2010 MIT Sloan MBA Q&A with Rod Garcia & Jennifer Barba

2010 MIT Sloan MBA Q&A with Rod Garcia & Jennifer Barba

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Aug 12, 2009 11:58:49 AM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome all applicants to the MIT Sloan chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Sloan. To make a sound decision and to get accepted, you need to know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask the experts about this outstanding business school.

I also want to welcome our special guests - Jennifer Barba - Assistant Director of MBA Admissions, and our surprise guest - MIT Sloan’s very own Rod Garcia- Director of Admissions. Welcome Rod & Jen - thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to participate in today’s Q&A.

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 11:59:33 AM)
Hello everyone! Thanks for joining us today.

RodGarciaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 11:59:37 AM)
Thank you and welcome all.

Linda Abraham (Aug 12, 2009 12:00:15 PM)
Rod & Jennifer: What’s new at MIT Sloan?

RodGarciaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:01:39 PM)
While Jennifer is answering this question, I want to welcome everyone and also apologize in advance that I can only stay for 30 minutes because of a previous meeting.

Linda Abraham (Aug 12, 2009 12:01:40 PM)
Rod, we're glad to have you for as long as you can join us.

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:01:46 PM)
Well, we just welcomed all of our new international MBA students from the Class of 2011 this morning. We are in the process of completing construction of a new building. We had a record number of applications last year, and we are excited to welcome our new class over the next couple of weeks, including 38% women and 37% international students.

Rity (Aug 12, 2009 12:01:51 PM)
Jen: I just changed my job. What options do I have for possible recommenders since I am not sure if my current supervisor knows me well enough to write a strong recommendation for me? What do you suggest?

eminent (Aug 12, 2009 12:01:55 PM)
Rod: How does the admissions committee view the prep course at mbamath.com? Is this recognized by the admissions office? Is this on par with taking a Calculus or Statistics course at a local college for the purposes of strengthening a candidate's quantitative profile?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:03:31 PM)
Rity, the best choices for recommenders are people who know you best. So, a previous/current supervisor would be fine, or possibly someone you've worked for as a volunteer. The best thing to do is find someone who can answer the specific questions we ask on the recommender form.

MBA_aspirant (Aug 12, 2009 12:03:42 PM)
Jen: Do you encourage applicants who are actively pursuing a business?

RodGarciaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:04:05 PM)
Eminent: So long as it prepares you for your MBA studies, then I support it. You don't need to have a higher level math to succeed at MIT Sloan. You just need to be able to do the analysis.

vikRed (Aug 12, 2009 12:04:14 PM)
Rod: I am interested in the Hi-tech industry. I would like to understand the synergy that exists between Sloan and the Engineering school and other avenues like the Media Lab.

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:04:33 PM)
Mba-aspirant, when you say "actively pursuing a business", do you mean that you are an entrepreneur? If so, then YES! We love applicants who have started (or in the process of) starting new companies.

vishal (Aug 12, 2009 12:04:38 PM)
Jen: What is the significance given to work experience in an application?

RodGarciaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:06:25 PM)
VikRed: It's hard to explain the ecosystem that exists within MIT. All I can say is MIT has "weak" boundaries, so that you can enrich your studies by doing work at other parts of MIT, such as Media Lab, Health Sciences and Technology, etc.

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:06:30 PM)
Vishal, each applicant's application package is different, and the different components of each individual's application will carry different weight. We do not have a simple split. Overall work experience is important, but it is just one piece of the total picture your application displays. So, if you only have 2 years experience, it would not be weighed as much as someone who had 12 years experience.

Nikhil (Aug 12, 2009 12:06:36 PM)
Jen: How important are Grad school GPAs if the major is the same as undergrad?

Steve (Aug 12, 2009 12:06:38 PM)
Rod: What's the difference between round 1 and round 2 in terms of total number of admissions, percent of admissions, and quality of applications?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:07:43 PM)
Nikhil, we are interested in seeing how well you've done in any academic setting, but we are looking at your undergraduate transcript as an indicator of academic success, because that is the one constant with all applicants.

Arnab (Aug 12, 2009 12:07:56 PM)
Hello Jen. Is MIT Sloan planning an admissions event/reception in India?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:08:34 PM)
Hello Arnab, we are still in the planning stages for scheduling all of our recruiting events. We hope to make it to India at some point this fall. Please continue to check our admissions events page for up to date information.

Rita G. (Aug 12, 2009 12:08:53 PM)
Hi Jennifer! In light of the current economic downturn, do you anticipate any program/curriculum alterations/additions for the class of 2010?

RodGarciaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:09:26 PM)
Steve: 1/3 of our applications are received in Round 1 and 40% of our class comes from that round.

Bryan (Aug 12, 2009 12:09:30 PM)
Rod: During the summer, when there are no students around, what should prospects make sure they get out of their campus?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:09:46 PM)
Hi Rita. We have added several new electives that focus on the recent financial crisis, but we do not anticipate any big curricular changes, nor are we increasing the class size.

Cam (Aug 12, 2009 12:09:49 PM)
Jen: How could I network with previous and current MBA students from Sloan to hear their personal experience with the program?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:11:16 PM)
Cam, the best way to connect with our alumni is to attend one of our recruiting events. We are holding over 100 events this fall, in cities all over the world. You can check our website to learn more about where you can meet us. You are also always welcome to visit campus, we have info sessions every day of the week throughout the fall.

molina (Aug 12, 2009 12:11:19 PM)
Jen: I'm an entrepreneur. Can you discuss the E&I program, The Entrepreneurship Center as support channels and how this plays in to building start-ups/companies out of MIT?

RodGarciaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:11:20 PM)
Bryan: We have breakfast info sessions that we hold during the summer. Unfortunately, we can't offer a class visit during that time. If you do come when classes are not in session, make sure you visit the Admissions Office and we'll promise that you will have a good experience.

Sonny (Aug 12, 2009 12:11:22 PM)
Rod: For the 2 recommendations, do they both have to be from supervisors or can one be from a peer?

RodGarciaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:12:03 PM)
Sonny: In my experience, recommendations from supervisors offer richer information than peers.

josetomas (Aug 12, 2009 12:12:18 PM)
Rod: Are there scholarships for international students? Are there no-co-signor loans?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:13:18 PM)
Molina, the E&I (Entrepreneurship and Innovation) Track is an option that we encourage MBA Students to pursue if they are interested in entrepreneurial activities while they are an MBA student. The Track requires 10 electives (chosen from about 30 options) to be completed during your 2 years here. It also has several special treks (trips) that bring students to visit companies/VC/PE firms all over the world. More information on E&I can be found online.

MBA_aspirant (Aug 12, 2009 12:13:23 PM)
Jen, this is a follow up to the question about the applicant who owns a business: Do you see the candidate as dividing his attention between two tasks: pursuing a business while doing an MBA?

RodGarciaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:13:55 PM)
Yes Josetomas, there are fellowships for everyone, but in limited quantities. We also have guaranteed loans for both US and non-US students. Additionally there are over 170 teaching and research assistantship positions available to our students and they pay anywhere from 33% to 55% of a semester's tuition if I recall correctly.

Samuel (Aug 12, 2009 12:14:00 PM)
Hi Rod: I'm interested in the finance concentration, but my impression is that MIT students are mostly from math/engineering backgrounds. Would this be the right fit for me (financial background)?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:14:06 PM)
Mba aspirant, we have students working on start-ups all the time. It does require some special time management skills but it's not uncommon.

1ori (Aug 12, 2009 12:14:11 PM)
Jen: Is there any advantage application-wise for having a master's degree?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:14:26 PM)
1ori, no there is no advantage to having a prior graduate degree.

Natalie (Aug 12, 2009 12:15:10 PM)
Hi Jen: I am interested in switching careers from engineering to social entrepreneurship and economic development focused in the Caribbean. Could you please elaborate on what connections and opportunities the Sloan school career service department has been able to provide students interested in this area with in the past?

RodGarciaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:15:53 PM)
Samuel: Not a problem. We have both a one-year Master of Finance and a finance concentration within the MBA program. By the way, more than 65% of our students are non-engineers.

Min (Aug 12, 2009 12:15:58 PM)
Rod: I know that in my essays, I'm advised to address topics within the last three years. Do I have to apply that same time frame to the cover letter?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:16:02 PM)
Over the summer, our MBA Admissions team has been busy setting up a special site for prospective applicants. It's called MIT SloanSpace. Here you can create a customized site that will allow for you to access the latest information on MIT Sloan. By completing your interest page, you'll be given access to this great tool.

RodGarciaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:16:06 PM)
Min: No.

hopeful_mba (Aug 12, 2009 12:16:29 PM)
Rod: How do you do the evaluation for reapplicants?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:16:48 PM)
Kiran, we love career changers! Typically over 80% of the students that complete our program become some type of career changer.

Robin (Aug 12, 2009 12:16:50 PM)
Jen: For someone who is unemployed, what would be your view in application process?

RodGarciaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:17:32 PM)
Hopeful, same as with first-time applicants. In fact, we admit reapplicants at the same rate as first-time applicants. The obvious question we asked when we review reapplicants of course is "what's new this time?". So, you need to address this "mental" question.

Rity (Aug 12, 2009 12:17:36 PM)
Rod: Are recommendations from college professors acceptable? Especially if I have been a student worker with the department?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:17:37 PM)
Robin, we understand that the current economic situation has caused many people to lose their jobs. That's okay. But we are interested in learning more about how you've been spending your time since you've been out of work.

Mike B (Aug 12, 2009 12:17:41 PM)
Jen: I've worked for a few companies over the years. Would you rather see recommendations from people who have worked in separate companies or only the last company that I've worked for?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:18:25 PM)
Mike B, we actually ask that applicants try to limit what they present in their application, to things that have happened in the past 3 years. So choosing a recommender you've worked with in the past 3 years would be our preference.

Samy P (Aug 12, 2009 12:18:29 PM)
Hello Jen: I work for a small-sized tech company that doesn't have much money. I have been given more and more responsibilities, but my salary has barely increased. Will this be a problem in the application? I could change jobs just for a raise.

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:19:12 PM)
Samy P, we don't ask what your salary is. We're only interested in the capacity of work you've been doing, and if you've continued to take on more responsibility, that's great!

7016rsf (Aug 12, 2009 12:19:25 PM)
Jen: Can you comment on whether there is a salient characteristic that you look for in applications? Is it leadership (and potential), quantitative abilities / raw talent, early success, etc? Or are you simply looking for a well-rounded, generally talented class?

RodGarciaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:19:34 PM)
Rity, they are useful in some ways. Academic recommenders can talk mostly about your academics, so if your grades were good and you have a decent GMAT or GRE score, then an academic recommendation doesn't give us "new" and useful data. Academic recommendations are helpful if you, let's say, did not do well in college due to illness or involvement in school activities.

MKapoor (Aug 12, 2009 12:19:37 PM)
Rod: What are some of the common pitfalls applicants make when writing Essays 1-3? What items should we exclude from these essays?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:20:50 PM)
7016- the evaluation process is not an exact science. So we are looking at each individual's application materials to help us determine if they make a good fit here at MIT. The competencies we are looking for in applicants fall into 2 buckets: Demonstrated success and personal attributes.

vikRed (Aug 12, 2009 12:20:55 PM)
Jen: I read somewhere on the Sloan website about teaching and research assistantships being available to MBA students. Is that correct? If so, how many are available and what % of tuition do they cover?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:21:47 PM)
VikRed. YES! TA/RAships are a great way to help students supplement the cost of tuition. Each semester, there are over 170 positions available to current MBA students and these will cover between 30-70% of your tuition for that semester.

zer (Aug 12, 2009 12:21:56 PM)
Jen: Is it OK to submit an additional (3rd) recommendation from a nonprofit that I have worked with extensively outside work?

RodGarciaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:22:31 PM)
MKapoor, most applicants think they have to dig up the "best" stories or stories with successful endings. We're not interested in the outcome, but rather in the process. So you don't have to dig up a story that took place 7 years ago because you liked that story. Give us a recent story  and be specific about your actions.

bm (Aug 12, 2009 12:22:34 PM)
Rod: Has the current economy slowdown significantly affected campus recruiting?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:23:17 PM)
Zer -- We would prefer if you do not submit a 3rd letter. We receive over 11 applications per seat in the class. We will only review 2 letters, but you cannot determine which 2 will be reviewed. So it's best if you just send us 2.

Dianca (Aug 12, 2009 12:23:22 PM)
Jen: I'm an entrepreneur too. Who do you recommend me to ask for my recommendations? I don't have any prior job experience since I started my business when I graduated from college.

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:23:52 PM)
Dianca, if your company has a board of advisers, that could be a good start.

Cam (Aug 12, 2009 12:23:58 PM)
Jen: What is the minimum GMAT score the Sloan committee will accept?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:24:22 PM)
Cam -- 710... just kidding! We have no minimum GMAT requirements.

Allison (Aug 12, 2009 12:24:30 PM)
Jen: For applicants with an undergrad humanities background, what is the best way for them to prove their ability to handle the quant aspects of the MIT MBA? Do you rely on their GMAT score to make your evaluation or do you expect to see other evidence of quantitative proficiency?

RodGarciaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:25:11 PM)
BM: Sure, it has affected the kinds of companies that recruit, but there are several opportunities out there. For example, there are jobs in energy or in risk management. It also has changed the way students look for a job. Many of them get their jobs through their own network or through the school's network. But the bottom line is our recent graduates have done very well in their searches this year.

Dave (Aug 12, 2009 12:25:15 PM)
Jen: I'm looking for some advice about when to apply to MIT. I was an engineer for 4 years and transitioned into a management role earlier this year. I love engineering and management and the LGO program is very compatible with my skill-set and experience. Do you think it makes more sense to wait a year and apply to start in 2011, just apply now or perhaps even wait longer? Does it matter that I've been out of an engineering role for 1, 2, or 3 years?

sfgirl (Aug 12, 2009 12:25:32 PM)
Rod: How important is the GPA? What can I do to improve my chances of getting in, if I have a GPA under 3.0?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:25:35 PM)
Allison, it is very common for humanities undergrads to apply (and be admitted). We look at work experience, your test scores and sometimes we will admit candidates without any quant experience, but ask that you take a class or two prior to enrolling.

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:27:37 PM)
Dave, you should apply when the time is right for you. If you have 4+ years experience already, you have more than enough material to submit an application. But if you feel that your application could be stronger with more experience, then you should wait. You could also speak directly with someone in the LGO admission office.

coolfox (Aug 12, 2009 12:27:58 PM)
Jen: How does my volunteer service and other community service, as well as GPA in my college compare in regard to significance? Would the GPA surface more, and does my GMAT need to be above 700?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:29:03 PM)
Coolfox: Everything counts. We're looking for a nice balance. Your GMAT (or GRE) score is just one indicator. But your work experience and volunteer work are important too. And you're GMAT does not need to be over 700.

Jams_2009 (Aug 12, 2009 12:29:08 PM)
Jen: When Rod says that MIT looks for people with "demonstrated success", what does he mean by that?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:30:06 PM)
Jams - demonstrated success means that you can give us evidence that your past performance demonstrates how you've been successful in comparison to your peers. So things like your GPA, GMAT/GRE and work experience help us to see this.

Vivek (Aug 12, 2009 12:30:21 PM)
Do we get a chance to work on live case studies in the industry during our curriculum?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:31:01 PM)
Vivek, yes. Every class will have some type of experiential component. So it may be a case study, or it might be a real consulting project.

jenniferwlee (Aug 12, 2009 12:31:05 PM)
Jen: Aside from course offerings, how does the MBA program at Sloan focus on the topic of sustainability? Have many alumni have gone on to work in this field?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:32:23 PM)
Jennifer, sustainability is HUGE at MIT Sloan. We have a set of faculty dedicated to this. Check out this site, which gives examples of classes, projects, internships, full-time employment and alums in the field.

Dustin Cathcart (Aug 12, 2009 12:32:25 PM)
How is a post-MBA interest in social entrepreneurship received? I understand the school's program has a tech focus-- do you have a lot of applicants interested in social entrepreneurship?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:33:40 PM)
Dustin, we do have a lot of applicants interested in social entrepreneurship. We've actually created a whole "road map" for students to follow that will help them gain exposure (and find a job) in this area.

Sumeet (Aug 12, 2009 12:33:45 PM)
Jen: Does MIT have classes for individuals who would like to get into micro-financing such as Grameen bank activities?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:34:49 PM)
Sumeet, yes! micro-finance is a hot topic these days. We offer several different elective offerings and the Private Equity / Venture Capital / and net Impact clubs all have ways for students to professionally gain exposure.

Serg (Aug 12, 2009 12:35:59 PM)
Jennifer: Since I'm an international applicant, could you say whether MIT faces changes in the number of applications from outside of US?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:36:40 PM)
Serg, because MIT was the first business school to secure guaranteed funding options for our students, we did not see a drop in applications from outside the US.

kevin (Aug 12, 2009 12:37:11 PM)
Does it have any negative impact to apply for both finance program and MBA? Or do you only accept those applicants who apply for the MBA program?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:38:00 PM)
Kevin, it does not have an impact. At this time, we do not compare lists of who has applied to which program. MBA and Masters in Finance have separate application processes.

John (Aug 12, 2009 12:38:06 PM)
What are some of the initiatives at Sloan this coming year?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:40:08 PM)
John, at MIT Sloan we always have a bunch of new things going on. It's a part of our continuous improvement process. There are always new electives and different opportunities for students to travel. We are focusing right now on employment options, and helping students gain access to all different types of companies to help them find jobs. And Sustainability, Global outreach and Entrepreneurship are hot topics on campus.

Shankari (Aug 12, 2009 12:40:13 PM)
I work for an organization and also run a business of my interest. How do you look at this? As a conflict of interest or my passion in running the business which demands tremendous effort and good time management?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:40:58 PM)
Shankari, it's all how you tell your story. We are very interested in candidates who can balance things.

Thibs (Aug 12, 2009 12:41:29 PM)
Jen: Do ties exist between the media industry and MIT? If so, how strong are these ties statistically speaking (i.e. % of alumni who work in media) and perhaps culturally speaking if applicable?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:43:04 PM)
Thibs, we have great ties with the media and entertainment industry. Our students also have access to the MIT Media lab, which also helps to create networks and opportunities. Check out our site for more info on trips/treks and electives in the area.

Bo (Aug 12, 2009 12:43:08 PM)
can someone explain how the Sloan program would help develop cross-functional competencies needed in real life, such as profitability in sustainable ventures?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:44:47 PM)
Bo, well, we hope that all of our offerings will help our students succeed in "real life". Our core curriculum addresses many different areas and we have 100's of electives in many different areas for you to choose from after the core .

Jaideep (Aug 12, 2009 12:44:50 PM)
Has the crisis affected Sloan's recruitment this year?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:45:40 PM)
Jaideep, yes, the financial crisis has impacted recruiting at MIT Sloan, but our students have still done very well. Our employment at graduation statistics were higher than any of our peer schools.

amoldj (Aug 12, 2009 12:45:43 PM)
How are higher degree candidates (MD, PhD) considered in the admission process? Do they still need high GMAT scores?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:46:34 PM)
Amoldj, yes, all applicants need a valid GMAT or GRE score. We look at students with previous degrees the same as those who don't have them. Basically, your additional academic experience is taken into consideration similar to work experience.

Thibs (Aug 12, 2009 12:46:38 PM)
Jennifer, just an extremely "practical" question: With so many applicants, how much time does an application receive from the admissions team, on average?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:47:21 PM)
Thibs, every application we receive is reviewed by at least 2 members of the adcom. When I review an application, it typically takes me between 20-35 minutes to evaluate.

Linda Abraham (Aug 12, 2009 12:47:22 PM)
Is there any difference in evaluation of students applying with a GRE as opposed to a GMAT?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:47:51 PM)
Hi Linda, thanks for asking. There is NO difference in the evaluation process for students who apply with a GMAT or GRE score.

Vivek (Aug 12, 2009 12:47:54 PM)
How important is international work experience when applying for the MBA program?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:48:13 PM)
Vivek, we do not require international work experience. All professional experience is considered.

Rity (Aug 12, 2009 12:48:24 PM)
I am a permanent resident of the US, but citizen of another country. Would I be considered an "international applicant"?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:49:01 PM)
Rity, you are not considered an international applicant. Those who have US permanent residency are counted in our domestic applicant numbers.

Adrianne (Aug 12, 2009 12:49:07 PM)
What qualities is MIT Sloan looking for from the candidate?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:49:51 PM)
Arianne, I encourage you to read the responses above. We are looking for candidates who have academic strength and demonstrated success.

Silvia (Aug 12, 2009 12:49:56 PM)
What percentage of your students are over 30?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:50:27 PM)
Hi Silvia. I'm not sure of this statistic. The average age for the class of 2011 is 27.5, ranging from 21-39.

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:51:47 PM)
Vikram, you'd be surprised at how many not so great letters of recommendation we get. The recommendation letters are a crucial piece of our evaluation. it's the only part of your application that is written by a 3rd party, and they do provide us with a lot of data.

Javier C (Aug 12, 2009 12:52:00 PM)
In Essay 3, it asks: Please describe a time when you took responsibility for achieving an objective. Just to confirm that I understood correctly; does it imply that you weren’t given the responsibility in the first place?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:52:57 PM)
Javier, not necessarily. We're looking for an example of how well you are able to set a goal and achieve it. How do you do it? What type of plan do you put in place? How do you motivate others to help you achieve that goal too?

hiro (Aug 12, 2009 12:53:05 PM)
How should international students deal with recommendations? Should they be translated professionally?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:53:28 PM)
Hiro, if your recommenders do not speak English, we ask that you have the letters translated and submit both the translated version and the original.

Azmi (Aug 12, 2009 12:53:37 PM)
Does a short-term goal of starting up right after an MBA with only 2 years of experience prior to MBA seem too far-fetched for the adcom to believe? Or is this just hearsay?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:55:07 PM)
Azmi, we actually do not ask applicants what their goals are post MBA. We also do not evaluate applicants on this if they do choose to include it. We are not in the position to judge if you'll be able to achieve the goals you have. But we do know that the majority of students who enter our program end up changing their plans along the way.

Dustin Cathcart (Aug 12, 2009 12:55:09 PM)
Jen: Is ETS' "GRE Comparison Tool" an accurate weight to find out how our GRE scores stack up against GMAT scores?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:55:46 PM)
Dustin, not really. We don't use that. We are typically looking for applications to have GRE scores in the 80th percentile or higher.

mjohn2 (Aug 12, 2009 12:56:00 PM)
Are there any added benefits or considerations given to veterans?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:57:29 PM)
Mjohn2, we do like to see applications from veterans. Veterans typically have extraordinary leadership experience, and usually have a great story to tell. We do offer some incentives for current members of the US military who choose to apply. Barry Reckley, assistant director of admissions manages our outreach to veterans. He'll be happy to help answer more specific questions you might have.

edobbins (Aug 12, 2009 12:57:35 PM)
Can you speak about some of the strengths of the marketing program?

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:57:43 PM)
Edobbins, the field of marketing science was invented at MIT Sloan by Prof. John Little. You can learn more about marketing on our website.

Linda Abraham (Aug 12, 2009 12:58:05 PM)
Thank you again all for participating. Special thanks to Rod & Jen for joining us today.

We look forward to seeing you at future chats. On deck:

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions Q&A chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details. 

Have a very good day! Good luck with your applications!

Jaideep (Aug 12, 2009 12:58:48 PM)
Thanks a lot Jen and Linda, we got valuable information from you all.

amoldj (Aug 12, 2009 12:58:53 PM)
Thanks to Jen, Rod and Linda!!

JenniferBarbaMIT (Aug 12, 2009 12:59:07 PM)
Linda, thanks so much for hosting us! And we look forward to seeing all of your applications soon!

Shankari (Aug 12, 2009 12:59:15 PM)
Thanks all!

Ravi (Aug 12, 2009 12:59:17 PM)
Thanks Jen!

Dustin Cathcart (Aug 12, 2009 12:59:20 PM)
Very helpful--thanks again.

Javier C (Aug 12, 2009 12:59:33 PM)
Thank you all!

Jams_2009 (Aug 12, 2009 12:59:38 PM)
Thanks!!!

Gagandeep (Aug 12, 2009 12:59:40 PM)
Thanks a lot!

Sumeet (Aug 12, 2009 12:59:42 PM)
Thank you Jen and Linda for your help and information.

MBA_aspirant (Aug 12, 2009 12:59:46 PM)
Thanks!

AspiringMaverick (Aug 12, 2009 12:59:49 PM)
Thank you for this fast-paced discussion.

Ravi (Aug 12, 2009 12:59:54 PM)
Thanks Jen!

Cenk (Aug 12, 2009 12:59:56 PM)
Thanks guys!

sarang (Aug 12, 2009 12:59:59 PM)
Thank you all!

Rafa (Aug 12, 2009 1:00:16 PM)
Thank you very much Jen!

pepe (Aug 12, 2009 1:00:18 PM)
Many thanks!!

Selena (Aug 12, 2009 1:00:21 PM)
Thank you very much!

Azmi (Aug 12, 2009 1:00:30 PM)
Thanks Jen for taking out time for this. Thanks Linda for setting up these sessions. Truly appreciate your efforts.

molina (Aug 12, 2009 1:00:48 PM)
Thanks, this was super helpful!!!

Serg (Aug 12, 2009 1:00:51 PM)
Thanks a lot!

Rity (Aug 12, 2009 1:00:57 PM)
Great chat.

Federico (Aug 12, 2009 1:01:07 PM)
Thank you all!

Rity (Aug 12, 2009 1:01:11 PM)
Thank you Linda, great job!

NateW (Aug 12, 2009 1:01:14 PM)
Thanks Linda and Jen :)

Linda Abraham (Aug 12, 2009 1:01:46 PM)
You're all most welcome. Good luck to you all with your applications. We will try to have more people available to answer questions on future chats.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room