Michigan Ross Waitlist Admissions Chat with Soojin Kwon Koh and Jim Hayes

Michigan Ross Waitlist Admissions Chat with Soojin Kwon Koh and Jim Hayes

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Mar 27, 2007 3:59:35 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com’s Michigan Ross waitlist chat.
I am Linda Abraham, the president and founder of Accepted.com. I will moderate the chat.
I also want to welcome Soojin Kwan Koh, Director of Admissions and Jim Hayes, Senior Associate Director of Admissions.
Thanks to everyone for joining.

Rosshopeful (Mar 27, 2007 4:00:54 PM)
Jim, how do we determine weaknesses in our application

Pam (Mar 27, 2007 4:01:00 PM)
Thank you for giving us this opportunity Jim, Linda, and Soojin

vikrant (Mar 27, 2007 4:01:15 PM)
Soojin: When do you plan to start looking upon the waitlisted candidates?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:01:35 PM)
We will begin reviewing our waitlist in mid-May and continue through the summer.

Nilesh (Mar 27, 2007 4:01:49 PM)
Soojin: Thanks for the interview ... Can u share something about how to get off the waitlist?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:02:01 PM)
Yes. I think she will. All waitlisted applicants are provided with general guidelines about what we look for. You will have to do an objective assessment of your application against those guidelines since we do not have the resources to provide individual feedback.

Todd (Mar 27, 2007 4:02:27 PM)
JIm: How do I remove myself from the waitlist?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:03:14 PM)
Todd - Again, you will need to do an independent assessment against the guidelines we provide to wait listed applicants to see if there are areas where you may come up a little short.

AP (Mar 27, 2007 4:03:23 PM)
Jim, would an additional recommendation on my behalf by a Ross alum be helpful to the Admissions Committee?

bluFish_R3 (Mar 27, 2007 4:04:05 PM)
Hi Soojin, how do the application numbers look this year ?

Calvin (Mar 27, 2007 4:04:17 PM)
Thanks for this opportunity!!

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:04:52 PM)
AP - An additional recommendation from an alum may be helpful, especially if the recommendations you originally sent left some questions. Further, alumni/ae have been through the program and know what it takes to be successful.

AP (Mar 27, 2007 4:04:55 PM)
Jim, I have been waitlisted and have not interviewed at Ross. I believe that an interview would be beneficial for me to express my interest in and learn about the program. May I request an alumni interview?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:05:41 PM)
AP, at this point you cannot request an interview. When working the waitlist, we will reach out to you to get the interview scheduled at the appropriate time.

michimoby (Mar 27, 2007 4:05:59 PM)
Hi Jim! Will communication with current Ross students and/or professors typically be disclosed to the AdCom? Will that kind of communication helps?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:06:53 PM)
michimoby, please let us know about any communication with Ross students, alumni and faculty. If we have questions about your interest in Ross, this kind of communication will serve to allay any concerns in that regard.

superwaiter (Mar 27, 2007 4:07:05 PM)
Jim: How will the motor economy recession in Detroit affect Ross? Since Univ. of Michigan is a public University

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:07:17 PM)
There are a number of reasons for which an applicant may have been waitlisted. The straightforward issues are the quantitative areas. You can make a pretty good guess whether that's the issue by looking at our average scores and GPAs for last year's admits which were 701 and 3.4-ish respectively. If you are not within that range, the quantitative issues could've been the roadblock to a straight admit. And, if that's the case, you welcome applicants to retake the GMAT and submit a higher score. If your undergrad grades are below average, and especially if your quantitative courses were not strong (or non-existent), you could take a quant class to boost your skills in that area.

Jaime (Mar 27, 2007 4:07:28 PM)
Soojin: Is there anything special that waitlisted candidates have to do to secure housing?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:08:10 PM)
superwaiter, we are hearing talk about the "Michigan Chill" factor, but while the automotive situation is impacting the State of Michigan, please remember that we place a ton of graduates in other parts of the U.S. and the world.

KumarY (Mar 27, 2007 4:08:22 PM)
Jim: Can we get a picture of admission statistics at this point? How many are on the wait list?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:08:39 PM)
I wouldn't secure housing if you aren't yet admitted...there's nothing "special" that waitlisted candidates do if they get admitted late in the game. They do what the other admitted students do - come to Ann Arbor when they're admitted and start looking.

Peeyush (Mar 27, 2007 4:08:52 PM)
Soojin: Is there anything that applicants can do to supplement their application material in the meantime while waiting for a final decision

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:09:43 PM)
KumarY, the number of wait listed applicants is about the same this year as it was last year at the same time. Applications are way up, so we have had to be more selective in deciding wait listing versus admit or deny. The number of denies is way up!

rahuls (Mar 27, 2007 4:10:16 PM)
Jim: Would Ross accept requests for a R2 waitlist decision if Ross is my first choice but need to put in a security deposit at my second choice school in first two weeks of May?

Nilesh (Mar 27, 2007 4:10:33 PM)
Thanks Jim.

Lin Xue (Mar 27, 2007 4:10:55 PM)
Thank you Soojin, for this opportunity. Can you explain to us roughly your waitlist process? When and how often will you review the waitlist?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:11:35 PM)
No, please do not submit supplemental materials. If we need further information, we will ask for it. That said, if you retake the GMAT and score higher, or if something substantial changes in your work situation, we will take that into consideration.

Peeyush (Mar 27, 2007 4:11:57 PM)
Soojin: Are there any stats that tell what percentage of students got off waitlist last year

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:12:31 PM)
rahuls, we won't get going in earnest with the wait list until after we get all the decisions back from those who have been admitted. That will be about the middle of May.

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:12:51 PM)
We will review the waitlist throughout the summer. As space becomes available, we will review the makeup of the class against the admissible candidates on our waitlist and admit as we go.

Matt G (Mar 27, 2007 4:13:01 PM)
Jim: If one has made contact with a professor at Ross and they have been positive about your "fit" at Ross, would an "internal" letter of recommendation help at this point?

michimoby (Mar 27, 2007 4:13:20 PM)
Soojin: I'm trying my best to understand the "be persistent, but not a pest" idea...obviously, big accomplishments at work would be helpful, but what about books or extracurriculars relevant to your intended field of study, etc.?

gt (Mar 27, 2007 4:13:24 PM)
Jim, where can we find these guidelines?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:14:13 PM)
Matt G, you should document any contact you have with a member of the Ross community (faculty, staff, alum). If you are waitlisted because your interest in Ross was not as apparent, this may help.

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:14:48 PM)
A percentage of students getting off the waitlist in previous years is not a good indicator of the percentage that will be admitted off the waitlist this year. It really depends on the yield among the students who are already admitted. If we have a high yield, chances of getting off the waitlist are low. If our yield is lower than in past years, chances of getting off the waitlist would be high. Right now, it's too early to tell what our yield will be.

Matthew Jung (Mar 27, 2007 4:15:01 PM)
Soojin: Will there be any indication of how many applicants are on the waitlist and if there is going to be any form of ranking further down the line?

Todd (Mar 27, 2007 4:15:12 PM)
I guess I was a little unclear, but I have already accepted a spot at Columbia and I do not want to take a spot at Michigan from someone else. Please tell me how I can remove myself from the waitlist.

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:16:21 PM)
As I noted above, we really are looking for only significant changes in the information that you submitted in your original application. A new extracurricular or books you've read would not be considered significant. A new GMAT score or a promotion or a change in jobs would be.

Villegas (Mar 27, 2007 4:16:36 PM)
Thank for this chat, Soojin. How many candidates are in the waitlist?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:17:14 PM)
gt, go to www.bus.umich.edu/admissions/waitlist.htm for frequently asked questions about the wait list.

TellMeMore (Mar 27, 2007 4:18:07 PM)
You said guidelines are provided to each waitlisted applicant? Where would I access such guidelines? I believe all I received was notification, FAQs about the waitlist, and news of this scheduled chat. Thanks.

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:19:05 PM)
TellMeMore, the frequently asked questions for wait listed applicants are what I was referring to.

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:19:17 PM)
We do not rank our waitlisted applicants. And the number of candidates on our waitlist doesn't really affect your individual chances of getting in. Our goal is to craft a strong and diverse class with representation from a variety of countries, professions, demographic backgrounds, experiences, etc. So what matters (and what neither you nor I can know at this point) is who decides to come to Ross and who decides to go elsewhere.

michimoby (Mar 27, 2007 4:19:18 PM)
JIm: I know a lot of questions swirl around retaking the GMAT. Would it be safe to say that if your score is within the 80% range of the admitted pool that retaking it won't be necessary?

yanfang (Mar 27, 2007 4:19:55 PM)
Hello! thank you for providing this opportunity to chat with you.

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:20:10 PM)
Waitlisted candidates are considered separately from R3 applicants.

MBA2009 (Mar 27, 2007 4:20:19 PM)
Soojin: If an applicant makes it off the waitlist, would any scholarship be available for the applicant?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:20:20 PM)
michimoby, generally that is a safe assumption. But if you are at the lower end of the 80% range, that can be problematic in what has turned out to be a very competitive year.

brian (Mar 27, 2007 4:20:25 PM)
Jim:Are there any differences between those who interviewed and those who didn't?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:20:40 PM)
No, scholarships would not be available for applicants who are admitted off of the waitlist.

yanfang (Mar 27, 2007 4:20:54 PM)
Soojin: Is there an advantage to being on the Round 1 waitlist as opposed to the Round 2 waitlist?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:21:26 PM)
No, we do not distinguish our waitlisted candidates by Round. We have one pool of waitlisted candidates.

MichaelY (Mar 27, 2007 4:21:33 PM)
Soojin: Is it possible to rewrite essays? Will it strengthen the application?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:22:05 PM)
No, please do not rewrite essays. We will not consider them in our review of waitlisted candidates.

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:22:11 PM)
Brian, it is difficult to answer that one in the absolute. It is conceivable that the interview results may be the reason someone is wait listed. More likely, though, it is simply that we do not have the resources to interview everyone so we wait until we have a better sense of what our yield on current offers will be.

Nilesh (Mar 27, 2007 4:22:15 PM)
Thanks Soojin ... Do you recommend any particular quant classes. Would they still be helpful at this time? Do we still have time? Thanks it was very informative.

Yoonkyung (Mar 27, 2007 4:22:26 PM)
Jim, would the waitlist candidate, once admitted have enough time to roll up for the M-Trek?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:23:59 PM)
Yoonkyung, MTreks start about the early to middle part of August. We plan to have the wait list substantially done by the middle of July. That would allow time for most admitted from the wait list to participate in an MTrek.

MBA2009 (Mar 27, 2007 4:24:07 PM)
Jim: Can you share last year's stats? How many students were waitlisted and how many made it off the waitlist?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:24:39 PM)
Nilesh, if you think that your quantitative skills were your weakness, the first course of action should be to retake the GMAT. If your undergrad GPA was lower and your quant classes in particular, it could help to take courses like calculus, statistics, college-level algebra and get a strong grade. You'll be expected to know this level of math for our core courses.

michimoby (Mar 27, 2007 4:24:51 PM)
Soojin: I'm looking at a pretty significant career change. Is "potential for success" in my new career a reason for being waitlisted? This helps me understand how I should orient any additional information I send.

AP (Mar 27, 2007 4:25:52 PM)
Thank you Jim

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:25:56 PM)
MBA 2009 and everyone - Let me step in again and remind everyone that last year's waitlist stats are not a good indicator of what will happen this year. We don't keep it top of mind for that very reason. We work our waitlist independently of any previous statistics.

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:26:03 PM)
MBA2009, I don't want to share exact stats from last year. Suffice it to say that the numbers wait listed are about the same year to year, and that your opportunity to be admitted will depend largely on the yield from outstanding admissions offers. That will be the major determinant of how many students get admitted from the wait list.

arunprasad (Mar 27, 2007 4:26:33 PM)
Thanks Jim and Soojin. I had a mail from Ross a few days ago that the M-Trek registration is opened and is available on first come first serve basis. Considering that waitlists results come relatively late, do waitlisted students get a place on M-Trek ?

Rosswaitlist (Mar 27, 2007 4:26:45 PM)
Soojin: If you have a lower quant score on the GMAT, and a weak quant background, will taking a course in statistics help allay quant concerns (especially if you receive an A), or would you also strongly recommend re-taking the GMAT?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:27:00 PM)
Michimoby - please let us know if you change jobs, and if you do, why.

rao (Mar 27, 2007 4:27:10 PM)
Soojin: Roughly, what percent of waitlist candidates have been interviewed. Are the ones who haven't been interviewed at a disadvantage?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:27:19 PM)
Rosswaitlist, please see my response above to the same question

andreas (Mar 27, 2007 4:27:48 PM)
Soojin: So if changes in our work occur we should notify you !

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:28:38 PM)
Very few of our waitlisted applicants have been interviewed. There is no "advantage" to candidates who have already been interviewed.

AR (Mar 27, 2007 4:28:41 PM)
Soojin: I am an international applicant, though currently in US. Will I still be able to secure my visa if offered an admit later on? Do you review the waitlist international applicants before the others?

vikrant (Mar 27, 2007 4:29:21 PM)
Jim: Even though I have been to the campus for an interview, will it help to visit the campus again? Will it have any impact on my candidature?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:30:07 PM)
vikrant, if you have already visited the campus there would not be much advantage (in terms of improving your chances of admission) in visiting again.

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:30:09 PM)
If substantial changes in your situation occur, please let us know by sending an email to rossmba@umich.edu. Please reference your name in the subject line so that your information is added to the correct file. The subject line should read: WAITLIST: [your name]

AP (Mar 27, 2007 4:30:17 PM)
Jim, If we have not toured the campus, would a visit bolster our chances of being selected from the waitlist or would you recommend waiting until we hear back about an interview?

JS (Mar 27, 2007 4:31:16 PM)
Soojin: If I requested that an additional recommender write a recommendation, is it best to have him directly email the recommendation to the admissions adviser or to email it myself? Thank you.

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:31:25 PM)
AP, if you have not visited the campus and there is a concern about your interest level in Ross, then a visit may demonstrate interest. On the other hand, a visit can be expensive and time consuming so we do not expect that all applicants will be able to visit.

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:31:49 PM)
We make every effort to review international waitlisted applicants in a timely manner. We understand that there are visa timing issues, but the waitlist process will depend on the outcome of admitted students and who decides to come.

wps (Mar 27, 2007 4:31:56 PM)
Soojin, while you are so correct that the % from previous year is not a good indicator it would help me make a decision on how long I want to be on the waitlist if I know the previous years number.

MichaelY (Mar 27, 2007 4:32:15 PM)
Thanks for this opportunity Jim. Is there a limit in the number of final admissions for people from the same background? For example, the number of admissions for people with non-profit background will not exceed a certain limit…

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:33:08 PM)
JS, we do not recommend submitting an additional recommendation letter. Again, please notify us of significant changes in your application only. If we need more information, we will request it.

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:33:23 PM)
MichaelY, there is no limit but we do try to strive to bring in a diverse class each year. So we do try to get a variety of professional backgrounds.

dawn (Mar 27, 2007 4:34:26 PM)
Thanx for this opportunity

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:34:39 PM)
WPS - I would recommend that you make a decision about staying on the waitlist independently of our stats from last year. Who gets in and how many will get in truly depends on who decides not to come from among our admitted students. We are not working towards a magic percentage.

Rosswl (Mar 27, 2007 4:34:47 PM)
Soojin: I scored a 720 in GMAT. I am Indian and from a technology background - I understand this is a competitive pool. Will my GMAT scores be compared to the average or to other Indians with tech backgrounds? Would it help if I retook the GMAT - or would you view a 750 in the same light as a 720?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:36:19 PM)
Niquanda - you may want to consider doing both. Take a look at your GMAT score and see whether it falls near our average. This year, the average GMAT of students who have been admitted is 709. If it doesn't, I'd suggest retaking it.

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:36:32 PM)
Nilesh, you'll have to use some judgment but basically, we would prefer that you only update us on substantive contact. It's a delicate balance I know, but you want to be sure that we know that you are interested without daily updates.

Zach Robin (Mar 27, 2007 4:37:00 PM)
I'd like to thank you for your time. This has been very helpful. Hope to see you on campus. :)

Yoonkyung (Mar 27, 2007 4:37:10 PM)
Thanks Jim

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:37:49 PM)
Rosswl - yes, we had an extremely competitive applicant pool this year. Your GMAT score and experience would be compared to others from India.

JS (Mar 27, 2007 4:38:01 PM)
Jim: If I complete a calculus course by mid-May, would it be helpful to submit the transcript?

Jaime (Mar 27, 2007 4:38:22 PM)
Soojin: Besides not being able to qualify for scholarships, are there any other notable disadvantages to coming off the waitlist?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:39:04 PM)
Jaime, I guess from a personal perspective, you have a little less time to plan for your move, but other than that, no other notable disadvantages.

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:39:10 PM)
JS, it depends on what the issues are. If your quant ability is in question, then completing a calculus course would be helpful. Retaking the GMAT to raise your score and erase any doubts would also be helpful.

MichaelY (Mar 27, 2007 4:39:14 PM)
Jim: Is there a limit in the number of final admissions for people from the same background? For example, the number of admissions for people with non-profit background will not exceed a certain limit…

Lin Xue (Mar 27, 2007 4:39:41 PM)
Hi Soojin, can we say that waitlisted candidates are all qualified but those admitted are even better? So you will be making further admission decisions based on the diversity or makeup of each section?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:39:45 PM)
MichaelY, see above for my answer to this one.

MichaelY (Mar 27, 2007 4:40:00 PM)
Jim: Can you share if next year's class is going to be approximately the same size as this year's?

Lin Xue (Mar 27, 2007 4:40:02 PM)
Thank you Soojin for your reply!

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:40:39 PM)
MichaelY, this year's incoming MBA class will be approximately the same size as last year's.

mba2007 (Mar 27, 2007 4:40:46 PM)
Jim: Can you please also share how many offers have been made so far and how many candidates have accepted the offers (with deposit)..?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:41:33 PM)
mba2007, I will tell you that the number of admits is about the same as last year. It is way too early to talk about how many have accepted for that to be meaningful.

Argo (Mar 27, 2007 4:41:35 PM)
Soojin: What about professional exams to make up for a lower undergrad GPA. Like the CFA or Actuarial exams. Does the AdCom consider these?

jgaither (Mar 27, 2007 4:41:48 PM)
Jim: If Todd’s not going can I have his spot? Just kidding...from what I've gathered so far - don't send any supplemental materials unless it is significant (promotion, GMAT increase etc), admissions staff probably won’t begin looking at waitlist people until mid-May, most slots will be solidified by mid July and the final cut off is August 18th. Is this correct? Is there ever a time where the admissions staff will deny waitlisted applicants after reviewing our application again or do we pretty much stay in the “waitlist pool” until August unless we’re admitted.

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:42:08 PM)
Yes, it would be correct to say that all of the candidates who were waitlisted are qualified. But given an extremely competitive pool, there may have been one or more things in your application that held a waitlisted student back from being admitted. The reality is that we have 430 slots for the incoming MBA class, and over 3,000 applications.

Matthew Jung (Mar 27, 2007 4:42:46 PM)
Soojin: Does the university in which I choose to take supplemental courses have any effect on the "value" of the course. Likewise, if the course does not end until the later half of June, would you encourage notification of the course prior to receiving the grades.

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:43:18 PM)
jgaither, you are right on all counts. We will reach out to those still on the wait list as it gets later in the process to see if you still want to remain on the wait list, and for how long.

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:43:21 PM)
If you're working in a quantitative profession, that is taken into consideration and can "offset" a lower undergrad grade in a quant class. But, if your GMAT is below average, it wouldn't hurt to retake it and score higher.

AR (Mar 27, 2007 4:43:29 PM)
Soojin: If you have a strong quant score on your GMAT but a low verbal score, is it still advisable to re-take the GMAT? Do you have a cut off for each section in the GMAT?

Nilesh (Mar 27, 2007 4:43:41 PM)
Jim: I have changed my job, Should I resubmit an updated resume? I also have a different work role now?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:44:13 PM)
Nilesh, I would say that it would be appropriate to let us know of any job changes/promotions.

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:44:38 PM)
We don't have a cutoff for each section of the GMAT. if your quant was strong but the overall score was still on the lower side, it would only help to retake it and score higher overall.

Rosshopeful (Mar 27, 2007 4:44:44 PM)
Soojin: You indicated that there was a 50% increase in applicants in R1, what was in increase in R2?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:45:29 PM)
Catherine, it may or may not impact our decision, but please let us know if the "other" school has admitted you.

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:45:31 PM)
Our overall application increase stands at just above 30%.

KumarY (Mar 27, 2007 4:45:42 PM)
JIm: If I believe that my interview was the weak part of my application, what I can do the alleviate the concern?

Sanjeev1 (Mar 27, 2007 4:45:53 PM)
Soojin: I applied to TMI by checking the box on the form. Does my being waitlisted hinder any chances of getting into TMI if I get an admit from Ross?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:46:19 PM)
Sanjeevl: No, being waitlisted doesn't affect your chances of getting into TMI.

gt (Mar 27, 2007 4:46:25 PM)
thank you Soojin. When referring to GMAT and quantitative skills, do you refer to the overall score or only to the quant part score? Will 48 in quant part with overall score in the lower 80% be a concern for someone with engineering background?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:46:59 PM)
KumarY, unfortunately there is not much that you can do about a weak interview. It's just a very competitive year!

irishkates (Mar 27, 2007 4:47:11 PM)
Jim: If we have neither interviewed nor visited the campus, will it benefit us to visit before being invited to an interview at this time?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:47:19 PM)
We look at the overall GMAT score and each portion of the test.

superwaiter (Mar 27, 2007 4:48:01 PM)
Soojin: How is the chance to defer an admission offered? Thanks.

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:48:27 PM)
We rarely grant deferrals.

AP (Mar 27, 2007 4:48:28 PM)
Thank you for your time today.

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:48:37 PM)
irishkates, a visit at this point would be for your advantage, and would not impact your chances of admission unless there was a question about your interest in Ross. The interview can be conducted via phone and would weigh equally to an in person interview.

Rosswl (Mar 27, 2007 4:48:42 PM)
Soojin: Will there be any waitlisted applicants from R3? Since by the time R3 results come out on May 15, the yield stats would probably be known?

Amit (Mar 27, 2007 4:48:53 PM)
Jim: I have sent information/updates to my waitlist manager instead of rossmba@umich.edu... will that suffice?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:49:18 PM)
Amit, that is fine. We will ensure that it finds its way into your application file.

Wayne Lin (Mar 27, 2007 4:49:27 PM)
Jim, I am planning to visit Ross in mid of April. Could I request an on-campus interview?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:49:43 PM)
Yes, there could be waitlisted applicants from R3. Since we will review waitlist files through the summer, we will consider candidates from all 3 rounds.

KumarY (Mar 27, 2007 4:49:55 PM)
Soojin: Would a personal recommendation letter from a UMich alumni have equal value to that from a UMich MBA alumni?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:50:13 PM)
Wayne Lin, at this point you cannot request an interview. We will reach out to you to get the interview scheduled at the appropriate time in the process.

SV (Mar 27, 2007 4:50:17 PM)
Jim: If we need an earlier decision on the waitlist due to upcoming commitments to other schools, can an AdCom give a quicker decision in such cases?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:51:56 PM)
SV, in general we will not begin working the wait list in earnest until mid May. If you need to commit to another school sooner, you can let the appropriate AD know, but no guarantees since we can't make decisions until we know the yield from offers outstanding.

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:52:05 PM)
KumarY- I wouldn't recommend going in search of an alum to write you a recommendation letter for the sake of having a Ross or Umich alum write you a letter. The fact of having an alum write a letter is less of an impact than having a recommendation letter from someone who really knows you well and can speak specifically, with examples, about your accomplishments, skills and potential. That perspective should have come from the 2 recommenders you chose for your application. It rings a bit hollow to get an endorsement from one of our alums who cannot provide that perspective.

Rosswl (Mar 27, 2007 4:52:12 PM)
Jim: Approximately what percentage of the class do you hope to admit in R3?

AR (Mar 27, 2007 4:52:25 PM)
Soojin: As regards the updates from our side, do you expect it in the form of an essay or will an email suffice?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:52:40 PM)
AR, email is fine.

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:52:42 PM)
Rosswl, a very small percentage of the admitted class comes from round 3.

Nilesh (Mar 27, 2007 4:52:53 PM)
Soojin, thanks for the information. I am from India and was interviewed. If there is a limitation on the number of admissions from a particular geographical area ... is that decision declared via email?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:53:27 PM)
MichaelY, the goal is to have approximately the same size class this year as last.

mads (Mar 27, 2007 4:53:38 PM)
JIm: During my application submission I was unable to get my "current" supervisor's recommendation. Would it help to send one now?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:53:43 PM)
We do not have "limitations" per se and thus, will not "declare" anything of that nature.

michimoby (Mar 27, 2007 4:53:48 PM)
Soojin: If the waitlist is going to be evaluated starting May 15th, would it be best to have any updates submitted by the first of the month?

michimoby (Mar 27, 2007 4:53:50 PM)
(er, May 1st?)

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:54:31 PM)
mads, at this point I would say not. As Soojin indicated, we will reach out to you if we need additional information in this regard. For now, we are working with the two recommendations that you originally submitted.

AR (Mar 27, 2007 4:54:42 PM)
Jim: Thanks for answering all our queries! Regarding the GMAT - I have a high quant score but a relatively low verbal score. Can you give me pointers as to what I can do other than re-taking the GMAT to address this concern?

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:54:43 PM)
Michimoby, May 1st would be fine to submit your updates. But anytime during the summer is fine too, since we will be reviewing files throughout the summer.

Jaime (Mar 27, 2007 4:56:17 PM)
Thank you Soojin...

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:56:17 PM)
I believe students can apply for financial aid after they've been admitted.

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:56:18 PM)
AR, a high TOEFL score would be helpful if you are an international applicant, but the best way to take the issue off the table is retaking the GMAT and raising the verbal portion.

dawn (Mar 27, 2007 4:56:59 PM)
Jim: If I already have strong extra-curriculars, is it worthwhile sending in additional info regarding them or should I concentrate more on perceived weaknesses?

Nilesh (Mar 27, 2007 4:57:10 PM)
Thanks Jim.

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:57:33 PM)
dawn, concentrating on any areas that you perceive to be weaker is the best way to spend this time.

michimoby (Mar 27, 2007 4:58:32 PM)
Jim, I'm looking at reapplying if I don't get accepted off the waitlist. Are re-applicants looked at favorably? And do you expect the yield to be higher next year with the new building being completed?

Rosswl (Mar 27, 2007 4:58:47 PM)
Soojin: Apart from the increase in application volumes, what is the other most notable difference in the applications this year?

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 4:59:38 PM)
michimoby, re-applicants who have obtained feedback do well in the reapplication process. And the completion of the new building is expected to take us to the next level in all respects!!

Michelle (Mar 27, 2007 5:00:01 PM)
Jim: It is my understanding that waitlisted students are not invited to Go Blue Rendezvous. Can you confirm? Are there any similar opportunities for waitlisted students that are accepted? Thanks.

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 5:00:15 PM)
Rosswl, the most notable difference would be in the strength of our applications - the overall GMAT score of our applicant pool is higher than last year (and, as a result, our admitted student average is higher), the full-time work experience and career goals seem to be very diverse, just stronger all around. Kudos to all of you for your hard work!

AR (Mar 27, 2007 5:00:20 PM)
Thanks Soojin, Jim and Linda for this opportunity

Rosswl (Mar 27, 2007 5:00:36 PM)
Soojin: Is the increase of 30% over the FINAL number of applications last year? Which means .. adding the R3 applications, it will go even higher?

irishkates (Mar 27, 2007 5:00:53 PM)
That's very helpful to know, thank you

Amit (Mar 27, 2007 5:00:59 PM)
Thanks! I really appreciate you reaching out to waitlisted applicants!

SoojinKwonKohRoss (Mar 27, 2007 5:01:06 PM)
Rosswl, 30%+ is the increase in total apps to date

JimHayesRoss (Mar 27, 2007 5:01:12 PM)
Michelle, I can confirm that Go Blue, Rendezvous is only for admitted students. Those admitted from the wait list after GBR, unfortunately, miss out on this wonderful community building experience.

Linda Abraham (Mar 27, 2007 5:01:21 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to Soojin and Jim for taking the time to virtually meet with you, provide this information, and make this process as transparent and humane as possible.

Linda Abraham (Mar 27, 2007 5:01:29 PM)
The Michigan waitlist FAQ is at http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/waitlist.htm . It is informative. Use it.

Linda Abraham (Mar 27, 2007 5:01:34 PM)
Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room