MIT Quant Experience Chat with Dr. Peter Regan

MIT Quant Experience Chat with Dr. Peter Regan

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:03:44 PM)
Hello. My name is Peter Regan. I am the founder of the MBA Math quant skills course at www.mbamath.com and the creator of the MBA Quant Experience blog at www.mbaquant.com. I will be moderating today’s chat with Linda Abraham, founder of Accepted.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:04:09 PM)
First I want to welcome all prospective students to the MIT Sloan Quant Experience chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about the Sloan School at MIT. This is the first of what I hope will be a series of school-specific chats about the first year quant experience. In this chat we will take a peek over the horizon of the admissions process, beyond the GMAT, essays, and application rounds at the quantitative dimension of the first year experience for students admitted to MIT Sloan. Being here today allows you to ask the MIT Sloan experts about this outstanding business school.

Linda Abraham (Mar 8, 2007 12:04:26 PM)
Welcome everyone.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:04:38 PM)
I also want to welcome our MIT Sloan guests: Maura Herson, Associate Director of Student Affairs; Jeri Seidman, instructor of the pre-term accounting course for the past two years; and first-year MBA students Susan Hanemann Rogol and John Clingan. Thank you to the four of you for taking the time to chat with us today.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:04:48 PM)
I will post bios provided by three of our guests. John, please introduce yourself.

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:04:53 PM)
We are happy to be here!

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:04:56 PM)
Maura Herson is Associate Director of MBA Student Affairs. She serves as an academic advisor for new and continuing MBA students and works with faculty to create and deliver the Core semester.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:05:03 PM)
Jeri Seidman is a fourth year Ph.D. student in the Accounting Department at Sloan. She has her undergraduate and her masters degrees in accounting from Case Western Reserve University and worked for Deloitte & Touche in tax preparation and tax compliance software for 5 years before returning to graduate school. Jeri has taught the pre-term accounting course for the MBA Classes of 2007 and 2008.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:05:13 PM)
Susan Rogol is a first year student in the Sloan MBA program with a BA in English from Tufts University and an AAS in Culinary Arts from Kendall Culinary. Prior to school, Susan was a founding Senior Associate Food Editor for Everyday Food, a Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia Publication. Before that she co-founded and operated Cheffie’s Market & More, an award winning restaurant in Memphis. Susan chose to attend MIT Sloan because the school’s strong quantitative bent would enhance her entrepreneurial and general management background.

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:05:18 PM)
Prior to MIT Sloan, John was a senior deal analyst with GE Real Estate. In that role he participated in extensive due diligence and structuring of Real Estate equity transactions across India, Asia and Europe, in addition to North America. He arrived at GE as a member of the Financial Management Program after graduating with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Brown University. He hopes to build on the passion for innovation he developed over two summers working at AT&T’s Shannon Lab by concentrating on commercialization and international development while at MIT Sloan. John likes to relax by competing in MIT’s intramural hockey league and cooking.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:05:24 PM)
Susan, perhaps you could expand your introduction by adding a comment about the degree of stretch between your pre-MBA day-to-day responsibilities and your expressed goal to absorb the strong quantitative training you sought from MIT. What was your anxiety level about quant requirements in the period between being admitted and actually walking onto campus?

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:06:00 PM)
I actually had hands on management experience but I was interested in being able to mathematically defend my business choices

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:06:57 PM)
Maura, MIT is world famous as an engineering powerhouse. Would it be wrong to think of MIT Sloan as an MBA program for engineers or for students aiming to manage technical businesses?

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:07:11 PM)
Susan and John, how would you characterize the quant demands of the courses that you are taking right now? How do you balance the demands of quantitative and qualitative courses?

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:07:20 PM)
Jeri, please describe the structure and goals of the pre-term accounting course that you teach. Who takes it? Is it required or optional?

JeriSeidmanMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:07:56 PM)
Peter, the pre-term accounting course is optional. Many students take it for the first few days, whether they have an accounting background or not. I think throughout the first semester as well as into the second semester, there is a good balance from course to course in terms of quant-heavy courses and more qualitative. We cover how to post transactions and how transactions affect the income statement, balance sheet, and statement of cash flows. That being said, even the quant-heavy courses stay grounded in WHY we're doing the quantitative analysis. The material covered in pre-term accounting is not covered again in the core accounting courses, so many students sit in to make sure they're up to speed with case work, etc

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:08:20 PM)
The quant demands are high in my financial statement analysis classes, however Sloan sets each student up with a strong team to help.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:08:49 PM)
Susan, what is the range of quant backgrounds in your team?

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:09:14 PM)
Well Peter, I think that that group of people (engineers, technical managers) would be very happy here, but that is just the tip of the iceberg for MIT. We have a number of areas that we consider to be our research strengths - finance, marketing, operations, Organizational Processes... the list goes on. The students can attest to the variety of backgrounds in their classmates.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:09:44 PM)
Maura, can a person with a non-quantitative background get admitted? Can such a person thrive in the program?

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:10:15 PM)
In my first semester core team, I had an English major, a couple of engineers, and a couple of business/econ majors. While some of the quant material was new to the English major, he thrived throughout the first semester

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:10:28 PM)
Of the five people on my core team, one had a background in airline pricing, one had experience as an economic consultant, one was a math wiz straight out of school, and one was a tech program manager. In addition to weekly TA office hours, there are second year students that offer their time as tutors for courses in which they did well first term.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:10:45 PM)
Susan and John, how does a student with a relative weakness in a given course, who might rely heavily on other study group members, make sure that he or she learns enough to perform well on individual exams?

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:12:17 PM)
Maura, what expectations do you set with students about pre-term preparation and what learning resources do you recommend or provide over the summer or when students first arrive on campus? Do you have any special programs for incoming students with weaker quantitative backgrounds?

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:12:30 PM)
Peter, while students are not required to have a quantitative background, we do ask that they have some basic coursework in calculus and Economics. If they don't we may ask them to take one or two classes at a local college before arriving for their first semester. If there is any need for preparation the admissions staff will communicate them when students are admitted. One of my favorite students was a French major who was an opera singer before coming to MIT Sloan!

JeriSeidmanMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:13:14 PM)
I think a big thing is trying to link whatever new you're studying to something you do know about--thinking about your own balance sheet or income statement in accounting, thinking about how your mortgage or car payment works for finance, etc.

kvv (Mar 8, 2007 12:14:19 PM)
What book would you recommend using to read up on Accounting before arriving at Sloan? Stickney and Weil, 11th Ed? Something else?

JeriSeidmanMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:14:37 PM)
KW, Stickney is what we use for the core.

kvv (Mar 8, 2007 12:14:43 PM)
Thanks

Linda Abraham (Mar 8, 2007 12:14:47 PM)
Susan, did you feel yourself at a disadvantage because you didn't come from a quant background? What did you do to prepare or did you just decide you would deal when you arrived at MIT Sloan?

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:14:59 PM)
I don't think any reading is necessary, but definitely try and attend the pre-term review session for some brush up. I know a few people for whom that was their first exposure to accounting

Bret Valerio (Mar 8, 2007 12:15:06 PM)
I'm still on the waitlist, but as someone with a CFA, what other areas of quant analysis would I need to focus on?

gshewakr (Mar 8, 2007 12:15:35 PM)
Does the heavy focus on quant dilute the focus on some of the "softer" management skills / issues that one would encounter in other MBA programs?

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:15:43 PM)
I went to the pre-term classes and felt they were a good preparatory overview (as well as a great way to meet other 1st years before classes kick-in).

lho (Mar 8, 2007 12:16:30 PM)
Susan, how large are these pre-term classes typically?

Linda Abraham (Mar 8, 2007 12:16:34 PM)
Susan, did you find that preparation adequate for your classes?

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:16:52 PM)
gshew...I don't think the quant dilutes the softer side of things one bit. I found that, for example, our stats course dovetailed nicely with our other courses

Linda Abraham (Mar 8, 2007 12:17:09 PM)
Can you give an example John?

JeriSeidmanMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:17:10 PM)
lho, the first day of pre-term is large for all 3 courses. I found that well over half the incoming class came to all 5 pre-term accounting courses

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:17:29 PM)
Linda, actually the prep classes were great. To be honest, there are plenty of resources on campus to help you through the core.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:17:31 PM)
Maura, can you give us an overview of the pre-term experience and how the quant aspects fit into the whole of pre-term?

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:18:08 PM)
For example, we did a number of case study-based assignments in class that led to great discussion about what the numbers actually mean. We also touched on decision methodology in our org behavior class a bit as well

Nick (Mar 8, 2007 12:18:21 PM)
Given that MIT is a tech university, does that necessarily mean Sloan would be more quant than other top MBA programs?

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:18:44 PM)
Yes- were have a mix of actual instruction & case, therefore you do get many of the fundamentals along with practical application.

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:18:51 PM)
Preterm is really geared to refreshing the quant side of everyone's brain! We offer daily sessions in Accounting, Economics and Quantitative concepts. In the afternoon we do other non-quant sessions - computer setup, alumni relations, etc.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:19:21 PM)
How long does pre-term last?

JeriSeidmanMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:19:35 PM)
Peter, pre-term is one week...

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:19:43 PM)
Pre-term is the whole week before orientation. Pre-term is a great way to get in the groove and start to meet the other students. The core gets very intense very quickly, and since you are divided into class groups, "oceans" of about 60 people, it is fun to meet people across campus before you divide up into your classes.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:20:12 PM)
Are all students there and they customize their experience or do some students skip it all together?

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:20:41 PM)
Jeri, although accounting obviously involves numbers, the math is simple. The challenge is more logical than quantitative. Do you find that students' ability to learn accounting lines up well with quantitative ability or do you see other factors determining proficiency.

kvv (Mar 8, 2007 12:20:42 PM)
Is pre-term taught by the same professors who teach the courses during core? (I am an engineer, so will definitely prepare for accounting and finance, already reading up on economics, but wondering if there is more specific guidance on particular topics that need to be covered so I best focus my efforts - or do I just rely on the diagnostic tests to figure that out?)

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:20:53 PM)
Most students do attend pre-term refresher courses. Some take a more tactical approach in their weaker subjects. Others take the full load. I personally took a more tactical approach, given that I had prior experience in accounting. I did attend most math review classes and all the econ sessions

Linda Abraham (Mar 8, 2007 12:21:16 PM)
John, you had a lot of quant experience in your work, did you attend pre-term, find it worthwhile?

Nick (Mar 8, 2007 12:22:29 PM)
Hi Susan and John, what are the major differentiators of the Sloan curriculum from other top MBA programs, from your perspectives?

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:22:46 PM)
Preterm isn't mandatory but most people come for a variety of reasons - classes, community building, getting used to Boston and Sloan - most for a mix of all

lho (Mar 8, 2007 12:23:05 PM)
hey Susan, I have a more 'artsy' kind of background, and will probably do something more entrepreneurial when I finish my MBA. Which specific quant classes did you find the most useful for your line of work?

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:23:25 PM)
Nick, this deviates from our quant focus a bit, but I think the most poignant difference is that we have only one semester of required courses. Which means that we get the same fundamentals over the two years, but can tailor our courses to our interests earlier

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:23:42 PM)
Nick the teaching style is really a nice mix of fundamentals (actually modeling etc for homework as part of a team) in addition to case studies which demonstrate how other managers/ companies attacked problems. Entrepreneurial program is very strong at Sloan.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:24:03 PM)
John and Susan, can you give us an overview of the balance between individual and group work in your quant courses? Can you give us some specific examples of how study groups help balance different individual student skill sets in your quant courses?

Bret Valerio (Mar 8, 2007 12:25:05 PM)
How quant can you get at MIT? Are MBA's allowed to take courses or work with the MIT center for financial engineering?

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:25:08 PM)
Peter, in the first semester, most work is handed in on an individual basis, yet the majority of the work is done in groups which greatly helps the team to leverage everyone's skills

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:25:36 PM)
Bret - You can get very quant at MIT - as part of your MBA you can take classes all across the institute.

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:25:40 PM)
The atmosphere really embraces innovation, and right now my favorite classes are operations management & financial statement analysis. Sounds crazy that a former chef & publisher would willingly embrace these heavy quant courses. But I came to Sloan to prove to myself that I had the wherewithal to make these hard business decisions.

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:26:09 PM)
Thanks

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:26:24 PM)
How does that work in practice? How far does the group work go and when does it break off into solo work? Can you give us an example from your recent class work?

lho (Mar 8, 2007 12:26:28 PM)
very admirable!

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:26:30 PM)
Did I mention that Susan makes a mean brownie?!

Linda Abraham (Mar 8, 2007 12:26:52 PM)
Sounds tastier than sharp spreadsheets.

Nick (Mar 8, 2007 12:27:19 PM)
Maura, is there any limit on the number of courses that B-school students can take from other departments of MIT?

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:27:23 PM)
During the first semester, with assigned teams, some teams did 90% of their work sitting together, while other groups only did 20% or so together. Individual teams found the balance that worked for them. Personally, my team got together to at least review every handed in assignment as a group, which was a great learning experience for everyone, though it sometimes took a bit longer

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:28:23 PM)
Nick- we only count 2 extra courses from MIT towards your degree, but you are welcome to take more for personal interest.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:29:07 PM)
Susan, how does your group manage the balance between group and individual work?

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:29:12 PM)
Nick- depending on what you are interested in, there are many courses at Sloan that mix students across different disciplines. There is a product development class that mixes Risdi Design students, MIT Media Lab students, & MIT engineers in collaborative teams.

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:29:59 PM)
Susan makes a good point. I have alums who came from less quantitative backgrounds tell me that they see a whole new level of credibility when people find out they went to MIT Sloan.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:30:10 PM)
Jeri, do you think of accounting as a typical quant course, or does the primarily logical challenge select for different skill sets?

JeriSeidmanMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:30:30 PM)
Peter, I think accounting is much more logic than quant. Addition and subtraction are the primary quant needed! But, the logic can be daunting for some students if they don't try to connect it to things they know...

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:30:43 PM)
I'd echo Jeri's point

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:31:07 PM)
Jeri, do you find that logic and quant aptitude move together, or do some people with strong quant backgrounds still struggle with accounting?

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:31:29 PM)
We had a number of case-based classes in accounting that helped reinforce the basic principles we learned in the lecture-based classes

Nick (Mar 8, 2007 12:31:30 PM)
In terms of job interviews, what types of jobs interviews value quant skills?

JeriSeidmanMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:31:30 PM)
Peter, I think you can be very good at logic and not good at quant. They are totally different skill sets. My recommendation is to try to think of yourself as a firm and connect everything for accounting to things that you are familiar with

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:32:13 PM)
All consulting jobs value quant skills... production management... business development... Financial modeling... VCs... P/E firms

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:32:32 PM)
Susan and John, what is your student perspective on Jeri's comments about logic vs. quant when it comes to accounting?

kvv (Mar 8, 2007 12:32:40 PM)
For those of us planning careers in Investment Banking, any more specialized quant preparation needed?

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:33:36 PM)
kw-first of all, the finance club does a great deal to help prepare students for the i-banking interviews. Also, the finance class (which I'm taking now, a semester late) provides some real applicable training. More on the taking finance late comment...I knew I wasn't going to go directly back into finance for the summer, so I took the marketing class for a different look

Nick (Mar 8, 2007 12:33:47 PM)
Can you guys talk a little about the e-lab at Sloan?

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:34:54 PM)
These students aren't in it right now, but it is a class where small groups of students work with a startup (less than 50 people) on a CEO level problem. We offer elab and Global elab. In global elab the students spend 3 weeks onsite with a company based outside the US - India, Vietnam, New Zealand were some of this years destinations

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:35:46 PM)
Nick- there are many opportunities at Sloan to work on collaborative products. These tend to be run through the Entrepreneurial Group: New Enterprises, E-lab, G-lab...

Bret Valerio (Mar 8, 2007 12:36:11 PM)
What are the most challenging quant software packages that you work with (matlab, splus, etc)? is there a lot of training and support available through the school to learn them?

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:37:05 PM)
Bret...so far crystal ball is the most heavy duty package we work with. I had no prior experience with it, but was given ample training

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:37:29 PM)
Maura, what support resources (office hours, TA sessions, tutors) are available outside of class to help students with the quantitative demands of the first year curriculum? How do students find the time to use these resources?

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:38:35 PM)
Peter - we provide a lot of resources and let students choose the ones that work for them. Within each class faculty and TA's are available, then we have tutoring one on one and small group. Then there is also the more informal route of using your classmates and teammates to help out.

Bret Valerio (Mar 8, 2007 12:38:57 PM)
I've never heard of it, so that's good to hear. Does programming ability (i.e. VBA) help you out in any of your courses or is the majority of the quant workload strictly modeling?

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:39:20 PM)
Susan and John, what are your student perspectives on support resources outside of class, especially the time management challenge of fitting it in?

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:39:46 PM)
Business school is a fast course in learning to prioritize. There are many resources available... but it is up to you to balance it all and reach out for help when you need it. As I mentioned, Sloan is a very collaborative team based environment where help is easy to get.

Nick (Mar 8, 2007 12:40:12 PM)
Do you switch OCEAN sections in the course of the two years?

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:40:23 PM)
Agreed...there is so much vying for your attention that you need to focus on what's important to you

kvv (Mar 8, 2007 12:41:25 PM)
I assume for those so inclined, there are also Quantitative Finance courses available? Any of you take those? Any recommended preparation?

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:41:32 PM)
No, Oceans are just for the first semester. After that you are in class according to interest. Ocean reunions are popular and many people make great relationships with their ocean mates that last well beyond the two years

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:41:45 PM)
That said, the oceans are a great social rallying point after everyone goes in their own direction of study following the first semester

JeriSeidmanMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:41:58 PM)
kw, I TA'd for a corporate finance course last year that I thought was pretty quantitative but I'm sure there are even more advanced finance courses available

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:42:42 PM)
Is there anything special in pre-term or over the summer done to help incoming students with spreadsheet skills? Susan and John, is there a steep learning curve for those who have not used spreadsheets much before starting their MBA?

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:43:01 PM)
lho- do you have any other concerns about the quantitative nature of Sloan?

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:43:18 PM)
Peter, yes we run an excel workshop JIT in September to cover the skills students need for the core classes

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:43:35 PM)
Peter, I used excel extensively before school, so I gave my teammates mini tutorials in excel whenever the situation called for it. The excel skills required were generally not too heavy that people felt overwhelmed

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:43:59 PM)
Maura, what fraction of the students attended the September Excel course?

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:44:42 PM)
Hmmm I'd say 2/3 or more attended the excel course. We split it into basic and advanced so people can attend at their skill level

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:44:45 PM)
Susan, had you used Excel much pre-MIT?

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:44:54 PM)
For our DMD class there were many different opportunities to attend excel workshops. I think they were offered 3 or 4 times.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:45:40 PM)
Maura, you oversee MBA students from their arrival through graduation. What words of wisdom can you offer to prospective students to help them to make informed decisions about appropriate preparation and to keep the quantitative demands of the first year in the proper perspective?

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:46:00 PM)
Yes, I had a lot of experience with excel running my own business. However, I did learn a few tricks from some of the Excel Wizards on campus.

lho (Mar 8, 2007 12:46:07 PM)
Hey Susan, not overly concerned. I did take some econ/accounting classes at my undergrad, but I wouldn't classify myself as a 'quant' person

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:46:34 PM)
I had Accounting after college and I took Econ before Sloan. There are many of us here who don't intuitively jump to numbers... Sloan is teaching me to prove/ back up every decision with the numbers. And I gotta say, I like it. Accounting definitely helped, but Sloan doesn't teach T accounts... they teach managerial accounting. Therefore, I think your initial course in undergrad will be fine in conjunction with the pre-term.

Nick (Mar 8, 2007 12:46:55 PM)
Can you guys talk about the Sloan Innovation Period? Is that a mini-workshop on selected topics?

lho (Mar 8, 2007 12:47:00 PM)
Did they help you prepare for Sloan?

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:47:33 PM)
Peter, I would tell students not to feel like they have to be quant jocks to thrive here. This is an amazing community that needs and values all kinds of skills.

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:47:37 PM)
Nick, re:SIP, it's a chance to take a breather from classes and take interesting seminars.

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:48:17 PM)
The topics run the gamut, and tend to align with many of the profs' research interests. Examples: Non-profit leadership, Climate change, Bosnian peacekeeping simulation, Negotiations. In short, don't get lost in the quant...it's just another decision-making tool

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:50:01 PM)
Susan and John, is there anything you know now about the quant demands of the first year that you wish you had known before starting your first year?

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:50:56 PM)
lho- econ helped. But once again the managerial twist focuses more on industry.

lho (Mar 8, 2007 12:51:59 PM)
Which probably makes it more relevant and interesting!

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:51:59 PM)
Half-way through the semester, I started to see the matrix of how the quant ties back into the management issues a business faces

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:52:36 PM)
No matter how much you get stuck in the learning process, you will walk out knowing more than you did when you went in.

kvv (Mar 8, 2007 12:52:43 PM)
what book do you use for Econ? or recommend I read before coming in?

Nick (Mar 8, 2007 12:52:52 PM)
How is class participation weighted at Sloan?

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:53:20 PM)
Prospective students, what feedback can you provide to the moderators and guests about this first quant-oriented chat? You're welcome to provide feedback after the chat at peter.regan@mbamath.com.

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:54:06 PM)
Nick, it varies from class to class. In the quant-focused classes, it is between 10-20%. Others, up to 40%

SusanHanemannRogolMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:54:23 PM)
kw- the text book is Pindyck & Rubinfield. There are online courses available if you want to get a jump start.

kvv (Mar 8, 2007 12:54:32 PM)
excellent! thank you.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:55:34 PM)
Jeri, what words of wisdom would you offer to prospective students wondering how much accounting prep to do before stepping onto campus and how much can be picked up during pre-term and on the fly during the first year?

JeriSeidmanMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:55:58 PM)
Peter, I think attending pre-term, taking that seriously and asking questions if you are totally lost during pre-term will be enough. The first few weeks of accounting are the most important because it teaches you the framework and then the rest of the semester is exceptions and details so I don' t think much pre-prep is needed

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:56:42 PM)
Maura, is there any common profile of students who struggle with the quant workload that our prospective students can learn from and avoid?

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:56:55 PM)
Jeri, I'm sure that is reassuring for our applicants!

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:57:43 PM)
John and Susan, any final words of advice beyond what we have covered?

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:57:47 PM)
Peter, The students and I agree that as long as students put in the time and are open to asking for help that they will get through the core.

Nick (Mar 8, 2007 12:57:52 PM)
Any recommendation on Excel instruction book as prep before b-school?

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:58:30 PM)
Maura, that's terrific and also must be reassuring!

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:58:52 PM)
Sorry, we don't have a recommendation off the top of our heads.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:59:34 PM)
Thank you again to all for participating today. Special thanks to Maura, Jeri, Susan, and John. I would also like to thank Linda for helping me bring to fruition this quant experience chat.

JohnClinganMIT (Mar 8, 2007 12:59:41 PM)
In conclusion, as long as students give the courses the time they require, they will receive ample assistance to succeed

Linda Abraham (Mar 8, 2007 12:59:42 PM)
You're welcome.

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 12:59:56 PM)
Future quant experience chats will be announced jointly on the MBA Quant Experience blog at www.mbaquant.com and on the Accepted.com chat schedule at http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.aspx#mba .

Linda Abraham (Mar 8, 2007 1:00:15 PM)
Here are some scheduled chats coming up:

MauraHersonMIT (Mar 8, 2007 1:00:15 PM)
Thanks everyone, that was fun. Good luck with the application process and keep in touch!

Linda Abraham (Mar 8, 2007 1:00:16 PM)
Michigan Ross Waitlist Chat March 20, 2007 10:00 AM PT/1:00 PM ET

Linda Abraham (Mar 8, 2007 1:00:22 PM)
UCLA Waitlist Chat March 28, 2007 4:00 PM PT/7:00 PM ET

Linda Abraham (Mar 8, 2007 1:00:28 PM)
MIT Sloan Waitlist Chat April 12 10:00 AM PT/1:00 PM ET

Peter Regan (Mar 8, 2007 1:00:49 PM)
Good luck with your applications!!

Linda Abraham (Mar 8, 2007 1:00:57 PM)
Thanks for joining us. Good luck with your applications! Linda Abraham (Feb 28, 2007 3:07:56 PM)
Glad to do it--good luck everyone!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room