2009 MIT Sloan MBA Application Tips with Jennifer Burke Barba

2009 MIT Sloan MBA Application Tips with Jennifer Burke Barba

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Jan 5, 2009 12:03:14 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat.First I want to welcome all applicants to the MIT Sloan Applications Tips chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Sloan. To make a sound decision and to get accepted, you need to know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask the experts about this outstanding business school.

I also want to welcome our special guests, Jennifer Burke Barba, Assistant Director of MBA Admissions at MIT Sloan and Julie Strong, Assistant Director of MBA Admissions at MIT Sloan.

Thanks to everyone for joining.

kiran (Jan 5, 2009 12:04:59 PM)
Jen, I have a quick question about essay length - how strictly should we follow the recommended word limit? I have tried to keep it close to the limit, but sometimes I do go over.

Mithun (Jan 5, 2009 12:05:10 PM)
Julie – How does one apply to the E&I program? Roughly how many students did you admit for the Class of 2010 who indicated Entrepreneurship as the main reason for applying to MIT, but did not indicate preference or mention of the E&I program?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:05:32 PM)
Hi Kiran, we have a strict word limit of 500 words for each essay, 1-3. Please try to stick to the limit.

Raj (Jan 5, 2009 12:05:40 PM)
Jen, I have done my schooling and college in an English medium. Do I need to take the TOFEL?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:05:58 PM)
Mithun: There is no special application process for the E&I program. Students who are admitted to the program can choose E&I when they arrive.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:06:00 PM)
Hi Raj, Good news! We do not require the TOEFL for any applicants. Just the GMAT or GRE.

david (Jan 5, 2009 12:06:01 PM)
Julie: What things does Sloan pride itself in as unique to Sloan?

Daisk (Jan 5, 2009 12:06:04 PM)
Jen: I've been engaged in IT industry, and don't have much knowledge about marketing and finance. I find the Sloan School appealing because, in my opinion, it emphasizes much on the theoretical study based on a quantitative approach. Is my understanding correct? Is that an accurate description of Sloan's approach?

Raj (Jan 5, 2009 12:06:44 PM)
Great!! Thanks!

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:06:44 PM)
Daisk, you are right. At MIT Sloan we focus equally on the theory and practice.

Charades22 (Jan 5, 2009 12:06:48 PM)
Jen: Does duration of work experience play a role in the admission process?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:07:20 PM)
Charades22 - We are much more interested in the quality of your work experience than quantity.

tpemmasani (Jan 5, 2009 12:07:26 PM)
Hi Jen, I had a question about late submissions. What was the success rate if somebody submits his/her application after the second round deadline? What would it take for somebody to get in with a late submission?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:07:28 PM)
David, MIT Sloan has characteristics that we think make MIT Sloan a special place: Class size, flexible curriculum, one semester core and many, many opportunities for hands on experience either in the US or abroad through classes like g-lab, e-lab, etc.

lalamusa (Jan 5, 2009 12:07:31 PM)
Julie: Hi, what is Sloan's stance on applicants with less than 3 years of work experience?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:08:01 PM)
Lalamusa, MIT Sloan does not have a minimum requirement for work experience.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:08:09 PM)
Tpemmasani - Please try to submit by the deadline. If you submit after the deadline, we will review it after all other round 2 applicants are complete.

Jacob (Jan 5, 2009 12:08:13 PM)
Jen: What offerings does Sloan provide for those interested in hybrid financial/social enterprises?

Tom (Jan 5, 2009 12:08:14 PM)
Julie: Are you still sending interview invitations to round 1 applicants? How about for Japanese applicants? I heard some Japanese applicants have already been invited to interviews and assume that there are no additional invitations to the candidates in the area. Is this true?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:08:44 PM)
Tom, MIT Sloan is still sending out invitations for interviews and will be sending them out until the decision date.

londaizy (Jan 5, 2009 12:08:49 PM)
Julie, is the application process much more competitive now, considering the influx of Wall Street job losses?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:09:07 PM)
Jacob, we have a lot of electives in Social Entrepreneurship and micro-finance. The best thing to do is review the list of over 200 electives on the website.

SHIN (Jan 5, 2009 12:09:14 PM)
Jen: Is there any advice for reapplicants? What should reapplicants re-present in their essays and cover letter?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:09:34 PM)
Londaizy, it is just as competitive as every other year.

Afua (Jan 5, 2009 12:09:39 PM)
Julie: How heavily is the GMAT score, specifically the math score, weighed in the admissions decision?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:10:20 PM)
Shin, re-applicants are typically successful in the process. We ask that you do a self assessment and try to focus on what you think were weaknesses in the previous application, but also realize that we will have your old application along side the new one, so try not to be too repetitive.

allen.wong (Jan 5, 2009 12:10:24 PM)
Jennifer, do you know if Professor Dan Ariely will be teaching courses at Sloan? I understand that he has a joint appointment at Fuqua.

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:10:40 PM)
Afua, we look at the total GMAT and the individual scores. Our average GMAT is about 710. The GMAT score is one of many data points when we evaluate.

CEB (Jan 5, 2009 12:10:47 PM)
Julie: How does Sloan use the campus visit information? Specifically, will the fact that I have not yet visited Sloan hinder my application in any way, especially since I live in Boston? (I plan to visit in February).

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:11:01 PM)
Allen, I'm sad to say that Prof. Ariely is at Duke right now, and I don't know the specifics of his appointment, or if he plans to return to MIT.

Ryan.Yongkyu (Jan 5, 2009 12:11:16 PM)
Jen: Diversity question. Considering the strong quant/engineer characteristics of MIT, I understand that the teaching method and class profile are designed in a similar way. What would you advise a person with an art background (designer in fashion industry), looking for an MBA from a strong quantitative school like MIT to improve weaknesses in my application? Are there people like that in MIT?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:11:30 PM)
CEB, the campus visit information is not used to evaluate at you as a candidate. It gives us a point of conversation to see how your visit was.

seth (Jan 5, 2009 12:11:33 PM)
Julie: What is the recommended way to apply for scholarships? Should I mention that in my application itself?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:12:47 PM)
Ryan, over 30% of our students have a liberal arts background. There are a lot of students who have not taken a math class since high school. You're not alone, but you will need to communicate to us your quantitative ability via the application as we need to make sure that you are academically strong enough to do well here.

Pooya (Jan 5, 2009 12:12:53 PM)
Jen: How would you characterize the culture at Sloan?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:13:05 PM)
Seth, all the scholarships that you can apply for, that are administered through MIT Sloan, are on the application. There is no need to mention it elsewhere in your application. When students are admitted to the program, more financial aid and scholarship information is made available. The admissions committee is needs-blind at MIT Sloan.

Suresh tata (Jan 5, 2009 12:13:14 PM)
Julie: Another related question regarding the content of the cover letter: Apart from illustrating few of my significant accomplishments, what else would you expect us to cover? Just wanted to know if you are specifically expecting to see any of the following in the cover letter. A) How I can contribute to MIT community? B) Short term and Long term Career goals C) Why MBA? D) Why MIT? (FIT w/ career goals and learning style etc). Any advice in this regard will be helpful.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:14:32 PM)
Pooya, MIT Sloan is a collaborative place. We have students from all over the world, with very different backgrounds, and the small community really lends itself to helping students get to know one another very well. Almost all of the classes you take here will have a team component.

AR_SD (Jan 5, 2009 12:14:38 PM)
Jennifer, could you comment on the volume of LFM applications this year?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:16:01 PM)
AR SD - the LFM application pool is as competitive this year as in previous years, but we do not release numbers during the process.

torruda (Jan 5, 2009 12:16:04 PM)
Jen: How does the importance of the cover letter compare to that of the essays for the admission decision?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:16:09 PM)
Suresh, we're most interested in the impact which will probably relate to your work. The cover letter is your marketing piece. It is the first thing that we will read. There is a word limit of 500 words so you will want to organize it in a way to let us know your goals and how they relate to what MIT might offer, but don't spend time telling us about individual classes.

Modell (Jan 5, 2009 12:16:15 PM)
Julie: If I want to prove my language skill by TOEFL, do I need to request ETS send you an official score report?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:16:28 PM)
Torruda, we consider the cover letter to be another essay. It's equally important to essays.

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:16:31 PM)
Modell, MIT Sloan does not require TOEFL.

londaizy (Jan 5, 2009 12:16:32 PM)
Jen: What are the top qualities you look for in the admission essays? Is it personality, work experience, or a combination? Any tips on how to make our essays more powerful?

torruda (Jan 5, 2009 12:17:13 PM)
Great, thanks!

Sengupta (Jan 5, 2009 12:17:25 PM)
Julie: Does MIT have a preference in accepting GMAT scores vs.GRE's? Are the GRE's converted to a projected GMAT score?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:17:33 PM)
Londaizy, there are no specific top qualities we look for. Each applicant is different and hopefully their different personalities, work experiences and academic background will come through. The best thing to do is answer the questions we are specifically asking. We use a method of evaluation that looks at past performance as an indicator of future success. So in the essays, it is best to stay away from hypothetical responses, and talk about the actual events.

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:17:52 PM)
We do not have a preference. GMAT and GRE's once converted.

Anitha (Jan 5, 2009 12:17:56 PM)
Julie, if the application reaches the interview stage, do you provide phone interviews or is it necessary to interview in one of the cities listed in the application?

Pallavi (Jan 5, 2009 12:21:52 PM)
Jennifer, could you please throw some insights into the number of applicants this year in R1? Was there a huge increase in the number as compared to last year? How should candidates distinguish themselves in this highly competitive year?

Jun (Jan 5, 2009 12:23:19 PM)
Julie: How feasible is it to attend classes at MIT other than those offered by Sloan?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:23:21 PM)
Pallavi, we cannot comment on the application numbers for this year. The applicant pool is as strong as in previous years. It is best to just be yourself in the application process, do not try to stand out. We ask specific questions that help students to naturally tell us their unique stories.

Mithun (Jan 5, 2009 12:23:34 PM)
Jen: What type of interaction do Sloanies have with the Media Lab? How many are typically involved?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:24:18 PM)
Mithun, Sloanies love the media lab. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved there, both through electives and clubs (media tech club).

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:24:32 PM)
Jun, when you become a student at MIT Sloan, all courses across MIT campus are available to you.

MBA (Jan 5, 2009 12:24:36 PM)
Julie: How important is the overall GMAT score? Do you disqualify applicants immediately if the score is low?

KGY (Jan 5, 2009 12:24:57 PM)
Jen: For the behavioral questions, is it ok to tell a story that happened more than 3 years ago if the story is meaningful from an applicant's perspective?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:25:20 PM)
MBA, we do not disqualify applicants based on a sole data point. Your whole application is evaluated.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:25:48 PM)
KGY - we prefer that you stick to the 3 year limit. In our experience, the best data we can pull from applicants comes from more recent examples. Things you did more than 3 years ago are not as relevant today, as those you did 3 months ago.

Benjamin (Jan 5, 2009 12:26:56 PM)
Julie: The objective of the 2 essays "defend an idea" and "execute a plan" seem to be very similar to me. My feeling is that both are about a challenge and overcoming opposition. Where is the difference?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:26:59 PM)
Khurram, we have a very diverse class with a wide age range, this year it's 22 - 42.

ALIGHT (Jan 5, 2009 12:27:03 PM)
Jen, can you share an anecdote about a memorable essay or cover letter from years past? Is there something that you have read which sticks out in your mind as an effective way an applicant told his or her story?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:28:09 PM)
Alight - the best essays /cover letters are those that tell the story of what happened, including information about how the decisions made impacted both the applicant and other people involved, and end with the end result, not lessons learned.

Raicho (Jan 5, 2009 12:28:13 PM)
Jen, what is the impact of the current economic situation on the Sloan MBA curriculum? For example, emphasis on turnaround management, crisis management, etc.

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:28:17 PM)
Benjamin: I guess we don't see them as the same. Defending an idea usually includes a challenge or overcoming something, but not necessarily in executing a plan.

Shreenath.Regunathan (Jan 5, 2009 12:28:46 PM)
Julie, On the note of GMAT/GRE, do you have any precedence of average GRE scores?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:29:28 PM)
Raicho, MIT Sloan has always taught students how to manage in a changing economic environment. We have included a special lecture series called Deep Dive into the Financial Crisis that occurs every Friday. This is helping to teach students more about the current economic situation, and we have 100's of speakers coming to campus to help teach students as well.

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:29:37 PM)
Shreenath: We don't receive that many GRE scores, so an average at this point would not be appropriate.

ify (Jan 5, 2009 12:29:46 PM)
Jen: I am expecting my first baby and I know I want this MIT MBA at no other time, but I have butterflies when I remember my little angel is coming soon.  What sort of support could I get, if any, to make this experience all, or even better than I can imagine?

ybeshaw (Jan 5, 2009 12:29:52 PM)
Julie: Does MIT prefer more than one year of work experience? What is the ideal amount of work experience?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:31:15 PM)
Ify, congratulations! MIT Sloan offers family support in terms of day care options on campus and family housing on campus. There are plenty of students who have children while they are here.

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:31:27 PM)
Ybeshaw: There is no ideal amount of work experience. In this year's class we have 0-13 years of experience. It's much more important to know what you did in whatever experience you have had, from what have you accomplished to how you have leveraged opportunities, and if you have had an impact on your team, company, etc.

rhs (Jan 5, 2009 12:31:33 PM)
Jen: Hi, has the placement scenario been affected by the current financial crisis?

Eri (Jan 5, 2009 12:31:35 PM)
Julie: In term of recommendations; I worked for my father's company for a long period of time. Would it be acceptable to get a recommendation from one of the Senior Managers I worked closely with at this company?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:32:31 PM)
Rhs, it's much too early in the process to know what our employment statistics will look like yet. Obviously it has become much more competitive to work in investment banking, but our career development staff does an amazing job of helping students to find great opportunities.

Sengupta (Jan 5, 2009 12:32:39 PM)
Jen: Do late recommendations disqualify the application from Round 2?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:33:05 PM)
Eri: Letters of recommendation should come from Senior Managers who have supervised your work.

Mithun (Jan 5, 2009 12:33:07 PM)
Thanks Jen.

Esther (Jan 5, 2009 12:33:13 PM)
Julie: Does Sloan emphasize women leadership and if so, in what ways?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:33:14 PM)
Sengupta, late recommendation letters will not disqualify, but it will put your application at the bottom of the list for review.

Saketh (Jan 5, 2009 12:33:52 PM)
Jen: Does Sloan have any specific program for Strategy Consulting aspirants?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:34:45 PM)
Saketh, strategic consulting is a favorite among MIT Sloan students. We do not offer a specific track in this area, but we do have "career roadmaps" that can help students create a path through the curriculum which helps them to focus on this.

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:34:49 PM)
Esther: There are many opportunities for women and men in leadership at MIT Sloan. Every student has leadership requirements within the curriculum and outside of the classroom. MIT Sloan is unique in the student-run club culture that provides opportunities for students to lead in a variety of ways.

Jay (Jan 5, 2009 12:34:57 PM)
Julie: Have waitlist offerings been sent to round 1 applicants? If not, when the offerings will be sent?

romba (Jan 5, 2009 12:35:22 PM)
Hi Julie: Could you speak a little bit about the Entrepreneurship program? I am particularly interested in any programs/clubs/incubators/classes that are unique to Sloan.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:36:07 PM)
Jay, we did not create a waitlist for round 1 applicants. Some round 1 applicants have already been sent decisions - (negative ones), and some have been asked if they would consider being deferred into round 2.

rv (Jan 5, 2009 12:36:18 PM)
Jen, Would you provide any feedback on why an applicant failed to make it?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:37:14 PM)
Rv - unfortunately we do not offer feedback to applicants. We just don't have the bandwidth to help all applicants and it's not fair to offer help to just a select few. In my experience, applicants typically have a gut feeling as to what went wrong.

kcamp (Jan 5, 2009 12:37:20 PM)
Jen, I don't believe that my GMAT quant score is an accurate representation of my ability, and I've since taken additional quant courses to demonstrate that. Is there anything else you'd recommend I do to put my best foot forward?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:37:50 PM)
Episode: MIT Sloan has several strengths, you'll have to weigh them against the other programs; small class size, hands on culture inside and outside of the classroom, many experiential classes such as e-lab, g-lab, s-lab, the $100K competition, and market-lab, etc.

SPR (Jan 5, 2009 12:37:56 PM)
Julie: What parameters are used to evaluate candidates with less or no work experience? Does the academic/ GMAT/ GRE score take precedence?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:38:31 PM)
Kcamp, the quant score on the GMAT is just one small piece of the overall application. You can also include information from work experience and undergraduate studies. Many applicants also take classes like microeconomics, financial accounting and calculus to help communicate their quantitative abilities.

JonasDivine (Jan 5, 2009 12:38:38 PM)
Jen: In Essay 4, is the admissions committee looking for something specific such as clubs, honors etc. or is this meant to be totally open-ended?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:39:38 PM)
Jonas - E4 is meant to be totally open-ended. Use your best judgment, this is a chance to share with the Adcom something about you that you could not share in the other parts of the application.

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:39:44 PM)
Romba, you can learn about entrepreneurship formally through the E&I track or you can pick and choose what you want through the 2 years at MIT Sloan. There are about 29 electives to choose from as well as the VC club, the innovation club, the $100K competition, trips and treks.

MOConnell (Jan 5, 2009 12:39:52 PM)
Julie, as a reapplicant, do I also need to re-submit official GMAT test scores?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:40:57 PM)
MOConnell: Yes you need to re-submit your scores.

ignacio (Jan 5, 2009 12:41:02 PM)
Hi Julie: What support is given to accepted foreign applicants who must travel with their family? In my case, I live in Santiago, Chile.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:41:44 PM)
Shobhitg, the relationship with HEC is not a dual degree program. Current students at HEC are able to come to MIT Sloan after completing the HEC degree requirements and get an additional degree from MIT Sloan.

Jim K (Jan 5, 2009 12:41:49 PM)
Jen: Hi, can you please comment on any program changes that Sloan plans to make for the class of 2011?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:42:25 PM)
Ignacio, MIT and MIT Sloan welcome many, many international families every year. There is married student housing, on-campus day care and a Significant Others of Sloan Club.

puja (Jan 5, 2009 12:42:32 PM)
Julie: It is my understanding that you can take the GMAT up until the application deadline, and self-report the score. I thought the official score report can come after the deadline.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:43:14 PM)
Jim K - at MIT Sloan we're always trying out new things and piloting different programs, but at this time we do not know of any specific program changes, except that there will be tracks offered in both Entrepreneurship and Finance. But it's still early, there may be more options and/or changes in the coming months.

aaa (Jan 5, 2009 12:43:16 PM)
Jennifer, regarding your answer, I see that on your website is says : "What is the last date on which I can take the GMAT? The GMAT can be taken up to the last day of the application deadline. The GMAT must be taken before the online application form is submitted and must be self-reported on that electronic application. No submissions will be allowed without a GMAT score reported." So why do you need to have them sent prior to the deadline? I have taken the test in December, I know my score, but it will not reach you officially by the 2nd round deadline.

go-green (Jan 5, 2009 12:43:31 PM)
Julie: I am an atypical applicant from the military and I have ten years of experience. I find it extremely difficult to put all my experience and education in a one page resume. How does MIT admissions committee view candidates like me submitting a two page resume?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:44:30 PM)
AAA - we need your self reported score when you submit, and also need you to request ETS send an official score report. If you take the test on the application deadline, request the scores be sent to us that day.

Lucy (Jan 5, 2009 12:44:44 PM)
Jen: Most of my responses to my essays all revolve around the development/implementation/running of my business. Is this a problem? There isn't much variety, as that has consumed my life for the past several years. Will that be seen negatively?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:44:56 PM)
Go-green, your professional resume should include your professional accomplishments, it should not be a job description of everything that you have done.

Rebbie (Jan 5, 2009 12:45:04 PM)
Julie: Hi, I was wondering about the time-line for interviews at Sloan. Do the best candidates get interviewed first? When can we expect to hear whether or not we will be invited for an interview (applying round 2)? Thanks.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:45:24 PM)
Lucy - that sounds fine. You don't need variety -- just tell us your story.

Pallavi (Jan 5, 2009 12:45:29 PM)
Jennifer, what is your advice for R1 applicants whose decisions have been deferred?

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:45:42 PM)
Rebbie, Round 2 interviews will begin in March and continue up until the decision deadline.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:45:58 PM)
Pallavi, please have a little patience in the process. We will review your application again in the second round.

Vin (Jan 5, 2009 12:46:48 PM)
Jen: Why did the AdCom ask applicants if they knew MIT alumni?

Greatnewshopeful (Jan 5, 2009 12:47:27 PM)
Julie: Good morning. Will the admissions committee consider results of the GMAT, taken reasonably after the deadline, if the candidate has already submitted a score, but wanted to improve it?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:47:35 PM)
Vin, this is just another way for us to learn how you've learned about our program.

JulieStrongMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:48:20 PM)
Greatnews, You can always send in scores after the deadline but we do not guarantee that they will be reviewed with your application.

JD (Jan 5, 2009 12:48:25 PM)
Julie: Although the career management office probably has national reach, do most graduates end up in the north-east?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:49:03 PM)
Jd - our graduates find jobs all over the world. About 20% tend to stay in the north-east - NYC - Boston, but 80% find jobs in other locations.

kcamp (Jan 5, 2009 12:49:13 PM)
Jen, are there many Sloan MBA grads who've chosen to pursue careers in the non-profit sector?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:50:13 PM)
Kcamp, many students are interested in non-profit and jobs in the area of corporate social responsibility. We have students working in many different areas of non-profit, from micro-finance to Teach for America to Bridgespan.

mike from china (Jan 5, 2009 12:50:33 PM)
As the additional information and supplemental information sections are quite short, do you really look at them as "essays" in terms of structure and prose style or can then devolve into very literal and matter of fact statements for efficiency sake? My supplemental section in other application has required well over 250 words.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:51:27 PM)
Mike from china -- We do not have a supplemental section. We only have essay 4 with a 250 word limit asking you to tell us anything else you want us to know.

MBA fall2010 (Jan 5, 2009 12:51:38 PM)
If one has taken GMAT twice, one score much lower than the other, does Sloan consider an average of the 2 scores or the higher one?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:52:06 PM)
Mba fall 2010 - we only look at the highest score, and ask that you self report the score you want us to consider.

KGY (Jan 5, 2009 12:52:11 PM)
Jen: How many people typically get selected to the 'E & I' program within the MBA?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:52:40 PM)
Kgy - the process for E&I changed this year, so anyone who is interested in E&I can be in it. It's a self-selecting process now.

Sean Mahoney (Jan 5, 2009 12:52:52 PM)
Hi Jen, we met during the Sloan on the Road in Cambridge as well as the most recent Breakfast Tips seminar - thanks for allowing us to attend! Since the breakfast, I have been invigorated by the prospect of enrolling in the Entrepreneurship and Innovation track. Will Professor Roberts be giving seminars in the near future that may help us experience a taste of what this track will be like?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:54:07 PM)
Hi Sean, E&I will be introduced to the incoming class during orientation. We do not offer any specific info sessions at this time, but you are welcome to come sit in on a class.

juanjose (Jan 5, 2009 12:55:10 PM)
I am studying for an MBA in my country and I hope finish it at the end of this year. Am I allowed to submit an application to MIT this year? Do you think this will be helpful or relevant to me in any way?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:56:02 PM)
Juanjose, you can apply for an MBA at MIT Sloan whenever you find it best for you. But we do not offer deferred acceptances, so if you apply this year, we ask that you be prepared to enroll in the year you apply.

MOConnell (Jan 5, 2009 12:56:23 PM)
Jen, some of us may not be able to ask our current direct supervisor for a recommendation. Is it detrimental to have a co-worker, who is not a superior, write a recommendation, if they can accurately and adequately speak about our abilities and personality?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:57:33 PM)
MOconnell - YES- it is detrimental. Please do not ask a peer to write your letter. You must have other colleagues who rank above you that can write a letter for you. Possibly a previous supervisor or a senior manager that you work with, but not directly for. We do not want peer recommendation letters.

lalamusa (Jan 5, 2009 12:57:40 PM)
Hi, what percentage of applicants for a round are invited to be interviewed?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:58:51 PM)
Lalamusa - we invite about 20-25% of those who apply to interview.

ravi (Jan 5, 2009 12:58:56 PM)
Jen, How much weight does Sloan give to international work experience? I see some European schools seem to weigh them a bit..

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 12:59:33 PM)
Ravi, all work experience is considered. It does not matter where you were located while working, so work experience in the US vs abroad is considered equally.

Lauren (Jan 5, 2009 12:59:38 PM)
Jen: Do you need an official transcript as well, or can we attach a PDF of the transcript to our application?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:00:14 PM)
Lauren, we do not need an official transcript at the time you apply - in fact we just ask for a self reported one or pdf. If you are invited for an interview, you will be asked to bring a hard copy of the official transcript.

mehul (Jan 5, 2009 1:00:18 PM)
Jen, how important is demonstrated leadership in an applicant? Is leadership potential an acceptable replacement for the same?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:01:14 PM)
Mehul, we are looking for leadership potential. This typically comes from previous experiences you have had where you demonstrated leadership attributes, but you do not need to be in a "leadership role" in order to convey this.

Annie (Jan 5, 2009 1:01:43 PM)
What is the role of our undergraduate major? Mine was not particularly quantitative.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:02:12 PM)
Annie, we are looking at your overall academic success, in all the courses you took. The major does not matter.

Jason Reuben (Jan 5, 2009 1:03:11 PM)
Jen- to follow up on MOConnells point, what should a student do if they are recent undergrad who does not have a direct supervisor in the professional field. For instance, what if you run your own company? Would a professor or advisor from College be acceptable?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:04:03 PM)
I'd like to offer some overall advice. Your essays are the piece of the application that you have the most control over at this point -- focus your time on making them great. You want to come alive on paper, and have members of the admissions committee dying to meet you in person!

myildirim (Jan 5, 2009 1:04:41 PM)
Easier said than done Jen :-)

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:04:56 PM)
Jason, a faculty member is okay, but a professional source is always best. Maybe an adviser you've had at your startup, accountant, lawyer, etc?

Pooya1 (Jan 5, 2009 1:05:43 PM)
I am gathering that you are not looking for reflections at all in the behavioral essays, only facts of the situation and the response. Is that correct?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:06:38 PM)
Guest - Financial aid is mostly in the form of loans. We are fortunate to again be offering an MIT backed loan to all incoming students (both domestic and international), details of the loan are still being worked out, but there will be a guaranteed loan program for incoming Sloan students.

Sean Mahoney (Jan 5, 2009 1:06:48 PM)
Jen, another question for you! Do you see many students commuting to campus from not-so-neighboring towns such as Worcester?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:06:49 PM)
Pooya - correct.

Kyungme Boo (Jan 5, 2009 1:07:30 PM)
How many College seniors are admitted to MIT Sloan?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:07:40 PM)
Sean, we do have students that commute. They make it work, but realize that being a full-time student is much more than a 9-5 job. You'll have to be on campus at all different times of day/night.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:08:00 PM)
Kyungme - typically we have about 3-4% of the class come directly from undergrad.

Anatoly Garelik (Jan 5, 2009 1:08:27 PM)
What is the percentage of Sloan graduates who pursue careers in venture capital firms?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:09:05 PM)
Anatoly - I'm not sure of the exact percent, it is common for students to go into VC and PE firms. Check the employment report stats available online, it's all broken down there.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:10:02 PM)
Aramis -- I'm not technical. So when I get essays that use all kinds of jargon I do not understand, it is VERY difficult for me to score the applicant well. Please use layman's terms. :-)

Perror (Jan 5, 2009 1:11:03 PM)
Jen, are applicants with no calculus or micro-economics grades on their transcripts at a disadvantage?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:11:35 PM)
Perror - no, if you have not taken these classes, you may just be asked to take one or both prior to matriculating. But we do not require them for admission.

Shreenath.Regunathan (Jan 5, 2009 1:12:47 PM)
Jennifer, could you elaborate on the RA/TA opportunities at MIT Sloan? What are the typical roles involved for part time jobs and what courses do we end up tutoring or TA'ing?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:13:57 PM)
Shreenath, there are many opportunities for research and teaching assistantships. Each department posts openings at the beginning of each semester. These are great opportunities to work with faculty and to earn some extra money. They can cover up to 70% of your tuition for a given semester

Kyungme Boo (Jan 5, 2009 1:14:01 PM)
Hi Jen, before you read our essays, do you know who we are, where we are from, and whether we are international/domestic? Or do we have to write who we are and where we are from in the start of the essays?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:14:28 PM)
Kyungme, we know who you are when we read the essays, we will see where you are from, where you work, etc when we review your resume.

Emre (Jan 5, 2009 1:14:38 PM)
I am not a good standardized test takers, however, I have a unique background, such as my family, work experience, languages and my creativity. Does MIT evaluate applicants according to their scores or as a whole?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:15:02 PM)
Emre, we look at all parts of the application, not just test scores.

Drew (Jan 5, 2009 1:15:11 PM)
My alma mater releases official transcripts only to institutions. I will only be able to bring a student copy of my transcript to an interview. Is this acceptable?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:15:41 PM)
Drew - yes this is fine, you can also ask the school to send us a copy of the transcript if you're invited for an interview.

Grace (Jan 5, 2009 1:16:09 PM)
Jen: On the admissions application, Calculus and Micro Economic grades are requested. Is the Adcom looking for the Calculus 1 grade (for me in high school) or the most recent Calculus class taken in college (Calculus 3)?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:16:16 PM)
The ambassador program is non-evaluative. We provide these info sessions to help you, not to evaluate you. It does not effect your application.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:16:27 PM)
 Grace, calculus 1 grade. :-)

ignacio (Jan 5, 2009 1:16:39 PM)
Are there are limited places for specific nationalities of the applicants?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:17:05 PM)
Ignacio- we admit the strongest applicants who apply. We have no limits for specific backgrounds.

ccaccavo (Jan 5, 2009 1:17:15 PM)
Hi Jennifer! For applicants without work experience, what do you look for specifically in the application that differs from applicants with a few years of work experience?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:18:28 PM)
Ccaccavo, all applicants are expected to demonstrate the same types of attributes, but for those without full-time experience, the example of this usually come from different areas - internships, on-campus jobs, academic experience, etc.

Linda Abraham (Jan 5, 2009 1:18:32 PM)
Thank you again all for participating. Special thanks to Jennifer and Julie for joining us today.

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Jan 5, 2009 1:18:35 PM)
Thank you all for participating. This was great. Good luck with your applications and I hope to meet you at an interview! :-)

Linda Abraham (Jan 5, 2009 1:18:42 PM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats. On deck:

USC Marshall January 7, 2009

Consortium January 14, 2009

Michigan Ross January 22, 2009 

UNC Kenan Flagler February 19, 2009

UVA Darden February 25, 2009

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list.

Please check our Web site for additional details.

Have a very good day! Good luck with your applications!

Raicho (Jan 5, 2009 1:19:09 PM)
Thank you for your time, Jen! I found this chat very useful!

ccaccavo (Jan 5, 2009 1:19:14 PM)
Thank you!

Lauren (Jan 5, 2009 1:19:17 PM)
Thank you very much for all of your help!

Kyungme Boo (Jan 5, 2009 1:19:20 PM)
Thank you!

Saketh (Jan 5, 2009 1:19:24 PM)
Thanks! It was very useful!

denis.k (Jan 5, 2009 1:19:27 PM)
Thanks a lot!

rv (Jan 5, 2009 1:19:27 PM)
Thanks Linda & Jen

Emre (Jan 5, 2009 1:19:30 PM)
Thanks!

ignacio (Jan 5, 2009 1:19:34 PM)
Thank you!