2002 NYU Stern MBA Admissions Chat with Julia Min

2002 NYU Stern MBA Admissions Chat with Julia Min

Please feel free to let us know if you would like to be informed of future chats by sending e-mail to chat@accepted.com. We would also be interested in knowing if you would prefer a different format or different topics.

Chat Transcript:

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:03:35 PM)
Ok. Let's start.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:03:47 PM)
First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's Stern Admissions Chat.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:03:55 PM)
I also want to welcome Julia Min, Director of Admissions, Gary Fraser, Assistant Dean of the Office of Career Development, and Theresa Kerr and Neil Snoep, students at Stern. And last but not least, I want to welcome Cindy Tokumitsu and Paul Bodine, two of Accepted.com's editors.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:04:08 PM)
Neil and Theresa provided the following bios so that you will have some idea of their interests, background, and goals.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:04:16 PM)
Neil Snoep, 27, is a current full time 2nd Year MBA student at NYU's Stern School of Business where he is majoring in Finance and Management. Neil spent his summer internship with the sales & trading group at Lehman Brothers where he will be employed following the completion of his MBA. Prior to enrolling at Stern, Neil spent 4 years working in the Healthcare M&A group at Banc of America Securities. Neil has a B.A. in Multinational Business Operations and a B.S. in Finance - both from the Florida State University.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:04:24 PM)
First-year MBA Theresa Kerr attended the University of Virginia and graduated with a B.A. and M.A. in sociology. After graduating from UVA, she worked for Reader's Digest as a research analyst for two years, then moved on to Inc Magazine to become a market research manager. At Stern, Theresa is pursuing a Marketing major, with a concentration in Entertainment, Media and Technology. She is a VP in both the Media and Entertainment Association and Association of Hispanic & Black Business Students, as well as an active member of the Graduate Marketing Association and Stern Women in Business. Upon graduation from Stern, she intends to work in business development or strategic marketing at a major media company.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:04:32 PM)
Thanks to everyone for joining.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:04:40 PM)
Thank you for having us again.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:04:43 PM)
This evening's chat is going to be a moderated chat. In a moderated chat, all your questions go to the moderator (me). I will choose the questions/comments that have the broadest application and those questions will appear in the main window for Julia, Gary, Theresa, and Neil to reply to. You will only see your question in the main window if it is chosen.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:04:52 PM)
Please post your questions, and I will choose as many as possible from the ones you post and our guests will respond. You can also post follow up questions.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:05:01 PM)
Final request: We would like to avoid the brief summary of qualifications (or even the long laundry list) followed by the question, "Can I qualify?" Or "What are my chances?" This isn't the forum for that kind of analysis.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:05:12 PM)
Other than that limitation, this is your chance to ask questions about Stern's program and admissions policies. Please post your questions.

Fred (Dec 3, 2002 9:05:21 PM)
I'd like to know more about the interview. Is it blind? Who does the interviewing? etc.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:05:38 PM)
Fred, at Stern, we interview by invitation of the committee. It is not blind, as we are prepared before the interview.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:05:54 PM)
When you look at a file, what do you look at first? Last? How do you review a file?

Eric (Dec 3, 2002 9:05:59 PM)
Theresa, I'm very interested in the entertainment program, can you talk about it a little?

ThanhHa (Dec 3, 2002 9:06:02 PM)
Does Stern create separate pools for US and int'l applicants?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:06:31 PM)
Linda, we look at the application in its entirety - there is no first or last item that we choose.

bipple (Dec 3, 2002 9:06:38 PM)
I know Stern is very well known for finance, but what plans does Stern have to strengthen other departments? In particular the Information Systems department.

Edmund (Dec 3, 2002 9:06:56 PM)
? Do you see or foresee a significant increase in the no. of applicants this year? what about the quality of them compared to those of the years before?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:07:12 PM)
bipple, all of Stern's departments are excellent. An information systems class is required in the core curriculum.

jt (Dec 3, 2002 9:07:15 PM)
Does NYU use rolling admissions? i.e., does it make a difference to apply early and to apply late?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:07:32 PM)
Edmund, yesterday was our first deadline, so it is difficult to assess the quality of the applicants right now. We anticipate that we will see around the same no. of apps as last year.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:07:38 PM)
jt, do you mean does it make a difference within rounds, or between earlier and later rounds?

Erick Hsu (Dec 3, 2002 9:07:57 PM)
Julia, I have three questions. (1) How did Stern graduates and current students do in the full-time and internship job market last year? (2) What are Stern career staff and/or faculty doing to help students in this job market? (3) Finally, how is Stern's curriculum responding to the corporate scandals and bankruptcies of the last year? Thank you for your time.

jt (Dec 3, 2002 9:08:20 PM)
Linda: between earlier and later rounds.

vish (Dec 3, 2002 9:08:28 PM)
Neil - what type of career services does Stern provide to potential career changers into finance?

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:08:29 PM)
Eric, the entertainment program at Stern offers you varied exposure to the different media. It's a great program that also provides you with great exposure to the business aspect of media.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:08:33 PM)
jt, at Stern, we do have rolling admission and not rounds. We always advise applicants to submit as early as possible.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:08:41 PM)
Hi, Erick. Let me take a crack at these. Stern grads did about as well as the other top b-schools. Almost 90% of grads received offers at our last count and over 90% for internships. We used faculty staff and administration to help students identify new opportunities. At the end of the day the market is tough but we see many students getting into career fields they want.

Edmund (Dec 3, 2002 9:08:51 PM)
? I am a prospect applicant who is looking not only for finance, what else would you say is strong at Stern?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:08:57 PM)
Vish - many people who come to Stern have had no prior experience in the financial industry. Our office of Career Development is really good at helping career changers. In addition, our location and excellent reputation mean that recruiters from all the top firms come onto campus to recruit.

Fred (Dec 3, 2002 9:09:15 PM)
When will R1 invitations to interview be sent?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:09:28 PM)
Edmund, we offer many other options other than finance at Stern. There are many majors, co-majors in int'l biz and entrepreneurship, in addition to initiatives such as law and biz and entertainment and media. We allow our students to cater the curriculum to their needs.

ThanhHa (Dec 3, 2002 9:10:08 PM)
Neil and Theresa, how do u assess the corporate exposure in Stern?

FL1 (Dec 3, 2002 9:10:25 PM)
Can anybody share some thoughts on the "Describe yourself" essay in this year's application? Do you suggest sending in supplemental information?

vish (Dec 3, 2002 9:10:31 PM)
Wow, that's an impressive number.

Edmund (Dec 3, 2002 9:11:02 PM)
?Why would Stern have a first deadline if it does rolling admissions?

Erick Hsu (Dec 3, 2002 9:11:28 PM)
Thank you, Gary.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:11:41 PM)
FL1, it's really up to you to come up with something creative. In my experience, the more creative the better. It's an excellent way to show the recruiters at Stern a side of you they may not otherwise see.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:11:44 PM)
Edmund, Dec 1st deadline is to be considered for merit based scholarships.

bipple (Dec 3, 2002 9:11:46 PM)
What types of jobs do most IS majors tend to get after graduation?

Steven (Dec 3, 2002 9:11:52 PM)
Neil, I've heard some first year students at NYU are in classes with some undergraduates. Is that true?

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:11:58 PM)
ThanhHa, it's great! This semester we've had several CEOs come in to talk to us re: their experience. Additionally, the fact that we are in NY makes it easier for companies to come on campus.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:12:08 PM)
bipple - many times jobs are in the corporate arena. MBAs are brought in to solve problems within companies and sometimes serve as consultants.

Fred (Dec 3, 2002 9:12:27 PM)
With the holiday, if supplementary materials are postmarked by 12/2, are they accepted for R1?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:12:30 PM)
Steven, I've never experienced that in my time here.

chatty (Dec 3, 2002 9:12:41 PM)
? How would you comment on the general management program at Stern?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:12:42 PM)
Fred, yes, we will accept any materials dated 12/2.

FL1 (Dec 3, 2002 9:12:53 PM)
Is there anybody here from the Langone Part Time program? I have some questions about that program.

Eric (Dec 3, 2002 9:13:00 PM)
Theresa, I understand the entertainment program is not a major, but rather a 'club'. Can you tell me how that works exactly? Do you have regular meetings?

jt (Dec 3, 2002 9:13:31 PM)
How can I enroll into the IMP? Do I have to meet certain academic / professional requirements?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:13:43 PM)
Chatty, I am co-majoring in management and I have found the program to be excellent so far.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:14:01 PM)
jt, you can apply to go on the IMP program. In most cases, you will be able to go to a school - some schools do have limited number of slots open.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:14:04 PM)
FL1, I am answering regarding the Langone Programs as I am Susan, a Part-time student who is here helping out with the chat.

PaulG (Dec 3, 2002 9:14:12 PM)
Was Stern hit hard from the 9/11 attacks (in terms of numbers or emotionally?)

bipple (Dec 3, 2002 9:14:26 PM)
Do many IS majors take consulting positions with some of the large consulting firms? In Management Consulting positions?

vish (Dec 3, 2002 9:14:53 PM)
Pardon my ignorance - but what is IMP ?

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:14:55 PM)
To clarify, Gary is here also, we are just sharing a computer.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:14:57 PM)
PaulG, Stern was affected like everyone during 9/11, but we also gave back in so many ways, like our students volunteering to collect items for the rescue crew or volunteering on the Stern Rebuilds program where we worked with the businesses affected. I can say that we definitely came together as a family to help each other.

jt (Dec 3, 2002 9:15:15 PM)
It's International Management Program.

Fred (Dec 3, 2002 9:15:34 PM)
Why does Stern ask for the "unofficial" GMAT score?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:15:41 PM)
PaulG - although 9/11 was a terrible tragedy, it was amazing to be a part of a community that got so involved with helping to rebuild NYC. Students mobilized the next day to help out.

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:15:45 PM)
Eric, Actually the entertainment program is not a club. Rather it is a program where you get a certificate. There are class requirements as well. It must be combined with a major such as marketing, finance, etc.

FL1 (Dec 3, 2002 9:15:52 PM)
Thanks, Susan. I'm currently living in Florida and will be applying for the Fall 03 term of the Part Time program. Will NYU accept me even if I don't live in NY? I work for Verizon, whose HQ is in NY and I've been assured by my manager that I could transfer.

vish (Dec 3, 2002 9:16:10 PM)
Theresa - can you tell us a little bit more about why you chose Stern?

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:16:28 PM)
Please post your questions.

ThanhHa (Dec 3, 2002 9:16:38 PM)
Does Stern curriculum incorporate much about emerging markets, e.g. in finance, entrepreneurship and marketing?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:17:15 PM)
Fred - the official scores sometimes take a while to reach us and we want to review your application as quickly as possible.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:17:32 PM)
ThanhHa, Stern does offer a course on emerging markets that allows you to actually visit there during one of the breaks. In addition, we have a student group, Emerging Markets Association, that runs a study tour every year. This year, they will go to South Africa, I believe.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:17:33 PM)
In distributing the applications among readers, do you distribute them randomly, by country, industry, function or other?

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:17:35 PM)
FL1, You should let the Admissions Committee know that your company is planning to transfer you, and you should provide some evidence of this in your application, such as a letter from the company and/or verification of this by your recommenders. You may also be asked to interview.

vish (Dec 3, 2002 9:17:48 PM)
Regarding the part-time program, is it a requirement to work in NYC? Does any student commute from California?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:17:50 PM)
We're going to South Africa this year.

Mike23 (Dec 3, 2002 9:17:52 PM)
How would work experience on Global Projects look to the admissions committee? For example - I currently travel to England/Scotland for about 2 weeks every other month or so and have gained great experience dealing with people from different cultures.

cindy tokumitsu (Dec 3, 2002 9:17:59 PM)
How does Stern view re-applicants? Do you look at the prior application? Are there certain things you want to see in a re-applicant?

bipple (Dec 3, 2002 9:18:22 PM)
For re-applicants who were admitted but decided not to matriculate last year, what type of information do you look at in determining if you would like to offer them another place in next fall's entering class?

jeffz (Dec 3, 2002 9:18:23 PM)
? How was your internship? Neil, Theresa?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:18:23 PM)
It was challenging, but rewarding.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:18:36 PM)
cindy, we look at the the entire application again. For those applicants who applied last year, we will use their transcripts from the previous application. We do advise the re-applicants to consider how they spent the last year and talk about what has changed/improved since the last application.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:18:55 PM)
Neil, what was challenging? What was rewarding?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:19:20 PM)
jeffz - most people do an internship either to find out about a career they think they may be interested in, or to get a 'foot in the door' of a company that they know they would like to work at.

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:19:26 PM)
Sure, vish. I chose Stern for 3 reasons: 1. I have strong interest in media-entertainment and Stern has one of the best programs in that area. 2. upon visiting Stern I found the community to be very supportive and familial 3. since my interest is in media, NY is the place to be. In general, I found that I "fit" at Stern.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:19:39 PM)
Vish - If you are planning to apply to the part-time program and live in California, you should think carefully about how you will handle the logistics of this. Classes are in the evenings and on Saturdays, so the commute from California could be tough. Perhaps you should consider Stern's Executive MBA Program.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:19:40 PM)
In my case, I spent the summer at Lehman Bros. An excellent firm where I will be returning upon graduation.

FL1 (Dec 3, 2002 9:19:49 PM)
That's good to know. Did most of the part-time students live in NY prior to enrolling?

ThanhHa (Dec 3, 2002 9:19:57 PM)
Thanks, Julia and Neil, that's great.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:20:04 PM)
FL1, Yes.

chatty (Dec 3, 2002 9:20:23 PM)
What do you see as the most common mistakes applicants make in their essays?

Fred (Dec 3, 2002 9:20:36 PM)
Is it true that a tiny studio near campus is about $2K/month?

jeffz (Dec 3, 2002 9:20:39 PM)
? Neil, u mean u already got the offer from Lehman Bros??

jt (Dec 3, 2002 9:20:49 PM)
What kind of internship opportunities are offered by the Management and Organizational Behavior program? (I assume the internships offered will be a little different than the ones offered by the Finance / Accounting program)

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:21:05 PM)
chatty, the most common mistakes occur on the essays where applicants did not proof read. Spell check does not catch role vs. roll.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:21:10 PM)
I agree with Theresa... my decision was made to attend Stern once I visited campus. Something about the feel of the student body here is really special. The diversity creates for a very accepting environment.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:21:25 PM)
jt- Mgt and Org Behavior students may do a variety of things, including management rotation programs, as well as leadership programs. The major gives you flexibility to pursue more general management opportunities.

PaulG (Dec 3, 2002 9:21:51 PM)
I've noticed that several schools use students to take a first look at the applications. Does Stern? If so, why is that?

n8dogg (Dec 3, 2002 9:21:58 PM)
How long after submitting an application can a prospective student expect to wait before hearing about an offer for an interview or a straight rejection?

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:22:17 PM)
Fred, there are many different options. The real estate market has changed a lot in NY and prices have come down. I currently live 15 min. away from school and my rent is less than 2K. As in any major city, prices can be very high, but you can find reasonable living.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:22:33 PM)
PaulG, our Stern Torch Committee is our student admissions committee who are trained to evaluate applications and interviews. They may do the first read on applications and more.

bipple (Dec 3, 2002 9:23:08 PM)
Julia, what about applicants who decided not to matriculate last year? Do their reasons for delaying matriculation play into whether you offer them another spot in next year's class?

rsanmartin (Dec 3, 2002 9:23:27 PM)
Neil or Theresa, what has been the most important thing/experience that you have taken away so far from Stern?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:23:33 PM)
Fred - housing is expensive in NYC, but it IS possibly one of the most exciting places to live in the world. (My biased opinion of course!) You can really reduce costs by finding people to share with, or depending on which neighborhood you decide to live in.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:23:58 PM)
n8dogg - You can receive an invitation to interview, an offer of a place on the waitlist, or a denial of admission anytime between the time your application is complete and the official response deadline listed with our application materials. But please be aware that it takes us some time to process and read them, so a few weeks at the earliest.

Erick Hsu (Dec 3, 2002 9:24:00 PM)
Julia or anyone else, if possible, could you talk about the % offers for last year's applicants between the 1st and 2nd round?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:24:02 PM)
rsanmartin - that's a hard question to answer because there are so many amazing experiences which I will take with me for the rest of my life, but if I had to pick one, I would say it's the friendships I have made. A close second is the fantastic education I have received here. One that will stand me in good stead through the rest of my professional career.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:24:17 PM)
bipple, b/c people's decisions can change for various reasons, we do not automatically discount them if they did not enroll this year. We take every such applicant on a case by case basis.

vish (Dec 3, 2002 9:24:25 PM)
A big concern for the applicants is housing. How is Stern helping in that regard?

Steven (Dec 3, 2002 9:24:32 PM)
Neil, in comparison to other schools, how flexible is the second year? I want to study Strategy, but also take courses in operations.

ThanhHa (Dec 3, 2002 9:24:38 PM)
Julia, Int'l applicants have the biggest disadvantage vs. US, as they can't visit campus or attend admission events. How this will be adjusted during your review of applications?

Guest (Dec 3, 2002 9:24:51 PM)
Theresa or Neil, do either of you live in the MBA building (sorry, can't remember the name of the dorm)?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:25:19 PM)
ThanhHa, int'l students can do their due diligence by visiting our website or talking to (via email) our students or alums from your region.

John G (Dec 3, 2002 9:25:19 PM)
Hi, Everyone, I know that Stern is well involved with the Media and Entertainment Industry, and I've heard that the school will once again host the Media In Motion program, but I was wondering how successful the career development office is in attracting media and entertainment firms to recruit on campus.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:25:37 PM)
Erick - Our overall admission rate was 15%, which can vary from round to round as we do not set quotas of acceptance for each round.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:26:06 PM)
Steven, second year is really flexible. You have to satisfy your major requirements, but you can pick the electives which interest you most. Strategy is a required course in the core curriculum.

Edmund (Dec 3, 2002 9:26:26 PM)
I understand that b-schools always look for diversity. Do you have "quota" for applicants from different industries?

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:26:30 PM)
John G, We are involved as much or more than most schools in Media and Entertainment. The process is, however, different than "traditional" MBA opportunities.

jt (Dec 3, 2002 9:26:39 PM)
At your internship / post-MBA job, do you find yourself using more of the "book" knowledge taught in Stern, or do you use more of the "soft" skills (i.e., analytical, creative skills) developed overtime at Stern? How closely related are the information taught in class and what you actually have to do on the job?

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:25:39 PM)
rsanmartin, I would say balance and time management. I'm a first year and it can be overwhelming if you think about all the things you have on your plate. As far as experience goes, I've developed some really great friendships that I will definitely have for years to come.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:25:44 PM)
Edmund, we do not have quota for any particular criteria.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:25:47 PM)
Vish - Stern offers a brand new housing option called 'the Palladium'. I stayed there last year and it's really great because it comes furnished, and all utilities are included (like high speed internet, phone, cable, etc)

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:25:58 PM)
John G, Much of the process revolves around networking. Many of the companies don't recruit physically on campus because they are not looking for a lot of MBAs - perhaps one or two per.

sprouts_2000 (Dec 3, 2002 9:26:31 PM)
Can the Langone Curriculum accommodate someone with such varied interests (in terms of co-majors ) as Management, E-commerce, Entrepreneurship, & Int'l Business?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:26:36 PM)
jt - Stern makes a point to make sure what they teach you in class has real world applications.

FL1 (Dec 3, 2002 9:26:38 PM)
Susan, do you think I should state on my application that I could postpone my admission in order to give me time to transfer and move to NY? I would think this would help my chances. Will NYU admit students for 2004 now?

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:26:39 PM)
John G, this is why being in a location (like NY) and having a network (partially through clubs like our Media and Entertainment, our professors and coursework) can make a difference.

Keynes (Dec 3, 2002 9:26:59 PM)
I read an online article about NYU's COIN program and ICC (Inner-city Consulting Corps), but couldn't find much info on the Stern website. Could you direct me to a place where I can learn more about these programs?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:27:02 PM)
I worked in sales and trading over the summer, and found that many of the basic finance and quantitative courses were invaluable

chatty (Dec 3, 2002 9:27:16 PM)
Julia, what aspect do you see Stern wanting to improve in the nearest future?

ThanhHa (Dec 3, 2002 9:27:24 PM)
Julia, in my experience, phone interviews cannot compare with in campus ones.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:27:34 PM)
sprouts, the Langone program is the same as the full time program in offering the same areas of study.

rsanmartin (Dec 3, 2002 9:27:52 PM)
Neil, I know what you mean about friendships. I visited Stern earlier this year, and the students are great. Stern is my first choice, and if I'm lucky enough to be accepted, is there anything you recommend I do to help prepare me for my first year?

yansong (Dec 3, 2002 9:28:02 PM)
Hi, Julia. How many Asian students have been accepted last year?

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:28:04 PM)
Keynes, it will be available shortly.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:28:05 PM)
FL1 - If you are confident that you will be moving, you can go ahead and apply, but make sure you build in time to relocate prior to the beginning of Pre-Term, which takes place about a week and a half before classes begin for Langone students.

jeffz (Dec 3, 2002 9:28:13 PM)
?What is the earliest time that we can hear about a decision for Round 1 applicants?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:28:15 PM)
ThanhHa, I would agree with you on this - we always encourage everyone to interview in NYC. This will allow you to have lunch with our current students, visit a class and perhaps attend one of the CEO series that we have.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:28:51 PM)
rsanmartin - Nothing you really need to do to prepare. Stern offers a 'pre-term' program which gets you up to speed on everything you need to know. To 'prepare', I went backpacking around the world for 4 months!! :)

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:28:52 PM)
According to BW, Stern accepted 9% of re-applicants who applied and had a 15% overall acceptance rate. Is this a statistical anomaly or do you set the bar higher for re-applicants? When you review the new application, do you have the evaluation from the previous year's app?

jvisek (Dec 3, 2002 9:29:03 PM)
Julia, what kinds of things are admissions looking for in the references... especially the question asking for what could be improved?

Mike23 (Dec 3, 2002 9:29:06 PM)
What do you guys think about finance courses at the School of Continuing and Professional Studies between now and next year when I apply? I am an IT guy looking to move to Finance.

FL1 (Dec 3, 2002 9:29:20 PM)
Thanks, Julia. Also, I'm currently 24 and have around 3-4 years of experience, depending on whether you count my work during my undergrad. Will this hurt my chances for the Langone program?

Fred (Dec 3, 2002 9:29:22 PM)
What is the "Beer Blast?"

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:29:33 PM)
jeffz- It will take us several weeks to process and begin evaluating applications. You will hear anytime between now and the response deadline.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:29:34 PM)
Linda, I don't think that this is an anomaly. We do look for improvements/changes from last year's application. But I would not say that it is more difficult for re-applicants to be admitted.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:29:48 PM)
Fred, as the name implies, it involves beer and is a blast!! To be more clear, it's a time every Thursday when all the students get together to socialize and exchange stories from the week. Stern is a very social environment, and beer blast is just one of the many manifestations of that.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:30:24 PM)
But there is clearly no "re-applicant advantage" either.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:30:37 PM)
FL1 - No, the typical student has anywhere from 1-10 years of work experience, with the average being 4.5.

Fred (Dec 3, 2002 9:30:44 PM)
What is a weakness that Stern is working to address?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:30:49 PM)
Linda, you can say that, but we do consider the commitment level of these folks.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:31:18 PM)
Fred -We all agree here that we have no weaknesses!!

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:31:19 PM)
OK. Thanks. Do you provide feedback to rejected applicants over the summer?

vish (Dec 3, 2002 9:31:32 PM)
Neil and Theresa - do you think that the lack of campus and NYC location precludes networking opportunities among students?

John G (Dec 3, 2002 9:31:36 PM)
Thank you Gary, that's what I thought. Could you tell me roughly what proportion of students at Stern are looking for opportunities in Media and Entertainment, and how popular are the media courses that are offered?

Edmund (Dec 3, 2002 9:31:42 PM)
? If the accepted applicant doesn't go to Stern, where are they going?

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:31:55 PM)
mike23, whatever you can do to prepare yourself for course work at Stern is great. I didn't do that, so I had to work a little harder. But, I've found that the professors have been great and really helpful.

rsanmartin (Dec 3, 2002 9:31:59 PM)
Julia, I apologize if this question was asked earlier, when does Stern normally receive the CGSM applications (12/01 deadline)? Also when should CGSM applicants expect to receive feedback (interview or rejection letter) from NYU?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:32:02 PM)
Linda, as our process is holistic and comparative, we do not give feedback to denied applicants. However, we do give them a list of criteria of areas that we considered during our review, including resume, academics, recs, etc.

FL1 (Dec 3, 2002 9:32:44 PM)
Julia, would you consider full-time work experience in my field of IT as valid work experience even though it wasn't post-grad? I worked full time during my undergrad.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:32:46 PM)
Fred -good? I don't know the exact number for either but I can tell you that approximately 100 students earned a certificate in Media and Entertainment and we are checking, but we think there are approx 15 courses.

cindy tokumitsu (Dec 3, 2002 9:33:10 PM)
How do you view the GMAT score in the context of the overall application? What do you learn from the score that you couldn't get from the transcript(s) and w/e?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:33:17 PM)
vish - I don't think so. I did my undergraduate at a traditional big campus school. I think I actually prefer being right in the city, like Stern is. The only problem is that there are so many things to do, you have to plan in advance where you want to meet up with friends. But like I said before, Stern is really social. Almost every night of the week I am out with friends (either studying or enjoying other more entertaining activities).

jt (Dec 3, 2002 9:33:20 PM)
Has Manhattan helped you in any way in your MBA / post-MBA plans? If so, how?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:33:24 PM)
rsanmartin, we anticipated receiving CGSM apps mid to late Dec. CGSM applicants will have a similar decision time - 2-8 weeks.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:34:05 PM)
jt - being in Manhattan is a HUGE advantage. When I was looking for my internship, I had the opportunity to jump in a cab and visit with companies I thought I might want to work at. By the time official recruiting began, I was already on a first name basis with many of the recruiters.

Fred (Dec 3, 2002 9:34:18 PM)
What activities does Stern offer to visiting prospectives besides a class visit and info session? Lunch with a student? Can we go to beer blast?

FL1 (Dec 3, 2002 9:34:34 PM)
Can anybody specify the essay limits, please. The application states that responses are to be 2 pages double spaced but says nothing about word counts, font size, etc. What's a standard word count on essay responses?

jt (Dec 3, 2002 9:34:54 PM)
How many hours a day, on average, do you guys spend on studying / doing projects?

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:35:11 PM)
FL1 - We look at your entire work history in the context of your professional exposure and development. But we do want to see some full time post grad work experience.

vish (Dec 3, 2002 9:35:16 PM)
Any advise for the interviews ?

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:35:25 PM)
Edmund. Stern was my top choice. But I know of others who have gone to other top business schools in urban areas.

FL1 (Dec 3, 2002 9:35:30 PM)
Is the Digital Economy Initiative available for Part-time students?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:35:53 PM)
vish, we encourage you to review your application before the interview. In addition, you should do some research on Stern so that you can convince us Why Stern?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:35:56 PM)
Fred - you are correct. There are information sessions and class visits. Once you are invited for an interview you will have the opportunity to have lunch with a student and visit a class.

jt (Dec 3, 2002 9:36:22 PM)
How does Stern teach its students? (what's the balance between lecture, case study, group projects?)

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:36:35 PM)
jt - a combination of all of those.

bipple (Dec 3, 2002 9:36:43 PM)
Julia, do you typically require re-applicants to interview again? Even the ones who were admitted last year?

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:36:46 PM)
FL1 - Use your good judgment in the length of your essays - what would typically be enough to answer the question succinctly and is approximately two standard typed double spaced pages in a reasonably sized font.

rsanmartin (Dec 3, 2002 9:36:49 PM)
Gary, from my understanding Stern's OCD does not place a limit on how many times a Stern student can make an appointment to see a career advisor. I want to make sure that this is correct.

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:37:02 PM)
jt, it feels like 24 hours 7 days of the week. But in reality it's probably close to 20-30 hours a week.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:37:09 PM)
bipple, for some re-applicants, we do ask them for another interview.

jvisek (Dec 3, 2002 9:37:13 PM)
Does everyone get an interview option?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:37:14 PM)
depending on the subject material, it is either taught in a lecture format, class discussion, or case study method. Stern wants to make sure you get out of here with a well rounded education.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:37:16 PM)
FL1 - Regarding Digital Economy, yes.

Edmund (Dec 3, 2002 9:37:23 PM)
Do students actively participate in Stern's exchange program? what countries / schools do they go to?

n8dogg (Dec 3, 2002 9:37:26 PM)
What class size are you aiming for this year? I've heard that the total class size has been coming down the last few years.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:38:09 PM)
rsanmartin - This is correct. We feel it's important to develop full relationships with students as they need it.

Fred (Dec 3, 2002 9:38:18 PM)
I have read on the website that Stern is interested in attracting the best professors. Have any new professors joined the faculty in the last year?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:38:22 PM)
Edmund, we do have a fair number of students going on the exchange program. Please visit our website for a complete listing of our host schools - they represent the entire world in every continent.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:38:27 PM)
I know what you mean, Theresa... Getting an MBA is an entire life encompassing experience. It teaches you as much about theory and relationships as it does about personal time management. I have a million things going on ever day!

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:38:35 PM)
n8dogg - similar to last year.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:38:41 PM)
What do you like best at NYU?

jeffz (Dec 3, 2002 9:38:47 PM)
Can you comment on scholarships, Ms Min?

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:38:55 PM)
jvisek, interviews are by invitation of the admissions committee. Unfortunately, we're not able to invite all applicants to interview.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:39:19 PM)
Fred, we do have stellar faculty joining us. We have Adam Brandenberger who is a leading game theorist, Niall Ferguson from Oxford, leading financial historian - wrote about the Rothschilds. Tom Sargent and Russ Winer are both joining us from schools in California.

FL1 (Dec 3, 2002 9:39:38 PM)
What exactly is the Digital Economy Initiative? Is it a major or co-major? Does it appear on your degree or is it a separate certificate?

vish (Dec 3, 2002 9:40:12 PM)
Julia, can you talk a bit about the new initiatives dean Cooley has undertaken recently?

rsanmartin (Dec 3, 2002 9:40:38 PM)
Gary I know last year was a very difficult year in terms of students receiving internships (but yet 92 % of Stern students did get an internship). How is the recruiting looking compared to last year? Are more companies holding interviews on campus?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:40:50 PM)
I am actually signed up to take the game theory with Brandenberger. He is supposed to be one of the leading minds on game theory and its practical business applications.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:40:53 PM)
FL1, It is not a major or co-major but you can get a certificate that indicates your interest and emphasis in that area.

vish (Dec 3, 2002 9:41:03 PM)
I heard him talk about COIN/ICC.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:41:20 PM)
rsanmartin - for summer internships it has held about the same.

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:41:26 PM)
Linda, there are so many things that I like about NYU. The people are great, classes are challenging, I'm in NY, which makes it easy to set up informational interviews with potential employees. Exposure to many top executives in the business is also great.

chatty (Dec 3, 2002 9:41:42 PM)
Can int'l students get loans from Stern?

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:41:55 PM)
Neil, what do you like best?

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:41:57 PM)
rsanmartin, for full time we have seen a drop, as more companies are looking to fill full time positions based on recruiting their summer interns into full time positions.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:42:02 PM)
Thanks, Theresa.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:42:10 PM)
jeffz, our scholarships are awarded on the merit of your admissions application. The deadline was Dec 1.

Edmund (Dec 3, 2002 9:42:32 PM)
FL1 has reminded me. What really is an initiative? This was the question I had when I was reading the brochure.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:42:50 PM)
Linda - that's kind of hard to answer because the experience is so encompassing. I would have to say a combination of the social community and the strong academic program... although that just begins to touch the surface.

jeffz (Dec 3, 2002 9:43:05 PM)

Fred (Dec 3, 2002 9:43:10 PM)
Does Stern offer current students a way to earn money?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:43:13 PM)
chatty, int'l students can get loans at Stern. If you visit our website you can download loan applications.

John G (Dec 3, 2002 9:43:18 PM)
What happens during the 4:30 Full-time Program Information Sessions? How long do they last, and how much time is available for questions?

jt (Dec 3, 2002 9:43:44 PM)
Does NYU offer on campus housing?

Mike23 (Dec 3, 2002 9:43:46 PM)
What goes on in the Sales and Trading Club?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:44:17 PM)
jt, NYU does offer on campus housing. Stern has a dedicated floor in a new building called the Palladium on Union Square just for the MBAs.

Jay77 (Dec 3, 2002 9:44:18 PM)
I would like to know about the requirements of the PhD program.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:44:29 PM)
John G - the 4:30 information sessions are run by graduate students (like myself) and typically last about an hour to an hour and a half. They include a tour of the facilities, a power point information session, and time for Q&A.

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:44:34 PM)
Fred, yes there are opportunities for teaching fellows, graduate assistantships.

jt (Dec 3, 2002 9:44:51 PM)
Julia: I assume the availability is very limited? How much does it cost?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:44:55 PM)
I highly suggest attending one :)

bipple (Dec 3, 2002 9:45:05 PM)
Julia, can married students find a room in the Palladium?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:45:07 PM)
Jay77, we recommend that you email them directly at phd@stern.nyu.edu

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:45:11 PM)
Edmund - An Initiative is an area that Stern is focusing on in terms of research and teaching interests, but which is cross-disciplinary. They are constantly evolving, whereas majors are fixed according to traditional functional business areas.

rsanmartin (Dec 3, 2002 9:45:16 PM)
Gary, so it is even more important now to receive an internship offer. Speaking to current students, one of the things that appeals to me about NYU over other business schools is the ease to setup interviews. All the students that I spoke to mention that they don't have to miss any class while interviewing. They just need to give themselves a 2 hr block in between classes.

scott (Dec 3, 2002 9:45:44 PM)
How would you describe the social scene at Stern? DO students mostly socialize together or do they normally go off and do their own thing?

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:45:50 PM)
Mike23 - the s&T club does a lot of networking with Inv Banks.

yansong (Dec 3, 2002 9:45:58 PM)
Is there any difference between paper application and electronic application?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:46:04 PM)
jt, the rooms are on first come first served basis, but I don't believe anyone has been turned away. The price will be released early spring, but it is comparable to market value for a studio.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:46:12 PM)
jt - my experience last year with student housing was that everyone who wanted a spot got one.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:46:31 PM)
Mike23, they have them come on campus, they arrange visits to the trading floor, they invite alums to help them come to campus to prep for interviews, and they do sales and trading initiatives.

Keynes (Dec 3, 2002 9:46:35 PM)
I'll be in the NYC area over the holidays. I realize school will be out, but are there any information sessions or other Stern activities during the late December / early January time frame?

Jay77 (Dec 3, 2002 9:46:39 PM)
How differently do you consider the applications of international students. Do they have a quota?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:46:53 PM)
yansong, there is no difference b/t paper or electronic apps when we review.

vish (Dec 3, 2002 9:47:00 PM)
Neil, what was the rent last year for the Palladium?

Fred (Dec 3, 2002 9:47:13 PM)
To piggyback on Scott's question, can prospectives attend beer blast to get a "feel" for the student dynamic at Stern?

jt (Dec 3, 2002 9:47:39 PM)
Julia, comparable to market value of a studio, I assume it'd be around $2000 a month? :)

Mike23 (Dec 3, 2002 9:47:45 PM)
Thanks, Gary! Can't wait to join.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:47:50 PM)
rsanmartin, for internships, all first round interviews are done before classes begin. It lets you focus more and only on the interview process.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:47:50 PM)
jay77, we do not have any quota for int'l students. We consider them as we would any other applicant, but with a different background.

rsanmartin (Dec 3, 2002 9:48:04 PM)
Does NYU offer housing for married students?

chatty (Dec 3, 2002 9:48:30 PM)
Hi Neil, do you feel studying general management at Stern gives you an edge that the recruiters are looking for?

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:48:34 PM)
scott, the social scene is what you make of it. There are so many things to do in NY. Generally, students from NY tend to hang out more with friends in the city; however, Stern is a surprisingly tight knit community, so you will find that students will hang out. Also, the fact that we work in groups helps to promote social bonding.

Edmund (Dec 3, 2002 9:48:44 PM)
Thanks, Gary, that's crystal clear.

Jay77 (Dec 3, 2002 9:48:48 PM)
Have average and the range of GMAT scores seen an increase in the past 1-2 years?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:48:49 PM)
rsanmartin, we will offer a very limited number of married housing this year.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:48:52 PM)
vish - I don't remember the exact amount. I believe it was around $15,000 for 9 months for the private studio. That included all utilities as I mentioned earlier, and a full gym. Another benefit is no brokerage fee, and no deposit required... which is very nice in NYC.

Paul_Bodine (Dec 3, 2002 9:48:54 PM)
Do you believe that recruiting companies are increasingly relying on the summer internship to determine who they hire post-MBA or about the same as always?

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:49:05 PM)
Keynes, our offices are closed from Dec 23- Jan1. The campus will be pretty quiet until classes start later in the month (27th) with the exception of interviewing for 1st years.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:49:30 PM)
Edmund, sure thing.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:49:44 PM)
jay77, our ranges and averages for the GMAT have increased in the 1-2 years, but keep in mind that GMAT is not the only factor in the evaluation process, but one of them.

BryanSise (Dec 3, 2002 9:49:56 PM)
Hello Julia, can you comment on the representation of people with entrepreneurship experience in your recent accepted classes? Any comments on how Stern views and evaluates people with an entrepreneurial background? Thanks!

jt (Dec 3, 2002 9:50:07 PM)
How do you think Stern has shaped you (non-academically) over the course of the study? which skills do you think you have improved the most because of Stern?

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:50:52 PM)
Paul_Bodine, yeah.. we are seeing companies rely more on summer internships. This is not the sole way of getting a full time offer, however. Many rely on full time recruiting still, as well as off campus opportunities through job postings or networking.

John G (Dec 3, 2002 9:51:10 PM)
Once a student, what are the criteria for obtaining a teaching fellowship or graduate assistantship, and when are they available?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:51:13 PM)
jt - Not to sound clichd, but Stern will change your life. You learn about responsibility, initiative, relationships, and life in general.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:51:28 PM)
BryanSise, Stern always sees a good presentation of folks with entrepreneurial backgrounds. We evaluate them on how they fared (not monetarily only, but how they got to that point), lessons learned, how they changed with their biz and market, etc.

vish (Dec 3, 2002 9:51:30 PM)
Gary, did you say that classes for the spring term begins on Jan. 27th?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:51:45 PM)
I can't really say what exactly you will get out of the program, because everyone is different, but it will definitely change your life. Hugely for the better in my opinion.

yansong (Dec 3, 2002 9:51:48 PM)
How important is GPA?

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:52:26 PM)
Is there an advantage to applying in different rounds? Do you accept more people first round than second, second than third?

jvisek (Dec 3, 2002 9:52:43 PM)
Yes, how important is GPA and your college career; how much should we stress this on an application? Feels like ages ago!

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:52:49 PM)
JT, I'm definitely building on my leadership, communication and networking skills. Interestingly enough, a critical skill that I'm building is negotiating, critical for the group work here at Stern.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:53:18 PM)
Where have you worked on your negotiating skills? In class or a club?

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:53:31 PM)
John G - You can be a teaching or graduate fellow during your second year. Some of the jobs are with professors, others are in administrative offices, like Admissions. You apply for positions that interest you and may go through an interview process depending on what type of position you want.

vish (Dec 3, 2002 9:53:43 PM)
Neil and Theresa- could you comment upon some of the popular electives?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:53:51 PM)
yansong, GPA and GMAT will allow us to assess your academic potential at Stern.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:53:53 PM)
vish- yes classes for the spring semester start on Jan 27th.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:53:53 PM)
It is quite an honor to be in class with many of the students who come to school here. The school does an excellent job of attracting the brightest minds and best talents from all over the world. It's even more of an honor to call most of the students my personal friends. These are people who I know will be in prominent roles in society down the road. Not a bad group of friends to have in your rolodex!!

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:54:33 PM)
Linda, classes and club activities have definitely contributed to my negotiation skills.

vish (Dec 3, 2002 9:55:09 PM)
Gary, so if invited for an interview - is it better to schedule it after the 27th - or it would be too late for the decision time frame?

scott (Dec 3, 2002 9:55:15 PM)
Julia -- if an applicant has taken several post-bachelors classes and made good grades, how much will that compensate for a poor undergraduate GPA?

yansong (Dec 3, 2002 9:55:19 PM)
Thanks, Julia. Which one is more important? Graduate GPA or undergraduate GPA?

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:55:55 PM)
vish - sorry for some of the confusion. The interview process I discussed earlier is for first year students interviewing for summer internships.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:55:59 PM)
scott, we will definitely consider post bachelor courses to supplement or complement your UG GPA. Shows a nice self awareness.

jt (Dec 3, 2002 9:56:13 PM)
Another GPA related question: Let's say person A got a 2.8 from a top tier school, and person B got a 3.5 from a 2nd tear school. Do you take consideration into which institution issued the GPA?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:56:17 PM)
vish - depends on what interests you. Some students choose electives based upon the reputation of the professor teaching it. Many of our professors (Damodaran, Yermack, Silber, Sylla to name a few) are amongst the most highly respected lecturers in their field in the world. They actually make dry subjects like partial differential equations or autoregressive conditional heteroskedascicity interesting.

Paul_Bodine (Dec 3, 2002 9:56:19 PM)
What courses is Niall Ferguson teaching that Stern students are taking?

mmny (Dec 3, 2002 9:56:28 PM)
Julia, is this year's first round more competitive than last year? More applicants applied for the Dec. 1 deadline compared with the last year's.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:56:30 PM)
yansong, Stern will consider both UG and grad.

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:57:03 PM)
Paul_Bodine, financial history.

Edmund (Dec 3, 2002 9:57:10 PM)
Linda, I thought Stern did rolling admissons. Now I am confused. I asked a similar question today.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:57:23 PM)
mmny, we are still receiving apps from the first deadline, but the numbers look comparable to last year.

Jay77 (Dec 3, 2002 9:57:49 PM)
Do you think the downturn in the economy caused an increase in the number of applicants?

mmny (Dec 3, 2002 9:57:55 PM)
Thanks, Julia.

Thomas (Dec 3, 2002 9:58:02 PM)
Julia, if an applicant has a strong undergraduate GPA and solid, progressive work experience, what would be the minimum GMAT score required?

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:58:02 PM)
vish - Depending on when you are invited to interview, you can then decide when to schedule - either before students come back for class or after. You receive a decision approximately 2-3 weeks after your interview.

jeffz (Dec 3, 2002 9:58:23 PM)
? What percentage of the class will be from the first round

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:58:38 PM)
Jay77, economics may have had some impact, but I also think that an MBA degree is a great credential to have at any time.

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 9:59:26 PM)
Jeffz, as we said above, we do not assign quotas of acceptance for each round, as they can vary from year to year.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 9:59:30 PM)
Theresa and Neil, are there any professors that you found particularly worthwhile?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 9:59:38 PM)
Thomas, there is no minimum or maximum for our scores or GPA. We look at your academic potential as one component of your application.

Fred (Dec 3, 2002 9:59:49 PM)
How many first round applicants last year were offered an interview?

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 10:00:13 PM)
Linda - they are all great, but some of my favorites are Silber, Damodaran, Yermack, and Sylla.

bipple (Dec 3, 2002 10:00:31 PM)
Julia, do you typically find any difference in the percentage of first and second round applicants that are admitted?

Thomas (Dec 3, 2002 10:00:37 PM)
Thank you, Julia.

TheresaKerrnyu (Dec 3, 2002 10:00:55 PM)
Linda, I'm taking Professor William Silber and Dan Gode. Both have been great!!

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 10:01:10 PM)
Fred, our process is rolling, so I am not sure how many we interviewed from our first deadline, but overall, we interview around 25-30%.

jvisek (Dec 3, 2002 10:01:18 PM)
When you say first and second round, can I assume this is regarding the Full Time Program and not the Part Time? Thanks

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 10:01:28 PM)
Jvisek - correct.

Edmund (Dec 3, 2002 10:01:45 PM)
I have invited a colleague, who is also a Stern graduate, to the chat. btw, we are in the office. He is next to me. Kevin says Yermack and Damodaran are great profs. Prof. Damodaran has written books on valuation.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 10:01:45 PM)
Bipple, there is no difference but it varies year to year.

Erick Hsu (Dec 3, 2002 10:01:49 PM)
Damodaran is great. I took a Corporate Finance training class with him as an IB analyst. He made the class a LOT of fun.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 10:02:06 PM)
Any questions?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 10:02:11 PM)
Edmund, he is correct.

NeilSnoepnyu (Dec 3, 2002 10:02:35 PM)
Yes - Damodaran has written extensively on equity valuation and is one of the most respected researchers in that area. Best of all, he makes it interesting.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 10:03:12 PM)
Last three questions.

mmny (Dec 3, 2002 10:03:23 PM)
Julia, if an applicant is not currently employed, will this will affect negatively on the decision of admissions, although the applicant's previous work experiences are excellent?

Steven (Dec 3, 2002 10:03:46 PM)
Julia, is it true that only strong candidates the "hot shots" apply in the first round?

scott (Dec 3, 2002 10:03:53 PM)
Julia--As you know, you only require two recommendations, but does it enhance the application by providing a third or fourth recommendation?

jvisek (Dec 3, 2002 10:03:55 PM)
I would just like to know what stands out in an application to you all?

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 10:04:13 PM)
mmny, it depends on how the applicant has spent their time since last employment. As the process is holistic, we will consider other factors other just employment. But if you are unemployed, I would recommend letting the adcom know how you have kept busy.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 10:04:14 PM)
I know I said three, but my mouse got trigger happy. :-)

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 10:04:51 PM)
Steven - We see a variety of candidates in each round, but people who are interested in scholarships typically apply for the 1st round.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 10:05:20 PM)
scott, we recommend that you submit our required 2, but if you think that the other 2 will add a different dimension to your application, that is fine.

mmny (Dec 3, 2002 10:06:00 PM)
Thanks, Julia.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 10:06:27 PM)
Good luck, everyone. We look forward to reading your applications and maybe seeing some of you here.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 10:06:29 PM)
Thank you all again for participating this evening. Special thanks to Julia, Gary, Theresa, and Neil for joining us this evening and to Cindy Tokumitsu and Paul Bodine for their assistance.

JuliaMinNYU (Dec 3, 2002 10:06:37 PM)
Thank you, Linda.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 10:06:37 PM)
We look forward to seeing you at future chats. Here is a list of currently scheduled chats:

GaryFrasernyu (Dec 3, 2002 10:06:45 PM)
Jvisek - we truly look at the entire application and, beyond the standard parts of the application, we look for qualities that will contribute to the NYU Stern community - and this can be found in a variety of areas and can be different for each individual applicant.

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 10:06:51 PM)
Dec. 10 - UNC; Dec. 16 - Indiana Jan. 13 - INSEAD; Jan. 20 - USC

Paul_Bodine (Dec 3, 2002 10:06:56 PM)
Thank you, Stern. Very informative!

Edmund (Dec 3, 2002 10:06:59 PM)
merci beaucoup, Julia and the rest of you.

Jay77 (Dec 3, 2002 10:07:04 PM)
Thanks, Julia, Theresa and Gary for the info provided.

bipple (Dec 3, 2002 10:07:06 PM)
Thank you, everyone!

yansong (Dec 3, 2002 10:07:07 PM)
Thanks, Julia and all.

jvisek (Dec 3, 2002 10:07:09 PM)
Thank you!

jt (Dec 3, 2002 10:07:11 PM)
Thanks, guys.

jt (Dec 3, 2002 10:07:25 PM)
Is there going to be a transcript of this chat?

chatty (Dec 3, 2002 10:07:28 PM)
Thanks, guys!

Fred (Dec 3, 2002 10:07:32 PM)
Thank you, folks.

mmny (Dec 3, 2002 10:07:33 PM)
Thanks a lot!!

John G (Dec 3, 2002 10:07:35 PM)
Thanks, everyone

Thomas (Dec 3, 2002 10:07:38 PM)
Thank you all for this opportunity.

scott (Dec 3, 2002 10:07:39 PM)
I enjoyed it. Thanks!

cindy tokumitsu (Dec 3, 2002 10:07:42 PM)
Thank you, everyone from Stern. Good luck to the applicants!

Linda Abraham (Dec 3, 2002 10:07:53 PM)
Have a very good evening! Good luck with your applications!

MBA Chat Transcript Index || Chat Room