2010 Notre Dame MBA Admissions Q&A with Brian Lohr

2010 Notre Dame MBA Admissions Q&A with Brian Lohr

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 11:59:49 AM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat.

First I want to welcome all applicants to the Notre Dame Mendoza chat today, and I want to congratulate you for taking the time to learn more about Mendoza. Whether you are working hard on your application to prepare for Notre Dame Mendoza’s Round 1 deadline on November 16th or you are doing research with the intention of submitting later this year, to make a sound application decision and gain acceptance to the school of your choice, you need to know as much as you can about the schools you are applying to. Being here today allows you to ask the Notre Dame Mendoza experts about this outstanding business school.

I also want to welcome our Mendoza guests today:

• Brian Lohr, Director of MBA Admissions
  • John Rooney, Senior Associate Director of Career Development
  • Kristi Martinez, One-Year MBA Program Student, from Raleigh, North Carolina. Kristi was most recently Assistant Vice President, Internal Consulting Group with the American Kennel Club.
  • Dag Brummett, Two-Year MBA Program Student, from San Diego, California. Dag was most recently a Pilot/Operations Officer with the United States Navy. He serves as President of the Notre Dame MBA Association.

Thanks to everyone for joining.

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:00:38 PM)
Thank you for having us Linda.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:00:49 PM)
You're welcome, Brian.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:01:50 PM)
Brian, how has Mendoza’s curriculum or program changed as a result of the recession, if at all?

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:01:57 PM)
John: How is Mendoza responding to the recession in terms of career development and job placement?

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:03:35 PM)
Linda, we have not changed our fundamental philosophy, but I would say our case analysis is geared to some of the more important topics of today.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:04:20 PM)
Kristi & Dag: What do you like best at Notre Dame Mendoza? What would you like to see improved?

JohnRooneyNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:05:50 PM)
Linda, we are being very aggressive in reaching out to our alumni to help facilitate one to one matches with companies that are hiring. We are also adding networking events that bring students together with business leaders in hot industries (Health-care/Bio-tech, Energy, CPG, Government, etc..). In the end, we are really rolling up our sleeves and pounding the pavement to make connections in the market place.

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:05:56 PM)
Linda, the professors are world class. I have been very impressed with the quality of the teaching. I also like the small class sizes & have gotten to know my classmates very well. In addition to forming lifelong friendships, they will be a great networking resource in the future.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:06:08 PM)
Thanks Brian.

Richard (Sep 24, 2009 12:06:23 PM)
Kristi: Could someone explain the schedule for the one-year summer session?

DagBrummettNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:06:44 PM)
Linda, ever since I stepped foot on campus, I knew I belonged here. The sense of community and friendliness of the people, from the students to the faculty, leads to a collaborative environment.

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:07:56 PM)
Kim, we have students come to our program with a wide range of work experience. The class that just arrived averaged about 60 months of work, but we also had some exceptional students directly from their undergraduate experience. We look at the whole person when making decisions.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:07:58 PM)
Kristi & Dag: Could you tell us a little about your Immersions option?

Aisling (Sep 24, 2009 12:08:07 PM)
Brian: Are fellowships proportionately offered to 2-year and 1-year students? I know some programs, like Northwestern, tend to grant more scholarships to 2-yr MBA students.

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:08:20 PM)
Sure Linda. The summer session was 10 weeks long and included 10 courses. We took two courses at a time, and each course typically lasted two weeks. Some courses are only one week long. The two week courses were Accounting, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Statistics, Management Communication, and Finance. The one week classes were Marketing, Strategic Essentials, Organizational Behavior, and Spreadsheet Modeling.

JohnRooneyNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:09:03 PM)
Kim, we stress the importance of each student to have a strong strategic and tactical plan for their career development. We help execute the plan by making connections with the right companies and the right people. In addition, we work with students to ensure they are positioning themselves correctly to recruiters. We also engage the ND alumni across the world to help support job seekers.

Ghouse (Sep 24, 2009 12:09:30 PM)
John: Hello - I am looking to specialize in Entrepreneurship and VC. What prospects or career lines do student, with these concentrations, get into after graduations? Do you know off-hand any companies that visited campus looking for these concentrations?

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:09:32 PM)
Aisling, nearly 65% of both the One-Year and Two-Year students receive some form of fellowship.

Esteban Rodriguez (Sep 24, 2009 12:09:37 PM)
Brian: How heavily are professional experience and community service weighed in acceptance decisions? Is any special consideration given to students who have had to work full-time to support their family while earning their undergraduate degree?

DagBrummettNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:10:41 PM)
Linda, I have personally taken full advantage of what Notre Dame offers by traveling to China (Beijing & Shanghai) for the two-week interterm intensive and I also traveled to Cape Town, South Africa for my summer internship.

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:11:24 PM)
Ghouse, community service is part of the ethos of Notre Dame, so that is certainly an important aspect. Professional experience and leadership in that experience is also a critical dimension. I think it says a great deal about a person if they can work and go to school at the same time.

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:11:46 PM)
The other immersion options are Latin America and Jamaica. We also have a course called Business on the Front Lines which includes a trip to a war torn countries like Lebanon and Bosnia.

Aisling (Sep 24, 2009 12:12:12 PM)
Can Kristi comment on why she chose the 1-year program and, in hindsight, if there are any drawbacks to doing so?

Jeff Anslinger (Sep 24, 2009 12:12:15 PM)
Brian: I'm interested in admission for the fall 2011 semester. Other than taking the required GMAT, what long term preparations can I start making now for the application process?

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:13:27 PM)
Dag, do you have any advice for students on the transition from the military to student life? Any tips for those planning to make the transition?

JohnRooneyNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:13:34 PM)
Ghouse - Entrepreneurship students go into three main areas: 1)Companies that value entrepreneurship (P&G, J&J, IBM are a few that come to campus. 2) They start their own ventures/businesses. 3) They work with start-ups (this is the smallest segment since start-ups look for more functional support vs. MBA graduates. The Gigot Center for Entrepreneurship is the center of this activity and the recently opened ND Innovation Park is an area of growth--be sure to check out the Gigot Center and ND Innovation Park on the web.

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:14:16 PM)
Aisling: I chose the one year program because it offered an opportunity to get back into the workplace quicker. It has been a really good fit for me. If you are trying to change careers (i.e. you're an accountant now, but want to get into marketing), the two year program might be a better option because of the summer internship. If your current work experience is in line with what you look to do in the future, the one year program is a great option.

kim (Sep 24, 2009 12:14:26 PM)
John: What are the top 5 hiring companies this year?

Jeff Anslinger (Sep 24, 2009 12:14:54 PM)
To the students: Do you have part or full time jobs?

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:15:42 PM)
Jeff,  I think it is very important to make sure you have career progression and obtain leadership within your current work experience. You should also start thinking about your recommenders. From an academic point of view, you know your skill set better than I, so if quant is an area you struggle in, then you should think about doing some prep work in that area.

JohnRooneyNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:15:45 PM)
Kim, the top 5 are IBM, GE, P&G, E&Y and Intel.

phoenix27 (Sep 24, 2009 12:15:48 PM)
Brian: Has your school had an increase in applications or decrease of applications since the recession?

DagBrummettNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:15:55 PM)
Jeff, no, I do not have a paying job. With the class load and extra-curricular activities, it is very difficult to carry a job.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:16:19 PM)
John: What should applicants do to prepare themselves for a tough job market, if there is one, when they graduate?

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:16:27 PM)
Jeff: No. It would be nearly impossible to hold a full time job while attending the one or two year MBA program. Classes are conducted during the day and many of the courses require a significant amount of group work. A part time job might be possible, but it would limit your involvement in clubs and other extracurricular activities.

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:16:31 PM)
Phoenix, we had a 33% increase in our domestic applications last year.

caluen (Sep 24, 2009 12:17:20 PM)
Dag and Kristi: How would you describe the overall student body within the 2-yr MBA program in regards to diversity and learning style?

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:17:30 PM)
Impressive Brian!

DagBrummettNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:17:35 PM)
Linda, a military transition is quite easy. Since Notre Dame has a strong relationship with prior service members, you receive help from both students and staff alike. There’s even a website prior service members can go to.

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:19:04 PM)
Caluen: In the two year program, 25% of the class is female, 17% are minorities, and 23% are international students. About 20% of the class is married. I would say the entire spectrum of learning styles is represented.

Cynthia (Sep 24, 2009 12:20:15 PM)
Kristi & Dag: What do students like best about the curriculum?

JohnRooneyNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:20:18 PM)
Linda- we stress the following: 1) Have a dream & plan and know that you can make it happen at Notre Dame. 2) Know your strengths and valuable experiences. 3) Know what companies will allow you to achieve your dream and will value your strengths/experiences. 4) Know how specifically you can help your target companies win in the market place. Once this is done - make sure you are solid in networking, interviewing, and researching companies (these are skills developed over time/repetition and you can get really good at these if you practice - we will help!).

DMarshall (Sep 24, 2009 12:20:53 PM)
John: Is career recruiting the same for the one year program and the two year program?

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:21:01 PM)
If not, how does it differ?

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:21:06 PM)
I feel a person’s commitment to ethics and academic excellence is extremely important. Also, I feel that a good candidate would be goal oriented; understand why they need an MBA to move to the next level of their career progression, and also a sense of balance in their life. Our program is rigorous, so physical wellness is important.

DagBrummettNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:21:34 PM)
Cynthia, of course each person has a different learning style. What I like about the classroom environment is that it uses an isocratic method, case studying, as well as experiential learning, especially during the interterm intensives. Also, the class has such a wide variety of work backgrounds... from an elementary school teacher, to a person working on the floor of the NYSE!

Jason (Sep 24, 2009 12:21:45 PM)
Brian: Does Notre Dame intend to introduce a Business Ethics concentration?

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:22:11 PM)
Cynthia: I think one of the primary reasons students choose Notre Dame is because of the focus on ethics. All of our classes emphasize the importance of ethical business practices, whether it is in accounting, marketing, or finance.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:22:47 PM)
Kristi, how is that focus revealed in class?

Cynthia (Sep 24, 2009 12:24:07 PM)
Kristi & Dag: How many classes are taken each semester and is the workload manageable with outside activities?

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:24:08 PM)
Jason, our Business Ethics is like the fudge in fudge ripple. It is throughout our program and has been in place for over 160 years! Nearly every class has opportunities to discuss business ethics.

DagBrummettNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:24:18 PM)
Cynthia, the Mod system allows a greater range of classes for students to take. A student takes 4 classes per Mod, which allows 32 classes during your time here.

JohnRooneyNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:24:30 PM)
DMarshall, Career Development is different for one year students - it is spends less time in assessing and researching possible career paths (less career switchers) and moves more quickly into targeting companies fit with your goals. Two year students have more time to determine their career paths and have an internship opportunity. We want one year students to hit the ground running once they get on campus - we have a very robust on-boarding process before you get to campus that helps both one year and two year students.

DMarshall (Sep 24, 2009 12:26:43 PM)
All: How does one know if they will be a good fit in the one year program as opposed to the two year program, even with a business undergrad?

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:27:01 PM)
Linda: It really depends on the class. For example, in my marketing class, we talk about ethical advertising to children. In my statistics class, we talk about the problems associated with presenting data in misleading ways. Ethical considerations are discussed throughout the curriculum, not just in an ethics class. An audit found that over 90 of our courses spent at least one class period discussing ethical concerns.

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:27:39 PM)
DMarshall, nearly one third of our class comes from a Humanities undergraduate background, so our class is diverse in that area. Our Mod System also offers a great deal of flexibility in course selection, so candidates can work on the areas that are important to them. Bottom line is we support all of our students when they become members of the Notre Dame Family.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:27:43 PM)
Thanks Kristi.

DagBrummettNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:28:04 PM)
DMarshall, time management is of key importance for any MBA program. The balance depends on the person and what he or she wants to get out of the program. For example, I enjoy volunteering at a local elementary school and my schedule allows that. I’m active in two other clubs and still have time for social activities.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:28:17 PM)
Kristi & Dag: The school web site mentions Interterm Intensives. Can you tell us about your experiences with this?

Jason (Sep 24, 2009 12:28:27 PM)
Brian: Is there any disadvantage to applying early over the "preferred" application date?

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:29:31 PM)
DMarshall: The one year program is a great fit if you aren't trying to change careers. For example, if you are currently an accountant, and would like to go into marketing, it might be a tougher transition. The two year program provides students with the opportunity to do an internship in the summer between Years 1 and 2. This is really helpful for career switchers. I would suggest the two year program to anybody that feels the summer internship is an integral part of their development.

DagBrummettNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:31:09 PM)
Linda, Interterm intensives are the way to gain great international experience, with two-week trips to China, Chile, and Argentina! Other intensives offer “Deep Dives” in real-world problems that corporations (like Boeing, GE, Coca-Cola) turn to the students for ideas. My first interterm intensive was a case competition for Coca-Cola within my class. In one week, we were presented with a problem, given the tools to effectively present the issues, and presented to members of Coca-Cola management.

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:32:06 PM)
Jason, I don't know that there is an advantage from one deadline to another from an admittance standpoint, but from a fellowship standpoint there would be. There is more fellowship money available earlier in the process.

Aisling (Sep 24, 2009 12:32:14 PM)
Brian: I read in last year's chat transcript that there is somewhat of a quantitative formula to awarding fellowships...could you comment more on this?

Cynthia (Sep 24, 2009 12:32:33 PM)
Kristi & Dag: What is unique about ND's program vs. other universities' programs?

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:34:02 PM)
Aisling, all of our fellowships are merit based, so a candidate's GMAT, GPA, Work Experience are taken into account in this area. This allows us to be fair and equitable in this area.

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:34:49 PM)
Cynthia: The collaborative nature of students is very unique. South Bend is a small town and our classes are small. You really get to know your classmates. The focus on ethics throughout our courses is also a special attribute. Lastly, the Notre Dame alumni network is renowned as one of the best in the world. My one year class only has 69 students. This is extremely small compared to other top schools. I love the small class size because it offers the opportunity to get to know your classmates and professors on a personal level.

tft (Sep 24, 2009 12:36:27 PM)
Brian, is it typically more beneficial to set up an interview prior to submitting an application? Also, do you evaluate applications early? For example, if an application was submitted on October 10th, would you make a decision prior to receiving the load of applications on or around November 16th?

JohnRooneyNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:37:14 PM)
Kevin, we work very hard to help students land internships (last year we placed 95% of our students in the internship and our goal is 100% this year). We focus on 1) Great one on one coaching (we meet with every student at least once but usually several times) 2) World class educational programs/workshops (examples are networking, job search strategy, interviewing) 3) We aggressively reach out to companies and alumni to develop opportunities. 2nd year students also help 1st year students get jobs through Career Action Groups (which focus on specific industries like CPG, Tech, Sales/Trading, and Sports Marketing). We have a great Career Development team that was ranked "A" by BusinessWeek.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:37:22 PM)
John, how is recruiting looking for 2010 grads? Are companies reserving interview slots? How does it compare to last year or two years ago?

DagBrummettNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:37:30 PM)
Cynthia, the Notre Dame class size is considered on the small side, with 135 second-year students. As such, you really get to know the members of your class VERY well. I think it adds to the collaborative environment we have at Notre Dame.

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:38:14 PM)
TFT, it makes the interview more meaningful for both parties if the application is submitted prior to the interview. We will evaluate applications prior to official deadlines.

Aisling (Sep 24, 2009 12:38:23 PM)
Dag or Kristi: Is anyone in the room able to comment on married life at ND?

CW (Sep 24, 2009 12:38:35 PM)
Brian or John: I have a question about flexibility in the second-year curriculum: Obviously, Mendoza has concentration tracks after the first year. However, within the concentration tracks, may students select courses from other schools at ND, in order to create quasi-specialized degrees in pursuit of short and long-term career goals? How much "room" do students generally have to take classes outside a given concentration track or to create a major/minor?

Aisling (Sep 24, 2009 12:39:44 PM)
Kristi, Dag: How willing are professors to engage in directed or independent studies?

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:39:52 PM)
Aisling: I am married. There are a lot of benefits for spouses, including football tickets and access to other resources on campus (like the library, the gym, etc.). About 30% of my class is married and about 20% of the two year class is married.

DagBrummettNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:40:13 PM)
Aisling, we have a Family Life Committee that helps spouses as well as their children not only transition to Notre Dame, but hosts family friendly events throughout the year.

Aisling (Sep 24, 2009 12:40:51 PM)
Dag, Kristi: About how much do the 2-week interterm immersions cost? Is there any outside funding available?

JohnRooneyNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:42:00 PM)
Linda, it is still early, but recruiting is up vs. a year ago. Last week we had our career fair and several industry nights and there were more recruiters on campus. We are very optimistic about the number of companies coming to campus and who are interviewing. It is still too early to tell if they will take just one candidate or hire in multiples like they did when we were in a better job market. In the end, there are a ton of opportunities if you work hard and work with the ND family.

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:42:15 PM)
Aisling: GA and TA positions are available every year. If you are interested in a position, I would suggest getting to know your professors well.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:43:38 PM)
John, any special advice for those wanting to explore international job prospects?

DagBrummettNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:44:00 PM)
Aisling, the immersion trips cost $1,500, plus travel costs. That covers hotel accommodations, some meals, trips and travel costs within the country. For my China trip, the air travel from Beijing to Shanghai was included. Since the immersion trips are educational in their nature, you can receive additional funds through the financial aid office. Many people chose to do that during my trip.

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:44:15 PM)
Esteban: You will typically go to class and lunch with a student. You will also go on a campus tour. And of course, there will be the interview, which tends to last about an hour. As a reminder, we are on Eastern time here in South Bend.

JohnRooneyNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:46:15 PM)
Linda, the number one skill needed in any job search is networking. This is certainly true for international opportunities. We have a great rep for networking - one reason is that we teach our students how to "Network Like a Champion". In addition, we have a great network all over the world including ND clubs in many major cities around the world. It all starts with knowing how you can help companies win in the marketplace.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:46:21 PM)
Brian: ND requires at least two years of “meaningful” work experience. Is there any leeway in that requirement? Any plans to reduce it? Does “meaningful” = “full-time”?

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:46:43 PM)
John, do you see any industries as being particularly active in recruiting Mendoza graduates and interns this year?

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:48:11 PM)
Kristi & Dag: What has been your best class? Professor?

JohnRooneyNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:49:41 PM)
Linda, hot industries include: Healthcare (J&J, Roche, Abbott, Humana, Bayer, Lilly) Energy (Exxon, Chevron, GE, Bosch) Tech (IBM, Intel, HP, Oracle, Cisco) and CPG (P&G, Smuckers, Mars, Pepsi, Whirlpool, General Mills).

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:49:53 PM)
Linda, one of the things our recruiters look for is judgment and often it takes 4-5 years of work experience to earn this judgment. This meaningful experience would include having direct reports, budget responsibility, and exposure to high levels within the organization.

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:51:21 PM)
Typically we admit approximately 30-35% of our applicants, but it all depends on the pool for next year.

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:51:23 PM)
Linda, one of the best classes I've taken is Negotiation. The course focuses on live negotiation simulations and mastering negotiation techniques. The professor is outstanding, and in fact, she was just named a finalist in the 2009 Faculty Pioneer Awards by the Center for Business Education (CBE) at the Aspen Institute.

Cynthia (Sep 24, 2009 12:51:27 PM)
Brian: I'm not familiar with a lot of the financial aid processes. What should I do now to prepare for applying to the program?

Lauren (Sep 24, 2009 12:52:15 PM)
Kristi, Dag: I am applying for Fall 2010, what is the best time to visit campus, both for interviews and to see the campus?

DagBrummettNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:52:36 PM)
Linda, I particularly like my Innovation class. The classroom environment has been top-notch, and the professor (Matt Bloom) has actual business experience in creating value through innovation in the corporate world. It has expanded my thought process and made me look at the world in a different way.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 12:52:46 PM)
Kristi & Dag: What attracted you to Notre Dame Mendoza? Has your experience met your expectations?

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:53:09 PM)
Cynthia, the place to start is through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This needs to be completed in early February. Type FAFSA into any search engine and you will get all the details you'll need.

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:53:10 PM)
Lauren: It is best to come before October 6th or after October 23rd. It's also best to come on a Monday-Thursday so you can attend a class.

Cynthia (Sep 24, 2009 12:53:24 PM)
John: Do students work with advisers and/or career counselors to determine their career paths?

JohnRooneyNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:54:19 PM)
Yes Cynthia, we have coaches in functional areas (marketing, finance, consulting, etc) and a coach for undecided/seeking students.

DagBrummettNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:54:40 PM)
Linda, YES! The Notre Dame experience just keeps on getting better! The people are amazing and each day brings something new.

Juan (Sep 24, 2009 12:54:50 PM)
Brian: I am interested in the 1-year MBA program. I have an undergraduate business degree (marketing) from Park University. It's an accredited university, but is not specifically AACSB accredited. Will this automatically disqualify me from the 1-year program?

CW (Sep 24, 2009 12:55:11 PM)
Dag: How flexible is Mendoza's second-year curriculum within the concentration tracks?

Jeff Anslinger (Sep 24, 2009 12:55:45 PM)
John: With an entrepreneurial focus in the 2 year program, what types of internships are available?

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:56:19 PM)
Juan, please contact me about this and we can discuss it in more detail.

Aisling (Sep 24, 2009 12:56:22 PM)
Brian: Is it fair to say that those 3 areas (GMAT, GPA, and Work Experience) are equally-weighted when awarding?

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:56:41 PM)
Yes, they are equally weighted.

Jason Miller (Sep 24, 2009 12:57:01 PM)
Brian: Has the school increased class sizes to accommodate the 33% increase in applications?

JohnRooneyNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:58:00 PM)
Jeff - many E students get internships with small companies or start-ups. This does not usually translate into a full time job. Many E students have a technical background and support E ventures on web development or other tech solutions. Other E students decided to get line function (finance, project management, and marketing) experience with big companies.

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:58:13 PM)
Jason, we have not because small classes and the sense of community that small class sizes afford are extremely important to the Notre Dame Experience.

DagBrummettNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:58:27 PM)
CW: During the second year, you have the option of selecting the classes you would like to take in your concentration track. As a General Management track, I am taking both Negotiations and Innovations this Mod. There is still flexibility to take classes outside of your concentration track.

caluen (Sep 24, 2009 12:58:30 PM)
Brian: If a letter of recommendation can not be provided by an applicant's immediate manager, will this negatively impact the applicant's chances of being admitted? Are there any options such as providing an optional essay explaining the situation?

gokul (Sep 24, 2009 12:58:35 PM)
Kristi: How big can a core class size get at Mendoza? Does it feel crowded at any point?

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 12:59:56 PM)
Gokul, a core class will have 60-70 students. The classrooms have theater seating in a U-shaped format. You will have plenty of space. We pride ourselves on small class sizes at Notre Dame.

Lauren (Sep 24, 2009 12:59:58 PM)
John: Where do the majority of Notre Dame MBAs end up after the program? Is it predominantly Chicago?

caluen (Sep 24, 2009 1:00:02 PM)
For students: If you could choose one or two things that you wish you accomplished while enrolled in the ND MBA program, what would it be and why? Was there a class, event, or club you would have liked to participate in but couldn't for some reason?

KristiMartinezNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 1:00:31 PM)
Caluen: There are so many options at Notre Dame that it's hard to find time for everything.

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 1:01:01 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Brian, John Kristi & Dag for answering all these questions.

Upcoming chats:

For details, please visit our chat schedule page. If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list.

Good luck with your applications!

BrianLohrNOTREDAME (Sep 24, 2009 1:01:17 PM)
Thank you Linda!

Linda Abraham (Sep 24, 2009 1:02:56 PM)
You're welcome Brian.

Information about Accepted.com's consulting and Editing Services

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room