ED. People have commented that CBS is not as communal because people are mainly from NY. Is this your experience?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:14:03 AM)
There is definitely a chance to stay fit, there are also many intramural sports here (basketball, volleyball, even dodge ball)

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:14:30 AM)
jk: we look at both the verbal and math sections, and the importance of each section varies from applicant to applicant. For example, we would be more interested in the Math/Quantitative section for an applicant who studied liberal arts.

gaurav (Nov 1, 2006 10:14:56 AM)
Linda: What is the average number of experience required?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:15:13 AM)
Hams: Mainly from NY? You should tell that to my friends from Kenya, Israel, Italy, Russia and Singapore. I definitely don't get the feel that it's a mainly "NY" school... people are from all over.

GeorgeM (Nov 1, 2006 10:15:28 AM)
Ed: Is it easy to get into higher profile classes such as those taught by Greenwald?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:15:54 AM)
gaurav: although our average years of work experience is usually about 5 years, we have no REQUIRED amount of work experience and every year we accept people who come to us directly out of undergraduate programs.

Calvin (Nov 1, 2006 10:16:12 AM)
Linda: What are the resources available at Columbia which can help students with an inclination towards Social Enterprise? Where do career treks for this group of students go to?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:16:59 AM)
George: There is a bidding system for classes here so you can choose how to allocate your points. I received all of my top 5 classes in the last round.

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:17:34 AM)
The social enterprise club is very active and one of the larger clubs on campus: http://www0.gsb.columbia.edu/students/organizations/sec/ I'll also let Ed field part of this question

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:17:59 AM)
Ed, is there a significant others group at CBS? Does your wife participate? Could you tell us a little about it?

Aster (Nov 1, 2006 10:18:21 AM)
Linda: Why does an application submitted on deadline take longer processing time?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:18:34 AM)
Calvin: there is a student-funded program here that raises money for those interested in social enterprise. Last year it raised around $60k. That definitely helps if you're doing an unpaid internship. There is also a good feeling of giving back here.

hams (Nov 1, 2006 10:19:26 AM)
Linda. I have heard that the 80/80 percentile is the main rule of thumb. Is this the way you or CBS looks at GMATs?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:19:33 AM)
There is a significant others group here. My wife isn't very active in it but that's because she comes to most of the social events for students anyway. Sometimes I feel like she knows more people here than I do

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:19:38 AM)
Aster: We process applications in the order that they are submitted and we tend to get a large volume of applications on deadlines. This means all those applications have to be printed and assembled at the same time. Lets not forget that our staff is much smaller than the applicant pool! :)

Calvin (Nov 1, 2006 10:20:02 AM)
Linda: I have taken the GMAT twice. Which score will Columbia consider?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:20:04 AM)
Hams: We do not have an 80/80 rule.

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:20:23 AM)
Calvin: We consider whichever GMAT score you submit - for most applicants this is the highest one. :)

zzz (Nov 1, 2006 10:20:35 AM)
Linda, can you estimate what percentage of early decision applications have been reviewed and had the decision notifications sent out?

engee (Nov 1, 2006 10:20:47 AM)
Ed: I am a career changer and really want to explore my options if/when I start school. If I were to take classes in Marketing, Finance and General Management and not really have too much of a focus on a 'major', how does that work out?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:21:15 AM)
zzz: We still have lots of work left for Early Decision.

uvaeric (Nov 1, 2006 10:21:24 AM)
Linda, after your application becomes complete (interviewer has submitted feedback), how long does it take, on average, to get a response (Accepted, Waitlisted, Denied)?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:23:05 AM)
engee: You will get more out of Columbia -- or any other school -- if you have a better idea of what you want when you get here. Some recruiters come to school as early as late September of your first year. So while there are many options to explore here, you will be more effective if you narrow down your focus. Otherwise, how will you choose between the Microsoft, GE, Merrill Lynch or McKinsey recruiting events, all of which may be going on at the same time!

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:23:27 AM)
uvaeric: The amount of time it takes to get a decision after your interview depends on when in the process you received your invitation. Keep in mind that the invitation to interview can come at any point during the evaluation process and has no bearing on the potential of admission

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:23:29 AM)
Ed I complete agree.

Newyork1 (Nov 1, 2006 10:23:36 AM)
Ed, Columbia is known to be conservative, which is quite odd in a liberal city like New York. Do you feel Columbia is conservative?

jk (Nov 1, 2006 10:23:49 AM)
Linda: Also, if I submit my application and then retake my GMAT, will my new GMAT score be automatically associated with my application? Can I maybe call the Admissions Office to follow up on this possibility? Or is it just out of the question?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:24:53 AM)
jk: we do not check for official GMAT scores until an offer of admission is made, so if you retake your GMAT, you may simply self-report to us the new score at our general mailbox: apply@gsb.columbia.edu

Calvin (Nov 1, 2006 10:25:03 AM)
Linda could you please elaborate on that a bit more - " we would be more interested ....liberal arts" ......what observations would the adcom make of the GMAT score of an applicant with liberal arts background? What will the adcom want to see in the score ?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:25:31 AM)
NY1: Columbia is comprised of individuals. My friends have all sorts of different political views. I haven't heard that Columbia is "known" to be either liberal or conservative. The speakers that come to campus have different backgrounds as well.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:26:07 AM)
Ed, how are your classmates doing in terms of hiring and interviewing?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:26:20 AM)
Calvin: Without seeing an entire application, it is difficult to make such sweeping generalizations. Truly, each applicant is more complex than a set of numbers of profile and I would need to see an entire application to be able to tell you how such specifics would interplay

jk (Nov 1, 2006 10:26:38 AM)
Linda: Is it appropriate to submit additional documents with your application? I heard different answers from Columbia students. For example, someone recommended sending an additional letter of recommendation.

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:27:27 AM)
Many people already have job offers that they have accepted. The ones that don't are busy interviewing ... which is a good thing to be busy with.

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:27:42 AM)
jk: You are welcome to submit additional materials, but it isn't something we will track online.

engee (Nov 1, 2006 10:28:18 AM)
Linda: How many non-need based scholarships do you award every Fall term? And what is the main criteria? Also, if I may ask, how much is the scholarship for?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:28:19 AM)
It depends more on the career path that you want. Most finance people will be done earlier than real estate people. Some industries like to hire early while others like to hire late in the year.

Calvin (Nov 1, 2006 10:28:32 AM)
Ed: Is the CWIB to help women with networking and growth even after they have completed their MBA and left the university?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:30:00 AM)
engee: The number of scholarships given varies from year to year, amounts range from a few thousand dollars to full tuition. In terms of criteria, we consider the overall strength of your application, as well as any donor-specific requirements

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:30:11 AM)
Calvin: I'm not a member of CWIB -- Columbia Women in Business -- but know that it is one of the most active organizations on campus. Alumni that I have reached out to have been very responsive and I would imagine that CWIB alumni would also be very helpful.

GeorgeM (Nov 1, 2006 10:30:35 AM)
Linda: does the school normally re-interview re-applicants?

engee (Nov 1, 2006 10:30:56 AM)
Ed: Follow up on that, is there someplace I can look at the companies that come/came for recruiting events this fall? I am not interested in MC or IB so the list of 'largest employers' isn't very useful for me.

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:31:06 AM)
GeorgeM: There is no hard-and-fast rule: some get interviews and some do not, depending on the circumstances

Calvin (Nov 1, 2006 10:31:19 AM)
Do any of the UN agencies directly hire from campus?

gaurav (Nov 1, 2006 10:32:19 AM)
Linda: Where can we get the contact details of the alumni association or the current and past students of CBS? So that we can get more details on the exact process and other help for accomadation and other stuff

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:32:21 AM)
engee: You may want to reach out to Career Services for a specific list of recruiting companies... I think they publish more than just the top 10. There are definitely small organizations that come to campus, not just the big banks

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:33:22 AM)
Gaurav: we do not release the contact information of our alumni, but you are welcome to contact our current students either through the list of hermes society members on our general website ("talk to a student") or through the general club websites: http://www2.gsb.columbia.edu/students/life/clubs/

jk (Nov 1, 2006 10:33:36 AM)
Linda: Is there a possibility that someone will be admitted and not able to attend because of lack of funds? What does CBS do to help someone in this type of a situation?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:33:51 AM)
Calvin: I didn't recruit for the UN but know that students have gotten jobs there after school. Since you're interested in social enterprise specifically, you should visit campus and talk to some students who know more about that field.

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:34:06 AM)
jk: we have a guaranteed loan program, through the CitiAssist program.

Newyork1 (Nov 1, 2006 10:34:19 AM)
Linda, do international applicants compete with international applicants, or do they compete with the whole pool?

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:34:54 AM)
Ed, did you do anything before you started at CBS that was particularly helpful in the transition back to school? If so, what was it?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:36:00 AM)
I spent some time finding an apartment on the upper west side to save on broker's fees. Other than that, I went on vacation. School is intense here and you don't want to show up here on Monday after finishing up a 100-hour work week on Friday.

gaurav (Nov 1, 2006 10:36:16 AM)
ED: CBS is known for which areas of specialization?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:36:50 AM)
newyork: We are looking to build the most diverse class we can, based on what we receive every year in the pool. All applicants are first evaluated on their own merits and then against the merits of the pool. International and domestic applicants are reviewed based on the same criteria

hams (Nov 1, 2006 10:37:04 AM)
Linda. Why does CBS interview? What are the usual issues?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:38:06 AM)
gaurav: There are 12 concentrations here, all of which are top-notch. I can tell you that within Sales and Trading we are sending more people to many of the big banks than any other business school.

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:38:11 AM)
hams: I would not say that we interview applicants due to "issues" but rather because we are interested in admitting them.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:39:10 AM)
Linda, a waitlisted applicant has submitted this question via email: Have you started looking into the waitlist for the J-term 2007? If not, when do they plan to?

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:39:39 AM)
Everyone: I'm heading off to class in another 5 minutes or so, so if you have any last-minute questions for me please reach out!

engee (Nov 1, 2006 10:40:27 AM)
Ed: Thanks a lot for your time. Good luck with your career plans.

Calvin (Nov 1, 2006 10:40:30 AM)
Thanks a ton for your time Ed

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:40:31 AM)
We continually re-evaluate the waitlist on a regular basis. We have already accepted some people from the waitlist.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:41:00 AM)
Linda: How do you use the interview in the admissions process?

Newyork1 (Nov 1, 2006 10:41:17 AM)
Thanks Ed, how can I get in touch with you if I have more questions?

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:41:50 AM)
Linda, the interview is evaluatory and is viewed alongside the other pieces of the application

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:41:52 AM)
Again, I would encourage you all to visit campus and spend time visiting classes and speaking with students. That's the best way to get a sense of what it's really like here.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:42:02 AM)
Thank you again all for participating. Special thanks to Linda and Ed for joining us today.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:42:09 AM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats. On deck: CMU Nov. 9 Michigan Nov 13

EdCotlerCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:42:10 AM)
NY1 (and everyone): You can look up all my contact info on www.columbia.edu

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:42:15 AM)
Please check the website (http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.aspx ) for exact dates and times.

Linda Abraham (Nov 1, 2006 10:42:24 AM)
Good luck with your applications!

LindaMeehanCBS (Nov 1, 2006 10:42:41 AM)
I want to thank all of you for your interest in Columbia Business School and look forward to receiving your applications. If you have further questions regarding Columbia or our application process you are welcome to contact us directly. We are always happy to help in any way we can.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room