2009 Indiana Kelley MBA Admissions Chat with Jim Holmen

2009 Indiana Kelley MBA Admissions Chat with Jim Holmen

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:00:37 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome all applicants to the chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Indiana’s Kelley School of Business. It is critical to your decision process and your admission chances that you know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask experts about this top business school.

I also want to welcome the great team Kelley has assembled to answer your questions today:

• Jim Holmen - Director of Admissions and Financial Aid - Jim has been with the Kelley MBA Program since fall of 1991, and has served as Director of Admissions and Financial Aid since 1995. He previously worked at The University of Vermont and UCLA. He earned his bachelor’s degree in Economics and Sociology from UCLA, and his master’s degree in Higher Education Administration from Indiana University.

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:01:03 PM)
Hello everyone!

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:01:13 PM)

• Tim Smith -Senior Associate Director of Admissions and Financial Aid - Tim has been with the Kelley MBA Program for over six years. Tim is Kelley’s financial aid expert and manages both need-based and merit-based financial aid programs. Tim is also the MBA Program’s resident opera singer. He earned his bachelor’s degree in vocal performance from Stetson University, and his master’s degree in vocal performance from Indiana University. Tim is in the process of completing his doctorate in music.
  • Lisa Borrero -Director of Graduate Student Services - Lisa has been with the Kelley MBA Program for six years and works closely with Kelley MBA students to help them navigate the academic program. Among her many responsibilities, Lisa coordinates the annual MBA Orientation program and advises International students. Lisa earned a bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Earlham College and a master’s degree in Counseling from Indiana University.
  • Mrim Boutla -Associate Director, Career Development - Half Swiss and half Moroccan, Mrim grew up in Lausanne (Switzerland). She earned her BS in Psychology from the Université Catholique de Louvain (Belgium) and her PhD in Brain and Cognitive Sciences from the University of Rochester. Mrim conducted postdoctoral research on brain plasticity before becoming a career counselor for undergraduate and PhD students at Brown University and at the IU Career Development Center. Mrim joined the Kelley Graduate Career Services team in May 2007, and coaches MBA candidates in designing and implementing effective internship and job search strategies for positions in the U.S. and abroad.
  • Analilia Silva - Associate Director of Admissions - Analilia recently joined the Kelley MBA Admissions team after a successful marketing career with Johnson & Johnson and Nokia Mexico. Analilia is a 2003 graduate of the Kelley MBA Program. She completed her bachelor’s degree in Marketing from the Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey in Mexico.
Thanks to everyone for joining!

AnaliliaSilvaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:01:40 PM)
Hi everyone! This is exciting!

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:03:37 PM)
For all you Adcom members: When you are evaluating applications and the numbers are in the ballpark, what puts one applicant in the admit pile, and others in the rejected or waitlisted piles?

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:04:14 PM)
Linda, having a clear focus and well thought-out goals can make a difference. We also look for candidates who have a track record of success. The program is quite collaborative. We seek students who can contribute to the learning of their classmates.

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:06:50 PM)
Mrim -Given the weakness in investment banking, hedge funds, and financial services in general, how does Kelley react to applicants who say that want an MBA to enter IB, PE or a related field that has been devastated by the economic downturn? Would you like to see a Plan B?

MrimBoutlaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:07:42 PM)
Linda, the value of an MBA is not measured by your first post-MBA job. Instead, the value of the MBA classroom experience students will get from Kelley will help them position themselves well for finance opportunities.

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:07:43 PM)
Tim, are no- cosigner loans available for international students at Kelley? What are some of the details? Along similar lines, will Kelley participate in the GMAC arranged financing?

Ankit (Mar 12, 2009 12:08:44 PM)
I wanted to know if there is any info on the No Cosigner Loan program that Kelley offers to its international students. Is there any replacement for it this year?

Dan (Mar 12, 2009 12:09:12 PM)
Jim: I heard from a representative at another school that they try to discourage JD/MBA applicants from pursuing a joint degree. I'm still interested, though, and especially at IU because of the way the curriculums converge. How does IU feel about JD/MBA applicants?

Indianapplicant (Mar 12, 2009 12:09:32 PM)
Analilia: Does Kelley admit applicants without an interview? If yes, approximately what percentage and under what conditions?

TimSmithKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:10:49 PM)
Hi Ankit: We are currently discussing loan options for the coming year. Our hope is to finalize negotiations and post information regarding the no co-signer loan option to our web site this month. Thanks for your patience!

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:11:04 PM)
Dan, we appreciate our joint degree candidates. They do, however, need to demonstrate a passion for the joint degree and have a clear idea of how they will use the joint degree. Those who simply believe that having both degrees will open more doors for them are rarely successful in the admissions process. They need a good game plan.

AnaliliaSilvaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:11:54 PM)
Indianapplicant, thanks for your question. We do interview 100% of the people that we admit. Applicants can request their interview before applying, or they will be invited by us once they have submitted their application. Interviews can be conducted on campus, when our admissions team is on the road or by phone.

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:12:46 PM)
Lisa, how do you use recommendations in evaluating applicants? If an applicant wants to submit a 3rd recommendation, will you accept it? Do you discourage them from doing so?

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:13:43 PM)
Jim: An increasing number of schools have decided to reach out to early career applicants. Has Kelley begun to do this as well?

TimSmithKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:13:45 PM)
Linda, the GMAC supported option is one of the key loan programs we are currently considering.

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:14:06 PM)
Linda, great question. I assist from time to time in helping our admissions team review applicants' files, so I invite the admissions team to weigh in on this question along with me. Recommendations certainly are given important consideration when reviewing a file. They give us a sense of an applicant's past success.

Indianapplicant (Mar 12, 2009 12:14:13 PM)
Tim: Could you tell me something about the yield this year? I have read posts on blogs and forums that though the number of applicants has gone up this year, the yield has reduced considerably. Also, the number of Indian applicants has gone down. Is this true?

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:15:05 PM)
Mrim, how is recruiting going for the Class of 09? How bad is it?

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:15:07 PM)
Linda, we reach out even earlier. We have a program we call the Kelley Accelerated Admissions Program (KAAP) that allows promising college seniors to apply for admission as they finish their undergraduate degree. If offered admission they will need to gain at least two years of full-time professional work experience before joining us. We are in essence providing them with a future offer of admission that they can "cash in" after gaining experience.

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:15:34 PM)
Jim, is that just for IU seniors or is for any senior?

Indianapplicant (Mar 12, 2009 12:15:56 PM)
Tim: Is there any change in the amount or number of scholarships you are offering this year due to the recession and cash crunch?

Gretchen (Mar 12, 2009 12:16:07 PM)
Jim: On the subject of early careerists, what about those who are over 30+?

MrimBoutlaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:16:11 PM)
Linda, recruiting remains strong for a number of functions within finance (e.g. many leadership rotational programs value candidates who major in finance, corporate finance, asset Management [PE, Private Wealth], entrepreneurial and corporate innovation roles).

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:16:14 PM)
A third recommendation can provide even more layers of information for us to consider when we review an applicant for fit, which is always helpful!

Ankit (Mar 12, 2009 12:16:14 PM)
Hi Mrim: How are the placements and internships for international students at Kelley panning out this year?

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:16:32 PM)
Linda, any senior can apply through the KAAP program.

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:17:11 PM)
Jim, with the KAAP program, do you also offer career advice or placement assistance upon college graduation?

TimSmithKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:17:45 PM)
Hello Indianapplicant: Good questions--so far our yield numbers are looking quite good. Also, our financial aid budget is, once again, solid -- we'll offer merit-aid to two-thirds of the incoming class. Thanks!

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:18:17 PM)
Mrim, outside of finance, what sectors are strong?

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:18:32 PM)
Linda, we don't provide placement assistance -- we expect them to use their own school's career services. Successful KAAP applicants typically have had some solid summer internships through their undergraduate studies.

MrimBoutlaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:18:47 PM)
Linda - as do the majority of schools in the US, we collect offer rates data at graduation and after 90 days after graduation. Although this year more students are getting 2nd round interviews later on than in previous year, it is hard at this point in time to state an actual number. The good news is that a number of 2nd year students have 2nd round interviews scheduled, which will certainly lead us to a good offer rate number in this economy!

MrimBoutlaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:20:50 PM)
Ankit - As you certainly know, the TARP ARRA laws has made it very difficult for international professionals to secure US-based positions this year.

Junaid S. (Mar 12, 2009 12:20:58 PM)
Hi Mrim: I wanted to know about placements this season, particularly placements outside of the US. Is the slowing economy causing more students to look for jobs outside of the US? If yes, how does Kelley help such students?

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:21:11 PM)
One addition to Lisa's response about a third recommendation. While we are happy to receive a third recommendation, it is not necessary. If you choose to submit a third letter, you should make sure it is value-added. It should address something not covered in the other recommendations.

CLS (Mar 12, 2009 12:21:12 PM)
Lisa: Would attending additional quantitative courses (e.g. a quick finance/stat course) prior to a Kelley MBA be advisable for an applicant who hasn't been exposed as much to such subjects in his academic career? Or should I just wait for Jumpstart?

Indianapplicant (Mar 12, 2009 12:21:40 PM)
Analilia: Is there any noticeable change in the number or quality of Indian applicants this year? Could it make it easier or tougher for an Indian applicant to matriculate to Kelley this fall?

MrimBoutlaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:21:40 PM)
Junaid, currently, we are about half way through our internship cycle and we are seeing an overall 7% drop in internship rate offers at this point (rate as of March 1, 2008 ~ 40%, and 32% as of March 1, 2009). In terms of full-time it is too early to tell. Many employers are moving forward with initiatives to send foreign-born MBAs back to their country and bring them back to the US under an L-1 visa a few years later.

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:22:55 PM)
CLS: Yes, absolutely! Students would be very well served to do as much preparation as they can before joining our program, especially if they have little background in quantitative subjects.

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:23:02 PM)
Gretchen, we welcome applicants over 30. The range for this year's entering class was 22-41. Like any applicant, a more experienced applicant must simply help us understand why they are seeking the MBA, and where they hope the MBA will take them.

Dan (Mar 12, 2009 12:23:14 PM)
Thanks, Jim. That leads to another question. Looking at successful JD/MBA applicants, what characteristics do they share? What are some of the reasons people pursue both degrees at IU? Being involved in contract negotiations as part of consulting projects, I have become convinced that an in-depth understanding of both law and business will be essential as the global economy integrates. Is that a legitimate reason?

AnaliliaSilvaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:23:38 PM)
Indianapplicant, we haven't noticed any change in the quality of the Indian candidates. We have indeed a very strong pool of candidates, so a strong application -work experience, letters of recommendations, GMAT scores- can put you in a good position.

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:23:58 PM)
Our Jump Start classes are one excellent way to get prepared for the first semester Core at Kelley, but should not be the sole means by which to prepare.

Junaid S. (Mar 12, 2009 12:24:32 PM)
Mrim, thanks.

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:24:47 PM)
Mrim, how are interview spots awarded? Is there a bidding process or is it entirely at the recruiter's discretion?

Gretchen (Mar 12, 2009 12:25:21 PM)
All: What are the 3 biggest points that differentiate Kelley from other full-time programs?

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:25:23 PM)
Dan, some candidates hope for careers as in-house counsel for a corporation, and they want an understanding of both business and law. Your reasons certainly sound legitimate.

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:25:32 PM)
CLS, every year, students come to me saying something akin to "I wish I had done more preparation in Excel/Finance/etc." Our students are so heavily involved in quant (Finance/Econ/Accounting/Excel) during the Core that it always pays to do much prep in the summer before Jump Start.

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:25:57 PM)
Lisa, are you familiar with MBAMath.com Is that good preparation?

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:27:16 PM)
Linda, I can comment on MBAMath. We've just started seeing a few candidates submit transcripts along with their applications from MBAMath. In our eyes, any additional quantitative preparation--especially for those with limited past quantitative experience--is helpful.

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:27:29 PM)
Gretchen: I always point first to the Kelley culture -- its people (faculty, staff and students). I believe we have a unique culture rooted in approachability, a team focus, and a general sense of openness and community.

TimSmithKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:27:40 PM)
Hi Gretchen: The people, the location and the culture.

MrimBoutlaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:27:45 PM)
Linda, for on-campus recruiting, how interviews are scheduled can happen in a number of ways. If the recruiter chooses to have a closed schedule, only students selected by the recruiter will be scheduled to interview with the firm. If the recruiter chooses to have an open schedule, the interviews will be determined by who the recruiter invites to interview (i.e. preferred students) and a bidding process for the remainder of the interview slots available

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:27:51 PM)
Tim, why the location?

AnaliliaSilvaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:27:56 PM)
Gretchen, as someone who graduated from the program I would say the 3 things I like the most about Kelley were 1- The Academies, which gave the opportunity to have hand on experience in the field I was interested in. 2- The Kelley culture, which is collaborative and extremely friendly -you are actually someone and not one more number. 3-The faculty. They are great, very approachable, always willing to help you and committed with your success!

TimSmithKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:28:23 PM)
Bloomington is an absolute gem of a place to spend two years! Indiana University brings great diversity to a small town located in a not-so-diverse part of the country. The arts are alive in Bloomington at all levels and in all mediums.

Dan (Mar 12, 2009 12:28:49 PM)
Jim: Following up on Gretchen's question, what about those 30 something applicants with a few years experience in multiple settings. I jumped around a bit. First planning production for an international manufacturing firm, then handling finance for a government contractor, I left that to lead consulting projects for a paramilitary group, and then taught English in the Peace Corps. They were all great experiences, but does it make me look sketchy to have moved around every 3 years?

Indianapplicant (Mar 12, 2009 12:29:04 PM)
Analilia: Do you wait for the notification date to release admissions decisions or do you inform some admitted/rejected candidates when their decision is made, even if it is before the notification date?

Ankit (Mar 12, 2009 12:29:14 PM)
Thanks Mrim. Which sectors are strong other than finance from the recruiting perspective?

Indianapplicant (Mar 12, 2009 12:29:38 PM)
Tim: Do you try to increase the average GMAT, average GPA or average Work-Ex stats for your school? Or, do you try to create diversity by taking some youngsters with 2.5-3 years experience and some with around 6 years instead of taking all people with around 5 years?

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:29:54 PM)
Dan, as an applicant, you will need to help us understand the career choices you have made, and what you have learned from each move. If you can help us connect the dots and provide a reasonable explanation for your career moves, you can be just fine.

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:30:03 PM)
Lisa: How would you describe the culture at Kelley and what does Kelley do to nurture that culture?

AnaliliaSilvaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:30:12 PM)
Indianapplicant, we send all decisions at once on the notification date.

MrimBoutlaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:31:29 PM)
Ankit - sectors that have been holding up fairly well include Manufacturing, Life Sciences and CPG firms. We have seen some change in consulting and of course in banking.

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:32:25 PM)
Linda, the culture here is what underscores Kelley as a special place. We hear time and time again from incoming students that the openness, approachability, and personal outreach efforts of our current students, faculty and staff solidifies their interest in our program. In addition, our program values a team approach to problem-solving in a very meaningful way. It's not just talk; we expect our students to truly collaborate by working effectively with and appreciating classmates from all different walks of life, and taking those experiences with them into the work world to make them better business leaders.

CLS (Mar 12, 2009 12:32:30 PM)
Analilia: Kelley is currently rated as having the "best classroom experience". Hope the team could describe and detail particulars on how Kelley was able to achieve this. Thanks- It has been a great session so far!

Dan (Mar 12, 2009 12:33:12 PM)
Tim: Speaking of quantitative ability and preparation, how does IU ascertain the quantitative ability of applicants? Is it just the GMAT quant score? Or does a quantitative academic and work background help? I took a lot of math courses in college - I even did well in some of them - but I only scored in the 67th percentile on the quant GMAT. Hence: Worry.

Gretchen (Mar 12, 2009 12:33:31 PM)
Jim: thank you for all the answers. Can you tell me about the class size and style?

AnaliliaSilvaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:33:37 PM)
CLS, there are 2 factors that help us achieve this: 1) Faculty and 2) The diversity of the student body. As I mentioned before, our  faculty members are great! Not only are they great professors and researchers, but they also have worked for large corporations or are part of a Board of Directors. As for our students, they all have different backgrounds -both cultural and professional- which make a class discussion richer.

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:34:02 PM)
Indianapplicant, we are always trying to do it all--increase the diversity while trying to bring the strongest students we can into the Kelley MBA Program. Each student, however, can bring something different, and help us meet our goals in different ways. For some, they bring a very strong academic profile. For others, they may bring incredible experience.

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:34:37 PM)
Gretchen, we bring in a class of about 225 and divide the class into three cohorts of about 75 students. The cohorts are broken down into teams of four or five. You are with your cohort and team for the entire first semester--through our core. After the fall semester core, you begin taking electives where the average class size is in the 30s.

Junaid S. (Mar 12, 2009 12:35:53 PM)
Lisa: Can you shed some light on Kelley International Perspectives? Is it restricted to students concentrating in a particular field? And, what is the course work during such visits?

Dan (Mar 12, 2009 12:36:16 PM)
Analilia: I read somewhere that there are 40+ ethnic restaurants near the school. Since my wife will kill me if I take her too far from Indian or Thai food, I want how far it is to the nearest Indian and Thai places. Can you give me a hand?

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:37:06 PM)
Jim: are there any special considerations for re-applicants? Do reviewers also look at last year's application when reviewing the application of a re-applicant? Do they just look at the reviewers' notes? Or do they ignore last year's application?

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:37:27 PM)
Junaid: KIP is a wonderful program that is open to all of our current students, not just those interested in a particular field. The course comprises a 7-week class from January to March, followed by a 10-day trip to the country of study. In-country, the students make various company visits, work on projects, and engage in additional investigative work. When they return, they take part in a "KIP Day" where they make a final presentation about their KIP experience and findings to the school.

Dan (Mar 12, 2009 12:37:29 PM)
Tim: Speaking of increasing class diversity, does Kelley intend to join schools like Duke and USC in offering scholarships to returned Peace Corps Volunteers?

AnaliliaSilvaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:37:47 PM)
Dan, that is a great question! I have to say one of the things I liked the most about Bloomington is the quality of restaurants we have here! You can in fact find 2 very good Indian restaurants and 2 Thai restaurants. There's a street with only ethnic food restaurants and it is just 6 block away from the Business School!!

CLS (Mar 12, 2009 12:38:12 PM)
Lisa: In contrast to other programs--Kelley's Core actually is "team-taught" vs. the conventional core subjects taught individually. Since the launch of the Core--has this approach proven a significant advantage to Kelley's graduates? Thanks!

TimSmithKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:38:22 PM)
Hello Indianapplicant: Again, thanks for your good questions! Our pool of applicants in never static one. Each year we attempt to bring in folks who will contribute a great deal to the Kelley family and are prepared to thrive in this exciting, unique environment. You mention several statistics--our profile has been fairly steady over the years with a steady increase in the average GMAT score.

Lorie (Mar 12, 2009 12:38:38 PM)
Analilia: Are there special programs / visiting weekends for women prospective students to Kelley?

Junaid S. (Mar 12, 2009 12:38:43 PM)
Lisa, thanks!

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:38:50 PM)
Linda, we do look at last year's application when looking at a re-applicant. We want to see what the candidate has accomplished in the past year and how they might be a stronger candidate this year.

Dan (Mar 12, 2009 12:38:53 PM)
Analilia - Perfect!

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:39:24 PM)
Jim: Any tips for waitlisted applicants?

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:40:12 PM)
Linda, when we go to the waitlist, we take a fresh look at each applicant. We don't rank our waitlist in advance. As a result, a waitlisted candidate is welcome to provide us with new or updated information that may strengthen their application when we take another look at it. For example, if they have a new GMAT score, or a new significant accomplishment.

AnaliliaSilvaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:40:13 PM)
Lorie, we have several events for women only in different cities throughout the US which are great and a lot of fun. This year we held quite a few cooking events, where women had the opportunity to ask questions to our successful alumni and faculty, and have fun cooking!

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:40:24 PM)
CLS: Excellent question! While I'm not sure about the comparison between our graduates who participated in the non-integrated Core vs. those who have experience our Core as it is now, I can certainly comment on what advantages I believe it currently provides. The Core provides a rich, rigorous, and dynamic environment in which to learn about the eight functional areas that comprise the first semester of our program. The very design of the Core really challenges students to work well collaboratively, manage their time wisely, and to really stretch themselves.

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:40:41 PM)
Lisa: What programs does Kelley offer to students interested in entrepreneurship?

Indianapplicant (Mar 12, 2009 12:41:03 PM)
Tim: Do you think the chances of getting admitted this year are lower than last year because of the increase in number applicants (assuming the same quality of application and equal profile)?

MrimBoutlaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:41:37 PM)
Linda - I can provide additional information about entrepreneurship, as I work with students who are members of the Entrepreneurial Management Academy.

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:41:48 PM)
Great.

MrimBoutlaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:42:45 PM)
Kelley offers world-class courses in entrepreneurship, and its Entrepreneurial Management Academy provides great opportunities to apply the classroom content to concrete projects in Venture Capital, Corporate Innovation and Small Business Creation. For more information, see the curriculum online. In addition, Kelley offers a Social Entrepreneurship Certificate that enables MBA students to take courses in our School of Public and Environmental Affairs (top rank in non-profit management MPA program). For more information see our certificate programs online. Students from the EMA generally go into roles in business development, strategy, marketing, internal consulting. A minority of students create their own business upon graduation as well.

TimSmithKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:42:49 PM)
Hi Dan: We are fortunate to have a few Peace Corps volunteers in each incoming class. We recognize the value of the PC exp. and have a few fellowship awards that are designated for those who are passionate about giving back at the global level.

Gretchen (Mar 12, 2009 12:43:02 PM)
Lisa: do many of the spouses/partners work?

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:43:11 PM)
Some waitlisted candidates start a campaign of additional recommendation letters--we had a waitlisted candidate who must have had a half dozen people send us letters. All of the letters basically said the same things the original recommendations shared. That approach just didn't work.

Indianapplicant (Mar 12, 2009 12:43:31 PM)
Jim: I read on blogs that in the later rounds, schools tend to give more importance to candidates with higher GMAT scores so that they can push their average GMAT stats up. Is there any truth in this? This is a general question about US MBA schools and not particularly about Kelley.

Lorie (Mar 12, 2009 12:43:46 PM)
Tim: How does Kelley look upon applicants who are laid off and have difficulty finding a job that is at the same level as one's previous position? Would volunteer activities / unpaid non-profit work demonstrate that we are capable of thriving at Kelley?

TimSmithKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:43:48 PM)
Hello Indianapplicant: We do have a finite number of seats.

CLS (Mar 12, 2009 12:44:01 PM)
Lisa: I looked up clubs on the Kelley website--they are limited to business and some social networking clubs -- is there a basketball or soccer club in IU that Kelley students can join?

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:44:56 PM)
Lisa, could you discuss Kelley's Academies for a moment?

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:45:03 PM)
Linda: Regarding Entrepreneurship, we have an Entrepreneurial Management Academy, and an Entrepreneurship major and minor. Kelley also houses the Johnson Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, which hosts various speakers throughout the school year.

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:45:25 PM)
Indianapplicant--sure we like strong GMAT scores, but we also like strong academic records and excellent work experience and demonstrations of leadership. It's never just about the GMAT (which may be why we tend to have a lower average GMAT than many top programs, but our graduates are just as successful!).

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:46:00 PM)
Jim or Mrim, which sector hires the most Kelley grads?

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:46:31 PM)
Gretchen: Yes, we have many spouses/partners that work. Some work part time and some full-time. We also have a Partners' Club that offers lots and lots of activities so that the partners feel like they are part of the MBA experience and also get to develop a community of their own.

Indianapplicant (Mar 12, 2009 12:47:13 PM)
Tim: One last question. How important is the AWA score in GMAT? Does an applicant with a 6.0 on AWA have any advantage?

Ankit (Mar 12, 2009 12:47:24 PM)
Jim: Are there opportunities for students to work at different departments at IU or Kelley while pursuing the MBA program? Do students usually take up such opportunities or the course load does not permit them?

TimSmithKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:47:26 PM)
Hi Lorie: Our optional essay is a great place to share information which will help us fill in the gaps. And yes, as is the case with all experience, we are trying to learn what one takes from the actual activities, work, etc.

kris10 (Mar 12, 2009 12:48:31 PM)
Lisa: I have been in touch with 2 current Kelley students who are involved in the Globase program. Is it difficult to join the program?

Lorie (Mar 12, 2009 12:49:04 PM)
Analilia: I know the median length of work experience is 5 years. How does Kelley feel about younger applicants, particularly women, with 1-3 years of experience?

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:49:05 PM)
Kelley's Academies offer a way for students to add a layer of exposure to an industry that is not limited to the classroom. Academies offer students a hands-on approach to digging into their field of interest. Each Academy is led by a faculty director and involves three distinct intensive weeks throughout the two-year MBA experience. The content of these weeks vary by Academy, but often involve company visits, speaker series, case competitions, and other activities that involve out-of-the-classroom industry exposure.

MrimBoutlaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:49:08 PM)
Linda - Top industries include Consumer Products and Manufacturing - for a full distribution by industry for the class of 2008, see our employment report online.

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:49:21 PM)
Ankit, some students are awarded graduate assistantships and work in the School of Business 5 to 12 hours a week depending on the level of the award. Outside of assistantships, our students rarely have outside jobs. They would have to give up too many opportunities within the MBA Program (guest speakers, corporate presentations, field trips, etc.) to maintain outside employment.

Dan (Mar 12, 2009 12:50:12 PM)
Jim: This is one of those questions you get a lot, but it's important. What characteristics define successful applicants? Thinking about who attends, what do they have in common? How have they demonstrated fit?

TimSmithKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:50:24 PM)
The AWA is one part of the puzzle. Analytical writing skills are, indeed, important. We use the score in conjunction with one's entire application. It is, after all, a 'perfect' score. :-)

CLS (Mar 12, 2009 12:51:03 PM)
Tim: On essays: I had a lot of fun answering the road trip question--I think it is a great way to gain perspective on an applicant. How does the Adcom particularly assess this question. What were you looking out for? Thanks!

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:51:12 PM)
Dan, there are so many different characteristics that can define a successful applicant. I spoke about some earlier in the chat, including a track record of academic and professional success, clear, well-developed career goals, an interest in working within a collaborative learning environment, and so on.

AnaliliaSilvaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:51:40 PM)
Lorie, the number of years or FT work experience is an important part of the application. While the average is 5 yrs, some people have 2 or 3 years of very valuable experience. Some have taken some leadership roles, good teamwork experience and have shown progression in their careers increasing their responsibilities. All these factors will add value to your work experience.

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:52:18 PM)
Kris10: This is the very first year for the Globase program, so the demand for such a program still remains to be seen. There was a good deal of interest for this inaugural year, though. Any applicant for the Globase program should have a clear interest in the aim of the project, which is service-based. Having that as a start is helpful. Beyond that, language considerations are always at play, in addition to students' backgrounds and how their experience/skills could benefit the needs of the constituents being served.

Steve (Mar 12, 2009 12:52:58 PM)
Tim: When will Priority Round decisions start coming out to applicants?

Ankit (Mar 12, 2009 12:53:09 PM)
Thanks Jim. What are the chances of securing a GA in the first or the second year if one is not awarded initially?

TimSmithKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:53:34 PM)
Hi CLS: We're attempting to get to know the person a bit better. I've read some fun answers and some amazing ones to that question.

Dan (Mar 12, 2009 12:53:53 PM)
Tim: Following up on the spouse conversation, one of the draws of IU is it's proximity to the Kinsey Institute. Does enrolling in Kelley negatively impact my wife's chances of a post doc there?

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:54:12 PM)
Ankit, it is pretty rare to be offered a graduate assistantship if one is not awarded one initially. We do have a small number of new second year positions, but the majority of our assistantships are two year awards.

TimSmithKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:54:41 PM)
Hi Steve: We'll begin to release 2nd-round decisions very soon. Thanks for your patience!

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:55:06 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Jim, Lisa, Tim, Mrim and Analilia for joining us today. We look forward to seeing you at future chats, and here is a list of the upcoming scheduled chats:

Waitlist Chat         March 19, 2009

LBS                     March 23, 2009

Cornell Waitlist     March 25, 2009

Ross Waitlist       March 30, 2009

MIT Waitlist         April 7, 2009

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details.

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:55:40 PM)
Thanks, everyone!

MrimBoutlaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:55:43 PM)
Thanks for joining everyone! For more information on Graduate Career Services for incoming MBA students, see our website.

Linda Abraham (Mar 12, 2009 12:55:47 PM)
Have a great day! Good luck with your applications!

TimSmithKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:55:55 PM)
Thanks everyone--all the best!

AnaliliaSilvaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:55:59 PM)
Thanks for joining us!

JimHolmenKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:56:14 PM)
Thanks to everyone for participating. Anyone is welcome to follow up with me if you didn't get your question answered.

Steve (Mar 12, 2009 12:56:25 PM)
Thanks!

Junaid S. (Mar 12, 2009 12:56:36 PM)
Thanks all!

Ankit (Mar 12, 2009 12:56:41 PM)
Thank you all.

LisaBorreroKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:56:48 PM)
Same here; feel free to email me!

AnaliliaSilvaKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:57:21 PM)
If you need additional information, please let us know!

TimSmithKELLEY (Mar 12, 2009 12:57:47 PM)
We welcome your questions.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room