2012 Accepted.com MBA Waitlist Q&A with Linda Abraham

Guiding clients worldwide through the admissions maze to acceptances at 450+ top schools since 1994

2012 Accepted.com MBA Waitlist Q&A with Linda Abraham

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending an e-mail to webinar@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Audio for Q&A (Click to listen now, or right click and choose “Save As” to download and listen later.)

Linda Abraham: Hello. My name is Linda Abraham, and I am the president and founder of Accepted.com and the moderator of today’s Q&A. First, I want to welcome all applicants to the webinar today and give you a brief overview of what we’ll be discussing.

I’ll begin with the ABC’s of MBA Waitlists, and then review the goals in your waitlist communications and updates. Next, I’ll give some general tips and resources, which I’ll be posting in the chat window, and then I’ll be glad to take your specific questions.

I assume most of you are waitlisted, but I am going to launch a poll to get a little more details about where you’re at in the application process.

Choices:

1. I've already applied, but did not hear back yet.
  2. I'm planning to apply this application cycle (R2 or R3)
  3. I’m waitlisted at my top choice school, accepted at others.
  4. I’m rejected at my top choice schools, waitlisted at others.
  5. Other
Here are the results. 33% have already applied but did not hear back yet. 0% of you are planning to apply this application cycle, which actually is good because that is not what this is about. 22% are waitlisted at your top choice school. 11% are rejected at your top choice school and are waitlisted at others. And 33% are not in any of the above categories.

Thanks again to everyone for joining, and let’s start with the presentation part of this. I’ll come back to the resources part later.

Let’s start with the ABC’s of MBA waitlists, which is what we are going to be focusing on here. These are your goals when you have any contact and communication with your waitlisting school(s), be it you personally interacting with an admissions officer, whether it be a letter of support from somebody else, any waitlist correspondence that you have, or even an interview that you might still have. These ABCs are what you are going to aim for. So what are they?
A You want to address and ameliorate weaknesses (without magnifying them).

B You want to boost your strengths by revealing recent promotions, projects, awards, and achievements – anything that says that you are a better candidate today than you were when you applied or that you are a better candidate than even your application reflects.

C You want to confirm fit by revealing how recent visits to the schools, recent interaction with students and alumni, and recent events have confirmed for you that this Waitlisting School is the place for you to be. You want to demonstrate that you fit in with the school in terms of your goals, in terms of your values, in terms of your learning style, and in terms of your extracurricular activities.
These ABC’s should be your strategic goals while you are on the waitlist.

Obviously most schools are open to at least some correspondence from waitlisted applicants. Realize that everybody you are interacting with is very busy. You want to keep any correspondence preferably to one page, maximum two pages. Be succinct. Do not be verbose. Nobody wants to read “The Great American Novel”; nobody wants to read “The Great–any culture–Novel.” So keep it succinct.

For tips on content, please see Yikes My Essay is Too Long. Letters should be 1-2 pages. For tips on the letters’ content, please see Admissions Tip Waitlist Letters.

Tip #3: If you can get feedback, if you have a waitlist manager that will provide you with feedback, of course go and get it. No question. Most schools do not provide it. If you are one of the lucky people where the school does provide it, go and get it. If there is something to do, you want to know about it. And by contacting the waitlist manager and respectfully and considerately asking for his/her input, you are positioning yourself in some respects for a reapplication, if that is necessary. So again, be considerate of people’ time but do seek out that feedback if you can get it.

Letters of support are another avenue for you to demonstrate that all important fit with the school. I attempt to believe that they are probably the least effective of the different steps I’m suggesting you take, because the schools can just get deluged with them and then they just lose value. But if you know current students or recent alumni and these people know you well and they can write a substantive letter of support, meaning one that does not repeat everything that was said previously about you and one that can address the question of fit based on their intimate knowledge of the program and their experience with you, preferably in a professional situation, as a colleague or even sometimes as a personal friend, it can be a plus, as long as you don’t drown them in these letters of support. I think a meaningful, substantive letter or two like this may be helpful. Always remember that quality trumps quantity. Do not waste their time and annoy them by sending in meaningless, wordy drivel or longwinded repetitions of your essay. What you are sending them has to add value; it has to add to the information they have already about you. If you are just repeating stuff that they already have, don’t do it.

And now for your questions.

A asks “I have been put on a waitlist without interview by ESADE. I am from India and I have a career in motor racing. My question is – should I send an update email to the adcom stating a recent achievement? I have been awarded a Young Entrepreneurial Award by the State Automobile Association.”

This is a very interesting question. First of all, does ESADE encourage or discourage follow up from the applicants on the waitlist? Let’s assume that they have not specifically discouraged waitlist contact. In most schools, if they don’t want it, they are very explicit about it. Then I would say yes, you should. But you shouldn’t just tell them that you won the Young Entrepreneurial Award by the State Automobile Association; you need to give them a little bit of context for that award. How many people were nominated to win that award? What did you do to get that award? Why did you get that award? I would not write a lengthy email, but something providing a little information about the award would be very helpful. Again, not too long but something that will let them see that this really is a significant honor. If you could include something about how this entrepreneurship award fits in with ESADE’s culture, ESADE’s program, and your goal, that would strengthen the letter and make it more effective.

A asks, “What would you suggest as a strategy for Cornell’s new waitlist process for an applicant waitlisted without an interview?”

If I recall, Cornell is not giving any feedback. They do allow for updates. And the question I would have for you is – do you have something to tell them? Do you have something new? Do you have an element of progress, promotion, importance that you can share with Cornell? A said that he does. So then you definitely want to do that. A says that he has updated twice. In that case, I would wait a couple of weeks. I would try to avoid updating more than once a month because there is a difference between being proactive and being a pest, and sometimes it’s in the eye of the beholder and you have to put yourself in their shoes. So if there is something significant to report, wait till March, and then do it.

And when you are updating them about a promotion or achievement or something, provide a little bit of information so that they can gauge the significance of it. How many people out of how many people got the promotion or the award or whatever that you just got? What was the contribution you made that allowed you to get this award or this promotion or whatever it may be? If you wanted you could also include the idea that you are more than happy to do an interview over Skype. And if they take you up on that, great. If you happen to be in the New York area and could get to Ithaca, then you might want to say – “I’m more than happy to meet you on this and this date when I could be in Ithaca”, or “I could go to Ithaca whenever you want to meet with me.” Again, I would not send another update in February; I would wait till March in terms of that question.

Let’s go on to the next question. A asks, “I have been waitlisted at Fuqua without an interview and waitlisted at Johnson after an interview. Would it be a good idea to visit these schools? And how should I utilize my trip the most, to turn the final decision in my favor?”

If you haven’t visited the schools, and you have the opportunity and ability to visit them, I would suggest you definitely visit them. I would take advantage of every possible interaction that you can at the school. I would take a tour, I would sit in on a class; take advantage of whatever they offer to visiting prospective students. At the same time, I would tell Cornell that I’m going be in Ithaca – I’m going to be doing z, y, and z while I’m in Ithaca, would you like to interview me while I’m there? They can say ‘no’; they may say ‘yes’. Hopefully if you interview well, that can enhance your chances. Certainly a visit will also show them that you are very serious about their program.

And the other thing I want to suggest to all of you is that when you are visiting a program, realize that every interaction you have on campus that day could be reported back to the admissions committee. And the admissions committees are smart enough to know that if you are rude to a clerk or rude to a janitor, you could be rude to anybody who is not in a position of power. And they don’t want to admit jerks. So be polite and be courteous to everyone. This is just a good policy in life, but certainly if you are trying to get somewhere, it is something to keep in mind.

K writes, “I believe my below average GMAT may be the reason I am on the waitlist for two schools. Should I retake the GMAT soon? I am just wary of spending the time and money on the GMAT again, especially this late in the game.”

I sympathize a lot. Yes is the short answer. If you believe that your GMAT is the weakness, then you probably should retake it if you really want to go to these schools. At the same time, it is a lot of work and it is tiresome and expensive and all that, and you can’t be guaranteed that if you raise your score on the GMAT it’s going to make the difference or that you can do it fast enough to get off the waitlist. But if that is what you have identified as your weakness and you can somehow stomach preparing for and taking the test again, and you believe you can raise it because you were consistently scoring on practice tests higher than your final score, or you were sick on the day of the exam, or whatever the circumstance was which makes you believe that you could do better, then I’m sorry but I think you should retake it.

R asks a similar question about the GMAT. R has a 700 GMAT. At some schools a 700 is a fantastic score. At some schools, especially for an Indian applicant, it’s a poor score. So when you give me the score and you don’t mention the school, I’m not getting full information here. But you can identify whether it is a good score or not for your school. Also the GMAT is evaluated in the context of your whole application. If your GPA was low, or if your GPA is from a relatively unknown school either in the United States or out, then the GMAT is going to take on more importance. If your GPA was high, in other words, as demonstration that you can work and excel in a demanding academic environment, and you have really strong qualifications in other respects and are a very appealing and attractive candidate in other respects, then your 700 GMAT probably won’t matter as much. I’m not sure that the GMAT is super low for Emory. I don’t think that would in and of itself be a major reason, and I probably would not recommend that you retake it. Unless it was very lopsided and one of your scores was, let’s say, 60th percentile or something like that. Or if you had a poor GPA and a lopsided score; so if there were other red flags.

Even for Indians, it is either a poor score or a good score in relationship to the school you are applying to, unless you are talking about the overall scaling of the scores.

R writes, “I have not seen any Indian applicant with less than a 700 GMAT score getting an interview. I was wondering if the GMAT is the factor.”

Unless you know every single Indian applicant applying to Emory, and that is probably unlikely, I don’t think you can really get it down to that factor. If you think your GMAT is the culprit, and you believe you can raise it with a reasonable amount of effort, you certainly can’t hurt yourself by raising your GMAT, but I’m not sure that is going to make a big difference.

A asks about getting off Kellogg’s waitlist. My comments would be very similar. You need to emphasize recent achievements to show you are a growing, dynamic, achieving and contributing individual with leadership qualities. If you see any weaknesses in your profile that might be an issue, be it a lack of leadership, a lack of community service, a low GMAT(though I don’t think that is going to be a big factor at Kellogg), perhaps concern about verbal skills, then I would attempt to address them. You can join Toastmasters and then in an update say that you’ve joined Toastmasters if you feel that your verbal skills are an issue. And if you feel that you have not been involved in your community and you lack leadership experience, then you can take some kind of community service initiative that will show you contributing and taking initiative and also demonstrating leadership. These are all qualities that business schools like to see.

I’d like to make another point. Some of you are probably thinking that if you start now it’s going to be so little so late. Well, so little so late is better than nothing. And the other thing, especially for those of you have indicated that you are basically only waitlisted and you have not been accepted anywhere, there is a possibility and it’s probably one that you don’t want to think about, that you are not going to get off the waitlist and that you are going to have to reapply. So you really need to be pursuing parallel tracks. One is working the waitlist in the hope and the expectation that you are going to get accepted. And in parallel, you need to be preparing for a reapplication effort. That would be another argument in favor of taking the GMAT, especially if that is what you think is keeping you out and you believe you can raise it. In the event that you are rejected, you will be better positioned to reapply next fall.

A asks, “Does an email suffice or is a hardcopy document with all the details preferred?”

I think at this point most schools prefer emailed documents because otherwise they just have to scan in the paper documents. Again, I want to mention that they do not want to read tons and tons of copies of written material. Keep it concise, memo style. My sense, and I don’t claim enormous knowledge here, is that in some countries, in particular India, there is not the same emphasis on concision as there is in the American business world. So for those of you, you need to keep things concise, focused, and specific; not general, not verbose.

A wrote, “I sent my first update as a PowerPoint with three slides with content. It was a bit colorful.”

That’s okay. I don’t have any strong feelings on that either way as long as it was substantive, as long as you provided some really good content. I want to emphasize that claiming qualities like leadership, like being hard working, like being industrious, claiming initiative, organizational skills, that is all well and good. That and a dime used to get you a cup of coffee. It won’t even do that now. But what will make an impression on the admissions committee, because they have tons of these emails, is not saying that you have leadership skills, but saying – “I led a group of X, and we did Y, and this was faster than anybody had done it before, and we did it under budget…” Those kinds of specifics scream leadership and are far more effective than vague claims to leadership or other qualities.

M poses another question. “Schools say not to send any more materials or to be in touch. Should I be in touch anyway?”

That is a very good question. The short answer is ‘no’. You should not be in touch anyway, because this is their show and their game and they set the rules. And you might just tick them off if you don’t follow the rules. So I would not send updates. However, you cannot prevent a friend from sending in a letter of support. Again, I would not send them a deluge of letters of support. I would send one or two. I would make sure the friend really does know you well and knows the school well so they can comment very specifically on why you would be a great match for the program. And remember, it’s not just the admissions committee’s program; it’s the students and the alums program as well, so go for that too.

Here is another very common question. “I have been rejected from all the schools I applied to except one where I am waitlisted. I would love to go to my waitlisted school. How should I proceed?”

The best way to proceed is to send in an update, when you have something to say. And turn to people who know you well and know the school well and ask them to perhaps send in a letter of support. You should address any weaknesses that there may be in your profile. And if you are sure you would attend the school, let them know that you will attend the school if you are accepted. The problem with that statement is that people aren’t always honest. A lot of people will make that statement and won’t attend the school, so the schools don’t put a lot of stock in that. But I would not say, “I got rejected everywhere else, and I’m desperate to go to your school.” I would not say something like that. That is not going to enhance your chances. But do say that this is your #1 choice of where you want to go because it supports your goals, and give some substantive reasons.

I emphasized before that when you want to address weaknesses, you want to address them without magnifying them. So if you did poorly, let’s say, on the verbal area of your GMAT, or your scores in verbal weren’t that good, or perhaps English is a second language and your TOEFL score wasn’t as good as you wanted it to be, you can say, “To prepare for business school, I am joining Toastmasters to improve my verbal skills.” You can say, “I am taking a class in Communications for Business to prepare for business school and improve in that area.” Those kinds of comments do not draw attention to your low verbal GMAT score, but do say that you are improving in that area to prepare for business school. And the same logic would hold if your quant score wasn’t what you wanted it to be. Then you could say that you are taking Business Math, or Math for the Business World, or Calculus 1, or Statistics for Business, or something like that, and it would have the same impact.

R asks, “Could you give an example for how to make it clear that this is my first choice and that I will attend if accepted?”

You can state it, but to make that case (and you really need to do both –state it and make the case) you simply point and say something like, “This is my #1 school because I wanted to go into management consulting and your consulting projects and your strategy track and your Professor So and So, all will help me prepare to go into consulting. And I know that McKinsey, Boos, and Bain recruit actively at your school and you place a lot of graduates with these recruiters. And you have the Consulting Club which is extraordinarily active, and they have a particular event that I would love to get involved in.” So suddenly, you are not just saying this is your number one school, finished. You are saying what is behind it. You are making it very believable by pointing to specific elements in you and the program that fit together like hand in glove.

Here’s another question. A asks, “I took the TOEFL but did not send my score to Cornell. It is not mandatory for international applicants. Can I send this as an update too? Is it worth it?”

It might be worth it if you suspect they are not confident in your English skills, and your TOEFL score was good. If your TOEFL score was not so good, don’t send it in. And if there is no concern about your verbal skills because your verbal score on the GMAT was strong, your writing is strong, any grades you have in a course requiring writing are strong, and all the signs are up, then I wouldn’t send it in. Just confirming that you’re English is okay when they already see that and they don’t have any doubts about it, especially if you interviewed and you interviewed well, I don’t really see the point of it.

Here is a really good question. “What if I’ve been admitted to another school and its admissions deadline is quickly approaching, and I’m struggling with being patient while waitlisted at my top choice school, and having to plan for the school where I am already admitted?”

I understand the question. This is the situation. Let’s say John Doe is accepted at School A, and a significant deposit is required at School A on March 15th. He is also waitlisted at School B. School B is his first choice. He is not going to hear back from School B till April 1st at the earliest. So he is waiting. He could hear earlier, but he could also hear later. And he really wants to go to School B, but that money is due for School A on March 15th, and it’s a significant amount of money, an amount of money he’d prefer not to lose if he doesn’t have to.

My advice in that case is to go to School B. I would put this into a very succinct email, or if you have a waitlist manager, I would ask for a brief call with the waitlist manger. Again, keep it short. Say, “I have a problem and I’m wondering if you can help me. I am accepted at School A. They are asking for a significant deposit by March 15th.” And I wouldn’t do this until about March 4th or 5th so that you are giving them time to respond. But clearly there is a deadline approaching and you are going to have to do something; you are going to have to write out a check or let go of your spot on the waitlist, or write out the check and stay on the waitlist, and risk losing that large sum of money. So call up, explain the situation. Say, “I really want to go to the school and I don’t want to give up my spot on the waitlist. But if you could evaluate my application and you think you can admit me before the March 15th date, I would be really appreciative.”

There are many schools, and I think Cornell is among them, that would take very positively to an upfront, respectful call like that. Again, be respectful, be courteous, and be considerate. A certain amount of humility in your approach will go a long way. You don’t have to be fawning, but consideration, respect; all those things really do help.

A asks, “I have been admitted at Kenan-Flagler, and waitlisted at Kellogg. Kellogg is my first choice school. Does it make sense to mention the admit at KFBS in the update email to Kellogg, considering the difference in rankings of the schools?”

I do not really think so. I would not recommend that. I don’t think it will influence Kellogg either way, and sometimes, though I don’t think it would in this case, it can cause a school to pull back because they’ll always be afraid that if they extend an offer to you, you might have changed your mind and got really excited about the accepting school in the meantime and then you’ll reject their offer. So I would suggest keeping that information to yourself.

Here’s an interesting question. “When speaking to a school representative directly, in person or on the phone, how do you suggest we show continued interest, aside from asking questions about the waitlist?”

If you are at a school event – a fair or reception or something like that—then you can certainly continue asking questions related to a program, the extracurricular events and things of interest to you. However, if you call them about your waitlist status, either for the situation I just mentioned where you are accepted at one school and waitlisted at theirs, or because you are getting some kind of feedback or you have a question, etc., then I don’t think that is the time to try to make a pitch or to ask a bunch of questions. They are very busy people, and I think you’d be wise to ask your question, get the information you are seeking, and thank them very much for their time and get off the phone. If you have a meeting with them, and it’s not at a school event or reception, I would just keep it short and be very aware that they are busy. If you wear out your welcome, you are going to be hurting yourself.

Some people have asked about waitlist stats. There seems to be a virtual obsession with the waitlist stats: How many got off the waitlist last year? What’s the percentage? What’s the numbers? Folks, it’s almost worthless. At the end of the day, you will be either 100% in or 100% out. And last year’s waitlist behavior is in no way predictive of this year’s waitlist behavior. It is simply worthless data in this case. It doesn’t have any bearing in this case. The most important factor in your chance of getting off the waitlist is entirely unrelated to any behavior that you take. It is dependent upon how many people accept offers of acceptance that were extended to them. If fewer people accept those offers of acceptance, the school will go more to the waitlist and your chances will increase, especially commensurate to your own efforts. If more people accept offers of acceptance and the school’s yield increases, then they will take fewer people from the waitlist. So that is also part of the reason that I strongly recommend that as disappointing and frustrating as it might be, while you pursue the waitlisting school and you do whatever you can to enhance your chances while on the waitlist, especially if you have not been accepted elsewhere, you should also prepare to reapply. That way you can reapply round 1, you can work on eliminating or ameliorating weaknesses, you can do all kinds of things.

I want to ask how many of you feel you know what your weakness is. About half of you. Here is another question. How many of you feel it is the GMAT? A third. How many of you feel it is the GPA? You had poor grades as a grad or undergrad student? And how many of you feel that it’s lack of leadership experience skills? How many of you feel that you simply applied to wrong the schools, and the school that is waitlisting you is a stretch school and you really aren’t quite competitive, and you are actually pleased to have gotten this far and be on the waitlist?! Nobody! How many of you feel that you have demonstrated fit well with the school in question? 66%. That is kind of interesting. How many of you haven’t a clue why you got waitlisted? Okay, 16% don’t know.

For those of you who don’t know, if you end up not getting accepted, then I would strongly recommend that you get your application evaluated because you need to have some clue before you reapply in order to improve next time around. If you apply to the same schools with basically the same application, you have no reason to expect a different result, so you need to know what to change. For those of you who think you know the reason for your waitlist status, you either need to change what you felt was weak or you have to change the schools you are applying to, if you are not accepted off the waitlist. However, if you are waitlisted and you reapply and you do address what was weak, your chances of acceptance are going up. If you were waitlisted and ultimately rejected and the school provides feedback, by all means obtain the feedback. It can be helpful. Sometimes it’s a little bit off the wall, so like with everything, you have to evaluate it. But don’t hesitate to get that feedback. To the contrary, when it is offered, grab it.

A commented here, that admission seems to be getting more stat intensive. I actually don’t think so; I think applicants are more stat obsessed! I will bet that many of you, who are attributing your waitlist status to GMAT or GPA, should also be attributing your waitlist status to fuzzy goals, lack of leadership experience, or failure to demonstrate real fit with the program in question. That is my personal observation. Obviously, to each of you as an individual, it may not apply, but as a group, that is a very common scenario.

A asks, “What if the reason that you are rejected is that you belong to a very competitive pool like Indian IT male?”

That is an excellent question, especially considering that my sense is that this group is heavily Indian and heavily male. I think that every applicant has a challenge, and it is a greater challenge for somebody coming from an overcrowded group, to turn themselves into a group of one. So they are no longer an Indian IT male, they are no longer a Chinese female, and they are no longer a military vet. They are Ashutosh or John or Rahul or Mario or whoever it is, but they become a group of one. And that group of one has a personal background and has his/her own professional experiences. And it’s not just that they list experiences, but they provide some insight about those experiences. What did you learn from that experience? What did you take away from that experience? How did it change you? What motivated you to go in that direction? Those insights are yours and yours alone. So no matter how many software programs you’ve programmed, or tools you’ve developed, or processes you shrank and made more efficient; what you learned about people in business from those experiences should be uniquely your own. That is number one.

Number two, you are applying to business school, and if you are an Indian IT male or somebody coming from a highly technical background, your challenge is to focus on those elements of your background that are most relevant to business. Not the acronyms from engineering, but what you’ve learned about running a department or effective leadership. You should preferably demonstrate it from good leadership examples and from times you were able to implement those qualities or those lessons in a non-professional setting, which is frequently where people in their twenties are able to demonstrate leadership. It’s not that common that people in their mid to late twenties have lots of leadership opportunities on the job. So try to turn yourself into a group of one; one person, not one type.

I don’t have a lot of school specific waitlist tips. Most schools fall into one of three categories. They either are open to updates. Or they want no updates at all, which is a small group of schools at this time. Or they want some limited updates. For instance, Michigan Ross accepts one 250-word update. Harvard, for the first time in a long time, is accepting updates. But every interaction with the school that you have is revealing of who you are, your character and your judgment. If you paper these people to death, you are showing a complete lack of judgment, and it will hurt you in the application process. If you send in an occasional, substantive update that is succinct and to the point, you are showing judgment, you are demonstrating interest, and presumably the content of the update is also giving them more reasons to admit you. Being that the biggest factor in terms of waitlist admissions is something you have no control over and no influence upon, and that is who accepts their offers of acceptance, you can do everything right on the waitlist and it will position you for a more successful reapplication effort, but it won’t guarantee acceptance.

However, you can certainly shoot yourself in the foot by sending in a lot of nonsense. So don’t do that. And about Harvard specifically, they are allowing updates for the first time this year. I am absolutely positive that the quality and quantity of those updates, the sheer judgment exercise in what you send in is going to be a factor in their assessing your behavior on the waitlist.

There is one other point I wanted to make. This is about visiting schools. I think it is a good idea to visit schools if you can. If it is reasonable and you can make it to the school, I think it is great; it allows you to offer to interview, it will provide you with material for an update when you can address fit again, and it certainly is a very real and concrete demonstration of interest toward the school. And finally, if you do have to reapply, you will be that better positioned to reapply.

R asks, “Can we ask for feedback from our interviewer directly?”

I wouldn’t. They don’t usually give it and some schools really don’t like it, so I just wouldn’t do that.

N asks if ISB accepts re-updates.

In general, my rule of thumb is if they haven’t specifically told you not to update and you have something like a promotion to tell them about, I would tell them about it. Just be prudent with it. Be normal and be considerate, as I’ve said a thousand times already.

J asks, “I got waitlisted at Duke and they welcome updates. From reading their online materials, it sounds like they expect all waitlisted candidates to provide some feedback, and without updates it is unlikely the waitlisted candidate will get off the waitlist. Do you believe that is true?”

No. On the one hand, being on the waitlist does mean you are a strong candidate, but you are not in and you still are in a very competitive process. And in all likelihood, only a fraction of the people on the waitlist will be accepted from the waitlist, unless the school made some enormous errors in judgment. So then the question becomes who the school will pick. Most of the people on the waitlist are strong candidates, if not all, otherwise they wouldn’t be on the waitlist. They will pick the people who demonstrated the most interest and the most fit with the school and the program. So I definitely would say not to send in something just to send in something; send in something of substance that highlights recent achievements, if necessary addresses weaknesses, and finally demonstrates how recent events have confirmed your interest in the school. That is the heart of the ABCs of an MBA waitlist which we’ve addressed earlier in the Q&A.

Thank you again all for participating in the waitlist Q&A. Please keep in mind that Accepted.com has several resources to help your waitlist effort and a special offer exclusively for you who joined us during this chat today:

Through Sunday, February 19, 2012, you can save $50.00 on your first waitlist services order. Check out http://www.accepted.com/mba/waitlistletters.aspx to learn about our individualized waitlist help, how we can evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, suggest how you specifically can apply the A, B, C’s of waitlist strategy, and review and edit your waitlist letter. Use this exclusive coupon, WL2012, before Sunday to save.

Alternatively, if you want the ‘do it yourself’ route, you can save 20% on our best-selling e-book, The Nine Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make on an MBA Waitlist through February 29, 2012 with coupon code WL20.

We look forward to seeing you at future Q&A and Events. Coming up next: Visit our event schedule page for our full list of upcoming events and details, or to register. You can also subscribe to our events list by clicking reminders on our event schedule page.

Once more, thank you all for joining us today. It’s been an excellent session and best of luck to all with your applications and waitlist strategy!

MBA Q&A Index || Upcoming Q&A/Events || Accepted.com B-School Zones

Continue exploring our free resources with our MBA Admissions 101 pages