2008 London Business School MBA Admissions Chat with David Simpson

2008 London Business School MBA Admissions Chat with David Simpson

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending an e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Oct 15, 2007 12:59:02 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat.  First I want to welcome all applicants to the London Business School chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about London Business School. Whether you are working hard on your application to prepare for London Business School’s Round 1 deadline on October 19 or you are doing research with the intention of submitting later this year, to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice, you need to know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask the London Business School experts about this outstanding business school.

Linda Abraham (Oct 15, 2007 12:59:14 PM)
I also want to welcome the impressive team London Business School has assembled to answer your questions today:

• David Simpson, Acting Associate Dean, Full-time MBA Programme 
  • Zoë McLoughlin, Marketing, Events and Admissions Co-ordinator, Full-time MBA Programme 
  • Diane Morgan, Director, Career Services
  • David Morris, Industry Business Development Manager, Career Services
  • Louise Weir, Marketing Co-ordinator, Career Services
  • Alison Lenane, (from 19:00 hours) Communications Manager, Career Services
  • Linda Cai, Current student, MBA Class of 2008 Linda is from China. She is in the second year of the MBA. Undergrad in International Finance from Fudan University. Prior to the MBA worked as Consultant with the Hay Group in Shanghai. During her
  • Grace Maa, Current student, MBA Class of 2008 Grace is from Taiwan/USA. Grace is in the second year of the MBA. Undergrad in Politics and Political Economy from Princeton. Prior to the MBA worked as a national speaker in Educational Services at The Advisory Board Company (healthcare) in Washington DC. During her summer internship, Grace worked as an analyst with Barclays Wealth in London.
  • Rajat Maaker, Current student, MBA Class of 2008 Rajat, who is originally from India, is in the second year of the MBA. Undergrad in Economics from Delhi University. Prior to the MBA he worked as a Project Leader with Electrolux both in Sweden and in Australia. During his summer internship, Rajat worked as a Consultant with Shell.

Linda Abraham (Oct 15, 2007 1:01:04 PM)
I believe that Grace and Rajat actually participated in one of the chats last year.  Welcome to chat new-comers and veterans alike. Thanks to everyone for joining.

Nia (Oct 15, 2007 1:02:33 PM)
Grace: what are the activities of Entrepreneurship club (same for management club)?

Joshi_Sumit (Oct 15, 2007 1:02:52 PM)
Zoe: As I have been an entrepreneur since I was 19, I haven’t had any supervisors. Who then, in my case, should be my choice of recommenders?

kingKREEP (Oct 15, 2007 1:03:08 PM)
David: How case focused is the LBS curriculum?

ivan c. (Oct 15, 2007 1:03:42 PM)
Diane: Do you help MBA students in getting jobs during their study in London?

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:03:53 PM)
Hello everyone! Welcome to the London Business School chat.

Frankie (Oct 15, 2007 1:04:21 PM)
This is a question for Grace - as an American, how does LBS' multicultural environment help you prepare for a global career?

Captain Molecule (Oct 15, 2007 1:04:37 PM)
Rajat: What are the positions a first year can have in a professional club. How do the club elections work?

Joshi_Sumit (Oct 15, 2007 1:04:56 PM)
Louise: Are the course content and the quality of faculty members at the Dubai-London Business School comparable to the ones in London?

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:05:15 PM)
Hello Ivan, the Career Services team facilitates job searches at all times through the programme including summer internships and permanent jobs. There are also postings all year round for projects and contract work, you just need to balance working through the programme with your studies!

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:05:20 PM)
Nia - there are many activities hosted by the E club throughout the year, including speakers and an E -Conference. Past speakers have included Lord Bilimoria, the founder of Cobra Beer, and David Page of Pizza Express. There is a lot of student interest and momentum with the club, so things are always busy. Are there specific types of E activities that you're interested in?

dluna (Oct 15, 2007 1:05:54 PM)
David Morris: are students with no prior management experience likely to obtain a management position right out of school, or will they likely have to work their way up in their organization?

Joshi_Sumit (Oct 15, 2007 1:06:18 PM)
Diane Morgan: I am most interested in being a socially responsible entrepreneur. How will the full-time MBA at LBS assist me in being one?

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:06:35 PM)
Joshi: This is not unusual. What we would recommend is that you approach people that know you well in a professional capacity, and ask if they can provide a reference. If they themselves have an MBA and know what it takes to complete the course, all the better.

Margaret (Oct 15, 2007 1:06:50 PM)
Zoe: What's the minimum year of working experience?

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:07:01 PM)
kingKREEP: We use a variety of learning methods on the MBA - case studies are just one part of that. A big part of my job is working with the Admissions Committee to recruit a class of talented individuals who are able to contribute in Study Groups, in the collaborative classroom environment and in clubs - all ways that our students learn during the MBA.

Duncan_Hart (Oct 15, 2007 1:07:02 PM)
David: How does London Business School ensure that its curriculum is bang up-to-date?

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:07:08 PM)
Captain: Most professional clubs have at least one executive member from the first-year. The club elections work like any other election. The election survey is posted on portal and all club members have access to that survey. They vote using the survey and the votes are counted and announced by the club's committee.

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:07:24 PM)
Dluna - a number of companies will offer opportunities on leadership programmes which will allow candidates an opportunity of building their knowledge and experience across the company and industry.

whnm (Oct 15, 2007 1:07:59 PM)
Rajat: What is living in London like? What is your experience as an MBA student?

devu (Oct 15, 2007 1:08:30 PM)
David Morris: Is LBS good to pursue MBA in marketing vis-a-vis top 10 b-school in US? Why?

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:08:53 PM)
Hello Joshi, London Business School is a wonderful place for socially responsible entrepreneurs as you can take advantage of the entrepreneurship faculty and the Responsible Business Club for a variety of activities. Career Services supports the entrepreneurship ventures of the students and even invites entrepreneurs to present at orientation so that you can get a feel for the various opportunities open to you. You can also participate in the Summer Entrepreneurship Course.

Aditya (Oct 15, 2007 1:09:22 PM)
Zoe: I plan to start my MBA in 2008 and will miss the first deadline for LBS. How does this hamper my chances of admission ?

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:09:32 PM)
Frankie - I often get this question...More and more, US companies are doing business all over the world, and the businesses require people with the understanding of other business cultures and environments. By focusing on teamwork and multi-cultural group dynamics, London Business School has taught me so many things about working with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. With 90+% international students, London Business School truly offers me a global experience that I would have missed out on in the US.

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:09:37 PM)
Hi this is Linda. I'm a second year student at London Business School.

LouiseWeirLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:09:50 PM)
Hi Joshi- the course content and faculty are extremely comparable to those here in London- more information can be found on our website www.london.edu/dubai-londonemba.html.

Pranay Das (Oct 15, 2007 1:09:56 PM)
Rajat - Having worked in AIESEC, and Electrolux, two distinctly international organizations, how has the international experience at LBS been different? What has it really given you?

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:10:09 PM)
kingKREEP: following on from David....most classes have at least one case which should be prepared by students before class. These cases are often followed/preceded by a lecture.

Karan Malhotra (Oct 15, 2007 1:10:13 PM)
Grace: Is there room to customize the study or one has to go for the subjects mentioned for a concentration?

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:10:21 PM)
Joshi - you can take a look at some of the outstanding faculty by visiting http://www.london.edu/facultyprofiles.html to see John Mullins, the Chair of the entrepreneurship faculty.

sai (Oct 15, 2007 1:10:25 PM)
Thank you

ofer_vaisler (Oct 15, 2007 1:10:28 PM)
Hi Grace & Rajat, I am planning to pursue a career in technology product management. Could you elaborate on the opportunities the school offers in that field?

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:10:33 PM)
Devu - in terms of recruitment into marketing jobs and the industry we are seeing a growing interest from companies from across all sectors and international locations. We have a very strong marketing club on campus which runs weekly events from panel discussions, industry speakers, and networking events.

Linda Abraham (Oct 15, 2007 1:10:43 PM)
Maybe some of the career services people can also respond to Ofer's question.

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:10:58 PM)
llo, there are a lot of financial opportunities- about 25% of the class get some kind of financial support.  It can be company sponsored scholarship or annual fund scholarship; you can also apply for HSBC loan which half of the class did.

Dorn (Oct 15, 2007 1:11:00 PM)
Diane: Do you have some specialized subjects for the hedge funds and private equity?

Rajan (Oct 15, 2007 1:11:15 PM)
Louise: Given an experience of 2 years in the software industry, do you thing it is the right time for a person to apply for MBA? Is it the right choice for the career direction?

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:11:27 PM)
Margaret: One of the requirements of admission is that all of the students are able to contribute to the classroom discussion and the learnings of their class mates through imparting their professional experiences. This obviously requires some level of post-graduate work experience. How much that is however will vary depending on the individual and what they have been doing. The average experience for the current class is 5.5 years, and it ranges from 2-17 years. It is quite unusual to be admitted with less than 3 years however due to the sheer competition of highly experienced applicants.

Bren (Oct 15, 2007 1:11:44 PM)
Zoe: for recommendations letters, is it better to have an academic one and one of your former bosses? Or is it better to have the two letters from your bosses?

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:11:57 PM)
Duncan: Good question. As a relatively young school, with a great deal of autonomy, we are able to move quickly when updating aspects of the curriculum. We listen to everyone with a stake in the MBA and school - the Faculty have the academic and business knowledge to ensure their courses are kept up to date; Recruiters feed in to our programme through several initiatives, such as the Recruiters Days that Career Services hold; Students give feedback on every course and Deans of Programmes lead curriculum change as a core part of their work at the School.

Daniello (Oct 15, 2007 1:12:05 PM)
Alison: How much LBS program can help students make a career change to IB or PE after graduation? Are there any statistics?

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:12:06 PM)
Ofer - we are working with a number of companies from the Technology sector who are looking for Product Managers, for instance Google, Skype, and Amazon.

4Uvak (Oct 15, 2007 1:12:37 PM)
David Morris: Which schools does London Business School consider its main competitors? Other European schools or American schools? I'm an American trying to decide on whether to get an MBA in the States or in Europe.

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:12:41 PM)
Hi Dorn, London Business School has a PE Institute and a very active PE club. Within Career Services we have dedicated team members that focus on sourcing PE and asset management opportunities.

whnm (Oct 15, 2007 1:12:51 PM)
David Simpson: How different is LBS from other financial programs in the US? What are your strengths and weakness?

LouiseWeirLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:13:03 PM)
Hi Llo, I will answer for Alison seeing as she is not with us yet! We are an extremely international school, with truly word-class talent and receive recruiters from all over the world. Working in Career Services, this is also reflected in our office, as our 20+ staff come from seven different countries!

marathoner (Oct 15, 2007 1:13:11 PM)
Louise: If I apply by November end, can I expect to hear Adcom decision earlier than if I apply by end of the second deadline?

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:13:25 PM)
Margaret - in 2006 64% of the MBA2006 class accepted roles within the UK. This is something we are seeing again for the 2007 class.

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:13:41 PM)
Karan - there is plenty of opportunity to pick and choose the electives you're most interested in. You can choose to concentrate in a specific topic, or create your own course of study from the broad range of electives. I'm not sure right now if I will concentrate in an area or not, but the Second Year Project also offers you opportunity to explore an industry area that you're interested in and enhance your learning outside the classroom.

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:13:42 PM)
Pranay: There are many aspects that make the LBS experience unique for me. To start with, the student life at B-school is very different than that in many post-graduate courses. The learning is mostly practical and driven by student initiative. The student community at school is extremely diverse: both professionally and regionally and usually consists of some very exceptional people.

Shinah (Oct 15, 2007 1:13:49 PM)
Rajat, How much weightage does prior experience hold while applying to the LBS program?

Manty (Oct 15, 2007 1:14:09 PM)
Diane: What levels do MBA grads generally go into when they graduate...especially those with significant prior work experience. Looking at the average and highest salaries for 2006, it looks like they're entering relatively low...i.e. lower than someone with 5 years experience and no MBA.

izabel (Oct 15, 2007 1:14:28 PM)
Linda: Can a student during their first year in school have a part-time job in order to have some income?

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:14:36 PM)
Aditya: Don't worry about missing the first deadline. There is very little difference between Stages 1-3 in terms of your chances of being admitted. The main benefit of applying early is to you the applicant in that you would discover earlier whether you have been successful. Stage 4 usually has fewer spaces left depending upon the quality of the candidates in the previous three stages. Applying in Stages 1-3 also means you qualify for the majority of scholarships.

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:14:36 PM)
Karan: You can keep your elective choices as broad and personalized as you like, there is no need for your 9-12 choices to fit into a Concentration. Concentrations are simply a way of showing that you are specializing in an area - often useful when differentiating yourself to employers.

Dips (Oct 15, 2007 1:14:38 PM)
David Simpson: Is it ok to be not sure of what one wants to do after an MBA, like in my case I'm looking to weigh a few options and is it ok to mention the same on the application - essays.

Sachin (Oct 15, 2007 1:14:51 PM)
Grace: What roles can a student a play in the communities or clubs at LBS?

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:15:02 PM)
4uvak - Our main competitor within Europe will be Insead, with Oxford Said also growing in reputation. Students on the MBA do have the opportunity of going on exchange during their studies and this will include a number of the top US schools.

Janine (Oct 15, 2007 1:15:04 PM)
David Morris: Do many entrepreneurial students participate in the Entrepreneurship Summer School? What are they saying about it?

LouiseWeirLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:15:31 PM)
Hi Daniello, again answering for Alison! Planning a career change is indeed very possible here at London Business School. Lifting figures from our 2006 Employment Report, 41% of our students went into the area of finance, with 19% of those students transitioning from Consulting and 35% from Industry.

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:15:35 PM)
Hi Whnm, an MBA at London Business School can offer you global opportunities as part of the everyday experience - the students are primarily international as are the staff and faculty. Every single day you can enjoy the diversity of experience and perspectives that can set you up to be a global leader any place in the world, we truly believe the experience can't be compared to any where else! 

William (Oct 15, 2007 1:15:47 PM)
Louise: What is the approximate percentage of MBA students who desire to switch careers from an IT and/or military background into I-banking (specifically a Trading/Sales function)? Of those MBA students, what percentage are able to successfully achieve the switch?

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:16:03 PM)
Shinah, I believe the admission office looks at your prior experience, academic achievement and aspirations as a whole package. The most important is to demonstrate that you're a mature person with a good track record and clear idea about what you want to achieve with MBA

kingKREEP (Oct 15, 2007 1:16:11 PM)
Thank you David. Could you please elaborate on the non-traditional (experimental) learning methods that LBS employs, if any?

Nia (Oct 15, 2007 1:16:17 PM)
Thanks Grace. Yes! I am interested in joining this club and I wanted to find out more about it. Is there any website where I can find the information? Also, How is the committee selected?

Sachin (Oct 15, 2007 1:16:26 PM)
Linda: What is the average expenditure per month, above the tuition fees living in London?

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:16:45 PM)
Janine - the entrepreneurial summer school has a very high uptake in student participation. Students on the program will look to work on a short internship at the start of the summer and then start with the summer school.

OHK_CA_PE (Oct 15, 2007 1:16:54 PM)
Diane: Coming from private equity, I intend to continue working in PE. How do esteemed PE shops respond to the LBS degree relative to US degrees (if my intent is to settle in London post MBA)?

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:16:55 PM)
Pranay: To carry on, at school you get access to a network of alumni and students which is unparallel. You can really choose which activities and initiatives you want to be involved in and that probably is unique about being at b-school compared to working.

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:16:59 PM)
Dear Aspirant 2 - all students that would like to pursue a summer internship do, and that is about 99% of the class. It is a fantastic opportunity to career switch and build upon your skills. For examples of where previous students have summer interned, you can visit: http://www.london.edu/assets/documents/PDF/CS_MBA_2006_Employment_Report_030107.pdf 

praveen (Oct 15, 2007 1:17:06 PM)
Hi David Morris: What is the % of students in your programme having 2 or less years of work experience? Moreover the work experience that you consider is at the time of application or at the time of admission?

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:18:01 PM)
Praveen - please see Zoe's answer above.

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:18:08 PM)
Bren: This is your call. It can depend on how long you have been out of university. Many people feel they have been away for too long to make an academic reference useful. The most important thing to consider is that these people know you very well and are able to comment on the questions asked of them on the reference form. If this means two people from your current or most recent employer, that's fine.

Joshi_Sumit (Oct 15, 2007 1:18:15 PM)
Rajat: What are the kind of accommodation facilities provided by LBS for me and my spouse?

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:18:17 PM)
Sachin, this is very personal and it's a really wide range from 500 to 3000+, just what I'm aware of. it really depends on the kind of life style you decide to live. Normally if you are sharing with one or two classmates and cook most of the time yourself, you should expect to spend around 1500 per month with accommodation.

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:18:22 PM)
Sachin - With a small tightknit community of just 320 students per class, everyone pitches in on activities and student clubs! This is truly a self-starter environment and everyone seems to be involved in multiple activities and organisations on campus. Last year, I helped to launch and organize the first annual Art Investment Conference at London Business School with an MBA2007. It was a great experience to bring over 190+ investment professionals and art advisors on campus and turned out to be the largest conference on campus last year. If you have an idea or want to be involved with an existing organisation on campus, you will be very busy!

Ike (Oct 15, 2007 1:18:29 PM)
David Morris: I would like to focus studies in community entrepreneurship in poor countries. Will the LBS MBA provide me good background for that specific area?

mayank (Oct 15, 2007 1:18:55 PM)
Grace: How competitive is it to get in the Summer consulting team? Is there a selection procedure?

achin (Oct 15, 2007 1:19:07 PM)
Zoe: Me and my wife are planning to apply in the same year in LBS. We are bit concerned about the finances. Could you throw some light on financial opportunities available to international students ?

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:19:13 PM)
Dear OHK_CA_PE, you are in luck if you are already in PE as you will be able to leverage your work experience and your academic experience. Most of the PE firms are looking for skills that can be brought to them either from PE, Investment banking or strategy consulting. PE jobs usually come just in time since the shops are run lean so opportunities will come one at a time when needed and much networking, as to be expected, is involved on the students part to demonstrate the right skills for the right opportunity. 

AlexA (Oct 15, 2007 1:19:21 PM)
Zoe: What is the minimum level of the TOEFL scores below which you do not consider the TOEFL results?

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:19:21 PM)
Dips: We hope that everyone coming into an MBA has some sense of direction, but recognizes that there will be a lot of opportunities placed before them - that balance is important. You should always be honest in your application - so do not invent desire to pursue any particular role unless you have a desire to go after it. Showing that you recognize that there will be choices, and showing some evidence that you've researched post-MBA choices should be ok.

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:19:45 PM)
Joshi_sumit: LBS does not provide accommodation. However, most students live close to campus either by sharing flats or by renting studios/1-bedroom flats. You can also apply to London Uni dorms. I stay with my partner in a 1-bedroom flat about 8 minutes away (by bike).

Khetrapal (Oct 15, 2007 1:19:45 PM)
David Simpson: It is a common belief that the general profile of a MBA student in a top management school in Europe consists of over 6 years of work ex and he/she has an average age of 29.How would a candidate with an age of 25 with a 4 year entrepreneurial work experience in a self start venture stack up against the average profile of accepted students in a top notch European business school?

devu (Oct 15, 2007 1:19:55 PM)
Thanks.

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:20:16 PM)
Nia - go on to http://www.entrepreneurship-club.org/ for more information about the club. For others who are interested in learning more about Student Organizations on Campus, see: http://www.londonsa.org/index.php

LouiseWeirLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:20:21 PM)
William- hi. As above, according to our latest Employment Report 35% of students in the MBA2006 class switched from Industry to a Finance role- if this is something you are considering I would definitely do your research-use your peers, join the relevant clubs, interact with our skilled alumni, attend our Career Services networking events- and there should be no reason why a switch isn't possible.

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:20:24 PM)
Ike - we have a very strong focus on social responsibility at London Business School. This includes the Responsible Business Club which will work with companies in hosting events and building awareness and skills in the area. In terms of recruiters working in this area we will work with many not-for-profits, such as the Clinton Foundation.

Aditya (Oct 15, 2007 1:20:29 PM)
Louise: How good is LBS for a career change?

avinash (Oct 15, 2007 1:20:40 PM)
Zoe: Can more frequent job switches be detrimental to the application?

Captain Molecule (Oct 15, 2007 1:20:49 PM)
David Morris: Is there a small business consulting program for students where they get to work with fledgling companies in Europe?

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:20:56 PM)
Ike, we have a a very active Responsible Business club which does a lot of networking and projects in Corporate Social Responsibility AREA. Our Entrepreneurial course has several cases on social entrepreneurship so I believe you will find a lot of colleagues and networks to work together with and to leverage.

neo (Oct 15, 2007 1:21:06 PM)
Linda: How far away is the average student population staying & do we need to stay close to our groups ?

Nia (Oct 15, 2007 1:21:13 PM)
Grace: Whats the involvement from students,faculty,corporates in terms of management club or any other club for that matter?

Simone (Oct 15, 2007 1:21:16 PM)
Rajat: How are the IT related placements in LBS?

marathoner (Oct 15, 2007 1:21:29 PM)
David Morris: I want to major in Strategy. What are the jobs that are typically available in LBS given that it is core finance, consulting, entre. school?

LouiseWeirLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:21:43 PM)
Aditya- Please read the answers I posted to William and Daniello!

Krishna (Oct 15, 2007 1:21:53 PM)
David Simpson: Does LBS encourage reapplications?

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:22:04 PM)
Chakri: The GMAT is just one piece of the overall application jigsaw that AdComs take into consideration. You should aim for a score around the class average. (The average last year was 690). GMAT becomes more important if you have not performed well at degree level.

AshK (Oct 15, 2007 1:22:08 PM)
Louise: Is LBS curriculum suitably carved for a career in General Management...what are various opportunites at LBS one can exploit for the same there?

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:22:10 PM)
Mayank - I wasn't involved with the Summer Consulting Team this year, but you can contact them directly to find out more information and learn about the selection process. http://www.london.edu/programmes/summerconsulting.html

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:22:12 PM)
Vashistha: The average score of my batch is 690, so I don't think your score is by any means less. The range for the school is 600-800.

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:22:17 PM)
Captain Molecule - we will work with small companies on projects and also summer internships. We have a close link with a number of Venture Capital companies who will look for people for their portfolio companies.

cing (Oct 15, 2007 1:22:19 PM)
Zoe: Could you please describe the qualities that LBS looks for in its students?

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:22:34 PM)
Hello Sachin, the finance training at London Business School, combined with the proximity to the city and the access to the global markets of NY and Hong Kong offer students each year opportunities to join investment banking, either in Corporate Finance or markets. You will have the opportunity to learn through the clubs, faculty, career services, fellow classmates and the alumni and upon graduation, approximately 40% of students chose finance as their career. See the employment report for details: http://www.london.edu/assets/documents/PDF/CS_MBA_2006_Employment_Report_030107.pdf

kellymrogan (Oct 15, 2007 1:22:34 PM)
Zoe: One more recommendation letter question. It's becoming more common for US companies to have a no recommendation letter policy. My entire professional career has been with companies with this kind of policy. Is LBS understanding of this?

LouiseWeirLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:22:36 PM)
For further information on our Employment trends and stats please go to http://www.london.edu/recruiters.html.

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:22:40 PM)
Khetrapal, see Zoe's answer earlier concerning experience. Having relevant experience is important, but the range in any one class is large. This shows that we select the very best individuals from many backgrounds. It is quite possible that with 4 years in a start up, your experience could be more interesting to your classmates, (and therefore us), than someone who has worked for 6 years with a larger corporation.

William (Oct 15, 2007 1:23:29 PM)
David: How does the LBS Adcom look at an application in which the applicant is currently not employed for 3-4 months following a career break/gap? In other words, leaving the military in order to take on more interests relevant to pursuing a career in investment banking?

cdeneo (Oct 15, 2007 1:23:38 PM)
Louise: As a follow up from marathoner, how soon does one need to get back to LBS once accepted to the program?

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:23:38 PM)
Simone: It depends on what kind of work you want to do with IT. I know that BT, Google, and Yahoo recruit on campus and so do many VCs wanting to invest in technology businesses.

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:23:43 PM)
Neo, the course work in the first year is very intense. I normally spend a lot of time at school doing group projects, discussions and of course club activities. So it makes your life much easier if you stay close to school at least the first year.

Simone (Oct 15, 2007 1:24:23 PM)
Rajat: Most people suggest going to US schools as compared to UK as it is very difficult to gain work permit in UK after MBA ... how true is this?

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:24:43 PM)
Krisha, we certainly consider reapplications. We will assess how you might have changed and added to your profile. We expect the quality of application to have improved as well.

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:24:46 PM)
Hi Marathoner, there are many opportunities that involve strategy responsibilities, be it in strategy consulting, leadership programmes, boutique consulting or internal strategy teams. Each year, students go into all of these areas.

Vishnu (Oct 15, 2007 1:25:01 PM)
David Morris: How will LBS help a person to start his own venture immediately after graduation?

GoodDevil (Oct 15, 2007 1:25:26 PM)
David Simpson: How much of the LBS MBA experience is practical experience - in terms of internships, clubs, or interactions with industry, vis-a-vis theoretical experience?

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:25:40 PM)
Simone: Students who study at London Business School qualify for HSMP work visa- which allows you to work in UK.

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:25:48 PM)
Nia - being in London, you can imagine how many firms come on campus and sponsor events, speakers, sports teams, etc. Numerous companies want to be involved and reach out to students and they are generous with their support. Faculty members are also very active--from participating as facilitators for conferences (such as the Women in Business conference this week and the Asset Management conference) or helping to provide valuable contacts and perspective on specific topics.

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:26:06 PM)
AlexA: We have a variety of methods of assessing a candidates level of English - the application essays, English test scores and the interview itself. Because of this we do not have a minimum score. You can find the full details on our website at www.london.edu/mba/apply/

Golash (Oct 15, 2007 1:26:14 PM)
Diane - Do companies conduct recruitment for locations other than the UK at LBS? Or do students utilize the alumni network for non-UK opportunities?

Gaurav (Oct 15, 2007 1:26:20 PM)
Rajat : Hi , I already have MBA from TOP 10 Bschool in India , and have post MBA Experience of close to 5 yrs , do you think LBS can prove to be a good choice for 2nd MBA ? And how?

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:26:33 PM)
For those of you interested in Entrepreneurship - some fantastic details are available at: http://www.london.edu/programmes2175.html

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:26:43 PM)
Vishnu, LBS has several courses and electives focusing on Entrepreneurship. During the summer between the first year and the second year, you also have the opportunity to join the Entrepreneurship Summer School where you present your business ideas to a panel of experienced entrepreneurs and venture capitalists who help you develop your ideas further.

Shinah (Oct 15, 2007 1:26:59 PM)
Thanks Linda, Can you please tell me how important is the kind of work experience required especially when you are looking for a career change? How does the Adcom look at the scenario?

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:27:28 PM)
cdeneo - let me take that question. All the dates are listed on the website. Basically you have about a month to accept after being given a month.  
http://www.london.edu/mba/admissions.html for all admissions dates.

Janine (Oct 15, 2007 1:27:58 PM)
David Simpson: How is international exposure weighted in terms of admission? Can the fact that someone is seeking to attend LBS be enough?

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:28:00 PM)
Gaurav: That really depends on your objectives from a 2nd MBA. I know a few students who have already got an MBA, but have found their experience at London Business School very useful - both professionally and personally.

Nia (Oct 15, 2007 1:28:18 PM)
Rajat: Where can I find more information regarding the clubs and it's activities? Grace: Please can you give me that website to the management club if any?

KCN (Oct 15, 2007 1:28:31 PM)
DavidMorris: How much VC fund access and exposure is available at LBS?

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:28:40 PM)
Shinah, most people come to business schools to look for a career change. It is more important where you want to go and how you prepare yourself for that. Therefore it's important to articulate your thinking process and what you have done to facilitate that change in your application. Again the Admission officer is more concerned whether you are responsible, mature and prepared.

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:28:46 PM)
Hello Golash, companies recruit from all over the world. There is a focus on London, UK and continental Europe given our location of course but each year the Career Services team travels to New York, Hong Kong, Dubai, Silicon Valley and Switzerland to source opportunities in sectors such as technology, finance, Pharma and marketing. You'll find that many students like to stay in the region so companies will focus opportunities in Europe but each year approximately 40% of students take positions outside of the UK.

Shinah (Oct 15, 2007 1:28:55 PM)
Zoe: What are the key areas I need to look into (taking into account I have a lesser work ex) to strengthen my application to the LBS?

LouiseWeirLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:28:59 PM)
AshK- Sorry for the delay. The curriculum here at London definitely supports the opportunity to go into General Management. 9% of our students who graduated last summer went into a General Management role. Also, a lot of Leadership Programmes after graduation in your new roles will prepare you for such a job function.

Sachin1 (Oct 15, 2007 1:29:36 PM)
Grace: How can I participate in the clubs, what roles can I play? How do students generally contribute in these clubs?

gaurav puri (Oct 15, 2007 1:29:52 PM)
Louise: Do you accept applications from students who have already done an MBA?

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:30:30 PM)
Nia - please go to http://www.londonsa.org/index.php for a list of all the student organisations and their individual activities.

Captain Molecule (Oct 15, 2007 1:30:49 PM)
Diane: Are there any specific VC firms that you work with on a regular basis? Or is it need driven, in the sense that a VC firm approaches the school as and when it needs students?

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:30:51 PM)
KCN - This will be linked to the network via the Entrepreneurship faculty and the various clubs such as the Entrepreneurship Club and VC/PE Club. The Summer Entrepreneurial School will give you access to VCs for whom you will present your business plans too. There are also various VC competitions run by the clubs.

nanni (Oct 15, 2007 1:30:58 PM)
Grace: Which are the main differences between the 15 months and the 21 months programmes?

Mroh (Oct 15, 2007 1:31:16 PM)
David Morris: Do you have any automotive related companies in your recruiters list?

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:31:30 PM)
Jatin2, obviously developing international leaders is one of the focuses of LBS. The majority of the class has some kind of international experience either through working in another country or traveling. That being said, it's more important to show why you want international experience (please don't say you just want to get into any business school!) and what you are planning to do. For example, saying you are planning to travel to another culture/country is a good initiative.

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:31:42 PM)
Sachin 1 - see my earlier posting to Sachin for information about club activities and roles.

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:31:45 PM)
Kellymrogan: Sure. We understand that it's often difficult to get references for a variety of reasons - like when you cannot tell your employers that you are thinking of leaving! In these circumstances (and the no recommendation letter policy) you could try and find a colleague who you know at another organisation, such as a customer/supplier.

Aditya (Oct 15, 2007 1:31:50 PM)
Louise: How are the chances after graduation from LBS that you get a job in US?

Roald (Oct 15, 2007 1:32:02 PM)
Zoe: What would you consider to be the big difference in applying in R1 or R2, I suppose that the later you apply the "typical profiles quota" will already be met, or....?

LouiseWeirLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:32:12 PM)
Sachin- just to jump in there too, Career Services plays a key role in the activities of the Clubs- we love to keep up to track with all the events and missions of our professional clubs and see each club as a great networking tool for students. We also use the clubs to advertise key Career Services events such as workshops and recruitment fairs and the clubs in turn advertise through our weekly Career Services newsletter.

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:33:02 PM)
Mroh - the automobile companies who have advertised roles and come to campus in the past include Volkswagen, BMW, and Fiat.

Nia (Oct 15, 2007 1:33:03 PM)
Thanks Grace. I want to be very active in couple of clubs like entrepreneurship, management club, etc. What are some of the other clubs at LBS? Where can I get a list of these clubs and information regarding their activities?

neo (Oct 15, 2007 1:33:18 PM)
David Morris: Is 14 years of work experience too much ?

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:33:25 PM)
GoodDevil - a lot of what you will spend your time on at the School will be practical - either bringing the academic material to life, or practical projects that enhance your opportunities to gain experience in new areas or exposure to recruiters. Plus some of the projects are fee based - which gives opportunities to make some money whilst on the MBA.

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:33:37 PM)
Hi Captain Molecule - great name! VC companies will come to us when there is a need and we keep involved by staying connected to our alumni in the field and keeping abreast of what is going on in the markets. A few companies enjoy the experience with students and graduates, such as Amedeus and DN Capital and post opportunities each year.

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:34:04 PM)
Nanni - the main difference between the 15m and 21m programme is how much FUN you can have! Seriously, the main difference between the two lengths of programmes is the access you have to the electives you want to take. Even with 15m, you can still complete a summer internship and even go on exchange, but the access you have to specific electives will be limited. Some electives are not available across all terms and it does make a difference if there's a course you really need to/want to take.

Shinah (Oct 15, 2007 1:34:07 PM)
David Simpson: In the LBS application there is a mandatory essay on international exposure. Does that mean that international exposure is a must for applying to the LBS?

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:34:58 PM)
Aditya, it's quite common for people who are from the US to go back to US after graduation. the school and the professional clubs help organize various career treks to east and west coast of US. However if you are not originally from US you have to take into consideration that most US companies need you have work authorization before they can consider you for any job.

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:35:11 PM)
Nia - please see http://www.londonsa.org/index.php for the list of all the student clubs on campus and see their individual websites for further information on activities.

nikhil1306 (Oct 15, 2007 1:35:17 PM)
Diane: Hi Linda. I have a question on behalf of a friend. For someone who has been in the Indian IT service industry for 8 years, and has an interest in PE / IB, how easy / tough would it be to make a shift. This friend of mine has done a diploma in Finance (the Indian equivalent of the CFA). Would he be slotted into the IT industry because of the experience?

Maik (Oct 15, 2007 1:35:41 PM)
Linda: Are there any exams during the study and about how much? As I noticed there should be a lot of case studies instead.

AshK (Oct 15, 2007 1:35:51 PM)
Thanks Louise.

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:36:15 PM)
Roald - it makes no difference if you apply in Stage 1 or Stage 2. Don't rush an application this week - take your time and go for Stage 2. In fact only Stage 4 presents any possibility of any issue - by then we are often just rounding off the class. Also not all scholarships are available in Stage 4.

Hamid (Oct 15, 2007 1:36:19 PM)
David, how is the percentage of the people in the LBS MBA with non-management experiences? After finishing their MBA, do they switch from management completely or continue in technical management positions, such as product manager etc.?

LouiseWeirLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:36:35 PM)
Aditya- A lot of our students are American- 23% in last years' graduating class and many non-US nationals also decide to further their career after London Business School in the US. As Diane mentioned, we have recruiters present on campus from all over the world, and a lot of these companies are recruiting for jobs in America. In the graduating class, 11% found jobs in America for companies such as Google and and P&G. Remember however that visas are an issue and if you do not have an American passport or visa things may be a bit tricky- many of our recruiters do ask that you having permits/visas to work in their country!

Pranay Das (Oct 15, 2007 1:36:52 PM)
Louise: What are the prospects for brand management careers? How has recent recruitment been in this area?

Nia (Oct 15, 2007 1:37:04 PM)
Thanks Grace. What is a study group? How do people contribute to it? What is the working process of a study group? Is it more team focused like Fuqua business school or more individualistic?

LouiseWeirLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:38:01 PM)
Pranay- Brand Management has been a growing area for recruitment here at the School-in particular with companies such as L'Oreal and P&G.

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:38:17 PM)
Nia - 1st rule of study groups...we don't talk about study groups...just kidding.  Study groups are assigned by the Programme office at the start of your MBA and they are generally made up of 6-7 first years from different nationalities and backgrounds. There can be no 'divorce' from your study group, which means that most all courses your first year will require group work to be completed by the study group. I am not familiar with Fuqua's style of study groups, but I've found London Business School to be very teamwork focused. Much of the work your first year will have a key group work component. This can be both frustrating and a relief at the same time--since there are other people who will be up late studying and working with you. I've learned a great deal about team dynamics and individual work styles form my study group. Study groups are definitely a core part of the learning experience at London Business School.

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:38:21 PM)
Hi Nikhil, moving into banking will really depend on the transferable skills your friend can bring to the finance industry and how he/she combines that experience with the academics at London Business School. The banks are open to people switching careers as long as you can show the value that you can bring to an organisation. PE will be more focused on specific experience since it is such a competitive area and there are many people interested in few positions. A PE shop is usually run with a lean number of staff so training is not as integral to the hiring.

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:38:25 PM)
nikhil1306, it's very difficult for me to say. It really depends on what particular experience your friend has acquired in IT. So far as I'm aware of, some PE firms have a strong focus on technology companies so this might be where your friend can come in. in terms of banking, they normally take people from all backgrounds (if the market is good) so long as your friend demonstrates good quantatative skills and capability and drive to work long hours, he has a chance.

alessia (Oct 15, 2007 1:38:29 PM)
Grace: I see you have a lot of activities, and you give the chance to spend time in foreign countries for short projects; does everyone have to pay by themselves for those activities, or is the cost included into the school fees?

Golash (Oct 15, 2007 1:38:42 PM)
Linda: For the Second year project, do students compete for opportunities to consult with the companies? Are there opportunities from a wide range of industries?

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:38:48 PM)
Neo - there is no upper limit on work experience. We focus a lot of our learning on students sharing experiences with each other, (through the faculty facilitating focused discussion), so if you have plenty to bring, you will be in demand! However, you do need to consider if a Full-time MBA is right for you - will you learn enough from your peer group of fellow students?

Goenka (Oct 15, 2007 1:39:19 PM)
Diane: What things should one consider, if one has 7 years of work ex but, in a family managed business which is very traditional in work culture; and looking to change streams to IB.

GoodDevil (Oct 15, 2007 1:39:33 PM)
Louise: For those of us looking for a career change through an MBA, how willing are companies to recruit candidates who have had no prior work experience in that field be it consulting/investment banking etc.? Does LBS guide such students through the recruitment phase?

olegpolyntsev (Oct 15, 2007 1:39:54 PM)
Zoe: David Simpson: How are Ph.D and professional qualifications such as Chartered Engineer weighted?

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:40:06 PM)
Hi Cing: As with any competitive programme we are looking for candidates that have strong academics. We look for evidence of future leadership potential, from your achievements in your previous professional, academic or social life. We also want to admit people that will take an active part in school community life, be that within the classroom, or outside of the classroom. One of the commonly mentioned traits of our students is their collaborative nature in terms of helping each other through the coursework and in the job search. They always have time to help one another out.

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:40:40 PM)
kingKREEP: Most of my learning at school has come from other students. In class, its from different perspectives from other students who are discussing a case with you. Outside of classes - which are 3-6/ week - everything is student managed. From club leadership/membership to consulting/finance interview preparation. The student body defines the entire experience.

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:40:45 PM)
Golash, the School posted a wide range of project opportunities across different industries and functions. Apart from applying for that list of projects, you are also encouraged to go out and find your own projects where you own the client relationship and it can be more rewarding. There is competition for sure particularly if the project is in some popular areas like PE but not overwhelming.

Shinah (Oct 15, 2007 1:40:55 PM)
Rajat: How interactive is the class room during the course of a lecture? Are there any instances of topics being debated over both by students and professors alike?

Aditya (Oct 15, 2007 1:41:14 PM)
Thanks Lousie.

gaurav puri (Oct 15, 2007 1:41:26 PM)
David Simpson: Please tell me what mistakes should we avoid before applying to LBS?????

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:41:30 PM)
Hamid - I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Not all students come in with experience of managing people, some have been focused on managing projects within teams, or on their own in very technical areas. If you wish to pursue a line management role, but have no management experience, then you can use your time at the School to pick up leadership opportunities through clubs and events organisation.

AAA (Oct 15, 2007 1:41:41 PM)
David Morris: Are there any companies sponsoring their employee(s) for an MBA from LBS. If yes, can you name few?

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:41:57 PM)
Hello Goenka, running your own business/family business is a great experience where you learn a variety of skills that can be applied to many industries, including banking. You'll need to think about how results oriented you were in the business - were you involved in the budget? Hiring? Marketing? Selling? Competitive analysis - no matter how big/small the business, you can bring these skills to banking. The key is to present this experience with confidence and enough general information so that others can understand the impact you could make.

pam (Oct 15, 2007 1:42:25 PM)
Diane: What are the opportunities in Strategy Development and Consulting in Oil and Gas Industry?

Nia (Oct 15, 2007 1:42:50 PM)
Grace: I have heard that LBS encourages students to run the show. Is that true?

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:43:04 PM)
AAA - although I cannot comment too much, there is approx. 5% sponsored for a variety of companies such as McKinsey.

4Uvak (Oct 15, 2007 1:43:24 PM)
David Morris: How recognized is an LBS MBA in the U.S. compared to top American programs? I am an American with work experience in Ukraine. How helpful is an LBS degree if I plan to work in the former Soviet Union for 5-10 years before moving back to the States?

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:43:38 PM)
Shinah: Class participation is a major component of assessment in all cases. There have, as you mentioned, been many instances of heated arguments. The professors usually play a facilitative role in these discussions.

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:44:03 PM)
Gaurav Puri - You should spend a lot of time reading over your application before applying - have you done yourself justice with the work you have submitted? Watch out for spelling mistakes...and no 'text speak'!

cdeneo (Oct 15, 2007 1:44:08 PM)
David: Timing of application for round 1 vs round 2 seems to not affect the acceptance - does round 3 though pose problems for candidates for most common profiles though since most of the folks from that profile might have been accepted in rounds 1 and 2?

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:44:11 PM)
Hello Pam, great timing on your question, the CEO of Shell will be here on Thursday evening and the Global Energy Summit will take place on 2nd November http://www.londonenergyclub.org.uk/EnergySummit.html. More info to follow from me and Rajat!

AmyB (Oct 15, 2007 1:44:20 PM)
Diane: Hi, I would like to move to private wealth management immediately after school, what kind of prospects does LBS offer in this regard?

chidi (Oct 15, 2007 1:44:59 PM)
Hi Zoe. How easy is it for students to access funding for the MBA program?

Uday (Oct 15, 2007 1:45:09 PM)
David: I believe that the avg. work experience at LBS currently is 5.5 years. Is there a mid 80% range for the same based on which I can guage the lower limit of the work ex. I have 2.5 yrs, with one year spent overseas.

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:45:21 PM)
Pam, in addition to the companies which Rajat will mention, a few of the consultants such as Accenture and Booz recruit specifically for their energy practices as well.

Archan (Oct 15, 2007 1:45:30 PM)
Diane Morgan: I am from India ( I guess most in this chat room are), and am assuming there is a healthy number of Indian students at the LBS.  I wish to know if the curricula / project work etc. are centered towards just European or American Markets.  Or can they suit even Asian- typically Indian or Chinese markets? Are there many Asian LBS alumni who have returned back to their motherland after graduation?

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:45:41 PM)
Sold: We do not have a minimum GMAT score at the application stage. The lowest score of someone entering the class last year was 600 and nobody received an offer with a score of lower than this. It is possible to be invited for interview if you have a score of lower than 600, but you would likely be asked to retake and get above the 600 mark before any offer were made.

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:45:49 PM)
4Uvak - The MBA from London Business School is well recognized, especially in international companies. We have alumni in most companies who have helped spread the word on London Business School. We also run business development treks to the US, in particular NY for Finance and Silicon valley for Technology and visit a range of companies. We are also in contact with a number of companies in Russia who are looking to recruit from the school.

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:46:11 PM)
Alessi - student activities are generally funded by corporate sponsorship. There hasn't been too many experiences where I have had to pay out of pocket for class activities-- for example, our Technology Management class took a trip to visit the Ducati factory in Bologna last May and the school paid for all of our trip expenses. (excluding meals and visits to enotecas, of course.)

Abhijits (Oct 15, 2007 1:46:17 PM)
Hi Zoe: Is having IT background a disadvantage from admission point of view? (Taking diversity into consideration?)

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:46:24 PM)
Pam: I worked with Shell in their Strategy development team over the summer. I am sure there are many such opportunities with other oil majors- shell, BP, XON etc who also come to recruit on campus. Apart from that as Diane mentioned almost all consulting firms do a lot of work with energy companies - and are keen on people who have energy experience/interest.

Shinah (Oct 15, 2007 1:46:34 PM)
David Morris: What is the best way of going for a career change? Is there anything that can be done to help the transition to a newer career(apart from self study)?

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:46:53 PM)
Hi AmyB, the Investment management club is very active at LBS and organised great networking opportunities with major Private banks or PWM of investment banks such as Goldman and UBS. This year, about 20 of my classmates interned at PWM and it will be more for full time and next year.

AAA (Oct 15, 2007 1:47:02 PM)
Thanks David.

LouiseWeirLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:47:05 PM)
Hi Good Devil- If you are looking for a career change during your MBA all is not lost if you feel you have a few transferable skills to make a switch say from Industry to Consulting. You will have the opportunity to receive coaching during the course, and will learn invaluable skills from your study group, peers and alumni. Another great way to build experience would be from a Leadership Programme once employed by a company which would develop on the skills you have gained during your MBA. With regards to Career Services, we offer you one-on-one career coaching sessions with a Career Coach designated to your programme who will work on your career strategy with you and, when it comes to the heavy recruitment periods, sit down and work through any issues with your CV and cover letter. We have experts on all fields in our office- be it Industry, Consulting or Finance and we are here to help you with such transitions!

Hamid (Oct 15, 2007 1:47:11 PM)
David, What I mean is that, does pursuing an MBA mean a complete switch from technical roles to management roles? Especially when you are deeply technical (consultant level).

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:47:23 PM)
Oleg: It depends on your industry background. It is often essential for people on a certain track to have a masters, professional qualifications or even a PhD. However, if someone is just looking to collect another qualification without having much relevant work experience to offer, we may have some serious questions. We see our MBA as being way more than an academic qualification - it is also a career qualification offering many life changing opportunities.

Nia (Oct 15, 2007 1:47:27 PM)
Thanks Grace. I know I am throwing a lot of questions at you. I like your to the point replies.

pam (Oct 15, 2007 1:47:32 PM)
Thanks a lot Diane.

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:47:49 PM)
Shinah - a lot of work needs to be conducted on researching the industry and companies you would like to change to. We have career coaches within career Services who will work closely with students over the two-years of the program in defining their career strategy.

praveen (Oct 15, 2007 1:47:51 PM)
Louise: What difference will be there in career prospects, brand equity in the industry, and compensation if I do a MBA with finance concentration vis a vis a Master in Finance from LBS. Also for those with less work ex and who do not have experience in finance and want to make a career switch to investment banking which one do you recommend?

Pranay Das (Oct 15, 2007 1:47:58 PM)
Rajat - In your view, is there an area of the LBS experience that has not met your expectation?

gaurav puri (Oct 15, 2007 1:48:13 PM)
Thank you Mr. Simpson.

Shinah (Oct 15, 2007 1:48:30 PM)
Thanks Rajat, how easy has it been for you to cruise through the program? What do you think is the USP of the LBS program?

Linda Abraham (Oct 15, 2007 1:49:01 PM)
Could Grace and Linda respond to the question?

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:49:02 PM)
Nia - Students here are definitely very involved in activities, clubs, and organizing special events, if that's what you mean. The programme office is busy throughout the year meeting with prospectives around the world, so they definitely encourage and support students on campus to take a lead on in school activities.

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:49:07 PM)
Dear Archan, the beautiful thing about the community here is that everyone contributes a part of their culture so you'll find influence from all areas and interest in all areas. We run a finance trek to Hong Kong for students interested in HK banking and that is run with the Asia club.  In addition, the profile of the staff and faculty match those of the students with approximately 70% coming from outside of the UK so the opportunities are endless. Our students have returned to China and other parts of Asia and we have a few alumni that work their way back to India a few years after graduation but we've found most of the students prefer not to return to India immediately post graduation.

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:49:12 PM)
Pranay - thats personal. Frankly, I expected a bigger gym - but I guess you have to live with some things.

AAA (Oct 15, 2007 1:49:51 PM)
Diane: Will my experience in running a non profit organisation (NGO) act as a help/hindrance in getting admission in LBS? How good are the opportunities for me post my MBA from LBS, to enhance my knowledge and skills in managing NGO?

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:49:59 PM)
Chidi: Hi, we have approx 40 scholarships that we award to admitted candidates each year. These range in value from £8000 - £50000. The majority of these are awarded on merit (based upon your application), although we do have a number of financial needs bursaries. If you are offered a place on the programme you are automatically considered for these awards. We also offer the HSBC loan scheme that is open to all accepted candidates. This can provide up to £50,000. Our US based students are able to apply for Federal and Stafford loans, which they often find are the best deals going.

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:50:02 PM)
Hamid - not necessarily. The MBA can take you in many different directions. We hope that your long term aim is in a leadership position rather than advancing just technical roles, however, as long as you have a lot of ambition and motivation - you are on the right track.

mkpankaj (Oct 15, 2007 1:50:24 PM)
Zoe- what should be good GMAT score to apply for LBS for someone having 6yrs of exp in IT?

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:50:36 PM)
Nia - Sure, glad to help.

William (Oct 15, 2007 1:50:46 PM)
David Simpson: How does the LBS adcom view an application in which the applicant has a period of 3-4 months with no full-time employment prior to submission of the application? (The reasons are family related.)

pam (Oct 15, 2007 1:50:49 PM)
Rajat, thanks for the information.

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:50:51 PM)
Hello Praveen, these are a lot of questions so I'm going to refer you to the employment reports at: http://www.london.edu/assets/documents/PDF/CS_MBA_2006_Employment_Report_030107.pdf and http://www.london.edu/assets/documents/PDF/MiF_employment_2006_report_FINAL.pdf and then write a bit more.

Michael (Oct 15, 2007 1:51:34 PM)
David Morris: I am an American attorney but will qualify as an English Solicitor later this year. I am looking to combine my legal experience in real estate with an MBA to transition into investment banking. Would this combination be seen as an advantage if I wanted to work in London?

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:51:48 PM)
Shinah: For me the USP for London Business School is London. The school, in a lot of ways, is defined by London. Access to a financial capital, cheap flights for travel, diverse communities and a very vibrant economy - I think its an ideal place for an international business school.

AmyB (Oct 15, 2007 1:51:54 PM)
Thank you Linda.

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:52:23 PM)
Hi Praveen, it really depends on what you want to get out of the programmes you are considering. Do you already have experience in Finance? You'll find that most of the Masters in Finance students do, so the course work can be quite accelerated. Are you looking to make a major career switch, such as changing industry, function and location? If so, a summer internship and two year MBA programme might be beneficial for you. It really is a personal choice based on your experience and career goals.

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:52:29 PM)
Shinah, if you have a business background, it's obviously easier to go through certain subjects like Accounting and Finance. That being said, at LBS, you have 5 to 6 people working with you in study group and these people are from all sorts of background so we help each other out. LBS's USP is 1) we are international, both the location, the student body and the curriculum. 2) It's a collaborative environment where you can build a lot of meaningful contacts and relationships whereas a lot of other programs tend to be individualistic and competitive.

Shinah (Oct 15, 2007 1:52:42 PM)
Thanks David, so what are the key factors that a member of Adcom looks into while selecting a candidate who is looking for a career shift (apart from the high learnability quotient)?

William (Oct 15, 2007 1:52:49 PM)
Rajat: Does LBS have a lacrosse club?

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:52:56 PM)
Michael - this could be an interesting profile for some of the investment banks. It is also a similar profile that some of the PE Real Estate funds have looked at especially in London.

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:53:05 PM)
Uday, see previous answers about experience. To add to that, a large proportion of students have between 4-9 years. Don't let that put you off though!

Pranay Das (Oct 15, 2007 1:53:05 PM)
Thanks very much, before we wrap up...this has been most useful, will wait for the transcript. Rajat - when did you ever use a gym!!??

Maik (Oct 15, 2007 1:53:40 PM)
David Simpson: How realistic are the chances to succeed the programme, if once accepted?

pamli (Oct 15, 2007 1:53:54 PM)
David Morris: What kind of a support does one get from the institute if a student decides to start a venture on his own immediately after finishing his MBA?

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:54:12 PM)
Maik - that all depends on you and how much work you put in!

Jo (Oct 15, 2007 1:54:21 PM)
Zoe: Hi, I would like to ask a question. Do you know how important the undergraduate is for the application? If I have a high GMAT score but low Undergrad GPA, how much will this affect my application?

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:54:22 PM)
Pranay:  :-)

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:54:31 PM)
Dear AAA, it really depends on what you did at the NGO and where you would like to go next. For example, many consulting companies will find this experience of interest depending on the location where you were, how resourceful you were on running the business on a budget and your negotiation skills with governments and other agencies.

gaurav puri (Oct 15, 2007 1:54:38 PM)
Rajat, you got to tell us what made you do a European MBA when you could have applied to the ones available in the USA? Please tell me!

Maki (Oct 15, 2007 1:54:52 PM)
Diane: What are examples of Japanese firms which came to recruit LBS students?

GoodDevil (Oct 15, 2007 1:55:05 PM)
Thanks for the answer Louise - Its really great that every student will have a Career Coach to guide him on his career strategy!

Prashant (Oct 15, 2007 1:55:18 PM)
Grace, Rajat: Hi! Many thanks to LBS and Accepted.com to organize this chat. In addition to activities conducted by consulting club, which courses at LBS help prepare a student to develop his/her consulting skills? What are the criteria to make into Summer Consulting programme and which consulting companies offer students from LBS to do shadow projects with them? (apologies for multiple questions).

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:55:20 PM)
Hello Maki, you'll be pleased to know that in addition to the Japanese firms, we also welcome DISCO international to campus. DISCO http://www.discointer.co.uk/ which organizes one of the biggest recruitment fairs for Japanese students in the world.

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:55:24 PM)
Pamil - the school will support various initiatives (i.e. summer entrepreneurial school) and VC competitions that can help to support small companies.

Linda Abraham (Oct 15, 2007 1:55:48 PM)
Linda, please feel free to chime in on Prashant's question too.

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:56:01 PM)
Hi Abhijits: I wouldn't say that having an IT background is a disadvantage. It very much depends upon what you have been doing during your time in IT. The career progression that you have experienced, the teams, projects or budgets that you have managed, your previous academic history, and of key importance is your motivations behind why an MBA now, and why London Business School. You are certainly in a competitive pool of applicants, but there is a lot more to consider than just the professional background when it comes to selection.

Joshi_Sumit (Oct 15, 2007 1:56:09 PM)
Zoe: Is the Admission Committee lenient regarding the one-page resume? If no, could you give me some pointers on how to condense my 10 years of entrepreneurial experience into a one-page resume?

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:56:39 PM)
Shinah - to make a career shift you have to work hard in understanding the benefits and limitations of your previous experience and you need to use everything available at the School to network and learn about your new area. There are lots of opportunities out there.

nikhilladdha (Oct 15, 2007 1:56:43 PM)
David Morris: I wish to know more as I want to start a sports management company of my own.

Brian H. (Oct 15, 2007 1:56:54 PM)
David Simpson: Would you smile more on an on-campus visit by this Yankee or would my effort to attend an info session on one of the coasts be just as appreciated on your end? - Brian H. (Utah) (I know I would benefit most from an on-campus visit, but timing may prevent it.)

Archan (Oct 15, 2007 1:57:27 PM)
Thanks Diane, your information was good to know.

Shinah (Oct 15, 2007 1:57:32 PM)
Thanks Rajat, Wish you all the very best and hope you make the most of your stay there :)

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:57:39 PM)
Nikhilladdha - we do have a Management in Sport club which hosts speakers and panel events for students who wish to go into Sports management.

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:57:47 PM)
Prashant, most strategic consultancies are looking for good raw materials, but you do need to demonstrate a good knowledge of general management and business acumen. At LBS, most people find that the Strategy and Marketing courses are particularly useful to prepare for a career in consulting.

praveen (Oct 15, 2007 1:58:17 PM)
Thanks Diane.

neo (Oct 15, 2007 1:58:29 PM)
Linda: when do we decide on 15/20 month program? What are the factors for considering them?

JOI (Oct 15, 2007 1:58:47 PM)
Diane: Does LBS help find jobs for students during the Summer break?

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:58:50 PM)
Prashant, with regards to summer consulting team, it's a team of 5 to 6 students selected by the faculty and career services using the same criteria that consultancies would select their associates.

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:58:53 PM)
Gaurav: Well, I was really on a European MBA and particularly an MBA from LBS for several reasons. Firstly, I am drawn by the international student body at London Business School. Secondly, I was excited by the prospect of going to business school in London - a major hub for business activity. Finally, my partner could work and develop her career while I was at School.

gaurav puri (Oct 15, 2007 1:59:06 PM)
Rajat, but all these factors that you spoke about London, are also present in USA, so what made you choose LBS over any Big US B SCHOOL?

Joshi_Sumit (Oct 15, 2007 1:59:11 PM)
Thank you all so much for your time! Much appreciated!

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:59:30 PM)
Brian - we completely understand the limitations of location and busy work schedules, so go to a local event - that's why we have them. Also, make reference to having taken part in this evening's event - we like to see evidence of any kind of research. If you do apply and make it through to get an offer - come and see us at Admit Weekend.

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 1:59:41 PM)
Prashant - besides the core courses such as strategy, finance, marketing and accounting, the Consulting club on campus also sponsors a number of different consulting 'competition' type of events throughout the year. They're typically organized by a consulting firm such as AT Kearny or LEK-- and they test student teams' ability to tackle real-life consulting project problems. These events can be a great entry to summer consulting opportunities and give a taste of what the consulting profession is like.

Hamid (Oct 15, 2007 1:59:54 PM)
David, how would LBS consider someone without a BS with 8 years of experience for MBA?

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:00:19 PM)
Hi Jo: There can be many reasons behind why a candidate may not have performed as well as they would have liked at undergrad. You should attempt to explain why this happened in the application and why it is not a good predictor for your future possible performance. The AdComs will certainly take more note of your GMAT score in these circumstances, so a good GMAT is useful (it is also a more recent indicator). It's not the end of the world to have a poor GPA, but you need to convince the AdComs that this was a blip, and that you have what it takes to complete the 2 years of your MBA.

Duncan_Hart (Oct 15, 2007 2:00:28 PM)
Zoe: Would a Civil Service background be seen as a negative by AdCom when compared with those coming from a purely business arena?

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:00:29 PM)
Neo, you don't have to decide before the summer term of the first year or even before you select electives for second year. The major reasons I have seen people go on fast track (15 or 18 months) are 1) going back to previous employer 2) starting new business ventures 3) start earning soon.

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:00:37 PM)
William, if you have employment gaps - simply tell us why - there are places in the application form to do so.

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:00:38 PM)
William: I don't think we have a lacrosse club yet, but I can assure you that if you are interested, you can definitely start one when you come here!

nikhil1306 (Oct 15, 2007 2:00:51 PM)
Rajat: . How many students on an average sit for an elective class and what is the process for choosing an elective, since some electives are going to be more popular than the others?

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:00:55 PM)
Dear Joi, you'll find that much of your time first year is dedicated to building up your skills through training and workshops delivered by the clubs, Career Services, and faculty. Summer internship recruitment and postings start in January of each year and activities are designed to help you be successful in a summer internship, full-time position and beyond. We consider the internship experience crucial to the MBA and support each student through training, sourcing opportunities and coaching.

Ritu (Oct 15, 2007 2:01:09 PM)
David Simpson: How much international experience is normally required for applying at LBS? I'm from India and have 6 months work ex in US, would you say that is less for applying at LBS?

4Uvak (Oct 15, 2007 2:01:27 PM)
Diane: What are some of the companies in Russia that LBS has contacts with? Any in Ukraine?

pavan (Oct 15, 2007 2:01:41 PM)
Louise: Does LBS have courses related to non-profit management in the Full Time MBA curriculum?

Diana (Oct 15, 2007 2:02:44 PM)
Linda: Is it possible to work part-time during the study

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:02:53 PM)
Nikhil1306: On Average, there are close to 50-60 students for each elective. Some popular electives have more than one session during a semester.

chidi (Oct 15, 2007 2:02:56 PM)
Hi Zoe; I had the opportunity to visit LBS and in a week there were about 3 different social events; Why the emphasis of student events, explain the strategy apart from interactions.

Rishi (Oct 15, 2007 2:03:10 PM)
Rajat, given the current economic condition and the recent terror attacks does it negatively have an impact on getting work permit and job within UK? Also, does LBS attract recruiters from USA?

JOI (Oct 15, 2007 2:03:23 PM)
Grace: I want to know if there is an age limit for students at LBS and if also there is a maximum or minimum work experience required. I am 39 and have about 11 years work experience cutting across banking, project accounting and accounting IT software administration.

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:03:45 PM)
Dear 4Uvak, We have been working with a couple of companies in Russia, Jones Lang Lasalle, Troika, and Arcelor Mittal to give you a few examples. We find that the Russian language is also desirable from some of the banks and finance companies as well.

AAA (Oct 15, 2007 2:04:09 PM)
Thanks Diane. That answers my question.

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:04:31 PM)
Diana, quite a few of my classmates including myself are doing part time at the moment, either with the companies they interned with during the summer or directly through the opportunities they found at the school's career services. But part time in the first year is almost impossible as I spent every day at school so it's strongly not recommended by the school.

AmyB (Oct 15, 2007 2:04:40 PM)
Diane: I would like to start a financial advisory firm in Asia in the long term, how can an LBS MBA help in terms of coursework in Entrepreneurship and networking for venture capital, since the venture will be in Asia?

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:05:00 PM)
Joshi_sumit: When you arrive on campus as a student you will very soon be asked to condense your CV into one page by our Career Services team as this is what is requested by the recruiters. This is just getting you prepared for life on the MBA! It may be difficult at first, but you need to really focus on the key elements and achievements within this time, giving more prominence to more recent developments.

William (Oct 15, 2007 2:05:23 PM)
Thank you David and Rajat!

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:05:25 PM)
Hamid, we do consider applications without an undergrad - but you have to work even harder to show us that you'd be a good prospect. You'll need to do well in GMAT to show us that you can cope with the tough academics.

AAA (Oct 15, 2007 2:05:26 PM)
It was truly informative. Thank you all of you there - those asking questions and all those answering them with their utmost sincerity

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:05:50 PM)
JOI - There isn't an age limit for students. (See earlier answer from David and Zoe.) My recommendation to prospective students is to have significant business experience under your belt or else you will miss the nuances of teachings in business school. Without sufficient experience, you may miss out on the importance of certain soft topics or how they can be applied. Plus, you won't be able to make as much of a contribution to your study group.

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:05:58 PM)
Rishi: Most firms recruiting on campus have global placements. Regarding work permits, I haven't yet heard of a case where someone from School was not given a work permit - especially considering that most LBS students are eligible for the Highly Skilled Migrants Program (HSMP).

Pranay Das (Oct 15, 2007 2:06:18 PM)
Zoe, I am very keen on making a trip to London to visit LBS around the same time that I apply this year. What are the things one should expect to get out of this visit? Will I be able to meet some of the teaching faculty?

neo (Oct 15, 2007 2:06:23 PM)
Thanks Linda, all this info flow is awesome!

William (Oct 15, 2007 2:06:46 PM)
David Simpson: What is the percentage of a typical MBA class that finish in 15 months?

Prashant (Oct 15, 2007 2:06:53 PM)
Thanks very much, Linda and Grace. Appreciate your help. Regards, Prashant

tim (Oct 15, 2007 2:06:58 PM)
Diane: Are there many companies recruiting for brand management? And would a 4 years business analyst (transportation) exp be too drastic a shift for that?

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:07:20 PM)
Ritu - there is no REQUIREMENT for international experience. However, you may want to focus on the period you spent in the US and how it has added to your overall experience.

Linda Abraham (Oct 15, 2007 2:07:43 PM)
David: If an applicant doesn't have access to an official transcript, what should that applicant do? Can they send in a photocopy of what they have?

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:07:59 PM)
Hi AmyB, where will you be based in Asia? We have a lot of alumni and contacts throughout the world but it depends where you will be based. For discussion purposes I'll assume that it is Hong Kong since that is a financial hub. The first year MBA students will be career trekking out to Hong Kong in December meeting with companies and alumni and already starting to build their personal networks. About 11% of students start their careers in Asia post graduation

Hamid (Oct 15, 2007 2:08:08 PM)
Louise: What are some of the companies in IT that LBS is working with, especially in UK?

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:08:42 PM)
Chidi: No real strategy here I guess. This is just what it is like on campus. The student body is a very active bunch - we try and recruit them that way - so there's a constant stream of conferences, club trips, parties, professional interest groups and guest speakers. There's never a dull moment.

Captain Molecule (Oct 15, 2007 2:08:54 PM)
Rajat, can you tell me what the election surveys for the clubs contain? Also is there a specific position every club has for first year students? And are the first year students also allowed/encouraged to participate in the elections?

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:09:07 PM)
Pavan - all core courses and electives will have relevance to both profit and not-for-profit sectors. We tend to think that you need to build certain core skills to operate in any sector, rather than studying in just one context.

Nia (Oct 15, 2007 2:09:12 PM)
Grace: Is there any competition for Entrepreneur club or Management club in LBS which can help get summer internships?

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:09:13 PM)
Hamid - we are working with Microsoft, Infosys, Cisco, IBM, Oracle, Cisco etc.

vish (Oct 15, 2007 2:09:34 PM)
David Morris: Can you tell me little bit about how career services operate?

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:09:48 PM)
Linda - we will need original transcripts sent in eventually in order to complete administration on an offer of a place on the MBA.

cdeneo (Oct 15, 2007 2:10:02 PM)
Zoe: Are there any disadvantages for applying in round 3 vs round 2 for candidates with common profiles (engineers, consultants, etc). From what I have read, many candidates with such common profiles might be accepted in rounds 1 and 2 and thus making it so much harder to get acceptance in round 3. Is that accurate?

George (Oct 15, 2007 2:10:24 PM)
David Simpson: How focused does one need to be for their longer term career objectives? Is it acceptable to argue that you may want a career switch in the longer run but in the shorter term would just like to advance in your current industry?

olegpolyntsev (Oct 15, 2007 2:10:43 PM)
David Morris: Has the school been working with industrial companies doing business in Russia? What are the chances to be recruited in the industrial sector in Russia?

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:10:55 PM)
Hello Tim, we have a few companies recruiting for brand management, such as L'Oreal, LVMH, Johnson & Johnson and American Express. Brand management includes an incredible amount of analysis so your analyst experience might come in very handy! Most students switching into brand quickly get involved not only in attending marketing club events but planning them and the executive committee of the marketing club are successful at transitioning into the field. We find most of our students that go into brand are career switching so you will have plenty of advice from those who have come before you.

Aditya (Oct 15, 2007 2:11:41 PM)
Linda: Is it a good idea to visit the college during weekends? I am in Zurich and working full time ... if it is difficult to manage on the weekdays ... how fruitful it would be to visit on weekends ?

Ritu (Oct 15, 2007 2:11:49 PM)
Diane: As I'm interested in business consulting, which are the consulting firms that recruit from LBS? Where do they usually place the students?

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:12:20 PM)
Vish - Career Services have a team of 20 professionals. The team will focus on external companies with teams conducting business development across consulting, finance, and global industry. There is a team focusing on working with coaching students and running work shops on CV writing, networking skills, and career strategy advice.

cdeneo (Oct 15, 2007 2:12:21 PM)
Thanks Linda and folks from LBS for hosting such a wonderful session.

AmyB (Oct 15, 2007 2:13:10 PM)
Hi Diane...thank you for your reply, I will be based out of India.

RajatMaakerLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:13:24 PM)
CaptainMolecule: Most election club elections surveys simply ask you to vote for your preferred candidates. Different clubs have different positions for 1st-years - but basically once elected you act as a member of the club's executive. All responsibilities are then divided between the club's executives based on interests.

4Uvak (Oct 15, 2007 2:13:32 PM)
David Morris:. I started a small business in Ukraine after my Peace Corps service there. Are there any resources at LBS, that would be particularly useful if I am interested in software development entrepreneurship in the former Soviet Union post-MBA? Can you tell more about the Summer Entrepreneurship School and VC competitions?

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:13:35 PM)
Olegpolyntsev - we are working with companies looking to hire people into Russia such as Jones Lang LaSalle, Arsetor Mittal, and some regional consulting firms.

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:13:49 PM)
Aditya, you're welcome to visit LBS on weekends! There are people and classes on campus every day, although most classes on weekends are electives or executive MBA courses so it might be difficult to organize an audit. If you do have problem with visiting on weekdays, please feel free to let the Admission office know, and I'm sure we can sort something out for you.

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:14:02 PM)
George, that sounds like a perfectly acceptable answer. We hope to attract career advancers as well as career changers. Also, what you plan to do before arriving at the School and seeing the opportunities for yourself, is likely to be changed substantially.

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:14:04 PM)
PranayDas: You have a few options. Firstly you could try and co-incide your trip to take in an on-campus information session. The next session is on 12 November, 6.30-9pm. These sessions include an overview of the school and MBA programme and involve a student and alumni panel. This session also includes a faculty presentation by Prof. Nader Tavassoli. Alternatively, on any Monday or Friday at 3pm you can drop-into the MBA Office and meet with an admissions officer and MBA student. No need to pre-register for these drop-ins, just come to School reception at around 2.50pm. Finally, you could always just come in and wander around campus. There are always plenty of students around to speak with. Just introduce yourself as a prospective MBA and you will find lots of people happy to talk to you.

Prashant (Oct 15, 2007 2:14:07 PM)
Rajat: In continuation to the question on HSMP. One of my friends told me that generally there is a gap of 2-3 months in completing graduation and receiving HSMP. Is this true? If yes, does this mean that students awaiting for HSMP have to wait for 2-3 months before they can join a company post-graduation?

Will (Oct 15, 2007 2:14:23 PM)
Zoe: I am dyslexic. Whilst I would not expect to be treated any differently from any other student I have concerns about GMAT not giving an accurate picture of my abilities. (I have not yet taken the test) Any views?

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:14:35 PM)
Hello Ritu, you will find that all of the major consulting firms recruit at London Business School - the big strategy houses: McKinsey, Bain, BCG, BAH as well as boutique consulting firms such as OC&C, PRTM and everywhere in between - Deloitte, Markan, Accenture. There is a fantastic consulting club on campus and they work tirelessly to get students up to speed through crack a case training sessions and educating students throughout the year.

Sanat (Oct 15, 2007 2:14:57 PM)
David Simpson: Hi just wanted to figure out as to how long one should wait after the first application deadline to find out if one has been selected for an interview?

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:15:23 PM)
Nia - there isn't a 'Management' club on campus at the moment, so I'll focus your question on the entrepreneurship club. Summer internships in entrepreneurship fields (e.g. start-ups) are typically difficult to come by, but there are several different events on campus each year that can help provide you exposure to the start-up and venture capital communities. Developing Entrep Opportunities is a new core course for all 1st years. Over the course, you and your team will develop a new business idea and then pitch the idea to numerous experienced entrep's and VC funds at the end of the course. There is also a New Ventures competition on campus each year where student teams evaluate new business ideas as "VC's". It gives great opportunity to network with current VC's and gain understanding about the industry for an internship.

William (Oct 15, 2007 2:15:28 PM)
Diane: Are there any stats which really slice down Investment Banking placement further than the 23% on the 2006 employment report? I am curious how many students aspire to work in Trading/Sales and actually land a job in that particular function at an I-bank.

Uday (Oct 15, 2007 2:16:06 PM)
Linda: Is there is a student contact provision wherein we can talk to a student ambassador?

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:16:09 PM)
Sanat - the dates are up on the website. 16 November for Stage 1.

Nia (Oct 15, 2007 2:16:29 PM)
My special thanks to everyone for patiently answering our questions. Grace I owe a special thanks to you for answering all my questions.

Frankie (Oct 15, 2007 2:16:35 PM)
Thanks Linda and LBS team for hosting an informative session!!

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:16:51 PM)
Uday, you can find all student ambassadors' contacts on LBS website and you're welcome to email us!

Hamid (Oct 15, 2007 2:17:03 PM)
Grace & Linda: Do you suggest any preparation prior joining LBS in such cases (no undergrad, heavily technical in IT, etc.)?

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:17:22 PM)
Prashant - I am afraid I do not know enough about HSMP to comment on that. I do know that those who plan to finish earlier apply for the HSMP application much before others.

neo (Oct 15, 2007 2:17:30 PM)
David Simpson: What is London Business School looking for in the topic " any other info"? Can it include personal experiences outside one's workplace as well?

nikhil1306 (Oct 15, 2007 2:17:42 PM)
Hi David Simpson. Following on Linda's question on the transcript, would the Adcom accept a notaries transcript and process the application, or would the application be considered without an attested transcript?

Nia (Oct 15, 2007 2:17:59 PM)
Linda, Grace or Rajat: Is there a website for brand management cub?

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:18:43 PM)
Hi William, the division of roles within IB are usually broken down into Corporate Finance and Sales & Trading. It really depends on the bank and what areas they are recruiting for. For summer internships, all banks will recruit for all divisions. From each year you will find student interests may vary as well so some years mores students go into Corp Finance and other years more into S&T.

ZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:19:11 PM)
Will: Hi, I would advise contacting GMAC who run the GMAT test - their website is www.mba.com. It may be that they have some arrangements in place for this situation. You should certainly mention this in any application you make to the MBA programme. There is a section on this within the application, which is confidential to the Disability Support Officer.

Pranay Das (Oct 15, 2007 2:19:55 PM)
Zoe: Following from George's question, how many students actually change their career goals while at the school? Enter intending one thing, but the experience at LBS makes them exit thinking another...

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:20:02 PM)
Nia, both Marketing club and Industry club provide opportunities and networking in brand management. Unfortunately they don't have a website for external parties.

pavan (Oct 15, 2007 2:20:13 PM)
Thanks David Morris. I asked the question related to Non-profit Management courses as I am interested in starting a non-profit consulting in India in the long term and am looking at commercial consulting experience as the Launch Pad. I was wondering if LBS would encourage/support such a transition both through its culture and its curriculum.

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:20:37 PM)
William, last year 31% completed in 18 months or less. This figure may change this year. It is the option to choose the pace of your MBA and have the flexibility during your studies that is the real benefit. Many students who think they want to complete early actually go on to spend the full 21 months here. It's a hard place to leave once you get here!

Mirth (Oct 15, 2007 2:20:51 PM)
Is there any chance to repeat such session during the next round or so?

Aditya (Oct 15, 2007 2:21:07 PM)
Thank you all for answering the queries.

Prashant (Oct 15, 2007 2:22:02 PM)
OK, thank-you, Rajat.

romit_z (Oct 15, 2007 2:22:25 PM)
Hi Grace /Linda could you share some key activities of the Responsible Business Club at the school?

Will (Oct 15, 2007 2:22:31 PM)
Thanks Zoe.

DianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:22:38 PM)
Hi Shinah, we work with a lot of the technology companies on many different levels - they recruit MBAs, sponsor students on executive MBA programmes as well as send aspiring leaders to courses to short term non degree executive education. For recruitment the best place to see our partners is in the employment report at: http://www.london.edu/assets/documents/PDF/CS_MBA_2006_Employment_Report_030107.pdf

Nia (Oct 15, 2007 2:22:41 PM)
Grace: As most of the candidates, I am also from IT background with a 740 GMAT score. I am worried that I'll just fall into the same boring track. How can I differentiate myself. I really want to be a part of LBS family.

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:22:44 PM)
4Uvak - please find enclosed a link for the Summer Entrepreneurial School - www.london.edu/entrepreneurship/summerschool.html

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:22:46 PM)
Hamid - Business encompasses such a broad range of interests, functions and industries. I'm still amazed by all the different ways of making profits in the business world. Because an MBA is such a big investment of your time and finances, I'd encourage you to explore the business world a bit more before embarking on an MBA. This will help you in assessing your priorities and passions before getting on the whirlwind b-school experience. I believe the best way to explore the business world is just to talk to lots of different people...whenever you meet someone, always ask them what they do in their work. What tasks are they really engaged in on a daily basis and what is at the core of their business (i.e., how do they make revenue or provide value to their firm)? You'll be amazed at all the different types of professional roles and it will open your world to the opportunities available post MBA. I really encourage you to learn more about business by also reading the FT or the WSJ.com each day. 

Sanat (Oct 15, 2007 2:22:56 PM)
David Simpson: I've heard that when you shortlist candidates based on GMAT, there is always a country cut-off....is that a myth or is that for real? For example, the cut-off from India is pretty high, is what I'm told.

Rachel (Oct 15, 2007 2:23:01 PM)
The next London Business School chat is scheduled for December 12 at the same time as today's chat.

achin (Oct 15, 2007 2:23:03 PM)
Thanks for such an informative session !!!

LindaCaiLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:23:19 PM)
Pavan, the Responsible Business Club and Net Impact both are very active at LBS and more and more students get involved. This April LBS held the first Responsible Business Conference which was highly successful.

gaurav puri (Oct 15, 2007 2:23:31 PM)
Louise: Following from Pranay's question, is it bad to go for a career change after an MBA? Does it show lack of focus on the part of an applicant while applying for a job?

mustafa (Oct 15, 2007 2:24:08 PM)
David Morris: What is the average age of students in the 2009 class and can you tell me more about international business studies at LBS?

Linda Abraham (Oct 15, 2007 2:24:32 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to David, Zoe, Diane, David Morries, Louise, Alison, Linda, Grace, and Rajat for answering all these questions.

GraceMLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:25:02 PM)
For more details on student life and experience: http://mbablog.london.edu/mbablog/

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:25:52 PM)
mustafa - 23 - 39 years, this will vary each year. You will have an opportunity of going on exchange to an international school during the 2nd Year of the MBA.

DianeMorganLondonDianeMorganLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:25:55 PM)
Goodbye everyone! A pleasure to meet you on this chat! All the best to you for the future and we hope it involves London Business School!

nikhil1306 (Oct 15, 2007 2:26:01 PM)
Thanks everyone. That was a very informative session.

DavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:26:01 PM)
Joanna, it is very hard to define what a non traditional applicant is for us here at London Business School - we see such diversity! Your experience sounds very interesting - highlight what you think makes you unique and what you think other students would be interested in.

Mirta (Oct 15, 2007 2:26:02 PM)
Thanks everyone for informative questions and answers. Hope we meet at LBS :D Bye

LouiseWeirLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:26:09 PM)
Hi Gaurav- As answered in my above questions, a career change is a frequent decision made by lots of our students- the MBA course can be seen as a two year opportunity to hone your talents and decide on you career path. It will not be seen as a lack of focus and again, we have Career Coaches in Career Services to help you with your strategy during your course and until you find your first permanent position.

AmyB (Oct 15, 2007 2:26:09 PM)
Thank you all. Please post this chat as soon as possible -- the R1 deadline is in a few days from now.

DavidSimpsonLondonDavidSimpsonLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:26:27 PM)
Thank you everyone. I look forward to reading your applications in due course!

DavidMorrisLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:26:28 PM)
Nice talking to you all and hope to see you at the school in the future.

anitha (Oct 15, 2007 2:26:35 PM)
Hey. I plan to visit LBS this December. Is it possible to attend 1 or 2 classes of interest?

LouiseWeirLondonLouiseWeirLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:26:43 PM)
Goodbye everyone and a big thank you!

Shinah (Oct 15, 2007 2:26:48 PM)
Thank you all!! Appreciate the effort and patience put in by each member/associate of LBS in helping the prospective ones :-)!!

ZoeMcloughlinLondonZoeMcloughlinLondon (Oct 15, 2007 2:27:35 PM)
PranayDas: That's difficult to put an exact figure on. Based on anecdotal evidence this happens a lot. It is quite common for our students to come in wanting to pursue a particular post-MBA career and then - depending upon their experience of the summer internship, new network of friends/colleagues that they change direction mid-course. This is of course one of the advantages of a two-year programme in that you still have time to re-focus following the summer internship.

pavan (Oct 15, 2007 2:27:42 PM)
Thanks much to Linda and Adcoms and Students at LBS. It was great talking to you all.

gaurav puri (Oct 15, 2007 2:27:52 PM)
Thanks a lot Louise and a big thanks to everybody for giving your invaluable time and patience. You all have done a great job.

Shinah (Oct 15, 2007 2:28:15 PM)
Hope to see you soon :-)!!

Linda AbrahamLinda Abraham (Oct 15, 2007 2:28:57 PM)
Good luck with your applications!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room