2008 Emory Goizueta MBA Admissions Chat with Julie Barefoot & Anne Dries

2008 Emory Goizueta MBA Admissions Chat with Julie Barefoot & Anne Dries

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 1:13:02 PM)
First I want to welcome all applicants to the Emory Goizueta chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about the Goizueta MBA program . Whether you are working hard on your application to prepare for Emory’s next deadline deadline on February 1, or you are doing research with the intention of submitting later, you need to know as much as you can to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice. Being here today allows you to ask the Emory experts about this outstanding business school.  I also want to welcome the Emory representatives who have agreed to participate today:

• Julie Barefoot, Associate Dean and Director of MBA Admissions 
  • Anne Dries, MBA Program Director 
  • Keosha Moon, Associate Director of Recruiting, MBA Career Management Center 
  • Judd Eisenberg, MBA Candidate Class of ‘09 
  • Vineet Shekhar, MBA Candidate Class of ‘09

Welcome. Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 1:13:54 PM)
I’m going to post basic logistical info now. As I do, Judd and Vineet, could you tell us a little about yourselves? What did you do before your MBA and where did you do it? What are you concentrating in at Emory? What do you want to do after your MBA? What campus activities and organizations are you involved in?

Colin (Jan 14, 2008 1:14:41 PM)
Keosha, Hi. How does one take advantage of the internship opportunities provided by Emory University? When does one need to apply for an internship?

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 1:15:14 PM)
Julie: What makes an application stand out in a positive way as you go through piles of them?

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:16:43 PM)
Colin, we focus on prepping students during the fall for the internship process. The applications are in November for the most part. Investment Banking internship interviews are first and they occur in early January. The rest of the internship interviews will take place between late January and March.

sanpiyang (Jan 14, 2008 1:17:25 PM)
Keosha: How will Emory help finance guys succeed? For example, could you list the names of great professors and great courses in finance? Do you have some specialized finance programs and clubs? Thanks.

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:18:04 PM)
The key ways that an applicant can distinguish themselves are through demonstrated leadership experiences (for example, in extracurricular activities), through progressive work experience and through a strong academic record (undergraduate grades and GMAT). Another way that an applicant can distinguish themselves is by interviewing with us and communicating that they have a well-thought out plan for obtaining their post MBA job and by demonstrating strong interpersonal/communication skills.  I would also recommend that applicants select recommenders who know them well and can meaningful things about their ability to contribute to class discussions. You'd be surprised at how different letters of recommendations can be in terms of their knowledge about an applicant's background and preparation for bschool.

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:18:12 PM)
Which area of finance are you considering?

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:19:01 PM)
Hello, my name is Judd Eisenberg as you can tell by my handle. A quick blurb on me. I am originally from Houston, TX and I majored in finance at the University of Texas at Austin. I went on to work in risk management in Houston for about 2 and-a-half years in the energy trading industry and then worked in risk about 3 years in the investment banking industry in New York City. I am now concentrating in marketing and strategy at Emory, and I am involved in the Marketing Association, the Goizueta Marketing Strategy Consultancy, and the Sports, Media, & Entertainment Industry. I am looking to transition into brand management or marketing strategy.

Vinayak (Jan 14, 2008 1:19:09 PM)
Julie: Hi. I would like to know about the 'Directed Study' option at Goizueta. Is it available to all the MBA applicants or only a select few?

Ramit (Jan 14, 2008 1:19:26 PM)
Judd: What is the one distinguishing factor which separates Goizueta from the rest of the American B-schools?

ashok (Jan 14, 2008 1:19:43 PM)
Keosha, I have heard that for next academic year there has been some important changes in the curriculum in Emory. Can you please highlight them?

Kodali (Jan 14, 2008 1:21:11 PM)
Julie, I am a sales / Project Mgt Professional with 13 years + exp and am with IBM in Dubai . Am I too old for a 1 /2 year MBA at Emory?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:21:30 PM)
Vinayak, Hello! Any student who wants to do a Directed Study can complete one--you would work with our MBA Program Office to make sure that your plans are sound and you would also need to be matched with a faculty member---this is very doable.

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:21:45 PM)
Hi Ramit: Good question. I asked that one myself many times. I would say the tight-knit community at Emory as well as the ample opportunities for leadership is what separates Emory from many of the other top business schools.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:22:02 PM)
Hi - I just got logged in...Anne Dries from the MBA Program Office.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 1:22:19 PM)
Anne, Welcome! Anne is the director of the MBA program office.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 1:22:57 PM)
Anne: What makes the Goizueta MBA different?

bt (Jan 14, 2008 1:23:22 PM)
Julie: When you read the candidates' resumes, do you want us to focus on giving you a holistic idea of what our day-to-day responsibilities are? Or do you want us to focus on the specific projects (the few within the many) that we think are noteworthy? Of course, both are important, but with limited space, I'd love to get advice from students and admission officers. Thanks!

Kodali (Jan 14, 2008 1:23:29 PM)
Hi Keosha, are the organisations visiting campus for placement open to recruiting student with 10+ years of prior experience?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:23:40 PM)
Kodali, We have certainly had candidates with your years of work experience in our full-time MBA Programs. As you may know, we also offer an Executive MBA Program and most of those candidates have about a dozen or more years of work experience. As to which program is the better fit for you---it depends, frankly, on your post MBA plans--if you're looking to make a career switch, then our full time, 2 year program is likely the best option for you.

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:23:49 PM)
San Pi, our finance professors are great. They take a very active lead in helping students to prepare for interviews and take advantage of networking opportunities with finance alumni. Some of the professors that we work most closely with are Dr. Nicholas Valerio and Dr. JB Kurish. We have several different finance clubs to meet different areas of interest.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:24:40 PM)
Linda, it's a very close-knit community to be part of. You get to know your professors first hand and they know you.

Deeps (Jan 14, 2008 1:24:58 PM)
Anne: Can you tell me more about the LEAD week ?

ashok (Jan 14, 2008 1:25:34 PM)
Julie: Does a pre-application interview qualify on the same terms as a post-application interview? Is there any chance that a candidate would be interviewed twice?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:25:40 PM)
Hello bt! In terms of your resume, we like to see it be fairly succinct---meaning that it should be on one page...or two at the most. We prefer that your description of your work give us a overview of your day to day job responsibilities ---you can give us a sense of your success on a project in one of your essays---our first essay question would be a good place to do that....but your resume should be a "snapshot" of your work/educational/leadership experiences.

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:25:44 PM)
Ashok, we have made several important changes to the curriculum. Anne is helping to lead this effort so I will defer to her to explain.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:26:25 PM)
Lead Week is something that is offered in Spring...it's a time to focus on a concentrated area of learning. So we do international travel based learning and short seminars on hot topics.

D-ATL (Jan 14, 2008 1:26:43 PM)
Anne: What kind of social entrepreneurship programs/courses does Goizueta offer?

Deeps (Jan 14, 2008 1:27:00 PM)
Keosha: Also what are the opportunities to work in the field of education and non-profit sector at Emory?

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:27:35 PM)
We don't have a course focused on social entrepreneurship...but we have a growing group of students that focus on social entrepreneurship through their activities with Net Impact and other groups.

Anu_Gupta (Jan 14, 2008 1:27:58 PM)
Anne: Hi. A question on the curriculum: I would like to know about the Goizueta "Hire or Fire" Competition? How can students participate in it?

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:28:06 PM)
Kodali, the companies that recruit on campus are open to recruiting students with 10+ years of experience. You just have to make sure that you do your research on salaries so that you won't have false expectations.

Florence (Jan 14, 2008 1:28:09 PM)
Keosha: I have noted on the website, that there are so many excellent networking opportunities, but not many companies in the Health Care Sector recruit from Goizueta, from your data online, showing students placements and job offers. Is there a way for me, if admitted, to work with the Career Development Center to attract the HMOs and biotech companies?

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 1:28:41 PM)
Judd: What attracted you to Goizueta? Has your experience met your expectations?

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:29:01 PM)
We don't do the Goizueta Hire or Fire anymore...it was a class session taught by a faculty member who is no longer with Goizueta.

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:29:07 PM)
Deeps - What's also great about Lead Week is that you have many options to choose from both internationally and within Atlanta. It's a great time to immerse yourself into a project or experience that is interesting or relevant to your concentration(s).

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 1:29:42 PM)
I guess it is an element in the experiential component of the Goizueta MBA.

prospective08 (Jan 14, 2008 1:30:23 PM)
Anne: Hi! I read on the Goizueta website that there is going to be a new center built for hedge fund and private equity research. Will this facility be available for students entering Fall 2008?

jptrish (Jan 14, 2008 1:30:49 PM)
Julie: Do you have any tips for the admissions interview?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:31:06 PM)
Deeps--we have alums who are working in some really interesting areas within the education and non-profit sector. For example, we have alums who work for The Broad Foundation which is specifically for MBAs and Broad Fellows consult for large school systems. We also have alums who work for smaller non-profits or for the government.

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:31:09 PM)
Deeps, we have a core group of students that are interested in non-profit work. We have some great organizations such as the Broad Center, Education Pioneers, Kaplan, United Way, and Georgia Center for Non-Profits that recruit with us. We also have a scholarship that was donated by the class of 2003 to provide students interested in non-profit internships with stipends. This scholarship is awarded to two students every year.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:31:48 PM)
Prospective08: By Center we mean a group of people all focused on the same issue...as opposed to a building. The leaders of the center are putting the ideas together now, and will have opportunities for students to get involved...if not in Fall 2008 then Spring 2009.

Joro (Jan 14, 2008 1:32:06 PM)
Keosha, do you have information on what percentage of Goizueta students start working after graduation for the company where they did their internship?

MBA Aspirant (Jan 14, 2008 1:32:27 PM)
Anne: Do you have any courses specific to small business?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:33:18 PM)
jptrish, hello! I would recommend that you come to the interview relaxed and prepared to discuss your work experience---we are really interested in learning about your day to day responsibilities and ways that you've demonstrated initiative in your job. We're also interested in your passions--what do you do outside of work? What do you want to do after you earn your MBA and why? Why do you think that you'll be a good match for that career path? The interview should not be a stressful experience--we really want to know about you as a person and we are very interested in why you are interested in Goizueta.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:33:37 PM)
MBA Aspirant: We have Entrepreneurship and Adv. Entrepreneurship courses...both taught by a successful, serial entrepreneur. You learn how to maximize your small business...

MMM (Jan 14, 2008 1:33:37 PM)
Julie: I understand it good to stay in contact with the admissions team but I do not want to bother or seem over-bearing. Any thoughts?

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:34:30 PM)
Florence, the list on the website is a partial list of top hiring companies. We do have relationships with HMOs and biotech companies. We can work with you on an individual basis for those companies. Each year, we have new opportunities and those are often a result of student interest.

Vinay (Jan 14, 2008 1:34:44 PM)
Anne: Goizueta dropped by few places in latest rankings compared to 2005. What could be the cause? Could you please talk about it a bit? Thanks.

Jp (Jan 14, 2008 1:34:54 PM)
Hi Keosha: What special efforts does the CMC make to help international students getting into the job market after graduation?

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:35:01 PM)
Linda - A few things attracted me to Goizueta. First, the people were very intelligent, friendly, and responsive. Whenever I had a concern or question someone from the admissions office, an MBA student from a prior year, or someone from the career center was quick to offer me help or give me an answer to my liking. Second, Atlanta is a a large and vibrant city rich with job opportunities and fun. It's awfully nice to have in your backyard many great companies and a plethora of cool areas to hang out while you need some downtime from school and the job hunt.

arora_rohit (Jan 14, 2008 1:35:34 PM)
Hi Judd, I have a question about the marketing club activities and the role of the Emory Marketing institute. What are the typical activities carried under the umbrella of this organization? Thanks.

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:36:59 PM)
Dear MMM--what a great question! We do want to hear from you because we very interested in answering all your questions about our program, etc. Having said that, we are also very busy at this point in the application process....my recommendation is that after you interview, you can certainly follow up with an thank you.....but after that, unless you have a specific question or need, you don't need to keep contacting us just so we'll know of your interest.......again, if you have new information (a promotion, new leadership role at work, or a new GMAT), then certainly contact us with this information, but otherwise, one contact is fine.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:37:01 PM)
Vinay: After much analysis, we found it was really the feedback from our recruiters that led to the slip in our rankings. As a result, we did a complete overhaul of the structure and focus of the career center, added more staff, and clarified the goals. The second years are giving us HIGH marks for the improvements...they're very happy with the changes which we believe will translate to improved marks from recruiters.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 1:37:34 PM)
Anne, could you tell us about the changes to the curriculum that Emory has instituted?

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:38:40 PM)
Joro, I don't have that exact statistic available. The statistics that we focus on most are the ones that the MBA CSC requires us to report. I will tell you that typically, ~50% of our students receive offers from their internships. I must say that the percentage of that 50% that accept their offers will vary across industries/functions.

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:38:48 PM)
Dear Nari, yes we have....we actually have several engineering majors enroll each year and they are very good candidates....having said that, if the MBA Admissions Committee thinks you'd be a good candidate otherwise, we would require that you complete an on-line Economics and Finance course/review (created by our faculty ) prior to the start of our One Year MBA Program in May.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:39:22 PM)
Linda: The new curriculum will be rolling out in Fall 2008. It will allow students to complete almost all of their core classes in the first semester, take 4 electives before their internship, and will add a new course called Management Practice that will help MBAs learn how to bring all of the disciplines together. The result will be better prep for your internship, which will help in landing your full-time job.

Vinay (Jan 14, 2008 1:39:28 PM)
Keosha: Are there any VC firms recruiting for internship? How can one concentrate on 'Entrepreneurship' specialization starting from end of First year?

Ramit (Jan 14, 2008 1:39:44 PM)
Julie: How many applications does Emory gets for its 2 year MBA program... how many offers are made... and how many finally take admission?

bschoolbound (Jan 14, 2008 1:40:22 PM)
Judd, do you plan to return to New York post-MBA? If so, have you found it to be challenging to recruit for positions there?

ashok (Jan 14, 2008 1:41:07 PM)
Judd: How do Emory students balance workload and enjoyment? Is Emory a highly competitive place?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:41:25 PM)
Dear Ramit, we typically receive about 1100 or so applications and our admit percentage is about 1/3 and of those that we offer admission, about 50% enroll.....please note that some of the admitted Two Years are also applying to our One Year, Evening and Executive MBA Programs, so sometimes these admitted students who don't enroll in the Two Year go to other MBA Programs or sometimes they go to another of our own programs!

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 1:41:38 PM)
Anne, what do you view as Emory’s biggest strength?

erry (Jan 14, 2008 1:41:55 PM)
Julie: Hi! My name is Jerry Lee. I applied to Round 2. I'm Korean. All reviews for Round 2 applicant have been completed? I have not received the complete message, even though some my friends already got the complete message and were invited for interview on Jan 25/26 in Korea.

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:42:18 PM)
Arora - The Marketing Association offers and sponsors many activities. It offers mock interviews to strengthen your interviewing prowess, Annual Marketing Treks to both New York and now also within Atlanta, networking events to meet industry representatives, and resume building workshops. The EMI (Emory Marketing Institute) is an academic research center that can offer you real-world opportunities to do independent research projects for a marketing professor.

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:42:19 PM)
Jp, we make a point of educating our corporate partners on the merits of hiring an international student. We also are increasing the number of opportunities that we have available for employment at top companies in locations other than the US. We have an advisory on staff that is dedicated to working with international students. We also try to expand the number of opportunities that are open to international students through outreach.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:42:23 PM)
Linda: Rigorous academics + intimate community + Atlanta = great learning and great opportunities

Deeps (Jan 14, 2008 1:42:47 PM)
Anne: How flexible is the curriculum at Emory? Do students get help from the MBA placement office in order to search for specific internships?

GJoshi (Jan 14, 2008 1:43:07 PM)
Keosha: Does Emory publish internship and full-time placement rates by firm?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:43:52 PM)
Dear erry, thank you for applying! We have not completed all of our review of Round 2 applicants although we have completed a high percentage of these applications. We had a record number of individuals apply in Round 2 so we are still reviewing these files. Thank you for your patience. We are doing our best to get applications complete and reviewed on a timely basis.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:43:53 PM)
Deeps: The new curriculum adds a lot of flexibility...you choose 4 electives to prep for internship in your first year. And we have options for directed study projects that you design yourself on work on with a professor.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:44:53 PM)
Deeps: The MBA Career management center definitely brings companies to campus looking for interns, links to many that don't come to campus, and many other resources.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:46:29 PM)
Parvez: Most concentrations are 3 electives. Our entrepreneurs usually take Entrep. and Adv Entrep. plus another course like VC and Private Equity. Some even do a directed study to work on their business plans.

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:46:53 PM)
Dear Sriram, every resume and application is fully reviewed---there are, of course, reasons that someone may have a longer resume and we do often see that in the sciences and that makes sense. Having said that, we want to make sure that we understand the essence of your work responsibilities so if you can provide that to us in a bullet point or abbreviated format, that is very helpful---after all, we review the resume in combination with all other aspects of the application---essays, recommendations, transcript, etc.

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:47:03 PM)
Vinay- we do not currently have any VC internships posted. However, we do get them from time to time. With those types of searches we work with students on an individual basis and rely on our great alumni network. We have found that students who have been successful with niche career searches have worked closely with our office, the alumni community, and faculty. Anneee can address your question about the timing of starting your concentration.

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:47:04 PM)
Ashok - Emory like any other top business school requires great time management and budgeting in order to successfully balance your work and fun. People should not get the impression that graduate school is simply an extension of undergrad but that it's a chance to really develop and stretch yourself both personally and professionally in order that you can lead and excel in the area of your choice. Emory is a very collaborative place. Although people are extremely smart and ambitious, people are exceptionally warm, friendly and interested in the success of others.

Anu_Gupta (Jan 14, 2008 1:47:16 PM)
Anne: While going through the website, I encountered marketing and finance case competition opportunities but not strategy case competitions. Are such initiatives in the pipeline?

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:48:18 PM)
Anu: No strategy competitions in the pipeline as of now. But we sponsor an Emory team to compete in one at U of Southern Cal...it's focused on consulting.

Colin (Jan 14, 2008 1:48:57 PM)
Anne: I know that Emory University has the nation's, if not the world's, strongest WOCN program in nursing, and WOCNs make most of the big decisions at large hospitals. Is there any way to tailor one's MBA to Management particular to the health care industry (or any other industry such as energy, communications, etc)?

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:49:16 PM)
GJoshi: Unfortunately, we do not publish firm specific placement information. Is there a specific firm that you are considering?

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:49:25 PM)
Vinay: You start working on your concentration whenever you start taking electives...that means your second semester in the 2 year program.

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:50:49 PM)
Hello Sriram, in terms of the Private Equity Center, the Dean is very keen on this initiative and is in the process of hiring a Center Director----that person will coordinate faculty research and faculty conferences in this area---in addition, the individual who made this donation regularly meets with students for one-on-one appointments if they are interested in a career in private equity or with a hedge fund.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:51:00 PM)
Colin: Yes - we do have a strong WOCN program at Emory! Our MBAs that are interested in Healthcare often customize by taking courses at Rolling School for Public Health, directed studies, case competitions with pharma cos, and in-house classes like Biotech Marketing where you work with scientists getting projects from lab to market.

Ramit (Jan 14, 2008 1:51:34 PM)
Anne: What about Goizueta Plus and GALA?

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:52:42 PM)
BSCHOOLBOUND - Funny, you ask. I am actually in New York right now visiting with friends and attending a wedding. I am very open to returning to New York City but I am also considering staying in Atlanta or returning to my hometown Houston depending on various opportunities that may play out. After Atlanta, New York has the most Goizueta alum so if you are interested in returning to New York, there are many alumni to reach out to in New York City. Also, we have Annual Marketing Treks to New York. Keosha, correct me if I'm wrong but the placement rate in the northeast is around 18% (many of which I imagine includes the NYC metro area) so you would hardly be in the minority if you wish to work in New York.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:53:01 PM)
Sanpiyang: We don't have energy specific courses...but we have course that do some in-depth study on energy. Like our international accounting course. And we have participated in the Energy Finance case competition at UT Austin for the last two years. And one of our core profs is a former CFO of a large energy company.

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:53:08 PM)
Dear Shally, we welcome applications after the Dec. 15th deadline from int'l students...however, the key reason for this deadline is so that we (the MBA Admissions Committee) will have time to review international applicants for a limited number of in-person interviews that we conduct in cities throughout the world---in India, China, Japan, Korea, etc. In addition, if an international application is admitted, that will give them plenty of time to prepare their visa, etc.

Florence (Jan 14, 2008 1:53:46 PM)
Julie: What is the best way to be ready for b-school from day 1?  I plan to take the baseline Statistics and Accounting courses recommended, if admitted to Goizueta (background in business). I want to make sure I spend the prior months as advantageously as possible.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:54:17 PM)
Goizueta PLUS is our professional communications course...great opportunities to practice those skills that can differentiate you in the marketplace. GALA is the Advanced Leadership Academy for second year who are interested in doing in-depth leadership training.

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:54:18 PM)
Dear Anu Gupta, I just wanted to add that most students interested in Consulting participate in our Marketing and Strategy Consultancy---it's a fabulous learning experience.

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:54:21 PM)
Sriram: To my knowledge, the search is on for someone to lead the PE Center. The mission of the center is to be at the forefront of academic/industry thought as it relates to PE. As soon as everything is in place there will be a large-scale roll-out and the information will be available on our website.

Applicant (Jan 14, 2008 1:54:49 PM)
Keosha,could you please highlight the placement opportunities available to international candidates who graduate out of the 1 year format?  I am asking this since the placement reports do not specify the same. Also we have to take the visa issue in to consideration. Thanks.

Samer (Jan 14, 2008 1:54:51 PM)
How do employers view students out of the 1yr program as compared to the 2yr program? Are salaries, job titles similar for students out of both programs? Many thanks!

Ramit (Jan 14, 2008 1:55:12 PM)
Julie: Does having entrepreneurial experience like running your own organization help a person's case at Emory?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:56:30 PM)
Dear Florence, I think if you prepare by taking the Statistics and Accounting on-line courses, you should be in really good shape. Based on the feedback I receive from faculty, the biggest challenge that a lot of students have is getting up to speed with the quantitative skills that they had in undergraduate school---you want those skills to be refreshed prior to the start of b-school!

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:56:38 PM)
Ashok: We're addressing a lot of those issues in the new curriculum. MBAs everywhere have a hard time integrating the individual disciplines of business together when trying to solve a business problem...at Emory our new Management Practice course will help MBAs do that integration. So you can hit the ground running when you get a tough challenge on the job.

MMM (Jan 14, 2008 1:57:25 PM)
Anne: Does the curriculum provide any time for creating your own studies? For example, targeting a market or topic of your choice?

Ramit (Jan 14, 2008 1:58:04 PM)
Julie: Do you accept the 3 year Indian degree?

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:58:12 PM)
MMM: Yes...the directed study project does just that. You propose a topic that you want to study, you find a professor with similar expertise, and you can make it a customized class just for you.

Ramit (Jan 14, 2008 1:58:46 PM)
Keosha: Is the current US slowdown having a steep impact on the Students at Emory?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:58:54 PM)
Dear Ramit, The MBA Admissions Committee certainly values someone with entrepreneurial experience and understands how difficult it can be to be successful in that area---in your essays be sure and discuss any challenges you have faced.....how you addressed those issues and what you've learned from those experiences. In addition, if you plan to transition post MBA into a corporate role, be sure and discuss what skills you've gained in your work that will make you a good fit for that corporate position.

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:59:13 PM)
Parvez: The great thing about B-School is that students come in having had a variety of work experiences. Since being here at Emory I have seen a number of students with non-traditional backgrounds. The key is selecting the right program to help you with your long-term career objectives. For example, if you want to make a major switch to Investment Banking, then you would benefit from the internship that the two-year program allows you to do. We've had a professional swimmer who had an investment banking internship and then ended up working as a sports agent.

Ramit (Jan 14, 2008 1:59:31 PM)
Keosha: Tell us something about the CECG also. I am interested in entrepreneurship concentration. How good is the placement scenario for students undertaking this particular concentration?

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 1:59:44 PM)
Sriram: It's the way that you can create your own class. You pick the topic, work with a professor with similar interested, and it's a class that's solely your own.

sunny ahuja (Jan 14, 2008 1:59:59 PM)
Hello Anne, can one pursue a double concentration in a one year program?

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:00:18 PM)
SANPIYANG - Although Emory does not offer energy specific courses as Anne pointed out, my economics professor from my first semester worked in the energy sector for many years for an investment bank, and I would imagine that he would have many contacts. I could give you some more information on this offline if you contact me by e-mail. Also, there are no clubs or programs like say UT Austin (I went there as an undergrad) geared to energy trading but we have a great alumni database that offers additional opportunities to find people who may work at specific companies in the energy sector that you are considering.

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:00:20 PM)
Dear Ramit, yes, we will review candidates with the 3 year Indian degree (you can find a detailed answer to this question on our web site under Admissions)...having said that, many of our applicants from India have an additional year of graduate study and/or a Masters degree in another discipline.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:00:29 PM)
Sunny: Yes - you can do two concentrations in the One Year Program. You have plenty of space for electives to do that.

Jp (Jan 14, 2008 2:01:53 PM)
Hi Judd. You said that beyond academics, you have enjoyed Atlanta a lot. What are your recommendations for moving to Atlanta? Is a car necessary? Do you recommend living off-campus?

Ramit (Jan 14, 2008 2:02:09 PM)
Julie: Do you prefer diversity in a person's work profile? I know Diversity is one of the core values at GBS. How do you define diversity?

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:02:20 PM)
Shally: Unfortunately, I do not have that statistic on hand. What I can tell you is that we work with students individually to help them meet their career objectives. Do you have specific companies/positions that you are targeting?

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:02:25 PM)
Max: Our leadership program is unique in that is 1) for everyone 2) experiential in its design 3) part of a school-wide initiative to develop leadership training at Goizueta and 4) holistic in its approach.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 2:03:58 PM)
Judd: Who are you favorite professors? What have been your best classes?

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:05:35 PM)
Applicant: We track this number closely and over the past several years there has not been a significant difference in the number of placement opportunities open to international students in the one and two year programs. When companies recruit on campus they do not differentiate between the two programs. Does that answer your question?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:05:46 PM)
Dear Ramit, yes, diversity is one of our core values and we do seek to enroll a diverse group of students---along a wide variety of dimensions. As a small program (the smallest enrollment among the top 25 programs), it's especially important that we proactively recruit and enroll a diverse group of students. In terms of diversity in an applicant's work profile--that can be a positive or a negative depending on a lot of different factors---frankly, it really depends on what the applicant says in their application about this diversity.....sometimes it makes a lot of sense and can add so much to class discussions.....or sometimes the applicant doesn't explain their career path/choices very well and we are assumed that they are scattered in their path and hence, have no career depth to share.

Deeps (Jan 14, 2008 2:06:21 PM)
Julie: This question might have been asked tons of times but does being in 80% range for GMAT ensure that your application will be considered? Also does Emory admit students with 2 years of WE (considering the fact that the avg no. of WE is 5 years)?

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 2:07:36 PM)
The Goizueta reps have graciously agreed to extend until 2:30 PM . Thank you!

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:07:42 PM)
Linda - Honestly, all the professors I have had met or exceeded my expectations. My favorite has been "Dr. Z", my marketing professor who is actually leading one of the leadweeks this year in Southeast Asia, and my LPO (Leading People and Organizations) professor Michael Sachs. He is an incredibly engaging and witty professor.

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:08:24 PM)
Samer: Employers do not differentiate between the programs. One-year students apply for the same opportunities as two-year students. Any differences in salary or title would be as a result of previous experience, not program format.

Pooja (Jan 14, 2008 2:08:32 PM)
Hi Keosha. I have completed my bachelors in Economics and Masters in computers. My question to you is: How difficult is it to get a job after doing a 1Y MBA from Emory in finance with no prior finance experience?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:09:02 PM)
Thank you for asking! ALL applications are fully read and therefore fully considered....a candidate does not have to be in the 80% to be reviewed and that in no way means that they'll be admitted....or even wait listed...we look at the entire application. And yes, we do admit applicants with two years of work---but we expect it to meaningful...in a sense that that candidate can "hold their own" in an MBA class room at Goizueta.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 2:09:19 PM)
Anne, Emory promises a program that is both flexible and integrated. Is there a certain tension or conflict between those two qualities and if so, how do you manage that?

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:09:32 PM)
Ramit: As of now, we have not felt a tremendous impact on our students. The most impact has been felt in full-time Investment Banking recruiting. However, this is the same for all schools. Firms are starting to rely more on their summer classes for full-time hiring.

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:09:33 PM)
Dear bt, We are very familiar with the fact that consultants work on a lot of different projects and hence, have acquired a lot of different skills in their jobs....we don't need to know the exact 10 areas.

GJoshi (Jan 14, 2008 2:09:46 PM)
Keosha: I am specifically interested in Emory's placement at Lehman Brothers.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:09:50 PM)
Linda: We have taken the approach to provide flexibility in choice of classes, but integration in terms of learning how to bring the academic pieces together. Integration is the emphasis of Management Practice...where students will practice putting the disciplines together in solving business problems.

Florence (Jan 14, 2008 2:10:45 PM)
Judd: I am planning a trip to visit Goizueta if admitted. I believe it will provide me with a better feel of the place as well as help me, calculate the cost of possibly relocating to Atlanta. Please do you have any thoughts on the subject?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:11:48 PM)
Prospective 08....you are likely to hear a response within 4-8 weeks of submitting a completed application ..right now we are pretty swamped with applications so individuals are hearing in about 4-6 weeks....but it can be shorter....as you know, we have a rolling process so we send files to be read by a Committee member as soon as they are deemed complete.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:12:05 PM)
Aksrini: Our consultants take a lot of strategy and a lot of decision analysis courses. Layer in some change management and other management courses too - and you are well prepared. Our consulting students usually have a hard time choosing between all of the classes they feel will prepare them for consulting.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 2:12:15 PM)
Julie: Goizueta has already had two deadlines this year. How does application volume compare to application volume last year?

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:12:22 PM)
Bain interviews on campus and McKinsey does resume drops.

Vinayak (Jan 14, 2008 2:12:41 PM)
Keosha: With the fear of recession looming large in US, can it make an adverse impact on the recruitments in 2008 and 2009? Also, since Emory has the huge advantage of its location in Atlanta, its rich business climate, do you think the fear of recession is not a thing to be worried about at Emory at all?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:12:46 PM)
Linda, our application volume is "up" this year....as most of our competitors (other top tier programs).

Jp (Jan 14, 2008 2:13:17 PM)
Anne: Are there opportunities to learn foreign languages at Goizueta?  I am especially interested in Mandarin.

Applicant (Jan 14, 2008 2:13:34 PM)
Dear Julie- I read on the website that students have to pay $90 for verification process. What does that include - checking with the employer/colleges etc? Thanks.

ColinK (Jan 14, 2008 2:13:51 PM)
Thank you for extending!

sunny ahuja (Jan 14, 2008 2:14:01 PM)
Reps: Thanks for the kind gesture.

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:14:44 PM)
FLORENCE - I can not emphasize enough the importance of attending a Welcome Weekend if you are admitted or at least visiting Atlanta and sitting in a class at Emory to get a feel for the place. Although I have friends from Emory or Atlanta, I had never been in Atlanta before Welcome Weekend, so I did not know what to expect. The entire experience in the great city of Atlanta and at Emory during Welcome Weekend really opened my eyes and won me over.

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:15:17 PM)
Dear Applicant, After an applicant has been admitted and prior to their enrollment, their prior employment, their undergraduate degree (school attended, major, etc.) and one of their recommendations is verified by an outside professional service.

Florence (Jan 14, 2008 2:15:21 PM)
Anne: Change Management is not a core course at Goizueta, but given some of the problems in the present Economy, it seems to me that certain sectors are facing fundamental change in structure, to prevent collapse( healthcare, social security) or more collateral damage (real estate). Are you planning to make this a bigger focus in the future? It is helpful to feel prepared to manage change?

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:15:37 PM)
Pooja: If you have not had any work experience in finance it will be difficult for you to get a job in finance without an internship. If you have to do the one-year program then I would suggest doing an academic year internship to gain some experience. Even then, you will not really be able to interview until the spring. The best thing would be the two-year program.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:15:46 PM)
JP: Yes - you can study Mandarin here. MBAs can enroll in undergraduate language courses as space permits. I would talk with any students interested in languages and we would talk through how to fit this in with your schedule. And starting with the new curriculum...up to 2 language course will count towards the MBA...exact details are still being worked out.

sunny ahuja (Jan 14, 2008 2:15:57 PM)
Anne: Can someone go as far as tailoring their classes to go beyond the concentrations that Emory offers?

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:16:18 PM)
Pooja: I agree with Keosha - the two year would be better for your career goals.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:16:47 PM)
Sunny Ahuja: Not sure I understand your question...can you clarify?

max (Jan 14, 2008 2:17:00 PM)
Keosha: I am interested in management consulting; what companies recruit at Emory and what is the profile?

Joro (Jan 14, 2008 2:17:25 PM)
Anne: What are the favorite exchange-semester destinations for Goizueta students? When do students typically join an exchange program during their 2 years at business school?

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:17:27 PM)
GJoshi: While I cannot give the placement numbers for Lehman, I can tell you that we have a relationship with them and have students interviewing there this and last week.

sunny ahuja (Jan 14, 2008 2:18:00 PM)
What I mean is tailor the course to meet specific job requirements?

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:18:10 PM)
Joro: Our most popular destinations for exchange locations are Europe and Latin America. Most 2 years do their semester exchange in the 3rd semester.

Caio Avelino (Jan 14, 2008 2:18:21 PM)
Hi Julie, If an application is sent completed in May/08, will it still be considered for fall/08?

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:18:39 PM)
We have the relationships. You should focus on developing the necessary skills to compete for an Investment Banking internship. The opportunities will be available to you as a Goizueta student.

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:18:45 PM)
Dear Karan, We welcome re-applicants to our program and when we review those files, we are very appreciative of their continued interest in Goizueta ---so in that regard, it's a plus! However, we do expect that their application has been strengthened since their initial application---that they have progressed further in their career--taken on more responsibilities in their job for example, or strengthened their quantitative preparation (as evidenced by an improved GMAT, for example) or have other, new and stronger credentials to present to the MBA Admissions Committee.

Karan (Jan 14, 2008 2:19:04 PM)
Annee: What is the average class size and how do students work to grow together?

sunny ahuja (Jan 14, 2008 2:19:35 PM)
Judd: What is the best thing about the school of business?

max (Jan 14, 2008 2:19:50 PM)
Keosha: I am interested in Management consulting post MBA. which programs can help me in my career goal?

MBA Aspirant (Jan 14, 2008 2:20:01 PM)
Anne: Does the school make leaders or it just hones leadership skills?

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:20:37 PM)
Sunny Ahuja: I think I will say what I say to students in our academic advising sessions. Take the courses that make sense for what you want to do. Don't limit yourself to what might be listed as satisfying a certain concentration. So a student might have the PERFECT combination of courses for what they want to do - and find that they don't meet the requirements of a concentration at all. Which is 100% OK...concentrations are not required.

Ramit (Jan 14, 2008 2:21:08 PM)
Julie: What is more important in a person's work profile. If a person has worked with a large corporation but had limited leadership opportunities... or if a person has worked with a small start up and has had a no of serious leadership opportunities. Who stands a better chance

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:21:13 PM)
SUNNY - I am not sure I completely know how to answer your question. Do you mean the business school itself or relative to other business schools?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:21:15 PM)
Dear Caio Avenlino, Yes, whenever an application is complete, we review that file, even if it is past our deadline. However, if you apply in May 2008 your application will be considered on a space-available basis and if our class is full (as it was for Fall 2007) you will not be offered an admit, even if you might have been offered an admission if you had applied on time. If at all possible, try and get your file submitted by March 1, 2008.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:22:01 PM)
MBA Aspirant: You get the prize for the philosophical question of the day! :-) I think both. The MBA experience has a way of making students better at what they are already pretty good at...AND a way of helping students realized strengths that they didn't know they had.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 2:22:58 PM)
Julie: Do you have any tips for waitlisted applicants?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:23:02 PM)
Dear Ramit, as you know, there are a lot of other factors that are also considered in a person's file...but, of course, the work experience is a very, very important element---I would say that any position where you have the opportunity to assume leadership and therefore demonstrate your initiative is more impressive to the Committee.

sunny ahuja (Jan 14, 2008 2:23:57 PM)
Julie: How important is the undergrad institution?  The a bigger name weigh heavily in the admissions process?

Vinay (Jan 14, 2008 2:24:12 PM)
Keosha: Could you please give some data about VC firms offers at Goizueta?

sunny ahuja (Jan 14, 2008 2:24:23 PM)
Judd: On an average how much free time does a student get in a week?

sanpiyang (Jan 14, 2008 2:24:43 PM)
Judd: May I write to you to your@texas.net mail address for the energy trading staff? Thanks.

MBA Aspirant (Jan 14, 2008 2:24:47 PM)
That is a pretty philosophical answer...

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:24:55 PM)
Several tips for wait listed candidates---1) be sure and let us know that you want to remain on our wait list---that is, complete our wait list form! 2) when you complete the wait list form, you will be contacted by a member of the admissions committee and they will give you specific advice about what you might be able to do (if there is anything that you can do) to enhance your application. You should follow up on their advice if at all possible.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 2:25:42 PM)
Julie: Does Goizueta encourage early career applicants to apply?  Does it require a minimum amount of experience?

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 2:26:23 PM)
Anne, could you tell us about the opportunities for international study at Emory?

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:27:07 PM)
Dear Sunny, while we certainly note where you attended undergraduate school, the bigger name schools in and of themselves are not a key advantage for a candidate...it all depends on how well you did there (we always look at class rank where it's given) and a stronger record at a lesser known school is noteworthy.....the most important element of the application are the quality of your work and leadership experiences.

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:27:08 PM)
Vinayak: It's hard to say at this point what the extent of the recession will be and how it may impact us. We strive to maintain very personal relationships with all of our corporate partners so that if something like this happens when they are reviewing their list of schools they will remember their great experiences at Goizueta with the students and CMC. Our location does help as we have strong relationships with the companies in Atlanta.

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:27:13 PM)
Sunny - haha...that's a toughie. It really depends on how much time you want to invest into the MBA experience. Also, it really goes back to time management. I don't mean to avoid the question but every student is different depending on what he or she wants out of the experience and no week is the same! You will be busy but it will be a very fulfilling experience if you spend your time wisely.

Ramit (Jan 14, 2008 2:27:36 PM)
Julie: How do you decide on scholarships for students?

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:27:44 PM)
Linda: Sure. We have international lead weeks where students are abroad for 2-3 weeks and study business in that area. We have summer & semester long exchange programs, and we have year long dual-degree programs with 3 schools.

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:28:06 PM)
MBA applicants should have at least a year of full time work experience--unless they're applying to one of our joint degree programs.

ColinK (Jan 14, 2008 2:28:17 PM)
Judd: Do most of your peers work while they are going to full time school? Would you recommend a prospective student to not work the first semester and concentrate fully on school? What's your take?

sunny ahuja (Jan 14, 2008 2:28:38 PM)
Judd: What I mean is what is the one distinct aspect of Emory's bus. school that separates it from the rest?

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:28:44 PM)
SANPIYANG - sure thing.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:29:38 PM)
ColinK: Working during the first year of the MBA program is strongly discouraged...you have way too much going on to do it. I worked all through undergrad - but there was no way to do that same thing through B-school. It's a different world...

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:29:40 PM)
Dear Ramit, scholarships are merit-based and are used as a recruiting tool to assist the MBA Admissions Committee in enrolling the "best and brightest" class that we can from around the globe. The 3 key criteria for scholarship awards are: quality of work experience---demonstrated leadership ---and, academic preparation (GMAT and undergraduate grades).

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 2:29:59 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Julie, Anne, Keosha, Vineet, and Judd for taking the time to answer all these questions.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 2:30:05 PM)
Upcoming chats:

• UCLA Jan. 24, 2008 
  • UNC Jan. 30, 2008 
  • Consortium Feb. 5, 2008

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:30:19 PM)
Sunny - I'll give you two. Super tight-knit community where you get to make many quality relationships with your fellow students and professor as well as the ample opportunities to take on leadership roles and to make a difference.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 2:30:21 PM)
Good luck with your applications!

JulieBarefootEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:30:24 PM)
We look forward to reviewing your applications and welcome your interest in Goizueta!

Florence (Jan 14, 2008 2:30:29 PM)
Thanks so much for responding to more questions, by extending the time.

AnneDriesEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:30:31 PM)
Good luck to all!

Karan (Jan 14, 2008 2:30:32 PM)
Thank you Linda.

JuddEisenbergEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:30:47 PM)
Thanks you for joining us. It was a pleasure!

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:31:28 PM)
Max- All of the top management consulting firms recruit at Goizueta. The profile varies in terms of previous experience. GMATs are typically 690 and above. Networking with the consulting alums is very important with these companies.

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:31:50 PM)
Good luck to everyone!

Vinay (Jan 14, 2008 2:31:59 PM)
Sorry for pushing this one. Can anyone answer about my question on VC firm's offers at Goizueta? What are the data available??

KeoshaMoonEMORY (Jan 14, 2008 2:35:09 PM)
Vinay, this number varies from year to year with student interest (highly variable, given our class size). Last year we did not have anyone to go to a VC firm. Again, the key here is that we will help you in whatever your career search you decide to undertake. We have many resources at our disposal to help students such as yourself.

Linda Abraham (Jan 14, 2008 2:35:58 PM)
Good luck to all of you!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room