2009 Accepted.com MBA Waitlist Chat with Linda Abraham and Natalie Grinblatt Epstein

2009 Accepted.com MBA Waitlist Chat with Linda Abraham and Natalie Grinblatt Epstein

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:22:08 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham, and I am the founder of Accepted.com. I will moderate today’s chat and also respond to questions. First, however, I want to extend some welcomes. I want to welcome all applicants to the chat today. And I want to also extend a warm, special welcome to Natalie Grinblatt Epstein who had previously been a special guest on Accepted.com chats when she served as Director of Admissions at Cornell’s Johnson School of Business. She has also serviced as Director of Admissions at the University of Michigan’s Business School and as Assistant Dean of admissions at Arizona State University W P Carey School of Management.

Today Natalie joins in her capacity as Accepted.com editor and advisor. Thanks to everyone for joining.

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:22:45 PM)
Welcome everyone and thank you for waiting.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:23:02 PM)
Before taking your questions, I want to introduce the ABC’s of MBA waitlists. These are the goals of your waitlist contact and communication with your waitlisting school(s).

Address and ameliorate weaknesses (without magnifying them).

Boost strengths by revealing recent promotions, projects, and awards, and achievements.

Confirm fit by revealing how recent visits to the schools and events have confirmed Waitlisting School is the place for you.

These ABC’s should be your strategic goals while you on the waitlist.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:23:50 PM)
Now for a few tips:

1. Follow the school’s instructions.

2. Keep your letters to 1-2 pages. Do not be verbose. Check out or blog for more tips on content.

3. If you can get feedback, ask if there is anything you can do to improve your candidacy (there usually isn’t, but if there is, you want to know about it). If there is something, do it.

4. Here I know there is a slight disagreement between Natalie and me, but I’m going to state my view: Seek letters of support from supervisors on and off the job. Current students and recent alumni who know you can also write letters of support and emphasize your fit with the program. Letters from big names who don’t know you are not effective and letters that simply reiterate information found in other letters are also not effective.

5. Always remember that quality trumps quantity. Do not waste their time (and annoy the readers) by sending in meaningless, wordy drivel or long-winded repetitions of your essays.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:24:44 PM)
Now please ask your questions about responding to a wait list letter or other aspects of writing and graduate admissions.

austen (Mar 19, 2009 12:25:03 PM)
Natalie, Hi, I just got WL'ed at Stern without an interview and wanted to see what I could do in the coming days. I am a 30 year-old male from India, with only a 3.0 GPA from a top undergraduate school there, and only a 710 GMAT. I have a top Ivy school graduate degree and have 4.5 years work experience in marketing with a big pharmaceutical company. I also have strong extra curricular activities, but didn't get to talk about them because of the kind of essays that Stern has. For example, I started a non-profit in NYC and it has grown into a 20 person team. Do you think the WL decision might have been because of my low undergraduate GPA and low GMAT as compared to Indians? Also, what are my options? Should I send an additional recommendation, or retake the GMAT (personally, do not want to do that), or should I write about my non-profit foundation work in another essay (the only place I mentioned it was my resume, so I feel that this significant piece was left out from my application).

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:26:53 PM)
Austen, schools look at your application in a micro and macro capacity. They are trying to build a class and they want to see how you can add value to the class. If NYU is open to feedback, then discuss your options with them. I would also remind them of your interest every 3-4 weeks. Adding the work you did for the non-profit will add value to your essay for one of those letters.

festac (Mar 19, 2009 12:27:06 PM)
What does one do when one is wait listed?

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:27:19 PM)
Festac, did I answer your question with the ABC's and tips?

Lynne06 (Mar 19, 2009 12:27:42 PM)
Hi Natalie & Linda - thank you for chatting with us today! I am on Kellogg's waitlist - do you have any insight as to the percent of people that are on the waitlist (compared to class size) and of those, about how many end up eventually getting in?

lisa (Mar 19, 2009 12:29:14 PM)
Natalie: Columbia specifically says not to send any additional materials - should I anyway?

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:29:23 PM)
Lynn,  I don't know the percentages or stats. I do know that they are almost irrelevant. At the end of the day, you are either 100% in or 100% out.

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:29:55 PM)
Lisa, do not send material in if the school says you should not send material.

mba11 (Mar 19, 2009 12:30:10 PM)
Natalie: Hi. Thank you for hosting this chat. Does the adcom value professional updates (awards, promotions etc.) more than personal/volunteer updates, especially if the volunteer work ties directly into the post-MBA goals?

festac (Mar 19, 2009 12:30:14 PM)
Yes you did.

GimmeKellogg (Mar 19, 2009 12:30:35 PM)
Hi Linda. Thanks for hosting this chat. I am WLed at Kellogg. I sent in my first one-page letter a couple of weeks ago. I basically stated upfront that Kellogg is my top choice for B-school and reiterated my reasons and fit. I've heard that you should update the school on your candidacy every few weeks, which means I'm due for another letter soon. What, if anything, should I do/say? Should I ask if there is anything else I can do to improve my chances for acceptance?

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:30:56 PM)
Gimme, if you don't have anything to say, don't say anything. :-) ! However, this may be a good time to talk to your buddy at Kellogg and see if he or she is comfortable writing a letter of support. Similarly it might be a good idea to ask your boss or supervisor who did not write a letter of recommendation if they could write a letter of support that adds to your profile different insight of a different dimension.

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:31:36 PM)
MBA11. Professional updates are very much welcome for those schools who welcome updates. However, if you need to remind a school of your interest, adding additional information from the community could add value. Remember it's not about the awards and promotions, but what action led to the awards and promotions. How did you add value to the organization.

WL09 (Mar 19, 2009 12:32:21 PM)
Hi Linda and Natalie, thank you for taking the time to speak with us today! I was waitlisted by Kellogg for Round 2 and upon contacting the school was informed by my WL manager that I should review my app and see where I feel I could show improvement/clarification. However, upon participating in a chat with an AdCom member at another time, I learned that Kellogg does sometimes provide feedback. In a situation like this, is it "safe" to ask again about the feedback?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:32:41 PM)
WL09 yes, but I would talk to one of the directors and explain the situation.

hello56 (Mar 19, 2009 12:32:52 PM)
Hi Linda, I'm on Sloan's WL. I didn't get to interview with them, so I already sent a letter to them, but received no response. I then sent an email letting them know that I will be in the US on the first week of April, and so far, no response once again. Do they actually admit WL candidates to the incoming class? If so, do you know how many? They said there are 100-200 on the WL.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:33:32 PM)
Hello56, MIT does take students from the WL. They don't have one to torture you. In fact, Accepted is hosting a WL chat on April 6th for MIT's waitlisted applicants. If you are going to be in the US and have not received a response to your email, I would phone them and politely ask if you could visit the school. Also express your willingness to participate in an interview.

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:34:17 PM)
Tip: If a school is open to it, remind the school of your continued interest in the program every three to four weeks via email or phone call.

waitlisted (Mar 19, 2009 12:34:35 PM)
Natalie: in response to your advice to update every 3-4 weeks, how do you recommend doing so without A) repeating oneself or B) bombarding the Adcom with irrelevant info?

prodigy12 (Mar 19, 2009 12:34:51 PM)
Hi, what is the right time to send waitlist essay to the adcom of the waitlist program?

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:35:30 PM)
Prodigy12, the first response to a waitlist notification should be sent as soon as you can send a cogent response back. You want to demonstrate enthusiasm. That is part of "fit." After that I agree with Natalie, every 3-4 weeks. If you are waitlisted later in the cycle or know of a looming decision date, you might want to shorten that span.

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:35:38 PM)
Waitlisted, a simple note to say, "I continue to be interested and let me tell you what I accomplished in the last three weeks" was welcome when I was director. Keep a journal of your achievements each week. Did you increase revenues, decrease costs, increase efficiency, increase productivity, increase market share and if so, how?

lavender (Mar 19, 2009 12:36:10 PM)
Natalie, thanks for hosting the chat. I got waitlisted at Chicago Booth for Round 1. I worked with one of your editors to draft and complete a waitlist letter. One week later, I visited their campus (flew from Asia to Chicago) and met the waitlist manager to seek advice but she said no feedback. Then I wrote another letter reflecting my campus visit experience. The week after, I had my general manager who is Chicago GSB alum write a letter of support. Do you think I have done everything I can to increase my chances?

waitlisted (Mar 19, 2009 12:36:54 PM)
Thank you!

runner2 (Mar 19, 2009 12:37:16 PM)
Natalie: Hi - I was waitlisted at MIT without an interview. I plan to visit the school during the first week of April. Should I request and interview or at least a meeting with the adcom?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:37:36 PM)
Lavender, you have done everything I would have suggested you do.

WL09 (Mar 19, 2009 12:37:57 PM)
Natalie, in general, when speaking to a school representative directly (in person or on the phone) how do you suggest we show continued interest aside from asking questions about the WL?

waitlisted (Mar 19, 2009 12:38:03 PM)
I was waitlisted at Wharton and MIT Sloan. Wharton, like Columbia, says not to submit additional materials. Is there anything I can do?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:39:03 PM)
Runner2, requesting an interview will not hurt. If they say no, you need to respect that decision.

hello56 (Mar 19, 2009 12:39:29 PM)
Thanks so much for your tips!

George (Mar 19, 2009 12:39:39 PM)
Natalie: How soon should I send additional information? For MIT, most of the wait list decisions will be made in the June/July time frame. Is it worthwhile to wait until I have more to update?

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:40:11 PM)
Waitlisted, the safest thing is to do nothing. If something truly noteworthy has happened you need to weigh up the risk of ticking them off vs. the benefit of adding that info to your file. If you decide the risk is worth it, you can simply write them or you can approach a current student, recent alum, or your interviewer and explain your situation. Hopefully they will offer to write a letter of support and include the new info.

hello56 (Mar 19, 2009 12:40:22 PM)
Is it better to be on the WL without being interviewed? Or do they call all the interviewed WL candidates before calling the WL without interviews?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:40:55 PM)
WL09, I always enjoyed people who called me to let me know that they continue to be interested in my program and updated me on some of the things they were doing in the past few weeks. Asking questions regarding the waitlist did not add value. I was trying to get to know the candidate as an individual to see if they would add value to my program.

FOREVERWAITING (Mar 19, 2009 12:41:36 PM)
Natalie: I am on Columbia's waitlist. A letter of support was submitted by a senior worker in my department that is a Columbia alumnus and I sent a letter re-affirming my interest in the school. My waitlist letter told me not to send additional materials. Is there anything else I should be doing? Thanks!

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:41:38 PM)
George, begin to keep a journal of accomplishments.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:41:52 PM)
Hello56, that depends on the school. I don't believe your previous interview status will have an impact on your standing or chances. You can certainly offer to interview.

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:42:59 PM)
Foreverwaiting, for schools like Columbia who ask that no additional materials be sent, you need to respect their wishes. If an unsolicited letter of support comes from a well-respected alumnus, then that may be the only action available.

waitlisted (Mar 19, 2009 12:43:15 PM)
I am in a similar situation to "Hello56" except that I live in the US. If I am going to be in the city where a school is located and am on the waitlist but haven't been invited to interview, should I call/email to let them know I will be near campus?

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:43:54 PM)
Waitlisted: Yes let them know you will be near campus and offer to interview. If you have not already visited the campus (done the tour, etc.) do so.

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:44:09 PM)
Runner2, I would mix it up. Updates from you and updates from alumni, but make sure you spread those out.

MBA1 (Mar 19, 2009 12:44:15 PM)
Natalie: If I am waitlisted at Kellogg, should I still submit a FAFSA form?

heb (Mar 19, 2009 12:44:41 PM)
Natalie - I'm on Fuqua's waitlist and pretty sure that it's due to a low GMAT score. I took the GMAT 3 times prior to applying and was only able to get a 610. I'm planning to take it again but concerned that if I'm not able to improve my score significantly, I won't get in. Would you advise maybe also enrolling in a quant class to demonstrate my capabilities even though I probably won't have grades before Fuqua makes a final decision?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:44:47 PM)
MBA1, the FAFSA is good for all schools, so completing the FAFSA is fine at this point.

austen (Mar 19, 2009 12:45:06 PM)
Linda: Apart from writing a letter expressing my interest in Stern,  additional responsibilities that I just received and the way I can contribute to the class, do you think there is value in sending an additional recommendation letter focusing on my quantitative skills?

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:45:33 PM)
Austen: If your quant score was low or there is reason to doubt your quant skills, yes.

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:45:36 PM)
Heb, I would be proactive and enroll in an accounting course and let the committee know you are doing that.

hello56 (Mar 19, 2009 12:45:58 PM)
Natalie: When the school finishes its last round (for example: MIT finishes R2 on April 6th) do they "accept" more than the number of available spots based on the previous years acceptance rate? Or do they only accept 324 students (number of official spots) and then go directly to the WL?

festac (Mar 19, 2009 12:46:55 PM)
Hi Linda. I am also on MIT's WL. Is it compulsory to write a letter to the school showing your continued interest? They do have a form that states how long you would be interested in enrolling in the school. Does that not serve the purpose of the reminders?

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:47:05 PM)
Festac, it isn't compulsory, but if you don't and others write enthusiastic, meaty letters, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage vis a vis others on the waitlist. This is a competitive process.

Arial (Mar 19, 2009 12:47:17 PM)
Hi Linda, referring back to your Kellogg waitlist response regarding having an alumnus write us a recommendation letter, Kellogg FAQs state that they discourage additional letters from 3rd parties. That being said, is it ok for an alumnus to send in a letter of endorsement?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:47:28 PM)
Hello56, they will over admit and then adjust for "summer melt". There will always be students who decide not to enroll in the summer. The waitlist is often used to account for summer melt. Schools need to manage their enrollment. This year, I believe schools were too tight in the first round.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:47:32 PM)
Arial, they discourage them because they frequently aren't substantive.  Natalie also discourages them. However, if the recommender adds to their knowledge of you and your qualifications or fit with Kellogg, that's something else. Otherwise, don't waste their time.

George (Mar 19, 2009 12:47:58 PM)
Natalie: When we submit additional material, is it better for it to be in the body of an e-mail or as a separate attachment?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:48:25 PM)
George, emails are usually the best form of communication.

GimmeKellogg (Mar 19, 2009 12:48:47 PM)
Natalie - What if I've been admitted to another school and its admission deadlines are quickly approaching? I am struggling with being patient while WLed at Kellogg and with having to plan for the school where I am already admitted. Any advice?

Steve (Mar 19, 2009 12:50:12 PM)
I was waitlisted and the feedback I received was that the round for which I applied had an extremely high average GMAT, significantly higher than mine (and mine was not bad). Anyway, I have taken it twice and the Adcom member stated that I had a very strong application otherwise, and did not recommend retaking the GMAT (since I had already taken it twice). So, I went ahead and took the mbamath.com course and had my new boss submit a letter on my behalf. Any thoughts on what else I could do?  I'm waitlisted at two places - the other does not give feedback.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:50:23 PM)
Steve, good moves. Make sure MBA Math sends over the transcript from its course. You could take another math related online course through extension, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:50:35 PM)
GimmeKellogg you can negotiate an extension with the school to which you have been admitted. However, you best bet is to send in the enrollment deposit and ride it out with Kellogg. You will lose the enrollment deposit if you are admitted and enroll at Kellogg.

waitlisted (Mar 19, 2009 12:51:58 PM)
Thanks!

SlowComputer (Mar 19, 2009 12:52:29 PM)
Natalie, what do you mean that schools were "too tight in the first round"?

waitlisted (Mar 19, 2009 12:53:26 PM)
If a school says not to submit "additional materials," is a letter that reaffirms interest in the school considered an "additional material"?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:53:36 PM)
SlowComputer, I'm sorry about the jargon. I believe schools offered fewer spots in the first round anticipating a huge increase in applications. The huge increase did not happen. It has been a minimal increase in applications at best.

SlowComputer (Mar 19, 2009 12:53:56 PM)
Natalie: What are you general thoughts on the waitlist this year? Sure, every school is different, but have you been hearing anything along the lines of larger waitlists and smaller acceptances (especially for Round 1)?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 12:54:22 PM)
Waitlisted, yes it would be considered additional. Do not send additional materials. Just sit tight.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:54:22 PM)
Waitlisted, if it's after you have affirmed that you want to stay on the waitlist, yes it is.

hello56 (Mar 19, 2009 12:56:06 PM)
Linda: Is there any chance that the WL candidates will be interviewed before the deposit deadline for the last round accepted candidates?

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:56:21 PM)
Yes, it's possible, if the school wants to interview you. You could make it into Round 2 or rejected or rolled into Round 3. It's all possible.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:58:39 PM)
Waitlisted: Most schools do not offer feedback to waitlisted applicants. If they do, they say so. However, there is no harm in asking if they don't explicitly say so.

Rose (Mar 19, 2009 12:59:04 PM)
Linda: If the letter does not state the reason why I was WLed, can I call the school to get specifics? Or is that too aggressive?

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 12:59:29 PM)
Rose: You can politely email or call and ask if the school gives feedback to waitlisted applicants. Just make sure their instructions don't say so.

SlowComputer (Mar 19, 2009 1:01:22 PM)
Natalie: Do you have any high level thoughts of the size of waitlists this year? How does it compare to the last recession, for example?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:02:45 PM)
Slow Computer, my inside info tells me that waitlists are consistent with last year. What the schools don't know yet is how yield will play out. I am hearing that yield was higher in round 1, but you never know how that will play out.

Arial (Mar 19, 2009 1:02:49 PM)
Natalie: Adding on to Gimme's question, Kellogg does state that we should reach out to them if we get another offer. What is the best way to do so? Phone, email, or within the update letter? Thanks!!

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:03:34 PM)
Arial, I would send an email stating that you have another offer, but that Kellogg remains to be your first choice.

lavender (Mar 19, 2009 1:04:00 PM)
Natalie, if there were only slight increases in R2 and a large pool of R1 waitlisted applicants, does that mean R1 waitlisters have a good chance of being admitted?

Rose (Mar 19, 2009 1:04:07 PM)
Linda: How long should the letter stating your interest be? What should we include in the letter?

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 1:04:25 PM)
Rose- it should be 1-2 pages. For more tips on content, please see our blog.

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:04:56 PM)
Lavender, the waitlist goes into one pool, so it's not divided by R1, R2. You will be considered with everyone on the waitlist.

david (Mar 19, 2009 1:05:02 PM)
Natalie: Are there any schools you anticipate diving heavily into the waitlist this year?

lavender (Mar 19, 2009 1:05:17 PM)
Linda: At Chicago Booth, the instruction was to not send additional materials after March 2. So since then, I quit contacting them. Was that the right move, or should I have still called the adcom to say I am still interested? They asked the waitlisted applicants for final confirmation on whether we still wanted to be considered for admission - I wrote back saying yes, and that was the last I sent a message to them.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 1:05:34 PM)
Lavender, I think you've done what you can. Now you need to wait.

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:05:36 PM)
David there is usually a trickle down effect beginning with HBS.  If HBS goes, everyone goes to the WL.

WL09 (Mar 19, 2009 1:07:04 PM)
Natalie, thanks for all the advice so far, it's very helpful! Would you have an explanation as to why certain schools (Stern, in my case) put interviewed and non-interviewed students on the WL? Does it mean something to be in one category vs. the other?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:07:11 PM)
Tip: if you are asking for feedback, keep the question positive. Ask how you can improve your application and not what is wrong with my application. It makes a difference in how a committee sees your confidence.

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:08:28 PM)
WL09. I used to do the same thing. The interviewed candidates may not have shined as much as they could have in the interview. The candidates who were not interviewed have potential.

david (Mar 19, 2009 1:09:01 PM)
Natalie: it seems like MIT is using the waitlist a LOT this year. Is that what you have heard, and do you expect them to dive deeply into it this year?

heb (Mar 19, 2009 1:09:43 PM)
Natalie - Are my chances any better if my application is rolled to Round 3 since there are usually fewer applications submitted in Round 3?

waitlisted (Mar 19, 2009 1:13:23 PM)
Natalie: I have heard from numerous (though not official) sources that this year is much more competitive than previous years. Can you speak about that at all?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:14:22 PM)
Waitlisted. Schools anticipated a more competitive year, but that is not how it turned out. It's pretty much on par with last year.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 1:15:42 PM)
David, I haven't, but for all schools remember that they don't waitlist people to torture them. They waitlist people to keep their options open and ensure a full class.

waitlisted (Mar 19, 2009 1:16:00 PM)
Natalie: So if you were interviewed and then waitlisted, that could be bad?

hello56 (Mar 19, 2009 1:16:21 PM)
Linda: I sent my letter to Sloan 4 days after receiving my WL status. I didn't have an offer then, but now I do. Should I let them know (i.e. write another email)? Also, I didn't ask for feedback in my letter (I didn't think about it when I wrote the letter), should I ask for feedback now? Or is it too late, I´d better leave it without feedback (since I already sent a letter)?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:16:59 PM)
Waitlisted. You were not denied. That would be bad. You probably could have done better in the interview if you were waitlisted after the interview. That rule is only for schools who conduct interviews by invitation.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 1:17:08 PM)
Hello56: If MIT remains your first choice, I would NOT write them about the other offer until you are shortly before a point in time when you must commit.

waitlisted (Mar 19, 2009 1:17:24 PM)
Natalie: Do you have any information regarding Wharton's waitlist and whether they tend to take people from it? Since theirs is different from other schools in that if you are WLed in Round 1, you are then placed in the Round 2 pool. Do you think the chances for admit are better or worse?

GimmeKellogg (Mar 19, 2009 1:17:47 PM)
Linda: In terms of timing, by when do B-schools typically give their final decision? I am WLed for Kellogg's one-year program, which means school would start in June.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 1:18:23 PM)
GimmeKellogg, they can give their decision up until the first week of class. That happens to a small percentage of people, usually local waitlisted applicants, but it does happen.

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:18:41 PM)
Waitlisted. Wharton keeps all options open. They may keep you on the waitlist or take you off anytime in the process. They manage their enrollments well by using this process.

lavender (Mar 19, 2009 1:18:45 PM)
Natalie, I have heard that HBS will increase its class size - do you think this will by any chance cause the ripple effect you mentioned?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:19:44 PM)
Lavender, if in fact HBS does increase its class size, it will cause a ripple effect because their program is so large and has such a high yield.

festac (Mar 19, 2009 1:19:58 PM)
Linda: If you do get admitted after being on the waitlist, can you admission be deferred?

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 1:20:07 PM)
Festac: Very unlikely!

waitlisted (Mar 19, 2009 1:20:12 PM)
Thank you both so much for your helpful insight!

hello56 (Mar 19, 2009 1:20:19 PM)
Linda, should I still ask MIT for feedback on my application, even after having sent a letter to them?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:20:35 PM)
Aki23, Cornell does give feedback. You should call them and set up an appointment.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 1:20:40 PM)
Hello56, unless something has changed, MIT does not give feedback.

heb (Mar 19, 2009 1:20:58 PM)
Natalie: If the school extends an offer very close to the start of classes, is there still sufficient time to secure loans?

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 1:21:41 PM)
I would like to pose a few questions to Natalie that have not been asked:

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:21:42 PM)
Heb. You will have sufficient time to secure loans. The financial aid officer will work with you to ensure that you can make your payments.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 1:21:56 PM)
I think community service is my weak spot. Is there anything I can do now?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:22:47 PM)
Yes. You can find an organization that needs your help and show some leadership while you are on the waitlist.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 1:22:53 PM)
What does being waitlisted mean for a possible reapplication in the event of rejection?

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:23:47 PM)
Many schools are reapplicant friendly and as long as your application is improved, they will be happy you reapplied to the program. Linda, as you know I worked with several clients who were in that position and had positive outcomes this year.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 1:24:56 PM)
Yes. you had great success with reapplicants this year.

Linda Abraham (Mar 19, 2009 1:25:02 PM)
Thank you again all for participating this evening. Please keep in mind that Accepted.com has several resources to help your waitlist effort:

Our ebook: The Nine Mistakes You Don't Want to Make on an MBA Waitlist, as well as our MBA Waitlist Advising and Editing services. We can evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, suggest how you specifically can apply the A, B, C’s of waitlist strategy, and review and edit your waitlist letter.

I also want to remind you of our upcoming waitlist chats:

Cornell Johnson    March 25

Michigan Ross     March 30

MIT Sloan            April 6

Please feel free to join us if you are waitlisted at these schools. Good luck with your applications!

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:25:13 PM)
Thank you all.

waitlisted (Mar 19, 2009 1:26:40 PM)
Thank you both! :)

WL09 (Mar 19, 2009 1:26:48 PM)
Thank you, Natalie and Linda! The tips were wonderful!

heb (Mar 19, 2009 1:26:50 PM)
Thank you both for your advice and insights.

aki23 (Mar 19, 2009 1:26:53 PM)
Thanks!

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein (Mar 19, 2009 1:26:54 PM)
Good luck to all of you!

GimmeKellogg (Mar 19, 2009 1:26:56 PM)
Thanks for all of your help and advice.

lavender (Mar 19, 2009 1:27:05 PM)
Thank you!

George (Mar 19, 2009 1:27:19 PM)
Thanks for your advice!

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room