London Business School Admissions Chat with David Simpson Underneath

London Business School Admissions Chat with David Simpson Underneath

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:05:54 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat.

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:06:05 PM)
First I want to welcome all applicants to the London Business School chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about London Business School. Whether you are working hard on your application to prepare for London Business School’s February 23 deadline or you are doing research with the intention of submitting April 27 or even next year, to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice, you need to know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask the London Business School experts about this outstanding business school.

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:06:38 PM)
I also want to welcome David Simpson, Senior Marketing and Admissions Manager; Tamsin Shillitoe, MBA Marketing and Admissions; Diane Morgan, Career Services ; Payton Dobbs, MBA 2007; Grace Maa, MBA 2008; and Rajat Maaker, MBA 2008student.

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:06:45 PM)
Here is a little information about the London Business School students who are joining us today:

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:07:00 PM)
Payton Dobbs, MBA2007, from the USA. Academic background in Civil Engineering and Architecture – Vanderbilt and Harvard. Worked at Deloitte Consulting prior to the MBA. Summer internship at Google in San Fran. Payton spent the autumn term as an exchange student at Kellogg in Chicago. He now has two terms left before he graduates from the MBA.

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:07:07 PM)
Grace Maa, MBA2008, from Taiwn/USA. Grace is in the first year of the MBA. Undergrad in Politics and Political Economy from Princeton. Prior to the MBA worked as a national speaker in Educational Services at The Advisory Board Company (healthcare) in Washington DC.

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:07:15 PM)
Rajat Maaker, MBA2008, from India. Rajat is in the first year of the MBA. Undergrad in Economics from Delhi University. Prior to the MBA he worked as a Project Leader with Electrolux both in Sweden and in Australia.

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:07:28 PM)
Welcome to the chat new-comers and veterans. Thanks to everyone for joining.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:07:29 PM)
Hi everyone - I'm in. Let me introduce myself, I'm David Simpson and I work in Admissions with Tamsin.

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:07:40 PM)
Welcome David.

emergingMBA (Jan 22, 2007 12:08:36 PM)
David, how is the Euro/US $ exchange rate affecting U.S. applicant numbers and LBS's scholarship considerations? Thanks.

RJM (Jan 22, 2007 12:08:52 PM)
Tamsin: Thank you for taking our questions. I am 34 with 5 years experience at Accenture, 5 with a startup and 2 in venture capital (most recent). Am I too old or do I have too much experience to fit into the target profile for admission?

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:09:48 PM)
Payton, could you tell us a little bit about your internships.

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:10:36 PM)
Yes, I spent this summer working at Google's headquarters in Mountain View, CA in their Online Sales & Operations group. I worked on a strategy project for the summer, but will be returning as a manager.

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:10:45 PM)
Payton, Grace, and Rajat: We are a few short weeks away from London Business School's next application deadline (February 23). What advice would you have for applicants aiming to submit in February?

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:10:55 PM)
Congrats Payton!

Krishna (Jan 22, 2007 12:12:51 PM)
@ David : How soon can R2 applicants expect interview calls? Has is started already ?

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:13:00 PM)
I found that essays were both the most dreaded, yet also the most rewarding part of my application process. The best advice is to spend a lot of time thinking about what your real answers are...then start writing. Don't expect that your first go around will be your final essay. And be honest with yourself in your answers. I found I discovered a lot about my own professional and personal priorities during the process.

StefanMargolis (Jan 22, 2007 12:13:34 PM)
Students: I wanted to ask how feasible is it to finish the LBS MBA in 15 month? And how many people do so? Or do most people take the full 21 months?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:13:58 PM)
Hi emergingMBA - good question. Yes the $:£ rate is pretty tough right now, but you need to look at the big picture and think long term investment, (as you all should be). It doesn't seem to be affecting application numbers though - we are doing really well. Now we have to work through them all and pick out the best individuals. We operate a four stage admissions process here at London Business School and due to us recruiting a comparatively small class, we have to build it carefully to create the all important diversity we require. Over the last few years we have worked out our pricing strategy in relation to the possible effects on dollar based economies. We have also taken account of this when looking at scholarships. That said, most scholarships go to the best candidates, wherever they're from.

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:14:09 PM)
RJM As you may be aware we are looking at many aspects with any applicant and so your work experience forms just one part of this. In terms of the amount of experience you have, our range is from around 2 - 12. There is certainly not a maximum age for students taking the MBA and depends on what you want from the experience. It seems that you may well have a lot to contribute and if you have a clear idea of what you hope to achieve with your MBA, there is certainly no stopping you in choosing to apply for this path. You may also like to consider the option of joining the Sloan Fellowship programme. This is a little way on from the MBA and students have typically achieved quite a lot at this stage in their career but chose to follow the programme for similar reasons to those choosing an MBA.

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:14:11 PM)
One of the biggest considerations for me during the application process was compiling letters of recommendation. It helps to plan them well in advance because you want to give your recommenders time to write a well planned rec. You should aim to have people from different areas of your background write for you in order to present a complete picture

_nazli (Jan 22, 2007 12:14:53 PM)
Tamsin: is 1 yrs of experience enough to be accepted to an MBA in LBS

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:15:56 PM)
Stefan, one of my close friends from my study group just finished the MBA in 15 months. It was perfect for him because it gave him the advantage of taking part in a summer internship, while also getting back into the working world quickly. He is married and has two children so it was very important to finish early

Duncan Hart (Jan 22, 2007 12:15:57 PM)
David: is a lower than average GMAT score an obstacle for a successful application?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:16:11 PM)
Hi Krishna, You'll have to wait until the 9 Feb deadline for Stage 2 decisions - we send them out in one go.

Kyle07 (Jan 22, 2007 12:16:27 PM)
David: In the applications that you have reviewed so far for the Class of 2009, what is the range of GMAT scores that you have seen? How do these compare to prior years?

farhan (Jan 22, 2007 12:17:03 PM)
Rajat: I am sure there are a number of applicants from India; I am probably going to be one of them when I decide to apply. A lot of us have similar backgrounds, so how did you manage to stand out?

Krishna (Jan 22, 2007 12:17:06 PM)
Thanks, David.

RJM (Jan 22, 2007 12:17:16 PM)
Tamsin, I appreciate your reply. I will continue my application and explore the Sloan opportunity. Thanks again!

StefanMargolis (Jan 22, 2007 12:17:18 PM)
Thanks Payton!

mba09 (Jan 22, 2007 12:17:49 PM)
Hi Payton, I understand you are involved in the Technology Club at LBS. How did the club help you in getting a position/internship at Google?

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:18:17 PM)
My recommendation for students coming from the US, who might be worried about the exchange rate is to start planning now what your funding options might be. All the different funding options can be very confusing (even more so than the application process!), so definitely shop around...HSBC bank offers a special loan to students, but other banks in the US may offer more favorable rates. Sally Mae also offers up to $8000/year in Gov. loans that do not accrue interest while you're in school. So it's almost free money!

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:18:19 PM)
nazli there is no minimum work experience requirement as such. You should firstly consider whether you are in the right place to start an MBA yourself. I.e. whether you feel that you have enough to build on in order to achieve your post MBA achievements. In addition, do bear in mind that the average is around 6 years and everyone in the class is expected to contribute to each other. You really learn a lot from your class mates. When looking at your application, we are not just looking at your work experience, although in doing so will be keen to see what you have achieved to day, how you have progressed, your international exposure and how all these ties in with your longer term plans.

farhan (Jan 22, 2007 12:18:34 PM)
Grace: In terms of costs, how are the living costs like in London? Are international students permitted to work outside campus?

rlmabc (Jan 22, 2007 12:18:51 PM)
This question is for the LBS students. I am a single 27 year old male for the states. Can any of you please comment on the 'single life' in London?

SW (Jan 22, 2007 12:19:05 PM)
Tamsin: If my application gets turned down, what is the best way to get feedback?

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:20:04 PM)
Welcome Diane.

RajatMaakerLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:20:07 PM)
Farhan, there is a big contingent at London Business School from India. Most of my Indian class mates have had great work experiences but what really differentiates them is that they have something unique to contribute to class discussions - either from their previous work experience or from their hobbies/interests. You should try and really look for those aspects of your application that make you unique.

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:20:46 PM)
Diane, could you tell us a little about the programs that London Business School has to help first year students obtain internships?

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:20:49 PM)
mba09 - Yes, I'm a part of the tech club and it's been a big help in both securing an internship and learning more about the industry from my classmates. One of the highlights is our annual Tech Trek to Silicon Valley. It helped me secure my internship last year and now I'm helping plan it this year. We meet with everyone from the big companies (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft) to startups (Ning) and even designers (IDEO, FrogDesign). Also, we host a VC panel at Stanford GSB and it's a great networking event.

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:21:02 PM)
Hello Everyone, I'm Diane from London Business School Career Services and happy to answer any questions you may have regarding careers.

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:21:09 PM)
Farhan: to be honest, it's been quite an adjustment to being back on a student's budget again, but I'm enjoying it! London's biggest expenses are probably housing and transport. I've chosen to share a house very close by to the school to lower my transportation costs. It works really well to be close to school the first year. My other big expense now is travel. There are so many wonderful opportunities to travel during the program with classmates all over the world. Definitely budget travel into your funding planning!

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:21:33 PM)
Grace, being a student or the budget? ;-)

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:21:40 PM)
Duncan & Kyle 07 - we really do look at all aspects of an application. We have a GMAT range of 600-800, meaning there are students who scored 600 and someone who got the magic 800! So, it depends on how much lower than the average a candidate gets. We look at all academic indicators together to assess your potential to be able to cope with the tough academics on our MBA. However, you need a score within this range to get an offer - not necessarily to get an interview. Right now we just put through a couple of good candidates who haven't yet hit the range - but their work experience, undergrad GPA and essays look very interesting.

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:21:41 PM)
SW Given the nature of our admissions process and the volume that we receive, we are unable to give feedback individually to rejected candidates. We do provide general feedback which you can apply to your application and personal profile. You should also consider exactly what we are looking for from our admissions information. And finally, do remember that this is an extremely competitive process.

mark_2007 (Jan 22, 2007 12:21:47 PM)
Hi David, How has been the application volume this year for R1 and R2? Have you observed a significant increase compared to last year application volume?

Sumeet (Jan 22, 2007 12:21:57 PM)
Tamsin: Can international students apply in R3? Would one be eligible for scholarships?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:22:38 PM)
mark_2007 - application numbers have been very good. However, we won't know how well that translates into great admits until we get further down the track.

SW (Jan 22, 2007 12:22:55 PM)
DAvid: I am a round 2 applicant and would like to visit the campus in the next month. I will be coming to London with my partner. Does LBS allow campus visit with partner?

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:23:00 PM)
Regarding programmes to prepare first year students - Career Services works closely with the faculty when you first enter to assess your interests, motivations and long-term career goals. We then work with you to provide individual coaching session to help you define your job strategy as well as group sessions on networking, cover letters and CVs.

sho (Jan 22, 2007 12:23:12 PM)
How do you find an organization in Shadowing Project, ? I have an interest in high-tech farm.

Virginia Ramirez (Jan 22, 2007 12:24:21 PM)
Payton, did you find it difficult to switch from an architecture and civil engineering background and go into an MBA programme? Were you thinking of combining these different fields later on?

rlmabc (Jan 22, 2007 12:25:00 PM)
Grace: As a US citizen I was wondering how US students pay for air travel back to the states. Is there a student air travel agency, or something to help you get back home?

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:25:02 PM)
Sumeet As you may be aware, nearly 90% of our students are international. Therefore none of our admissions are reserved for UK or for international applicants. Yes, R3 applicants can apply for scholarships and will be eligible for consideration of Annual Fund awards. Around 25% of MBA 2008 received some form of School scholarship.

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:25:18 PM)
rlmabc - Although I'm not single, I can take your question on what life's like as a single male in London. Both of my previous roommates were fairly active "daters." They met plenty of people both through the school and outside the program. Overall, I think London is a great place to be single because there are so many people here from all over the world and so many great restaurants, pubs, etc. Plus, the traveling is great.

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 12:25:22 PM)
Tamsin: First of all, I would like to sincerely thank Accepted and the panel for offering the opportunity for such a chat session. Secondly, I would like to ask the panel the private-business focus of the program. On the recent podcast, Julia Tyler stated that civil work or government work is not ideally matched with LBS grads. With this in mind, what about summer internships or projects with non-profit organizations?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:25:26 PM)
SW - sure - and we welcome partners visiting - after all, it's not just your decision!

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:25:36 PM)
Regarding working, if you're on a Student Visa, you are not permitted to work more than 20hrs/week. Plus, it's very difficult to juggle class schedules with a job. I believe the school does not allow students to work full-time during their first year to help students balance and adjust to the workload.

Bally (Jan 22, 2007 12:25:48 PM)
Hi David, in the essay - Describe any experiences outside of your home country. What did you gain from these? - I don't have any international exposure, is international exposure mandatory?

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:26:43 PM)
Dear Sho, from a career perspective, the shadowing project is a great opportunity for you to get to know the real business of an organization that you may be interested in and for them to get to know you. It is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about a business you might already know or start at the complete beginning of a company you are just starting to explore. It is a very personal experience but a wonderful way to network and learn.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:26:52 PM)
B'school-itis Let me answer for Rajat - you have 4 weeks after our offer to decide and then pay a Commitment Fee of £1500. We ask for a larger fee deposit later in the year.

zaro (Jan 22, 2007 12:27:08 PM)
David, what kind of options do international students have for educational loans to London Business School ?

Gaurav (Jan 22, 2007 12:27:52 PM)
Grace: Could you tell me more about the 'Business in Government Club' and who are some of the distinguished speakers that have visited campus through this club?

B'school-itis (Jan 22, 2007 12:28:38 PM)
Rajat: what happens once an applicant is accepted in to the MBA program? What are the next steps, and how long does he or she have to make a decision?

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:28:39 PM)
Virginia - Good question. I was originally considering leveraging my background in engineering/math to transition to finance. After pursuing this path a little more in depth, I re-evaluated and focused my energy in technology. The great thing is I was able to do this because the way our recruiting process is structured. Typically, the big banks and consultancies come on campus first and then they're followed by industry companies later.

sho (Jan 22, 2007 12:29:09 PM)
Payton: I have engineering background. What percentage of people whose background is engineering in LBS?

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:29:09 PM)
rlmabc - There are great travel discounts for students! Every weekend, it seems my classmates are popping off to different parts of the world. Being here has taught me a lot of world geography. Definitely sign up for an ISIC student discount card when you arrive and you will find some terrific deals. Virgin Atlantic runs pretty terrific travel discounts to the States, but to be honest, I've been so busy traveling in Europe that I haven't made the trek back to the US yet. This past winter break, I spent about £400 pounds flying from London to Barcelona to Lisbon, then Rome and back to London. Pretty good deals on Ryan Air and STA travel for example.

farhan (Jan 22, 2007 12:29:28 PM)
Thanks Rajat and Grace.

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:29:56 PM)
Dear Marianne, there are definitely opportunities available in the public sector and you will have the chance to meet with organization representatives at the events held by the Net Impact club. in addition, there are alumni within these sectors that are usually happy to talk about their experiences. It becomes a personal decision if the public sector is where you would like to start your career as often students chose to go into areas with more formal training and recognition of the value of the MBA degree. I must say, salary is often a deciding factor as well!

Virginia Ramirez (Jan 22, 2007 12:30:09 PM)
Is there a way I can get in touch with Payton some other time through email? His background is very similar to mine (architecture) and I am most curious about how he found the career transition to be.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:30:16 PM)
Bally - no problem - international exposure is not compulsory, but you need to think of a way to answer that question - perhaps regarding aspirations

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 12:31:04 PM)
I would like to ask the MBA participants, Grace, Payton, and Rajat about their involvement in student groups. I find LBS's focus on student participation to be quite unique among European MBAs, although quite important in establishing long-lasting and meaningful networks. Please comment on your involvement and experiences.

Bhagat (Jan 22, 2007 12:31:17 PM)
David: I am a R2 applicant who hasn't heard anything from London Business School yet (and I guess I am not alone) about any missing documents in my file etc., and the deadline is more than 2 weeks past now. Does that mean that there is nothing missing in my file or is there a possibility that I can still be contacted for missing documents and still considered for R2?

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:31:34 PM)
Zaro, I can help you with the loans question. The School has an agreement with HSBC to offer loans to London Business School students. Whilst, this is not guaranteed, many students do opt for this, especially, if they do not have loan options from their home country. The loan does not require a co-signer or guarantor either. You can apply for up to £50,000 and will work with our Financial Aid Officer on your application. There are also many grants and other external funding sources which we would recommend you research. There is plenty of information on our website.

RajatMaakerLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:31:45 PM)
B-school-itis, David has answered your question. Hope its all clear now

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:31:47 PM)
sho - Engineering backgrounds made up 7% of the MBA2008 class, but it changes every year. Altogether, there really isn't one overwhelming population. There's really a good cross-section of backgrounds.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:32:15 PM)
Bhagat - we will only contact you if there's anything missing and it's stopping us from giving a decision on 9 Feb. We have hundreds of applications to get through.

stuti (Jan 22, 2007 12:33:01 PM)
Tamssin, What does the adcom judge from the essays??

Bhagat (Jan 22, 2007 12:33:20 PM)
Payton: How many Civil Engineering undergrads are there in your class?

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:33:25 PM)
Dear Mytwes, London Business School is wonderful place for entrepreneurs! We have wonderful faculty that have experience in this area and the SEE (Summer Entrepreneurship Experience) is a great way to think about a business from the ground up. You will have the opportunity to create a business plan and successful plans get presented to a group of investors. It is usually a relatively small percentage of the class that will go into their own business immediately upon graduation but if you are interested, it is entirely possible.

Sumeet (Jan 22, 2007 12:33:27 PM)
Thanks Tamsin

Virginia Ramirez (Jan 22, 2007 12:33:41 PM)
Thank you!

Madhu (Jan 22, 2007 12:33:49 PM)
Diane, which has been the single most common trait among successful career changers to have passed through LBS career services ?

bing (Jan 22, 2007 12:33:59 PM)
Hi, Rajat or Grace: Which student clubs have you joined and what are the impacts of being a member of these clubs towards your study? Thanks!

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:34:42 PM)
Gaurav: the Business in Government Club is a new club here on campus, started just last year. The goal to help students think more integratively about the mutual impact between public policy and business. Very important in this global age. Last year, the club brought in a speaker from the Prime Minister's Strategy group and also organized a trip to the US Embassy for a talk on US-EU relations. The club now has over 300 members from the London Business School community.

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:35:07 PM)
Mary Ferreira is also with admissions and I will start directing questions to her too.

farhan (Jan 22, 2007 12:35:39 PM)
Mary: I am thinking of waiting another year before applying to LBS. How can I most effectively utilize this time to increase my chances of getting accepted? Working for a large company (Microsoft), it is hard to take leadership positions right off from the start - is there anything else I can do to prove my worth?

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:36:32 PM)
applicant_07, The number of applications that we receive from stage to stage and year to year vary to much to give a clear insight. Last year we received around 1800 applications in total. As David mentioned we have seen a good start to the year in terms of applicant numbers, however; we won't know until the end of the year the exact impact this will have on our total application volume.

RajatMaakerLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:36:36 PM)
Marianne, I am involved in quite a few professional and social clubs. The professional clubs - consulting, finance, private equity etc are extremely helpful in networking with the business community in London. I have personally benefited immensely from my involvement with the consulting club. The social clubs - are a great way to enjoy student life once again. And in a school like London Business School - with such diversity - the clubs are a lot of fun. I have had a great time going for the events organized by the India club, the Spanish club, the Japan club etc

Kyle07 (Jan 22, 2007 12:36:45 PM)
Tamsin: I am an officer in the US Navy with six years of shipboard and communications experience. How many applications do you typically see from personnel with military experience and what are the common weaknesses, if any, in them? Also, how does the admissions board typically view applicants with military backgrounds? Do military personnel normally fit in with the rest of the class, especially when it comes to catching up on the quantitative side of the curriculum?

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:36:54 PM)
Dear Madhu, many students chose London Business School to make a career switch so we have lots of experience in this area. Targeting companies and industries that you are passionate about and researching, talking to fellow classmates and contacts in the school community in those fields will allow you to prepare. Research, preparation and perseverance allow students to successfully career switch. Also, getting involved early in the clubs that are in your area of interest will allow you to see the best ways to take your current skills and transfer them to your new desire role.

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:37:01 PM)
Bhagat - I can't say for certain how many civil engineering undergrads are in our class specifically, but I'm one of them! I actually studied civil engineering with a concentration in structural design. I think it's been a very useful background because it trains you to be analytical and methodical in your problem solving abilities. Plus, hopefully you'll find finance and accounting come a little easier than most!

Bernard Koszyk (Jan 22, 2007 12:37:15 PM)
Hi David and greetings from Benito Juarez airport lounge - just a quick question - will all the interview decisions be sent on Feb 9th?

dm2824 (Jan 22, 2007 12:37:33 PM)
Diane Hi, I have work experience of 7+ yrs primarily in Commercial Banking on the Retail side and I am looking at a transition into Invest Banking/ Corporate Finance or may be Consulting, how can LBS help me move in right direction

_nazli (Jan 22, 2007 12:37:54 PM)
I am also a Deloitte employer and I would also like to contact Payton later if possible..

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:38:36 PM)
Virgina - I've sent you a separate chat with contact info. Feel free to reach out to me regarding the transition from architecture to business anytime.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:39:01 PM)
Bernard - yes, the interview decisions will be sent out 9 Feb.

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:39:03 PM)
One of the most active clubs on campus is the Women in Business Club. This year, we have 28% women in my 2008 class, one of the highest %'s out of all the business schools I looked at and it truly helps to foster an engaged community of women on campus. This past fall, I was involved with organizing the Women in Business Conference on campus and we brought in senior executives from across diverse industries...from Energy to Entrepreneurship. Attendance was high and there are a number of different events throughout the school year, including small group breakfasts with representatives from companies that are looking to hire students. I really enjoy the opportunity to network with other women and to learn a great deal about their professionals experiences.

Nafees (Jan 22, 2007 12:39:09 PM)
Hi David, I'm a medical doctor in the UK and hoping to attend LBS this coming Autumn. I wanted to apply for the third round deadline, but did my GMAT last week and scored 620. I will now probably have to wait until round four to apply after retaking my GMAT. I'm wondering how much more competitive round four is in comparison to round three?

RajatMaakerLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:39:28 PM)
Bing, I have joined quite a few clubs. Just wrote about it to Marianne. Clubs are a good way to complement the hectic academic curriculum at school. Its a great way to experience student life, have fun but at the same time be able to pursue your interests and inclinations. Students are encouraged to start a club if there is enough interest. In fact my study group mate just started the motor racing club yesterday!

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:39:53 PM)
Payton, Grace, and Rajat: What attracted you to London Business School? Has your experience met your expectations?

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:39:57 PM)
_nazil - I'll send you my contact info and feel free to contact me regarding Deloitte. It's a great place to work before business school.

B'school-itis (Jan 22, 2007 12:40:19 PM)
Thanks for answering that David

zaro (Jan 22, 2007 12:40:22 PM)
thanks tamsin

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:40:23 PM)
Dear dm2824, you will want to highlight your analytical skills and client exposure that were a key part of your retail banking experience to the investment side. I'd recommend joining the finance club, taking a look at the CVs of the students that have made this transition and seeing the key areas that they pulled out of their experiences. Coming from retail this will often be the client exposure, multi-regional focus and general management skills that make you an outstanding team leader/member

zaro (Jan 22, 2007 12:40:52 PM)
Diane - I am very interested in the Media Club and area of media management. Can you highlight some positions for which companies from media industry recruit for?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:40:56 PM)
Nafees - apply in stage 3 and let us know that you're retaking the GMAT. As I mentioned in an earlier posting, we look at everything together, recognizing that GMAT can be improved separately. That way you are not delaying the process, (especially for planning from your side).

mark_2007 (Jan 22, 2007 12:42:10 PM)
David, In you opinion what are the strongest points of LBS MBA program that would prepare students for a successful career in business/management?

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:42:28 PM)
Stuti When looking at essays we are firstly looking for a clear answer to the question answered. Simple as it sounds, something that is not always delivered. We really want to know who you are in your application and the essays are the best way for your to tell us. We are looking for clear research on your reasons for choosing London Business School to study your MBA and a good understanding of what you hope to achieve. Do remember that the admissions team are reading hundreds of applications. This is your chance to stand out and tell us exactly who you are and what makes you tick. Be sure to give real examples to back up something you want to tell us about. For example in demonstrating the actual tasks you took on in project work

mark_2007 (Jan 22, 2007 12:42:53 PM)
Tamsin: What are the acceptance chances in Round 3 as compared to round 1 or round 2?

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:43:20 PM)
Dear Zaro, The Media group on campus is extremely active in many different areas - technology, music, publishing, etc. There are many companies in the media space looking to MBAs to lead new product development and expansion strategies. Companies such as Amazon, Google, Bertlesman post jobs for students and individual students have worked for the television and music industry. The Media club holds a Media summit and a meet the media event each year so you will have a lot of exposure.

RajatMaakerLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:43:26 PM)
Linda, London Business School attracted me for several reasons. Firstly, having worked in different countries, I was keen to study in an international environment. London Business School has a very diverse student body and faculty. Furthermore, since my partner was just finishing grad school, we wanted to move to a place where she could start working immediately. There is nothing better than London for that. Finally, I was convinced about the 2-yr program. Taken together - I had little doubt that London Business School was perfect for me.

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:43:39 PM)
Being from California, I get the question of, 'Why did you decide to come to London?' A LOT! My personal feeling is that the two years of my MBA is not just for my professional development, but for my personal development as well. I really thought carefully about how and where I wanted to develop. Having lived on 3 continents, I wanted to continue to challenge myself in a global learning environment. Here at London Business School, most students have lived/worked in 2-3 different countries! For the first time, I truly feel like I'm in a community of likeminded individuals who are not afraid to push themselves outside their comfort zone. That to me is exciting! But the best way to decide on a school is to visit. There's really no substitute. Go visit the campuses, sit in on a class and you'll find out very quickly if it's the right place for you. Oh, one other thing...go to school where you think you want to work someday. It really helps with building a lasting professional network. A large % of European business school students come to work in London after graduation. Ask the schools you're considering where their grads end up after graduation and you'll get a good sense if the school fits your plans.

StefanMargolis (Jan 22, 2007 12:44:11 PM)
Diane: I wanted to know if there are many people going into Private Equity after LBS? and is it obligatory to have pre experience in this industry? or is a top management consulting firm fine? how are the chances to get into PE after an LBS MBA?

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 12:44:15 PM)
Rajat, thank you. You seem to be quite well-connected through and well-balanced among the various types of activities.

Madhu (Jan 22, 2007 12:44:19 PM)
Thanks Diane !

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:44:25 PM)
Regarding the shadowing project, I undertook mine over the summer after my internship with a hedge fund manager in Palm Beach, FL. This year they are optional, but I thought it was a great way to make an introduction and learn more about a new industry. Essentially, you "shadow" a manager or leader for one week and then evaluate all the skills and attributes that make them successful. It was a really great experience.

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 12:44:32 PM)
Grace, thank you. The Women in Business Club is definitely one that I feel that I can contribute to and learn much from as well.

MaryFerreiraLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:44:33 PM)
Hi Farhan, thanks for the question. At London Business School so much of how you contribute and benefit from the MBA experience relates to relevant experience which you can share with your peer group - both in class, in study group and in applied project situations. If you are applying to business school more medium term then I would see what additional/alternative opportunities you might have at work and outside work - from seeing if you can get involved with a new professional project to getting involved with extra curricular activities. A lot of the firms that recruit MBA students at London Business School for example are interested in seeing people's team and leadership examples from outside work - everything from volunteering in your local community to team based sports. If you have another one to two years before applying to business school then we would advise doing this additional activity in an area that really grabs your interest - as that is where you will thrive and where you will be able to

bing (Jan 22, 2007 12:44:35 PM)
thanks Rajat!

Gaurav (Jan 22, 2007 12:44:44 PM)
Rajat: How overrepresented is the Indian-IT applicant pool?

_nazli (Jan 22, 2007 12:44:46 PM)
Thanks a lot Payton

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:44:51 PM)
mark_2007 - that is a big question. A bit too big to answer here. MBAs help prepare people for many career choices and we think ours can prepare people looking specifically for global flexibility i.e. the skills, attributes and networks to work in leadership positions anywhere in the world. Of course it's down to an individual to build on their own experiences and strengths, but we can present amazing opportunities in many sectors.

dm2824 (Jan 22, 2007 12:45:05 PM)
Thanks Diane

klein (Jan 22, 2007 12:45:33 PM)
Mary: -In the best essay you read this year, what stood out the most?

Bally (Jan 22, 2007 12:46:05 PM)
David: How can we contact current students or alumni? Do you have any portal for this?

RajatMaakerLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:46:05 PM)
Gaurav, it depends on what you mean by over-represented. I think the school has its fair share of Indian IT-students who add a lot of value to class discussions and study group meetings. Although, I don't have an IT background - a lot of my friends do.

sandy (Jan 22, 2007 12:46:37 PM)
Tamsin: Is a re-applicant entertained ?

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:46:49 PM)
Follow-up: Any suggestions for reapplicants?

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:47:20 PM)
Regarding "why LBS?" I was attracted to the school's strength in finance, international exposure and London location. The location is one of the best, not only for business, but also for culture, arts, etc.

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:47:20 PM)
Payton, Grace, and Rajat: What has been your best class? Professor?

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:47:41 PM)
On the first day of the course, they had us stand up as our country was called out. What a rush! Just seeing all the different countries represented. I believe we have 50+ different countries represented as part of our class this year and 70+ languages spoken. That is _real_ diversity. It's thrilling to be in an environment where the world comes to you.

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:48:37 PM)
Dear StefanMargolis - the good news is that the percentage of people going into private equity doubled from 2005 to 2006, however, that number is still a very small percentage for the class, approximately 6% this past year. Experience from a top management consulting firm or IB is always valued. Often, PE firms will offer project work through contacts on campus (meaning they won't mass recruit) and students can gain experience during the summer. However, to land the fulltime position you need to have the relevant experience for that particular firm and it is very competitive. The Private Equity club has a great networking event on campus each year and the contacts that you make here, with your management consulting experience can put you in a good position for PE. If not immediately upon graduation, as a long-term career goal

Bhagat (Jan 22, 2007 12:48:55 PM)
Payton: How has LBS experience helped you as a Civil Engineer to transition to the "Google" job?

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:49:35 PM)
Diane, how is recruiting looking for 2007 grads?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:49:37 PM)
mark_2007 - let me answer that for Tamsin Acceptance rates are not dependent to which of the stages you apply in. If a candidate is strong, they get an offer. It usually changes a bit by the final stage (4), as we usually fill up. However, we know the best people don't always apply early! So we hold back places even in Stage 4. It makes for a pretty crazy and long year - but worth it when we see the 300 talented individuals together making up the diverse and amazing class.

Gaurav (Jan 22, 2007 12:50:00 PM)
Mary: Does London Business School offer pre-term courses to 'warm-up' before the MBA courses?

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:50:01 PM)
StefanMargolis - for exact numbers on PE - check out the recently published 2006 employment report at: http://www.london.edu/careerimpact.html

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:50:22 PM)
Kyle07 We are seeing a growing number of application from candidates with military experience who are looking to make a career change or to go back with the leadership skills they develop here on the MBA. Every year we take on students from military bodies around the world who add a good dynamic to the class and study groups. Much of the work experience from these candidates is transferable, for example strong team and leadership skills, strong drive, experience with project work, international exposure. Academically, it is important that all applicants are able to do well. Having said that, with candidates from so many different backgrounds, many have different strengths to contribute. The collaborative learning environments means that expertise are shared. When it comes to recruitment, students with military backgrounds tend to do very well and are often sought after by consulting firms.

applicant07 (Jan 22, 2007 12:50:24 PM)
David, if I am not admitted this year, what new could bring in my application next year to increase my chances

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:51:22 PM)
Bally - you can do that online right now!

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:51:28 PM)
Regarding my favorite class and professor, I'd have to recommend Brand Management with Mark Ritson. I just took it a couple weeks ago during a block week and I was very impressed. Mark is very well respected and most recently came off some consulting work with Louis Vuitton. He is a true entertainer and the cases we went through were awesome.

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:51:42 PM)
As a past entrepreneur, I am really excited about my new course this semester, 'Discovering Entrepreneurial Opportunities'. This is one of our core classes (everyone must take the course), but it's the first time it's being offered. I believe only one other business school is offering something similar right now. The objective of the course is to change students' mindsets, no matter if you're starting up a business or working in a large multi-national conglomerate. Being entrepreneurial is a state of mind! I really enjoy how well DEO integrates all the other skills we're learning in class and flips everything around to force us to think 'outside the box'.

MaryFerreiraLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:51:44 PM)
Hi Klein. Thanks for posting such a topical question! We are right in the thick of our admissions process so we are not yet near the end of essay reading. What I can say is that the essays are one of the key elements of the MBA application. It is also your opportunity to reflect carefully about what you hope to get out of the specific opportunities that the London Business School can bring. Therefore it is worth spending time about what you really want to communicate in relation to each essay as this is the chance to tell your story. If we do another chat during the summer (after the end our MBA admissions cycle) we will be in more of a position to comment on some of the essay content that caught our attention!

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:51:54 PM)
Linda, it is a great year to be an MBA graduate! We are really seeing an uptake in opportunities and the breadth of industries looking to bring MBAs into their leadership teams is expanding each year. Much on-campus recruitment for graduating students happens in the Autumn term and job postings in the spring and summer. Great opportunities, around the world, are coming in

rlmabc (Jan 22, 2007 12:52:09 PM)
David: A question regarding the interview. What applicant traits do you hope to learn more about?

wallpk (Jan 22, 2007 12:53:05 PM)
Mary: How important is brand-name? I grew up in Pakistan, graduated from a university you may not have heard of, and have worked in organizations you may not have heard of either. Would I be at a disadvantage from others?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:53:08 PM)
applicant07 - I can't answer that without seeing the full application and what elements it may lack. In fact, not always even then. More often than not it's simply a case of having a competitive applicant pool and a small class size - rather than anything specifically wrong with your app. Anyway, let's not think that way! Good luck with your application

mba09 (Jan 22, 2007 12:53:14 PM)
Students: Is technology management (TM) a popular concentration among LBS students?

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:53:15 PM)
Hi Everyone, I'm going to sign off in a few minutes so please let me know if you have any additional Career Questions.

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:53:33 PM)
Bhagat - London Business School has helped the transition to Google through the people. Of course, the classes have been great and I've learned a ton that I hope to put into practice, but working with so many bright and diverse people here will be even more valuable when moving into an equally dynamic environment.

Nafees (Jan 22, 2007 12:53:48 PM)
Thanks a lot David for your advice. I'm grateful.

StefanMargolis (Jan 22, 2007 12:54:02 PM)
thanks diane for the info!

Bally (Jan 22, 2007 12:54:04 PM)
Diane: How has been recruitment by Energy Companies in recent yrs? What's is the average salary offered by them?

bing (Jan 22, 2007 12:54:16 PM)
Mary: Could you tell me a bit more about Drop-in Sessions please? Thanks!

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:54:18 PM)
rlmabc - I'm not going to give too much away on that - as part of the process is how you interpret what we may require. All I will say is you need to 'know yourself' and have a clear idea of where you want to go and how we can help, (i.e. know as much as possible about what we do here at London Business School).

Kyle07 (Jan 22, 2007 12:54:22 PM)
Tamsin--thank you so much for the information on military applicants. Is there any way that I could get in touch with one of your current students who is former military in order to learn more about his/her experience at LBS?

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:54:28 PM)
Sandy, yes applicants that have been previously rejected, can reapply. We would expect to see that their application has stepped up a notch. This may be in terms of work experience, academics or their overall presentation and polish. It is worth noting that we do ask a handful of candidates to reapply if we feel they may be strong applicant but not for this year. If you are planning to re-apply, do be sure to get new reference, write new essays, and really address exactly how you feel your application is stronger for consideration this year.

RajatMaakerLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:54:32 PM)
farhan, let me answer that for Tamsin. I came here with my partner who was just finishing her graduation. She was eager to start working as soon we got to London. London Business School's partner club really helped her a lot with that and a lot more. It's true that student life is hectic and it can be very difficult for partners. The partner's club at school is very active and there is almost something on all the time. I sometimes feel that Emma - my partner, knows more people at school than me. As we speak, she is at a Spanish class - organized by the partner's club. Apart from that being in London really helps!

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 12:54:34 PM)
Grace, I am also a past entrepreneur excited about the new course. I would like to ask your opinion of the coverage LBS does on Asian markets and business.

Sumeet (Jan 22, 2007 12:54:45 PM)
For Diane - What opportunities exist for students interested in brand management?

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 12:55:21 PM)
Tamsin: I would like to ask about the information sessions. I was unfortunately not able to attend the sessions near Taiwan this past fall. How much of an impact does participation in such events play in the acceptance of a student? I have done my homework on LBS and feel that I have a great feel of the school (which has led to my determination to join LBS), but I worry that a lack of participation may translate as a lack of interest to the admissions board.

mba09 (Jan 22, 2007 12:55:41 PM)
David: Will I be at any disadvantage if I submit my application a day before the deadline versus if I submitted it a week before the deadline?

MaryFerreiraLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:55:49 PM)
Gaurav: re pre-term courses. Each summer we might have a handful of incoming students who come a few weeks early to practice their listening, reading, writing and speaking skills in English. Otherwise, all the MBA students start the programme together with the MBA Orientation programme which is a great way for the class to bond during the first few weeks of the MBA. So, for the past few years the MBA class has started at the very end of August. Most of the incoming students tend to arrive from mid-July onwards in order to get settled and organize their accommodation.

rlmabc (Jan 22, 2007 12:56:00 PM)
Mary: Does adcom consider the region within a country an applicant resides when building a diverse class? For example, does the fact an applicant is from New York or Kansas influence diversity considerations?

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:56:00 PM)
I would echo what Payton said about learning from your fellow classmates. The learning is incredibly valuable and not always something you could learn in a classroom. I've learned so much about different industries and professional cultures from my classmates---plus, they can give you the most honest feedback about your strengths and weakness. Very valuable learning that's difficult to get in an outside environment.

B'school-itis (Jan 22, 2007 12:56:44 PM)
Students: Any notable differences to the school post Dean Laura Tyson and pre Dean Robin Buchanan's tenure? Are people excited about the incoming Dean?

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:57:03 PM)
Follow-up question: What changes do you anticipate with Dean Buchanan at the helm?

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:57:05 PM)
Dear Bally, Energy Opportunities have been growing, very much in part to the efforts of the Energy club that launched a Global Energy Summit this year in early November. We already have the second one planned and you can see the details on the energy club website at http://www.londonenergyclub.org.uk/. BP, Shell, Total, Chevron, BG group are some of the oil companies that recruit. In addition many of the banks and consultants will recruit for their energy/trading practices. Average salaries vary each year but details are available for the past year at http://www.london.edu/careerimpact.html

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 12:57:19 PM)
Thank you Diane for joining us.

Kyle07 (Jan 22, 2007 12:57:34 PM)
Does Diane have a separate email address available so that I can contact her regarding commercial real estate recruiters?

Bhagat (Jan 22, 2007 12:57:39 PM)
Thanks Payton and good luck!

_nazli (Jan 22, 2007 12:57:51 PM)
Diane thanks for everything..

applicant07 (Jan 22, 2007 12:58:01 PM)
Did any of the students present in the chat room participate in the exchange program?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 12:58:52 PM)
Marianne - Let me get that. If we only visit your country once then we understand that it may have not been possible to attend. With limited resources we can't visit everywhere we'd like to go, so we certainly don't judge people on that. However, if you were based in the UK...I'd expect you to visit!!!!

Kyle07 (Jan 22, 2007 12:59:15 PM)
Tamsin--Thank you so very much for Keegan's information. I am writing to you over a satellite connection from the middle of the Kuwaiti desert, so I definitely need to make use of all available resources!

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 12:59:22 PM)
David, I believe someone asked this question during the beginning of the chat, but I couldn't find an answer to it: How long after submission of an application should we expect to wait until hearing about interviews?

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 12:59:53 PM)
mba09 As long as we receive your application by the deadline there are no disadvantages. Just make sure that you are completely happy that your application best reflects you.

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:00:13 PM)
B'school-itis - Good to see you've been keeping up with the school's current events! From a student's perspective, I think it's pretty exciting. Dean Tyson really helped raise the profile of the school and now we're hoping to keep up the momentum.

Bally (Jan 22, 2007 1:00:22 PM)
TAmsin - I wanted to contact current students or alumni from my energy sector, pl help

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 1:00:22 PM)
Dear Sumeet, opportunities in brand management are growing but are a relatively small recruitment pool in Europe. It really depends on the experience you have prior to coming to School, how dedicated you are to the sector once you arrive and your preparation. Career Services and the marketing club will assist you build your CV, target the right recruiters and train you through marketing workshops. However passion for the products is key and will really help you land your job. Students have gone to LVMH, L'Oreal to work in brand management as well as to Google and Yahoo in Product Development.

Gaurav (Jan 22, 2007 1:00:52 PM)
Students: What are the accommodation options within and around the campus?

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 1:00:59 PM)
Kyle07 That is fine, I am sure he will be able to give you a good insight.

klein (Jan 22, 2007 1:01:16 PM)
TAmsin or students: Is there a club at LBS that deals with distressed companies or workouts? Also, have you heard of many recent grads being recruited into the distressed corporate finance community in London?

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:01:29 PM)
Marianne: Since it's only been my first term on campus, I'm not sure if I can give you a comprehensive view of the Asia coverage in our courses yet. There is an Asia trek every year that is organized by students to visit the banks and to get a first-hand experience of the Asia market. During classroom discussions, many of my classmates from Asian countries will have first hand knowledge of their markets and add their insight. I find the difference between London Business School and other schools is that here we often have 5-10 students from each region of the world in a course that can provide multiple perspectives, while other schools may have much fewer students from different regions of the world.

RajatMaakerLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:01:59 PM)
Linda, regarding my favorite course. There are so many great courses at school, but Understanding General management - our first course was absolutely brilliant. All classes revolved around a case discussion - usually from different industries. basically, its a great way to start b-school. We discussed all issues faced by a general manager - basically an intro to strategy. What was most amazing about this class was that I learnt more from my class mates than from the professor - and he was great!

klein (Jan 22, 2007 1:02:29 PM)
Dianemorganlbs - Do you know if restructuring and/or turnaround and workouts is a popular post MBA career option for LBS grads?

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 1:02:58 PM)
Thank you so much David. If I travel to Europe in the near future, I will be sure to stop by London for a visit!

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 1:02:58 PM)
Bally, the best way forward would be to get in touch with the energy club. You can look at www.londonsa.org

sbharath (Jan 22, 2007 1:03:14 PM)
Students: On an average what is the expense an overseas student is likely to incur over his stay in LBS?

Sumeet (Jan 22, 2007 1:03:18 PM)
Thanks Diane

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 1:03:27 PM)
Payton, Rajat and Grace: What would you state are the greatest personal challenges that you were forced to overcome, regarding the MBA programme itself?

B'school-itis (Jan 22, 2007 1:03:29 PM)
Payton, thanks for the comment.

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:03:44 PM)
Garuv: can you be more specific in your question regarding accommodations?

MaryFerreiraLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:03:47 PM)
rlmabc. You posted a question about regions. The most important thing is the caliber of the overall application that has been submitted and the focus and potential of that individual. Therefore, it means that some years we may have 5 students of a particular nationality and another intake we may have 10. As I am sure you will have gathered, we have a class that is very diverse with people who have lived and worked all over the place. The MBA2008 intake has plenty of students who have worked in New York but it also includes students from all sorts of other cities in the United States - i.e. no preference given to Atlanta over Chicago or vice versa.

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 1:04:41 PM)
Goodbye everyone! Hope to see you at London Business School one day! Diane

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 1:04:49 PM)
Thanks Diane.

Josh (Jan 22, 2007 1:05:07 PM)
Grace, as a fellow Californian who dreams of being surrounded by a group of 300 truly diverse people, thanks for your input today. You summed up the international benefits of LBS very well.

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:05:14 PM)
applicant07 - I just got back from exchange! I actually went to Kellogg this past fall term. It may not be as exciting as some of the further places, but it's a great school and I had a great experience. Plus, my girlfriend is a second year there and now she's here at London Business School on exchange. For me, it was really important to expand my network back in the US, since I'm returning so soon, and I was able to make a lot of great contacts. Overall, exchange terms are very popular, with almost a third of our class taking part one term or another.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:05:36 PM)
Bschoolitis - difficult to make comparisons yet. In fact, there will be little point in doing so even after Robin joins us. We are fortunate to have been led by Laura for a few years and she has taken us forward brilliantly. In my experience, each dean brings different qualities, (and we have been lucky to have had some amazing people), but the School keeps moving after any change. From a staff perspective - we're really looking forward to working with Robin - his background at Bain is impressive.

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:05:49 PM)
Garuv: There a number of buildings near campus that are always full of students. Those flats seem to rotate through students every year. Other popular areas to live are: St. John's Wood, Swiss Cottage, or Maida Vale. There really are a lot of options, and it's definitely not as daunting as it may seem.

Kyle07 (Jan 22, 2007 1:06:05 PM)
Thanks Diane! I will be sending you an email in the very near future.

Bally (Jan 22, 2007 1:06:10 PM)
Thanks, Diane. I m working with BP in India & BP itself recommends London Business School. How tough is to get a work permit in UK post MBA?

applicant07 (Jan 22, 2007 1:06:13 PM)
thank you Diane

RJM (Jan 22, 2007 1:06:16 PM)
Thank you all.

RajatMaakerLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:06:32 PM)
sbharath, expenses differ and depend on your budget. Most of it is probably accommodation. A fairly accurate split is given at the school's website: http://www.london.edu I personally, spend about 1200 GBP a month.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:06:35 PM)
Marianne, check out the advertised dates. Interview notification - Stage 2 is 9 Feb, Stage 3 - 3 April.

Sumeet (Jan 22, 2007 1:06:42 PM)
All: What would make LBS unique as compared to other top schools?

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 1:06:50 PM)
Thank you Grace. As a "Westerner" currently working in Taiwan, I feel it is more and more important for mutual understanding and respect for both East and West to gain in today's market. I appreciate your input very much

Sumeet (Jan 22, 2007 1:07:00 PM)
David: What would be top 3-4 majors at LBS?

MBA LBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:07:41 PM)
Tamsin: I am looking forward to enhance my career in automotive sector. How can London Business School help me make a right move?

Sumeet (Jan 22, 2007 1:07:56 PM)
Mary: Can you please discuss brand management opportunities post LBS?

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:08:19 PM)
klein - I'll take your question regarding restructuring and turnarounds as a career option post-grad. Although I don't think it's one of the more popular routes, there are definitely a few people who will be practicing in one capacity or another. There's a great class offered on the subject and I think it's very popular with the executive MBAs.

dianemorganlbs (Jan 22, 2007 1:08:25 PM)
Dear Klein, I'm signing off but just saw your question. Restructuring and turnarounds are usually positions that you need to have substantial experience. Which makes sense given what you are trying to accomplish for the business. You can always build your career strategy with an eye towards these types of roles. And, depending on the experience you come in with, the possibilities will vary. Good luck to you! Diane

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:09:59 PM)
Marianne: I know you'll definitely find the understanding and mutual respect across cultures here at London Business School. There's no dominant culture here...and that really changes how people relate to each other. I truly believe that in the future, the global business market will needs more people who can think cross-culturally and 'translate' business strategies across borders.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:11:03 PM)
Sumeet - we have 8 concentrations, however, students often don't always specialize, as doing an MBA is all about building for the future, and you don't know where the future might eventually take you. But, as you asked! - Finance, Entrepreneurship, Strategy are the top areas, in that order. (Don't be scared off if you're not a finance person!).

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 1:11:18 PM)
David, many US schools are becoming increasingly open to younger applicants. Is the same true of LBS (of course, assuming strengths in other areas: academics, work experience, personality, leadership potential, etc)?

Sumeet (Jan 22, 2007 1:11:58 PM)
Tamsin: What % of students choose to major in marketing (because of LBS's reputation of a strong finance programme)

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 1:13:06 PM)
Payton, Grace, and Rajat: What do you wish you would have done before starting your MBA that would have made the beginning/transition easier? Did you do anything especially effective that helped you?

RajatMaakerLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:13:06 PM)
Marianne, personally my greatest challenge at London Business School has been/is managing my time. There is just so much that I want to be involved with, but at the same time I do like to spend time with my partner every once in a while. Teaches you a bit about making choices, I guess!

Calvin (Jan 22, 2007 1:13:40 PM)
Raja, is that correct number that you roughly spend 1200 GBP/m. it include everything (house, food, transmit..)

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 1:13:59 PM)
Thank you David. I apologize that I was not able to find that information myself. I look forward to hearing from Admissions!

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:14:20 PM)
Sumeet: What really made London Business School stand out for me is its location and truly global perspective. The location is definitely unique, but when I looked at other schools, most had 20-30% international students. London Business School has 90%! This is a huge difference and I knew this was the right learning environment for me.

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:15:40 PM)
MBA LBS - I can take your question regarding the automotive sector, especially since I'm a car guy;) A friend of mine is a current 1st year student who came from Aston Martin and there's another guy in my class who was an aerodynamics engineer at Lotus. He also worked on the Bentley Continental GT pre-production concepts. As for careers in the sector, they fall under the industry arm of career services. The industry club is quite active on campus. Also, our Operations class first year took a field trip to Leipzig, Germany to the BMW and Porsche factories. They manufacture the new 3-series at BMW. The Porsche facility produces the Cayenne and Carerra GT. We had private tours of the facilities, information sessions and Q&A with plant managers. It was a great way to see our theories from class put into practice.

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 1:16:02 PM)
Sumeet, London Business School is unique as we are able to offer a top MBA in a truly international community, based in the heart of London. Having an international and professionally diverse student body means that you will find yourself in a very challenging learning environment. During your first year, you will be put into study groups for your core courses. It is unlikely that you will be with someone from the same nationality as you. Within these groups you will work for around 50% of your first year marks.

applicant07 (Jan 22, 2007 1:16:41 PM)
Payton, when do you need to apply for the exchange program?

GraceMaaLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:17:17 PM)
Business School is all about managing Tradeoffs Tradeoffs Tradeoffs for me. My suggestion to people looking to prepare for B-school is DON'T rush out and buy all the MBA guide books on Accounting, Marketing, Finance...instead, read fiction, biographies on topics that interest you. You will get more skills development than you can handle in Business School, but no one can teach you your passion! Find what you're passionate about and develop that passion. Everything else becomes easier in b-school once you've defined your priorities and values.

applicant07 (Jan 22, 2007 1:17:18 PM)
TAmsin: how strong is the alumni network in New York

Duncan Hart (Jan 22, 2007 1:17:46 PM)
Mary - because of the sensitive nature of the work I do I can not always be clear about my exact achievement, because clarity is what I often have to avoid. In such a situation what advice can you give? Thanks.

PaytonDobbsLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:17:50 PM)
applicant07 - Exchange deadlines are typically around February of your first year.

StefanMargolis (Jan 22, 2007 1:18:26 PM)
Thanks everyone. Tamsin you will get my application during the next weeks. Greetings from Buenos Aires. Bye

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 1:19:06 PM)
DAvid: (not quite sure who to direct this question to) I am considering doing a double Elective Concentration in both international business and entrepreneurial management. Do many students do this? Also, is there any possibility of doing a triple Elective concentration?

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:19:13 PM)
Marianne, we don't use age as a factor, (UK law sees to that!). But we wouldn't use that alone anyway. I guess you're making an indirect reference to years of experience anyway. We are looking for the anticipated level of contribution to your - study group, classroom, on campus in clubs etc. Much of that is dependent directly on the amount of relevant experience you have, but who's to say whether that comes from 2 years or 13 years, (our current class range). That's why our admissions process is very thorough and works at a very individual level - we only have c300 places, and every one of them needs to be filled by someone who can offer a lot to their peer group. It is true, our classes tend to have a little more experience than many US classes, but at the same time, some of the best offers we have made recently have been to people with not too many years on their resume.

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 1:20:39 PM)
David, thank you so much for your honest and clear reply to the question about age and contribution to the programme.

DavidSimpsonLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:21:17 PM)
Marianne, that is possible. But remember that the elective concentrations are just labels, (that you can use to differentiate yourself to recruiters with). I would make sure that you are doing the individual classes you want to take and then see if you have formed a concentration, (or 3), rather than looking to fit segments.

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 1:21:25 PM)
Sumeet, some students are keen to secure a marketing role post MBA whilst others are keen to get involved whilst at the School and broaden their knowledge in this area. The Marketing Club are extremely active and we have many guest speakers coming to campus, for example, the Chief Executive of Burberry.

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 1:21:27 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to David, Tamsin, Mary, Diane , Payton, Grace, and Rajat.

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 1:21:36 PM)
We don’t have any chats scheduled for the next several weeks. But we will be having events and chats both for 2007 applications and 2008 applicants, including an innovative MBA Admissions Telethon on February 15. To receive automatic notification of all future MBA admissions events, including chats, the telethon, and Accepted.com specials, please subscribe to our MBA Events list at http://www.accepted.com/chat/subscribe.aspx#MBA_Admissions .

Linda Abraham (Jan 22, 2007 1:21:46 PM)
Good luck with your applications!

Marianne (Jan 22, 2007 1:23:02 PM)
I absolutely agree. In fact, the reason I asked is because I am deeply interested in pursuing three of the concentrations merely for my own self-improvement, rather than to appeal to recruiters. As an entrepreneur, I am looking for any possibility to increase my knowledge.

tamsinshillitoelbs (Jan 22, 2007 1:23:21 PM)
applicant07, The London Business School Alumni network is extremely active across the globe. We hosted our worldwide alumni celebration event around the world last year to celebrate our internationlism. The alumni club in New York is very strong and have many connections in banking and consulting.

MaryFerreiraLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:23:24 PM)
Hi Duncan. Your MBA application is between you and the business school to which you apply and is treated with confidence. The only other third party that would see your cv and MBA essays would be your MBA interviewer if your MBA application was short listed for interview but if there were questions of security, this would be discussed directly with you. We would require some specific examples from your professional life. However, this is just to reassure you that we have had students join the business school from all sorts of backgrounds - from security services to people rolling out biotech innovations.

MaryFerreiraLBS (Jan 22, 2007 1:25:23 PM)
Thanks to everyone taking part. We are likely to do another online chat in a couple of months. Do remember to look at the information session pages of our website (www.london.edu) for our next face to face events so that we can meet some of you when we are on the road over the coming weeks. Nazli, if you are going to Istanbul you will get to meet David Simpson. It should be a really good information session.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room