Michigan Ross Admissions Chat with Soojin Kwan Koh and Jim Hayes

Michigan Ross Admissions Chat with Soojin Kwan Koh and Jim Hayes

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 9:43:39 AM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome all applicants to the Michigan Ross chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Ross. To make a sound decision and to get accepted you know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask the experts about this outstanding business school.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 9:43:47 AM)
I also want to welcome Soojin Kwan Koh, Director of Admissions; Jim Hayes, Senior Associate Director; and Mike McGoohan, second-year student at Ross

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 9:44:11 AM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 9:45:25 AM)
All of you, Any advice for applicants planning to submit for Michigan’s Jan. 7 deadline. Applicants have almost 2 months to go. What should they be doing now to submit the best application then?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 9:47:24 AM)
I would say that the intervening time between now and January 7th can best be used by being introspective. Understand yourself, your goals post MBA, and how the MBA fits into the achievement of your goals. Also, you must thoroughly research each school that you are serious about. In your essays be sure to provide lots of specificity about the program to depict your strong interest.

Indian_Aspirant (Nov 13, 2006 9:48:00 AM)
Jim: Co-creation of MBA experience: Can you explain in detail about the co-creation? Is it more about selecting and customizing the curriculum i.e. choice of electives? How exactly is RLP (Ross leadership program) customized?

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 9:48:23 AM)
I would echo Jim. spend time on the essays. this is how you can truly differentiate yourselves. Most applicants will have strong backgrounds, but what you tell us about yourself through the essays is how we will be able to distinguish one strong applicant from another

ross2009 (Nov 13, 2006 9:48:40 AM)
Soojin: Many b-schools are starting to accept students straight from undergraduate, while many still prefer to attract students with significant work experience. What is Ross' stance on this issue?

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 9:50:07 AM)
ross2009, we think there is tremendous value both to the student and his/her classmates in bringing work experience to the table. the classroom experience is much more meaningful when you have a set of experiences to draw from. as such, we rarely admit applicants without full-time work experience.

matt (Nov 13, 2006 9:50:20 AM)
Hi Soojin et. al., thanks for joining us! I'm interested in the process Ross uses to select the companies involved in MAP each year. Also, what aims does the school use to ensure each student is paired with the best MAP for his/her career goals?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 9:50:50 AM)
Indian_Aspirant: selecting and customizing the curriculum is part of it. But there are also outside of the classroom activities that you will choose to be involved in also. And those options will vary based upon your post MBA focus. There are aspects of RLP that everyone will attend, but there is also enough blank space that you can decide to attend workshops, sessions, etc that are of value to you specifically.

Guru (Nov 13, 2006 9:51:17 AM)
Jim: Do you process the applications in the order in which they are received? Is there an advantage in submitting the application earlier than the Jan 7 deadline?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 9:52:18 AM)
Guru: We process the applications for each round all at once. It does not matter if the application was received in December or on January 7th. Decisions are communicated all at once also.

ross2009 (Nov 13, 2006 9:52:31 AM)
Jim: How would the new proposition in MI that ban affirmative action affect the minority placement in the coming years?

ADDLE (Nov 13, 2006 9:52:39 AM)
Soojin: How would Michigan be for someone who is looking to exploring a career in Investment Banking?

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 9:53:07 AM)
Hi Mike. Thanks for joining us. Mike, can you tell us a little about yourself. What did you do before you arrived at Ross and what do you want to do after your MBA?

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 9:53:41 AM)
We get hundreds of companies and organizations that want our students to work on MAP projects for their organization and the MAP office vets those requests based on the potential learning experience for students as well as their ability to provide value to the project sponsor. students rank order their preferences for MAP projects and the MAP office uses an algorithm to try to match all students with one of their top choices. typically, students get one of their top 5 choices.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 9:53:54 AM)
Ross 2009: Our commitment is to maintaining a diverse community. Michigan is known as a champion of diversity among our competitors and that will not change. We will comply with the law, but we believe that we are smart enough to find ways to maintain our commitment to a diverse community.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 9:54:12 AM)
Hi everyone. I apologize for being a couple of minutes late. I ran into a couple of technical issues.

Indian_Aspirant (Nov 13, 2006 9:54:15 AM)
Jim: Round1: I have heard that this year Ross is only sending 'telephonic interview" calls to international applicants. Is there a change in policy or is it as per convenience? Also, what is the kind of increase in the number of applications you are experiencing this year?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 9:55:27 AM)
Indian_Aspirant: the new interview policy is a change in policy. Too early to tell about the overall increase in applications based on Round 1, but let's just say that we are up year to date compared to last year same time.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 9:55:39 AM)
I am a second year MBA student. Before coming to Ross, I worked for Deloitte Consulting as a management consultant in their Strategy & Operations practice. I came back to Ross to pursue a career in sports, which led me to work at MLB last summer. Currently, I am considering opportunities in baseball as well as opportunities in consulting.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 9:55:59 AM)
Thanks Mike.

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 9:56:08 AM)
Addle, Ross grads have landed jobs at all of the major investment banks. Our Finance Club members also go to Wall Street in the fall to network with recruiters and alumni from the Wall Street firms.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 9:56:28 AM)
Mike, why did you choose to attend Ross and has it met your expectations?

Dominic (Nov 13, 2006 9:56:45 AM)
Soojin: In the PDF version of the application, there's a form "Form 11" that asks the candidate about the availability of funds to the tune of $69,000 approx. My family has joint accounts and the bank has given a consolidated statement without explaining the breakup. Against each individual in the form should I arbitrarily break it on individual?

Guru (Nov 13, 2006 9:57:03 AM)
Jim: What is the expected entering class size at Ross for the Class of 2009? Typically what percentage come from Rounds 1 and 2

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 9:58:22 AM)
The expected size for the Class of 2009 is approximately 430. About 400 or so will come from round 1 and 2 applicants.

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 9:58:35 AM)
Dominic, I'd suggest contacting our Financial Aid office for your specific question: rossfinaid@umich.edu.

Guest (Nov 13, 2006 9:58:49 AM)
Hi Jim, after speaking with a student ambassador and fellow U of M alums, it seems that there's not a huge amount of Ross students who obtained their undergrad at Michigan. Is this just an urban legend, or am I going to have to teach everyone the lyrics to The Victors on my own? :)

gau0007 (Nov 13, 2006 9:58:53 AM)
Soojin: What % of seats are available for international students?

Donnidra Sardine (Nov 13, 2006 9:59:11 AM)
Jim: I know that Ross selects a certain number of applicants for admissions interviews. Are interview notices given on a rolling basis and about how far in advance is notice given for interviews?

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:00:07 AM)
gan0007, we don't set strict limits on international students. Our average international student representation has been about 30-35%.

Dominic (Nov 13, 2006 10:00:45 AM)
Soojin: I have heard Ross likes older candidates and looking at the Student Ambassadors, all appear pretty old. How do younger candidates with 2 to 3 years of full time work experience figure in the application process?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:00:58 AM)
Donnidra: Interview invitations are done on a rolling basis. This is our first year with this new policy so it is difficult to say how far in advance notice will be provided, but our goal is to get these scheduled as soon as possible after the application deadline.

raj (Nov 13, 2006 10:01:24 AM)
Jim: Till when should we wait for interview invitation for round 1 applicants? Some interview invitations have already been sent. Is the timing of invitations based on the locations of applicants or is there some other criteria?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:02:27 AM)
Ross has been a phenomenal experience and has definitely lived up to my expectations. I chose to come to Ross for 3 reasons. First, Ross has an outstanding general management education. Ross is one of the only schools to be ranked in the top 5 in every single department. In addition, I was intrigued by the concept of Action Based Learning, which I felt was a unique advantage versus other programs. Also, the school has a dedicated group of faculty, who devote their time to teaching their students, not just performing research. Secondly, I chose Ross because of its tremendous Alumni network. Michigan has the largest living alumni network in the world which is a large advantage for future career opportunities. Also, the alumni network is extremely open, friendly and most importantly, willing to help. As a person who wants to enter a non-traditional MBA job market, a powerful alumni network was key. Third, Ross and Michigan was the best fit for me. The people are down to earth, humble, fun.

Dominic (Nov 13, 2006 10:02:41 AM)
Mike, in your experience has the Ross MBA experience been collaborative in certain aspects and competitive in certain aspects?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:03:10 AM)
Raj: We just began reading round 1 applications last week. A big factor in extending interview offers is how quickly we get applications read. We will ask for your patience this year as we work our way through the new process. Again, we will extend invitations on a rolling basis, but always as soon as possible.

Kedar (Nov 13, 2006 10:03:26 AM)
Jim: What are action based aspects of curriculum , apart from MAP, at Ross?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:04:37 AM)
Dominic, I would say that my MBA experience has definitely been more collaborative than competitive. Ross students are motivated to succeed based on their own internal competitive spirit, not competition against their classmates. Ross students genuinely want their classmates to succeed and to learn, as it only helps them in the future as we are building a stronger Ross network. I have rarely felt competition between my classmates at Ross.

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:04:49 AM)
Dominic - I'm not sure what your definition of "old" is since our students have, on average, about 5 years of experience. That makes our students about 27 years old. Is that old? In any case, we do have many students who have 2-3 years of work experience as well. The number of years of work experience is not as significant as the quality of the work experience - ability to show achievement, impact, advancement. Some folks can achieve those things in 2 years, others may take longer. We look more at the quality of work experience.

gau0007 (Nov 13, 2006 10:05:01 AM)
Mike: How much of your course is theory and how much for practical like case studies and presentations...?

Indian_Aspirant (Nov 13, 2006 10:05:29 AM)
Soojin: International experience: What is the importance given to international exposure? I am an Indian applicant having 5+ yrs of work experience. I have got a diverse work experience but no international exposure. How should I address it in my application? As far as adaptability is concerned, I have worked and traveled extensively across India. I have also picked up a foreign language in the last two years. I am sure that I can adjust in an international environment easily.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:06:10 AM)
Kedar: There are other action-based aspects of the curriculum. Finance: Tozzi Center; Entrepreneurs: Zell Lurie Institute, Wolverine Venture Fund, Dare to Dream Grants, Business case competitions; Tauber Manufacturing Institute - Summer projects; All - Internships, global projects courses, M-Treks, etc.

gau0007 (Nov 13, 2006 10:06:19 AM)
Jim: Does is matter if we apply in the 1st cycle or in the 2nd cycle? Are there fixed % of seats allotted to each CYCLE?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:06:43 AM)
gau0007 - Every class is different, but for me, I would say that 70 % of my course work has been case based. Ross offers a combination of both theory and case based learning in most classes, with the idea being that students can learn a lot through applied learning. I have found the Ross method of learning to be very easy to grasp.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 10:07:14 AM)
Mike, what do you like best at Ross? What would you like to see improved?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:07:55 AM)
gau0007: Either a round 1 or round 2 application is fine. We admit most of our applicants in those two rounds. Round 3 should be avoided if you are an international applicant and/or want to be considered for scholarship.

Guest (Nov 13, 2006 10:08:15 AM)
Jim: How's the new building coming along? So sad they had to tear down Davidson...

RS (Nov 13, 2006 10:08:25 AM)
Jim: Good afternoon. Can the admissions committee please elaborate on how the 'essay' section of the GMAT is assessed, if at all? Many thanks.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:08:47 AM)
Linda - The people are truly what makes Ross a special and unique place. I have throughout enjoyed both getting to know and learning from my classmates. The people are definitely the best thing about Ross.

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:08:55 AM)
Indian_Aspirant - International experience is not a prerequisite, nor does it necessarily give an applicant a "leg up." We are looking for diversity of experiences, which could be international. It could also be industry, function, roles, etc. We are also looking for a diversity of career goals, which, again, may or may not be international. In short, I wouldn't worry about having limited international experience.

Ross09Ihope (Nov 13, 2006 10:09:10 AM)
Soojin: Sorry if I missed this earlier - Can you discuss the new interview policy? Why was it changed? Have you started contacting R1 applicants for interviews? Is there a deadline when you will stop? Will every admitted applicant be interviewed? What % of applicants are you looking to interview. That is a lot. THANK YOU!

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:09:47 AM)
RS: The evaluation of the AWA section of the GMAT will vary from school to school. Here at Ross, we read it but most of our assessment of your writing abilities comes from our review of your essays.

kda (Nov 13, 2006 10:10:00 AM)
Jim: I apologize, I joined the chat a little late. I saw there was discussion about the affirmative action decision. Will Ross still be able to participate in the Consortium this year and in the future? Sorry if you already answered.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:10:30 AM)
As for what can be improved, I wish I had time for more electives. There are so many interesting classes which has presented some really difficult choices for me with my academic schedule this year.

Guest (Nov 13, 2006 10:10:54 AM)
Mike: I'd like to collaborate with Zell Lurie and the NPM Center while at Ross -- perhaps this is a good question for Mike...what's your impression of the relationship between Ross and the research institutions?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:11:10 AM)
Overall, I have been extremely happy with my experience and I think most students agree that the school is heading in the right direction.

Indian_Aspirant (Nov 13, 2006 10:11:17 AM)
Mike: Action based Learning: Ross is the pioneer B School in action based learning, starting from early 90's. How has it changed and evolved over the years? More specifically, how exactly course-projects, student clubs and MAP fit into the overall vision of Ross? I would appreciate an example of each to have an in-depth understanding.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:11:40 AM)
Kda: There are still many questions being raised, and we don't know the answers to all of them. However, we strongly believe that our involvement as a Consortium school will not be jeopardized. As you may know, the Consortium expanded its mission last year to be inclusive of all, and we believe that that will work to our advantage.

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:11:56 AM)
Ross09 - The new interview policy is by invitation only. We will begin inviting R1 applicants for interviews within the next week or so. Invitations will be on a rolling basis, in no priority order, and continue until the decision notification date (Jan. 15). All admitted students will have had an interview. We don't know what percentage of applicants we will be interviewing; we have not set a percentage.

Indian_Aspirant (Nov 13, 2006 10:12:02 AM)
Jim: What is the difference between the 'Additional information' and 'Optional essay' in the application?

aquarezia (Nov 13, 2006 10:12:36 AM)
Soojin: For an applicant with technical background is there some advice to increase his chances for acceptance.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:14:23 AM)
Indian_Aspirant: I am not certain that I understand your question, but any additional information that you think will help the Admissions Committee to a favorable decision on your application should be addressed in the optional essay.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 10:14:38 AM)
Jim: How did the application volume this year compare to last year’s round 1 volume?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:15:42 AM)
Linda: We are up substantially although it is too early to say what will happen for the year overall. For that reason, I am hesitant to provide a statistic.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:15:48 AM)
Indian_Aspirant - I have only been a student here for a little over a year, but my understanding is that Action Based Learning has grown from what was just MAP to a series of opportunities now available to students. As Jim described earlier, there a tons of action based learning activities and opportunities available to students, from the Zell Lurie Dare to Dream competition to the Wolverine Venture fund to M-Trek; Action Based Learning most aptly describes what Ross learning is all about, both in and out of the classroom.

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:15:56 AM)
aquarezia - My advice for everyone, not just those with a technical background, is to show how you would succeed in and benefit the Ross community and in your careers. Ross students are very involved in all aspects of the school, not just the academics. In addition, we look for students who will work well with their peers, as our culture and approach is very team-oriented.

Donnidra Sardine (Nov 13, 2006 10:16:02 AM)
Mike: I am also interested in consulting. In what way has the office of career development prepared you for future consulting opportunities?

colin (Nov 13, 2006 10:16:12 AM)
Soojin:is there any limitation in Ross on applicant age? Considering I am 36 already?

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:16:49 AM)
No, we don't have any age criteria.

ross 2009 (Nov 13, 2006 10:17:04 AM)
Soojin: I know that Ross is part of the Consortium. Is there a preference as to whether the students apply through the Consortium or apply to Ross directly?

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 10:18:13 AM)
Colin you may be interested in the article at http://www.accepted.com/mba/older.aspx . It is not specific to Michigan, but may be helpful to you.

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:18:48 AM)
ross2009 - There are tremendous advantages to applying to Ross through the Consortium (e.g., one application fee to apply to up to 6 schools that are members of the Consortium, a single application to those schools). If you fit the eligibility criteria, we recommend that students apply through the Consortium.

Indian_Aspirant (Nov 13, 2006 10:18:53 AM)
Jim: Any advice for international students who are not able to visit Ross before applying?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:20:16 AM)
Donnidra - The Office of Career Development is very strong here at Ross. We have over 350 companies that come and recruit here every year. In consulting specifically, OCD arranges for numerous presentations and networking opportunities with the top consulting companies. This is true of other industries as well. OCD also has career counselors who are available to help students with their career pursuits in all fields. Clubs are also a huge part of the professional development cycle. Most clubs offer resume review, case interview prep and informational interview sessions. The Michigan Consulting Club offered all of these resources and was valuable in preparing me for my interviews this fall.

Ross09Ihope (Nov 13, 2006 10:20:25 AM)
Mike: How did you secure the MLB internship?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:20:48 AM)
Indian_Aspirant: A visit to any school you are serious about would be a big plus for you. You would have the opportunity to get a sense for the community before committing. However, it is not something that we require. You can speak to alumni and current students about their experiences and try to get a good sense for how you would fit in this culture. The same advice would apply to the other schools you may be considering.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:21:26 AM)
Ross09 - I secured my MLB internship through networking. I used both Michigan contacts and previous relationships to get my job. The Ross brand definitely helped me as well.

Blake (Nov 13, 2006 10:21:51 AM)
Jim: How much of a detriment is applying at the 2nd application deadline rather than the 1st?

Indian_Aspirant (Nov 13, 2006 10:21:59 AM)
Mike, what according to you are the five main features of Ross which set it apart from other Top B Schools?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:22:55 AM)
Blake: We get the majority of our applications in Round 2, so an application in Round 1 or Round 2 is fine.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:23:02 AM)
For me, the 5 main features of Ross that distinguish it from other MBA programs are: 1. Ross MBA Community, 2. The Michigan Alumni Network, 3. Action Based Learning/ MAP, 4. Ethical and Value-Oriented Leadership Development, 5. Adaptable and Cutting Edge Educational Environment

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:23:10 AM)
To add to Jim's response about finding out about Ross, I would recommend contacting one of our student ambassadors to ask any questions you may have about the school. They can give you the student's perspective. http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba/Tours/ambassadors.htm

gau0007 (Nov 13, 2006 10:23:14 AM)
Soojin: What things do you consider when evaluating us apart from GMAT/No. of exp/quality work and how much weight do you give to each of them?

stevewantsanmba (Nov 13, 2006 10:23:21 AM)
Jim: Soojin: It looks like the number of admits to the part time program has been getting smaller the last couple of years. Is there a reason for this?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:25:07 AM)
Stevewantsanmba: A major part of the reason is that applications have been on the decline. We are working to understand all the factors contributing to the decline in the number of applications, and devising strategies to increase application volume.

aquarezia (Nov 13, 2006 10:25:44 AM)
Jim: I have done a year long part time executive MBA, can that work against my candidature?

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:26:07 AM)
gau0007 - In addition to GMAT, GPA, and work experience, we also consider recommendation letters, essays, and interviews. Through those latter pieces, we try to assess leadership, fit with Ross culture, and potential to contribute to the Ross community.

Dominic (Nov 13, 2006 10:26:40 AM)
Mike, how much time do you spend in personal study at Ross apart from the team projects?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:26:45 AM)
aquarezia: A year of a part-time MBA may not necessarily work against you. Just be prepared to explain why you want to switch at this point. You should also understand that none of your credits will transfer to Ross.

ross 2009 (Nov 13, 2006 10:27:28 AM)
Soojin: What is Ross' policy on GMAT scores if the student has taken it multiple times? Will Ross take the highest score, average the scores, or take the highest score from each portion?

Dominic (Nov 13, 2006 10:27:54 AM)
Jim, during the application process how do you weigh accomplishments of different sets of people -- bankers, consultants, techies, opera singer, teacher, etc? The achievements of a sales guy who talks $$$ in 4 or 5 figures might seem easier to identify with than that of a techie who works with inanimate objects.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:28:23 AM)
Dominic: I spend on average 2-3 hours of preparation time before each class in personal preparation. Although many of our coursework entails team projects, there is still a significant amount of work to be done to prepare yourself for class and case discussion.

Indian_Aspirant (Nov 13, 2006 10:28:40 AM)
Mike, please describe a typical day at Ross? thanks

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:29:40 AM)
Dominic: I make no effort to compare the experiences. I am simply trying to assess the quality of the work experience (teamwork, leadership, impact) and trying to determine if there is an element of difference that would benefit the other members of the class. So different is not bad. This is an element of diversity that we also strive for.

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:29:44 AM)
ross2009 - We take the highest GMAT score. And we encourage applicants to retake the test if they are not in the range. Our average GMAT score for enrolled students last year was 701. The middle 80% range was between 650-750. That means that there were students with scores outside of that range, but to maximize your chances for admission, we'd encouraging re-taking the test to get in that range, if possible.

CamiloArango (Nov 13, 2006 10:30:13 AM)
Soojin: Greetings. I have a question for Mr. Soojin: Im an entrepreneur considering attending b-school next year. In my list of universities I'm considering Ross; however, based on the research I have done this far, I can see that its strengths are mostly in Financial, Marketing and General Management. Also, my company is a software development company. Do you think that Ross could be the right school for someone like me, trying to expand its entrepreneur skills, general network and with interest in technology?

ross 2009 (Nov 13, 2006 10:30:27 AM)
Jim: I am coming from what I consider to be a nontraditional business background. What do you advice for someone in my situation regarding the application process?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:30:40 AM)
Indian_Aspirant - I am not sure that there is a typical day as each day is very different with all of the activities that are going on at school here. On average, I have 5 hours of class, 3-4 hours of group meetings/ prep for classes and then additional meeting for clubs/ activities that I am involved with at school. MBA life is very busy, definitely just as busy if not more than my previous job......just a whole lot more fun!

gau0007 (Nov 13, 2006 10:30:54 AM)
Mike: Can you please justify that without competition within classmates, how will we learn to compete in the fast growing market of these days?? As we don't have that competitiveness between diff universities as each work independently of the other. Please resolve this query.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:31:26 AM)
Ross 2009: I am not sure I understand your question. Do you have a more specific question? Otherwise, I would say that the admissions requirements are the same for traditional and non-traditional applicants.

RyanHoff (Nov 13, 2006 10:32:25 AM)
Jim: What is the weight put on GPA vs GMAT score in the selection process? Is it similar, or does one outweigh the other?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:34:15 AM)
gau0007 - Today's working world is not about individual efforts and individual competition between co-workers. It is defined by your ability to work well with others and to achieve great results. A competitive spirit is healthy as it drives you to succeed and to be better. However, in my mind, the real key to success in business comes from learning to work effectively with your peers/ co-workers and to together create powerful results. This is exactly what Ross teaches you.

Indian_Aspirant (Nov 13, 2006 10:34:27 AM)
Mike, from your experience can you tell the most interesting class you attended?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:34:43 AM)
RyanHoff: Neither the GPA or the GMAT is considered in the absolute. The GPA is considered in light of course load, types of courses taken, trends and comparison to other applicants in the pool. If the GPA is lower, then the GMAT takes on more importance. In other words, a lower GPA will always be just that. There is nothing that can be done to change it. A higher GMAT score will serve to minimize any concerns about your ability to handle the academic rigor of most top MBA programs.

Dominic (Nov 13, 2006 10:35:08 AM)
Jim, can ethics ever be taught at B-school? If so, how does Ross approach ethics?

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:35:26 AM)
Camilo - we have very strong opportunities at Ross for students interested in entrepreneurship through our Zell Lurie Institute for Entrepreneurial Studies (http://www.zli.bus.umich.edu/). for example, we have a competition $10K grants to budding entrepreneurs while they are at Ross, we have a Venture Capital Fund that students help direct, we have MAP projects focused on entrepreneurial opportunities, etc.

RyanHoff (Nov 13, 2006 10:35:42 AM)
Soojin: What percentage of students receive some form of a scholarship?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:36:27 AM)
Dominic: We try to embed considerations about business ethics throughout all or most of our course offerings. Many of the case studies we use have some consideration of ethics.

Indian_Aspirant (Nov 13, 2006 10:36:51 AM)
Thanks Jim. To be more specific, "Optional Essay" is the fourth essay in the application form. At the end of online application, there is a provision to upload files for 'Additional information". Can we use both to address issues which will add value to the application?

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:37:41 AM)
RyanHoff - We typically offer over 200 scholarships each year.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:37:50 AM)
Indian_Aspirant - The most interesting class that I have attended is a class in which I am currently enrolled. It is called Business Leadership in Changing Times. The premise of the class is that a key executive from a major Fortune 500 company (ex. Boeing's CEO) comes into the class and we discuss the major crises facing this company and evaluate the executives leadership in dealing with these crises. The first half of the class, students role-play as members of the executive team, competitors, the media, analysts, members of the government, etc. to discuss the crises and the major issues. Then the CEO presents and the class asks questions of him/ her. This has been an amazing class to have the opportunity to both interact with and learn from some of today's most influential business leaders.

gau0007 (Nov 13, 2006 10:38:11 AM)
Soojin: What % of students gets scholarship and what is the criteria of selection?

Dominic (Nov 13, 2006 10:38:34 AM)
Mike, apart from access to Wetfeet and Vault guides, how has the Consulting club prepared you for this career track?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:38:57 AM)
Indian_Aspirant: Got it! The "additional information" referred to at the end of the application would be electronic copies of transcripts, etc. The optional essay should be used to address anything that you think the Admissions Committee needs to know about (e.g., lower GPA, lower GMAT, illnesses or surrounding circumstances that may have impacted your academic performance, resume gaps, etc.).

aquarezia (Nov 13, 2006 10:39:39 AM)
Thanks Linda for arranging this chat - you are doing good job by connecting us with schools.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 10:39:44 AM)
Thanks.

raj (Nov 13, 2006 10:39:57 AM)
Jim: Will the interview be based on resume or complete application?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:40:32 AM)
Raj: The interview will be based on the resume. The interviewer will not have access to the rest of the application at the time of the interview.

TMI (Nov 13, 2006 10:40:44 AM)
Jim: Hi, I have applied for the TMI program... are TMI applicants evaluated on the exact same basis (scores, experience, etc.) as other MBA applicants? (Considering TMI is more of a fusion of engineering & business) or is the fact that the applicant will be part of TMI taken into account?

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:41:09 AM)
gau0007 - Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit, leadership, fit with Ross values, and potential to contribute to and succeed at Ross and beyond. All of these things are gauged via the application; a separate application is not needed.

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:41:17 AM)
Dominic - The consulting club offers resume review, access to case preparation materials as well as case interview practice prep. The consulting club also arranges for major consulting firms to come in and run case competitions as well as educational seminars. They do a very good job at preparing our students, which is seen in the high success of our candidates in landing offers at the top firms.

gau0007 (Nov 13, 2006 10:41:26 AM)
Soojin: What is the minimum experience required for getting admitted to Ross?

Guest (Nov 13, 2006 10:41:38 AM)
Mike - what were you doing for MLB?

Indian_Aspirant (Nov 13, 2006 10:41:45 AM)
Mike: About Ross's outstanding faculty- Can you give an example of a class or project when you were highly impressed by the involvement and commitment of faculty? Thanks a lot for answering my detailed questions

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:41:51 AM)
TMI: The application review for TMI is exactly the same as the review of other applications. The only difference is that TMI's Program Director always does the first read on TMI applications.

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:42:48 AM)
gau0007 - That question was already asked - there is no minimum, but we rarely admit applicants without some full time work experience. The value that the applicant and classmates will get from the Ross MBA program is enhanced by having some work experience.

ross 2009 (Nov 13, 2006 10:42:52 AM)
Clarification on question to Jim: Is there anything in particular you seek from nontraditional business students? Let's say a person coming from an arts background. What do you see as the person's biggest hurdle in the application process?

matt (Nov 13, 2006 10:43:06 AM)
Soojin, can you provide an example of a candidate who should send in an additional recommendation letter to provide you with a clearer picture?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:44:21 AM)
Indian_Aspirant - In general, most of Ross's faculty are extremely available outside of the classroom for office hours/ career advice. A great example is my Marketing core class. Prof. Nordheilm spent numerous hours with her students outside of class to help prepare our marketing presentations/ cases. In addition, she was extremely prepared for class every day, showing us recent commercials/ marketing campaigns. Clearly, she was committed to our learning and was constantly evolving the class so that we were gaining the most from the experience.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:44:23 AM)
ross 2009: I don't see any major additional hurdles for applicants coming from a non-traditional background. In fact, the different experience may be a plus dependant how effectively it is packaged in the essays. Remember, that we are always on the lookout for uniqueness in the application!

Dominic (Nov 13, 2006 10:44:33 AM)
Mike, how difficult has it been for you to get into classes of professors/courses of your liking with the bid system in place? How do you plan to bid your points against recruiters?

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:44:44 AM)
matt - We require only 2 recommendation letters. We do not recommend soliciting additional letters. Therefore, you should think carefully about whom you request recommendations from. Make sure that they know your skills, qualities and potential well. It is better to get someone who knows you well and can give specific examples rather than someone whose title sounds good but doesn't know you well.

Dominic (Nov 13, 2006 10:46:00 AM)
Soojin, will changing jobs around the deadline time of Round two require an in depth explanation of the rationale behind the move while simultaneously applying to Ross?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:46:46 AM)
Dominic - The bidding system for classes is very easy. Since there are such a broad set of interests here at Ross, rarely do students not get into a class that they really want to take. So far, I have taken the exact classes that I wanted and I think that is true for most students here. The same goes for recruiting. Most students do not even use all of their bid points, as they have networked with the company and have found a way to get on their closed list. The bid system for interviews is easy, and again, it is rare that students do not get interviews at their top company choices.

ADDLE (Nov 13, 2006 10:46:48 AM)
Jim: Are interviews the make or break factor or are they a part of the application. What I am specifically asking is that even if u have a bad interview, would u still have a change of getting through based on the rest of your credentials?

CamiloArango (Nov 13, 2006 10:47:01 AM)
Mike, I'm very interested in learning more about live @ Ross. Could you explain us which activities comprise your time in extracurricular activities (club memberships, etc.)?

Indian_Aspirant (Nov 13, 2006 10:47:14 AM)
Thanks a lot, Mike

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:47:32 AM)
No problem....glad I can help.

Indian_Aspirant (Nov 13, 2006 10:47:47 AM)
Jim, Thanks a lot for the clarification

Dominic (Nov 13, 2006 10:47:56 AM)
Soojin: How many reads does an applicant's file get or rather what is the process you follow with each file?

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:47:58 AM)
Dominic - No, changing jobs will not require an in-depth explanation. If you're changing jobs right before the application deadline time, it may be worth mentioning the change and rationale. More importantly, if you do change jobs, make sure that we have your correct contact information so that we transmit our decision to you at the right place.

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:48:27 AM)
ADDLE: In the ideal world, everything in the application would be good. The interview is only a part of the application, albeit an important one. We are looking for confirmation that what is in the rest of the application if borne out during the interview. So prepare yourself for the interview just like you would if you were going for a job interview. A lot is at stake!

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:49:25 AM)
Dominic - The number of reads varies. We need to get two Admissions Committee members to agree on the decision, plus the Director's review. So ultimately, it's at least 3, and sometimes more.

gau0007 (Nov 13, 2006 10:49:27 AM)
Jim: Which are the fields of specialization of Ross?

Dominic (Nov 13, 2006 10:50:01 AM)
Soojin: Are scholarships renewable for the 2nd year?

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:50:11 AM)
Camilio - As for my extracurricular activities, when I came to Ross, I started the Michigan Sports Business Association, which has taken a lot of time to develop. For some of my other activities, I work on the admissions committee, organize special events for UMBSA (our business student organization), participate in Follies and organize The Bus. I also ran GBR, our admitted students weekend, last year. Life is very busy here!!

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:50:29 AM)
Dominic - Our merit scholarships are automatically renewed if students are in good academic standing and enrolled full time in their second year.

Dominic (Nov 13, 2006 10:50:30 AM)
Mike, are you married? How do spouses of MBA students live a life in Michigan?

gau0007 (Nov 13, 2006 10:50:40 AM)
Jim, Soojin and Mike: Can we get your e-mail ids for future communication?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:50:56 AM)
gau0007: While we do not require our students to specialize, you can choose to specialize in any area you like. We have strength in Finance, Strategy, Marketing, International Business, Entrepreneurial Studies and Organizational Behavior (Did I forget any??).

MikeMcGoohanRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:51:12 AM)
No, I am not married, but there are many students here at Ross who are married and do enjoy the Ross MBA experience. Married students and significant others make up a vital part of the community and are actively included in social activities.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 10:51:16 AM)
Soojin: How is hiring going for the class of 07?

JimHayesRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:51:57 AM)
gau0007: my email address is: jphayes@umich.edu.

SoojinKohRoss (Nov 13, 2006 10:52:54 AM)
Linda - While we don't have numbers yet, the on-campus recruiting seems to be going strong. More companies are coming to campus and making more offers. The outlook is very good for our graduating MBAs.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 10:53:04 AM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Soojin, Jim, and Mike.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 10:53:11 AM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats, and here is a list of the upcoming scheduled chats:

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 10:53:19 AM)
Nov. 30 Great Application Essays with Paul Bodine Dec. 5 Consortium Dec. 7 Insead Dec. 14 Cornell Johnson

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 10:53:28 AM)
If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list at http://www.accepted.com/chat/subscribe.aspx#MBA_Admissions .

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2006 10:53:38 AM)
Please check the Web site (http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.aspx#mba ) for additional details.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room