2008 Consortium MBA Admissions Chat with Jackie Olden

2008 Consortium MBA Admissions Chat with Jackie Olden

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending an e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2007 7:54:32 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com’s Consortium Chat.  I also want to welcome our special guests for this evening. Please hold your applause until I introduce all panelists. ;-)

• Jackie M. Olden Director of Recruiting Consortium for Graduate Study in Management
  • Rebecca Smith Recruiting Manager Consortium for Graduate Study in Management
  • Veronica Ho Associate Director Marshall School of Business at USC
  • Jim Hayes Senior Associate Director of Admissions Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan
  • Betsy Kacizak Director of MBA Admissions and Financial Aid University of Wisconsin-Madison Wisconsin School of Business
  • Camille Clemons Assistant Director of MBA Admissions Goizueta School of Business at Emory University
  • Jacqueline Thomas-Bell Associate Director of Admissions/ Director of Early Leaders Program Simon Graduate School of Business University of Rochester
  • Chris Gaeta Senior Associate Director of Admissions NYU Stern

Unfortunately, Tuck's and Kelley's representatives are unable to attend this evening.  Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2007 7:56:56 PM)
This is your chance to ask questions about the Consortium and the guest schools' program and admissions policies. But I would like to take advantage of my position as host and ask the first question: What should applicants be doing now to prepare themselves to apply this year? Jackie what should they be doing to participate in the Consortium process?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 7:57:53 PM)
Attend as many diversity weekends as you can.

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 7:58:28 PM)
Continue to research schools - visit websites, contact current students if possible, visit if possible.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 7:58:37 PM)
Linda- The Consortium's first deadline is fast approaching. Anyone interested should have created an application account, sent out the recommendation requests, set up the interview appointment, and looked for a GMAT test date.

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 7:58:38 PM)
Attend as many of the diversity weekends as possible. There is a great deal of introspection involved to be successful in the application process, so think through your career goals and how the MBA fits.

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 7:58:39 PM)
Do your research on the schools and understand why you need or want an MBA. If you are applying for this year, start early. Work on essays, contact your recommenders, call your undergraduate school for transcripts.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 7:58:57 PM)
Cultivate and work hard on essays, clarify your goals, be concise and clear.

Miche'La (Nov 13, 2007 7:59:26 PM)
Jackie: Should Recruiting Representatives be our primary resource for questions not answered by the school’s web-site? I have placed several calls, and sent a few emails, to a RR and have not received a response to my inquiries.

Andre Llewellyn (Nov 13, 2007 7:59:34 PM)
Is there any truth to the perception that most Consortium schools will not consider most applicants if they are ranked 2nd in the applicant’s preference?

Miche'La (Nov 13, 2007 7:59:58 PM)
What information is included/requested in the link that we send those that are fulfilling our letters of recommendation? Are the links for references 1&2 exactly the same or are they asked to address different questions?

marvel (Nov 13, 2007 8:00:07 PM)
Hi. I am living and working abroad and I do not have access to diversity weekends. Is there any other way to get involved in the Consortium process?

corey (Nov 13, 2007 8:00:23 PM)
I thought Consortium interviews were invites only.

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:00:42 PM)
Hello Andre-- no, that is not true. Schools look at an applicant first based upon admissions criteria for the school itself and then look to Consortium fellowship consideration

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:00:43 PM)
Miche'la- yes, the school reps should be your primary source. You can also take advantage of the student liaisons. You can find their email addresses on our website.

Miche'La (Nov 13, 2007 8:00:48 PM)
One Recruiting Representative seemed to think that it is important to do in-person interviews with all of my top choice schools. This is contrary to the Consortium’s instructions. Am I at a disadvantage if I don’t interview with all schools that are part of my application?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:01:00 PM)
Miche'La- The forms for recommender 1 and 2 are four questions long, very easy questions. Recommender 3 is one question long, and asks your recommender about your actions in support of The Consortium's mission.

Wole M. Fayemi (Nov 13, 2007 8:01:28 PM)
What is the relationship between the sponsoring companies relative to the various MBA programs? Are there specific companies tied to specific school programs or are they just involved in the recruiting process for summer internships and jobs after year 2? If one receives a fellowship, are you required to go work with one of the sponsoring companies?

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:01:33 PM)
Andre Llewellyn: No, I don't think that's true. Most applicants list several schools, and we know you must rank them. We look for strong applicants and will give consideration to all applicants who list our school.

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:01:49 PM)
Corey, Consortium interviews are a part of the application process. You will need to be proactive and contact a school representative or an alumni of the Consortium to set up your interview. A list of designated interviewers are listed on the Consortium web site. Interviews must be complete and submitted on or before the deadline in which you are applying.

J.T.3. (Nov 13, 2007 8:01:55 PM)
Rebecca: How would you describe the Consortium interview process? Is it more "fit" in nature, or can it be more "behavioral-based"? Or, does it just depend on the University itself? Thank you-Juan T.

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:01:56 PM)
Marvel, living and working abroad poses a problem in term of the diversity weekends, but there are a variety of other ways to get involved in the Consortium process. Reach out to current Consortium students and also alumni to explore what the most important factors were for them in deciding where to apply, how to rank, and where to enroll.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:01:58 PM)
Miche'La-The Consortium interview is separate from the actual school interview. You need to check with each school to identify their particular interview policies.

Alex (Nov 13, 2007 8:02:06 PM)
Beyond Diversity Weekends, how should our relationship with the Consortium develop before the application deadline?

Adriana_Solorzano (Nov 13, 2007 8:02:12 PM)
Is attendance at a diversity weekend weighed more heavily than attendance at a general prospective student event when evaluating an applicant?

tz (Nov 13, 2007 8:02:30 PM)
Does the selectivity of applicants (by the admissions office) diminish for Part-time/executive MBA program compared to the full-time program?

fp1982 (Nov 13, 2007 8:02:40 PM)
What types of questions will be asked during the Consortium interview and what is the best way to prepare yourself for the interview?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:02:43 PM)
Wole- Almost 80 companies provide financial support to our organization. While the majority of them are eager to hire our students, you are NEVER required to work for any of them if you don't want to.

james bond (Nov 13, 2007 8:03:04 PM)
Betsy, what aspect of the UW-Madison admission process/criteria is most/least important?

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:03:07 PM)
Alex, there are typically many Consortium information sessions that are offered throughout the year-- this is a good opportunity to meet with school reps, Consortium reps, and alumni.

gino82 (Nov 13, 2007 8:03:25 PM)
Jim Hayes: What types of improvements does Ross like to see from reapplicants?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:03:25 PM)
TZ- the Consortium students attend the full time MBA programs only.

Alex_S (Nov 13, 2007 8:03:30 PM)
Do we have to commit to a Consortium school before the fellowships are awarded in April?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:03:41 PM)
Adriana-Attending different weekends is a great way to understand the programs. Whether diversity or regular, the important thing is that you have a personal experience with the school.

EG3 (Nov 13, 2007 8:03:46 PM)
Will the Consortium interview also satisfy any school specific interviews required for admission? Or, are they completely different?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:04:15 PM)
EG3-You need to check with the actual school, every policy is a bit different.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:04:18 PM)
Alex- Fellowship offers are made in mid-March, and responses are due in mid-April. That should give you time to weigh your options and make a sound choice.

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:04:24 PM)
fp1982: Most will ask about your career goals, reasons for wanting an MBA, why that school, challenges, successes, etc. It can be similar to a job interview but for an MBA.

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:04:32 PM)
fp1982, you should approach the interview just like a job interview. Be prepared to talk about the representations on your resume and behavioral support for the assertions. The questions are not designed to stump you, and anything discussed should be topics about which you should be prepared through your professional and life experiences.

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:04:35 PM)
Jackie, Can I have two interviews in my Consortium application?

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:04:49 PM)
James Bond, at Wisconsin we look at fit with you, your career goals and the program. Essays are key and will help us better understand your fit. Of course your academic ability is also important, but that can be measured through your undergraduate record and GMAT. Career focus is most important. Transferable skills can be best be shown through your resume and past work experiences.

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:04:54 PM)
J.T.3-- The type of interview can vary from school to school or even interviewer to interviewer-- you should be prepared to best address why you would like to do an MBA, your talents, and your work/education history and fit for an MBA program and then you should be well-prepared for all types of interviews.

MBA '08 (Nov 13, 2007 8:05:02 PM)
Jackie: I recently interviewed with a Consortium school, but my profile has not been updated accordingly. Should I reach out to The Consortium or directly to the school?

jedi331 (Nov 13, 2007 8:05:13 PM)
Will we have, essentially, two notification dates to keep in mind (one for the Consortium and one for our school)? I noticed that they are not the same. In other words, I'd like to know when I can say, "I'm in!"

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:05:35 PM)
Yeny- Only one interview evaluation can be submitted to your Consortium application. However, you are welcome to interview at several schools. Notes from those additional interviews will only be available to that school.

debs (Nov 13, 2007 8:05:41 PM)
What is a good example of how you show commitment to the Consortium's mission?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:06:45 PM)
MBA 08-you should provide your applicant ID to your interviewer. When the form is uploaded to your application you should see it in your profile. If not, follow up with your interviewer.

P. Lewis (Nov 13, 2007 8:06:52 PM)
What percentage of applicants are accepted? Of those, how many are awarded fellowships?

corey (Nov 13, 2007 8:06:59 PM)
How is the selection process for a person with a weak GPA and a great GMAT score?

AGupta (Nov 13, 2007 8:07:05 PM)
Jim: I'm in Marvel's position, working and living abroad for the last year and a half. I have a Consortium interview with Ross fast approaching. What should I be doing to prepare for the interview?

Anon (Nov 13, 2007 8:07:17 PM)
Can you explain how the deadlines work? If a school has a second round deadline prior to Jan. 5th will Consortium applications be considered part of the second round or a later round.

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:07:27 PM)
gino82, you should have received feedback and be prepared to address whatever the concerns were. If it was the GMAT, then you should have retaken the test and reported a higher score. If it was some aspect of your essays, then you should re-write all of them with an eye to addressing whatever the concerns were. Obviously, this all will be easier if you got the feedback on the original application but we have a pretty good experience with reapplicants.

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:07:34 PM)
PLewis- 60% of the applicants are admitted to at least one member school.

yengr (Nov 13, 2007 8:07:35 PM)
Veronica, does USC do a separate interview from the Consortium interview?

Angelica (Nov 13, 2007 8:07:51 PM)
Greetings, which part of the Consortium application has the strongest impact in our evaluation?

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:07:57 PM)
Debs, your past and current experience are the best example. You may be involved in a specific organization that shows commitment to the Consortium, this would be a good thing to write about. But you might also have examples that are less specific like things you might do at work or in your community. It could also be how you have lived your life that shows a commitment to the mission.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:08:41 PM)
Corey-The Admissions process is very holistic, many factors go into the decision.....GMAT, GPA, work experience, letters of rec, commitment to the mission and school. Essentially, put your best efforts forth in the admissions process, there really is no magic formula.

Reggie (Nov 13, 2007 8:08:52 PM)
Is there a specific reason an additional/supplemental application is required at some of the Consortium schools and not others (i.e. UNC)?

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:09:03 PM)
yengr: No, USC does not do a separate interview.  You only need to do one CGSM interview. We do not have another optional interview with USC.

Andre Llewellyn (Nov 13, 2007 8:09:03 PM)
Chris (NYU) - Is there any way to request an interview or are they strictly "by invitation only"?

gino82 (Nov 13, 2007 8:09:16 PM)
Camille: I am interested in going into Consulting Post-MBA and I was curious about the Emory presence at companies such as Bain, Mckinsey, Mercer and BCG? Exactly what is Emory known for?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:09:30 PM)
PLewis- about 33% of the total pool receives fellowship offers.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:09:35 PM)
Andre-For NYU, ours is by invitation only.

LRamon (Nov 13, 2007 8:09:36 PM)
I already took the GMAT but I want to retake it, but I can't retake it before Nov 15. Can I still submit my application with unofficial GMAT scores?

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:09:47 PM)
Can I apply to Forte and at the Consortium at the same time? If I can, how do I do it? If Forte usually takes the application from the main application and not the Consortium one?

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:09:54 PM)
Angelica... it really depends on what each school is looking for, but typically all areas are very important and you have the opportunity to balance out an area that you may find to be a weaker area with another area that you may excel in.  For Consortium applicants, a commitment to the mission is also central.

Alex_S (Nov 13, 2007 8:09:55 PM)
Thanks. When should I expect admission decisions if I submit my application by Dec 1st?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:10:25 PM)
LRamon-Yes, but let us know when you have re-scheduled for so we can anticipate receiving the official scores.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:10:26 PM)
Reggie- It's difficult to cover the requests for 13 different entities in a single application. Each school has to make sure everything they need to make the best decision possible, so sometimes they need a little extra.

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:10:31 PM)
Reggie, yes there is a specific reason. UNC has a state requirement. For specifics you may want to contact a UNC representative. UNC is still a part of the Consortium and is part of the membership and fellowship process. All other schools will use the common application.

Roy1 (Nov 13, 2007 8:10:36 PM)
If you have taken the GMAT, but plan to take it again after the 1st round application date. Will the Consortium accept a GMAT score that comes after the date of the round the applicant applied in?

corey (Nov 13, 2007 8:10:43 PM)
What are the other benefits of the Consortium fellowship besides getting a MBA paid?

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:10:51 PM)
AGupta, you should thoroughly research all the schools you are interested in and be prepared to tie in the MBA with the achievement of your career goals. And practice interviewing beforehand. You are probably getting lots of questions from friends and family about why you want an MBA anyway, so use these discussions as an opportunity to sharpen your message.

Toni (Nov 13, 2007 8:10:59 PM)
The application states a GMAT deadline as "GMAT taken by..." is this accurate as long as you take the GMAT by the deadline date or does the score have to be delivered from GMAT Services by the deadline date?

Diddy (Nov 13, 2007 8:11:10 PM)
I apologize if someone already asked this; but I took the GMAT in October, and I retook the test today and did much better. I have already paid for my application and completed my essays. As long as my references are complete before Dec 1, will the admissions officers be able to see my new, higher score?

Tony W (Nov 13, 2007 8:11:26 PM)
ChrisGaetaNYU: How common is it for a Consortium application to include only one school? Would this be seen as a positive or negative part of the application?

Michele O (Nov 13, 2007 8:11:40 PM)
What is the average GMAT score for Consortium students and is there a minimum score we should strive for before applying to schools?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:11:40 PM)
Toni it needs to be taken by...

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:12:13 PM)
Roy1, that is fine you are taking it again. However, if your application is complete by the first deadline, but you want to submit a new GMAT after it, you will need to let both the Consortium and all the schools you are applying to know that you are retaking it and the date of the exam. This will allow us to wait until we have all the current information.

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:12:13 PM)
Diddy: If you can, you should submit your application with the highest GMAT score. If you've already submitted it, you may want to also email the schools individually with an update on your most recent score.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:12:19 PM)
Roy1- Yes, we will take a score after the deadline. Be careful how far you put off the test date, as the schools can't make a decision without the score. To make sure the schools know a new score is coming, notify them of your test date, both directly and through the section of your Consortium application that asks for your test date.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:12:31 PM)
TonyW-I don't have stats on this, but it really is up to the individual to determine what programs best suit their needs and goals. We do receive some applications with just 1 school, it's not a negative or positive.

Angelica (Nov 13, 2007 8:12:39 PM)
Greetings, which part of the Fellowship Application has the strongest impact in our evaluation?

marvel (Nov 13, 2007 8:12:46 PM)
Stern has its 1st deadline in 11/15, but Consortium's is 12/1. Will Stern understand that Consortium applicants' deadlines are 12/1?

james bond (Nov 13, 2007 8:12:55 PM)
Betsy, how far back should my resume go - do I need to include college athletics as its been 7 yrs since college & 4 yrs since last competition . . . Regarding the essays . . . . specifically - what is being assessed - the sheer ability to write or how concisely and appropriately the questions are answered?

MBA '08 (Nov 13, 2007 8:13:11 PM)
Jackie: I am applying to UNC and have paid my application fee to the Consortium. Given that I must complete the UNC application separately, will I have to pay the school a separate application fee?

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:13:12 PM)
Corey, there are a lot of other great opportunities-- esp. to be a part of a fantastic network of alumni and partner companies in addition to the network that you will have with your MBA school... the annual Orientation Program is especially important-- if you haven't looked at the Orientation Program part of the CGSM web site make sure and take a look!

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:13:13 PM)
Michele 0, the profile of students will vary from school to school. You should visit the web sites of each school you are interested in to determine if your GMAT score fits that profile.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:13:16 PM)
Marvel-Yes, if you are applying through the Consortium, you just need to meet the Dec. 1 deadline.

mba2010 (Nov 13, 2007 8:13:17 PM)
What type of relationship should one have with the mission support recommender? Can this still come from someone I work with?

Adriana_Solorzano (Nov 13, 2007 8:13:36 PM)
My current manager can best speak/write about Rec 3----- I work for a non profit involving minority children. Therefore, should I have a former manager and a professional mentor do Recs 1 and 2? What do you suggest in this situation?

Miche'La (Nov 13, 2007 8:13:55 PM)
Clarification: I understand that some schools require an interview in addition to the Consortium interview. None of my top choice schools require a second interview, but when I contacted Recruiter, they highly suggested that I interview with all of my schools of interest. Am I at a disadvantage if I don't?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:14:09 PM)
MBA 08- you are required to pay both application fees.

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:14:15 PM)
But Jackie, if 60% are admitted, how many would get a fellowship?

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:14:37 PM)
mba2010: The mission support recommender can come from a professional recommender or someone who knows any community work you've done, your personal accomplishments, etc.

raul_pr (Nov 13, 2007 8:14:41 PM)
Are all 3 recommendations supposed to come from supervisors?

KC (Nov 13, 2007 8:14:52 PM)
Is it ok to contact more than 1 interviewer at a time to schedule an interview? I've contacted an interviewer but still haven't gotten a response after 2 days.

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:14:59 PM)
Hi Adriana-- it is up to you, my best suggestion would be to make sure and choose people who can best attest to your abilities and potential to contribute to and succeed in an MBA program.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:15:20 PM)
Miche'La-If the schools do not require an interview, then you do not have to. Some schools do not require it and therefore you do not have to, you would not be at a disadvantage.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:15:36 PM)
Yeny- Fellowship offers vary every year. Last year, we had about 800 applicants. Of that 800, about 450 were admitted to at least one school. Of that 450, 310 were offered fellowships.

james bond (Nov 13, 2007 8:15:38 PM)
Does a graduate degree factor into the admission process when evaluating the academic record - if so, does the caliber of program and institution weigh heavily or not?

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:15:55 PM)
James Bond, your resume can go back as far as you feel appropriate. I would probably suggest skipping any part time undergraduate work, but if the athletics were an important part of your past you can include them. Most schools will want to see a 1, but not more than 2 page resume. As for Essays, you got it. We want to see writing skills, how you answer the question and career focus. Your essays are the window into who you are, so it is important to be clear and concise.

aileenpass (Nov 13, 2007 8:16:00 PM)
Is it better to apply for the first deadline of the Consortium or does it really not matter?

Wole M. Fayemi (Nov 13, 2007 8:16:06 PM)
On the Consortium site, there were two dates regarding deadlines. Is this like "first round" and "second round" for applications?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:16:14 PM)
Raul_pr it is recommended that your supervisor complete at least one of the recs. The membership rec should come from someone who can speak of your commitment to the Consortium mission.

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:16:41 PM)
KC, give the first interviewer at least 72 hours before you give up. She/he may be busy and just hasn't had time to circle back to you. If you don't hear something within 72 hours, then move on and select another interviewer.

Alex (Nov 13, 2007 8:16:42 PM)
What are the strengths of the MBA program at Rochester. It works for me regionally but I haven't had much experience or heard much about it?

gino82 (Nov 13, 2007 8:16:55 PM)
JimRoss: I've heard mixed reviews on the importance of having taken calculus prior to applying to Michigan? Does this course serve as some type of gatekeeper?

ed (Nov 13, 2007 8:17:03 PM)
I heard your GMAT and GPA are what get you in the door and everything else is evaluated depending on where you rank in regards to other applicants. The GMAT being the more important of the two.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:17:14 PM)
Aileenpass-The answer is 'apply when you are ready'. If you feel that your application is as tight as possible within the next 2.5 weeks, then great. If you feel like additional time is necessary, then certainly use it.

debs (Nov 13, 2007 8:17:19 PM)
Chris - if I attended the NYU Diversity Weekend in October, where in the application is it best to mention it?

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:17:27 PM)
Wole, we have two deadlines to allow candidates to apply earlier if they feel they are competitive for an earlier deadline. However, either deadline is acceptable. Apply when you feel you are most competitive.

Alex (Nov 13, 2007 8:17:36 PM)
I will apply by December 5th. GMAT scheduled for 12/1 - when should I hear back from schools - the earliest?

steve14 (Nov 13, 2007 8:18:10 PM)
Could someone please elaborate on work experience? I would be coming in with only 2 years of solid experience. But I have participated in a startup venture on the side, have a lot of leadership and volunteer work and have a gmat, & GPA within all of the schools 80% range. Could someone please comment applying now versus waiting just to wait and have some more experience?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:18:25 PM)
Debs-Don't worry, just mention in one of your essays where you feel appropriate. More importantly, let us know what you took away from the weekend, what did you learn, what aspects of the program are appealing to you, etc.

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:18:28 PM)
Ed: Schools look at applications holistically. Academics, professional and personal accomplishments are all important. If you have an exceptional academic record but very weak work experience, that doesn't guarantee admissions. The reverse is also true. All pieces are important to a school.

marvel (Nov 13, 2007 8:18:31 PM)
ChrisGaetaNYU: Does Stern understand that Consortium applicants are applying by Dec 1st, and not Nov 15th?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:18:37 PM)
Alex- The deadline is Dec 1, not Dec 5. Admission decisions will come to you from the schools, about 6-8 weeks after you submit the application. Membership and fellowship decisions are sent out in March, and responses are due in April.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:18:51 PM)
Marvel-YES.

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:18:53 PM)
gino82, we no longer have a calculus requirement. However, we do expect that students will have at least a working knowledge of a college level business math course. There is considerable quant in the core courses, so if your quant skills are a bit rusty, you may want to take a course (on line, self study, or otherwise) to ensure you are ready to deal with the core.

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:19:00 PM)
Alex, that is a hard question to answer over a chat-- there are many great things to highlight! If you are local, you should come by the Simon School tomorrow night as we are holding an information reception or please contact me offline and we could talk over the phone or set up a time to meet.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2007 8:19:02 PM)
Steve14, Accepted.com has a database of interview reports. You can get a good idea of what to expect by seeing what previous interviewees experienced.

tiana (Nov 13, 2007 8:19:12 PM)
Could you please detail what you look for in a commitment to the mission? If the majority of the work we have done to benefit education has been abroad, is it applicable?

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:19:19 PM)
In the Consortium application, they ask for GPA, however I attended two institutions to get my degree, a Colombian institution for 4 years and a US institution for 2 years, Should I combine both GPAs? I did not want to do it since in Colombia the highest grade is not 4, but 5.

EG3 (Nov 13, 2007 8:19:34 PM)
Can a school, USC for example, award multiple Fellowships? Also, is there a minimum GMAT score required for admission into the Consortium?

mhall (Nov 13, 2007 8:19:44 PM)
ChrisGaetaNYU: Do I have a better chance at being accepted to Stern applying through the Consortium?

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:20:09 PM)
Steve14, if you feel you are ready and are a competitive candidate, don't wait. Most programs will suggest you have at least a couple years of experience (please check specifics for each program), but we also realize that each candidate will bring a different set of experiences that may make them ready with a few years.

in nyc (Nov 13, 2007 8:20:34 PM)
Is there much of an advantage to apply in the first round for the Consortium deadline?

Alex (Nov 13, 2007 8:20:41 PM)
The Consortium deadline is 12/1 - I am taking my Gmat on 12/1 - will this count?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:20:45 PM)
mhall-There is no advantage by applying through the Consortium, you should use it if the mission speaks to you and you can show your commitment.

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:20:58 PM)
EG3: There is no minimum GMAT score for admission into Consortium. Only one CGSM fellowship can be awarded, but if a school has other fellowships, it depends on the school as to whether they may also award other fellowships/scholarships. You should check with the school.

Wole M. Fayemi (Nov 13, 2007 8:21:02 PM)
ChrisGaetaNYU: I have been out of school for almost 20 years, so I would probably be much older than the median age of students matriculating. Is this a negative or positive? During my career, I worked on Wall Street for 10 years, and have been running my own company ever since. Will it weigh negatively if my work references are from work 10 years ago, since it is hard to evaluate myself as the founder and CEO of my own company?

Toni (Nov 13, 2007 8:21:30 PM)
Jackie, I tried to schedule an interview with a person listed on the Consortium Interviewers list in my city. It turns out they have not been trained and the only other option is an employee at my company whom I do not know. Is it ok to interview with someone who works for the same company?

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:21:35 PM)
Yeny, I would leave both GPA's separate because they were not calculated on the same scale and not at the same school... some schools will look at your degree granting institution for the GPA, some will combine both with their own calculation, and some may even allow you to self-report.  Definitely check with each school and make sure to submit official transcripts from both the college in Colombia and in the USA.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:21:45 PM)
Alex- The short answer is yes, it counts. The long answer is that you should be careful because you haven't built in any time for a re-take if you end up needing it.

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:21:57 PM)
In nyc, not really. Please apply when you feel your application is competitive. Schools will receive your application from the Consortium and will communicate the admission decision. If you apply by Janauary 5, most schools will be able to provide you a decision by early March.

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:22:11 PM)
How long should the essays be?

jedi331 (Nov 13, 2007 8:22:23 PM)
Which date should we consider our accepted date, when we hear from the school or from the Consortium? Will we hear from both?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:22:32 PM)
Toni- It is OK to interview with someone at your company as long as you do not know him/her.

JuanT. (Nov 13, 2007 8:22:39 PM)
Since each school allocates dollars for Consortium, is it possible to receive a partial fellowship, or is Consortium a full fellowship only?

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:22:43 PM)
Corey, I am not sure exactly how many of us require a set amount of work experience-- I would recommend that you check each school's web site as it will vary.

yengr (Nov 13, 2007 8:23:08 PM)
Veronica, does USC release decisions on admission based upon which "round" you submit your application?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:23:09 PM)
Wole-We have a very diverse student population and if you feel that the MBA is right for you at this time you can certainly apply. In terms of recs, using someone from 10 years ago would be very difficult, we would like to see something much more current. In your current role, perhaps you could use a major client or major supplier or the CFO of your own firm.

Andre Llewellyn (Nov 13, 2007 8:23:14 PM)
Chris(NYU) what is NYU's relationship, from a recruiting standpoint, with West Coast, technology-focused companies? Do they actively recruit from Stern or do Stern graduates find it relatively difficult to pursue those opportunities?

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:23:33 PM)
Tiana, with regard to support for the mission, this can be demonstrated in a number of ways: volunteering in community or professional organizations that directly support the mission (LEAD, SEO, NAACP for example); minority worker in a majority culture; mentoring; member of affinity groups at work; active participation in NSHMBAA and NBMBAA.

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:23:36 PM)
If I cannot attend any diversity weekend, is it going to affect my chances of getting in any of the schools?

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:23:39 PM)
Do you look for a diversity in the nationalities of the Consortium admitted students?

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:23:46 PM)
Yeny, your essays should be clear and concise. We do ask that each question response be limited to no more than two pages.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:23:51 PM)
Jedi- Each school issues its own decisions, so their time lines vary a little. You should get an admission decision in about 6-8 weeks from each school, and membership or fellowship decisions in mid-March from The Consortium.

james bond (Nov 13, 2007 8:23:56 PM)
Is the optional essay taken into consideration - what additional items should be included in order to further enhance an application... i.e. - overcoming life obstacles, etc?

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:24:02 PM)
Juan, the CGSM fellowship is full only, but schools may consider you for other scholarship opportunities if the fellowship is not available.

steve14 (Nov 13, 2007 8:24:10 PM)
Linda could you please comment on the reasons why a student would gain acceptance to a university but not be awarded a fellowship?

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:24:24 PM)
yengr: There's not much difference in which round you apply to for Consortium. Generally, we will notify the first round earlier.

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:24:28 PM)
Corey - we do not have a formal mentorship program...we provide contact information for our alumni.  You are free to contact our alumni after entering the program.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:24:34 PM)
Andre-We have an outstanding career development center that will work with you to help meet your goals. That being said, the majority of firms recruiting are on the East Coast. But, graduates accept offers on the West Coast every year.

yengr (Nov 13, 2007 8:24:42 PM)
Veronica, it was mentioned that younger applicants to USC with less work experience will need to compensate for this in other areas. Can you provide examples of this ?(i.e. higher gmat, etc.)

miguelhoz (Nov 13, 2007 8:24:56 PM)
Do you also take EMBA applicants?

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:25:04 PM)
Yeny, we look for diversity in the nationalities of students admitted through the Consortium. I am certain that all of the Consortium schools do the same. In fact, we look for diversity among students admitted outside of the Consortium process also.

gino82 (Nov 13, 2007 8:25:07 PM)
JimRoss: How does Michigan weigh the 80/80 split? I have an above 700 GMAT but it is skewed towards verbal. Nonetheless, I've created an alternative transcript with A's in Accounting, Economics and and Statistics.

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:25:38 PM)
James Bond, yes the optional essay is taken into consideration. Your optional essay can be used to close any gaps or explain any positive or negative aspects of your application. For example, if you have a gap in employment you may want to address this in your optional essay. If you received an award that is highly regarded in your professional field that you think we might understand, you can explain it.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:25:46 PM)
Miguelhoz- The Consortium only accepts applications for the full-time, two-year MBA program. Executive, part-time, evening, and weekend programs are not eligible.

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:25:51 PM)
yengr: If you have any part of your application that is not as competitive, i.e. GMAT, work experience, GPA... Then you should see how you can strengthen other parts of your application. For example, if you have a weak GMAT, but you have a lot of work exp and analytical work, then you can highlight your work experience.

in nyc (Nov 13, 2007 8:26:08 PM)
In regards to GPA, for someone who did 2 majors, which GPA should be reported. I was readmitted to the school after finishing the second one.

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:26:16 PM)
Steve, each school offers a select amount of fellowships each year and the reasons as to why you may or may not receive the fellowship would most likely be as a result of how you compare with the rest of the applicant pool that is also applying for CGSM fellowship-- you can certainly be an admissible candidate but not be selected as a fellowship recipient.

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:26:33 PM)
gino82, if I were you I would not be too worried about the GMAT score -- unless your verbal is just horrible, I think you would fare well in that regard. But remember that the rest of the application is equally important.

james bond (Nov 13, 2007 8:26:35 PM)
Jim Hayes - I thoroughly enjoyed the essay prompt for UM's school specific essay . . . are you guys looking for a generic answer or is it truly up to the candidate to display sheer honesty (b/c let's face it - sitting being a desk developing spreadsheets for an analysis is not what anyone wanted as a child or an adult) . . . so how honest can the potential candidate be w/ the prompt (what would you be if not in business)?

aileenpass (Nov 13, 2007 8:26:43 PM)
I think I am a little confused by an answer from Veronica at Marshall. Does each school only accept one Consortium applicant?

Michele O (Nov 13, 2007 8:27:08 PM)
If my GMAT doesn't fall within the 80% range should I try to increase my score and apply next year?

Florence (Nov 13, 2007 8:27:15 PM)
I was interviewed by a Consortium fellow at NYU for a Consortium fellowship. Would I still have to do a separate MBA interview for acceptance at NYU for instance?

Reggie (Nov 13, 2007 8:27:29 PM)
How should I handle my recommendations if I'm uncomfortable approaching my supervisor/manager because he is a new employee who doesn't know me well enough to give a fair evaluation?

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:27:54 PM)
In nyc, you can report your most recent GPA. However, when we evaluate your undergraduate record we look at all transcripts and will evaluate the courses taken, grades received, trends and GPA's for both programs and majors.

Angelica (Nov 13, 2007 8:28:21 PM)
My former supervisor is a Spanish speaker, will you accept a letter of recommendation in a language other than English?

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:28:22 PM)
James Bond, this is a question that has no right or wrong answer. So really think this one through and be honest. We are looking for something that will make you unique.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:28:32 PM)
Florence-The NYU interview is separate from the Consortium. Our policy is by invitation only. You may be invited and if you are we highly recommend that you take advantage of that opportunity.

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:28:35 PM)
MicheleO - our member school reviews the whole package; there are no cut-offs. I recommend you contact the school directly to discuss you situation.

Tony W (Nov 13, 2007 8:28:37 PM)
ChrisGaetaNYU: How important is it for an applicant to build a strong relationship with current students and MBA admission staff? Is this weighed in as part of the application process?

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:28:41 PM)
Aileen: No, each school can accept as many Consortium applicants as they'd like. I'm not sure exactly which part I confused you on, but I think it was about other fellowships. I was referring to non-Consortium fellowships. The question was about whether a school could award other fellowships, so I was referring to non-Consortium fellowships.

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:28:43 PM)
Reggie, you would probably be much better served if you looked to someone else for your recommendation that knows you better such as a former supervisor or someone else at your company who can attest to your potential.

corey (Nov 13, 2007 8:28:45 PM)
Are all the students who are accepted exceptional on all parts of admissions? Examples would include GPA and GMAT.

CESAR (Nov 13, 2007 8:28:51 PM)
Jackie, I haven't have a typical education. I received a GED, got an AA than transfered to a University. Would this affect my application?

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:29:04 PM)
Angelica, we will need the recommendation in English.

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:29:25 PM)
But Rebecca, I believe Emory also takes applications through the Consortium for the one-year program, am I not correct?

marvel (Nov 13, 2007 8:29:38 PM)
BetskyKacizakWISCONSIN: I know this is a small detail, but I have written my essays and so far, double spaced at 12pt font, they come out to about 3 pages or about 800 words. Can you give a rough word limit instead of a page limit?

jware (Nov 13, 2007 8:29:41 PM)
If I submit the Consortium application prior to the Rd 2 deadline, will it be instantly sent to the institutions, or are all applications sent to member institutions at once?

CESAR (Nov 13, 2007 8:29:46 PM)
Veronica, what is consider a weak GMAT?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:29:59 PM)
Yeny- That is not correct. The Consortium only works with the 2 year, full time program.

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:30:02 PM)
Corey, all parts of the application are weighted equally. An 800 GMAT does not guarantee admission, just as a lower GMAT score does not automatically rule you out.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:30:03 PM)
Tony W-It's important that you find out if we are the right fit. What that means is doing your research, visiting the school, speaking with current students, etc. Knowing about the program and how it can help you is really what is important.

LRamon (Nov 13, 2007 8:30:08 PM)
ChrisGaetaNYU: If I start a full time program but I need to change to a part-time after my first semester. What do I need to do? Is possible to get scholarship money transfer to the new program?

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:30:16 PM)
Is the picture supposed to be like a regular passport picture?

Rick (Nov 13, 2007 8:30:25 PM)
How is work experience valued at the application level and how much work experience is too much?

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:30:40 PM)
CESAR: You should look at the average GMAT for each school, as it varies by school. You can also see if the school publishes a GMAT range for their program. A "weak" GMAT score varies by school.

yengr (Nov 13, 2007 8:30:45 PM)
Veronica, is the strength of the curriculum taken into account in the weighing of GPA. By this I mean is some leniency given to someone with a lower GPA who had a more challenging course load like engineering or physics?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:30:45 PM)
Jware- Each application has to be screened individually and then forwarded. There's a little bit of processing time, but not enough that you should worry about it.

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:30:45 PM)
Marvel, we don't have a word limit. Is it possible to change the font or move to single space? If you are over just a little to three pages, I think that would be acceptable.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:30:54 PM)
LRamon-You cannot change programs, once you start in the FT, you cannot switch to the PT.

debs (Nov 13, 2007 8:31:13 PM)
ChrisGaetaNYU - if I will only have 3 years of experience by the time I'd hopefully enter NYU for b-school, would you think this can be a disadvantage if my classmates have an average of 5 or more?

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:31:33 PM)
Rick, more important than the quantity of your work experience is the quality of that experience. Some people have the skills we look for with just two years of experience while some others with more experience may not possess the requisite skills set.

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:31:35 PM)
yengr: Yes, definitely. We will look at the curriculum, degree, classes, etc. You can also point this out in the optional essay if you had a challenging curriculum.

AGupta (Nov 13, 2007 8:31:37 PM)
JimHayesROSS: Looking at some of the ways to demonstrate commitment to the mission, some of my examples are a little out of date, partly because I've been working in rural India in a non-profit for over a year. Jim, will not being able to demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission hurt my chances of being accepted into Michigan overall?

CESAR (Nov 13, 2007 8:31:55 PM)
I will be interviewing on Friday, could someone tell how much weight does the resume have on your complete package?

james bond (Nov 13, 2007 8:32:02 PM)
How does a graduate degree factor into the academic side of the application?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:32:06 PM)
Yeny- The size of the photo isn't as important as the quality of the photo and the appropriateness of the attire. We need a head shot, business attire, plain background. If you enroll in a member school and become part of The Consortium, the photos are published and provided to our sponsors during the OP.

yengr (Nov 13, 2007 8:32:08 PM)
Veronica is the page limit for the USC school specific essay 2 pages as well?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:32:16 PM)
Cesar: Our schools want you to be successful in their programs. If you successfully completed your last two years of undergrad studies and can clearly articulate why an MBA, you should apply.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:32:18 PM)
Debs-not a disadvantage, what matters is what kind of experience you bring to the table, i.e. how unique is your background and your career goals.

Fall08 (Nov 13, 2007 8:32:21 PM)
ChrisNYU: Of the Consortium students at NYU, what percent were awarded fellowships?

Alex (Nov 13, 2007 8:32:29 PM)
I am taking the GMAT on 12/1. If I should need to retake it, can I contact the Consortium and let them know to consider my application for the Jan deadline instead?

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:32:43 PM)
1- 2 pages is fine. We do not have an exact word limit, but most essays are 1-2 pages.

CESAR (Nov 13, 2007 8:32:47 PM)
Veronica, What is the range at Marshall?

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:32:57 PM)
CESAR, all aspects of the application are important. Your resume will speak to your past experiences. It is important to communicate your level of responsibility and accomplishments.

marvel (Nov 13, 2007 8:33:00 PM)
BetskyKacizakWISCONSIN: The Consortium explicitly stated that they want all essays double spaced and 2 pages. So what you are saying is I can make the font smaller to like 10 pt and single space it to fit 2 pages?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:33:06 PM)
Fall08-This depends every year, cannot provide an exact number. But, every year there are several Fellows.

mhall (Nov 13, 2007 8:33:09 PM)
ChrisGaetaNYU, is there ever a disadvantage in applying to the Consortium rather than applying directly to Stern?

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:33:10 PM)
AGupta, it is still possible for you to be admitted but you will not have much of a chance at membership in the Consortium (and the Fellowship) unless you can effectively demonstrate your support for the mission of the Consortium.

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:33:11 PM)
CESAR: Our median GMAT is a 690 and the 80% range is a 640-740.

JenniferR (Nov 13, 2007 8:33:20 PM)
JimHayes: I apologize if this question was posted earlier, but what elements are you looking within the alternative career question (1a)? Michigan offers some distinct components in their program that fit with my career goals, yet I wouldn't want to include them in the main essays which all schools read. Any suggestions on where to include these interests?

Wole M. Fayemi (Nov 13, 2007 8:33:39 PM)
How does something like dealing with a serious illness affect the application process if it is the most recent few years before applying, and the illness precluded one from working?

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:33:48 PM)
James Bond, if you have completed both an undergrad degree and a grad degree the admissions committee will take a look at both although it may vary in terms of which a school might give greater emphasis to-- your performance in a grad program prior to entering the MBA is helpful for a committee to see in order to get an idea of how you might do in masters level coursework.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:33:55 PM)
mhall-no disadvantage, you should apply through the Consortium if the mission speaks to you and you can provide examples of your commitment to the Consortium.

Angelica (Nov 13, 2007 8:33:57 PM)
Thanks Betsy, It is just that my former supervisor was very happy with my performance, he didn't want me to go outside Puerto Rico but unfortunately I'm not going to be able to have his input in my application, I'm sorry about that.

Anon (Nov 13, 2007 8:34:06 PM)
Jackie: In answering "the commitment to the mission" essay is it suitable to address a commitment to increasing the representation of gays and lesbians even though they are not one of the stated minority groups in the question stem?

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:34:12 PM)
Marvel, if the instructions state 2 pages, double space, I would suggest you follow the directions. It may mean you will need to review your responses and modify your answer.

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:34:16 PM)
I hear that Business schools sometimes have a hard time recruiting women, does it also favor being a woman for the fellowship Consortium application?

Alexander (Nov 13, 2007 8:34:34 PM)
Veronica - USC - If you are admitted to the full time program but do not receive a fellowship or some aid in the form of scholarships, would the school consider granting admission to the part time program?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:34:36 PM)
Alex--if you want to be considered for the early deadline, fax your candidates copy of the gmat score. 314-877-5505. We will process your application using the unofficial copy. Of course, we must receive an official copy from PearsonsVue before a final decision is made on your application.

gino82 (Nov 13, 2007 8:34:43 PM)
JimRoss: How are the new facilities coming along?

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:34:44 PM)
JenniferR, there is not wrong or right answer to this question. We are simply trying to assess what hurdles you have had to clear to get to where you are today. The challenges you have faced and conquered speaks volumes about your commitment to being successful, and your tenacity.

th316 (Nov 13, 2007 8:34:51 PM)
What information/ documentation should I take to my Consortium interview?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:35:08 PM)
Yeny-Every application is treated the same, mainly your commitment to the Consortium is very important.

blithe75 (Nov 13, 2007 8:35:13 PM)
As a bilingual Masters educated African American male with 7 years work experience, will a GMAT score in the 550's be enough?

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:35:36 PM)
Wole, I would recommend that you talk with representatives from each school that you are interested in with regards to this question as this may be a case by case issue and/or it will be important to a committee to hear your own story--

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:35:43 PM)
gino82, we are on schedule. The current plan is for the building to be complete by October of 2008. We will then move in and be ready for classes for the Winter 2009 term.

Alex (Nov 13, 2007 8:35:45 PM)
If my most recent supervisors have left the company I work for, and new supervisors don't know me well enough, can I use my former supervisors for recommendations?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:35:47 PM)
th316- Take a few copies of your resume (you may want to email a copy a few days in advance, too). Also take your Consortium ID number, as well as a list of any questions you may want to ask the interviewer.

AGupta (Nov 13, 2007 8:35:51 PM)
JimHayesROSS: I have my interview scheduled in a couple of days, but due to work commitments here, I haven't had a chance to go through the application much. How much of the application would the interviewer like to see completed before the interview? You mentioned the resume earlier - would that be something critical the interviewer would like to review before the interview?

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:36:05 PM)
Alexander: If you are admitted into the full-time program, and would then like to be considered for the part-time program, you must withdraw your application from the FT program, and ask for us to consider you for the part-time program. But definitely talk with us and we can advise you if you're in that situation.

steve14 (Nov 13, 2007 8:36:09 PM)
Veronica on the note of the 80% range of 640-740 do the majority of Consortium students admitted at Marshall fall in that range or a bit below it?

yengr (Nov 13, 2007 8:36:26 PM)
Veronica, what percentage of admits through the Consortium receive fellowships?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:36:28 PM)
Alex--feel free to use your former supervisor.

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:36:59 PM)
Agupta, aside from the resume the interviewer will have nothing else. We call that a "blind" interview. If you resume is ready to go, you should be fine.

Rick (Nov 13, 2007 8:37:09 PM)
Jim: Having had mid-level management experience, it seems as though that could be too much work experience and thus a disadvantage in the application process. Is that just perception?

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:37:11 PM)
Blithe75, you should look at each schools profile to determine if your profile is a match. Your undergraduate record and GMAT will help the school to determine your academic ability. If you have a strong undergraduate/graduate record this will help.

CESAR (Nov 13, 2007 8:37:17 PM)
Betsy, I was working on my BA while serving in the USAF. Would this be considered work experience?

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:37:24 PM)
When do we we hear if we got a fellowship through the Consortium?

blithe75 (Nov 13, 2007 8:37:30 PM)
What percentage of Stern applicants receive fellowships?

Alex (Nov 13, 2007 8:37:36 PM)
Jackie you rock.

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:37:44 PM)
Steve14: Our Consortium students are competitive in our class profile. Some may have weaker GMATs but other parts of the application are strong. The reverse can also happen. It varies but we try to look at an applicant in all parts.

Fisher (Nov 13, 2007 8:37:46 PM)
Is it appropriate to ask for an informational interview with a Ross admissions officer to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of an application in advance of submission?

blithe75 (Nov 13, 2007 8:38:06 PM)
My undergrad GPA was 3.4 and grad program 3.78.

Angelica (Nov 13, 2007 8:38:11 PM)
Are all the alumni Consortium interviewers? If not, how do you decide who is going to be?

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:38:16 PM)
yengr: The majority of our current Consortium students also received fellowships.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:38:17 PM)
Yeny- Decisions come out in 2 different steps. Admissions decisions come from the schools, about 6-8 weeks after you submit the app. Membership and fellowship decisions come out in mid-March, and responses are due in mid-April.

Fall08 (Nov 13, 2007 8:38:20 PM)
JackieO: Generally speaking, do the higher ranked Consortium schools offer the same amount of fellowships as the lower ranked schools or are fellowship offers very competitive and fewer at those schools?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:38:25 PM)
blithe75-This changes every year, no specific percentage.

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:38:26 PM)
CESAR, we will look at this as experience. You may want to use your optional essay to explain that you worked while in school. In many cases the work average you see on the schools' sites is post-undergraduate work experience, however, all experience is looked at and is consider a plus.

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:38:29 PM)
Rick, that is only a mis-conception. There really is no such thing as too much experience. But if you are mid career, then you really want to be prepared to explain how an MBA fits at this point.

gino82 (Nov 13, 2007 8:38:51 PM)
Did the lady from Emory leave?

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:39:12 PM)
I still do not understand the fellowship process; who decides if the students gets a fellowship? Each school? Or the Consortium committee?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:39:15 PM)
Angelica- The alumni interviewers are volunteers. They come to us several different ways- direct contact, referrals from other alumni interviewers, direct requests from applicants, etc.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2007 8:39:27 PM)
Yes gino82. Unfortunately, she couldn't stay.

jorge (Nov 13, 2007 8:39:33 PM)
JackieOldenConsortium: Is it possible to submit an updated GMAT score after the Nov. 15th deadline?

gino82 (Nov 13, 2007 8:39:37 PM)
JimHayesRoss: Are all Michigan interviews telephonic? Also, will early round applicants be informed of admissions decision in January as with round 1 applicants or will the simply wait until March?

james bond (Nov 13, 2007 8:39:46 PM)
Betsy, does UW's students take core classes with all students... then, are all classes related to your specialization taken with the individuals within your cohort?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:39:49 PM)
fall08, the number of fellowships offered vary by school based on many different factors.

CESAR (Nov 13, 2007 8:40:08 PM)
Veronica, I took the GMAT and blew it. I will be retaking it on DEC 15. Do you consider the highest score, or all?

JR (Nov 13, 2007 8:40:16 PM)
ChrisGaetanNYU: since the Consortium December deadline does not match any of the standard NYU deadlines, with what block of applications is the December 1 deadline considered with?

Andre Llewellyn (Nov 13, 2007 8:40:22 PM)
What is the Consortium's relationship with MLT (if any). Does the Consortium endorse MLT?

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:40:52 PM)
CESAR: We consider your highest score. Good luck on the 15th!!

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:40:55 PM)
gino82, no- interviews are not all telephonic. We do interviews by phone and in person. Those Consortium applicants who apply by December 1 will receive their decisions in January along with our other Round 1 applicants.

yengr (Nov 13, 2007 8:40:55 PM)
Veronica, I would like to submit my application next week since I will be traveling for work and the holidays. I have retaken the GMAT and received my official score via email today. How can I be sure that the proper GMAT score gets to USC ?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:40:59 PM)
JR-If you apply through the Consortium, i.e. Dec. 1, you will be a part of the 1st Consortium deadline.

Tony W (Nov 13, 2007 8:41:10 PM)
ChrisGaetaNYU: My GMAT score was just outside of 80% range on the lower end. How important is it to retake the GMAT to get within that 80% range?

steve14 (Nov 13, 2007 8:41:21 PM)
Jim, will Ross be decreasing the number of fellowships offered because of the new legislation passed in Michigan?

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:41:33 PM)
Yeny, the schools will determine both memberships (based on your membership essay and membership recommendation). If granted membership into the Consortium, the order in which you list the schools on your application is the order by which the school can offer you the fellowship. Bottom line, the school is making the decision to offer you the fellowship.

Andre Llewellyn (Nov 13, 2007 8:41:38 PM)
It sounds as though there is a bit of leniency in reporting late GMAT scores. Is it the same for a graduate class who's grades may not be reported until a week or two after the Consortium deadline? (i.e. can I inform the Consortium that I have additional grades coming in after the deadline?)

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:41:44 PM)
Andre- The Consortium and MLT work together frequently. We have many students who are both MLT members and Consortium members. The two organizations have the same ultimate goal, so we work to help each other get there.

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:41:55 PM)
yengr: You can email me if you'd like us to be sure.

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:42:00 PM)
Jorge--yes you may submit a GMAT score after Nov. 15. Be sure to let us know if you want us to use a later score.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:42:04 PM)
TonyW-If you feel you have adequate time to devote to preparation, then certainly go for it. With that said, the GMAT is only 1 piece of the holistic admissions process.

JR (Nov 13, 2007 8:42:10 PM)
ChrisGaetanNYU: So, are the Consortium applications considered by themselves and not with the rest of the applications? Thanks!

mhall (Nov 13, 2007 8:42:29 PM)
What is MLT?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:42:41 PM)
Andre- You should send in a transcript by the deadline, with a note in your optional essay that complete grades are not yet ready. Then send in another copy when grades are available, and we'll forward the new info out to the schools.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:42:43 PM)
Steve14, the answer is definitely not! There is no requirement that we lower the number or amount of scholarships -- simply that we cannot use any dimension of diversity as the sole factor in granting scholarships.

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:43:06 PM)
yengr: You should also contact the Consortium if you need to verify the GMAT on file for you.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:43:43 PM)
JR-All apps. are considered together, you are applying to an individual school and all applicants to our program will be evaluated on the same level.

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:44:00 PM)
So, is it possible that school 1 offers me admission but no fellowship? And school 2 offers me admission and fellowship? In that case, can I go with school 2, or I would have to follow the ranking?

CESAR (Nov 13, 2007 8:44:03 PM)
Jackie, I am not ready to apply by Nov 15. what are the pitfalls of applying by the second deadline?

james bond (Nov 13, 2007 8:44:06 PM)
Betsy, specifically related to the ACFIN program - how has this specialization enhanced UW's finance reputation and enhanced the students learning experience . . . does the b-school feel this approach has developed better financial managers both short-term & long-term . . . although the ACFIN program is young in tenure, what are the results (per the companies who are hiring the ACFIN grads . . . I've noticed minority participation in the ACFIN program is relatively low - how have recruiters and the b-school responded to this?

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:44:15 PM)
For those of you who are planning on retaking the GMAT after the deadlines, it is important that you let the Consortium and each school know you are retaking it and the date. Do keep in mind if you submit all your application materials and we don't know you are taking the GMAT again, there is the possibility an admission decision will be made with the information your originally submitted. It is recommended to submit a completed application when you feel your application is most competitive.

blithe75 (Nov 13, 2007 8:44:50 PM)
Could someone please address my question regarding the udergrad/grad gpa of 3.4 and 3.7 coupled with the 540 gmat?

yengr (Nov 13, 2007 8:45:01 PM)
Jackie, if I submit my application, and have a new gmat score coming into the Consortium. Is this score forwarded on to all the schools on Dec 1st?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:45:03 PM)
Yeny- you can only be offered 1 fellowship, but any admissions offer you receive remain valid, regardless of the fellowship decision.

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:45:17 PM)
Does the Consortium also take into account financial need? Do we have to fill out FAFSA?

pradine (Nov 13, 2007 8:45:31 PM)
Hhello and good evening everyone. I understand the latest test date the Consortium will accept for the GMAT is December 20th. I am no where near my ideal score and wanted to know how much will it effect my application if I take the test later and how much later can I take the exam without being disqualified?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:45:40 PM)
Cesar there are not pitfalls to applying by the second deadline. You should submit your application when you feel you have put together the most competitive package.

Florence (Nov 13, 2007 8:45:41 PM)
If it is a reapplication, do the MBA programs generally look at the previous application and interview?

yengr (Nov 13, 2007 8:45:50 PM)
Jackie, December 1st falls on a Saturday. Is it December 1st (12:00AM) or Dec 1st 5pm ?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:46:02 PM)
Yeny- The fellowship is merit-based. Need is not considered. However, you can contact the financial aid departments at the schools for information on other resources.

Andre Llewellyn (Nov 13, 2007 8:46:23 PM)
Is every one of the thousands of applications truly evaluated? Or are there some cutoff or benchmark in order to streamline the process (i.e. any application with a GAMT/GPA that is sub-x)

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:46:25 PM)
Blithe75, you should check the school profiles of the schools that you are considering to see if that GMAT score is in range. Your GPA is fine, but the GMAT score may put you at a disadvantage at some of the schools. I would encourage you to consider retaking the GMAT.

steve14 (Nov 13, 2007 8:46:34 PM)
Rebecca, on the note of yeny's question how common is it for schools to offer students a non-Consortium fellowship offer after they have received their 1 Consortium fellowship?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:46:44 PM)
Yengr- You should submit your application by midnight PST on Saturday night (Saturday going into Sunday).

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:46:58 PM)
Florence, it will vary by school, but generally each school will want to see what you have done since applying the first time and will ask you to update some information (such as essays)-- and may also ask for a new interview.

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:47:00 PM)
But Rebeca, does it mean that if school 1 does not offer fellowship, but school 2 does, do I have to go with school 1, because they are first in my ranking, even though they did not offer me fellowship?

Michele O (Nov 13, 2007 8:47:14 PM)
ChrisGaetaNYU: I applied to Stern two years ago and want to re-apply. Do you have any advice for re-applicants?

Miche'La (Nov 13, 2007 8:47:21 PM)
Thank You SOOO much for taking time out of your schedules to answer these questions! Very Helpful!

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:47:43 PM)
Andre: It depends, but yes, most schools will truly evaluate all applications! Some schools may have a cutoff or benchmark, but it depends on the school.

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:47:47 PM)
James Bond, ACFIN is modeled after our ASAP program, which has a 35 plus year reputation. We have received very positive responses from employers and students regarding the format of ACFIN.  It give the students hands on finance project management in the second year and allows you to focus in your functional area. Although minority students participation is not large, we do have several students in the ACFIN program each year. With the ACFIN program, Wisconsin alumni connections, and Consortium employers/alumni, this is a great fit for anyone interested in Corporate Finance.

Fisher (Nov 13, 2007 8:47:55 PM)
Is asking for an informational interview with an admissions officer appropriate to determine one's chances of admissions?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:48:14 PM)
Steve- we don't keep data on that, but it is common to receive scholarship and aid offers from other places.

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:48:14 PM)
Michele O- Glad you are re-applying, what is very important is to let us know what has changed in the past 2 years, i.e. how have you improved your candidacy, you can show this in a number of ways.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2007 8:48:16 PM)
According to their web site, MLT is an organization dedicated to developing African American and Hispanic business leaders.

Fall08 (Nov 13, 2007 8:48:39 PM)
ChrisGaetaNYU: Of the Consortium students at NYU, what percent were awarded fellowships?

ChrisGaetaNYU (Nov 13, 2007 8:49:04 PM)
Fall08-This changes every year, no set percentage.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:49:05 PM)
Yeny- You may attend any school that has admitted you, regardless of where you ranked them. The fellowship is not transferable from school to school, so if you go somewhere other than the school that made the offer, you can't take it with you.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2007 8:49:05 PM)
Do schools know how applicants ranked them in the Consortium application. Does that ranking influence admissions decisions?

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:49:30 PM)
Fisher, most of the schools offer counseling sessions to discuss questions about the application process. Still we won't be able to tell you with any certainty what your chances of admission are without seeing the entire application.

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:49:32 PM)
yeny- you can attend either school.  If you prefer to attend b-school without the fellowship, you can go to your first choice. If you want to take advantage of the $, go to your second choice.

Florence (Nov 13, 2007 8:49:35 PM)
If it is a reapplication, do MBA programs generally look at the previous application and interview?

Angelica (Nov 13, 2007 8:49:47 PM)
Ok, thanks Rebecca, my last question is, if I'm selected for the fellowship, are you (The Consortium) going to keep track of my MBA progress? Is there a minimum GPA we need to meet in order to maintain the fellowship?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:50:00 PM)
Linda- The schools do know where they are ranked, but that is not factored in until step 3 of the decision-making process. Step 1 is admission, step 2 is membership, step 3 is fellowship.

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:50:10 PM)
We do see your school ranking, however, the ranking is not used in the admission decision. The ranking is used only if you are admitted, granted membership and will be used for the fellowship selection.

Andre Llewellyn (Nov 13, 2007 8:50:24 PM)
Admittedly odd-case scenario question: If one were admitted to school, but not awarded a Fellowship, could you defer your matriculation and re-apply for a fellowship next year?

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:50:26 PM)
Thank you Jackie, understood!

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:51:11 PM)
Angelica- Each school requires that its students remain in "good academic standing" in order to keep the fellowship from year to year. The rules vary by school, but you'll get complete information from whichever school makes the offer (if any offer is made).

Fisher (Nov 13, 2007 8:51:22 PM)
Jim, can counseling sessions be held over the phone?

steve14 (Nov 13, 2007 8:51:31 PM)
Rebecca, during step 3 will the school determining fellowship have access to all of an applicants essays or just the ones for their school?

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:51:31 PM)
Florence- yes, your previous application is reviewed.

JimHayesROSS (Nov 13, 2007 8:51:46 PM)
Fisher, yes. You can do it either by phone or in person.

yengr (Nov 13, 2007 8:51:48 PM)
To the Consortium staff:  If I took the GMAT on 11/8, but want to submit my application within two weeks. Will my new GMAT score be forwarded onto the schools if I submit after the Consortium receives it?

CESAR (Nov 13, 2007 8:51:50 PM)
Betsy, what is the ratio of applicants to awarded fellowships?

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2007 8:52:09 PM)
What is the most common mistake applicants make?

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:52:37 PM)
Steve- Essays are sorted into 2 groups- core and school. Core essays are available to every school you apply to. School essays are only made available to the school (i.e. Michigan can only see the Michigan question response, NYU can only see the NYU response, etc).

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:53:10 PM)
Linda- Not giving themselves enough time. The process is very complex and time is needed to work on essays, speak with recommenders, visit programs, etc.

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:53:21 PM)
CESAR, that will vary by school. We don't have set amounts per school, nor do we have the same number of fellowships. Since the school will determine the fellowship candidates, you might want to contact the programs you have an interest in.

james bond (Nov 13, 2007 8:53:29 PM)
Betsy, what type of fit is UW looking for with regards to the ACFIN program?

Yeny (Nov 13, 2007 8:53:32 PM)
I was reading in the chat of 2006 that some Asian American students got Consortium fellowships, is it possible? I understand they are majority in business schools.

Florence (Nov 13, 2007 8:53:38 PM)
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to questions.

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:53:38 PM)
Yengr-if you let us know which GMAT score you want to attach to your application, we will send it to the schools you select.

Fisher (Nov 13, 2007 8:53:40 PM)
Thank you Jim.

RebeccaSmithCONSORTIUMRebeccaSmithCONSORTIUM (Nov 13, 2007 8:53:53 PM)
Linda- The Consortium application asks for the application fee as the second-to-last step in the process, with submission coming as the last step. Occasionally, applicants will think that payment is the last step, and miss submission.

JacquelineThomas-BellSIMON (Nov 13, 2007 8:54:05 PM)
Yeny, any student who demonstrates a commitment to the Consortium's mission can be eligible.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2007 8:54:14 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Special thanks to all the Consortium representatives here this evening.

VeronicaHoMARSHALL (Nov 13, 2007 8:54:16 PM)
Linda Abraham: Common mistakes come in many forms ;) Make sure you research the schools and answer the school essays accordingly. Please proofread. Make sure you have looked over the application requirements and fulfilled all parts thoroughly. Understand why you want the MBA!

BetsyKacizakWISCONSIN (Nov 13, 2007 8:54:36 PM)
James Bond, we want to see your passion for corporate finance. Everyone has transferable skills, so having direct finance experience is not required. We want to see leaders, team players, raw talent and passion.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2007 8:54:32 PM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats. Here is a list of currently scheduled chats:

• Wharton 15-Nov 
  • Haas 20-Nov
  • Duke 29-Nov  
Please check http://www.accepted.com/chat/schedule.aspx#mba for exact times and details.

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2007 8:55:31 PM)
The next Consortium chat is December 11 at the same time.  Please mark your calendars.

JenniferR (Nov 13, 2007 8:55:43 PM)
Linda, will transcripts be available for those of us who entered later in the chat?

CESAR (Nov 13, 2007 8:55:47 PM)
Pasion. Si tengo. Thank you.

JackieOldenConsortium (Nov 13, 2007 8:55:54 PM)
Thank you for coming!

Linda Abraham (Nov 13, 2007 8:56:01 PM)
Yes. The transcript should be posted in about a week.

Please check the Web site for details and exact time, because we are varying our chat times this year to facilitate attendance from applicants in different time zones. Good luck with your applications!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room