2010 Michigan Ross MBA Waitlist Q&A with Jonathan Fuller

2010 Michigan Ross MBA Waitlist Q&A with Jonathan Fuller

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Linda Abraham (Mar 18, 2010 12:01:29 PM)
Hello. My name is Linda Abraham. I am the founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s chat. First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com’s 2nd Michigan Ross waitlist chat. I also want to welcome  Jon Fuller, Senior Associate Director of Ross MBA Admissions  and Eun Ja Yu & Kelly Kong Rogers, Associate Directors of Admissions.

Thanks to everyone for joining.

GauravMisra@London (Mar 18, 2010 12:02:54 PM)
Hi Eun Ja and Kelly: Thank you for taking the time to talk to us. I was just wondering from your experience what the waitlist clearance rate has been at Ross.

G. Tan (Mar 18, 2010 12:03:06 PM)
Jonathan, have you noticed any common qualities among waitlisted candidates who are ultimately accepted? What sets them apart from other waitlisters?

LilyC (Mar 18, 2010 12:04:00 PM)
Kelly: Will all accepted waitlist candidate receive second interviews before getting the admission?

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:04:42 PM)
Gaurav: After the R3 review, we'll review on a rolling basis and make offers on an as-needed basis after we get replies from all of the folks who were admitted.

LilyC (Mar 18, 2010 12:04:52 PM)
Eun Ja: Thanks for hosting this Q&A session. Should updates be submitted by 4/15 so that the admission committee may have time to evaluate updates and make a decision with R3?

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:05:47 PM)
LilyC, candidates only receive one interview cycle.

LilyC (Mar 18, 2010 12:06:12 PM)
Kelly: Do you have any target last day to consider waitlisted international candidates?

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:06:14 PM)
G. Tan - Hmm. Our applicant pool is generally quite diverse on many levels, so it's somewhat hard to pin down a characteristic as to what it takes to be successful in the waitlist process. I guess I'd have to say that the characteristics are similar to those who are admitted initially - strong professional experiences, academic excellence, demonstrated leadership, and a passion for Ross' educational methodologies. Through the WL process, some WL applicants will stand out more than others as the class forms.

Livestrong (Mar 18, 2010 12:06:17 PM)
Hello and thanks for hosting the chat. Jonathan, is there an advantage or disadvantage to being waitlisted without an interview? For those who were waitlisted without an interview, should they expect to be interviewed in Round 3?

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:06:38 PM)
LilyC: You should send updates to the committee at rossmba@umich.edu as soon as possible.

LilyC (Mar 18, 2010 12:06:42 PM)
Eun Ja: Will you start to inform the waitlist result on May 15th or later?

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:07:16 PM)
Livestrong - There is no advantage or disadvantage at all. An interview request can come at any time from us in the review process. All admitted students will have an interview, so you may be contacted in the coming weeks.

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:07:20 PM)
LilyC—international candidates are considered through May/June due to visa constraints.

nizzle (Mar 18, 2010 12:07:28 PM)
Jon: Is it true the waitlist is used by the committee to construct a diverse class? For example, if you have one Russian ballet extraordinaire already admitted, if you belong to the same category, will you have to wait until he/she makes his/her decision regarding matriculation? I ask this, because I am one of the "unique" applicants.

Vineet (Mar 18, 2010 12:07:30 PM)
Hi Kelly, do we send our updates to an admission director (like yourself)?

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:08:42 PM)
LilyC: We will review your application again in the R3 pool. We may drop some people from the WL at each round as well; we see no sense in keeping people on the WL if there is little likelihood of there being space in the class. After the R3 review, we'll review on a rolling basis and make offers on an as-needed basis after we get replies from all of the folks who were admitted.

ABSolar (Mar 18, 2010 12:08:45 PM)
Eun Ja: Will no one from the waitlist be admitted before the R3 deadline?

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:09:06 PM)
Vineet - If you have your AD contact info, feel free to email them directly. If you do not know your AD contact info, please send updates to RossMBA@umich.edu and your queries will be directed accordingly.

Seabron (Mar 18, 2010 12:09:08 PM)
Kelly: Obviously waitlisted candidates have had the opportunity to tell their story to the person with whom they interviewed, as well as anyone else from the Adcom who they have met at various events. Is it looked upon favorably to try and build a relationship/have conversation with members of the adcom who you may not have connected with over the course of the process?

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:09:50 PM)
ABSolar: It's hard to determine, but most likely you'll be notified in R3.

Anjani Kiran (Mar 18, 2010 12:10:08 PM)
Hi Eun Ja: I was waitlisted in R1. Some R1 waitlisted candidates reported that they checked their Wolverine access and found out they were dropped off of the waitlist. They seem to not have received any prior communication on status check. Should we all be continuously monitoring our application status on Wolverine access?

Manish Gera (Mar 18, 2010 12:10:37 PM)
Hi Jon, Eun Ja Yu and Kelly. Thanks so much for taking out time to help us waitlisted candidates with our queries. I am sure this session will be immensely helpful for all of us.

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:11:55 PM)
Hi Anjani: Yes, all waitlisted candidates should monitor their application status on Wolverine access. As we mentioned, after each round we review all waitlisted applicants with that pool, and either admit, continue to waitlist, or deny them.

Ross2012 (Mar 18, 2010 12:12:11 PM)
Eun Ja: If I plan to retake the GMAT, do you recommend doing so before a certain date? For example, is mid-May too late?

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:12:25 PM)
Manish: Thank you for being on this chat today and hope you and the other candidates find this helpful.

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:12:49 PM)
Seabron - I'm glad you've had a chance to connect with members of the Ross community and I hope you've had a positive experience. Connecting with the Ross community is not an update that is germane to our evaluation.

Sdnathan (Mar 18, 2010 12:12:52 PM)
Kelly: Thanks for hosting this chat. As a R1 WL, where/when should I expect an update to my status?

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:13:29 PM)
Ross2012: We would recommend you taking the GMAT and sending us the score before April 15th.

TaiSua (Mar 18, 2010 12:13:34 PM)
Eun Ja, thanks for your time. If what I have done is not related to my job, but to charity projects that create an impact for the community, will the AdCom consider such supplemental information?

Livestrong (Mar 18, 2010 12:13:58 PM)
Thank you!

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:14:24 PM)
Sdnathan - You're very welcome. Status changes will be released around the R3 notification deadline of May 15th and will be accessible via Wolverine Access.

Ross2012 (Mar 18, 2010 12:14:28 PM)
Jon: Can waitlist candidates receive specific feedback regarding what their applicant weaknesses are?

Seabron (Mar 18, 2010 12:14:54 PM)
Kelly: Is the Adcom amenable to receiving additional letters of recommendation, and if so, how should those be submitted? Does the recommender need to answer certain questions as with the normal course application?

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:14:57 PM)
TaiSua: Hi there. Yes, you may send us significant work you are doing outside of work (extra-curricular).

Keely (Mar 18, 2010 12:15:15 PM)
Eun Ja: Hi from a R1 waitlister. I know Soojin's blog post said that there may be some movement for R1 waitlisted applicants in the next few weeks. Are there any more specifics available regarding the timing?

Simon (Mar 18, 2010 12:16:28 PM)
Jon: Are all the waitlisters guaranteed a review in the subsequent round or is it possible to get dropped from the waitlist without a review?

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:17:57 PM)
Seabron - In general, we don't put a lot of value on additional recommendations at this stage. We look at the recommendations that you've already submitted for this type of information.

Vineet (Mar 18, 2010 12:18:16 PM)
Kelly, if I understood the process correctly,  all the international students in WL should know by July 1st—correct?

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:18:26 PM)
Keely: Hi there. Unfortunately, we do not have any specific timing as to when there will be movement for R1 waitlisted applicants. We are currently reviewing R3 apps, so we will be able to review R1 &  R2 waitlisted applicants with R3 apps.

Manish Gera (Mar 18, 2010 12:18:40 PM)
Eun Ja: On a previous year's chat transcript I read that no follow up from applicants is considered lack of interest. What would you advise a candidate who doesn't have any thing 'significant' to share? In the past, have people who didn't provide any updates been admitted?

Decided (Mar 18, 2010 12:20:15 PM)
Jon: Does Ross follow an internal waitlist rank? And do you narrow down the list after each round?

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:20:27 PM)
Vineet--Yes, we try to notify international students by June so there is adequate time to process the necessary paperwork.

Vineet (Mar 18, 2010 12:20:34 PM)
Kelly-- thanks for responding to my first question, is there any way to find out who my AD is?

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:20:47 PM)
Manish: Perhaps that was true in the past, but it is not the case now. We only want significant updates from waitlisted candidates, so we don't expect to hear from you, except to respond to emails that ask you if you're interested in continuing to stay on our waitlist.

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:21:04 PM)
Simon--we do review all of our applicants in the round in which they apply. Subsequently, we'll review you again as a WL applicant throughout the rest of the admissions cycle.

Anjani Kiran (Mar 18, 2010 12:21:29 PM)
Eun Ja: I read the following on Soojin's blog: "For those of you who were waitlisted in Round 1, we didn't change many decisions at this point, but expect to do so over the next few weeks. Again, we will contact you if there is a change in your status." Regarding the line "over the next few weeks" --Does this mean R1 waitlisters can hear before the R3 decision deadline?

LilyC (Mar 18, 2010 12:21:51 PM)
Jon: Do each of us have an associate director contact? Or should all material go through Rossmba@umich.edu? I read the latest transcript and it seems we can ask who are managing our applications. Thanks.

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:21:52 PM)
Vineet - please send any significant updates or questions to RossMBA@umich.edu. Your inquiry will be forwarded accordingly, and your AD will respond to you directly.

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:22:14 PM)
Anjani: Yes, it's possible to hear from us before the R3 decision deadline.

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:22:24 PM)
Decided --no, we do not rank order the WL applicants, but we do narrow the list down as time goes by through our review process. For instance, we informed some round 1 WL applicants that they were being moved to deny earlier this month.

TaiSua (Mar 18, 2010 12:22:33 PM)
Jon - I don't have an AdCom contact and I sent the first email with supplemental info to RossMBA@umich.edu. Will Ross let me know the name of the AdCom who will manage my application, so that next time I can send it directly to that person?

Seabron (Mar 18, 2010 12:22:56 PM)
Thank you for your response Kelly. I appreciate it.

ABSolar (Mar 18, 2010 12:23:31 PM)
Kelly: Recognizing the vast amounts of variables in any given year, is it possible to put a range on expected acceptance from the waitlist?

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:23:38 PM)
If you have the contact information for an AD, then you can contact that individual directly. If you don't, then materials can go through the rossmba@umich.edu address and it'll be routed accordingly. Having the individual contact isn't essential to the evaluation process.

Ross2012 (Mar 18, 2010 12:23:49 PM)
Jon: If an applicant applied via Consortium and was waitlisted, is it prudent for him/her to complete a Ross essay topic that was not required via the Consortium-Ross application that would add another element to his/her profile not already covered elsewhere?

G. Tan (Mar 18, 2010 12:24:31 PM)
Eun Ja: To piggyback on Livestrong's question.. are there reasons why the adcom waitlists applicants that have not interviewed? Is it due to timing constraints during the round  in which they applied?

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:25:35 PM)
Ross2012 - I wouldn't say that you need to specifically complete an essay as part of your update information, but if you find that the update corresponds well to one of the Ross-specific essays, then that may be a good structure with which to work.

G. Tan (Mar 18, 2010 12:25:41 PM)
Jon, does Ross give preference to R1 waitlisters over R2 waitlisters when reviewing files in R3?

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:25:49 PM)
ABSolar - We don't target a certain # of WL'd applicants. In some years we've had a large waitlist, in others we've had a small list. The # who may be admitted from that list also varies, depending on the yield among the folks we admitted.

Gaurav Verma@Atlanta (Mar 18, 2010 12:26:00 PM)
Hi Kelly, I would like to know if admissions likes to know about a synopsis of the communications and background a candidate may have had with current Ross students.

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:26:02 PM)
You're very welcome, Seabron!

Shubha (Mar 18, 2010 12:26:36 PM)
Kelly: Is the review of all R1 waitlisted applications complete? Is there any chance that I see some change in status before the R3 deadline, as a R1 waitlisted candidate?

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:26:56 PM)
G. Tan -- no preference. The evaluation is solely on the merit of the applicant rather than the timing of the application.

all_the_best (Mar 18, 2010 12:27:36 PM)
Jon: How can one send any information on promotions, etc at work? Does it need to come from the supervisor or the candidate him/herself?

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:27:42 PM)
G.Tan: It's due to a number of different variables. But just know that anyone who is admitted will definitely have had an interview.

Ross2012 (Mar 18, 2010 12:27:48 PM)
Eun Ja: If it is not possible to retake the GMAT prior to April 15, what else can an applicant do to strengthen his numerical profile? Do you view taking MathMBA.com germane for applicants with low GPAs?

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:28:47 PM)
All_the_best - It's appropriate for the update to come directly from the candidate.

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:29:01 PM)
Gaurav, there was a section in the application that asked for any Ross contact. If you're referring to contact since the application, there is no need to summarize your post-application Ross contact.

Decided (Mar 18, 2010 12:29:01 PM)
Jon: Thank you for taking the time out to answer our questions. Does Ross have a certain demographic mix in mind while selecting the incoming class and if so how does that affect the waitlisted students?

Manish Gera (Mar 18, 2010 12:29:12 PM)
Kelly - Would you advise re-doing an essay? Especially the first essay, where I want to show my enhanced understanding about the Ross MBA?

Takashi (Mar 18, 2010 12:29:36 PM)
EunJa: Good day to you and thank you very much for hosting the chat. I am happy to communicate with you again.

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:29:37 PM)
Ross2012: If you are currently taking some quant classes, then please submit that information as soon as possible. However, if you're planning to enroll in a class now, we may not get the results of your performance before April.

G. Tan (Mar 18, 2010 12:29:49 PM)
Eun Ja: In the past, waitlist candidates were able to contact/update the specific admissions director that signed their decision. Is that still the case or should we send everything to rossmba@umich.edu?

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:30:17 PM)
Takashi: Hi there. Glad to see you on this chat. Thanks for your continued interest in Ross.

Gaurav Verma@Atlanta (Mar 18, 2010 12:30:23 PM)
Eun Ja Yu, if a prospective student gets admitted to another program in the meantime, is it a good idea to tell Ross admissions about it and can the decision be expedited?

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:30:50 PM)
Shubha - It's possible to hear a change in status before the R3 deadline.

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:31:17 PM)
Decided - we do have an approximate mix in mind, but we aren't really rigid with it. For instance, our US/International mix was about 2/3 US and 1/3 international last year. If we come out at 32%, that's fine. If we come out at 34%, that's fine, too. Our decisions are based on an individual's merit, but the art of the process means that we tend to have a very consistent make up for each year's overall class.

Ross2012 (Mar 18, 2010 12:31:24 PM)
Jon: Thank you. Will it be okay to submit this additional info even if it's not technically an "update" since I applied? For example, if I feel the Consortium application did not cover all aspects of my candidacy, can I submit a short essay illuminating this info?

Manish Gera (Mar 18, 2010 12:31:26 PM)
Kelly--I submitted 2 professional recommendations. Would another recommendation from the community work make a difference at this time (however, my involvement in this effort is not a new development)?

Gaurav Verma@Atlanta (Mar 18, 2010 12:31:43 PM)
Great question, Manish.

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:31:55 PM)
G. Tan: Please send everything to Rossmba@umich.edu. The Admissions director who manages certain regions will receive that candidate's information. So no worries -- the AD will see the info and review it.

tony (Mar 18, 2010 12:32:32 PM)
Hi Eun Ja: I'm a R2 waitlisted applicant and am wondering how I can find out my weaknesses. Do I get to talk to an application manager? I'm also worried about the visa problem since I'm an international applicant.

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:33:21 PM)
Gaurav: It will be good for you to let us know of any changes, like being admitted to another school, however, that does not guarantee that we will expedite your application.

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:33:22 PM)
Ross2012 - I wouldn't dissuade you, but that's a judgment call on your part (as it is for all updates). From our view, we get all of the needed information from the Consortium application process that we do from the standard Ross application process.

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:33:42 PM)
Manish - there isn't a need to resubmit essays. Please send significant updates since you submitted your application.

Simon (Mar 18, 2010 12:33:43 PM)
Jon: Because of my low undergraduate GPA, I have been taking classes at a nearby college wanting to show that I am ready for the academic challenges at Ross. Unfortunately, the class I am taking will not be completed until 5/26/2010. Is it possible to make a note on my application that I am taking this class even though I will not have a transcript ready until the last week of May?

nizzle (Mar 18, 2010 12:33:55 PM)
Kelly: As a waitlisted candidate, if we are pushed into putting down a deposit for another similarly ranked school, should we notify the committee and ask for an expedited decision?

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:34:51 PM)
Simon -- yes, that would be an appropriate update. If a midterm grade or other progress report is available, that would be good to include even though it's not officially transcripted.

Ross2012 (Mar 18, 2010 12:35:03 PM)
Jon: Can waitlisted applicants receive feedback directly from the adcom as to why he/she was waitlisted? This would help greatly in structuring our efforts here.

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:35:19 PM)
Manish - In general, we don't put a lot of value on additional recommendations.

Simon (Mar 18, 2010 12:36:30 PM)
Thanks for the answer Jon, it was exactly what I was looking for!

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:37:02 PM)
Nizzle - please do let us know of any changes in your business school decision making process. However, we can not promise that we will make any decisions in an expedited way.

Vineet (Mar 18, 2010 12:37:08 PM)
Hi Kelly -- any specific format/word limit for the updates?

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:37:08 PM)
Ross2012 - While I definitely understand that desire, we don't present those kinds of opportunities to WL'd candidates. Some candidates who are denied will be given the opportunity for feedback, but that offer won't be made until the conclusion of the admissions season. I often advise individuals to consult with a trusted peer, mentor, etc., or perhaps a personal contact that you may have at Ross. Those kinds of individuals can often give good insight.

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:37:17 PM)
Tony: Due to limited time, staff, and resources it's not possible to give one on one feedback to every waitlisted candidate, so it's best to review your own application to see what you think may have been weak. Today's chat is a good way to ask questions -- we are all on the admissions committee.

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:37:24 PM)
You're welcome, Simon.

LilyC (Mar 18, 2010 12:37:28 PM)
Jon: Thanks for your time to share with us this very helpful information! One more question: How can we confirm that our updates do reach the RossMBA@umich.edu?

GauravMisra@London (Mar 18, 2010 12:37:35 PM)
Eun Ja: Is the adcom constantly considering the demographics of the admitted class before accepting a waitlisted candidate?

Ruskyn (Mar 18, 2010 12:37:52 PM)
Kelly - Apologies if my question has already been answered. My question is, what kind of documents/updates does Ross Accept? For example - do you accept an additional recommendation, job-related updates,  and additional courses etc?

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:38:28 PM)
LilyC - it's something of an act of faith! If you send it, trust me, we received it and it's been incorporated into your application file.

nizzle (Mar 18, 2010 12:38:40 PM)
Thanks, Kelly

Linda Abraham (Mar 18, 2010 12:39:01 PM)
Jon: What applicant behavior detracts from a waitlisted applicant's chances?

Ross2012 (Mar 18, 2010 12:39:13 PM)
Kelly: Would you suggest that an applicant with a below average GMAT score to retake the GMAT, even if the target date is after April 15th? Or does the Adcom prefer all updates to be in by April 15th?

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:40:44 PM)
Ruskyn - we look for any significant updates such as an improved GMAT Score, promotion, new role,  or award, etc. Please send via email to RossMBA@umich.edu.

G. Tan (Mar 18, 2010 12:41:39 PM)
Thank you Eun Ja, Jon and Kelly! Eun Ja: How does being accepted off the waitlist affect a candidate's 1st year experience? For example, we would miss the admitted students' weekend in April but would we miss anything other significant experiences such as M-Trek?

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:41:59 PM)
Gaurav: We do strive for crafting a diverse class on every dimension.

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:42:03 PM)
Good question, Linda. There's a fine line between showing your enthusiasm for Ross/being admitted and being over zealous. For instance, do your best to not email the school every other day with an update or send unsubstantial updates that essentially state "I really, really, really want to come to Ross". We get that, and we know it's stressful, but applicants need to trust the process and hopefully have the insight to know what's appropriate.

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:42:08 PM)
Ross2012—the earlier the better in terms of updates.

Gaurav Verma@Atlanta (Mar 18, 2010 12:42:14 PM)
Hello Jon, is there a deadline for sending updates before Admissions would generally make decisions on waitlisted candidates? I would appreciate your inputs. Thanks!

Linda Abraham (Mar 18, 2010 12:43:23 PM)
Kelly: If a waitlisted applicant stays on the waitlist and doesn’t get accepted this year, does he or she have a better chance when reapplying next year?

Ruskyn (Mar 18, 2010 12:43:39 PM)
Jon: Are our updates dependent on their relevance to our Goals/Why MBA?

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:44:10 PM)
Gaurav - in a nutshell, the sooner the update, the better. The quality is the bigger importance, though.

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:44:20 PM)
Linda - Being waitlisted in one year has no impact on our decision if an applicant reapplies the following year. While we do keep the application materials for a year and use that as part of the subsequent year's evaluation, it doesn't improve an applicant's chances of admission.

Linda Abraham (Mar 18, 2010 12:44:22 PM)
Jon, would it also be fair to say that brevity is valued in the updates? Quality over quantity.

gpt (Mar 18, 2010 12:45:30 PM)
Hi Kelly, this is Aseem from India. I was waitlisted in R1. Does a waitlist status strictly mean that there is a certain weakness in the application, and hence only those updates are significant which address that weakness?

GauravMisra@London (Mar 18, 2010 12:45:41 PM)
This is great interaction and thanks to everyone involved for making this happen.

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:45:43 PM)
Ruskyn - I wouldn't necessarily require it to make that connection. For instance, your update might have something to do with your current job, but your goals are to go in a completely different post-MBA direction.

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:45:46 PM)
G. Tan: Being admitted off of the waitlist does not affect a candidate's experience at Ross. Even though one may miss the opportunity to attend GBR/admitted student weekend, we do have a day called Ross Rendezvous in the summer (a one day version of GBR). Mtrek may still be an option, but it's hard to say because the trips are first-come first served.

Seabron (Mar 18, 2010 12:45:53 PM)
Hi Jon. For candidates that may be in the Ann Arbor area, would an additional visit be frowned upon?

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:46:50 PM)
Linda - yes, in this case, I would always put quality first. Please don't provide a dissertation. Our eyes are tired from rounds 1 and 2!

tony (Mar 18, 2010 12:46:58 PM)
Thanks, Kelly. What if I know that my essays were not good enough? Considering that it's being submitted already, what would you suggest? An update/revision on an essay is probably not a good idea.

Linda Abraham (Mar 18, 2010 12:48:31 PM)
I'll never forget the time I spoke to an adcom member and he told me about receiving a 10-page, single-spaced email from a wait-listed candidate. He didn't have the time to read it much less digest it and respond to it. Keep your correspondence to the point. These people are busy!

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:48:32 PM)
Hi GPT - we appreciate any significant updates based on your assessment of your application.

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:48:35 PM)
Seabron - this is another quality/quantity question, regardless of where you're from. An additional visit just to visit isn't really going to benefit you in terms of how you're evaluated. That said, an additional visit may provide insights that can help your update in some way.

GauravMisra@London (Mar 18, 2010 12:48:44 PM)
Jon, it would be great to know how you relax your eyes after all the reading involved, but that's a conversation for another time :) .

Linda Abraham (Mar 18, 2010 12:48:50 PM)
Close them!

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:49:21 PM)
Wow. Haven't had that kind of joy, but now I've jinxed myself.

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:49:38 PM)
Tony - there's no need to resubmit essays.

Seabron (Mar 18, 2010 12:51:07 PM)
Hi Eun Ja. Thank you so much for all of your insight. Is the only acceptable work update a promotion or would a special project or initiative be viewed as acceptable? Thanks.

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:14:31 PM)
Seabron:  Sure, you can send us an update on a special project or initiative.

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:51:32 PM)
Ross2012 - while MathMBA.com is a quality product, it's not a true substitute for demonstrated performance through the GMAT. MathMBA.com results aren't as likely to move the needle relative to a GMAT that's submitted post-April 15.

Ruskyn (Mar 18, 2010 12:51:37 PM)
Kelly: I have a question regarding the class diversity. What if two applicants apply from the same undergrad college? Is the college background also a scenario for waitlisting an applicant?

ReggieG (Mar 18, 2010 12:52:09 PM)
Jon: Is it common to waitlist applicants without an interview? How does that weigh on chances of admission?

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:53:04 PM)
ReggieG - I wouldn't say that it's common, and it certainly does happen enough that I wouldn't be concerned about it impacting your chances of admission. Remember, if you've been denied admission, you're done for the year. If you're waitlisted, you still have an opportunity for admission. Look at the half full glass!

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:53:06 PM)
Ruskyn - No, academics/transcripts are just one component that we evaluate during the application process.

Gaurav Verma@Atlanta (Mar 18, 2010 12:53:07 PM)
Eun, would Admissions like to hear from any previous professors about the class contribution potential of a candidate if the prospective student had taken some courses, for example, from a local university?

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:53:41 PM)
Gaurav: We do not suggest recommendation letters, whether they are from professors or supervisors.

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:53:42 PM)
Ross2012 - Yes, a new project at work could be considered significant.

Linda Abraham (Mar 18, 2010 12:53:43 PM)
Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Jon, Kelly and Eun Ja!

We look forward to seeing you at future chats.

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details.

Ross2012 (Mar 18, 2010 12:53:53 PM)
Thank you Jon!

G. Tan (Mar 18, 2010 12:53:54 PM)
Thanks again Jon, Eun Ja, and Kelly. I'm sure I'm speaking for the group when I say we appreciate the frank responses and feedback!

Vineet (Mar 18, 2010 12:54:00 PM)
Kelly/Jon/EunJanYu—thanks for your time. Go Blue!

Livestrong (Mar 18, 2010 12:54:01 PM)
Thanks for your time!

TaiSua (Mar 18, 2010 12:54:03 PM)
Thank you very much for your time, Linda, Jon, Eun Ja and Kelly.

Decided (Mar 18, 2010 12:54:10 PM)
Jon, Eun Ja and Kelly -Thank you so much for taking the time out to answer the questions!

Anjani Kiran (Mar 18, 2010 12:54:13 PM)
Thanks to Ross admissions officers. You've been most helpful through this process.

Ruskyn (Mar 18, 2010 12:54:21 PM)
Thanks a lot Jon, Kelly and Eun Ja!

Gaurav Verma@Atlanta (Mar 18, 2010 12:54:34 PM)
Jon, Eun Ja and Kelly. Thanks so much for your time and answer our questions. Have a great day ahead!

Seabron (Mar 18, 2010 12:54:36 PM)
Thank you Eun Ja/Kelly/Jon I appreciate your candor. This was very helpful!

nizzle (Mar 18, 2010 12:54:43 PM)
Thank you to all the officers and especially Linda for putting this together!

JonFullerROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:54:45 PM)
Thanks for the questions, and thank you to Linda and the rest of the Accepted.com team for hosting!

tony (Mar 18, 2010 12:54:47 PM)
Thanks a lot, Kelly. I'll keep that in mind and keep my updates brief and significant.

Linda Abraham (Mar 18, 2010 12:54:53 PM)
You're most welcome! Good luck with your applications.

ABSolar (Mar 18, 2010 12:55:11 PM)
Thanks all.

Seabron (Mar 18, 2010 12:55:13 PM)
Thank you Eun Ja/Kelly/Jon I appreciate your candor. This was very helpful!

Takashi (Mar 18, 2010 12:55:47 PM)
Thank you very much for today!

Manish Gera (Mar 18, 2010 12:56:17 PM)
Jon, Eun Ja, Kelly and Linda - Really appreciate your help! That was extremely helpful and a great morale booster. Thanks.

KellyKongRogersROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:56:18 PM)
Thank you, everyone! I hope this was helpful!

EunJaYuROSS (Mar 18, 2010 12:56:40 PM)
Yes, thanks everyone!

LilyC (Mar 18, 2010 12:56:45 PM)
Thank you Adcom team and thanks Linda for hosting this Q&A!

all_the_best (Mar 18, 2010 12:57:09 PM)
Thanks everyone! Hope to see you at Ross :)

Gaurav Verma@Atlanta (Mar 18, 2010 12:57:11 PM)
Thanks a bunch, Linda. This is a great service from Accepted.com.

Linda Abraham (Mar 18, 2010 12:57:23 PM)
Best wishes again. You're most welcome.

If you would like to automatically receive notices about these MBA admissions chats and other MBA admissions events, please subscribe to our MBA event list. Please check the website for additional details.

MBA Q&A Index || Upcoming Q&A/Events || Michigan Ross B-School Zone

Sign-up for an Accepted.com free MBA admissions email course:

Title Topic
Best MBA Programs- Select the Right One for You Evaluate your own profile and find the best business schools for you in this 10-day email course.
Navigating the MBA Maze Steer your way through critical decision points in the MBA admissions process with this 9-day email course.
5 Fatal Flaws Eliminate the 5 most common flaws in your MBA application essays after subscribing to this 5-day email course.

McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Security Tested Daily
The Highest Rating

Natalie was very professional from the beginning to the end. Her advice was invaluable and was essential in positioning myself for both my essay writing and interview process. Knowing that I have someone who is as experienced as [she is] to give me advice made a significant difference, which eventually led to my successful admission at Chicago Booth."