2008 Haas MBA Admissions Chat with Peter Johnson and Stephanie Fujii

2008 Haas MBA Admissions Chat with Peter Johnson and Stephanie Fujii

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending an e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 12:53:26 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome all applicants to the chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Berkeley’s Haas School of Business. It is critical to your decision making process and your admission chances that you know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask experts about this top business school.  I also want to give a special welcome Stephanie Fujii, Senior Associate Director of MBA Admissions at the Haas School of Business.

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 12:53:43 PM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 12:54:30 PM)
Thanks, Linda! It's a pleasure to join you today.

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 12:54:48 PM)
Thanks for coming.  It looks like we will have plenty of time for everyone's questions, but I'm going to open with mine.

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 12:55:13 PM)
What’s new at Haas?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 12:55:26 PM)
Where to begin....

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 12:55:37 PM)
There's time here and a lot of interest.

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 12:56:29 PM)
We are continuing to expand our Leading Through Innovation offerings. One of the key programs within this is our experiential Haas@Work program.  About 40 students are selected to participate in this extracurricular program and it kicks off with a full day meeting at the client's headquarters. The management team presents previously identified business issues that they would like to solve.  And then the students split up into groups to come up with potential solutions. After presenting these the management team debates the recommendations and picks one that they would like a smaller team of students to pursue. Six students are selected to spend the next 100 days coming up with a tangible solution. Previous clients for Haas@Work have included hotwire.com, Cisco, and currently we're working with an alternative energy company. Check out our website to learn more!

Joshi_Sumit (Nov 20, 2007 12:57:24 PM)
As an entrepreneur, who hasn't had any supervisors in the past, what should be my choice of recommenders?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:00:48 PM)
Joshi, for entrepreneurs we typically suggest recommendations from a board (formal or advisory, if you have one), clients, partners (if this applies) -- take a look at the questions that we ask on our form and think about the people who you've worked closely with who can provide detailed answers to these questions. As an entrepreneur it's especially important that your recommenders can talk about the accomplishments you've had as well as the impact.

Ricardo Almeida (Nov 20, 2007 1:00:53 PM)
1) According to what I’ve heard from you during the information session in Rio, and in accordance to what I’ve read at the FAQ website, applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible, provided that you do not sacrifice the quality of your application to do so. I will not be able to apply by round 2 because my job is really demanding during the end of the year and I would like to finish my application package in January when I will have more time available to do so. For an international applicant, is the chance to take a spot applying at the 3rd round too difficult due to the number of spots available by that time or that’s ok?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:01:28 PM)
Ricardo, the most important thing is to always make sure you present the strongest application possible.  Having said that it does look like this will be another competitive year. We don't see much difference in between the first 2 rounds, and in the past couple of years, we made a significant number of offers from Round 3. But since we don't reserve spots in each round, it does always depend on the strength of the pool in each round. As we mentioned in the information session, applying in later rounds could also impact scholarship decisions.

cathy (Nov 20, 2007 1:03:27 PM)
Hi Stephanie! What would you say about the marketing specialty at Haas?  I am interested in marketing strategy consulting for start ups.  Are there a lot of opportunities to pursue?  Do you have any such consultancy on your list of recruiters?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:06:39 PM)
Hi Cathy! Marketing is indeed one of our top specialties at Haas -- and it is one of the top functions that our students go into each year. I would have to check with our career services organization about consulting firms that specifically consult for start-ups on marketing strategy. We certainly have a large number of strategy consulting firms that recruit on campus. For more specific organizations -- if they don't come on campus - the alumni network and power of student organizations are great resources to connect with your target companies. I would recommend emailing our Haas Student Ambassadors (hsa@haas.berkeley.edu) to connect with a current student who might have similar career interests. This will be a great way to get an insider's perspective on opportunities while at Haas!

Ricardo Almeida (Nov 20, 2007 1:07:42 PM)
Regarding the Haas Achievement Award, do the applicants of round 3 have the same chances as the applicants of round 1 and 2?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:10:04 PM)
Ricardo, it depends entirely on the funds still available in Round 3. We also do not allot a certain amount of scholarship money per round -- rather we award scholarships on an ongoing basis beginning in the first round. If we have a lot of qualified candidates (for admission and scholarships) in the first two rounds, there may not be a lot of scholarship money remaining for later rounds. We have given scholarships in later rounds, but this really varies from year to year depending on the strength of the pool in each round.

ankur seth (Nov 20, 2007 1:10:08 PM)
I have already applied in round 1, when can I expect a decision regarding interview ?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:11:27 PM)
Hi ankur. We will begin sending out invitations for interviews approximately 5-6 weeks after submission. We read files in a somewhat random order, so it takes time for us to get through all of the applications in each round. This means some invitations could go out the day before the notification deadline (Jan. 29th). Please be patient with us. Each file is read by at least 2 members of our admissions team before a decision is made on the interview. It is not an efficient process (but we don't think it should be!) We know you spend a lot of time putting together your application and want to make sure it is reviewed thoroughly.

Ricardo Almeida (Nov 20, 2007 1:11:37 PM)
At the website you state that graduates of non-U.S. institutions are supposed to provide both the transcripts (original + translation) and a copy of the official degree certificate in the original language and its translation into English and that they must arrive in a sealed envelope as issued by the school. My school provided me the original transcripts and the certificate but I’ll have to obtain the official translation of both documents myself and send them to Haas. Is there any issue since I’m not able to manage to send the documents in a sealed envelope as issued by the school?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:15:17 PM)
Ricardo, you can have the translator (you will need to obtain the services of a certified translator) open the sealed envelope and then re-seal the envelope with the translated documents enclosed.

cathy (Nov 20, 2007 1:15:21 PM)
Could you tell us something more about the New Sector Alliance program?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:18:21 PM)
Cathy, the New Sector Alliance program is a partnership with an Accenture-sponsored nonprofit/social enterprise consulting enterprise. Students selected for this program work as consultants to create entrepreneurial, efficient, and sustainable approaches for the client organizations. This is another one of Haas' many experiential learning opportunities. Again -- for that insider perspective, I'd definitely contact our Haas Student Ambassadors to connect you with our students participating in this program.

thapar (Nov 20, 2007 1:18:32 PM)
What are the critical skills the students gain at Haas for getting into a top strategy consulting firm ...is pre-MBA management consulting experience required?

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 1:21:43 PM)
Welcome Peter Johnson!

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:22:00 PM)
Hello Everyone!

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 1:22:01 PM)
Pete is the Director of Admissions at Haas. He is taking a break from flying to join us.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:22:18 PM)
Glad I could be online this morning. I look forward to lots of good questions!

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 1:22:47 PM)
There are a lot of good questions for you and Stephanie to respond to. I'm glad you made it.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:23:02 PM)
AJS, yes, there are many opportunities. Haas@ Work is certainly one of the most visible, but there are a number of other projects going on through the Mgt of Technology program and individual classes.

Joshi_Sumit (Nov 20, 2007 1:23:22 PM)
Pete: How would Haas help someone who aspires to be part of the Private Equity-Venture Capital domain?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:23:41 PM)
Students are encouraged to take advantage of extracurricular opportunities, provided you manage your schedule carefully so that you keep up with the class work as well!

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:23:49 PM)
Hi thapar! Many of our students are career switchers -- and many are interested in switching into consulting. So no, pre-MBA management consulting experience is not required. Some of the critical skills that you learn at Haas (in addition to gaining a strong general management education) include leadership, communication, team work -- we hear time and time again from our recruiters that they value our students because of the ability to gain the general management foundation alongside exposure to top-ranked specialties; they appreciate that our students are independent, innovative thinkers; and they see our graduates immediately succeed within their organizations because of the high-degree of collaboration amongst our students....at Haas, the experiential and team-focused opportunities are great preparation for a career in consulting.

MZornes (Nov 20, 2007 1:24:10 PM)
Stephanie - As a student who is from the US but applying from outside of the country I have not had the opportunity to visit Haas while classes are in session. I have spoken with some current students through Blogs, Forums and such. Are there any resources for locating alumni by country? I would love the chance to speak to someone face to face.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:24:20 PM)
Joshi, we have specific courses related to PE and VC -related topics, but the most important element is to network with our alumni.  PE firms do not recruit in the way that traditional financial services firms do, and making the right connections is key.

Ricardo Almeida (Nov 20, 2007 1:24:46 PM)
Pete: As a round 3 applicant, can the decision be sent by Haas before April 30 or can we expect the decision information to be sent to all round 3 applicants together by April 30 only?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:25:27 PM)
Ricardo, we send all of the decisions on the response date.

cathy (Nov 20, 2007 1:25:38 PM)
Pete: I have read that if an application is deemed non-competitive by the initial reviewers, it gets out of the race then and there. Is that true? Are unsuccessful candidates informed soon after? If not why make them wait so long for ding letters? Hope the question is not out of place!

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:26:49 PM)
MZornes, you've taken advantage of some great channels to learn more about Haas! Throughout the fall we did travel to a number of international cities for MBA fairs and Berkeley MBA information sessions where alumni were present. These would have been the best opportunity to interact with alumni at this stage in the process. Should you be admitted to the program, you would then have access to our alums at that point.

MZornes (Nov 20, 2007 1:26:56 PM)
Stephanie - I understand that you are involved in Admissions and not necessarily the selection process for the International Business Development program. However, as the IBD is one of the differentiating factors in my desire to apply to Haas, can you talk about how competitive the program is for acceptance?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:28:29 PM)
MZornes, the IBD is a competitive program -- typically anywhere from 100 - 120 students apply for 72 spots in the course. The selection process includes an application and an interview by the program director. He will be looking for specific professional backgrounds and skills (include language skills) that meet the needs of the projects lined up for the year.

MJW98 (Nov 20, 2007 1:28:35 PM)
Stephanie, I will not be able to visit Haas until next year which is after the round 2 deadline, can you talk a little bit about what you think makes the Haas student community unique?

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 1:28:51 PM)
Pete: How did your round 1 application volume compare to last year’s round 1 application volume?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:28:56 PM)
Cathy, admissions questions are fine, of course. If the first two readers agree that an application is not competitive, that is usually the end of the line, unless one of them is not 100% certain, in which case it goes for a third review. Because we don't review applications in a specific order, and because everyone is reviewed by at least two readers, some applications won't have had two reads until later in the process. It makes no sense to release decisions early, which gives false hope to some. We don't simply put everyone on a spreadsheet and then drop the bottom half based on stats--if we did, then we could follow a policy like you suggest.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:29:48 PM)
Linda, although it's a bit early to give specific numbers, our Round 1 applications are up again compared to last year, which was up over the prior year. It could be just a trend for more applicants to try to get into Round 1...

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:31:05 PM)
Kapil, that's a challenging question to answer in this format, as there are many things. To give you a couple of common mistakes: 1) Not clearly explaining prior work experience, following the guidelines given; 2) assuming that a high GMAT score will get them in (it doesn't hurt, but it does not compensate for a lack of good work experience, etc); 3) poorly stated or unclear career goals; 4) essays/short answer questions that are written to appeal to what the candidate thinks we want to read rather than reflecting the applicants true goals and interests.

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:32:26 PM)
MJW98 -- I could indeed talk about this...for hours! But I'll try and be brief. I think our approach of developing leaders who lead through innovation (and the accompanying, courses, experiences, etc.) really distinguishes Haas. I think the people are absolutely a differentiating factor. There is truly a special culture at Haas and people who come select Haas because they want to make an impact -- in their careers, in their lives, and also in their b-school experience. Since it is one of the smaller programs you really become part of a tight-knit community. And there are so many ways to be involved and make an impact! I would reach out to current students through our Haas Student Ambassadors and ask our students what they think makes the program unique.

icha (Nov 20, 2007 1:32:35 PM)
Stephanie, do many Haas students pursue classes in other schools in Berkeley? Will students get a wide selection?

DS (Nov 20, 2007 1:33:32 PM)
Pete... how would Haas help someone interested to pursue a career in NON PROFIT INTERNATIONAL development agencies such as the World Bank , IMF or the UN?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:36:08 PM)
Icha, many students do take courses outside of Haas -- 97% of UC Berkeley's graduate programs are ranked in the top 10 nationally -- and as a student at Haas you have access to all of these classes. So this is certainly a huge benefit and opportunity for our students. However, you will also find that there are more courses at Haas than you have time to take over the course of 2 years, so it really becomes a question of prioritizing. You are allowed to take approximately 2 courses outside of Haas that count towards your graduation requirement. There are courses, however, that are cross-listed with the law school, school of engineering, etc. so these would not count as outside courses. But to answer your second question -- yes there is a wide selection!

thapar (Nov 20, 2007 1:36:23 PM)
Hi Stephanie ... it is said that IT applicants need to apply in first round to increase their chances ...otherwise the competition in second round is very high ..

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:36:40 PM)
DS, As with all career searches in industry or functional areas that are less common, our career services office works closely with students to develop a strategy that will (a) prepare them with the skills that the target organizations are looking for, (b) provide advice on how to leverage our alumni network, (c) participate in specific activities. In some years, for example, we have had a number of students pursuing postilions with development agencies, and we had a career services trek to Washing DC that included meetings with hiring managers in a number of them and networking opportunities with alumni active in this field.

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:36:48 PM)
Thapar, there are always so many rumors and theories out there...

vicky0429 (Nov 20, 2007 1:38:42 PM)
Pete, what are the specific qualities the Adcom want to see in essays and in interview?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:39:49 PM)
Honesty, authenticity, analytical skills, and focus. For the interview, I would add poise and communication skills. Good written and spoken English are important, too, of course!

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:39:57 PM)
But, Thapar, to answer your question, the most important thing is to present the strongest application possible. And your chances always depend on the strength of the pool and how your experiences compare. We do see a good number of applicants from the IT sector but we're still looking for the same criteria -- academic ability, richness of work experience (so in your career, have you progressed over time, demonstrated leadership, impacted your organization/team, etc.) and personal qualities. Competition is high for everyone since we only have 240 students per class! So remember, a strong application is a strong application.

MZornes (Nov 20, 2007 1:40:10 PM)
Peter - Can you talk a little more about Super Saturday. I've heard about it through the admissions blog but that's about it. When do you anticipate Super Saturday happening this year? Does an invitation to Super Saturday signify a stronger candidacy for admissions than another interview invitation?

Classof2011 (Nov 20, 2007 1:40:23 PM)
Stephanie: I have a question about the number of international applicants and enrolled students at Haas (and for that matter all the other Top 20 programs). Recently, the percentage of international students has skyrocketed (39% in the latest class at Haas) which is due in large part to the fact that international applications are skyrocketing - this year is another example with international GMAT registration up around 20% and US up only about 5%. As international students continue to make up a larger portion of the applicant pool (last year 42% of Haas applicants were international) will the number of international enrolled students continue to increase or at some point do you reach a maximum? Would a US business school, such as yours, really enroll 50, 60 or even 70% international students?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:42:06 PM)
MZornes, any interview invitation suggests that a candidate is at least on the right track. Super Saturday in particular is designed primarily for US applicants who are not in the San Francisco Bay Area, as it provides an opportunity to interview on a Saturday. If there is space available, some west coast candidates may be invited, too. It does not signify any greater interest or opportunities than an interview invitation anywhere else.

cathy (Nov 20, 2007 1:42:38 PM)
Pete: Could you also tell us something about the Entreprenuer Lab@Haas? What kind of support does a business idea get if selected?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:43:57 PM)
Cathy, the Entrepreneurs Lab is essentially a business incubator. A business plan team that is accepted is provided with office space, computers, and most importantly, the advice and mentorship of a successful entrepreneur to help them get the business off the ground. A team has one year in the space, before they have to fly the nest...

Classof2011 (Nov 20, 2007 1:44:10 PM)
Pete: How is recruiting shaping up this year? Are the banks still hiring?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:45:15 PM)
Classof2011, it is always important for us to enroll as diverse a class as possible -- and our international students contribute invaluable perspectives and experiences. Although our percentage of international students did increase last year, our percentage has typically been about 33%. In the near future, I think we will still hover around this percentage -- but it's always hard to say before we've seen what our pool looks like! I think it is unlikely that we will increase our percentage to 50% or higher -- at least at this point in time.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:45:18 PM)
Class of 2011, yes-- at least at this point. We've been watching this closely, of course, and some banks have indicated that they will likely hire fewer candidates, but as far as I know, none have indicated that they won't be hiring.

Joshi_Sumit (Nov 20, 2007 1:45:37 PM)
Pete: What opportunities does Haas provide its students to network with people working in private equity?

AJS (Nov 20, 2007 1:47:10 PM)
Stephanie - What percentage of the 240 students per class are admitted in each round?

Classof2011 (Nov 20, 2007 1:47:24 PM)
Thanks guys, great answers!

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:48:39 PM)
Joshi, we provide networking events for students to interact with alumni in a variety of fields as well as an online searchable database. Additionally, we have a Private Equity Committee of the Finance Club (http://groups.haas.berkeley.edu/fc/Careers_pec.htm) that works to foster networking efforts with our alumni in the industry and aid students in developing a strategy for their PE job hunt. As part of this effort the club organizes an industry mixer in San Francisco and we are planning a similar event in Los Angeles. On the academic side, there are several courses that help students prepare for employment in the industry (e.g. a dedicated LBO course, another one with focus on the VC industry, a speaker series, financial modeling courses, and so on). All of these activities help in this respect.

Roop (Nov 20, 2007 1:48:55 PM)
Pete: Is the Part time course as good as the Full time one ?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:50:40 PM)
AJS -- We don't have quotas by round, and we don't really track this information because of that. The only consistent trend that we've seen is that very, very few offers are made in Round 4. We do still make offers in the last round (otherwise we wouldn't have it) but by that point we've already made the majority of our offers for the class so it is much more difficult. Because the offers by round varies each year depending on the pool -- I would focus more on making sure that your application is as strong as possible. A strong application is a strong application in any round!

James (Nov 20, 2007 1:51:02 PM)
Thanks for doing this chat Stephanie and Pete, Stephanie, when can we expect to hear from you re: interview invitations?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:51:14 PM)
You're welcome, Classof2011!

thapar (Nov 20, 2007 1:51:20 PM)
Thanks Stephanie ...

angelmm (Nov 20, 2007 1:52:07 PM)
Stephanie: You don't offer EMBA in Haas apart for the one shared with Columbia?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:52:25 PM)
Roop, the part-time programs (both the Evening and Weekend and the Berkeley-Columbia Executive Program) are both excellent, but in some respects you are comparing apples and oranges. While the educational experience is very similar (same faculty, same quality of instruction) there are fewer elective opportunities and fewer opportunities to take part in some of the career development activities. (There are some, but just not as many). Because of the geographic limitations, the application pool is smaller, and so admission is slightly less competitive, meaning that for a strong applicant, statistical chances of admission are more favorable. So, in summary, I would say yes, it is as good.

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 1:52:54 PM)
Pete and Stephanie: When you are evaluating applications and the numbers are in the ballpark, what puts one applicant in the admit pile, and others in the rejected or waitlisted piles?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:54:12 PM)
Linda, it could be a variety of factors--perhaps a particularly strong work profile, a significant or unusual achievement in the applicant's professional or personal activities; unusually compelling letters of recommendation, etc.

icha (Nov 20, 2007 1:54:46 PM)
Pete: Will you be receiving mailed academic records after each round deadline? Or an application without such supporting documents will be automatically labeled incomplete?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:54:56 PM)
Thank you for participating, James! We will begin sending out interview invitations approx. 5-6 weeks after the submission deadline. Since we read applications in somewhat random order and each application is read by at least 2 members of the admissions team before a decision about interviewing is made -- it simply takes time to get through each round. So please be patient with us! We will still send out invitations up until the day before the notification deadline. Although this is not an efficient process, you should take comfort in knowing that we review each application thoroughly!

Joshi_Sumit (Nov 20, 2007 1:55:06 PM)
Stephanie: Does Haas provide accommodation to married couples?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:55:09 PM)
You're welcome Thapar!

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:56:15 PM)
Angelmm, we do offer a joint Executive MBA with Columbia. You can find out more information on our website: http://www.berkeley.columbia.edu/

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:56:30 PM)
Icha, the records must be postmarked on or before the deadline, and yes, the application is incomplete until we have received them. All this means is that we won't move forward with the review until we have the documentation.

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 1:56:40 PM)
How do you use the interview in the admissions process?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:57:42 PM)
Linda, the interview is an opportunity for us to gather additional information about a candidate that we are seriously considering. The interview report is one piece of information that we consider in making our final decision.  An interview may confirm some things that we think about the applicant, and may provide additional information. It certainly gives us a sense beyond the paper application of an individuals communication skills, poise, etc.

kapil_agg (Nov 20, 2007 1:57:55 PM)
Hello Peter, what is your view on the Haas focus on 'Leadership through innovation'?

thapar (Nov 20, 2007 1:58:16 PM)
Stephanie: What are different activities at the Consulting club?  I have heard that it is one of the active clubs at Haas.

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 1:59:05 PM)
Joshi, I'm not sure I understand in what respect...in terms of the admissions process, each application is reviewed separately so we do not consider marriage in the evaluation process. In terms of support, resources for married couples once at Haas -- absolutely! The Partners Club is one of our most popular clubs!

cathy (Nov 20, 2007 1:59:25 PM)
Stephanie: Is a gap in employment a huge drawback? If there is a good reason will the application be seen at par with others?

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 2:00:02 PM)
Kapil, I think the phrase "Leading through innovation" is an accurate description of how our approach is a bit different from other MBA programs, and it reflects what corporate recruiters, alumni, and faculty have pointed out as a significant characteristic of our graduates: the ability to organize, manage, and lead organizations in ways that encourage, value, reward, and implement creative and innovative solutions.

yatin (Nov 20, 2007 2:00:06 PM)
Hi Pete, I am a product designer and researcher from India looking to move into social sector .. You had earlier guided me in Businessweek chat to check for work by Prof. McElhaney.  I did that and I am very much interested ... but a little worried on the finances since the salaries in the social sector are comparatively lesser...can you give me some idea as to what kind of jobs do CSR guys get into just after finishing their MBA?  Thanks.

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 2:01:02 PM)
thapar, there are many activities centered around networking and preparing for a job in that industry -- firm nights, career treks, etc. I would contact the Club Leadership (you can find this on our website) and connect directly with our students!

icha (Nov 20, 2007 2:01:17 PM)
Pete: Still re: academic records, if I retain all official documents needed for admission, will I still need to specifically request another set from my undergrad school? I'm asking this because of the 'sealed envelope policy'.

thapar (Nov 20, 2007 2:01:24 PM)
Stephanie: What is the margin of error in the interviews ...are the applicants given logical reasoning questions or current affairs questions in between the normal why MBA, why Haas questions?

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 2:02:25 PM)
Linda -- I apologize but I'm running late for a meeting. I will answer the last couple of questions, but I do need to bow out. Thank you so much for the opportunity to share information about the Berkeley MBA and Haas!

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 2:02:45 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Stephanie and Pete for joining us today.

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 2:02:48 PM)
No problem Stephanie.

MZornes (Nov 20, 2007 2:02:53 PM)
Thanks Stephanie for everything.

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 2:03:02 PM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats, and here is a list of the upcoming scheduled chats:

• Duke Fuqua: Nov. 29 
  • Consortium: Dec. 11 
  • London Business School: Dec. 12
Please check the Web site for details and exact time, because we are varying our chat times this year to facilitate attendance from applicants in different time zones.

AJS (Nov 20, 2007 2:03:36 PM)
Thanks Stephanie!

kapil_agg (Nov 20, 2007 2:03:39 PM)
Thank you Stephanie

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 2:03:43 PM)
Cathy, a gap in employment is not necessarily a huge drawback -- like everything, it depends on context. How long? What were the reasons? And this becomes just one piece that we're evaluating in the overall professional accomplishments section.

Joshi_Sumit (Nov 20, 2007 2:03:45 PM)
What I meant was - Does Haas provide a room, an apartment or a studio to married couples?

thapar (Nov 20, 2007 2:03:51 PM)
Thanks Linda.

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 2:04:08 PM)
You're welcome! Thank you all for participating! We look forward to hopefully seeing your applications!

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 2:04:19 PM)
Joshi -- there is housing for married couples.

Roop (Nov 20, 2007 2:04:26 PM)
Thanks Pete and Stephanie.

Joshi_Sumit (Nov 20, 2007 2:04:28 PM)
Thanks Stephanie and Peter so much for your time!

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 2:04:33 PM)
Yatin, alumni who have specialized in CSR go into a variety of things. In some cases, they go into a normal finance, marketing, or management role, which makes Dr. McElhany happy because she feels that an understanding of CSR is critical at all levels of an organization. Others have actually taken CSR strategy positions, often with large multinational firms. I sense that maybe you are thinking more about non-profit jobs, which more often pay less. You may notice from our website that for non-profit and governmental jobs that pay less than $70K per year US, we have a Loan Repayment Assistance Program so that such alumni are not dissuaded from taking positions with a social focus.

yatin (Nov 20, 2007 2:04:54 PM)
Thanks a ton Peter :)

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 2:06:11 PM)
Thank you all.

StephanieFujiiHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 2:06:15 PM)
Bye everyone! Linda -- thank you so much for providing us with this opportunity! It's been a pleasure.

Linda Abraham (Nov 20, 2007 2:06:16 PM)
Good luck with your applications.  Happy Thanksgiving. You're most welcome, Stephanie.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 2:06:37 PM)
Icha, I don't know where you are applying from, but the "sealed envelope" refers specifically to countries from which this is the norm. I don't know where you are applying from, but yes, you do need to provide an official transcript, sent from the institution, for many countries--in some cases, in countries that do not provide more than one original copy, an official attested copy is required. If you have questions regarding a specific country, you should contact our office.

PeterJohnsonHAAS (Nov 20, 2007 2:07:15 PM)
Nice to chat with all of you, Happy Holidays (for those in the US) and good luck to all of you with your applications!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room