2008 UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions Chat with Lydia Heyman

2008 UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions Chat with Lydia Heyman

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 1:00:59 PM)
Hello Everyone. We will start in just a minute. Where are you all from?

hm (Jan 24, 2008 1:01:30 PM)
Denver.

amy (Jan 24, 2008 1:01:31 PM)
Hi Linda. Los Angeles.

radek (Jan 24, 2008 1:01:34 PM)
Hi everyone! Greetings from Amsterdam.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 1:01:47 PM)
I love the international nature of chats.

jhy (Jan 24, 2008 1:01:55 PM)
NYC.

Matt (Jan 24, 2008 1:01:57 PM)
San Francisco.

Sam (Jan 24, 2008 1:02:00 PM)
Orange County.

Claire (Jan 24, 2008 1:02:03 PM)
Hello everyone, I am from Taiwan.

louis (Jan 24, 2008 1:02:08 PM)
Montreal.

dev (Jan 24, 2008 1:02:10 PM)
New Delhi.

Fernando (Jan 24, 2008 1:02:13 PM)
Hi Linda. I am from Peru but live in Berkeley, CA.

aspiringMBA (Jan 24, 2008 1:02:15 PM)
NYC too.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 1:02:37 PM)
Thanks for your responses. Let's start.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 1:02:38 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat.  First I want to welcome all applicants to the UCLA Anderson chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about the Anderson MBA program . Whether you are working hard on your application to prepare for UCLA’s next deadline on February 20, or you are doing research with the intention of submitting later, you need to know as much as you can to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice. Being here today allows you to ask the UCLA experts about this outstanding business school.  I also want to welcome the UCLA representatives who have agreed to participate today.

• Lydia Heyman, UCLA Anderson's Interim Director of Admissions 
• Craig Hubbell, Associate Director of Admissions 
• Jessica Chung, Associate Director of Admissions

Welcome. Thanks to everyone for joining.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 1:04:49 PM)
Lydia, I'll start. What makes an application stand out in a positive way as you go through piles of them?

amy (Jan 24, 2008 1:05:07 PM)
Craig: What % of students have been accepted, waitlisted and denied during round 1?

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 1:05:36 PM)
By the way, I am going to distinguish between the two Jessica's as JL and JC. I hope that's OK. It will make life much easier for my fingers.

hm (Jan 24, 2008 1:06:00 PM)
Is this chat also for EMBA applicants?

Tina (Jan 24, 2008 1:07:01 PM)
JC: When can Round 2 applicants begin to expect interview invites or decisions?

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:07:11 PM)
Thanks Linda, that will definitely make things less confusing!

CrazyUmbrella (Jan 24, 2008 1:07:12 PM)
JL: Is an interview required for admission, and what do you hope to learn from the applicant during an interview that you didn't glean from the application?

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:07:50 PM)
As we review applications, we are checking academics: GPA, Test score, major and school. We are also looking at years of work experience, right off the top. These are quantifiers which prompt us to look closer.

tho (Jan 24, 2008 1:08:10 PM)
Lydia: I understand applications have increased significantly this year. How has that impacted the interview/admissions process (if any)?

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:09:54 PM)
Hi Tho, indeed, applications for Fall 2008 admission are up significantly. Unlike last year, this year interviews are by invitation only.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 1:10:47 PM)
Lydia, following up on your response, I noticed that UCLA is encouraging early career applicants to apply. If years of work experience is a factor, how does that affect less experienced applicants?

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:10:54 PM)
Amy, we do not typically release such statistics, mainly because we do not want applicants to focus on unknowable "odds" for admission. Instead it is most important to focus on making yourself as distinctive as possible vs. others who may share your profile. Those are the candidates in your competitive "pool" and you need to show how you stand out above the crowd. In general, we are seeing roughly the same numbers of people reaching admit or waitlist status as in years past.

amy (Jan 24, 2008 1:11:05 PM)
Craig: What advice would you give to applicants who have been waitlisted? What is the best way for an applicant to let Anderson know that it is their first choice school?

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:11:10 PM)
Tina: We are currently reviewing Round 2 applications, and have recently started contacting applicants to schedule interviews. You can expect to be contacted for an interview at anytime before the decision deadline for Round 2, which is March 28th. Decisions for this round will be sent out no later than this date as well.

Sam (Jan 24, 2008 1:11:31 PM)
JC: Are there fewer slots available to applicants for the February 20 deadline?

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:14:30 PM)
CrazyUmbrella, let me take your question since JL is not available at this moment. Yes, an interview is required for admission, and we invite likely candidates to interview either on-campus or in their home city with one of our alumni. Interviews are important as we check out your communication skills and listen for your passion, focus and fit with our culture. We see your whole story on paper, and the interview is your chance to bring it to life in person, and show your level of excitement for a potential UCLA MBA opportunity.

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:16:28 PM)
Linda, with respect to Early Career, there is a trend among B-Schools to take more applicants who have little work experience. These applicants must be stellar in every other way: really high GPAs, great schools, high, high test scores, lots of extra curriculars, internships while as an undergrad, etc. We just looked at several "Early Career" applicants last week from our Round 1. They all received close and careful consideration as well.

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:16:34 PM)
Sam: We typically receive the most applications during Rounds 1 & 2, and spaces for the upcoming Fall term tend to be filled significantly from these rounds. Thus, we always encourage applicants to apply early if possible. Since we've admitted many applicants by the time the deadlines for Round 3 & 4 roll around, it's generally more competitive at this time. However, we do admit some applicants in Rounds 3 & 4, just not as many as the first two.

Krishna (Jan 24, 2008 1:16:43 PM)
Lydia: Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to do this chat, my question is - given the same application, in general, is it easier to get in to the FEMBA program rather than the full time MBA, and is the FEMBA degree the same as full time? Thank you.

radek (Jan 24, 2008 1:16:55 PM)
JC: Hello UCLA team. I learned that you've seen a record number of applications for the second round this year. Can you advise when will you be circulating your decisions?

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:17:20 PM)
Amy, waitlisted applicants should keep us updated via the link in the waitlist email, letting us know if there is any change in your status or if there is something new to add (e.g. your impressions from a school visit). The key word here is indeed "wait" because our committee needs time to evaluate all the candidates to date to determine relative competitiveness. Anything you can add to make yourself distinctive when we regularly come back to revisit the waitlist can work to your advantage.

amy (Jan 24, 2008 1:17:53 PM)
Craig: Is it possible to contact the admissions office to see what weaknesses an applicant has in their application that put them on the waitlist? That way, the applicant could address this weakness directly.

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:19:13 PM)
Radek, this is true - applications for round 2 are up this year! You can expect to hear from us on or before the decision deadline, which is March 28th.

Claire (Jan 24, 2008 1:19:32 PM)
JC: I think UCLA changed the interview policy to invitation only this year, so most of international applicants who were invited do alumni interview instead of on-campus interview?

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:19:45 PM)
Amy, we cannot give feedback in the middle of the admissions season, since we are so busy reading applications. Hopefully you know already what areas were not the strongest in your application, and we always like to see pro-active efforts to address these areas (e.g. a GMAT re-take if that is a potential area of concern).

amy (Jan 24, 2008 1:20:18 PM)
Thanks Craig.

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:21:30 PM)
JFM, our crystal ball is pretty good, but not good enough to predict the competitive nature of an application round which will not close for another month. All we can say now is that it seems our school is more popular than ever, and it's nice to be appreciated for our strengths!

Tina (Jan 24, 2008 1:21:44 PM)
Craig: What % of applicants do you aim to interview? Is the interview more of a filter or more of a check to ensure no red flags?

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:22:06 PM)
Hi Krishna, With respect to the competitiveness of FEMBA vs. our full-time MBA Program: The full-time MBA Program receives far more applications and so just based on numbers of apps, it would appear that it is more difficult to gain admission to the fulltime program. That said, our FEMBA Program --- just ranked #1 by Business Week of all part time programs, places a little more weight on work experience. The degrees are all the same: your diploma would not distinguish between fulltime MBA, FEMBA or EMBA.

dev (Jan 24, 2008 1:22:40 PM)
Lydia: For international students, visiting Anderson may be a problem. So how can we show interest in Anderson??

radek (Jan 24, 2008 1:23:04 PM)
Thank you, Jessica.

Krishna (Jan 24, 2008 1:23:40 PM)
Thank you Lydia.

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:24:23 PM)
Claire, most international applicants who are invited for an interview will conduct the interview locally with an Anderson alumnus, especially since it can be inconvenient to travel over to our offices. However, some applicants choose to fly out and conduct the interview on campus. We give you the option of either one :)

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:25:54 PM)
Hi Dev: There are several ways you can show your interest: seek out an alum in your area; attend one of our many events (we travel throughout the world so hopefully, we are closer in proximity to you.) Participate in chats just like this! Attempt to make contact with us via e-mail and in your essays, please make sure that you are focused and that you really do your homework in terms of knowing UCLA Anderson.

Josh (Jan 24, 2008 1:26:40 PM)
Lydia: Is there an advantage to coming to LA for the interview as opposed to doing it with an alumni in my home city? I have already visited the campus in December.

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:26:41 PM)
Tina, we have no percentage or quota in mind -- we just go through our rolling admissions process and find viable candidates with whom we would like to have further discussions. The interview is no guarantee of admission, but hopefully we will use everybody's time to best effect by focusing on those who do have a good chance for admission. Sometimes there are issues in the application which we want to double-check during the interview (and certainly we always check fluency for non-native English speakers), but ideally the interview would just be a fun chat with an Anderson network member who can exchange views with an applicant like the word "interview" implies.

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:27:24 PM)
Louis, applications are definitely up across the board this year.

Josh (Jan 24, 2008 1:27:39 PM)
Jessica: What percentage of applicants will receive interviews? And will all interviews be on campus in LA (I am in NY)?

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:30:28 PM)
Josh, we don't have a quota or percentage in mind for interviews - like Craig mentioned, we want to make sure we read every application to find strong candidates that we would like to learn more about!

Tina (Jan 24, 2008 1:30:42 PM)
Jessica: Does the timing of the interview invitation (early vs late) have any indication of the candidate's strength?

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:31:15 PM)
Hi Josh, no, there isn't really an advantage. Our alums who volunteer to interview for us, really want to be a part of the process. They know the school really well and they have been trained by our admissions office on how to conduct the interview. You should feel comfortable and confident with our alums. They too have a vested interest. They want to uphold the reputation of the school and are seeking the very best applicants as well.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 1:31:54 PM)
Lydia, could you tell us about upcoming changes to the core, which I understand is under review this year?

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:34:01 PM)
Ychang, we use our "Round" system to focus our efforts on one big batch of admits at a time. We just completed our Round 1 decisions by last Friday's deadline, and now our full attention is focused on Round 2. Among the hundreds of applications and documents we received by the Round 2 deadline, some files naturally get completed before others as their documents are matched up first with the other elements of the application file. You will certainly be notified about your status soon.

amy (Jan 24, 2008 1:34:13 PM)
Craig: Following up on the interview discussion, why would an applicant be waitlisted without an interview?

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:34:31 PM)
Tina, not at all - due to the sheer volume of applications that we receive, it may take a bit more time for files to go through the admissions committee and the interview channel. We've interviewed really stellar candidates both early on and closer to a decision deadline, so don't worry about that!

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:34:43 PM)
Regarding changes to the core, the curriculum would remain the same. We are considering moving one or two of the core courses currently offered/required during the fall of the first year to later in the academic year- winter or spring quarter.

jones (Jan 24, 2008 1:34:50 PM)
Jessica: Hi! I sent my application form in Round 2 and until now no one answered...Am I out?

Josh (Jan 24, 2008 1:35:06 PM)
Lydia: Are applicants "pooled" together? For example, those that want to go into finance are in one section, those that want entertainment, etc. so you are competing against those that have the same goals as you?

dev (Jan 24, 2008 1:35:21 PM)
Thank you, Lydia.

Josh (Jan 24, 2008 1:36:22 PM)
Great, thank you Lydia.

Tina (Jan 24, 2008 1:36:28 PM)
Great, thanks so much JC!

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 1:38:25 PM)
I apologize, but I just got disconnected. If you had unanswered questions in queue, please repost. Those questions got lost when I was disconnected. Technology is great when it works.

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:38:49 PM)
Amy, after we have a chance to read more Round 2 applications and see the competitive landscape, we will regularly re-visit the wait list to see if there are candidates who look ready to proceed to the next step. That will be when we send out an interview invitation, then we will use that input to help us decide whom we want to admit.

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:39:10 PM)
Hi Josh, we look at each application individually and from there, we might pool together those that share common qualities and select the more distinctive.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 1:39:23 PM)
I have a question for the panelists: What are common and grievous applicant mistakes?

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:39:24 PM)
Hi Jones, Round 2 is typically the round in which we receive the most applications, so don't worry - it may just take a bit of time for us to get to your application!

dev (Jan 24, 2008 1:42:47 PM)
Jessica: What is the percentage of the class getting financial support (scholarships or other grants)? AND do you require compulsory US cosigner?

tyima (Jan 24, 2008 1:43:02 PM)
Lydia: Does a Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management (equivalent of MBA in India), after a 3 year Bachelor degree disqualify a candidate on grounds of "Already an MBA"?

Josh (Jan 24, 2008 1:43:15 PM)
Craig: What type of post-collegiate extra-curricular activities do you see that really strengthen an application?

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:44:19 PM)
Linda, I would say that we are most disappointed when applicants do not their homework on our school. There is so much info that is available on our website or via our publications and people that any applicant should be able to find something exciting to talk about in their essays. We are always looking for a well-constructed bridge to the future, building on past achievements and specific elements in our MBA program in order to achieve clear short- and long-term goals. Generic essays applicable to any school are not very impressive; nor is a failure to show management potential through consistent leadership and impact on any organization the applicant has joined.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 1:45:57 PM)
Thanks Craig. That is a very thoughtful and complete response.

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:47:43 PM)
Dev, on average the top 25% of our students are awarded merit-based fellowships, and roughly 75% receive some form of financial aid (loans, etc). International students are not required to have a US cosigner, but you will need to show proof of collateral.

fall2008Anderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:48:03 PM)
Jessica: Id like to know if not visiting deters my chances. I have attended information sessions off campus and spoke to current students and alumni. I feel i know the program well.. I was not able to visit LA though. I live in the bay area. Would the admissions committee look down on that?

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:48:47 PM)
Hi Tyima, A PGDM is not considered an MBA here at UCLA. In fact, it would be required on top of the 3 year (vs. 4 years in the states) bachelor degree. So it certainly would not disqualify a candidate!

simone (Jan 24, 2008 1:49:06 PM)
Lydia: Besides taking electives in the real estate concentration, what other opportunities are there for students interested in a real estate focus at Anderson?

tyima (Jan 24, 2008 1:49:19 PM)
Thank you so much Lydia, that sure helps clear the ambiguity!

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:50:32 PM)
Josh, we always like to see people with a sustained commitment to an organization and making a difference. It could be any type of community, religious, alumni, etc. group -- the key thing is to show your management potential by helping to organize and inspire others -- maybe by structuring events or expanding programs or even founding a new group. We use extra-curriculars as a gauge of character and the ability to contribute to our active student life here; just being a member of a bunch of organizations would not really help demonstrate potential.

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:51:55 PM)
Hi Simone, other opportunities would include "internships" with real estate corporations, doing an AMR (Applied Management Research) Project in your second year with a real estate firm, and taking advantage of the connections and events hosted by the Ziman Real Estate Center here within the business school.

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:52:06 PM)
fall2008Anderson - not at all! We encourage applicants to come for a class visit to help you learn more about Anderson and experience our collaborative and friendly culture for yourself. It can also help you to delineate why you'd be a good fit for our program in your essays, but we don't take points off if you do not do a class visit. You can learn as much by attending info sessions and speaking with students/alumni :)

amy (Jan 24, 2008 1:52:28 PM)
Jessica: If an applicant is waitlisted, does that impact any potential merit-based fellowships that applicant might receive?

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:54:07 PM)
Tho, our placement stats are a testimonial to the transformative strength of our program in the personal AND professional development of our students. In our challenging but supportive culture, students learn to figure out their passions, then turn them into an action plan to pursue a sequence of goals. Our Parker Career Management Center is a great resource for helping students develop their job-hunting and networking skills, as well as bringing recruiters to campus and also coaching people on how to conduct their own search for their dream job.

atl_mba (Jan 24, 2008 1:54:21 PM)
Craig: In regards to consistent leadership and impact on our current organizations, how do you go about relating experience in careers where performance is hard to quantify, such as public accounting, to those in marketing/finance etc?

dev (Jan 24, 2008 1:54:30 PM)
Thank you, Jessica.

fall2008Anderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:54:36 PM)
Thanks Jessica! That helped!

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:55:34 PM)
Hi Keyrock, You are correct in noting that there are many career switchers. The MBA and Anderson School experience is supposed to allow for this. We do not have reservations regarding complete 180s as long as the applicant has a clear plan and is focused on how he/she intends to accomplish the switch. This needs to come across in essays.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 1:56:18 PM)
Lydia: Do you have any tips for those invited to interview at UCLA?

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:57:29 PM)
atl_mba, we evaluate every application in context, so we know that some careers do not lend themselves to leadership action early on. Therefore we would look more at extra-curriculars in college and beyond to find signs of management potential among, say, Wall St. analysts or auditors. We even keep in mind the amount of spare time that certain jobs leave a person, and we look at what applicants are able to achieve in the time they have.

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:57:30 PM)
Amy, all admits are considered for merit-based fellowships, and your chances for an award really depends on the overall strength of your application, so being admitted off the waitlist wouldn't be necessarily be a key factor, but instead the overall merits of your application as well as how you compare to the applicant pool this year.

Spkill (Jan 24, 2008 1:57:40 PM)
Jessica: Do you queue applications? In other words, is an application submitted on 12/20 more likely to be read before an application submitted on 1/2? And, if so, will that have an impact on when folks are notified of application completion and an interview?

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 1:57:48 PM)
Tips for those invited to interview: Do your homework! Know that resume. Know the school. Be able to articulate why it is that you want to be here at UCLA. Show some passion and enthusiasm.

amirc (Jan 24, 2008 1:58:27 PM)
Hi Lydia: I was wondering if re-applicants are at a disadvantage...more specifically are applications of new applicants reviewed before those of re-applicants for each respective round? Thanks.

atl_mba (Jan 24, 2008 1:58:36 PM)
Thanks, Craig.

Tina (Jan 24, 2008 2:00:57 PM)
Jessica: The interviewer has read the applicant's entire file prior to interviewing, correct?

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:01:35 PM)
Hi Amirc: Re-apps are not at a disadvantage and are not considered separately. If anything, re-apps should benefit from feedback on the initial application and should be able to demonstrate that the re-application is stronger. Where possible (i.e. test score, lack of work experience) should show improvement in the re-app.

simone (Jan 24, 2008 2:02:33 PM)
Lydia: Is it possible to visit elective classes (such as Real Estate Financing and Investment) during a campus visit?

tho (Jan 24, 2008 2:02:36 PM)
Thanks Craig!

amirc (Jan 24, 2008 2:03:09 PM)
Thanks for the helpful response Lydia.

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:04:15 PM)
Spkill, our admissions office doesn't queue applications, they accumulate and are released to committee after each round deadline. BUT, if a key document is missing (like GMAT score or transcript), then it can be put on hold until all required documents are received. Since we have so many applications to read, invitations for interviews go out as applications are read - thus, some applicants might receive an interview invitation closer to the decision deadline, but it doesn't mean that this person is less competitive.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 2:05:05 PM)
The Anderson team has graciously agreed to extend the chat. So keep your questions coming. I will attempt to post those currently in queue.

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:05:58 PM)
Simone, Yes - it is indeed possible to visit elective classes, just as long we have the instructor's permission beforehand.

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:06:31 PM)
Tina, this is Craig, let me do my best Jessica imitation here... The interviewer has almost never read the file before the interview -- this is especially true for all our off-campus interviews. Even on-campus, the interviewer assignments are random, so you may or may not end up with an officer who has read your file. We prefer it this way, since the interview is best done with a fresh perspective, to let the candidate make his or her case in person. There is no difference between interviewing with an admissions officer or student or alum -- all interviewers are carefully trained on what we are looking for, and they are members of the Anderson community by definition. We all know the type of student we want to admit, to perpetuate the strong UCLA Anderson culture.

fall2008Anderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:06:40 PM)
Lydia: Are younger applicants compared to all the other applicants, including the ones who have 6-7 yrs of work ex... or are they compared to pretty much the same kind of group? The experiences and the number of promotions etc that a younger applicant might have would be much less. Is that taken into account?

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:07:00 PM)
Not bad Craig... :)

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 2:07:10 PM)
I agree.

Josh (Jan 24, 2008 2:07:19 PM)
Jessica: I submitted my application for R2 on 1/1/08 but have not received a link to the "status check" website yet. Do you know why I haven't received this? Was my transcript the only thing I needed to physically mail in?

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:10:04 PM)
Regarding younger or "Early Career" applicants, we initially compared them in our Round 1 pool to other applicants with more work experience. We then compared them as a subset of the entire Round 1 pool. We most likely will do the same.

keyrock (Jan 24, 2008 2:10:21 PM)
Thanks Lydia. One other question for you - I don't have a stellar academic record, but I have gone on to have a lot of success in a very competitive work environment. Do I need to address my bad grades in my essays? The honest reality is that I was just not a very disciplined student, but I have clearly demonstrated discipline in my professional life. This seems relatively obvious if you look at my grades/resume, so I am not sure if anyone really wants to hear me make excuses about my undergrad experience...

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:11:34 PM)
Josh, Round 2 is typically our biggest round, and so will take some time for us to process each application and inform you of any missing items from your file.

atl_mba (Jan 24, 2008 2:11:46 PM)
Jessica: Is the Southeast US generally underrepresented (compared to other US regions) at Anderson due to a lack of applications or weak applications?

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:13:43 PM)
Hi Keyrock, we provide you with an opportunity (Essay #4) in the application to address these aspects of your record. We encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity.

KellyHeintz (Jan 24, 2008 2:14:09 PM)
For Lydia: After submitting the application, is there anything else can we do to demonstrate continued interest in and commitment to Anderson? What are the appropriate ways to stay in touch with the school as applications are being read? Thank you!

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:15:49 PM)
mbabuster, interview invitations will start going out next week, as we are working hard on the piles o' files from Round 2, which we just started reading after our Round 1 decision deadline last Friday. It is not possible to predict when any particular file will make it through our committee for initial review, so interview invitations could go out anytime between next week and Round 2's decision deadline week at the end of March.

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:16:04 PM)
Hi Kelly. Once your application is submitted and all supporting documents have been received, you pretty much need to be patient and stay tuned via e-mail. If we need to contact you, it will be via e-mail.

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:16:22 PM)
atl_mba, one of Anderson's strengths is the diversity of our students in the program. Some years, we have more representation from certain geographical regions than others, but we do always have some students from the southeast :)

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 2:16:54 PM)
Lydia:. How are early-career applicants doing in the program? How are they doing in a job search?

tyima (Jan 24, 2008 2:17:04 PM)
Jessica: Within the same application round, does the timing of application make a difference?

Tina (Jan 24, 2008 2:17:18 PM)
Craig: If we don't hear from the Adcom regarding missing any application materials, then does that mean our application is complete?

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:20:16 PM)
Tina, when your application has been processed, you should get a status email with a link to keep tabs on anything we are missing. We are still matching up thousands of documents with Round 2 application files, but making steady progress, so you should look for that email soon.

tyima (Jan 24, 2008 2:20:35 PM)
Craig: Is it possible to take classes in other streams at UCLA, while at Anderson - while they may not be counted as credits for the course, they'd certainly add to the knowledge base and allow interaction with larger fraternity...

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:20:44 PM)
Tyima, timing of submission within a round doesn't make a difference. So for instance, all Round 1 applications will accumulate up to the Round 1 deadline, then complete files will be released to the admissions committee for review. The key word is "complete" - if we're missing any required documents, like GMAT score, transcript, etc., then your file will be on hold until all required materials are received.

ucla_imcoming (Jan 24, 2008 2:20:57 PM)
Jessica: I had my interview last Saturday with an alum. I applied in round 1 and had received a mail that my decision will come in a while. Does it mean I will be evaluated with R2 applicants too?

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:22:49 PM)
The Dean of the MBA Program and I met with our Early Career students last fall. Impressive group! They are doing quite well, one of the students is a JD/MBA here at UCLA. Naturally, they have some concerns regarding placement but I am confident they will do well.

fall2008Anderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:23:15 PM)
Thanks Lydia, I have another question. I'm currently with my husband in the US and due to visa problems, I'm not allowed to work. I am involved with community activities and I have explained my circumstances in my essay. I'm applying for jobs which I can pursue once I get my work visa. Will this gap in employment deter my chances?

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:23:54 PM)
ucla_imcoming, you're still considered a part of Round 1, and your decision should be sent to you shortly, so keep an eye out for any communication from us :)

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:24:16 PM)
Tyima, some cross-registration is allowed for other UCLA graduate students to take Anderson courses. But we need to preserve our resources mostly for MBA students -- that's part of what makes our tight Anderson community special! We do have concurrent-degree students who bring broader perspectives, and Anderson students can readily enroll in other UCLA graduate courses for credit, so our students have just about the best resources on the whole campus.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 2:24:42 PM)
Craig: Do you believe applicants should “clean up” their Facebook and MySpace pages before applying to b-school? Before starting their job searches?

ucla_imcoming (Jan 24, 2008 2:24:46 PM)
Thanks Jessica!

tyima (Jan 24, 2008 2:25:37 PM)
Thanks Craig, that helps... allows students to leverage being a part of a much bigger enriching experience...

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:26:22 PM)
Josh, almost everything can be submitted online, including letters of rec and GMAT score (through Pearson's). Thus, your original transcript is the only item that must be submitted through regular mail.

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:26:45 PM)
Fall2008Anderson: Essay # 4 is a perfect opportunity in the application to explain any gaps in employment and legitimate explanations for the gap (I think your situation is perfectly understandable and should not deter your chances).

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:27:02 PM)
Linda, I think everybody should keep potential viewers in mind when constructing their on-line presence. Aspiring to a higher professional level should certainly include professionalizing your personal presentation as a pre-requisite.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 2:27:16 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Lydia, Craig, and Jessica for taking the time to answer all these questions.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 2:27:25 PM)
Upcoming chats: 

• UNC Jan. 30, 2008 
  • Consortium Feb. 5, 2008
Hopeful (Jan 24, 2008 2:27:29 PM)
Waitlist question: If I am on the wait list, would showing the adcom an acceptance to another school help? Thanks.

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 2:27:46 PM)
Good luck with your applications!

KellyHeintz (Jan 24, 2008 2:28:04 PM)
Thank you!

fall2008Anderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:28:17 PM)
Thank you!

JessicaChungAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:28:46 PM)
Thanks for your questions, and good luck!

LydiaHeymanAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:29:11 PM)
Thank you for your interest in UCLA Anderson!

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:29:47 PM)
Hopeful, let me make this a final comment -- we make all our decisions independently of what other schools may do, for admissions and fellowships too. So hopefully you have already made the best possible case to fit in here if invited!

Hopeful (Jan 24, 2008 2:30:46 PM)
Thank you!

CraigHubbellAnderson (Jan 24, 2008 2:30:48 PM)
We appreciate all your interest, and this chance to shed some light inside the black box of admissions. Thanks, Linda!

Linda Abraham (Jan 24, 2008 2:30:57 PM)
You're most welcome.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room